[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 384
Thread images: 23

File: somekindofgoatchick.jpg (79KB, 500x686px) Image search: [Google]
somekindofgoatchick.jpg
79KB, 500x686px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Which do you prefer: encounter building mechanic from the DMG or the newe one from UA?
>>
What are some exciting undead for CR 10-15?
>>
>>50127933
> No previous thread link
You are worse than Hitler.
>>
I like Light Cleric blasting + healing so far (level 3).

What are some good Cleric spell to prepare outside of combat though? Enhance Ability?
>>
File: 1477076672152595219.jpg (133KB, 960x687px) Image search: [Google]
1477076672152595219.jpg
133KB, 960x687px
stat me
>>
>I'll play a 13 on everything Monk/Paladin/Wizard/Barbarian because I'm not a minmaxer faggot
>Who cares I can't deal with a goblin at 5th level, I'll be stronger at higher level
>>
>>50127948
The only undead within that range in the MM are Vampires, Mummy Lords and Death Tyrants.

And they're all really awesome
>>
>>50127980
1d4+Str, no prof on attack roll
>>
>>50127980
>tfw no ranger in the party to cast spike growth on you
>>
>>50127982
>plan to be stronger at higher levels
>not a minmaxing faggot
>>
>>50127987
Vampires and their charm are the fucking worst
>>
>>50127987
I just can't get into Beholders.
Dracula is pretty gangsta though.
>>
>>50128008
Can you NOT be stronger at higher levels? in whatever you level/spend ASIs you'll be better than before
>>
>>50127976
If you enjoy healing and blasting, you'll generally want to take rituals for outside of combat, to preserve spell slots for said healing and blasting.
Strong choices for 3rd level are generally Augury and/or Detect Magic (or other 1st level Detection spells depending on what you're facing).
>>
>>50128031
>>50128015
I like 'em all, though I think the Tyrant's Negative Energy Cone is too much of a dick move. My favorite is the Mummy Lord, though, can't wait to use one in my campaign! They have like 5 different Legendary Actions, cool spells, and you pretty much have no option other than fight them in their lair.
>>
>>50128053
Is it worth taking ritual caster feat at level 4 or should I pump WIS up to 20 first?
>>
>>50128078
You already have ritual casting as a Cleric, it's under your spell casting feature.
Max out Wis.
>>
Possibly a dumb question, but it's a minor thing that I've not given much thought to until now:

As a DM, how far can players actually see in a lit area? Suppose there's a long hall or something, say 200 or so feet long. Can they see through all 200 feet? Would dim vs brightly lit affect it?
>>
Can a spell with a range of touch be cast on yourself? e.g. Cleric's bless or guidance. Essentially, are clerics able to buff themselves?
>>
File: Curse of Strahd Key Art 1.jpg (1MB, 1920x1318px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Strahd Key Art 1.jpg
1MB, 1920x1318px
I'm a relatively new DM and my group bought pic related and want to play it in a few weeks.
I've skimmed through it and it seems kinda overwhelming especially since english isnt my first language.
Any tips on how to prepare such a large adventure? Or does anyone have some notes on it to share?
>>
I'm DMing tonight. The players did something in the last session, that would probably result in the BBEG completely obliterating the country they're in with magic, in a way that the players probably can't stop at all. The BBEG has previously demonstrated the ability to command enormous destructive magical potential.

I don't want to railroad the players. What is the balance between railroading and making the players deal with the logical consequences of their actions?
>>
>>50128213
>>
File: fire plok.jpg (21KB, 350x289px) Image search: [Google]
fire plok.jpg
21KB, 350x289px
>>50128266
Thank you, kind Anon. Have a Plok.
>>
>>50128213
Run them through Death's House first.
>>
>>50128260
Add a third power in. Someone fucks up Big Bad's plan of obliteration.
Players, BBEG, and BBEG's enemy (which may or may not be a friend of players)
>>
>>50128298
The players just killed the third party.
>>
>>50128260
Avoid the party being caught in the destruction themselves.
If it isn't a ridiculous immersion breaker/plothole: Have the BBEG just obliterate a major city/settlement, or maybe about half the country. That way there's real consequences, but they're not all dead just because they did some stupid shit, and it gives them a chance to deal with it.
>>
>>50128260
>>50128321
Make them live in the post-apocaliptic wasteland they created.
>>
>>50128198
Yes. Just like they can cast Cure Wounds on themselves. Bless has 30ft range, though.

>>50128213
I mean, my first advice would be to run something else. Unless you have a lot of time and are in a mood to really immerse yourself in the game, read a lot, research, prepare, etc. If you still want to do it, you better read the whole thing and familiarize yourself with it. Look up some sites that can help you, such as http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2016/05/dungeons-dragons-how-to-run-curse-of.html
It's a great blog with advice and helpful articles from someone who's run all 5e published adventures so far. Now, I don't mean to discourage you. If you think you're up to the task, go for it! My first try at DMing was with Hoard of the Dragon Queen, which is generally regarded as the worst 5e adventure so far, though it's actually the easiest to run for new DMs (except for LMoP) because it's somewhat railroaded. My first session or two were disastrous, but now it's going rather well. And english isn't my first language either, so take that as you will.
>>
>>50128398
>Can a spell with a range of touch be cast on yourself? e.g. Cleric's bless or guidance. Essentially, are clerics able to buff themselves?
You're right, thanks!
>>
>>50128260
Capital city turns to dust and magical radiation

>>50128321
Are they murderhobos?
>>
>>50128148
DMG, page 243
>>
>>50128467
They're borderline murder hobos.

To be fair, they were on a mission from god.
>>
I'm thinking about playing a cleric in a game I'm joining next weekend. Which domains are the most interesting and fun? Anyone have any good cleric stories, ideas or builds for inspiration?
>>
>>50128090
Ritual caster let you cast spell as ritual without wasting your spell slot to prepare them.
>>
>>50127933
>Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

But I don't want a shitty fake Volo's Guide.
>>
>>50128511
why do you think it's fake?
>>
>>50128499
Depend on what kind of Cleric do you want to be.

If you want to melee, Tempest and War are the best.

If you want to be the party problem solver, knowledge is the best.

If you want to be heal bot, life is the best.

If you want to do AoE damage with the side of healing and buff, Light is the best.
>>
File: 1345121758302.jpg (33KB, 528x449px) Image search: [Google]
1345121758302.jpg
33KB, 528x449px
So I've been given a campaign to DM. I was a player in it until the DM had real-life shit to do, so he handed it over to me, along with most of his notes.

Basically, there's a column in the center of the world. The column is a space elevator, as in, it literally goes all the way up into space. There's people in the top of the column, essentially the gods of the world.
The party have had contact with the goddess of the Sky at one point during the campaign, and she had the power to call down beams of light, glassing some areas. In reality, the Sky goddess was a satellite firing lasers from orbit. Whilst trying to get her to help them fight against a plague which turns people into weird demons called The Twisted, the party broke a shrine to her, which was actually a communications device, so they severed her link to the world.
They managed to save the continent anyway with the help of a silver dragon. His price for helping was for them to poison the only Faerie dragon in existence.
It's after this point that I took over. I've already had my first session, where the party went to a different continent.

The big, over-arching goal for the campaign is for the party to get to the top of the column, which is in space, and commune with the 'gods'.

How would a D&D character survive in a vacuum? How would a D&D character possibly go into space?
>>
>>50128556
Is it like a magical satellite or technological satellite?
>>
>>50128556
Can't you just put some sort of orbital station on the top of the thing, call It Olympus and call It a day?
No need to interact with the vacuum itself
>>
>>50128556
In Volo's it mentions the Mind Flayers being able to make an item called a Survival Mantle. It is a nonmagical equivalent to half plate that allows the wearer to breathe normally (even explicitly in vacuum) as well as advantage on cloudkill and similar effects. (page 81 VGtM)
>>
>>50128506
But the spells you can prepare aren't tied to your spell slots for clerics, aside from the restriction that you can't prepare spells above your spell slot level. If you mean that it takes up spells that you could prepare for other things then yeah sure, but increasing your Wis also increases the amount of spells you can prepare, as well as a host of other benefits. The question you then have to ask is "Am I using all the spells I prepare? or can I give some of them up to rituals and concentrate my spell slots on my more useful spells?"
>>
Probably stupid, but kneehigh water- difficult terrain, what other effects should it have in combat?
>>
>>50128579
Could be either. Could be both.

I'm inclined to think its technological.
The same DM a few years ago had a grand plan for a D&D campaign, where we'd run into some dudes who turned out to be Space Marines, and they had a crashed ship on some mountain somewhere and then it would turn into Rogue Trader. That campaign only lasted 2 sessions, though.

>>50128600
Might have them fighting Mind Flayers at some point, then.

Don't most undead not have any need to breathe, therefore making them fine in a vacuum? Most of the party seems to be drifting towards evil alignment, perhaps they could try to become Liches or something? They wouldn't need to breathe then.
>>
>>50128282
>when furries emerge in my thread.jpg
>>
>Nearly every part of a cave fisher is
useful after the creature has been dispatched. Its blood is alcoholic and tastes like strong liquor. Several dwarven spirits include cave fisher blood as part of the recipe, and some dwarves, especially berserkers, drink the
blood straight...Cave fisher meat is edible,
tasting much like crab cooked in strong wine.

Is the new Cave Fisher designed with Dungeon Meshi in mind?
>>
>>50128506
As the other anon pointed out you can already do that.
>>
File: CXpossibly.jpg (19KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
CXpossibly.jpg
19KB, 640x364px
>>50128556
>>50128679
You could have the BBEG be a mad wizard who wants to become a lich, as part of his plan to kill the gods and become the one true god himself.

He could also be engineering a primitive kind of spaceship to get up there, which would have a rocket engine fueled by the souls of the innocent.
>>
>>50128556
My players once survived a vacuum by sealing their heads in water tight suits full of water and casting water breathing.
>>
Anyone have any ideas for an unorthodox good backstory for a barbarian?
>>
>>50128956
Lost son of a fallen noble family, raised in exile and hellbent on becoming a mighty warrior and reconquering his ancestral lands
>>
>>50128956
A missionary for a western/catholic themed church arrives in an Asian themed land. He considers everyone around him savages, but everyone around him considers him a savage. it makes him so angry these uncivilized eastern morons ignoring his wisdom, he just wants to fight them sometimes!
>>
>>50128956
A fan of a book or book series with a serious anger disorder. The author writes or changes something that he doesnt like and he goes on a quest to find him.
Basically nerdrage.
>>
>>50128956
Highly trained and disciplined master swordsman, almost without peer amongst mortals and able to surgically strike a man through the heart without causing him to bleed.

Who was hit in the head by his wife after she believe he cheated on her. He survived, but is now brain damaged and can't remember how to sword the way he used to.

So instead he swaggers around the battlefield swinging a big fucking hammer and trying to not succumb to amnesia and forget why he's even fighting these cunts in the irst place.
>>
>>50128956

Former racing champion Kirk McDouglas loses an arm in a horrific race crash (burns all over his body). Gnomic inventors make him better, stronger than he could have ever been otherwise. His arm is replaced with a mechanical limb that allows him to punch/grip/shoot/etc.

Either Inspector Gadget or Cable, depending on how silly you want to get with it.
>>
Do you think it would be reasonable to add a "sabre" weapon what would be like a rapier, but with slashing damage?
I would like a good finesse weapon that is not a rapier, and scimitars just look like some dual-wielding meme. Not sure why they even consider light if they weight more than a rapier desu.
>>
>>50128956
Member of a noble family which has had the 'go fucking berserk and smash the shit out of everything' style passed down through the generations as a secret family martial art. There is no greater honor for a member of the family than to apply the art.
>>
>>50129071
just make scimitar deal 1d8 and rapier deal 1d6 with light
makes much more sense if you ask me
>>
>>50128949
How was the oxygen in the water replenished as they breathed it and exhaled CO2? Water Breathing means you can breathe underwater like fish, but if the oxygen is depleted you suffocate anyway.
>>
A Lich raises a Skeleton and imbues him with power and free will, asking for small and seemingly innocuous favours every now and then in exchange for the maintenance of this magic.
The Skeleton often ponders his existance and the bits of memories he has from his previous life, while also trying to piece together what the Lich is up to and what is his part in it.
Is this a good enough backstory for an Undying Patron Warlock?
>>
>>50128652
advantage on saving throws against fire damage
>>
>>50128975
>>50128999
>>50129010
>>50129022
>>50129038
>>50129079
All of these are great ideas, ty!
>>
>>50129114
Control water pumping water through a tether.
>>
>>50129071
Should be fine. Seems silly that every sword & board dex user has to use a rapier, or lose damage, while a str user would get the choice of a; battleaxe, longsword, flail, morningstar, rapier, warpick or a warhammer
>>
>>50129101
It wouldn't make sense for a rapier desu, since shortsword already does that.
But I would definetly split scimitar into an analogue of a shortsword, which is listed now under scimitar, and into a longer version, simillar to a rapier.
>>
>>50129135
And disadvantage against lightning
>>
What are some cool things a 11th level illusionist villain could do with a permanent Major Image?
>>
Speaking of illusions, what would be some good class features an illusion based warlock patron could have?
>>
>>50127962
You don't know that. We can never say what kind of horrible things Hitler might've been guilty of, if he had been able to post on 4chan.
>>
>>50129071
Slashing weapons don't do finesse. All the weapons in the base game that can trigger sneak attack do piercing damage, to represent the accurate penetration of a kidney or other organ/weak spot.
>>
>>50129366
scimitars have finesse though
>>
>>50129385
GODDAMN WHAT THE FUCK.
DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS.
>>
>>50129249
Yeah, but he didn't post on 4chan. So as it stands now, Hitler is completely innocent.
>>
>>50129249
He'd probably be a regular neet from /pol/
>>
>>50129366
>>50129385
>>50129401
Whip too. You can cut net with whip but not with dagger.
>>
>>50129423
>I try to cut the net with my dagger
>You stab at the net but nothing really happens
said no dm ever
>>
>>50129071
It a refluff scimitar. No need to bloat out weapon list.
>>
>>50129460
> "But mom!! RAW said you can't do that!! Only slashing damage can cut the net!!"
>>
>>50129466
It's not just a refluff of a scimitar, but actual stats changes. I would call it more of a rapier refluff with slashing instead of thrusting, if anything.
>>
>Martial melee weapons
Falchion - 1d8 slashing
Estoc - 1d10 piercing, two-handed (no finesse)
Lucerne hammer - 1d10 bludgeoning, heavy, reach, two-handed, special (counts as polearm) [same as halberd/pike but bludgeoning]

>Refluffed weapons
Half-pike or spontoon - as estoc.
Khukri - as handaxe.

>Masterwork weapons (uncommon, non-magical)
Dwarven masterwork hammer - 2d4 bludgeoning
Elven masterwork curveblade - 2d4 slashing
>>
Lads I've been thinking about creating a character and I'd like some input.
He wakes up one day and his wife, who is his soul mate, is gone. There is no tracks, no signs of struggle, no one knows anything or has seen anything and he cannot think of a reason why she would have left or who could have taken her.
But he swears revenge on whoever took her and wants to devote his all to finding her, finding out who took her or what happened and exacting his revenge.

Do you have any ideas what class he might be?
Usually I like to play rogue characters but I don't see this fitting very well.
I was thinking maybe a paladin or something of the sort but he loses faith in his deity and turns from them. Is anything like that possible in 5e?
I know back in the day paladins lost all their powers by renouncing their god, has that changed?

Thanks for your input
>>
>>50129557
Oathbreaker paladins exist
>>
>>50129557
>Usually I like to play rogue characters but I don't see this fitting very well.
>I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my wife go now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.

Rogue can work
>>
>>50129557
Paladin of Vengence. Using whip.
Bonus point if the reason his wife dissapear is because of vampire and, he has to sacrifice her to create a magical whip to kill said vampire.
>>
>>50129557
Warlock, make the Pact in exchange for getting your wife back

Boom. 2 bears, one stone
>>
How should warlock patron demands work? Is it something the DM should make up? Or something the player should make up in the background and the DM tries to implement in the game? or should it just be ignored?
>>
>>50129114
Decanter of endless water and a blowoff valve would work.
>>
>>50129694
Convenient plot points fo the DM
>>
>>50129114
In which page of what book does it say that PC need Oxygen to breath? Show it!! Show it!!!
>>
>>50129401
Well, you are right in that, generally, all the weapons that trigger sneak attack do piercing damage. Rogues are not proficient with whips and scimitars by default, though some DMs let'em have it.
>>
>>50129694
If you think it's going to be more of an inconvenience for either you or the player than an opportunity then you may be better off just ignoring it or coming up with something really simple like "Every time you use your powers I get stronger too so just keep at it."
>>
>>50129209
No ideas?
>>
>>50129694
It should be done in a similar way to a cleric or paladin getting requests for aid from their church or order. If you work with the player, you can have it be something more frequent they have to do.
>>
>>50129114
Oxygen? What is this? Everyone knows that living beings simply require to be surrounded by elemental Air to live, as the quickness of the air is needed to give quickness to the body.

Water Breathing simply uses magic to allow the substitution of water, as water has a measure of the same quickness to it. Notice there are no 'Earth Breathing' or 'Fire Breathing' spells - how preposterous those would be!
>>
>>50129892
>Implying moles and sandworms aren't Earth-Breating
>>
Would a magical shield that can cast Shield be too redundant?
>>
>>50129249
I am completely innocent.
>>
>>50129132
pls respond
>>
>>50128956
Driven by madness. Tharzidun or another cool Great Old One has whispered messages of insanity into a perfectly normal mercenary or soldier or clansman or whatever. Bound for supernatural bouts of rage and chaos, you now have to confront with the fact the a potentially evil force is manipulating you over time.
>>
>>50130043
Isn't regular lich a bit of a weak entity to grant such powers?
>>
>>50130005
Shield is never redundant
>>
>>50130104
Yeah, you're right.
It would have to be Larloch or some lich-queen.
>>
>A kobold acknowledges its weakness in the face of a hostile world. It knows it is puny, bigger creatures will exploit it, it will probably die at a young age, and its life will be full of toil. Although this outlook seems bleak, a kobold finds satisfaction in its work, the survival of its tribe, and the knowledge that it shares a heritage with the mightiest of dragons. A kobold isn't clever, but it isn't as stupid as an ore. Someone can fool a kobold with smooth words or a quick wit, but when the kobold figures out it has been tricked, it remembers the affront. If it gets an opportunity to do so, it will retaliate against that person somehow, even if in merely a petty way. A kobold doesn't like being cornered or alone. It wants to know it has a safe path for escape, or at least an ally nearby to improve its chances. A kobold without either of these options will be nervous, its behavior alternating between meek silence and hysteria

God damn almost makes me feel sorry for slaughtering the little buggers.
>>
How do you guys rp casting spells?
>>
Hey I was thinking about running Tyranny of Dragons, because motherfucking Dragons, but I've found that the adventure needs shit tons of work to make it run smoothly. Any tips or notes that can help me out?
>>
>>50130384
>"The hobgoblins can each make a wisdom save"
>>
>>50130384
>Cosby waves his hands and murmurs an ancient language, as the woman falls under a sleep spell
>>
>>50130233
All it took for me to sympathise with Kobolds was to hear how the Gnomish god dicked them over.

Fuck Gnomes
>>
>>50130421
I'm currently running it, close to the end of the first book. Here are a few sites you might find helpful:
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/tyranny-of-dragons-guide-to-hoard-of.html
http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com.br/p/hoard-of-dragon-queen-index.html
http://slyflourish.com/greenest_in_flames.html

The first is the most helpful. That site also has a full report of his playthrough running Tyranny at Adventurer's League. If you're interested in having an idea how other groups did, it begins here: http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2014/08/hoard-of-dragon-queen-seek-keep.html
I'm also bored and idle, so if you have any specific questions about it, I can try to answer.
>>
What are some must-have spells if one were to play a Necromancer Wizard? Anything from Unearthed Arcana?
>>
what the RAW on collecting xbow bolts after firing and does mending allow me to repair them if DM tries to say they broke?
>>
>>50130593
You can collect half

No
>>
>>50130592
speak with the dead.

that's about it. Animate dead is for mememancers. Necromancy used to be about communication.
>>
File: r1KeUr7.jpg (276KB, 1600x922px) Image search: [Google]
r1KeUr7.jpg
276KB, 1600x922px
>>50127933
Any tips for a DM about to do his first Underdark style quest? I've been DMIng for about a year now and the party is about to head into the Underdark as partners in a Dwarven expedition.

I don't really know how to run it and would love any tips anyone has, especially interesting 5e mechanics I could use.
>>
What are the best damage spells for a wizard?
>>
Is Essylliss still around?
>>
>>50130648

At what level? Generally magic missiles, scorching ray and fireball are your big workhorses.
>>
>>50130719
Does magic missile still beat out chromatic orb as a wild sorcerer? as advantage is easy to get via tides of chaos
>>
>>50130719
Well, ones that are best at all levels, but also I suppose the one you're most likely to cast at each power level (1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20)
>>
Does the Fathom Event exclusive adventure "Cloud Giant's Bargain" spoil anything for SKT? Our guy that was gonna DM SKT in month can't make it today, so I thought I'd run it, but I haven't looked at it yet and don't want to spoil SKT for myself.
>>
>>50130648
If you can connect a Witch Bolt on a high HP target and keep it on him it is probably your best total damage per spell for the early levels, but obviously high movement fights/losing concentration can mess it up
>>
>>50130523
Thanks for the links. I was wondering if you had plans to add in extra content so the PCs hit level 20 (such as with side quests sprinkled in), or if you're running it largely as is? I'm also wondering how much it would effect tyranny of the dragon queen if I played another module before it (such as Lost Mines), would it require massive amounts of re-scaling enemies?
>>
>>50128499
>>50128555
>If you want to be heal bot, life is the best.

Don't listen to this anon. The Life Domain cleric is going to spend less spell slots on healing, as their healing is optimized, which means you're able to upcast damage spells and
>>
>>50130829
yeah, the life cleric in my party has by far some of the highest DPS and uptime in it.
>>
>>50130384
>As Randall scatters grains of rice soaked in Miller Lite in front of the Bugbear, he recites the ancient words of power, invoking the aid of Dale Earnhardt and blasting the Bugbear with holy light and vicious flame.
>>
>>50128555
Why does no one ever talk about nature?
>Melee while only needing wisdom
>Resistance for anyone from a few damage types as a reaction
>3 different damage types for their divine strike
Are they just considered not-druids?
>>
>>50130648
fire bolt, magic missile, burning hands (until you get something better), scorching ray, fireball, lightning bolt, cone of cold, disintegrate
>>
File: Volatile Monster.jpg (3MB, 2400x2716px) Image search: [Google]
Volatile Monster.jpg
3MB, 2400x2716px
Adjusted.
Any further tuning needed?
>>
>>50129557
The thing about that concept is that it works with literally any class.
Obviously Vengeance Paladin jumps out because of the revenge theme, but any class can be searching for their missing wife.
Personally I'd probably go with a ranger, but I'm biased because that's my favourite class anyway.
>>
>>50130805
Nah, it's only tangentially related.
It might feel like a retread if you're planning on using the cloud giant chapter of SKT though.
>>
>>50130934
Yep
>>
>>50130384
My players don't. They just say I cast a spell.
>>
>>50128556
You might want to take a look at some of the Spelljammer material from AD&D 2E for inspiration
>>
We're playing Storm King's Thunder and we just fought the giant raid on the town and holy shit we got wiped so hard

Don't think we even killed any giants at all until the DM saved us, and we didn't make any huge mistakes
>>
>>50130955
Multiattack and Pounce should both be moved to the top section with UV sensitivity and Hunger, to be in line with templating.
>>
>>50131054
Which town did you start at?
As far as I can tell, Triboar is decently balanced but Bryn Shander is absolutely fucked. I haven't had much of a look at Goldenfields.
>>
>>50131054

That fight is rough so don't feel too badly. Those giants can fuck you up, we mostly go through it thanks to the power of divination wizards+slow.
>>
>>50131072
We started at Bryn Shander
>>
>>50131066
Im looking more for balance input
>>
They seem alright, if a bit boring.
>>
File: 1422960076736.jpg (85KB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
1422960076736.jpg
85KB, 699x699px
So we can agree the Tabaxi is "That race" right?
>crazy good stats
>furry bait
>muh chaotic
>>
>>50130592
I would say Chill Touch, See Invisibility, and other spells that have utility when fighting ghosts or undead.

After all, if you aren't raising a skeleton army, best way to play it is a Wizard who specializes in Necromancy for undead hunting.
>>
>>50131126
Nah, Aarakocra remain "that race"
>>
>>50131126
I would say, yes.
>>
>>50131126
Variant Humans will always be "that race" because of things like sharpshooter and GWM
>>
>>50130629
Look into the OotA campaign book. It definitely will give you grand insight on how to handle the underdark. My personal suggestion would be to roll up one or two random encounters per week of travel, and also throw in terrain puzzles, the possibility to get lost, and at least one Drow ambush. The drow are constantly looking for slaves and to steal surface goods, the underdark is constantly shifting and changing, and monsters down there are simply savage.
>>
File: 1430781024510.png (15KB, 400x335px) Image search: [Google]
1430781024510.png
15KB, 400x335px
>>50131089
>we mostly go through it thanks to the power of divination wizards+slow
I'm a divination wizard though I do not have Slow yet, but I don't know if I'm really all that strong

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm currently level 5 but when we got attacked by the Giant raid at Bryn Shander we were level 4.
There were 3 (frost?) giants and two winter wolves on one gate, which we defended as the PCs alone, and 12 giants at the other gate, which the NPCs defended together with a bunch of soldiers, all of whom broke and ran away in less than 2 turns of stone throwing.

I don't think we could have killed even one giant
>>
>>50131126
Yeah, brace yourselves for them becoming the standard for rogues/innate casters.
>>
>>50131262

Your DM is being pretty rough on you then. When you get to the raid, you should be level 5. The NPCs are there to help you out in the fight against the giants (or at least that's how it was explained to me by my DM). So it sounds like y'all are playing fine and your DM really threw the house at you.

Slow is powerful for a lot of reasons but the main thing as a div wizard is that you should try to get debuffs. If your potent is low, you can just point at a giant and say 'they fail' which is REALLY good. Avoid str and con saves, pick spells that rely on wis, cha, int, and dex vs. giants. Illusions, phantasms, madness spells are all excellent v. giants.
>>
>>50131126
Honestly I've seen more faggot kobold fetishists than Tabaxi ones
>>
>>50131311
Yeah I tried to use Suggestion but the 30ft range was a big problem, I actually landed it and made him fail the save with Divination, but one turn later I got hit by a rock to the face and dropped to zero.
>>
>>50131262
Chris Perkins has tweeted that for Bryn Shander you're meant to do continuous hit-and-run attacks on the giants rather than trying to take them face-on, but your DM was definitely fucking you.
The NPCs are there to help, they're not meant to just bail on you, it isn't written for that to work.
>>
>>50131318
>not liking kobolds
what are you, gay?
>>
>>50131318
That's because they're new, but you can be sure furfags will make them their bread and butter. That and catgirl lovers.
>>
>>50131337

What did you suggest to the giant? That's a very powerful spell and in a fight like that the best suggestion is usually "I suggest you run in the opposite direction for 8 hours" and poof, you have effectively beaten a giant with a save-or-lose.
>>
>>50131126
My prediction is that Yuan-ti are going to be the new drow. Tabaxi seem fine, for slightly sillier settings.
>>
>>50131348
Tabaxi have existed since AD&D and I have literally never seen somebody play one
>>
>>50131089
Why divination+slow? You can only make one of them fail a save
>>
>>50131262

A lvl 4 party would've had a hell of a fight against 3 hill giants + entourage, let alone frost ones. You're lucky to not have had a TPK on your hands.
>>
>>50131364
I suggested "Defend the city and its inhabitants from the giant attack" and he actually hit the other giant pretty hard for that one turn
>>
>>50131345
Hey man I didn't say I wasn't one of them
>>
>>50131373
Because catfolks were the to-go furry race, until 5E where they disappeared
>>
Problem: Furries

Solutions
- Don't play with furries
- Don't hang out with so many furries
- Talk it out like a normal adult with the DM
>>
>>50131433
This.
I have played with a single furry, who my group kicked out after his kobold fetish became apparent, and it has never been a problem since.
>>
>want to translate a catfolk character concept I had in PF over to 5e
>character was formerly a wizard's familiar, the wizard was getting old as shit and geanted him a humanoid form so he could help out around the house
>wizard gets offed
>catfolk goes on rampage trying to find her killer
I am a good kitty.
>>
>>50131433
What about non furries who want to play tabaxi?
>>
>>50131375

Well we had 2 div wizards, but we got lucky on their saves. But slow is excellent because it targets a typically weak save on giants (wis), can target up to 6 enemies so you can hit more than one of them, and any failed saves effectively cripples the giant for at least a turn giving you time to burn at least one of them down.

>>50131380

Not a bad choice though I guess it's up to the DM if getting hit by one of your enemies would end the spell. Still though you all should have been level 5 for that fight and had the help of those NPCs. Make sure you all are AT LEAST level 5 before you leave, because you're supposed to be level 6 when you leave Bryn Shandar.
>>
>>50131433
>- Don't play with furries
I don't
>- Don't hang out with so many furries
I wish I could help it but I'm on /tg/ so
>>
>>50131471
They're fine. But I assume the guy whining about furries would probably accuse anyone who doesn't play Human, Dwarf (male only), Halfling or non-dark Elf of doing magical realm anyway.
>>
How do you guys do boss monsters? My players are about to confront the BBEG, and I want to make it a fun fight.
>>
>>50131475
Honestly wish I took it on my divination wizard. Keep taking divination spells then wondering why I'm doing fuck all in combat
>>
>>50131512
Lair actions, legendary actions, weak but plentiful minions, fight stages with mechanical changes on the bbeg's part, interesting environment.
>>
>>50131529

Divination spells are strong but you really want debuff enchantments. Start taking those (and replacing some of your old ones) and you'll probably be the secret force that keeps your party alive.
>>
>>50131512
this >>50131533

A solo monster will get trashed, simply due to the action economy. He needs lair/legendary actions and/or minions to stand a chance.
>>
>>50131512
Make sure it doesn't feel like no items final destination. Have an environment that offers chances to be creative with interaction
>>
>>50131570
no items
kobold only
final destination
>>
Don't tritons actually make a good candidate for the old ones warlock, with the whole Lovecraftian fish-man vibe?
>>
I was actually quite impressed with how much the Tabaxi entry avoided waifu bait.

On the other hand, those Yuan-ti personality traits...
>>
>>50131126
>muh chaotic
The entire book is scary as a DM, there's so much edgy chaotic bait.
>>
>>50131587
They're billed as protectors of the deep, but you could always play one who's gone rogue, or perhaps one who's patron is one of the less 'murderfuck all lesser races' old ones. The ability scores aren't terrible for it either.
>>
So is there a point in any enchantment spell besides suggestion?
>>
File: trapped-in-the-closet-poster.jpg (867KB, 1080x1601px) Image search: [Google]
trapped-in-the-closet-poster.jpg
867KB, 1080x1601px
Would an RnB-themed bard be too obnoxious? I really just want an excuse to sing early-00s jams.
>>
>>50131607
A triton found some forbidden underwater eldrich ruins... something something... old ones warlock.
>>
>>50131624
Suggestion isn't as good as /tg/ makes it out to be.

"I suggest you listen to me if you want to live"
>sounds fair
"great, now be my slave and murder your tribe for me"

No
>>
>>50131624
Hold person gives your fighter/barb autocrits I guess
>>
>>50131605
>monsters tend to be chaotic
how is this surprising to people
>>
>Water: Undine
>Earth: Pygmy
>Air: Sylph
>Fire: Salamander
>Dark: ??? (Imp?)
>Light: ??? (Pixie?)
>>
Variant rule - weapon base damage is static instead of a dice, then is altered by how much you exceed their AC by to represent a glancing or more severe blow. Rather than rolling a crit and then doing 4 dmg because you rolled 1s
>>
>>50131724
So what would a crit against an AC you can only hit with a crit do?
>>
>>50131738
Static damage+str/dex mod, twice(crit). Since you can only land a lucky strike, there's no room for overkill
>>
>>50131773
Would there be any difference in damage for a Champion who crits on an 18 for rolls of 18/19/20 vs an AC of >20?
Sorry if I'm asking annoying questions, by the way. I think the system is neat and recently one of my players was really frustrated when a crit from his 5th-level character dealt something like 5 damage because he rolled badly.
>>
>>50131678
>Dark
>Light
No.

Aether/Quintessence. (Jiyva?)
>>
File: 1476442306879.jpg (101KB, 443x966px) Image search: [Google]
1476442306879.jpg
101KB, 443x966px
How big is a spelljammer, anyways?
>>
>>50131875
The spelljammer, iirc, has no official sizes but is probably the size of a small asteroid.

Spelljamming ships, in general, were about the same size as a modern military destroyer at the highest range.
>>
>>50131836
I don't think so, since crit is still an auto-hit and double damage, Champion just gets it more often.

Obviously if they crit on an 18 and the AC is 15 then theyd get higher damage as they exceeded the AC, so dealt a more serious blow in addition to their expertise with their weapon causing a crit.

And this comes about because I literally critted yesterday and rolled snake eyes for damage.
>>
>>50131657
I suggest you kill that other ogre
>Okay (two ogres becomes one weakened ogre)
I suggest you stand over on that X (it's just an illusion over a pit, no save until interaction, or even just a regular trap)
>Okay
I suggest you run 500 miles east of here
>Okay
I suggest the barmaid let me suck her nuts
>Okay

The main thing here is that you dont suggest "listen to me", you just suggest the thing you want. To use your example, I go to a guard in the middle of the night and cast suggestion.
I suggest you murder your tribe/whatever.
>Okay
>Murders tribe in sleep
>Suggestion ends
>YOU BASTARDS
>Sets fire to camp while we're looting
>>
File: 1467756156176.png (499KB, 430x609px) Image search: [Google]
1467756156176.png
499KB, 430x609px
>>50131892
Then what would the spelljammer equivalent of a colony ship be?

And what would be fun things to find in its bio-sector's hold?
>>
>>50131657
every single time my DM uses it, it's 'those aren't your friends they are dopplegangers'
>>
My and my friends just started running Curse of Strahd. Last night was Death House. We managed to have two party deaths before it was finished. My character got one shot buy Gustav, and the second one killed himself on the altar. My DM didn't want me just sitting there for the rest of the module, so he had my new dude found in the jail cells before the altar.

How would deaths be handled normally? That player just sits out until the party is back in town/ a place where logically they can recruit new people? Stumble across the new party member like they did my new guy? Whats SOP?
>>
>>50131859
The fifth element is Boron
>>
>>50131927
>The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable.
The reason suggestion is so powerful is because no one enforces this
>>
>>50131898
Yeah, my monk player rolled 3d6 (damage + crit + poison) and came up 3+mod. He was not happy.
>>
>>50131927
You have to phrase it to sound reasonable, at it can't be obviously dangerous. Running 500 miles is certainly unreasonable, and fighting an Ogre or an entire tribe is both unreasonable and dangerous.

The stand where the x is thing only works if they're not aware there should be a bit there.
>>
>play an aasimar palladin
>always listen to your guardian angel
>never fall
easy mode
>>
>>50131927
>I suggest you kill that other ogre
Why, he's my friend. He saved me from that human with the flaming sword last summer.
>I suggest you stand over on that X (it's just an illusion over a pit, no save until interaction, or even just a regular trap)
Maybe
>I suggest you run 500 miles east of here
What's a 500? (assuming typical Ogre intelligence)
>I suggest the barmaid let me suck her nuts
Cool, I'd have done that anyway for a few silver.

I consider "reasonable" to be something they might do anyway, or could be coaxed into doing under normal circumstances, the spell just replacing the time and bribes needed.

Kill your tribe in their sleep is unlikely to be something a guard would consider agreeing to. You'd need to Dominate him or that.
>>
>>50131941
Offered a deal by the Dark Powers, maybe?
>>
>>50131941
I usually go with back at town unless that's gonna be a really long time away.
>>
>>50131987
>>50131898
You could try using a system where you take max damage on the crit die, instead of rolling it.
So a critical longsword hit with 20 STR would be 1d8+5+8, instead of 2d8+5
>>
What would be the best cleric domain for an "arcane archer" favored soul sorcerer?
The whole idea is to use sorcery points to reskin spells as additional magical arrows.
How much worse would this be than going Valor bard?
>>
>>50132003
For the ogre example you could just say "run {direction} and don't stop until I tell you to"
>>
>>50132013
My issue isn't just crits though. You can just barely beat their AC (a glancing blow, lucky hit) and do 12 damage, then roll 10 over it (master swordsman vs village militia) and only break the skin. It's weird and irritating when you're going all out.
>>
>>50132037
Alright, the Ogre picks you up and starts running, since it would be unreasonable to run out of earshot without you being able to tell him to stop
>>
>>50132013
That makes crits totally nuts though, especially at low levels.
>>
>>50131953
I think all of those except the last one seem reasonable. An ogre killing another ogre is reasonable because ogre are soulless abominations that kill for fun and would gladly rip each other apart if asked. 500 miles could just be worded "run as far to the east as you can starting right now". Barmaids are notorious for their wet panties no change. No change for the X.
I could suggest "pour this vial in the water supply" to have a guard kill a village, but I guess just rampantly murdering everyone would take a little more. Like, "I suggest you kill all the demons in this village who look exactly like the villagers" MIGHT work, maybe.
>>
>>50132040
Yeah I getcha. I suppose something a bit more nuanced and less binary than the current crit system might be good, but I dunno how well such a system would work in practice
>>
>>50132008
So what do you have the player do during that time period? Sit and watch? Not show up until you know they'll be back at town?
>>
>>50132052
kek
this is like DM wish twisting but worse because the spell isn't even a big deal
>>
>>50132080
Even worse if you cast wish to cast suggestion
>>
>>50132075
First they need to roll a new character.
After that I usually just let them control an NPC (there's usually a couple around for this reason) or they do other stuff like help me run monsters.
To be honest this doesn;t come up much in my games.
All of my current party have healing magic (2 paladins, a bard and a cleric) so if someone is knocked out they're back up pretty quick, and they tend to want resurrection rather than a new character.
>>
>>50132095
for what purpose
>>
>>50132080
You want to munchkin a level 1 spell, you live with the consequences
>>
>>50132121
>using a spell for its purpose is munchkining
boy am I glad you're not my DM
I'm my DM :^)
>>
What's the deal with Warlord NPC in Volo's guide?
>>
>>50132121
you don't sound fun at all
>>
>>50132148
>using a spell for its purpose

No, that's Dominate's purpose.

Suggestion is a jedi mind trick
>>
>>50132162
It says something that isn't obviously harmful.
Taking an enemy out of a fight by saying "go and fetch me some bread from the next town over" isn't harmful.
Dominate is for total control and telepathic linking.
>>
Are adventure books suitable for all levels?

Don't want to buy one for my new part of level 1's unless they work for a level 1 party
>>
>>50132119
You didn't prepare suggestion or any comparable enchantment spells?
>>
>>50132207
Something that isn't obviously harmful OR unreasonable.

If your friend asked you to fetch some bread from the next city over while you knew there was bread in your kitchen, would you call that a reasonable request?
>>
>>50131932
Dwarven fortresses, demilitarized elven armadas (especially the restatted ones when people started upping the volume of ships a bit), shit like that.
>>
>>50132209

Yes, part 2 of the Dragon queen books aside, they all have an option to start at level 1, or level 3-5 (depending on the adventure).
>>
>>50132209
No. The Rise of Tiamat start at like level 10.
>>
>>50132235
So you're saying if the ogre ate bread this morning and I cast suggestion on him to bring bread from the next town over, he'll jsut throw his poop at me since it was made with bread and any old bread will do because fuck suggestion?
>>
>>50132314
"Sure, just let me finish killing these adventurers who have invaded my homeland and we can go together"
>>
>>50132336
The point of suggestion is that they IMMEDIATELY go about fulfilling the task. Killing adventurers comes later.
If we go by stupid rulings like that, I can suggest a guard pour a vial down the well and he'll say "sure, just let me live the next 80 years of my life peacefully first"
I could suggest you hand me something two feet away from you and it would be unreasonable because I could just get it myself.
>>
>>50132314
That will teach us to expect anything reasonable coming out of a player's mouth.
>>
>>50132383
You want it from the next town over, so it's not a priority if I have bread in my hut.

Some cunt summoning badgers to attack my battle brother, that's a fucking priority
>>
>>50132314
>My request was unreasonable, so that means he does something retarded, right?

Or maybe you should just accept that suggestion isn't a combat-ending domination effect.

If you had asked the Ogre to fetch you some bread, he'd get you the nearest source of edible bread. This is the sort of thing that works better for out of combat usage though.

Again, just imagine the Suggestion as if it were being asked of you by your best friend. Would you dash into the horizon for your friend? Probably not. Would you take a break from guarding to get them some wine? Sure.
>>
>>50132418
It's not about whether a friend saying it is reasonable, its about whether its reasonable. If your employer asked you to get bread from the next town over, it's not unreasonable. If an athletics coach says to run 5 miles, it's reasonable. Why am I being held to the standards of an easily brushed off friend?
>>
Are vegepygmys in the monster manual?
>>
>>50131373
Because they didn't have stats until 5e. In AD&D, the only catfolk we had were Rakasta from Mystara/Red Steel (and who remembers them?) and they got replaced by generic Catfolk in 3e.
>>
>>50132483
>If your employer asked you to get bread from the next town over, it's not unreasonable.
It kind of is and there's probably labor laws against that kind of shit in most civilized countries if it's not your job to do this.
>>
File: goblin_assassin_by_vablo-d9zkx34.jpg (292KB, 1600x1166px) Image search: [Google]
goblin_assassin_by_vablo-d9zkx34.jpg
292KB, 1600x1166px
So I just played a goblin for the first time and while fun, it locked me out of most of the social parts of the game. What would you do to make a goblin more useful in situations like this? I was thinking I could forge some documents giving me some protected status but I doubt most people would take the time to read them when facing a goblin...
>>
>>50132496
Not in the core Monster Manual, but they are in Volo's Guide to Monsters. Thornies, too. As are Froghemoths and Flail Snails.
>>
>>50132517
I guess those interns working for spielberg/etc are unreasonabley reasonable.
>>
>>50132534
Fuck. I could have sworn they were. Thank god for /tg/.

You're a swell guy anon.
>>
>>50132526
Depends on the setting and where you are in that setting. I seem to recall that some of the more cosmopolitan areas of Eberron (particularly Sharn) don't discriminate against gobbos - at least not officially.

Otherwise, yeah forged or official documents stating that you're an agent of someone who it's best not to fuck with.
>>
>>50132535
>comparing any sort of job to interning with the rampaging ego trips that are most film directors
>>
>>50132483
It's completely unreasonable to fetch bread from that far when there's more closer. If you asked an Ogre that in the middle of a fight I would have them lob a piece of Hard Tack at your skull.

Asking someone to run 5 miles when they're expecting to do athletic training is one thing, but if your athletics coach showed up and told you to run laps while someone was breaking into your house, that would also be pretty unreasonable.

Just because the order comes from an authority figure doesn't immediately make it reasonable. You want a reasonable thing to tell an Ogre to do while in a fight to distract him? You'd need to tell him to sound an alarm, get reinforcements, or fetch more weapons and armor from the armory.
>>
>they didn't make PC stats for Grungs

i'm literally fucking furious, I would have loved to be a tiny green pepe
>>
So is telling the enemy to knock out their friends because they are actually dopplegangers reasonable?
>>
>>50132657
If they have low Int & Wis, then sure
>>
>>50132620
I'd say use Ghostwise Halfling, replace most of the racials with something that's closer to their Volo's abilities.
>>
>>50132657
Perhaps, if they're smart enough to know what a doppelganger is, though it's also rather obviously dangerous.
>>
>>50132526

Take the charlatan background, but you're pretending to be an undercover gnome infiltrating gobbo society.
>>
>>50132657
If you can convince them to knock them out because they're doppelgangers, you can convince them to kill them.
>>
File: 1478121376165.png (437KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1478121376165.png
437KB, 612x612px
So, one of my players wants to make a character that's loosely based off Tracer in which he's a wild magic sorc occasionally phases in and out of reality in response to certain stimuli due to <<<backstory>>>.
I think it's a cool thematic idea, but I'm having trouble thinking of a way to make it fun in game.
A few things I've been thinking about include
>Any of his rolls of 13 activates the ability, the potentially high frequency is slightly offset by the fact that it's a 6man party
>Revamping a third of the wold magic table to this ability
>Make him use his variant human feat to get a homebrew feat that's a glorified "cast blink x times per long rest"
Halp /tg/
>>
I have a Wild Magic sorcerer in my campaign.

Does anybody have any good origins for their power I can borrow?
>>
>>50132882
An arcane mushroom shaped like a wizard hat grows from their head, giving them their sorcerer powers.
>>
>>50132831
>6man party
No one can help you.
>>
>>50132763
I already went with urchin. I'm proficient with a disguise kit though so I might pass for an ugly halfling.
>>
>>50132942
I had a DM who willingly ran a 10man party. We were down to 6 regulars with 1-2 others within a few months and he did fine.
>>
>>50132882
Your grandfather was someone exceedingly boring who couldn't think of anything creative or interesting to do with himself or his RPG characters. he asked for some advice on the town message board, and afterwards set out to fuck a nymph prostitute hoping their chaotic ways would spice up his life. it didn't, but it did have interesting consequences later down the family tree.
>>
>>50132942
6 man parties are just an excuse to drop a beholder at level 7
>>
File: 1476327663747.jpg (130KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1476327663747.jpg
130KB, 499x499px
>>50133028
so meta i'd do it
>>
>>50132967

That's probably the best way to go then if that was already your background. Or if you're proficient in decepiton just lie to everyone and say you lost your family and got cursed by a hag or something.
>>
>>50128480
Common, do they speak it?
>>
>>50133029
>beholder at level 7
>>
>>50133084
According to the xp formula, a party of 6 level 7 characters facing a single beholder is just a medium encounter, so they should be fine
>>
>>50128956
lol i smash
>>
>>50130629
Savage Monsters and ancient trapped ruins is all you need.
>>
>>50131932
Literally the spelljammer. Have you even read the setting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelljammer#The_Spelljammer
>>
So for my next campaign, I want to make the setting like this:

Magic use opens up your mind to outsiders, which include gods, but also demons, old ones, and fey. This applies to faith based magic as well, though the outsiders generally try to appear as that which you have faith in.

In practice this means rolling on sanity tables if you cast spells, at a rate yet to be determined, though I'm leaning towards once or twice a session.

You can block the beings by using Spice, which shields your mind from outsider interference Spice is incredibly rare, and wars are fought over regular access to it.

Because unspiced magic users pose such a huge threat to society, its use is heavily regulated. Mages who flaunt the regulations are labeled apostates, and punished swiftly and harshly.

In practice, this means that obvious magic use will generally result in the NPCs reporting you to the authorities or trying to end you.

Lots of mercenary groups have begun operating in the shadows to secure spice for themselves by stealing from the mega-guilds that dominate society.

Sound fun?
>>
>>50133194
Dragon Age has some similar aspects (magic regulation, magic drawing outsider attention, apostasy) if you want some inspiration.
>>
File: skeptic's spice.png (7KB, 64x128px) Image search: [Google]
skeptic's spice.png
7KB, 64x128px
>>50133194
>>
>>50133111
Is that with or without its lair and accompaniments?
>>
>>50130384
I play the most stuck-up wizard you've ever seen and for each spell I make up a cheesy arcane name while I melodramatically perform the incantations
>>
So what are the limits on, and best uses of, Illusory Reality for mages? Seems really strong but I'm trying to figure out the best ways to use it. Best idea so far is just to cast silent image to create a faux-Drawmanji's instant fortress out of adamantine to hide in and launch spells out of.
>>
>>50133296
That's just a lone beholder by itself, challenge rating 13
>>
>>50132831
I would say to just let him take misty step and revamp the entire wild magic table to be more teleportation focused. Maybe for one he'll appear beside the nearest enemy, or summon a bunch of monsters from wherever he went, or end up somewhere frigid for a moment and take Cold damage as a result.
>>
>>50130955
I dunno, I feel like its HP should be higher because of how damn durable the things are.
>>
>>50133194
So pretty much just Warhammer + dune?
>>
>>50130104
Actually a Lich is Challenge 21 and Krakens (Challenge 23) are noted as being acceptable Warlock patrons in Volo's Guide to Monsters (see Kraken Priests).
>>
>>50133334
+shadowrun
>>
>>50133319
So, you're just walking through the forest/underdark when a lone beholder pops out of nowhere and wants to fight?
>>
>>50132831
Give him a quest to seek out a reclusive hadozee alchemist who can devise a piece of armour to help disable/counter some of the more negative effects of the temporal displacement. Great opportunity for a time-frozen dungeon.
>>
>>50133378
Lone Beholder wants to battle!
dun dun dun dun nununu dun dun dun
>>
>>50133353
Where does it says so though?
As far as I've read Kraken Priests are not even warlocks and use wisdom for spells.
>>
So why did 5e basically scrap everything from 4e and just go back to being 5e with the power level slightly toned down?

Surely after the clusterfuck of 4e, they should have tried something new?
>>
>>50127933
>Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

fuck yourself
>>
>>50133450
Anon are you lost
>>
>>50133450
Why the anger, friend?
>>
>>50133450
It's a good book worth the money, anon.
>>
>>50132526
Warlock 2 for at-will disguise self?
hat of disguise?
>>
>>50133448
5e is less like 3.5e than people say it is.

And no, 4e *was* their attempt at trying something new, but they changed so much (and in poor ways) that people lashed out against it.
>>
>>50133450
I have the old 2e rtfs and I still had the books. It was worth it and TSR/Wizards books are generally very nice to have as physical things.
>>
How do you deal with intimidation?

barbarian intimated me, telling me to go pick something up, rolls a nat20 on me

how does that work? it's not mind control, he can't force my character to do that shit
>>
>>50132620
>>50132667
Small, Amphibious
+2 Dex +1 Con,
Poisonous Skin and Standing Leap as in the statblocks.
Immune to poison

There, probably too good but still less broken than the Yuan-ti.
>>
>>50133194
definitely sounds interesting and would play, but how would it work mechanically?
>>
Can I create an illusion over an object?

example: there is a rock on the ground. I create an illusion over it to appear as though it isn't there.
>>
>>50133543
you shouldn't be using charisma checks against each other in party, apart from maybe deception vs insight
>>
>>50127933
>>50127518
Do all 900 pokemon.
>>
>>50133538
So you make a hybrid of 3.5 and 4e.

You don't just make 3e again
>>
>>50133550
Oh, and water dependency. That will be fun when your DM puts you in a desert.
>>
So our GM wants to translate our old 3.5 game into 5e, but I ran into a big wall, see my old char was a both divine and arcane monk (fochluchan lyrist/Sublime Chord/Chameleon etc) with 5th level spells on both at 12th level, how can I come close to this in 5e?
>>
>>50133571
Short rest = encounter powers
Long rest = dailies
Hit dice = healing surges

They did, anon.
>>
>>50127962
Gotcha covered broski.

>>50127933
Previous thread
>>
>GM a game on roll20 anon, it'll be fun anon

Jesus christ some of these people. Some dude made three threads in the applicatiom forum and pm'ed me, and another kid was literally "i'm 16 and sadistic with a wicked sense of humor XD" and then didn't even write an application, just said "can i play"

Hold me 5eg
>>
>>50133601
>Short rest=encounter powers
Except encounters powers refreshed at 5 minutes instead of 1 hour
>>
>>50133597
What was your character, thematically? Start from there. They're different systems so it's unlikely you'll hit the exact same mechanical sweet spot you accomplished before. But, on the bright side, your character will probably be relatively less shit in 5e than 3.5e.
>>
>>50133644
>Muh power level
The power level in 5e is explicitly meant to be lower than either 4e or 3.5. The spirit is the same.
>>
>>50133644
4e had a definitively more heroic tone to it than 5e. There's a variant in the DMG to make short rests 5 minutes if you want to get closer to that.
>>
>>50133597
From just what you've said so far, you're a bard.
>>
>>50133627
i'll play anon :^)
>>
>>50133627
I'm a 13 year old girl ^^ and I'm reeeeeallly random xD!
*holds up spork*
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM xD

are those the kind of people you play with?
>>
>>50133650
A studious wanderer who leaned more into the natural side of magic (druid list and bard list) while being optimistic and joyful.

>your character will probably be relatively less shit in 5e than 3.5e.
Except I wasn't shit, I had 5th level spells at 12th level and almost double the spell slots than a character my level (because dual casting).
>>
>>50133725
Sounds like you could just go straight lore bard, then.
>>
>>50133679
Actually 10th level druid 17th level bard in a 12th level character
>>
>>50133725
Ehh, play lore bard and snag some druidy spells with magical secrets? Upbeat wanderer seems like a pretty normal bard character
>>
>>50133725
Bard (base bard has a spell list that lines up more with druid than with most other classes and gets to poach spells from any list) or Land Druid, Scholar or Hermit background.
>>
>>50133627
Did you really expect much else?
>>
>>50133562
>>50133543
I just got kicked out of the game

I was holding a sword the fighter wanted, I threw it behind me and told him to go get it. He uses intimidate and rolls a 20, and I'm now afraid of him. tells me to go pick it up.

I say no, my character will fight if he is that afraid.
>>
>>50133725
>>50133597
>Arcane divine double casting
You can't do that in 5e, your character will be either druid or bard (becuase both will make you shit) so, imo, reroll a new char.

Also I guess you were 2 levels monk for evasion and kept all the goodies (AC and Unarmed damage) from feats?
>>
>>50133597
Wot4E Monk, just say your spells are druidic and bardic, boom, done.
>>
How come I can't come up with any interesting good player characters.
It's like I've spent too much time either DMing or just coming up with adventures and settings on a free time when not playing for a long time, so all I get inspired to do are antagonists.
>>
>>50133627
In a forever DM and just finding a game is cancer. Every listing has 80 applicants already and the homebrew settings are so shit. I thought I finally found a decent normal game one time until I read a custom races thread the DM posted that included hermaphrodite Kitsune among other classics like angels and demons.
>>
>>50133557

Yes, absolutely.
>>
>>50132052
You win the thread. Good job.
>>
>>50133864
Play an evil campaign?
>>
>>50133706
No, those are the kind of people i do everything I can to avoid

>>50133804
I've had mostly good experiences as a player. Good people do exist on there

>>50133870
I'm running LMoP. Try and find my lfg on there
>>
Is it possible to play a Drow Bard for my next campaign without going full edgelord?
>>
>>50133746
>>50133650
I guess I can't also cast greater mage armor (mage armor now), shield of fair and barkskin plus my monk's armor for absurd AC, right? As far as I know anything that gives you AC doesn't stack in 5e
>>
whats ur favorite 5E adventure faggots?
>>
>>50133957
Yeah who even cares? Drow are just another kid if elf
>>
>>50133378
>So you're walking through an area where beholders are known to exist, and the abomination with a superiority complex and hatred of all living things except itself wants to fight?

If that's too far-fetched for you, just say they came near its lair and it wants the disgusting non-it to get off it's lawn.
>>
>>50132002
>being literally dm's rails
>>
File: Elf.jpg (517KB, 700x1082px) Image search: [Google]
Elf.jpg
517KB, 700x1082px
>>50133957
How are you going to play it? Typical Drow will be an edgelord as a PC because they're generally edgelords as NPCs.
>>
>>50128148

As a human, can you see 200 feet away? I sure hope so
>>
>>50133450
Feeling guilty there, bro?
>>
>>50133929
I guess, that's what I've been thinking lately myself.
Now not to find a group that are too much of edgy murgerhobos. Some degree is ok though.
>>
>>50132002
>be warlock
>pick levitate invocation
>never fall
Boom done
>>
>>50134030
I've been wanting to play an evil campaign myself lately, but we only do heroic stuff in my group
We've talked about doing world of darkness though, so that might end up evil
>>
>>50132002
>shit gm has demon pretend to be guardian angel
>fall

>take time to ask guardian angel what to do in time critical situation, innocent dies
>fall

>guardian angel says idunnolol
>be indecisive in a crisis
>fall

>guardian angel falls
>fall

Plenty of ways that can go wrong
>>
>>50134034
>be a monk
>slow fall
>never fall
boom mode
>>
>>50134009
Beholder's are too paranoid about getting killed by imaginary threats to leave their lair to fight some adventurers.
>>
>>50133810
You're better off. No game is better than bad game.
>>
>>50134062
>guardian angel falls
>becomes literal semendemon
>>
>>50134084
so, an ooze?
>>
>>50134072
Then why would a Beholder ever be a threat to anyone or anything and thus need killing?

C'mon, be more imaginative.
>>
>>50134103
I'm sure it exists in SOME game.
>>
>>50134104
More imaginative is thinking of a non-beholder creature to throw at your party.
>>
>>50134064
Except you fall, and if big enough fall you take damage.
>>
>>50134072
Beholder dreams that something or someone will come to kill it in its lair, so it moves elsewhere to relocate. Gets murdered by adventurers on the way
>>
>>50134014
Thinking a Male Drow Bard who lost his partner.(stolen from above, or left, up to the gm on that) Now feels obligated to find this woman who disappeared.

Probably start off hating other elves but being generally okay with everyone else. Hopefully develop him and turn him good aligned over time.
>>
>>50134062
>fall
>Not having a dm so incompetent that they don't even know about falling
>>
>>50134124
Not unless you're creating it yourself, friendo. Otherwise it's just another monster from the book.

Nice try though ;^)
>>
>>50134011
Getting your game on autopilote, while you sip on your MtDew, what could be better.
>>50134062
You up there should sort your shit out, not my problem, was following orders as usual.
>take time to ask guardian angel what to do in time critical situation, innocent dies
I think you can only do it in dreams or something. If I got not instructions, blame the angel.
>guardian angel says idunnolol
Problem is not on my end, angels know better, you should fire him, I dinndu nufin.
>guardian angel falls
Blame the management, give me another one.
>>
File: 1335702745-568934-4.jpg (556KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1335702745-568934-4.jpg
556KB, 801x1200px
>>50134137
Why was your partner stolen/left? Why hate other Elves and not just [sub-type here]? Did Elves steal your partner?

Sounds dandy if you can play it off, but always think why. I've had a few players who forget why their characters would do something and they got murderous (and eventually murdered) fast.
>>
>>50134014
I honestly feel that a lot of the D&D games have made it a workable possibility. The best NWN1 expansion had an entire chapter about a Drow rebellion.

There's a lot of iconic Drow NPCs in BG/NWN whose outlook on things might make a workable True Neutral type ethos without going full edge (Solaufein, post-redemption Viconia, Nathyra (who only seems to be evil on a personal level/to qualify for her prc)).
>>
>>50134014

I generally ban drow from my games because I don't want elf-niggers in the game. If they were described as being dark grey I wouldn't mind them
>>
>>50134231
(That said, full disclosure, I tend to play up the differences between elves in my homebrew more as a clusterfuck of feuds that sometimes happen to line up with what humans see as a dark/wood elf divide, there's no great supernatural evil keeping them in caves, they're actually fairly outdoorsy and tend to live further north)
>>
>>50129150
Yeah, it's bullshit that Strength users get to have an edge in melee combat. Us Dex users want equal melee efficiency!

Oh, but we'll also keep our ranged weapon superiority, buff to AC, and having the most utilized saving throw in the whole system.
>>
>>50134223
>Why was your partner stolen/left?
Well my dm likes to make up that kind of thing and he usually does service to it too. I was thinking adventurers actually may have captured or convinced her to leave, but he likes to be creative.

Why hate other Elves and not just [sub-type here]?
They look like me but I've never seen them before and they treat me like shit probably. Generally other races are a bit more open but I could just be xenophobic in general if it works better
Did Elves steal your partner?
Maybe?

I just wanted a challenge to play socially and the dm really likes if we have 'interesting' characters. No one has really done anything special snowflakey before, we're usually just bland characters.
>>
>>50134297
All the listed weapons are d8 weapons though. You'll never use versatile on a sword and board build. He's saying that melee dex has very little room for flavor/different looking weapons compared to str
>>
File: Drizzt.png (87KB, 217x338px) Image search: [Google]
Drizzt.png
87KB, 217x338px
>>50134231
It certainly can be a possibility, I would be daft to say 100% it wasn't. Let us not forget Drizzt Do'Urden who was good of his own free will.

One must keep in mind how Drow are presented in the RPG game manuals and not assume the player read/played extras. Solely off the manuals they come across as evil and I've had many Drow players, in games I've GMed and played in, who could out cut a razor.

That was were I was coming from, but I agree with you. It's a possibility and I speak of the common Drow, not the gems we're presented with in the extras.
>>
>>50133965
Basically it's like this:

- If it gives you an AC calculation ("13 + Dex" or "10 + Dex + Wis"), it never stacks, choose the one you want to use.

- If it gives you an AC bonus ("+2 to AC"), it stacks with all other bonuses but never with other features that shares its name (no doubling up on Shield of Faith, but you can Shield of Faith, a normal shield, and the Shield spell).
>>
>>50134130
Pretty sure the joke is that monks never use slow fall.
>>
>>50134323
Heh, I'd say that something like SotU shows that you could probably have some justification for it to be more widespread than just gems, but yeah in general mainstream drow underdark culture is a tangled pit of cultural, supernatural and environmental influences that would probably keep feeding this shit for centuries even if Lolth kicked the bucket.
>>
>>50133957
Going to be honest, if I was doing that I would almost literally just make him be Krevlornswath of the Deathwok Clan.
>>
>>50134297
Str users have armors that could overpower all dex ac bonuses and they have stronger damage weapons, including two-handed. And they have a lot of melee weapon variaton.
And for dex there is only one non-light weapon for a single weapon build and that is rapier. Not counting a whip of course.
>>
>>50134422
>not being a whip-using bugbear fighter/rogue
>>
>>50134422
Dex users have bows/etc, which do more on average than greatswords. Specifically, hand crossbows do more.
>>
>>50134658
>muh hand crossbows
I swear if 2e came after 3e every fucking system mastery rules lawyer would be latching on dart grandmaster like a leech on a fresh wound.
>>
New thread
>>50134791
>>50134791
>>50134791
>>
>>50134658
Well, if you judge by raw, greatsword deals 2d6, and greatbow only 1d8, so by itself they don't. And if you count variouls skills and spells, melee has a lot of them too.
The point was that dex melee fighters should be able to have some variety too.
>>
File: Despair.png (283KB, 653x993px) Image search: [Google]
Despair.png
283KB, 653x993px
>>50134116
Behold the terror of the 3.5 OGL
>>
>>50130817
Not entirely sure about the scaling, might do, might not. If you Play Lost Mines before, then simply jump directly to chapter 5 of Hoard. Have Leosin Erlanthar or Ontharr Frume approach the characters after they've gained some notoriety for discovering the Spellforge and hire them to follow a shipment of loot stolen by the cult. They end up in a Roadhouse north of the Mere of Dead Men, and there it goes.

Alternatively, you could have Phandalin be raided while the PCs are in town, assuming they've grown to care about the people there. You would have to scale things up, yes, but not that much, the module is already pretty harsh.
>>
>>50133662
Agreed, 5e is explicitly lower power, far more similar in powerlevel to ad&d.

Out of curiosity, if one wanted a 4e or 3e powerlevel campaign in 5e, is there a way to accomplish that?

I feel like the starting point would be more common magic, bonus feats, and maybe adding some fraction of level to certain Scores to increase the gap between levels. Perhaps change the scaling speed of the proficiency bonus?
>>
>>50134017
You can see about a Mile off on flat land before horizon, iirc.

You could see further if no curvature of earth
>>
Starting my first 5ed campaign and I only have one, difficult, subjective question.

What are the biggest pitfalls of this system and how can I work around them?
>>
>>50134323
There are nonevil Drow.

>Church or Eilistraee.
>Church of the Masked Lady (Eilistraee/Vhaeraun hybrid).

Vhaeraunites are typically evil, but far less backstabbing than lol that worshippers, and are willing to work off others if they have cause.

A Drow raised by nondrow is fairly unlikely to be evil.

Individual Drow have individual tendencies, and may be amenable to different views. Example: Liriel Baenre.

And depending on your timeline, one of the following is true:

A portion of the Drow don't have fiendish blood, and for them the evil is entirely learned behavior, no evil nature that they would even have to strive against.

Dark Elves are a thing again as of 138x DR. Stats as high Elves, but with Drow weapons and languages. High magic separated them from the Drow curse.
>>
>>50135971
>What are the biggest pitfalls of this system and how can I work around them?
Matter of opinion, but:
>1. Lack of character options.
>2. Very limited feat slot access.
>3. Game assumes almost no magic items in-setting.
>4. Chosen power level is basically drawn-out e6 with scaled down monsters. Much lower than past 2 editions, may not suit the kind of game you want to run.

Will continue in new thread if desired
>>
Does anyone have any good custom character sheets? I'm playing a barbarian if that matters. for fillable is better, but not necessary... ty
Thread posts: 384
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.