[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 442
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_0310.jpg (501KB, 769x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0310.jpg
501KB, 769x1000px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Thread topic: How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

Previously on /5eg/... >>50227035
>>
>>50234218
>that retarded hammer
I hate "fantasy" art sometimes
>>
File: IMG_0124.jpg (215KB, 700x983px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0124.jpg
215KB, 700x983px
>>50234218
>forgot the title

Fuck
>>
>>50234162
Warlocks are as cool as it gets in my opinion. But they are a controversial thing.

I know some GMs who ban Chain-pact because they can't handle anyone having familiars, or Eldritch Blast because it's "overpowered".

Maybe you can try Paladin.

As of skills, skills allow you to do cool shit more often then not. Jumping onto a dragon from a ledge and climbing to his head using an axe and a dagger as hooks then latching on and stabbing him in the eyes is definitely a series of Athletics or Acrobatics checks, creating a network of spies and informants to know the BBEG's every move is definitely a series social checks, maybe some spells involved, and so on.

But if you have a GM that focuses on combat and doesn't allow anything out of RAW, my condolences. This is the domain of 3.pf.
>>
File: War.png (16KB, 378x218px) Image search: [Google]
War.png
16KB, 378x218px
Have any of your characters ever actually cared when an NPC died (excluding heroic sacrifices / immediate resurrection, etc.)
>>
>>50234218
What is the "Gimli Effect"?
>>
>>50234245
I'd be more worried about the pauldrons that would crush your head if you raised both arms at the same time
>>
>>50234218
>>50234245
>those pauldrons
>those hands like literally what the fuck is wrong with them and no it's not just non-human anatomy
>>
>>50234199

Read the books (if you're the DM, read the DMG, too).

Download (or buy) the Starter Set. Run it. Have fun. Embrace the differences between 5e and PF, and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>50234265
Every dwarf is a scottish drunk jew with an axe/hammer and beard fetish.
>>
>>50234265
People tend to play all dwarves (regardless of class or background) as some variant of Gimli from LOTR

The "ale chugging, Scottish accent having, war loving, elf hating, axe wielding lovable oaf of comic relief" archetype. It's stale and a bad representation of a race which can be more than that.
>>
>>50234287
I just play a liquor-loving beard fetishist with an axe/hammer.
>>
>>50234300
But is your character a dwarf?
>>
>>50234259
Yes my players get probably far too emotionally invested in the NPCs...
>>
>>50234287
>>50234298

Oh.

Then I don't fix it! I actually enjoy that, as do my players, for now.

In my setting, dwarves are very tolkien-esque, with a side-order of Terry Pratchett's dwarves, because it amuses me to have dwarves hate erasing words.

I will say, however, that I do have a variant of dwarves from a clan who got kicked out of their mountain dwarf home, and ended up settling in what amounts to Tortuga-but-larger from Pirates of the Caribbean. They're crafty, street-smart thieves and rogues, with dualistic, strange gods. No one has taken me up on playing one of them, though, as of yet.

I admit to being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to fantasy, however, so I may be the exception.
>>
>>50234218
By making all my dwarves their Dwarf Fortress variants.
>>
Hey, anons, I need a medium-sized warehouse map that has a basement. I suck at making maps and I hate it; my biggest failing as a DM.
>>
>>50234259
Every NPC we show some attachment to is immediately killed for cheap drama.

So we learned to hide our true feelings.
>>
>>50234249
Yea Warlocks are awesome. They offer the most character customization for any class. Between Pact Boons and which Pact you choose they have 6 paths you can follow. Then you have invocations.

Pact of the Tome has an invocation to beable to record EVERY ritual spell. I love rituals. Alarm, Detect magic, Identify, Find Familiar. Lots of fun to cast Alarm anytime you enter a dungeon and fuck over the DM if they want to try and have people sneak in behind you. Augury is a great Ritual as well. So good.
>>
>>50234360
Pokemon Gold had a warehouse with a basement
>>
>>50234335
There's nothing wrong with having the majority of your NPCs like that, but for PC's I feel like they should mix it up a little. Just a way to make your character unique and not stereotyped cut n pastes
>>
>>50234249
>banning EB
Why even play Warlock then?
>>
So guys, which do you think would make a better patron, a Balor or a Pit Fiend?
>>
>>50234419
pit fiend erryday
>>
>>50234298
>>50234287
I've played a number of Dwarves over the years.

One was a beardless Fighter/Barb who insisted he was just a short human. He was a teetotaller, had no accent or beard, and would have rather spent time reading books or going to debate club than visiting a feast hall or mining.

Another was a published author and "Combat Archaeologist" Fighter/Bard who researched ancient Dwarven history and culture. He used a sword (because Dwarves invented swords, too), had no accent or beard, and would go to a feast hall so that he could hawk his new book and get into a debate.

In PotA, I played a masked luchador Fighter trying to restore his family's lost honor (without revealing his identity) by finding old claims of nobility from ruined Dwarven kingdoms and/or exonerating evidence. He mostly threw enemies into things, had a beard but no accent, and would go to a feast hall so he could pantomime past glorious bouts of his in true wrestling/boxing hypeman fashion (THE SKIRMISH IN TURMISH; RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE VI AND XIII; BOUT AT THE REDOUBT). Turns out he is a potential claimant to the lost kingdom of Besilmar.

In SKT, I currently play the Dwarf+Hammer version of an Eternal Blade (an elf PrC that talks to ghosts living in its swords) and member of a secret brotherhood of warrior-philosophers and mystics seeking to understand the mysteries of matter and force (energy). He has a beard, no accent, and would rather hole up in the woods or the mountains and work on his manifesto; his strategy of winning a debate is to speak cryptic nonsense and slap the other side upside the head and hope they are suddenly zen-enlightened by the illogic of it all.

they have all had incredibly large backpacks full of random junk which is used to macgyver the solution to all problems though the luchador used the bodies of enemies and furniture in place of random junk
>>
>>50234385
That's up to them, of course; there's nothing wrong with having some peoples breaking the mold. The dwarves of my world tend to fall into three categories, however; the aforementioned dwarven street-pirates, and two different types of mountain dwarves, one of which despises humans with a passion and one of which likes--or at least tolerates--them because it was humans that saved them from starvation during a particularly harsh famine in the region.

The hatred-filled dwarves are not evil, however, they just believe that humans are violent, barely-evolved monkeys that kill everything that is not them. It stems from a time when a human kingdom attacked and destroyed two dwarven citadels for literally no reason (there is a reason, but the PCs don't know it).

Hill dwarves have always liked humans, and it as from hill dwarves that humans learned how to make iron.
>>
>>50234419
I think they're too weak to be patrons desu, unless it's capped at some lowish level.
>>
>>50234465
Well then who would make a good fiendish patron? I want to stay away from one of the Princes of the Nine Hells because why would they waste their time giving power to some random level 1 Warlock, and the same is true for Demon Princes.

I'm playing a Neutral Ebil character, so either a Demon or a Devil will work, but I can't decide which one would be cooler in the fluff department.
>>
>>50234419
Asmodeus himself, directly or through a lesser devil serving as a salesman, liaison and comissioner. All other options are literally who-tier
>>
>>50234502
They get your immortal soul when you die, silly! And souls don't have levels!
>>
>>50234465
>>50234502
They are fine. They are even used as an example in the PHB
>>
>>50234419
>>50234502
>>50234524
Or you can have a Devil Comes Down to Georgia type scenario and take your abilities from your patron by force of body, will, or wit.
>>
>>50234542
I feel like that will eventually be my character's goal, to ascend (descend?) into the Abyss or Nine Hells and become a powerful Devil or Demon in their own right.
>>
>>50234502
I'd have a Prince or Archdevil as actual Patron but use the Balor/Pit Fiend as sort of communicator and middle management, since as you said the higher up have better things to do.

>>50234536
>that are especially mighty
My points stands. The player would have to leave it explicit that it isn't no average balor/pit fiend
>>
>>50234554
That's the spirit. Find your patron, bash his face in and take his place.
>>
File: IlluskanFR.jpg (66KB, 736x920px) Image search: [Google]
IlluskanFR.jpg
66KB, 736x920px
I'm working on a Calishite Fire Genasi character concept, need some help coming up with character motivations. He's an Eldritch Knight and a minor noble. Lawful Evil, really into tradition and racial purity of the Genasi people of Calimshan.

But I'm having trouble tying him in to the campaign's story. I'm not sure why someone like that would leave Calimshan and go to Waterdeep, or join an adventuring party. What's in it for him? Maybe it's as simple as seeking wealth or power, but seems a little flimsy.
>>
What happens if your party kills your patron?
>>
>>50234568
You're powerful enough to not need a patron
>>
>>50234560
Wouldn't an Arcanaloth make more sense as intermediary since they are literally fiendish lawyers?
>>
>>50234568
A bad GM would say that you lose your abilities. A good GM would say that you take his place and his powers. And his duties, if any.
>>
>>50234568
Here's the better scenario:

>Fight your way to the location of your patron
>Use your 9th Level Spell Slot on Imprisonment
>Use the Shrinking Gemstone option
>Imprison your patron in a gemstone
>Set the gemstone in a ring, amulet, or diadem.
>Parade around, keeping your patron alive as a source of power while maintaining absolute control
>>
>>50234582
This desu
>>
>>50234280

I grabbed the core stuff off the trove, we are playing in a few hours, starting Curse of Strahd apparently. The DM is very excited since apparently it's the best AP he has ever read.

Does 5e have an online SRD like PF has the d20pfsrd site?
>>
>>50234646
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd
That should be it
>>
>>50234566
Maybe you should consider other options. As in, seriously, what the fuck this guy is doing in Waterdeep and why he is not cleansing Calimshan with fire and sword using his power?
>>
>>50234566
Wanderlust
Getting to know the world before assuming his house's dutys
Following the ancient tradition of his family of a coming-of-age journey to try the world, so he can come back home to live the traditional ways with conviction that is it the right thing to do
Searching for allies, deals and magical secrets to advance his position in his homeland
A search for lore regarding the Genasi people
Searching for an ancient artifact stolen from an ancestor

searching for a genasi waifu
>>
>>50234259

My character is a pretty prideful wizard, but he's more or less on the verge of a breakdown because hundred are dying due to a breach between the planes.
>>
>>50234218
>>50234335

>How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

>In my setting, dwarves are very tolkien-esque,

Even Tolkien's dwarves aren't like that.
>>
>>50234419

Both can be fun, it depends what you want.
>>
>50234199
Some common mistake people make...
1) Walking out of the threatening square doesn't provoke OA, walking out of the threatening area does (so you can circle around your opponent)

2) You can break up action (move > attack > move) without retard feat tax.

3) Grapple and Shove is just a skill contest now.

4) There is no "free action", "move action" or "standard action".
>>
>>50234646
>>50234664
5e srd is intentionally left out a lot of detail and options for each classes. The srd only has 1 cleric domain for example.
>>
>>50234776
>1) Walking out of the threatening square doesn't provoke OA, walking out of the threatening area does (so you can circle around your opponent)

So with a 40ft move speed I can shuffle right around my opponent, end upin the same square I started and he won't be able to attack me?
>>
>>50234465
> Not overpower your patron and turn him into a cock lusting demon battery.

Sorry. /pfg/ rub off on me.
>>
>>50234568
Then you probably were the patron if your party is powerful enough to take them down, or the patron was basically killing themselves in order to offer power to you.

That's like taking the sword from the "take this!" old man and stabbing him.

Though, I suppose it makes sense if you have great potential yourself, and your warlock pack just enables you to use your potential and since you're so reliant on it while you've had the power you've never taught yourself to use the power without your patron's help.

You'd likely turn into a sorcerer upon devouring the patron's power.
>>
>>50234804
You only need 20 feet of movement for that, actually. You can pass Medium-sized creatures on diagonal moves. And correct, there would be no attack of opportunity.
>>
>>50234798

So... how do you guys deal without one?
>>
>>50234804
yes
>>
>>50234852
We own or steal the books or pdfs, you shitlord. It's not hard.
>>
>>50234866
copy =/= theft
>>
>>50234697
These are all great. I'll probably go with some form of searching for allies and magical secrets. And searching for a pure blood qt wife. Maybe his family's lost some of its power and wealth, and he needs the help of outsiders to reclaim his position.

>>50234674
If only I could convince my GM to take a hard left into a campaign about cleansing the homeland.
>>
>>50234875
I don't want to get into that argument. I use the world "steal" because it makes me feel like a badass smooth criminal.
>>
>>50234851
>You can pass Medium-sized creatures on diagonal moves.

Even if they're hostile? Because you can't do that to walls or statues
>>
>>50234896
Just say that you're pirating it, as that's the correct term.
And pirates > smooth criminals.
>>
>>50234915
It's a matter of taste, really.
>>
>>50234866

Yea but not having a nice easily searchable database to browse through all of the game information? That seems terrible. I know 3.5 had a pretty limited SRD too, but I think PF really spoiled me with d20pfsrd.
>>
>>50234566
Maybe if the DM works with you there could be some ties that they believe there to be a dormant evil there that needs to be stopped before it spreads. Say, they could be acting as something of a prophet or had nightmares and they're there to resolve it before things get bad for their homeland.

Wanderlust isn't a very good option for the character, I think.
>>
>>50234963
>he needs a database

Real roleplayers know all the rules by heart.
>>
>>50234911
The rule only specifies terrain features (walls, large trees, etc.), not creatures. The bit about the DMG mentioned later also does not mention anything about creatures blocking movement this way.
>>
So im planning on running a Space Fantasy game that's essentially if you mixed Spelljammer with Kill Six Billion Demons and Warhammer 40k.

Like most Space Opera, Humans will be the more dominant species in the universe, with other races being in smaller numbers. How can I get around the small number of PC choices? I figured Volo's can certainly help with this.

Also Firearms, I want to use them, but the rules in the DMG are so damn vague, plus I also don't want them to be blatantly modern in design. Something closer to Mass Effect than modern era. Unless that's just total shit and I should just go with Renaissance weapons, but there's just so few and they don't encapsulate the space-y feel.
>>
>>50234992

It isn't just about the rules though, it includes everything.
>>
>>50234992
Real roleplayers don't even need rules
>>
File: corners.png (84KB, 338x423px) Image search: [Google]
corners.png
84KB, 338x423px
>>50234994
>>50234911
Forgot my image.

So yeah, cut through enemy squares all you like. It's important to note that a Medium-sized creature isn't a 5 foot cube, either, so plenty of room to walk past them. There's just no walking straight through them to an opposite tile because they're going to have a lot easier time blocking you that way than if you just cut a corner on them. You could put four Medium creatures in the same square, they just need five feet to fight in combat.
>>
>>50234963
>>50234852
I kinda use both. check the class main class chassis on SRD and only remembering the extra stuff your get from archetype / domain.
>>
>>50234298
If you want to be different from that, why the fuck would you want to play a dwarf?
>>
File: cat warlock.jpg (146KB, 1024x1248px) Image search: [Google]
cat warlock.jpg
146KB, 1024x1248px
I'm making a campaign with heavy bookkeeping, does someone have a list with all the materials needed for casting spells? from a cricket to a 10,000 gp gem, I kinda want to make them somewhat easier to keep track of.
>>
>>50235058
darkvision, best stats, and best NPCs to be instant bros with

seriously every time my campaign meets a dwarf they are the raddest dudes and we help each other out immensely
>>
>>50234973
Yeah, ideally I want to give my DM something to work with, a powerful character motivation or purpose that can be worked towards. So maybe something a little more like this would be good.
>>
>>50234218
>How do you break the "Gimli Effect" for dwarves?

They're maggot people that fed on the flesh of giants given sentience by gods. They still maintain disgusting habits and the great majority of them are quite ugly and hairy
>>
>>50235086
I implore you to reconsider.

Arcane foci were introduced for a reason. If you make your players track worthless material components when they don't want it, it's going to be a shitfest.
>>
>>50235090
Dwarves tend to be friendly alcoholics precisely because they're associated with a stereotype. If they had the full range of human personalities, then the vast majority of them would be cunts, just like humans.
>>
Dwarves are communist
>>
>>50235124
Indeed, it is best to only track those materials that are directly consumed by the spell.
>>
So what's the difference between a Cleric of Asmodeus and a Fiend Warlock who makes a pact with him? How about a Light Domain Cleric and a Light Warlock?

Would it be weird to replace Clerics in my setting with Warlocks, mechanically?
>>
>>50235129
We don't meet them in bars, we meet them out in the world doing things. We get along because they're upright Lawful Good-types who think the bad guys are as much a bunch of assholes as we do and they're seldom looking out for their own personal interests to the detriment of others, even though they are also stereotyped as "greedy" and more interested in the safety of their clanhomes.

When a band of orcs are about to attack the village and we ask everyone in the town square for aid, it's the Dwarven traveller who steps up more often than not.

If we bust into a goblin or giant den to free all the prisoners, it's the Dwarf who's somehow risen to community leader more often than not.

When two NPCs are trying to get the group's help but one of them is lying, the Dwarf is the truthful one.

If a bunch of Lord's Alliance guys from Waterdeep bust into a place and want to do something the party thinks is a bad idea, and a bunch of Lord's Alliance guys from Mithral Hall show up right after them wanting to do the same shit, it's the Mithral Hall Dwarves we have the easier time convincing to not be a bunch of dumbos.
>>
>>50235170
Even those that are consumed are a pain to track. That's why they are considered worthless and are represented by a component pouch.

The only ones that _require_ tracking are those with a price listed.
>>
>>50235185
Cleric is a divine caster who is a direct agent of the object of his worship.

Warlock is a fuck who bargained for power or stole it or whatever for his own (often nefarious) goals.
>>
>>50235170
>>50235124
>wizards want reality-bending, world-destroying arcane power
>they can't handle tallying up their bat guano
>fighters are supposed to track their javelin usage and breakage judiciously
>the DM is keeping track of every dagger the rogue throws
>rangers have to roll survival and nature to scrounge up enough food for the group
>the wizard's component pouch is still full of bat guano, lightning-struck tree bark, and dragonscales despite our having spent the past four months in a goddamn desert
>>
>>50235194
Isn't anything that a spell consumes listed with a specific value anyway?
>>
>>50235224
Fortunately arcane focus is an alternative to a component pouch

I point my staff/wand/orb at them and BOOM
>>
>>50234259
My character takes all of his comrades' deaths seriously. An npc helping us got his legs flattened by a rolling boulder and I did the whole mercy killing with the DM while the rest of the party continued.
>>
File: 1467218151106.jpg (1MB, 883x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1467218151106.jpg
1MB, 883x1100px
>>50235124
>>50235170
I understand the fear of that, but in my campaign there is a fight every other session or more, and is a really hard fight, so they only prepare before each one of them.

As fights are so far in between having to manage resources is part of what makes the fight exiting.
>>
File: Map - Hope's Spring Warehouse.jpg (540KB, 1688x1313px) Image search: [Google]
Map - Hope's Spring Warehouse.jpg
540KB, 1688x1313px
>>50234360
Can't help with the basement, but I do have a warehouse.

>>50234335
>>50234385
Yeah, I can definitely feel you on that. In the Western campaign setting, dwarves are mostly bit players that the party occasionally stumbles upon if out in the Great Stony Mountains where they maintain a number of mines and fledgling dwarfholds. I actually don't think my players have ever encountered more than two or three mountain dwarves across three campaigns, but they also tend to be the most insular and very, very few have migrated to the West.

Primarily, they encounter hill dwarves who have always had the role of intermediaries between their deep-dwelling cousins and the humans above ground. Far more pragmatic than dogmatic. They tend to get the majority of the Scotch-Irish whiskey-distilling mountain men traits while their mountain dwarf cousins probably inherited most of the Jewish stereotypes, living in an incredibly regimented and codified society based upon a religion of ancestor worship that traces lineages back to the war against the Titans who created them as slaves. Maintaining the vaults they sealed the Titans away in is also part of the reason mountain dwarves as a whole have very little interest in anywhere else.
>>
>>50235185
Clerics are powered by their convictions in the faith. Warlocks are taught magical secrets by the patron. It's a much more direct relationship.
>>
>>50235124
>>50235170
>>50235194
>>50235224
>>50235237
One way to deal with this is to get rid of worthless components completely and replace them with foci.

>>50235237
There are some costly components that act as a focus and are not consumed.
>>
so guys if you remember I mention a few thread back about making a bard-lock

so I recently started the game at lv 3 so I have a lv 1bard-2lock (fey) with actor feat/disguise self invocation to mess around with people. I found out that I was the party's only full spellcaster and mouth-piece.

So I am not sure if I should go lore bard for spells like fireball etc or the glamour bard for full fabulousness and charming the shit out of people

the party is a monk/fighter/ranger/pally/bard-lock
>>
>>50235224
This.
>>
>>50235281
the main quest of the game is to discover various tribes on a remote island and start some diplomatic relationship with them
>>
>>50235281
>fireball

You're playing the game wrong
>>
>>50235185

>So what's the difference between a Cleric of Asmodeus and a Fiend Warlock who makes a pact with him?

One is granted power by their faith in Asmodeus, the other made a pact for power

>How about a Light Domain Cleric and a Light Warlock?

More or less the same. One get power by believing the concept, the other made a pact with something powered by the concept.

>Would it be weird to replace Clerics in my setting with Warlocks, mechanically?

Mechanically, they don't fit the same place
>>
>>50235297
explain??
>>
>>50235297
there is no wrong way to play, if you are having fun (and it isnt annoying other players) you are doing it right
>>
>>50235315
objectively sub-optimal game choice, done only by people who enjoy pissing off the other players by their seriously limited utility and then complaining about it
>>
How do you effectively build a monk? Is multiclassing worth it at all?
>>
Would a gnoll Fang of Yeenoghu plus 2-4 gnolls be too much for 4 4th level PCs?

I'm new to this.
>>
>>50235224
As part of a gentleman's agreement, I expect my players to keep track of their ammo, ingredients, carry weight/encumbrance, etc. I'll only check if it seems that they're not keeping track of it. I am graced with a bunch of old-school grogs, though, so they keep track of literally everything, including a faggot of 10-foot poles (I wish I were joking; its actually written in the party's wagon's load).
>>
>>50235332
Not really. Monks pretty much function well as they are (save for 4-elements, but that's neither here nor there).
>>
>>50234852
>>50234963
There's very little content at all published by WizKids, so there really isn't much to cope with. 5E very much isn't PF and 3.5 or 4E in terms of content, whether in the sprawl of shit over dozens of books for the former or publishing clearly labeled books that are predominantly crunch like the latter.

You got the PHB, you've got a couple of races in the DMG and EE, you got a handful of archetypes in SCAG, and you've got a pile of shitty half-baked options in UA. Likewise, rules boat has vastly simplified, and there's really not much more that you need to know now other than 5-10-15-20-25-30+5+(Dis)advantage. Or if you really need, just a cribsheet.
>>
>>50235346
>tfw I'm the fucker who carries a specific number of pitons, ten foot poles, the tent, several pounds of various spices and other powdered substance, all the water and rations, etc.
>>
What is the absolute earliest a party of 4 can take down an adult dragon?

This is assuming I give them certain advantages like warning, etc.
>>
>>50235411
Level 10
>>
>Yuan-ti Pureblood GOO-lock spy with Mask of Many Faces

Anyone have experience with running a Warlock infiltrator/spy?
>>
>>50235346
That is pretty much the normal way of playing, anything other than that and it's homebrewing the system. Nothing wrong with it, but saying "I'm too lazy to force my players to play by the rules but they do it anyway" is not something to be proud of.
>>
>>50235328
well what you consider a better choice of spells for lore bard to pick up? (i havent played a bard before)
>>
>>50235427
9/10 players are too lazy to do that kind of shit. Hell, most of them keep forgetting to refresh their spell slots and expect me to do it for them.
Maybe I'm just too nice, or my players are just too lazy.
>>
>>50235368

I see. This little cheat sheet looks really handy, thanks.
>>
>>50235442
Mine forget to heal after long rests...
>>
>>50235442
Both really. When I run adventures for new players I don't expect them to keep track of anything other than armor and weapons, ignoring ammunition, weight, normal objects, components, even tools. I just assume they have it.

But if the campaign is serious, and people are constantly under a death thread, people have to play by the rules.
>>
>>50235442
>9/10 players are too lazy to do that kind of shit.
Statistically my guess is this is correct, but more importantly it isn't inescapable
>most of them keep forgetting to refresh their spell slots and expect me to do it for them.
I don't doubt it
>Maybe I'm just too nice
If we establish a very broad definition of "nice" which is satisfied in simply being an enabler, then absolutely.
> my players are just too lazy.
They're not the only ones who are lazy.
>>
>>50235339

One Fang of Yeenoghu is already a deadly challenge for 4 fourth level PCs.

with 2-4 additional gnolls, it would be waaaaaaaayyyyy to much.

A creature's CR means "is a challenge for 4 PCs of X level"
>>
>>50235532
Deadly+ is alright for a party as long as they are fresh from a long rest and aren't expected to have any more normal+ combats for that day.
>>
>>50235332
Barbarian can be fun, as can Rogue for Expertise in Athletics for grappling cheese.

>>50235010
>Races
Depending on how crazy you want to go, you can easily have people play as human but use other stats. The cyborg that's more machine than man could be a Goliath with some tweaks to the ribbons, while the gene-aug'd super soldier could be a Half-Orc whose darkvision, enhanced combat abilities, and ability to shrug off death come from geneware.

>Firearms
I run a campaign set in a Fantasy Western, and for me, the simplest fix was simply to copy-paste the regular ranged weapon stats with a twist to the description. A hand crossbow becomes a derringer, a light crossbow begins a carbine, a longbow becomes a rifle. From there, you get the fun of designing your own extras and how you want to handle ammo. Loading traditionally keeps crossbows and such relatively tame, but you can easily add on a special quality for tracking ammo, removing the Loading quality so long as the magazine's full. It's all up to you from that point on.

A Martial weapon shotgun that deals 1d10 damage with a longer range when firing slugs and targets a 10-foot cube when firing shot.

A Martial weapon rotary cannon that deals 2d6 damage with 4 ammo points that can be refilled through a full-action or a full minute or whatever you want to set it at. Shooting regularly doesn't cost anything, but the wielder can use Special Attacks, spending 1 ammo point to instead attack a 15-foot cone, 2 ammo points to attack with advantage or 4 ammo points to before attacking to ignore cover, boost the damage to 4d6 and reroll any damage die that lands on a 1 or 2.
>>
Is casting literally only restricted by armor profiency? So a wizard needs 1 level in fighter to cast fireball in Full Plate?
>>
>>50235478
Short rests, you mean? Because long rests are auto-heal.
>>
>>50235537
Eh, it would probably be the penultimate or last fight of the day. Would end up being overkill.

>>50235532
Do you reckon a 5th level party would handle it well? I can say that one of my PCs is a wizard, not sure about the rest.

I'm the sudden DM from the last thread.
>>
>>50235559
It's an auto-heal, but they forget to write it down. Sometimes despite me saying "You get a long rest so all of your spell slots are back, your health is restored, etc"
>>
>>50235586
A single creature is always much easier than its CR would indicate, because the players simply beat it by action superiority. Exceptions can be made if it has a bunch of Legendary/Lair actions.
>>
>>50235558
Yes, assuming he takes his first level in fighter. The only way to multiclass into heavy armor proficiency is cleric, which is a better option for casters anyway.

Bear in mind that most dedicated wizards aren't going to do either of these, since setting spell progression behind by even one level is a major tradeoff.
>>
>>50235558
He also needs 15 strength
>>
>>50235558
Plus the strength to use the armor without Disadvantage, but bounded accuracy makes this matter a whole lot less than in older editions.
>>
>>50234852
I can remember pretty much everything aside from unusual things in the DMG, a few odd UAs, a good load bunch of level 3 to 8 spells,the MM and perhaps a few of the normal ranger and druid features off by heart.

Who needs books, anyway?
>>
Official UA release: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/bard-colleges

Be sure to fill out the survey on each week's UA, you fucks. Have your voice be heard.
>>
>>50235601
>a bunch of Legendary/Lair actions.

God man I hate that shit

Our DM always goes like "UHM WELL IN ITS FIRST TURN THE DRAGON ATTACKS [character who can deal with the dragon better] 5 TIMES AND THEN THE POISONOUS LAIR CEILING FALLS ON HIM/HER LOL"
>>
>>50235224
>>50235086
Our GM handles spellcasting materials as such.

A Caster will have 3 days worth of spellcasting components upon his person, and an additional 7 days worth among his supplies/wagon to fit with the Tenday week. When preparing spells unless they were especially reserved with their spellcasting previously he will subtract a days components as expended.

This means a Caster seperated from his wagon for more than three days will start to have issues, and ultimately won't last more than a week of intense questing before dropping by to a town or city to resupply. They may get lucky and fight an enemy caster or a cache of magical ingredients and reagents that could have appropriate supplies on them to supplement a day or two on the road.
>>
>>50235537

It's not Deadly+, it's over twice the CR for a 4th level group.

>>50235586

>Do you reckon a 5th level party would handle it well?

It would be better for 5th level.

>>50235601

It's more that fighting groups are harder that what you can expect.
>>
TG, I need your advice.

So, our DnD group is all new, DM players all of us. We decided to start Curse of Strahd. During Death House, we lost two characters. Now, here is where I need your advice. After many discussions with the DM, we can't figure out how to bring the replacements in. Barovia is a souless place filled with Barovians (aka all humans.) That being said, it would be rather odd to walk in to the tavern and find a drow rogue chilling in the corner, and a goliath cleric at the bar. It would thematically not fit. So how would you guys in this situation bring these new characters into the party.
>>
>>50235695
And 12 Half-Ogres are supposed to stomp all over a 5 lv6 party, yet they got stomped instead. Hell, we didn't even have all our resources.

Plant Growth is OP as fuck.
>>
>>50235660
Well, then your DM is using Legendary actions incorrectly.
>Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature’s turn.
It's meant to break up the action economy in a more fluid way, allowing the enemy to act in the midst of the initiative order rather than all at once.
>>
>>50235607
>>50235615
You can use heavy armour without strength without disadvantage. As far as I remember, you only lose 10ft movement for wearing heavy armour when you aren't supposed to be able to otherwise.

Heavy armour is only +1 over medium or light armour with the appropriate dex, though.
Shields are +2, and a wizard can certainly utilitize those.
Medium armour is likely +3 for a wizard that has only 14 dex. Heavy armour is thus about +4 normally.
>>
File: 1437501026815-0.jpg (1MB, 836x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1437501026815-0.jpg
1MB, 836x1100px
>>50235688
thanks anon, that's a nice solution, but I want a more in dept resource managing. As no one seem to have a spell component list on the internet I'm doing one with the spells my PCs have.
>>
>>50235538
That's a good idea for Races actually, i'll run that by my group to see if they're cool with that.

As for Firearms, I think that's a bit simplistic and takes the magic out of them. I'm mostly concerned about the cost of these things and if their damage is too high.

I'm thinking if you have proficiency in crossbows you'll be proficient in the use of firearms. Crossbow Expert as a feat can also be taken for Firearms too.
>>
>>50235339
>>50235695
I've put similar groups through similar trials and they've fucked up tactically and the gnolls had the drop on them, and they still came out with minimal issue.
>>
>>50235753
Recommended CRs arefor retarded babby mode groups in 5e. Better to design encounters that make lore-wise sense and then just let your players deal with it.
>>
>>50235708
Tell the players that their racial choices are not in line with the setting and ask them to tweak their concept to something more appropriate. Give them a list of allowed races so the players aren't left guessing whether or not it's okay to play a goblin.
>>
>>50235425
No one has played or played with a Warlock infiltrator/spy? Going for someone that can bluff their way past guards or just sneak in invisibly, as the situation demands.
>>
>>50235793
>anon stop with your autistic shit, we'll just kill and loot them
>>
>>50235752
Hope they bite. And honestly, ranged combat is already a part of the game. Monkeying around with it much more than is very unlikely to end up with a satisfactory result. Plus, it's a sci-fi game, I'm not sure why you are wanting your guns to have much 'magic' to them, as I'm assuming they are going to be commonplace equipment in this world.

If you up the damage to something along the lines of the DMG sci-fi shit, you end up with the strange position where one security guard with a 3d6 laser pistol is basically guaranteed to drop anyone in the party with a lucky shot and where if a +2 Dex mook soldier with a laser rifle hits both of his +4 multiattacks, he's averaging 31 dmg.

Ranged weapons work and exist already, and if you expect them to be commonplace, a reskinning is the best option available.
>>
>>50235836
>sigh, very well. I cast Hold Person, 5th level so that guy, that guy, that guy and that guy are paralyzed. Have fun.
>>
>>50235869
You do realize that's the only thing you would do in such a party?
>>
>>50235411
Level 1 with prep time.
>>
>>50235793
Would be neat for a more Shadowrun-y party that treats their dungeon runs as heists.
>>
>>50235875
And how is that different from a regular Warlock?
>>
>>50235753
>>50235768
Yeah, the game is like REALLY REALLY easy if you follow the guidelines.
The only thing you need to take seriously in my experience is that monsters of CR above party level are potentially very dangerous... before the party reaches level 5 or so.

My party is level 6 now (started at level 3), and they can easily take 2 "deadly" encounters per adventuring day without anyone going down or seriously considering retreat; 3 if they can find time for a short rest.
They still have Bardic Inspirations and misc spell slots left for exploration/social stuff.

More than half of their fights contained enemies above their CR, and some of them (vamp thralls) had gimmicks like immunity to nonmagic weapons before the party had access to any magic items.
>>
>>50235836
Sounds like a problem with your players anon. Though dnd is terrible for attracting good players, so I don't necessarily blame you.
>>
>>50235857
Oh wow, getting shot can kill you! Who would have thought?

There is this little often overlooked thing called armor. Give them armor that gives DR or resistances and you're golden.
>>
>>50235875
>hold person murderhobos
>murder murderhobos like a murderhobo
>continue adventure solo
>get rich without even killing, become leader of the monsters, become the BBEG for next advenure
>>
>>50235915
>other party members get arrested by the Baron's Elite Paladins and they get super pissy because their power fantasy was squashed by realistic outcomes.
>>
>>50235772
So the list of allowed races would literally be humans. Barovia is filled with humans, and monsters. The racial choices aren't the issue. Figuring out how to get the characters there is.
>>
>>50235857
>>50235914
Also, this will force them to use cover a lot more. Like literally everyone involved in firefights does.
>>
>>50235836
That's why you take Chain Pact and the invocation, so you can send your familiar ahead and map the entire area while the party is still hanging out in town. That way they can't pre-empt your nerd shit, and the DM will quit in frustration.
>>
Abjuration or Bladesinger for a tank wizard? Any race allowed for both?
>>
>>50235708

Find them in a Prison. Anything can be in a Prison.
>>
>>50235996
I think finding a Goliath and a Drow in jail together has some implications.
>>
>>50235984
>anon stop with your retarded pet shit
>i'm sick of your jacking off to your fairy or whatever shit you have, it bogs down the game and is overpowered
>fuck you, all familiars are banned

Literally this was in one of the previous threads, a couple of days ago or even yesterday.
>>
>>50235857
I'm thinking of using mostly the Modern Firearms in the DMG, but adjusting the damage type and ammunition for the different kind of weapons. Not as broken then?

The futuristic weapons are quite ridiculous, an Anti-matter rifle is like a siege weapon on it's own.
>>
>>50236020
Sexy implications?
>>
>>50235995
I'd suggest a battleship wizard. All the firepower of an artillery battery with the resilience of a whole tank squadron and then some.
>>
The Bard UA is a bit disappointing after the Barb UA. Based on this and earlier Bard options in previous UA's, I'm not sure WotC knows what to do with the Bard, especially since Lore Bards are just so damn good.
>>
>>50236066
I think you wanted to reply to >>50236060
>>
>>50236110
No, I replied precisely to whom I intended.
>>
>>50235914
>>50235914
Yeah, getting shot can kill you, but people don't normally want to play the victims of real life gun violence but rather sci-fi action stars that dive into combat without having to worry that a CR 1 mook one-shot a level 3 character.

Cover certainly works, but RAW all it does is patch up your AC, and now all of your combats turn into "We hide behind cover and hope our insta-gibs hit the bad guys before theirs hit us." I like the option of using resistances or DR, and I actually used the old UA Armor as DR back in 3.5, but offering up PCs resistance is a helluvah drug. Something like energy shields that offer resistance to ballistic weapons or energy weapons, or the blanket BPS or fire resistance?

>>50236060
That could likely work, but I suspect you're going to want to move past 1-3 even faster than normal. Boosting the dmg of ranged weapons really changes the entire way that you have to approach combat which is not a bad thing, but your players definitely need to know this is less Guardians of the Galaxy and more Aliens in terms of lethality.

>>50236084
Atleast the College of Whispers is somewhat interesting?
>>
>>50236084
It definitely seems like they are just using Bardic Inspiration points as though they were Ki Points.

>This is a resource bards have
>make more features that use said resource

It makes sense from a mechanical standpoint imo, i dunno how "cool" it really is though.
>>
>>50235708

They were brought in the same way the other PCs came here, and are trying to find other outsiders of Barovia
>>
>>50236139
Total cover forbids to target anyone behind it. Any cover gives concealment, which means the ability to use stealth, which means ambushes. So, Perception, Stealth and initiative become the new god stats.

After firearms started to relatively easy pierce armor, most firefights became either ambushes, long range engagements, drawn-out games of cat and mouse or patience contests.
>>
>>50236084
The problem with it is half the level three features in both are just stuff that could be reasonably done with role-playing. Additionally, for some bizarre reason the ten minute cast time features are limited to once per short rest, just because everything has to be limited to once per short rest or long rest this edition I guess.
>>
>>50236139
>>50236139
You think boosting the dmg will really make it unbalanced?

My situation is that i'm likely only going to have two players, so already my encounters need to be weaker on average. Maybe reskinning the existing material is good at the beginning, let them access the weapons from the DMG as they grow in level?
>>
Point buy or random rolls?

My GM wants to use point buy but it seems unfun since I want to make a caster and feel like I have to min-max instead of go for flavour if I get a decent high stat for wisdom.
>>
>>50234218
>>50232421
That's their other video series, right? Haven't seen it yet. But I think I'd want video for that, not just sound.

>>50233102
Depends on what the character's are looking to play: There are no rules for Elven High Mages (either tradition).
I'm less familiar with Netheril, don't know what it lacks.
There are no rules for Mythalcraft
>>
>>50236249
Depends on your goals. Discuss your goals with your DM.
>>
>>50235935
But then why weren't the paladins sent in the first place?
>>
>>50235753
>>50235768

CRs are calculated for groups of four, so having more people vs one monster does make things easy.
>>
>>50236266
What do you mean goals?

He said he's not afraid to kill us or throw challenges at us we'll have to escape from instead of fight. The last DM I had was actively trying to kill us so I really don't like the idea of being a shitty caster without flavour.
>>
File: Undying Warlock.jpg (173KB, 798x468px) Image search: [Google]
Undying Warlock.jpg
173KB, 798x468px
Do gargoyles make good summons for a warlock? I'm trying to build a minionlock focusing on a once per day gargoyle, three ghouls, an imp, and countless zombie servants from finger of death. I know there are better minion classes out there, but warlock seems to be the spookiest.
>>
Is monk a class that you could reasonably have levels in without proper training?

Thinking about rolling a lizardman long death monk but I'm not sure that just having a background of asceticism and biting people can support being kung fu biter.
>>
>>50236305
Point buy encourages balance and uniformity, while rolling encourages variability. Both are valid goals to have in character creation.

Figure out what you want and use the appropriate system.
>>
>>50235708
I've ran Strahd twice so far, remember people come into Barovia, especially adventurers quite often, Strahd has more than once crushed entire parties of heroes so the odd straggler in hiding isn't impossible to imagine, such individuals would naturally be drawn towards the party or likewise, since they share similar goals. Introducing them via Rictavio or the Ravens is also easy to handle.

Re-introductions I've had included a mentally cracked Gnome who was trapped in the forest when his previous adventuring party got caught in the fog and massacred by werewolves, a bounty hunter tracking down one of the other PC's before realising they are trapped in the Barovia now themselves, and a Wizard they found in the clutches of Strahd moments before being killed, a dead rogue and a beheaded knight on the ground, Strahd shrugs and calls "Oh, you thought you were the only so called heroes who had my attention, dont flatter yourselves?" before laughing derisively, dropping the wizard and then leaving.

Another choice, I offered was obviously playing as a Barovian native, Human either standard, varient or a "Vistanti" player race, Var. Human but instead of a feat and skill, they can cast Hex once per short rest and at 5th level Bestow Curse once per long rest.
>>
>>50236305
consider not requiring a stat in order to have flavour, go mechanically represent it with proficiency gained from your background or something
>>
Am I the only one who feels that 5e's combat is not lethal/dangerous enough?

Like, yeah, getting brought to 0hp is more or less easy (especially at low levels). But getting back up is even easier (1 point of healing or a DC 10 medicine check!), with no consequence whatsoever. If you have a healer, then getting to 0HP is absolutely no problem at all. Unless there's a TPK, of course, but TPKs suck for everyone, including the DM who now has to re-think the campaign.

I guess that monsters could coup-de-grace PCs, but it feels like a big dick move. It's a move that is exclusively aimed towards killing the character. It feels different from simpy attacking, in my opinion. What I'm talking about is that reaching 0HP should be scarier. Does anyone use a wound table or lasting injuries?

(By the way, I'm speaking both as a DM and a player here. I'm playing a Half-orc Cleric, and my racial plus my class makes me feel like we are absurdly unkillable in combat, unless we are hopelessly unmatched. Any force we can reasonably fight may cause incapacitations, but it won't cause any deaths)
>>
>>50236318
Someone with enough self discipline can properly train themselves, they don't necessarily need to hail from an established monastery or dojo. A character dedicated to the practice of martial arts can invent their own unique fighting style.
>>
>>50236397
There are a lot of problems with combat this edition. It's pretty boring once you master it. Which takes three sessions, tops.
>>
>>50236397
>I've been coup-de-grace'd 3 times
>Others players haven't had it happen once
I can't help but feel that the DM doesn't like me
>>
>>50236210
>drawn-out games of cat and mouse or patience contests
Which is not what most people thing of when they hear, "Alright, Anon, we're playing a brand new Space Opera campaign!"

>>50236242
Well, consider that swapping a mook's light crossbow or longbow becomes a rifle which doubles the base damage of that attack. Just looking at the CR 1/2 Scout, it is now attacking twice a turn at +4 to hit, dealing 11 damage per shot. And that's not even considering something like the CR 1 Spy whose doing 14 on a Sneak Attack.

Low levels in 5E are always pretty swingy, but when a CR 1/2 mook can drop a level 2 bruiser, combat is going to be very, very different from the standard experience. Especially with only two players, were one lucky turn from a Scout can drop your entire party.

Again, this isn't to say that it's a wrong way to play, but it definitely did not agree with my table and the fantasy that we were going for.
>>
>>50236397
Try this:
Every time someone reaches 0 hp they gain a level of Exhaustion.
When finishing a long rest you regain an amount of Exhaustion levels equal to your CON modifier.
Barbarians in a Frenzied Rage temporarily ignore all effects of Exhaustion.

Can ignore number two if you use regular length long rests.
>>
>>50236397
The only time I've lost a character in 5e was because our DM put us against an impossibly hard enemy (we didn't have any option but to fight) and then I played for character instead of to not die.

I find it nearly impossible for someone to die while playing normally, but increasing the CR of the fights just leads to more bullshit and unfun damage from the enemy.
>>
>>50236457
>When finishing a long rest you regain an amount of Exhaustion levels equal to your CON modifier.
Might want to add a minimum of one to that
>8 con
>You take a long rest
>You feel more tired
>>
>>50236356
I don't have a choice, he wants to enforce point buy

>>50236382
for casters you kind of need your high int or high wisdom.
>>
>>50236295
I am confused by this. The Paladins were sent in the first place. The initial idea was that the party was killing Guards instead of bluffing past them. And by killing civil servants in the Kingdom, the Baron sends his Elite Paladins to exact justice.
>>
>>50236397
Using the Injury chart might help with that.
>>
>>50236512
Then max out your casting stat and determine secondary stat priorities randomly. You started this conversation by asking point buy or random rolls, so I have no idea why you're pretending you don't have a choice now.

Unless you're just trying to bring up a stupidly controversial subject in order to get (you)s. In which case, let me help you:

4e was pretty good and 5e would be better if it had 4es class design and combat mechanics.
>>
>>50236524
Oh, I thought this was parties talking about killing normal monsters.

I'm the one off-track here.
>>
>>50236582
I was asking for peoples opinions on the two systems, numb nuts. Hence the second sentence where I said the GM was picking the system, not us.
>>
>>50235124
In 5e there are VERY few spells which consume worthless material components (protection from good and evil is the only 2nd level or below spell which does) and all worthless material components come with your spell component pouch so if they track worthless spell components it would affect a single digit amount of spells.
>>
>>50236502

I dunno, man, that just sounds like my life. Whenever I take a nap I wake up feeling even worse than when I slept.
>>
>>50236249

It wouldn't be min-maxing
>>
>>50235086
>with heavy bookkeeping
excel spreadsheet simulator
>>
>>50236659
Do you literally die every 6 days?
If so, how do you get better?
>>
>>50236689
>"I have never played any other tabletop" the post
>>
>>50236318
>Is monk a class that you could reasonably have levels in without proper training?

Depends what you mean by "without proper training"

You can fluff how your character got their powers however you want, but monks tends to at least know how to fight.
>>
>>50236502
You're right, I forgot all the RAW retards. Will add that.
>>
>>50236608
And I gave you the opinions of everybody. End of discussion, retard.
>>
>>50236710
>>50236318

That being said, biting people and asceticism is enough for kung fu biter.
>>
>>50236064
Of course, they might be handholding
>>
>>50236685
Isn't min-maxing if you pick a race specifically for its stats to build the class and things like that?
>>
>>50234218
Homebrew changes for the Monk class.

They get Athletics and Acrobatics for free even when someone MCs into monk.
The other skills they can select when starting as a monk are Insight, Perception, Medicine, Nature , History and Arcana.

Hp Die is changed to d10.

Monks add their Wis mod to their AC but only if they are Unarmoured or wearing Light armour.
Their other features that are specified to work only unarmoured are reworded so they can use light armour as well.

They get ''Extra attack 2'' at lvl 11.

And that's about it.
>>
>>50236745
No, that's called "not intentionally sabotaging your party."
>>
>>50236439

It's the same than in any edition.
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (46KB, 618x340px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
46KB, 618x340px
>>50236719
>oh i misread
>guess i'll pretend i didn't and call him a fag
>>
>>50236689
>he doesn't like Accountants & Aberrations
>>
>>50236582

5e class and combat mechanics are good for playing 5e
>>
>>50236745
Min-maxing is when you use point buy or other things to minimize any stat that is "non-essential" to your character in order to maximize investment in "useful" stats. It might result in a glass cannon wizard that has a huge number of spells that are very strong but can't lift a pebble or dodge a frisbee, or a fighter that can lift mountains but not tie his shoes.
It isn't really an issue in 5e, since there's a pretty firm boundary on how low or high you can put things, and nearly all stats have some use eventually, imposed by saving throws and whatnot.
Pic related, although really she'd be from another system where one could technically invest all points in a single ability, and would be either a very poor beginner's attempt at minmaxing or a gimmick build.

Optimizing is just using your resources efficiently, and is totally fine, especially when you remember that it's actually a unique character/person and not just "wood elf monk" or something.
>>
>>50236783
Except 4th. Unless your GM was too lenient and let your players do munchkinny bullshit.
>>
>>50236249

Let the dice decide for you. Make a list of 6 arrays of stats from point buy. Roll a d6 and let that decide for you.

Then to mix it up even more, break up your stats into group of High, Mid, and Low, then decide which stats need to be high, probably 2 of them. Flip a coin for which gets the higher of the 2 in your array. Then follow suit for Mid stats and low stats.

For example
Array 1
>15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8
Array 2
>15, 14, 13, 13, 9, 8
Array 3
>15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
Array 4
>14, 14, 14, 13, 9, 8
Array 5
>14, 13, 13, 13, 11, 10
Array 6
>13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12

I rolled a 3.
Array 3
>15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8

I'll say i am making a Cleric so Wis and Str will probably be highest with Con and Int being second. Dex and Cha are dump stats

Wis is either 15 or 14, Str gets the other
Con is either 13 or 12, Int gets the other
Dex is either 10 or 8, Cha gets the other

Heads, Wis wins
Tails, Int wins
Tails, Cha Wins

Str 14
Dex 8
Con 12
Int 13
Wis 15
Cha 10

I kinda decided what would be what. But it is close-ish to rolling.
Admittedly you kind of have to min-max cause you cant seem to get an 18 naturally when using pointbuy.
>>
>>50236756

That's make them waaaay more powerful for no reasons.
>>
File: 1472922320417.png (324KB, 414x459px) Image search: [Google]
1472922320417.png
324KB, 414x459px
>>50236835
I forgot the pic.
>>
>>50236847

I've never thought 4th combat was less boring than other editions.
>>
>>50236866
Ah yes, a generic smug moeblob chinese cartoon character without a filename. How fucking illustrative, weaboo-sama.
>>
>>50236745
Races have stats because that generalizes them for you.

For example, a half-orc or dragonborn will rarely be a wizard.
There's nothing stopping somebody from playing a wizard, but even for players they'll be rare as there isn't a lot of benefit to doing so, even if you can be perfectly fine as a half-orc wizard.

It's only natural a race capitalizes on what they're good at.
>>
>>50236875
Were you playing it online, by chance? Despite what most people meme about it being video gamey, it definitely works best on a table with friends so that you can really get the most out of the interplay of different classes working in tandem.
>>
>>50236855
>roll 6
>explosively vomit everywhere as you generate a character that's not good at anything and is trumped by all the people who're good at something specific but is also not bad at anything and thus has nothing special about them whatsoever.
>>
File: 729[1].gif (227KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
729[1].gif
227KB, 600x600px
>>50236885
Forgot my image.
>>
>>50236856
It's 2 skills they have to get anyway and one skill to pick when they aren't MC-ing.

a d10 Hp die on a class that doesn't focus on raising Con.

And extra attack giving them a whooping extra 8 damage on average at level 11 which is hardly a big change and only puts them on pair with other martials at those levels.

Acess to light armour means they can focus on raising their Wis instead when they want to and really to add some flavour.
>>
File: 1475609878452.jpg (103KB, 592x739px) Image search: [Google]
1475609878452.jpg
103KB, 592x739px
>>50236885
There's been, like, 2 or 3 /tg/ related animes worth watching in the past year. It's not my fault you come to talk about things on a Taiwanese Puppet Show website without watching them.
>>
>>50236835
>nearly all stats have some use eventually

I'd say otherwise.

Dex, con and wis will always end up being useful as these are the important saves and also cover other things of importance such as AC, HP, perception, stealth etc.

Str, int and cha are only really important if nobody else on your team has it or if your class needs it. Otherwise, there's very little benefit to it other than flavour. Their saves are few and far between. You get a +1 to arcana checks because you put an extra point in intellect? Great! Now, enjoy the wizard still being better than you and your +1 to a 1d20 roll, increasing your average from 10.5 to 11.5.
>>
>>50236911

No, I've played it with people around a table.

And it kinda felt like just ability-spamming in group like in a MMO, yeah.
>>
>>50236875
So you've never had a character that did stuff like use forced movement on an enemy to sandwich them between your fighter and rogue, so that they're flanked but can't move out of the way?

You've never had someone grab and drag an Elite enemy to the outskirts of a battle, then left them there so that your Avenger could rush in and duel them 1-on-1 while the rest of the party dealt with a multi-stage boss?

You've never done an elaborate setup where a barbarian has to smash through a wall so they can set up line of sight to get guaranteed critical hit from your cleric on a reaction/interrupt attack?

Because that level of teamwork and setup happens constantly in 4e, and only occasionally in other versions of D&D.
>>
File: 1478282077032.jpg (49KB, 550x535px) Image search: [Google]
1478282077032.jpg
49KB, 550x535px
>Player: "I have access to every modern weapon except automatic rifles"
>>
>>50236999
Man, all my group did in 4E was set up fucking wombo-combos on everything. Our DM even houseruled Pokemon logic (is the enemy clearly influenced by Fire somehow? then it's weak to Cold damage, fuck what the sheet says) and implemented area hazards and combo-able effects outside of what a strict reading of the power cards would say (eg., here's an ability that shoots a lot of ice everywhere; that enemy got hit by a fire attack, so all the ice melted and he / the area is drenched; now that soaking-wet enemy has been struck by lightning, so he's going to take bonus damage).

It was the funnest shit, but it did take a while. That was fine, though, because a lot of the time was spent trying to set up cool things and working around a punishing difficulty, not just rolling more dice and micromanaging movement.
>>
>>50236999
>So you've never had a character that did stuff like use forced movement on an enemy to sandwich them between your fighter and rogue, so that they're flanked but can't move out of the way?
>You've never had someone grab and drag an Elite enemy to the outskirts of a battle, then left them there so that your Avenger could rush in and duel them 1-on-1 while the rest of the party dealt with a multi-stage boss?
>You've never done an elaborate setup where a barbarian has to smash through a wall so they can set up line of sight to get guaranteed critical hit from your cleric on a reaction/interrupt attack?

Nope. Some special circumstances/teamwork happened, but not more than in any other edition.

>Because that level of teamwork and setup happens constantly in 4e, and only occasionally in other versions of D&D.

I disagree. It seems more like you had a DM(s) who was good at creating complex encounters you enjoyed than something based on the game itself.
>>
>>50237034
>DM: no
>>
>>50236970
I had an idea of how to make Int somewhat more appealing, and that was to make it so that for every 3 points of Int above 10 you had, you could get a Tool proficiency.

Tool proficiencies are more minor, so this won't overpower Wizards, but it'll still be nice to have. 13 isn't a difficult investment to make, and can net you some neat stuff.
>>
>>50237034

It's ok, he's not talking about his character, he's just threatening you
>>
>>50237034
Enact gun control. The government views that swords are sufficient for personal and property defense, and safeguarding against foreign and domestic tyranny can be handled by their official militia and a complex system of checks and balance that do not involve total armament of the civilian populace.

also mandatory background checks on ammunition purchases
>>
>>50236946

>animes
>s
>>
>>50237083
>The ogre takes a swing at Geofforic, and... crits for... 32 damage, ouch.
>Ted, have I mentioned that I just acquired a new P-90? It's actually in my trunk right now.
>O-oh.. wait.. the ogre didn't have enough move speed to get there, nevermind. He, uh, throws a rock at Dorgan...
>>
>>50237116
>he doesn't understand meme
>>
>>50236925
I just picked that one cause it wasn't like the others. There's a thread on reddit that lists every possible point buy array.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2epkdi/5e_here_is_a_complete_list_of_valid_ability_score/

So if you really wanted you could count them all and then just do a random number between 0 and how many arrays there are.

Additionally, that can be part of your character.
Pick the Folk Hero background to make him seem like the Above Average Peasant. Interesting/Fun characters are not based on High stats, they are based on interesting choices.

Also with a +1 in everything, pick a bard and half elf. Get 7 skill proficiencies and the rest get a +1 at level 2. So you are a skill monkey. Your versatility leads your character to pursue more knowledge so you multiclass into Knowledge Domain Cleric. And maybe to compensate for your lack of Spellcasting or Physical ability you get desperate and fight dirty with sneak attacks and such. Take a few levels in rogue. Maybe you're level 6 at this point.

LoreBard3/KnowledgeCleric2/Rogue1

You now have Expertise in 4 skills, proficient with 3 from Bard, 3 more from Lore College, 2 from Background, 2 from Half Elf, 1 from Multiclassing Rogue, and 2 from Knowledge Cleric.

So Proficient with 13 out of 18 Skills. 4 of those have double Proficiency. You can Channel Divinity to gain prof with any kind of tool once per short/long rest for 10 minutes. Then every other Skill has +1 to it.

Could be fun.
>>
>>50235411
Our party once fought 4 kobolds, 8 cultists and Rezmir all at once while taking ranged attacks from 2 ogres, a stone giant and 2 mages. Once we killed most of the chaff, the ogres and Rezmir, the half of the party was immediately hit with an ice-breath as an Adult White Dragon arrived, mounted by Talis the White. We still won, 4 level 7 characters, a Fighter, a Cleric, a Bard and a Sorcerer.

Rezmir was dropped in one round by our hasted Battlemaster going nova, the Mages were counterspelled nearly every turn and only sucessfully cast one spell between them. Once the dragon arrived, the Mages and Stone-giant fled. Half the party was dropped by the breath weapon, but Mass-healing word brought everyone back up. Sorcerer dropped a Twinned-Polymorph and two giant apes turned the dragon and its rider into grey paste. Polymorph is incredibly overpowered.

If you give them early warning and potions of X-resist they would be able to take it around level 6-8 assuming they are fully rested, don't expect any more combats for the day and can go all out. The biggest threat is the Breath attack, that can drop them even if they pass the saving throw.

Weakest party I've ever seen slay an adult dragon was level 5, the Druid summoned 2 giant spiders and turned into one themselves, one hitting with a web-attack and then using his readied action to try and re-web the dragon if it managed to escape. He managed to keep it restrained for the entire fight giving his party advantage and putting the dragon at disadvantage for pretty much all attacks.
>>
Anyone bought SKT on roll20?
Was it worth the cost?
>>
>>50236875
Maybe rock paper scissors is more your speed?
>>
>>50236315
>Countless finger of deaths.
So what you carefully micromange the ONE zombie you get a day?
>>
Alright I have a retarded goddamn question for you guys.

One of my friends is in a group that has a ridiculous DM who has made an awful ruling.

One of the players decided to carve their eyes out and they argue they don't need eyes to see because they have darkvision, because, RAW, darkvision allows you to see in the dark. So, they argue they can only see in the dark and not in light.

How do I debunk this nonsense?
>>
>>50237061
I dunno, cuz I had the same experience and that was with three different DMs, and two of those had been running the same tired 3.5 combat for years previously, and one of those two runs some of the driest 5E combat you've ever seen.
>>
>>50237236

Darkvision doesn't work when you're blinded and having no eyes inflicts a permanent blinded status on you.
>>
>>50237236
You cannot debunk retards of that magnitude, you can only have them put down.
>>
File: gasd.png (81KB, 359x99px) Image search: [Google]
gasd.png
81KB, 359x99px
>>50237236
Darkvision does not make you immune to the Blinded condition. Tell him to read the fucking book.
>>
File: 5e Chanson de Roland.png (164KB, 1366x1307px) Image search: [Google]
5e Chanson de Roland.png
164KB, 1366x1307px
I had calculated that at the start of 5e.

What are the current ways to make a Fighter destroy the most people?
>>
>>50237236
100mg potassium intravenously
>>
>>50236979
Ah, the "simple and quick formating for skills and abilities are mmo/bad" mindset.
>>
>>50237236
>One of the players decided to carve their eyes out and they argue they don't need eyes

>Not one of the PCs

>players

WELL LAD
>>
>>50237287

It wasn't the formating, it was the way it played out.
>>
>>50237178
Thoroughly worth it. All my players seem to be having a blast and it runs pretty much out of the box. All of the information is cross referenced so if you see the name of a place you can click it and it opens up the information for that place. Much easier than scrolling through the book.
>>
>>50237259

Maybe those DMs aren't inspired by/don't like the 3.5 or 5e combat systems and didn't put as much effort for the encounters as for 4th.

Honestly, it sounds like your group would rather play 4th than to bother playing 5e.
>>
>>50237352
Can you import the premade assets into an existing campaign?
>>
File: DGLogo-DG.com_.png (3KB, 155x178px) Image search: [Google]
DGLogo-DG.com_.png
3KB, 155x178px
>>50234605
You excited about that new dead gentlemen productions series? Cause you sound like a fan.
>>
>>50237344
In that case, I'd say your DM was the one responsible for running MMO AI tier enemies.
>>
>>50237267
Fighter2/Wizard18 Multiclass, Simuli-Wish Combo for 10,000+ clones of yourself, spread yourselves evenly over the battlefield, fill the gaps with commoners including Z-levels, and then each of you cast circle of death. Should get easily 10,000+ kills per clone assuming a 120ft radial sphere. So like what, 100 million kills for 24hrs preptime.
>>
>>50237080
Nah, extra languages/proficiencies equal to Int mod is perfect
>>
>>50237352
How are the maps? My biggest concern with the Phandelver is that A) half the maps were missing on the justification of "Lel, why do you need a map of a empty street for an outside-the-tavern brawl, just use a blank page." or just simply not having a map for them for some reason ala Wyvern-Tor. And B) Most unforgivable, they did not scale up the 1sq is 10ft maps at all so the entire place is cramped and clogged up because miniatures are taking up 4 times the space they should be because the map is tiny.
>>
>>50237422
Yes, you can do everything you can do with a normal roll20 game. I added several maps for random encounters, a few handouts and tokens for the players.

You have to have a pro subscription to roll20 for the lighting to work on the maps mind you.
>>
>>50237061
100% of the examples I mentioned are possible literally only through player characters interacting with any monsters in any location with any terrain whatsoever.

The only one of those that's not possible in an empty white room using only class features is the "smash through a wall" one, and that uses a barbarian PC specific skillset (i think it's a class feature or feat?); it just needs any piece of remotely breakable terrain for him to break through. Y'know, like wood. That buildings and fences are commonly made of in a medieval setting.

What part of that needs to be set up by the GM explicitly? Almost all of that is clever use of powers.
>>
>>50237489
The maps are the same ones as in the book, if the book has a map for the location, the roll20 version does. They aren't scaled, so if in the book they are 10ft to a square its the same on roll20, though you can allter that in the setting for each map if you want to.
>>
>>50237056
Yeah 4e combats were really time consuming. My group experimented with "phase-based" actions to cut down (so you all had to move at once, all had to take minor actions at once, all had to take standard actions at once, to force simpler decision making) but it didn't really work out.
>>
>>50237511
So I can seamlessly add the SKT content to my existing campaign without having to transfer character sheets and the gazillion monsters I have made?
>>
>>50237533
Oh wait I guess the multi-stage boss one requires picking something from Monster Manual 2 or 3 maybe. Woe is me.
>>
>>50237061
>I disagree. It seems more like you had a DM(s) who was good at creating complex encounters you enjoyed than something based on the game itself.

Eh, 4e had a LOT of stuff designed to set stuff up for allies. It was built from the ground up more with the idea of multi-PC interaction.
>>
>>50237575
Not really, you have to start a new game and set it as being SKT, but you can transfer character sheets from other games (into SKT) as long as they use the 5th Edition ( OGL by Roll20 ) sheet.

I don't think there is a way to pull maps from one campaign and put them straight into another, I've never really tried to do this.
>>
>>50237651
Right, so it's useless to me. Hope someone uploads the assets to the MEGA then.
>>
>>50235429

CounterSpell
Haste or Aura of Vitality
Telekinesis or Bigsby's Hand
Circle of Power or Destructive Wave
Wish
Dealer's choice.
>>
>>50237667
It looks like its all already there
>>
>>50237690
Didn't realize the tokens and shit was uploaded, only had the book + maps last I checked. Thanks m8.
>>
>>50237537
So I'd be paying a stupid amount of money and still have to finish building the module for them. Thanks for the heads up. It's a shame they drop the ball on something so simple.
>>
So I'm making a mobile DEX fighter for a campaign and I'm unsure of what fighting style to pick. I definitely want him to be flexible but I don't want to pick something I won't be using. Defense looks like a good all-rounder option but I'd like /5eg/'s opinion.
>>
>>50237444
I feel like extra skills is too much and too easy to abuse. A wizard would easily get 5 from that. Using the mod directly also makes it a drastic increase.

Languages feel sort of meh in comparison to tool proficiencies as well, though I think having the option of language/tool would work. I still say it should scale every 3 though to cap at 3 with 19. More than that and you start to make Int way too key for skillmonkeys.
>>
>>50237708
You're welcome! I hope you enjoy SKT, it's been a blast for me so far, and my players are especially loving all of the content in chapter 3
>>
>>50237725
It's the same price as the book in the US, cheaper for me, and I don't feel like I need to actually adjust anything.

The module comes with a handout explaining the scales:
http://pastebin.com/pDYrD3mT (spoilers for SKT obviously)
>>
File: therideneverends.jpg (27KB, 256x259px) Image search: [Google]
therideneverends.jpg
27KB, 256x259px
>>50236697
the ride never ends
>>
What's a good level for a party of 4 to be at to fight the cr 10 red dragon? So far any deadly encounters i've thrown at them haven't been very strong at all.
>>
As a DM, do you think it'd be reasonable to use Create Food and Water to make salt?
>>
>>50237814
Level 10, since CR is equal to 4 party members of that level.
>>
>>50237859
That just means they should be able to take on 5~ red dragons in a day.
>>
>>50237301
>>
>>50237846
RAW no. Salt is neither bland nor nourishing and does not spoil after 24 hours.

Else, do whatever the fuck you want if it's fun. What do you need salt for?
>>
How you you make the Champion better?
>>
>>50237859
Every single deadly encounter i've thrown at the party is underwhelming as fuck.
>>
>>50237874
My bad.

>For example, a party of four 3rd-level characters should find a monster with a challenge rating of 3 to be a worthy challenge, but not a deadly one.

Level 8 or 7 then, I suppose. Remember to play it like a dragon and stay up in the air and burn them with fire breath.
>>
>>50237435

Arr arr, very funny.
>>
>>50237946
DMing, planning a town filled with infectious snails and snail-hybrids. Party is at level 2 right now but if they decide to pass by and come back at level 5 I thought the cleric would be able to make a lot of salt with CFaW and use it to disable the snails to some degree.
>>
>>50238019
I'd allow it. I'd even reward the player for creativity.
>>
>>50237727
Just go Swashbuckler
>>
>>50238057
Sure, especially since that's what I was thinking of.

Additionally, here's a link with a page for Flail Snail stats:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?366722-Boogin-and-Flail-Snail-(5e)
Does this seem reasonable?
>>
>>50238176
Looks like they will tear the party to shreds. It's capable of wiping a full level 2 party solo if it's a bit lucky, and absolutely ass-raping them in multiples. Because
>4 attacks
>80% magic immunity
>fire immunity
>poison immunity
>14 AC which means it will be hit roughly 50% of the time by anyone with average stats

Be careful.
>>
>>50238319
That's, of course, a white-room full-melee situation so it's kinda bullshit. Anyone with a bow, or non-fire and non-poison cantrip, and maneuvering space, can deal with them just fine.
>>
>>50238319 >>50238369
They'll probably level up once or twice before coming back to them, since there's more stuff to do in the general area.
>>
>>50237620
>This. Any rpg can be cooperative. But, 4th really put an emphasis on it. But I believe that with a bit of homebrew, 5th can have a few add on options that do the same .
>>
>>50237972
That's because a single big enemy against four players is going to get the shit beat out of it, period.

Throw them against a red dragon, its kobold servants and its half-dragon champion offspring.
>>
>>50237737
I would not include skills as an option. Int mod languages and proficiencies is a nice addon.
>>
>>50237961
First one needs to know what's wrong with it first.
>>
How do you make old familiar monsters unique or different?
>>
>>50238655
Reskin them.
>>
>>50238554
I dunno, it'd definitely require some work since 5E characters largely operate in a vacuum. Other than small things like Bardic Inspiration, Sneak Attack getting a proc just from having an ally within 5 ft, the Sentinel feat, and the Protection fighting style, there really isn't much that's focused around teamwork to the point they even removing flanking due to the swap from numeric bonuses to advantage.
>>
>>50238614
>>50237961

It does no damage. 5-10% extra crit chance is irrelevant when the BM is adding damage/hit change every round coupled with very useful effects.
My first idea would be to just give it a flat damage boost so that it can match the BM before a hundred rounds have passed, which is kinda the current situation.
>>
>>50236818
I wouldn't call it playing anymore. Combat is a slog once you master it, three sessions into your first campaign.
>>
>>50236812
I don't understand how this is complicated for you.

Everyone who offers a different opinion for rolling or buying or arraying is seeking something different from the game. So I just collapsed an entire thread of shitposting for you by stating everyone's opinion.
>>
How can I de-emphasize the many races in my world?
>>
>>50238655
Bait and switch. That hydra is actually two intellect devourers and a shambler.

Behaviour alteration. Those mind flayers are actually bro-tier and are always willing to help. And thay are gravely insulted by that name, they are illithids! And that beholder actually has dog level intelligence and can be tamed and serve as a loyal pet.
>>
>>50235010
>So im planning on running a Space Fantasy game that's essentially if you mixed Spelljammer with Kill Six Billion Demons and Warhammer 40k.

SHIT NEGRO WHAT ARE YOU DOING
>>
>>50238764
Everyone has a human's stats (variant). Races are cosmetic, but nobody really cares.
>>
>>50238804
Many races made by gods seeded the spheres, when they finally reached beyond the spheres they found a twisted realm of elements and emotion, a warping sea that the dark crystal spheres floated in home to many beings, namely fiends and celestials. They also found the gods dead and their houses empty, their power waiting. Many individuals seized this power for themselves and conquered worlds. Greats wars were waged by these beings and their followers to dominion of the spheres, but these conflicts have gone on for so long that they've mostly simmered down into cold wars and skirmishes. The players are victims to their schemes. The players can also eventually seize power for themselves and become conquerors.
>>
what's the gimmick of warlocks?
They seem to be really shitty wizards with less spell options, significantly less spell slots, a bit more health, and light armor.

What's the point?
>>
>>50238998
Rangers that don't suck.
>>
>>50238764
Races are all fringe factions, often hiding in seclusion due to the destruction of humans, with humans warring humans causing many issues other races would like to avoid.

Players must give a thorough reasoning as to why they'd be playing anything but a human, but are absolutely not banned from it. Even if everybody ends up a not-human, it's because they're heroes who have come to bring about change, after all.

Elves are like native Americans. At one with nature. Humans come over, trash everything with their technology and expansive views.
Dwarfs are to seclusive to get involved.
Orcs are driven to extinction and hide away, the last remaining Orcs turning to be somewhat more timid yet still strong, or they're slaves.

Et cetera.

You still want to make each civilization of humans quite distinct, though. Bring out a wide variety of humans and human cultures.
>>
>>50238998
For starters they have short rest spell slots, as opposed to long rest for every other caster, but honestly just go and read their rules and see how they differ for yourself.
>>
>>50238998
Eldritch Blast is strong, so they're a good blaster. They get armor which makes them moderately more useful in close combat without expending spell slots on AC. They get invocations which can be useful. They get to completely re-pick all of their spells every level so they never have 'dead' spells known. They can get cool pets.
>>
>>50238998
Short rest spell slots. Eldritch Blast. Not being a big nerd.
>>
>>50239051
I have, they get some rituals, any bound weapon, or a super familiar. They have some cool perks, and they have a firebolt that they can soup up.

flavor wise, they seem awesome. Some of their invocations and patrons skills are cool and add to their utility but... It looks like they just spam eldritch bolt all the time.
>>
>>50238655
How do you make them unique? Well, since everyone wants to put "their own spin" on everything, the most unique way to play one is to play it straight. Mind Flayers came from beyond the void, and the struggle against their evil is the Mandate of Heaven. Displacer Beasts are as smart as men but as cruel and heartless as cats. Etc.
>>
So does anyone know how to make a homonculus?

I have just come across an absurd ammount of clay from killing three clay gollems, and I'm getting ideas.
>>
>>50239104
>but... It looks like they just spam eldritch bolt all the time.
For damage, yes. The same way any melee class will spam their weapon all the time.
>>
>>50239066
>play wizard elf
>half Orc warlock
>he has 17 str, 18 cha(2*), 16 con, 8 wis and 7 Int
>calls me a nerd and frequently grapples me
>>
>>50238998
Eldritch blast + Agonizing blast is the best cantrip, and can given 10ft pushback on every hit.
Invocations.
Has armour proficiency and better health die than wizard, but worse off for AC than cleric. Fiend pact for example however does give some nice extra survivability, even if not much.
Can cast level 5 spells later on many times a day.
Pact of the tome and chain are interesting. An invisible familiar is powerful, and tome allows for charisma-based melee attacks (great for paladins), guidance or whatever, along with access to every ritual in the game. But, wizards still do rituals almost just as well.

I'd say wizard is generally better, especially if your DM doesn't give short rests often. However, it doesn't completely overshadow warlock.

Warlock's main attraction is its style, to be honest. Invocations are cool when they give you at-will spells, which wizards don't get until later.
>>
>>50239148
Yeah but attacking with a weapon can be described in so many different ways based on terrain and what you are fighting.

Eldritch bolt is just ... That. It's force damage so I don't really know any cool tricks, and the lack of spell slots kills any kind of cool utility a wizard has.

I'm not saying they suck, I just don't get what they are supposed to excel at.
>>
File: 1420320915649.png (96KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1420320915649.png
96KB, 400x400px
>>50239141
>I HAVE TONNES OF FUCKING CLAY I WANT TO DO STUFF WITH IT
Retire from adventuring
Get a potters kit
Become a potter.
Seriously, it's clay. It's like mud. It's fucking everywhere. What are you expecting?

I bet it's not even kaolinite.
>>
>>50239151
>tfw I played a Warlock in 3.5 who wound up with 18 Strength and made demonic pacts for more muscles
Never actually meleed anything, it was just interesting being a swole-as-fuck evil doctor.
>>
>>50239175
Well, don't forget that EB, when it goes up a damage dice, actually gets multiple beams. Describe its color, the thickness of the beam, whether it pulsates or strikes with a hard impact.

Are you seriously saying that a magical lance of energy is more boring than swinging some metal?
>>
so.. We are doing the storm giant campaign. Got to the ice town, we spent 3 hours in combat killing 3 giants and 2 ice wolves

Normal? We are level 5
>>
>>50239211
>I cast eldritch bolt at the young woman
>the beam is black, thick, turgid and pulsates with power, looking as though anything hit by it would be as if it were ran through by a bull
>>
File: dorodango2.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dorodango2.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>50239141
Learn dorodango. Get in touch with your artistic side. Spend tens, even hundreds of hours polishing a mud ball to perfection.

Then destroy it and revel in the impermanence of nature, the ephemerality of existence, and sublime possibility. Achieve Enlightenment.

Remember to avoid upkeep on your weapons and gear. Milk that wabi-sabi for all it's worth.
>>
File: gundick.gif (1MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
gundick.gif
1MB, 160x120px
>>50239245
>>
>>50239219
Gj beating them, lots of people get fucked in this encounter.
The time is indeed excessive. Talk to your DM. The players should start the turn more or less knowing what they're going to do, and if someone takes a lot of time in their turns the ideal would be warning them to speed up and if it keeps reocurring, then just skip their turn or force to do a simple attack/cantrip to the nearest enemy.
>>
>>50238998
They get to cast extremely useful spells at will, at level 2.
>>
>>50239151
Looks like you're okay with that. Is your wizard ____qt?
>>
Most broken/OP class?

Is it wizard and if so, what school?
>>
>>50239544
Druid - summon a buncha niggas, wildshape = wreck shit. Spells and healing for times when wrecking shit just isn't appropriate
>>
>>50239544

It's not Wizard.

Arguably, the Wildshape Druid has the edge on "how hard to kill the class is"
>>
>>50239544
Divination Wizard. It's fun and fairly metagamey.
>>
>>50239600
>Divination Wizard

2/day if you roll really high or really low. Hardly gamebreaking. Get a 10 and a 12 for your Portents and that's a wasted day except to avoid crits. Plus the rest of their class eatures are ass
>>
>>50239544
Lore bards are objectively the best class on the game.
>>
>>50239620

What do they have over other Bard collges? I thought Bard in general was pretty broken, I mean.
>>
>>50239618
It's objectively better than wildshape because it dice to the power level and there's no reason to worry about usage limits.
>>
>>50239640
> because it dice to the power level

what?
>>
>>50239637

Bards are nice, but not OP. Lore Bard can just learn spells from any spell lists.
>>
>>50239191

Dude

A clay golem costs like, 65 thousand gold pieces to make.
And stradh put them in our path as a fucking joke.
Do you know what that kind of waste does to a broke ass nigger like me?

I intend to shove it up his ass so deep his teeth will taste like dirt
>>
Any advice on converting OSR modules to 5e?

My players complained about not having interesting enough combat in Lamentations, and I really couldn't be arsed with DCC's OTT weirdness, so I caved and have crawled back to 5e like a literature student to his parents' basement.

I'm running Maze of the Blue Medusa for them and loving it, but I'm 90% sure that since they're now level 2, nothing short of the 'endgame' threats in the maze will ever do much more than tickle them.

I really can't be fucked to go through and note down which 5e statlines/monsters to look up next to every damn entry in the book, which seems the only way to *really* balance things properly, and since it's Maze there aren't really any generic enemies who I can easily crossreference.

TL;DR - 5e is too easy, I want to kill at least 1 PC per session
>>
>>50239637
Bards are a good class on their own, but what really pushes them over the top is magical secrets. This is definitely a casters edition of dnd, and being able to know the best spells from every caster class undeniably makes bards the best casters.

Additionally, bards are great casters and skill monkeys.

Lore bards are the best because they get more magical secrets.
>>
>make Bards 9th level casters
>let them learn spells from any class list

What could possibly go wrong
>>
>>50239686
>This is definitely a casters edition of dnd

Not true
>>
>>50239713
Yes, it is true. You aren't screwed by picking a martial, but you aren't ever going to be as good as your caster companions.
>>
>>50239683

>TL;DR - 5e is too easy, I want to kill at least 1 PC per session

Then do it.

>>50239710

Nothing much, actually.
>>
>>50239744

Yes you are.

Casters aren't better than martials.
>>
File: Hydra.png (411KB, 256x652px) Image search: [Google]
Hydra.png
411KB, 256x652px
Equality through killing shit

Except for Rogues, because fuck skillmonkeys
>>
>>50239864
>This is photoshop's version of lorem ipsum

Kills me every time.
>>
So I love the idea of a Wizard not having combat spells. How viable is it?

Also what are some better pnp systems for magic?
>>
>>50239826
Nah. Everything a martial can do, a caster can do, buy not everything a caster can do a martial can do.

Additionally, the dps difference, which is the only thing some martials have over some casters, disappears when you factor in spell slots for aoe. The game is balanced such that a caster will very rarely run out of slots before a long rest, and never with standard DM practices.

By picking a martial, you are going to be worse at all non combat areas of the game, and at best marginally better at the third of the game that is combat.

The only thing wizards fixed about caster and martial balance this edition is making it so martials are actually on par damage wise, not objectively worse. They ignored the fundamental issues of versatility and cc.
>>
>>50239864
The Rogue is behind the Hydra, ready to sneak attack
>>
If you go by PvE, there's arguably Druids who can contribute more than your average martial, and mostly at high level, aside from shenanigans with Wish and simulacrum.

PvP is not a concern, though but for white-box theorycrafting's sake, it generaly goes "whoever wins Initiative wins, unless one flees or has preparation time." In which case some casters have a slight advantage to escape.
>>
>>50239893
If "combat" means "directly damaging", perfectly viable. And it's actually the best kind of wizards.

If it means "any one that can be used in combat with a favorable result", it's shit to mediocre depending on spells and skills.
>>
>>50239976
Nah, I mean more your build a wall here, summon a t-rex here and make he barbarian a giant type Wiz
>>
>>50239895
>Everything a martial can do, a caster can do

Not true.

>disappears when you factor in spell slots for aoe

What are you talking about?

>you are going to be worse at all non combat areas of the game,

Kek no.

Casters aren't that good without help, in those areas, dude.

5e doesn't have "instant solve out-of-combat stuff" spells
>>
>>50240002
Why don't you refute his points with some examples instead of saying "lol no"?
>>
>>50239995
Then, the former.
>>
So I have to be the groups face.

Should I just go half-elf - bard?
>>
>>50240054
Dwarven Fighter
>>
>>50240002
>5e doesn't have "instant solve out-of-combat stuff" spells

what is Charm
what is Dominate
what is Teleport
what is Fabricate
what is Image

Should I continue?
>>
>>50240013

Because he's not giving examples for me to refute either.

We could both show calculations as to why we think we're right, but that'd demand a lot of work from both side, so right now we're stuck saying "lol no".
>>
>>50240071
>Can only access these spells if you go Wiz/20

Damn
>>
>>50240002
>>50240002
>Not true

Yes true. Casters interact with the game through spells, skills, and combat. Martials only get half the spells at most, skills and combat. Which means casters are operating on an entirely different axis for non gishes, and just twice as good as half casters at casting.

>What are you talking about?
Most people seem to think martials are better at combat than casters because they do more damage per round. This damage difference disappears if you factor in aoe spells.

>Kek no.
>Casters aren't that good without help, in those areas, dude.
>5e doesn't have "instant solve out-of-combat stuff" spells

Fly, friends, polymorph, passwall, knock, teleport, dominate, misty step, become ethereal, several divination spells, several illusion spells, etc. You lack creativity, troll.
>>
Here's one for ya, casters can't have more than 25 HP at level 2, but a martial could. Now what?
>>
>>50239544
Lore Bard, Diviner Wizard, Onion Moon Druid.
Lore bards get literally everything, diviner wizards get to reroll anything, onion druids are essentially immortal thanks to wildshape while still getting full spell progression.
>>
So, the players are about to unearth something. I essentially stuck the Murder /k/ube in the game for shits and giggles as a lesser diety. I'm going to offer the ability to pledge your allegiance to it in exchange for an Artifact item. The examples I've thumbed through in the DMG seem a bit too powerful for a level 5 character. I have some ideas for it, but I'll see if you guys have a better one. What's a good low-ish level magic weapon that fits the theme of the /k/ube?
>>
>>50240154
Bard, variant human standard array, 16 con.

Max rolls in hit dice bring you to 22 hitpoints, but if your variant feat is tough, you have 4 extra, bringing the total to 26, which is more than 25. If you're going to shitpost, at least read the phb.
>>
>>50240154
To be fair, they can. The absolute maximum amount for a caster at level 2 is 32 for a hill dwarf cleric or other d8 caster with 20 Con and Tough feat.
>>
>>50240238
>>50240254

Blast, I forgot rolling for hit points!
>>
>>50240121
Skills (actually ability checks) is an incredibly broad category, as is combat. Spells are each very narrow and highly specific. They just aren't that good. Further, any spell you spend on "instantly solving" an out of combat "problem" is a spell you don't know or can't cast to contribute to combat. It's self-correcting.
>>
>>50240254

How are you getting 32? I'm coming up with 28. 8 hit die x 2 for 16, 5 con times 2 for 10, which is 26, plus 2 for the Hill Dwarf HP ability. What am I missing?
>>
>>50240287
Tons of the spells I listed have combat applications too, so learning them isn't an issue.

Additionally, they can be used to bypass combat, rendering the martial useless.

Skills is broad, but the point is any character can have virtually any skill proficiency, so there isn't an argument too be made that martials somehow compensate for their lack of spellcasting.
>>
>>50240071

>what is Charm
>what is Dominate
>what is Teleport
>what is Fabricate
>what is Image

None of those are "instant solve out-of-combat-stuff" spells, anon.

>what is Charm

Charm spells would make pretty much anyone but the most forgiving people hostile to the caster once the effects dissipate, and "friendly acquaintance" is not enough to have the Charmed people do most of the useful things for you. So it's certainly not a way to skip social interactions.

>Dominate

A nice 5th level spell, which can be very useful, but still doesn't instant solve out-of-combat stuff, and is still going to make the person hostile once it dissipate.

>what is Teleport

A nice way to skip travel time or to flee. Doesn't really solve much, though it does make things faster.

>what is Image

Err, not sure which spell you're talking about.
>>
>>50240234
The Staff of Thunder.

It's just a loaded shotgun.

>>50240314
8*2 for dice, 5*2 for Con, 1*2 for racial ability, 2*2 for Tough. 32 total.
>>
>>50240352

Tough? The feat? At level 2? For a Hill Dwarf?
>>
>>50240379
...well fuck, I dun goofed, ignore.
>>
>>50240401

Ah, okay then.

Ahem.

Casters can't have more than 28 HP at level 2, while a martial can! What now?
>>
>>50240121

> Casters interact with the game through spells, skills, and combat.

It doesn't mean they can accomplish more with those spells or skills.

>This damage difference disappears if you factor in aoe spells

Casters are good to kill group of small foes quickly, it doesn't make them good to handle beefier foes.

>Fly, friends, polymorph, passwall, knock, teleport, dominate, misty step, become ethereal,

So, quick transportations to difficult to reach place, or sparing people a skill check

>several divination spells, several illusion spells

Not sure how those can instantly solve an out-of-combat situation. Care to give examples?
>>
Infuriatingly Smug Wizard tried to prove casters were better than martials, and he failed pretty hard.
>>
>>50240351

>Charm
So you're saying the fact I can make people do what they want isn't good?

>Dominate
Now they HAVE to do what you wan

>teleport
Yeah being able to travel anywhere isn't gonna be handy is it?

You sound like the most boring player in the world.
>>
>>50240351
>>50240448

Note that each of those spells can help the group, without a doubt, but is unlikely to solve a real problem by itself.
>>
Rolled 15 (1d100)

>>50240339
>Fly
Won't bypass combat.
>friends
Will start combat
>polymorph
Won't bypass combat
>passwall
Might bypass combat, but probably not.
>knock
Will start combat.
>teleport
Might bypass content. Might not. It's putting yourself voluntarily on GM's wild ride. Rolling to teleport safely.
>dominate
Will start combat.
>misty step
Won't bypass combat
>become ethereal
May bypass combat, may not.
>several divination spells
Much waving of hands. You mean scouting ahead? Yeah, it may bypass combat or it may not.
>several illusion spells
Hand-waving intensifies.
>>
>>50240528
Not them, but
>flying doesn't pass combat when you can literally just say 'lol nope' and fly off when a band of ogres attacks
>knock starting combat, rather than allowing you to quickly get out of combat and escape, and the only combat it might start would have happened shoudl you have opened the door some other way
>being able to go fast (say, misty step) won't bypass combat
>implying illusion spells can't avoid combat when you can use minor illusion to at-will create a box over you, make a wall over a doorway, etc.
>suggesting that dominate will start combat when you can have the dominated creature just shackle itself.

You have to be thinking very uncreatively to not be using these spells right.
Sure, they're not sure-fire going to work but a lot of spells have situations you'll find yourself in sooner or later.
>>
>>50240528
>>polymorph
>Won't bypass combat

Polymorph'em into a turtle, dump it in a bag of holding/devouring?
>>
>>50240480
>So you're saying the fact I can make people do what they want isn't good?

You can't make people do what you want. Charm can make people think you're kind of a friend, that's it. And then they know that you fucked them up.

So it can be handy in some situations, but is not a problem solver by itself, at least not of problems a martial could also solve.

>Now they HAVE to do what you wan

Yes, for one hour. Using a decently powerful slot. It's handy, true, but still not something that would solve a situation a martial couldn't solve.

>Yeah being able to travel anywhere isn't gonna be handy is it?

>Yeah being able to travel anywhere isn't gonna be handy is it?

No, it's handy. Pretty good to skip travel time. It's not that big a deal either.

>You sound like the most boring player in the world.

You're the one who pretends casters and only casters can solve stuff instantly without effort, pal.

Dunno about you, but that sounds more boring that what actually happens, aka casters and martials having to work together to overcome actual challenges, and with each being able to solve different kinds of minor difficulties.
>>
Rolled 1, 9, 5 = 15 (3d10)

>>50240528
Oh no, you've had a mishap, unless it was a very familiar destination, in which case, rolling to see if you drown. First die is direction "1" North and clockwise around from there. Next two for percent of distance to travel.
>>
I want to play with a party of 4 or 5 portent wizards sometime and see how badly we can break a module.
>>
>>50240649
>Fuck my party. I'm always alone and so is everyone I meet. Fuck people, amirite?
>>
So does anyone have the Scarred Lands pdf from Onyxpath publishing? Its only out for backers now and I'm interested in reading it.
>>
Also
>implying travel time might not include several dozen encounters if it's half way around the world

>>50240692
You can use fly to make your entire party fly.

You can use stalling spells to stall enemies, or buff allies with spells such as haste while using your mobility spells alongside it. Heck, longstrider on one person, haste on another, misty step for yourself. It's pretty spell-slot wastey, but you can always use your magic to find good chances for your party to have a rest.
>>
>>50240686
Extra fuckery mode:
They're all halfling wizards with lucky.
>>
>>50240686

depends what you mean by "portent"

Most likely, you won't be able to break a module, aside from the typical game breaker at level 17+

>>50240528
>>50240649

Now, let's give credits were credits is due, casters can bypass a fight if they have the right spell.

Then again, unless you're moving away from the action entirely or if it's a random encounter that don't matter for the adventure, you're going to have to deal with those foes by stealth or by combat one way or another.

So spells don't let you do more than the non-magical solutions, just quicker/a bit more easily, with the risk of running low on spells when you're in a tight spot.
>>
>>50240739

So you're saying that casters are good at supporting and helping the group succeed.

Whoa, it's almost as if they were designed to be that way.
>>
>since volo's all you do now is think up kobold PCs

I WANT THEM ALL! kobold battle master, kobold rogue, kobold monk, kobold bard, ranger, warlock, sorc, witch hunter.

but about the witch hunter, has anyone played or playing one currently?
>>
File: Law Jesus.jpg (98KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Law Jesus.jpg
98KB, 1920x1080px
How do I make Law Jesus?
>>
>>50240839
Spells don't let you bypass encounters if you're a boring rube, or your DM is railroady to the point of being a that guy.
>>
>>50240839
Portent being portent wizards, the wizards with the portent feature.

Honestly I think halfling was a bit much, but all variant human with +2 int and lucky feat sounds best.

If an enemy rolls a 20? Reroll it.
If an enemy rolls less? Shield or something will save you, probably.
Decide to cast polymorph on the big bad? Use portent to gaurantee their failure on the save.
Monsters suddenly appear and ambush you? Make them reroll dice or use portent and make sure they still can't hit you because you're a fucking wizard.

Set up careful firing lines and retreat to safer ground if situations ever look to be melee-favourable. Otherwise, firing lines will mean you'll probably nuke most of the enemies before they can do much.

Counterspell means that enemy casters can never do anything against your wizard party.
The wizards cover the strength they're lacking with spells such as 'knock'.

Heck, really, the fact that you have 4+ people who can all put out insane CC like hold person on several targets is dangerous in itself.

Very few monsters? Use CC like hold person. Use portent to force their failures if needed.
Lots of monsters? Nuke everything.

The main worry is if your wizard party doesn't get chances to rest, since they have no crutch to lean on.
>>
>>50240873
Yes, casters are good at supporting and helping the group succeed. However, that also suggests they could potentially work on their own or in a group of casters, too.

Just because casters are good at support, doesn't mean you can't take 6 low level wizards and beat almost anything through blatant abuse of features like portent to force even the strongest of monsters to kneel at your feet.
>>
>>50240981
>>50240839
Oh, but, if you reach level 7 spells, teleport pretty much lets you take an item from a dungeon and teleport out, rest, and then teleport in again whenever you feel like it with 100% success rate.
>>
>>50240908

I wanted to play kobolds really hard, but then I saw all they get is pack tactics and -2 strength
>>
>>50241046

Ah, yes, because dungeons are static things and no one will notice the

>>50241021

>However, that also suggests they could potentially work on their own or in a group of casters, too.

I doubt that they could do something with an moderate to intense pace, although they could succeed something that let them choose the pace.

And a martial-only group can achieve similar success

> doesn't mean you can't take 6 low level wizards and beat almost anything through blatant abuse of features like portent to force even the strongest of monsters to kneel at your feet.

Eh, I don't see them clearing a dungeon that way.
>>
>>50240922

Lawful Evil vengeance paladin.
>>
>>50240674
45% of the travel distance off target to the north. Have a nice trip.
>>
>>50241266

Don't you mean 95%?
>>
>>50240922
Oath of the Crown is pretty nice
>>
Ultimately, 5e martials vs casters end up being "this is not 3.X or a dick-measuring contest, both are able to contribute equally or near, but in different ways."
>>
>>50241292
Nah, Teleport's off-target doesn't use a percentile die but an actually 1d10 X 1d10. It gives a different average.
>>
>>50241344

Unless you live in the whitebox where every casters has the right spell ready for each situation, with unlimited time to rest.
>>
>>50241082
and a ability to give your whole team advantage

being i cut my teeth on 3/3.5e, I lived with stat penalties for the longest time. -2 strength sucks but there is enough ways to work around it, especially since DEX is such a GOAT stat this gen, and finesse is much more viable now.
>>
>>50241356

Oh, ok

>>50241368

It's the whitebox were the HectoPeasants live
>>
>>50241234
Dungeons aren't likely to notice that you're going to teleport straight back in again.

They may bolster their defences, but they're unlikely to know without deep research into your tactics what you're up to.
>>
>>50241460
Unless you're in the underdark and your DM plans to put in old lore.

The reason the underdark was so perilous isn't just because of the enemies and surrounding darkness, a special kind of fungus thrives and grows there that fucks up teleportation magic. No matter how far or little you teleport it would dramatically raise your chances of randomly teleporting into solid rock and dying.
>>
>>50241234
Martial-only groups are much more limited.

They lack AoE.
They require magic weapons in order to deal with physical immune creatures (And some creatures are still resistant to magical weapon damage)
They require aid from NPCs and the DM to get items or plot devices to, say, raid a castle in the sky.
They lack CC options beyond shoving, grappling and the monk's stunning fist for the most part, whereas magic users often get things such as sleep to, at low levels, sleep a large part of an encounter or hold person to completely disable and weaken several enemies.
Strength martials often fall into a routine of walking up to an enemy and hitting them, and have limited options for attacking at range (say, they can throw javelins at best which probably won't work with their GWM/PAM/etc if they have it) whereas wizards have versatility and spells that control the battlefield, creating difficult terrain or blowing enemies back so they can't close distance.
An all martial group cannot counterspell enemy casters when they throw AoEs over them or other powerful controlling spells.
Martials must usually rely on potions to get other martials up mid-combat.

There's just so much versatility in wizards, to the point they even have spells that can keep them alive and mitigate one of the major issues with being a wizard - low health. Bards are quite fun for that too, using cutting words on each other and healing each other a lot.
>>
File: dumb.png (63KB, 180x202px) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
63KB, 180x202px
>thread goes to shit because of hate
I haven't had any trouble handling mages, in fact they feel kinda weak when exploring dungeons.

When facing one strong opponent per rest they are similar to the non casters, sometimes even weaker because I have never seen a non caster waste one turn on failing a spell and consume resources and not have a direct impact on the fight.

The most OP thing I would say as spells go is polymorph and even then is not that great of a deal.
>>
>>50241547

>Sleep
>Ever working on anything

I take it you've never actually cast sleep.
>>
>>50241572
No, because I've played casters without sleep mostly. The conditions aren't much different to a charm spell - can't be immune to charm. Only difference is no undead.

I heard it was great at lower levels but meh at higher levels, and..
Looking at it, it seems about right. Looks like it's good for the first two, three or four levels and then becomes pretty lame.

Even then, as long as you're not making an elf a target that has some pretty good potential for out of combat problem solving when an NPC is getting in your way.

Actually, just realized.
Sleep has no save throw.
>>
How does concentration works in this edition? if a caster is maintaining a spell with concentration does he needs to make a roll if hit in combat? or is concentration just like a resource in the sense you can only have one concentration spell at the same time?
>>
>>50241535
It'd likely use old rules because a game like 5e definitely wouldn't accept 'you teleport into rock and die'
The most it has is 'you have an uncomfortable journey and take a bit of damage'.
>>
>>50241624
PHB pg. 203.
>>
Gonna be playing a Light Cleric soon, but I am having a hard time coming up with justification for why he follows his god.
It will likely be a Homebrew God, but I am having a hard time getting into the mindset of Why he would worship a God and why he would have faith in it. The best I can think of is in a time of need this god saved his life and now he's repaying his debt. Maybe less of a "I saved you, now you gotta serve me" and more of a "I saved you because you are my chosen one, and I don't want you to die". I am not sure about it. Recommendations? How do I make my Cleric's conviction strong and believable?

Some ideas for the character are going to be he is battling the darkness. Like, literal Darkness. So in Dungeons he goes around lighting all the torches.

Race is undecided. Leaning towards one of the physically bigger races cause thats what I like. Firbolg would be ideal, but I doubt my DM will allow it. Probably stuck with Half-Orc.
>>
>>50241617

Here's the thing about sleep. Yeah, no save, affects a lot, yada yada. The problem is the dice. You stop, roll the dice, and WHAM, you get to knock out 20 HP worth of creatures. DM looks over...nope, sorry, nothing is at less than 20. Well shit. You try again a few rounds later, after everything has taken a bit more of a beating. This time you roll...27! Surely you must sleep all of them! DM looks over...okay, you knock out this one guy who was next to death anyway.

It's just not good. If I may borrow a term, it's a "win more" spell. You'll knock out one or two guys who have a dozen HP or that would have died anyway. It serves no real purpose.
>>
>>50241369
>and a ability to give your whole team advantage

so does Faerie Fire

he makes for a marginally passable rogue, and that's about it.
>>
>>50241729

I play a light cleric Aasimar (volo) and his motivation is basically nepotism.

It's pretty great.
>>
>>50241729

The god in question didn't save the Cleric, but someone close to the Cleric. Maybe that person didn't deserve to be saved, but was saved by their faith anyway. Your Cleric worships for answers.
>>
>>50241804
>KermitTheFrogFrowning.jpg

>>50241817
That doesn't feel feel like faith, it is more like they are interested in this religion/god due to curiosity. That almost feels more like a Warlock's motivation.

Seems like when they get the answers they are looking for, they'd probably stop worshiping this god.

I appreciate the help, but I don't think this is what I am looking for.
>>
>>50241894

Just a suggestion. Sometimes salvation isn't a goal, but a journey.
>>
>>50241911
Hopefully what i said didn't come off as dickish. I did not mean it to. I do appreciate the help. Sometimes knowing what you don't want helps you figure out the course to what you do want.
>>
>>50241793
Kobold Rangers. Kobold Sharpshooters, really.
>>
>>50241793

Kobolds are going to be godly shadow monks, people are seriously overlooking that.
>>
New thread when?
Thread posts: 442
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.