[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 37

File: Overlord.jpg (3MB, 2558x1573px) Image search: [Google]
Overlord.jpg
3MB, 2558x1573px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previous thread:
>>49855369

"I wish warlords were in 5e" edition.
It's been a while since SCAG classes were released, yet in my experience I've never actually played with anyone who uses them. We have two really hardcore JoJo fans in our party, yet neither of them played sun soul monk yet. What about you, /tg/? What's your experience with SCAG classes?
>>
File: 1476817743248.jpg (56KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476817743248.jpg
56KB, 445x500px
>>49860734
>>49860734
First for skeletons being bread AND butter
>>
>>49860734

>Volo's Guide Preview - Firbolg Race
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Firbolg107.pdf

>Polygon's feature on Volo's Guide to Monsters
http://archive.is/nEmtC

add that
>>
I don't think a class that largely revolves around giving actions to other classes is really suited to 5e if it's too an extent any greater than what battle masters or purple dragon knights do
I would like a class that outright specializes in expertise dice instead of it just being for a fighter archetype, but that might be more of a martial adept (swordsage/warblade/crusader) type deal than a warlord
>>
>>49860734
>What's your experience with SCAG classes?
Swashbuckler is fun, our last monk player wanted to go Sun Soul but kind of drifted out of the game due to overwhelming real life stuff, the player who wanted to go PDK ended up rolling BM.
>>
>>49860763
Goddamnit, I'm kind of upset that I can't see Mind Flayer crotch.
>>
File: senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg (26KB, 201x284px) Image search: [Google]
senshi_dungeon_meshi_92768.jpg
26KB, 201x284px
Could you cook a meal from a dead monster using only Prestidigitation and a knife? You can clean, heat and flavor everything.
>>
hi boyz
>>
>>49860823
>not enjoying the natural flavours of barbecued Rust Monster flesh

What sort of Dwarf are you?
>>
>>49860823
Prestidigitation can warm it but that's not cooking it. You'll want to have Create Bonfire and some cookware.
>>
>>49860763
Makes me hopeful that Volo's guide also gets the full Mystic class writeup.
>>
>>49860823
If you attempt to do anything tangentially useful with prestidigitation your hands fall off.
>>
>>49860734
>What about you, /tg/? What's your experience with SCAG classes?
I find players want to play Unearth Arcana stuff far more often than SCAG stuff, with the exception of Blade-Singer (which I'm very wary about allowing in the first place).

That being said, Booming Blade and Greenflame Blade are some of the most used spells in our games now on classes like Eldritch Knight and Bard.
>>
>>49860860
Mystic is still in playtest zone. v3 is expected for November's UA.
>>
>>49860791
PDK is cool in theory but it's so weak it needs a ton of houserules to work
sun soul is actually really cool, one of my players runs one and it's very helpful to have access to radiant damage for free, plus once you get spirit bomb it becomes really fun. regular monk caveats apply
I also have a battlerager and boy howdy. it's only better than berzerker because it doesn't get exhaustion. best grappler ever. had to give my player knuckle dusters (it was for a one off, so I wasn't worried about balance) so their damage didn't completely fall off.
Storm sorc seems fun, as does swash buckler. the latter completely changes how a rogue plays. I'm probably gonna be up to my ass in both when I run my pirate campaign next year.
arcane cleric is boring, I can't imagine long death monks adding much, and blade singers are blade singers
>>
>>49860859
At least you can still make it taste good even if you eat it raw.
>>
what about the Poopoodoodoo sourcebook
ub poo poo doo doo wizaard l,ao!
>>
>>49860860
mearls confirmed no but said that it will be finished before years end!
>>
>>49860866
We gonna get to argue about prestidigitation in this one?
>>
>>49860841
You're right. I should probably get Minor Conjuration to create some of the stuff I'd need. Or I could just buy it. I'm starting at level one though so I only have 10 GP
>>
>>49860902
>blade singers are blade singers
I am still miffed, 2 editions later, that the class that gets described as having natural magical talent gets saddled with the caster class that is the opposite of it.
>>
>>49860860
I'm actually pretty hyped too, what I have seen so far looks nice
>>
>>49860912
That doesn't make it safe though
>>
>>49860956
Ill be hyped once it comes out and I can download it fo free
>>
>>49860965
You can clean stuff as well though so I guess that makes it safe.
>>
>>49860987
Guess it depends on the meaning of "clean"
Does prestidigitation kill, say, salmonella?
>>
>>49860987
clean =/= sanitary.
>>
>>49861011
If it has a mechanical benit, it's beyond Minor Wish's power
>>
How do we fix the Zendikar vampire and make it more fit to what Zendikar vampires are?
>>
>Wizards perform soul destroying rituals in order to live forever
>warlocks worship profoundly evil undead in order to live forever
>druids can reincarnate into an Elf and live ten elven lifetimes and nobody hates them for it

Lmao this is what 8 wisdom gets you
>>
>>49861019
Scrap it and start over, starting with no charisma boost
>>
>>49860902
>>49860868
Are Swordsingers really as broken as everyone seems to think they are? As someone who hasn't played the class personally, I can see that it's a wizard that gets fairly decent melee capabilities... but it also has garbage HP and doesn't get all the cool fighter stuff that the Eldritch Knight does.
>>
>>49861068
No, they're fine
If you want to be a game breaking wizard you take div, conj or illusion depending on your DM
>>
>>49861062
I think, for a predatory and cunning race, +2 Dex +1 Int would be more fitting, also Perception and Stealth proficiency. Necrotic resistance? ok. As for the zombi turning feature, make something more clear, as it's now is fucking complex as fuck and drags the game to long, or remove it completely and give them something like 1d4 bite that also heals.
>>
>>49861011
"Salmonella"? Is that some sort of demon? Every scholar knows that raw meat isn't good for you because the death of the creature suffuses it with a small amount of negative energy, which must be driven out by the power of fire or drawn out with salt or smoke or boiling water.
>>
>>49861101
>game breaking wizard you take div

err...
>>
My DM told me that prestidigitation doesn't actually clean clothes, it just creates the illusion that it's clean for the duration of the spell. Is my DM retarded, or am I? maybe both?
>>
>>49861101
Enchantment too honestly.

Evocation, Abjuration, Necromancy, and Alteration all kind of suck, but the other four run the gamut from overpowered to insane.
>>
>>49861134
He's misinterpreting,
>>
>>49861068
Nah, they easily start with 19 AC, but they still have 1d6 HPs. I played one and my AC at 2nd level was essentially 21, 26 when I used Shield.

My problem with them seems to be that there's no actual reason or incentive to go melee with them, you can dance and still cast spells like any other wizard. Same problem happens with Bladelocks.
>>
>>49861116
I'm using this now. Thank you friend :)
>>
>>49861122
Divination halfling is going to be objectively more useful than any bladesinger and compared to the other wizards it doesn't depend on DM interpretation of abilities at all
Maybe "game breaking" is the wrong term, I just meant most effective
>>
>>49861122
Portent is crazy good, have you not heard that before?
>>
>>49861163
Good =/= gamebreaking
>>
>>49861134
Firstly it's transmutation, not illusion
Secondly the spell description says "you clean", so it's actually cleaned
>>
>>49861134
Prestidigitation is a hard spell to understand. A lot of people seem to think it's supposed to be a useless cantrip, and any advancement of the plot by a prestidigitation spell is incorrect DMing.

There's another camp that correctly sees it for what it is: a spell with a lot of different purposes, that if used creatively, can and should be an incredibly effective tool in the caster's arsenal.

Your DM belongs to the former, retarded group, and likely plays a martial if he ever gets to not DM.
>>
>>49861163
Unles you get a 3 and a 4 on your rolls, then it's a dead feature that day
>>
>>49861134
It does actually clean the clothes, and the cleaning doesn't revert after an hour because it says 'instantaneously'.
>>
>>49861192
This man is a munchkin, his points seem convincing but they are lies.

Do not get into his van
>>
>>49861192
I'd say like most debates the actual answer lies in the middle ground
It's useful but it shouldn't be doing things that normally take leveled spells to do
>>
>>49861196
3 or 4 can easily make enemies fail saves
Something questionable like 8-10 is worse IMO
>>
>>49861196
Nope, because you can replace the rolls of creatures you can see. Enemy hit your friend? Not any more. Enemy made its saving throw? Not on your watch.
>>
>>49861196
When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s
and record the numbers rolled. You can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by you OR A CREATURE YOU CAN SEE with one of these foretelling rolls

You just use it on enemies when they're going to hit, you silly. Good rolls are useful for companions, but bad rolls are useful for not dying or making enemies fail saving throws.
>>
Question - what if all humans in Barovia are utterly genocided? All of those souls are still trapped in the domain, what will happen to them, if they can't find a suitable baby to reincarnate as?
>>
File: Worf Laughing.gif (1MB, 255x255px) Image search: [Google]
Worf Laughing.gif
1MB, 255x255px
>>49861219
>>49861225
>>49861230
Missed that bit applying to enemies instead of allies
>>
>>49861237
Murderghost overflow
>>
>>49861237
See the many "tortured, fucked soul" Monster Manual entries
>>
>>49861204
How do I know you don't work for big candy?
>>
>my tiefling monk finishes Rise of the Dragon Queen
>she leaves the party to go and find her father, a human monk who made a deal with a succubus.
>she meets, him and is going to kill him.
>he says "I'm glad it's you"
>I say "You raised my sister, and ignored me. I've been traveling 20 years to find you, and that's all you have to say?"
>beat his ass to death, beat and beat and beat until his skull is dust.
>retire the character because meeting my irl dad came to nothing and the pain is too near.
>>
File: 1476265141763.webm (3MB, 966x682px) Image search: [Google]
1476265141763.webm
3MB, 966x682px
>>49860756
Ma man
>>
File: 2Spooky.webm (3MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2Spooky.webm
3MB, 1280x800px
>>49861296
>>
>>49861237
The Dark Powers of Ravenloft and Strahd wouldn't allow that to happen, but let's assume that somehow you genocided literally everyone in Barovia.

One possibility is that the souls turn into undead and immediately kill your ass dead.

A second possibility is that the Dark Powers simply create new bodies from nothing.

A third possibility, and most likely, is that they would be reincarnated in another realm like Falkovnia or Sithicus.
>>
>>49861288
christ, talk about self insert characters
>>
>>49861288
That totally goes against character, anon, the fuck? You're a monk, you're centered and one with yourself, you don't pay attention to pety shit like that. If I were the GM I wouldn't allow you to do that unless you stopped being a monk long ago.
>>
>>49861327
>no context beyond basics
>thinks he knows the character better than the player does
kek
you're making an ass of yourself
>>
>>49861327
A monk needs a powerful reason to retreat from the world. If a time arises when that moment confronts the monk, they might overcome it, or they might fall to it. My character fell to it and lost herself.
>>
>>49861350
>post online
>get mad when people judge you (you, not the character, because you admitted their actions were dictated by your irl experience) for acting retarded

lmfao
>>
>>49861350
You're a monk, anon, read the fucking description. That's like saying a paladin would lay with succubus or a cleric will shit over his god whenever he pleases. If you want to be an edgy darksteel type character roll another class.
>>
>>49861327
What was the last time you've seen a kung-fu movie? There's always this one stupidly strong student, who let his ambition/lust for power overwhelm him, abandoned his sensei and turned his kung fu into a weapon of evil.
>>
>>49861326
>>49861327
There's plenty of red flags to go on there
>>
File: darren.png (276KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
darren.png
276KB, 500x375px
>>49861364
>>49861376
>thinking I'm the guy who posted the story
kek
I'm just saying a lot of people pick classes for mechanical abilities that they change the flavour of, maybe the guy just wants to fight unarmed or unarmoured
chill out familia
>>
>>49861205
It depends on what you mean: Often, the creative things in these debates require preparation by the player being creative.

>A Keen Mind wizard memorizes a key hanging from the jailor's belt, then uses prestidigitation to produce a key just like it.

This is fine. the wizard is using two in game abilities to solve a minor challenge.

>A wizard creates a system of pulleys, gear work, and magical artifice, triggered by a mercury based thermometer reaching a certain temperature. They cast prestidigitation when the target is on the X, triggering the trap, and dealing 10d10 damage from falling ACME products.

This too is fine, even though the prestidigitation is ultimately dealing 10d10 damage: the wizard spent time preparing a trap, and triggered it.

it's impossible to create a hard or fast rule for the spell, like "you shouldn't be able to deal damage with it", because you can create scenarios where the spell breaks that rule in a fair way. The relevant question for the DM should be how creative was the player, and were they creative enough to reward them by letting them blow past this challenge. Or, put another way: would letting this use of prestidigitation work as intended by the player be fun?

And usually that answer is yes. There's a large contingent of neverDMs who want to punish creativity in this thread, and they'll react to an use of any feature with vitriol and "no". If they do actually DM, this is usually due to a desire to protect shitty railroad tracks from player disruption. I've DMed both ways, and letting your players be creative with class features and spells is way more fun for them and you.
>>
>>49861397
as an add to this >>49861326 was my post I just thought you fags were being silly
>>
>>49861150
>there's no actual incentive to go melee with them
This
>>
>>49861409
You shouldn't be able to deal damage with only the cantrip, prep is okay
>>
>>49861327
>not playing a monk so in-tune with their motivating desire, they don't let morality get in the way of fulfilling them.
>instead playing a dm so in-tune with his special snowflake plot he won't let things like player agency get in the way of fulfilling it without heavily punishing the player.

smug anime slut dot jaypeg
>>
>>49861435
>>49861150
Why would you need incentive to do what the class is meant to do?
>>
I am a girl. 30 years ago, after he had fathered me and left my mother, I learned my father had fathered a new child. A boy. He never even showed up to court to claim me, he pained child support me it wasn't much. I learned that the boy got everything, didn't know a about me and was an only child. I hate my father for abandoning me. I made a character because that was on my mind. I think it was a good character because I put myself in it and it came to something amazing, and my DM, who is so good, understood that and inserted my father into it. I felt good working that out. Fuck that man for walking away from me. Fuck that motherfucker for pretending I don't exist.
>>
>>49861477
If you could do equal or better damage as a GWM fighter while standing far out of range of enemies, you would
Melee is a dangerous area to be in, you need a reason to be there
>>
>>49861486
> 30 years ago I've learned
> Still a girl after all this time
Jesus Christ, r9k was wrong.
>>
>>49861486
Is this what a new may may looks like?
>>
>>49861523
no, its nothing. im sorry. its not meant for this thread. it's my life and i inserted it into my game and its nothing. im sorry
>>
>>49861540
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>49861554
yea, sorry, just feeling shitty
>>
>>49861486
At least your father is still alive
>>
>>49861565
I didn't ask
>>
>>49861444
But then there are situations where you should be able to deal damage with a cantrip, but which didn't involve prep time.

Like say the BBEG is standing, confronting the party in a rocky pass. The DM described the environment as full of loose rocks, so the rogue decides to surreptitiously use mage hand to see if he can shake some loose and cause a rock slide. the mage hand can only apply 10 pounds of force iirc, but this might be enough to start things off. if the rogue succeeds on his investigation check to scan for a correct rock, I don't mind giving him a powerful damage result on the BBEG, and neither should you.

The same can be said of prestidigitation, though it is harder to think of damage results for it.

>>49861486
good on you and good on your DM. I like stories, can you story time your monk in a more detailed fashion?
>>
>>49860902
Death monks are tanks and do crowd controll really well thanks to a cheap fear spell.

>Hm now that I stunned the big targets it's time to get rid of the mooks.
>Free Hp here I come!

>Have 60ft movement speed
>Catch up to targets you used fear on and herd them further into a situation where the party blaster can save resources

>Oh noes! I'm at 0Hp!
>Lol actually I'm not, oh and I just stood up for free (no action needed just spend 1 ki)
>>
>>49861582
sorry
>>
>>49861510
>quarter demon
>somehow not long lived
>>
>>49861603
literally stop
>>
>>49861635
>5e Tiefling
>Quarter demon
>Even 1/quintillion demon
Sorry, anon, read the damn manual
>>
>>49861635
>Age: Tieflings mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer
>>
>>49861639
dont stop ...
....believing
>>
File: 5641796_orig.jpg (300KB, 1100x618px) Image search: [Google]
5641796_orig.jpg
300KB, 1100x618px
>Check my FLGS
>They're getting the special cover of Volo's
>...possibly as early as the 4th
If I can get one, I'll bring shitty phone pics of the races. I swear by it.
>>
>>49861655
I remember Neeshka was a quarter demon.
>>
File: 1475536356556.jpg (13KB, 206x206px) Image search: [Google]
1475536356556.jpg
13KB, 206x206px
>>49861674
>>
>>49861681
yes pls
>>
>>49861477
Because it works better as Abjurer 2.0

I was actually hoping they'd make it a Bard or Monk archetype.
>>
File: Waiting for op.png (237KB, 400x319px) Image search: [Google]
Waiting for op.png
237KB, 400x319px
>>49861681
Yeah, we've all heard this song before.
>>
>Battlemaster
>Shoot an arrow at someone
>They're shoved 15 ft

>Small tree gets animated
>Shoot it
>Pushed 15 ft
>Dispell the animate effect
>You just moved a noble's prized tree without the effort of digging it out and replanting it

>Assassins attack you at night
>You lead them to the Inn's rooftop
>You use your movement action to perform a bowel movement, 30ft worth for your standard medium creature, then use your attack to throw 4 times, and an action surge to throw 4 more times
>They're shoved into the wall of the next building over and fall to their doom

>People still say Bards and Druids are the best class in 5e
>>
>>49861592
That's dealing damage with the environment rather than the cantrip though
I don't know, it's hard to articulate, I just know what I would or wouldn't allow
>>
>>49861726
Jesus, how much shit can one man have
>>
>>49861726
>Implying a rooted tree doesn't have immunity to being shoved
>Implying you can shit 8 attacks
>>
File: Hanzo.jpg (64KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
Hanzo.jpg
64KB, 700x393px
>>49861726
Not gonna lie, I won't actually be upset if my current character dies, just because I've read up on battlemasters and want to play picrelated.
>>
>>49861592
>good on you and good on your DM. I like stories, can you story time your monk in a more detailed fashion?
My monk was a tiefling, open hand monk. The PC's were walking outside Dagger Falls near the Sword Coast. The tank, a male human (based on captain america, with the Lord's Alliance), bumped me and said, "Watch out you ugly bitch". My character (A new character who joined the group via Craigslist) attacked her, and they held me down, and so I joined the party. This was when Hoard of the Dragon Queen was new content.

I said that I was hunting some priests of Tiamat, who knew my father, basically hoping to get down to the basics of who I was. The DM understood this well, and he wrote some amazing sequences into the following encounters, once I had joined.

Basically, my father was a human monk named Kane Tollos from the North who was highly skilled, yet feared losing his ability to old age. He made an agreement with a succubus, who said, "I will stop your aging in exchange for a child". He agreed, fathered a child, then the succusbus turned him to stone. It fulfilled his agreement by stopping his aging. The child was me.

Then she took me, raised me, and I had the same skills as my father. The character name was named Mara. I based her on myself. She wore torn rags and fought men, almost exclusively, like she had something to prove. So, she came in contact with the party and joined, all according to the DM's story. We went though Hoard and Rise of the Dragon Queen, and my character left to find her father, who had been turned from Stone to Flesh by another unrelated Adventuring party. It was a great encounter and my character overcame him, beat him to death, then beat his head into the ground. It was emotional to say the least.

I will never leave this group now, the DM is amazing. This was years ago btw, but still my fav d&d story. He is the most creative human I've ever met irl.
>>
>>49861826
>I based her on myself
Well, at least you're honest.
>>
>>49861756
30ft of it, apparently
>>
File: wow.png (187KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
187KB, 361x691px
>>49861826
>>
>>49861826
nice.
>>
>>49861826
>deceived by a demon and turned to stone
>FUCKING SHITLORD WHY DID YOU ABANDON ME REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

#justgirlythings
>>
>>49861916
I'd put money on it being false flagging nobody can be this stereotypical
>>
>>49861726
>perform a bowel movement

D-did 5e provide rules for this? Asking for a friend.
>>
>>49861932
it's a play on the word movement
>>
> Becoming a lich supposedly involves a really evil and horrific ritual
> In Curse of Strahd, you can literally ask a vestige to make you a lich, no strings attached
> You then craft a magic box, brew a potion and become a lich
> That's it
> At no point is anyone else sacrificed, dissected or even needed at all
I mean, I guess you could make the argument that becoming the lich at all is evil, since immortality is a crime against natural order of things, but I'm just not buying it. Also, vestige described literally on the same page turns you into a vampire - arguably a worse type of undead - but you have to do evil stuff to complete your transformation.
>>
File: back.png (308KB, 546x700px) Image search: [Google]
back.png
308KB, 546x700px
>>49861951
why are you still posting
>>
>>49861967
sorry
im like anyone, i felt like expressing myself
it was a good game, sorry
>>
>>49861951
Are you confessing to murdering your father IRL as well?

>>49861826
>The tank, a male human, bumped me and said, "Watch out you ugly bitch". My character attacked her, and they held me down, and so I joined the party.

Seems reasonable. You are a violent hobo, the tank changes gender and everyone decides you seem like a cool person to have around.

>raised by a demon and trained in martial arts, rather than by a guy who was too old to train you and never wanted kids in the first place

Not sure what your character's issue is, her life turned out sweet
>>
>>49861998
this >>49861951 is not about the game, it isn't /tg/ at all, you're fishing for attention, I can see why your dad left because you're very annoying
>>>/soc/
>>
>>49861951
my father is losing his mind, and slowly disappearing from the family.
>>
are bags of devouring hard to come across?

would an npc think less of you for trying to buy one?
>>
>>49862017
>Not sure what your character's issue is
Tieflings are naturally edgy.
>>
>>49861945
Then make it so they have to do evil shit. Remember, you don't actually have to follow the book like it's gospel. Remember Rule Zero :)
>>
>>49862051
It's a catch-22
Hate your fiendish bloodline? Edgy for not liking who you are
Enjoy your fiendish bloodline? Edgy for liking being a le evil demon
>>
File: Wanderer Background Feature.png (28KB, 954x119px) Image search: [Google]
Wanderer Background Feature.png
28KB, 954x119px
>>49862017
>Are you confessing to murdering your father IRL as well?
lol no hes still aliv

>>49862028
sorry, im not, i do like this game, that's all

>>49862039
my grandad is the same, sorry

>>49862039
she's a wanderer with no one? ok...
>>
>>49862079
Why can't a tiefling just be indifferent to being a de-man?
>>
>>49862089
Not every D&D thing needs to be in here. If you want to talk about this speific game, and get others talking about games that involved their IRL baggage, feel free to make a separate thread. I'm sure people will read it
>>
>>49862097
Indifference and apathy is also inherently edgy according to /tg/
It's edgy teen behaviour to "not care" about shit
>>
>>49862089
jeezus christ, if you're this thirsty, grab a sprite or go rub one out, but pls stop posting. there's really no need to be whoring yourself out like this
>>
File: Tiefling_Sam-Wood_FRCS3e.jpg (43KB, 400x506px) Image search: [Google]
Tiefling_Sam-Wood_FRCS3e.jpg
43KB, 400x506px
>>49862097
They have a lawful, uhh, "pulling" in their heart, do to their devilish blood. Then they have a more neutral "human" pulling from the other parent. So mind became a Lawful Neutral character. She was basically like Vegeta, with crossed arms, only concerned with pride and proving her ability.

This is the image I used for my character.
>>
Is the champion fighter being bad a meme?
>>
File: Uncle Tom.jpg (74KB, 336x455px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Tom.jpg
74KB, 336x455px
>>49862079
> View my fiendish heritage as a disability that prevents me from being a normal member of society
> Kinda like being born black after the Reconstruction.
> Become an adventurer and work really hard to build an image of a flawless, noble and selfless hero
> Get famous
> People start refering to me as "one of the good ones"
> mfw
>>
>>49862112
Then how about a tiefling paladin who wants to prove that demons can be good, too, with the ulterior motive of finding a virgin succubus paladin to court?
>>
>>49862136
>adding "uhh" to your post
for what purpose
>>
>>49862146
not bad, but fucking boring
>>
>>49862136
Please consider what I wrote here >>49862105
Or don't, your call

But - and this is very important - STOP posting about it in this thread
>>
>>49862146
It's not bad, it's actually pretty good, just fucking boring, unless you don't get tired of saying "I make an attack action" every round.
>>
>>49862154
>prove that demons can be good, too
apparently this makes you a BLM protester according to /tg/ so that's bad as well sorry pal
>>
>>49862146
Fighter is good. Paths make it better. Champion is just good.
To put it in simpler terms, Champion does basically nothing worthwhile but you can't fuck up fighter.
>>
File: read the book nyan.jpg (733KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
read the book nyan.jpg
733KB, 1920x1080px
How many people have you gotten into the hobby through 5e, anons?
>>
>>49862146
>only thing it can do is extra damage
>still less damage than other subclasses
Nah, not really.
There isn't any reason to use one
>>
>>49862146
It's not bad, but you can look forward to such thrilling fights as "well dm, I stand in place and hit it 4 times with my sword again, and that's my turn", and doing barely anything outside of combat. More than any other class besides berserker barbarian, champion fighter got shafted by the grognards who wanted fisher price combat.
>>
>>49862171
>it's actually pretty good
On the long run it deals more damage than anyone, but 5e combats don't rely in "on the long run", novaing is boss and that's why battlemaster is better.
>>
>>49862189
None. I haven't made a new friend since before Tome of Battle and all my existing friends already play
>>
>>49862189
1 person
>>
>>49862189
Two, I guess? I've asked them if they want to play in a fun campaign, and they said "Why not". One of them only had experience with WoD, while the other with play by post RPGs.

There was also this guy, who posted here and asked advice about how to get into RPGs. I've shilled 5e so hard, I actually managed to get his discord and teach him to play there in about an hour.
>>
>>49862159
It's just how I post, I suppose.

>>49862166
>Please consider what I wrote here
I dunno, I like 5e, I play in a 5e game and more importantly, I play a monk (which gets shit on here). I posted only to be part of the thread, I didn't know it would be a big deal itt. I have daddy issues. I overcame them in life. My character has some daddy issues, she overcame them, I'm truly sorry if I ruined the thread. I scroll down through /tg/ often and I never see 5e threads except for the 5e general.
>>
>>49862178
How about you are a tiefling who enjoys being part of both races in a non-/pol/-offending way, doesn't go on adventures, is not a PC, and is not fleshed out so as to prevent people from saying this character is shit. AND, in place of the tiefling, you play something that doesn't scream "CRAWLING IN MY SKIN" when it walks into a room? Would that fix tieflings?
>>
>swapping stories about DnD 5e games is now off topic posting
>creative uses of anything is now over powered

What happened to you /5eg/?
>>
File: qpzCf.jpg (122KB, 325x427px) Image search: [Google]
qpzCf.jpg
122KB, 325x427px
WHERE'S MY FUCKING BINDERS /tg/?
>>
>>49862244
I knew they were the same person, this just confirms it

Shitposting has been boiled down to a science here
>>
>>49862244
>Man blogs about his estranged relation with father
>creative 5e story
Nah, man.
>>
>>49862244
Nobody who doesn't understand basic rules of the game is welcome at my table.
> Bbbbbut muh logic
No. Prestidigitation can never deal damage. Ever. It's a spell that literally only exists to do small flavour things. You want to set off a trap - you use mage hand. Anyone too dumb to understand that is too dumb to play DnD.
>>
>>49860868

>very wary about allowing

lol r u srs m8

>>49861068

They're totally fine. I'll never understand the immense butt frustration they cause.

>>49861150
>>49861435

It's what you do when you're not casting spell slots. Maybe you're preserving your spell slots for a big fight or you're just taking out little guys, or you're in some kind of anti-magic zone. It gives you okay melee-ability for those times where attacking might be better than casting spells, but it makes it so you don't get as many benefits to your spells. It always seemed perfectly balanced to me.
>>
>>49862259
Warlock class, invocations are just refluffed as bound spirits.
>>
My character, as a tiefling, her happy moment was entering Silverymoon. Lots of drinking and singing and fun, something she had never seen before, as a monk. She treasured those moments and went back "home" to Silverymoon after everything was over.

Being a sad person who lives only to get stronger, then seeing a lovely, vibrant city of Silverymoon with magic bridges and inn's built into giant trees, she was amazed by it.
>>
>>49862270
>doesn't quote both so he can't be btfo by a phone screenshot.
>>
>>49862282
Yet I never encountered this "when you're not casting spell slots" situation and I reached 9th level with that char in Elemental Evil, I retired it because I realized I could have went with other subclasses instead of this totally not Magus that doesn't behave like Magus because is not worthy to go melee.
>>
Are there any other classes outside PHB, or just variant class feature sets?
>>
File: mara.jpg (52KB, 762x574px) Image search: [Google]
mara.jpg
52KB, 762x574px
>one day love will find you
>break those chains that bind you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatorN4P9aA

Hearing bards sing this music, to my bard, was like hearing the voice of god. She had worshiped Auppenser in a very vague way, but she left that after traveling north to Silverymoon. Lots of good in life, it's a shame to dwell on the bad shit.
>>
>>49862279
I've noticed a massive community-wide drop in meta-game knowledge recently, and it isn't solely on /tg/.

It isn't just ridiculous use of spells either, they're barely knowledgable of concepts like action economy.
>>
>>49862401
just some stuff on dms guild
>>
>>49862401
No. Well, there's mystic from Unearthed Arcana, but it's 3 or 5 levels long, I don't remember. The rest are subclasses.
>>
>>49862431
10 levels actually
>>
>>49862279
point in the rulebook where it says prestidigitation effects can never ever deal damage.
>>
>>49862378

I've had plenty of situations where I'd rather save my spell slots for the big badguys who are coming, rather then blowing them on piss ass baby minions. Everyone's campaign is different.

it gives you a different flavor too.

>>49862431

It's 10 levels long as of the latest edition, and the full 20 playtest should be out in 2 weeks.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (196KB, 724x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
196KB, 724x768px
she's so cool
>>
File: 1474029689494.gif (4MB, 281x143px) Image search: [Google]
1474029689494.gif
4MB, 281x143px
>>49862507
>>
>>49862462
In those situations I use ranged cantrips
>>
>>49862189
Atlound 12 to 14, around half still play, either with me, or at other universities.
It's pretty easy to get people involved if you're a DM without crippling autism.
A lot of "normies" are curious about D&D.
>>
I'm going to run this bad boi saturday night.
I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys for advice or ideas, at a glance.

> What I'm running:
- My players will be 4xLV2 characters with two beginners and one "veteran".
- I'm thinking giants will be refluffed Half-Ogres (adding some hit points, gear and molten-spitting ability as appropriate) since giants are pretty "out there" in term of CI
- I'll add a puzzle for the door @21. I'll probably give them a domino puzzle. My players love dem puzzles.
- Dire Pelicans are probably going to be some kind of refluffed Giant Frog with better stats and fitting attacks pattern.
- I'm thinking about throwing a black pudding instead of the trap @10-to-11. Not sure yet.

> What I struggle with:
- I'm a bit scared of the Changeling Cone. I'll probably just tune it down to last only for a few minutes instead of freaking days.
- What the fuck am I supposed to do if they reach the altar early and decide to destroy it? Undines would be pleased but that's pretty anticlimactic.
- In the same vein,
- I won't grant them wishes. This dungeon will be part of my campaign and I don't really want them to absolutely butcher it (even if it's not a very serious scenario). Any advice for a substitute, gradual reward (since there's supposed to be a "feels bad moment"/guilt trip if they ask more wishes than the lake spirit can handle).

Thanks for any feedback / tips!
>>
I was bored so I revised the sorcerer. Cliffnotes version:
-spell slots are out, spell points from the DMG are in, and can be spent as sorcery points
-your origin features get more powerful if you have less than half your sorcery points remaining

Full version attached. I would love some feedback on it.
>>
>>49862189
6? I think
>>
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2016/07/dvati.html

Thoughts?

Kinda want to play one
>>
How do you DMs do dungeons?
Build it from scrap? Repurpose and modify pre-existing dungeons from modules?
>>
>>49862929
how to encourage the Sorcerer to spam fireball.pdf
>>
Any homebrew or classes that can affix runes to their weapons to do small magical damage?
>>
I'm trying to come up a name for acreature, the top half is a minotaur and the lower half is a centaur.
>>
>>49863110

Blood Hunter, if you want to fluff blood as runes.
>>
>>49863106
>wizards have a billion spells known but can cast like 12 a day
>sorcerers have like 12 spells known but can cast them a billion times a day
That was exactly my aim. Though it seems I did overlook one part of the spell point system according to the dmg; you can only create a few spell slots of level 6 or higher per day. The DMG specifies 1 slot per level, I'm probably gonna go with 2.
>>
>>49863134
I can probably make that work then. The blood idea actually sounds cool though. Was a big fan of blood mages in Dragon Age. Thanks
>>
>>49863133
Jut take the first half o one name and the second half of the other - so either minotaur or centaur

wait
>>
>>49863133
Bovitaur?
>>
Minovine
>>
>>49863002
Too fiddley looking, but it if you're willing to put up with it...

There's a whole load of things there that can be abused, however, from condition resistance to being able to use one twin to revive the other and whatever.

The way it works with high HP modifiers (Say, tough + 20 con) is also kind of broken.

Then, what if they're durids and they shapeshift into fucking bears?

Not much better than much homebrew in terms of balance, but at least it's interesting.
>>
>>49863133
Equinotaur
>>
>>49862189
5 actual friends but over a dozen strangers. It's a great medium for first timers
>>
File: foxhill.jpg (818KB, 2564x1960px) Image search: [Google]
foxhill.jpg
818KB, 2564x1960px
Does someone happen to have the better Wild Magic table? One of my players wants to go for a wild mage but I don't want to make it painful on everyone.

It's for a silly game so I don't mind, but I've heard that the homebrewed really is better on every aspect, fun included.
>>
>>49863412
I wish I was talented enough to do maps like your pic

anywho, I'd also suggest allowing Sorc points to be regen'ed on a short rest. Sorcerer just sucks, one of my players did WMS too and was pretty miserable until I gave him a free list of thematic spells ala cleric/pally's and let him get his sorc points back on a short rest.

He's happy now, and is actually comparable to the party's cleric and bard. I'd also be interested in the WM table you speak of, I don't have it
>>
>A streak of bad rolls make my character be kidnapped, used as bait and be useless in the encounter which leads to the death of 2 members of my team
>Now, feeling powerless and a failure my char performs below his abilities out of sheer fear of failure
>Group gets mad at me for not using my char properly
>>
There's some interesting design space with the warlock's invocations and arcane trickster rogue. Both classes feature neat ways to alter cantrips.

What are some other ways a class could alter cantrips? Like a wizard could have an enhanced prestidigitation, a bard could have a cooler friends spell. Or, because the warlock seriously needs more invocations and pact options, you could add these all as options for that class.

But what are some interesting ways we could make specific cantrips better?
>>
>>49863493
madmad or mad mad?
>>
>>49863133
Taurtaur
>>
>>49863456
should specify, only allow Sorc points back on short rest once per long rest

otherwise it gets a bit ridiculous
>>
>>49863559
Just angry
>>
>>49863110
you could try this one
>>
>Enter new group
>GM: "Because you're new, and I don't trust you yet, I made your char"
>V. Human Monk...with weapon master feat and the +1 went to Str
>Wut? well, lets not overreact maybe he lets me use Martial Arts with these weapons
>He doesn't
>GM: "Not every character should be optimized, anon"
>Rest of PCs are optimized
I 1080º noscope moonwalked away fast
>>
>>49863110

>>49863669 is me
pretty aware it's OP/overstacked with features, but I'm DMing with a player who's running it in CoS right now and so far it's been fun
>>
>>49863694
>I don't trust you so I made your character

shoulda 360'ed out of there right then
>>
>>49863694
Good on you, sounds like a toxic control freak type DM.
>>
File: chimera.jpg (158KB, 1200x905px) Image search: [Google]
chimera.jpg
158KB, 1200x905px
So I want to spice up a chimera encounter.
Was thinking of counting the goat + snake (snake tail for that DD feel) as mounted combatants and the lion as the mount, each one acting on their own initiative; lion dictating where they move.

Lion is mostly unchanged, multi-attack bite+claws, Pounce with DC 15.
Goat gets some spells, most notably Counterspell and Dispel Magic.
Snake gets poison breath instead of the dragon's fire breath, reach 10ft for its bite attack.

Thoughts? Not too fussed about staying in CR limits.
>>
>>49863761
Have you been playing Dragon's Dogma lately by any chance?

Either way, it sounds good. As long as you think your PCs can handle it.
>>
>>49863761
Damn bruh better buff that xp
>>
>>49863761
I did the same thing with an ettin two weeks ago. The two heads could actually act independently. Split up the movement too, but made it so if they wanted to, they could use all of their movement in one turn.

The right half was a regular ettin: super strong, dumb, violent. The left half was weaker, but could cast spells. Only gave it a few though. Firebolt (which it never got to use) as a cantrip. Shield and Color Spray as 1st level spells, and invisibility for a 2nd level spell. Made it slightly funny be having invisibility only turn the magic ettin invisible. The other had to roll a DC 12 Int ST or be confused for a turn. He made it by 2 (even a -2 Int score wasn't good enough).

I'm throwing a chimera at my group, but just reskinned it. Bear, white dragon, bighorn ram. Also putting in environmental effects.
>>
>>49863782
>Have you been playing Dragon's Dogma lately by any chance?
>snake tail for that DD feel
Why yes.
>>
So a few days ago there was a thread on how a bunch of medieval texts had pictures of knights fighting snails, and while the end conclusion was that it was medieval shitposter monk's equivalent of pepe I still want to see players fight a snail as a serious foe. So going from the pictures I want to stat out 4 different snail encounters.
>Rabbit mounted on a snail (with old man head)
>Rabbit using snail on its wrist like human uses a falcon
>Giant snail (with dragon head)
>Completely ordinary snail that threatens to destroy a monk's garden
What level party should they be balanced around? Any extraordinary skills they should have?
>>
>>49863894
flail snail
>>
How do I get my players to do things.

I give them plot threads and little missions and dangle gold and prizes and everything but instead we spend two hours of them rping being drunk in the local tavern. I told them we could go out drinking instead but they all insist they're having a great time.
>>
>>49863944
simple. Steal something from the player's characters.

Players will move mountains to get back something they perceive as theirs. recognize that players are retarded, and you will go far.
>>
>>49863894
>Giant snail (with dragon head)

I like this one

>party comes across a village in a state of complete destruction, covered in some sort of slime
>the haggard peasants beg the heroes to slay the terrible dragon that terrorizes the town
>adventurers travel to the beast's liar, fighting oozes on the way
>come across a giant Dragon....snail
>a Dragon Snail with a nigh impenetrable shell, it secretes oozes that join the fight and can breathe a terrible blast of mucus that slows/restrains the party
>secret weakness is salt damage

>>49863944
if they are having fun then they are having fun?

if you want them to do stuff say "hey I want you to do stuff". Or have the BBEG burn down the town and tavern
>>
>>49863944
>my players all insist they're having a great time
>how do I fix this
>>
Guys, my PC is a LG cleric of the Sun god, life domain, so im basically a healer.
Would it be wrong roleplay to use the necromancy cleric spells to do more damage in combat? How should i pull it off?
>>
>>49864006
"I'm a life cleric, it makes perfect sense to bring these skeletons to life"
>>
>>49864006
>the power of the sun gives life and takes it away.
Replace necrotic damage with fire or light damage for theme and youve got yourself a character.
>>
>>49863988
>>49863978

Not to sound like an asshole, but I'm not having fun. Like, i'd be ok if it was one or two sessions but this has been going on for two months now.

I've asked them to do things but they just always say "next session". I don't get it they don't need me to DM sitting in a bar they could do that on their own time
>>
>>49863894
actually some historians think it may be because monks were herbalists and kept extensive gardens and thus were constantly battling snails. so they drew themselves (or maybe just other people) as knights fighting off the threat of Snails.
>>
>>49864006
Doesn't cleric have plenty of damage spells that aren't necrotic?
>>
>>49864006
Do you need to use necromancy spells?

You have shit like Guiding Bolt. You don't need necromancy spells. You also don't need to deal damage.
>>
>>49864039
You don't sound like an asshole. You sound like a DM dealing with inconsiderate players.

Your fun matters. In fact, going by the market, your fun matters more, because players are a diamond dozin', and DMs are rare. Explain to your players calmly and rationally that if they don't want to do something interesting, then they can find a new DM, because it isn't interesting to you. They either improve themselves, or you find a new group.
>>
>>49864039
Huh. That's longer than I would've expected. I would've expected them to get bored eventually.

I'm not sure if it's an assholish move, but have them wake up after their seven drunken nights somewhere without any money, with a headache, and no idea how they got there.
>>
>>49864092
Go write a book, station master
>>
>>49864071
It's fun to have at least some spells that aren't guiding bolt.

I had a war cleric that used Guiding Bolt a lot, but shit like Inflict Wounds was fucking awesome. Too bad I didn't get past 5th level. Not because I died, but because our group broke up.

Still though, life cleric with necromancy spells seems...odd...
>>
>>49864188
>but shit like Inflict Wounds was fucking awesome

Why was it awesome?

it does 6 possible more damage than guiding bolt and requires touch, and doesn't give advantage.

it's also a pretty not "good" spell as in it's a necromancy and something you'd find on a cultist, not a life cleric.
>>
>>49864231
From an RP-standpoint, I really enjoyed the idea of empowering my greatsword with necrotic damage, and then cutting into people and watching the damage spread through their body.

It wasn't great mechanically, but how I wanted to play the character it fit.
>>
>>49864157
I don't understand your reference.

But don't think that I mean the players don't matter either. This is collaborative storytelling, and the players should have fun to. But the hobby is not sustainable if players don't recognize that keeping things fun for the Dm is just as important as the dm keeping things fun for them.
>>
>>49864297
Right, that's a cool way to play a NON LG Life Cleric of a Sun God.
>>
>>49864092

I made the fatal mistake of playing with nothing but close personal friends
>>
>>49864320
That's not a mistake. Explain to your friends how you feel, how playing referee to their slice of life campaign is boring to you.

That or steal their shit. A thieves guild member steals something from them, and sells it to a noble client who is extremely well protected. That noble is conspiring to do whatever your plot is. I guarantee you the retards you're playing with will take the bait.
>>
>>49864312
Exactly, but my point wasn't "Yeah, let the Life Cleric use necromancy," it was more "the cleric wanted some more options in combat other than just Guiding Bolt and healing." Letting them have some different attack spells breaks the monotony of just being the group healer.
>>
>>49862849
Anyone?
>>
>>49864370
Then why did you take the fucking GROUP HEALER domain, you clown

a bunch of domains give other sorts of damage spells and ways to deal damage, like tempest or light

Cleric, especially LIFE cleric, isn't really meant for damage and attacks/combat. If you wanted that with religious flavor you should have went paladin, or at least war/tempest domain
>>
>>49864370
>>49864510
Spells like Spiritual Weapon or Spirit Guardians are still decent even if you're a life cleric.
>>
>>49860859
>1 metal shield
>+ oil
>+ meat and veggies
>+ heat metal spell
>= arcane powered wok
>>
>>49864510
I didn't take the group healer? I took the War Cleric.

I wasn't suggesting that be the main focus of the player, but having alternative attacks could make it MORE FUN for that player to play.

>>49864538
Yeah, those are fine. Hell, if the PC wanted and the DM was OK with it, repurposing necromancy spells to do radiant damage could mitigate the player's problem with not doing enough damage or having enough damage-dealing abilities at their disposal.
>>
File: 68823.jpg (17KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
68823.jpg
17KB, 256x384px
>>49864559
>>
File: 5 star post.jpg (8KB, 159x200px) Image search: [Google]
5 star post.jpg
8KB, 159x200px
>>49864615
>>
>>49862136
>She was basically like Vegeta

I'm starting to see why your father left.
>>
Best way to beat Strahd is to concentrate all the magic items on a single paladin, either devotion pr vengeance, and then just sit back
>>
>>49863133
Hippotaur
>>
If I'm playing Paldian where do i find a list of Gods that I can choose from?
>>
>>49865026

Did you try the back of the God damn hand book?
>>
>>49865026
read nigger read
>>
>>49865026
Ask your DM about the setting. He'll tell you how you do religion. there are a whole bunch of gods for the default setting in the appendix of the player's hand book.
>>
>>49865026
readniggaread.png

Player's Handbook
>>
>>49860734
I've played, and have had a player play, the Rogues archetype Swashbuckler. It was great in both cases, but I felt that it didn't really change the identity of Rogue very much--even though, again, it was great fun.

I have also played an arcana cleric gish from 1-13; it was great fun, although I would have killed for Mobile.

I was also going to run a Sun Soul Monk...but then inspiration struck, and I made another fucking Rogue; the Inquisitive rogue (I really hope they come up with a better name, because fuck that's annoying to say).
>>
>>49860923
November was the rumored release for the full playtest version. Looking forward to it, because my DM won't argue about using UA stuff, but hates homebrew.

Does that make me a bad player?
>>
>>49865044
>>49865046
>>49865049
I'm trying to find this for a friend I'm rolling a fighter so I did all the reading I need.
>>
File: 1473710218001.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1473710218001.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
>>49865026

>>49865046
>>
>>49865067
tell your dumbass friend to read
>>
>>49865067
Paladins don't need to worship.
>>
>>49865048
Found it thanks anon telling my nigga friend now to read.
>>
File: folder.png (37KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
folder.png
37KB, 200x200px
>>49865067
Yea man

A "friend"

Totally
>>
>>49862259
I think Middle Finger of Vecna or Sterling Vermin wrote a full Binder class that was alright.
>>
>>49863045
Both. Depends on what I need at the moment.

My biggest thing, though, is that I am shit at drawing and making maps, so I steal liberally from other modules for the maps.
>>
I've created a 100% reliable method to tell if your DM is good.

Ask them what happens if someone casts magic stone, puts the 3 stones in a jar, and then uses the spell catapult to to fling the jar at an enemy.

if the DM responds that you simply deal 3d8 damage+1d8 per spell level beyond the first on a failed dex save by the target, he's a bad DM and you need to find a new one.

If the DM responds that the magic stones deal their damage in addition to the catapult damage, you've found yourself a good DM.

This is inarguable.
>>
Could someone post that elemental monk rework please?
>>
>>49865057
n-no? one of my players is playing one rn (she's only level 4). I think he meant that the third one will be a last draft and then unless there's a big outcry they'll finalize it and release it somewhere, presumably in the expanded handbook supposedly coming out early next year.

why would this make you a bad player? psionic is pretty balanced even now, the only problem is that immortal has no extra attack but has the best single target martial damage by a mile (at will +1 magic weapon for free, adding up to like 5d10 on a hit) and gets it pretty damn early.
>>
>>49861288
>tiefling monk
>surviving past 1st level
HA
>>
>>49865199
A 1st level spell shouldn't deal 3d8+3d6+3(spell mod) damage
>>
Is the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide worthwhile? I ignored it upon release because I thought it was just a setting book, but apparently there are character options and other stuff too.
>>
How good is War domain cleric? I'm gonna make a Dwarf and was debating that or the classic battle master fighter.
>>
>>49865286
There's a bunch of new subraces, like tiefling variants, halflings with telepathy and duergar, new barbarian class that uses spiked armor, an assassin-monk and a ki-blaster-monk, new totems for the totem barbarian, a new fighter class that gets close to the 4e Warlord, a Swordmage style wizard, and a necromantic warlock pact option, off the top of my head.
>>
>>49865296

It's not bad, so long as you remember that it's a Cleric first and foremost. Don't pretend to be a faux-Fighter.
>>
File: this shit again.jpg (53KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
this shit again.jpg
53KB, 604x604px
>>49865199
This is getting low effort at this point
>>
>>49865286

it's not worth the tag for just the character options, but that's correct, there are a bunch.

3 cantrips, a new warlock patron, paladin oath and a new wizard rogue cleric sorceror and fighter archetype

Also, a new Halfling race.

Nothing for bards though, for which I play my violin
>>
>>49865267
Of course not, but this is a first level spell and a cantrip. Unless you have some class feature allowing you to do so, you have to take these actions over 2 turns (since you can't cast a 1st level spell in the same turn as a bonus action spell like magic stone). Over 2 turns, you can simply cast two damaging cantrips and deal higher damage at later levels, or two catapults at earlier levels. What this amounts to is a small way to conserve spell slots while still dealing comparable damage. if you're against this, you're a shitty DM.
>>
>>49865378
>(since you can't cast a 1st level spell in the same turn as a bonus action spell like magic stone)
You're allowed to cast cantrips (like magic stone) in the same turn as a spell though.
>>
>>49865378

I agree, however, this little combo is also circumventing three attack rolls, and that's a fairly big jump in power if it does hit. I think it'd be fine to include all three attack rolls at once if the Catapult succeeds.
>>
>>49865378
You can cast a bonus action cantrip in the same turn as a spell of 1st level or higher with casting time of action
>>
>>49862577

That's your problem. You're a blade singer, your melee damage is most likely as competitive, if not stronger than your ranged cantrips. Especially once you get +Int to damage. Not to mention it's much better to make two attacks than to make just one.
>>
>>49865432
> A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't already taken a bonus action this turn You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.

> You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
>>
>>49865455
>>49865453
No. The rule for casting time is if you cast a spell with a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

Specifically:

>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven't alread taken a bonus actoin this turn. You can't cast another spell during the same turn except for a cantrip with a casting time of one action.

Read the damn book please.
>>
>>49863669
Sorry for the late reply. Just checked back here. Really love this and it's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
>>
>>49865529
>>49865537
You're playing with a terrible DM if he doesn't allow you to do that.
>>
>>49865537

Why did you quote me? I wasn't talking about casting time, but about the power level of using this two-turn combo.
>>
>>49865453
Oops, my bad, meant my post here >>49865537
for >>49865432 and >>49865455

The only reason I disagree with an attack roll is that it doesn't make sense in the context of a catapulted projectile hitting the enemy, and makes the turn very complicated.
>>
>The warlocks fiend patron creates pacts for their minions and uses them to slay the cults and warlocks of other fiends.

Does this make sense? Would only a certain type of fiend do this?
>>
>>49865560
Their armor could still protect them from the pebbles even if they took damage from the catapulted object.
>>
>>49865537
What about casting the magic stone before the combat
>>
>>49865199
Funny enough, your shitpost just created a 100% reliable method to tell if a player is good

>>49865296
a really solid fun character could be both.

battlemaster + war cleric would be a lot of fun. Take Great Weapon Master and enjoy your precision die/ +10 to hit
>>
>>49865199
Magic stone explicitly requires being thrown or shot from a sling. Too bad, guy. Now the magic stones are at the feet of whatever you hit with your catapulted jar.
>>
>>49865578
That sounds perfectly reasonable for a fiend.
>>
>>49865603
Sure, preparing for combat can pay dividends. They'd have to cast magic stone within a minute of combat, or be constantly casting it.

>>49865581
That makes sense. I'd limit it to one attack roll.
>>
>>49865603
please don't be that guy who tries the "BEFORE COMBAT STARTS I CAST X" shit

every fucking combat our wizard would try to cast mage armor or something before his turn because "B-BUT COMBAT HASN'T STARTED YET" despite combat obviously starting

>>49865578
as per the MM Devils are extremely cut throat, even (especially) with other Devils.

It's all about getting ahead and raking in dem souls mang
>>
>>49865628
>magic suddenly stops working if the player decides to hit the stone like a baseball with his sword.

BAAAAAAAAAAAAD.
>>
Im an idiot and have a dnd game on the 30th but dont have a book to create my character. is there one in the mega? if not can some one drop me one?
>>
>>49865660
everything you need is in the mega.
>>
>>49865660

Everything you need is in the Mega. Good luck.
>>
>>49865642
Its a cantrip so why not always cast. You are giving a wizard 3d8+3d6+3(spell mod) for a 1st level slot

So avg dmg of 40 with int mod of +5
>>49865652
Its a cantrip, just keep casting
>>
>>49865676
Because people might look funny at the guy constantly waving his hands and chanting magic words, while juggling stones.

Same way they might look funny at the rogue who is constantly backflipping and looking over his shoulder.
>>
>>49865657
I'd actually be okay with this because it doesn't triple the damage and then add some more from catapult. Just a reflavoring really.
>>
>>49865699
And?
>>
>>49865706
You're not tripling the damage of catapult, you're adding a cantrip to it, at the cost of spending two turns doing it.

>>49865715
If you're willing to accept the social penalties for your whole party that comes with having a weirdo speaking arcane tongues, and your group is okay with that too, then sure, you get a first turn damage bonus.
>>
File: brain-problems.png (42KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
brain-problems.png
42KB, 500x354px
>>49865668
>>49865670
Found it
>>
>>49865729
Nah fuck off it's a retarded idea
>>
>>49865729
Tripling the damage of one thrown magic stone. How was that not incredibly obvious.
>>
>>49865744
Now create a character and post it here, so we can laugh at you.
>>
>>49865755
oh boy, are you saying you're tripling the damage of a cantrip that is outstripped on a per round basis by every other cantrip in the game, at all points in the game?

Perish the thought.

Sorry, I thought you were addressing a relevant criticism. Even tripled, catapult is on par with every other cantrip at level 11.
>>
>>49865790
It's hardly being outstripped anymore on levels below 5 if you triple its damage.
>>
Can I Divine Smite with a Warlock spell slot?

phb says "paladin spell slot".

I just want 2 level 2 smites per short rest, is that too much to ask
>>
>>49865913

You can. I believe that the PHB errata is in the Mega, you should look at it.
>>
>>49865913
yes you can.
>>
>>49865882
And level 5 and lower are proportionally the most deadly levels of the game. Giving a slight buff as a result of combining features in those levels isn't bad.
>>
>>49865913
Your PhB is old and busted. Get the new errata'ed version.

But yes, you can.
>>
>>49865928
>>49865935
>>49865945
Hey nobody called me dumb. Thanks 5eg

just how cheesy would a paladin tomelock with shillelegh and GFB be
>>
>>49865970
Shillelegh is a cheesy spell. But other than that, lockadins are the coolest multiclass.
>>
File: firefox_2016-10-19_22-49-43.png (26KB, 428x297px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-10-19_22-49-43.png
26KB, 428x297px
Dumb question but what UA has the tiefling revenant?
>>
>>49865970
I hope you're happy, completely invalidating the bladelock.
>>
Is there any reason that a Cleric/Warlock couldn't have their Deity and Patron be the same entity supposing that they meet both categories?
>>
>>49865970
It's a good combo, but it's not really cheesy. You need to be at least level 5 to pull it off. At the point, pure paladin already get extra attack. And with 2 Warlock level, you are better off just spamming Eldritch Blast forever.
>>
>>49865970
we only call you dumb when you ask questions that are easily sourced from the PHB.

or if you answer a question incorrectly

or you have a trip

or if we are feeling particularly cantankerous you stupid jerk
>>
>>49865989
Tiefling subrace* not revenant sorry
>>
>>49865992
the bladelock is already invalidated by design.
>>
>>49866007
that's fine.
>>
>>49865989
Gothic Heroes is the UA you want, it's the April 2016 edition of the article.
>>
>>49865989
Sorry, but it is kind of a dumb question. The UA That Old Black Magic had tiefling variants. To make a tiefling revenant, replace traits from one of those variamts with revenant traits.
>>
>>49864948

Jesus Christ anon, holy shit
>>
>>49865979
>>49866008
Yea I've decided against it.

This campaign starts at level 3. What would you guys suggest I do for leveling?

starting pally is obvious. 2 paladin 1 warlock is what I'm thinking, but I dunno what to do past that.

Delaying ASI and extra attack / archetype features really sucks, and honestly I've never been in a campaign that went past level 8 so I don't wanna spend most of my time floundering about when everyone else has extra attack and an ASI

>>49866007
Not as far as I know. That's what I wanna do with my pally lock, though i know pally doesn't need a deity
>>
>DM gives my Barbarian a ring that changes his Rage into the Riastrad

Fucking metal
>>
>>49866064
Just my luck, to have a typo while calling someone's question dumb. Good luck braj.
>>
>>49866076
Decide on how much you want spell slots. I personally think that 3 paladin, 17 warlock is the strongest combination, because higher level casting is incredibly important in this edition, but the warlock's level 20 feature ain't that good.

So maybe start paladin to 1, get warlock to 4, then paladin to 3, and the rest to warlocks.
>>
>>49866076
Go Warlock 3. Just endure it and spam Eldritch Blast with a side of Divine Smite. EB damage is comparable to Extra Attack.

If your campaign won't go into higher level, then it probably be better to just continue with Warlock level for ASI and more renewable spell slot.

If you think you will reach level 10, go with Paladin 6 / Warlock 4 or something.
>>
Warlock 2 / Sorcerer the rest.

Is it fun? What's the best bloodline? I like the flavor of Wild Magic but it seem to be DM dependent.
>>
>>49866126
>>49866150
Can I multiclass out of paladin if I don't meet pally's mc requirements?

I want to go Dex, character isn't strong, but paladin requires 13 str to MC into, is that not a concern when you're multiclassing into something else

>>49866187
warlock + any CHA class is solid. Sorcerer kinda sucks though
>>
>>49866187
A friend of mine is running it. You get some incredible burst damage, but sacrifice spell progression.
>>
>>49866202
>Can I multiclass out of paladin if I don't meet pally's mc requirements?
No
>>
Do level requirements of Eldrich Invocations count for all levels, or only levels of warlock?

Im gonna make a bladelock with a lvl 1 dip into fighter. Thirsting blade requires 5th level, and I was wondering if I could swap it out for another invocation at Fighter 1 Walock 4, or if I would have to wait another level for Figher 1 Warlock 5.
>>
So everyone i hear talking about Paladin multiclassing always says sorcerer or warlock.

What about Bard multiclass? Thinking Pally 5-6 and the rest Lore Bard.

Will this just suck?
>>
>>49866216
Warlock levels only
>>
>>49866218
There isn't the same kind of synergy. It has lesser combat benefits and better spellcasting elsewhere.
>>
>>49866218
nah it'll be great, both bard and paladin are great classes.

I'm the warlock pally guy itt and I actually kinda wanna MC bard for more out of combat utility/versatility. Ritual spells, more spells slots, more spells known, inspiration, expertise etc

The only problem would be you're delaying ASIs and extra attack, both of which are huge. You'd be a more utility/support/versatile character but would suffer for it in combat.
>>
>>49866218
You won't suck, but you will be strictly worse than a straight lore bard. that isn't really something you can fix. Lore Bard is the best class/subclass in the game, multiclassing it with anything just dilutes that.
>>
>>49866202
From what I understand... You can convert Warlock spell slot into sorcery point. Thus, I get 2 Sorcery point back every short rest.

More quicken Eldritch Blast for me.
>>
>>49866231
Ah, oh well.

Thanks for clearing it up though.
>>
Idea to help out warlocks:

Their patron spells are automatically added to their spells known at the relevant levels, and they have a bonus spell slot that can only be used to cast one of their patron spells (this slot recharges on a short rest like their others, and they can use normal slots to cast patron spells as well).

Yes, no, maybe?
>>
>>49866202
You need enough stat to multiclass out too. Give up on DEX and join the STR cult.
>>
>>49864948

top kek
>>
Seeing as how somebody brought up the Revenant in passing before, I wanted to ask: if you wanted to play an "Unmortal" character, like the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment, would slapping on the Relentless racial trait (regenerate 1hp/round if below 50% max hp, automatically resurrect 1 day after death) sound both believable and balanced to you?
>>
>>49866208
>>49866336
That's kinda silly

why is paladin hooked on to str anyway? there is absolutely nothing else about the class that restricts it to str

a divine champion couldn't be dexterous?
>>
>>49866331
The first half sure. Second half (the extra spell slot) maybe.

I'd like to see more invocation options.
>>
>>49866331
Never got why locks didn't just get their patron spell list like cleric/paladin gets theirs
>>
>>49866354
Not at all, no
>>
>>49866367
I mean, they COULD be dextrous, so long as they also didn't feel like being a Warlock.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-10-18 15.26.14.png (1MB, 793x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-10-18 15.26.14.png
1MB, 793x1044px
This shit is super gross looking, I like it
>>
>>49866403
Why not? It only heals you to half your max HP and it basically obliviates the need for a Raise Dead spell. Doesn't mean you can't lose a fight.
>>
>>49866415
but whyyy
>>
>>49866367
Same reason why Ranger need DEX 13, when the class can easily be build with STR.
>>
>>49866423
>More mind flayer themed enemies
I swear, if they have ulitharids or Thoon Hulks my jizz will block out the sun.
>>
I can't be the only person who builds their characters by finding a token they like and then finding nonsensical ways to justify why a paladin would wear light armor and use a war pick, right?
>>
>>49866126

>paladin 3/17 warlock

you'll get more spell slots sticking to paladin and you'll get a variety of features that are way better than what the warlock gets.
>>
>>49866558
You won't get past 5th level spell slots, since warlock slots don't contribute to multiclassing.
>>
>>49866541
Your DM will have to DM in the shade.
>>
>>49866544

I start with an idea, then find a picture that goes with it, then I do everything else.
>>
>>49866577

>you won't get past 5th level slots

you weren't getting past that anyways. by sticking with paladin you'll have more spell slots to smite with, improved divine smite, +Charisma bonus to all your saving throws and ALL of the saving throws of friends in 10 feet of you (maybe 30 feet, i forget what level the upgrade is), immunity to disease and poison, a stronger lay on hands, more HP, and more spells prepared. i don't get what sticking with warlock gets you here, at all.
>>
>>49866613
have you read the warlock? you're aware of course that it does give you once per day 6th level, 7th level, 8th level, and 9th level spells? You can't get if paladin is your main.
>>
>>49866635
>>49866613
warlock levels get you more invocations, such as at will casting of levitate, silent image, speak with dead, and if you're GOO, arguably the best feature in the game at level 14. Additionally, it gets you high level spell slots, something that is incredibly game changing.
>>
>>49866635

Then why take Paladin at all? So you can have an okay smite ~3-4 times per long rest? Is it the healing 15 HP once a day?

I dunno man, it just doesn't seem worth it.

>>49866666

Paladin is so built around being in the thick of things. Sacrificing that ability to still be worse than your full casters at casting doesn't seem worth it to me.
>>
>>49866681
>>49866681
>>49866681
>>49866681
>>49866681
New bread this way
>>
File: DDAL- Shaward.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
DDAL- Shaward.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49866544
The way I build Characters is first, find an interesting idea to run with or an interesting trope to run with. Next, I figure out how to best create a character based on that idea. Finally, I find some character art that helps to tie everything together and help me create his looks. Occasionally though, the final step comes first though as it acts as the inspirational catalyst to my character creation. For example I made this rogue based on a picture that I saw on this board about a week ago.
>>
>>49866435
Raise dead is a 5th level spell. Aaracokra are considered broken and they have a lvl 3 equivilent. The free healing is just too much
>>
>>49865057
No. It makes your DM a moron.
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.