[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 378
Thread images: 41

File: volo.png (2MB, 1570x882px) Image search: [Google]
volo.png
2MB, 1570x882px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>50039492

Final Stretch Edition

Only a couple more weeks until Volo's Guide to Monsters. Although we won't know the quality until it comes out, from what we've seen do you think that more books should be done like this in the future? Should they have just released a Monster Manual 2?
>>
File: Gnoll Lore.png (1MB, 704x927px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Lore.png
1MB, 704x927px
>>50047310
Here's some lore about Gnolls, released today
>>
>>50047310
>from what we've seen do you think that more books should be done like this in the future
Depends on if they get stuff that should be there in.
I think it'll be ite.
>>
File: Lizardfolk Lore.png (818KB, 636x842px) Image search: [Google]
Lizardfolk Lore.png
818KB, 636x842px
>>50047310
>>
File: Flind.png (817KB, 636x839px) Image search: [Google]
Flind.png
817KB, 636x839px
>>50047310
Big Gnoll stats
>>
Is 5e like the other iterations of d&d? Like board game roll die make character?

Want to get back
>>
File: Nightmare Speaker.png (858KB, 636x841px) Image search: [Google]
Nightmare Speaker.png
858KB, 636x841px
>>50047310
Yuan-Ti Nightmare Speaker stats
>>
>>50047379
It's a TRPG bro.
>>
>>50047334
You've been spamming this pdf for how many months now?
>>
>>50047390
>spamming
>>
File: Yuan Ti Lore.png (1013KB, 636x841px) Image search: [Google]
Yuan Ti Lore.png
1013KB, 636x841px
>>50047310
Holy shit this illustration is fucking evil
>>
>>50047310
>Only a couple more weeks until Volo's Guide to Monsters.
Or for those who buy it at WPN stores or Roll20, four days.
>>
File: Gnoll Lore 2.png (784KB, 636x838px) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll Lore 2.png
784KB, 636x838px
>>50047310
More Gnolls
>>
>>50047410
Hey, that's pretty awesome actually. Are any kind anons going to be great and take phone pics of the races for us?
>>
Are Hobgoblins getting a PC stat block in Volo's?

I want to get tactical.
>>
File: Hobgoblin Iron Shadow.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Hobgoblin Iron Shadow.png
1MB, 800x1055px
>>50047455
We can only hope, friend.
>>
File: Barghest.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Barghest.png
1MB, 800x1055px
>>50047310
Barghest
>>
So Tiamat is a thing. What other gods' avatars (from any setting) would people like to see?
>>
>>50047455
We don't know yet, but
>Firbolgs: pg 106-107
>Goliaths: pg 108-109
>Lizardfolk: pg 111-112
There's a 1-2 page discrepancy they might fit on.
>>
>>50047508
Bane
>>
File: Kobold Lore 2.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Lore 2.png
1MB, 800x1055px
>>50047509
As much as I would love to play as a hobgoblin, I would love more that it would be kobolds. But hey, both H and K could fit between Goliaths and Lizardfolk.
>>
Making a level 6 High Elf wizard. Help me try to decide between abjuration, divination, and illusion schools. Also whether to get a feat or asi
>>
File: Kobold Inventor.png (2MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Inventor.png
2MB, 800x1055px
>>50047310
Also here's a kobold inventor
>>
>>50047542
max INT
if your game is going at least to 14 illusionist wizards are probably the strongest (and most fun) battlefield controllers in the whole game
>>
File: Goblin Lore.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Lore.png
1MB, 800x1055px
Here's some lore about Goblins
>>
>>50047509
>>50047539
Actually now that I think about it, if it's in alphabetical order, goblin (or goblinoid, or something) should be between firbolgs and goliaths. So I've got no idea how they're organizing it if it's not alphabetical.
>>
File: Nilbog.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Nilbog.png
1MB, 800x1055px
Hey, here's a Nilbog for some reason
>>
>>50047594
You give me hope that both Hobgoblins and Kobolds will be available.
>>
Last time I'll post it until like Friday or we post a new episode:

My group decided to start podcasting our sessions, calling it
Bards & Nobles

We're on most social media sites by that name, you can go straight to the website though at

www.bardsandnobles.com to check it out.
>>
>>50046269
After we get done laughing the event is just retconned away so as not to piss off the players who DIDN'T decide to be ok with killing themselves.
Which, once again, begs the question of why they would let it cast fireball instead of self-immolation.
Spontaneous combustion even SOUNDS like a wild magic effect damnit.
>>50046616
Personal suggestion, the Catapult spell. Magic Initiate can grab it, and i can't see a good reason that damaging the object WOULDN'T work for alchemists fire or acid.
>>
>>50047594
Maybe:
Goblinoids (Goblins, Hobgoblins)
Half-Giants (Firbolgs, Goliaths)
Kobolds
Lizardfolk
>>
Playing my first wizard, what interesting/fun spells can i take? Not looking to blast, and the character won't use fire due to backstory.

Starter sessions got us to 3, but i'm allowed to play around with my 2nd and 3rd level spells gained until next session.
>>
Twinned spell and phantasmal force.

Can I make two creatures believe each other is me, then silent image myself and make them fight each other?
>>
>>50047719
Shield and absorb elements are amazing spells for sheer power-for-spellslot 1st level spells.
Levitate, invisibility, detect thoughts, misty step are all great second level spells that never really fall off too hard.
>>
File: KOBOLDS CONFIRMED.png (248KB, 550x264px) Image search: [Google]
KOBOLDS CONFIRMED.png
248KB, 550x264px
WAIT A SECOND
>>
>>50047719

You can do a lot with invisibility as an RP tool. Trick someone into giving you something, and run away invisible. Dick around in the inn spooking people.
>>
>>50047752
>greatly suppressed gag reflex
>servicing their dragon masters
>>
>>50047732
if your illusion fits within a 10-foot cube it's game
silent image is concentration and so is phantasmal force - you can't use both simultaneously
>>
>>50047333
The "lore you know" on gnolls made me rethink them. They are a lot more monstrous than I realized.
>>
>>50047861
you and I weren't reading the same monster manuals then
>>
>>50047310
Volo's looking fucking excellent. I'm hyped as fuck for that first part. What we've seen of the Illithids is really intriguing and what i've read about Gnolls makes me think of hundreds of encounter and even adventure ideas...quality work, do want.

Of course I'm sure all of this was already said in supplements of yore, but I'm sure Volo's will be the perfect supplement for both new DM and "experienced" DMs who missed the golden age of D&D.
>>
File: mfw 5e phb.png (290KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
mfw 5e phb.png
290KB, 540x304px
>>50047958
>the golden age of D&D
Anon, you're *in* the golden age of D&D.

>popularity is surging
>acceptance of it as a hobby is at an all-time high
>more accessible to learn, play, and run than it ever has been
>content put out by first-party publisher is top-notch with a few notable exceptions
>content is being put out by third-party publishers regularly, including super-high-quality stuff like Tome of Beasts
>>
>>50047604
>goblin jester
So doing that.
>>
>>50048004
I've always thought the golden age was 2e or 1e on their peak, even with the satanic panic, a lot of classic modules and setting came into being.
>>
>>50048004
>popularity is surging

This is likely because of those videos that capture e-celeb sessions.

The ones I've see are often "funny" and "random" games that contribute to an overall lower level of play. Personally I loathe this type of game, and prefer more serious and down to earth games. But to each their own, and it's good if money is being put into the tabletop genre.

>>50048061
Same, I feel those old adventures and books captures a certain spirit of wonder and mystery that I don't feel when I read newer books.
>>
So last night, my players finished hour 6 or 7 of a 6 or 7 hour combat.

>Players have a macguffin
>macguffin is a gateway to an extradimensional prison. It's also an extradimensional prism. Significant things that happen to you in the prison, usually happen to every version of yourself outside of it.
>Long ago, a golden dragon used this prison to convert every version of himself to evil. He then allied with those versions of himself across the multiverse to take over the multiverse. Every decision ever made across the vastness of possibility creates a new universe, with a new golden dragon, that is just as allied to him as every other golden dragon. They're all magical beings capable of the most potent spells, and they're slowly and methodically taking over the multiverse.
>the players are in a corner of the multiverse that is just starting to be taken over.
>after fighting and stealing and becoming heretics to the church, they have the prison, and they want to use it on the dragon to kill him, and all versions of himself.
>the only problem is that the prison is currently host to the most vile heretics of the true church of their God of Capitalism (whom they still believe in), and if they put the dragon in, they'll take the heretics out.
>so their big plan is to enter the prison as guards, and kill the heretics first, freeing up the prison crowding issue, and letting them safely imprison the dragon without unleashing the worst form of heresy imaginable: Communism.
>>
>>50048004
honestly i have no idea why d&d hasn't exploded to fuck to in popularity. other tg has gone crazy but d&d is still having "steady growth" but if yugioh can become fuckoff massive and be twice as shit as before, how come d&d can't?
>>
Isn't Volo's guide supposed to be in stores by now? A little surprised there aren't leaks yet.

>>50048061
2e was peak "classic" DnD. Today it's more popular but very different in style.
>>
Hey hivemind, what are some good ways I as a DM can use minor illusion to screw with players?
>>
>>50048215
Ghosts. Lots and lots and lots of ghosts, and one very territorial old wizard.
>>
>>50048111
>a long time ago, when we were doing the world building collectively for this setting, somebody suggested a race of bird like beings that were so good at drawing "anime girls come to life".
>Everyone laughed, but the idea of drawings coming to life was pretty cool, so the race gets put in.
>in trying to figure out just what the fuck was going on in the world after the players and myself took turns playing god ruining it in world building, I came up with the following narrative
>society of artists lives in a holy city, blessed by the god of capitalism.
>unfortunately, one member of that society, was corrupted by a great evil: the notion of "from each according to his ability, to each according to their need"
>this member was extremely influential, and corrupted 4 others, a Judge, the most prominent Musician, An Academic, and the Minister of Finance.
>together, they were able to corrupt the entire society.
>soon, blood rituals were being conducted to transfer spiritual power among them, and like all communist societies, the elite benefited the most. The 5 fingers of the hand of communism as they were later called gained great spiritual power while leaving their companions in revolution spiritually bankrupt.
>the god of capitalism saw this and struck down their floating city, before imprisoning all 5 of the fingers into the extradimensional prison the players now have. He used their presence in the orb to blackmail the alternate versions of themselves, and keep communism in check across the multiverse in a cold war. If they acted up, he would send some paladins in to kill them, which would kill every version of themselves.
>trapped in the orb, the fingers meditated on their spiritual power, and were eventually able to manifest them into selectively corporeal beings with incredibly potent magical abilities.

All this is just to explain why the players found themselves fighting bird like beings who could summon stands based on anime girls.
>>
>>50048215
Footsteps behind them

Sounds of moving machinery triggering when they walk over something.
>>
>>50048215
Screams in the distance luring them into traps
Illusory gold that sits on a trap, or just plain nothing
Sounds that rebound in an endless echo chamber that keeps getting louder and the party can't escape, as you're playing earrape on your speakers/mic.
>>
>>50048205

Official announced release date is the 15th.
>>
>>50048246

Right, that's the official release date but they ship beforehand.
>>
>>50048246
But WPN stores release it on the 4th
>>
>>50048086
Same, I feel those old adventures and books captures a certain spirit of wonder and mystery that I don't feel when I read newer books.

I think this sense of wonder still exists, but not in the fuckton of supplements and splatbooks both 3e and 4e broughts, some newer books that actually surprised me were Elminster's Forgotten Realms and the Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide, though the last one's focus on character options instead of just the setting's lore made me a bit unhappy.
>>
>>50048238
So the players enter this prison, and decide to take on the first commie monk they can see. Unfortunately for them, they chose to take on the most cowardly, the leader of the commies, Madoka.
>Madoka fled, and raised the alarm.
>Every other commie monk was too proud to actually ask for help from any of the others (and they were all sick of each other's bullshit after thousands of years being stuck together in a prison.
>Every one of these monks was statted out to be a challenge all their own for the party, and together, they would prove insurmountable.
>The party finds themselves fighting just two of them at the same time, The Financial Minister, Holo, and the Academic, whose name I've already forgotten, but is from some stupid show about magical railguns.
>I don't actually like most anime.
>During the next three hours, the party fights against holo and the Academic, who are forced to reveal their stands.
>Holo and the Academic fight hard, summoning a wolf and a lightning storm through their spirtual powers, but eventually the party kills the Academic, and Holo retreats severely wounded.
>This buys the party enough time to cast Leomund's Tiny Hut, and regroup.
>we call it quits for that night, and come back the next week.
>>
>>50048289
As tempted as I am, I preordered mine from Amazon...I can't justify spending extra. Just too cheap.
>>
>>50048314
>The party realizes they're fucked if they try to take all four on.
>One of the members, a Warlock who just wants to know secrets sneaks out of the hut wearing an invisibility cloak, and observes some discord amongst the monks.
>siezing his moment, he casts mass suggestion on the monks, who due to some extremely unlucky rolls on my part, fail all of their saves except for the leader.
>He suggests to them to turn against their leader.
>And they do, in their own way. They lock madoka out of the decision making process, and invite the players to participate in a grand tourney. A gauntlet of fights where the players all fight against one opponent at a time.
>unknown to the party, tourney gauntlets like this were common practice in their society before their corruption to communism and subsequent fall.
>and so the party agrees. leomund's tiny hut is banned per the rules of the tournament. It's a gentleman's agreement, but if the party had broken the rules, the monks would have united again, and that was just going to make things harder.
>so the party fights the artist first, who falls after revealing her stand, the main character from K-On, which my friends inexplicably like. Seriously, this show is trash, and I don't understand it's appeal. But whatever, muh references.
>They next challenge Saber, the Judge, and through some incredibly awesome Spiritual Hammers from the cleric (he was a crit machine), a proliferation of flying, they are able to best the Judge.
>Holo falls next, but is the most difficult fight so far, because the party is finally able to figure out what all those platinum coins the stand summons do. Holo can use them to heal, or cast powerful magic. regardless, the sorcerer's twinned polymorph saves the party (the warlock was about to die before it received 157 hitpoints from a polymorph), and bested holo.
>Finally, comes Madoka, the leader of the commies.
>>
>>50047522
He'll be a big guy.
>>
My DM wants me to make a short character sheet for my special familiar (Pact of the chain: sprite) and I'm mulling familiar ideas. Since I'm Patroned by a Fey, I figure a sprite would work best, but I also want him/her to be a bit unctuous, maybe we don't get along or they see it as a real drag to be following my orders but then we gradually warm up after a time, buddy cop style. Any ideas on familiar personalities?

Also, my DM is open to familiars outside the main 4, but they have to be found in the monster manual and have to fit the Fey theme (he's willing to let me have the imp or quasit, but says it'd be stupid to give me another non-thematic creature) and be at or below CR 1. Anything spring to mind?
>>
>>50047508
Mask.
>>
>>50048409
for you
>>
>>50048400
>Madoka moves first, and nearly punches the Sorcerer to death. He successfully traps her in a hypnotic pattern however, which buys the party a minute to plan.
>The party figures now is the time to cheat, since all the others are dead, and they cast Leomund's Tiny Hut.
>madoka wakes up from the pattern, sees what's happening, and activates her stand, which gives her the power to resurrect the dead, reversing the entropy in their systems, and grant wishes.
>She begins resurrecting her companions, and the party debates and plans and schemes harder than they ever have before.
>One wants to just give up, and take the long rest, thinking they've already lost and can try again next time with more accurate information.
>Inside I'm screaming to myself "NO" because this is bordering on hour 7 of this shit and I'm sick of anime, combat, and tiny huts. His point was reasonable though, and might have been the wisest thing to do.
>Luckily for me, the other two players, who are probably sick of this combat too, vote to try to interrupt Madoka in the resurrection process.
>So the party dominates her successfully, and gets it to wish they had full health.
>They get a full heal, and at this point, Madoka reveals stage 2 of her stand, which allows her to manipulate time (yes I know this is a bastardization of the anime, and yes I actually watched this one).
>Madoka from a minute in the future, after the domination, summons herself from the past, preventing any more wishes from being granted.
>The spiritual manifestation of that energy remains behind though, as an anchor against paradox (since the energy is actually the one doing it, there are no causal issues).
>Madoka wasn't the brightest light bulb in the crayon box in the anime, so I play the spiritual energy as helpful but stupid. it informs the party how its abilities work, but refuses to grant any wishes not made by the summoner.
>and then The cleric gets the brilliant idea to cause a time paradox.
>>
>>50048477
>The cleric goes right up to the spiritual manifestation of madoka, and waits for the time that the monk is meant to come back.
>Right before that time, he casts Anti-Magic Field.
>The stands are magical, so they're banished when affected by it
>this causes a time paradox, since madoka was no longer around to summon the monk from the past
>I have no idea what happens when a time paradox happens. So I just go with hole in reality that sucks every thing nearby in it unless resisted.
>The cleric is right on top of the hole, and fails his strength save to resist being pulled in. He is grabbing the edge of the hole, looking straight into the formless, timeless nothingness that lies behind all reality.
>the sorcerer grabs his arm
>the sorcerer fails his strength check.
>the sorcerer is now holding onto the edge of the abyss, the cleric is holding onto him.
>the warlock grabs his rope, and ties it to a tree, and them, giving the two people some precious few seconds before they are ripped from reality and cast into an endless trip through nothing.
>the sorcerer grabs his climbing tools out of his backpack. now is his time!
>he rolls a 1, and the climbing tools fall out of his hands, knock themselves onto the cleric's head, who loses his shield as it's ripped from his back.
>finally, the cleric, desparate, ends his anti-magic field.
>this resolves the paradox, and reality sorts itself out by assuming the monk summoned himself a little later in the future than was originally thought.
>the monk is lying on the ground, breathing hard, it's feathers singed from exposure to the great chaotic void.
>the cleric, the sorcerer, and the warlock all pick themselves up, stand around the monk, and let loose. Eldritch Blasts and Hammers finish him, and by extension, the threat of communism across the multiverse.
>
>>
>>50039807
Couldn't we give them disadvantage on strength checks against larger creatures?
>>
For a first-time player, should I go with the default equipment for the Sorcerer, or should I try for something unique?
>>
>>50048569
Go with the default equipment regardless of class. You'll be able to pick up extra shit soon enough and you're usually better off with that than with rolling for starting gold.
>>
>>50048569
Equipment matters very little for sorcerers. You will always have adequate cantrip damage to fall back on. so experiment with the items DnD has to offer. Pickup interesting sounding things, like grappeling hooks, or ball bearings, etc.
>>
>>50048569
Really, the starting equipment for the sorcerer is fine. If you want to be more interesting or flavorful, get an arcane focus instead of a component pouch. A dude with a wand, orb, staff, or rod is way more interesting than a dude with a little satchel of plot convenience tied to his waist.
>>
>>50048569
The starting gold won't buy you much better, you'll want a focus and adventuring shit and that takes up the majority of your cash anyway.
>>
It's past 11, so I'm going to bed. Happy Halloween /5eg/, don't stay up too late.
>>
>>50048569
equipment is basically irrelevant for sorcerers
as long as you have your arcane focus at least
component pouches are for fags
>>
>>50048743
enjoy storing the components for spells that you actually need to track up your arsehole
>>
File: wew.png (51KB, 266x80px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
51KB, 266x80px
>>50048764
wew lad
>>
>>50048743
>>50048593
>>50048591
>>50048578
>>50048574
Well, duly-noted, everyone.
>>
>>50048215
Holy shit, 5mind is the 3aboo or 4ry we needed.
>>
File: dndnilbog.jpg (26KB, 366x280px) Image search: [Google]
dndnilbog.jpg
26KB, 366x280px
>>50047604
They nerfed the fuck out of nilbogs.

Shit. I was planning on converting one as a boss in my campaign but with this shit, I don't want them thinking I'm just making up the damage gives life and you have to kill it with heal spells abilities.

WOTC didn't even try making a proper conversion.
>>
>>50049061
5mind, I like it.
>>
File: redbarnd2.jpg (322KB, 1233x822px) Image search: [Google]
redbarnd2.jpg
322KB, 1233x822px
First time DM, currently running through LMoP, thinking of doing another prewritten adventure from WotCs after with the same group. Which module is the easiest to transition into and how early should I start fading the two together? The party just started Redbrand Hideout so we have a good few sessions until I'm out of LMoP material.
>>
File: 1472888545359.png (570KB, 838x402px) Image search: [Google]
1472888545359.png
570KB, 838x402px
Complete noob to roleplaying games here. I've been gaining interest in d&d, and have tried to get together a group of friends to play with - but none of them seem very interested in the way I do. I tried looking for clubs at my college, no luck. I tried asking my brother if he had any players in his circle of friends, still nothing. I'd really like to play d&d in person, with paper and pencil, and maybe little minis, but I'm having a hard time finding players. I feel like playing online might be my only options, with no irl friends wanting to play, in addition to schedule conflicts with d&d sessions at nearby game stores. Do you think any of the 'magic' is lost playing online, with strangers? Any new suggestions on how to find a group irl?

sorry for the off-topic, I didn't want to fill up the catalog with my blogposting
>>
Do you guys think that when they finally put out psionics rules they're still playtesting in a paperback product that it'll also have fighter and rogue subclass options? Much like how there are arcane subclasses for both classes?
>>
If a person under a Geas walks into an antimagic field, what happens to it?
>>
>>50049252
I don't know why people force a distinction between psionics and other magic

>>50049262
it ceases to function while in the amf
>>
>>50049262
I believe that the geas is suspended while in the field, returning when they leave the field.
>>
>>50049124
I like the 5e nilbog better, honestly.

Anyone who attacks them has to make a (often low-bonus) save or waste their turn praising them, and they can only die if two people hit it solid in the same turn, otherwise it's basically up to full HP.

Throw in their ability to cast confusion and it'll be a ridiculous, fun, and *dangerous* encounter.
>>
>>50049262
The player turns back into the geese they originally were before a wizard put a geas on them.
>>
>>50049252
I hope it'll have similar options for them, but there's no promise of that so far. They might save something like that for an even further-off product, maybe something setting-specific for Eberron or Dark Sun.
>>
>>50049288
Nah nigga, nilbog's were the ultimate anti-murder hobo monster. Now they're some shitty goblin sorcerer.

Video related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y782ynKRa5k
>>
File: Mindwitness.png (1MB, 793x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Mindwitness.png
1MB, 793x1044px
I'm just excited for Mindflayers. God, mindflayers are so cool.

Do you think they'd bother ceremorphising a spectator? Like I dunno, a tadpole really needs a host and they've got nothing else. A mini Mindwitness. A Mindwatcher? Mindlooker. 2 tentacles and 2 eyestalks. It'd be cute in a creep sort of way.
>>
>>50049124
*NERFED*?

The actual creature is absolutely unkillible at the levels you fight the creatures they possess. You could make an entire level 1-5 campaign about killing one of these fuckers that decides it has a greater goal to accomplish.
>>
>>50049396
cover it with oil
make an oil trail from somewhere else to it
light the end of the oil trail
do this twice
dead nilbog - environmental damage isn't dealt by a creature
>>
>>50049418
Did you miss the part where the Nilbog is actually an unkillable spirit possessing the goblin that cannot be attacked?
>>
>>50049418
>fight it alone on an empty plane with 400 skeletons, it doesn't stand a chance
>>
>>50049426
>>50049430
if you're complaining about that part then you're complaining about rakshasas and aboleths and nagas and all manner of shit that infinitely respawns
>>
>>50049292
Would be funny if geas wasn't pronounced completely different from how you think it is, retard.
>>
>>50049445
Except it doesn't go to another plane of existence it remains right in front of you and the next round that goblin you fought is now a Nilbog.
>>
>>50049445
If Aboleths return to the plane of water on death and regenerate, what would happen if a Mindflayer ceremorphised one? Could they even do it?
>>
>>50047383
>>50047371

Im seriously fucking loving these.

Volo's is shaping up to be amazing.

Good enough to get in dead tree format?
>>
>>50049462
it doesn't revive dead goblins it possesses living ones
if you kill all the other goblins before you kill it you're not gonna have to deal with it

>>50049467
dunno
>>
>>50049472
So then it moves to goblin warren #7356 and the Nilbog is there.

Like I said, it's a solid low level boss before banishing is easier.
>>
>>50049505
we don't care if it goes somewhere else, we're adventurers
those things don't plot unless you torture, mock, or abuse them
they're not a bbeg
they're just annoying
>>
>>50049396
You only get one reaction per round. It can only use that ability once per round as opposed to all the time like older editions. A DC 12 is easy as fuck to avoid the aura effect.

You used to have to either cast heal spells on the bitches or restrain them since they have the same stats as a goblin.

Now you just got to surround the fucker and it'll die pretty damn quick. Which sucks because the nilbog was made to be used to stop murder hobo antics and make the players not just blast and beat up the enemies before making skill checks or using divination magic. If the entire party just kept beating the bastard to death he'd gain temp hit points equal to all the damage they have dealt to it.

Yeah, it's really fucking nerfed.
>>
>>50048294
>>50048086

Nostalgia is a real thing. You likely feel the older editions are more mysterious and full of wonder because they're old.

Going back to actually read that shit, things are meticulously and needlessly detailed. The only thing that the older editions have on the newer ones in the art, it fires the imagination much more than current art.
>>
>>50049525
Different edition, different stats. Settle down

If you want the nilbog to be some crazy strong monster for whatever autistic reason, just up its stats yourself. Christ
>>
>>50049534
I feel differently--about the art, anyway. Comparing the two, I'd much rather have 5e's art than TSR's 1e art.
>>
>>50049539
I love the new art.
>>
>>50049534
yeah those rules sucked dick
I'm glad we have better ones now
fucking thaco shit
>>
>>50049538
The stats aren't the main issue it's the half assed conversion of it's special abilities. WOTC didn't even try.

They are supposed to just be regular stated goblins but with the ability to gain hp when damaged and take damage when given heal spells as well as the aura of confusion.

I hate to say it but pathfinder actually did a more faithful job even with the weaker aura. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/nilbog
>>
>>50047584
If you are going to make a Goblin sorceror, you'll need to switch INT with CHA on the Mage stat block and also switch out Wizard only spells
>>
So, I'm curious, what PC races are you hopiong Volo's Guide will actually have? We know we're getting Orcs and Goblins and Tritons and Tabaxi and Aasimar, but what are the potentials that we could get that you're really hoping for?

Me, I want Kobolds first and foremost. Lizardfolk or Saurials would be kind of nice, especially we haven't seen Saurials since 3e.

I'm kind of expecting we'll get Avariel, Lythari and Aquatic Elves, just because elves are always popular. :sigh:
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.u3.jpg (24KB, 459x429px) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.u3.jpg
24KB, 459x429px
>>50047752
>>
>>50049612
>>50047334
Lizardfolk are coming which I like.
Kobolds look like they might possibly come which I'd like.
>>
>>50049515
>I only play metagaming murderhobos
Well, yeah that would create a problem in a game but it has more to do with you.

>>50049525
It's a Charisma save on a CR1 singleton creature, DC12 isn't trivial for 1st-3rd level adventurers.
>>
>>50049612
>>50049625
I really want kobolds, since 5e looks like the first edition in which kobold monk might be viable.
>>
>>50049638
I don't know in what world a lawful neutral mercenary who's working for a town to eliminate a goblin group cares if, after they've killed all the goblins, that some group way off in the realm acquires a nilbog
if he gets hired to deal with those goblins one day, that's only more gold for him and his
>>
File: troll-2-oh-my-god.jpg (28KB, 619x350px) Image search: [Google]
troll-2-oh-my-god.jpg
28KB, 619x350px
>>50047584
Nilbog? That's goblin spelled backwards!

Oh my god!
>>
Why is the GOO patron so shit? Where other patrons grant useful tricks and abilities they instead get ribbons, a once per rest parry-like ability and a dramatically overvalued capstone ability to charm ONE humanoid if you catch them napping.

What the fuck were they thinking with this subclass?
>>
>>50049868
>free telepathy
>free immunity to hostile telepathy
>free resistance to psychic damage
>free 'riposte' on all psychic attacks
They've got their uses. You may as well bitch about the other pacts too. I like feylocks, and I've never seen a DM use a hostile charm effect ever, in 3 editions of DnD and pathfinder.
>>
>>50049868
>if you catch them napping
being stunned gives you the incapacitated status
you can literally perma-charm someone - with *NO SAVE* - that your monk stuns for a single round
>>
>>50049894
Or choose to drop them to 0 with non-lethal damage. Hell there are plenty of spells that'll make them a fair target for domination, off the top of my head for just the warlock last is hideous laughter.
>>
>>50049966
power word stun
>>
>>50049889
>free one way telepathic message
>you're the go to guy to fight mind flayers and just about nothing else

>>50049894
Great you've permanently got advantage on social rolls against your target and it wont attack you. Whatever use you had in mind you probably could've done the same with Charm Person or even Friends.
>>
>>50049977
I'll say it again: Feylocks defend against charm, and only charm. I have never once, in 3 editions of DnD (4 if you count Pathfinder) encountered a hostile charm effect. It's almost like it's a situational benefit that's not good in every situation. Feylocks are good at fighting fey, because they are the most likely enemy to try and charm you. GOOlocks fight aberrations because they have a lot of psychic damage.

Do you also pick beasts for your favored enemy in an undead-heavy campaign, then complain that ranger is underpowered?
>>
>>50049977
it gets a save and I can't indefinitely charm it with those
fun fact - when a metallic dragon uses change shape it gains the status of its new shape but retains only those specific features on the list
type is not one of them
so a metallic dragon that takes a humanoid shape has the humanoid type
so a metallic dragon in humanoid form can be charmed - with no save, which means they couldn't even use legendary resistance - indefinitely by a GOO lock

the more
you know
>>
File: legend_of_dragoon_010.jpg (126KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
legend_of_dragoon_010.jpg
126KB, 1024x768px
is it possible to run pic related using 5th edition?

any tips on how youd do it?

im thinking banning all the mage classes and only allowing the 1/3rd casters and paladins, and only using humans, elves, and goliaths for races. also use the full caster classes for dragoon forms just added on top of the main class.

thoughts?
>>
Okay, this probably sounds stupid but I actually need to know the answer to this ASAP for a session running right now.

If a creature large enough to pick up and eat a halfling - let's say a hill giant - grabs said halfling and stuffs it into its maw, but the halfling is a Druid and turns into a brown bear while inside the giant's mouth, what gives out first - the druid's 800-pound body or the giant's lower jaw?
>>
>>50050121
For simplicity's sake, I'd say that the giant takes some damage and spits the bear out before the transformation completes. How much damage is up to you.
>>
>>50050132

1d4 bludgeoning damage
>>
>>50049992
Feylocks also get a charm/fright area attack, an improved misty step and a save or suck spell that also charms/frightens. Yep, they're all one use per rest and that's a bit crap but it sure beats what goo gets.

>>50050020
Indefinitely get along pretty well with your telepathically linked dragon friend. Unless you're the kind of player that rolls a persuasion check and gets mad when DM doesn't let you mind-control them I don't know what you're expecting here.
>>
>>50050044
>is it possible to run pic related using 5th edition?
You'd be able to run it in a Sentai game, which no D&D edition is.
You are trying to force a peg, anon, and it will be shit.
>>50050121
The actual answer is that the druid is spat out, falls prone in the next adjacent space, giant takes a -2 to all actions for 1d4 rounds.
>>
What's one of the more 'optimal' races for monk?

I was thinking wood elf, because it would be interesting to play out and the stats look pretty solid.
>>
>>50050141
with my 33 minimum persuasion checks my friendly charmed dragon won't be unwilling to be helping me out, especially when it comes to rooting out evil which metallic dragons are already prone to do
;)
>>
>>50049251
You could ask around at those local stores if they do D&D. I only play Adventurers League at my store but I would probably go for it if some people wanted to set up a larger campaign.
>>
>>50048416
Just have it be your own shadow in a Peter Pan kind of way
>>
>>50050176
Did you try asking him nicely before kidnapping and brainwashing him to do something he would already probably do?
>>
>>50050229
he's a more effective minion and party chauffeur when he's loyally charmed ;)
>>
>>50049234
I transferred to the storm kings thunder campaign after lost mines. Went over very well.
To transition all you need to do is have someone in one of the factions (like the lords alliance) say to one of the party members that there are fucking Giants fucking shit up over there help.

And onece they are there just start the campaign at chapter 2 in one of the 3 starting locations. I recommend location 2 because the npc there are good at getting a party to care about the locals problems fast.
>>
Does anyone know a good mapping program similar to Dungeon Painter?
I have a big pack of custom tiles and shit I want to use, but since I live in Australia it would take me over a week to upload it as a custom collection.
Are there any programs that work similarly and I can just install to my PC so it can use the files without uploading?

I could do it in photoshop but it seems like that'd be really finnicky.
>>
What other wizard cantrips should I get? I got firebolt, message, and dancing lights. Need two more. I've been looking at shocking grasp and minor illusion but I'm not sure. Mage hand?
>>
File: 1345966562823.png (21KB, 489x398px) Image search: [Google]
1345966562823.png
21KB, 489x398px
>Blessed with a group that hasn't seen most of the works of fiction that I have
>Can freely rip off all kinds of anime, manga and games without any of the players knowing that I have done so
>>
>>50050283
Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation/Mage Hand. Shocking Grasp is decent for melee, but if you're in melee as a wizard, and didn't intend to be there, then someone in the party probably fucked up.
>>
>>50050267
I use Heroes of Might and Magic 5 map editor, and then take aerial screenshots of what I made...
>>
>>50050157
Wood elf, variant human (Mobile), ghostwise halfling, and half-elf are all decent choices.
>>
>>50050307
I'll get minor illusion, but what uses can I get from mage hand and prestidigitation?
>>
Is 5e way too simplified?
>>
>>50050402
no
>>
>>50050377
Mage Hand:
Open or manipulate an object from 30' away (useful if you suspect a trap)
Lift the keys off a guard's belt, from inside your cell across the room (render the guard unconscious with other spells)
Administer a healing potion to a dying ally 30 feet away (ask your DM, the hand can pour out the contents of a vial, but technically can't use magic items)

Prestidigitation:
Various RP effects
Light torches or campfires from a distance, or snuff them out (useful if opponents don't have darkvision)
Warm and flavor food (useful if your party cook sucks ass at his job)
Clean or soil material, like clothing (usefcul for removing bloodstains from your robes, or adding them to someone else's clothes to frame them for murder)
Mark an object for an hour (might be useful for navigating a maze, though the duration is limited)
Create a nonmagical trinket or illusory image in your hand that lasts until the end of your next turn (depending on how lenient your DM is, this can be game-breaking. skeleton keys are small enough to fit, as are actual keys [if you've seen them and can duplicate them])
>>
>>50050402
Nah.
>>
Read through the pastebin in OP and didn't find anything, is there a downloadable pdf of SCAG for iphone I'd love to be able to keep the book in my pocket.
>>
>>50050261
I was thinking that, just wanted to get confirmation on skt being the right choice. I'll start reading through it now so I can have at least chapter 2 memorized by the time they kill the spider in LMoP
>>
>>50049283
If they violate the geas while in the field, does the damage trigger when they leave?
>>
>>50050554

I wouldn't think so because that would rely on the geas "knowing" what the person did while in the field, which it shouldn't be able to know because it's magic and it can't exist inside an anti-magic field.
>>
>>50050463
SCAG is in the Mega trove. And none of the PDFs are big enough to cause non-shit phones problems.
>>
>>50050600
I appreciate it, thanks.
>>
>>50050377
>>50050283
Get Shape Water. So much use for it if you're creative.

You can use it to trigger trap. You can make instant cover with it. You can burst any kind of lock with it. You can use it to make useful tools. You can use it to move object.
>>
To fix Nilbolg

Nilbolg gains HP and increases max HP equal to damage dealt to it
Nilbolg is damaged normally by healing magic

Done
>>
>>50050328
Sweet, thanks.
>>
>>50050157
>>50050818
Variant Human and Half-Elf are pretty optimal for every class. Because of their floating +1 ability score bonus and other goodies.
>>
>>50050402
Nope
>>
Hi 5eg. I rolled for stats and got 8-11-11-11-14-16. What would you advice building? Level 5.
>>
>>50050875
That could work for just about any class.

But to be safe, you should probably go Champion Fighter.
>>
>>50050875
Dragon sorc. You can make use of your decent Cha and the Scales and extra HP will shore up your defenses

Pick Half-Elf and use your ASI to get

8-12-12-11-14-20
>>
>>50050875
Moon Druid

8 11 14 11 16 11

STR and DEX doesn't matter because of wild shape.
>>
>>50050875
Is that down-the-line or is that place-where-you-please?
>>
>>50050921
change the 14 to CHA or INT
>>
>>50050948
That's place where-you-please, before the race bonuses.

>>50050886
>>50050896
>>50050921
Nice, thanks!
>>
>>50047334
>speak English
Do you even Common bro?
>>
Chill Touch says
>You create a ghostly. skeletal hand in the space of a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the creature to assail it with the chill of the grave.

So do I even need line of effect to hit something, since it conjures the effect on them instead of shooting it towards them, like say Fire Bolt.
>>
DDAL05-04 In Dire Need
DDAL05-05 A Dish Best Served Cold

Just posted on DMsGuild
>>
File: Human Red Wizard.jpg (63KB, 600x827px) Image search: [Google]
Human Red Wizard.jpg
63KB, 600x827px
>>50050970
If it's place-where-you-please then you rolled fairly well. Not the best for a class with 3 primary abilities, but really well for a class with a single primarily ability and an important off-ability.

You could pull off just about any class realistically, but I would suggest avoiding Monk due to your two top-heavy stats and possibly avoiding Paladin for the same reason.

You would do particularly well with something like a dexterity-based Battlemaster fighter (bows) or a heavy-armor fighter. A rogue would be a decent pick, and any of the spellcasting classes would be pretty good.

Wizard would be my first pick. Pump that Intelligence and fuck the rest.
>>
>>50050985
>make a range spell attack
I would assume so.
>>
>>50050968
Moon Druid still need CON, in case of poison and surprise attack. It Actually everyone need CON.
>>
>>50050985

I'd rather have Chili Touch tbqh.
>>
>>50050985
You still need to see the target to cast at it.
The thing that i think is silly is that 1/2 and 3/4 cover still apply AC bonuses, it should be a melee spell attack at range. Balance stuff though i guess.
>>
>>50051028
>You still need to see the target to cast at it.

But I know the guy just ducked behind the crate. I know he's there why can't my spooky skeleton hand grab him. It's not like I'm shooting a crossbow bolt in an arc at him
>>
>>50051039
Grab Spell Sniper or something, I dunno.
>>
>>50051039
If you want the effect of sacred flame, then cast sacred flame.
>>
>>50051039
Gameplay wise, their exist save based cantrips which ignore cover, melee cantrips, and ranged attacked cantrips.
As much as i agree that, as i said, i would greatly prefer chill touch to be making a melee attack at range, like a one turn Spiritual Weapon, i understand the reason it is the way it is.
>>
>>50047333
>>50047350
>>50047371
>>50047383
>>50047407
>>50047426
>>50047486
>>50047507
>>50047539
>>50047556
>>50047584
>>50047604
I am now at that point where I don't want to even look at the previews anymore, I have faith in VGtM, and I will wait till it arrives to fully enjoy reading it from actual paper.
>>
If I wanted to play a witch with the powers of bewitchment and such which makes more sense? Enchantment Wizard or Fey-pact Warlock?

If warlock I'd be torn between Chain or Book. If you were a DM would you be opposed to an imp familiar despite being fey-pact?
>>
>>50051159
Familiars can take any shape when they are summoned. And fey patron is shit. Pick Great Old One, invest in social skills and mind control spells, and become the ultimate puppet-master.
>>
>>50051159
its not a real imp, just a spirit taking the form of an imp so it shouldnt matter

personally i dont like it but its not my game, so do whatever is fun to you
>>
>>50051318
How about you let the guy play what he wants, faggot.
>>
>>50050303
As per say of Matt Colville:
"Your game is as good as the work you steal from"
>>
>>50051323
How about no?
>>
Which attack cantrip is the objective best?

No SCAG pls
>>
>>50051330
Eldritch Blast
>>
>>50051330
Eldritch Blast, but for Warlocks with Invocations
>>
>>50051334
Even without Invocations?
>>
>>50051338
It's the most damaging one and it has multiple attack rolls instead of hit-or-miss.
>>
>>50051338
Even without invocations, weighed against firebolt there are upsides and downsides to making multiple attack rolls, but considering its force (which is almost never resisted) verus fire (very commonly resisted).
>>
>>50049061
>3aboos
>4rries
>the 5mind
Anon I love you.
>>
>>50051342
>>50051350
Cool, thanks
>>
>>50051350
Don't compare it to firebolt when firebolt is only mid-tier.

Yes EB is the best, but if you aren't a warlock the best you can get is Chill Touch.
>>
>>50047350
Shit this looks good, will they be playable?
>>
>>50051393
Is the speed reduction that good?
>>
What mundane equipment does your character carry at all times?
>>
>>50051403
le 10ft pole
>>
>>50051399
Wrong spell, you're thinking frostbolt. Chill Touch does low damage but offers utility. Your target can't have their HP restored for a round and if they're undead they have disadvantage attacking you. Even just the first part is better utility than having a d10 over a d8. The countering undead is just an added bonus.
>>
>>50051393
While i personally prefer chill touch, fire bolt has a number of benefits, targeting objects and being boosted for draconic sorcs if they so choose to name two, necrotic is almost as resisted as fire, and healing NPCs aren't particularly common... except for trolls which dislike fire.
>>
>>50051403
My wizard carries caltrops, great for ambushes or leading enemies into them with fog cloud up.

Super simple plan, grease+caltrops+fog cloud.
Sure it takes 2 spell slots, and 2+ turns to set up, but its doable at level one and is viable for the entire length of a campaign.
>>
>>50051403
Vials of oil, a dagger, an iron pot and cook's utensils. Gotta eat those monsters before they spoil.
>>
>>50051403
Some silk rope, a tinderbox, and a Holy Symbol (amulet on a string of prayer beads, gift from his fiancee, character is not a divine spellcaster).
>>
Does the animal companion from the revised ranger UA gain proficiency, ability score increases, and Hit dice based on the combined levels of the character? or just levels in ranger?
>>
>>50051468
UA are written without multiclassing as a concern, while anything referencing your proficiency would scale as normal, most features will/should only consider ranger levels.
>>
>>50051468
As written, character level. UA material is often barely playtested, let alone tested or balanced with multiclassing in mind.

Mearls has stated that if it makes it to print, it will be ranger level scaling instead.
>>
>>50050157
You can't get better than wood elf really.
Kenku maybe.
But most DMs perma-ban them.

Basically monks are the Elf/Human only class.
>>
>>50047350
I kinda want to play a lizardfolk wizard, emotionally cold but filled with some kind of ambition...not sure ambition works for lizardfolk but I like the thought of a very rational wizard who views party members as meat puppets.
>>
>>50051543
If you're obsessed with min maxing
Now that stat-downs are gone you can pretty much play whatever you want
>>
>>50051600
A zionist reptiloid. Perfect.
>>
>>50047333
>Here's some lore about Gnolls
>>50047371
>Big Gnoll stats

So gnolls summon demons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaCHBmGWcBc
>>
>>50051622
I should take alter self so I can be shapeshifting lizard person.
Money is only a tool though.
>>
>>50051543
Has kenku been previewed yet?
>>
>>50051622
>A zionist reptiloid. Perfect.

If you want to read an interesting Codex that reveals the stats for "Zionist Reptiloid" NPC's, then you should check out page 12 in this pdf:

http://prometheism.net/library/jewishsupremacism.pdf
>>
>>50051631
Dude, you literally just liked to something written by a KKK leader as a source.
>>
>>50051468
Pretty sure they put a warning somewhere in UA that it isn't balance for multiclass and DM should make a desicion whether the ranger is allow to be multiclass or not.
>>
>>50051634

I have no idea, the name of the author was unfamiliar to me. However, I found this pdf while I was doing a Google search for quotes from a famous Israeli writer named "Dr. Israel Shahak" and I read the pdf and there is nothing in it but quotes from Jewish authors in Jewish publications. If you read the footnotes on page 348, all of the citations are from Jewish scholarly journals, here are a few examples:

1. Shahak, I. (1994). Jewish History, Jewish Religion. Boulder, Colorado. Pluto
Press.

13. The Jewish Press. (1988). Feb. 19. 10A.

14. The Jewish Press. (1988). Feb. 19. 8C.

15. Bermant, C. (1991). Some Carefully And Carelessly Chosen Words, "The Jewish
Chronicle". May 17.

16 Frank, Geyla (1997).

17 Steinlight, Stephen. (2001). Backgrounder. Center for Immigration Studies.October.

18 Hertzberg, A. & Hirt-Manheimer, A. (1998). Relax. It's Okay to be the Chosen
People. Reform Judaism. May.

19 Look Magazine. (1962). January 16.

etc. etc.
>>
>>50051634
>Dude, you literally just liked to something written by a KKK leader as a source.

The most frequently source cited in the pdf is this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Shahak
>>
>>50051634
He makes a few good points and goes off the deep end into wacko territory.
>>
How many hit points does a door have?
>>
>>50051656
>and I read the pdf and there is nothing in it but quotes from Jewish authors in Jewish publications.
But that's false. There's also the interpretations of those quotes by a White Nationalist.
>>
>>50051711
DMG 246 Damaging objects & object hit points
(It depends on the size and material)
>>
>>50049685
You really just leaned in there, didn't you
>>
>>50051667
>>50051674
Found the blue pilled cucks. Tell me, how do all your buddies fit in the cuckshed on game night or does wifey let you in the house?
>>
>>50051667
>>50051773
misquote, meant for >>50051634
>>
Is /pol/ really this salty about losing the election? They should fuck off back to their board.
>>
>>50051791
What have they got to be salty about? even Michael Moore thinks they've won.
>>
>>50051742
>There's also the interpretations of those quotes

Have you read it? It really just quotes verbatim and doesn't interpret very much.
>>
>>50050303
> tfw your steal shitloads of things from anything you know nobody has read/watched/played

JoJo is a great source for this shit.
>>
>>50051816
>Have you read it?
I read enough to see that your statement was false. He had already started injecting his bias. It's not something I'm going to spend a lot of time giving an audience to.
>>
File: _zog_bilderberg-resize_75.jpg (2MB, 2576x2220px) Image search: [Google]
_zog_bilderberg-resize_75.jpg
2MB, 2576x2220px
>>50051791
>Is /pol/ really this salty about losing the election?

Zoom in to this picture and read the fine print text:

http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1474/78/1474786071284.jpg

To be honest with you, I think Hillary is probably going to win, but both Trump and Hillary are equally funded, financed, and controlled by the people on this list:

http://thezog.info/list-summaries/

If you want proof, compare this list of people who fund Trump:

http://thezog.info/who-controls-donald-trump/

to this list of people that work with the Clintons:

http://thezog.info/who-controls-the-white-house/

and tell me if you can see the pattern in there.
>>
>>50051837
>He had already started injecting his bias

Ok, I want to hear your side of the argument so that you can win me over to your point of view and make me in to a good goyim. Give me a quote with a specific page number and paragraph where he injects his bias so that you can win the debate and persuade me friend :-)
>>
I was thinking of building a dungeon where one of the set pieces was a series of modified Antimagic fields where all but one school of magic was affected. Are there any oddities that could occur/be taken advantage of to consider?
>>
>>50051863
>I want to hear your side of the argument
My side of the argument is that bringing Antisemitic propaganda into a Dungeons and Dragons general is poor form, and I'd rather you didn't do it. We have a whole other board dedicated to just that topic, and you really should use it.
>>
I was fooling around with Merrow some time ago, is this fair for a CR 4 monster?

Merrow Ambusher

AC 15 (natural armor)
Hp 78
Speed 15 ft, swim 25 ft

STR 20 (+5), DEX 12 (+1), CON 16 (+3), INT 8 (-1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 8 (-1)

Skills: stealth +6
Senses: darkvision 60 ft, passive perception 12
Languages: Abyssal, Aquan,
Challenge 4 (1100 xp)

Amphibious

Actions
Multi-attack: 2 claw attacks or 1 claw and 1 bite

Bite: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft, 1 d8 piercing damage, poisoned until start of Merrow Ambushers next turn
Claws: +7 to hit, reach 10 ft, one target, 2 d6 + 5 slashing damage

also something like natural camouflage, it can hide as a rock until targets are close
>>
>>50051886
>Antisemitic propaganda
It's not more propaganda than saying any other races have bias or foul marks that blemish their history.

But seriously, generals are fucking reaking dogshit rotting in the sun, but lets at least keep this one on topic.
>>
File: GC.jpg (310KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
GC.jpg
310KB, 800x800px
How close to a Gelatinous Cube would a character have to be to perform a perception check (or pass passive perception check) to notice it?
>>
>>50049277

Because D&D insists on breaking up magic to various degrees and nd also because many perceive Psionic powers and it's many tropes and trappings to be more sci-fi and less fantasy and because many just don't like the Vancian system and want something else. AND TRADITION!

All combine to various degrees into a desire for a unique system to handle mind magic.
>>
>>50051956
Close enough to see it. Is this a trick question? Like, maybe they'll have disadvantage on checks to find the cube if the cube is hundreds of yards away, but there isn't a hard-and-fast rule for when a distance penalty applies to that kind of check. The DM just has to use common sense.

Also, there's no such thing as a passive Perception check. if anyone in the party has a passive Perception of 15 or more, they just see the cube without making a roll.

That's something almost every single DM gets wrong. You never - EVER - tell the players to roll Perception. Unless they say that their characters are actively looking for something and want to roll Perception, you just use their passive Perception.
>>
>>50052004
>there's no such thing as a passive Perception check
yeah yeah, I meant DC

Someone might decide to actively check, as there'll be some bones on the ground
>>
>>50051398
As it's in the character section, YES IT IS!
>>
>>50049816
Thank you anon
>>
What could grappling be possibly good for?
>>
>>50052184
Keeping up to two enemies prone and unable to move while you have complete movement and have your entire party get advantage
>>
>>50052184
If you shove someone prone, they can't get up whilst grappled.
>>
Anyone has that nice pdf about travelling with some tables of encounters, fluff and such?
>>
>>50052274
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but there are decent ones in HotDQ and SKT
>>
>>50051627
He means aaracockra or however you spell it. Bird men from PotC
>>
>>50052342
>random encounters pdf means aarakocra
...okay?
>>
>>50052306
It was a third-party pdf full of things to make travelling not boring/not a fast forward.
>>
>>50052350
You might want to recheck that quote chain, Friend.
>>
Anyone have a good guide or quick recommendation on how to build a tempest cleric blaster? Would probably go for the cleric/sorcerer split. I assume sorcerer gets more levels here.
>>
When did mega become so terrible?
>>
>>50048416
My Sprite familiar finds me annoying, and is generally bossy to my CG Fey Warlock. Which is fine cause if I actually tell her to do something serious she'll do it but petty things she'll just flat out refuse. The reason my typical outlander character even ends up in the inn for the beginning of the game is she is sick of hunting for food every day, even though he thinks it's fine.
>>
>>50052455
Templest cleric is a melee spec, anon.
>>
>>50052405
Shit yeah, my bad.
>>50052342
But Kenku are confirmed for Volo's, right?
I thought maybe they'd been previewed.
>>
>>50052455
If you want to be someone who uses lightning and thunder just be a storm sorcerer, if you want to be a tempest cleric don't put enough points into it where you are wasting levels gaining melee abilities.
>>
>>50052455
a fun gimmick is to pick up the feat magic adept and grab witch bolt for max damage with channel divinity

also make sure you take booming blade and lightning lure for thematic reasons
>>
>>50052184
I've had to fight roguish characters before as a martial, grapple followed by shove prone keeps them pretty well covered.
>>
>>50051880
With that, you could be playing to the strength of the spells, having powerful spells that can't be dispelled or dealt with in the field and have to be managed. An anti magic field save for evocation could be where a wizard practices his spells. With no dispel magic or silence it would be a perfect place for him to fight.
>>
>>50047310
im new to this butr is it normal for a dm to not allow like half of your choices?
>>
>>50052531
no its not normal, but then again i dont know you and you could be an autistic retard that asks to play stupid shit
>>
>>50052531
It's unusual, but not necessarily bad. One of you might be That Guy. Or you might just have a serious misunderstanding about what the campaign is about between the two of you.

We need finest to judge.
>>
>>50052531
That's too abstract for us to judge. Give us some examples.
>>
>>50052531
Which ones?
>>
>>50052531
depend on your choice. I'm sure as hell won't allow some random race and class someone found on DandDwiki.
>>
I have been reading Curse of Strahd for a while now, when I've encountered mad mage of mt. Baratok, who is actually Mordenkainen. He's been stuck there for about a year, without his spellbook and staff, so he's gone mad out of thoughts that he can't defeat Strahd.
However, he still has a lot of his spells ready - including time stop. So, hol up, you be saying that Mordenkainen hasn't re-readied his spells FOR A YEAR, and he still has the majority of them? Including his 9th level one?
>>
>>50052741
you dont need your spellbook to cast spells. whatever spells you had in your mind when you lost your spellbook you can cast because they are still in your mind.
>>
>>50052741
Firstly, tag your spoilers
Secondly, I remember someone saying you only need your spellbook to change your spell selection, not to re-prepare spells you'd already prepared
>>
>>50052778
Just checked and this is right - spellbook section in wizard section of PHB says using a spell doesn't un-prepare it so you only need a spellbook to change your prepared spells >>50052741
>>
Do you guys do anything in your world to make resurrection magic rare, or is dying just a minor inconvenience for your party?
>>
>>50052806
It's expensive and you need to find someone who can cast the spell in the first place.
Sorting those things out is time consuming and might mean diverting your course several hundred miles from whatever actually important thing ythe party is doing.
>>
>>50052806
At low levels, getting someone resurrected can be a story arc of its own, finding a high priest or cleric willing to do it, then helping them find the reagents or doing enough work to earn their use.

At higher levels, it's slightly more accessible, but the materials could still be rare or in such a high demand they can't afford them.
>>
>>50052806
Yes. Heaven is a very nice place, and good souls are very rarely willing to come back. If the party begins resurrecting itself, then to be considered willing, the player must make a wisdom saving throw. The DC gets higher the more that character has died.

Also, heaven is pretty wide open, so the only ones this doesn't apply to are crazy evil.
>>
>>50052857
Do people sometimes come back as giggling omnicidal maniacs trying to get as many creatures into heaven as possible
>>
>>50051851
I wonder how many people have given up their normal lives to plot how to kill these guys.

I wonder how to send those men money to support their cause.
>>
>>50052855
This is your daily reminder that diamonds are absolutely worthless, and are only so expensive because jewelers want them to be.
>>
>>50052961
I haven't played with insanity rules yet, but when I do, I'll add that.
>>
>>50053001
Jewelers are secretly attempting to make resurrection spells only available to the wealthy elite.
>>
>>50053001
Why do you think resurrection is so rare? In a world without the diamond cartel, the only diamonds worth enough to be used for resurrection are so large they can't be used for anything other than doomsday weapons.
>>
>>50053023
die fucking jewelers
>>
File: Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg (97KB, 550x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sc3-lizardman-01.jpg
97KB, 550x900px
Lizardman HYPE
>>
File: 1459044666719.jpg (233KB, 1107x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1459044666719.jpg
233KB, 1107x1280px
>>50053119
KOBOLD HYPE
>>
>>50052480
I don't think they've been confrmed, unless it's been in the last few days. Just a lot of rumors. I think they could be, but then again, with all the confirmations we've had so far, the slots are being taken up fast:

Orc
Goblin
Firbolg
Triton
Goliath
Lizardfolk
[unspecified catfolk]

Then again, evidence for Tritons en Catfolk is shady , so they might be subject to change.
>>
>>50053153
Kobolds are cute.
CUTE!
>>
>>50051468
I'm playing a revised beast master ranger in a campaign right now. me and my DM came up with rules and some tweaks to the revised ranger that we find acceptable.

1. Natural explorer only applies when outside a city.
2. My character can have a second type of favored enemy that I can change after combat with new enemies.
3. My companions hit dice scale with ranger level. everything else scales with total level.
4. At 7th level I can train any 1/2 CR Beast for a companion. At 11th level I can train any 1CR Beast but it only gains 3/4th my ranger level for stats like hit dice and proficiency. Mathematically it seems balanced but only time will tell.
>>
>>50047509

With only one page missing and all 3 other races being two pages I'm gonna guess a full oage picture.
>>
File: pool of radiance kobolds.png (8KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
pool of radiance kobolds.png
8KB, 640x400px
>>50053198
NO THEY'RE NOT

Seriously, fuck that kobold cave in Pool of Radiance with a cactus.
>>
Social combat rules when?
>>
File: 1474543618903.jpg (77KB, 621x621px) Image search: [Google]
1474543618903.jpg
77KB, 621x621px
I was going to say something about /pol/ shitting up the thread but

>>50053295

I think I would rather have them than these social combat retards
>>
>>50053164
Is it confirmed that its only 7 races? I think its almost confirmed kobolds will be playable, so triton or catfolks are out
>>
>>50053439
No, I've heard someone say around 10 before, but as far as I know, we've got nothing confirmed on how many there will be. If the chapter takes up a third of the book, it might be as many as 20. I don't actually think there will be that many, we just don't know anything about it.
>>
File: 1444876942668.jpg (110KB, 640x991px) Image search: [Google]
1444876942668.jpg
110KB, 640x991px
>>50053439

Why would Goliath be printed again? They're already officially playable.
>>
>played vengeance paladin
>party is more neutral evil than good
>become oath breaker
>only good character is a bard
>constantly at odds with him
>DM lets me make my own bestow curse
>"when xxx betrays me, creature takes 3d10 necrotic damage" lasts 3 months
>use it on his characters wife
>his character no longer tries to start shit

Feel like I hit my evil alignment stride

Also this happened because:

>breaking into guild that has rare spell components, so that we can possess the Kings body
>door requires one of the high ranking members be in front of the door for it to open, and not be under any mind altering magic
>kill the guild member we have and animate dead
>he has no mind to alter since he is a zombie
>it works
>bard gets pissed off

Campaign is actually hard since we can't go anywhere without anyone running us down, which is what caused my Paladins fall
>>
>>50053476
People have been asking for them to be put in a hardcover book and WotC likely putting them in a "Half-Giant" section of the book along with Firbolgs. (Looking at the page numbers and wondering where the hell goblins are supposed to be.)
>>
>>50053476
>Why would Goliath be printed again? They're already officially playable.
They were not printed, online appeared in an online resource, a lot of casuals probably dont even know they exist in 5e right now
>>
So I finally did it. Started the campaign at level 1, and finished the campaign at level 20. Half Elf Devotion Paladin, with +16 to hit, able to pump out over a hundred damage a turn when I really needed to and helping the party with +5 to saves. My three items for attunement are a Belt of Fire Giant Strength, +1 Platemail with Fire Resistance, Winfs of Flight. Final battle was against a suped up ancient black dragon and it was awesome.

Tips for anyone who gets that high:

Potion of Speed and Potion of Invulnerability are awesome. And make you insanely strong.
AC slowly begins to not matter when monsters are in the high teens to hit, managing disadvantage and health is more important. The life cleric with 25 AC with haste on still was able to get hit half the time. AC is still important, but I had 19 AC for most of the campaign, and it was my huge health pool that kept me going.
>>
>>50053360
>not wanting robust social combat rules to encourage and help dms produce games more involved than "okay you got a natural 20 on your persuasion check so the king is now in love with you lololololololololololol."
>>
>>50053529
How did you award exp in this campaign?
>>
>>50053548
Milestones, when we defeated an important enemy or completed an event, we'd gain a level. Took a little less than a year to get this far through milestones.
>>
>>50053574
I can back this up. We started last November, and using milestones my players are now level 17. So about a year, give or take a couple of months to max out seems in line with everything I've seen so far on milestones.
>>
>>50053574
We do milestones too, and I sometimes get the idea that it's faster than it would be if we'd use XP. But then, we're not very combat intensive, so xp wouldn't work very well.

How often/long do you play
>>
>>50053623
Weekly for 3 hours was our typical time, sometimes we went 6 hours long but that was more cause of roleplay and downtime. There were sessions with no combat at all and some times combat after combat sessions.

If someone wasn't there we either kept their character in the background, have them do their own thing, or we would play them very minimally if they had to be there like for combat.
>>
>>50053360
I want social combat and "environmental" combat systems to truly represent the three pillars WotC prattles on about.

>>50053295
I've used my homebrewed ones, and they are only OK but it did give a little more engagement that typical skill rolls.

I need to simplify and rewrite based on the playtest, but here they are.
>>
>>50051757
lay off the weed, stoner
>>
>>50051989
they ignore that distinction all the time
detect thoughts, enchantment wizards, mindblank, phantasmal force, etc etc etc
forcing a dichotomy between them is utterly stupid
>>
>>50053851
>>50053295
just fucking roleplay you retarded mong
>>
>>50053995
You are confusing power that affect the mind with power that come FROM the mind (psionics)
>>
>>50053164
Aquatic elves would have been nice to have tho.
Pirate campaigns are one of the things that get even cliche stories going.
>>
>>50054052
we've had mentalist sorcerers before who used regular casting rules and no psionics
>>
Can someone explain how useful is pact of the chain? It is just an amazing spying/scouting tool
>>
>>50054070
But did it use points for spells? Did it had the cool pseudo-science flavor? Besides, it does not exist in 5e
>>
>>50054083
it's good for everything
you have a CR 1 (if you're not retarded) flying perma invisible minion that can speak, shapeshift, and handle objects
>>
>>50054103
can you give some example of how you can use an familar in a powerful way? cause I havent played with anyone that used Chain
>>
>>50054097
no it used spells known
it's a sorcerer
>>
>>50053295
wtf is social combat?
>>
>>50054117
have your invisible flying stealthy minion scout out an entire dungeon without putting anyone in any danger
have it filch keys from a guard and bring them back to you
have it appear in a meeting place and do the talking on behalf of you/your party, avoiding revealing yourselves or ensuring you're not double-crossed
list goes on and on
>>
>>50054157
those people can't roleplay so they want to be told how to resolve basic roleplay scenarios with a pointless rules set
>>
>>50053513
sounds like a gay campaign with edgy teenagers who dont know what a real evil campaign is

glad im not playing in it
>>
>>50054017
Rules enhance role play.
>>
>>50053529
ur game sounds shitty rofl
>>
>>50054189
not when they're fucking pointless rules that add nothing
you being confused about how your NPCs react to your characters is you being an inept DM, not a result of the rules not being "clear enough"
>>
>>50054167
Oh so they want a CYOA option wheel? Talk about lame. :/
>>
>>50054157
Basically a set of prompts that enhance the social aspects of the game, making role play more fun and sane. Most games feature them, but dnd doesn't, partially because it is designed for Virgin nerds who would resent complicated rules getting in the way of them fantasizing about being Chad. For those types, everything necessarily needs to be boringly simple.
>>
>>50054204
No, that Virgin has never actually played social combat systems.
>>
Hey guys check out my social combat rules
>player actually makes argument
>only roll if the NPC won't necessarily believe them due to whatever factors or there's some magic interfering
>>
>>50054212
>>50054225
lol
>>
>>50054226
woah... that's like... totally revolutionary... how can the PHB even... compete?
mind = blown
>>
5e fags are the most defensive, easily b8ed fans of an rpg I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1405924516201.jpg (97KB, 1024x828px) Image search: [Google]
1405924516201.jpg
97KB, 1024x828px
>>50054261
>promote stupid thing he can't defend
>demonstrate that he can't, in fact, defend it
>"oh you guys are defensive haha I b8'd u"
>>
File: db0.jpg (49KB, 600x1104px) Image search: [Google]
db0.jpg
49KB, 600x1104px
>>50054261
>>
I have a complete noob question, just started looking into this because a friend wants to try it out.

In relation to the Player Class Aarakocra they have a 1d4 of slashing damage due to their talons. I was wondering if you made one a monk would I simply be substituting martial arts damage instead of slashing claw damage?
>>
>>50054277
All you've done so far is demonstrate that you don't know what social combat is. Arguing against ignorance is never productive, so I default to justifiably insulting you instead. It's more fun Virgin.
>>
>>50054302
aarakocra is a race not a class
you choose which damage dice you use between monk and whatever else exists
your monk will get better, at which point in most cases you should probably use the monk damage dice
>>
>>50054311
tell me a single specific rule 5e is lacking that would enhance its gameplay
I'll wait~
zuttoo~
>>
>>50054326
The doors system of nwod.

It encourages dms to create npcs with motivations more complex than dc15 to persuade, and it encourages players to do more than just try to argue while rolling dice. Both of these together encourage rich social challenges, which makes for a better experience than you'll find in a standard dnd game.
>>
>>50054316
Ok thanks. Which race would be suited to being a Monk. Since they seem to be able to use dex instead of str I was thinking Elf, Wind gensai or birdperson. Would I be fucking up?
>>
>>50054345
you don't need rules for that
if you know your own NPCs goals and motivations, rules are utterly irrelevant
you literally and unironically want someone to tell you how your NPCs are going to react to things with a ruleset
you just suck at roleplaying
>>
>>50048159
Higher barrier of entry
>>
>>50054326
Grapple is a bit OP as written. Moving 8000 pound rhinos or young dragons only expending half your movement is ridiculous. Especially with a group that knows how to milk it.

>Barbarian grapples Gorgon. Two wizards cast high level cloud of daggers next to each other. Barbarian just moves the gorgon back and forth through both clouds.

We just tacked on a check as part of your movement is required to move a grappled target and that large creatures have advantage. And some exceptionally heavy creatures cannot be moved.
>>
>>50054196
Not him, but I disagree. If his homebrew helps him and his players make social encounters more meaningful than the current Hostile/neutral/friendly rules, then by all means, let him use them. It's like DMs who can keep their player's spell save DCs in their head, and ones who need a piece of paper to keep track of it. Just different DMing styles is all. It's not like I'm forced to use his homebrew if I don't want to, he's not the Gameshtapo or something.
>>
>>50054357
aarakocra are broken because perma-flight at high speeds and they have exactly the ability bonuses a monk wants

the second best race is going to be variant human, followed probably by wood elf
>>
>>50054390
I'll change what I said

tell me a single specific "social" rule 5e is lacking that would enhance its gameplay
>>
>>50054376
You don't need rules for combat, exploration, or anything. Free form role play is perfectly adequate. But rules enhance the experience.

You seem retarded, because your keep thinking that my argument is rules are necessary, instead of just desirable.

Having played games with social combat, and without, dnd would be better with those rules.

Now scurry off, Virgin, you've only demonstrated more ignorance.
>>
>>50054390
There are carrying capacity rules in the game already that prevent players who grapple from dragging things they otherwise couldn't drag.
>>
>>50054390
I figure the reason you can move creatures you can't carry is that you have the leverage to make them move. If you could carry them outright, your movement wouldn't be penalized.
>>
File: scarecrow.jpg (5KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
scarecrow.jpg
5KB, 263x192px
>>50054394
>If his homebrew helps him and his players make social encounters more meaningful
tell me how someone is being helped by reducing the perfect freedom of roleplay to a rules set

>>50054405
>because your keep thinking that my argument is rules are necessary
pic related
you can't quote me thinking that because I haven't said that anywhere

you want someone to dictate to you how to roleplay
you're literally autistic
>>
>>50054423
Oh thats a good point. touche
>>
>>50054436
Why do you even play non free form? Combat rules must detract from the perfect freedom to role play slaying the dragon.

I want rules that encourage good role play from my players, and myself. Your hilarious attempt to label me a strawman despite being one yourself will get you no points.
>>
So I'm about to roll a melee Druid

plot twist not circle of the moon

ideas?
>>
>>50054478
Try circle of the moon.
>>
File: 1426486007341.jpg (107KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1426486007341.jpg
107KB, 650x650px
>>50054474
combat rules let people resolve contests physical contests
I'm not LARPing, and my character can't necessarily do everything physically, so if I say "my character turns into Godzilla, teleports to Tokyo, and then explodes destroying earth", that doesn't work via the established rules, and the rules are desirable for restricting that
what my *CHARACTERS* actually *SAY* or *THINK* however, need no boxed ruleset *WHATSOEVER*
if I say that my character says or thinks x - *WHATEVER* x may be - there need be no rules limitation on that
limiting that is nonsensical - it helps no one
rules limit - they don't add
sometimes limiting is good
in regard to normal conversations between people and their thought processes, it's bad

>Your hilarious attempt to label me a strawman
>label me a strawman
>me a strawman
you're really, really dumb
>>
>>50054578
>>50054578
Limiting or enhancing what characters say is important though, because characters are rarely exactly as socially adept as their players. So rules supplement the autists playing chads , and limit the Chads playing autists.

Social combat just provides more desirable detail to these limits and additional outcomes.

You still sound like you haven't read or played a social combat system, so here's a reading assignment before shitposting again. Read burning wheel social combat, or the nwod doors system, or anything else. I'll know if you haven't, you make it too obvious.
>>
>>50054666
>Limiting or enhancing what characters say is important though
you can't enhance what characters say with a ruleset
you can only just give a generalization of what they say and skip to the result - rules *CANNOT* make you a better roleplayer
you can limit what people say, but there's never a reason to do so unless the character magically says something the player knows but the character doesn't, which doesn't need a ruleset, it just needs the DM saying "your character doesn't have that information dude"

>Social combat just provides more desirable detail
you can't provide a single example of a ruleset adding detail
rules don't add anything
they fucking restrict you brainless mong
>>
>>50054722
Still haven't read. I gave you two examples in the last post, so this is the last (you) you'll get until you read.
>>
File: empty rhetoric.png (178KB, 820x354px) Image search: [Google]
empty rhetoric.png
178KB, 820x354px
>>50054736
what a brilliant poster
>>
>>50054478
High Elf/Varient Half Elf/Magic Initiate for Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade
Shillelagh
>>
how does these stats sound for my lightfoot halfling (soon to be) lore bard?
>A) str 8, dex 16, con 14, int 12, wis 8, cha 16
or
>B) str 8, dex 14, con 14, int 13, wis 10, cha 16
A) is what i picked because i had to make the character on the spot (already had several backgrounds written, rolled for which one was going to use) and didn't give it much thought.
B) is a correction so i can multiclass wizard later on because portent, bardic inspiration, halfling luck and eventually lucky like a true faggot.

i wish i could also multiclass cleric for knowledge+guidance/bless but that does seem like too much.

any feedback or suggestions?
i plan on being a skill monkey plus utility whore, dumping probably all attempts at making damage.
>>
>>50054808
B)
1 level in life cleric as you level 7 is what I'd do (after picking up aura of vitality as one of my level 6 magical secret choices), but in order to do that you need your 13 in WIS and not INT (which I think is better anyway - your expertise + guidance can carry you on your INT checks)

I might actually drop DEX to 12 and bump INT to 12 if I was doing a skillmonkey build
you've already got proficiency in DEX saves
>>
>>50053164
Twitter/podcasts have both revealed the Tritons and confirmed the catfolk as Tabaxi, a race of jaguar/leopard-people initially introduced in the Maztica spin-off setting for Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50054915
part of my character's background was that he was posing out as a wizard and the plottwist would be when he actually ends up as one, but that is mostly fluff and RP.

i kind of didn't want to pick any heal spells because fun, but guidance and expertise sound good enough regardless.

isn't 12 dex way too low? even if i get medium armor from cleric, don't i want 14 so i don't have to ever touch it again?

it's like i plan on taking any hits ever but i know my party can fuck up protecting me (because they are retarded) and i don't want to automatically die to everything.
>>
>>50048159
Less addictive qualities and more input required.
>>
>>50048159
Dnd just isn't as good as yugioh is. 5th edition certainly isn't.
>>
>>50055001
>isn't 12 dex way too low
no - it's fine
as a lore bard you should be avoiding melee like the plague anyways - 5% extra chance to be missed with targeted attacks isn't that terribly great for a character that's going to avoid those circumstances to begin with

5% increased chance to be missed is very significant for a fighter who's going to be subjected to many many attack rolls against him over the course of the game, but not to a lore bard who's not going to see many against him

aura of vitality + life cleric 1 is absolutely incredibly good, and is probably the only reason I'd recommend a cleric dip
otherwise I'd say ignore cleric and go straight bard
>>
what are some of the most fun characters you guys have built, OR gimmick sort of characters that are functional by level 5-10?
>>
Thaumaturgy to induce an enema, y/n?
>>
>>50055083
Pact of the blade warlock has one of the highest sustained damage builds in the game. And you're a warlock, so it's guaranteed fun.

Pact of the blade, bond a magical hand crossbow. Take both invocations. Pick up sharpshooter and crossbow expert. You can attack 3 times with the weapon in a turn, and assuming five in both dexterity and charisma, and a +1 magic item, and hex on the target, deal 6d6+63 damage, which averages out to 91 iirc.

Level 12 minimum, but before that the damage is only reduced by 15.
>>
>>50054064
I know, I'd love to have aquatic elves. And they've been alluded to in the MM and SCAG, so it would make sense. But they're not exactly monsters. So maybe that's why they put in Tritons, to make up for the lack of aquatic alves. because the Tritons came out of fucking nowhere.
>>
>>50055131
n
>>
>>50055083
I'm having a whole lot of fun with this character.
Even after this current game I have him in I can see myself playing him again.

He's using the revenant sub-race mechanically, only he's actually more or less a soul animating armor.
>>
>>50055195
>6 Pages
Jesus.
>>
>>50055209
And that was me keeping it concise - I definitely get into my backstories.
>>
>>50055144
It also works well with pole arms. Take a glaive, Halberd, or pike.

Polearm Master, and great weapon fighting. You can deal 2d10+3d6+1d4+63 damage, which works out to 87 average damage iirc.
>>
>>50048004
Are there any other third party resources similar to the Tome Of Beasts that are also of similar quality?
>>
>>50053851
>the three pillars WotC prattles on about.
I love how they say downtime activities aren't within the three pillars to the point where they have no place in the game.
They pretty much said this in the Feats UA where they went "fuck crafting".
Thread posts: 378
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.