[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 532
Thread images: 49

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread: >>50127933

Have you made any characters with the new races? What are they?
>>
>>50134791
Not yet, no. Because forever GM. I have, however, allowed them in my campaign and regretted it immediately, since I'm DMing Curse of Strahd.
>>
>>50134810
If you're going to allow monstrous races in Strahd, mandate them. Have the entire party be comprised of fuckers who aren't allowed in any town. Let this band of chaotic misfits save the day somehow and yet still be reviled by the simple peasantfolk.
>>
Is there any class feature or other character option besides Feylock that confers immunity to being charmed onto the players?
>>
>>50134808
They do have variety, you can go ranged weapon user, you can go rapier or whip + shield, or you can go two weapon fighter.
>>
File: 1478203541961[1].png (2MB, 1157x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478203541961[1].png
2MB, 1157x1080px
>>50134810
I hope they are all going pic related
>>
>>50134842
Speaking of Volo's guide and Curse of Strahd, what does a wereraven kenku look like?
>>
>>50134791
>much excited

Good pic
>>
>>50134791
I have not yet, but I plan on drafting up some character sheets soon with the ideas I've come up with since the release of Volo's guide. I probably won't get to make sense any of them until next year though since my group is still slugging through OotA.
>>
does anyone have any decent maps?
I really need something for a fancy party/stealth assassination mission
>>
>>50134865
Like a wereraven
>>
Would "Little-league coach" be a viable Bardic background (inspiriting others, etc).

His vicious mockery would be things like "I'm not mad, just disappointed son."
>>
>>50134844
I'm quite positive paladins get charm immunity, or at least one of their subclasses do. Also elves are resistant to being charmed.
>>
>>50134912
>Would Airplane Pilot make a viable Ranger background
>Would Compsci Grad Student make a viable Wizard background
I sincerely hope you mean in a modern game or else I am disappoint.
>>
I'm thinking about running a monstrous party campaign. Ideas?
>>
>>50134953
>he's never played a Baseball Player Kensai or Chinese Cowboy Monk
your loss, mate
>>
>>50134853
>rapier or whip
Wow, what a great variety.
Honestly the only thing I would add is a slashing analogue of a rapier for a more or less complete package. That way you can later refluff it for either sabre, or actual scimitar, and not just "slashing shortsword", or even katana, if you wish so.
>>
File: winter palace DAI.jpg (751KB, 4304x2081px) Image search: [Google]
winter palace DAI.jpg
751KB, 4304x2081px
>>50134888
There are a few vidya game maps you can copy from.
>>
>>50135007
IIRC there's like two monsters at most who make a difference between slashing and piercing, so I just keep "Cutting/Bludgeoning" as damage types
>>
>>50135023
>being or having a DM that doesn't use custom creatures with all sorts of elemental or physical vulnerabilities and weaknesses
The MM really dropped the ball on making players want to carry multiple weapons or spell damage types.
>>
>>50135007
But there IS a scimitar and it IS a finesse slashing weapon. The only difference from a rapier is 1 point of damage on average.
>>
Do you think using Zelix, the illithid who runs an insane asylum in the underdark but was cut from oota, would be fun?

My idea is that the players can meet/free/(kill?) an insane Drizzt at the asylum. Zelix would be a rogue arcanist illithid.

For the asylum design, do you think a panopticon would be fun? Might add to the players paranoia
>>
>>50135043
I'm fine with not making my life more complicated and not forcing players to do retarded shit like pack two swords because the devs still believe that rapiers don't slash and scimitars don't pierce.
>>
File: tog0025.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tog0025.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
Any word on what the next adventure is going to be? I know it'll be out around March or so, but still curious.
>>
>>50135107
>packing two swords is retarded
nigga i've got eight hammers
>>
>>50135118
It's codenamed "Labyrinth" and Adventure Time's creator Pendleton Ward is helping make it. That's about all we know.
>>
>>50135118
>>50135127
just give me a PHB 2
>>
>>50135150
Unearthed Arcana are becoming weekly for the next few months, so the playtesting for that (or functionally that, anyway) is beginning.
>>
>>50135043
>making players want to carry multiple weapons
>tfw dm uses encumbrance and I can barely carry my gear now
>>
>>50135165
>next few months
Nice. I thought it was just the 3 barbarian things
>>
Monk with enlarge

do fists deal 1d4 extra?
>>
>>50135070
It's just by it's design it is implied as a dual wielding weapon, simillar to a shortsword.
It would be just better for flavor, and in a small amount for a balance to add such weapon.
And actual scimitar was not as short and not as light as a shortsword anyway, and was probably as hard to dual-wield as any other average cutting sword. Which is actually wierd since by the stats table it actually weights more than a rapire and supposed to be "light", while rapier isn't.
>>
>>50135179
>tfw your inventory is two sheets long, the DM isn't using encumberence rules, and the party still found two bags of holding
I don't even know what we're going to do with these.
If I had my way, though, it'd be filling them both to the brim with finely-ground cinnamon. Do you know how much damage you could do with two hundred pounds of ground cinnamon?
>>
>>50135107
It's one thing at low levels where you're not counting on plusses from weapons, but once magic kit comes into play, no.
>>
>>50135206
Hai desu
>>
>>50135217
>not just using socketed weapons with +1 gems in them
>>
>>50135207
Yeah, in DND, the falchion and scimitar seemed to have switched names.
>>
File: BKXh1wb.gif (2MB, 330x295px) Image search: [Google]
BKXh1wb.gif
2MB, 330x295px
>tfw vorefag
>mfw yuan-ti and lizardfolk
>>
File: 1277549380400.png (87KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1277549380400.png
87KB, 700x700px
>>50135359
Lizardfolk wouldn't eat someone if they're alive and useful.
Expect them to jump your bones within minutes of your death, though.

They're pragmatic in the extreme, and thus have no sentimental value on your remains. But so long as you're breathing, you probably can serve another purpose than tonight's meal.
>>
>>50134791
Where are people finding the art from VGM?
Getting good images from the books is something I've wanted for ages.
>>
File: 52qnpPReO1r73egto1_500.jpg (40KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
52qnpPReO1r73egto1_500.jpg
40KB, 500x283px
>>50135444
It's literally in the trove it is just right there in the trove
>>
>>50135465
doho, I'm a dingus.
I'm still looking for art from other books though, mostly SKT.
>>
>>50135439
>Lizardfolk wouldn't eat someone if they're alive
One of their quirks is 'I prefer my food wriggling', although maybe that means animals more than humanoids
>>
how do you guys handle a semi-important NPC falling to 0 HP? do you just write them off as instantly dead? give them 1 death save? give them the same amount as PC?
>>
>>50135563
Same as a PC.
>>
>>50135563
Depends if I wanna kill them or not
>>
>>50135563
If they have any business being in a fight, they get their death saves like anybody else. If they're a non-combatant or unusually frail they need extra successes.
>>
>>50135516
the keyword here is rather 'useful'. if they arent useful, they might eat them alive just as well.
>>
File: 20111118-pissworld.png (226KB, 750x1091px) Image search: [Google]
20111118-pissworld.png
226KB, 750x1091px
>>50135359
>>
>>50135209
Our encumbrance rules are "don't go past encumbered or you're gonna have a bad time."

It's silly not to limit that shit.
>>
>>50135359

> lizardfolk
OP, your DM won't allow Volo stats and will probably make it shit to play as.
> yuan-ti
You're a slave to snake-Jesus and can't show emotion. Congrats on being Edgy McBuzzkill.
>>
Dude with the divine/arcane martial artist from the previous thread, I think I'll reroll a new character as someone said, what I get with lore bard is too fucking different.

Lets hope my GM doesn't get too upset, wish me luck.
>>
I'm going to play a bladelock and I'm looking for pictures of infernal- or demonic-looking weapons for reference.

But most of the ones I find are shit, with piss-poor balance, unnecessary pointy bits, retarded blade shapes and so on. Anyone got pictures of fantasy-looking weapons that are also usable?
>>
>>50135708
I'm the DM. Lizardfolk already had a big presence in my setting.
>>
File: 1753340408292.jpg (459KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1753340408292.jpg
459KB, 1600x1200px
Hey I am looking to play a Jeeves type buttler character. What would be the most fun class to play this char in?
>>
>>50135788
>looking for realistic infernal- or demonic-looking weapons
Good luck

Next time search for realistic pictures of angels, gnomes and fairies
>>
File: That Fucking Cat.png (94KB, 255x189px) Image search: [Google]
That Fucking Cat.png
94KB, 255x189px
>>50135788
>bladelock
>>
>>50135846
I'm not looking for realistic shit. I'm looking for shit that won't kill the wielder first.
>>
>>50135839
Rogue or Bard, accept no substitute.
>>
>>50135865
With good rolls bladelocks can be as good as any other class.
>>
>>50135867
>infernal, abyssal, bladelock
>won't kill the wielder first

You're playing a subclass all about getting yourself killed
With patrons all about trading away your life for power

And you don't want to die first

>>50135839
Lore bard.
>>
When I finally get to play as a PC I am going to make a Big Boss lizardfolk and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me
>>
>>50135708
>You're a slave to snake-Jesus
What?
They have like different gods and it says in the lore that many purebloods don't want to get back to being a low class citizen at home when they are ok in human society and go rogue.
>>
Is it true that it's possible to survive and win battles in 5e without relying on magic items? Are martials viable now? Honest question. I'm considering a switch from PF.
>>
>>50135708
Yuan ti learn to fake emotion, and one of their flaws? is that they can occasionally feel twinges of it.
>>
>>50135954
I wanna make a cute snake girl feel twinges of emotion
>>
>>50130817
Not entirely sure about the scaling, might do, might not. If you Play Lost Mines before, then simply jump directly to chapter 5 of Hoard. Have Leosin Erlanthar or Ontharr Frume approach the characters after they've gained some notoriety for discovering the Spellforge and hire them to follow a shipment of loot stolen by the cult. They end up in a Roadhouse north of the Mere of Dead Men, and there it goes.

Alternatively, you could have Phandalin be raided while the PCs are in town, assuming they've grown to care about the people there. You would have to scale things up, yes, but not that much, the module is already pretty harsh.
>>
>>50135880
I was thinking rouge aswell, idk about bard I feel like it was Wooster that did most of the actual singing
>>
>>50135954
I must of missed this section of the book. Where does it list the flaws and personality traits of the yuan-ti purebloods?
>>
>>50135708
What makes Lizardfolk OP?
>>
>>50135937
Not nessecary, but the magic items in 5e are pretty simple and fun to own. All of the marital classes are viable in their own way (Except maybe the Monk), but the gap is still there. 5e has far less number crunching and fewer splats, but what's there is easy to homebrew. You can write up a decent and balanced archetype for your favorite class in like twenty minutes.
>>
>>50136014
Page 98 and 99
>>
>>50135937
Yes and yes. Spells are no longer a garuntee of power, and the gaps between the classes are a lot smaller.

Magic items are optional, though it's mainly up to the DM to have them present. You don't need a Christmas tree of gear to be hitting though
>>
>>50134791
>>50135862
>>50133662
Agreed, 5e is explicitly lower power, far more similar in powerlevel to ad&d.
Out of curiosity, if one wanted a 4e or 3e powerlevel campaign in 5e, is there a way to accomplish that?
I feel like the starting point would be more common magic, bonus feats, and maybe adding some fraction of level to certain Scores to increase the gap between levels. Perhaps change the scaling speed of the proficiency bonus?

>>50135958
>>50134017
You can see about a Mile off on flat land before horizon, iirc.
You could see further if no curvature of earth

>>50136098
>>50134323
There are nonevil Drow.
>Church or Eilistraee.
>Church of the Masked Lady (Eilistraee/Vhaeraun hybrid).

Vhaeraunites are typically evil, but far less backstabbing than lol that worshippers, and are willing to work off others if they have cause.

A Drow raised by nondrow is fairly unlikely to be evil.

Individual Drow have individual tendencies, and may be amenable to different views. Example: Liriel Baenre.
And depending on your timeline, one of the following is true:

A portion of the Drow don't have fiendish blood, and for them the evil is entirely learned behavior, no evil nature that they would even have to strive against.

Dark Elves are a thing again as of 138x DR. Stats as high Elves, but with Drow weapons and languages. High magic separated them from the Drow curse.
>>
>>50136136
Thank you very much. I'll check it out once I get a chance to. I'll need to know plenty on them when I make my yuan-ti pureblood sorcerer spy.
>>
>>50135887
With good rolls, you should play a monk or a paladin or a barbarian instead.

.. Or just a warlock that isn't a bladelock, because that's a direct upgrade.
>>
>>50136162
>Out of curiosity, if one wanted a 4e or 3e powerlevel campaign in 5e, is there a way to accomplish that?
Refluff everything. Then nerf non-heroic entities.
>>
>>50134865
Like the happiest person you'll ever see
>>
What is wrong with bladelocks?
>>
>>50134791
>>50135971
>What are the biggest pitfalls of this system and how can I work around them?
Matter of opinion, but:
>1. Lack of character options.
>2. Very limited feat slot access.
>3. Game assumes almost no magic items in-setting.
>4. Chosen power level is basically drawn-out e6 with scaled down monsters. Much lower than past 2 editions, may not suit the kind of game you want to run.
>>
>>50136162
There's a shorter rests option in the DMG
>>
>>50136247
I hear they're a crappier to me lock, but then I hear mention of crossbow bladelock being awesome.

So I dunno
>>
>>50136247
Warlock has access to Eldritch Blast, a 120ft range Cantrip that deals 1d10 force damage

they can get an invocation that allows them to add their CHA modifier to EBlast.

Eblast, like all damaging cantrips, scales by character level.

Bladelock revolves around using a weapon that probably does less damage than your EBLast, and has waay less range, and non-force damage,

You also need to use invocation slots to get essential blade pact features.

Bladelocks also get no form of increased survivability
>>
>>50136276
>>50136291
If so, how do we fix bladelocks?
>>
Wtf bards don't even have to play their instruments to use them as a focus=?
>>
File: yuan ti.png (700KB, 1402x296px) Image search: [Google]
yuan ti.png
700KB, 1402x296px
>>50136180
They're intended to be used for NPC design but can easily be used for PCs.
>>
>>50136306
>If so, how do we fix bladelocks?
Get 2 levels of a Martial class, fighter or Palla
>>
>>50136247
Do you want:

A) A pact that makes you better at melee (Shillelagh), gives you the ability to increase everybody's skill checks by 1d4 (Guidance), allows you to use vicious mockery, et cetera

B) A pact that gives you an invisible familiar that acts independently of you and can grant free advantage every turn with almost no risk

C) the ability to create a weapon as an action, which you have proficiency in, when warlocks are trash for melee fighting anyway?

Go figure, C) sucks ass.
And then they unlock extra invocations:
A) gives you the ability to have any rituals you want from anybody.
B) .. Nothing of too much interest.
C) Gives you damage boosts to attempt to keep up (And often fail to keep up with, except sometimes) eldritch blast's damage, even though you already have access to eldritch blast and all its invocations

Then, why do you want to engage in melee combat on the class with one of the best ranged options?
Then, why do you want to engage in melee combat on a class that's relatively squishy in melee?

If you want to be a bladelock, don't.
Be a tomelock.
Shillelagh + Booming blade / Green flameblade.
Get levels in paladin.
>>
>>50136306
Give them some feature to let them heal when they hit enemies. Maybe also make their pact blade count as magic.

That helps with survivability and their damage being resisted.
>>
Does Mystic Arcanum count against a warlock's spells known?
>>
>>50136306
pact of blade itself needs to provide more boni than just an always available weapon with proficiency. also some more defensive invocation options
>>
>>50136306
I give them medium armor and shield proficiency, which helps a bit probably.

other than that, I dunno. maybe an invocation that lets them cast a cantrip/spell and then make an attack with their bonus action

also multi-classing, but that doesn't fix the problem with bladelock itself being bad. Honestly even with Multi-Classing fighter or pally or something you'd be better off with tome or chain
>>
>>50136306
We remove the option.

Simple.

I've seen many, many solutions suggested, and not any one of them is better than simply just removing the bladelock pact.

Instead, an entirely new class should be made, but then again we already have paladins, EKs, rangers, bladesingers and what-have-you.

>>50136340
Nothing suggests it should.
>>
>>50136210
That gives you minions. More or less handles 4e at low levels, I suppose.

Doesnt handle the power curve of 4e being steeper, and doesn't even touch on 3.x power level.

3.x power level has a similar power curve to 4e in terms of difference between levels, but the big difference there us the much larger variety of powers and staying power of characters for limited use abilities. Along with very common magic items, of course, which is relatively easy to do in 5e.

>>50136271
Helps with the staying power, for sure. Potential starting point.
>>
>>50136338
That is a poor usage of sarcasm.
>>
>>50136350
That's not bladelock

that's
'Pact of the fighter proficiencies'

Because that doesn't make bladelock any less trash, that just inserts a pact option that says 'You get +4 AC', which overpowers the other pacts for combat usage yet is incredibly boring.
>>
>>50136357
>We remove the option.
>rather make an entirely new class instead of fixing that one archetype
thats fucking retarded.
>>
>>50136276
crossbow bladelock being "awesome" has absolutely nothing to do with bladelock, it's all thanks to hand crossbow, Sharpshooter and Crossbow Expert. You also need 20 in Dex and Cha to be "awesome", and together with those 2 feats is not an easy task to achieve.

>>50136306
>>50136247
Main problem is their squishiness, but you have to be careful when improving it because you can fall in the bladesinger trap, giving it defense doesn't make melee more appealing than EB

Second problem is that, unless HEAVY optimizing, EB is better 24/7 and tomelock is a better meleelock

Is not easy to fix and probably we'll never be able to fix
>>
What's a credible threat that could take over an Elven City, driving it's people into refugee status?
>>
>>50136381
It's what valor bard does, what shouldn't blade locks get the same treatment?
>>
>>50136384
He does have a point though. It kinda needs an overhaul from the ground up so it scales properly, has good utility, and helps survive in melee without people just taking it so they can get extra AC while they sit back and blast.
>>
>>50136381
>God why are you bothering to give Valor and Blade bards Medium Armor and Shield Proficiency, you're just making them into fighters
>>
>>50136338
>Give them some feature to let them heal when they hit enemies. Maybe also make their pact blade count as magic.
Why not EB at distance? you already can do that with EB, which btw deals unpreventable damage unlike magic melee weapons
>>
>>50136389
A green dragon?
>>
>>50136350
>I give them medium armor and shield proficiency
Why stops them from using EB and ignore melee with those "fixes"?
>>
>>50136389
Orcs
Dragons
Demons
Humans
An alliance of Orcs and Humans riding Dragons and commanding Demons.
>>
>>50136316
Very interesting. I'm definitely going to take this stuff into consideration when making my character.
>>
>>50136414
>>50136411
Except Valor gets Warmagic
>>
>>50136389
The elves themselves fucking things over as they usually do in any given fantasy setting.
>>
>>50135248
Nigga there's basically no such thing as a short sword, and 5e's shortest knife is a dagger. Scimitars are popular in fiction as dual wielded, rapiers are paired with nothing or a shorter weapon in fiction.

You want a slashing version of the rapier? Just ask the DM to let it be slashing instead.
>>
>>50136388
>Main problem is their squishiness, but you have to be careful when improving it because you can fall in the bladesinger trap, giving it defense doesn't make melee more appealing than EB
>Second problem is that, unless HEAVY optimizing, EB is better 24/7 and tomelock is a better meleelock
so a) whatever is done needs to be restricted to pact of blade specifically and b) to attacking with a melee weapon

so that >>50136338
>Give them some feature to let them heal when they hit enemies
sounds like a good start
>>
>>50136389
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Ityak-Ortheel
>>
>>50136411
>>50136414
>pacts
>anything like bard colleges

That's just fucking wrong
Just because they're both at level 3 doesn't make them equal in importance.

Warlocks get a choice that isn't quite as powerful at level 1

They then get another choice at level 3, which is more of a utility splashed with a bit of combat utility.

Valor actually follows up with useful combat utility (Extra attack is actually useful because they don't have an all-powerful cantrip and they don't get GFB/BB normally, unless they spend one of their few magical secrets as a valor bard)
Lore gives features like the ability to decrease an attack's to-hit by a bardic inspiration die. That's a big deal in comparison to 'you get a few cantrips' or the like.
I'm not saying pacts aren't good, but the bardic college is a bigger deal.
>>
>>50136415
Because, like I said, you would be able to heal when you smack people with the sword.

To make the blade worthwhile it needs some incentive. Making it magic puts it more on par with force as far as damage type goes, and letting it leech life from enemies means you can trade blows for longer, or at least be encouraged to run in an stab someone to heal yourself.

I don't think that would be the only changes needed, but they're a good starting point to at least give it a purpose.
>>
>>50135563
NPCs die at 0HP unless whatever drops them to 0 intended for the damage to be nonlethal.

PCs get death saves because they are heroes.
>>
File: 1456220333581.jpg (19KB, 210x182px) Image search: [Google]
1456220333581.jpg
19KB, 210x182px
I used to run a four person group. I've always been a little worried that combats are taking too long because players always get bored during other peoples' turns. Tonight we got a new guy, who summons even more creatures for me to control during combat. I take the turns as fast as possible, but no matter what I do, at the end of combat people are always obviously relieved just to be done with it.

How can I keep combat fast? I want this game to be more entertaining than excruciating, and I'm worried that my players are secretly thinking its the second when they tell me it's the first. It's only getting worse as they gain levels.
>>
>>50136338
>>50136456
>feature that lets them heal whenever they kill someone

There is a feature that gives them THP when they kill someone. Fiend patron, Dark One's Blessing.

And the weapon does count as magical. And an existing magic weapon can be made into a pact weapon.

What the fuck is wrong with you people.
>>
>>50136514
Both of the people you just quoted said HIT, not kill. Important distinction.
>>
>>50136503
There is a crazy system where everybody decides their actions before everybody acts.

Basically, there is no turns. Everybody decides something to do, and then rolls initiative.
>>
>>50136475
>>50136456

Why not make it instead of every hit they gain life into: When the bladelock reduces a creature to 0 hp or lower with their pact weapon they gain a temporary hit die to to their HP that must be reduced before their health is damaged. This ability does not constantly heal them, rewards them for focusing on getting as much damage on their blade as possible, and allows them to sustain.
>>
>>50136514
>Kill

I said hit, not kill. Fiend gives you temp up on a kill. This should give you healing on a hit.

Do you not get the difference
>>
>>50136514
Nothing what you said makes going on melee with a weapon desirable compared to EB
>>
>>50136503
>>50136531
To clarify, it will take longer, probably. However, it will essentially be everybody's turn for longer.
>>
>>50136533
>>50136514
>>
>>50136338
>Maybe also make their pact blade count as magic.
They already are considered magical. Having them heal on a hit is an interesting idea, though it shouldn't be a lot. What I'd do is just give them Lifedrinker by default and for free.
>>
>>50136533
Fiend patron already exists
>>
>>50136514
>I can go into melee, risk my life and deal less damage OR I can fire this awesome shit that literally takes no brains to use, deals more damage and can't be resisted while stay safe at distance and benefit from the same shit
Mmmm, your arguments are compelling
>>
>>50136306
They need an extra attack and a way to boost damage from melee attacks beyond GFB.

I would probably give them Extra Attack at 5, and the option to cast eldritch blast for a guaranteed hit on the enemy they strike with their weapon as a bonus action using a spell slot. I would probably also give them the ability to cast eldritch blast without disadvantage 5ft from an enemy.
>>
>>50136569
Lifedrinker doesn't heal you, and it comes at 12th level
>>
>>50136565
>>50136573

Yeah, completely forgot that was 5e. Sounded familiar in my head. Oh well, now I'm a little less stupid.
>>
>>50136312
Yeah.
It'd be kind of bullshit if one caster class randomly had to use both hands to use their focus when all the others only need one (or even none for shield holy symbols).
>>
>>50136591
>to cast eldritch blast for a guaranteed hit on the enemy they strike with their weapon as a bonus action using a spell slot
You know they only have like 2 spell slots till 11th level, right?
>>
>>50136432
>>50136423
>>50136451
>>50136459

Thanks guys, my idea for the political backdrop is Elves have been taking refuge at a Human City for years since the loss of their city. At first it went well and the two races benefited each other greatly

The elves of course took their sweet time carefully planning the recapture over decades which begins to create tension between the two races. The human leader that originally welcomed them in lies on his deathbed, and no one knows for sure what will happen when he passes.

The Elves are also divided, some growing upset at seeing their young starting to adapt unfavorable human tendencies. It's basically becoming a race against time to get the Elves resettled, and calm the growing animosity between the two races
>>
>>50136340
No, spells known is for your Pact Magic feature.
>>
>>50136573
Fiend patron doesn't make bladelock more desirable than going EB
>>
>>50136479
Some NPCs are heroes though.
Like, I'm running SKT, if Harshnag somehow goes down he's getting death saves.
>>
>>50136456
The damage needs to be better than eb damage, and something would need to be done to make up for the removal of safety given by being a Ranged attacker. Not to mention not needing to get into position to attack. Otherwise, why take it?

Healing on hit helps deal with one of these three.

But what's the point, offensively?

And what do I get to make up for having to get into position all the time?
>>
>>50136595
I'd overrule that prerequisite and just let them have it. Then it'd be actually worth it to go into melee, because they'd be doing 1d8+6~8 damage. And even then, without extra attacks, EB would still be better at high levels, so that's when you give them the actual Lifedrinker invocation: heal half your Cha mod on a hit.
>>
>>50136637
Is allowing them to add Eldritch Blast damage to their attacks too much?
How about limiting its scaling?
>>
>>50136631
I didn't say it did. I'm saying his suggestion of temp hp on a kill already exists and doesn't fix anything
>>
>>50136503
Reduce hp. Give enemies extra attacks.
>>
Warlocks should lose Eldritch Blast. It's shit and cancer and overpowered and forces them to take the most optimized choices and cucks the player and makes him that guy.
>>
>>50136664
He said HEAL on hit, not Temporal HPs, big difference
>>
>>50136455
>Nigga there's basically no such thing as a short sword
There is, actually, it's called a sword. Know those bronze swords used back in rome? Those, in DND terms, are short swords, but in real life we just call them swords.
Oh and its not just fiction where rapiers get nothing or a smaller weapon, it's real life. Rapiers by themselves are for fencing, and pirates used to dual wield rapiers and main gauches.
Also wtf does any of that have to do with what I said? All I said was that in real life, scimitars are big curved swords, and falchions are smaller curved swords, and in DND scimitars are small curved swords, and falchions are twohanded curved swords.
>>
Here we go again with bladelock discussions

Yet nobody realizes

Pact of the blade just shouldn't exist

The way everybody treats it, they treat it like 'if you take this, you gain a bunch of melee bonuses'

When really it should be

'If you take this, you get a bunch of bonuses that might not be +AC or +damage or straight up boosts to combat but give you utility that might help in and out of combat, especially in melee'

As long as eldritch blast exists and the level 1 + 3 options exist, bladelock just shouldn't be a thing.

The patron option at level 1 is not significant enough nor suited to making a bladelock.
The level 3 option is not of the right sort to make a bladelock.
Eldritch Blast will always be lurking above.

Instead, a variant warlock needs to be made.

Say, the variant warlock does not get eldritch blast, but they can still use BB/GFB, they get extra attack for free at level 5, etc.
They also get invocations that grant them improved survivability for melee situations, and they'll have an extra invocation since they don't need agonizing blast.

They'll still get a choice at level 1 and level 3.

Heck, they'll probably even get medium armour proficiency, though probably not shields.

Then, replace pact of the blade with a PROPER pact.
>>
>>50136650
If you depend on a 12th level feature to stop being squishy as fuck, just give up.
>>
>>50136503
Ask the group upfront if they think combat takes too long.
If yes, ask the guy to play something else.
Beyond that, smaller groups of enemies that hit harder work (so use higher CR) or alternatively you could use minimum HP values for enemies but maximum damage (although static damage can be boring so maybe just roll a d4 and take that off the maximum or something).
>>
>>50136651
Somehow incorporating eldritch blast into their attacks could work.

Number crunching in excel would need to be done.

Keep in mind your goal would be to make it better than Eb in some respects, but worse in others, so which one to build for should be a tough choice, rather than Eb being the obvious answer
>>
>>50136672
>warlocks should lose the only spell that lets them function even a little
Also, we should increase 4 elements ki cost and ranger pet scaling.
>>
>>50136672
>best option on a class incentivize focusing on it, when nothing else they could build for keeps up.
>get rid of it so instead they have to exclusively choose between a bunch of shitty options, Instead.

Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>50136533
>This ability does not constantly heal them, rewards them for focusing on getting as much damage on their blade as possible, and allows them to sustain.
i really dislike on-kill effect. it's great on trash, fucking useless against powerful enemies (the ones where you would need it the most) and in a lot of cases you get the bonus only then when youre already winning or the fight is already over.

thats why on-hit is better.

>>50136514
what kind of dense retard are you?

>>50136637
well, i said it sounds like a good start for blade-exclusive survivability. i didnt say this should be all thats done about bladelock
>>
>>50136704
>A variant warlock should be made
And if it isn't desirable it will be just like Human and Variant Human, one will always be picked before the other. Just because you removed EB from variant Warlock doens't make variant Warlock desirable.

Just because you remove FoB and Martial Arts from Wot4e doesn't make Wot4e a desirable choice.
>>
>>50136695
>D&D weapon terminology is unintelligible nonsense that contradicts any real world categories.

Yes, and? Wotc has shown no interest in fixing it.
>>
>>50136672
>EB
>Overpowered
Pfffhahahah, it deals 4d10+20, that's 41 on average, that's the damage a monk, the weakest DPR martial in 5e, deals.
>>
>>50136704
Bladelock was made solely to shut up the memers who wanted soulblades back. So, they brought it back, just as shitty as ever.
>>
So a little while ago I stumbled upon an homebrewed extended weapons list that had a War Censer in it, which was essentially a flail, but the head was full of burning incense.

Anybody have it by chance? My dumb ass didn't save it when I found it.
>>
>>50136721
Yeah right? And we should remove all the casting foci and make casters track their components.
>>
>>50134791
>Have you made any characters with the new races? What are they?

My DM made me a Level 5 Aasimar Light Domain cleric, which I elected to be a worshiper of Demogorge, He Who Sits At His Throne At The Heart of The Sun, Devourer of Idle Gods, Enlightnement be with all Infidels

It was pretty fun. I never played a DPS before and it was a cave crawler with a few hummies, so I was all like RACIAL LIGHT, CLASS LIGHT, DAYLIGHT, RADIANT SOUL LIGHT, FAERIE FIRE LIGHT, GUIDING BOLT AND F-F-F-F-FIREBALL

One man rave with thaumaturgy and since I never played DPS before, I had a fucking blast.
>>
>>50136503
>5e
>summoner pc

nigger wtf are you doing
>>
>>50136755
Hey man. Soul blades can be awesome. One of the better melee classes in Pathfinder.
>>
>>50136755
Except bladelock is based on clawlocks and glaivelocks from 3.5 which were by far the best way of being a warlock.
>>
>>50136754
>a monk, the weakest DPR martial
Are we talking about without Quivering Palm Technique because THE ONLY SAVE-OR-DIE is kinda outside the calibration
>>
>>50136704
i see no reason why this can not just be turned into an improved pact of the blade.
>>
>>50136706
Pact of the Blade
>You gain proficiency with medium armor (maybe shields too).
>When you hit a creature with your pact weapon, the creature takes extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
>At 11th level, whenever you hit a hostile creature, you regain HP equal to half your Cha mod (rounded up).
>Keep the Extra Attack invocation tax at 5th, or just give it to them at 6th. Though with BB/GFB they might not need it.

Funny enough, I think in the end, BB/GFB are actually makes up for EB.
>>
>>50136744
It's desirable because you get an extra invocation, extra AC and better close-quarters fighting.

It's much better than what we have now, anyway.

The Wot4e analogy doesn't work at all.
What's happening here is 'pact of the blade' is being removed entirely, and warlocks are given a level 1 decision 'You either get eldritch blast, or you get medium armour proficiency, maybe a melee weapon proficiency or something and you get extra attack at level 5'

>>50136755
It only made more arguments.
>>
>>50136791
Yeah, because it wasn't made by Paizo, just like psionics in general.
>>
>>50136808
>irrelevant digression
Who made it has no bearing on the claim that it can't be done well, which is what I was refuting.
>>
>>50136795
You mean the feature that 99% of time doesn't exist because it appears on levels only 1% of groups play?
>>
>>50136780

>have a munchkin who only engages during fights on the party
>"You open the door to see 16 bullywogs worshiping the statue of a dark god"
>You can practically hear her boner hit the table
>I role higher than her
>"Fireball"
>They all die
>Flashlight man down the tunnel
>Two hours later we finally get ambushed by another combat encounter.
>Enemy gets a surprise round. Every one is restrained
>Excuse me
>RADIANCEOFDAWN
>terminatornuke.npg
>only three frogs survive
>"now for my bonus action.."
>Munchkin is now frothing at the mouth
>"WOULD YOU KINDLY FUCK AND LEAVE SOME FOR THE REST OF US?"

I have never played a DPS before, and Gods, now I know what I've been missing
>>
>>50136803
>and warlocks are given a level 1 decision 'You either get eldritch blast, or you get medium armour proficiency, maybe a melee weapon proficiency or something and you get extra attack at level 5'
And people will pick EB without even thinking because that has been proven to be better than extra attack and medium armor everytime.
>>
>>50136316
> 6 or 7
> 5
> 4! or 2
> 1

Snek waifu is WotC's magical realm.
>>
>>50136803
Is this a joke? has to be a joke
>>
>>50136611
They also do decent damage with it, and recover on a short rest. It's not perfect but a thing least makes hem the best combat Warlock.
>>
>>50136112
Paladin is my favorite marital class
>>
>>50136881
They're hardly even snekfus. Apart from the snek tongue and snek eyes traits, they're barely different from a dragon sorcerer in terms of physicality.
>>
>>50136893
If it were me I wouldn't use a spell slot to cast EB on an attack, I prefer Hex and Armor of Agathys by far, you get more damage with those for a longer time.
>>
>>50136803
>>50136704
To add to my idea, I think it should be:

At level 1, you choose between:

Eldritch blast, gain agonizing blast for free at level 2
You have access to specific invocations such as eldritch-blast boosting invocations, and invocations more suited for a less martial warlock.

or you get
Martial weapon proficiency, medium armour proficiency.
You get extra attack for free at level 5.
You get unique invocations (such as at-will 'elemental weapon', though honestly I think more utility-based things would be better, like whip-specific tricks.

>>50136872
Depends on the campaign.

If you're in cramped environments a lot and you don't have a lot of people to back you up, extra AC, more invocations that can help and all that can prove better.

Bladelock can utilitize magical weapons better, usually. Kinda depends on if your DM throws you blasting wands or whatever.

Eldritch blast has disadvantage at 5ft.

GFB/BB deals more damage if you can get the secondary effects off.

And usually, you'll have a party where you can sit at the back and eldritch blast and you can all run off together.
However, even with pact of the blade being ultra-shite right now, people STILL insist on going bladelock.
So, people will pick it, and it won't be as much of a trap.

There are situations where it's good, more than the current bladelocks.
>>
File: 1464_el_cid_campeador.jpg (511KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1464_el_cid_campeador.jpg
511KB, 1024x768px
>>50136852
Is my group the only one that likes to start at level 15 and go up from there
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 350x467px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 350x467px
How do I build him? He is clearly a conjurer, right?
>>
>>50136964
Yes.
>>
File: 1372375810155.gif (67KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1372375810155.gif
67KB, 230x230px
>>50136970
I don't know why people like to play mudfarmers who's only options are "single melee attack" or "cantrip"
>>
>>50136965
Movie version? Yeah.
Comic version? Warlock.
>>
>>50136964
Pretty much, in 16 years playing D&D, in every edition, I've never played beyond 11th level, and had many groups.
>>
>>50136964
My group used to do that too, when we were 15 years old
I can see skipping levels 1 or 2 but half the charm of D&D is playing as a weak character that every monster could shit on, that society shits on, and who survives against the odds with their quirky and semi-competent band of weird and unfashionable friends
>>
>>50136940
Well, technically that table is for Y-T in general, even if only purebloods get PC stats in the book.
>>
>>50136988
Most people don't like to play demigod power-wank games all the time.
>>
>>50135839

Shadow Monk, Lore Bard or Thief Rogue

>Gentleman Fisticuffs
>Always teleporting to be there with a hot beverage
>Utility skills, no strong specialization, unlike the Master

If you take spells, take stuff like Mending and Prestidigitation
>>
>>50136988
I don't start at 15, but I concur.

Low powered campaign: start at 4 or 5.
Med powered campaign: start at 7 or 8.
High powered campaign: start at 11 or 12.

Starting at 1 is for chumps.
>>
>>50136988
I don't know why people like to skip the beginning 3/4 of the levels. It's like forwarding to the battle at Minas Tirith and playing from there.
>>
>>50136959
>Depends on the campaign.
You don't know how the campaign is going to be at 1st level
>>
File: 1478297575611.jpg (42KB, 438x479px) Image search: [Google]
1478297575611.jpg
42KB, 438x479px
>>50134791
Kobold Bard / Wig Seller
>>
>>50137010
5E is a long way off from demigod levels of power. Even level 20 PCs armed with Legendary gear with a single Epic Boon, which is the strongest I've ever played, which was a one-off boss-rush session that we just did to stress-test the system (i.e. nobody was really roleplaying, we were just seeing if 5E was trash at high levels), a CR14 Death Tyrant nearly caused a party wipe due to petrifaction and nobody really did anything godlike.
>>
>>50136959
>Eldritch blast has disadvantage at 5ft.
Xbow xpert

>GFB/BB deals more damage if you can get the secondary effects off.
GFB: 1d8+5+3d8 plus 3d8+5 = 23 plus 18.5 = 41.5

EB: 4d10+20 = 41

Yeah, soooooooo much more damage than EB
>>
>>50136965
>AoE ethereal shifting spell
>melee combat with conjured weapons and shields.

>teleporting magic item as only way back from etherealness.
>time control amulet.
>intelligent flight cape artifact.

And the bad guys have space warping magic out the wazoo and conjure ethereal spears as weapons.
>>
>>50137023
Because low levels are like tossing a coin and betting your PC life on it.
>>
>>50136965
Abjurer to be honest
>>
>>50137085
That's part of the excitement for me. If I get myself stuck in a situation I need to think of a way out of it and fast or find out about the situation before diving in. Makes me feel even better when I can return to a similar situation and laugh at how it could have once killed me.
>>
>>50136998
>>50137010

I don't see the appeal of this low level rusty dagger shanktown shittery other than as a silly one shot.

Why would you want that to be literally every campaign?

Not saying start at 15, but at least
>>50137021.
>>
Does anyone have any good custom character sheets? I'm playing a barbarian if that matters. form fillable is better if possible :)
>>
>>50137023
Because after playing several games that start at 1st level and die out before you reach 5th, those initial levels get really boring. It's not so much that they aren't fun, it's just that I want to experience the higher level stuff, you know? And by higher level I mean 5th level onwards, not even 15th.
>>
>>50137120
You don't get it, is 100% luck what decides if your char lives or dies at low level not your "thinking", that happens later.
>>
>>50136755
>Bladelock was made solely to shut up the memers who wanted soulblades back.
No it's a hexblade the soulblade will be in the Mystic order of the knife.
>>
>>50134963
Make a whippin' good campaign
>>
>>50137023
I wouldn't start at 15, but I raise an eyebrow any time someone suggests starting below 5.
>>
>>50137130
>>50137120

To me level 3 is a sweet spot to start at.
>>
>>50137146
>hexblade
>anything like warlock
Like what? they are completely different
>>
>>50137121
The journey from budget ratcatchers to the heroes of the realm is part of the fun for some people. Plus suffering the low levels together and growing as a party helps strengthen interparty bonds/roleplay shit.
>>
>>50137121
once you get to a certain level, a lot of the challenges you'll face are of a massive, cosmic/extraplanar scale or generally require major high-fantasy shenanigans. there's nothing wrong with that, but it's nice to have some variety, and variety usually comes in the form of low-level adventures where getting ambushed by a group of peasant-bandits with rusty knives and homemade bows is a legitimate threat.

>>50137144
you are exaggerating by quite a bit
>>
>>50137129
Blank google docs sheet.

Add tables to document where needed.

Best sheets I've ever used.
>>
>>50137144
Not every DM is out to kill their players.
>>
>>50137072
>actually taking crossbow expert on warlock when there are way better things you could be doing with it

At lower levels, the difference in damage is more noticable.
If you're an undying light warlock, green flame blade would be doing 1d8+5+3 damage at level 1-4, compared to eldritch blast being 1d10+3 or so at level 1-4.

About a 50% difference, and that's without even applying green flame blade's secondary effect (Which is only a +3 in that case)
And, yes, they'd be able to get shillelagh.

The damage really isn't anything to argue about, though. That can be adjusted as needed if the loss in damage and ranged utility doesn't justify other bonuses, or if there's too much damage, or whatever.

The overlying thing I'm trying to point out here is that it's stupid to make bladelock determined by a pact choice.

Instead, it should be an 'either eldritch blast, or some proficiencies that help at close range' and each option should have some unique, helpful invocations.
Also, warlock as a whole shouldn't be subjected to invocation taxes like agonizing blast, I feel.
>>
>>50137164
Even in 2E I literally have never run a tabletop below level 3 that didn't end up with everyone there in one session (with the thief and bard usually at 4)
>>
>>50137144
I do get it. As both a DM and a player for years I get it. Luck isn't a 100% factor and planning plays a part in it. At least in the campaigns I run and have enjoyed.

I apologize if you've had DMs that don't give a fuck about your plans and make you roll everything with no positive modifiers, but I give leniency on well thought out plans.
>>
>>50137189
Never thought of that, do you have a link to a read only version of yours? Could you maybe screenshot an example?
>>
>>50137217
Undying light is not official yet, not many GMs allow it.
>>
>>50136503
I have SEVEN players

He only person who complains about long rounds os the guy who beought in a new player when he was DM for a bit

So fuck him
>>
>>50137217
>1d8+5+3 damage at level 1-4, compared to eldritch blast being 1d10+3 or so at level 1-4.
So in your example your meelelock has already 20 on Str or Dex but the EBlock only has a 16 on Cha?

Talking about being biased as fuck...
>>
>>50137231
Logging into my computer to link examples.

Make it look how you want, hyperlinks, it tracks old versions so you can track your level up progression if wanted, etc.

Easy print and export to pdf, and you can let you gm and friends read and content, but not edit, if wanted.
>>
So my PC's instituted a hobgoblin police force in a small town cause they all rolled well on convincing the hobgoblin captain that this would be a better form of conquest. Should I "punish" them by making him the most lawful stupid sheriff ever? Or reward them by making it all turn out better than expected?
>>
>>50137227
No plan survives contact with the enemy, and at low levels where a hit can reduce your whole life to 0 is pretty easy to die due just one bad roll for example not spotting the hidden bugbear that deals +2d6 extra on surprise attacks.
>>
>>50137247
No, I'd forgotten how undying light worked.

The +5 was supposed to be undying light's bonus, but it should've been +3.

Can make that 1d8+4+4 against 1d10+4 instead at level 4 or so, or if you're really going all out for an impractical solution you could say maul for 2d6+3+3 at lower levels. I suppose if they have medium armour proficiency, mauls might actually work but shillelagh still sounds better.
>>
>>50137281
Definitely the second option. Make him the unyielding sheriff that cleans up the streets. The party deserves a reward for this because it's pretty genius.
>>
>>50136908
Plenty of good options for it too. Oath of Vengance is probably the best so far. It's a Jack of several trades, but king of none. Cleric is a better healer, Figher is a better damage-dealer, and Barb is a better tank.
>>
File: 1395753185175.png (650KB, 888x800px) Image search: [Google]
1395753185175.png
650KB, 888x800px
>>50137187
>a lot of the challenges you'll face are of a massive, cosmic/extraplanar scale or generally require major high-fantasy shenanigans
This sounds like some holdover trauma from 3.5 or something. In 5E a level 20 character isn't that much more world-shattering than a level 14 character, they're just rather harder to kill. Even mages don't scale that out of control because they never get more than one 8th level and one 9th level spell a day.
A squadron of four 10th level Champions with +2 swords remain a deadly threat to a level 20 Battle Master with a Vorpal sword.
>>
File: 1471656307369.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471656307369.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
>>50136672
>>
File: immortal wizards.jpg (781KB, 925x2272px) Image search: [Google]
immortal wizards.jpg
781KB, 925x2272px
>>50137323
>Even mages don't scale that out of control because they never get more than one 8th level and one 9th level spell a day.
And yet by 17th level, they can ensure that their entire party is immortal given a little downtime.
>>
>>50137301
>Oath of Vengance is probably the best so far.
Dunno, +Cha to hit every target during 1 minute from devotion seems better than advantage against only one target.
>>
>>50137342
that's nothing
u are like a little baby
>>
>>50137281
My D&D senses tell me that evil races must never be trusted. But don't make them stupid. Their evil remains; they punish stealing by summary execution and the like.
>>
>>50136531
>>50136551
I'm sorely tempted. I don't know how the players would react to it, though -- I proposed adopting "popcorn initiative" once and they all thought it sounded stupid. This sounds simpler than that, though, and I get the feeling they might get a kick out of it.

>>50136785
I'm sorry, I don't follow. Are you referring to me, the DM, or the guy who rolled the character?
>>
>>50137301
I dislike oath of vengeance. Sure, it gives you stuff like hunter's mark and haste, but it's really just a selfish option for a very non-selfish class.

ancient's and devotion's auras do somewhat clash with aura of protection in that you don't need charm protection quite as much when you have +5 to saves, but they're still useful.

As such, I rather like ancients.

Paladin is great at party buffs with their auras, and can use their concentration on something like bless instead of the vengeance paladin spells.
>>
>>50137342
Time and more importantly finances you will not have.
>>
Player is making a GoO-Warlock pact of the chain, Would it be suitable to let them have a Gazer?

Seems a little strong since those beams are quite potent in combat, but the beams are random so as fun as it is they can't be counted on every turn also Gazers are pretty weak so a couple attacks directed at it will drop it.
>>
>>50137281
Isn't that pretty similar to what hobgoblins already do when they conquer? Apart from killing a healthy amount of people who might be able to fight back, they basically institute themselves like military police to keep their conquered peoples in check. Have the hobgoblins be brutally efficient with their justice but not necessarily unfair.
>>
>>50136754
The average is 42, you filthy casual
>>
>>50137342
>immortal
Demiplanes can be found and clones can be slain. You still can't go and moon Asmodeus.
>>
>>50137247
Warlock with 16 Str/Dex and 18 Cha, at level 5, with GFB.
Weapon: 1d8/2d6+3+1d8 (avg 12/14) + 1d8+4 (avg 8) to second target
EB: 2d10+8 (avg 19)
With Hex, EB pulls closer again, going to avg 26 against GFB's 24/26 total damage to two targets.
With Extra Attack instead of GFB, we get 2d8/4d6+6 +2d6 (avg 22/27)
>>
>>50137374
>finances
>literally costs nothing

>wizards
>not having time

Your character is bound to have time at some point where they're not slaying dragons 24/7.
>>
Are any of the new races too strong/weak?
>>
>>50137416
Hobgoblins are a bit weak, a lot of them are a bit strong.

But in practice they're all probably fine.
>>
>>50137249
Awesome, thanks man!
>>
>>50137416
yaun-ti is completely absurd

fetishists are complaining about kobolds/goblins not being very good but their opinions don't matter
>>
>>50137342
Even in my high level campaigns, I've never seen a DM allow Wish.
>>
>>50137439
kobolds are pretty good thanks to pack tactics
>>
>>50137459
>allow

uh, anon
I don't think you understand that the spell isn't optional.
>>
>>50137472
Rule Zero, anon.
>>
How would you homebrew a class to fulfill the want for:
>Another int-based class
>Alchemists
>Artificiers
>Psions
>>
>>50137502
uh... the Mystic?
>>
>>50137502

You already have alchemists, they are called Transmutation Wizards
>>
>>50137297
>>50137379
>>50134791

I'm thinking a bit of both, like maybe near the beginning of next session we see him threatening death penalties for everything, but then maybe have new stronger foes that would have destroyed the town show up that him and his men push back?
>>
>>50137502
If go for an Warlord class with the option to use a different mental stat for different subclasses.
>>
>>50137483
i mean you might as well ban the capstone of every other class, while you're at it.
>>
>>50134791
Not a player, but, as a DM, I've used them as basis for a band of monstrous adventurers who're basically a "properly D&D take" on Dungeon Meshi - that is, they want to find the most delicious monsters out there and eat them.
>>
Is Intelligence useless in this system for non-Wizards?
It doesn't seem like it gets used for very much, even less than Strength.
>>
How to best do a Light Cleric?

I feel like they lack a reliable damage option, despite them being the "blasty" cleric.

Sacred Flame, even with +Wis later on, is pretty lame. A Wis based firebolt would be neat
>>
>>50137406
I think it's not so much having time to cast it, but having time to mature the clone. Even with Wish, many things can happen in 120 days...

>>50137459
You just gotta make sure they know the Monkey's Paw is real.
>>
>>50137584
Depends on the campaign, but a lot of the times, yeah. Most people use perception in cases where investigation might/should be used.
>>
>>50137472
I ban wish or have my players mod it and run their mods by me.
You can literally become an immortal being with 30/30/30/30/30/30 stats, resistance to every damage type, 28d20 hit die, legendary saves...
Just run how you're gonna use it by me, and if it's fine you can do it, if not I'm gonna veto.
Preferably just let me ban it - it's not like you're lacking on good 9th level spells.
>>
>>50137574
Wish isn't the capstone of sorcerers or wizards though.
Arguable that it's the capstone of clerics, but even then they can only do their version of Wish once a week.
>>
>>50137584
EKs and ATs
>>
File: 1468287752480.jpg (16KB, 220x202px) Image search: [Google]
1468287752480.jpg
16KB, 220x202px
>>50137624
>Wish isn't the capstone of sorcerers or wizards though
>>
>>50137548
Oh fug I replied OP instead of >>50137363
I am excited to get a chance to use iron shadows as police though regardless if they are good ever present protectors or evil ever present secret police.
>>
>>50137641
>hitting your capstone at level 17
???
>>
>>50137620
>The DM has great latitude in ruling what occurs in such an instance; the greater the wish, the greater the likely hood something goes wrong. This spell might simply fail, the effect you desire might only be partly achieved, or you might suffer some unforeseen consequence as a result of how you worded the wish.
Trying to use Wish to achieve the kinds of things you mentioned is literally giving the DM carte blanche to fuck with your character.
>>
>>50137620
Have them become pic related
>>
File: 1472794029528s.jpg (3KB, 125x111px) Image search: [Google]
1472794029528s.jpg
3KB, 125x111px
>>50137698
>17th level isn't the capstone of wizards/sorcerers
>18th level isn't the capstone of bards
>>
>>50137701
You can do those things I mentioned in my post simply by copying lower level spells.
>>
>>50137628
AT?
>>
>>50137548
Threatening? I think the PCs should arrive to catch him in process of executing someone, or cutting someone's hands off. Maybe a friendly NPC suddenly shows up, out of breath, and urgently tells the party what the hobgoblin is about to do. The second part is good, though.
>>
>>50137728
>immortal being with 30/30/30/30/30/30 stats, resistance to every damage type, 28d20 hit die, legendary saves
Do enlighten me, how?
>>
>>50137620
How do you do all that without the DM dicking you over
>>
>>50137249
>>50137231
>>50137436

Not all are finished, not all are polished. Here's a wide array of examples, sorted by system. Some of the sheets are made by other people I've played with.

But regardless of the degree of polish:
>Room for whatever you need.
>You and GM can see your sheet at all times.
>Saves old versions between edits.
>Can print if desired.
>Can alter template if desired.
>Can hyperlink for multiple documents or to online sources if desired.

>4chan thinks its spam because short urls.
http://pastebin.com/Bg5Q6Xni

As you might imagine, our table typically doesn't have a bunch of paper on the table, so much as like, 8 people with laptops.

Only downside is that the combat grid in the middle of the table can be obnoxious to get to sometimes.
>>
File: 1474242133976.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1474242133976.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>50137718
>>
>>50137436
>>50137231
Let me know what you think.
>>
>>50137777
why not just use roll20 at that point?
>>
>>50137776
How do you make an attack roll without the DM dicking you over? DMs can veto anything. But if the DM doesn't veto anything you can make this work RAW so long as you can 1) get access to wish and be able to cast it once per long rest at least and 2) you live in a world in which metallic dragons exist.
Those are the only two RAW requirements.

>>50137771
It involves magic jar/clone/item creation abuse coupled with metallic dragon shape change.
It's really hilarious but it works RAW.
In no world should you ever allow your players to do it.
>>
>>50137792
>any other feature in the game
>better than 9th level spells
jek
>>
>>50137797
For the battlegrid?

We had considered it, but I have basically only heard negative things about how much of a pain roll20 is to work with, so we use minis.

We'll probably try roll20 as a battlegrid replacement some day.
>>
>>50137797
i have actually never tried roll20.

how does it work?

is it just a replacement for the grid & minis or is it rule enforcement engine?

does it work with any rpg?
>>
>>50137834
>I have basically only heard negative things about how much of a pain roll20 is to work with
It's really fucking easy. I don't know what anyone would bitch about besides the built-in audio, which has nothing to do with the grid maps.
>>
>>50137834
Roll20 is easy as fuck to use unless you're trying to align a map that already has a grid on it, which can be a pain in the ass maybe one tenth of the time.
>>
Top 3 problems with Volo's Guide:
1. LOTS of spelling mistakes. Like, embarrassingly so.
2. Most monstrous races are somewhat OP
3. No stats for Grungs. Dropping the ball here, Wizards.
>>
>>50137818
You mean using magic jar to possess a metallic dragon shapechanged into a humanoid? If so, I don't think it works. Even though the dragon is shapechanged, he's still a dragon, not a humanoid. And if you argue that, since he polymorphed, he is for the moment a humanoid that you can possess, then you possess that humanoid form, which means you can't shapechange into a dragon because that humanoid creature can't polymorph into a dragon.
>>
>>50137950
>Most monstrous races are somewhat OP
It's so ridiculously easy to recognize people with no balance sense.
>>
>>50137958
It does work - type is not one those attributes that the dragon retains when it uses it's shape change feature. It literally only retains those features explicitly listed.
>>
>>50137749
Originally when I was thinking of him being super lawful stupid I wanted to have him draw on a kid for stealing an apple or something, maybe I can still do that just be less edgy.
>>
Can you use kenku sound mimicry while wildshaped?
>>
>>50137902
It's a replacement for the grid. It works for grid and hex-based games. It has a dice rolling engine, a camera and voice system built in, a place to store handouts, information, characters, a way of playing music, etc.

I use it for basically all my gaming because nobody plays 5e in my area.

It takes a bit of learning, but IMO, it's really good. You could probably play wh40k on it if you really wanted and had images and such to represent models.
>>
>>50137961
no you're right Yaun-Ti is completely reasonable
>>
>>50137834
As the other anon said, aligning maps with a pre-made grid can be a pain in the ass, otherwise it's rather easy to learn. You keep everything campaign-related stored there, up to 100MB of maps, tokens, images, etc; plus any number of character and monster sheets. There's even a handy 5e Compendium which allows you to just drag and drop spells and monster sheets.

>>50137902
It's a virtual tabletop. You can have different pages, with or without grid; you can upload tokens or use it's search engine to find some; you can roll virtual dice; you can have sheets and handouts and audio and other handy stuff.

That said, yes, it can probably be used with any system.
>>
>>50138014
That's the only one which is especially strong.
One of six is most? Gets even worse when you look at the "less monstrous" races in there.
>>
>>50137950
Goblins get Cunning Action. Kobolds get advantage on most attacks. Yuan-Ti have SPELL RESISTANCE.
You're right, it is very easy to spot recognize people with no balance sense.
>>
>>50138045
Meant to reply to >>50137961
>>
>>50138014
You mean the gnome with poison immunity and suggestion instead of minor illusion and beast speak?
Woah broken man.
>>
>>50138045
Goblins don't get cunning action, kobolds get effectively nothing but pack tactics (there are a hundred ways to get advantage on attacks), and gnomes also have the same thing as snakemen.
>>
>>50138014
>>50138043
I think overall it's less a matter of OP as much as some of the races being very niche or strong in specialized builds.

Hobgoblin, for example, is great for a Wizard, but really meh for anyone else. Goblin, Kobold, and Bugbear seem to only be talked about for weird gimmick builds.

They all feel very one-dimensional is the big thing.
>>
imo the monster races are perfectly balanced via social stigma making the social aspect of the game harder.
>>
>>50137950
?
>>
>>50138040
Huh. Well, I may have to give it a go then.

I dont think I would prefer its sheets to google docs, but the rest of that sounds pretty good.

I assume I need to have all the maps assembled in advance though, yeah? No ability to spit one out on the spot, mid session?

Can it handle overworld/city scale maps?
>>
>>50138088
he clearly meant PC stats, anon.
>>
>>50138078
Gnomes only get it on Wis, Cha, and Int saves. Which basically reads Wis saves.

Snakes get it on everything, which basically reads Con, Dex, and Wis saves.

Advantage on all saves against any spell? Along with some extra spells and poison immunity? What's not to love?
>>
File: seba.png (121KB, 727x934px) Image search: [Google]
seba.png
121KB, 727x934px
I made a Halfling Ranger recently. I'd like to make this little guy super-effective. I'm playing with the UA Ranger rules. What's a good way to build this guy out? So far the best I've come up with is

Two Weapon Fighting(Dual Scimitars), Beast Conclave, riding a Panther or Giant Wolf Spider mount.

Pic related
>>
>>50138105
>what's not to love
Being a snake.
>>
>>50138045
Goblins can hide or disengage as a bonus action. They can't use it to go fast. They can only duck behind something or walk away from a fight. Invalidated by playing a rogue, a swashbuckler, anyone with mobile, monk, ranger eventually, or really anyone who has a regular use of their bonus action. Not to mention they suffer all of the standard small race drawbacks, save having full speed.
Kobolds are literally impossible to play as anything strength based, and barring that still get no stats beside dexterity. They need to work together with allies to get that advantage, which they should be trying to do and could often get from other sources anyway. Stack normal small race penalties right on top of that.
>>50138079
I feel that bugbear is good, it gives bonuses to the archetypal and essential bugbearry things, just like PHB races. I'll agree that goblin and kobold feel somewhat uninspired as far as the Wrath of the Small and Grovel things go.
>>
>>50138089
You can draw a map mid-session, the default background makes it look whiteboard-y and you can adjust the grid lines to make it look even moreso. It'll probably be a little unwieldy compared to drawing on stuff, but you won't have to reach across everyone's computers to roll dice / etc.

It can handle overworld maps. It has layers like photoshop / etc, but slightly more limited; background layer / objects layer / GM layer(hidden stuff). The only problem with the background layer is, last time I tried to use a tileset, it had trouble with which image went over which, so the map got all screwy. So, maps with lots of overlapping parts are probably a bad idea unless you draw them up beforehand and upload them.

Speaking of which, it also supports pre-drawn maps with a fog of war system. IMO it's pretty neat.

Also, the built-in sheets usually autocalculate things and let you roll off of them in the in-game dice roller, but they misbehave frequently for me.
>>
>>50138107
>super-effective
>Two-weapon fighting
You're level 1 and you already fucked up
>>
we need a race tier list
>>
File: badatmath.jpg (98KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
badatmath.jpg
98KB, 1920x1080px
>>50138169
I haven't taken two-weapon fighting yet, just an idea. I have no idea what I'm doing desu, it's why I'm asking for ideas.
>>
>>50138089
You probably could drop a map during the session, yeah. Might just take a minute or two to scale it. You can also draw one, I don't really like doing that but roll20 gives you that option. Yeah, it handle larger scale maps, but you might have to zoom out a bit too much to get the whole picture if it's too big. Free accounts also have an upload limit of 5MB per image, but I get around that by splitting big maps in half before uploading.
>>
>>50138062
you're leaving out the yaun-ti's other shit and are making a huge leap comparing the gnome's mental resistance to resistance to ALL MAGICAL EFFECTS
>>
>>50138186
God: Variant human
High Top: Volo's aasimar, half-elf
Mid: Most everything else
Low: You know.
>>
>>50138186
Except their effectiveness varies hugely based on class so it would be pointless.
>>
>>50138205
wew lad
>>
>>50138191
TWF is fine, not the best though.

As new ranger I'd reccomend Archery and using a bow and getting sharpshooter eventually. you will shit damage
>>
what's the best way to abuse UA's ranger?
>>
>>50138088
I meant to say "no stats for grungs as player characters." These guys are seriously awesome.
>>
>>50138159
Auto calculating things is nice, but misbehaving not so much, and I suspect it doesn't save everything forever, or save every change made to each sheet so it can be audited/rolled back etc.

Still. I'm going to have to try it out. This seems like it'll give everyone a better view of the battlefield than my current approach. Thanks.
>>
>>50137979
I'm not entirely convinced of how valid that is yet, but first and foremost good luck getting through the dragon's +16 Charisma save and Legendary Resistances.
>>
>>50138193
Is the paid version worthwhile? What does it bring to the table?
>>
>>50138232
You can't abuse it.
If you want to optimize it, take beast master to 5 or 6, fighter to 11, and then whatever else you want.

>>50138254
It does work RAW. Not like it matters though, since any DM in their right mind will simply say "no".
Why would it object to me giving it 30/30/30/30/30/30, immortality, and resistance to every damage type?
Because that's what I'm giving it, in addition to giving it to myself.
>>
>>50138169
Anon said they want it to be super-effective, not that it is. Try giving advice.

>>50138107

I wouldn't automatically go for using the animal companion as a mount. Focusing on a bow is also more advantageous, unless your party needs a front line mobility. That being said, rouges are better at that task so if you really want to play melee ranger that's for you.
>>
>>50138250
No problem! The best part is, it's mostly free. It just puts a cap on uploads, and you miss out on some advanced features like special effects and dynamic fog of war. You can still use music / journals / etc.

So you could try it out the second you're at a computer.
>>
File: froggies.png (498KB, 724x349px) Image search: [Google]
froggies.png
498KB, 724x349px
>>50138245
They're fucking adorable at the very least.
>>
>>50138232
Going through allied creature's spaces count as difficult terrain, which you can ignore from first level as a revised ranger.
>>
Hill Dwarf (+2 Con, +1 Wis)

Life Cleric

Rolled for scores: 17, 12, 15, 18, 11, 10

Str 15
Dex 12
Con 17+2
Int 10
Wis 18+1
Cha 11

I'm in a party so far made up of a Wizard and a Warlock so I might be the only real melee fighter. I'm thinking about taking the perk Resilient (Con) to make it a 20 and gain the Proficiency in Con saving throws to be golden in Concentration checks. Thanks for your feedback.
>>
>>50138332
If you're going to be the only melee combatant but want to fill a healery/support role too do a paladin instead

life cleric is fantastic but should be a secondary frontliner, beside a fighter or paladin or barb or another melee cleric
>>
>>50138268
I haven't paid for it, because I'm a cheap fuck, but was tempted to. Paying for it (it's a subscriber model) you get more storage and a higher upload limit, you can share character sheets between games, dynamic lighting and line of sight for PC tokens (which is kinda cool but felt a bit wonky when I played in a game that used it) and lots of better tokens.
>>
>>50138332
>19 wis and 19 con
>Instead of a 20 and an 18
why?
>>
>>50138332
>>50138358
If you're alone on the front lines, Heavy Armor Mastery will help a lot.
>>
File: beastbond.jpg (144KB, 744x1039px) Image search: [Google]
beastbond.jpg
144KB, 744x1039px
>>50138229
>>50138278
My thought was that since you don't get an extra attack as Beast conclave(the beast gets it), I could take a mount that does good damage and use it's movement to get in close to do the two weapon fighting while mounted. I was thinking of taking Beast Bond as a spell too, which would give my mount advantage on attack rolls as long as I'm mounted or nearby.
>>
>>50138385
Resilient won't boost a score higher than a 20 and I'm really thinking that I'll need the extra health and I want to be proficient in the concentration checks.
>>
>Grudd Haug at level 5
>currently stuck in a doorway with three hill giants, an ogre, and a goblin (plus one dead hill giant, ogre, and two goblins)
>another hill giant, five orcs, and a hobgoblin on the other side
>half the group is at half health
>can't run away or this halfling will get eaten
help
>>
>>50138332
Just imagine if you were a half-elf paladin with those stats...

Str 17+1
Dex 11
Con 15+1
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 18+2

>>50138385
Clearly for Resilient, didn't you read?
>>
When casting a spell with a casting time of more than one turn, can you move while casting? Ex:
>Rope Trick in one action
>climb up into the extradimensional space
>begin casting Leomund's Tiny Hut for nine turns
>exit Rope Trick on the tenth turn and finish Tiny Hut
>>
>>50138428
You're about to get dogpiled by grogs screaming "you can only take Resilient once".
>>
>>50138421
Sometimes you have to let people die to save yourself or die trying. What would your character do?
>>
New thread when
CAPTCHA: cookies!
>>
>>50138383
Can you make/use your own tokens?

Can I use a token or map or handout across several campaigns if I so choose?

Does it have integrated custom random table support?
>>
>>50138441
Depends on the components required. In this case, Tiny Hut is a VSM spell, meaning you need your hands and a focus, which would make it very difficult to cast climbing down the rope. Can you make a Rope Trick that is only 5ft off the ground?
>>
>>50138460
Burn ki to run real far and fast, backflip off a hill giant, throw the halfling in a bag, and powerslide to safety while a sick electric guitar goes wheedlywheedlyweeeeeeeeooow.

But I'm out of ki after Pass Without Trace to get us in undetected and Silence to slaughter the hobgoblins in the guard tower.
>>
>>50138472
Tradition says when we're on p11
>>
>>50138488
"You touch a rope that is up to 60 feet long. One end of the rope rises up until the whole rope is perpendicular to the ground."

So I guess if you only had a five foot length of rope, sure.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (77KB, 549x951px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
77KB, 549x951px
>Triton Paladin
>Lawful Good, near Gaston-like in his brazenness
>adds fancy old timey words like Thee and Thou, cheesey accent (think Kronk from emperor's new groove)
>comical misunderstanding of everything surface world, deep affinity for any sort of aquatic life
>Polearm master, using a Pike flavored as a massive Trident

Oath of Ancients seems the most fitting, perhaps Oath of the Crown?

For Find Steed, what would be thematic? a floating giant sea horse or walrus?
>>
>>50138517
Hippocampus
>>
>>50137231
What did you think?
>>
>>50137057
>a single ray
>randomly selected
>once a turn
>which causes petrification after 2 failed dc 17 dex saves
>almost tpk

Cmon son try harder
>>
>>50138517
Dire penguin.
>>
>>50138517
Giant crab.
>>
File: _3778117.jpg (32KB, 310x229px) Image search: [Google]
_3778117.jpg
32KB, 310x229px
>>50138522
>I call upon the power of the Ocean to provide me with a steed!
>floating pic related

hmm

>>50138529
we're getting closer
>>
Anyone play 5e Adventure in MIddle-earth yet? What's the most fun class?
>>
>>50137281
Thats literally what hobgoblins already do.

Read volos
>>
>>50134791
What does 5eg think of ptolus: city by the spire, and associated adventures?
>>
>>50138480
You can upload your own tokens as well as maps, just keep in mind the 100MB storage limit.

As a DM, you get access to a library with everything you uploaded (or bookmarked in roll20's search thingy) on any campaign you're a DM of. You can also make copies of entire campaigns, along with all the sheets, maps in handouts within.

You can make rollable tables, but I never tried to, so I'm not sure if they're easy to make.
>>
>>50138573
Is the limit much higher if you have a subscription?
>>
>>50137620
Increasing stats isnt in the normal wish

Your wiz biz wishes for great strength? Give him a 50/50 either plus 2 str or he turns into an aurochs
>>
>>50138428
>>50138358
You guys believe it's in my best interest if I roll paladin? I was worried about being the only healer and thought I could also skate by as a cleric in melee.

I'm fairly new to D&D if you couldn't tell, thanks for your input
>>
>>50138583
Not absurdly higher, but yes. I think it goes up to 1 or 2GB.
>>
>>50138592
You don't get stats by wishing for stats. You get stats by making items that you make incredibly easier by using wish to duplicate lower level spells while simultaneously being immortal so that you have the time to make them.
Also you can make a simulacrum army to help you make the magic items you want so long as you get another 9th level spellcaster who also knows wish to help you. Not that you need that when you're temporally immortal though - that would just make things more expedient.
>>
>>50138604
If you're going to be the only melee and another member has magic covered then going as a paladin is in the best party interests. Tanks are helpful and being able to aura boost and stay alive can't be denied. If you don't want to play a pally then don't and continue as a cleric.
>>
>>50138604
Nah, you can be a cleric if you want. Heavy armor and that fuckhuge Constitution should cover for your survivability. But you can heal quite well as a paladin, too, though obviously no one is as good as a life cleric. I have one in my campaign and he's been instrumental to keeping everyone alive thus far.
>>
>>50138604
Paladins are still good at healing, and are more suited for being a solo melee character.

If you go cleric, you'll be pretty mediocre in melee and will generally just be a heal and buff bot in a party that has no one worth buffing really

you guys need a frontliner tanky guy who can do some damage and provide some support, that's Paladin's job description
>>
>>50138692
>>50138671
>>50138655
Just what I needed to hear, thank you kind anons.
>>
>>50138245
+2 dex -2 str
Small
25ft

Amphibious
Standing leap
Poisonous skin
Prof stealth or survival
>>
If there's a physical, solid wall, that vanishes temporarily upon being touched, what kind of magic would be affecting it? Conjuration? Illusion?
>>
>>50135839
Awakened Mystic.
>>
>>50139156
Either.
Could be a transmutation trigger too.
>>
>>50139156
If it's real and it goes somewhere else by teleporting, conjuration. By movement or dissolving or physically changing, transmutation.
If it isn't really there in the first place, it's an illusion.
>>
>-3 from non magical weapons

Does the Heavy Armor Mastery perk lose its effectiveness in the long run? It seems like it might be useful at higher levels if its applied to each individual melee strike
>>
>>50139262
It's not as effective at higher levels, but it's still the equivalent of 3 extra HP for every weapon hit you take, which is always good.
>>
>>50139262
No, it's fucking godlike.
Think about it.
>>
>>50137282
God, fucking Bugbears. They've got a >50% chance of one-shotting any level 1 character if they get surprise. Doubly so if they don't target the tank.
>>
Is there any available information about stats for Dragons in their humanoid forms?
>>
Why the fuck do off-hand attacks take your bonus action? That fucking ruins TWF.
>>
>>50139347

Nevermind, found some info in the monster manual, though it's pretty slim, just that they can become a creature with CR less than or equal to their own.

Nothing about what kind of spells they could have access to, I suppose that'll just be up to me as a DM
>>
>>50139363
Action economy
>>
>>50139285
In my first foray into D&D, with LMoP, the bugbear in the goblin cave killed 3 out of our 6 party members. Our ranger was insta-killed from full health with a crit.
>>
>>50139284
At higher level, 3 damage isn't enough to make a different. It only "godlike" at low level.
>>
>>50139423
Ah... the danger of rusty dagger shank town.
>>
>>50139425
It still adds up. How many attacks do you think you take over the course of an adventuring day? Multiply that by 3, and that's effectively how much extra 'healing' you've gotten along the course of a day.
>>
>>50139425
It's 3 *every hit*. Even if you take 30 damage from a hit (which is massive) you reduce the damage taken by fucking 10%. If you take 15, which is more common, you take 20% less damage.
Compare that to toughness over the course of a game - it's no contest. That's *IN ADDITION* to HAM giving you +1 strength.
>>
>>50139363
No. What ruins TWF is that it doesn't scale up at all as you level. It's great until level 5, but drops off sharply compared to everything else.

It needs to become 2 attacks with a bonus action at level 10 if you have the extra attack feature or something. That would help keep it relevant.
>>
>>50138517
You might know this, but RAW pike is not effected by Polearm Master.
>>
>>50139447
Or you could take 51 elemental damage.
>>
>>50139505
Yeah you could.
And?
Most damage sources in the game by a huge margin are nonmagical piercing, slashing, and bludegoning.
>>
>>50139505
And? Is there something else you'd spend your feat on that would magically make that go away?
>>
>>50139447
At what level are we talking about here? 30 damage is massive? I guess that's around CR13 encounter, so level 10-11 PC?
>>
>>50139536
Technically... magic initiate and absorb element, but that is not really relavant to the current topic.
>>
>>50139573
The fucking tarrasque barely averages 30 damage a hit you mong.
>>
So... take Heavy Armor Mastery at lvl 1 with variant human and watch it be fade from being godlike over the course of the game?

Sounds good to me, these guys are flakey I doubt we'll end up endgame.
>>
>>50139616
Tarrasque also has swallow which do acid damage.

High level encounter either have magical weapon, spellcasting or elemental damage. Your precious feat is useless at that level.

Unless you think all monster is a meat sack that can only multiattack.
>>
>>50139655
If you hit level 10, consider yourself lucky.
>>
>>50139680
5e is a horde game senpai - might want to read up on what that means~
>>
>>50139655
Go for it. It's a good investment if you know you aren't going to reach level 15+.

Most adventure end at 12 or lower anyway.
>>
File: poolie.png (329KB, 500x304px) Image search: [Google]
poolie.png
329KB, 500x304px
>>50139680
Just because it doesn't apply against *everything* doesn't mean it's useless, anon. That's still a good deal of damage reduced on every physical hit you take.
>>
File: 1475091614955.jpg (776KB, 1200x878px) Image search: [Google]
1475091614955.jpg
776KB, 1200x878px
>>50137534
1. you a gay lil' bitch
2. Transmutation wizards only work if your idea of an alchemist is one of the ones from Full Metal Alchemist, and even then don't do a very good job of it. Their features have absolutely nothing to do with what most people's idea of alchemy is.
>>50137502
>Psions
I would make multiple classes for psionics. One would be a mage type using telekinesis/telepathy/ergokinesis with archetypes for the three, the other would get physical augmentation and the soul blade thing and would be built as a psychic gish. Right now wotc is trying to roll every aspect of psionics into a single class, and I feel like it's going to end up making it too unfocused. Imagine if the Wizard, Cleric, and Druid were all a single class called "magic user" with three archetypes for the different classes and a fourth for being a gish.
>Alchemists
This can't be its own class because of how deeply tied the system is to rest based resources. It would be bogged down with the same stupid shit that bogged down the UA artificer, arbitrary limits on how many potions crafted by them can be in existence at the same time because blank. In its absolute worst possible form, the "potions" are just treated like spell slots and need to be used within seconds of making them and they never cost gold.
Instead, in order to make a good alchemist that works in a way that makes sense for alchemy, the crafting rules themselves need to be expanded upon and opened up as a resource available to every class. New lists of craftable items, materials and the means of acquiring them, reworked time investment that isn't just 5 gp per day, the whole shabang. It would have to be its own splatbook, or at least a very large section of a book for new character options.
>>
File: vomit dark souls.jpg (154KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
vomit dark souls.jpg
154KB, 621x621px
>>50139736
>I would make multiple classes for psionics.
>>
>>50139262
It makes you near unkillable early on, but it loses out in effectiveness as the game goes on, yes.
At a certain point, most enemies you'll face will have magical weapons. It can still be helpful if you're up against hordes of weaker baddies, but yeah.
>>
>>50139736
> I want 3.pf class bloat becausw I can't fluff

Magic user as single class sound fine. Actually they should just make it like Shadowrun.
>>
>>50139736
> Imagine if the Wizard, Cleric, and Druid were all a single class called "magic user

I mean if /5eg/ had its way that's what we would have
>>
>>50139736
I dunno if I'd go for multiple psionic classes. A better way to do it would be to have the main 'psion' class, and then make the other typical psion archetypes subclasses for other classes.

Like you could have a Fighter pick up some psionics to be a psychic warrior or whatever they call it, Rogue could be a soul blade assassin type, Barbarian could work as a Wilder of sorts, maybe even a Sorcerer variant that's an aberrant bloodline.

You don't need a bunch of new classes to cover all aspects of psionics.
>>
>>50139736
Consider instead: one main psionic class and psionic archetypes for several of the base classes
>>
>>50139840
A barbarian psionic archetype would be baller. Channel that rage psychically as well as physically.
>>
Very simple question for my wild sorcerer: Maximillian's Earthen Grasp or Hold Person? Not sure which is better.
>>
>>50139782
>I hate having more options
Extreme bloat isn't a worry with this release schedule, half the stuff they put out sucks anyway so the slower releases isn't exactly making things high quality, and if another Theurgist appears I can just ban it at my table.
>>
>>50139880
Subclasses exist for a reason
>>
So I'm making a Goblin ranger using the UA Revised Ranger. It automatically gets a longbow. Since I'm small, I get disadvantage with it. My other option would be to ask the DM for something like a Shortbow, which does less damage. Is there something I'm missing, or am I pretty much screwed into having to lower my damage?
>>
>>50139868
Yeah. I imagine it could be a sort of force of will type thing. Probably use Charisma as one of the big stats, Frighten people nearby by screaming psychically into their heads, instinctively help deflect and cushion attacks heading towards you, have extra defenses against mental assaults.

Damn, now I really want a Psionic Barbarian. That sounds glorious.
>>
>>50139880
The philosophy of 5e is if it can be fluffed, then don't bother making it crunch.

5e does lack a lot in options, but Psionic is just another flavor on magic. The argument that it would be like 'magic user' is grossly inaccurate.
>>
>>50139840
>>50139842
Yeah, this is probably a better suggestion than why I put forth. I just find it weird that the Mystic seems to be a full caster made using the spell point rules, yet they're also trying to make it some kind of martial through the immortal archetype and disciplines.
>>
>>50139874
Max is a strength check - not a strength save - to break out after the initial fail.
So I think it's better - paralyzed is better than restrained, but restrained is still fucking crippling.
>>
>>50139924
Thankfully it's been long enough since Skyrim's release that I'd feel comfortable saying it'd be neat to have power shouts via psychic power.
>>
>>50139924
For some reason I know want an Int based Barbarian
>>
>>50139910
You could ask your DM to roll for starting gold rather than getting the basic equipment, which can let you buy the gear suited for your character instead.

Small characters do get rather shafted on Heavy weapons. For early levels, you could use a Light crossbow and not notice the difference. Later on, you can either switch to a shortbow for your 2 attacks, or potentially pick up Crossbow Expert, which can give you extra bonus action attacks with a Hand crossbow. The damage dice is the smaller, but the extra shots will help make up the difference.
>>
>>50139947
Best thing I could think of would be some sort of Runecarver barbarian that engraves their weapon or tatoos their skill with magical runes for different effects, and possibly for rituals out of combat.

Mainly stuff they can set up prior to going crazy with raging.
>>
>>50139840
>Rogue could be a soul blade assassin type
Monk should get a soulknife archetype. Rogue can be the Dread 3rd-party class from PF (aka. the scariest motherfucker in the room).
>>
>>50139976
I'm going beast master though (gotta get the wolf-reflavored-as-a-worg companion), so I won't get a second attack.
>>
File: Funz.png (24KB, 1107x513px) Image search: [Google]
Funz.png
24KB, 1107x513px
Hey /5eg/, how does this set of houserules for guns look? I'm playing in a modern campaign right now, and we decided the basic DMG rules weren't cutting it. Any outstanding balance issues?
>>
File: 1449991525905.jpg (301KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1449991525905.jpg
301KB, 724x1024px
>Think scourge aasimar barbearian would be fantastic since they can shrug off some of their own burning damage
>Remember they're resistant to radiant anyways
Oh well. It would still work relatively well with it, since you could continue to burn while tanking anything else, have an easy time grappling, and devote your whole first turn to gearing up "combat buffs" and getting in range. Also makes sure you don't lose rage because you take damage each turn.
But then, it would also stack really well with spirit guardians if you ran a cleric, or a lore bard if you really want stat synergy. And life clerics could heal their own burning scratch damage by healing allies.
What else might combo well with it?
>>
>>50140013
Beastmaster still gets 2 attacks, I think, though that might be different with the revised version.

If that's the case though, then it's easy enough for you to roll starting gold and buy a light crossbow. Damage dice is the same as a longbow, and if you only have one attack then the loading property doesn't matter.
>>
>>50140008
I was thinking of something sillier like Nerd Rage or so dumb it becomes a psionic power
>>
>>50139910
It's not optimal, but there are some things you can consider.
First, the average roll on a 1d8 is 4.5, and the average roll on a 1d6 is 3.5.
Second, you can choose to use crossbows; taking crossbow expert at level 4 lets you take advantage of extra attacks. If you decide to go hand crossbows its actually pretty good DPR.
A third option would be to go beast conclave, which doesn't get extra attacks and therefore doesn't really *need* crossbow expert.
>>
>>50140029
That's a good point. I'll look into that then.
>>
>>50140015
Forgot to mention, if you shoot at a target within minimum range or less, you're at disadvantage.
>>
>>50140026
Remember that scourge aasimar's radiant consumption doesn't stop if they fall unconscious, you can totally burn to death.
>>
>>50140059
Shotgun is at disadvantage at 10 feet?
>>
>>50140127
Full length, yeah. Mostly for balance reasons.
>>
>>50140015
I think it would be simpler to leave out the special mods entirely. There's no reason why everyone wouldn't use laser sights, and the other two are questionable as well. If you have to have the iconic sawed-off shotgun, just make a separate stat block for it.
>>
So why does everyone say variant human is best? If you start at level 1-3 then MAYBE if it's REALLY important you have a certain feat for a build, but usually all your first ASIs will be spent getting your relevant stat up, wouldn't they? Why not play a race that gives you a +2 and a +1 in relevant stats, darkvision, and some extra shit?
>>
>>50140276
>but usually all your first ASIs will be spent getting your relevant stat up, wouldn't they?

This is why. It's highly unlikely your primary stat is going to hit 20 at level 4 (unless you're rolling for stats). So you're gonna be level 8 when you get it anyways, and level 12 for a 20 in your stat and a feat.

Variant human gets the feat for free and still gets their primary stat to 20 by level 8 (you can start with a 16 easily enough.)
>>
>>50140276

Because A) a free feat is REALLY powerful, they still keep the same advancement as everyone else and so end up ahead of the curve. Play a mobility monk at level 1 and you'll be an ASI ahead of the other monk, for example, so they'll only catch up to you by level 12 in terms of dex.
>>
File: 1476327663747.jpg (130KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1476327663747.jpg
130KB, 499x499px
>>50140276
>>50140315
>>50140345
i've got a better question

how do we fix v. human
>>
>>50140315
Wait, have I been misreading how variant human works? Do they get 2 +1s, a skill, and a feat, or do they have to choose just one of those? Because otherwise what you said doesn't make sense.
>>
>>50140360
Limit the feats to utility-based ones, like the second Planeshift PDF has for its human subraces.
>>
>>50140361
They get both.
>>
>>50140360
Remove variant human entirely. baseline human now gets +2 to any 2 stats and a bonus skill proficiency - they're versatile, but can still specialize.
>>
>>50140360
For humies I do +1 to three stats, a skill prof, and a small feat of their choosing. No GWM or sharpshooter or any of those munchkin feats; they get a utility feat like Linguist or something.
>>
>>50140424
Referring to them as humies is enough of a nerf on its own.
>>
>>50140376
>>50140424
>You can only take a useless feat
>Whattya mean you want to play an elf now?
>>
>>50140401
this

or give them the option of +2/+2 or +1 to all
>>
>>50139284
>>50139425
We've got a guy with that feat in our level 14 campaign, it's still pretty relevant in many fights. Our guy counts up every hit he takes so he can gauge its effectiveness and each session he has easily shrugged off 30-45+ Damage from it over the day. Not bad considering it comes with +1 Strength.
>>
>>50140460
>if a feat doesnt maximize muh deeps its useless

Anyone who takes polearm master, gwm, sharpshooter, cbow expert, sentinel etc as a v human is cancer
>>
File: 1254119842973.jpg (58KB, 400x563px) Image search: [Google]
1254119842973.jpg
58KB, 400x563px
>>50140360

Disentangle ability score improvement and feats.

Feats really aren't so great that they're viable competition against ability scores. I mean, in what universe is a feat like Mage Hunter or Linguist at all comparable to a 2 point increase for a +1 to a base stat? Or, theoretically, if you have two odd stats, you could be getting an extra +1 for two stats' worth of skill checks, saving throws and attack rolls instead of one of those feats. But apparently the intent of the rulebook is that feats like Athlete are roughly equivalent to 2 more strength.
>>
>>50140550
Yeah. When you factor in that it could have been a boost to Con instead, it really does add up. An extra 30 health over the course of the day isn't bad. It's great at low levels, and still helpful at high ones. Definitely not useless.
>>
is there a list of Forgotten Realms Goblin names anywhere?
>>
>>50140560
I would take GWM or Sharpshooter ore Polearm Master over an ASI everytime if it was relevant for the character
>>
>>50140550
It's not bad but it isn't great.

Also if those numbers are true then you guys really aren't going up against as many magical things as you should be at that level. Or yall are just ignoring the nonmagical clause
>>
File: 59467060_p0.jpg (620KB, 1000x1265px) Image search: [Google]
59467060_p0.jpg
620KB, 1000x1265px
>>50140560
the argument made for feats being too strong is essentially that characters will be 20 in their main stat by level 8, assuming regular circumstances. so unless your MAD as hell, having a feat that fits your specific build is much stronger than a +1 in some stat that you won't use often.
>>
>>50140560
I'd say the intent of the rules is that feats like Athlete are equivalent to only 1 more strength, since they come with half an ASI.
>>
>>50140626
I don't think there's a strict guideline for how many magical things you're 'supposed' to be fighting. Lots of high level things tend to have weapons that do both slashing and extra fire damage, but enemies tend to not have explicitly magical weapons aside from spells.
>>
>>50140626
HAM is great against conventional weapons and multi-attacks, which is a huge portion of most campaigns i'd wager, regardless of your level.
>>
So my group is trying to finish Strahd, and since half the people who were supposed to show up didn't, those of us there got out of the castle and went to clear the werewolf den (which we never did while leveling). The final battle was something like boss, 8 werewolfs, and 9 wolves and I wiped most of them out in 2 turns with prismatic ray and fireball. Against hordes, prismatic ray is the shit that spell is SO strong and one of my favorites now. Level 9 now so it was a good session.

Also, if I understand major illusion right, a level 14 illusionist, if they're willing to spend a lot of actions doing it, can have a roving band of illusions they use as a shell game (such as a 15ft tall adamantine wall), and then cast a spell to make a real one appear somewhere in there?
>>
File: Bugbear.jpg (111KB, 1388x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Bugbear.jpg
111KB, 1388x1500px
How do you guys state a smart phone magic item?
>>
>>50139710
Stone of loud bitching (sending)
>>
>>50140713
>Aifone
>Wondrous item, Very Rare
>This item emits dim light to a range of 5 feet.
>As an action, you can cause this item to emit bright light in a 10 foot cone, and dim light in an additional 10 feet.
>You can use an action to instantly communicate with any other Aifone. Each Aifone has a unique set of glyphs that you must know in order to contact it.
>You can use this item as an action to tell which way is north and the distance and path to the nearest settlement or landmark, including how to arrive there by the shortest path.
>You can use this item to play Angry Birds.
>>
>>50140713
Message at-will, some sort of low level divination 1/short rest.
>>
Wild Magic Sorcerer

Worst Sorcerer option, or worst class option in general
>>
>>50140860
> not liking 2% chance to suicide bomb your party at level 1
>>
>>50140860
Worst class option is ranger and Wot4E monk, maaaaaybe frenzy barbarian.
>>
>>50140860
It's pretty good if you make it dice-based instead of DM-based, and as long as you/your party/your DM all understand and accept the risks. No way it's as bad as elemental monk or beastmaster ranger
>>
>>50140640

That's not really an argument in favor of feats, that just means something you will use is better than something you won't, which is obvious. When it comes down to if you want 2 more of a stat you want or a feat, the feats are the clear loser. And I personally don't like that feats are just a filler for if ability score increases are no longer useful.
>>
>>50140908
>It's pretty good if you make it dice-based instead of DM-based

I would never have considered making it DM-based. If I've lost all reason and gone with the bullshit shenanigans-build, then I'd at least want it to be truly shenanigans. No picking & choosing.
>>
>>50140860
>10%chance of something bad happening? Fuck the other 90% that sounds scerry

They are the only ones who can concentrate on multiple spells. If you ever played one you would realize that the surge table is a huge boon to the point where you will do stupid shit and waste advantage on it just to force a surge.
>>
File: 1452595520997.png (479KB, 699x432px) Image search: [Google]
1452595520997.png
479KB, 699x432px
>>50140860
don't know, but if i ever make a sorcerer that'll be the archetype i go with
>>
>>50141050

Yea it's mostly harmless or incredibly good for the wizard (or the archetype would be super shit). And honestly it doesn't even come into play that often. A friend of mine played through a whole season with a wild mage and they never even rolled on the table despite magic surging at every opportunity.
>>
>>50141016
Are you sure you know what I mean? I don't mean rolling for what you get on the table, I mean rolling to even trigger a wild magic surge in the first place (which RAW may or may not happen each time you cast a spell, up to the DM).

The system my group did was the sorcerer rolling a D20 each time they cast a spell, and if the result was equal to or less than the level of the spell slot expended, then a wild magic surge was triggered. So cantrips have no chance of triggering a surge which means you can spam them without worry, then normal spells can potentially trigger surges with higher spell slots having a higher chance of triggering a surge (fluff-wise, because it's more powerful magic so it's more volatile)
>>
>>50140932
>feats are just a filler for if ability score increases are no longer useful.
that's not true though, a lot of builds revolve around creative usage of feats, not to mention the non-combat ones that add a lot of flavor and specialization to a character.
>>
>>50140360
Make the other races better.
>>
>>50141088
>The system my group did was the sorcerer rolling a D20 each time they cast a spell, and if the result was equal to or less than the level of the spell slot expended, then a wild magic surge was triggered.
i would do a system like this. alternatively, I was thinking of a system where if you casted spells consecutively you had a higher chance of triggering a surge.
>>
>>50136413
Invocation:

Shield of force (requires the eldritch blast cantrip and pact of the blade)

Instead of chaneling your magic to damage your foes directly, you weave it into a magic shield arround your body.

You can cast shield on your self at will and enemies who land a hit on you take 1d10 force damage (Con save for half).
In turn however you loose the ability to cast eldritch blast.

And of course the invocation that grants extra attack also grants extra attack2 at lvl 11.

>>50136754
Fuck you.

I let my monks have an ASI at lvl 6 and scale their MA die this way:

Lvl 1-5 = 1d6
Lvl 6-10 = 1d8
Lvl 11-15 = 2d6
Lvl 16-20 = 2d8
>>
File: wait what the fuck.gif (2MB, 350x281px) Image search: [Google]
wait what the fuck.gif
2MB, 350x281px
>>50137439
Pack tactics is fucking AMAZING. Objectively the best melee racial in no-flanks allowed adventure league and Cower isn't bad either.

Goblins have a tight action econ and one the best spell caster features that can add damage to AoE. They're really mean sorcs and arcane tricksters.
>>
Are all the monster races in Volo's legal for Adventurer's League? Where would I find this so I don't have to ask it here?
>>
>>50134791
How do item prices convert from 3.x to 5e?

Particularly for mundane stuff
>>
>>50141194
tl;dr there isn't a simple answer.

What stuff were you wondering about?
>>
>>50140360
Give humans sub-races instead of "you can be anything" bull shit, but that would trigger the pearl clutchers.
>>
>>50141179
Sorry, but that invocation is pretty bad. Actively requiring you to waste a cantrip is bad design. On top of that, at-will shield is something Wizards can get at level 18 - getting it lower is questionable, getting it at level 3 is crazy.

Consider the following:
Arcane Shield
Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade
While wielding your pact blade in one hand and an arcane focus in the other, you project a shield of force that grants you a +2 bonus to your AC.

Buffs your survivability by way of AC, but is no more powerful than just strapping on a shield. HOWEVER, since you can hold an implement in your hand and get the shield bonus, it ALSO gives you half of the War Caster feat. Easily worth an invocation.
>>
>>50141193

Yes, they said so in the "In Volo's Wake" update, and it was also in the Storm King Thunder AL update released at the start of the season. "In Volo's Wake" clarifies that any PC using a Volo's character:

A) must take elements from a common backstory (e.g. all goblin characters are from a particular tribe) it describes, and:

B) MUST be a part of a faction. Which faction they can join is determined by race. e.g. Yuan-Ti MUST be part of the Lord's Alliance, Kenku can be harpers or Zhentarim, etc. And:

C) The PHB+1 rule still applies of course. So no bugbear with green flame blade for you.

>>50141188

Kobolds are indeed fucking amazing, but Goblins are only amazing on melee classes if we're looking at optimization. If you want a ranged striker/nuker, Aasimar are much better at it.
>>
>>50141217
Just wondering because I have a lot of 3.x materials.

I will likely end up converting modules and magic items and shit for my group, and I'm not sure i want to be making magic items nearly so rare as default 5e, though they will definitely be less numbers-boosting.
>>
>>50141194
For most mundane stuff, just find the 5e equivalent. And if you're converting stuff, keep in mind that a lot of the upper-end mundane stuff is similar in price but any damaging stuff (like acid and alchemist's fire) is a bit more expensive.

For magic items, there are guidelines in the DMG for prices and homebrewing magic items. Convert stuff if you want but don't bother giving a price. It's not so much that magic item shops and shit don't work in 5e, it's that you're better off without them and instead including more unique magic items as loot or rewards.
>>
>>50139363
The only problem TWF has is the lack of a GWF/SS feat. No power attacking sucks.
>>
>>50136965
His cape has 6 monk levels and 20 Dex.

Also he is a monk/conjurer Wizard in the movie.
Comic version is a Monk/Goo warlock.
>>
>>50141301
On the topic of Strange as a Warlock, I kinda wish there were more X of Y spells for warlocks, like Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar, and Hunger of Hadar. They're basically the pact magic equivalent of Melf's Acid Arrow or Mordenkainen's Sword.
>>
>>50139655
It's always good, allows you to jump into hordes of mooks and give no shits. You have to remember, that in 5e mooks still can kill high level characters pretty easily in large enough numbers.
>>
>comfortable lifestyle costs 2gp/day

Man being level 1-3 fucking sucks. How am I supposed to afford this shit on my 10gp starting funds, my character isn't some fucking Barbarian comfortable sleeping in the gutter because it's free.
>>
>>50141275
>Convert stuff if you want but don't bother giving a price. It's not so much that magic item shops and shit don't work in 5e, it's that you're better off without them and instead including more unique magic items as loot or rewards.
I tend to favor wondrous items and spell-in a can items, rather than "yet another +1 sword".
And while I do agree that handing stuff out as loot is an option, I often run urban games more reminiscent of a shadowrun game than a typical d&d dungeon crawl.

My players often haggle over things like contract terms and rewards, and things like the financial value of magic items will come up. They may well decide "Nono no I don't want your shitty magic stick, give me it's value in gold", and then expect to have the item appraised afterwards to determine it's value.

Its fun, but I admit it's not how most people play d&d.
>>
>>50141325
That would be super cool but would require Warlock to have a separate spell list (not necessarily a bad thing) or to have doubles in spell descriptions

I suppose you could steal some descriptive names from 4E Warlocks
>>
Are orcs a re-fluffed, nerfed half-orc?

They lose have the same stat bonuses but get that -2 intelligence, and their racial abilities are pretty much worse than half-orc racial abilities.
>>
>>50139655
yeah, turn from "godlike" to "still good"
>>
>>50141348
you should be able to find some day job on your off adventure time to cover those costs, not your fault you choose to be a NEET
>>
>>50141348
You use your background to maintain your lifestyle most of the time. Pretty much all of them either grant you a place to stay or a way to make money or otherwise support yourself.

>>50141352
I'd be fine with either, really.
>>
>>50136219
D'awww
>>
>>50141354

Their bonus action dash would actually be pretty cool and could lead to some fun builds if Tabaxi didn't have a way better version of it.
>>
>>50141352
>I suppose you could steal some descriptive names from 4E Warlocks
Speaking of. Check this shit out:

>Tendrils of Thuban
>From the frozen emerald seas under the star Thuban, you call forth dozens of glimmering green tentacles. Reaching down from overhead, they seize your enemies, draining the heat from their bodies and holding them immobile.
>>
>>50141384
Seems like a refluffed Evard's Black Tentacles. I like it.
>>
>>50141370
>>50141372
Took Sage background. What am I supposed to do, I'm not going to make 2gp a day cleaning people's houses with Prestidigitation
>>
Inspired by Volo's, I want to build a one-kobold Tucker's Kobolds. What should I do?
>>
>>50141325
I'd be fine with just seeing some fluff and details on different Warlock patrons. Maybe some Patron-specific invocations if they really wanted to tie rules to it.
>>
>>50141399
What specialization did you take?

>>50141414
I may have to work on that, then.
>>
>>50135708
im a dm and i think lizardfolk are fine. 2con-1wis is kinda mediocre stats and the bite ability is very much something that falls off in power quickly. the rest is very situational. the ac issue only helps light armor wearers and even then a lvl 1 character is stuck at 15ac, which is totally not game breaking at all.
>>
>>50141399
>I'm not going to make 2gp a day cleaning people's houses with Prestidigitation

Are you sure? You can probably clean the entire house spotless, plus do a load of laundry in under 10 minutes. Do that for everyone in town and you'd easily make bank.

The market price for a 1st level spell is supposed to be 10 gold, so you could potentially offer that up as well if you have something useful.

And you could always put on a magic show with prestidigitation. The people probably don't see wizards too often, so just see how many coins they'll toss your way.

If you can't make at least 20 silvers doing all that, you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>50141410
Hmm...you definitly want a Rogue. I would say Thief so that you can use items as a bonus action. Stock up on poisons, slip in an out of stealth as you pepper people with crossbow bolts, and lay out bear traps to prevent people from catching you.
>>
>>50139755
So we have 4 classes that use arcane magic (+2 archetypes), and 4 that use divine (or 2 divine, 2 nature magic), but the gods forbid more than one psionic class.
>>
>>50141416
>What specialization did you take?

Rolled, Astronomer.

>>50141434
Hmm, maybe. I've got a spare spell slot, what might be a good level 1 spell to use as a primary income generator?
>>
>>50140360
Give another race access to a feat.
>>
>>50141399
>>50141434

Funny to imagine an intelligent Sage making money with maid duties and hucksterism.
>>
>>
>>50137281
both. the hobbos should be brutal and efficient, but inflexible and unyielding.

imagine a cop who never lets you off on the ticket even when you only went 2mph over the limit. thats your hobbo pig.
>>
>>50141464
>Astronomer
A bit tougher than some other backgrounds, but you could still do freelance work for universities or wizards who seek to study the stars. It might not always be glamorous - maintaining equipment or copying tomes, for example - but it'll pay the bills.
>>
>>50141480
Salaried academia requires you stay in one place, which the game doesn't like.

You can't really stand on a street corner with the day laborers offering cash-in-hand astronomy either
>>
>>50141464
Well, two that seem obvious are Tenser's floating disc and Unseen servant, though both of those are better for long durations. The former is nice as a cart, and the latter is good for labor, though you might have to haggle down the price to use multiple castings, as each only lasts an hour.

>>50141480
Too be fair, a Wizard makes a great maid, indirectly. Unseen Servant can do all sorts of chores and tasks, requiring only minor mental direction from the Wizard. Combo that with Prestidigitation to magically clean anything difficult and you could turn even the most filthy peasant home into something pristine.
>>
>>50141505
>>50141464
astrology is a better fit than astronomy for D&D. just wander around offering to tell peoples' fates and learn of future events and shit by looking into the stars, for a fee
>>
>>50141464
>>50141502
If you're near a port town, you could copy down star charts to sell. Maybe even offer astrological readings, since I would assume astronomy and astrology in D&D overlap a fair bit with how magic everything is.
>>
File: cheetaderp.jpg (33KB, 291x459px) Image search: [Google]
cheetaderp.jpg
33KB, 291x459px
Tabaxi, +30
Monk level 20, +30
long strider, +10
mobile, +10
80ft
dashes(3)
books of speed(2)
haste(2)
Feline Agility(2)
=
1920 feet in 6 seconds
320 feet per second
218.181818 miles per Hour

Gotta go fast.
>>
File: 5e go faster.png (48KB, 340x577px) Image search: [Google]
5e go faster.png
48KB, 340x577px
>>50141551
You can do better.
>>
>>50141570
That's a one off though,
>>
File: 1370478562190.jpg (36KB, 560x381px) Image search: [Google]
1370478562190.jpg
36KB, 560x381px
>>50141570
Ok, that's a lot faster.
>>
>>50137834
is there anyway to save my maps and shit on Roll20 offsite?
if i end up being able to run a campaign off site or in meatspace id like to be able to use it
>>
Wizard 3 / Sorcerer 3

Hitting level 7, where do I go next? Back to Wizard or branch out again?
>>
>>50136965
make him a faggot
>>
>>50141667
>Warlock 3
>Cleric 3
>Druid 3
>Bard 3
>Fighter 2
:^)
>>
>>50141667
>multiclassing 2 arcane casters
>becoming MAD
>not even going X/Warlock for infinite low-level slots to abuse
Literally why.

That said, Wizard is seen as the better class, so my vote goes there.
>>
File: scared osakas.png (139KB, 388x421px) Image search: [Google]
scared osakas.png
139KB, 388x421px
>>50141667
>MAD with no ASIs yet
Good god, man.
>>
>>50137182
>Plus suffering the low levels together and growing as a party helps strengthen interparty bonds/roleplay shit.

Sometimes.

Sometimes the Rogue falls off a roof whilst he was tailing someone becuase he rolled a 2 for his Athletics, loses all but 2 HP, goes off the recover instead of being there for the party's first battle and then we leave without him because we just murdered some local bigwig who's snake-sword liquified leaving no evidence he was evil.
>>
>>50141679
>>50141681
He's a Wizard who rejected his faith, so his God (or some agent on their part) went "nnnnnnope" and made him a Sorcerer with an Origin based on them.

It's been ok so far, just now that I have Metamagic I need to decide where I'm going net.

>>50141674
Not convinced, but might take a level of Ranger since that gives a weird amount proficiencies compared to other multi-classes.

>>50141679
>X/Warlock for infinite low-level slots to abuse

Eh? What's that about infinite spell slots?
>>
>>50141718
>Eh? What's that about infinite spell slots?

Warlock spell slots recharge on a short rest, so you could have gone warlock 3 to have 2 shield spells per short rest, ofr example.
>>
>>50141681
Also what's an ASI
>>
>>50141718
>>50141728
Or more notably, a Warlock/Sorcerer can convert his pact magic slot(s) to sorcery points, then take a short rest and recover those slots. This was confirmed on Sage Advice to be RAW legal.
>>
>>50141752
>Or more notably, a Warlock/Sorcerer can convert his pact magic slot(s) to sorcery points, then take a short rest and recover those slots.

I think we have a winner. Wizard class features are shit anyway
>>
new bread ya lazy gits

>>50141808
>>50141808
>>50141808
>>50141808
>>
>>50141696
that sound more like a DM problem than a low level problem
starting at low levels its a DMs job to make it an engaging ease into the grander nature of the campaign
fun low level engagements as well as an entertaining start to shit aint that fucking hard
>>
>>50141648
If you're uploading maps to roll20, don't you already have your local copy?
>>
>>50141679
>infinite low-level slots to abuse
Dafuq you on about? Classes stack for spell slots.
>>
>>50135207
Scimitars are light so people can make Drizzit clones
Thread posts: 532
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.