[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 345
Thread images: 31

File: Kobold Lore.png (1MB, 800x1055px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Lore.png
1MB, 800x1055px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous thread >>50047310

Happy Kobold Edition

How do you feel about players playing as monster races? Personally, I love it, but I can understand why someone would want to disallow it.
>>
>>50055211
I feel like monster races are typically leaning towards chaotic evil or neutral, a party of two kobolds a goblin and an Orc doesn't sound like a party that fits with the typical fight the evil guy to save something. I mean if you just play them as good natured that's fine but I really don't see that from these creatures.

It rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>50055211
>How do you feel about players playing as monster races?
But what *IS* a monster?
>>
File: sktwizardhat.jpg (63KB, 510x519px) Image search: [Google]
sktwizardhat.jpg
63KB, 510x519px
>>50055211
Really depends on the campaign.
Wouldn't allow it in stuff like Strahd or Lost Mines.
I'm running SKT right now with a Satyr (similar racials to wood elves with the charm tiefling variant magic) and I think it's fine.
I'm less okay with it if it breaks the tone of the game (hence not using them in Strahd) but considering SKT has stuff like pic related I'll allow pretty much anything.
>>
Burning wheel has some neat rules for social interaction. I think I'm going to incorporate them somehow.
>>
>>50055211
Since I see no reason to make my settings into the same semi-Tolkein rip-off that seems to be default, I love the option. I build worlds that make heavy use of non-standard humanoid races, from a post-apocalyptic fantasy world with kobolds as cursed dragonspawn and ratfolk as a culture of "restore the world" paladins to a Sigil expy.
>>
>>50052004
>>50052004
>there's no such thing as a passive Perception check
> if anyone in the party has a passive Perception of 15 or more, they just see the cube without making a roll.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I don't think they should be told to make a roll because if they fail it then they know something is there. It makes them cautious with their actions in ways the character shouldn't be if they truly noticed nothing.

At the same time I don't agree with a flat rate. People can be distracted. Even perceptive people can miss details. Same way just having a high Dex doesn't mean you can just auto-succeed an acrobatic stunt. You still do the roll because in real life there are many factors that can contribute to success or failure, to many to properly account for at the tabletop, so we settle it with a dice roll.

But given the players will be suspicious if they do a roll and nothing happens (which can be useful in the right circumstances) I'd argue that is a time the DM should roll. It's like background awareness or spider-sense, whatever. I've had players that hate that - if it is their character they damn well do that character's rolls - but for the above reasons I think the clerical task should be up to the DM. If you cannot trust your DM to make the roll why the fuck are you playing with that DM? There's plenty of background mechanics rolls that can be done by a DM for a variety of reasons, I feel this is another.
>>
File: 1369119307194.gif (1000KB, 422x235px) Image search: [Google]
1369119307194.gif
1000KB, 422x235px
>>50055433
>>
All these Volo's pages have gotten me excited to read D&D books, so let's talk third party stuff.

Is there anything cool that's not in the Mega yet, or that is that you don't think people are reading?

Did anything good ever come out of the DMs' Guild?

Anything you're actually using in your games?
>>
>>50055522
the released material and modifications of the released material is sufficient
if I or my players want this that or the other we just make it ourselves
>>
>>50055522
One of the things I've used is Bad Moon Rising in the Quests of Doom books. It's overall a very good adventure and can usually be completed in a session or two, and can be placed pretty much anywhere into an existing adventure.
>>
>>50055475
Then you're arguing that passive Perception shouldn't exist at all, because that's literally all it's for.

>Same way just having a high Dex doesn't mean you can just auto-succeed an acrobatic stunt.

Funny you should mention that, because AC works in exactly the same way. It's a static value affected by your Dex. You don't worry about "Oh, what if you're having a bad day and not dodging well," because that kind of randomness is already covered by the attack roll.

I try to limit opposed rolls as much as possible, because it doubles the amount of variance for no good reason. The results of a Stealth check to beat a guard's passive Perception are a lot more sane than those of a Stealth check opposed by a guard's Perception check.
>>
>>50055211
Am I seeing correctly, and that skull-hatted kobold's being carried in a giant wok filled with loot?

>>50055281
A miserable little pile of experience points.
>>
Will Volo have Mind Flayer Liches?
>>
File: alhoon.png (2MB, 1009x1331px) Image search: [Google]
alhoon.png
2MB, 1009x1331px
>>50055673
Possibly :)
>>
>>50055211

is that 2nd from the left kobold covering its tits

is it a girl kobold
>>
Is there such a thing as quick reference / cheat sheets for 5e with rules for different specific situations?
>>
PLAYABLE MINDFLAYERS WHENNNN
>>
>>50055800
i want to be a lich
>>
>>50055785
do kobolds even have tits, i think one of the devs said dragonborns don't have tits, so they shouldn't have either. maybe they imitate other humanoids?

anthropocentrism in fantasy and fiction triggers me a bit, i'm sorry.
>>
>>50055800
>Mind Players
Never ever, unfortunately. They just aren't balanced for party use.
You know what I want, though? Playable flumphs.
>>
>>50055800
No. Always evil. Player races can, at best, be usually evil
>>
>>50055832
>flumphs
or a rogue modron, that'd be fun.
>>
>>50055849
doesn't lore talk about rogue/outcast illithids being neutral and hence shunned away from their civilization and/or hunt?

if drows can be playable, then i'm sure someone can find a way to make a good mindflayer. if anything i'd be more worried about racial balance rather than alignment.

which in turn leaves me asking for a psionic/psionicist class as well.
>>
>>50055873
psst
hey buddy
they're working on psionics at the moment
they came out with a UA about it
it's pretty good so far :)
>>
>>50055873
No mindflayers. They are gross
>>
>>50055899
don't be racist, it's not their fault they have squid heads
>>
>>50055912
Yes it is.
>>
>>50055475
You're doing rolls in a bit of a silly way, so if course you're going to get metagamey players. Failed rolls shouldn't be 'nothing happens,' that's boring as sin, especially given the fact that you're almost always going to have something planned if they pass.

>plan for player to hear rubble crunch underfoot (DC 0, obvious)
> player roll to spot a shadow on the wall before the source runs, revealing direction (DC 11, not a given)
>roll fails
> "you hear rubble crush underfoot"

A fail that leaves you where you started but without all the options you had the first time you failed is just bad pacing.
>>
>>50055926
nuh uh
>>
>>50055899
you are gross.
>>
File: etrekmoxo8nxlph3yyqr.png (1MB, 701x928px) Image search: [Google]
etrekmoxo8nxlph3yyqr.png
1MB, 701x928px
Just realized that lizardfolks mentality is literally the way I like to play druids. I hate when people assume you are playing as a treehugger when you go druid
>>
>>50055951
same

deranged forest ranger that might try to eat enemies if they get hungry is my preference
>>
>>50055800
Just ask your GM.
>>
>>50055822

no need to apologize anon, thats why im asking
>>
What parts of the game do you fluff? What have you fluffed for your campaign and how did you do it?

I fluffed that my monk's long death ability to gain temporary hit points on kill sucked the life out of the target.
>>
>>50055211
I need stats for Volatiles from dying light!
>>
Is crafting pointless?

Also; I'm making a wild magic sorcerer, is he a stereotype Mage that sits from afar and casts all the time? Doesn't seem like he has many spells

Can someone explain to me subtle magic? I can just cast a spel with no one knowing? Do I need to pass any checks regarding casting it?

And twinned spell, what constitutes a target? I saw spells like ray of something I can't twin.
>>
>>50055606
That depends on what you mean by passive Perception. You are using "passive" to mean a fixed degree, a known value. There is no reason for any of the stats to be considered more than the upper limits of what a character is capable of, but they can still fail. That is the reason why there are rolls for them at all. I am using it similar to the notion of a passive skill/trait as opposed to an active skill. Active skills are triggered when the player wants to use them. Passives are always active. They're background. Like, for instance, the ability to detect something. The ability to perceive a voice in a crowd - or the click of a trap.

Actually it is funny you should mention
>You don't worry about "Oh, what if you're having a bad day and not dodging well," because that kind of randomness is already covered by the attack roll.

Because this is merely roll substitution. One type of role in place of another, yet the variability, the chance of success or failure, is still accounted for. Does Dexterity play no role in the roll? Of course it can. It is accounted for by potential modifiers. The game itself makes the connection for you. As I said, the game cannot handle every factor involved so they do what they can. It is a kludge at best, and yet it works.
>>
>>50056079
Yes

He can if you want to be

No checks it looks like you do nothing

You can twin a spell as long as it effects only one target. Fireball you cannot twin but witch bolt you can
>>
>>50055934
um, what? That's a completely unmanageable way to run a game. Failed rolls usually do nothing or leave you in a worse position than where you started. That's where the whole element of risk comes from. A game where you succeed at everything you try wouldn't be D&D.
>>
>tfw Paladin
>DM brings out faeries
FUCK YOU CANT BE CHARMED
>DM uses assassins
FUCK YOU CANT BE POISONED
>DM uses Dragon
FUCK YOU CANT BE FRIGHTENED

Being the "I'm literally a heroic hero" class is so great sometimes. In a party of missfits, anti-heroes, daredevils and treasure hunters sometimes its fucking awesome just to play a guy that unwaveringly fights the evil.

I may die. I may fail. People may get hurt. The fight is almost always unfair, the stakes unclear, the future uncertain. But with a Paladins training and the light within your heart the RIGHT choice is almost always clear as a cloudless day.

Before you ask sometimes yeah I am that guy that forces the party into a shitty fight out of guilt.

I also dump stated intelligence so my int is only 9.

>Party being sneaky
>hiding in building
>evil probably daemon mayor is trying to lure the party out by hanging civilians

>its a fucking trap
I know.
>we need more time to prepare
I know.
>innocents sometimes die, sometimes sacrifices must be made
I know.
>your playing into his hand
I know.
>are you going to fight them all yourself?
If I have to.
>you're going to die
maybe.
>you're a fool!
I know.

"I say a prayer, don my helm, pick up my shield and longsword, and walk out the door."

It's a simple choice desu.
>>
>>50056102
>>50056102
Dragon blood sorcerer gets more hp and defense, wild magic seems .... More fragile and I dunno how well a melee wild would work, I'd need to expend a feat to wear light armor wouldn't I?
>>
>>50055934
Unless a trap or hidden entity for some reason requires players to be unaware of it, like a Moffat monster of the week, then why would a failed perception roll cause any significant changes worth noting? It merely means they have are not aware of something. Now they might still encounter it, but then again they might not. Players don't always set off traps by their presence. If there are two doors, one is trapped, but they failed to notice the traps, the trapped door does nothing if they instead use the untrapped one. Unless some kind of magical nature to the trapped door has that as a conditional. But in that case, was the untrapped door really ever untrapped?
>>
>>50056079

>Is crafting pointless?

Unless your DM has allowed magic item crafting, mostly yes. Rules for it are shite in 5.

>Also; I'm making a wild magic sorcerer, is he a stereotype Mage that sits from afar and casts all the time? Doesn't seem like he has many spells

Sorcerers play like wizards in that respect, but their big draw is metamagic. So they're more akin to a wizard who wants to conduct magic SCIENCE on the fly and twist spells more to their will. Both sorcs and wizards sit in the back and pew pew largely though.

>Can someone explain to me subtle magic? I can just cast a spel with no one knowing? Do I need to pass any checks regarding casting it?

Yes, it basically means you can stand there with your hands bound and mouth gagged and then suddenly the baddies explode with a fireball. Enemies do not normally get a check to notice though a DM could rule that especially magic sensitive/knowledgeable enemies, if watching you intently, might be able to notice. Normally no. Spell just magically happens.

>And twinned spell, what constitutes a target? I saw spells like ray of something I can't twin.

The spell must only be able to target one creature.
>>
>>50056084
Is English your first language? Because you're making less and less sense the more you go on.

>You are using "passive" to mean a fixed degree, a known value
Which is how it's used in this game. If you have some private definition of it, that doesn't matter here.

>There is no reason for any of the stats to be considered more than the upper limits of what a character is capable of, but they can still fail
As far as I can tell this is complete word salad.

>It's okay to make an attack roll against a static AC, but it's not okay to make a Stealth check against passive Perception.
Why the double standard? In both cases you're using a single dice roll to represent two characters in conflict.
>>
>>50056105
I don't think he quite meant it as a success. Personally I think the scenario he created is a ridiculous example because it relies on conditionals, but conditionals he pre-set up to ensure that the players are aware of something.

If you succeed the role you do acquire more information than if you failed, so he's arguing that there should be no such thing as a total failure. That's certainly a viable method, but hardly the way you always have to manage a story and it would be silly if you did. The railroad leads that way.
>>
>>50056127
You would need a feat to do melee, but if you did do melee that class does not give anything you need to do melee well.

Fighters Paladins Monks Barbarians and rangers all get to attack twice at level 5 and use the best weapons. Sorcerers wizards and warlocks typically stay in the back.

If you want to cast spells and go into melee, I recommend a cleric, a pact of the blade warlock, a valor bard, or blade singer wizard from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Also yes the dragon sorcerer has more health and is beefier in general.
>>
>>50056106
>FUCK YOU CANT BE POISONED
but you can be poisoned
>>
>>50056181
I'm not certain English is your strong suit, actually. This doesn't require any advanced degrees to piece together what I am telling you. What is the upper limit? If a character has a Dexterity of 15 that is their maximum possible Dexterity. That's how it measures what a player is capable of. You cannot succeed on a roll of 16 because that is beyond the player's capabilities, barring any modifiers. How do you think injuries that reduce a stat are justified? Because they LIMIT what your player is capable of. All of this is outright stated in the players handbook in the appropriate sections.
>>
>>50056184
I mean, I agree that the DM shouldn't design a situation where the players have to succeed at a particular skill check to move forward. Like, if the entire campaign is supposed to be set in motion by a PC noticing an obscure clue and it doesn't happen, then the DM should have planned for that possibility. But that only applies in extremely linear adventures anyway. And this should only prevent the PCs from getting stuck and not knowing how to proceed; it should not protect any of them from being killed horribly.

In most situations, total failure should be an option. If you attack you have a chance of totally missing. If you sneak around you have a chance of getting caught. This is risk.
>>
>>50056181
Passive doesn't mean max value. Where are you getting your definition from?
>>
>>50056106
you are immune to disease, not to poison.
it does suck to be a low level pally and getting frightened by stupid shit or overall not having your aura of protection and failing saving throws.
>>
>>50056228
I'm a dwarf + lay on hands + aura of protection for con saves.

I guess thats not "can't be poisoned" but can't be diseased is a thing. You're right there is no immunity to poison anymore though.
>>
Someone post the Sorcerer wizard comparison.
>>
>>50056268
yeah only monks get immunity to poison
>>
>>50056282
>purity of body is 10th level.

Jesus fucking christ dude.
>>
>>50056255
>If you attack you have a chance of totally missing. If you sneak around you have a chance of getting caught.

Makes me think of something like, "Your attack roll failed. You miss the goblins torso completely and slash across its neck. Roll for double damage!"

Although critical failures ending up hurting the player happens, I've never seen a failure still hurt the target but I suppose a less farcical version of the above is if you are, say, attacking a goblin on a rickety bridge and the DM decides your missed attack hit the ancient role support and breaks it. Then you have to roll to see if you can grab the bridge. It fails and dies and you survive. Failure into success. Weird, but I guess that can happen.
>>
Can you use lay on hands on yourself?
>>
>>50056245
>If a character has a Dexterity of 15 that is their maximum possible Dexterity. That's how it measures what a player is capable of. You cannot succeed on a roll of 16 because that is beyond the player's capabilities, barring any modifiers

That is not even a little bit how ability scores work in 5e. If you have a Dexterity score of 15 and you roll a natural 20 on a Dexterity check, you have gotten a result of 22.

Did you start playing with AD&D? Because that's sort of how nonweapon proficiencies used to work. You'd roll a d20 and succeed if the roll was equal to or lower than your relevant ability score. If that's the case, your knowledge of the rules is like 20 years out of date.
>>
>>50056326
If you feel like touching yourself, anon
>>
File: 1430318136907.png (145KB, 304x304px) Image search: [Google]
1430318136907.png
145KB, 304x304px
>>50056245
Dude.
Read the fucking book.
>>
>>50056346
>tfw fall as a Paladin because you touch yourself several times a day using lay on hands.
>your deity blinds you.
>>
>>50056316
it even applies to poison *damage* and not just the poisoned condition
it's gr8
>>
>>50056245
This is a jumble of nonsense.
>>
>>50056356
Demoman doesn't read books. He's had some bad experiences with a certain book in the past.
>>
>>50056326
According to the wording, it would seem so. It specifies a creature, not a creature other than yourself
>>
>>50056364
Does this mean at 10th level monks can't drunken fist anymore because alchohol can't poison them?
>>
>>50056255
last DM I had was like this, pass the check or die, pass the check or get trapped in the room until someone makes the disadvantage roll to notice a poorly hidden door.
>>
>>50056399
What's scarier than a drunk monk who can kick your ass?

A monk who can pretend to be drunk and kick your ass even harder.
>>
>>50056399
I didn't know wizards printed drunken monk
>>
>>50055951
wow those quirks are creepy
>>
>>50056424
Lizardfolks are so cool, I think they are my favourite race now
>>
>>50056424
looks like a fun party mate
>>
>>50055951
>Those quirks
Playing as a lizardfolk might actually be pretty fun.
>>
Has this been updated any time recently?
>>
>>50055951
I also tend to do the druidic circle thing where when you are finished being raised by your master if you want to join the circle you have to kill a druid and take his/her territory because of RULES OF NATURE.

RULES OF NATURE, true nurtral, druids best druids.
>>
>>50056327
Heaven forbid anyone posts the relevant section:

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ability%20Scores#content

Skill stats measure the magnitude. You know, the "extent" of something. You may have missed the bit about "barring any modifiers", though.

You don't have to trust the link, though you should. The same info can be found in the mega above.
>>
Guys, need help. My party just played along to Strahd and pleased him really, really well with their willingnless to be corrupted.
They pleased him so well, he actually gifted them a magic longsword. It's cursed, of course, but I haven't decided what the curse is.
Can any of you help me? I want them to doubt whether or not use it - like, curse is bad, but weapon is good.
>>
>>50056522
- Strahd can scry through it at-will.
- Any damage dealt to vampires or vampire spawn are instead dealt to the attuned creature.
>>
>>50056483
Wow, you're dumber than I thought you were. If you were just an old grognard who assumed that ability checks hadn't changed since 1985, I'd have forgiven you. But you somehow read the current rules on how ability checks worked and reached a completely wrong conclusion not at all supported by the text.

This is actually kind of fascinating. Please point out where in the rules it says you can't achieve a result on an ability check that is higher than your ability score. No points if you move the goalposts and claim that you never said that; we can all read that you said that.
>>
>>50056326
i always joke about touching myself in between encounters.
>>
File: jtnKJ8U.png (249KB, 1063x757px) Image search: [Google]
jtnKJ8U.png
249KB, 1063x757px
>>50056245
>If a character has a Dexterity of 15 that is their maximum possible Dexterity. That's how it measures what a player is capable of. You cannot succeed on a roll of 16 because that is beyond the player's capabilities, barring any modifiers.
wow, anon.....
>>
>>50056522
When slaying a creature with this weapon, make a dc 15 wisdom saving throw.
On a failure, roll on the insanity table for short term madness.
On the second failure, roll for long term.
On the third, roll for indefinite.
On fourth, short and long.
On fifth, short and indefinite.
On sixth, long and indefinite.
On seventh, all three.
And upon your eighth failure, your mind is torn entirely asunder by the dark powers that fuel the blade, causing the character to attack any creature it can see until it or they die. The blade, at this point, will mystically sustain them, so they are only allowed to fall in battle. Waiting will do nothing but endanger others.
>>
>>50056483
are you the same dude? you still make no sense.

i've read that part of the rules many many times and still have no idea what the hell you're referencing regarding "magnitude" and "extent". the only thing that ability scores determine is your ability modifier.
>>
>>50056245
What the fuck are you on about.
>If your character has a dexterity of 15 you can't succeed with a roll of 16

What does that even MEAN? If you mean that literally you're retarded.
>>
>>50056559
Why bother to move to goalposts. It is clear you are either incapable or unwilling to understand what is being told to you. The scenario, as stated, and now you even have a link so you have no excuse of claiming ignorance. To help you out, though, in case you are capable of eventually understanding:

>To make an ability check, roll a d20 and add the relevant ability modifier. As with other d20 rolls, apply bonuses and penalties, and compare the total to the DC. If the total equals or exceeds the DC, the ability check is a success—the creature overcomes the Challenge at hand. Otherwise, it’s a failure, which means the character or monster makes no progress toward the objective or makes progress combined with a setback determined by the GM.

(Note that the above is from the link here in case you somehow missed it: https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Ability%20Scores#content Check under the section for ability checks)

So barring modifiers (this means they do not apply; and to pre-answer your question of why they possibly couldn't you can have bonuses and penalties cancel each other out - the same logic they used since the beginning of D&D still exists, all that has changed is the modifiers). you will indeed fail unless you meet or exceed the roll. Now do you comprehend or is this a lost cause?

I won't even get into Advantage and Dsadvantage. No need to confuse you.
>>
We don't need the monster manual page on trolls. They're already here.
>>
>>50056673
>and to pre-answer your question of why they possibly couldn't you can have bonuses and penalties cancel each other out
Lol
>>
>>50056696
Well, you tried. At least we know >>50056689 is accurate.
>>
How do you go from this
>>50056245
To that?
>>50056673

That's doesn't seem to be any logical process here.
>>
>>50056647
Here you go, anon:

>Each of a creature’s Abilities has a score, a number that defines the magnitude of that ability. An ability score is not just a measure of innate capabilities, but also encompasses a creature’s Training and competence in activities related to that ability.

You can find it under the section Ability Scores and Modifiers. "Extent" is just the definition of magnitude they're using, if that helps too. Cheers.
>>
>>50056673
Dude what is your fucking argument?

Everything you're typing is a mangled mess, and I have no clue what you're trying to show.
>>
>>50056673
this is not at all what you said in this post >>50056245
>>
>>50056719
Do you not know what the word "barring" means? Try "except for".
>>
File: award.jpg (156KB, 432x669px) Image search: [Google]
award.jpg
156KB, 432x669px
>>50056673
You'll notice (or maybe you won't because you're an idiot) that the DC of an ability check is not the same thing as your ability score. The two in fact have nothing to do with each other.

Here, have this, took me >9000 hours to make
>>
>>50056673
The original argument, from
>>50055475
was that you don't agree with how 5e handles passive skills. Regardless of your opinions, you're still wrong. If the DC for a perception check is 15 and a character has a passive perception of 15, then they pass without having to roll.

Is that still what you're arguing about, or did it change?
>>
>>50056522
Strahd can scry through it, of course
Matt Mercer came up with a really great idea for a cursed sword - basically, every hit, the target had to make a Con(?) save or have 1 point of its Strength transferred to the wielder. If the wielder ever got to 25 Str, the blade would empower and deal extra Necrotic damage until the next short rest. But, when the rest came, the power would leave it, and the now power-starved blade would attempt to eat the wielder's soul.

Some evolution of that, maybe. This >>50056530 is also very good.
>>
>>50056764
We're talking about rolling for stats here. You know, like what you did when you rolled a Nat 1 on INT before replying.
>>
>>50056737
all of which are in turn represented mechanically by the ability modifier. you're talking about the fluff behind the number here, so i guess we're just talking past each other.
>>
>>50056770
The original post from >>50055475 is replying to how an anon was talking about applying it in the previous thread. It was a discussion. It's turned into a pedantic and pointless argument.
>>
>>50056786
>rolling for stats

As in randomly generating ability scores at character creation? What does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>50056673
i think i've figured you out
every time you make a reply to this thread, your brain resets, so you have no idea what your stance on the matter even is anymore.
>>
>>50056755
In the first post, it seems that you're saying a Character's maximum roll on an ability check is their score in the relevant ability check, before modifiers.
>>
>>50056786
This is time cube levels of stupid now.
>>
>>50056809
It wouldn't be the ability check, though, wouldn't it be the stat itself?
>>
>>50056755
"Barring" in this context actually means "without" not "Except for."

>Your roll barring modifiers
is not
>Your roll except for modifiers
It's actually
>Your roll without modifiers
>>
>>50056807
Only if you died of stupidity and you were forced to reroll yourself. I hope you had better luck this time.
>>
>>50056836
Wouldn't the context depend on what the person meant or were you the person that made the post in question? At any rate modifiers are what make the difference.
>>
the fuck is going on.
>>
>>50056856
A wasted thread at this rate.
>>
>>50056847
In the context of the sentence, using 'barring' to mean 'except for' makes little sense, considering that the roll is not the final result. The modifier is not a part of the roll, it's what you ADD to the roll in order to get the result. Therefor, you cannot remove bonuses from a roll, but you CAN remove bonuses from the result.

You should use 'barring' to mean 'without' in this context, as it makes more sense. You should not use it to mean 'except for' as said in
>>50056755
>>
>>50056856
As far as I can tell, somebody completely misunderstood how the core mechanic of dnd works this edition, and has subsequently been changing the subject since, taking is on a merry trip through character creation stat rolling and time cubes to cover his retardation.
>>
File: 1476505374801.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1476505374801.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>50056673
>>
>>50056856
First, a guy said that passive perception is stupid. Then he later said that 'if your ability score is 15 you can't pass an ability check of 16' which was hilarious, and then he started getting butthurt and trying to change the subject.
>>
>>50056873
If you'd followed the conversation to this point the modifier is an intrinsic part of the progress. That's why you yourself talk about removing them from the roll, although the difference between the roll and result is kind of nitpicky because the roll wouldn't have any bonus, the result would.
>>
When did "bait" replace "trolling" as a description of this sort of behaviour? As an old, this upsets me.
>>
>>50056856
>>50056856
Looks like a shit ton of samefagging to piss with each other, but I can't tell who is trolling whom at this point.
>>
>>50056903
Correct.

Roll + Modifier = Result

Therefor, saying a 'roll except for a modifier' makes less sense than saying a 'result without the modifier.' That's literally all that I'm saying; during arguments over semantics, word choice is very important.
>>
>>50056909
Trolls use bait, right? The (you) is their drug.
>>
It does seem like an interesting houserule.

The maximum you can get on any ability check is the actual numerical value of the ability score. Would this change anything?
>>
>>50056673
>>50056847
>>50056245

>muh modifiers
I have no idea what you think those have to do with the argument that DC and ability scores are completely unrelated things. So let's sit down and imagine a situation with no modifiers. Bob the peasant, who has a 10 in every ability score, is trying to sneak past the local tax collector. The DC is 11. Bob rolls an 11 on an untrained Dexterity check, barely making it. He has rolled higher than his Dexterity score of 10, because you can do that, and I have no idea why you think you can't.
>>
>>50056931
I think what got us in the mess was stuff like >>50055934 when people started making scenarios. Some modifiers (positive and negative) come from the result. The +2 with a stat that is 15, for instance. However we cannot account for every potential scenario, that would be insane.

That got us into people bitching about 20 year old rules, but the core justifications for rolling are still the same. Only the way we generate bonuses and penalties have changed.

So I think the attempt was, unwisely, to look at the baseline before we start changing the actual result, which is hostage to circumstances. Then shit happened and kept happening.
>>
>>50056952
It means that you could never get lucky and succeed at a check related to your dump stat, and no mortal is ever going to succeed on a check with a DC higher than 20.
>>
>>50056909
Lots of people in the mainstream think that trolling is "online harassment" or "cyber bullying", not the classic definition of deliberately saying something you don't believe for the purpose of getting a lulzy reaction.

I was listening to public radio the other day and Terry Gross was interviewing a guy who was talking very seriously about how he had been trolled and how traumatizing it was. Absolutely hilarious to my ears, but that's how people use it now.
>>
>>50056952
>Be a master locksmith
>Spend years honing my craft
>Be confounded by some strange ancient lock, no matter how long I spend with it
>Some spry young thief comes in and unlocks it immediately because he's better at dodging than me
>Some random thief walks
>>
>>50056952
I've used something like that. The roll of the dice cannot be higher than the actual ability since a person cannot perform better, physically, than they are actually capable of. BUT I damn sure still allow bonuses to increase the result. The bonus is generally justified as "circumstances" or luck. Maybe you're Obi-Wan and you had the high ground, fuck if I care to quantify what exactly it was. Maybe the weapon is enchanted. Magic certainly goes beyond the physical.

But if something like that was what was meant here it should have been stated outright.
>>
>>50056952
Master Locks are 25 dc

If you consider that a skilled rogue getting

roll + ability mod + ( proficiency * 2 ) if you is skilled in it, I forget what that class trait is called, but its the one that doubles your proficiency bonus.

A dedicated high level rogue, like level 12 would be able to consistently pick a master crafted lock on an average day. A master rogue should be able to pick like 30+ on a good day which would be equivalent to like multi-stage locks that would guard the vaults of the Iron Bank in Game of Thrones.
>>
>>50056937
(You)s are the best drug to get addicted to 2bh
they're easy to obtain, and are literally meaningless and endless
>>
>>50056997
Nat 20s would be your friend here, right? Means the Gods are favoring you or some shit.
>>
>>50057028
There's part of me that's very disappointed that we're letting people like that dictate how we use our language.
>>
>>50057127
Language always changes and adapts. You're always held hostage to majority opinion and you have to adapt yourself or risk being misunderstood or called out on being...old, I guess.

Or course modern mass media has a way of rigging public perception, so, yeah, that's something to be despised.
>>
>>50057091
Not really, because a nat 20 is not an automatic success on an ability check, only on attacks and saves
>>
Anyone have any interesting idea's for a Spirit Naga's lair?

tldr Spirit Naga captured an important NPC and the PC's have to go rescue him. Want to make it interesting.

I was thinking of incorporating some elements from the Plane of Shadow with the WIS/CON saves for sanity, etc in certain locations. That feeling of always being watched, etc.
>>
>>50057181
We're dealing with houserules, right? Or at least someone proposing a houserule. It's a bit vague right now. Personally I don't see any problem with applying crits to skills and it would certainly be a saving grace in a system like that. Not without doing like >>50057042 and still finding ways to justify modifiers.
>>
>>50057127
Yeah, it is kind of shitty but I guess that's just the way of things. Language changes, especially when something becomes mainstream. Especially when it is something niche that the mainstream isn't going to understand.

Shit, I spent my teens trying to police people who classified Blink 182 as a punk band. Seems silly to be so worked up about it now, but I kind of feel the same way about the word "trolling" so who the hell knows.
>>
>>50057232
It becomes more of an issue at higher levels when a roll of 20 doesn't even always mean a success based on modifications to the roll.
>>
Looking for a fun 5e podcast that isn't TAZ. Hit me
>>
>>50057151
I can see how they would get confused. Most trolls aren't very subtle, and their attempts to get a rise out of people really are little more than insults and abuse. The best trolls are much more subtle than that. They say things that would be completely acceptable in any other context, but that they know will trigger an unreasonable reaction in their target. Good trolling reveals bad traits in your target while making you look blameless.
>>
I want to make a tiefling paladin. It's so edgy, but I want to do it. Just can't think of a backstory that will not be an exercise in edge.
>>
>>50057265
I agree in principal insofar as rolling a 1 or 20 on a D20 is the same odds as rolling any other number, 1 in 20. However a natural roll of 1 or 20 are awarded special consideration. That's all the justification it needs for combat, right? Is the same principal somehow broken just because the number you want to achieve is higher or does it just seem that way when a mere 20 on a dice says you can still pass something with a difficulty of 30 and we don't want such a low number to beat a high one?
>>
Man, I'm pretty hype for Lizardmen. I'm guessing they'll get Natural Weapons, maybe a bonus to AC, alongside a bonus to Dex and Wis.

>dat sweet Lizardman bounty hunter
>Cool, calculating, savage
>>
>>50057359
Bossk, please.
>>
>>50057332
it's impossible so just embrace it
>>
>>50057285
It's a hard call because trolls can benefit from natural camouflage. We could give the benefit of a doubt to what people were doing here. Was either side baiting or just firm in how they understood things and suffering from arguers high?

Goddamn I saw an entire thread (about elves!) derailed by people arguing about "giant elves." It was insane! But neither party would let it go even when people were appealing to agreeing to disagree. It was clear they'd never find common ground, but they wouldn't stop.
>>
>>50057271
some dude keeps talking up his podcast, bards and nobles. haven't checked it out but it's got a pretty sick name if i'm honest.

i tried to listen to other stuff but aquisitiond inc gets off to way too slow a start and never really intro'd the characters too well. that one wotc twitch stream of CoS is good, though. the macelroys are just too experienced with podcasting and improv work, they've been podcasting for 6 years, their father does radio, justin and griffin do monster factory, and travis has 8 podcasts. it makes everyone else seem dull to listen to.
>>
>>50057271
Isn't there one called Bards and Nobles that's a /tg/ podcast?
Note: I have no idea if it's good or not. I just think the name is cute, and I've seen it gather either slight appreciation or polite apathy in the threads since B&N-anon started posting.
>>
I've wanted to play a monk for a long time but there's a core central hump that I've never been able to scale in regards to the logic of the themes of the class. If I play a monk I don't want to use magic items and I've never been able to reach an agreement with a DM on how to handle that so I always just end up playing something else.

The reasoning is that my entire class is about my monktastic traditions and order right? I go through training to find enlightenment and hone my body to perfection. Putting on a belt of ogre's strength feels like cheating and something my character wouldn't do and something I wouldn't want to do either. The same goes with taking potions that provide buffs or that alter your body in some way.

I just feel like in general as a monk in D&D terms I'd be opposed to any shortcuts to strength.
>>
>>50055211
Bibs & Pacifiers: Babbies First RPG
>>
>>50057332
You grew up in a particularly tolerant town and no one really thought of you as any different than anyone else. One day you saw a paladin smiting evil or destroying some great threat, and you thought it was rad and wanted to be like him. Only upon leaving town did you realize that other people had uncharitable views toward tieflings.

Basically you would be the black kid that grew up in the suburbs, and then decided that he would move to rural Georgia for some charitable cause.
>>
>>50057359
>Dex and Wis

I think STR and Con more likely. Perhaps STR and WIS
>>
>>50057332
Just be a sexy devil
>>
>>50052806

I do the Matt Mercer

>DC 20 + level of the ritual.
>A soul must be willing
>Why are you willing?
>Answer deternines DC
>"Muh friends" is not a valid reason as its the reason the ritual can be performed at all in the first place.
>Contributions from the party lower the DC
>Entreating from patrons, gods, promises to the soul, special components, such as a diamond that he gave one of the pcs as an egagement present, or an altar of rock made of the character's birthplace.
>Every character gets at most 1 contribution
>>
>>50057479
Couldn't you just make it a "fish out of water" from the get-go? I guess foundlings are a bit cliche. Someone dumps a Tiefling in a basket on a convent steps and the nuns raised him as a holy man?
>>
>>50057479
That's pretty cool, thanks.
>>
>>50057498
>be cute female tiefling paladin
>for some reason guys always want to do good when you are around
>must be the power of my diety
>>
>>50057439
>If I play a monk I don't want to use magic items
dude just use magic items
they make you more effective - only a fool rejects things that would benefit them with no downside
if you're worried about "muh discipline" then it's pretty telling when you don't even believe your character would work themselves just because they take advantage of something that makes them better
it's like not using a car because "it takes away from the achievement of walking twenty miles to my job" - it's inane
>>
>>50057332
Make up a story about a black man who joins the police force in the 50s era South.

Then replace all instances of Tennessee in the story with faerun, and all instances of nigger in the story with tiefling.
>>
>>50057439
You're in luck, because magic items are completely optional in 5E. If your GM wasn't planning on handing them out (or making them exceedingly rare, or only allowing consumables like potions and scrolls) you should get along just fine.

If your GM is planning on including a fair number of magic items, and god forbid making available in stores, you can always ask him to grant your character inherent bonuses instead. For example, when the party defeats an adult red dragon and loots its hoard, instead of getting a magical item your GM might inform you that the experience of defeating a fire-breathing dragon has taught you how to avoid fire, and that your character now has resistance to fire damage. Most (if not all) permanent magical items could have their benefits translated into a mixture of training and ki mastery.

This would require a few things to keep it balanced. First, you'd have to actually stick with your policy of not using magic items. No double-dipping as it were. Second, you'd treat these kind of benefits like magic items - a special reward, not something you expect to get all the time. Don't just punch out a few goblins and ask for a permanent buff against goblins. Be gracious and consider every extra thing you get as just that - extra. Not something you're entitled to. Third, a lot of magic items only give certain benefits while you are 'attuned' to them. You would be limited to a grand total of three of such boons / training bonuses at a time, so that you don't break that restriction.

Your GM might be against the idea, if so then it's ultimately up to you whether you want to play a Monk or not. Heck, you could always just reject magic items anyway even if they're handed to you. Making sub-optimal decisions because it fits your character better is a great way to roleplay sometimes. If your character ends up less powerful because the GM throws around awesome magic items, well, that's just part of the story.
>>
>>50057332
You've always tried to be good. First you tried practicing your trade honestly and giving to the poor. Then you tried joining the army and serving your country. Now you've tried joining the church and openly declaring yourself a selfless servant of the people, and still nothing works. Nobody trusts or respects you, nobody even likes you, and even those who seem to accept your good intentions are happy to simply use you. If anything ever does tempt you to fall, it will be the chance to earn the respect you've always wanted by doing something bad.
>>
>>50057704

>Campaign has magic items all over the place
>80% of them are cursed and if we didn't have a cleric with remove curse we'd all likely be totally dead and/or dying.

Fuck it.
>>
>>50055211
> Monster races
Take players and characters one at a time.

If I don't think a player will be able to narratively deal with being hated and feared by the population at large, I'll urge them to reconsider.
>>
>>50057834
You'll have to grant that in some settings just being an elf or dwarf (or, yes, sometimes a human) means you deal with a lot of hate.
>>
File: drake-sem-grammy.jpg (27KB, 681x402px) Image search: [Google]
drake-sem-grammy.jpg
27KB, 681x402px
>Player decides to make an evil Winged Tiefling Blade lock / Swashbuckler who wants to slowly corrupt the rest of the party into indiscriminate killing machines, or failing that, sacrifice them to his demon patron
>>
>>50057796
monk damage is really bad without some kind of iron knuckle shit

it's difficult to compete with the fighter who gets the same number of swings per round as you but gets an additional 2d6+10 every hit from his flame tongue greatsword while you're dealing a max of 13 damage a swing
>>
>>50057704
For some adventurers it might be a matter of integrity. Using a magic item may be like an athlete using steroids, of in the case of a martial artist, it could be seen as a crutch that proves they do not trust their own skills and training.

Other adventurers may dislike magical items for personal reasons. Perhaps their village was subjugated by warriors with magical equipment, and they hate how magic items give bullies more power to harm the innocent. Maybe a family member bought a healing potion that had horrible side-effects and left her maimed. You could even have a character be superstitious, and associate all 'wizardry' with the unnatural forces of darkness and their unholy powers - surely no good can come from dabbling in the same arts.

Even if you, the player, know that a magical item is 100% beneficial to your character, there are still many reasons why you would not want to use it. You may not agree with those reasons, but they still exist and are still valid.
>>
>>50057902
>sacrifice them to his demon patron
Why these people want to play cooperative game like RPGs?
>>
>>50057922
...Corruption fetish?
>>
>>50057905

>Playing Monk for damage

You're a CC spam machine that sets up for the better players (Fighters) to deal massive FREE DAMAGE.

You can also -kind of- tank, with easily boosted AC.

So yeah, pick a fucking fighter if you want to wreck shit
>>
>>50057917
so I shouldn't use a car to drive to work
I should walk because cars are a crutch
>>
>>50057942
I don't know why I'm picking a monk who refuses to use any magic items in the first place
I must be retarded
>>
>>50057905
Will your campaign ever even last that long, though? Most of the time the monk gets more attacks and similar damage. Also they can stunlock people, which is sick as hell
>>
>>50057078
expertise, from rogues & bards
>>
>>50057969
all my 5e games (3) that weren't short-shots (5 of those) have gone to 20 thus far
all of them have gone to 6, and 6 of them have gone 'til 11
>>
>>50057948
Not a perfect comparison, since the degree of difficulty is so much further. It's more like taking the stairs or using an escalator, bit imagine you're in China and escalators are often faulty and eat people or sometimes explode and cause harm at random.

I would ask your DM about "making magical items" by taking time to train yourself on new techniques or apply mystical ki-channeling tattoos or something. Or you could treat it like a goliath would- it's a useful tool to have around, but you mustn't trust in always having it, using it as an expendable extra supplement to your true strength.
>>
>>50055281
You are one you pice of shit
>>
>>50057871
Well, sure. But I'm assuming the OP question is assuming whatever passes for a default setting in this edition, where elves and dwarves are explicitly described as commonly encountered.
>>
>>50057990
I should use a bike to go to work because cars are a crutch
I can just get a pair of magic caestus
>>
>>50058019
>I should use a bike to go to work because cars are a crutch
Nigga, my job is 40 miles from my home. Cars are necessity.
>>
>>50058071
anything that makes your life better you ought to use
whether it's magic items or your car
>>
>>50056132
>Unless your DM has allowed magic item crafting, mostly yes. Rules for it are shite in 5.

I like my crafting rules

>You can progress 25 gp a day in your artisan craft of choice
>You must have proficiency in that field
>Consumables are half the cost
>You must have a schematic for a item you wish to craft
>You may produce a schematic first
>Schematics are one step of rarity above the item
>You progress at a rate of 25 gp a day + 5gp per point invested in Investigation
>You must possess the components for the schematic you wish to research. If you wish to reproduce a magic item, or produce a magic item to functions in a way similar to the original, you must have the original, or extensive notes
>Consumables are destroyed by the process
>If it has a magic effect, you must produce material capable of channeling magic effects of that property, and a source of that property, be it your own spell casting, or incorporating the original piece onto the new work as a part of the whole.
>>
>>50058007
I think it's about given more options, regardless of the default setting (which shouldn't really matter). I don't think commonality plays into the equation as much as common perceived behavior for a race, which gets into Drizzt territory if the player diverges from that norm.
>>
Thoughts on this article regarding broken / no-fun spells in 5e? http://dmdavid.com/tag/how-new-changes-created-the-4-most-annoying-spells-in-dungeons-dragons/

I've thought about altering Counterspell a little bit with effects similar to Wild Magic, or a 1d20 table ranging from nothing happens to the spell is reflected at the caster, or even contested Concentration / Arcana checks.
>>
>>50057271

www.bardsandnobles.com

>>50057391
>>50057409
Thanks for the shoutout guys. I'm trying to not be too obnoxious about plugging it, so I'm only posting about it on Mondays (when we post new episodes) and once on the weekends to get in front of different posters.

It's not /tg/ specifically, I just happen to be the DM and post on here infrequently. So far the feedback has been mostly positive. Really only technical stuff as far as negatives (less / no eating into the mics, less drunk banter more gameplay, etc.)

I usually come to /5eg/ for advice / suggestions, so don't be surprised if I steal things unashamedly from here every now and then. We even considered selling out and taking full on suggestions for encounters / adventure ideas on the site, but don't know if that's gonna fly in the future.
>>
>>50058229

Banishment is the most annoying bullshit in the world, any time an enemy we encounter has access to the spell they WILL use it against my character because my DM has some hateboner against my character for tricking Asmodeus into a shitty shoddy contract.

Lucky for me I have high charisma but still every single time "lol the wizard/cleric points his finger at you and yells out banishment xd" fuck that shit
>>
>>50058229
article by butthurt DM who thinks everything is DM vs players rings of butthurt
news at 11
>>
How would you gents recommend running a naval campaign? In particular, managing ship-to-ship combat, as the basic idea is the party will be tasked with what amounts pirate hunting, and that entails lots of rules that aren't exactly baked in to 5e.
>>
>>50058284
But it happens the other way around too. Like if my players want to cast something, I can no-fun handwave it and just be like nope, Mummy No. 5 knows Counterspell.
>>
>>50056399
...how is it that I've lived my entire life and never realized being drunk is basically a poison side effect.
>>
>>50058339
Although it wasn't ship to ship, up there in the aforementioned podcast I had my players fight a giant octopus borrowing heavily from the following sources:

https://olddungeonmaster.wordpress.com/2015/05/03/dd-5e-drowning/

http://www.tribality.com/2014/12/31/naval-combat-rules-for-dd-5th-edition-part-3/
>>
>>50058261
Don't be ashamed of stealing stuff, it's pretty encouraged actually.
>>
>>50058348
that's perfectly acceptable - counterspell eats its reaction and that spell slot
also (even though I completely think it's retarded) you can counterspell someone else's counterspell, meaning if you try to counterspell my fireball I can counterspell your counterspell and my fireball will go off
>>
File: jarmusch originality.jpg (258KB, 812x992px) Image search: [Google]
jarmusch originality.jpg
258KB, 812x992px
>>50058371
THIS
>>
>>50058384
>flashbacks of MTG and deciphering the stack or at least explaining how the Stack works to non-MTG players
>>
>>50058229
I'm not sure if I'd call those out as being the most broken.
>>
>>50058445
I never thought it was complicated
I don't and never have understood why people find it confusing
>>
>>50058477
Neither did I. But explaining it to a new MTG player / casual / old person / someone who just doesn't get it was frustrating as hell.
>>
>>50058185
If the most commonly perceived behavior for a race is associated with that race being perceived as monstrous, regardless of setting, the player should be prepared to be treated as such.

If their buddies aren't there to vouch for them, they don't get to act surprised when a frontiersman mistakes Smitty Greenbutt, goblin ranger, for the vanguard of a war party.
>>
I asked this question yesterday but I went to bed before I saw any replies.

If I wanted to play a witch with the powers of bewitchment and such which makes more sense? Wizard or Warlock?

If Wizard i'd be torn between Enchantment or Necromancy for my specialization. For Warlock I think Fey-pact would feel best for what I want, but I can't decide between Pact of Chain or Book. If I go with Chain i'd want an imp familiar, but that's typically with fiend-pact warlocks. Then again my patron is likely some kind of Great-Grandmother Hag creature that empowers a whole sorority of witches.

Im looking to go with a classic witch thing so any feedback would be awesome.
>>
>>50058732
Book gives can give you the ritual stuff, which is hella witchy. (including a familiar)
>>
What's the highest sustained damage you can put out?

So far, the highest I can think of is on average 104 per round, which would be a Bladelock 12 rogue 7, fighter 1.
>>
File: deeper.jpg (25KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
deeper.jpg
25KB, 600x339px
>>50058394
>Quote within a quote
>>
>>50058513
>>50058477
I think it's because it's "backwards" - normies think "I played my card first, so it should happen first, this is bull"
>>
>>50058732
Warlock gives off more of a witch vibe of forbidden magic, and Fey Pact is solid with the sort of forest themes.

An Imp familiar can work with Chain, though I might instead suggest the standard Find Familiar spell to get yourself a more traditional animal familiar.

Book can give you some extra cantrips and rituals, which might fit better if you want a nice number of utility spells.
>>
>>50058810
?
against what AC?
>>
>>50058815
The concept of reacting to reactions to reactions while the original triggering event just sits still and patiently waits for things to happen is pretty counter intuitive. But the stack is a good way of explaining a weird concept.
>>
>>50058859
It's purely theoretical so assume attacks always hit
>>
>>50058810
You're probably assuming stats you won't have and ignoring your attack bonus when you're tanking your attack bonus and using more bonus actions per round than you actually have, so maybe you should vet your current build first.
>>
>>50058339
I hacked the general parts of Rogue Trader's ship combat into my game. Can throw shitdoc together for you later.
>>
>>50055849
In OotA is a good Mind Flayer in the society of brilliance, which is a random encounter.
>>
>>50058870
It's purely theoretical so assume attacks always hit
First, for what possible reason?

Second, Open Hand monk. Use Quivering Palm and assume they fail their saving throw. It does the most damage it is possible to do to one creature.

This is how retarded you are.
>>
>>50058758
C'mon man, no one cares about your homebrew. Posting it every thread isn't going to make us like it more. It doesn't even have a sort of charm to it, like the dumb catgirl race.
>>
>>50058906
Dude I was just explaining, I'm not the original poster
And your example is stupid as hell, they obviously mean numerical damage
>>
>>50058859
Against low ac, since this relies on sharpshooter.

With a plus three magic weapon, level 20 and max dex, and the archery fighting style, the Bladelock has a plus 11 hit bonus while sharpshooting.

Against ac 20, this means 60 percent of attacks hit. So you would lose some damage against higher acs, especially compared to non sharpshooting, non gwm based builds.
>>
>>50058870
GWM fighter 20
(2d6(8.33 w/ GWF) + 5(STR) + 10(GWM) +1d12(6.5)(SD))x4 = 119
no action surge
>>
>>50058912
wew lad
you shouldn't be salty just because someone is existentially better than you [/spoiler];)[/spoiler]
>>
>>50058706
D&D has been doing this for a long time now. Playable Orcs and Dragonborn in the official handbook rather than individual settings making their own rules. This is just a natural extension.

>regardless of setting
You just set the parameters that they are monstrous so of course regardless of the setting if they are considered monsters they'll be perceived of as monsters. That's pretty damn obvious.

Yet if we're already dealing with playable orcs and orcs are still listed as traditional in the monster manual we've been dealing with these scenarios for quite some time now in official D&D. In this case all they did was add the possibility of exchanging orc with another type of monster.
>>
>>50058758
Homebrew stuff won't be allowed.

>>50058802
Book could totally work, and Find Familiar sounds right for a ritual she would know. Question now is, Raven, Rat, Owl, Toad, or Cat?
>>
>>50059031
sucks dick
>>
>>50059031
Cat for classic witch, raven or owl for more wizardy
>>
>>50058879
20 dex, 20 cha is easily obtainable at level 20 with the build, using standard point buys, though you'd need to drop fighter and do rogue 8.

The real challenge are fitting the two necessary feats in to it. Variant human gets you one feat, and the other might have to be a reward.

Anyways, mini crossbow +3, turned into your pact weapon, so you can add dex and cha mods to damage. Pre cast hex. This gives you 2d6+23 every successful attack, at +9 to hit after sharpshooter. On one attack, add 4d6 sneak attack damage.

>>50058947
Does SD mean superiority dice? Because using 2/3rds of your superiority dice in one attack round isn't exactly what I'd call sustained.
>>
>>50059170
polearm master oathbreaker paladin 20
(1d10+1d8(improved smite)+10 (STR + CHA) +10 (GWM)+3d4(elemental weapon))x3 = 112.5
there are you happy now
>>
>>50059229
slightly less - 109.5

more than >>50058810 still
>>
>>50058732
Classicly, witches gained their powers by selling their soul to/had sex with the devil, so infernal pact fits. I'd say go with the tome too, since they did have spellbooks full of potions/etc.
>>
>>50059248
Witches and hags skirt the line between infernal and fey in D&D, so I want to do the same in a way.

I think Fey-pact works better mechanically for what I want. Infernal is much more of an offensive thing.

Would Prestidigitation be a waste of a cantrip to take at level 1 for a Warlock? I imagine this character likes to keep herself presentable and uses small magics for quality of life.
>>
>>50059288
Prestidigitation, if you ask anyone here, is always worth it. You either take a 2 level dip into diviner, take magic initiate, or tomelock to get it. No build is complete without prestidigitation.
>>
File: 1450155831343.jpg (115KB, 500x564px) Image search: [Google]
1450155831343.jpg
115KB, 500x564px
Tiny race anon at it again. Should a tiny ranged weapon have half the range of a normal one? This seems to be the precedent with Sprites, but I don't want to curb martials severely and not casters.
...should I halve spell range as well?
>>
File: laughingneckbeard.jpg (62KB, 734x510px) Image search: [Google]
laughingneckbeard.jpg
62KB, 734x510px
>>50059310
>>
File: TavernDMG.png (5MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
TavernDMG.png
5MB, 1736x2456px
I made a tavern thing you fucks can use if you wanna.
>>
>>50059319
some races are better for certain roles than others while some are worse at certain roles than others
I don't know why that's controversial
>>
>>50059288
Prestidigitation is never a waste.
>>50059240
I discount smite again because of limited uses. You get 8 smites at full damage, and it only goes down from there.
>>
>>50059343
>I discount smite again because of limited uses
improved smite is passive dumbfuck
>>
>>50059346
Oops, didn't read your thing. Did that anger you?
>>
>>50059343
>>50059310
why is pretidigitation that good?
>>
>>50059380
no I get to insult you for being illiterate
that brings me joy
>>
>>50059384
It's a big list of minor cantrips rolled into one, with wide space for creative (mostly roleplay) use.
>>
>>50059384
it's not that good, it's just handy
>>
>>50059170
So V. Human with 16/16 starting dex/cha. Warlock 12/Rogue 8 gets you enough ASI.
At +9 to hit, your 2d6+23 does 15.35 against AC 20. When you have to cast Hex, you deal 42.25, and when you have Hex already up you deal 59.525 average damage.

If you actually have to use Hex 1/3 of the time, that's an average of 53.76~, or 1/2 the time and it's 50.8875.

As your opponent, a level 20 warlock with eldritch blast and a +3 rod of the pact keeper does 43.8 avg DPR with Hex, or 56.01 with advantage (like from Foresight) against the same AC 20.

Alternatively, Warlock 20 casts True Polymorph and laughs.
>>
>>50059288
>>50059343

I guess my final question is Eldritch Blast a necessity, and do I have to take Agonizing Blast with it at level 2? Something like Chill Touch is more Witchy, and Friends suits more with Bewitchment.

Also really want to take the weirder invocations like Beast Speech and Devil's Sight. Probably Devil's Sight but could Speak with Animals be saved for ritual spells?
>>
>>50059384
>Why is Wish, Minor that good?
One, if your DM let's you get away with it, you can do anything that doesn't have a noticeable crunch.
Two, what this guy >>50059395 said. Clean a castle for resale, light/delight fires, create a smell for a tracking dog, small trinket i.e. skeleton key, prevent part suicide at the thought of meals with no flavor, etc.
>>
>>50059384
It depends on how good your dm is. Bad dms will limit it. Good dms will interpret it liberally, and not mind that creative use of it can invalidate some non combat challenges and encounters.

My favorite litmus test is the key example.

A wizard with the feat that gives perfect recall spies the key ring on a jailor's belt, and when nobody is looking begins producing keys identical to the ones on the loop with magic. He tries them all out, before finally unlocking the cell.

A good dm will allow this. A bad dm won't.
>>
>>50059439
fabricate is a 4th level spell that's way more restrictive than that
you could get away reasonably with conjuration wizard's level 2 feature doing that, but not prestifuckingdigitation for Christ's sake
>>
>>50059470
>Key exists for one round
>Less restrictive than fabricate
Riiiiiiight...
>>
>>50059510
>I can do this every round for free
you have never read fabricate in your life
>>
>>50059439
Since prestidigitation is pretty vague, I'd probably have the wizard make a check to pick the lock using intelligence, with advantage from Keen Mind. Just because they know what to make doesn't mean they can reproduce it unerringly with "a minor magical trick" usually intended to create a "trinket".
>>
>>50059527
>Turn wall of iron into 1000 masterwork daggers
Have you?
>>
File: just end it.png (55KB, 269x87px) Image search: [Google]
just end it.png
55KB, 269x87px
>>50059547
you people are stupid *SO CONSISTENTLY* it's amazing in it's own right
10000laughinganimegirls.jpeg
>>
>>50059547
It literally says specifically you can't make weapons.
Also, the example it gives is a bridge, yet it cannot create an object larger than 5 feet. Amazing, innit?
>>
>>50059581
>Unless you have proficiency with the tools needed to craft them
>>
>>50059626
WOW WHAT A COMEBACK
HOW WILL WE EVER RECOVER
>>
>>50059423
Eldritch blast is pretty important, since with Agonizing Blast combined you effectively become an archer with little investment. It's a reliable source of good damage output.

Chill Touch and Friends are both fitting, but this is mainly reasons you should take Tome for extra cantrips.

Theoretically, you could get by with just Chill Touch and skip on Agonizing Blast and Eldritch Blast, but you'd be doing 4 less average damage per round at a minimum, and it drops off hard from there.
>>
>>50055951
What are their stats?
>>
>>50059673
they're faggots and didn't leak them
everybody already knows lizardfolk lore - all we care about is the fucking stats
>>
>>50059673
No one knows yet
>>
>>50059596

>Tinker's Tools
>Create automaton army

I'd play it
>>
>>50059470
>>50059544
Keys are pretty much objectively trinkets, there are even some examples listed in the trinket table.

Keen mind is pretty much designed for this kind of thing.

Also, take a step back from your default position of "fuck the players for bypassing my shitty door obstacles" that makes you such a shit dm. This is the player escaping a jail cell, which, obviously is in a jail. You still have plenty of opportunities to let other players shine in the escape the jail mission.
>>
>>50059731
Tinker, Tailor, Golem, That Guy.
>>
>>50059737
because you remember every single groove on every single key from glancing at them for a moment from a single angle
yeah
keen mind makes your vision perfect and unerring
just like eidetic memory in real life
>>
>>50059737
Big fighty guy- use your raw strength to try and bust down the door. Very difficult DC for a well made door.
Sneaky thiefy guy- use your lockpicking kit that you have expert training in to try and pick the lock, roll for it with extra bonuses.
Smart magicky guy- use your at will minor spell to try and pick the lock, and a better chance at it if you have a perfect memory, roll for it.
Which is apart from the fact the magicky guy can get spells to break the door or knock it open, or teleport behind it, or open it from the other side...
>>
>>50059817
Dnd isn't real life, and the rules for real life concepts don't necessarily apply. I thought that was obvious since we're talking about a guy who summons keys by snapping his fingers. But I guess you're a special type of person.

Keen mind guarantees accurate recall. If you don't like that, try to sign people up for your cliche free 10 percent realistic simulator, but don't shitpost in the fantasy game general.

>>50059892
What you're asking for is more like making a thief who got one of his contacts to sneak a copy of the key into jail to roll to pick the lock anyways.

Creativity and roleplay can bypass challenges without a roll, and that's okay.
>>
>>50059892
Teleportation needs line of sight in most short-range cases, Knock alerts everyone nearby, and blasting the door with a spell is going to be even louder and more wasteful than the Fighter doing it.

More likely would be the wizard using prestidigitation to make a lockpick for the thief so he can pick the door, assuming everyone is trapped in a cell without their stuff.
>>
>>50060002
keen mind is a magical feat that gives you extremely high passive perception, such that you can both perfectly see and perfectly call every single groove on multiple keys so long as you'd even glimpsed them for a single second at a single angle
I know observant gives you a bonus to your passive perception, but it's *actually* keen mind which is the superior choice folks
>>
>>50059892

I have found myself locked in cells as a wizard about six times before I reached level 5

It came to the point where they'd dump me in a cell, I'd transmute the lock into mayo, go take a shit, and put myself in the next cell over while I waited for the right time for us to break out of prison
>>
>>50060054
You can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the last month.
>>
>>50060105
perfectly recalling a blurry picture doesn't make the picture any less blurry
>>
>>50060054
>You can accurately recall anything you have seen or heard within the last month.
>Accurately
>>
>>50060054
let me guess, youre the kind of dumbfuck who normally makes your players roll int if they ask you the name of an npc from last session that they cant remember.
>>
>>50060140
you can study your accurate picture of a knife 13 feet away all you like
you're still not going to be able to count the serrations from the picture - the resolution isn't good enough for that

>>50060178
you're a bad guesser
>>
>>50060115
Accurately
>>
Does Forgotten Realms have a race of catfolk? Not like that PDF but something akin to Khajiit. I remember hearing about a race that I think was called Tabaxi or something like that?
>>
>>50060195
>>50060192
>>
>>50060198
>being a furry
yiff in hell
>>
Hey, I'm looking for roll tables for mutations and body alterations. Anyone have any? All I have so far is an updated version of a d20 modern one.
>>
File: Untitled.png (222KB, 420x610px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
222KB, 420x610px
WHAT UP MOTHERFUCKERS

VOLO RACES LEAKED
>>
>>50060192
Accurately.

(PS I wouldn't make the wizard even roll perception to spot the keys, considering guards wouldn't hide them. A simple role play on the Wizards part to get the guard closer is sufficient to resolve your meaningless objection to good dming.)
>>
File: 1402506818676.png (223KB, 420x595px) Image search: [Google]
1402506818676.png
223KB, 420x595px
>>50060212
>>
>>50058083
I think the point is that the entire point of monk traditions is to remove and separate attachment to material desires and weaknesses in order to find true strength and enlightenment from within.

Persevering through suffering is the entire point. Self discipline is the entire point.

In game terms a magic item may give you 1d8 fire damage. But a monk looks longer term and understands that the 1d8 doesn't belong to him, its not his strength, he's borrowing it and using it to ease the tasks before him. If he approaches the tasks via his own strength and overcomes them then his reward is
>+100ft movement speed
>flying
>shadowwalking
>immunity to poison, desease, charm, illusion, etc
>the ability to understand any and all languages
>literally becoming a magical being
>not aging anymore
>not eating, drinking, sleeping anymore
>9 attacks a turn dealing 1d20 damage each hit.
>damage reduction simply from his body being so rock hard
>the ability to avoid magical attacks, catch arrows, and kill someone with a single strike.
>>
>>50060198
>>50060212
Wow, look at that timing. Never mind then.
>>
>>50060195
Accurate memory of something you've seen doesn't magically generate more knowledge of it than you have.

Being able to recall the specific utterances an Orc made to you in Orcish doesn't suddenly mean you know what he said.

You can have a perfect picture of what you saw, but if you were in a dimly lit room you still only have a perfect picture of a dimly lit room.
>>
>>50060231
you really have no idea how vision and memory work
that's not surprising though, given you're a random nobody

>>50060235
you can find strength within and still make use of strength without
>>
>>50060212

Holy shit is this for real? I'd kill to play a Yuan Ti or Kenku.
>>
>>50060255
Yep, it's the Fantasy Grounds list.
>>
>>50060212
Did not expect Yuan-ti
>>
>>50060269
I didn't expect yuan-ti or bugbears
>>
Do we have a list of monsters as well. That would be cool.
>>
>>50055301
This.

I'm actually surprised there's no disclaimer that even suggests against the GM allowing dragonborn and tieflings. In the Ravenloft setting I was always familiar with, you'd be run out of town, or the town would run from you, if you looked like one of these. You're barely tolerated as an elf or dwarf.
>>
>>50060286
Not at the moment, but I'm sure that'll be coming soon as well.
>>
>>50060212
>Tabaxi
So this is our catgirl? Disappointed
>>
>>50060311
hear hear
furbait shit
>>
>>50060244
We're not talking about real memory you moron. We're talking about the Hollywood photographic memory granted by the keen mind feat.

>>50060239
Being able to recall specific utterances of orcish wouldn't cover meaning sure, but it would let you imitate a pass phrase that you heard . Which is a better analogy, more similar to what we're discussing.

Don't bother with analogies in the future, you suck at them as much as you suck at dming.
>>
>>50060212
finally that catgirl poster will fuck off

hopefully
>>
>>50060244
>you can find strength within and still make use of strength without

You can, anyone can reach level 20. If you're a monk its assumed that you as an individual are following a path that guides you towards not seeking out the easiest path though.

I guess monks don't have to be lawful anymore so you're monk could be whatever and some monks are probably nothing more than street brawlers that would gladly use the first magic item in reach to increase their power and allow them to overcome the challenges them and their friends face easier.

The standard monk of old though is assumed to be a lawful individual that follows and ideology of strict discipline and training. If you follow that type of training then crutching on a magic item could very well be insulting to all the work you've put into your training. It could be insulting to your master, your style, and your school. Instant strength is insulting to the very idea of self improvement through transcendence.

When you watch a boxing match you would hope the kid who worked hard every day, who raised himself from nothing through the sweat of his brow and his god given talent would beat a guy that's roiding and using hardened boxing gloves and covering himself in oil.
>>
>>50060311
It's okay friend, you can still refluff them as catgirls.
just like I will
>>
>>50060212
>no illithid
hopes demolished
>>
>>50060323
>it would let you imitate a pass phrase that you heard

But if you only heard him say half of a pass phrase, you wouldn't be able to finish it.

Same way as how if you only saw a key from one angle, you wouldn't know what the other side looked like.

Don't bother at arguing in the future. You suck at saying accurately over and over again.
>>
File: 1393627868775.jpg (52KB, 399x227px) Image search: [Google]
1393627868775.jpg
52KB, 399x227px
>>50060212

> Kenku
>>
>>50060323
yeah are we
wanna quote a dev on keen mind giving you absolute omniscience in regard to everything you can see?

>>50060331
nah

>>50060341
so the monk philosophy you're pushing as the norm would insist on walking to Baldur's Gate instead of taking a horse, because taking a horse is the easiest path
neat and totally reflective of the majority of monk mindsets in D&D yeah
>>
>>50060266

Awesome.

>>50060269

I am excite.
>>
>>50060341
Alignment limits for classes are and always were retarded. Pretending they have any relevance today or that they should is stupid.

Monks can be the foot clan. They can be disciplined warriors seeking personal gain.
>>
>>50060380
The average D&D monk can run faster and longer than a horse.
>>
>>50060406
>average
no they can't
the average monk is not level 18
>>
>>50060367
See >>50060231
>>
>>50056245
>You cannot succeed on a roll of 16 because that is beyond the player's capabilities, barring any modifiers
This is flat out incorrect in the 5th edition D&D ruleset. Your later responses in the discussion seem to be defending a completely different position than this, while pretending that you are defending the original statement.

Sometimes its easier just to say "I was wrong" anon. Your ego toughen up the less guarded you are of it.
>>
File: 1372490088180.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1372490088180.gif
2MB, 300x169px
>>50060427
>>
>>50060420
A horses movement speed is 50ft

A monk is moving 40ft at the first speed increase and it goes up to like +80ft or 110ft for a human.
>>
>>50060452
a riding horse's movement speed is 60 ft Jesus Christ
>>
>>50056077
So make them up, dork. We aren't your personal statblock creators.
>>
>>50060471
I guess most monks probably cant, but a monk that's reasonably higher level can run faster, certainly before level 18.
>>
>>50060212
>Aasimar
>Forgotten Realms
What?
>>
>>50060452
>>50060495
You don't use your monk speed for long distance traveling anyway.
>>
>>50060495
no, at 18th level they're literally equal
>>
>>50060212
>Kenku
Awwwww yeah
>>
>>50060212
>Yuan-ti as a player race
What?
Like Bugbears, Orcs, and such I get, the realms has plenty of examples of them as actual people and not monsters, but Yuan-ti are infamous for being god awful horrible people who make the Drow seem sensible.
>>
>>50060438
Not an argument
>>
File: 1468287752480.jpg (16KB, 220x202px)
1468287752480.jpg
16KB, 220x202px
>>50060558
>accurately
>>
>>50060311
Seriously, what made you think there'd be catgirls in the first place? Freaking Pathfinder hastily backpedalled its "Amurran" from hot catgirls (as seen in the Bestiary) to furry cats (and not even very good ones); what made you think 5e would do any better, considering they try to be more "family friendly" than the "grim and edgy" PF guys?
>>
>>50060506
I'm new to FR but doesn't pretty much every D&D race in the "D&D multiverse" find a place in Forgotten Realms? (except Dragonlance ones for some reason, which I won't complain about)
>>
>>50060569
Not an argument.
>>
File: 1470958049927.png (121KB, 414x470px) Image search: [Google]
1470958049927.png
121KB, 414x470px
>>50060601
but
>accurately
is
>>
File: FelauForTG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
FelauForTG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50055281
>>
>>50057902
Well, that might be how you chaotic fiend lock, but no that is not conducive to co-op partying.
>>
>>50060613
why do you post weebshit
>>
>>50060613
Why is this race so OP?
>>
>>50057939
Nah, to do that as a party warlock you build up as the trusted magic guy and then when you inspect magic items for the party you spend time to cast bestow curse at later levels and work with the DM to sew the seeds of slow moral decay and corruption to certain boons.
>>
>>50060612
You don't seem to understand the meaning of it, so I was encouraging you to educate yourself.
>>
>>50060655
accurate = omniscience
yeah I'll remember that
you've really made me think
>>
>>50060673
Strawman
>>
>>50055281
>>
>>50060711
you either have omniscience or you can magically project your senses simply by having that feat if you're able to see - perfectly - all the ridges and shape of a key just by looking at once side of it at one angle for a moment
;)
>>
>>50055211
>How do you feel about players playing as monster races?

I'm up for it so long as they offer a good backstory. Same as almost any other character concept. Hope they are used to be stared at though since most villages probably will be unsettled by the presence of a full blooded orc...

Perhaps flumphs will have a playable option...
>>
>>50055246
>Party of two kobolds a goblin and an Orc doesn't sound like a party that fits with the typical fight the evil guy to save something.

They could be an awesome mercenary company though...
>>
>>50060761
>>50060761
Or the wizard talks to the guard a bit while pacing. Still no roll required.
>>
File: 1476955843121.jpg (54KB, 309x417px) Image search: [Google]
1476955843121.jpg
54KB, 309x417px
>>50055832
My nigga.
>>
>>50060808
have your boyfriend put a keyring on his belt and walk about 5 feet up to you and talk at you for 5 minutes
look at the keys the entire time and have him dance around
tell us how well you could perceive the ridges, let alone count them
;)
>>
>>50059319
A tiny race is already going to be a caster race. TIny weapons, tiny reach, tiny damage, tiny range, likely no str or con bonus...
>>
>>50060551
I mean, hobgobs are Samurai Nazis, but OK, let's grump about scalies.
>>
>>50060851
I'm not Gay, or a heroic figure with perfect accurate recall.
>>
>>50060885
or omniscience/projected sight where you can see through objects and determine their exact shape, size, and contour with but a glance from a distance
;)
>>
>>50060916
Back to the strawman. Goodnight shitposter-kun. As always, never dm.
>>
>>50060935
baibai retard-chan~
>>
>>50060803
I have a party of two tieflings and a half-drow (raised by orcs, no less). We're the good guys! Honest!
>>
Is there any decent way to make a low-charisma Feylock?
>>
File: fuCK.gif (2MB, 381x216px) Image search: [Google]
fuCK.gif
2MB, 381x216px
>>50060212
>no thri-kreen
well, maybe some day they'll do it in a dark sun book.
mad as hell tritons got into the T spot instead when no one has literally ever given a shit about them
Thread posts: 345
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.