[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 426
Thread images: 30

File: 1478203541961.png (2MB, 1157x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478203541961.png
2MB, 1157x1080px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/..>>50218069
>>
So I've got a friend that wants to play as a "tinkerer" in the upcoming campaign.

This sounds interesting enough but I have absolutely no idea how to incorporate it into the game. Is there a list anywhere of materials/cost/time or is it all just general?

How do trades like this even scale? I've never done anything like this before in an RPG and I'd like to make it work out nice.
>>
>>50227035
>we finally got a bugbearmont OP
>>
tfw no group
>>
>>50226787
Barely any reason to go warlock multiclass, especially when you really need those levels for bladesinger.

If you went 2 levels in warlock, you'd just pick up agonizing blast which would completely destroy the point of trying to be a skirmisher at all.
The bladesinger's melee attack is basically a 'slightly better than wizard cantrips when your spells are used up and worse than a warlocks cantrip blasting' set-up. However, you could benefit quite well from pole-arm master if it wasn't for the fact quarterstaves or whatever weapon would run off of strength/wisdom/charisma rather than dexterity, when dexterity is the stat you really want here.

Warlock is a much better multiclass for EK or paladin or something.

If you want survivability, you can get your first level in fighter or something for armour and then the rest in wizard.
>>
File: 1479077540639.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
1479077540639.pdf
1B, 486x500px
<- is fucking cool.
>>
>>50227052
Gnome has a subclass related to this, there are some magic items too that can help with inspiration

>>50227064
I took the first /5eg/ related image that I could think of

>>50227075
>tfw I have a group but we play less than once per month
>>
is there an audio only version of Critical Roll? Matt Colville talks about it and a D&D campaign using pro VAs sounds like a fucking hoot but i listen to podcast at work and my works wifi doesn't let youtube load
>>
File: 1370759293732.jpg (127KB, 960x770px) Image search: [Google]
1370759293732.jpg
127KB, 960x770px
what flip-mat's would /5eg/ recommend for tabletop playing?

Also, is it wise to cut it into smaller pieces?
>>
So Shadowmonk 6/Thief 14 is pretty much agreed to be ninja incarnate, but what's the proper level, skill, and ASI progression if you were to start with one at level 1 all the way to 20 so that you are always useful?
>>
>>50227141
Try downloading it as an mp3 using a converter
>>
>>50227093
Dayum, where does this come from? Is it homebrew or in Volo's?
>>
>>50227240
homebrew
>>
>>50227035
>>50218069
So, I've heard it said that they 5e is too swingy/random (particularly by people who prefer something like shadowrun, which is much less swingy in general and gets less swingy the higher your skill goes.

So here's a though on how you might decrease swinginess in 5e, if so desired.

Why might this be a bad idea to make bonuses more important? Poke holes in this idea, would you?

Main Roll
V1
>http://anydice.com/program/9d88
>Replace 1d20 with 3d6 (or 3d62dF for the full 1-20 range)
>Adv/Disadv are done using 5d6 drop 2 {+2dF?}.
>The fudge dice do very little to the probability spread, mostly just stretching it out to the full 1-20 range

V2
>http://anydice.com/program/9d89
>Replace 1d20 with 2d8+1d6
>Adv/Disadv are done using 3d8 drop 1{+1d6}
>It's already a 1-20 range, but shifted +2, so 3-22.
>Either have the dice rolled be calculated at -2, or adjust all DCs and such by +2. (Same result)
>>
There are no AoOs, right?

What prevents spellcasting in melee? Is there any downside to just casting spells no matter where your enemies are relative to you?
>>
>>50227301
But there /are/ attacks of opportunity. If a hostile creature voluntarily moves away from you.
Spellcasting is not hindered in general, except ranged spell attacks, which are rolled with disadvantage, if you're in melee range of a hostile creature.
>>
>>50227301
There are AoOs in asmuch as moving out of a target's threat range gives them the option to spend a reaction to attack you, but grogs will scream up and down that this totally isn't an opportunity attack.

With regards to spellcasting in melee, casting a spell with an attack roll (Ray of Frost, Searing Ray) imposes disadvantage if you are within 5 feet of an enemy, and anything with the Mage Slayer feat can use their reaction to smack you for casting nex tto them. But there's nothing beyond that.
>>
>>50227301
AoOs can happen under certain conditions, and unless you're a Tunnel Fighter you only get one until the start of your next turn.
If you cast a spell that makes a ranged attack when an enemy is next to you, you have disadvantage unless you have Crossbow Expert. If you have Mage Slayer, you can make an AoO on a caster next to you and you have advantage on saves against any spell made within 5ft of you. If you cast a concentration spell in a group of hostiles, they can try to hit you and break your concentration.
>>
>>50227079
Yeah, I didn't consider that both Hex and Haste are concentration spells and the defensive benefits of Haste outweigh the benefits of Hex, so I'm going to forget about that Warlock dip. I kind've wanted to do one for flavour, fluffing it as getting dragged into a deal with a fellow party member Patron but going full Wizard is also fine with me.

I'm pretty dead-set on being a skirmisher with a heavy crowd control focus to fulfil a missing niche in our party if our current character dies.

>>50227141
My first thought was watching a previous broadcast on twitch in audio only mode, but you need to subscribe to their channel for that.

>>50227301
There are AoOs, see page 195 in the player's handbook.

You also take disadvantage for making ranged spell attacks with adjacent enemies.
>>
>>50227218
max dex
then take lucky/alert/observant/sharpshooter/resilient or max wis if you anticipate never getting magical armor ever
>>
>>50227336
I didn't know about that last one. Do you mean they can hit you in their turn, or as an AoO?
If the former, then that's how I know it.
>>
>>50227171
>What flip mat
If you have to go with a flip mat, I like the paizo ones. They fold up, and you can draw on them with wet erase markers and wipe it off at the en of the night. Just need a box of tissues and a glass of water.

Personally, I prefer a bigger, DIY solution. Battlegrid Tablecloth.

Battlegrid Tablecloth
>Buy Fabric interfacing at a fabric store that has a 1 inch grid.
>Iron it onto some cheap fabric of the same size.
>Cut to size.
>Tape or sew the edges to avoid slowly unraveling.
>(Mine was white interfacing on chestnut brown fabric. Interfacing is somewhat transparent, so it came out a greyish with a brown texture)
>Buy an acrylic tablecloth protector from somewhere like walmart, and work on getting out any wrinkles
>Put fabric on table, and acrylic over top.
>Whole-table battlegrid.
>Draw-able.
>Easily Cleaned.
>Cost:
>Few hours of time.
>~$35 in supplies.
>>
>>50227035
>ranged spell attacks
I've been looking, and am unsure.
Are these Prof+Dex, or Prof+Cast Stat?
>>
>>50227351
If an enemy hits you, either as a reaction or on their turn, you have to make concentration check. So, the former mostly, unless you do something to provoke an AoO like running out of a threatened square.
>>
>>50227372
Prof+cast stat. Plus there might be magical items that add to it.
>>
>>50227171
I would not cut it into pieces, no.

If you need something smaller for storage, >>50227360, the paizo mats fold up to 8.5x11.

>>50227384
Thanks
>>
>>50227350
But don't you need to be unarmored to get monk abilities?
>>
File: 1465254681827.jpg (80KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1465254681827.jpg
80KB, 600x450px
How's that campaign coming along /5eg/?
>>
>>50227402
We didn't play tonight because the wizard has a sore throat. Fuck everything.
>>
>>50227300
This seems a lot slower in play. If you're using an online client with macros, it should be usable, though.

Advantage/Disadvantage is reasonably consistent on its own, though.
>>
>>50227402
I've stalled it for now because I'm completely stuck. One of the characters got themselves into an interrogation scene and I have no idea on how to do it or what even the interrogator's goal should be aside from "getting out secrets" from him because he seems suspicious.
>>
How do I bring a group of players together compellingly?

I want them to feel a common cause not just accept that they have to work together because that's how D&D works.

Also I'd prefer something that isn't "Your beloved home village that you all live in is attacked."
>>
>>50227402
I made my party fight a cult of vegepygmies and Audrey II.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ea5jKFGgUw

The warlocks are having a spat, the druid is selling her soul devils by inches, the bard is the only good alignment and they're basically lost in the Mwangi Expanse because it's being run in the pathfinder setting.

Overall, pretty good.
>>
>>50227410
The number of dice chosen for Adv in both examples was to be roughly the bonus as Adv with 1d20 ~(+3.33)

Is that the only real concern you've got is that it might be too slow (would have to test that and see if it's worth the tradeoff).
>>
>>50227415
Who are they being interrogated by? Would these people resort to torture? Could the PC / party potentially have an ally who has infiltrated the interrogators? Could someone higher up in the interrogator's chain of command attempt to sway the party into doing his bidding or inadvertantly revealing secrets by interrupting the interrogation and pretending to be on their side / covertly spy on them after they leave?
>>
Will the game break if I let adv/disadv stack?
>>
>>50227427
I'd say that very much depends on them. If they are players who want to make that work, they will, regardless of their characters' circumstances.

But you could use the story-weaving method on suptg.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/17679146/
>>
>>50227454

They're all willing to work together so I'm glad for that. PC backstabbing is annoying to deal with.

I just want to to be believable
>>
Why does Crawford never give a straight fucking answer to any question on Sage Advice? It's always "the text would say if ____ happened".

Would it kill this fucker to say, "No, the text says ______."
>>
>>50227447
The character is a Warlock of a Great Old One who doesn't really care about subtlety. He got noticed by the local thieves' guild, along with his traveling companions, who seemed rich and suspicious enough to worth being kidnapped. The guild suspects they're adventurers trying to find some kind of treasure (which they are), but that wasn't enough incentive - a higher up is a Warlock as well, interested in extracting secrets from the PC.
They would resort to torture.
The kidnapping was witnessed by the other two PCs, although they don't know it was a kidnapping yet - I've dropped a few breadcrumbs in the form of rumors.
The leaders of the guild don't know about this yet, the other Warlock has some sway on a yet-to-be splinter faction, in the beginnings of forming a cult. He hopes to attain more power by interrogating the PC.

IRL, I am not good at getting information out of others with trickery. How should I go about this?
>>
>>50227451
Probably, yes.
>>
>>50227502
>a higher up is a Warlock as well
Time to do a power struggle between patrons.
>>
File: tumblr_nake1kj7Cd1s6jkuco4_500.jpg (92KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nake1kj7Cd1s6jkuco4_500.jpg
92KB, 500x616px
What are some of the best Battle Master Maneuvers? I am a Dex based fighter with Defensive duelist feat. I'm thinking Distracting strike for one not sure about the others.
>>
I've been considering creating a game setting where almost none of the main PHB races exist and it all takes place in a savage, giant-monster-filled land of orcs and goblins that looks like something out of Shadow of Mordor. Problem is I'm not sure how to work it so that the race choices are relatively balanced. Using only Volo goblinoid/orc races has troubles of a lot of those not covering a wide enough stat spread of bonuses for a full group.

Any ideas?
>>
are there any requirements to multiclassing into mystic? i've looked and i cant find any. i figure its 13 int but i wanna find "official" if i can
>>
>>50227300
To replicate that shadowrun more-skill=less-swingy feel, you could instead consider:

>5d3+(bonus)d3-(bonus), which is 0.5 lower on average than 1d20+bonus, or
>5d3+(bonus)d3-(bonus-1), which is 0.5 higher.
For this, you would want actual d3s, ideally
>https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-sets/156/Six-Sided-D3-Dice
then you could shake them up and roll buckets of dice like shadowrun (But in 5e!) to your heart's content.

http://anydice.com/program/9d8c

As for advantage, in this dice-pool scenario it might be easier to simply say advantage gets you an additional 3 of the {0,1,2} d3s rather than try to replicate its normal curve-shifting properties.
>>
>>50227427
All wind up in jail at the same time. All escape together.

alternately, all running away from a botched job. Let them fill in the details. Reward the first one to start blaming the others.
>>
>>50227521
Trip Attack (knockdown), Menacing Attack (frightened), Riposte (weapon attack when an enemy misses you), Pushing Attack (knock bitches off cliffs or into the air for falling damage), Parry (don't die), and Disarming Attack (kicking weapons away is a free action) are always good.

Commander's Strike if partied with a Rogue.
Precision Attack if you use GWM or Sharpshooter.
>>
>>50227576
I do have a Rouge and a Paladin. So I think Commander's strike is worth.

Is Trip Attack worst if I am more Dex based then Str?
>>
>>50227532
>Darkness Falls the MUD campaign
Just add other races or subraces that fit those statistical stereotypes.

If all the PCs are playing these races, it stands to reason that you're never going to encounter a monstrous version, so a PC werewolf or vampire doesn't necessarily have to be the ten kinds of bullshit that an NPC one would be. It's an entirely different setting, so you can do whatever the fuck you want with them.
>>
>>50227521
>>50227599

distracting strike is pretty useless, Trip Attack would give everyone in melee on the target advantage but fucks over your ranged friends

you use either Dex or Str for your DCs, so any maneuver will work with either
>>
Anyone have the Cthulhu mythos homebrew?
>>
>>50227576
>or into the air for falling damage

i don't think you can push them upward, this ain't no shoryuken shit
>>
>>50227571
>>50227300
https://www.thediceshoponline.com/dice-search/blank-Dice
You can get blank dice and put the numbers on them as stickers, to remove the subtraction steps.

d3s numbered 0-2 or d8s numbered 0-7 would be pretty easy to get.
>>
>>50227627
Good to know thanks anon.
>>
>>50227623
A fair point. I'd already considered re-skinning existing main races to be goblin/orc clans or something, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
>>
>>50227698
>>50227571
For less need for special dice or math, you could try (4+(bonus/2.5))d4+remainder.
http://anydice.com/program/9d8e
>>
>>50227502
Here's some easy options.

The guild begins to interrogate or even torture the character.
The other PCs may or may not arrive in time to witness this.
These PCs might be caught and captured, might be caught and fight to escape, or might witness the interrogation unnoticed and effect a stealth rescue.

Regardless of how many people are interrogated or whether a fight starts:

>A) A leader of the Guild interrupts the proceedings and apologizes profusely for the inconvenience and releases the characters. It was a case of mistaken identity. However, he sticks a tail on the group to follow them as they search for the treasure. The Guild fucks with the party once they're closer to the treasure, or races ahead of them if they can catch the party mentioning where it is out loud.

>B) The aforementioned leader sees that this is going nowhere and congratulates the PCs on their resourcefulness. He can use agents like them. He has a job in mind. Give the group a simple sidequest (like stealing something, illegally). The Guild has arranged a robbery or something, but are also wary that the PCs might inform the law, so they are careful to avoid being entangled themselves. If the PCs succeed and returns, the Guild puts them on a membership track and reveals that they know about the treasure; they're willing to use their resources to help the party find it. If the party divulges any information, the Guild uses it to track the treasure down on their own, and any aid they offer the PCs is a bunch of bullshit. If the party succeeds but does NOT return to the Thieves Guild with the stolen item, the Guild hunts them down and gets murder-happy.
>>
>>50227784
>>50227502
>C) The interrogation is instead broken up by law enforcement and the PCs are released. However, these agents of the law are other operatives of the Thieves Guild in disguise, and do their best to prevent serious injury or death to the thieves. They question the PCs about what the Guild wanted. At your discretion, they may let slip that they believe the Guild is searching for a certain treasure, but they have no specifics--leave it to the PCs to mention that they are also looking for it themselves. The "law enforcement" may offer to help them find it. Whether or not the PCs reveal anything to the fake cops or accept any aid, the Guild puts a stealth tail on the group as in A.

>D) If a rescue is staged and the party is detected, the Guild allows the rescue to occur with only token resistance. They attempt to inform the interrogators and stage events so that the Warlock can be rescued without serious injury (the guards / interrogator are called away to deal with something else, leaving the room or keys vulnerable to the hidden party, for instance). They then tail the party as in A.
>>
>>50227784
>>50227800

Oh man, thanks. This is very helpful.
>>
A Lizardman bard; Frog Bog Jovi.
>>
File: 1472284543244.jpg (53KB, 945x945px) Image search: [Google]
1472284543244.jpg
53KB, 945x945px
A friend of mine is going to be playing D&D for the first time with me and a couple others, and will probably be playing as a barbarian. I want to make it as enjoyable experience as possible.
My first thought is to roll a character that will help buff/combo well with him in some way. My first thought was to play as cleric or bard, the usual support-types, but I was wondering if there was something more specific.

I know one of the 2 other players will be playing a firbolg druid, but will probably not be using wildshape aggressively.
The other player is kind of a power gamer (although I suppose what I'm doing is also sort of power gamey.) How much fun he is having usually has a direct relationship with how much damage he is doing, so I can expect his PC to reflect this.

My barbarian friend isn't as munchkin-minded, so even some fun RP ideas would be welcome. If it helps, he wants to play as an orc or half-orc.
>>
Hi 5eg, I'm making a character. It's a mountain dwarf fiend patron blade pact warlock who won his abilities in a drinking contest and adventures to get money for his own brewery.

And that's all I have in terms of backstory. Seems too bland for my taste. I want to spice it up a bit but keep drawing blanks. Any advice?
>>
>>50227912
uh what? did he have a drinking contest with his patron? I don't understand

anyway like others will say bladelock really sucks ass
>>
File: a292c5098695cc5d029f7cca5430201f.jpg (360KB, 883x1350px) Image search: [Google]
a292c5098695cc5d029f7cca5430201f.jpg
360KB, 883x1350px
>>50227652
Anyone?
>>
So I've designed a homebrew race, and I got the features and everything balanced. Now how can I format this so that it looks like a page from an actual rulebook?
>>
>>50227402
i'm playing in a game with heavy inspiration from deadly premonition and i'm loving it
i'm playing the straight man who's also a fighter, breaking legs of assholes and calling out other assholes who aren't stupid enough engage me and my buddies in combat
>i'm not brave enough ooc to call out that my buddy thinks of bhaal when he goes into battle as well as when he thinks of other gods in non-combat situations, i've just been giving indications that he doesn't think of himself all high and mighty
>if my dm browses here he'll know who i am but fuck it
>>
>>50227389
Yes and no. The core monk abilities Unarmored Defense, Unarmored Movement, and everything listed in Martial Arts require you to be unarmored. Everything beyond that isn't hindered by armor.

So you the only thing you really lose out on is some extra movement speed. Martial Arts is mostly moot, because you can't get sneak attack on unarmed strikes anyway.
>>
Does this sound balanced as a magic item?

Orb of Concentration (Name Pending)

Basically it's a crystal ball or some other magic doodad, where on your turn you can use your action to cast a spell that requires concentration into the orb, using it as a vessel (I haven't decided if it should take an action to cast the spell like normal, then another action to activate it through the orb). When you cast the spell, you take damage equal to your level+twice the spell's level, and can't regain these hit points until the spell's duration ends or concentration is dropped. This allows you to channel the spell through the orb, meaning you can have 2 concentration spells running at once. The orb can be attacked and has hp equal to the damage you took, and like normal, if its hit you have to make a concentration save.

I think it'd be fun for a buff-focused caster, but I dunno about how the exact specifics should work
>>
>>50228027
It doesn't seem like the 9th level feature of Unarmored Movement (run along vertical surfaces and liquids) is disabled when wearing armor. So you're just as slow as a non-Monk, but you can runa cross water or up a fucking wall in full plate. So that's neat, potentially.
>>
>>50228030
The damage thing seems kinda tacked on and too much. I'd suggest that you take a level of exhaustion.

And it has to be at least rare, magic is kinda balanced around having only one concentration.
>>
>>50228075
>>50228030
Yeah, HP damage instead of exhaustion would be exploited by Warlocks with their temporary HP spells.
>>
File: oh fuck not again.gif (2MB, 380x340px) Image search: [Google]
oh fuck not again.gif
2MB, 380x340px
>dm looking for players
>contact him, ask if UA is okay for characters
>he says it is
>ask if I would be able to play revenant, as I like the concept
>express it's okay if he bans it, since they can't die
>he says it's fine
>but I can die
I'm torn between sticking with it for RP potential, but losing any racial benefits whatsoever
>>
>>50228030
Overall I advise not breaking the concentration mechanics in 5e, but at long as the party's enemies are smart enough to know about spellcasters and their general mechanics it's fine. Though never give it to a sorcerer, since it could lead to triple concentration and that's definitely not intended by the system
>>
>>50227912
Bladelock isn't the best choice, so I would suggest altering your backstory to take advantage of the flavor instead.

Rather than a drinking contest, perhaps he wanted to improve his smithing skills, getting a demonwrought hammer in the process of the deal. Add in some stuff about why it was so important to him, like needing money for a dying relative, or restoring the honor of his clan, and you might have something with more depth.
>>
>>50228100
How would a triple concentration situation come up? I'm sure its possible but I don't know how

>>50228075
>>50228091
So the level of exhaustion would be taken as soon as they cast through it? Or after?

Also do you think it should take two actions, one to cast the spell into the orb and one to unleash it, or just one action?
>>
>>50228027
Wait, what? You can't sneak attack with your fists?
>Finesse or ranged weapon
Damn. Why don't they want us sneak attacking with our fists? Although I think unarmored defense would be better anyway since magic armor takes up an attunement slot you could spend on better things, especially since thief gets UMD, plus if you have 16 wis (easily obtainable in 27 point buy) you're better than studded leather.
>>
>>50227427
Your beloved home planet that you all live on is attacked.
>>
>>50228063
>be level 9 Monk in heavy armor
>bonus action ki Dash
>run 45 feet straight up a wall
>grapple enemy at the top of the wall
>backflip 5 feet backwards with him
>use Extra Attack to perform a 5 foot shove on him, straight up
>Slow Fall 45 feet and take no damage
>move 5 feet to the side
>enemy comes crashing down 50 feet and takes 5d6, landing prone
>look like a total badass even though you shoulda just stabbed the guy twice
>>
>>50227427
After 10,000 years, a great evil imprisoned on the Moon has been released and sets its sights on conquering your planet.

The mystical guardian responsible for sealing that evil away, weakened even after centuries of slumber, has only the power to summon you, adventurers with attitude, to combat the evil.
>>
Anybody got a map of a small fishing village that's on a huge, 6-mile-across lake?
>>
>>50228160
They don't want you SAing with fists because it's a free magic weapon and a Monk potentially has more unarmed attacks than a Rogue, even a dual-wielding one. (Rogue: one attack, bonus action if dual-wielding; Monk: two attacks, bonus action unarmed, OR two attacks, bonus action Flurry for two unarmed). That's four attempts at landing a Sneak Attack in a round compared to the Rogue's two.
>>
>>50228133
I don't really care if a bladelock is an optimal choice, and that isn't directly related to the question. It's a lighthearted not-too-serious game, and saving dying relatives or restoring clan-honor doesn't quite fit. And I personally think it's overused.

Besides, the DM said that patrons can't take their warlocks' abilities back because they are granted for a service or earned in some other way. So I decided that my warlock had a drinking contest with a lesser devil who was an salesman for not!Satan with his soul as a bet, and won, or so he thinks because he can't remember shit.
>>
>>50228241
all my fishing villages are unfortunately on lakes two miles across or less
>>
>>50227912
It sounds okay to me, having a Devil Went Down to Georgia scenario seems as good as any to me as far as warlock origins go. As long as it's fiend or fey pact, I wouldn't buy it with a GOO.

The general problem with "adventures for money to start a business" is that in many games you will quickly have more than enough cash to start up an ordinary business, and at that point your motivation to adventure will expire.

The way I would address this is that you aren't after an "ordinary" business. You don't just need money. You need the rarest of ingredients to put in your brew, that can only be found in the furthest corners of the world, surrounded by hazards, or perhaps the object of your fermentation is the hazard itself. You're not content with your ale being some good shit. It has to be THE shit.

If you look at every batch you make as a challenge to make the next batch even wilder, you have a concept that can keep your character adventuring for life.
>>
>>50228249
Also. I've never thought of fists as "finesse, precise weapons". Can't very well sneak a fist beneath tight, heavy armor (one of the older descriptions of sneak attack).
>>
>Play for the first time

>Our fighter gets knocked unconscious three times
>Meanwhile my sorcerer that fights at probably-too-close ranges was only injured twice the entire session despite numerous combat instances and one of them was just being pushed off a surface by a goblin
She also caused him to fail a death save the first time because of a Thunderclap to kill the wolf that took him down the first time
Should I expect more silly crap like this?
>>
>>50228295
That'll be fine, too! I just don't want, "Oh, this lake is 300 feet across" like in most village maps.
>>
>>50228309
i was just messing with you friendo
>>
>>50227968
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
>>
>>50228249
You can still use Monk's Extra Attack and follow it up with a CBE or TWF for 3 attacks. It's really only the difference between 3 and 4 chances at sneak attack damage.
>>50228298
Well, monks get to use dex instead of strength for all simple weapons, you would think that counts as finesse, but technically it doesn't.
>>
>>50228292
>>50228296
I'd expand this with a thing.
Maybe your dwarf doesn't just want a brewery, he wants to have the Best Damn Breweryâ„¢ in the world.
>>
>>50228296
>>50228352
Huh. Nice idea. I guess I'll have to try brewing moonshine out of shamblers and other monsters.
>>
>>50227780
>>50227571
>>50227698
I was playing around with it in anydice.
http://anydice.com/program/9d90

The one that looks the best and easiest to me is
>((10+bonus)/2)d3+R
>R will always be 1 or 0.
>"Add 10 and divide by 2" is easy math for you to record on your sheet.
>Manageable number of dice, comparable to shadowrun.
>Simple addition on a roll
>It is however (like many of these) going to yield averages in whole numbers rather than the extra .5 that a single even numbered die yields.

Haven't compared it to the DCs yet though. I can see however that since every +d3 increases your minimum roll by 1, that anything with a DC of 5 is an autosuccess so long as you're not rolling with a penalty.
>>
>>50228030
I've been contemplating something similar...

Or ditching the 5e concentration mechanic and homebrewing something new based on how it works in Shadowrun 5e, where you can suspend several spells, but every suspended spell gives you penalties, and there are items you can use to negate those penalties for hanging spells, but there are downsides to doing so as well.
>>
>>50228094
>Can I play thing
>Okay, but you don't get the mechanics of thing, and don't get anything to replace them either.
wtf am I reading.
He may as well have just said no.
>>
Oh, is it bad if your DM starts you off with a preset campaign on Roll20? I'm enjoying myself, but I'm still curious.
>>
A Lizardman Paladin who doesn't understand why the damsels he saves run away in fear after he tears the orcs into ribbons with his hideous maw.
>>
>>50228526
What do you mean? Like, he's running an adventure out of a book?

Because that's pretty common. They're great for when you don't have as much time to prep as it takes to plan a campaign from scratch. Hell, I collect those adventures myself. I get the hardcover Curse of the Crimson throne in the mail tomorrow, and I should have Out of the Abyss on Friday.
>>
>>50228528
A Lizardman afflicted with lycanthropy. Except instead of turning into a giant bipedal wolf-man, he becomes a murderous utahraptor.
>>
5e needs sci-fi/other genre components.
>>
>>50228637
>>/pfg/
>>
>>50228637
Uh, just play it like 60s-80s fantasy.
>oh by the way there's a spaceship here in ye olde phantasy lande
>>
>>50228550
It's that Lost Mines of Phandelver thing, I'm just curious about peoples' opinions, because I found our first session both satisfying and just plain amusing.

Mostly because, like in the post above, our fighter kept jobbing
>>
>>50228671
>Implying the twist ending to all my campaigns isn't the BBEG pulling out a gun and shooting the hero dead
>>
>>50228683
I havent read that one personally, but I hear it's good.
I also heard it's supposedly on the easy side, so that makes your story extra funny.
>>
>>50228702
I didn't know Ralph Bakshi was on /tg/.
>>
File: yuan-ti02.jpg (162KB, 607x999px) Image search: [Google]
yuan-ti02.jpg
162KB, 607x999px
I'm putting together a shopping list of 3/3.5e books that had great lore and/or good advice on running a game, to use in planning/running a 5e campaign. Mostly looking at planar stuff, but some other things might be good too. Here's what I've come up with so far:
>Top Tier (have read, really like)
Manual of the Planes
Fiendish Codex I & II
Tome of Magic (mostly for the binders vestiges)
>Maybe Tier (useful for specific things)
Lords of Madness
Draconomicon
>??? Tier
Deities & Demigods (either unfamiliar or seems mostly rules-driven)
Libris Mortis
Book of Vile Darkness/Exalted Deeds
Heroes of Battle/Horror
Cityscape/Dungeonscape

What 3/3.5e books are really good either from a lore perspective or in giving advice on running a campaign regardless of edition?
>>
>>50228637
There are third-party solutions adapting 5e to those like Amethyst and Ultramodern5.
>>
>>50228655
>>50228671
It's not like sci fi hasn't been a part of D&D since its inception.
>>
File: yuan-ti01.jpg (213KB, 1000x1310px) Image search: [Google]
yuan-ti01.jpg
213KB, 1000x1310px
>>50228733
Oh, and I forgot to ask, does anyone has links to PDFs of any of the above?
>>
>>50228748
https://mega.nz/#F!UsRUlLAR!-5YN6nV_QeOO97Gu6CE-sg
>>
>>50228741
Cool, where might one find them?
>>
>>50228704
I could go in to further detail, if you guys would like, but I can't guarantee how good I'd be at wording everything.
>>
File: death knight01.jpg (314KB, 1000x1415px) Image search: [Google]
death knight01.jpg
314KB, 1000x1415px
>>50228760
Much appreciated, kind anon.
>>
>>50227052
I've been brainstorming.
Specifically, about classes/archetypes that involve crafting things during their rests. One is a trapper, because the trap crafting is relatively simple enough that I could break the progression down to fit into the levels that rogues get archetype features satisfactorily, as well as synergizing pretty well with the core class features. The other two, an alchemist and a spellcrafter, function similarly but don't fit so easily into existing classes- obvious picks would require a whole lot of "instead of this, do this" in regards to class features and I don't like that.

As for the stuff relevant to your question, I'll use the trapper archetype as its the most complete. Third level they get trap building rules-
Small, medium, and large traps, that can effect creatures up to one size larger than the trap. 5, 10, and 25gp costs to craft, 1, 2, and 3 hour crafting times. Small traps can have one extra effect applied, medium traps 2, large traps three. The effects list I put together from the conditions list, with a few extraneous effects (moving creatures, dousing them with a substance, etc)
When crafting, roll d20+int mod+prof. This determines the number of damage die the trap does- 1-10 is one die, and it goes up in increments of five for additional dice. 15 is two dice, etc. Small are d4, medium d6, large d10. One of the effects you can apply to traps at higher levels (6 I think) are different damage types. The rest of the progression is things like decreased costs and crafting time.

The tinker the player wants is probably not the same as the trapper, but the approach to rules could be similar to the trap-building. Base categories, and resources to make them do different things or do things better.
>>
File: thebeagle.png (560KB, 1026x614px) Image search: [Google]
thebeagle.png
560KB, 1026x614px
>>50228742
>we'll never get an Expedition to the Barrier Peaks or Immortals' Fury / Blackmoor update for 5E
What's the point in living
>>
>>50228774
Both of those are in the Mega trove under Third Party.
>>
>>50228808
>Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
There was a conversion in the playtest, its in the trove btw
>>
Has anyone got that link to the Gameshole Con podcast? It was actually a much better listen than I expected. The designers actually seem reasonable.
>>
>>50228834
Well shit.

I still want Wrath of the Immortals or Hollow World shit. You know what, fuck the 5E-ization of Eberron and even Dark Sun. Give me 5E'd Mystara. That's something we haven't touched in a loooong time.
>>
>>50228817
>>50228834
Thanks heaps brahs.

>>50228808
Hopefully we'll be seeing some of that in the future. They've said they wanted to contemporarize a lot of the original adventures.
>>
Does anyone feel like they have to make up more and more of the campaign on the spot as the story advances?

The players are nearing the end, and I'm just frantically laying down tracks in front of the moving train trying to keep this from derailing. , But every session the unpredictability of my players increases.
>>
>>50228775
Always do storytime
>>
We also need more higher CR entities.
>>
>>50228733
I'd like to add the Elder Evils book for campaign ideas. Love that book.
>>
>>50228579
>a 15-20 foot dinosaur
>equivalent to wolfman
Yeah fuck no.

As much as I fucking love dinosaurs, I feel like wizards fucked us over with what they gave us. They left out some more iconic ones, in exchange for shit that isn't even a dinosaur (plesiosaurus, quetzalcoatus, pteranodon), and then they fucking include Dimetrodon, which is around 20-40 million years before there were any fucking dinosaurs in the first place. Its from the wrong fucking time period. We get shit that doesn't need to be included, like Stegosaurus, which is close enough to Ankylosaurus stat-wise you just change tail damage type, or a fucking Hadrosaurus, a very boring dinosaur. Why not an iguanodon, or a pachycephalosaurus.

Pachycephalosaurus are the literal shit, top tier dinosaur.
I would ride one.
>>
>>50229012
I brewed up dinosaurs of my own when I ran Isle of Dread back when 5e was new. They were terrifying. My players actively ran away whenever they encountered some.
>>
>>50227968
seems to be on the weaker side of things, imho.
mind thrust is nice but given the stat distribution it gives, you'll probably end up having better cantrips to use. i'd maybe give them psychic resistance and some feat to gain improved psionics.
>>
>>50229037
In the Monster Manual they have Magic Resistance. I was hesitant to include that, but the Yuan-Ti get it. Maybe something closer to what gnomes have?
>>
>>50229076
magic resistance on top of the rest of the features then looks like too much.

i guess monster classes like illithids are not made to be used as PCs, either they don't represent their monster counterpart at all, or the end up being too weak or pigeonholed into a role.
>>
>>50229033
Post them plox.
>>
Does 5e have any more modern brew? Apart from that one UA and webpage devoted to it.
>>
>>50229076
I agree that Magic Resistance would be far too much, even the gnome version.

Psychic resistance would be a nice touch. It's a rare damage type anyway, and it is rather fitting for a psionic race.
>>
>>50228958
>Sorcerer, first time playing tabletops
>Human, other players are a Tiefling Fighter and two Tabaxi, a Rogue and Bard
>After clearing out the goblin ambush by me MAGIC MISSILE-ing the last goblin, who had shot at me, the Fighter asks to try and harvest food or the like from the bodies of one of the horses.
>GM: "Alright, roll Survival." "...You get the horse's hoof. Just the hoof."
>Fighter: "I keep the hoof with me."
>During the going along the goblin trail, due to dogshit Perception rolls my character only manages avoiding stepping in the snare and pit because they're last in line
>Our Rogue manages to pick up on and outright assassinate one of the two archers on the other side of the brook, Bard following them misses their own ranged attack
>Fighter and I were going around the front, when he gets so close ahead. I haven't seen a one of the two.
>Fighter: "I throw the hoof at the goblin."
>GM: "Alright, roll (yadda-yadda)...aaaand it misses completely and flies in to the forest. You're not getting that hoof back."
>"Did I see him throw that?"
>GM: "Yes, yes you did. [Bard] and [Rogue] also saw what appeared to be a hoof flying past in to the trees."
>"I shake my head at [Fighter] and give him a look like he's an idiot.
>>
>>50229152
That's a good point. I think adding it in will make it balanced enough.
>>
How integral do you think fireball is, for a wild magic sorc?
I've just got 3rd level spells, and I'm torn what to pick up. For what it's worth, the rest of the party is a druid as our healer, mundane ranger, barbarian and warrior.

I want blink as it's both thematic and a much needed defensive option.
Counter spell and dispel magic are both great.
Haste and slow are both brilliant.

I'm switching out sleep, so I can pick up two of the options, but I'm entirely torn which to get.
>>
File: Untitled.png (544KB, 1342x2709px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
544KB, 1342x2709px
Because I promised to make sure people heard about this story, I'm posting it here in addition to its own thread. /5eg/ gets more traffic, after all.

Also it's a new story, so that's fun.

Relevant previous thread:

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49825846/
>>
>>50229338
Always get haste and twinned spell, twin it on your barb and fighter and watch them become monsters
>>
File: 1471457351439.jpg (80KB, 766x960px) Image search: [Google]
1471457351439.jpg
80KB, 766x960px
>>50227075
My group fell apart months ago, just as we were starting another campaign too.

I fucking miss playing so much.
>>
>>50229286
Oh, yeah, at one point during the first fight, a goblin forgot it had a bow instead of a shield and got shot to death, with it's last word being "Shield...."
>After fighting those two
>"Why did you throw the hoof?"
>Fighter: "Because there weren't any rocks nearby."
>GM: "As you say that, you realize that there are rocks...ALL around you, of suitable throwing size. Like right at your feet."
>Fighter: "...I pick up the rock."
>GM: "Oookay, you have the rock now."
>We move on up in to the cave and come across the kennel
>Sorcerer begrudgingly agrees to putting them down, but isn't happy about it.
>Rest of group flounders attack rolls, my get my turn after the rolls because of super-low Initiative rolls
>The center wolf breaks free and attacks the Fighter, who then on his turn bashes it's head in. With the rock from before.
>I Firebolt the topmost wolf, which causes it to spazz out. After we take down the third wolf, it breaks free, charging at the Fighter and instantly incapacitates him, before looking at the person who set it on fire (me)
>My character panics and uses Thunderclap, killing the wolf and causing it to collapse on the Fighter that just took a death save fail from me
>Bard manages to patch him up
>>
>>50227402
Working on my 80s High Fantasy setting.

Watching Conan for inspiration. Finished Watching Krull and Flash Gordon the other night. Things seem to be shaping up nicely.

Talked to my current D&D Party and they seem to be down to play a second campaign on the side. I think my DM needs a break from DMing anyways.
>>
>>50229431
>Second Wind then heals the Fighter for like 2 HP.
>Upon going deeper in to the cave, I realize I can't see shit and cast Light, which apparently spooks one of the goblins.
>Combat starts soon after, and I instakill a gobbo with Firebolt before they can unblock the water.
>Rogue gets swept away, Fighter was out of the way, Bard moved, and I managed to stay put.
>Proceed to stab a fucker while being soaked, sustaining a 'little' cut of 5HP, Bard heals me.
>Later, we get in to (another) fight, with the Bard and Rogue constantly just being all the way in the back while I just ready to blast whatever comes up.
>Exchange fire with one goblin, whose bow breaks when he tries to shoot me and we taunt each other
>A second one comes up next to him, shoots, and misses. I stick my tongue out at it and get the goblin middle finger.
>Fighter runs up and slaughters Goblin #2, before Klarg's wolf runs up and attacks him
>Goblin 1 slips past Fighter and takes a swing at me
>Fails so horribly he trips past me in to the water.
>I Firebolt his ass but he lives, and proceeds to block the Rogue and Bard's shots with his crossbow with a "hehe, shield".
>Fighter get INSTANTLY downed by the wolf.
>I knock Gobbo out by smacking him in the face with my dagger, shield keeps in afloat, and the Rogue and Bard shoot the wolf, which draws Klarg out
>He pushes the Fighter out of the way and throws a javelin at me, which misses so badly it kills the goblin.
>"HE WAS A BAD FIGHTER ANYWAYS."
>Me: "Better than you!"
>"YOU INSULT GOD-KING KLARG?"
>Witch Bolt
>Proceed to dodge two of his melee attacks as we rain death on him.
>Bard once again drags Fighter to his feet, and the Rogue uses the healing potions on himself and Fighter

>By now I think the Fighter is an idiot, and briefly pay respects to the goblin that managed to impress me.
I hope this isn't too boring to read.
>>
>>50229686
>We go up across the bridge towards that last area and are told we find our way in to a group of unarmed goblins, save for the leader who's beating the shit out of a prisoner.
>I'm one of the first ones to go, and as such shoot off a Firebolt at one of the goblins reaching for a weapon, since I was told they also look scared.
>And then the Fighter runs in and stabs a goblin before being unsurprisingly overwhelmed by a fuckload of goblins
>Goblin I kept from arming bumrushes me and pushes my character off the cliff behind them for 5 damage because I rolled pitifully low.
>And then the prisoner stands up, socks the goblin leader in the face, and uses a Second Wind to regain a fair amount of health which keeps him occupied.

Long story short, my character thinks that the Fighter is hilariously incompetent, considering he's had his ass handed to him by a singular wolf twice.
>>
>>50229511
>80s High Fantasy
so Tolkien-esque with small bits of Sci-Fi thrown in?
>>
>>50229841
>>50229686
>>50229431
man sometimes i forget that "Here there be Gerblins" was an out of book adventure for the most part.
and way that sounds like a lot of fun Anon
wish that i had a group to play with, i DMed one session before the group fell apart, though i think that two of my players weren't really into it anyway
>>
>>50229901
I'm personally fine with starting simple.

My character never even apologized for Thunderclapping in everyone's ear which I flavored as my character shrieking in terror so loudly from the proximity of the wolf that it caused physical pain
Hopefully he'll stop jobbing now that we're also getting a Monk.

Is True Neutral the asshole alignment?
>>
Radiant damage is actually caused by intense UV radiation, and paladins are walking nuclear reactors.
Praise the sun.
>>
RUNEWEAVER v2.1 - Aka "I sure hope the math on this isn't as retarded as I think it is!" the class

>Make broken ass spells!
>Imagine the possibilities!
>Tell me why they're all shit!
>Help fix my weird-ass homebrew that'll never be played by anyone, ever!
>>
>>50229971
It's actually caused by the nuclear engine of a fallen spaceship merging with a security disc. It permanently consumes magical energy to produce its own particular kind, which also happens reanimates the dead.
>>
>>50230023
>ten pages
how about no
>>
>>50229012
No, the top tier dinos are Ankylosaurs (we had those already) and T-Rexes (who are not nearly as powerful in D&D as in real life, WotC please buff).
>>
File: I guess.jpg (19KB, 232x254px) Image search: [Google]
I guess.jpg
19KB, 232x254px
I love running games for my nephews/niece.

>get trapped in a room
>gas is being pumped in through some pipes
>an int check identifies it as knockout gas
>"I transform into an octopus"
wat
>It says in the rules that the octopus can hold its breath for up to half an hour on land
>mfw

Can't say I was expecting that response. Not the craziest thing that ever happened but I feel like it's one of those special moments that you remember about the campaign.
>>
What are the strongest martial and magical classes legal in an AL game?
>>
>>50230230
Your niece and nephews sound like awesome players.
>>
>>50230230
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>50229861
I dunno if I would say "small bits of Sci-fi" thrown in. I tried to stay away from Tolkien-esque stuff. I'm not making my own races or anything. Just trying to fit every race in 5e into the worlds.

Places like the Underdark and the Feywild are planets you can see in the sky, there are other worlds as well. 7 in total.

The Underdark is a world of ash and darkness, ruled by giant mechanical overlords who stalk the surface. Below the surface a world of tunnels where Drow, Duergar, and Deep Gnomes only seek to avoid the cold metallic hands of this worlds rulers. Occasionally drills piece these subterraniean dwellings and metal tendrils steal away anyone unlucky enough to be nearby.

The Fey was a world of Ivory Towers and wonderous techno-magic. But the Eladrin pushed their world too far. If they had continued, their world would have progressed much like the Underdark. But instead the Eladrin gave their world back to nature. Now their world is green and verdant, and they live wild.

There are other worlds like a World of Fire where Dragons and Demons wage a constant war.

Dragonborn are created by the blessing or slaying of a dragon. Kobolds are created by a dragon enslaving someone.

Yuan-ti are Snake Vampires that originate from basically Snake-Dracula who hails from a Primordeal Dinosaur World, where Tabaxi are Sabertooth Tiger Highlander style Vampire Hunters.

There's a bunch of other stuff, i'm just being as over the top as I can be and seeing what feels good.

Some main goals are to create tension between anything that could be seen as a faction.
The Central Tension of my campaign is Old vs New. So alot of the worlds have some kind of Old world traditionalistic culture conflicting with some kind of New World Order philosophy stuff.
>>
>>50230232
are you talking strongest as in highest DPR? over how many rounds are we talking?
>>
File: Bugbear_-_Wayne_Reynolds.jpg (132KB, 400x542px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbear_-_Wayne_Reynolds.jpg
132KB, 400x542px
alrighty boys

how do i take maximum advantage of the bugbear's Long-limbed trait

i wanna have some long reach shenanigans
>>
>>50230541
Leap attack with a whip or polearm, 20ft hits.
>>
>>50230561
my man, with the quick reply

yeah i'm digging the polearm idea
>>
>>50230541
Maybe something with Rogue where you poke from a distance behind cover and use the extra distance as justifaction for not having to re-roll stealth.

Sneaky Poking.
>>
File: 595_large.jpg (142KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
595_large.jpg
142KB, 636x900px
I'm playing a undying warlock that essentially is slowly becoming a vampire lord. I was planning on taking the Sculptor of Flesh and Minion of Chaos invocation solely so I could take the form of a giant bat or dire wolf and summon a gargoyle servant once per day. I understand that neither of these are optimal uses of either invocation, but it fits my characters theme so well. Have you ever sacrificed mechanical power for flavor?
>>
I want to make a "Samurai" character. How do I build him?
>>
>>50230663
battle master fighter in medium armor, refluff long sword as katana, done
>>
>>50230636

>Have you ever sacrificed mechanical power for flavor?

Everyone who's every played bladelock :^)
>>
>>50230666
I won't fall to your lies, Satan!
>>
File: 1476647188684.gif (986KB, 500x243px) Image search: [Google]
1476647188684.gif
986KB, 500x243px
>>50230669
>>50230686
Oath of the Crown Paladin.
>>
>>50230636
Yes, I'm intentionally not wearing armor, even though I lose a lot of armor class because of it. Simply because wearing armor all the time just doesn't fit my cleric at all.
>>
>>50230686
You actually want a barbarian. Fluff your rage as an inner focus or some weeaboo BS I dunno you're the one who wants a samurai you should know. Get a lance/glaive and bow and fight from horseback, never actually using your katana unless it's to slay peasants. If you ever dishonor the group you must kill yourself then and there, then roll up a shadowmonk 6/ thiefrogue 14 and be a ninja.
>>
>>50229841

This was a good story anon. Thanks for sharing!

>>50229950
I like that flavor for thunderclap. I may have to steal that for use in my game at some point.
>>
File: 1474049944517.jpg (39KB, 400x730px) Image search: [Google]
1474049944517.jpg
39KB, 400x730px
i've never played a caster before, i'm too dumb. the only time i've dabbled into casting was playing an eldritch knight (which was fucking awesome) but it was just enough spells that i could manage.

i've been thinking of stepping outside my comfort zone. since spoony's new video on psionics, is there a class that let's me cast only or a lot of psionic/psychic spells? what should i do?
>>
>>50230230
Thats clever of them. They did good.
>>
>>50230699

Is Crown that bad? I was having trouble choosing an oath and was really considering it, along with Devotion/Vengeance.
I mean I'd consider Ancients probably my favorite for that spell resist, but that didn't really fit the character I was making.
>>
>>50230726
I'm glad somebody liked it.

My character has an extreme dislike of being touched, so even sheer proximity can bother them to the point of violent outbursts.
My Sorcerer also kept a fair bit of distance between them and the Fighter after the whole "braining" thing.
>>
>>50230738
They're not terrible, but it mostly comes down to the fact that their level 7 oath feature is more of a ribbon compared to other oaths. The ability to take damage for someone else next to you, with no tools to reduce that damage, compared to say, resistance to all spell damage.
>>
Spoilers for CoS ahoy, but:

Can someone explain to me how Donavich went bonkers over the span of a literal year and nobody gave enough of a shit to help him for the entire time despite him apparently being the only fucking priest in the entire city?
>>
>>50229338
blink is garbage

get fireball and haste
>>
>>50230023
have you uh, read any of 5e's actual classes?

because, and correct me if I'm wrong here, but none have a small novel dedicated to them
>>
>>50230023
You should, uh, probably write your own system instead of piggybacking 5e.
>>
>>50227052
There's a UA Atificer
>>
/tg/, how do I help encourage my players not to be super slow cautious babbys without a) constantly making it so nothing is dangerous and teach them they don't have to worry about anything, thus ruining the game, or b) adding an NPC guide that forces them to move along?
>>
>>50229950
it can be! most alignments can be depending on how you play the character, though im more fond of having a character "fall into" an alignment rather than being like a definitive personality trait.
but yeah TN can be "i ain't give a fuck", though i think chaotic neutral is more assholeish as its kind of the "WILD CARD BITCHES" ala IASIP
>>
File: Y Thou.png (28KB, 367x283px) Image search: [Google]
Y Thou.png
28KB, 367x283px
>>50230023
>Mindshatter - "Kek"
>1 Thread Point
>Standard Damage Glyph
>The Rune you cast deals 1d6 psychic or thunder damage (chosen before casting) to the targets of the Rune.
>This Glyph can be applied multiple times - each time costs an additional Thread Point and adds an additional 1d6 points of damage.
>>
>>50230408
that sounds VERY Flash Gordon-y or like something from Masters of the Universe
id want to play in that setting
>>
>>50230928
set time limits, like if you don't get to this town in a certain amount of time hostages will die. use this for only a while, as it's a crutch for story telling
>>
>guy in group plays a manimal
>keeps getting annoyed when normal humans and halflings don't immediately want to jump in the sack with him
>keeps rolling Charisma and acting like Borat, expecting this to change people's minds

Not sure what he was epecting
>>
>>50230230
Good shit. You should be proud of them.

>>50230854
Barovia is a clusterfuck of depression and no joy, someone needs to sun-nuke the shit out of that place.
>>
>>50230854
Barovia needs an Exterminatus made of sunlight.
>>
>>50230408
>A bunch of cool planets.

Are there flying pirate ships and stargates? If so, I'm sold.

Also:

>Underdark planet is Gurenn Lagann
>Drill to Pierce the Heavens.
>Believe in the me that believes in you.
>Sick and tired of your goddamn shenanigans.
Fantastic.

Codify this shit, pretty it up, and sell it to me as a well written 1xx page book. Look into 1-2 page faction/country/city/god writeups, and put them in a section much like you'd find in a Pathfinder Bestiary ("Thing" always starts at the top of a page). I will pay the going rate for a hard copy and run this shit for my players.

That's like, ~$20/100 pages, btw.
>>
File: 1244003429991.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1244003429991.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>50230230
FUCKING BRILLIANT
>>
File: 1474786119103.jpg (71KB, 581x542px) Image search: [Google]
1474786119103.jpg
71KB, 581x542px
>>50230230
Delicious.
>>
So Wizard is pretty much the "best" Necromancer right? Cleric seems like an obvious second place, however I notice that Warlock can get Finger of Death on a short rest so maybe that could be nice for making permenant zombies.
>>
>>50230991
Well, the Necromancer tradition for the Wizard is, in fact, the best Necromancer. Hard to imagine, I know.
>>
>>50230955
>>50230961
I'm personally going to tell Strahd that he's a hateful idiot whose waifu will never love him because he dove off the deep end and took everyone with him. If he really wanted Ireena to love him, he could start by not being a maniacal undead tyrant who threw away his humanity years ago. Even if he does capture Ireena's soul, then what? Is everything just going to be dandy from then on?
As one of his vampire spawn slaves, any of the 'love' she gives him is completely false. Even if he somehow convinces her to love her in a genuine way, his land is ruined and it's not getting fixed anytime soon because he perpetually sinks it into further darkness.
He's so obsessed with something that can never happen that he's ruined everything else chasing it.
And the very worst part is that he should be smart enough to see how his plan doesn't hold water, but he's too stubborn to accept it.
Basically, the only thing he's accomplished by becoming a vampire is becoming a worse person and ruining everything he touches. He's completely successful at failing.
>>
>>50230991
i mean yea?

Death Cleric and Oathbreaker pally are also ok necromancers I guess, though less necroMANCER and more necroMARTIAL
>>
>>50230023
>>50230909
>Runeweaver
This is a wordcasting magic system, like PF's Words of Power or the GURPS Improvisational Magic system (GURPS has many magic systems and rules on how to build your own magic system to boot).

Sure, seems a reasonable alternative to Vancian casting. I know a few people who much prefer this magic system in Pathfinder.

Is it balanced? Frankly, I'm not familiar enough with 5e math to say. But I do know this kind of magic system has its fans.

I also know people who want other magic systems in 5e. Basic MP systems, and Psionic MP systems being the ones I hear requested most often. *I have not read the UA playtest class and have no idea how its magic system works, such a magic system is a low priority to me - but I do know other people who really enjoy them.

>>50230065
>>50230896
It's really only 2.75 pages. Everything after that is spells.

>>50230935
You uh... Might want to reign in that nova potential.

Rebalance that shit. Seriously.

Take your class and compare all of its abilities to the existing classes. Particularly other dedicated mage types like Wizard, Warlock, and Cleric.
>>
College of Glamour seems cool for an idol group party .
>>
>>50231014
Good luck with that, brah.

In 2e, iirc, Ravenloft was made into something resembling Silent Hill. The Dark Powers sought out depraved individuals and kept them hostage in their own domains, the Dark Lords. Their failings binding them as a curse to their lands.
Strahd would always seek Tatyana but never be with her because he literally can't, as the Dark Powers have cursed and punished him thus. He must always seek her or an incarnation of her but will always fail.

However, conversely his mastery over his domain is absolute. He is the land of Barovia and the peasants and other characters are mites upon his corpse.
>>
>>50231072
I know I have no chance of convincing him, and only a little more of temporarily stopping him. But it'll at least be cathartic to stick it to him.
>>
>>50231103
Yeah, it definitely would be. You are also heroes after all.
Good luck.

How is CoS btw?
>>
>>50231130
The male PCs have an 100% death rate so far.
>>
>>50231144
Kek. How is the adventure as a whole?
>>
>>50231193
Pretty good, but very heavy on impressing on the party that THINGS SUCK. Very easy to get killed in the first part.
I think our DM is taking a very, uh, interesting interpretation of the characters. Ismark is pretty chauvinistic and Ireena almost seems a little off of a parody of a strong female character.
>>
>>50227300
>5e is too swingy/random

what
>>
>>50227866

Have you read Beowulf?
>>
>>50227300
Part of the point of 5e was reducing the number of things you'd ever need to add/subtract on a given roll. Advantage and Disadvantage are a core simplification for situational modifiers.

It isn't worth all of the extra stuff for most people just to keep the probabilities the same but decrease the deviation. Reducing the deviation from the average makes your skill less reliable, but also makes each die roll less meaningful or dramatic.

People who crave a simulationist bent are better of with another system altogether.

Your idea works, though, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it meshes with the rest of the system.
>>
>>50231319
>Reducing the deviation from the average makes your skill less reliable
I should have said, "makes your skill seem more reliable"
>>
>>50231290
Static bonuses are generally low, and remain low for a lot of the game, meaning results are a lot more dependant on the roll of the dice than actual character skill. Advantage/Disadvantage goes someone to eliminate this, but again because it's based on dice rolls other static modifiers, it's swingy.
>>
>>50231335
This is a silly argument. What matters is the difference between the target number and your bonus, not the bonus size relative to your dice.

If the average DC is 10, and you got a bonus of +5, you have a 80% chance for success.

If the DC is 30, and you have a bonus of +20, you have a 50% of success.

The second one is more swingy, despite the bonus being 4 times bigger.
>>
>>50230729

There is currently no class that use psionics in D&D.
>>
>>50230928

Circumstences don't let them the time to *not* take some punches? Have them have to choose between two bad choices?

Cautious is good, but it's a luxury
>>
>>50230991

This isn't 3.X where the basic Cleric was better at Necromancy than the Necromancer Wizard.
>>
>>50231373
aw man

no psychic damage at all? i would have thought warlocks would have had something
>>
>>50231014

Errr... what are you trying to accomplish?

Being a failure and unable to get out of the self-inflicted Hell is how you end up a Ravenloft big wig.

Everyone knows Strahd is a pitiful evil waste of space.
>>
>>50231357
You should also tell him that the target DC in 5e is lower than the previous edition.
>>
>>50231395

There is some mind power/psychic damages spells

Probably should look at the Great Old One warlock for inspiration, at least
>>
>>50230991
Lore Bard with Animated Dead and Aura of Vitality (the only healing spell that can affect undead) and later on Finger of Death.
>>
>>50231416
>>50231357
Yeah, the DCs you're looking to hit in 5e are usually between 10 and 20 no matter what level you're at, with the super-difficult stuff rarely going past 25 (and only then when you're generally expected to fail, where success will be a rare perk).
>>
>>50230729
Can you use Unearthed Arcana stuff? There is Mystic class in the Unearthed Arcana.
>>
>>50231395
There are multiple psychic damage sources and psychic type spells

GOO warlock is probably closest to what you want. telepathy and shit.

Mystic, the psionics class, is getting a UA (non-official playtesting content straight from WotC), but honestly it'll probably be overpowered bullshit that is instantly banned from any decent table
>>
>>50231405
Flipping him the argumentative bird, as it were.
Nothing quite hits the spot like telling an evil blowhard where he can stick his sense of superiority, especially when he's too much of a self-absorbed jackass to come to the conclusion himself.
Part of me is just sort of disappointed that despite having all this power and supposedly being a genius, he never really accomplishes anything of note.
>>
>>50231421
That's a good one, I'm trying to get a list of all the "viable" necromancer type characters you could make.
>Make the Pied Piper but with zombies
>>
>>50231241
Nice.
Yeah, it's meant to be emphasised as a horror game, but I can't take it 100% seriously if it's edgy all the time. There has to be some levity.

Good character interpretations though.
>>
>>50231433
>Nothing quite hits the spot like telling an evil blowhard where he can stick his sense of superiority, especially when he's too much of a self-absorbed jackass to come to the conclusion himself.

Except he literally won't be able to register what you say.

>Part of me is just sort of disappointed that despite having all this power and supposedly being a genius, he never really accomplishes anything of note.

That's the point.

The Dark Lords are basically people who have all the cards in hands, and can't use them.

They are disappointing.

Darth Vader would be a Dark Lord.
>>
>>50231433
>>50231456

If a Dark Lord's goal was to find something to drink, they'd die of thirst while swimming in a lake of clear water.
>>
What are some unique defenses a crypt of an ancient empire might have?
>>
>>50231426
I mean, he has a point in that the smaller bonuses and DCs limit the design space in the sense that
1.) the differences between characters' bonuses will be smaller (since the range of bonuses is smaller)
2.) you can't scale your effects as much, because the difference between a small and a high bonus is little (i.e. you can't put superhuman feats of skill in the ~25 range, since a first level character would accomplish them 5% of the time; but you also can't put them higher, since the majority of high level characters wouldn't be able to ever reliably accomplish them, because the bonuses don't scale that much).

And these wouldn't be an issue with a smaller dice.
>>
>>50227300
The answer to decreasing swinginess, or at least to put a band-aid on the worst thing it causes, is to not make people roll for things where the outcome of them failing or succeeding would be fucking dumb and add nothing to the game while prompting the players to spit and hiss memes.
>20 str barbarian rolls to break down locked door, rolls a 1
>"what? don't roll unless I say to roll first. You have 20 strength so you break the door down"
>orc player with 6 int challenges the wizard to a game of chess
>"unless you have some method of cheating, you lose"
There's things your character should just be able to do and not be able to do. If your GM made you roll for taking a poop in this system there's a pretty big chance you would miss the bowl.
>>
>>50231456
Given all the shit he puts the party through, I just want to get the chance to tell him how much he sucks at the end. Even if he immediately kills me afterwards. Especially if he immediately kills me afterwards.
>Darth Vader would be a Dark Lord.
But Darth Vader got redeemed.
>>50231468
I know. It's the principle of the thing, even if it has no real impact.
>>
>>50231418
>>50231432
thanks!
>>
>>50231072
>>50231405
>>50231456
>>50231468
I wonder what would happen if a sun deity could overpower the defensive wards of Barovia/Ravenloft to manifest an avatar there.
>>
>>50231478

I still make them roll, because critical fails and successes are what make the game great

>My 20 strength barbarian kicks down the door, I roll a 1
Your leg cuts straight through the wood and becomes stuck on the other side

>My int 6 half Orc challenges the wizard to chess, I roll a 20
You miraculously move the pieces in the perfect order and alignment to defeat the wizard, just by sheer dumb luck
>>
Are animal companions proficent with armor/barding?
>>
>>50231502
That's stupid.
>>
>>50231494
>I wonder what would happen if a sun deity could overpower the defensive wards of Barovia/Ravenloft to manifest an avatar there.

Nothing would happen.

Well, the deity would probably blast it once or twice, but it always comes back.
>>
>>50231514
You're stupid
>>
>>50231502

That's an houserule, for people who like it swingy

Crits don't work like that in the main game, for a good reason.
>>
>>50231502
Hope I never play with you
>>
>>50231508
go throw some on your doggo, let us know if he can still cast spells
>>
File: 5e npc proficiencies.png (136KB, 359x193px) Image search: [Google]
5e npc proficiencies.png
136KB, 359x193px
>>50231508
Any proficiencies outside of what's in their stat block is, by RAW, up to the DM.
>>
>>50231542

An idea I had for a relatively low-level group was to make them encounter a weak NPC, maybe not Commoner but not much stronger, except the NPC is wearing full plate armor.

But then, there is the problem of looting.
>>
>>50231517
What always comes back? Strahd?

Avatars, if going off 2e, and the gods, if going off 3xe, are goddamn powerful.
>>
>>50228027
But you can sneak attack with a dagger, and martial arts lets you use daggers as a d6 weapon and flurry with them
>>
>>50230947
looks like he wants to bethat kind of guy you some times see in pop culture who can bang anyone in d&d and for some reason thats charming and fun
>>
>>50231616
Pretty sure you can "Sneak Attack" with anything in 5e.
>>
>>50231494
The dark powers would throw them out.
>>
>>50231667
No you can't, you can only sneak attack with finesse or ranged weapons

>>50227350
But what about the level order? 6 in monk then the rest in rogue? 1 monk, 1 rogue, 5 monk, 13 rogue? 3 rogue, 6 monk, 11 rogue?
>>
>>50231695
Really? I guess I never noticed that bit, since I've never been in a situation where I'd want to sneak attack with anything but those weapons.
>>
>>50231588

Strahd/the Ravenloft domain he's tied to.

The only way to escape it is being so utterly boring and unresponsive to everything that the dark powers can't find a way to punish you.
>>
>>50231714
The only stand-out example of something you'd want to sneak attack with, but can't, would be the monk unarmed strike
>>
>>50231726
And as >>50231616 and others have pointed out, daggers and shortswords are monk weapons with finesse so a rogue/monk can still get their Sneak Attack going but only with the normal weapon attacks, not with martial arts/flurry bonus.
>>
>>50231748
why can't monks sneak attack with flurry?
>>
>>50227402
Prepping the Rape Demons for next session. Their butts won't know what hit them.
>>
>>50231748
You can only sneak attack once a turn anyway so that's not a big deal.
>>
>>50227079
The key is to use sentinel and haste. You have a pretty imposible AC so the enemy is not gonna hit you.And if they ignore you, you strike back. So you end doing 4 attacks per round at lvl 6 or make one creature waste your turn triying to hit you.
Thats like 4d8+20->38 at lvl 6 while a warlock does 3d10+3d6+15 -<42 at lvl 11.
Then at lvl 14 a bladesinger does: 4d8+40->58 and a warlock at 17 ->4d10+20 56.
At the time the bladesinger gets some magic weapon his dmg spike. But a bladesinger is a wizard first and dmg dealer second, so my first feat would be alert, then ASI to int and then to dex.
>>
>>50231773
Because while their unarmed strike uses Dex, it's neither a ranged, nor a finesse weapon

>>50231782
Well, it's a "big deal" in the sense that you don't get a second chance to land it in case you miss your standard action attack if you flurry, as opposed to using TWF or Crossbow mastery.
>>
I want to FUCK a cute Yuan-Ti
>>
>>50231802
Oh, flurry and martial arts specifically state "unarmed strike", rather than being usable with any weapon you can use martial arts with

Oh well, a monk/rogue can just use two daggers, then either use TWF or FoB depending on whether or not they hit with their basic attacks
>>
>>50230932
My thought is that her doing these things would be more of a means to an end, to help their own personal goals, in some way or another.
Funnily enough, the only other person in the party I know the alignment of is the Fighter himself, who's also TN.
That said, my character didn't particularly like killing chained-up animals, but begrudgingly went along with it.
>>
Would you allow an inhumanly strong humanoid monster to wear an armor that's heavier but more protective than plate?
>>
>>50231674
Can the Dark Powers enact Lady of Pain shenanigans?

>>50231723
If the deity has enough power to breach through that barrier, the deity can cleanse the entire land.
>>
>>50231870
You don't need any power to get in, though. It's only getting out that's hard.

Also note that the only person who's ever managed to bully the dark powers successfully was Vecna, who had ascended to godhood inside Ravenloft, and the adventure in which that happens is universally reviled for how little attention it paid to the lore of Greyhawk, Ravenloft, and Planescape.
>>
>>50231357
>What matters is the difference between the target number and your bonus, not the bonus size relative to your dice.
Interesting perspective. This does indeed define the %chance of success for you for a given task, but there is more to it than that, which people tend to be looking for when they want something "less swingy".

I know people who would say that both those things matter, and here are the 3 things people who are looking for a less swingy mechanic tend to be looking for. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

>1. Improvement to the Point of AutoSuccess.
People who want "less swingy systems" tend to want the number of tasks they no longer have any chance of failure at, to go up as they gain in skill. This happens to some degree in 5e, but much less so than in "less swingy games".

[Contd...]
>>
>>50231357
>>50231899
>2. Large Difference Between Skilled and Unskilled.
In a system where there's a more randomizer and less bonus, the difference in chance of success between characters who specialized in different things is much less pronounced.
In such a system, there's not much of a difference in performance between some schlub, and an olympic longjump competitor.
It's not about the % success you have on a single task, it's about how often your degree of skill determines how often you have a meaningful chance of success - in relation to unskilled characters.
In a less swingy system, the engineer can design a new engine great 80% of the time. The guy with no skill? 5% would be generous.

>3. Skill Reduces Variance
The third point I hear about people complaining about the swinginess is they want more consistent performance as skill level improves.
As their average roll (50% mark) goes up, they want their minimum roll to climb faster, and their maximum roll to climb slower.
For instance, yes, they want to be able to hit that DC25 without even rolling, but they're not necessarily looking to have that 25% chance of succeeding on a DC40 task, they'd be happy to have their number of target DCs they can hit be between say 25(minimum) and 35(maximum) instead (for example), or have the outliers become less and less likely and rolling consistently more and more likely.

[Contd...]
>>
>>50231357
>>50231905

>Appendix: Why Try Curved results?
It could be just a way to reduce the variance in the roll in order to increase the emphasis on the difference in bonuses between skilled and unskilled characters (In the post you replied to that's all it does).
It keeps the average performance the same, reduces the outlying good and bad performance significantly, and the only way to succeed on a more difficult task more consistently is to increase your numbers.
Alternately, If you wanted to just set hard limits on luck rather than making improved luck just severely unlikely, you could instead just do like, d6+7, or d8+6. This makes the outliers flat out impossible, and makes it easy to know what your odds of success are on any DC within your capabilities.

>Potential Benefits of Curved Probabilities
A benefit of curved results is they may yield results you like when trying to tie in the quality of a success in the same roll as your pass fail.
Why might you want that? It's psychologically satisfying to have your roll, (say, beating their AC by 5) be a major determiner of Damage, rather than doing a separate roll. It's psychologically satisfying for many players to have a high roll (beyond the point of success) have meaning. Conversely, It's frustrating to many players for instance, when you crit, and then roll minimum damage.
>>
>>50231870
Dark Powers and Lady of Pain are essentially the same thing - the all-powerful, unexplained, unbeatable "mysterious" entity that was very popular in times of 2e.
You'll notice that in Curse of Strahd, dark powers are massively scaled down, as are dark lords. They still have impressive control over Barovia, but it's not batshit insane anymore. For example, in 2e you could cast any spell - even Wish - and it would only work if Dark Powers felt like it, and they could twist it however they liked.
>>
>>50231913
In 2e, the Dark Powers were more or less like the gods you get your cleric spells from, but more powerful within Ravenloft.

They can directly intervene in your life, but you can't even find them, let alone interact with or confront them.
>>
>>50231889
Didn't that one asshole from dragonlance also manage to get out?
>>
>>50231797
PAM sounds like a better idea than sentinel, but it uses strength instead of dexterity.
It could use wisdom or charisma with shillelagh and you'd pick up heavy armour, but...
Bladesinger doesn't like such armours and obviously works better with dex and int.

It's a bit MAD and using up a feat for a better-than-cantrip attack that's probably worse than using spells and puts you in line of fire of non-AC attacks of monsters.
>>
>>50231934
Soth got out by accepting that he'd fucked up, and refusing to play the dark powers' game. They realised they weren't going to get any entertainment out of him, and let him out.

Tracy Hickman getting butthurt also helped.
>>
>>50231889
I really like Vecna, he's one of my favourite gods, but goddamn was that scenario retarded.

An idea would be to possibly invite a powered down shard of a deity, invite it in and devote amounts of worship to it. This is difficult but Vecna managed.

Wait, wasn't Vecna a Greyhawk entity and already a god there.

>>50231913
That's pretty cool, they should've stayed nebulous. I also like the Lady of Pain, but also like brainstorming shenanigans. The Dark Powers would obviously be on a different level to the Lady as >>50231925 eloquently put it.

>>50231934
Yeah, Lord Soth. But that was because Tracy and Margaret got butthurt Wizards were playing with their toys and demanded he be released so only the can write him.
>>
>>50231870
>If the deity has enough power to breach through that barrier, the deity can cleanse the entire land

Not really, no.

>>50231889

Vecna was so bullshit he created D&D 3.X.

I'm not even joking. It's canon how 3.X was created by an evil wizard who was trying to give himself more power.

"Die, Vecna, Die" got to be the best adventure name ever, though.
>>
>>50231934

He became so boring and unresponsive that the Dark Powers couldn't do anything with him
>>
>>50231357
>>50231899
>>50231905

Note, that when someone is talking about something that's "less swingy", they may only be referring to one of these three things.

>Scaling vs DCs
I've heard people say pathfinder is less swingy than 5e. When I ask them why, what they immediately describe is the number and impressiveness of of tasks they can eventually autosucceed at.

>Bell Curves/Large Bonus Compared to Randomizer
Other times when someone says GURPS is less swingy than D&D (any edition) they're referring to simply having a smaller variance of difficulties someone can reasonably attain with a given skill level.

>Dice Pools!
And of course, something like Shadowrun or World of Darkness is considered less swingy than D&D by many because your performance gets more consistent as your skill improves AND you gradually get more and more tasks that it's near impossible to fail, along with more and more tasks that you can actually succeed at.

>5e
>In 5e, you do eventually accumulate some tasks that are routine enough that you no longer have to roll (though not as many).
>You do not have the large differences in being trained at a task vs not trained +55% between a +5 Attribute/+6 Proficiency and a +0/+0.
>And you do not have character's DCs they can accomplish narrowing around their average roll as skill increases.

Hence, 5e is a swingy game.

That's not necessarily bad, but it's observable, and not desirable by everyone.
>>
More like Lord Sloth, am I right?
>>
>>50231984
*high fives (You)*
>>
>>50231984
I can imagine one of the dark powers being called Jerry making that joke right before they made the decision of kicking Soth out.
>>
>>50231478
>Scaling to the point of Auto Success
>>50231476
>Difference in between skilled and unskilled characters

>>50231319
>It isn't worth all of the extra stuff for most people just to keep the probabilities the same but decrease the deviation.
And that's fair. Complexity is something to be considered, for sure.

>Reducing the deviation from the average makes your skill more reliable, but also makes each die roll less meaningful or dramatic.
A desirable outcome, if you're going for something like this. You'd also be looking to increase the difference in measurable skill between a skilled and unskilled character.

>>50231494
I think this is canonically a thing. A faerunian elven vampire (I believe it was Jander Sunstar) brought the worship of Lathander the Morning Lord into Barovia, and as it grew in followers, eventually he gained access to those worshippers.

In Barovia they're known as the Church/Cult of the Morning Lord, IIRC.
>>
>>50231984
Lord LittleShit.

>>50232007
Yeah, they're mega petty and edgy.
>>
>>50232031
Excellent. Yeah! CoS makes reference to the Morninglord, which is a title of Lathander. He has established a foothold there.
>>
>>50232049
>He has established a foothold there.
I know that people worship him there.

There's a novel, and a Vampires book of mini-modules for 2e that center on Jander Sunstar (possibly other stuff as well), and I've seen the Cult of the Morninglord mentioned.

He has worshippers there.
The part I'm not certain on, is whether or not he can actually grant spells in Ravenloft, or if they worship him like people worship gods in real life - with no hard proof that they exist.
>>
>>50232068
Could you reference the modules, brah? Or would they be in the Ravenloft collection?

Well, apparently CoS and Chris Perkins have put forward he is only known as the Morninglord and no other names, people would askance if someone mentions Lathander specifically. So there's that confounding it all.

Then again, it could be the Dark Powers granting the spells.
>>
>>50231476 here

Instead of using curves (as that makes calculating the hit chances and AC/to hit scaling a fucking nightmare; even level 20 characters have next to no chance to hit a a 26 AC dragon, for example), I'd adjust the proficiency scaling; rebalancing around that would be a lot easier.

Taking a page out of 4e's book, I'd change proficiency to be 1/2 level + 2 (currently it is "(level-1)/4 +2"), with non-proficient skills/defenses scaling at half of that. You have to adjust AC and non-prof defenses to scale at the 1/4th rate, but this adds a much more comfortable range to work with.
>>
File: look at that smug face.png (388KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
look at that smug face.png
388KB, 1280x720px
>>50232117
>20th-level rogues can't get below a 39 on expertised Stealth
>>
>>50232131
Right, I had that in mind, but forgot to mention that anything that doubles up Expertise would obviously have to work with the 1/4th scaling instead of the 1/2.
>>
>>50232131
That sounds like hell, nobody but some uber level marksman can ever know you're there
>>
>>50232097
Novel:
Vampire of the Mists:
Premise: Jander Sunstar, Sun Elf Ranger and worshipper of Lathander the Morninglord, is an adventurer. His party is trying to defend a town from vampires. Most of them die, and he's turned into a vampire. He tries real-hard to be a good person, often fails. Gets plopped down into Barovia, and accidentally starts the Cult of the Morninglord.

Modules:
Children of the Night: Vampires

And I'm sure he's detailed elsewhere too, but I can't remember where.
>>
>>50232097
Jander's got a bit in Children of the Night - Vampires, but that doesn't mention the Children of the Morninglord.

The Children of the Morninglord get some details elsewhere (e.g. "The only spellcasting priests of this land belong to the Cult of the Moninglord. They have major access to the spheres of all, elemental, healing, and sun and minor access to the spheres of combat. wards, and weather." from the Barovia section of Domains of Dread). The 2e stuff refuses to state who's powering priestly spells in Ravenloft, but suggests the dark powers do it themselves.
>>
>>50232147
Until you uncover yourself, yeah. There's no "sniping" option in 5e, so you can't be perma hidden.

Honestly, epic level skills may just be what a rogue needs to get him out of mediocrity.

>>50232145
Well, assuming you want to keep it the current level of "balanced" anyway.
>>
>>50232154
>>50232168
Thanks heaps brahs.
Yeah, I remember reading Vampire of the Mists, it was quite good, would recommend.

Will try to find the other supplements as mentioned.
Figured it might have been the Dark Powers masquerading as a the Morninglord, even if it's not directly stated.

It'd be good if we got supplements similar to Faiths and Avatars and that line of awesome products.
>>
>>50232154
>I'm sure he's detailed elsewhere too, but I can't remember where.
According to his writeup (as Jander Sundstar) in the FR Villains' Lorebook, he also appears in Blood Sport in the Realms of Infamy anthology.
>>
>>50232117
>Change it from 2+(L-1)/4 to 2+L/2
>From +7..+11 to +7..+17
>Adjust ACs and Non-Proficient Defenses to scale by the extra Lv/4, as well.
Hmm.

>Scaling vs DCs/Specialize to autosuccess
Yeah, this accomplishes that.
>Difference in capability between skilled and unskilled.
Yeah. It does that more than the default, too.
>Decreased Variance as skill improves.
Doesn't do this one though.

Certainly a promising looking one to play around with and test out.

I think I will play with a few of the options presented in this thread, and see how they work out.

This one does make the math easier if you're trying to figure out just what your odds of success are, which is not easy with either the 3dx or nd3 options presented.

You could also do okay making it less swingy by replacing the d20 with d10+5, or d12+4 though, emphasizing the difference in capability between characters even further, if desired. +10% or +8.33% per number instead of +5%, but flat distribution makes it easy to math out, and makes it just as easy to do advantage as before.
>>
>>50232147
You still have to qualify to hide in the first place and have a means to hide. If you say 'I stealth' and you're standing naked in a town square, you won't turn invisible. You could probably camouflague yourself standing naked in the open and make it work, though. I assume stealth includes masking scent and all that.
>>
>>50232117
>Taking a page out of 4e's book, I'd change proficiency to be 1/2 level + 2 (currently it is "(level-1)/4 +2"), with non-proficient skills/defenses scaling at half of that. You have to adjust AC and non-prof defenses to scale at the 1/4th rate, but this adds a much more comfortable range to work with.

So you just want to break the game.

> even level 20 characters have next to no chance to hit a a 26 AC dragon

That's the point.
>>
>>50232237
>That's the point.
That's a stupid fucking point then.

With a 3d6 you'd change the current chance of around 50% chance to hit with a +3 magic weapon to... I don't even know but somewhere around 15%. 85% of attacks would be misses.

such epic, much battle, wow
>>
There is a reason why 5e works with smaller numbers than 4e or 3.PF, anon.
>>
>>50232256

>With a 3d6 you'd change the current chance of around 50% chance to hit with a +3 magic weapon to... I don't even know but somewhere around 15%. 85% of attacks would be misses.

Oh, you meant with 3d6. Sorry, didn't get this part, I thought you meant with 1d20.

Using 3d6 for 5e is just plain wrong. It'd demand to recalculate everything from the ground up.

Better play an entire different game, at this point
>>
>rolling for stats
>roll well
>make a highly religious buff dude that uses a big-ass claymore and is good with wits and words
>an unnatural amount of moral choices and lose-lose situations happens to my character, to the point when even the party notices
>always choose the lesser evil and deal with the consequences, never lose faith and keep everyone's spirits up
>finally, am presented with a situation when there's seemingly no way out - a demonic posession scenario
>have to kill a posessed but otherwise innocent dude
>bitch slap the manifested demon to oblivion and Raise Dead on the victim's sorry ass
>with a smug face the DM announces that I lose my abilities due to all the choices I made
>look at him the way you look at someone who just dun goofed so bad you can't even laugh
>just point to the BARD written in bright green ink on my sheet
>he reddens and starts stuttering something about divine intervention. not even exaggerating, he literally sat there unable to pronounce a single word on the first try
>burst into roaring laughter with the whole party and suggest that it's time we switched DMs
>take his place by popular vote
>he considered leaving the group but we convinced him to stay

Feels funny to be all hyped up and unable to share, but good anyway.
>>
>>50231502
Any game with stupid rule like critical fails and Success will be met will a Halfling diviner with lucky feat.

Always.
>>
File: YOU DID IT.png (235KB, 417x578px) Image search: [Google]
YOU DID IT.png
235KB, 417x578px
>>50232287
That's a pretty cool story that didn't happen friend.
>>
>>50232295
Believe what you want, friend.
>>
>>50231979
Most adventurer will be auto succeed at DC 5 things (stuff that commoner need a little luck to succeed) right out of level 1. Rogue and Bard will be able to auto succeed DC 10 around level 10.

I still don't see it as swingy, unless you use 3.5 DC (lol DC15 and 20 on everything) on 5e for some reason.
>>
>>50232299
Don't tell me what to do, pal.
>>
>>50232237
This is my concern with >>50232117.
I'd have to doublecheck the math to make sure things would work out as you suggest.

>Next to no chance to hit an AC26 Dragon
I think he meant "when you switch to a bell curve".
Since, there would only be a 0.05% chance of rolling a 20, and your odds of rolling a 16+ are more or less comparable to your odds of rolling a 20 on 1d20.

>>50232256
>>50232237 is not me (>>50227300)

+14(5+6+3) vs AC 26
Succeed on a 12.
d20: 45% of the time
3d6: 37.5% of the time.
http://anydice.com/program/9d94

Not that big a difference. It's at the extremes of your luck range where the difference is pronounced with 3d6.

You would have a 30% chance of hitting AC29 with 1d20, and a 9.26% chance with 3d6.

And a 0.46% chance of hitting AC32, vs a 15% chance with a d20.
>>
>>50232306
*Cast Command*
>>
Why halflings are depicted barefoot so often? It's just impractical, especially when you're an adventurer. Rocks, traps, caltrops, barbs, hot surfaces, cold surfaces, insects and animals - all that can be mitigated by a simple pair of boots.
>>
>>50232306
Do what you want and follow your dreams, bro. Or don't do anything and chill, it's up to you.
>>
>>50232312

5e is not meant to be played with 3d6, dude.

Seriously, that'd mess with most of the calculations. In a small way at first, perhaps, but the more rolls there is, the more it'd be visible
>>
>>50232325
Those thick, leathery soles are better than any animal hide boot
>>
>>50232325
They are supposed to have thick soles. Having full use of your toes for gripping and possibly sensing with is actually really useful for all kinds of stealthy/athletic activities (though I'm not sure the game models it).
>>
>>50232325
>Why halflings are depicted barefoot so often?

Because they're literally Hobbits.
>>
>>50232346
>he doesn't have his adventuring boots have steel toes and steel soles with a soft coating

Enjoy getting your feet crushed and stabbed, pleb.
>>
>>50232287

If this is true, then your DM deserves to stop being DM due to a) not knowing what his players are playing b) not reading the rules on Paladins, which clearly state all those "muh lose-lose situations" are meaningless c) trying to make a paladin fall for no reason d) not talking with you despite having a problem with your character.

That being said, I doubt a Bard could do bard things with a claymore, without showing he's a bard
>>
>>50232357
You could get sole-less shoes for that if you really want.
>>
>>50232303
>Auto Successes on some really easy stuff
Sure. On the easy stuff.
But you don't scale to the point of auto successes on impressive stuff, like you would in say, PF.

Not to mention the minimized difference in potential between trained and untrained characters in 5e.

>unless you use 3.5 DC (lol DC15 and 20 on everything) on 5e for some reason.
I was thinking based on the guidelines in the 5e DMG, but I suppose you could do some combination of further condensing DCs (more tasks you can autosucceed at as you gain skill) and reducing the size of the randomizer die (increasing the difference in capability between skilled and unskilled characters).

>>50232336
Yeah, I have yet to settle on an option, but I will likely run a bunch of numbers/simulations, look at existing content, and test stuff.

There are a few different options to try to get those 3 things that make a game less swingy; as for which one works best with the rest of 5e, I'm unsure.
>>
>>50227141
I rip the audio from youtube and listen like its a podcast while exercising and doing house work.

Works like a charm.
>>
>>50227141
>http://www.clipconverter.cc
>>
>>50232379
>>50232389
Check out Dice, Camera, Action as well. That shit is really good.
>>
>>50232398
I've been listening to a lot of WebDM lately , but I think I've gone through pretty much all their videos at this point.
>>
>>50232378
The point is that DC10 is difficult stuff in 5e.
>>
>>50232405
What did you think of the campaign?
>>
>>50232417
For a normal, untrained human.

You stop being normal when the fireballs start flying.
>>
>>50232378
Trained Character would be Rogue. Rogue can't roll under 10 at level 11. So they would autosucceed in anything ~DC23 (which is pretty much everything)
>>
>>50232378

>
There are a few different options to try to get those 3 things that make a game less swingy; as for which one works best with the rest of 5e, I'm unsure.

Try playing the game as it is for a while, see how the rythm go
>>
>>50232426

Even a CR 1/4 enemy can decimate a small village in less than a minute
>>
>>50232464
ebin meme
>>
>>50232432
>which is pretty much everything

Well, it's pretty much everything _mundane_.

If skills were allowed to go into the fantastic, this would not be a problem, since there'd still be things left to try to succeed at.
>>
>>50227035
> Have you ever sacrificed mechanical power for flavor?

I play a Wild Magic sorcerer, and I'm considering taking blink.
>>
>It's a "the player has come up with a convoluted reason as to why knowledge on a topic is tied to a certain skill and why their character could possibly have that knowledge in the first place" check
>>
>>50232470
> moving goal post
You complain that the game skill check is swingy even on a skilled character. We already establish that it isn't true.
>>
>>50229950
Actually, now that I think of it, since I used Thunderclap, shouldn't have practically every fucker in the cave heard a loud scream?
>>
>>50232526
I'm not sure who you think I am, but I'm not complaining about swingyness. Also, there are literally 2 classes who get expertise, and only 1 of them gets reliable. If that's your definition for "skilled", it's really narrow and restrictive.
>>
>>50232514
eg
>>
Probably kinda dumb but with Eldritch blasts multiple beams do I need to roll attack rolls for each if they all go to the same target?
>>
>>50232589
yes
>>
>>50232589
yes
>>
>>50232589
Yeah, some might miss but it's better than an all or nothing cantrip that only targets 1 thing.
>>
>>50228094
ask if you can use the half orcs relentless endurance instead of the not dying thing. it's something at least.
>>
>>50227035
So I'm not caught up on UA. How did people like the barb ones? What's up with the bard ones not having an article, and the title being wrong style and saying Bard instead of UA? Also the formatting is all over the place, Quick Characters was submitted as a word file at first which I get and it was corrected, but then the updated quick characters file has colors and shit, probably using the PHB styles instead of UA styles?
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/DND/UA_Quick_PCs_SFG.PDF
Then the Barbarian one and the revised Ranger have different body fonts, margins etc. than the ones before, which just seems odd?
>>
>>50232601
>>50232603
>>50232604
I thought so, thanks
>>
>>50228890
Sounds like my game, i was hoping someone might lend some insight
>>
I have this druid in my party who is getting a bit annoying with his power gaming

Correct me if I'm wrong tg, but is it really meant to be reasonable for him to Conjure Woodland beings for 8 untouchable pixies, and be able to cast over half a dozen spells each that range from level 3-5 for the price of one level 4 spell slot, while he goes around fucking shit up in elemental form, just like that?

Because something sounds off about that
>>
>>50232544
>and only 1 of them gets reliable

And the other one gets peerless skill and the spell Enhance Ability
>>
>>50232303
>I still don't see it as swingy
Are you insane? More than half of the game is as swingy as low levels are in other editions of D&D.
>>
>>50232876

At level 9, my bard can't roll lower than 18 on performance with his instrument of choice (critical failure + charisma mod + prof + expertise + luckstone + instrument prof )

Sure, that's one skill, but it's called "expertise "
>>
>>50232288
As a DM who does both crit fails and successes, I have zero issues with it. However, I'm also a DM who prepares for the outlier possibilities, including one-shotting my BBEG.
>>
>>50232899
DC don't scale up in 5e. You will be facing DC 10 or 15 most of the time.

Assuming +3 in ability score and they put ASI on level up.

Level 1: 75% or 50% chance of succeed
Level 1 with expertise: 85% or 60% chance to succeed.
Level 5: 85% or 60% chance of succeed
Level 5 with expertise 100% or 75% chance of succeed.

A lot less swingy than 3.pf
>>
>>50232969
Yeah, let's focus on skill checks instead of everything else, that's totally going to prove that the game isn't swingy.
>>
>>50232859
Yes, it's reasonable. Welcome to the wonderful world of summons. It will only get better. Deal with it.
>>
>>50232859
There was a sage advice saying that actually the DM is supposed to choose the results, the caster can only choose the amount of creatures that appear.
>>
>>50232859
The DM chooses what is summoned, pixies are OP so DMs rarely make them show up.
>>
>>50233010
That...is *very* good to know, thank you.
>>
Can 5e emulate the Age of Netheril and the height of the Crown Wars?
>>
Yo where is the latest math on highest DPR?
>>
>>50230541
Dual wield shortswords as a Rogue, sneak attack people without having to worry about disengaging from melee.

Alternatively. Make an attack, reach becomes 10ft, replace attack with grapple, grab someone from 10ft away. Turn ends, they remain grappled 10ft away.

Unless they have a ranged weapon or a reach weapon, they cannot move, fight back or attack you as you are out of their reach, they can only roll athletics or acro to escape the grapple. Meanwhile you hold them in place with one hand while stabbing them with the other.
>>
>>50233132
In 5e, I'd rule that they can attack your hand you are holding them with.
>>
>>50233151
Which is represent by athletic:strength check. Your attack isn't significant enough to do damage but it might release you from grapple.
>>
Does 5e have shield bashes?
>>
>>50232972
Bounded Accuracy also applies to AC and save DCs.
>>
>>50232859
>>50233058
You're already lucky your player didn't abuse pixie's polymorph and turn everyone into Giant Ape or Haf-Dragon T-rex.
>>
>>50233029
>>50233058
And since there is only 3 x CR 1/4 fey... You're bound to get pixie sooner or later. Sprite are pretty awful too, spamming arrow until the BBEG eventually roll a 1 on its saving throw and become unconscious

Blink Dog isn't that strong but it can be annoying.
>>
>>50232859
DM chooses within reason, most DM's will be happy to obliege what you want. In this situation since I know Pixies are fucking OP, I would say "you conjure 2 Pixies and 6 Sprites.".
>>
>>50233168

That's bollocks and you know it. Slicing at someone's arm should hurt them. If the player wants to attack rather than break the grapple, they have that option. Appendages aren't invincible poles.
>>
I suddenly have to DM later today, and I got nothing prepared, so I'm fretting over some shitty quick and dirty story.

All I know is that my players don't want to start at level 1, what would be a good alternative? Level 3-5?
>>
>>50233241
level 3 if you have nothing prepared, it lets you justify a simple starter adventure which is a whole lot easier to run than a higher level one if not prepared. It also lets people start at the first real power spike, which is when it starts being fun.
>>
>>50233239
> He grappled your weapon hand, you also can't attack now!

Since you don't want to go by RAW, you knew this would happen.
>>
>>50232859

What the others said. If you have the cash, buy the DM the 5e Tome of Beasts. That thing has fucking scads of Fey.
>>
>>50233239
>his appendages aren't invincible poles

Stay wounded, pleb.
>>
>>50233269

It sounds like you don't want to go by RAW. Nothing about grapples stops attacking, all it does is reduce your movement speed to 0. The fuck are you even on?
>>
>>50233265
Alright, thanks mate.
>>
>>50233151
>>50233239
You stab him in the hand. It hurts. It may cause him to recoil and release you, however it does not afflict any damage that results in HP loss since you just stabbed his hand.
>>
>>50233278
And the craziest most OP beasts to ever exist outside of Dndwiki.
>>
>>50233241
3-4 Are good levels to start, I suggest 4 so that if the player wants to a feat to work their character around they aren't forced into being Human.
>>
>>50233293

So your player wants to take the attack action, but you deny him his agency and force him to attempt to break a grapple instead? Fuck off you piece of shit.
>>
>>50233286
The enemy is grappled at 10ft away. By RAW, they can't reach our bugbear unless they use reach weapon or ranged weapon (which the original bugbear poster already mentioned).
>>
>>50233241
What dirty-session ideas have you got then?
>>
>>50233344

He ain't grappled with telekinesis. The arms are right there, 0 feet away. If you want, you could be an utter cunt and give the bugbear 3/4th cover (which you would since you're being a faggot), but it's still within weapon reach.
>>
>>50233310
Okay, how about this. The enemy is a winged kobold, flying 30ft in the air perched on a chandelier. The party Barbarian wishes to attack them despite the distance with his warhammer.

Do you allow this, how and why?
>>
>>50233310
It's his fault for not carrying range weapon or throw weapon or range spell or oil or alchemist's fire.

If he got grapple at range (many monster can do this BTW), and he still want to do MUH GREATSWORD MELEE ATTACK, then he's retard and deserve it.
>>
>>50233293
>You shoot him in the ass through the keyhole. It hurts. It may cause him to recoil and release the door, however it does not afflict any damage that results in HP loss since you just shoot him in his ass with a crossbow.
>>
>>50233356
Stop moving goal post. You want to argue RAW? You can't attack him.

You want to argue go with what make sense? The bugbear grab your sword arm and now you can't even use attack action.
>>
>>50233356
Except to damage the bugbear in a manner that inflicts loss of HP, he must strike at the bugbear, not his limbs. A strike to the gut will inflict damage, a strike to the hands will make him recoil and lose the grapple represented by an opposed athletics check.
>>
>>50233359

Of course I allow it, the barb can throw the warhammer as an improvised weapon at any time.

>>50233365

No shit many monsters can do it. What, have you had octopi grappling your party at range and not allowing them the opportunity to attack the tentacles? The tentacles are also not invincible.

>>50233373

Why can you not attack a target that is within 0 feet of you? That's bullshit and you know it. I ain't moved shit.

>>50233382

So arms don't count as a part of a person? This is the bikinimail argument. Get a fuckin' grip.
>>
>>50233390
And a grappled warrior can throw his warhammer as an improvised weapon at the bugbear. He cannot make a melee attack out of range however.
>>
>>50233407

It's not at range, as it is not telekinetic grappling.
>>
>>50233390
Because he is NOT within 0ft of you, he is 10ft away.
This is RaW son.
>>
>>50233424
Then how is he touching you with his hand?
>>
>>50233424

Of course, but the arms are right there on you. It's a valid target. You can hop on twitter and bug Jeremy Crawford about it if it makes you feel better, but I'm never going to not rule that arms are invulnerable appendages because that's fucking stupid. I ain't gonna sit here and play this baitposting game with you any longer.
>>
>level 1
>get upper hand in encounter
>DM ends combat with an NPC intervention before we get to win
Is this supposed to happen
>>
>>50233415
The bugbear is physically standing 10ft. Regardless of how you interpret the grapple, the bugbear is allocated to the 5ft square zone that is 10ft away from the adventurers 5ft square zone, stopping him from making non-reach melee attacks.

Yes it is stupid, but it is RaW. Just like a warrior swallowed whole by a giant toad can attack just as effectively with a dagger as he can with his longspear, or even whip.
>>
>Make a low wis and low Int Paladin that fights for justice, love and everything that's right
>GM tries to "le fall" me with convoluted retoric from the bad guys
>My Paladin: "Sorry, I didn't get any of that, I'm still going to punish you though"
>Obviously upset that I'm ignoring him and his 1st year college philosophical bullshit
I'm probably either going to forcefully fall or kicked out of the game, I'm having a good time in the meanwhile
>>
>>50233448
No. That's 1 red flag for your DM. The players are suppose to feel heroic. If the NPC is stealing the scene then your DM is doing something wrong.
>>
>>50233446
This is RAW, he is 10ft away, if you want to do damage, he is 10ft away. He is not next to you, or in your square for the purposes of declaring him a target to your attacks. You cannot "Called shot" his hands according to RaW and these are the rules of the games.

We are speaking in terms of RaW, do you not understand that? We fucking KNOW it is stupid, and we KNOW that many Dm's will rule otherwise, but according to the rules as written in the book, despite being grappled by the bugbear you CANNOT declare an attack against him UNLESS you have a reach weapon. This is not opinion, this is D&D 5th edition.

The guy in question asked for stupid ways to abuse Bugbears long limbed, this is one of the ways. As we do not know the DM in question we cannot assume how he will handle this situation.
>>
>>50233465
You're right it didn't feel very heroic when a female NPC named after an anime character literally unzipped her katana and teleported behind two peasants that only started a bar brawl with the party.

Maybe he was afraid we would kill them (the NPC only disarmed them) but that seems like it should be part of the roleplaying experience.
>>
>>50233454
5e Paladin can't actually fall.
>>
>>50233454
No, you're playing paladin right. Stupidity is actually the perfect insulation against falling. If you're too dumb to understand the implications or consequences of your actions, they can't affect you.
>>
new bread when?
>>
>>50233502
To be fair, most players are kind of stupid in that sense, and fail to distinguish between a shouting match and some friendly tension or a good ol' fashioned bar brawl, or roughing up a troublemaker, a fair street fight, an honorable duel, a battle in a war, and a savage fight to death when the opponents are willing to do anything to destroy their foe.

In my experience, they too often grab their weapons and treat all fights like the last one.
>>
>>50233594
I haven't played enough myself to know how you would convey to players that it's not deadly combat, or even if you can have non-lethal combat.
>>
>>50233664
When the opponent shouts I'LL FUCK YOUR FACE UP SO HARD YOUR MOMMA WON'T RECOGNIZE YOU and runs at you, it's one thing.

When the opponent draws his axe and screams I'LL RIP YOUR FUCKING GUTS OUT AND HANG YOU ON THEM, it's another.

Guess you have to be socially competent at least a bit to spot the difference.
>>
>>50233664
>>50233712
Non-lethal fights most often mean no weapons, only fists. If you draw your fucking sword or whatever stabbybit you have, that means you're ready to kill your opponent, and that gives him an excuse to kill you.

If the intent is to capture, 5e makes this really simple - bring them to zero, and announce that you're knocking them out. This way they'll be unconscious and stable.
>>
Gonna be making a new character soon for a campaign.

Party is currently
>Old One Bladelock
>Fiend Pact Lock
>Divination Wizard (Me)
>Fighter who rolled shit stats and has now missed half the sessions, and the other half he "forgot" his character sheet
>Moon Druid who is ALWAYS in animal form, but is usually just a bat flying around the 2 warlocks

I liked the idea of a Divination Wizard, but the actual play isnt as fun as I had expected.

I've been looking at the different classes and I can't really decide whats a good fit. The party is waaaay more focused on Short Rests than Long Rests. I want to be tankier because 17 HP at level 3 is unappealing to me. Also I would like to beable to heal moderately well because we play recklessly.

If there was a Monk Subclass that healed, I would be golden. Paladin seems to be decent because I have the Lay on hands healing renewing on Short Rests. Revised Ranger seems really cool with all those exploration features and while it doesnt seem as good at healing or as tanky as a Paladin, multiclassing it with a Cleric seems like it kinda fits the bill, though nothing really involving short rests.

>Short Rests
>Tanky
>Healing

Any recommendations? Just worry about mechanics. I sorta build my characters around the concept of "Form follows Function" So I just list out all my abilities and features in a text document and write "Why?" under each point and write up answers which is how I build my character story.
>>
Halfling wizard (diviner) 2/ Bard (Lore) 4/ Rogue (AT) 11 with lucky feat

is this the most reliable character possible? Maybe Half-elf instead of halfling for more skills
>>
>>50232357
>the DM still makes you take 1 damage from caltrops
>>
>>50233829
Uh, you're going to need the most reliable GROUP possible to get to level 17, friendo.
>>
>>50233029

yeah, I'm going to yank the DM's chain on that.
>>
>>50233779
Valor Bard. d8 hit die and medium armor (with 14 or higher dex) with shield is nothing to sneeze at in terms of survivability, and you can augment yourself even further with spells.

Bards get Cure Wounds, and their inspiration dice recharge on short rest, and their boost party healing with Song of Rest.
>>
>>50233854
Start as a rogue, you have 6 skills (4 from class + 2 from background) and expertise (2 skills), then take 4 levels of bard (lore) this gives you more 4 skills (one at first level when you MC and 3 from lore subclass),expertise to 2 more skills, jack of all trades and lucky feat (take it instead of ASI).

You have all this at level 5. Then you go Diviner 2 for more consistent results.
>>
>>50233594
Also to be fair, any unarmed commoner who starts picking a fight with people who are obviously decked out in weapons and armor has to be pretty fucking stupid.

I agree that PCs are often far too eager to jump the gun, but the DM has some responsibility for establishing context. Describing the commoners as being deliriously drunk helps explain why they're challenging Smashy McDwarfhammer to a brawl, and their drunken state also makes them seem less like a real threat. If for some reason they do not have an excuse for an obvious lack of common sense, or they themselves are also armed, then the situation changes.
>>
>>50233829
My recommendation, based on experience, is to not build a character concept beyond Level 6. Most campaigns fall apart before that or have a TPK.

It comes down to either playing 1 class to level 6 or maybe choosing to multiclass between 2 classes based on their Subclasses features at level 3.

Admittedly, i think it is best to only focus on building the best character you can for your starting level and let things happen naturally as you play the game, otherwise your choices will feel forced, you'll have some cool options but you'll have a lame character and boring story with nothing strong to roleplay off of.
>>
>>50233102
Sure. Just up the magic items, and invent some new 10+ level spells. The Netheril book from 2e has some points to get you started.

For casting them, I would say you have to use combined spell slots that equal to double the spell level you're casting. So, for 10th level, you have to cast it by expending spell slots who's level is equal to 20.
>>
>>50233909
You can even make a non-musical bard if it irks you like me. Inspiration can be refluffed as "carefully laying out a plan before doing shit and following it; bonuses happen because you foreseen that situation", Song of Rest is stitching wounds, bandaging bruises and applying salves, cast using a pouch, and Countercharm is shouting something along the lines of "DON'T YOU DARE TURNING BACK" like a drill sergeant. Or whatever.
>>
>>50233909
Thats pretty convincing. Do you recommend multiclassing that with anything, or is it stronger to just go straight Valor Bard?
>>
>>50233958
So basically refluff Valor Bard as a Warlord from 4th Edition.
>>
>>50233933
>is to not build a character concept beyond Level 6. Most campaigns fall apart before that or have a TPK.
I always thought the same, and there was a poll about this. Classes should be compared around these levels, no reason to say "x class is the best cause its level 15 ability is OP"
>>
>>50231308
Nothing after he kills Grendel and heads home. Should I?
>>
>>50233987
Not really sure about that. Depends on what do you want. Starting with Fighter gives you CON proficiency, martial weapons, heavy armor and Second Wind, but if you can spare a feat you can take Resilient (CON), or heavy armor proficiency, or Tough.

War Cleric would give you heavy armor and wouldn't slow your spellcasting.

If you go full Bard you wouldn't miss anything serious, though.
>>
>>50234023
Never played 4e and don't intend to. I just don't like the idea of trying to play music when you have a weapon in one hand and everyone is shouting.
>>
>>50234043
Yea, i usually judge a class based on levels 1-3. And most are quite good. Revised Ranger is REALLY good in my eyes.

All those level 1 features for exploration. Plus extra languages. Not to mention their hit die being a d10 now, and you can start with a chain shirt and have prof with shields.

My criteria for a class is based on Exploration, Social, and Combat. Most classes don't actually provide bonuses to Social outside of bonuses to skills. Fey Locks have a cool feature to Charm or Frighten shit though. I think stronger roleplaying comes from cool features than from statistical bonuses. Though there's a good amount of Social stuff for spellcasters. Getting information from Animals via Speak With Animals is always interesting.
>>
>>50234099
I was thinking more along the lines of cool class features. Like...one of the things I am not so interested in with regards to Bards is their major features are mostly +to Skills, they don't grant you cool new interesting options, just more likelihood of success on your existing options.

Maybe I am just uncreative and need the game to explicitly tell me I can do cool things lol
>>
>>50234146
>Yea, i usually judge a class based on levels 1-3
What classes dou you consider "the best" at these levels? I played a Light Cleric recently and had a blast, clerics are one of the strongest classes in low levels imo
>>
I'm a long time 3.5 and Pathfinder player, and for a change of pace my group has decided to give 5e a crack.

Any advice to help make this transition easier?
>>
>>50234199
Read the book, I'm serious. There are things that work differently but use the same name, dont think that just because you played 3.5 you know how it is in 5e
>>
New thread

>>50234218
>>
>>50234162
Warlocks are as cool as it gets in my opinion. But they are a controversial thing.

I know some GMs who ban Chain-pact because they can't handle anyone having familiars, or Eldritch Blast because it's "overpowered".

Maybe you can try Paladin.

As of skills, skills allow you to do cool shit more often then not. Jumping onto a dragon from a ledge and climbing to his head using an axe and a dagger as hooks then latching on and stabbing him in the eyes is definitely a series of Athletics or Acrobatics checks, creating a network of spies and informants to know the BBEG's every move is definitely a series social checks, maybe some spells involved, and so on.

But if you have a GM that focuses on combat and doesn't allow anything out of RAW, my condolences.
Thread posts: 426
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.