[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 23

File: Engineered Explosives.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Engineered Explosives.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
($$$ COMPETITIVE $$$)

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

[[[Just copy and paste this post (and the subject) if you need to make a new MTG Modern thread.]]]
>>
>>49852682
Is there a way to build a not shit esper midrange? Esper alone has been given a lot in the past few blocks but hasn't put up any results
>>
File: 1462982839610980.png (267KB, 396x554px) Image search: [Google]
1462982839610980.png
267KB, 396x554px
>MAGIC IS TOO EXPENSIVE
>FRONTIER 4C GOOD STUFF FTW
>HASBRO DOESN'T CARE ABOUT POOR PEOPLE
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>current year
>still playing memdern

Pack it in boys, frontier is the future
>>
>>49853868
I'd sooner die then play an entire format of midrange and coco. I'd probably have more fun rolling a dice than participating in the topdeck format
>>
Norin sisters is the new king of the format. BOW DOWN plebs!
>>
>>49853868
>playing 4 color meme-stuff because the frontier pool is so shitty you can't even get a god damn ghost quarter

The format won't go anywhere
>>
File: elspeth.jpg (65KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
elspeth.jpg
65KB, 312x445px
>>49852969
Years ago I played something like this and it was alright

Creatures: 14
3 Tidehollow Sculler
3 Meddling Mage
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Restoration Angel
1 Baneslayer Angel

Other Spells: 20
4 Path to Exile
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Thoughtseize
2 Spell Snare
2 Negate
1 Go for the Throat
3 Esper Charm
1 Dismember
1 Murderous Cut

Other Permanents: 2
2 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Lands: 24
3 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
2 Marsh Flats
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
2 Plains
1 Island
1 Swamp
3 Darkslick Shores
1 Ghost Quarter

The deck was great against combo, but I often found that against fair decks I would eat their hand and then they would out topdeck me, and the removal suite was very clunky. I don't think this sort of hatebears-style build will be great unless Misty is unbanned.

With the other new cards, I could see taking the deck in two different directions.

One would focus on Lingering Souls and 'walkers like Sorin, Gideon, or Elspeth. Collective Brutality could be an important card, with Think Twice to further abuse it.

The other would be an extension of the UW Resto Angel midrange deck, swapping out some of the weaker creatures like Kitchen Finks or Blade Splicer for Esper Charms, more Cryptics (or Ojutai's Command) and Torrential Gearhulk.
>>
>>49852969
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/492131#online
it's ok
>>
>>49854803
Dafuq is misty?
>>
>>49856080
Stoneforge Mystic
>>
tfw finally want to buy in a tier 1 deck but wizards' banhammer gives me the poopers.

Should I buy into affinity?
>>
>>49856464
yes
>>
>>49856098
That's really gay.
>>
>>49856464
no
>>
>>49856464
Buy into Legacy
>>
Nothing gets my dick harder then my opponents saltiness at a turn 3 Ugin
>>
>>49856557
How did you not know that? How new are you at magic? Do you know who Bob is?
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (30KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
30KB, 223x310px
>>49857164
Who the fuck calls Stoneforge "Misty"?
This is a Misty, you idiot.
>>
>>49857154
How are you dropping Ugin turn 3? Do you run Simian Spirit Guide or mana dorks in Tron?
>>
>>49854803
Looks good but it's not really true midrange, something like giest requires a lot of removal to get through. I mean a deck that just wants to go to topdeck mode because every spell drawn a will be good
>>
>>49857181
People who have played the game longer than a year

>>49857197
No. I believe this is the second time we have had this conversation. EOT warping wail. Used to be just side board tech for the mirror. Now I main board it and side it out vs eldrazi and affinity which only a couple people play in my meta
>>
>>49857164
>Invent a new name
>It's totally the same as Snapcaster Mage and Bob, guys !
>>
>>49857233
Not him. I've been playing this game for 4 years and you're the first person I've heard call SFM "Misty".
>>
>>49857233
I've never heard anyone call it misty either
>>
>>49857242
It's not a new name fucktard. People were calling her that even during spoiler season

>>49857251
>Not him
Right. And I'm not even the nigger who said it in the first place. This is common knowledge
>>
>>49857270
Why are you mad ? It's not wrong to be wrong, just admit it
It's not because your playgroup use "Misty" that everyone know what you mean
>>
This is why this general is considered cancer. Holy fuck.
>>
>>49857270
It's not. I've never heard anyone refer to SFM as that.
When you google "Misty MTG", misty Rainforest is the first and only result, since everyone calls that "Misty" for short.
>>
What's the interaction between Angel's Grace and infect creatures? I've played AN vs Infect on Xmage a few times and I never understand what happens
>>
>>49857420
You get lethal infect, eot you lose when angles grace wears off and state based actions check
>>
>>49857420
You can't loss the game that turn, then you immediately lose the next turn for having 10+ poison counters.
>>
>>49857420
You'll die when Angel's Grace effect wears off
>>
>memdern players brag about their solved format.

You say frontiers shit cause it'd be dominated by coco, but modern suffered the same thing when it was created. Plus it's not exactly solved so we don't know what his synergy anymore.

Face it your formats dying a slow legacy like death
>>
>>49856464
It's a lot of fun, but few if any cards transfer well to other decks.
>>
>>49857521
Worse. Legacy isn't totally solved because wizard's throws it a bone now and then
>>
>>49857437
>>49857450
>>49857451
Ok cool, that's what was happening and I swear someone told me something else happened
Thanks lads
>>
>>49856464
if they wanted to hit that deck they would have years ago
>>
>>49857233
>Fetches came out the set before SFM
DURRR STONEFORGE IS MISTY, ITS DEFINITELY NOT MISTY RAINFOREST WHICH IS AN OLDER CARD
>>
>>49857679
#samewithpod
>>
>>49857730
>Memedern

Literally man children
>>
>>49857521
(You)
>>
jesus. are all modern players this fucking retarded?
>>
>>49858115
There's only 25 people in this thread so far and your post certainly isn't helping
>>
There really is nothing to talk about right now for Modern; Infect got even better with Blossoming Defense, the zooicide meme is finally ending and dredge hasn't done shit
>>
>>49858232
glad i sold my playset of buable while they were at thirty each. Managed to also sell my nahiri while she was peak as well. lets see if i can keep the trend going
>>
File: 20160922_191012.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160922_191012.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Tfw boros sisters and loving it
>>
>>49858282
Jeskai Nahiri is the most fun deck in the format though
>>
>>49858324
LOL no
>>
>>49858309
Dude. Me too!! Get your ass a full playset of Genesis chambers and slide in a single copy of legion loyalist. I've blown out board stalls this way!
>>
What the fuck is frontier?
>>
>>49858813
Why not ask in the frontier thread you abhorrent shitposter?
>>
>>49858822
Or you couldve just taken that time to let them know what it was and save yourself a shitty argument. You're as bad as the shit poster.
>>
>>49858813
It's nothing, just the new meme format pushed by retailers to get rid of their excess stock of worthless rares just like Tiny Leaders was last year. Ignore it and you'll be fine
>>
>>49858813
It's edh but you basically mix your lands with your opponent's and play that way.
>>
>>49858822
Yes, enable them. Bravo
>>
guise, i think we should stop having these generals be 24/7. we straight up ahve nothing to talk about and jsut end up shitposting and arguning wiht each other. why don't we cool it till fnm this week and come back on the weekend with some actual discussion. maybe if we just have these on the weekends these generals would be less shitty.
>>
>>49858971
>we straight up ahve nothing to talk about and jsut end up shitposting and arguning wiht each other
Welcome to 4chan
>>
Brand new player here. As in, two games under my belt.

Where the fuck do I start? Assuming money is no object, what's a good deck to build first?

All I want is something fun and interactive.
>>
>>49859002
>All I want is something fun and interactive.
Modern is not for you
>>
>>49858996
not really. before eldrazi winter we use to have maybe 2 or 3 of these a week. Then eldrazi winter hit and we all got used to posting in a modern thread all the time. these generals have gone to shit

>>49859002
jund is most what your describing but like >>49859012
said, modern is not an interactive format. it used to be when twin was around because it forced interaction, but not no mo'
>>
>>49859012
I was a bit afraid of that. Looking at what tops tournaments, it seems that most of the really competitive stuff is kind of dry.

Does that hold true for more casual Modern? And if so, what may be a more interactive format?
>>
How terrible is this for a dredge manabase?

2 Copperline Gorge
2 Dakmor Salvage
3 Gemstone Mine
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Forest
1 Blood Crypt
1 Steam Vents
2 Stomping Grounds
1 Breeding Pool
>>
>>49859042
modern is not casual, it is competitive. and yes the way you mean it they are opposites. if you walk into a random LGS and say you have a "modern" deck, but it's one that is only modern legal and that you play with your friends at the kitchen table with, you will get stomped and not have fun doing it. IF money is truly no object play Legacy but be prepared to drop $1k at the minimum, but more like 2-3k. if you just want to have fun, play with your friends on the kitchen table. Casual really is the best format
>>
>>49858971
Bring back questionnaires.
>>
>>49859590
No. They're just blog posts. Nobody replies.
It's the same people every thread too
>>
>>49859628
Things must have changed. I remember when the first 50-70 posts were replies and discussion about a year or so ago.
>>
The retards talking about our baby again :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPtiaWYo4T8
>>
>>49857270
How wrong can one person be? I have nvr heard SFM be referred to as misty.
>>
>>49859628
at this point i say fuck it and bring back the blogs. at least then the thread wouldn't immiediatly go to shit. Plus i actually read people answers to them, and I assume most people did too. And yeah, of course its the same people every thread. Its the same people every thread now. I'm tempted to start doing what we do in the legacy thread and namefag in here.
>>
>>49859678
>Cawblade was win on turn zero
>>
>>49859678
well at least his first point was about standard, which i get. Standard gets solved pretty quickly now
>>
File: IMG_0001.jpg (2MB, 3725x1040px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001.jpg
2MB, 3725x1040px
>Whatcha playin'?

>Whatcha buildin'?

>Whatcha hatin'?

>What'a your secret sideboard tech?

>What card is rotting on the banlist that if unbanned would do absolutely nothing to change the format?
>>
standard is a dead format, post budget decks to get into modern
>>
>Whatcha playin'?
Haven't in awhile. I've still got Affinity, Burn, and pre-ban R/G Tron built though.
>Whatcha buildin'?
Haven't decided if I want to get back into it yet.
>Whatcha hatin'?
Nothing at the moment.
Been out of it, so I can't say.
>What card is rotting on the banlist that if unbanned would do absolutely nothing to change the format?
>>
>>49859805
Budget gruul deck made out of literally nothing.

Combo Naya, will post decklist later

Fuck America.

Sideboard for local meta, thats it.

No idea, I don't really check the banlist
>>
>>49859033
Senpai these have been daily for years. They only stagnated now. Treasure cruise meta was crazy for brewing so the threads were always active. Pod the same. Legacy threads offer advice and standard is a brewing thread. Modern has neither because this format is stagnant. I could post my bug delirium list but it doesn't get the feedback mtg salvation gives. And too many people will say "it doesn't beat x"
>>
>>49859805
>Whatcha playin'?
UWR control
>Whatcha buildin'?
UWR nahiri
>Whatcha hatin'?
Dredge
counterflux
Jitte I guess, its a bit to slow for modern me thinks
>>
>>49859828
>budget
>modern
pick one

>>49859805
>Whatcha playin'?
tron. wuz kingz etc...

>Whatcha buildin'?
WG soul sistas (for gf), naya burn

>Whatcha hatin'?
burn, infect, 'drazi. I'm basically playing Gx tron and playing paths etc of my eggs

paths, hurkyls, basic hate cards

maybe cloudpost, but i see the arguements against it. Jace and SFM could be unbanned and only one of them would see major play hint: it's not the planeswalker . summer bloom and twin were scapegoats. and dread return should be unbanned just so i can play manaless dredge in modern

>>49859852
modern metagame in a nutshell :^)
>>
>>49859965
Budget is about 100 and 300, anon, at least for me.
>>
>>49859965
>manaless dredge
How? So many pieces are missing
>>
>>49859997
you could build burn for that

>>49860017
the only pice missing after dread return is nether shadow and ichorid which are non-essential for the deck actually running. Cabal Thereapy is irrelevant in modern because of no force of will
>>
>>49859805
>Whatcha playin'?
Jund
>Whatcha buildin'?
Abzan
>Whatcha hatin'?
Tron
Lost Legacy. Better than Outpost Siege by a mile, downside is rarely relevant
BBE and Jace
>>
>>49860058
Whoops mistook it for led dredge
>>
>>49859805
>>Whatcha playin'?
Dredge with a budget manabase
>>Whatcha buildin'?
Foiling dredge, trading into fetches/shocks/scars fastlands
>>Whatcha hatin'?
Not having my bloodghasts yet
>>What'a your secret sideboard tech?
Ray of Revelation flashback in response to RiPs ETB trigger.
>>What card is rotting on the banlist that if unbanned would do absolutely nothing to change the format?
Dread Return. 10/10 absolutely fair card, don't even worry about it.

>>49860017
In a regular Manaless list, there are 16 cards that aren't legal in modern.
Dread Return (Banned)
Cabal Therapy (Old)
Nether Shadow (Old)
Ichorid (Old)
Unban Dread Return, replace Nether Shadow, Ichorid and Therapy with Bloodghast, add Dryad Arbor and Dakmor Salvage, fiddle with the slots Balustrade Spy takes up, you've got yourself Modern Manaless Dredge.
>>
>>49860083
>add Dryad Arbor and Dakmor Salvage, fiddle with the slots Balustrade Spy takes up, you've got yourself Modern Manaless Dredge.
why would you do that and ruin the ability to combo out, when you can play pact of negation/slaughter, mishra's bauble, and creature like ornithoper/memnite to help fuel dread return. sounds like your just building regular dredge anon
>>
>>49860058
Which burn decklist tho
>>
>>49860135
True manaless dredge just doesn't work in modern, even with DR
The free recursive creatures in Ichorid/Nether Shadow providing beats/zombie tokens via bridge is too important to the manaless gameplan
>>
>>49859805
>>Whatcha playin'?
Glorious Lantern Control

>>Whatcha buildin'?
Nothing, modern is the most brew-averse format

>>Whatcha hatin'?
Losing to control decks constantly when people keep harping modern is uninteractive.

>>What'a your secret sideboard tech?
Nothing, it's Lantern.

>>What card is rotting on the banlist that if unbanned would do absolutely nothing to change the format?
Brainstorm.
>>
>>49860139
i really hate hand holding anon, but because you are so new I'll try to not be a dick.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-burn-8975#paper

mtg goldfish is gonna be your best tool to finding out how much a deck costs. TCG player and SCG allow you to just buy entire decks at a time. mtg top 8 tells you what recent tournement results were
>>
>>49860172
>Brainstorm.
>would do absolutely nothing to change the format?
Son...
>>
>>49860179
Oh, I have a lot of those cards. Sorry anon, I'm a standard baby.
>>
>>49860170
manaless dredge can combo out on turn 2. No the recursive threats are not at all necessary for thedeck to function

>>49860172
brainstorm isn't banned anon. It's just straight up not legal. It would also fuck the format in half
>>
>>49860246
it's ok, but google is a thing. mono-red burn the best version though. Both boros and naya burn put up better reults, and I myself am partial to naya's explosive-ness with wild nacatl
>>
>>49860274
I know how Manaless plays, because I own the deck and play it.
Modern manaless would be able to play, but it would rely too heavily on narcomoebas and amalgams together so it can win.
And by the way, just because Manaless CAN combo off t2, doesn't mean it does. It's usually t3 if you don't have street wraiths, and sometimes still t3-4 with them. Ichorid/zombie beats are a legitimate secondary plan if you haven't dredged the combo yet, or you need to find Therapy to take their countermagic.
>>
>>49860274
Sorry, I meant Chrome mox.
>>
>>49860341
I also play manaless dredge, like it was obvious from the first couple of posts that we both play it. And yeah, i combo off on turn 2 about 85% of the time. Yes the beats are a good SECONDARY plan, and therapy is pointless with out force , but i really don't get why you're trying to say it straight up wouldn't work. modern is a lower power level so manaless dredge would be much stronger in it. It is viable. But then again we both know manaless dredge is terrible
>>
>>49860353
no you didn't you cheeky cunt
>>
>>49860512
I'm not saying it straight up wouldn't work, i'm saying that going from 16 free creatures to 8 (4 of which rely on the other 4) is going to make you lose a lot of consistancy in casting dread return, which we both know is a good portion of what makes Manaless not-completely-shit.
The other good thing about therapy is that it triggers Bridge to help you get 3 creatures for DR.
>>
>>49860589
oh yeah, it would be a lot more shit, but thats not the point. the point is playing no land in modern and making maro cry
>>
>>49860649
I'm not saying I wouldn't play it, I'm saying it's bad.
What would you actually put in to replace the ~12 cards?
Baubles for extra dredges, what else?
>>
>>49860668
baubles, thopters, memnites, and pact of negations to counter the mana leak/remand. Hell before i got ichorids I was playing chancellor of the forge for the free goblins.
>>
>>49860527
Call me a cheeky cunt again, it turns me on.
>>
>>49860695
Chancellor of the Annex could be good actually, works as a DR target in a pinch too
>>
>>49860735
of course this is all speculative unfortunately
>>
>>49860760
"Don't worry about it guys it's in Time Spiral, that means it's modern legal!"
>>
>>49860770
Wait, Time Spiral isn't modern legal? Wasn't it from like, 2006?
>>
>>49860916
Time Spiral is modern legal, Dread Return is banned though.
>>
>>49860916
time spiral as a block is legal. anon was just poking fun that a card from a modern legal block with a modern legal mechanic is banned because wizards hates combo with a boner rival hitler hatred of jews. which is ironic
>>
I don't even know why I have 5 Elesh Norn, if anyone wants one I'll put it up for sale on tcgplayer later this night. What would be a "cheap" price for her?
>>
>>49860972
$3.50 AUD
>>
>>49860972
2 dollars
>>
Anyone have some sideboard tech vs Valakut decks? It seems to be a terrible matchup no matter what deck im on. Preferably in grixis colors.
>>
>>49861303
Crumble to dust
Any land destruction + Surgical
>>
>>49861303
Tunnel Ignus. Zozu the Punisher.
>>
>>49861356
Crumble feels so slow against it. Have you had success with it?
>>49861400
I wish they didnt just die to the first trigger ;_; theyre so good for it.
>>
Is it worth playing Dega Burn with Bump in the Night, Atarka's Command, and Boros Charm?

Sideboard wise you have Destructive Revelry, Rakdos Charm, Wear//Tear.
>>
>>49861752
Oh, and Rain of Gore.
>>
>>49861752
it's mardu anon. unless you enjoy being a pretntious cunt. And boros and naya burn are the best forms of burn on the market today, bump in the night is not worth splashing black for
>>
>>49861734
I play Dredge, I just race them. Turn 4 interaction is fine for Titanshift unless they get the nut draws.
>>
>>49861752

BUG
RUG
Mardu
Abzan
America

Naya
Esper
Jund
Grixis
Bant
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49862186
RWBG isn't a named color combination.
Before KTK, Mardu was referred to as either RWB or Dega.
>>
>>49862226
Yeah, I was wrong. I could have sworn there was an older term for the 4 color combos.

Either way I meant 4 color Burn excluding blue.
>>
>>49862226
>>49862264
Sometimes their called by their nephalim names. I imagine wizards will give them a name in November.

On topic, no it is not worth it to splash for black in burn. Your cutting too much for value to justify it
>>
>>49862264
Why not splash U for Snapcaster?
>>
File: 306_illo4.jpg (68KB, 659x500px) Image search: [Google]
306_illo4.jpg
68KB, 659x500px
>>49862226

>RWBG isn't a named color combination
It's dune brood, pleb
>>
>>49862363
(You)
>>
>>49862328
If you snap a bolt you spent 4 mana to do 6 damage. Not really worth it in my opinion.
>>49862304
I was more of the mind just cutting Nacatl for Bump mainboard, and then having Rain of Gore and Rakdos Charm for the side. Of course with Splinter Twin gone the third mode of RCharm isn't as useful anymore.
>>
>>49862373

:) tyvm
>>
>>49862377
So you plan on cutting out nacatl to play rain of fire, even though life gain is irrelevant in the format? Ya know what? Go for it. Not gonna repeat myself again
>>
>>49862373
Eh, he has a point anon. Like I said in >>49862304, the nephalim names are occasionally used. But if you use them, people will Google what colours they are
>>
>>49862461
Rain of Gore. Do decks not rely on lifegain to fight Burn anymore?
>>
>>49862503

Alternatively you could go with Uless/blueless, gets the point across
>>
File: modernabzanliege.jpg (4MB, 7656x2340px) Image search: [Google]
modernabzanliege.jpg
4MB, 7656x2340px
I'm thinking of cutting mage for ghost quarter because of the double black is hard to cast sometimes. thoughts on deck and sb?
>>
>>49863343
Where them goyfs at?
>>
>>49863343
Tron is probably your weakest match-up, though not as prevalent as it once, and more land destruction is never a bad thing
>>
>>49863343
wh re the eggs
>>
>>49863464
Why would you need or want eggs?
>>
>>49863537
Goes good with bacon
>>
>>49863551
>>/ck/
>>
>>49863551
Can't argue with that
>>
>>49863411
Fuck paying $500 for a playset, rather spend my money elsewhere.
>>
>>49863459
More land destruction in the form of what?
>>
>>49864389
Crumble to dust

OR:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&text=+[Destroy]+[Target]+[Land]&format=+[%22Modern%22]&color=+![W]+![G]
>>
>>49864389
...ghost quarter
>>
>>49863459

It's *not* more land destruction, he's cutting fulminator mages

So it's like, equal-ish
>>
>>49863411

Abzan Liege doesn't play Goyf's. There's no point when your dudes are bigger than Goyf
>>
>>49859805
>secret sideboard tech
Darkblast against Infect as Grixis Delver
>>
>>49863343

Chalice is a decent option against Tron on the play because once you cast a Birds/Hierarch a Chalice on 1 slows them down tremendously. Even if you don't have Birds/Hierarch to cast turn 1 the Chalice on 1 will still slow down them long enough to beat in the face.
>>
>>49866312
Not by themselves
>>
>>49866405
what is Chalice of the Void good against besides a Tron matchup?
>>
>>49866804
burn, delver, suicide zoo, affinity
>>
>>49866804

Affinity and Burn when on the play. Suicide Zoo and Delver in some fringe cases. Always bring Chalice out in the matchups when you're on the draw though.
>>
>>49866853
>>49866875
Do people usually just cast the card at 1 against most of these matchups?
>>
tg, why is blue moon largely absent in the current meta? too clunky?

>>49866804
have you seen infect's curve?
also not useless vs AN, random storm decks, and cascade decks
>>
>>49866893

Against Affinity you put it at 0 and 1.
Against burn you put it at 1 and 2.
Against Delver you put it at 1 and 2(0 is acceptable if you see Ancestral Vision turn 1 happening though not all lists play it)
Against Suicide Zoo you put it at 1 and 2.
>>
>>49866964
>Against Affinity you put it at 0 and 1
shouldn't you set it to 0 and 2? all the scary stuff is at 2cmc
>>
>>49867044

You put it at 0 and 1 when on the play they can't cast shit against you. No Memnites, Ornithopters or Mox Opals. 1 shuts off their Galvanic Blasts and Drums. Arcbounder Ravager is not as scary when there's nothing to feed it.
>>
>>49867125
>>49867044
0 hits mox Opal. That deck has a really really hard time with explosive plays when their opener was banking on a mox
>>
Hey boys, do you think I should be running Dismembers instead of Vapor snags in Merfolk? Dismembers are really the only removal available without splashing white, which, in my opinion is worse than mono-blue. Snags allow me to save my lords and bounce creatures back to the OPS hand. Taking it to Milwaukee, so I have no idea what the meta is over there.
>>
>>49867857
Don't most lists already run wanderwine hub? why splash black for removal that costs you 4 life when you're already able to run a 1-mana removal spell.
I can see running both or a mix of them, but I think path is too good to pass up especially if your deck already facilitates it, which merfolk does
>>
>>49867857
Run dismembers. Do it. They're your best removal options without the white splash.
>>
>>49867888
Yeah, and most lists run them because they dodge choke and boil. If hubs are my only source of white, I could be left with a dead card in hand, as I would have to wait in order to draw a hub, which also banks on me having a merfolk in hand if I wanna cast it the same turn as I draw the hub. Splashing with the fetches and shocks just puts fish in a weird position, since we only pay life for dismembers if we have to.
>>
>>49868252
Definitely a fair point, I didn't know how many hubs the deck ran.
In that case yeah run dismember, such a crazy tempo card.
I actually didn't know that about hub though, I've only played the deck a handful of times and just assumed it was for something else.
>>
If any of you weirdos need a bed in Milwaukee I'll share my other one for a few pieces of Ad Nauseam or like 50$
It's right across the street from the venue and retardedly expensive so if you don't want to pay out the ass and don't mind sleeping in the same room as a stranger feel free. I'm not autistic and I'm not going to rape you, I just want to cut my losses a little.
I won't be in the city until late so you'd have to wait until like midnight but if you can handle that it's yours.
>>
>>49859805
>Playan'
Mono-U Faeries
>Builda'n
U/B Faeries
>Watcha Hatin
not getting the play
>Secret Sideboard Tech
Ninjas + basic hate spells
>>
Hey guys, my first modern deck is a U Tron, came from standard and I'm facing an aggressive creature meta. Should I put some Warping Wail somewhere on the list?

1 Academy Ruins
4 Condescend
4 Expedition Map
1 Fabricate
8 Island
1 Mindslaver
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Platinum Angel
4 Remand
3 Repeal
2 Spatial Contortion
1 Tectonic Edge
4 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Tolaria West
1 Treasure Mage
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower
2 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Chalice of the Void
1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
2 Anticipate
2 Silent Arbiter
1 Cyclonic Rift

SB: 1 Bottle Gnomes
SB: 2 Steel Wall
SB: 2 Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 1 Spatial Contortion
SB: 2 Squelch
SB: 1 Sundering Titan
SB: 2 Hibernation
SB: 2 Thought-Knot Seer
SB: 2 Warping Wail
>>
>>49868877

Replace Ulamog TCH with Sundering Titan to make Jeskai and BGx decks cry. 4 Thirsts is too many especially if you run 2 Anticipates, 3 will do. Silent Arbiters are SB material at best, its better to have Solemn Simulacrums or Thought Knot Seers on those slots. I prefer the former because you want it to die while it fetches you a land and a card, the latter is alright due to the big body and disruption as well, but its all according to preference.

Batterskull is also a welcome addition. Especially in aggro heavy metas. Chalice of the Void used to be optional before, but now its become a necessity, 2 MB and usually 1 SB
>>
>>49869485
>>49868877

You're also lacking Condescends MB. Hibernation can be Aetherize if you're scared of Elves or Zoo in general, since the latter hits more decks than just green based ones.
>>
>>49869485
>>49869504

I do run 4 Condescends, it's the second card on that list. The Batterskull and Aetherize will come in handy, thanks for the suggestions, I think that will help a lot.
>>
>>49869581

Hurrr didnt see those sorry. Also, you could use some Spreading Seas in your SB. It takes care of Jund and RG Tron (although the latter just slows them down rather than cripple them). You can put them in place of Squelch
>>
>>49857739
Affinity doesn't get linearly more broken when they keep pushing GWx goodstuff creatures at the expense of everything else. There will never be another Mirrodin.
>>
any good feels out there today?
i had:
>tfw winning through a t4 emmy
>tfw 6/7 goyf vs eldrazi
>>
>>49871042
Burning another UWR player to death the turn after he revved for 5 was pretty cool.

Lightning Bolt is a fucking stupid card, I feel gross when I play it.
>>
>>49868877

You may want to upgrade your side by replacing Bottle Gnomes with Filigree Familiar from Kaladesh. It's pretty much like one half Bottle Gnomes and one half Solemn Simulacrum for cmc 3.
>>
>>49871042

>Opponent at 8 life
>Have Norin, Lightning Mauler and Purphoros in play
>Play Hanweir Garrison, Purphoros deals 2 damage, Norin gets exiled, pair with Mauler so Garrison gets haste, both attacks, generates 2 Human 1/1 tokens, Purphoros deals 4 damage to opponent.
>He blocks all of them
>Eot, Norin comes back, Purphoros deals 2 more damage, ending the game

Funnest deck
>>
>>49871141
>Lightning Bolt is a fucking stupid card, I feel gross when I play it.
It's actually one of my least favourite magic cards. It's so format warping
>>
>>49871893
I think Bolt is the most powerful card in the game outside of Vintage cards.

It invalidates most creatures 3CMC or lower, goes to the face, or kills Planeswalkers. And the fact that it's 1 mana allows it to enable tempo plays like Delver that otherwise wouldn't happen.

If it wasn't for Bolt keeping most Planeswalkers out of most competitive play, I would be pretty happy if they got rid of it.
>>
>>49871893
After being on Esper for so long and then going back to UWR with this brew >>49839702, I'm being reminded of how many free wins you can get out of the 4 Bolt/4 Helix/3 Electrolyze/4 Tiago package (not to mention extra flashbacks from Gearhulk and Resto shenanigans). Like, winning games off of one Clique hit, one Colonnade hit, and 4 bolts of various kinds is fun and all, but it feels cheap.
>>
>>49872016
>If it wasn't for Bolt keeping most Planeswalkers out of most competitive play, I would be pretty happy if they got rid of it.

This is why I don't mind bolt

Especially with Wizards forcing so many planeswalkers nowadays
>>
>>49872324
The way I look at it is, given the sorry economic state of Modern, I'd rather just have bolts and play with them than have to pick up a playset of a fucking Planeswalker that is completely nuts.

Look at Jund, it's pretty much had to buy a playset of $20+ cards every new set (and at one time just outright needing 4 Bobs).
>>
>>49852969
In legacy, there is.
In modern, it doesn't
>>
Top 3 boring decks in MEMEDERN

1. Infect
2. Affinity
3. Burn
>>
>>49872095
It's fucking shitty because I want to play control and not a snap-bolt deck and that just isn't possible on modern
>>49872324
>>49872016
Most planeswalkers are utter trash and creatures kill them easily.
That said there needs to be more cheap removal for walkers, like path style removal.
>>
>>49872095
>Not going Jeskai Nahiri
meh
>>
>>49873345
>Jeskai Nahiri

Meme deck
>>
File: 7ab.png (269KB, 459x360px) Image search: [Google]
7ab.png
269KB, 459x360px
>>49873583
>le nahiri meme is still alive
>>
>>49872471
You really nailed it out of the park with that post hey?
>>
>>49873345
>making something new is more "meh" than using a stock list from one of the most popular archetypes
ok
>>
>>49868283
Oh sweet! How are you liking Merfolk?
>>
>>49859997
>>49859828
There are burn lists that cheap. Mono G Stompy is objectively bad compared to the bulk of the format but you can pretty consistently win at least 2/3 of your games if you learn how to play it and it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>49872095
I miss playing Zoo and just going off with bolts and Boros Charms. Never feel bad about zapping people.
>>
>>49872095
>but it feels cheap.
Kys
>>
I've got Legacy Dredge but I never play it anymore. How is dredge in Modern? And I mean real Dredge not goofy manaless dredge.
>>
>>49875516
It's great in the format but it doesn't feel the same as legacy dredge because it can't really play from it's graveyard the same. I play legacy dredge but modern dredge feels like shit compared to it
>>
>>49852682
Maybe we don't need cut and pasted dogshit-tier general threads all the time OP.

Maybe you should fuck off.
>>
>>49875565
Yeah I'm not feeling these lists. Really I was just looking to see if it was a list that I could use my playset of Liliana.
>>
>>49875663
Nope
Modern Dredge is almost as expensive as legacy dredge anyway because of the fucking manabase it runs. I was thinking about making my dredge deck into a modern one and it just isn't worth it
>>
>>49875707
I'm lucky, looks like I have most of it from standard way back when. Ah well, thanks for the info.
>>
>>49875754
Build it if you want to get into the format and can build it for less than 150$
Otherwise, stay far away from modern
>>
>>49875840
Why are you miserable people even here? If you hate modern so much just fuck off
>>
File: IMG_3663.jpg (27KB, 635x292px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3663.jpg
27KB, 635x292px
I still laugh whenever I read this
>>
File: turn2,7mana.jpg (459KB, 758x1043px) Image search: [Google]
turn2,7mana.jpg
459KB, 758x1043px
>>49859805
>Whatcha playin'?
bushwacker zoo
>Whatcha buildin'?
Dredge/naya burn
>Whatcha hatin'?
abzan CoCo
nothing spicy for my main decks, in stompy i run savage summoning/gutteral because fuck control
looking at the banlist, preordain doesent seem THAT harmful. if i had to pick something i guess that
>>
Thoughts on GW Tron?
>>
>>49872471
Affinity and Infect are actually really fun. They're only boring to pilot when the opponents are incompetent and have no idea how to play against the decks. Or if opponent just has no interaction.
>>
>>49863343
Vault seems way worse than another township or a catacombs.

You've got weird numbers on your creatures. like why 3 noble? It's easily better than birds by a mile in this type of deck. Why only one KOTR? If anything the card I would be looking to trim to 2-3 is siege rhino, he's just not as good in the meta as he used to be.

Why Nihil spellbomb in your GWb deck? Why not RIP? I get that you have a good amount of cards that interact with the graveyard, but all of them are nearly irrelevant in the dredge matchup. Just try and kill them on turn 2.
>>
>>49867888
Nigga, 4 hubs isn't enough to reliably get white mana online. Also most lists just one one or two hubs if any.
>>
I'm thinking of updating the Battle for Zendikar Event Deck to an Abzan Aristocrats deck. What key pieces should I be after?
>>
>>49879478
>Aristocrats "deck"
nah
>>
>>49877756
If your meta's nothing but burn and suicide zoo it's arguably better than GR with Paths and Timely Reinforcements. Losing Pyroclasm hurts the Affinity MU and Crumble is better in the mirror and vs Valakut than anything you get from white. Both builds are strictly better than blue or gifts. Sacred Ground is pretty dank but Loam's better in the long game (loop sanctum to get all your wurmcoils 1 by 1 or run opponent out of lands with quarter).
>>
>>49871893
>>49872016
>>49872095
you are all weirdos. bolt is a fun card and one of the best reasons to play magic

>>49875484
this guy knows where it's at
>>
>>49878364

Not the same guy but you answered your own question already. While RiP is powerful Nihil Spellbomb is one sided and can be cast for 1 no matter the mana available. There are times when Wilt-Leaf Abzan may not have access to white mana turn 1 or 2 and by that time RiP may be too late. The one KOTR is used to tutor up a Vault or Gavony Township.
>>
>>49881845
If you don't have white mana turn two in your GW deck in modern, you lost the game already. Nihil Spellbomb relies on a splash color to be fully effective, and even then its just a speedbump for dredge. RiP wins the game turn two if you have it. One KOTR as a tutor between 2 one of lands is retarded. Kotr is one of the best beaters in the format if your deck can support it, every deck that wants it should want 4. I'm pretty sure he only has one for budget reasons but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>49859805
>Whatcha playin'?
Junk knight tribal, it's cash as fuck

>Whatcha buildin'?
Trying to put together a loam deck, I fucking love that card

>Whatcha hatin'?
Not much right now, actually. Normally I hate something. Huh.

Nuffin

Punishing fire, it's just too slow, it's a 2 card combo that doesn't even hit most of the relevant creatures in the format. At worst it's an overpriced shock and at best it's a 5 mana flame slash. It really hurts what.. elves? Punishing fire is super overrated.
>>
>>49857225
>Looks good but it's not really true midrange, something like giest requires a lot of removal to get through. I mean a deck that just wants to go to topdeck mode because every spell drawn a will be good

Problem is that blue doesn't have a lot of good creatures for midrange stuff. Need green to do that, and then you're playing Abzan.

You might be able to do well with some sort of Esper Delve shell like Patrick Chapin ran back in the day, but adding some additional creatures like Monastery Mentor.
>>
What do you guys think about the Madcap/Platinum combo for Blue Moon?
>>
>>49882961
From what I've played of and against the deck it seems good, probably the best shell for it
>>
>>49882961
Why does nobody play blue moon anymore?
>>
>>49883655
People are playing a lot of unfair and fast decks and blue moon can't really stop them
the deck has some auto-win matchups but right now it just can't handle decks like burn and infect even with a turn 3 moon, it's just not enough to stabilize
>>
>>49881845
So there's basically no reason not to play Leyline instead of RIP, it's one-sided, free if it's in your opener, and you have the colors (and dorks) to cast it if it isn't in your opener.
>>
>>49883782
But it runs all sorts of burn and cheap counters. The format is beyond help if turn 2 is too late to leak something
>>
>>49882961
>Madcap Experiment in Blue Moon
>Reveal Vedalken Shackles
k
>>
>>49883915
So does Jeskai Nahiri and look at that fucking trainwreck
>inb4 someone posts some meme from nexus saying it's a tier 1 deck
>>
>>49883950
Tiers are an indication of how frequently a deck is played.
MWR is not considered when assigning tiers.
>>
>>49872324
Agree, it's a problem standard has a lot of times in the past. When interaction is low with Planeswalkers they just single handedly take over a game and there isn't a way for you to really stop it.
>>
>>49871042
What were you playing against?
>>
>>49882961
just looked at the mtgs thread for blue moon and it was not at all what i expected. it's kind of a mess.
list-wise, looks like a lot of decks have dropped shackles and only play 6 counters. also, why doesn't the deck play spreading seas?

>>49885265
emmy was skred against a reanimator/breach deck. in game 3 i went to 5 life and no board on turn 4. about 10 turns later he hardcasts grizzy and i kill it with combat damage+bolt+skred and he forgot to activate grizzy before he died. finish him off later with skred to reckoner. both of us made several blunders that game

second one was bant eldrazi. that was a pretty fun match.
game 1 i flipped three delvers to a lightning helix but didn't get my second land 'til the turn before he could have stabilized.
game 2 he didn't wanna throw displacer and tks in front of goyf, went to 1 life, and i burned him out with snap-bolt
>>
>>49885561
>flipped three delvers to a lightning helix
>goyf
Counter Cat?
>>
>>49885623
yeah i was the anon hawking it last thread. it's a pretty good time and probably has decent potential to be optimized. iirc i did ok against burn too, which is kind of crazy considering the mana normally does 8 damage to you.
>>
>>49885679
List?
>>
File: 8delver.jpg (50KB, 300x480px) Image search: [Google]
8delver.jpg
50KB, 300x480px
>>49885722
notable sideboard cards: isochron scepter, boros charm, elspeth knight-errant, huntmaster
>>
>>49885801
If you're on cockatrice, want to have a couple of games?
>>
>>49885844
sure
>>
>>49885860
Gimme a minute to finish this game. Host a room, put a password on it or something.
>>
>>49885879
smiley face game, password: modern is dead
also, i'm not that good or anything
>>
File: deflecting palm.png (129KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
deflecting palm.png
129KB, 223x311px
When this card was printed, I told you how good it was
you didn't believe me
Now I'm running it in Boros Burn and laughing at aggro babies
>>
>>49886068
>only ever good against Grishoalbrand or Affinity, or Infect's t2 kill if you're on the play
K
>>
>>49886149
>strictly better Lightning Helix against any decks with power 3 or more on their creatures
>bad
Knightfall called, he wants to cry on your shoulder
>>
>>49886216
Knightfall is a shit meme at best and hasn't been relevant since BFZ was still new
>>
>>49859002
>Assuming money is no object, what's a good deck to build first?
First, understand the different formats:
http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats
Secondly, decide how much money you're willing to spend on this game and how competitive you want to be.
If you want to spend little money and play casually, play commander.
If you want to spend some money and play competitively, play Modern and Limited.
If you want to spend a lot of money and play casually, play Standard.
If you want to spend a lot of money and play competitively, play Legacy.
If you want to spend a lot of money and never get to play, play Vintage.
>>
>>49886149

Not the same guy but do not underestimate this card. I have used this in Burn with Boros Charm against Elves to give an enemy overrun'd Elf double strike and then played Deflecting Palm and kill my opponent on the first strike combat damage step.
>>
opinions about this aggro-combo /tg/?
-

3 steam vents
4 scalding tarn
2 sulfure falls
3 spirebluff canal
3 island
2 mountain

3 monastery swiftspear
2 simian spirit guide
4 thing in the ice
4 bedlam reveler

4 manamorphose
4 twincast
4 lightning bolt
4 mutagenic growth
2 apostle's blessing
4 gitaxian probe
4 temur battle rage
4 faithless looting

side:
2 dispel
2 shattering spree
2 twisted image
2 blood moon
1 swan song
1 apostle's blessing
1 slip through space
2 vapor snag
1 temporal trespass
1 gut shot
>>
>>49886339
Have you goldfished/playtested it?
At what turn do you want to win?
I suspect the spirit guides could be too fast, but I'm not sure.
Also, I wouldn't leave home without a spellskite and some GY hate in the 75.
>>
>>49886149

It also ruins deaths shadow meme.
>>
>>49886470
>Have you goldfished/playtested it?
no
>At what turn do you want to win?
in best case scenario third turn

also, have you noticed if the twincast on manamorphose allow you to change the mana combination in the twincasted manamorphose?

PS i don't use twincast for boost the Thing but for put in the graveyard more cards as i can for the bedlam reveler
>>
>>49886784
Twincast is not a good card, you're playing 17 lands and half of your spells are 2-drops. Replace is with Serum Visions, you'll be much happier.
>>
>>49886784
You choose the combination of mana to create upon resolution of manamorphose, right? So in theory a copied manamorphose should be able to create different mana.
>>
>>49877756
You do gain super-awesome tech with
Call the Gatewatch
>>
>>49886784
>for put in the graveyard more cards as i can
just use serum visions and thought scour
playing 4, it seems like you'll get caught with two revelers in hand sometimes.
>>
>>49882354
Punishing Fire does work against affinity and infect. Only crazy ravager hands can do anything against it, and infect can protect its guys once or twice per game; if it protects for more than that, then it won't have the pump to kill you quick enough before your own plan kicks in.
>>
>>49886828
okay, thanks for the hint.
i've wondering about twincast because give me more chance to pull put a second turn win (not third as i mention few post above).
1st turn: harambe + land -> thing
2st turn: second land -> manamorphose, twincast (or another manamorphose), gitaxian, mutagenic, temur rage = 20 damage
it requires some luckyness but it can work.
maybe replace the swiftspear with the serum visions and take out 1/2 faithless looting could anyway work?
>>
>>49887100
okay i'll take care of this hint
>>
>>49887155
The thing with that T2 kill is that you can't Twincast your manamorphose t2 because you used your 2 mana on casting the manamorphose.

Don't take out Swiftspear, it's one of the best cards for what you want to be doing.
A list that would be more consistant would be this:

3 steam vents
4 scalding tarn
2 sulfure falls
3 spirebluff canal
3 island
2 mountain

4 monastery swiftspear
4 simian spirit guide
4 thing in the ice
2 bedlam reveler

4 manamorphose
4 lightning bolt
4 mutagenic growth
2 apostle's blessing
4 gitaxian probe
3 temur battle rage
4 Thought Scour
4 Serum Visions
>>
>>49887155
oops my bad, mutagenic is +2+2. so third turn win best case scenario
>>
>>49887207
If you're going for your magical christmasland kill
t1 SSG, land, cast Thing
t2 Mutagenic, Mutagenic, combination of 2 manamorphose/probe/mutagenic, TBR
>>
>>49887188
>you can't Twincast your manamorphose t2 because you used your 2 mana on casting the manamorphose.
so as i asked here ( >>49886784 ) i can't do? 2mana -> manamorphose choosing 2 blue
2mana blue -> twincast manamorphose but choosing this time another combination of mana with manamorphose
>>
>>49887240
You can't cast a spell while a spell's resolving. By the time your manamorphose has given you mana, it's too late to twincast it.
>>
>>49887155
I love Christmas! My turn!
>t1: Ssg Island >thing
>t2: mountain, Pyretic ritual Pyretic ritual mana Morphous (choose black blue) visions (flip thing) cast mutagenic growth on it than tainted strike
>>
>>49887726
Christmas? I wanna try!
>T1: SSG, Faithless Looting, discard Griselbrand and Borborygmos Enraged, SSG, Blackcleave Cliffs, Goryo's Vengeance Griselbrand, draw 14 cards, SSG, SSG, Desperate Ritual, Desperate Ritual, Nourishing Shoal pitching Worldspine Wurm, splice Through The Breach, put in an extra Worldspine Wurm, swing for 22
>>
When will wizard's give modern a force?
>>
>>49887903
force?
>>
>>49888187
fucking newfags
>>
>>49888284
new fag?
>>
>>49887903

Disrupting shoal is the closest we will ever get
>>
>>49887903
Counterspell would be enough for Modern.
>>
File: serious lee.jpg (9KB, 295x343px) Image search: [Google]
serious lee.jpg
9KB, 295x343px
>>49886784
>>Have you goldfished/playtested it?
>no
>>
File: cf2.jpg (14KB, 126x122px) Image search: [Google]
cf2.jpg
14KB, 126x122px
>>49888187
Force of Nature.
>>
>>49888540
Yeah we have one, a daze would be nice too IMHO
>>49889400
No not at all. Mana leak is functionally a counter on turn two, so is logic knot. What modern needs is free counters like daze or force, that either are a big tempo loss or a 2-for-1. Counterspell doesn't stop glistener elf.
>>
are humans any good in modern, or just a standard meme?
>>
File: Image.jpg (33KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
33KB, 223x310px
Need Tips for my 4 color Zubera Spirits Control deck im brewing
>>
>>49890012
>are humans any good in modern
No.
>>
>>49890013

Here's a tip, give up.
>>
File: 1474608730275.jpg (7KB, 250x225px) Image search: [Google]
1474608730275.jpg
7KB, 250x225px
>>49890013
they're not even trying anymore
>>
>>49887903

>implying force won't be shit in modern

There's not enough insane combos to warrant it in modern.
>>
>>49885679
Cool. I missed last thread but I play this sometimes when I'm not on monkey grow. I couldn't pass up the chance to play scepter
>>
>>49886470
Is goldfishing actually useful or just a gimmick?
Do people take into account removal/creatures/etc?
>>
>>49891401
For a combo deck yes
For really aggro decks like death's shadow or this deck, I'd say yeah probably just to get a glimpse of how it operates and how quickly it can kill
>>
>>49891401
Goldfishing a deck is by no means gimmicky. Anyone will tell you you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you're expecting your real games to go like your goldfish games, but it's important to know what your average hand will look like, what your board states would/could look like, and how quickly you will kill. Its a good way to get an idea of how balanced your deck is and how often you get what you want and how often things look like dead draws to balance out your copies.

Of course it can only go so far, but playing a few hands vs a goldfish is a great way to test.
>>
What's cheapest "competitive" deck out there ? Some kind anon said burn but I don't know.
>>
>>49892319
Infect
>>
>>49892319
Naya Burn is Tier 1, and is probably the easiest deck to build into on a budget.
>>
>>49892319
burn is pretty cheap and so is merfolk, but i would recommend trying a bunch of decks and seeing what you actually enjoy.

One of the nicest things about modern is that you don't have to go all in, you can make small upgrades to a deck over time.

It took me 18 months to finalize twin when it was still a part of the format.
>>
>>49859805
playing mardu token control
building ashiok control
>>
File: 1476948715291.png (400KB, 741x831px) Image search: [Google]
1476948715291.png
400KB, 741x831px
>>49892384
> tfw I just bought a $60 twin deck

Here's to hoping it's unbanned. Until then, the kitchen table will have to do.
>>
>>49892416
As much as I loved playing the deck, I don't see it ever coming back.
People despise playing against it and it's too format warping.
>>
>>49892440
But it really wasn't format warping. At the time of the ban, the meta had adjusted, people had figured out how to play against it, and it was sitting at just about 11%. That is slightly higher Than other tier 1 decks.

And don't say "sideboard slots dedicated to Twin is format warping". That's like saying dredge is format warping because people have to pack grave hate.
>>
>>49892511
I think the reason it was hit is because the deck has existed in relatively the same state with relatively the same meta showing throughout the history of the format. Did it deserve to get hit? Probably not, but I get why Wizards did it
Pod on the other hand really did need to get hit
>>
>>49889400
please don't reprint Counterspell WotC.
It's not enough to make Blue good, but having good counterspells only makes everyone complain about Blue more than usual, meaning that Blue is unlikely to get the good cards it actually needs to be relevant.

>tfw no good cards since first Innistrad

RG/RUG is fun, but I just want decent beaters that aren't green.
>>
>>49892352
>>49892359
>>49892384

Well I'm willing to spend up to $100 on a deck.
>>
>>49892574
$100 is not enough to build a competitive deck.

You can build mono Red Burn, or mono green Stompy, and they might be good enough to 2- 2 or 3- 1 at fnm, but not much more than that.
>>
>>49892574
that wont even get you the lands you need for any of those decks
>>
Havent played since poo in loo prerelease. Anything from kaladesh make it into modern? Any big meta changes?
>>
>>49892633
>Anything from kaladesh make it into modern
blossoming defense in infect
other than that, nothing really
>>
>>49892633
nu-chandra was a flop. Everyone who speculated got burned
>>
>>49892511
One of the most problematic aspects of twin was the fact that "dedicated sideboard slots" didn't work.
I realized the deck was broken when I started crushing BGx by sideboarding into Keranos and Tasigur while my opponent was stuck with dead Abrupt Decays.
If you run down the meta at the time, you'll see there are almost no bad matchups for twin and a ton of favorable ones.
>>
>>49892610
>>49892615
Jesus Christ!
Since when did magic get so expensive ?
>>
>>49892699
remember shivan dragon?
>>
File: Doom-Ward.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Doom-Ward.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
Would a card like this help to balance the modern format?
>>
>>49892574
If you dont really care what you are playing, $100 can probably get you a solid Elves deck that will perform at fnm.

4x Llanowar Elves
4x Elvish Mystic
4x Nettle Sentinel
4x Heritage Druid

4x Dwynen's Elite
4x Elvish Visionary

4x Elvish Archdruid
2x Ezuri Renegade Leader
4x Imperious Perfect

4x Collected Company
4x Lead the Stampede

18x Forest
>>
>>49892831

The autism containment thread is this way anon

>>49852111
>>
>>49859678
>net decking ruins the game and wizard agrees with it
Wow.
>>
>>49856464
Affinity is great but it's somewhat meta dependent, if everyone's playing it then people will pack much more SB hate for it, causing it to drop in popularity for a time until people don't expect as much of it anymore and take out a bit of the SB hate for something else that's popular. Then people start playing it again because there's not as much hate. Rinse and repeat. It's a good deck to have if you know you can break it out when no one's prepared for it, but if you want to have a consistently amazing deck I would buy into Jund, Junk, Bant Eldrazi, or Infect.
>>
>>49859770
yeah but who cares? it gets solved each season anyway, the internet just drastically sped up the process
>>
>>49857270
I agree with everyone else, I've never heard someone refer to Stoneforge as Misty, that just makes me think of Misty Rainforest. If anything people just call it SFM
>>
>>49859678
He thinks mono black devotion is tier 2.5 in modern. I don't think he understands how tiers work.
>>
>>49866951
Even though Blood Moon can absolutely fuck an opponent, it's not a consistent enough gameplan as a good portion of decks can still function, as well as the fact that the decks it's good against can have you dead on T3 anyway. Other than that, it's an inferior control deck compared to any other control deck in the format (which are mostly doing poorly right now anyway). Plus if you go up against a deck that doesn't care about Moon, like Affinity for example, you almost always just lose because the deck isn't great outside of that card. It gives up a lot of card quality in order to run Moon, and the upside is hardly worth it. If you want to play a Blood Moon deck I'd run Skred Red but that deck is also extremely meta dependent, it's only good in an extremely heavy creature meta. Basically all the mainboard Blood Moon decks are too meta dependent to be consistently good.
>>
>>49879652
Then again if your meta is only burn and suicide zoo you shouldn't be playing tron at all.
>>
>>49893199
I prefer rug moon. Tarmogoyf makes everything better
>>
>>49883782
It's an inferior control deck compared to Jeskai, Grixis, etc. but makes up for it with Blood Moon, however 1. Jeskai and Grixis aren't good right now because control in general aren't good right now, and 2. If you're against a deck that doesnt care about Moon you basically just lose, as again, you're playing an inferior control deck without Moon
>>
>>49893259
Sure but then you lose the consistency of being able to cast all your spells a good percentage of the time. It's why no one plays Blood Moon Jund, when it works it's great but it's so mediocre when you can't cast your spells, and also just base Jund is usually better anyway.
>>
>>49892699
Honestly, I'd say it was around 2010.
>>
>>49893406
More like 2006.
>>
>>49893475
What decks or cards were notably expensive outside of vintage?
>>
>>49893349
It's not hard. Rug delver manages to slam moons out of the board and go on just fine
>>
>>49892633
Cathartic is seeing 3-4of play in Dredge
>>
>>49878364
OP of the Abzan-liege post,

Vault has won me many of games, its good against a mirror-match or jund, it's a good option if i want to fetch it with Knight of the Reliquary.

I run 3 birds instead of 4 noble because I like tapping for double black for Fulminator Mage and the mana fix for black in general is nice just in case.

I prefer Nihil Spellbomb over Rest in Peace because the tempo that spellbomb goes off works better for the deck. Some dredge decks run Ray of Revelation as well, so its not a guarantee rest of peace will do its work. I believe Nihil Spellbomb covers more decks other than just dredge as well more efficiently.
I won't deny Rest in Peace is powerful, just haven't been the biggest fan of it testing it.
>>
>>49893640
Didn't Ravager hit $35 a little after Fifth Dawn. I guess it depends on your definition of expensive.
>>
File: 1452898503803.jpg (27KB, 480x552px) Image search: [Google]
1452898503803.jpg
27KB, 480x552px
Im looking to put together my first serious/semi serious deck and like the idea of control decks with win conditions on a reasonable clock so thopter sword has perked my interest. How does this list look? I know that nahiri would probably be better in most situations but theres already a few people playing it in some form at my LGS and special snowflake syndrome forces me to be different.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13022&d=276003&f=MO

1 Academy Ruins
4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
2 Sulfur Falls

4 Snapcaster Mage

4 Ancestral Vision
2 Cryptic Command
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Lightning Helix
3 Mana Leak
2 Muddle the Mixture
4 Path to Exile
3 Serum Visions
2 Supreme Verdict

1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Sword of the Meek
3 Thopter Foundry

>inb4 >modern >control
>>
>>49895767

Where's the sphinx rev? How can you play UW without reving for 15?
>>
I always loved Thing in the Ice, and I just saw in mtggoldfish "Suicide Bloo".
Seems a fun deck to build (probably will change Scalding tarns for the other 2 cheaper fetches (Bloodstain Mire and Flooded Strand).
What are your opinions on the Deck?
Is it worth while when considering Infect and Suicide Zoo as "Hyper" Aggro/Combo deck?
Considering I already own Bant Eldrazi (most likely Infect would be cheaper to build, since Nobles and Windswept Heaths) and Merfolks.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.