[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 402
Thread images: 46

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

How goes your not-related-to-adventuring endeavors, adventurers? Built that inn from your the earnings you got from looting an evil despot's treasure hoard?

Also what's your trump card "awesome combat music" when you want to pump up your players, DMs?
>>
>>49855369
>not firbolg edition
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Volo_Firbolg107.pdf
where were you the day 5e started to power creep?
>>
>>49855369
>How goes your not-related-to-adventuring endeavors, adventurers?
Awaiting a message from a prospector I hired to scope out the mining property I 'acquired' from a lockbox in someone's house during downtime between games. If there's an iron vein there, I suspect I'll be funding the party's supplies for some time...
Our DM has used the Mortal Kombat soundtrack a few times
>>
File: wizard-casting-a-spell.jpg (38KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
wizard-casting-a-spell.jpg
38KB, 240x160px
Do you often use spells for things they were never intended to do? What is the most creative way you ever used a spell?
>>
>>49855369
I'm leveling up my cleric and saving his money so he can resurrect my last character, who was friends with this character. He sees it as paying back an old debt, so it helps give the character a reason to stick with the party.
Still a long way to go, and more reasons to stay keep cropping up!
>>
File: 1476579309354.jpg (503KB, 1600x1190px) Image search: [Google]
1476579309354.jpg
503KB, 1600x1190px
>>49855047
Cleaned up version
Bracelets which allow you to choose one of four (4) damage types, from Fire, Cold, Thunder, and Lightning, upon taking a short rest. Until your next rest, you may choose to deal the selected damage type, or bludgeoning, while using unarmed strikes. In addition, you may use an elemental discipline, corresponding to your currently selected element. Each elemental discipline from the corresponding damage type selected may be used this way once per long rest. Gain +1 to attacks with unarmed strikes, as well as damage rolls.
>fire
sweeping cinder strike
>cold
Water whip
>thunder
Fist of four thunders
>lightning
Fist of unbroken air

designed for like level 6-7+ but not game breaking around 5, imo.
>>
>>49855442
give him a quarter staff that he can use to glide with, avatar style.
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>49855399
I said the same thing around a group of 5e players and got varying replies from "fuck off" to "stop being so serious". Good times.

>>49855405
Used "Purify Food and Drink" on an would-be-assassin's stuff once to render his all poisons ineffective when I expected he might be an assassin planning on betraying us later.
>>
My group recently decided to play 5e moving from pathfinder. I was wondering if the enchantment wizard was as bad as it looks. Since the DMs in my group don't usually play high level campaigns there's a good chance I'll never get to use the level 14 ability.

I was going to play a charm and compulsion based caster in pathfinder but it doesn't look very good in 5e. Can you guys tell me if I'm not seeing? I don't want to be stuck with a character for a few months that ends up being a disappointment.
>>
>>49855399
It's not so bad.
+2 wisdom and +1 strength are kind of poor matches for each other except maybe for heavy armour clerics. Extra language, extra weight handling and a few short rest spells that work out as both flavourful and potnetially kind of neat.
It doesn't get some of the neat features other classes do like damage resistance, so I think it balances out.

Overall, I'd say it's a pretty solid race.
>>
>>49855399

it's definitely powerful, especially for a cleric, but it's not out of a ballance is it?
>>
>>49855480

Actually, a circle of the land druid wouldn't be too badly served by this either

Of course, best moon druid is still the Ghostwise halfling
>>
>>49855399
I don't think it is too bad. It's not going to be the huge melee race we thought it was going to be so it is nice that they won't replace goliaths. To be honest I am just glad we're getting actual new races instead of the reskinned disappointments sword coast races were.
>>
>>49855399

the mellee ranger in me just had an orgasm
>>
>>49855472
Honestly you're better off just going with a charisma-based Caster like Warlock and picking up Charm Person from one of the Patrons. Both Fae and Great Old One are good for mind-control characters. At least that way if your spell fails you've got the charisma to try and bullshit your way out of it.

If you're intent on playing a wizard, just go with Illusion instead. It's a much better school and can be used much to the same ends as far as deception goes.
>>
I want to be a Paladin Warlock, oath of devotion and undying light from that one UA

Is this a good idea or will I just end up multiclassing for no reason. E blast sort of makes melee redundant save for smites
>>
Question on Downtime Activities, are these done in session or can this be like "in between" sessions where we just go "Oh, my cleric has been training to learn how to use an Alchemist kit" and the DM adjudicates this when we get back to the table?

Or is it an actual session where we RP our downtime activities as if it were a regular adventures except we're dealing with managing our training/studies/managing an inn/keep/etc. instead of slapping the shit out of goblins or a thrwarting a BBEG's plan?
>>
>>49855602
Well, if you go tomelock and grab GFB and shillelagh you can be a SAD melee character.

You'd probably also do well to then grab like 3-6 levels of sorc for quicken metamagic and getting your CHA to damage again.
>>
>>49855628
None of that fits the character.

Dont care about being optimal, just wanna know if I'd be wasting levels not just focusing on one class.

Delaying ASIs and extra attack is bad
>>
File: fantasy alchemy.jpg (36KB, 457x257px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy alchemy.jpg
36KB, 457x257px
>>49855624
Whichever you prefer. I know some parties that like to just have it happen between sessions. Personally I like doing them DURING sessions because I find them to be a better opportunity for roleplaying and character development than most of the combat is. Most of the games I've been in do a mixture of both.
>>
>>49855602
I'd say don't go any higher than 6 levels of the light warlock. Be sure to start level 1 as a paladin before dipping into warlock if you ever plan to go to melee. If you just plan to attack from range don't bother with paladin go sorcerer instead.
>>
>>49855635
>Delaying ASIs and extra attack is bad

Well, I recommended Shillelagh/GFB because it removes the need for the second attack, hence making delaying it less of an issue. Since you'd need to take 2 levels for invocations anyway, taking the third seemed fine, considering the benefit.

If that doesn't fit your char, you'd probably want to be paladin 2 / Bladelock X instead, so you get heavy armor+smites. Then use searing smite, as it deals fire bonus.
>>
>>49855517
>>49855399
I like making a Firbolg druid now since my paladin died with honor last session and there is no way to get him back.
>>
>>49855589
Are melee rangers even viable?

>>49855472
It's not bad, it's just not as good as other wizard options.

>>49855602
3 levels in warlock minimum for level 2 spell slots, agonizing blast and shillelagh (charisma).
7 levels in paladin minimum for auras.
You can also optionally take 7 levels in eldritch knight if you want even more attacks, so you can go eldritch blast -> attack with weapon. However, what you do with your levels beyond level 10 is really up to you.
Warlock-paladin is a pretty strong choice, I'd say.
>>
>>49855685
So what makes an enchantment wizard worth the time compared to other schools? The multi buff spells might be OK but I didn't plan to just be a buffer.
>>
>>49855399
I really thought the Firbolg was going to be a Large race. Didn't they make a big thing about how there as going to be a large playable race in VGM?

Is it going to be the Minotaur?
>>
File: Social Combat.gif (2MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
Social Combat.gif
2MB, 400x209px
>>49855718
You basically have what amounts to mind-control on targets who can't make the saves to resist your spells. The level 14 ability even lets you mind-wipe people. The out-of-combat RP potential is pretty good.

Unfortunately the in-combat potential is weak, the level 14 ability that removes alot of the risk and fallout from your abilities takes forever to come online, and if targets DO make their saves your character might end up being That Guy who gets the whole party in trouble when pissed off would-be victims come seeking retribution over the fact that you tried to mind-hack them.
>>
>>49855759
So nothing before getting the ability at a level the campaign won't last. Fucking bummer.

I guess I'll just play a paladin now that I don't have to be lawful good to play one and save the character concept for if we go back to playing pathfinder.
>>
File: 14638183348880.jpg (27KB, 450x410px) Image search: [Google]
14638183348880.jpg
27KB, 450x410px
Guys, I have a question. I'm new to d&d, so this question may be stupid, but...
What's the deal with warlock? What's his role? What are his strengths? He's caster, yes, but wizard and sorcerer are better at this, I think. His flavor is cool, but what about his abilities?
I'm not trolling or trying to say that this class is weak, I'm genuinely confused.
>>
>>49855835
He's short rest caster: the class.
Seriously. That's it.
If the DM gives four or more short rests per session RELIABLY (keep in mind a short rest is 1 hour), warlock is better.

Otherwise sor/wiz.
>>
>>49855754
Oh please let the Minotaur be better than the UA one. I wanted to play a badass warrior of Baphomet, not some gay sailor from Krynn. Me and my group even started to make fun of the UA and play music from the village people when the Minotaurs of krynn are mentioned.
>>
>>49855835
Invocations provide some interesting things such as at-will casting of certain spells (Which wizard gets way later instead).

The warlock has, by far, the most powerful cantrip in the game.
... That's honestly the only thing that puts them on par, their eldritch blast.
>>
File: Spoons or something.png (73KB, 838x768px) Image search: [Google]
Spoons or something.png
73KB, 838x768px
>>49855835
Warlock is an Eldritch Blast Turret. Eldritch Blast is the most potent cantrip in the game and is upgraded by like 3 Invocations.

All the other Warlock's abilities recharge on Short Rest. Essentially you can blow your whole spellcasting load, take a lunch break, and be good to go again without having to sleep or anything.

This is in keeping with what the warlock was (or supposed to be) in previous editions. A caster who's magic was weaker than a wizard's/sorcerer's, but could be used more frequently, almost infinitely.

Personally I'm not a fan though. Nothing except dedicated Dungeon Crawl campaigns ever seems to burn me out of spell-slots as a wizard, short of the very early beginner-levels like 1-5. After that you won't run out of spell slots unless you're GM is throwing combat at you constantly.
>>
>>49855853
>GM goes on about the fierce band of minotaur pirates
>"In the Navy" starts playing
>>
>>49855893
We've been using YMCA a lot.
>>
>>49855405
I am not a clever person, for the best I've done is use Polymorph to turn into a doggo so I could track by scent.
>>49855923
Still a plenty good song.
>>
>>49855848
>>49855857
>>49855886
Well, that was not what I expected. Thanks for the answers.
Well, in the upcoming (grimderp as fuck, by the way) campaign we are supposed to be a band of mercenaries hired to help king or somesuch in the civil war. DM warned us that there will be a lot of fighting and, knowing this particular DM, not a whole lot of short rests. I think I'll stick to sorcerer. - eldritch blast is good and well, but I want a bit more options.
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
>>49855893
>"We're here for your booty, baby."
>Party begins attacking the flamboyant crew of Minotaurs only for the captain to come bursting onto the scene.
>Macho, macho man blares from the speakers .
>>
>>49855835
Mechanically, the Warlock is like a caster-light. It's less effort to keep track of your spell slots, and you can mostly resort to your cantrips, using your spell slots mostly for buffs or debuffs, and your invocations for passive bonuses. This is why I like it so much.
>>
>>49855835
A warlock is a high investment caster. You only get 2 spells to cast, but you get them back on a short rest.

This means when a level 5 Wizard can cast fireball once a day, but assuming even a modest 2 short rests you can cast it comfortably six times a day. However the wizard gets all his level 1 and 2 spells and can cast most of them in one particularly difficult combat, whereas if you already used one of your spells then you only have one for the next fight no matter what.
>>
>>49855835
Warlocks are invocation based, and eldritch blast based. They've got a lot of options that make them better than other casters at earlier levels, and slightly less powerful at the highest levels.

Eldritch Blast is the best damage cantrip in the game, and warlocks can make it even better with invocations that increase its damage, range, and utility. You only get 8 invocations though, so I really only recommend the damage boost, which is mandatory, and maybe the knockback one.

Invocations are your real bread and butter. Several invocations let you cast spells at will, which is something that completely changes the resource based balancing of the game. Tons of problems can be solved by levitating at will, and the applications of silent image at will are only limited by your creativity and how many sticks are up your DMs ass. Several more Invocations give you unique passives that can be incredibly useful in normal campaigns, such as being able to see through magical darkness, read all writing, cast detect magic at will without having to waste 10 minutes chanting, etc. There are tons of different applications for warlock invocations.

Every Patron is decent, though the best depends on your DM. Generally, Fiend patrons are amazing, letting you play as a low budget skill monkey, with lots of combat options. But if your DM is a liberal kind of DM, then GOO patrons might have the best feature in the game, depending on how they interpret the thrall ability at level 14.

Pact options are not as well balanced. Pact of the Chain and pact of the Tome are both tied for best, and pact of the blade is just shit, that actively makes your character worse by taxing your limited invocations even more to be decent.

You pick a warlock when you want a character who is always online: eldritch blast is always a good combat option, and their invocations give them excellent always online options for many situations.
>>
File: 1450325203336.jpg (406KB, 700x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450325203336.jpg
406KB, 700x1080px
>>49855399
>Wis and Str
>Utility Ritual Spell that is widely available and other roleplay/utility spell, both of which are available to Warlocks at will, on short rest
>Invisibility bonus action that lasts at best until the start of your next turn, and goes away if you make an opportunity attack or other offensive reaction, or have an ongoing spell deal damage, on short rest
>Ribbons better accomplished by a mule and multiple other class features or low level spells respectively
It's fine.
Not what we expected, which isn't a bad thing. But I wish they were Large.
>>
File: Img0018.jpg (33KB, 320x423px) Image search: [Google]
Img0018.jpg
33KB, 320x423px
>>49856066
>Fiend best patron
>Patron who only gives you damage spells when you already have Eldritch Blast
>Not the Patron who lets you telepathically communicate with party members and other people at-will.

Even not counting the thrall thing, GOO is the best Patron by far. Only useful thing Fiend has going for it is Dark One's Luck, and that's not enough to justify taking it. (And MAYBE Fiendish Resistance if your opponents don't switch weapons ever for some reason).
>>
>>49856114
Fiend gives you one of the easiest forms of temp HP to get in the game, a nice boost to important skill checks and saves, resistance that you can swap based on the threat you're facing, and one of the highest damage single target nukes in the game.

Spell list wise, it isn't just damage. it also offers command, and a bunch of good hazard type spells.

GOO is good, and telepathy is neat, but IMO not as widely useful as the fiend features.
>>
>>49855853
I'm not sure there's going to be a minotaur, but since SCAG did polished versions of previous UA concepts, I'm thinking VGM might do the same.

We know goblin, orc and firbolg are new races, what other races do you expect/hope to see?

I'm thinking Minotaur or Revenant, because of the previous UAs, but we might as well get Gith, or Centaur, or even a tiny race like Sprite or Pixie.
>>
File: 1432573714215.jpg (347KB, 800x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1432573714215.jpg
347KB, 800x1020px
>>49856198
I wish we could get a tiny race, but I imagine we won't, simply because it'd be a good spoiler selling point to advertise.
Won't stop me from hoping.
>>
>>49855399
>not large
where were you when wotc confirmed they have no testicles?
>>
>>49856198
I'm looking forward to being able to play asimars and goblins.
>>
So as a warlock, I'm planning on taking repelling and agonizing blast along with the most useful at-will spell invocations. All my spells are going to be focused on out of combat utility for social and exploration situation. Does this sound like a good way to alleviate the spell slot deficiency that everyone accuses the warlock of? I don't care if my combat is predominantly eldritch blasting, but I want to have a wide breadth of use out of combat too.
>>
File: IMG_0232.jpg (163KB, 998x801px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0232.jpg
163KB, 998x801px
Need some help deciding, /5eg/

I'm playing in a small group of just me, a grill and my friend DM. I'm playing a dwarf war cleric, she's playing a circle of earth (?) Druid and he is playing a thief rogue. We just hit level 4 playin through Lost Mine of Phandelver, so I've got a choice between a feat or stat boost

I've got good stats, all except for INT, which is a 7. I feel like I'm playing the tank role in the group so I'm having trouble deciding between picking up Sentinel for my lvl 4 feat, but that 7 INT is killing my investigation rolls. The Druid is SUPER squishy and has really low health so I feel like Sentinel would really help protect her, same with the rogue but not quite as much because he has a dex score of like 19 or some shit.

tl;dr: Sentinel feat or +2 to INT for a war cleric?
>>
>>49856278
>with the most useful at-will spell invocations
Such as?..
>>
Any of you guys buy homebrew material? Which ones do you recommend?
>>
>>49856278
Sure, that's a viable option. One spell you want to take for sure though is hex. It's a warlock exclusive, and incredibly good in combat. It's built to work with the warlock's features, and by level 9, you should only need to cast it once per day, assuming you never break concentration on it.

Some of the at will invocations are redundant. Jump is not as useful as levitate for instance. A lot of the ritual spells that are at will (detect magic, beast speech) can be learned as rituals if you're a pact of the tome lock. Disguise Self at will is great, until you get Altered Self at will, so make sure to switch it out when that becomes available.

I'm a big fan of Pact of the Chain for this build. It enhances so much of what you do in combat and out of combat. In combat, you can eldritch blast, and also give your team dudes advantage on every attack relatively safely.
>>
>>49856319
diguise self, levitate, silent image, altered self. Speak with Dead is also pretty cool.
>>
File: 14574286731760.jpg (44KB, 409x535px) Image search: [Google]
14574286731760.jpg
44KB, 409x535px
>>49856336
>silent image
>useful
>>
>>49856319
Eldritch Sight, Mask of Many Faces, Myriad of Forms, Ascendant Step, Misty Visions, and Beast Speech or Whispers from the Grave
>>
>>49856288
Go for sentinel, have the grill's character make the roll, and then aid her to give her advantage.

If you are meant to be he beefy front liner sentinel will keep enemies in front of you.

I also recommend the tough feat as it gives more health than you realize as you level.
>>
>>49856336
Alter self is kind of meh, simply because it requires concentration.

False life is a good one, for 8 free temporary HP before every combat and possible mustering of more temporary HP in the middle of combat.

Silent image is fun, though sometimes it feels kind of irritating when you're spamming it, and then the other times you forget about it or get tired of using it for pranks.

I wouldn't recommend disguise self unless you're using it as a 24/7 disguise. Probably.

You can try out invocations and swap them out on level up, though.

>>49856344
>implying at-will concealment inside a giant illusionary box isn't great
>implying at-will walls that require an action to possibly see through aren't great
>implying not talking but speaking through images alone isn't fun
>>
>>49856344
at the very least, silent image is a help action that also imposes disadvantage to hit on enemies.
>>
>>49856353
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the PHB in front of me, but could you give me an idea for what tough does exactly?
>>
>>49856440
Different anon here, Tough gives you 2 hp per level.
I'd actually recommend against it. Just boosting your Con score gives you +1 per level, and better concentration, and better constitution saves.
>>
>>49856440
When you gain a level, you also gain an additional 2 health. And you add 2 health for your total level. So if you got the feat at level for you would gain 8 health. This would continue to scale as at level 10 you will have a total of 20 health added, and at level 20 you'd have 40 health.

If you are using a shield I could also recommend Shield Master, but that is more for keeping you alive than keeping the team alive. Sentinel is the best for keeping enemies on you. It even synchronizes with your channel divinity.
>>
>>49856481
Shield master is mostly for shoving enemies prone to help your team, not keep you alive. It does help keep you ailve somewhat, though. Probably not great on a cleric, more for a fighter instead.

>>49856288
Absolutely not int.
Int is probably your least useful stat unless your DM makes you roll investigation ~10 times every session. +2 would bring it to +9, which would'vbe been just as good as +1 and then +1 to another stat.

If you have an odd number of wisdom, put 1 in wisdm and 1 elsewhere.
If you have an odd number in con, get resilient (con).
+2 con is probably better for you than tough feat, only because clerics have some good concentration buffs.

Resilient(dex) may also be viable if your dexterity is at an odd number.

Though, wisdom isn't exactly deadly required for Cleric, so you could probably afford to go up con.
>>
>>49856466
>>49856481
So which formula is it for tough then? Haha

I think I'm going to take Sentinel for now since it seems like it would be super impactful for overall team performance. I might pick up tough later on if it works multiplicatively
>>
>>49856522
Would help if you actually gave us your stats other than 'there's a 7 in int'
>>
>>49856198
hobgoblin, I need playable hobgoblins so badly
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>49856522
Here are the actual rules for tough.

And good choice, sentinel is yor best bet. But if we are talking good feats for a cleric, especially a war cleric, warcaster is a very good pick.
>>
>>49855405
I abuse Minor Illusion.
>>
>>49856546
I'm at work right now so I don't have my sheet in front of me. I know my WIS is 18, but the rest are in the high teens except CHA, which is 11. I can't remember the others

>>49856581
I might do that at another point but right now I have to make sure my party members won't die on me before looking at damage (which is actually pretty good since I got a +1 sword from a chest after the Nothic. I thought for sure that chest was a mimic)
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>Getting ready to run a campaign
>Most of my players have never played before, or at least only played once
>Except one player who has played a lot
>He keeps messaging me about all his 'super cool gamebreaking meme character builds' hes considering using

haha yeah won't it be fun to take all the spotlight for yourself with your funny meme character and hinder everyone elses fun
>>
>>49856628
Tell him to fuck off with them and get in the spirit of the game.
It's up to you whether to mention that there are no gamebreaking builds in 5e.
>>
>>49856628
talk to him with your words.
>>
>>49855405
Cast create food and water to fill up an enemies lungs (or as I like to call them 'air containers') with crumpets.
>>
>>49856217
Iguess a problem with Sprites or Pixies would be that their stat increase would be +2 dex (based on MM), and there's already 2 races that have that. And both have wings, so logically they'd have free flight, which seems to bother many players when it's a racial ability.

I can't think of any other obvious options for a tiny race.
>>
>>49856628
Just tell him in a PM that it might not be fun for the group if he plays a min/maxed character and that he should play something more straightforward

And based on your roll, I'll call you a faggot as well
>>
>>49856628
Describe to us some of these 'gamebreaking builds'
I'd like to hear of them so I can mock them.
>>
>>49856676
I don't think ASI balance is a problem. And they could make the flight restricted the same way it was in 4e, taking cues from eagle barbarian. If they don't end their turn within 5 feet of a surface below them, they fall.
>>
>>49856575
Maybe they'd do it as a subrace of goblin? Although they are pretty distinct.
>>
>>49856676
You could change it so that they have a disadvantage on flight over far distances due to wind or strong breezes

Yeah they can fly across that chasm but they're a wind blowing through the cave so roll for it or something
>>
>>49856609
Well, alright. If your wis is at 18 then +1 to wis +1 to something else isn't your best option.

Kinda feels like you should just get +2 to wis and then obtain shillelagh somehow so you get a +5 to melee to-hit and damage.

I'd probably say to go for resilient(con) if your con is an odd number before anything else, though.
>>
>>49856706
You take your first level as fighter, and then alternate that with fighter every other level and take Great Weapon Master at your first ASI.
>>
I need some elf-queen art...my players might be meeting the queen of the elven realm. All the ones I find are either crap or porn. Porn is fun, but it's not appropriate to show in an FLGS.
>>
>>49856755
It sounds like a joke but Pinterest has some good character art. Check there. My first Google search with Pinterest reveals tasteful Elf queens.
>>
>>49856755
You should ask this in the character art thread (if you haven't already). People with huge catalogs of art lurk there.
>>
>>49856608
Tell us how you abuse it, anon.
>>
>>49855369
>Also what's your trump card "awesome combat music" when you want to pump up your players, DMs?

"Dragon Rider", by Two Steps from Hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv_wua6kFE
>>
File: 1476817743248.jpg (56KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476817743248.jpg
56KB, 445x500px
>>49855369
Aright 5eG, I am about to play my first character that could be evil, a Necromancer. I am thinking of turning him into a real bro though, do I have to be evil when being a necromancer?
>>
>>49856628
His fun counts too, so let him build a "gamebreaking character", and then just don't let it break the game. Present questions that can't be solved as easily with his gamebreaking tools, but can be solved by the players. But every now and then, give him some screen time, and keep it equal.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-29+at+09.25.37).jpg (18KB, 289x93px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-29+at+09.25.37).jpg
18KB, 289x93px
>>49856878
If you mean "copious use of undead minions" yes, but you can still be a bro to people even if you're raping the natural balance.
>>
>>49856878
No. Necromancer originally meant speaker with the dead. A bro necromancer might be a traveling philosopher, who summons the dead to commune with those they left behind, granting solace to the common folk in a harsh world.
>>
>>49856903
>necromancers, with their icky corpse army spells are inherently evil
>enchanters, with their icky rape and slavery spells are not

Thanks 5e
>>
We just hit level 4. Should I bump my strength to 18, or my Wis and Cha to 14 and 16 respectively?

I'm an oathbreaker paladin in a party that's otherwise just casters. So, I'm our only strong guy, while there are others with high charisma. Also, STR is my goddam primary stat.

On the other hand, the game is very investigation-heavy, and I've rolled more persuasion and intimidation checks than attack rolls. I've also gotten a lot of use out of my charisma-based special abilities. And since my role in combat is primarily defensive, strength is somewhat less important for me than for your average fightguy.

Advice?
>>
>>49856878
For fuck sake.

No, you don't, but it's really easy to be evil given how most Necromancy spells work.

Undead creation is right out by RAW if you want to remain good, however. A skeleton or zombie that isn't controlled will attack with intent to kill any living creature it encounters, according to the Monster Manual. The same can't be said for, say, a golem, or animated clock. Most undead are innately evil, hence why they have an alignment even when mostly unintelligent. And more powerful and intelligent undead are actively hostile towards living beings.

If you want to have skeleton servants, learn Animate Object. A corpse is an object by D&D rules, and an animated object will not attack a living being on sight unless ordered to do so.
>>
>>49856878
Not all evil characters have to be moustache twirling villains, or you could be neutral or something.

That being said, creating undead monstrosities is still pretty evil. If you lose control of them they'll start attacking anything living, so it's pretty irresponsible to do it even if you're not "evil".
>>
>>49856925
Enchantment magic is a tool. It can be used to cause harm to others, or to prevent harm by temporarily subduing wrongdoers.
Fireball isn't inherently evil because it can be used to burn an orphanage down.
Creating undead *is* evil, no matter how you slice it, because it is done by binding evil spirits to bodies that they can and will use to do evil things if your control falters.
>>
File: 1476279562158.jpg (147KB, 1458x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476279562158.jpg
147KB, 1458x1080px
>>49856903
fuuuck, I wanted to go chaotic neutral, summoning dead peeps for fun and carrying my shit.
>>
>>49856932
If it's as RP-heavy as you said, I say WIS and CHA.
>>
>>49856925
The use of necromancy to create undead is innately nongood in and of itself regardless of how you intend to use it.

Things like Charm and Dominate, meanwhile, can be used like Jedi mind tricks to avoid combat. Obviously they can be USED for evil, but they are not innately evil.
>>
File: 1476276125700.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1476276125700.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>49856933
check, I will lvl animate object, that should bend the rules in my favour quite well indeed.
>>
So.. did I get this right...

Moon Druid is strong from 2-4 via Wild Shape.
They get a bump at 5 with Conjure Animals.
Another bump at 6 with Giant Elk.
Then.. it's kinda get nothing until 10?
>>
>>49856932
Since you already have 18 in str bumping cha is a good deal. I would go with the wis cha boost. You don't need 20 str till 8.
>>
>>49856903
This depends on the setting desu. I know for the games I run, things being objectively good or evil is the first thing to go. alignment defined spells and monsters aren't very interesting.
>>
>>49855405
Prestidigitation and a lot of free time to clean up a castle for resale.
>>
>>49856957
nongood != evil.
>>
>>49856969
Yup, Moon Druid is crazy strong early, but it tails off to meh later on.
>>
>>49856672
Aren't you supposed to have line of sight for that?
That would be my initial argument to stop the cheese, anyway.
>>
>>49856957
influencing someone's mind for magic is innately evil in and of itself regardless of how you intend to use it.

Things like create undead and resurrection meanwhile, can be used to ease the plight of the common man. Obviously they can be used for evil, but they are not innately evil.
>>
>>49856980
Guy who asked didn't specify a setting. Default setting in 5e is FR, so I posted the default rules for it.
>>
>>49856946
>fuck, I can't be arsed to carry my shit
>well, I have tenser's floating disk, but fuck that
>I'll just animate some undead who hate all living beings to do that shit
>what could go wrong
>besides, it's FUN
Huh, that sound exactly what a chaotic neutral character would do.
>>
>>49855405
Shape Water is create a wall (no OA since they can't see me).

Shape Water to make a giant ball of ice and roll it to detect trap.

Shape Water to make an animate party dress.

Shape Water to break stone door.

Cantrip are fun.
>>
>>49856946
you can be neutral and summon skeletons, by raw it's just not a good act. either your character knows the danger then and keeps an eye on his skelies, or he's irresponsible and just shrugs it off.
>>
>>49857013
Hm, I'm not sure you could Shape Water to break down a stone door...at least not quickly. The rest of them, though, would be okay, although not overly strong in the case of the wall.
>>
>>49855369
Ok i have a one shot today, group of three, death cleric, bard and monk, they get hired by a mage to go grab a red dragon egg from a kobold's tribe near a volcano: Can you guys give me some ideas for the dunegon? Evene better would be to get some maps. Thanks.
>>
>>49857013
>animate party dress.

>Dress only made of water

L-lewd...
>>
>>49857032
It can freeze water. Guess what happen when water get into things and you flash freeze it?

https://youtu.be/9HjHG8InQ-8?t=59s
>>
>>49856989
But nor does it mean that a good person can do it and keep doing it, and expect to remain good.

>>49856999
>influencing someone's mind for magic is innately evil in and of itself regardless of how you intend to use it.

Evidently there is disagreement on this matter, hence why D&D doesn't call Enchantment innately evil or good, but it makes a point of saying that the creation of undead is innately nongood.

Bury your trips deep down, Anon. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.

>muh common man

A rotting, possessed-by-evil-spirits and/or infused-with-vile-energy corpse that, if control over it slips, will actively start attacking any living being nearby, will probably not be much appreciated by the common man.
>>
>>49855628
What's all these acronyms ect.
Don't kill me
Tomelock?
Sad
>>
>>49857090
>pact of tome warlock
>green flame blade
>secondary attribute dependant?
>sorcerer
>charisma
>>
>>49857090
Warlock with pact of the tome.
SAD = Single ability dependent, character that can do stuff effectively even when you invest in one single stat.
>>
>>49855405
prestidigitation to create keys to locks that I've either memorized with keen mind, or probed sufficiently to guess the shape (intelligence based thieves tool check, with any long narrow object being used as the thieves tool)

Silent Image of an archway through a wall to the other side, illusory reality to make it real and step through, then canceling the illusion at the last moment to make pursuing enemies wil e coyote themselves into a wall.

Mirage Arcane to reshape the land to be 10 feet lower, then level 6 illusion wizard feature to change it to be 10 feet higher, burying everyone in the square mile alive.

Creation to create a stone statue which lasts a day, giving as a gift to a king, then using the level 6 illusion feature to turn it into gunpowder when he is inspecting it, and create bonfire to ignite it.
>>
>>49857090
Tomelock is Warlock with the Pact of the Tome.
SAD is single attribute dependent, as opposed to MAD (multiple attribute dependent)
For example, a paladin wants to punch shit with Str but casts and scales powers with Cha, and is thus MAD.
A wizard uses Int for his spells and cantrips, so he's SAD.
>>
>>49857042
no one?
>>
>>49857054
you can change the water transparency and opacity. but yes, it was lewd
>>
>>49857090
tomelock is a lock for your books
sad is an emotion, or else Seasonal Affective Disorder
>>
>>49857042
Use donjon dungeon generation then tweak it?

http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/dungeon/
>>
>>49857042
Download modules made for older editions and use the maps.
>>
>>49857134
Never do this. I tried for a while, but it is shit, and inevitably results in shit products, unless you're going to spend more time fixing it than you would just drawing a damn dungeon yourself.
>>
>>49857119
>>49857054

This just makes me more curious about what spells can be used to make extravagant and lewd dresses. Like red carpet dresses but for mages.
>>
>>49857099
>>49857103
>>49857110

Wow.
Thanks!
>>
>>49857172
Continual Flame.
Minor Conjuration.
All sorts of illusion spells.
>>
>>49857121
Thanks for the clarity
>>
>>49856754
>alternate that with fighter
What?

That's a typo, isn't it?
>>
>>49856932
Charisma becomes very important once you hit level 6. Get charisma up.
>>
>>49856969
If you're going moon Druid you should consider playing Druid/Barbarian.

Very fun and flavorful split.
>>
>>49857210
No, he's making a joke that the secret build is to just max out fighter levels, but phrasing it like most charop builds are presented.
>>
>>49857210
I think it's a joke.
>>
>>49857201
Continual Flame can be used to accent an outfit. Minor Conjuration doesn't exist. Illusion spells are pretty lewd, since you'd be naked beyond wearing an image that has no physicality to it.
>>
>>49857285
Correction, minor conjuration is a Conjuration wizard class feature.
>>
>>49857056
Geologist-in-training here.

Don't expect all rocks to have a water content, especially if it's construction-grade. However, you can assume there may be a tiny bit of it trapped in, and might be able to freeze that.

But, that water will be under pressure. Water under pressure takes a lower temperature to cool, and thus trying to freeze against a pressure would result in it taking more of a magic force. It's kind of like magically trying to force it open with a magical force, unless it's ruled 'as written, water freezes regardless of its condition'.
>>
>>49857305
I'd probably rule it deals 1d8/5 levels to a door.
>>
>>49856992
Presumably just seeing the outside of the container is enough? Otherwise I don't see why it would even need to specify it can be used on containers.

As a GM I wouldn't even disallow it, I'd just make it do damage equivalent of some other 3rd level spell.
>>
>>49857327
the worst part is the recurring strong pneumonia as a result of putting bacteria laden food into someone's lungs.
>>
So say your players just slew a dragon of sufficient size to make armor from its scales. However the ones who could make use of scale armor don't want armor of their own, for whatever reason.

Would you allow the party's rogue to gather sufficient material from the dragon so as to make (or rather, have someone else make and enchant) the equivalent of studded leather armor (but with the special traits of dragon scale armor)?

Also, what kinds of checks would you have the player make to harvest the scales, and how much do you suppose the raw material carted back to civilization would weigh?
>>
>>49857305
Oh fuck i'm a geobro too!
>>
>>49857305
Shape Water brah. You put the water into that stone door. Since it's a door, there will be a place where you can get the water to expand and push it out (lock,hinge).

Also going by your logic...
Dragon can't fly now because of Square-Cube law and actually Huge dragon should die due to their blood pressure.

So yeah D&D use hollywood logic not RL logic.
>>
If a paladin has Great Weapon Fighting style, and it uses Smite, can he also reroll the Smite d8 if it's a 1 or 2?
>>
>>49857413
Nope. Not anymore. They fixed it

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016
>>
>>49857357
The underside of a dragon may be soft and flexible relative to at least dragon scales. If you would compare a dragon to another four legged reptile their underbelly is usually softer.

This could be some pretty tough leather that could allow the dragon scale mail magic to be used. Sleight of Hand check to carefully cut the hide off without damaging it sounds great. Or a flat Dex check like how a tool kit is supposed to work. You could have carving tools and proficiency in those tools for it to get proficiency.

Or you could make a survival check that could be an alternative. And to get it back, probably just carry as much as you can, as it is probably heavier rather than lighter.
>>
>>49857319
As much as I'd like to reward creativity, I've had a second thought about it and if it's made of a non-sedimentary rock that isn't some sort of volcanic glass formed in the ocean (and even then I might be doubtful) it would probably do absolutely nothing.
If there are cracks and they can fill the cracks, however, that might work and I'd probably say it does more damage than the barbarian with a maul, but only if the door is really fucking thick. Otherwise, maul barbarian is, unfortunately, probably going to do a bit better.

>>49857402
Dragons actually make perfect sense when you fucking kill all of them

>>49857382
I multiclassed into physics, though.
>>
>>49857447
>>49857402
But yes, doors would have cracks you could probably abuse.
Probably can't do it to a wall.

The deal with dragons is you don't usually fight them with science. When you fight something with science, science fights back.
>>
>>49857305
The water freezes instantaneously, which results in a release of energy. Now since this is magic, it's not unlikely that the energy released is just taken to a magical realm or something. But this is energy available to use for the water to crack and break the things around it.

There's a lot of energy in this process being released. As a very basic example, freezing a 5 foot cube of water out of an ocean would probably result in the instantaneous boiling of the water right next to the cube, if the energy wasn't instantly sucked into a magical realm.

My theory is that the energy sucked into the magical realm by the spell is available for the water to do work on other things as a result of its freezing. So an expanding cube of ice can take from this well of magical potential energy to do work on the things surrounding it, including breaking them.

The more under pressure the water is, the more energy needs to be released to instantaneously freeze it, and the more energy is available to take to do work on the things putting the water under pressure.

This means that no matter where the water is, it's going to expand when frozen, and successfully cause stress on the stonework around it.
>>
>>49856949
>>49856976
>>49857219

I currently only have 16 strength, but there seems to be a consensus. Thanks for the advice!
>>
hey /5eg/, check it out
http://www.polygon.com/features/2016/10/19/13321200/dungeons-and-dragons-volos-guide-to-monsters-monster-manual-beholder-mind-flayer

volo's is shaping up to be really great, it seems
>>
>>49857483
Most likely, the spell can freeze water by transferring the heat to the Plane of Water. Its expansion, logically, could affect the door.
But I don't think I'd allow a cantrip to break open a bank vault. This reeks of "Well I can use Minor Conjuration to summon a stick of dynamite..."
>>
>>49857563
I just want playable kobold stats, that's all.
>>
>>49857483
The problem with that is you can then break anything inelastic with a simple cantrip.
Adamantium and mythril probably have enough give in them, but you could probably fracture even diamonds with that cantrip because it 'automatically freezes' without respect for the forces trying to prevent it from freezing.

There's only about ~22 additional kelvin required to freeze and thus create ice III, but it's still odd that such a magic would have the flexibility of being able to freeze water no matter its pressure... No, wait, I'm looking at this wrong.

The spell could well freeze water into an ice form which is, in fact, not less dense than water, and thus it will do nothing. Okay, then again, that ice will just try to turn into regular ice if pressure isn't high enough, and there'll be some sort of pressure fight between the rock trying to keep the ice from changing crystal structure and the water just trying to fucking explode.

I'd rather look at it as 'magic takes away some of the energy, discarding it into the magical voids. This will typically freeze room temperature water.'
>>
File: image.png (1010KB, 765x835px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1010KB, 765x835px
A fire giant dreadnaut
>>
>>49857583
if the wizard knows dynamite why couldn't he? In a standard fantasy setting, he would have had to put in years of research into it.
>>
>>49857597
You think fire giants get upset about being called Giantlets by other giants?
>>
So in theory, with the Unearthed Arcana of Eberron and the approval of the DM would it be possible to run a 5th edition warforged?
>>
>>49857583
You knew it in your heart that you can't stop spell caster.

A Wizard could just use Familiar resummon ability to teleport it behind the vault door and then use Mage Hand (+sight from familiar) to open the lock from inside.
>>
>>49857644
if you like sucking fat dick, yeah
>>
>>49857644
Would it be possible to play a race that they made a stat block for so that people could play them?

Yes
>>
>>49857674
I am very new to D&D and didn't want to bring it to my DM just for him to be like no get the fuck out.

>>49857662
Why's that?
>>
>>49857627
Because it's against the spirit of the ability. Granted, clever use of abilities in combat is one of the core advantages of TTRPGs, but magic throws a wrench in things. If magic can only do one thing, it discourages creative use. However, if you leave it too open ended, it encourages metagaming for "clever solutions" that don't make sense with ingame lore assumptions or the concept of balance among teammates. Like using a cantrip to break a solid stone door instantly based on modern day techniques, or a level 2 feature to conjure a ball of antimatter.
>>
>>49857688
How do you know conjuring dynamite to be used is against the spirit of an ability that lets you conjure items to be used?
>>
>>49857698
Because instead of being a singular tool which can be used to accomplish mundane tasks, such as conjuring a pot for cooking or chair for resting or other convenient items without carrying them, it is summoning an item which can cause massive damage in combat and destroy massive things instantly.

You see a wall that needs to be broken? Conjure a pickaxe and get to work. You can't just summon an instant fireball every round for free.
>>
>>49857563
Awesome they brought back the beholder-kin. Here's hoping they brought back the hive mother and beholder tree.
>>
>>49857681
The DM always has final say on what races are allowed, he could say no humans if he wants.

Warforged don't exist outside of Eberron as far as I know, so it's always possible he could say no.

And Warforged kind of suck anyway in 5e because WotC are just terrified of giving races meaningful racial drawbacks which is what allowed Warforged to be so unique before.
>>
>>49857720
how do you know the spirit of the ability is to summon singular tools which can be used to accomplish mundane tasks?

The ability screams to me: "use me for creative problem solving", not "use me for mundane tasks". Why is your opinion more valid than mine? Why are either of our opinions relevant in a discussion about the rules?
>>
>>49857681
they're just... really bad. +1 str/con and +1 ac is extremely mediocre. they're fun as hell to roleplay, and the no sleeping thing makes them good guards in a wilderness setting. they're ok fighters and barbarians (I had a player roll a battlerager warforged that had spiked welded to him and PTSD) and are fun in theory but it's hard not to see one and think about a Goliath or mountain dwarf. eberron just needs its own book in general
>>
File: 1427729303991.jpg (271KB, 1508x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1427729303991.jpg
271KB, 1508x1000px
>>49857742
>Hurrdurr I summon a super-nova every turn to do 10,000d20 damage. Don't worry though Fighty Mc Fighterman, I'm sure you'll get a new Combat Maneuver soon.
>>
Conjuring dynamite? Step up your game.

>conjure a ball of fucking antimatter
It's like I just rolled 100 on psychic phenomena and then 100 perils of the warp and then 100 again.
>>
>>49857742
I'm not even going to try to argue with this. You can't honestly believe that it's okay for a second level wizard to conjure explosives all day, why play devil's advocate here?
>>
>>49857733
Being only knowlegeable in 5e. What were the drawbacks for Warforged?

Also wouldn't a meaningful racial drawback count the drawback in 5e for Drow players? Or lol drow?

>>49857746
I get that, I suppose it's just me finding the race fun and being prone to poor choices. Current example, in the current party I'm in DM told me humans would be a poor choice, went against his advice rolled a Human Rogue. Currently in the underdark dealing with demons.
>>
>>49857769
Are you on your antimatter strawman?

A supernova may not exist in the setting, considering celestial bodies may actually be gods or aliens or whatever fits your mythology. Antimatter may not exist in the setting. Either way, if those things do exist, it would take years upon years of study for a wizard to observe one enough to be able to conjure them, and incredible magical power to do it safely. In other words, the campaign is already over, and the heroes have transcended their problems, move onto the next story.

Dynamite, or gunpowder however is much more mundane. As far as damage goes, I don't believe they are statted, so they can be whatever amount of damage the DM feels is appropriate.
>>
File: DND Helaer Logic.jpg (2MB, 3327x2977px) Image search: [Google]
DND Helaer Logic.jpg
2MB, 3327x2977px
>>49857821
>Hurrdurr I summon water in the enemy's lungs, roll drowning saves.
>>
>>49857804
Depends on the setting. If gunpowder is common, then sure. In the default setting, gunpowder isn't common. But if the wizard does his research, which would probably take him a few weeks, several quests, and quite a few levels, then he gets it.

In either case, gunpowder becomes available to the party as a whole, which I would also let open up options for the martials in the party. Such as guns for instance. Or just letting them use explosives too.

>>49857846
>hurr durr i haven't read the phb.

Seriously, every time I see one of these rules discussions happen, some moron such as yourself posts a strawman that doesn't even work according to the rules, revealing they have no idea what they're talking about. Congrats on being the moron this time.

>can use your action to conjure up an inanimate object in your hand or on the ground in an unoccupied space
>>
File: 1454855863043.jpg (17KB, 551x400px) Image search: [Google]
1454855863043.jpg
17KB, 551x400px
>>49857637
As long as a height difference exists, there can be no peace
>>
I am just wondering if 7 lv 7 player can handle a beholder decently
>>
>>49856878
>Aright 5eG, I am about to play my first character that could be evil
Oh cool, I wonder what it could be...
>a Necromancer
When will you fucks get over skeletons.
>>
>>49857891
Problem one with that: An object. Gunpowder isn't an object, it's a substance composed of many tiny grains. So you get a single mote of it, or a chunk.
Problem 2 is that burning it to cause a reaction damages and destroys it, as does trying to remove a chunk.
Problem 3 is inter party balance. Sure the others can benefit from their new resource, but they can't produce anything remotely like it, suddenly making the wizard unduly vital and overpowered.
4, the setting isn't built for it. If this was something that could be done, others would have done it before. You'd have wizards at construction sites making and throwing it. It'd be common knowledge and practice.
>>
>>49857483

Well, actually, you're getting a DM pass.

Lots of conjuration and size changing spells foresee for magical expansion when there's not enough room for it.

Two things logically happen by interperting the rules

A) The pressure in the fluid keeps the energy drop in ballance so that even though the temperature changed, the water remains in its liquid form

B) Some minimal force damage may occur, the most you get out of it is expelled water, and the new formed cracks cushion to accomodate the contraction and expansion of that cantrip in future uses, as spells don't stack
>>
File: 1476067500384.jpg (282KB, 1040x826px) Image search: [Google]
1476067500384.jpg
282KB, 1040x826px
I use to always play Chaotic Neutral or borderline evil characters but now I am in love with Paladins holy fuck
>Try playing a Paladin to step outside my comfort zone
>Lawful Good
>meet one of the other PC's on my travels
>he is trying to get to neverwinter to trade
>this road is very bandit infested, I offer to take him there
>get down on one knee and pledge my morningstar to his aid
>we meet up with other PC's
>head to volcano to stop some cult
>volcano erupts
>I am oath of the crown
>use divine allegiance to take trader's damage on top of mine so he takes none
>My god, Torm, sees my act of good and revives me
>later on we meet an elemental fire queen
>she has good intentions
>pledge to help her stop the cult in return for peace among the fire elementals and the material plane
>she agrees
>chaotic neutral rogue talks shit to me to get me to break my oath
>It doesn't work
>tell him that all souls can be saved with a strong enough paladin

This is so fun. Paladins are awesome.
>>
>>49857911
Book says its between hard and deadly difficulty. So they could.

Can your characters pump out 180 damage in 3-4 turns? I'm fairly certain an eyebeam will down at least one of them, and with the antimagic cone they will need to know what they are facing.

I would do it if they had ample preparation and information on the creature.
>>
>>49857911
A Beholder should be a Hard encounter for five level 13s.

On the one hand, more players tips the action economy in their favour. On the other, six levels is a big difference especially because they're missing on average two ASIs, and level 11 is a power jump level (cantrips level up, Fighters get another attack). Beholders also have a lot of abilities that force saves, and the party will have both lower scores and fewer responses to failing saves. I'd say a Beholder would be an above-Deadly encounter for seven level 7s, even more so if it's in its lair.
>>
>>49857942
I'd rule advantage on checks to break the door. Still a damn hard DC, though.
>>
>>49857931
Problem 1: Everything is granular. If you can summon a shovel composed of many dead wood cells, and unliving atoms, you can summon a single stick of dynamite.

Problem 2: Damage is a defined term. Igniting something doesn't deal damage to it unless the source of ignition says it does. You may as well argue that a shovel gets microscratches from digging in dirt, and takes damage.

Problem 3: If the wizard discovered gunpowder, he discovered a means of production. it's easy enough to manipulate the quest required to discover it so that the party has equal stake in that production process.

Problem 4:
>if dynamite wasn't discovered in a setting until the players, you'd lhave wizards using all sorts of undiscovered dynamite in construction sites.

Yeah nah. If dynamite is a common thing in your setting, sure. In the default one people don't use it because it isn't discovered or common yet. magic is also extremely rare, and it's far cheaper to build a house out of sticks around the land than it is to hire a wizard to excavate it. Which they can do: they've got move earth already.

Get your mechanics and fluff right buddy.
>>
>>49857563

>Polygon

Could you not? I can't even.
>>
>>49857964
Welcome to the light brother, pick up your greatsword and pamphlet on how to kill evil PCs at the door.
>>
File: owl knight.png (370KB, 502x1200px) Image search: [Google]
owl knight.png
370KB, 502x1200px
>>49857964

Yeah, paladins are a blast! I've found that playing a no-fucks-given asshole is a lot less engaging than playing an all-fucks-given man of purpose and principle.

Glad you're having fun!
>>
>>49857993

I'd definitely refuse you a conjuration of dynamite without alchemy proficiency and a black powder formula.

However, it's no more broken than the ability to cast fireball, to be honnest
>>
>>49857911
In general, you should be careful with monsters whose CR is significantly higher than the party's level. It might work out to a balanced fight on paper using the experience calculator, but the monster itself has the ability to actually kill party members extremely quickly. The beholder has 3 rays that can ruin a level 7 character's day, and gets to fire off 6 rays during a full round of turns. In all probability, it's going to fuck up some players.
>>
>>49858021
>Being able to create explosive each turn with no resource expenditure is no more broken than the ability to summon a sphere of heat and fire that doesn't affect oxygen or pressure meted out carefully on a limit per day system
>>
>>49857964
Seem like you got a good DM too. Some DM like being a dick to Paladin.
>>
File: Everyone in this thread.jpg (32KB, 511x384px) Image search: [Google]
Everyone in this thread.jpg
32KB, 511x384px
So, everyone in the Conjuration-Gunpowder argument... why are you feeding the troll again? When it's obvious someone is retarded and they keep talking, they're just doing it for attention, you know. The only way to win is to give them total lack of attention they actually deserve until they get sick of throwing their temper tantrum, since spanking their ass or taking away their video games isn;t an option on the internet.
>>
>>49858035
Depends on how you stat the Dynamite. I'm leaning towards 2d6 on a dexterity saving throw for every creature in the wide area, and double damage to structures.
>>
>>49858055
Who is the troll?
>>
File: 1431466973581.jpg (178KB, 650x813px) Image search: [Google]
1431466973581.jpg
178KB, 650x813px
Is Warlock a viable dip without taking EB and related invocations for multiclasses with a different primary damage source? Namely I was thinking Swashbuckler/Warlock for melee cantrips and some magic powers to toss into the mix.
>>
> Friend ask DM for a homebrew furry race
> DM allow it
This isn't going to end well is it...
>>
>>49858076
what powers?

The rogue level 20 feature is actually good, and sacrificing your sneak attack dice progression is asking for trouble.

The reason warlock makes such a good dip is that eldritch blast is a great source of damage that doesn't care what your class levels are.
>>
>>49858076
Maybe? But if that all you really need, you should just take magic initiate.
>>
>>49858082
I don't see the point in homebrewing anything when you can pretty much just take a PHB race and refluff it. Like with mouse-halflings from the DMG.
>>
>>49858076
A dip wouldn't really give you enough spell-slots to be worth it. Definitely not at the cost of Sneak Attack Dice.
>>
>>49858055
>>49858058
>>49858035
>>49858021
>>49857993

Worth noting: if any of you putzes are playing in the Forgotten Realms, Gond directly intervenes to stop the spread of gunpowder. Expect to be smote.
>>
>>49858105
I agee with you.. this smell like "special snowflake" syndrome or "+4 to STR is totally not OP, honest" syndrome.
>>
>>49857996
>butthurt
Enjoy not seeing mindflayer and beholder fluff, I guess?
>>
>>49858044
>>49857964

>My god, Torm, sees my act of good and revives me

And this is why no good person in the history of the world has ever died.

Seriously, though, if the DM is doing shit like this, it completely devalues the nobility of a heroic sacrifice. A game where the DM is bending over backwards to prevent the paladin from experiencing a consequence of his actions is just as bad as a game where the DM is doing everything he can think of to make the paladin fall.
>>
>>49857563
All that fucking tasty lore, time to get a mindflayer campaign ready.
>>
>>49858107
I'm not. Forgotten realms has always been a bit too boring for my tastes.
>>
>>49855405
sleep on a low hp fleeing dragon , that then died from the fall.
>>
File: 1461988128611.jpg (44KB, 429x724px) Image search: [Google]
1461988128611.jpg
44KB, 429x724px
>>49858098
Devil's Sight, Fiendish Vigor, Mask of Many Faces, and Misty Visions are all tasty. Depending on pact, I could also get a few temporary hit points when I finish off a creature, an action to charm or frighten things, or telepathy. I'll already have a high Charisma as a swashbuckler, so my saves will be pretty good. Spells are always a nice thing to have in a toolkit, and it will shift some of my "all day" power rogues have to a short rest basis. If I go in for 3 levels I can get an upgraded familiar to help me with scouting and all sorts of shenanigans too.
>>49858101
It would cover the cantrips and let me accelerate my rogue progression, but not the number of spells or other powers.
>>49858106
2 levels is already 2 spell slots per short rest, and potentially at-will spells from invocations.
>>
>>49858173
>feeling the need to reinvent the wheel

I used to be like this. I tried to make every campaign I ran different for the sake of difference, not even considering the fact that my players were newbies who had never even played in a normal campaign and so didn't have the context to understand what the hell I was doing. Even more experienced players don't appreciate a setting where everything is different if it means they have no idea how to play their characters and would routinely make fundamental assumptions about how fantasy RPGs work that I was defying for no reason but to show off how "original" I could be.
>>
>>49858245
>not finding reinventing the wheel fun

Just put together a setting guide for your players to read, and you're golden on the roleplay front.
>>
>>49858209
Sounds good then. You'll deal less damage overall, but should be a great asset out of combat.

Though disguise self is subsumed by having a disguise kit. I'd go for three levels, pick up pact of the chain for an imp buddy, and misty visions/devil's sight.
>>
>>49858342
Actually, nevermind about devil's sight. If you get a pact of the chain imp, you can see through its 120ft dark vision instead. It won't pierce magical darkness, but that's marginally useful if you aren't taking the darkness spell.
>>
>>49858245
>>49858299
Solve this problem by having only vague setting fluff and encouraging the players to make up parts of the setting that relate to their characters. If only one player is playing a character of a certain race, then he gets to brainstorm the culture and setting related to that. A cleric or paladin character gets to make up details about his god and religion, etc.
Coming up with fluff collaboratively is a much better way to achieve player investment and buy-in that dictating a bunch of pre-made fluff and expecting people to conform to it even if they are not interested.
>>
Could a Dragonbron Cleric change the nature of a Kobold?
>>
>>49858441
What can change the nature of a Kobold?
>>
>>49856878
In our setting the kingdom we started in doesn't consider necromancy evil. They are a very warlike people and they actually want to be resurrected to fight again. In fact, our party's necromancer has a skeleton that used to be his great grandfather.

If we have to go to another kingdom, or anywhere where necromancy is illeagal he just pretends to be a regular ol' wizard and leaves his bag o bones grandpappy in the gypsy cart.
>>
>>49858459
Love, anon
>>
>>49858459
A bunch of Kobolds live deep under the Dwarven mountainhome, the upper caves used to be their homes but the Dwarfs pushed them back deep underground, then the arrival of a fire giant conqueror sent them even further down.
Now they're few in number and living in fear.
Would they take the option of leaving with the Dragonborn Cleric as servants of Tiamat?
>>
>>49858534
Are you the DM or the player? If you're DMing, then make up whatever fluff you want. If you're the player, ask the DM ooc if this idea is interesting and see what he says. A good DM can make this into a plot twist that will add to the story.
>>
>>49858534
Maybe?

You would probably have to convince them somehow but it isn't as though kobolds can't become someone's underlings.
>>
Tg, I need advice.

I have this Archmage bound and gagged in my cottage basement, because holy shit, so not fuck with a magebreaking bard with prep time. We're bullshit.

Bitch is evil, and she's got the dragon cult keeping a look out for her. What do I do?

Cant keep her in the basement forever, its not sustainable, cant deliver her to the authorities, the Dragon Cult can divine on her, cant kill her, the Dragon Cult can just comune with dead and shit, and they'll be on my ass.

How do I make the bitch dissapear?
>>
>>49858601
DM.

>>49858607
Not really underlings, he's lawful good, but when the kobolds see him they'll think he's a savior or something along these lines.
>>
>>49858534
>>49858607
I think I read somewhere that Kobolds basically have to have something more powerful than them to boss them around.

Just beat up their leader and tell them they are coming with you, that you are the weapon of Tiamat.

They'll be lining up for you to send them on suicidal tasks or defend you and your stuff with their lives
>>
>>49858637
Give her to a demon. Not only do you get rid of her, but you'll get some sweet demonic boons.
>>
>>49858637
Kill, Trap Soul, wear soul stone as fashionable genital jewelry

OR

Seduce, marry, mooch Wishes until she gets cut off by the universe, then return to plan A
>>
>>49858637
>/tg/: THAT guy general
>>
Lawful Evil Dragonborn adherent of Bahamut who worships him because he's the only remaining draconic deity with a non-horrific afterlife. Sincere enough to not get walled for lip service
>>
>>49858637
What resources do you have available? What level are you, how much gold can you spend on this etc.
>>
>>49858646
>Lawful Good
>Cleric of Tiamat

wat
>>
>>49858658
Wait did i fucking say Tiamat?
I meant Bahamut.
Fuck.
>>
>>49858675
Your selfishness offends Bahamut, no afterlife of kibbles and bits for you
>>
File: 66457520.jpg (37KB, 269x187px) Image search: [Google]
66457520.jpg
37KB, 269x187px
>>49858161
Everybody gets one.
>>
>>49858033
>>49857968
>>49857967
seeing that is case is there anyway I can get some advantage on it? I mean our fighter got a steel mirror shield and we also got a pally and a cleric to help with those saves
>>
>>49858708
Kobolds can worship Bahamut just fine.

Give them a rousing sermon about how Tiamat fucking eats the souls of her worshippers in her afterlife LITERALLY located in Hell and how Bahamut might transform them into sick platinum kobolds if they're good.
>>
>>49858763
And the preacher of Bahamut finds out VERY quickly that Tiamat tends to be quite active on the material plane.
>>
I can't wait for Volo's Guide to Monsters...
>>
>hawkmen race

Shit, wish I'd seen these before I made my character
>>
>>49858828

I'm starting to get excited. You think we'll get an early PDF before it hits stores?
>>
Anyone here try Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds? Any opinions on one over the other?
>>
>>49858803
That's why you're a Cleric of Bahamut and not a Priest of Bahamut.

Apply mace directly to the forehead.
>>
>>49858846
Doubtful. I refuse to pay extra, so I preordered mine from Amazon. Not expecting a PDF for a couple weeks after it comes out.
>>
>>49858751
Not in the book but blinding it probably would be really really good. Your paladin has blinding smite, if it can't see it wont be able to coordinate its eye rays well.

Anyone who doesn't rely on magic has to stay in the anti magic field. The field counters its own eye rays so you can't eye Ray something in the field. So a fighter should be constantly moving to stay in that cone.

Second stay within 10 feet of your paladin, the eye rays are not AoE they target creatures. Meaning bunching up is ok and the saves for these rays are not easy.

Third get in close to him. The anti magic cone is hard to get out of if you are far away from it and in the middle, while it may take 5-15 feet of movement to move out of it when you are close up. This also means as long as you are not in the cone you can be near the paladin and getting save bonuses.

Fourth make sure you are doing nothing after the fight that requires spell slots cause with all these eye rays, you are gonna want to burn your move powerful spells as quick as possible.

Five be ready to fight him in the air cause he may want to hover away from the barbarian or fighter or whatever is meleeing him.
>>
>>49858849
Roll20 for me, personally; it's not very good as far as a system, but I also refuse to pay for Fantasy Grounds.
>>
>>49858849
Anything that would take you seconds in Fantasy Grounds takes entire minutes in Roll20, the user interface is beyond encumbersome.
>>
>>49858686

Level 8, i have a pretty powerful manservant (haunted animated armor with ritual spellcasting), dimension shackles, reckon I could blow a couple of grand, and have the aid of a moderately leveled cleric, a tribe of elves, and the devastated city of Phlan, if I ask them for it.

I'm not in great standing with the Harpers, but if I take this to the party, I could also count on a pala. I would wish to avoid either
>>
Also, the Beholder stuff makes me happy, because the old I, Tyrant adventures are appearing in my upcoming campaign.
>>
>>49858849
Played all sorts of systems on roll20 without any problems.
>>
>>49858884
Yeah I was leaning towards fantasy grounds honestly. The fact that it supports 5e and will do fucking all of the work for me seems really really damn nice.

I know I'll get burned at the stake for saying I want the easy route here but the reason I'm considering this is because I work and have a busy life and all my friends moved to different cities. So a good online client that I don't have to wrestle with would be great. I was gonna run Out of the Abyss anyway since i don't have time to make campaigns from scratch anymore.
>>
>>49858923
Yeah, if I could afford Fantasy Grounds, I would in a heartbeat, because it just blows Roll20 out of the water.

But, alas, I am a poor waif and do not possess the means to purchase said convenience!
>>
>>49858923
Honestly they aren't even comparable, Roll20 doesn't have even a tenth of the features of Fantasy Grounds; I once played with a DM who wrote a module(?) that automatically detected if you could make a AoO.
>>
> Play Curse of Strahd campaign
> We go into the amber temple and find all of those vestiges
> One of them offers me the power to cast a Resurrection spell once - except as opposed to a simple Resurrection spell, this one doesn't care how long ago my target has died
> Accept without even thinking what I will spend this one Resurrection on
> Suddenly remember that there's this dead silver dragon in the adventure, who just happens to be Strahd's sworn enemy
>>
>>49858885
Yeah cause a level 9 spell imprisonment would do this perfectly.

You could gain one level, take dominate person, if she has imprisonment you could take her over and have her cast imprisonment on herself. Though the material components would be not easy to acquire. But that will do exactly what you want.

Otherwise just have your animated armor keep her under constant exhaustion until you finally deal with the cult yourself. But that is slowly stepping into grey areas of morality.
>>
>>49859025
>Though the material components would be not easy to acquire

uuhhhh....Prestidigitation
>>
How do you do traveling between areas in your campaigns esp when it concerns random encounters?

Do you let players roll per hex traveled? Or do you just give them a vague description of them traveling then letting them stop and roll to determine random encounter then afterwards say they arrived to their destination?
>>
>>49859025

I'm not sure waiting that long is an option

>>49858662

I'm a grieving widow.

Though in a pragmatic note, I'm the one who kicked her shit in so I don't see the DM allowing me to Stockholm syndrome her ass

But this is definitely Plan A.
>>
>>49859087
1 hour gametime = 6 hours travel time. If players don't make interesting enough travel conversation then BAM! - random encounter.
>>
>>49858871
I was wondering since my character have the sharpshooter feat, can I kite the bastard since i have range to 600 feet it have 120 for it eyes beam
>>
>be human rogue, hired by the Zhents to break into a noble's house in Neverwinter and steal the Golem's Heart
>bypass multiple security systems, avoid guards, disarm numerous traps, you are THIS CLOSE to finally getting the Golem's Heart
>suddenly a halfling thief in pajamas pops out of a nearby vent and gives you this look
>wat do?
>>
>>49859087
Usually I have somebody roll Survival, and the outcome determines how long the trip took, how close they stuck to the ideal path, and how well they avoided dangerous areas. A really good roll means they get there at the time suggested by their travel pace, either with no random encounters or with an easier encounter that they may be able to circumvent. A bad roll means they veer far off course and the trip takes days longer than they thought, with one or more nasty encounters and possibly other travel hazards like getting sick from drinking bad water or foraging poisonous food.
>>
>>49859144
You definitely will keep it going, but it will not be caught dead in an open field like that. It knows how slow it is. So it's gonna want to keep you between 30 and a 100 feet.

If you can get a beholder out in a huge field like that then yeah you could definitely kite it for more than a few turns and do a ton of damage. But it would probably go for cover rather than chase you across an open field.
>>
>>49859199
Roll initiative and go for the jugular
>>
>>49857172
>>49857201
Minor conjuration would only be able to make a small piece of clothing and you could only keep one up at a time unfortunately.

It can't even create items that deal damage anymore if my copy of the PHB is to be believed.
>>
>>49859199
I don't know, rob them?
>>
>>49859199
Place my hand on it's face and slowly and silently push it back into the vent
>>
>>49859225
>a small piece of clothing and you could only keep one up at a time
That sounds like the perfect lewd dress though.
>>
File: 1475179509470.jpg (8KB, 140x80px) Image search: [Google]
1475179509470.jpg
8KB, 140x80px
>>49859237
>>49859244
a-and then wat
>>
>>49859263
Get the Golem's Heart, probably.
>>
>>49859277
oh, ok
>>
>>49859225
Your copy of the phb is not to be believed. You can summon damage dealing items like axes, alchemist fire, and dynamite, if you've seen the items before.

But if the items take damage, they disappear.
>>
>>49859102
Ask your DM then if you can revivify, but instead of put the soul back in the person's body you can put it in a catalyst. Something that will hold the soul and not allow speak with dead spells to work, cause the soul hasn't passed on, but honestly the spells that do this stuff are way out of your reach other than that.
>>
>>49859203

Do you give visual aids to this like hex maps or just let them play it in their head? I'm still unsure whether to throw a hex map their way and let them draw as they go but at the same time, I feel hex maps might slow the pace of the session so sometimes I feel I should omit it and do a simple "roll for an encounter - okay - so you travel across plains and hillside areas only to rest under a tree. The bard sings a song the party goes along with before continuing on. Other than that, nothing happens and you've reached your destination"

I honestly feel like I'm in a limbo in what to do with traveling. I want to make it feel like it's a big deal in itself but at the same time, I don't want it to bog down much of the adventure. There are times I just say they've reached the city after 6 hours travel and rolling behind the screen without consequences which leaves a sour taste in my mouth. My players seem to not mind but I wanna let them feel that there is a journey to explore than just mere "Point A to Point B" stuff.
>>
File: 1b5.jpg (35KB, 293x636px) Image search: [Google]
1b5.jpg
35KB, 293x636px
>>49859295
>alchemist fire, and dynamite
Not again.
>>
>>49859327
If their goal is to get to the next place and there's nothing interesting to do on the way then just skip it. Nobody cares, travelling is monotonous
>>
>>49859295
Can I summon a friend? I'm really lonely...
>>
>>49859295
>>49859332
>summon alchemist's flask
>throw alchemist's flask
>alchemist's flask hits surface, takes damage, stops existing before it can have any effect
Seems fine to me
>>
>>49859359
>taking damage without a rule

It's absurd to think an item takes damage when used as the PHB describes, when the PHB doesn't say it takes damage when used that way.

Also a really arbitrary way to nerf player creativity by banning them from doing less damage than a leveled cantrip.

BAD DM. BAD.
>>
>>49859359
Unless you catapult it
>>
Any clever way for my party wizard to get a Pseudodragon as a familiar? I know he's gonna try to roll for Animal Handling or some Charisma check to get its good graces but I want to test his arcane skills to get it on his good side and become his loyal familiar.
>>
>>49855399
Can power creep really exist in a non competitive game?
>>
File: IMAG1361.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1361.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>49859295
That's what the PDF says but my copy says something else...
>>
File: 1466122380084.jpg (19KB, 314x353px) Image search: [Google]
1466122380084.jpg
19KB, 314x353px
>>49859397
>The bottle breaks open without taking damage
>The alchemist's fire goes through a chemical reaction when exposed to air and combusts...without taking damage
>>
>>49859424
>damage has any meaning outside of strict definitions.

Come on anon. You're just making rules up to stop a player from dealing 1d4 ongoing damage on a DC 10 dexterity save to stop.

You're retarded if you think this is a problem.
>>
>>49859358
If you hurt them though they disappear.

Like real life.
>>
>>49859311

Yeah, "out of my league" seems to be the theme.

I actually have just the spell to do that, that I stole off a necromancer, but alas, the soul has to be willing.
>>
File: 1473554022704.gif (263KB, 319x255px) Image search: [Google]
1473554022704.gif
263KB, 319x255px
>>49859441
>>
>>49859413
Have it eat your familiar, so the spirit within the critter passes to him
>>
>>49859442
You're a Bard

MAKE them willing
>>
>>49855399
any significant firbolgs in d&d lore?
>>
>>49859435
Not to mention, over two actions. While the player is conjuring and using alchemist fire, they could have cast fire bolt twice and dealt on average 4 times as much instant damage in those two turns, at level 2. The damage disparity only increases as the player gains levels.
>>
>>49855399
>where were you the day 5e started to power creep?

Dunno, when were the Aarakocra released?
>>
>>49859413
A pseudodragon is smarter than your average adventurer's league character, it wouldn't be an animal handling check in my book.

Giving it gifts or helping it with something can win its favor though. Arcana to impress them with a magical answer, and persuasion check to come join the wizard.
>>
>>49859416
imagine an sub race for dwarfs that, inexplicably, gives it a total of +3 strength and +3 con, but is otherwise identical to a mountain dwarf. that said, firbolgs aren't power creep, they're just extremely interesting and fun
>>
>>49859495
I mean, they are literally banned from adventurers league
>>
>>49859416
Sure. For example Firbolgs completely invalidate minotaurs.
>>
>>49859532
I don't know what that is
>>
File: 1459697765696.png (309KB, 306x531px) Image search: [Google]
1459697765696.png
309KB, 306x531px
>>49859563
...what?
First off, there are no official Minotaur releases. UA isn't finished material.
Secondly, they give completely different features past similar ASI. Minotaurs have a natural weapon and some shoving shenanigans, Firbolgs have fey spells.
>>
>>49859577
Organized D&D played at stores. It's what I play because I could never get my friends into D&D.

It's probably only banned because it can fly at level one.
>>
>>49859416
Uh, Yes. What kind of question is that?
>>
>>49859577
It's complicated. It's a system wizards of the coast has where if you abide to certain character building rules, you can bring that character to any adventurer's league game and play. DMs can hand out magical item slips and you can bring those slips to further games. I was playing in one and one guy had a +1 Rod of the Pact Keeper slip with his Warlock/Monk character and the DM was fine with it and we were like level 5.
>>
>>49859397
>>49859435
It's absurd to think this LEVEL 2 utility power is intended to be used to summon damaging items, up to and including fucking dynamite.

By 'inanimate object' it means cups, pots, pans, buckets, hammers, crowbars, files, a stool, a small crate, MAYBE a dagger. 'Inert' things. I don't know how I'd even rule about summoning things like lamps and light sources, but even that I'd lean towards no. As for clearly magical or 'active' items like alchemist's fire, flasks of acid, dynamite - no way.

And there's plenty of ways to be creative with this anyway. Maybe you need an object with a specific shape. Maybe there's a broken chain, and you conjure a link between the two halves. Maybe you need to show someone what something looks like so you summon a copy of it. Maybe there's a key you need to get in to somewhere, so rather than steal it and raise suspicion you get a look at the key and summon it later. Summoning copies of alchemical items isn't even an actually creative use anyway, you're just trying to be allowed to use them without paying for them or carrying them around.
>>
>>49857109
>prestidigitation to create keys to locks that I've either memorized with keen mind, or probed sufficiently to guess the shape (intelligence based thieves tool check, with any long narrow object being used as the thieves tool)
You create a nonmagical trinket. A key is not a trinket, but okay.

>Silent Image of an archway through a wall to the other side, illusory reality to make it real and step through, then canceling the illusion at the last moment to make pursuing enemies wil e coyote themselves into a wall.
You create an illusion of an object, creature, or other visible phenomena. You do not create an image of nothing. That's invisibility, a different spell.

>Mirage Arcane to reshape the land to be 10 feet lower, then level 6 illusion wizard feature to change it to be 10 feet higher, burying everyone in the square mile alive.
That isn't even on the list of what Mirage Arcane can do.

>Creation to create a stone statue which lasts a day, giving as a gift to a king, then using the level 6 illusion feature to turn it into gunpowder when he is inspecting it, and create bonfire to ignite it.
Stone lasts 12 hours, gunpowder has to be in a container to explode, a keg of gunpowder only does 7d6 damage, less than a fireball. Just fireball the king. Lastly, you can't create a bonfire inside a pile of gunpowder. It has to be in open ground, so you'd have to ignite it with Fire Bolt.

I don't even care that I'm being trolled.
>>
>>49859417
Wow. Errata update when?
>>
>>49859513
I don't know if that's an apt comparison. A firbolg is its own entity with its own RP style that you might want to play or not. If you're already set on playing a dwarf (or not playing a dwarf) then the extra STR/CON doesn't matter.
>>49859563
Are there official minotaur rules? Regardless, you're talking about rules differences not character differences. People should and will play what type of character they want, and they should, because D&D is not a competitive game and thus relative power between races/classes/etc shouldn't matter so long as each option gives you a unique RP angle and enough variability to stand out from other options.
>>
>>49856969
Dip into monk.
Nets you nice survivability.
If you go shadow it makes you into a teleporting panda.
>>
>>49859621
Even if it could summon dynamite, it couldn't deal damage as seen in >>49859417
>>
>>49859618
But D&D isn't about players vs DMs, so power doesn't matter. So how can power creep be a thing if power is irrelevant?
>>
>>49859697
So you could summon a net. Unless your rogue throws it and does a sneak attack, it won't deal any damage.
>>
>>49859413
This is a situation for RP. Read the pseudodragon entry in the MM
>>
>>49859563
Not for people who want to play minotaurs
>>
>entire party has been fucking my character over because reasons
>will soon have the opportunity to fuck them over hard because alignment and traits
it's going to feel nice
>>
>>49856222
>>49856102
>>49855754
>>49855399

I think most of us are kind of upset by the fact that this race isn't Large.
>>
>>49859623
>prestidigitation
keys are trinkets. See the trinket table.

>silent image
you're right. Might have been major image.

>mirage arcane
It absolutely is. Mirage arcane lets you alter the terrain so long as the general shape of it remains the same. Notably, you can turn an open field into a crevasse. Altering the terrain by lowering it retains the general shape. Additionally, even if you rule against it, You can just take it one huge crevasse at a time, and still bury everyone alive eventually.

>creation
fireball can be counterspelled by the king's wizards. Create bonfire can be cast on occupied spaces. IIRC, we were burning an effigy of the king for his benefit, and he was igniting it.
>>
>>49855804
Are you stupid?
>>
>>49859712
You weren't around when every Fighter used a Spiked Chain were you? people don't want that kind of pigeon holing to happen again.
>>
>>49859417
Interesting. Also lame. Is this a misprint, or an update?

>>49859621
>lean towards no

Opinion discarded, shit DM. I was once like yourself, anytime a player tried to use creativity to deal damage, I "leaned towards no". Then I realized that was just killing the incentives for creativity, resulting in boring combat, etc, etc.
>>
>>49859506

Yeah, my PC has like background that he pursues knowledge so I'm devising like some kind of arcane test from the pseudodragon that test his findings so far in the campaign. Gonna dig out the campaign journal to go over his recent findings in the past year.

>>49859733

Currently reading it. It looks all good. Though would it be fair to have it that I can make some wizarding ritual that allows the Pseudodragon to have the perks of a familiar? Cause I want the Wizard to be able to put it in the pocket dimension that familiars from the Find Familiar spell

I might take the >>49859459 bit this anon suggested but probably do something more - er- noble? Maybe have it eat the charcoal or some shit. But fuck, it's magic it won't explain shit.
>>
>>49859810
Isn't there literally no reason to use any two handed weapon other than a polearm in 5e?
>>
>>49859712
No but if one character is too powerful its less fun for some players. 3.5 was awful if you weren't a caster
>>
>>49859697
Uh, no. That ability says it disappears if it deals damage. meaning, after you've dealt damage with your dynamite, the dynamite disappears.
>>
>>49859882
Or when it takes damage, such as when you ignite the fuse.
__________:^)______________
>>
>>49859895
igniting the fuse doesn't deal damage to the dynamite though, unless you ignite it with firebolt, or a similar spell which deals damage.
>>
>>49859724
I guess that would work.

>>49859829
I ordered it a month ago so I guess it's an update. I can't find anything about an errata online though.
>>
>>49859919
igniting yourself doesn't deal damage, unless you ignite it with firebolt, or a similar spell which deals damage.
>>
>>49859835
I'd let it fly honestly make a good session for the group out of it and it should be all good. It could also depend on your DM. Whenever one person in my group wants something special I try to at least try to give the others something to make it worth their while
>>
>>49859925
>I can't find anything about an errata online though.
u didn't look then
>>
>>49859836
The Maul is the best two-handed weapon.
>>
>>49859836
Higher damage from a maul or greatsword, especially with GWF fighting style. Reduced reach means that enemies provoke attacks by leaving the 5 foot area around you instead of 10.
>>
>>49859944
>best two handed weapon
>can't even damage a net golem
>>
>>49859932
right, putting your hand over a burning match doesn't hurt enough to deal damage to the heroic archetypes you're playing as.
>>
i miss my mother's vagina
>>
File: 56656-3-1407617550.jpg (256KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
56656-3-1407617550.jpg
256KB, 1280x1024px
>>49859974
Look ma, no damage!
>>
>>49859925
There's errata in the mega links in the OP
>>
>>49859836
f-flavor
>>
Does anyone know how many new playable races there will be in Volo's? I read on the Wizards site that orcs, goblins, and of course the newly shown-off firbolgs will be races, but what are the chances that they put in the playable races from the UAs into the book? Like, a fully official Warforged or Goliath. Obviously the UA are official, but not fully done (like how they edited Ranger like twice before the final revision).
>>
>>49859992
>catastrophic burns related to tragic backstory
>the same as lighting a fuse meant to be lit with a match

Come on anon, you're just getting silly. For the life of me, I don't get why a DM would go to such lengths to say no to a player trying to engage in your world and the system.
>>
>>49859989
Me too son
>>
>>49860009
Warforged are from Eberron with no place in FR, and Goliaths are fully official. EEPC is a published item.
>>
>>49860009
Goliaths are already fully official. We're also going to be seeing Aasimar, and hopefully kobolds as well.
>>
File: 1475609878452.jpg (103KB, 592x739px) Image search: [Google]
1475609878452.jpg
103KB, 592x739px
>>49860022
>a player trying to engage in your world and the system
>"lol I invent dynamite and throw it at everything for free"
>>
>>49856628
kick the faggot
>>
>>49860054
>>49860072

Okay. I'm still really new to most of this, and have trouble remembering where everything comes from.

Also forgot Goliaths came from the EEPC, I could have sworn it was from a UA.
>>
>>49860075
see >>49857891

Inventing dynamite wouldn't come for free.
>>
File: [admonishing intensifies].png (579KB, 857x442px) Image search: [Google]
[admonishing intensifies].png
579KB, 857x442px
>>49856933
>A corpse is an object by D&D rules

Not true.
>>
>>49860090
>>49860009

Also Tabaxi, Kenku, and Tritons have been confirmed.
>>
>>49860138
These two posts referenced have the same digits, just with the 9 moved.

inb4 autism
>>
>>49860154
le grand autismo
>>
File: Kobold Fighter.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Kobold Fighter.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49858763
>>49858705
>>49858658
>>49858646
>>49858607
>>49858601
This is the companion I mustered up for him if he accepts, what do you think?
>>
>>49856925
>rape and slavery spells

You know how I know you're a millennial and a faggot?
>>
>>49860183
Because you're in your thirties and still jacking off to rape fantasies the 80s taught you were ok?
>>
>>49859993
>>49859941
You've actually made me look again but there's nothing in there on Minor Conjuration.
>>
>>49860138
Awesome. All I know from that is Kenku (the crow race, am I right?), but the more options for my players and myself, the better.
>>
>>49860198
>rape fantasies
>80s
Everybody knows Games of Thrones invented rape m8

nice try though.
>>
>>49859663
no I was making the point that if mountains dwarves+1 came out they would, in fact, be power creep over phb mountain dwarves. like yes, it's non competative, but if released later in a products life cycle are just inexplicably better than those early on... well, you get the idea.

I DONT however think firbolgs are an example of that. they're quantifiable with, say, wood elves. they have three languages, tons of short rest powers which are mostly minor or rp related, a better lift capacity, and a +2 and +1 attribute boost. without any starting skill profs, or anything else, they're not an automatic pick. they're not gonna replace any phb race but they're an interesting pick, like half orks, tieflings, and gnomes. they are however a lot better than goliaths.
>>
>>49860223
Yeah, Kenku are weird crows that communicate through hand signals and mimicry. Tabaxi are weird jaguar people from 2e, and Tritons are merfolk but with legs.
>>
>>49855399
I take back what I said here.
where were you when you realized firbolgs are the ultimate boyfriends? when did you realize you wanted to feel there fuzzy arms cradling you?
>>
>>49860262
I'm not one for cat people, but god damn I'm liking the list of playable races.

Maybe I'll play something other than dragonborn for once.
>>
>Kenku

Weren't they the compulsive thieves who existed solely to piss people off in 3e?
>>
>>49860205
>You've actually made me look again but there's nothing in there on Minor Conjuration.
Sage Advice, my dear brother
>>
>>49860183
>implying that hasn't been debated long before

>>49856925
The only good use of necromancy is healing and divination-lite, deal with it.
>>
>>49860281
Kender were invented in 1e, newfag
>>
>>49860314
>Kender

That's the fuckers
>>
File: 1476301854966.gif (2MB, 626x348px) Image search: [Google]
1476301854966.gif
2MB, 626x348px
>>49857914
Never
>>
>>49860297
>What do you mean raising meat puppets powered by negative emotions is frowned upon
>>
>>49860072
Lizardfolk please dear god i just want some not shit lizards please please please.
>>
File: 1476276638328.gif (207KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476276638328.gif
207KB, 500x500px
>>49860326
Ever

My skellie folder needs sustenance.
>>
>>49860297
It's been debated long before you were born, kid.

You're still a millennial cock-sucker, though.
>>
>>49860205
Meh i didn't know what you guys were talking about i just saw you couldn't find errata.
>>
>>49860198
I hope you get raped so hard your pelvic bone breaks :)
>>
>>49860356
Mike Mearls was talking at one point about how they were struggling with lizardfolk and how they have almost no emotions and whatnot. Hopefully they'll be in there.
>>
>>49860282
Not him but i just opened the sage advice pdf from OP and ctrl+f couldn't find minor conjuration either. Is there a more recent one somehwere?
>>
>>49860456
Well at least they thought about them. I pray twice as hard.
>>
>>49860472
Their formatting is weird, search doesn't recognise a lot of letters. Try just minor
>>
>>49860483
I'll pray with you fampai
>>
>>49860551
Consider me down for the lizardfolk pray circle.

If that doesn't work, we can just circle jerk ourselves into believing that they're in.
>>
>>49860426
So are you.
>>
>>49860571
>consolation prize is mutual masturbation with /tg/

I think I'm out
>>
>>49860642
You can't leave. This place is a sphere of annihilation; once you take your first step in your life as you know it is forfeit.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (92KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
92KB, 900x900px
>>49860578
>>
>>49855369
Thread dying, need new one.
>>
>>49860734
Alright, everyone, get in here.
>>
>>49858637
Kill her, body in bag of holding, carry it with you
>>
>>49858076
Not worth it over a one level Dragon Sorcerer dip (nets you Free unarmoured 18 AC, 4 cantrips and 2 slots to cast shield with).

You need decent invocations and the lvl3 feature for a warlock multiclass to work.

If you really want a warlock I suggest a Fey Chain pact since the familiar lets you sneak attack every single turn.
>>
>>49859789
devs disagree with mirage arcane being used to "make" empty spaces like holes real, it's for making things not making nothingness
>>
>>49859836
GWF
>>
>>49859829
There's creativity and there's wilfully misinterpreting the spirit of a level 2 utility power to give you an unlimited supply of damage items, including things not even specified in the game.
>>
Our DM has outlawed Monks... After I made my character. Are they really that OP?
>>
>>49861085
No. But someone's punch being able to do the same damage as actual weapons, even accounting for magic, might not fit with your DM's setting or campaign.
>>
>Ranged Battlemaster
>Hit foe with an arrow
>He gets pushed back 15 ft
???
>>
>>49861210
Yes.
>>
>>49861210
Shot him somewhere that startled him or injured him in a way that makes him stumble back?

Doing that five times in a row on your turn though, that's the real trick.
>>
>>49861215
>>49861240
Okay, let's say I'm fighting a small tree, rooted into the ground, animated by magic. Can I shove it X*15 ft to replant it somewhere else?
>>
>>49859919
The fuse actually burns away. Youre a godamn retard if you seriously dont believe something being completly burned away hurts it.
>>
>>49859470

>"Roll Charisma and add your Stockholm Syndrome proficiency, which I believe you expertised, right? "
>>
File: fuk this gay plane of existance.jpg (455KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
fuk this gay plane of existance.jpg
455KB, 1536x1024px
>be giant bear
>want to scare tiny enemy
>roll to intimidate
>have to use charisma
>have to persuade enemy to be afraid of me but have shitty base charisma so fail
>dm won't let me roll to eat
>>
I'm making a Paladin Warlock

I've found that using a melee weapon is pretty pointless with EB being a thing, but I still want to be a frontliner. Going Dex with medium armor and a shield

Is there a way to get rid of the disadvantage at 5ft ranged thing?
>>
>>49861340
Yes
>>
>>49861340
Things like that would probably have rules that prevent them being shoved or force-moved
Thread posts: 402
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.