[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 336
Thread images: 34

File: Glorious Illustration.png (1MB, 793x1044px) Image search: [Google]
Glorious Illustration.png
1MB, 793x1044px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previous thread:
>>49860734

Even though the Firbolg aren't a Large race, Volo's Guide to Monsters is looking to be a pretty great book. Most of the artwork is pretty solid.
>>
>>49866682
>Then why take Paladin at all?
Better HP, save proficiency, and weapon and armor proficiency I'd guess. Plus you can use your pact magic slots to smite, so you can smite a LOT (provided adequate short rests of course). It also helps out bladelocks quite a bit.

>>49866681
>Even though the Firbolg aren't a Large race
I feel like WotC learned their lesson re: large races and the 3.5 version of powerful build. The 5e version isn't terrible, at least.
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
>>49866681
Any advice on how to make traveling in the wilderness interesting? I don't want every session to be a quick travel between places and I feel like random encounters will get old eventually
>>
>>49866720
Make random encounters more than 'here's a wandering monster'. Other travelers, interparty conflict (to an extent), inclement or supernatural weather (forcing the party to take shelter in a ruin that may or may not be a side dungeon), that sort of thing.
>>
>>49866716

>you can smite A LOT

how many spell slots do you get per short rest as a warlock? not more than 5, IIRC. You'll get more smites by just sticking with Paladin, along with better HP, better saves all around, as well as a host of other benefits.

I feel like with some classes you really have to be in it for the long haul when it comes to multi-classing.
>>
>>49866720
No. The wilderness is just the pre-industrial Freeway toward the interesting area and only exists because the technology to pave over it doesn't exist yet.
>>
Does anyone have the story of the cleric who was an undertaker as a family trade and he constantly talked with spirits of his family and people. It was really touching.
>>
>>49866757
>5 5th-level slots per short rest vs. 2 5th level slots per day
You get higher level slots a lot earlier too. Paladins do have the advantage on TOTAL slots per average adventuring day, that I'll grant you.
>>
File: Nineteen Eyes, Somehow.png (1MB, 800x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Nineteen Eyes, Somehow.png
1MB, 800x1054px
>>49866720
Describe the occasional landmark, describe why the monster is there. Hell, use the Storm King's Thunder random encounter table in addition to the one presented in the DMG. There's some good stuff in there, like deer with golden antlers, and detailed stats for barbarian shamans of various tribes in the appendix.

Remember, not every random encounter has to be combat. But every encounter should have something memorable about it.
>>
Anons, I wanted to ask: if you wanted to play an "Unmortal" character, like the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment, would slapping on the Relentless racial trait (regenerate 1hp/round whilst below 50% max hp, automatically resurrect 1 day after death) sound both believable and balanced to you?

>>49866681
>>49866716
In all honesty, the "Medium with Powerful Build" thing also ensures that DMs don't need to worry about the party being too big to reasonably fit into standard locations and so not being able to adventure properly, so I can kind of understand why they're going with "Medium with Powerful Build" as the standard for "Large PCs".
>>
>>49866784

I'd rather take the higher level slots per day. Keep in mind too, that Smite damage only scales to 4th level slots and Paladins get some really nifty 5th level spells. You're also missing out on the extra d8 on every hit too.
>>
>>49866822
> You're also missing out on the extra d8 on every hit too.
That's what Lifedrinker is for. The rest of your post is valid, though.

Either way, Palalock probably isn't any less viable than straight Paladin or Warlock.
>>
>>49866757
Warlock offers higher quality smites more often. A paladin can only smite at fifth level once per long rest at level 17.

At 20th level, a paladin can deliver 41 total levels of smite.

Assuming 2 short rests per long rest (official guidelines IIRC), you get 45 total levels of smite at level 14 (warlock 12, paladin 2), just from warlock spell slots.

The warlock/paladin can't smite as often as a pure paladin, but it'll deal more damage over the course of a standard adventuring day.
>>
DM Question about CR and character optimisation:

How well does the Challenge Rating system scale when your characters aren't optimised?

I've DMed for people with optimised characters using point buy, and I'm about to DM for people with shitty rolled characters.

With that in mind, will the game be super difficult in comparison? Does the CR system assume the players are competent, strategic, with optimised characters, or is it based on middle of the road characters smacking things?
>>
>>49866844

I just think if you're going to do it you should commit to the Paladin side and you'll probably wind up stronger.

Honestly, you'll probably also wind up helping your party more with your super auras.

>>49866862

Smite stops scaling at 4th level.
>>
File: Mae.jpg (33KB, 246x430px) Image search: [Google]
Mae.jpg
33KB, 246x430px
>>49866801
That's why they should just make an inbetween size for quadripedal races so that they take up a 1x2 space and still have a large size rating.
>>
File: Horrible Eye Tadpole.png (1MB, 800x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Horrible Eye Tadpole.png
1MB, 800x1054px
This illustration from Volo's Guide upsets me.
>>
>>49866888
The CR and encounter systems assume characters of average skill and average luck. And the difference between that level and being "optimized" isn't so extreme that it's thrown off by a huge amount.
>>
Undying Light Warlock

what would be a fitting chain pact familiar?
>>
>>49866889
Does it now? The paragraph says:

The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than the 1st to a maximum of 5d8.

i was always interpreting this as the max spell slot scaling damage was 5d8, so it would cap off at 6. It doesn't make sense to give a paladin level 5 spell slots, plus 1d8 extra damage with improve divine smite, if you're just going to cap it below that anyways. Using my interpretation, a paladin does 2d8+4d8 for a 5th level spell+1d8 for improved divine smite, which neatly works out to the 2d8+5d8 cap. With the other interpretation half of the paladin's spell slots are wasted if smited after level 11.

Either way though, the warlock is still superior.

Using your interpretation, The paladin can deliver 39 total smite spell slot levels at level 20.

Using your interpretation the warlock/paladin can deliver 44 smite levels at level 19, using paladin 2/warlock 17, and the 2 spell slots granted by the paladin.
>>
>>49867032
ur mum
>>
>>49866911
My homebrew taurs all include a racial trait that amounts to "you have Powerful Build but you also take up space as if you were Large".
>>
>>49867032
anything. Familiars aren't necessarily envoys of your patron's spirit animal. they can be formless spirits given form by your magic.
>>
>>49867039

1st level: 2d8
2nd level: 3d8
3rd level: 4d8
4th level: 5d8

You get the edge on smites if you continually get short rests (not an unreasonable assumption), but you're worse in melee because you have worse HP, your saves are worse, and you can't heal nearly as much, as well as missing out on the really fantastic 5th level paladin spells.
>>
>>49867039
>>49867098

Missed this part but the reason (imo) that it caps at level 4 is because it encourages you to use your level 5 spell slots on other things. You can use them to smite if you really want to, but it's not the default for damage and you can use them on spells like banishing smite or destructive wave.
>>
When/where can I get Volo 's guide in pdf
>>
>>49867151
It's not out til the 4th in WPN stores, the 15th everywhere else.

You'll have to wait, anon.
>>
>>49867151
Gotta wait till November release, then hope some posts a link.
>>
>>49867204
>>49867211
The wait is suffering.
>>
>>49866989
Sexy.
>>
>>49866681
Where is that from, Satan?
>>
Are any of the Vryloka conversions good?
>>
>>49867316
It's one of the Volo's Guide previews you can find up now; it's what happens when an illithid cerebromorphs a beholder, something unique to this edition.

Actually, anyone else noticed that beholders got really prone to spontaneous mutation in this edition?
>>
>>49867316
One of six preview pages from Volos guide , several of which cover mindflayers and mindflayers accessories I tell you what.
>>
>>49867359
A bit, they're playing that up in the art because traditionally in past editions every beholder was visually unique and these fuckers hate anything different from themselves, so bad times ahead.

But I am okay with that after they made their iconic scaled beholder in 4E, never really liked that design.
>>
Is Paladin Bladelock multiclass any good? Are there any good pacts for Paladins of Vengeance multiclassing into Warlock, both in terms of mechanical benefit and flavor? I sort of like the thought of a Paladin somehow gaining demonic power to use against other evil things, but I'm not sure how to do it right.
>>
>>49867477
Just do tomelock instead of bladelock
>>
>>49867477
of the sub fifty posts itt like half are about paladin warlock multiclassing.

read
>>
>>49867477
is it just me, or is this asked in every single 5eg?

Yes, paladin bladelock is good. Yes, there are pacts for multiclassing Paladin into Bladelock(see if your DM will let you use Undying Light fron UA The Faithful, because that one especially works).
>>
>>49867098
>>49867133
IMO the warlock gets a better 5th level spell than the paladin in Hold Monster. And I don't think I buy your interpretation. it just makes way more sense for the paladin's smite to max out at the highest spell level a paladin could cast.
>>
>>49867529
>Undying Light

What exactly would that +CHA on fire/radiant apply to

smites? because if so that's pretty wild
>>
>>49867529
warlocks and paladins are just the most well designed classes in the game. it can't be helped that multiclassing them would prove really popular.
>>
>>49867547
>IMO the warlock gets a better 5th level spell than the paladin in Hold Monster.

you consider Hold Monster better than Destructive Wave?
>>
>>49867563
Smite, both targets of GFB.
>>
>>49867582
It's not "whenever you deal radiant or fire"

it's "whenever you cast a spell that deals radiant or fire"

I don't think the straight 2d8 radiant smite is actually "casting a spell". If it was, you couldn't make extra attacks after.

Searing Smite would apply the CHA to damage though, you are casting a spell that deals fire damage

both targets of GFB seems iffy and more than a bit cheesy. The first target sure, I don't think it would apply to the second.

Remember how they said drac sorcs can't apply their CHA mod to each ray of Scorching Ray? same thing
>>
>>49867529
sorry, not The Faithful, it's UA Light, Dark, Underdark!.

>>49867563
>>49867582
>whenever you cast a spell that deals radiant or fire damage

Smite isn't a spell. Searing Smite / Blinding Smite / Staggering Smite / Banishing Smite are spells, but of those, only Searing Smite and Blinding Smite do the proper type of damage. Banishing and Staggering do Force and Psychic, respectively.
>>
>>49866681
Can you tame a Mindwitness?
>>
>>49867658
As long as you have telepathy and remove it from its connection to its previous masters, yeah, sure
>>
>>49867658
Probably only if they bring back Alienist, introduce an abberant sorcerer origin, or do something with factions and cults in the official Eberron release. Worth a shot, though.
>>
>>49867581
destructive wave is a slightly better fireball. Hold monster drastically accellerates damage on some of the most dangerous creatures in DnD.
>>
>>49867658
>>49867683

...I just remembered that there's actually a halfling sub-race that gets telepathy, so technically if you were playing one, you could indeed tame a "free" mindwitness.
>>
>>49867726
A GOO warlock gets it too, so you don't even need to go outside the PHB
>>
>>49867726
At best it could really only be described as really weak telepathy, but the idea of a halfling town hiding a beholder server in someone's basement is kind of funny
>>
>>49867529
Yes, this in particular is excellent advice, now where do I find some sort of fishfolk race?
>>
>>49867703
>destructive wave is a slightly better fireball.

it's a thirty foot radius cone that also knocks enemies prone, while dealing two different types (one of which you choose) that are both less resisted than fire

on a class that doesn't get fireball

vs a spell that does nothing if they save, and gives a chance at saving out of every turn
>>
>>49867359
>>49867416
Cheers, fine gentlemen.
>>
>>49867547

and it makes 0 sense in your interpretation that a paladin's smite maxes out at a level they cannot even get to without multiclassing, which is a variant rule in the first place.
>>
>>49867766
Fiend warlocks actually do get fireball.

But really, hold monster is so much better, because of how much damage a party can do to a held monster. it's a bit riskier sure, but the reward is far greater.

>>49867779
?

Smite caps at 5d8 "extra" damage. Improved divine smite adds 1d8 "extra" damage to all attacks, or if smiting, to the extra damage smite deals. If the 2d8 is base, and the 5d8 max only applies to increased spell slot levels used, then a pure paladin is able to reach the damage cap. 2d8 base smite, 4d8 for a fifth level slot used, and 1d8 for divine smite.

you either need to read my posts again, or the book again, likely both.
>>
>>49866911
what game is she from?
>>
>>49867765
zendikar
>>
>>49867819
>>49867819

>"extra" damage.

Yes. Including the "extra" 2d8 damage you get from the level 1 spell slot. The "extra" damage from the divine smite caps out at 5d8 damage when you use a 4th level spell slot. You can use a 9th level spell slot if you've got one, but it'll only deal 5d8 total damage.

>or if smiting, to the extra damage smite deals

this is a dumb, and pointless distinction. you're not getting the regular divine smite damage unless you're getting the improved divine smite damage because you're getting improv. divine smite damage all the time anyways.

also note that improved divine smite doesn't count towards the cap of 5d8 with regular divine smite because it isn't divine smite, it's "improved divine smite".
>>
>>49867872
you're just repeating your interpretation at me, which isn't helpful. my argument is that it makes no sense for damage to be capped for a paladin to 4th level spell slots, when they get 5th level slots, and the fact that it neatly works out with my interpretation is suggestive that it is the correct one. you can repeat yourself all day, but unless you add something new, you're not going to convince me.
>>
File: 1442292430301.gif (474KB, 320x251px) Image search: [Google]
1442292430301.gif
474KB, 320x251px
>>49867835
>Not recognizing Shining Force
>>
What is the best way a Paladin and a Fighter have synergy together in combat?
>>
>>49867890

>my argument is that it makes no sense for them to be capped out at 4th level

it makes less sense for them to be capped at 6th level when they cannot even get 6th level spell slots.

>and the fact that it neatly works out with my interpretation is suggestive that it is the correct one

no it doesn't. you're just incredibly deluded or retarded, and possibly both. the wording on the divine smite feature clearly says it's 2d8-5d8 damage total, based on the spell slot used. it's consistent with how other maximum damages works too.
>>
File: This Image is Not a Mimic.png (240KB, 430x479px) Image search: [Google]
This Image is Not a Mimic.png
240KB, 430x479px
>Playing murder hobos extraordinare
>Decide I want to roll up a new character
>Make healslut support-bot
>Realize I'm actually supporting less now because I used to be DPS
>We're now doing so little damage that we can't burst down priorities
What have I done.
>>
>>49866681

> have been known to ally with flumphs
>>
>>49867903
One takes Sentinel and Protector fighting style, the other takes Great Weapon Fighter. They stand next to each other at all times.
>>
>>49867903

break your oath and have the fighter transform into a fiend
>>
>>49867903
Ancients paladin + Battle master.
Stand next to eachother.
Enjoy extra smite chances via commanders strike, and auras for everything. Also, shield master/trip attack for granting advantage for beat downs.
>>
File: 1476834151654.jpg (43KB, 391x515px) Image search: [Google]
1476834151654.jpg
43KB, 391x515px
Are there any cool/useful feats for Wizards? I currently have War Caster, but don't think anything else is useful. Maybe Spell sniper, but i'm illusion based.
>>
>>49867890

and just in case whatever bullshit i'm saying isn't enough for you:

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/17/which-is-correct-about-the-cap-of-paladin-divine-smite/
>>
>>49867999
actor, alert, alchemist
>>
File: 1434699983888.gif (500KB, 215x219px) Image search: [Google]
1434699983888.gif
500KB, 215x219px
>>49868024
No alchemist feat in phb?

I'm not the talker of the group so actor is a waste.

Alert seems alright for the initiative, but seems to be out shined.
>>
I'm making a paladin, debating if I should go half elf or variant human

half elf obviously gets all the good shit half elf gets, variant human I'd take shield master, which sounds like fun.

knocking down/pushing enemies around with my bonus action is neat and so is all the other stuff.
>>
>>49867726
>>49867695
>>49867683
But it's alignment is Lawful Evil. Why would it ever align with a non-Evil telepath?
>>
>>49868079
Read the lore on the preview page. Once they're separated from an elder brain, they will attach to anything with psychic ability and change their views and alignment to match.
>>
>>49868122
But does that mean the instant they get detached they have no alignment? Doesn't that mean they shouldn't be intelligent at all, have an Int of 1 or something?
>>
>>49867032
A shiny white pseudo-Dragon.
You are welcome.
Praise the Sun!
>>
>>49868132
considering they have no problem working with flumphs it's safe to say they have no hang ups with alignment differences as soon as they aren't linked to anything. A different set of priorities isn't the same as 1 int
>>
File: 1459221413360.jpg (269KB, 1200x776px) Image search: [Google]
1459221413360.jpg
269KB, 1200x776px
So i'm thinking about running a game about Vecna taking over all of the planes and having my pc's either be his generals or being the resistance and trying to stop him. i like to think about the undead in tiers though. the way i see it it's...

Lich (leader)- only needs energy to sustain himself, can came back through phylacteries
Vamps (generals)- needs blood, weak to sunlight, can come back through their coffin
death knights/wizards (commanders)- i prefer to think of them as semi conscious undead, made from powerful warriors that need occasional meat to sustain themselves and are weak to a multitude of things, can't come back
skeletons (soldiers)- need lots of meat, can die by normal weapons, can't come back

the incorporeal undead are messing with my autistic tier rankings

I'm trying to place myself in the head of Vecna. i'm thinking about having the skeletons dipped in molten iron to harden them as well as having them wear armor. after taking the prime material plane, which plane would go after next? air, fey, or earth?
>>
>>49868175
Vecna wouldn't power up his minions. He expects betrayal. Instead, he'd likely nerf the most powerful ones and make up the difference with numbers.
>>
File: 1459226898222.jpg (829KB, 800x978px) Image search: [Google]
1459226898222.jpg
829KB, 800x978px
>>49868197
i'm making this an alt history campaign though, that Acererak betrayed Vecna instead of Kas, and Kas saved him. so he'd be a little less paranoid about betrayal
>>
>>49868225
Betrayal is betrayal, yo. Vecna wasn't a trusting dude to begin with.
>>
>>49868247
>>49868197
By the way, if you dunk a bone into molten metal it will not survive
>>
File: 1455506237274.jpg (107KB, 469x800px) Image search: [Google]
1455506237274.jpg
107KB, 469x800px
>>49868247
good point. i think he'd definitely make an effort to be the only lich to really prove his dominance.

i'm also going to have him possess the wand of Orcus. i'm thinking that after he takes greyhawk he'd go to the plane of air and unleash wraiths and banshees

also, the art i find for Vecna online sucks, normal lich images suit him way better
>>
>>49868275
oh really? damn. well there goes that idea. and here i thought i was being clever
>>
>>49868298
I mean, what the fuck did you think would happen? Bones become soft when you boil them, let alone if you dunk them in molten iron.
>>
>>49868309
shit man i aint no doctor, i just play video games all day
>>
File: 300px-Vecna4e.jpg (200KB, 300x453px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Vecna4e.jpg
200KB, 300x453px
>>49868290
I always liked the 4e interpretation.
>>
>>49868309
>>49868275
>>49868298

>magic
>>
>>49868326
Magic doesn't stop skeleton bones from being fucked up by physical phenomenon.
>>
>>49868326
>Gallium coated skeletons operating in the arctic
>>
>>49868339
>magic doesn't violate the laws of physics

okay
>>
>>49868339
Do you think that magical skeletons are even made of calcium??? They are probably a mix of elemental earth and life.
>>
>>49868349
Example: When I swing a mace into a skeleton, it takes damage. Its bones eventually are powdered, just like regular bones. It similarly takes damage from other sources.

The magic doesn't make their bones indestructible. It just makes them stick together and move without connective tissues.
>>
File: warlord_by_kilartdev-daatm90.jpg (116KB, 1024x707px) Image search: [Google]
warlord_by_kilartdev-daatm90.jpg
116KB, 1024x707px
>>49868325
eh, he looks like a doofy bond villain in this picture

something more like a traditional lich or even an undead warlord fits vecna better
>>
>>49868363
Example: if i cast a spell that makes a skeleton immune to fire damage, it won't get boiled when it dips itself in molten iron
>>
>>49868373
If molten iron is fire damage.
>>
>>49868373
But it would become immobilized when the iron hardens, if not earlier due to the weight.
>>
>>49868394
That's true. There's probably a spell for that.
>>
>>49868409
This is investing an awful lot of magic when you could just not use a skeleton army. They suck anyway.
>>
>>49868394
What about budget iron golems which are animated by evil undead bones? That sounds cool enough.
>>
So this is the first time I'm rolling a Paladin. I want to make him LE. How would I be able to RP this? His Oath is Vengeance if that helps.
>>
>>49868428
They would basically be skeletons with extremely crude and heavy iron armor?
>>
File: symmetrical-specimen_full-view.jpg (50KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
symmetrical-specimen_full-view.jpg
50KB, 600x900px
>>49868394
>Immobilized
Do you honestly think skeletons work on physics? The skeleton can't move without muscles and tendons, a brain to send signals and nerves to transmit them. At that point, you basically need these guys running around for undead to function.
>>
>>49868448
Even skeletons, despite all the BS, can be immobilized and have limits on how much weight they can move.
>>
>>49868429
>Oath of Vengeance against evildoers
>is evil
Have him kill himself, then roll up a better character
>>
>>49868429
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4
>>
>>49868460
Oh, you were operating on weight limits. I thought you were operating on the assumption it would fuse joints or something. In that case, yeah. You'd need to have skellies with high STR scores.
>>
>>49868476
Well, you can also immobilize skeletons by fusing them together too. You can do quite a lot to skeletons, I don't know why you think they're immune to basic conditions like that.
>>
How do I get a soul back from a minor demon? Preferably quickly.
>>
>>49868490
Cause their joints would have no cartilage between them to fuse them together if you dipped them in metal. If a skeleton is all that is left, there's a lot of empty space that other pieces of biological machinery would have fit into. It only makes sense IMO if their bones are floating in roughly the same position as a living specimen, otherwise everything (quite literally) falls apart.
>>
>>49868538
Kill it or make a deal with it somehow.
>>
>>49868462
Maybe his oath of vengeance is against something even eviler than himself

that's actually pretty fucking cool.

I would just play a blackguard because blackguard's badass
>>
>>49868548
There are also many small bones in joints, you know.
>>
File: w5bY8p7[1].jpg (67KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
w5bY8p7[1].jpg
67KB, 750x600px
>>49868562
Something like this, maybe?
>>
>>49867999
Lucky is always useful when you're blowing a giant spell slot and don't want it to suck.
>>
>>49868538
Trick someone else into replacing your soul for theirs.

https://youtu.be/98BbUEAaFgw
>>
>>49868600
No no I tricked a kid into giving me his soul for a demon that I just wanted to go away.

I might have done the wrong thing.
>>
>>49867903
Give protection to both, the enemy will always have disadvantage if you stand next to each other.
>>
>>49868588
Currently i took Resilient(con) as my 1st level feat for being variant human, as a Diviner should i take lucky instead? I have 16 con thanks to Resilient.
>>
File: mmlamashtu.jpg (79KB, 443x541px) Image search: [Google]
mmlamashtu.jpg
79KB, 443x541px
is there any porn for lamashtu? she's hitting a lot of my buttons
>>
>>49868579
Yeah, but then you just have a slave (undead or otherwise) grind down the metal linking those parts to make sure the skeletons can move freely. Sure, it increases manufacture time/cost, and introduces the possibility of failure in the finishing process rendering skeletons less useful than before, but that just changes the cost/benefit analysis, it doesn't preclude the whole metallizer process.
>>
>>49868072
Alert is amazing. Being first on initiative is godlike
>>
>>49868635
>prego-fur exotic skin color
Wow.
>>
>>49868659
hell yeah nigga
>>
Which class reward player creativity the most?
>>
>>49868669
DM.
>>
>>49868669
Wizard
>>
>>49868635
This is /5eg/, not /pfg/.
>>
>>49867999
Ritual Caster: Cleric
>>
>>49868639
That might all be true. Or you could realize that the benefit of undead armies is the whole low cost high return thing. For all that effort, you could have properly outfitted some mortals who will be 10x more effective.
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (115KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
115KB, 480x342px
>>49868635
>Pathfinder Deity
>>
>>49868685
oops, sorry. my mind is clearly too focused on something else
>>
>>49868684
Which wizard though? Conjuration?
>>49868679
DM isn't a class and is it even rewarding?
>>
>>49868688
Mortals with free will. That's always a major downside.
>>
>>49868688
Plus if you have access to manufacturing you'd be better off just strapping grenades to your skeletons rib cages and training them to yell "Anon Akbar."
>>
I play a Tiefling Gunslinger named Alfonso Corbaño III

Am I that guy /5eg/?
>>
>>49868705
Go back to /smtg/ YHVH. We don't need LAWfag in here.
>>
What can a druid do to earn money job wise...?
>>
>>49868703
illusion probably

>>49868725
probably not but you do have bad taste

>>49868733
reincarnate loved ones
>>
>>49868725
>special snowflake race
>special snowflake class

absolutely. if i were your dm i'd kill you immediately
>>
>>49868738
>reincarnate loved ones
I should specify a low level druid.
>>
>>49868733
Trade furs, chop trees, other natural things. No metal, though, gotta cut those trees down with stone.
>>
>>49868733
All rune factory protagonist are Druid. So farming...?
>>
>>49868755
sell goodberries
>>
>>49868757
Druid has no restriction on metal tool and weapon.
>>
>>49868703

>is it even rewarding?

It is, as long as your players are entertained and you enjoy entertaining others.

So it's really only unrewarding if you're a bad DM and/or a sociopath.
>>
>>49868731
I always found the SMT interpretation of YHVH to be odd considering I was raised Mormon and in their fanfiction people not having free will was lucifer's plan, which jesus one upped by saying "why not give them free will and then I'll go down and give them the chance to repent". Rather than the whole paradise lost angle SMT takes.
>>
>>49868733
>>49868755

I mean, you could help out on farms unless the idea disgusts your character in particular. Once you get Plant Growth, you can charge people to make their land more fertile.

Alternatively, get familiar with some place and act as a guide, idk.
>>
>>49868780
I meant stone armor. Don't want those ents beating you down while you cut them. Maybe use the dead ent bark for tannins for tanning leather.
>>
>>49868794
>more fertile
I meant 'make their crops better'. Sorry again, teeg.
>>
>>49868757
>>49868758
there's literally no plants I have access to without being arrested in this town, and my dm made it so if we leave the town we'll be murdered. we're stuck there for a very long time.

i was thinking I could try growing stuff in this town and selling that, but for all I know it will piss off the town too.

>>49868794
I was considering this but with bad relations with the town I don't know if my druid will even want to help them with that, or if the could safely due to above problem.

>>49868768
I might try this... besides that selling healing spells is all I can think of.
>>
>>49868817
Grow weed in the town. Drug them up and they can't arrest ya for shit.
>>
>>49868817
Seem like a personal problem. What is your character background? Doesn't he has some sort of tool proficiency? Some sort of persuasion or perform skill to make people happy? Knowledge skill to tutor people?

Did you make your character into IMMA DRUID I HUG TREEZ
>>
>>49868739
Sorry for wanting an interesting character instead of another carbon copy dwarf fighter or elf ranger.

Although I wish my DM would kill my character because my GS is a fucking complicated class
>>
>>49868817
You could donate a casting or two to attempt to improve relations with the town, but uh.

Seems like your DM wants you deadlocked.

>>49868845
idk tiefling gunslinger en español seems fine.
>>
>>49868845
> implying dwarf or elf PC exist in 5e
Variant human is the only pc race I ever see.
>>
>>49868878
>no darkvision
too bad gms never bring that into play, huh?
>>
>>49868837
Going to try that, but the entire place is stone apparently so no dirt allowed apparently. Planning to try moss or... something.

>>49868842
More of an angry park ranger type druid whose not crazy about the whole ant nest style of life. The town treated our party quite terribly when we entered and we aren't allowed to leave for plot reasons for about half a year.

Herbalism proficiency, but I think making potions is expensive in itself?

>>49868852
That's why I'm asking for advice. I really don't know what to do for money without leaving the town and hiring guards to leave would hurt profits and my character wouldn't be comfortable with some strangers.
>>
>>49868895
Lamp exist. Light exist. Dancing Light exist.
>>
>>49868878
>allowing variant humans
I disallow them when I DM for that very reason, and when I make a character I pretend they don't exist.

It's tough because I'm a filthy optimizer, but Half-Elf exists so I manage.
>>
>>49868906
There are many ways to snuff lights, anon.
>>
>>49868896
All druid has herbalism kit proficiency. What extra proficiency do you have from your freaking background.

Background is your profession. It should tell you what your character would do during downtime.
>>
>>49868896
Entire place is stone? Where do they get their food?
>>
>>49868935
Hermit, it says Herbalism kit is your proficiency.

I made the mistake of going quickbuild recommendation. Should have delayed joining the group to minmax I guess.

>>49868965
Outside the place. We're on a magical stone mountain fortress that the place is built on top of. So it's surrounded by farmland I guess.
>>
>>49868703
Illusion and Conjuration if you don't have much imagination
>>
For curse of strahd, how should I roleplay Rahadin? I'm thinking I'll do like Anron Chigurh from No Country for Old Men and have him "visit' the players.
>>
>>49868980
Pretty sure it say in PhB tjat if you get duplicate proficiency from another source, you can change your background proficiency to something else.

So yeah, now your hermit can learn artisan tool or some shit instead.
>>
I'm converting a Pathfinder AP for my current group. Normally for PF when I needed to find a random NPC I just reskinned one of the options I found on theGM.org/npcs. However for 5e the monster options found on the SRD are pretty limited, is there an extended database that perhaps includes the NPC stats collected from the APs so far and such?
>>
>>49869005
Do you know what area it says that? I'd have to show my DM evidence.

A new proficiency would help tho.
>>
>>49869023
nevermind, I'm an idiot I found it.
>>
>>49868878
I'm playing a drow.

>>49868906
What an excellent way to light yourself up for all the darkvision-possessing orcs, kobolds, goblinoids, and other things to see. Nice that you always let them know you're coming, though. Gives them a chance to fight back. Probably set up a lot of traps, too, or beat a retreat and regroup to attack somewhere where you're not.
>>
>>49868878
>>49868915
You pretty much have to allow variant because the base is so bad
>>
>>49869043
Never really been a big deal when they did that. I get that you're trying to make darkvision important, but it's very situational. More suited for stealth than normal adventuring
>>
>>49869023
Page 125. Under proficiencies.

That was a dumb question and you should know it.
>>
>>49869043
Just murderhobo everything would easily solve all your problem. No more ambush, no more retreat, no more orc, no more goblin.

That would make the goblin slayer proud.
>>
File: 1476352554972.jpg (31KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1476352554972.jpg
31KB, 625x626px
>>49869084
>>
>>49869059
sorry

apparently I'm locked to things that relate to herbalism, so... poison? Alchemists supplies?
>>
>>49869110
No you are not (unless it's a DM fiat). By the rule, you can choose to be proficiency in any kind of tool.
>>
>>49869110
This
>>49869121
If you are, take Medicine and be an apothecary in your downtime. People will pay good money for that shit. Just hawk asprin to people. If your DM says asprin doesn't make sens ein a fantasy setting, slap him because it's literally dried out willow bark.
>>
>>49869121
Hopefully he lets me. I just have to figure out what could actually make me money.

>>49869158
I'm proficient in medicine already, this is for a tool proficiency.

I tried to offer herbalism/ medical knowledge to an NPC once to help out and the DM said the NPC would have laughed at me if I didn't add on the fact that I could cast healing magic too. Kind of hoping medical services in this town are shit so I'm not fucked in that area.
>>
>>49869187
>NPC would have laughed at me if I didn't add on the fact that I could cast healing magic too.
1. That's bullshit.
2. It's bullshit you can use to your advantage. PHB 159 ballparks low-level spellcasting services at 10-50 GP per spell, plus material components. I'm sure you can make a profit with some of your 1-2 level spells. Because by the DM's own words, people are willing to pay for healing magic.
>>
>>49869187
You know what? How about you give up and go full murderhobo? Wildshape into something and maul a guy to dead then steal his money and house.

You can cover your trace with magic or survival check.
>>
>>49869187
>the average commoner can afford to pay for healing magic for whatever ails them

Wow! Why is money an issue, again?
>>
>>49869221
I saw that, I'm just worried he'll tell me it's OP. My goodberry got nerfed so I'll get malnourished if I live off it so I worry he'll do something like that to slow my money gain.

>>49869249
I'm kind of tempted lately, or at least do what >>49869221 says but sell my healing exclusively to criminals in his stone fort.

>>49869254
Money/ healing only seems to be an issue for our party. I got desperate in the last dungeon and made goodberry potions for revival use so I could hang onto spells for healing in combat.
>>
>>49869308
Your DM nerf a freaking goodberry?
Time to pull out anon. Don't play with a power-craze DM. "But your spell ruined my plan! my story!!" Isn't the meantality the DM should has.
>>
>>49869058
>Never really been a big deal when they did that

That's on your DM, not darkvision. If you're actually using light rather than relying on darkvision then every single monster in the dungeon should know you're coming well before you actually arrive. It should be the rough equivalent of making a huge amount of noise as you walk.

>>49869084
There's nothing wrong with murderhoboing everything, but a party that walks around lit up like the sun in the underground should expect to face resistance that is both organized and prepared. None of this room-by-room stuff, and you won't ever get a surprise round in your favor.
>>
>>49869018
Pls halp
>>
What sorts of things should I keep in mind when DMing for a smaller group. I'm starting up a campaign soon and it looks like I'm only going to have two players.
>>
>>49869364
kobold.club
>>
File: 1473309123242.jpg (44KB, 442x670px) Image search: [Google]
1473309123242.jpg
44KB, 442x670px
>>49869334
Yeah, he never read the card. He wants rations to do the same which I kind of get, but Goodberry states it covers your nutritional needs so I'll probably live off it and argue with him privately at some point.

He really wants us to spend money on lifestyle expenses. I get auto - comfortable life style because I have survival proficiency and when I tried to survival check the stone fort for food he said there's no grass and no dirt then tried to get me to eat garbage.

I just want to play a druid. Also the NPCs seem to not like druids.
>>
In what ways does a Barbarian outperform a fighter?
>>
File: 1357005260892.gif (3MB, 318x178px) Image search: [Google]
1357005260892.gif
3MB, 318x178px
>>49869375
Thanks friend
>>
>>49869369
The CR system is not designed for two players, so you'll probably have to design encounters the hard way. By doing actual math.

There's a couple options for running low-player campaigns:

-have a couple NPCs come along with the party, but make sure they don't outshine the PCs.
-have each player control two characters
-tailor encounters to your lower number of PCs.

>>49869406
no problem
>>
>>49869409
Actual math sucks.

Option 1 and 3 seem more viable. They're brand new players to the hobby so I think they'll have their hands full handling 1 character let alone 2.
>>
>>49869394
Spike damage, HP.
>>
>>49869389
If he want a gritty grim survival game... tell him he should play other system. 5e is too high fantasy to support his playstyle.
>>
>>49869394
HP/general ability to soak damage, out-of-combat mobility (at least with totem barbarian), and mobility.
>>
>>49869473
Unless you have something in the player book to back it up with he generally isn't interested in discussion.

He does some interesting stuff as a DM and has some good ideas. I just wish he valued the players as much as he values his homebrew world.
>>
>>49869505
Still sound like a red flag. He might not even realize that D&D is a collaborative story telling. No his public ego wanking space.
>>
>>49866911
>quadripedal races

have fun when you need to scale a cliff face or climb a rope
>>
>>49868733
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/shocking-story-sex-slave-orangutan-and-her-rescue/
Orangutan bordello
>>
>>49869558
He's a new DM. We're all quite new and he was the only one who was capable of taking up the job. I'm admittedly a bit worried with the direction things are going. Last time I spoke to him about some problems my character was having he said it was my fault for "interpreting my character that way" and that I should just roll a new one. Then he made everything worse for my character that session. It was fun when we started and I'm just hoping it will be fun again at some point.

>>49869633
anon why
>>
>>49867957
Then they attack the guy with Sentinel.

You want the GWF to have sentinel.

Attack the guy with low armour? Shieldbro protects. attack Shieldbro? Axebrow chops.
>>
What's a good way to represent altered states, insanity and insanity points in D&D?

My party is travelling with an alchemist through an old forest that has been completely overgrown with giant funghi. Breathing the spore-filled air without remedies from the alchemist induces hallucinations, and eating any of the edible fungus slowly induces insanity- a fact that the party don't know.

The party is inevitably going to be put in a situation where they can no longer survive on their rations alone and have to come up with some source of food, and the options are pretty much limited to cannibalism or crazy mushrooms unless they can think of something creative. They're also travelling with a group of NPCs.

So far I'm thinking of gaslighting the players directly with unnecessary perception rolls and the like and making them think something is following them through the forest, and playing up suspicious activities of the NPCs. To start with everything will seem to be happening for a rational reason and I'm just dropping them hints, like the monster stalking them is trying to hide itself and the NPCs are plotting to betray them.
>>
Last thread mentioned monks fighting snails

Any artwork?
>>
>>49866681
I'll be stoked if this release for Mystic has all 4 orders and goes up to level 20. I want to make a soul knife
>>
>>49869699
It won't.
>>
>>49869633
And the world is a darker and scarier place. Thanks, Anon.
>>
>>49869745
not even monkey is safe from sex slave industry
>>
>>49869730
They said they are trying to get the Mystic with all options out by the end of the year.
>>
>>49869822
Yes, they've also said it's not going to be coming with Volo's.
>>
File: 1456243091661.gif (1MB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456243091661.gif
1MB, 245x200px
>>49869389
> then tried to get me to eat garbage.
Look at this picture carefully and remember every detail. This is the exact gesture and facial expression you should make before leaving the table and searching for another DM.
>>
>>49869656
Don't let him hold you emotional hostage. Seriously, read what you type. You are like the victim of relationship abuse.

Sometime you (or the whole table) just gotta hit the guy in the face to let him whole the he is a shitty DM.

Make him know that you aren't having fun and you have a better investment plan for your free time.
>>
Is it a bad idea to make my characters main goal establishing my own ooc political beliefs in his home country?

I think it would be a fun way to build my Ranger but I'm worried it will turn into a debate ooc about it.
>>
File: IMG_0498.jpg (69KB, 309x417px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0498.jpg
69KB, 309x417px
>>49867948
>>
>25th level in 4e is a 17th level in 5e
Is this a joke?
>>
>>49870564
>Reading the conversion rules
Don't, it's disappointing and kinda sad.

>Your character had 52 Str in previous edition and could lift a house? suck my cock, now it has 18 and can barely lift a horse
>>
>>49870564
It's almost like they're different systems, or something.
>>
>>49869656
>its your fault for interpreting the character that way
Literally symptomatic control freak. Leave before it gets worse, but if you really wanna do me a solid, tell him off while you do it.
>>
>>49869656
> a character can go without food for 3+CON mod day. Before they suffer one level of exhaustion.
> a normal day of eating (1lb of food) reset the count of days without food to zero.

So you character only need to eat once per 4-5 days without any ill effect.
>>
paladin warlock

is it pretty much pointless for me to use a weapon since I'll have EB with + CHA
>>
how would you handle a tall character slamming another creature into the ground

for example I'm playing a big fucking ape, and one of the attacks I want him to use is basically during a grapple, grabbing his opponent by the feet and swinging them up over his head, then back down like a sledgehammer, but iunno how much damage it should do

With his arms raised the palm of his hand is 11' high, which would be 1d6 of fall damage if I just dropped him, but I'm also making an effort for him to fall faster, which should incur extra damage right?

What I thought would be best is an opposed athletics check (grapple check?), that the enemy makes a dex or str saving through, dm's choice, and then the target is dealt 2d6 damage, with no bonus, and finishes the turn prone
>>
>>49870736
>have -4 con mod
>fucking die
>>
>>49870809
Just shove then attack them.
>>
>>49870805
No. Because you will go order of the tomb and use shillelagh and green flame blade. Go undying light for Pure CHA build.
>>
>>49870832
There is minimun 1 in there. I just didn't type it in because no one is that silly.
>>
>>49870805
>>49870889
What anon said.

Using melee attacks allows you to smite, so you'll alternate between GFB/BB and Eldritch Blast, or perhaps even extra attack between levels 5 and 10.
>>
>>49870676
Yes, they are, and a 25th level char in 4e can deal with more difficult stuff than a 17th level char in 5e, that's why I dunno why officially they say they're similar. If I see a toddler trying and failing to climb a chair I wouldn't say he's comparable to Alex Honnold
>>
So im a newbie DM and i would like some advice from you guys.
How should i describe combat? Something like "you hit him with your sword, dealing x hp damage" or "you manage to overwhelm his defenses and strike his flank, leaving a nasty wound, dealing x hp damage".
Im currently doing the later, but im worried it might be tedious in a extended combat.
>>
>>49870900
They didn't put a constitution minimum on HP you gain when levelling up, so it was possible.

Low con characters can make good characters if you want to die at some point.
Rolled a character with all shitty stats except one really good one once, decided to roll up a wizard for shits and giggles and their backstory was 'is afflicted by a terrible illness in their old age, hopes to either find the cure or die having an adventure rather than withering away in a chair somewhere'.

And I guess it's also kind of there to spite the DM if they pull any 'suddenly, bandits appear and shoot you, you all take ten damage' sort of bullshit because the death would probably derail things slightly and I'm a horrible, horrible person.

Otherwise it's like trying to make the recruit survive through XCOM and it'd be fun playing carefully and tactfully to avoid all damage.

.. At least shield, false life and mage armour exist.
>>
Have you reskinned the races for your games and if so as what?
>>
>>49870934
Let the player do the description, maybe only on the killer blow and a few random key-scene.
>>
Question.

So the Hermit background has the 'discovery' feature, where your character has made a unique/life changing/incredible discovery because of their isolation. Have you guys ever done this for yourself and if so what discoveries have you made? How do you incorporate that without going full autismo?
>>
Why on leveling up is the hit points gained half your hit-die+1. Then nobody ever rolls :(!
>>
>>49870934
Longer the combat, the shorter your descriptions should be.

Also, if you want to be the cool GM, give your players a chance to narrate their attacks.
Advanced level: let players narrate their critical fails
>>
>>49870934
If it barely hits and does barely any damage, you'd obviously say 'You strike a glancing blow..'
But probably go for overdescription by crits. For whatever reason, some people like the 'how do you want to do this' thing but I'm honestly not a fan unless it's an actually relevant big boss sort of enemy.

Sometimes throwing in things like an enemy losing a limb to large amounts of damage or that sort of thing is good too.

Remember that some enemies might run away sometimes depending on how a fight looks. Some enemies might avoid fights with a particularly scary party. More lawful enemies typically like to have a commander telling them what to do, and a smart creature or smart commander might tell the creatures to do actually smart tactics like 'stop the mage from concentrating on their spell and focus them' or something, but pulling that shit from a rabid bear would be dubious.

I prefer monsters to be able to decide what they think they should attack based on their intelligence rather than random targeting.
>>
>>49866795
That death throes ability seems to be just pure bullshit.
"Barley finished the fight with 5 hp left? FUCK YOU."
>>
>>49870889
>>49870908
Can I shilellelelllgh and GFB on the same turn?

This honestly sounds kinda cheesy, but smacking guys with a glowing staff that explodes into flame does sound cool

If I was undying light I'd get +cha on gfb huh? That is extra cheesy right there.

Should I be a half elf or variant human? Darkvision would be the main reason id do half elf + slightly better stats, but I figure devils sight would rectify that. What feat should I take if Variant Human? Inspiring leader seems useful and is super flavorful for the character but I dunno feel like shield master or something may be better
>>
>>49871008
>Can I shilellelelllgh and GFB on the same turn?
Yes
>If I was undying light I'd get +cha on gfb huh?
Yes

What does cheesy mean in your post? legal and intended? if so, yes, it's super cheesy
>>
>>49871008
Paladin/Undying light/Dragon sorcerer
You end adding 3xCha to your GFB for Weapon+Str+3xCha+3d8 on your main main target and 4d8+4xCha on the damage to the secondary target
>>
>>49871025
Well I dunno just seems like doing a bunch of shit to bump up damage, I'd probably be annoyed by a fellow party member doing that

But SAD would be nice and the character is all about THE LIGHT and stuff.

Game starts at level 5. 2 paladin 3 lock?
>>
File: OSHIT.png (259KB, 354x400px) Image search: [Google]
OSHIT.png
259KB, 354x400px
>>49866795
>>
>>49870934
I personally love the way the DM in this series does it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wKktqqY2g0&list=PLclQlELkadkZLyZvy0me-CzkfURnm6UlJ

its descriptive enough to get your imagination going, but he doesn't try to prose it up like hes writing the bible or some shit, in the end its just a bunch of losers sitting around a table playing pretend
>>
>>49871008
For varaint human, go with warcaster so you can use shield with quarterstaff.

Personally, I like half-elf better though.
>>
So apparently my background gives me a "book of lore". Can this be a book about preparing delicious meals using the monsters I slay? And how much would some basic cooking utensils cost? The PHB doesn't really list them.
>>
>>49871056
Dragon only apply cha to damage once.
>>
>>49871116
queer!!!
>>
>>49871116
>Can this be a book about preparing delicious meals using the monsters I slay?
I don't see why not. Could be fun. Just tell your DM that.

>how much would some basic cooking utensils cost?
Wouldn't that just be a normal messkit? the PHB says it cost 2 sp. So if you want some more you could just count from that.
>>
>>49871116
Sure, but you still need to be proficient with cooking utensil. Pretty sure it's under proficiency tool list.
>>
>>49868021
Finally you produce some non bullshit. Also you're still retarded for not understanding a fairly basic argument (the fact that you still thought I was arguing the call was sixth level spells is hilarious), but I was wrong.
>>
>>49869866
And I failto see how that is in any connected to Volos the only connection is flayers and mystics both being psionic.
>>
>>49871105
I cant use a quarterstaff and shield without warcaster?

I've never seen a gm enforce that rule for spellcasting.

Guess I'll ask my gm, from what I understand he's really cool about that sort of thing

>>49871116
I really dont get this guys. Whats the meme I'm not in on
>>
>>49871056
Also, quicken metamagic.

A pity that you can't twin and quicken GFB at the same time.
>>
>>49871177
Use twin instead of quicken because it costs a point less.
Technically I think GFB qualifies for twinning because there's only really one target, just that there's a secondary effect that hurts a second creature.
>>
>>49871177
>>49871215
You can't twin GFB. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/11/10/can-you-us-twinned-spell-with-green-flame-blade/
>>
File: sE6jRBQ.png (135KB, 1080x620px) Image search: [Google]
sE6jRBQ.png
135KB, 1080x620px
Our GMs own words pretty much sums up our previous D&D session.

"These motherfuckers had enough gold to buy a ship to convert into a tiny airship and STILL have 200-300 gold left over - and they immediately were trying to haggle and whore out the monk’s boihole.

You may be good-aligned, but you’re still D&D players at heart."
>>
>>49871224
Guess it's twinning booming blade instead, then.
>>
>>49868072
also you cannot be surprised-> can take reactions-> can use shield/counter spell -> dont be one shooted / party wiped / controlled
>>
>>49871116
Cook's utensils. 1gp, 8lb. It's listed under artisan's tools.
>>
>>49871151
Cooking utensils is in the artisan's tools section.
>>
>>49871270
sadly, that one has a damage type that's harder to boost. But yeah, that does work.
>>
>>49871252
I never understand "haggling" for high level PC. Actually, I was throwing my coin around for no reason at level 5.
>>
>>49868784
Or have bad players
>>
>>49871331
We found and utterly robbed a dwarven treasury on level 7. And then we despaired, because we had nothing to spend this shitload of money on. We ended up paying our tavern stays with rubies and diamonds.
>>
>>49871174
The idea comes from the manga Dungeon Meshi. It's about a party of adventurers exploring a huge dungeon while living off of the monsters they slay (and whatever else they can find in the dungeon) because they didn't have the money to buy rations like any sensible adventurer. It's really fun to read and gets pretty creative with preparing meals from monsters.
>>
>>49867999
Also honestly war caster seems pretty shitty for wizards because you shouldn't be in reaction attack range in the first place, and you always have enough free hands, and you shouldn't be taking damage and thus require lots of concentration rolls

resilient(con) would be better, int-up, lucky or dex or con up. Or even resilient(dex).

Or, I don't know. You could grab armour proficiencies.
>>
What happen when you cast Polymorph on yourself? Can you transform? Can you maintain concentration??
>>
>>49871369
Yes, and yes.
>>
>>49871348
>not buying a kingdom or a giant fucking airship or a castle or an armoured vehicle or a boat or maybe a magical broom to play quidditch on fuck I don't know
>>
>>49868669
Classless.

They can only get about through creativity, because they have no normal capabilities.

Setting up traps and such.
>>
>>49871372
So Land Druid can have some fun too, huh?
>>
>>49871378
We did buy magic brooms for all of us, ended up never using them for some reason. No airships in this setting. As for building castles/houses, everyone thought that it's a stupid idea, because we never visit same locations twice, so what's the point.
Except for me, I've bought a tavern on an island. It ended up getting wrecked offscreen by a civil war, but it's not like I cared, because we never came back to that island.
>>
>>49871417
Pay mages to make an airship out of magic brooms.
>>
>>49871172
So then you agree Mystic isn't coming with Volo's. Glad we understand.
>>
>>49871439
Of course. I don't think you understand though, because he was saying mystic would come with the ua.
>>
Who's fucking hyped about Volo's?
>>
>>49871552
I got money set aside for getting it on the 4th, gonna try to nab that special edition cover.

I may or may not scan, I haven't decided yet.
>>
>>49871579
just take a potatoes quality image of the new race for us!
>>
>>49871552
Somewhat? I always like the new content, but it's not like my DM will actually allow me to play as kobolds and shit, so I'd prefer new classes instead.
Outside of his campain, I'm forever DM who prefers using published adventures, and I really doubt they'll be using monsters out of Volo there.
>>
>>49871070
>>49871119
Dragon+Undyinglight+Necrotic from 12th level invocationm, that's 3xCha.
On the secondary attack is GFB+Dragon+Undyinglight+Necrotic, that's 4xCha.
>>
>>49866681
So Firbolgs are some hippies instead of an honorable warrior race now?
>>
>>49866716
Yeah, giving martials an option to be good through a race in 3e was a mistake
>>
>>49870973
If Wis based class I usually make it related to medicine (I.e. use a silver needle for acupuncture instead of medic kits to heal).

If melee based then a treasure map for some relic that I can use or a method to forge magic gear (using expensive ingredients).

If wizard/caster then a homebrewed cantrip approved by the DM.
>>
>>49871651
And I was saying. Draconic only apply +CHA to damage once per casting.
Either the primary or secondary get bonus from Draconic, not both.

Get on with the errata, old man.
>>
Is proficiency in athletic important for moon druid? My DM make us roll a lot of investigation check... so I'm not sure if it worth sacrificing athletic for investigation.
>>
>>49871770
No, unless you intend to use it in combat. Otherwise you can just turn into things that make athletic checks largely pointless.
>>
>>49871770
Talk to your GM about it and he will probably try to reward your athletics choice in some manner.
>>
>>49871785
Are you allowed to use your skill proficiencies while shapeshifted? Could a moon druid turn into a giant ape and then add his full proficiency bonus to the ape's strength score when grabbing or shoving someone?
>>
>>49871927
That is a trick question right?
Yes. You retain all your ski proficiency, in addition to getting the beast proficiemcy.

No, you can't be giant ape. Because Moon Druid can't become a CR7 creature.
>>
>>49871545
>>49871439
>saying mystic would come with the ua.
Yep that is what I am saying the class is going to released in UA and I could see it in a 2nd PHB but it will be released via UA
>>
>Barbarian/Rogue vibrates in absolute, silent fury as he sneaks up and sneak attacks the target
>>
>>49872146
He rages so hard that he actually scares all sound away.
>>
>>49871161

your argument was always totally retarded dude. especially since it relied on improved divine smite counting towards the maximum of the regular divine smite even though they are two totally different features.
>>
>>49872146
He's so mad that he loops around and becomes perfectly calm
>>
>>49872146
>standing guard
>hear heavy thudding footsteps behind me
>turn around
>7'3 half orc mass of muscle, wearing a black robe that barely touches his elbows
>holding a short bow that looks like a childs toy in his green hands
>"I'm sneaking, you don't see me because I am a rogue"
>turn around and try not to wet myself
>he bellows "SNEAK ATAAAAACK" and kicks me off of my tower
>while I'm falling I wonder where everything went wrong
>>
>>49872146
>Barbarian/Rogue vibrates in absolute, silent fury as he pleasures the sorceress
>>
>>49867765
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJOtWZmke
Somewhat helpful for you.
>>
>>49870975
That's the functional average of rolling. It's literally just 'safe option that can't fuck you,' versus '50% chance of permanently fucking you'
>>
>>49872843
Oh fuck you.
>>
File: 1475809988225.jpg (5KB, 125x124px) Image search: [Google]
1475809988225.jpg
5KB, 125x124px
>>49872956
That's the sorceress's job.
>>
File: Neothelid.jpg (150KB, 1500x1007px) Image search: [Google]
Neothelid.jpg
150KB, 1500x1007px
Also, this thing is going to be in Volo's Guide. I'm pretty stoked.
>>
File: 1474901676395.jpg (396KB, 1570x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1474901676395.jpg
396KB, 1570x1536px
>>49872990
I hate you so much.
>>
>>49873032
>dire_earthworm.jpg
>>
File: 1476350851636.jpg (21KB, 273x196px) Image search: [Google]
1476350851636.jpg
21KB, 273x196px
>>49873055
I'm not even the same guy, I just thought it'd be funny.
>>
>>49871552
Hype hype hype hype hype. This would appear to be the first full and true splatbook. EEPC was too short, and SCAG was mostly fluff with very little crunchy goodness to it.

Not that either were bad, it's just that this is the one I'm most looking forward to.
>>
File: 1451720168315.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451720168315.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>49873055
Guy made a comment about vibrating and the first thing you said was "fuck you".

You left yourself wide open and you know it.
>>
I want to use dice to randomly roll a number between 1 and 64; each option needs to have an equal chance of coming up, but I almost failed statistics.
>>
>>49873109
>14 pages about beholders
Good luck it's an extremely detailed fluff book for monsters.
>>
>>49873138
>You left yourself wide open and you know it.
Just like the sorceress
>>
>>49872657
>Turns to other guard and says "Yew didn't see anything because I wuz sneakin."
>"Yessir." he replies, keeping his eyes forward. "Quiet night tonight eh James?"
>>
>>49873148
1d64
>>
>>49873153
It looks like there's tons of crunch content... for DMs.
>>
>tfw level 3 support bot in Adventure League
>Because of DM rewards have the most broken statline
>8 Str, 12 dex, 16 Con, 19 Int, 16 Wis, 12 Cha
>tfw still not as fun as hitting things really hard with a sword
>>
>>49873176
Goddammit.
>>
>>49873191
Which I personally love.

Rumor has it the MM2 and PHB2 are going to be made though.
>>
>>49873291
I like it too, I'm DMing a game currently so it's a nice injection of content.
I'm running SKT, hope they add some more on giants (which is why I was hyped for the Firbolg teaser).
>>
>>49873148
1d100. Reroll if higher than 64?
>>
>>49873291
>Rumor has it the MM2 and PHB2 are going to be made by Kobold Press
Fixed
>>
File: 1409755087728.gif (901KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
1409755087728.gif
901KB, 500x212px
>>49873176
I knew what *I* was doing when I said that...

>>49873191
DM-distinct rules crunch has actually been generally lacking, so I nevertheless approve.
>>
>>49873428
I should say that I have 64 options that need an equal chance of coming up in a die or dice roll of some sort or another! I'm not sure rerolling anything over 64 makes the chances the same for each option, or skews the numbers.
>>
>>49872657
Note that, RAW, if you club someone with a longbow, you could still get sneak attack, and the attack can benefit from both GWM and Sharpshooter. Although good luck hitting with a -10 modifier on a improvised (no-proficiency) attack.
>>
I just want to ask if the lock Awakened Mind work similar to Ghostwise Silent Speech other than the whole language thing
>>
>>49874079
The creature you communicate with doesn't need to be fluent in even a single language. So a warlock with Awakened Mind could even communicate with you.
>>
>>49868733

Act as guide

Hunt down aberrations

Advise important folk on how best to balance their city's growth against not inciting nature's wrath

Help folks farm/restore the potency of land

Make potions and shit

If you're in the mountains you could help make buildings and stuff by shifting stone.

Sea Druid? Push boats along?

Heal disease/poison

Be a spy

Fuck, you're literally a nature wizard, get hired to just nuke things attacking your kingdom/boss.
>>
>>49873726
If you crit on a 19-20 and have advantage, you've got almost a 1/5 chance of hitting and critting regardless of enemy AC.
>>
>>49873724
It keeps it the same, you spaz.
Anything from 1-64 functionally has a 1/64 chance of coming up, 65-100 effectively has a 0/64 chance of coming up.
You aren't rerolling anything between 1 and 64 so their chances remain the same and equally distributed.
>>
>>49874826
Features that give you critical hits on a 19 don't mean you auto-hit on a 19 IIRC
>>
>>49873148
You know how you roll 2d10 for d100? Roll 2d8 the same way. If you're making a table, you don't even have to convert it from base 8.
>>
>>49871655
Cause they already have Goliaths in SCAG, I guess they didn't want two near identical races.
>>
>>49874926
Just checked.
It doesn't. Fuck. As if champion wasn't bad enough already.

'When you roll a 20, you automatically hit and score a crit'.

'Your weapon attacks score a critical on 19 or 20'

And critical hit doesn't say anything about auto-hitting.

Advantage still increases chance of a 20, though.
>>
>>49875255
RAW it definitely doesn't but Crawford and Mearls have both said it should / does on Twitter.
Seems weird because the PHB makes it extremely clear that rolling a 20 a) automatically hits and b) causes the hit to be critical, a separate thing under a different heading.
>>
>>49875340
Yeah, I'd probably make it crit for the sake of stupid champion builds /champions not being super-shitty, but it should almost never come up that a 19 doesn't hit unless there are some crazy modifiers involved and armours.

I suppose if level 5s are trying to fight something that's literally a fucking tank.
Thread posts: 336
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.