[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/srg/ - Shadowrun General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 63

File: 1470731771347.jpg (114KB, 445x513px) Image search: [Google]
1470731771347.jpg
114KB, 445x513px
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to ARESNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>49149057
>Milspec armor: Because if runners don't play nice, you don't have to either.trid
>Arrest Report Form #76492049.zdf
>How to use SINless scum for your purposes.knwsft
>Desert Wars Team registration form.zdf

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 100 (87% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled 'Miller, do you have the report from last week?'
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Beating Punks.BTL...

>Shoot straight (Because filling Reports sucks)
>Conserve ammo (Because Armory is manned by cheapskates)
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon (Unless it's an ARES Dragon)

Security Firm edition.
>>
File: 1473036519590.jpg (2MB, 1000x1914px) Image search: [Google]
1473036519590.jpg
2MB, 1000x1914px
Stat her legs.
>>
File: adam_jensen.jpg (519KB, 1280x1699px) Image search: [Google]
adam_jensen.jpg
519KB, 1280x1699px
>>49183210
What does an obvious cyber torso or skull look like?
>>
>>49183638
Maxed out Str, Optimized for Running on both legs.

>>49183740
Depending on stylings, think Terminator or the MC of the game Rise of the Robots.
>>
File: Bomber Jacket Gang - Close Up.jpg (352KB, 780x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bomber Jacket Gang - Close Up.jpg
352KB, 780x1000px
How does /srg/ feels about Gangers, in particular PCs with a Ganger background?
>>
>>49184069
Boosters or bust
>>
>>49184069
I love gangs of all shapes and sizes, and have most types of gangs in my current campaign. I have 5 Go-Gangs, 5 Mafia Families, 3 Russian groups, 2 Triads and a Seoulpa.

I love 'em. They're the best mooks.
>>
>>49183638
Max out AGI+STR, get the hydraulic pumps, optimize for running, and get the one cyber or bioware that gives you +2 to all athletic groups.
>>
File: Narrativist garbage.jpg (192KB, 584x747px) Image search: [Google]
Narrativist garbage.jpg
192KB, 584x747px
>tfw no qt3.14 gamist minimal crunch rules lite system for playing Shadowrun
Just geek me like a mage now famalam
>>
>>49185322
>gamist rules lite
The worst
>>
>>49185409
>The worst
That would be simulationist or narrativist anything.
>>
>>49185441
But you're wrong
>>
>>49185441
So sincerely wrong.

Gamist rules lite shit gets boring after three sessions.
>>
>>49185322
>>49185409
>>49185441
i have no idea what any of these words mean. what's the difference between 5e and anarchy
>>
>>49185579
Name a single good simulationist system then. (ignoring narrativist because you can't really argue in good faith with lobotomized FATE and Apocalypseworld hipster-faggots)
>>
>>49185605
>Gamist rules lite shit gets boring after three sessions.
Maybe if your idea of roleplaying is pouring over builds to share on optimization forums.
>>
>>49185669
5E is a gamist system, albeit a poorly edited and overly crunchy one that feels it's necessary to spend paragraphs on rules on how to tread water while failing to explain in a sensible way (without the help of internet forums) how it's 5+ class-based subsystems are meant to work in actual play.
Anarchy is freeform shit built on a points system that you buy rights to describe what happens with. (the system it's based on is meant to do away with GMs entirely)
>>
>>49183740
You can look at the Plastic-faced Man in Shadowrun Hong Kong for a good example of an artistic skull.
>>
>>49185694
GURPS
>>
>>49185843
GURPS doesn't really try to model the real world outside of old editions vehicle rules. It's pretty gamist in actual play imo.
>>
>>49185895
GURPS is one of the most simulationist systems out there. You'd have to be daft to think otherwise.
>>
>>49185912
90% of GURPS isn't simulating anything more than Shadowrun is. It's mainly a game with some mechanics to back up different settings being played in the same game system.
>>
>>49186010
There's rules for non-simulationist stuff, but by and large the focus of the system is in fact on simulationism. You give off the impression of having no concept of what GURPS is.
>>
>>49185322
Anyone got a DL for Anarchy?
>>
>>49186843
It's not out yet

And before you ask: No, that means we don't have it
>>
So I'm greener than a matcha roll when it comes to Shadowrun, and I'm trying to create my character. On the priority list in the meta type column, what do the numbers represent?
>>
>>49185711
Tangential, but it's "poring".
>>
>>49187230
Special Attribute Points (Edge, Magic, Resonance); You can only add these points into Magic or Resonance is you choose something other than priority E for the Third Column, but edge is free up to Racial Max+Lucky.
>>
>>49187230
the number in parentheses is how many special attribute points you get if you take that metatype at thatt priority level

so, if you go human at priority e you get one special attribute point. if you go human at d you get three
>>
>>49187314
>>49187324
Okay, thanks guys
>>
Does anyone have any good city maps or encounter maps?
>>
>>49184069
I love them. They allow PCs to be more colorful for more in-setting reasons. Halloweeners, for example.
>>
Given that there's a distinct lack of melee weapon mods available officially, has anyone home brewed any? Or would there be any interest in whipping some up?
>>
>>49187653
>melee
lmao...
>>
>>49187777
quads of truth
>>
>>49187777
>>49187799
>shitpost
>get quads and dub dubs
Kek is great
>>
Threadly reminder that hooding isn't canon and if you're not playing Shadowrun as a group of amoral mercenaries willing to kill anyone for money then even the devs think you're not playing right.
>>
>>49187936

Times have changed chummer. We cruise through worldwide calamities too easy since 2.0. Tell me when world changing calamities like night of rage and Great Ghost Dance happens
>>
>>49187936
This is why I don't play shadowrun with most people.
>>
>>49187936
Yeah but those same devs are the people who mess up the math on armor and weapons, think Infected are more interesting as feral rage beasts, came up with CFD, create a confusing mess of the Matrix, screw over Technomancers by design and insist on having an economy where a cyberdeck can cost half a million.

so why exactly should I care about their opinion? Why is the canon so important? The canon largely sucks.
>>
>>49188120
>cyberdeck can cost half a million.
There's actually one that costs over a million bucks. Fairlight Paladin, 1,050,000
>>
>>49188340
what are its stats?
>inb4 3/3/3/3
>>
>>49188375
>what are its stats?
9/9/8/8
>>
>>49188120
If you have to ignore the cannon of the setting to have fun, maybe this is the game for you dear.
>>
>>49188437
as said in the last thread
>implying SR is perfect
>>
File: 1395264002432.jpg (283KB, 1920x936px) Image search: [Google]
1395264002432.jpg
283KB, 1920x936px
>>49184069
Go-gangs4lyfe!
>>
>>49188973
>tfw ganger scum shoots open your jelly bean pocket
>>
>>49188120
So you confess that hooding isn't canon and mostly wish-fulfillment for people who want to keep playing Paladins like this is just D&D? Good.
>>
>>49185322
Just use a different system, silly. Savage Worlds still exists.
>>
What's hooding?
>>
>>49189137
tactical sugarless gummy bears
>>
>>49189415
And why not? Shadowrun is basically just D&D with dungeons made of concrete, glass, and steel.

>>49189487
Being Robin Hood. You're running to do what good you can. It's silly to say that it's an improper way to play the game because runners are still human beings and are as such going to possess a variety of perspectives on the matter.
>>
>there are people in this very thread who stabbed their bro in the back and burned the Ares warehouse down
>just so they could keep hanging out with a dwarf and an orc neither of whom will ever ever ever ever fuck you

Cucked so hard you betray your family. Shame on you. Gobbet probably has like ten venereal diseases anyway and Is0bel would have sexual abuse PTSD and lock up if you touched her.
>>
>>49189581

I didn't even know that was a thing. I'm not sure about the motivations for some of our group (I'm pretty sure the heavy weapons troll is just in it to rip people apart, use her rocket launcher, and at some point acquire a helicopter) but my character is literally in it for the money so that he can use it to restore his family's nobility.
>>
>>49189659
Yeah, some people aren't wild about the idea of being a completely amoral mercenary. Really, I'm not sure what this guy's issue is. It's not like even mercenaries in the real world are entirely of one mindset.
>>
>>49189581
>Being Robin Hood. You're running to do what good you can.
Aren't there several examples in the books about runners doing exactly that?
>>
>>49189727

And ending up in shallow graves, broken and constantly hunted while mr amoral merc is sipping mimosas while fucking elven women?

Nice sales pitch for the hooding runner
>>
So what alternate rulesets does everyone here use instead of the SR rules?

>tfw waiting for The Sprawl to add its totally-not-Shadowrun expansion
>>
>>49189826
Fate and Savage Worlds have both worked well for me in the past. One absolute madman of a GM I played under used the Rifts ruleset for it (no, I'm not joking).
>>
>>49189826

I slapped together a Fate Core hack in an afternoon that worked wonderfully, but I need to learn PbtA so I can try The Sprawl. There's also the Profit Engine, the system that Red Markets uses, that looks perfect for SR.
>>
>>49187777

What's so funny?
>>
>>49189727
Meh, kind of.

The current fluff pieces talk about but the JackPointers are edgy as fuck nihilists to a man.
>>
>>49189676

There's amoral and amoral though. Our group has killed a good few people (though I think my character ended up with the biggest body count by proxy and semi-accidentally) but we try and get civilians out of the way first rather than letting them get caught in the crossfire (we set off a lot of fire alarms).
>>
>>49190008
Hey man, I aint saying your way of doing it is wrong, just that some people want to be the good guy.

Though personally I see that going the way of Spec Ops in Shadowrun if the game goes long enough.
>>
>>49189581
>my runner is a Hawaiian shaman on the run from the yakuza who murdered her brother for standing up against Japanese exploitation of the islands
>she was a normal teenage girl up until a year ago and is running the shadows just because she doesn't have an alternative and can't go home
>doesn't kill people because she's not a hardened lifelong criminal

>this is somehow wrong

o k
>>
>>49190081
I didn't say it was wrong.
>>
Hooding is fine, you just need to hire the shadowrunners to do goodguy runs.
>Mercs, we will pay you a lot of money and you kill things
>Hoods, the mission goal is to rescue someone being abused by an evil corp
Ez, win-win
>>
Bug City or Arcology Shutdown, which is better?
>>
>>49190114
Couldn't you just hire the mercs to do that as well? They're mercs, they'll do whatever if you pay them to do it.
>>
>>49190169
Sure you could. But as an employer, I will exploit any hooding tendency in the runner teams I hire.

If I can make them think, they are doing good, while in reality they just make way for my corporate interests, that is the best constellation.
The best expedient cannon fodder, is the one that thinks it is a hero. Heroes fight harder and are not above taking dire personal risks.
>>
>>49190061

Oh yeah I don't mind the existence of hooding either, I just didn't know it was a thing, and like I said there's degrees of amoral. There's bound to be a few who do the whole "nothing personal" thing, and there's others who are doing it for some long term goal (money, power, fame) and plan to quit at some point. And then you get the runners who do it for the thrill.
>>
>>49190275
Counterpoint: mercs are more predictable, keep them well paid and make sure the cost-benefit analysis of fucking you remains heavy on the "cost" side and they're golden. If Hoods are using moral calculus, so if they rumble your game (maybe even before they do the job you give them) you can make an enemy that won't just be bought off. Maybe you can handle some angry runners, of course, but that's still picking a fight for nothing.

Might as well say mercs are great because you just need to convince them the job pays then sucker them too.
>>
Meanwhile over in awakenedville, it is mostly hooding because karma>nuyen
>>
>>49190169
That's exactly what I was saying, I was just pointing out how the same mission can have different objectives depending on who's looking at it. Therefore as long as you give the mission some sort of moralfag objective, the Hoods will be satisfied and Mercs are always satisfied as long as they get paid.
>>
My players are going to help some anarchists boost a prized car from a high security garage. It's being kept in storage in Seattle for a short time before it gets shipped off to detroit. What they don't know is the owner of the car is Damian Knight. What kind of car should it be?
>>
So my last session brought up an interesting question.

When a Rigger jumps in, his "body" effectively becomes the vehicle, so what's the social opinion on when a Rigger is jumped into a plane and someone has to use the plane's bathroom?
>>
>>49189415
No, I was pointing out that it's weird to try and take other people's word for what you're doing in game. Especially when the people handing down that mandate come up with a bunch more incredibly questionable random mandates as well, with speaks to a certain perspective and philosophy that you don't neccessarily share. It's an RPG, if you don't like part of the setting as described you're welcome to ignore it. Why the fuck should I care if a dev writer thinks every shadowrunner should be a murderous nihilist? And spare me the alignment paladin bullshit.

Shadowrunners pretty clearly choose which jobs to go on, so having standards or preferences or prefering one kind of job over another doesn't seem that weird. If you're 100% stone cold murder-nihilist robot who will do anything for cash, that's fine and that's how that works, but I can't see that being much fun long term. You're basically just playing a slasher-villain for hire, turning up to ruin some security guards day. What about new runners? Or normal people who got stuck in a shitty situation? The field is pretty wide. Also mercenaries get hired for a bunch of things. One character in a game was paid 2000 nuyen to find a cat, once. Our team once took 3 sessions to help a clique of street kids find an apartment after the building they were squatting in were in danger of being demolished. Granted, we needed them because one of them was a technomancer who turned out to be helpful but hey, still kinda charitable.

It seems kinda like a game style thing. I sold the game I'm currently running as "basically leverage, but with magic and robots" to people, so perhaps I pre-emptively forced them all into the mindset of semi-decent people.
>>
>>49191574
It means you jave a scat and/or waterworks fetish. /d/ can help you further
>>
>>49191567
A Nissan Jackrabbit
You read that right.

the car is mysteriously not obviously tagged and the onboard computer has no call home protocol
It does however have a spirit constantly watching it.
And once it gets stolen the spirit waits until they bring it to their base to report it's location
>>
File: PhantomCorsair.jpg (159KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
PhantomCorsair.jpg
159KB, 800x555px
>>49191567
pic related
>>
File: 1448943117585.jpg (89KB, 446x576px) Image search: [Google]
1448943117585.jpg
89KB, 446x576px
>>49190753
>make sure the cost-benefit analysis of fucking you remains heavy on the "cost" side

That's the tricky part, though. The c/b ratio is always vulnerable to sudden change, because to the mercenary the greatest benefit to them, worth any cost, is staying alive. The merc would much rather rabbit when the cybertrolls in milspec enter the room, because he knows that he can always try to evade his Johnson and keep working another day.

Meanwhile, the hooding runner might just grab that breaching shield and charge in, knowing it buys time for his buddies to evacuate all the blind puppies from their orphanage. It's not a guarantee, but it's a basic fact that someone who cares about their job will work harder, longer, and go above and beyond, while the guy who's just there to collect a paycheck will not.

And of course we haven't even discussed the Johnson who would prefer true believers. From eco-terrorists to Alamo 20,000 to a mother who's child has been kidnapped, there's lots of people who would prefer to hire people who agree with them and care about the same things they care about.
>>
File: 1327690201061.jpg (639KB, 600x893px) Image search: [Google]
1327690201061.jpg
639KB, 600x893px
>>49191616
>Our team once took 3 sessions to help a clique of street kids find an apartment after the building they were squatting in were in danger of being demolished.

How the fuck did it take that long? It's not like there's a shortage of abandoned buildings in the Sixth World, or landlords who would take a fistful of nuyen to fake the paperwork and take no notice of occupancy limits in his tenement.
>>
>>49191567
An original 1941 Jeep. Browning .50 machine gun attached
>>
>>49191815
Well first we had to deal with the people hired to push the general squatters out of the building, which turned out to be a yakuza sub-group hoping to make big on the real estate.

Then we had to break into a construction company office and get them to transfer most of their revenue to several dummy accounts so we could actually get paid and also afford buying a decently secure apartment for our new friends. Plus we figured we could maybe sell the records of coming development for extra cash.

Then it turned out the construction company was actually a yakuza front, which at least explained the tuxedo clad rough-squad encountered earlier so by the time the manager responded to our polite request that she sit tight and don't move by pulling out a katana, we realized we just tried to embezzle the yakuza.

So having done that, we had to go beg forgivesness. They were willing to overlook the eighteen members (or so) we put in the hospital and hook up our tiny teenager squatter friends with a place to live on the tiny condition that we go take care of a spot of trouble in the harbor, which for some godawful reason involved a bunch of hellhounds having been container shipped to the dock. No, I don't know why. Or how. So we did that, and once the burns had healed up we helped the kids move into a suddenly available spot in the arcology, and the kids helped us with information on a biotech firm and we accomplished the original "get R&D from place" mission.

Mr. Johnson ended up subtracting 30% of our pay for "Delays", but we didn't really argue too much about it because he sorta had a point.
>>
>>49191574
Well unless you purposely put sensors in the bathroom like some pervert, all you would really know is someone is in the bathroom, it's not like their shitting on you.
>>
How long could a runner reasonably expect to last if they committed warcrimes with a flamethrower on almost every run?
>>
>>49193098
this is relevant to my interests
>>
I was watching Silicon Valley and got to wondering, what sort of challenges and obstacles would there be for a startup in the Shadowrun world?

Universities still exist, right? And the SIN-having wageslave middle-class still has people with educations and a little bit of money and the right (at least on paper) to go found a company, rustle up some capital and release a product of their own?

The whole Matrix environment is confusing as heck so it's hard to imagine what startup software would look like. If it's something like a game it seems like a lot of that kind of development goes on through the Sims industry and looks more like movie-making than indie game development. Whether someone can roll out enterprise software, useful consumer apps or some clever and revolutionary compression algorithm I don't know.

And even if there are people who can make the company and a product they could make, how do the megacorps feel about startups? I figure it'd be easier just to buy out the ones that look promising and ignore the ones that don't succeed, with a dash of coercion and sabotage if any of them refuse to sell out. Might be a good way to interface with the Shadowrunning world.
>>
I started building my first character earlier this afternoon, and I'm STILL going through and buying a bunch of shit, since I made my resources Priority A.
he's only gonna have partial essence, like less than 1. Good thing he's primarily a decker/street sam
>>
>>49193581
PACKS are a good way to quickly buy useful shit.

That, a Docwagon contract, and an extra lifestyle as a safehouse are my go-tos for "Have money to burn".
>>
>>49190081
Oh I'm likely in the same boat as you buddy, being ex KE and considering myself professional to a fault, I.E. no casualties at all, non lethal take downs only, etc.
>>
>>49193098
>>49193227
Well, how good are they? If they're good enough, they could last a long time.

The problem with the plan is that a flamethrower is really distinctive and usually not easily concealed, so people will know when you were one of the people on the job which makes tracking your jobs easier (and giving them info to close in on you). The very war-crimes-y nature of burning lots of people to death on your jobs will create a lot of enemies, from companies outraged at the loss of personnel to families and friends angry at the brutalization of people they cared about. Plus if you haul that thing around town while you're moving people will see it, and that means informing people who go asking about a guy with a flamethrower. Fueling it up might even become a challenge since it means you've got a "watering hole" they can stake out. And even after all that, consider that a flamethrower is a real niche weapon and anyone who goes up against you expecting it will be ready with a strong counter.

My bet is it'll only be a couple jobs before some kind of bounty goes out on you, and then it's only a matter of time before you're ratted out and ambushed. Maybe a sniper, maybe some magical fire resistance or water spirit, something you can't reach in time or can't burn. I'll put the over-under at four jobs/eight weeks.
>>
>>49193853
I'm sure he wouldn't be that way if Stick 'N Shock rounds weren't so overpowered
>>
>>49194060
Man.
If you gave the guy adequate planning to avoid those eventualities, he'd suddenly be a good villain.
>>
>>49193581

Unless you plan to do talking or magic, Essence is basically your dump stat. As long as you're above 0, you're fine.
>>
What is the single worst intentionally immoral thing you have done as a Shadowrunner?
>>
>>49194149
Nothing, I've never played a game and don't understand the rules well!
But I would really like to do both of these things!
>>
>>49194096
Are Shadowrunners ever given contracts to take out other Shadowrunners? There's a whole sense of community among the group what with the Shadowlands and all but at the same time it's not like there's a vetting process or official exile. Maybe a contract where a freelancer who's been on a few runs and went needlessly loud has worn out his colleagues' goodwill and earned the ire of the corporate world for his collateral damage.

Still, would that be seen as some kind of fratricide or vulture-work? Or just policing your own?
>>
>>49194187
If you don't have anyone to play with go play the Harebrained Schemes computer game "Shadowrun Returns" (I'd actually recommend the expansions Berlin and Hong Kong more, they're standalone titles you can buy without the original). It'll give you a good feel for the setting and gameplay even if it's behind a bit and you can do some misdeeds to contribute with.
>>
>>49194252
Already done.
And the super nintendo game.
I did so many gladiatorial battles in that junkyard.
>>
>>49194134
Are there any attacks that affect essence? A curse or poison that drains one essence a day until cured would be pretty cool.
>>
>>49194275
Okay, so what was your worst act in those games?
>>
>>49194411
I'm trying to think.
I always played such a goddamn goody twoshoes though.
Like, the worst it gets is murdering the shit out of people for mugging homeless guys.
>>
>>49194298

That sounds like a toxic mage type thing, but as far as I know no such thing exists.
>>
So what do people think of Kellan Colt? I don't know much about the character but from what I hear the character is from a terrible book and very unpopular.
>>
Can someone convince me NOT to take my character under the knife to give him a Centaur Limnal Body. The idea of a robot centaur running around at 30mph really tickles me.
>>
>>49194852
I assume it would make using the bathroom highly impractical.
>>
>>49194852
your cyberhorsedong will be less of a surprise
>>
If I want to make a Troll PhysAd and basically go around as the heaviest armored berserker type guy possible, what are the must have things? I mean full "I AM Plan B" type shit. Sturdy enough to tank sniper shots, able to cleave cars in half, the whole thing.
>>
How hard is it to make a character without using chummer?
>>
>>49194134
I'm gonna run him primarily as a decker, but also has the augs and guns for melee and silent takedowns
>>
So, I have a 4e infiltrator who's got
>Disguise 8
>Shadowing 8
>Palming 10
>Infiltration 10

Because she was a cybered elf I dropped in some tailored pheromones, so she's got
>Con 10
>Etiquette 10
>Leadership 10
>Negotiation 10

I wanted some 'quiet' combat skills, so
>Unarmed 10
>Archery 10

And now I'm sitting on a character with some stealth, some face, and some combat, but (Especially since she has only 1 IP and 3 body, so she's relatively slow and fragile in combat) she doesn't really excel in any of those areas.

Do you think it's a problem to have her set up as a generalist like this?
>>
File: 1442039675362.jpg (127KB, 736x973px) Image search: [Google]
1442039675362.jpg
127KB, 736x973px
>>49194298
>>49194461
The Essence Drain power that most Infected have (and some shadow spirits, and some critters) eats away at it (one good reason not to go into 0.X Essence territory, as the bites take off whole points and it's a fast way to kill a cyborg stone dead without a chance of recovery). Depending on the optional rules in play, drug use may also take away Essence.

Something that takes 1 Essence a day would be super fucking dangerous and powerful, because Essence can never be regained.
>>
>>49195204
Cyber is generally the better option for 'I AM TANK' characters, since you have cyberlimbs, cyberlimb armor, pain editors, and whatnot to all stack up on. Physad is trickier.
>>
>>49194298
>>49195403

Yeah, such a poison would be ludicrously dangerous on many, many levels.
>>
>>49195432
Is a cyber character actually good in 5e? Magic was always better in 4e, since it had no real upper cap.
>>
>>49192732
Right, but the way I understand it, it's like the plane becomes your body. Does it, like, weird Riggers out knowing someone's usin' the bathroom that, from what the machine is telling you, is part of your body?
>>
>>49195293
irritating but doable with a spreadsheet until you get to buying gear
>>
File: 1446931893852.jpg (209KB, 1235x646px) Image search: [Google]
1446931893852.jpg
209KB, 1235x646px
>>49194204
Yes they are. Usually it's a defensive move (ex. MCT hears that Renraku Seattle is planning to blow up a lab, so they stake out the Johnsons and fixers Renraku uses in Seattle. If they see a demo team being hired, they get their own runner team to remove the threat before it materializes). Azzies may hire runners to do in other runners who crossed them, which is definitely a black mark on the reputation of the revenge squad.

As for how it's taken, it depends. Clockwork and Rigger X both have muddied reputations because they sold info on fellow Jackpointers (do the writers hate riggers?). Haze has tried at least once to have Pistons killed. If you get a reputation for taking out other runners, that's definitely going to hurt your reputation. But if two teams end up on opposite sides of a run, or you pop some rich kid who calls himself a runner and keeps blabbing about every meeting he has with anyone in the slightest shade, probably not going to hurt your Street Cred too badly.
>>
File: 1439441743010.jpg (448KB, 1200x639px) Image search: [Google]
1439441743010.jpg
448KB, 1200x639px
>>49194998
Then you upgrade to a Bad Dragon Hestaby's Delight. Always a one-up you can do.
>>
File: twayne boneraper.jpg (29KB, 622x350px) Image search: [Google]
twayne boneraper.jpg
29KB, 622x350px
So I'm looking at the shape [material] spell and it seems like its both extremely specific and very useful.

If you took say, shape [concrete], you could make holes/doors in walls, use them to lock people in place (like pic related), create chest high walls out of floors and pavement or even impale motherfuckers. But only with concrete, which I dont even know is used much in the sixth world.
>>
>>49194781
>Kellan Colt
Who?
>>
File: cyber_oni_color_by_pcpowers.jpg (66KB, 600x613px) Image search: [Google]
cyber_oni_color_by_pcpowers.jpg
66KB, 600x613px
>>49195528
Yes it is. Unfortunately cyberlimbs are bad for trolls unless your GM agrees the limbs start at metatype average STR and AGI, otherwise it's stupid expensive.
>>
>>49195541
You get feedback from your sensors in the way that your meat body gets feedback from your senses. It's no more a problem that someone uses a sensorless bathroom when a rigger is jumped in than it bothers you that there are x-rays shooting into your flesh right now.
>>
>>49194204
Yep, and sometimes they dont even do it for contracts. Sometimes a runner team is going after your job and you want them out of the way so you take them out without letting it get back to you, sometimes they just got sloppy on a job you worked with them and you need them quiet.

Sometimes you even get runners hunting down other runners for things like revenge. Of course then its less business and more pleasure.

But if it ever does get back to you, or if you do it enough times, other runners are going to be very reluctant to deal with you. So watch out.
>>
>>49195528
>Magic was always better in 4e, since it had no real upper cap.

Not really true. In the abstract, yes, magic will 'always' outperform cybernetics because there's no cap on intiations you can perform, but in practice, it's a very, very different story, just because the scale required means you'd need to be playing for years and years before it ever became a factor.

I'm surprised at how resilient this misconception is.
>>
File: 1446512001083.jpg (121KB, 1000x686px) Image search: [Google]
1446512001083.jpg
121KB, 1000x686px
>>49195655
Concrete is still used. Shape [Material] is only as good as your GM chooses it to be. If it's Shape [Plastic], you're either a god who can brick every computer and bit of cyber, or a schmuck who can bend straws with his mind.
>>
>>49195655
Pretty much. If you're playing 4e, just be careful about the Object Resistance rules, as they're pretty dick-kicking in that ed.

In 5e they're massively less punishing.
>>
>>49195734
Good to know. Thanks, anon
>>
>>49195799
>Shape [Material] is only as good as your GM chooses it to be

I'll have to have a talk to him about it. I like the idea of being the ultimate cover deployer.
>>
>>49195871
Just be aware that there's not a lot of exposed concrete anywhere inside (unless all your runs take place on the ground floor of a warehouse), and I think Shape [Material] requires LOS to the thing you're shaping..
>>
>>49195933

Yeah that could be a problem, but the utility of say, being able to make doors wherever the fuck I choose, would make up for that inconvenience.

Plus cover inside is easier to come by. Outside where you have sniper potential is when you want that concrete wall to cower behind.

Hell you could use it to block LOS for the responders by putting it right in front of them while you leg it.
>>
>>49185799
That's a good example of a partial skull.
>>
>>49195687
Wait, what? Source? Is there an option for this built into Chummer?
>>
>>49187936
> hooding isn't canon
>canon isn't canon
Sure thing, chummer.
>>
File: Cyberfist.jpg (47KB, 500x307px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberfist.jpg
47KB, 500x307px
>>49196047
Source on what? Limbs start at 3 STR 3 AGI, that's core. Don't know about the chummer option.
>>
>>49183740
An obvious cybertorso/skull has to be visibly synthetic to the naked eye. Seams where flesh-colored molded plastic panels meet, layers of transparent plastic muscles on a chrome frame, even just a big boxy torso of metal plates.

Basically, Synthetic limbs look 100% natural to the naked eye, and you can only tell they're fake to the touch. Anything else - anything you can look at and actually see that it's cyberware - is Obvious.

Does that help?
>>
>>49195687
you are also buying strength which you would have to pay a huge amount of karma for otherwise
>>
>>49196105
Oh. Can you effectively do an augmented character without cyberlimbs?
>>
>>49184069
My current character is going to be a former go ganger/road warrior from a very post-apocalyptic region of the interior of North America. He booked it all the way to Seattle after they tried to hit the wrong caravan and a way-too-professional response from the guards sent them scattered to the wind or dead. Now that he's reestablished, he's going to try to figure out what they got themselves into with that caravan and see if he can track down any living members of his gang.

Suffice it to say, I enjoy gangers.
>>
File: 1450338450364.jpg (53KB, 365x892px) Image search: [Google]
1450338450364.jpg
53KB, 365x892px
>>49196116
>2077
>using karmagen

And even then, trolls have 5/10 to start in STR, two points more than a cyberlimbed character.
>>
File: Temp2.jpg (185KB, 954x1431px) Image search: [Google]
Temp2.jpg
185KB, 954x1431px
>>49196106
Even something as subtle as this can count as 'obvious', even if it doesn't draw your eye from across the street.
>>
>>49196121
Yes, but cyberlimbs are really good for tank-type characters in particular.
>>
File: Troll Cop.png (350KB, 497x499px) Image search: [Google]
Troll Cop.png
350KB, 497x499px
>>49196121
Absolutely. Save the money and essence from the limbs, get wires or synaptic boosters, bone lacing, platelet factory, damage compensators, dermal plating. >>49196192 is right in that the extra boxes from cyberlimbs can help in making a tanky guy, but IMO trolls are better served investing elsewhere.
>>
>>49196231
>>49196192
Honestly, the main things are:
>Huge
>Can cut an APC in half
>Maybe a Bow as a backup
>Heavy armor, probably stylized to look like some sort of medieval berserker
>>
>>49196164

Karmagen is pretty much the best way to build characters in 4e, IMO.
>>
>>49196164
>>49195687
The whole mechanic of cyberlimbs is flawed, imo. Like so much of SR, it's just been carried over from previous editions without really fixing it.

They should start at your natural attributes, exist for the purpose of capacity and enhancements, require customisation when your natural attributes increase, and be unaffected when your natural attributes are reduced.

Getting a cheap cyberlimb with 1s in attributes (before enhancements) should cost next to nothing and be available in almost every street doc's bargain bins.
>>
>>49196302
... Yes, that third line went off on a tangent.
>>
>>49196273
>>Huge
Sure.
>>Can cut an APC in half
Probably not.
>>Maybe a Bow as a backup
Sure.
>>Heavy armor, probably stylized to look like some sort of medieval berserker
Sure.
>>
File: Troll Bear Shaman Police.jpg (171KB, 662x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Troll Bear Shaman Police.jpg
171KB, 662x1017px
>>49196273
>>Heavy armor, probably stylized to look like some sort of medieval berserker

There's actual chainmail armour in R&G, IIRC.

And if you're using Sum to 10 (which is the best way to build a troll in SR5), it's better to pump up your STR and then get Muscle Augmentation/Toner at chargen. Get a combat aze and go hog-wild. You won't cut an armoured car apart, but a Jackrabbit should be possible.
>>
>>49196302
>require customisation when your natural attributes increase, and be unaffected when your natural attributes are reduced.

How does that work? If you work out the rest of your body, you need to get a better robot arm, but if your BOD tanks then it's fine to keep the same huge piece of metal attached to your withered frame?
>>
>>49196345
Alright, I'm a complete newfag to 5e at all.

What, specifically, will I need to be the meanest troll wielding the hugest weapon possible? What's the best armor, excluding cyberlimbs, that I should nab?

What stuff is absolutely necessary, not just for this, but for any character?

We're using 800 karma to build
>>
>>49193242
As a gentle reminder, corporations exist from AAA all the way down to mom and pop stores. Yes, a sufficiently promising startup would be a target for purchase by a bigger Corp - especially something like an A Corp hungry for extraterritoriality. Those guys are just big enough to throw their weight around, and just small enough to take big risks trying to break into the truly big leagues.
>>
>>49196372
>And if you're using Sum to 10 (which is the best way to build a troll in SR5)
It is? Why?
>>
File: don't be a pussy.jpg (42KB, 725x375px) Image search: [Google]
don't be a pussy.jpg
42KB, 725x375px
>go full bioware
>literally no way to know unless I'm medically screened
>GM still has NPCs somehow intrinsically know
>>
>>49194852
>30 mph
Try 230, chummer.
>>
>>49196468
Maybe they assensed you? That can detect bioware
>>
>>49196177
Yes, exactly. If you can see that it's cyberware - even if it's not chromed or whatever - with the naked eye? It's Obvious.
>>
File: Troll Milspec and Rocker.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Troll Milspec and Rocker.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
>>49196440
Priority is too punishing on Trolls, forcing them to put Troll in A or B, and build down from there (and as you want lots of money for a cybertroll, that's the other top slot, then you need Attributes, then you have very few skills). Point Buy makes getting high STR and BOD very pricey, which defeats the purpose of being a troll.

Sum to 10 is a decent way that lets you balance attributes and skills with the high cost of trogdom.
>>
>>49196540

I get that anyone who is Awakened could figure something was off, but still, the troll with the cyberarms is getting less hassle than me from what are essentially mall cops.
>>
>>49194084
Except I use gel rounds almost exclusively after the corps started giving their guards an upgrade to their armor to resist stick n shock
>>
>>49189988

Which ones?
>>
File: the chrome beckons.jpg (90KB, 633x814px) Image search: [Google]
the chrome beckons.jpg
90KB, 633x814px
Apologies if this is deemed a little off topic, but I figure it's somewhat relevant to you folks, or at the very least likely of some interest.
>>
>>49196892
If they fuck this up I'm cloning Hitler so he can invade their Polish asses again.
>>
>>49196478
Oh shit, I just heard someone's build got them to 30mph, I thought it sounded a little slow giving there's shit like skimmers. I haven't really written anything down because I still need like 450,000 nyuen first.
>>
>>49196939
>implying it wasn't Pole on Pole violence

I do like that the Polish government is trying to pass a law making it illegal for anyone to suggest that any Polish person or government official collaborated with the Nazis.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35581708

The thoughtcrime levels are nearing cyberpunk standards.
>>
>>49197053
Elf (or other Agility metatype/metavariant) with Agility 10+ cyber legs, two pairs of digitigrade legs, and skimmers. I'll let you do the math, but it comes out to a hilariously huge speed.
>>
>>49188973
Seriously, that dude must spend a fortune on skittles.
>>
>>49186843
It's terrible but here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/jqmzxb
>>
>>49197086
It's actually a law targeting the German-owned media's common revisionist implication that the death camps in Poland were run by the Polish rather than targeting the Polish.
It's been a major source of political butthurt to Poles since a couple of years back.
>>
>>49196892
>Modernizing 2020
No thanks
>>
>>49197623
Well eventually we're going to have to because 5 years from now I'm not playing a future game set in the past.
>>
>>49197086
Talk about the fucking Thought Police, what happened to free speech?
>>
>>49197623
It's a videogame not a tabletop, I doubt their going to use anything other than the setting, they're even pushing it forward 57 years.
>>
>>49197781
It's both, actually. They're going to be releasing a new tabletop edition at the same time.
>>
Whats the best sniper rifle to put on a drone for overwatch duties?
>>
>>49197867
From what i've heard, it'll be just new fluff, packaged with the same rules and rules for some new hardware. So the rules themselves wont be revised, but errata may be implemented, and the layout will probably be a bit better.
>>
>>49196408
Why is it a "huge piece of metal"? Sounds lopsided and poorly designed. In any case, it was short for me thinking cyberlimbs shouldn't be affected by nerve strikes, etc.
>>
>>49197867
Really?? Weird, well I guess CDPR had the books with Witcher, but how the hell are they going to build a tabletop and videogame at the same time without going insane? I do not envy them.
>>
>>49197991
You're assuming CDPR is going to be writing the tabletop stuff as well instead of having someone else do it..
>>
>>49197623
Your opinion is reasonable and valid, though it's my held opinion that anyone with your opinion can politely go fuck themselves.
>>
>>49197991
IIRC, R. Talsorian is making the new edition (yes, they're still around)
>>
>>49198006
>>49198044
Oh well alright, still seems a bit odd. I hope they don't try to cross streams too much.
>>
>>49197674
>Not accepting alternate history
I bet you didn't even like the Difference Engine.
>>
back from an extra long weekend sorting the effects of great grandma-monotreeme...anyone come up with any truly quirky characters to add to my list of quirky characters?

>so far I have
Blast-Door
Zuus the dwarf
Mr Crabs
Mr Smog
Wallace the Wall Ace
Pencilman
Cinnamon
Snowball
Bubbles
Bear That Walks Through Walls

these I am collecting to flesh out the setting with quirky quirky characters
>>
>>49198197
While I can't really claim the idea as my own, A person with a centaur liminal body with all 80 capacity going towards additional waste storage.
>defeat Big bad
>drop 80 days worth of your shit and piss on him
>>
>>49198508
And name them 'Trots'.
>>
>>49198197
Mittens.

The runner who has a habit of accidentally wearing their shock gloves inside-out.
>>
What would the speed limits for a standard city be? Would there even be any? I would guess that the all knowing Gridlink could manage cars of various speeds, but some cars can go up to 400+Mph, where as the slower cars have a maximum speed of 30Mph, so I would also assume it couldn't handle the fastest cars going full out when there's 30Mph obstacles around. So surely there must be some sort of maximum at which gridlink would tell you to slow the fuck down. I know this isn't exactly how vehicles work in 5e but lets say "THEORETICALLY" that my character can run at 75mph, would this be sufficient to keep up with standard traffic?
>>
>>49183210
What kind of defenses would the Knights Errant training facility in Seattle have?
>>
What street name would you give a rigger who specializes in aircraft? I was thinking Cav for air cavalry but I dunno..
>>
>>49199365
Flyboy/girl
>>
>>49199365
Valkyrie,bonus points if you wear a cowboy hat.
>>
>>49199365
Al Qaeda
>>
>>49199298
Considering Lone Star has military grade ordnance, attack helicopters, etc, I'd step KE up a notch for their facilities.
>>
What are some good ways for a band's career to take a turn into the downwards spiral of high profile crime?
Also, if you are making players all be in a band together, it's fair to give them free music skills, right?
>>
File: SRProfessional.jpg (428KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SRProfessional.jpg
428KB, 1280x1024px
>>49200194
But not good music skills. If they were good at it they wouldn't be shadowrunning.

As for the downward spiral part...there's the classics. Drugs. Chicks. Gambling debts. Underage transsexual hookers.

And then there's the complicated stuff. If you came from the shadows, you'll be pulled back. Your gangbanger past comes back to haunt you. That mob boss who loaned you the cash for your first gig needs a favor now. You live like a king, but your friends and family live in squalor in the barrens, and none of your cash or influence can save them. Your kid brother just joined the Humanis Policlub and showed up in a viral video curb-stomping an ork. Or another label has taken a shine to you and arranged for some SINless folks to escort you to a meeting to discuss changing contracts.

Lots of possibilities.
>>
>your cyborg can't have lasers
>nobody can have lasers, in fact, they're super illegal
Come on, shadowrun.
Cyborgs need lasers.
It's like a fucking rule.
They also need power cores.
>>
>>49200448
Being talented and successful aren't always connected. As to your other suggestions, ehile they all have merit, they are tied to the character's backgrounds, and as it seems like anon would be GMing this campaign, they probably need an external impetus as you can't guarantee PC's will have compatible backstories. Like while on tour the country they're in gets plunged into a civil war and the PC's now have no choice but to throw in with rebel groups if they want to get out alive. Perhaps their concerts was at an event cracked down on by the local police state.
>>
>>49187936
Get fucked.

If hooding isn't canon, I'll invent it.

If it IS canon, I'll make it a trend.

If I make it a trend, I'll network with other runners fighting the good fight.

Remember. Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, ever cut a deal with the mob.
>>
>>49200565
>Lasers
Not like you'd want them. Contrary to what actual lasers do, Shadowrun lasers just seem to tickle you a bit.
>>
>>49200604
No, they're full of shit. The karma system gives more karma for good feels runs (ableit you get less cash) and penalises for being a heartless dick (though this again can be tempered by the increased money you get). So that choice is clearly acknowledged and catered to and arguably more rewarding as it's far easier for a GM to take money from you than karma.
>>
So whats the Yakuza situation in Seattle like? I'm trying to pinpoint a crimelord for my characters vendetta quality and I cant decide between Yakuza or Triads.
>>
File: Cocn10DWIAAkB59.jpg (6KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
Cocn10DWIAAkB59.jpg
6KB, 150x150px
>>49200604
Hey how about you get in this helicopter
>>
File: Npc_humanmale_amsel.png (88KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
Npc_humanmale_amsel.png
88KB, 212x278px
Tell me about your favorite fixers /srg/. Are they as useful and professional as pic related? Would they ever stab you in the back?
>>
>>49201176
>>49201176
My fixer?

Total bro. Team's closest ally. He's never thrown us into a gig that smelled too fishy.

He's ex-Ares Firewatch and on the run from his old bosses because he's in the know about some shit we haven't fully gotten into yet. We were formerly just business partners, but then he came to us for a job involving saving his daughter from the Ares exec hunting him.

We pulled that one off without a single goddamn witness, and no unnecessary bloodshed. Hard-won victory. We did it mostly to save the kid, but he owes us his daughter's life now, so the inherent loyalty that inspires has all but ensured he's willing to go to the wall for us if it comes down to it. We've got his back, and he's got ours.

>>49201137
Yeah, nah, you're a cunt.
>>
File: Cactus.png (152KB, 450x638px) Image search: [Google]
Cactus.png
152KB, 450x638px
>>49201176
I'm perma-GM, and.... Honestly, the group's fixer isn't very good.

She's gotten them into serious trouble twice, once getting possessed by a spirit and the team had to hire an exorcist to save her, the other time getting grabbed by Vory and the team had to go in and rescue her.

3/4 of the team think she's cute, though, and she's sorta-dating one of those three, so they don't complain about her, really.
>>
File: Hank and Mike.png (1MB, 630x990px) Image search: [Google]
Hank and Mike.png
1MB, 630x990px
>>49201176
The party's fixer was an Elf, really a dullahan, named Mike. He was from Ireland but located in Florida and he was clearly running his own shake-down operations while the party was out doing their jobs.

He hooked the party up with recovering a little girl for a Cuban doctor, and he also accidentally set them to working for the Humanis Poli-Club for a few jobs; which included destroying the water purification system in the Ork/Troll slums. Party helped Mike out of a bind after they went to a meeting place and all got jumped by Humanis.

Mike then hired the party to go kidnap his attorney who got him the connection in the first place. The party felt kind of conflicted about working for/with him in general. The local troll shaman felt like absolute shit after the purification job. The NY-born wage-mage and Mike got on fine over a shared bit of Brooklyn pride. The ex-cop Cuban Troll was actually the one who took Mike as a contact and the two were professional in the way a bookie is professional with the guy he has club clients to death.

He would absolutely stab the party in the back, if it meant a big pay-day he could fuck off with. But Mike was a shitlord who loved violence, guns, yelling at people, torture and drugs. Which was fine, because it was Florida.

Kind of wish the game had continued by scheduling killed it for the players. The wage-mage found a designer party drug schematic and was well on his way to being Scarface.
>>
>>49201176

My favourite fixer was a high ranking police officer of a southern port city in Thailand. He was called Colonel Somboon. He didn't just get us work, he could help us keep ahead of the grunt cops, alter police records and make evidence go away. On top of this he was a jolly, no-bullshit guy who'd have us over to his villa for drinks.

He laid on seven or eight run for us before Ares assassins killed him. This happend aftr our run against an Ares Asia compound on the docks went bad. We got the cargo we were after but lots of Ares personel died and the facility was totalled when we blew up chemical tanks and fuel tanks to delay the HTRT. Ares were super-pissed, must have brought in a load of troubleshooters to deal with this, and managed to follow a trail back to the police Colonel. Our group heard about his death on the news: a high caliber sniper rifle round had blown old Somboon's head into red confetti while he was lounging by his pool. With our fixer dead and Ares Asia on our ass we smuggled ourselves to Macao to start over. I felt kinda bad IC and IRL for fudging the run and the fixer paying the price, but that's SR. I also suspect that our GM wanted to make things tougher for us by making us do more stuff for ourselves.
>>
File: 1423464401052.jpg (382KB, 1200x801px) Image search: [Google]
1423464401052.jpg
382KB, 1200x801px
What do you do when the run goes bad, /srg/?
>>
>>49201260
Don't mix business and pleasure chummer.
>>
I have one rating 4 fake SIN with all the licenses I need, and I have enough cash to buy a second rating 4 fake SIN with the bare bones licenses too. Is it a smart idea to buy the second one and not use it until everything inevitably goes tits up and I need to get out of the city? Or should I have one SIN I bring to anything running related and keep the second one as my 'civilian' SIN?
>>
>>49200669
Aren't most current laser weapons small blinding devices for the handheld ones?

I know big ones can take out a missile or a drone (and presumably a person), but they're pretty huge, with a lot of cooling and power requirements
>>
>>49201472
How bad are we speaking here, omae? Bad as in "target unattainable" or bad as in "Bodies on the ground and surrounded by HTR?"
>>
>>49201472
>>49201503

Or if we're going to go whole hog
>Dragon bearing down on you
>>
>>49201503
"Everything that CAN go wrong DID go wrong." Whether that's "bodies on the ground and surrounded by HTR", "locked in a room with an unhappy Lofwyr", or "we killed some folks that we didn't realize were kind of important, and now we're being chased by a Lone Star SWAT team."

I want to hear stories of bad runs - how it went bad, and what you did when it went bad. Share your tales of woe, /srg/.
>>
>>49185322
It really doesn't seem that bad. If people are willing to write off the entire hacking side of a cyberpunk game then I think you can ignore some barely thought out ideas on turn structure.
>>
>>49201520
I believe the standard procedure for dragon bearing down on you is to put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.
>>
>>49201590
Are you trying to tell me that you don't have a nuclear device strapped to your chest just in case angry dragons refuse to talk?
>>
File: crichton 2.jpg (54KB, 966x557px) Image search: [Google]
crichton 2.jpg
54KB, 966x557px
>>49201611

So you follow the John Crichton school of diplomacy?
>>
>>49201625
Ain't dead yet now, am I?
>>
>>49201472

Personally I bug out. Most of the players in my old group were of the same mind. By contrast my current group, who I GM for, can't let go. They'll bloody-mindedly push on to a TPK to try to 'beat' the mission. What they don't seem to realize is that aborting a run doesn't mean that their time was wasted, or that they can't progress from there, or that things will be boring. The consequences of a failed run can be as fun as a successful one.

Example: my old group (with me as a player) were hired to extract a corp executive as he left an uptown restaurant in London. Unfortunately, due to some shitty rolling and not properly scoping out the security beforehand, the exec's cybered-up elite bodyguards fended us off long enough for the exec to get in his limo. We chased it, and were lucky to catch up with it (rigger thoughtfully had placed a spy drone on overwatch), but we couldn't make it pull over before it reached the corp enclave in Islington. We went pink mohawk but obviously that was a non-starter, so we bugged out before some really heavy duty security showed up. Right decision.

Aftermath: we were broke financially, and blanked by our fixer, and had two corps seeking to liquidate us. We changed locations to Bristol and did some freelance crime until our finances were stable - mostly raiding/ripping off drug gangs and selling the spoils to the Yardies, plus some docklands theft. It was great fun figuring out our own path rather than having the GM go "fixer says do this job" and it was a nice change of pace too.
>>
>>49201625
>Because I am a UCASian. And what does a UCASian want? Democracy? Capitalism!. I want to sell out and settle down. For one day only, it's a blue light special on Aisle Three. My information on dragon egg locations... and a free set of cyber eyes... for all the Bratwurst in Rhine-Ruhr. And anything you can imagine to pay me... welcome to my cold war.
>>
>>49201472
>>49201503
>>49201533

Instead of merely fishing for stories here, I'ma actually pony up one of my own Bad Runs, namely the most recent session.

We may or may not have accidentally the mayor of Seattle, and his entire fucking staff.

IN ADDITION to a number of high-ranking law-enforcement officers, and at least one guy who we think is, or was, an executive from Renraku.

And we got spotted with the smoking gun as we made a run for it.

So, yeah. Police pursuit. We had to cut the session early, but we have reason to believe a manhunt may be on the horizon.

And this was by accident.
>>
>>49201676
>We may or may not have accidentally the mayor of Seattle, and his entire fucking staff.

You killed fucking Brackhaven? thats hilarious. If you get caught blame the Ork Underground for extra keks while in hell.
>>
>>49201676
Seems to me your choices are to lurk out deep, DEEP in the Barrens, or get the Hell outta Dodge.

You could try framing someone else, but you need to cover so many angles and keep it all consistent that it's a nightmare.
>>
>>49201692
The fixer gave us the job to pop the executive, 'collateral damage acceptable.' It was the first time our sam really got a chance to cut fucking loose, and he wanted to go, and I quote,

We went full pink mohawk on this one, and it was the fucking dumbest thing we could've done. We were after the executive, and had no idea who he was meeting with until he'd gone into a restaurant and we were nice and committed.

We'd scoped out his security from a distance for several days by this point (we did alright on this phase), and the restaurant that he was going to for a business meeting, with 'some guys from the city' (which was the most our decker had gleaned from various bits of information gathered across four days of Matrix-diving and a bit of bargaining with a well-connected guy on the street).

>B A L L S T O T H E W A L L

So we didn't exactly stop to look and see just who the executive was meeting with.

The rocket launcher gave off a nice IR signature when we fired it.

Next thing we know, Lone Star and several corp bodyguards out in front are closing in, and we have to break for it.

Did NOT think this one through.
>>
>>49198778
>>49198508
actually, thats what Bubbles is

but that space is for smuggling cocaine
>>
Did your runner ask for this?
>>
So, my impression from just reading the rulebooks is that 4th edition is a much more lethal game, and forces tactical and careful decision-making, while 5e is much more of a numbers game and combat seems to take way longer.

The armor values and increased defenses in 5 look like they'd make for some really slow and boring combat, with even non min-maxed starter chars soak pools converting most of their P damage to S
>>
So for the riggers out there, how do you handle survelliance?

I'm thinking of picking up a GTS tower to play aircraft carrier for 4 Fly Spy's, seems like a good way to establish a spy net around a certain area and the tower can act as a central overwatch point for outside a target.
>>
File: 885556007j.jpg (30KB, 385x400px) Image search: [Google]
885556007j.jpg
30KB, 385x400px
>>49202047
You're goddamn right he did.

Heavy armor, a flamethrower, enough cyberware to roll up main street and square off with Lone Star, and a complete disregard for civilian casualties results in a fun time.

Fuck the haters.
>>
File: gobb and izz.png (351KB, 773x1033px) Image search: [Google]
gobb and izz.png
351KB, 773x1033px
>>49189615
>>49189615
Nothing ever happend to Izz,she just seen some bad shit,like her brother ODíng and that old lady that cut of her tongue and slashed of someones jaw.
>there are people in this very thread who stabbed their bro in the back and burned the Ares warehouse down

When did that happend?
I finished HK couple days ago and i don't remember that.
did that happend in extended ending?
>>
>>49202060

Try Run Faster. It has more lethal combat rules options.

Stun damage is not to be underestimated btw.
>>
File: shadowrun racter.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shadowrun racter.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>49189615

>not doing it to be bff's with Racter

>>49202172

Its in the bonus campaign.
>>
>>49202172
Yes.
>>
>>49189615
I did it because the alternative was likely getting my friends who bled and died with me killed. Also, it's not THAT fucking hard to get a new SIN, it's just paperwork, IDK what the fuck Duncan was being all pissy about.
>>
>>49202276
He's just a big crybaby. A powerhouse when in a scrap and a good man to have at your back when fecal matter hits the rotating air circulation system; but a big crybaby. Seriously. Muh Carter! Muh daddy! Muh SIN!
>>
>>49196047
newfag here,what is chummer?
Also,how hard will GMing be if i never played SR before?
any tips?
>>
File: tumblr_ocxgg7kJTU1r9yhvjo1_1280.jpg (138KB, 866x1077px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ocxgg7kJTU1r9yhvjo1_1280.jpg
138KB, 866x1077px
>>49202553
Character builder; automates and simplifies a bunch of stuff.
As for GMing Shadowrun, it is a system that tends to require broad knowledge of the game's systems, but as long as you know what your players can do and how to challenge those things, you'll be fine. Read through this:
https://my.mixtape.moe/qadtwb.pdf
>>49196047
No option for it at the moment; if you raise it on the issue tracker I should be able to get it implemented without too much difficulty, since I already expanded how the limb configuration gets set. https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/issues
>>
>>49202259
you can't be bff with racter,he's a psycho
>>
>>49198197
>Bear That Walks Through Walls

Haven't seen you since dumpshock. HELLO friend
>>
>>49202845
I'm just collecting these for fleshing the setting...

mid-level names to throw around for shits and grins
>>
>>49197934
Remington 950 for a reliable, cheap option with great stats, or the Desert Strike if you want an extra +1 damage at 10 times the price.
>>
>>49199119
I remember reading something from 5e saying that cars drive 80mph on freeways and highways, but I can't remember which book I read that in.

As for whether speed limits would be posted? Of course they would. Do you really think Lonestar/Knight Errant would give up an extra revenue stream like that?
>>
>>49197751
Most euro countries don't have it, especially ex-eastern block ones.
>>
>>49198197
Harold the Incandescent.
He's a mage with a flamethrower who is pretending his large amount of fire spells are in fact just cool flamethrower tricks.
>>
>>49202882
Try The Tiger. he has an ol eurocopter tiger an will fly people around for a fee and/or combat extraction.
>>
>>49202060
Actually, with the way that damage values have also been dramatically increased in 5e, it's definitely the faster and more lethal of the two. The numbers to reliably one-shot people just didn't really exist in 4e, but they definitely do in 5e.
>>
File: What's My SIN Again.gif (489KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
What's My SIN Again.gif
489KB, 500x500px
>>49201497
The R4 license is usually the civilian one. You can get another R4 as an emergency one, or you could get a couple of R2s that you use for a while and then discard.

Having a permanent "This is the fake identity I use for illegal stuff" kinda defeats the purpose of having a fake SIN.
>>
File: Flying Eye.jpg (5KB, 150x149px) Image search: [Google]
Flying Eye.jpg
5KB, 150x149px
>>49202061
Get a couple of those Condor microblimps. An aerial view of the entire area (from the facility grounds where patrols can be watched to the roads that need to be monitored for incoming reinforcements) is not to be underestimated.

I use a mix of Fly Spys and Dragonflys; the former are surviellance only, the latter get pulled out when I think I might need a sneak attack on someone.

I also use a bunch of CU^3, but that's because my day job is as a photographer and I can get away with a bunch of obvious camera drones moving around. A Flying Eye is not illegal to have; just go around taking a bunch of selfies with it that just so happen to include important security details.
>>
>>49203325
>discard
Not at how much even an R2 costs. That's a serious expenditure.
>>
File: Job Well Done, Wageslaves.png (2MB, 864x1088px) Image search: [Google]
Job Well Done, Wageslaves.png
2MB, 864x1088px
>>49203460
If you're not able to set aside 5k every few runs to prevent everyone from knowing you're a Shadowrunner (first time your SIN is logged at a Renraku facility, it is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's shadow action), you're not getting paid enough.
>>
>>49195403
>because Essence can never be regained.
Technically it CAN be regained
The only 3 problems are
>it's costly
>it's slow
>it's hidden

If your runner is rich, has the needed time and good contacts they can get a point back in just 10 months and a few million nY
>>
>>49203491
5k's almost three months of lifestyle costs. If you can afford to burn that every couple runs without it meaningfully impacting your efforts to save up for other stuff you're being paid way too much.
>>
>>49203491
>>49203686
My DM drops about 10-25k per run, give or take depending on the run. He also doesn't ever make us burn SINs. It just kinda depends on the DM, either ask your DM to drop more to cover operating expenses or ask him to lower the costs of runs (ie, let your SINs last longer). If he somehow refuses then he's just a dick that's going to let mages run out of control.
>>
File: 1472065306764.jpg (86KB, 736x992px) Image search: [Google]
1472065306764.jpg
86KB, 736x992px
>>49203686
I never said it wouldn't meaningfully impact efforts to save for other stuff. I'm saying that spending the money is far preferable to Lone Star working out that Jimmy Schmidt was in the vicinity of 9 major crimes this quarter, but his data trail is almost never picked up elsewhere.

and having to spend the money you earned from crime to allow you to keep committing crimes for money, subtly condemning you to a treadmill of violence and poverty at the margins of society, all while thinking that everything will turn around after this next job, this next big score, is absolutely on theme for a cyberpunk game
>>
>>49203786
The problem is that some character types *cough Riggers cough* need more money than others to grow stronger. If there's no money then the Mages and Adepts may still get better (though new spells, Foci and other materials do cost money so with some cash they would be even stronger) while the non-Awakened team members are struggling behind.
>>
File: 1470748517387.jpg (111KB, 1000x639px) Image search: [Google]
1470748517387.jpg
111KB, 1000x639px
>>49203873
Having played a rigger, I know the need for nuyen, but I work to get around that. I'm more open to scummy jobs (like anyone who's hard-up for cash and will let their principles take a backseat) that pay out more nuyen (and incidentally have less karma for the Awakened), I identify valuables during a run that I can take with me and fence through my own connections/reuse myself, and I do side jobs to make some spare cash (fun thing about being a rigger- with the right drones you can do an entire team's work by yourself, excluding magic, which is very handy to have but can often be worked around).

It's not easy, but I'm not playing a game about being a guy in a dystopian future forced into a life of crime because happenstance denied him a legitimate place in society because I want it easy.
>>
>>49195398
>95432
Usually it's preferable to be a specialist in one area and once you are proficient in it (usually a dice pool of around 12) you can then try to cover other skills
>>
>>49201501
You say that like effective man-portable laser weapons aren't possible with sufficiently advanced batteries and heatsink technologies, both of which Shadowrun no doubt has.
>>
>>49202172
She doesn't have to have been literally raped by her uncle in order to be too PTSD'd for a physical relationship. Half the reason she's a Runner is the psychological impact of growing up in the Walled City and her need to escape the physical universe, she has obvious physical intimacy hangups that'd probably prevent her from so much as hugging someone.

Now, in the Matrix is another story. There's a lot of cases of her blowing up on people or getting crazy aggressive online, including torturing that one cyberbully. Line her up for some cybersex and she'd flip to raging nerd-dom.
>>
File: is0bel.png (105KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
is0bel.png
105KB, 212x278px
Did she really kill the cat?
>>
>>49202276
>>49202323
Man lay off Dunc, He Never Asked For This. Worked his ass off plus got lucky to get up from the streets and have a normal life and fulfilling his family obligation got all that taken away. The player might not have lost much being fresh out of corp jail but Duncan had something to go back to.

Plus it's not like the others ever did anything to foster his loyalty. Even in the extended ending when an opportunity comes up to avenge Nightjar and Carter, Kindly Cheng keeps getting her hits in that nobody gives a fuck about Carter for no good reason, then she's surprised that he wants to blow off her orders when the opportunity to escape her reach comes up. Fuck Kindly Cheng.
>>
>>49204166
idk but I'd slay that pussy
>>
>>49203961
>I identify valuables during a run that I can take with me and fence through my own connections/reuse myself
As a rigger, I strongly identify with this sentiment. 90% of most runs I usually spend identifying cars and drones to steal in my souped-up towtruck, which I then sell to chopshops, scrap for repair parts, or refurbish for personal use.

Because apparently that's the actual best use of my time.
>>
>>49204172

Auntie is what she is, besides, why the fuck WOULD she care about a dead rent-a-cop?

At least somebody gave a shit about her, which is more than can be said for poor Gutshot.
>>
>>49195398
Get some more IPs. That should be your highest priority, with that build. At least an additional 1.

Having decent combat dice pools is all well and good, but getting literally twice as many turns per round is grotesquely useful, with the marginal utility starting to drop off after that.
>>
>>49204219
>Because apparently that's the actual best use of my time.
apparently thats the actual joke, a party of shadowrunners could almost always make more money faster by stealing cars. the thing is, that the amount of WORK they do on those jobs is a lot less than what they'd do for a bigger score less often.

I think that makes it a cuttoff for immersion how much players claim to do versus how much their characters actually would do.

sure you have a dedicated street working crew boosting cars all day and night, but it's kind of boring. I doubt that cybered up sammy wants to play lookout or backup driver all day every day just so he can make more money than he could killing a dozen men with a teacup for the golden macguffin behind the door...
>>
>>49204219
It really shouldn't be that way. If a Rigger can easily make more money by stealing shit than they can by going on a Shadowrun, then why the hell are they doing runs?

Become a full time car-jacker and make money with that. Are the risks in grand theft auto smaller than the ones associated in a shadowrun? Yet more reason to not do any shadowruns at all if the pay is so shitty that stealing cars is better use of your time.
>>
>>49204219
Additional question: Is the GM giving you more than 30% of the value of the vehicle when you sell the JUST STOLEN cars? Because I can't see how car theft can be more profitable than playing in the big league running shadows unless the GM has missed the rules on selling loot and how big a cut the fence takes.
>>
File: file.png (176KB, 1177x745px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
176KB, 1177x745px
Faffing about with a character roster for Chummer; what other information would you guys consider to be useful here?
>>
>>49204303
>>49204317
>>49204373
On the last run, there was a mid-level exec's Eurocar in the parking lot. I jacked it with my tow truck, along with a total of 12 Ares Alphas taken off of incapacitated guards. Got about 15% for them when I fenced them - I was happy, would have settled for 10% - for 16.5k for the car and ~4.7k for the guns.

On the previous run, we cleared out a go ganger flophouse and I scrapped all of their bikes into 12 sets of motorcycle repair parts.

Those jobs themselves paid 9k nuyen and 6k nuyen apiece, respectively.

And that's not even counting the time that, during the legwork phase, I convinced the decker to help me hack every car in a parking lot and send a goddamn convoy out to a faraday-caged warehouse, where we scrubbed them of tags, reset them to factory settings, and then sold them to my chop shop contact. We got 20% market rate that time.

The jobs themselves are just an afterthought to me, pay-wise. I spend most of the legwork identifying and prepping other shit to get stolen and then fenced.
>>
>>49196892
That's fantastic to hear.
>>
>>49204492
Not related to this, but could you put the contact creation rules in Run Faster into Chummer? Because for a GM building contacts it would make things much easier if I could just use Chummer for it and NOT have to go through the regular character creation route. (At which point I could just put the stats to an Excel sheet faster than dealing with Chummer.)
>>
>>49204492
Hey, where can I find that drone limbs chummer branch? I must be a total fucking scrub when it comes to github, because I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>49204495
The jobs really should pay more.

Your team fought against an Ares mid-level executive for 9k per head? Either your Face is a shitty negotiator or the GM really should offer bigger payments for such jobs.
>>
>>49204602
>Your team fought against an Ares mid-level executive for 9k per head? Either your Face is a shitty negotiator or the GM really should offer bigger payments for such jobs.

>Highest opposing Dice Pool + (Dice Pool / 4)
It was a 10.

>Runners were outnumbered three to one in a combat situation +1
That's where we got the Alphas.

That gives a multiplier of x3 - 9k.

There was never a situation where we had to fight 3+ spirits at once, take on a pack of 6+ critters, we stole and fought so there was no 'impressive speed or subtlety,' and so on, and so forth. The only one that we could have gotten but didn't was the 'risk of public exposure,' but that was a risk we took ourselves, rather than something 'as a natural part of the run.'

How much do you think the book recommends actually paying people, chummer? This is why motherfuckers boost cars.
>>
>>49204559
There are contact creation rules? Gimme a page reference and I'll see what I can do.

>>49204570
There's no automatic build for it, you'd have to do a pull and build it yourself. Specifically this one: https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/tree/DroneLimbs
Give this a shot:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17469748/DroneLimbs.20160907.zip
>>
>>49204706
>https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17469748/DroneLimbs.20160907.zip
Thanks, chummer, works perfectly for what I wanted to do.
>>
>>49204754
Cool beans. Lemme know if you find an interesting way to break it, I haven't had much chance to test it for odd ways it could break yet.
>>
>>49204776
Will do. The first thing I looked for was whether or not the price for the Customizations was still calculating off of a base of 3, and it's not, so it's all good so far.
>>
>>49204166
I doubt it,she seems like a practical gal.if she wanted to kill someone she would kill that rhombous guy
>>
>>49204706
Starting from page 179 Run Faster has random tables for making up different quirks for the contacts and page 180 specifically has a table that shows how many points in stats, skills, cash etc. a contact has based on their connections level. So not exactly points buy or priorities etc. but it does make sense as a connections 1 contact is simply some random dude while connections 5 has all kinds of skills, gear and contacts of his own available to him.
>>
>>49204492
>Native American
>Looks white as the driven snow

Oh look, yet another Mary Sioux.
>>
>>49204968
Heh.
>>
File: 1461306999182.jpg (1MB, 3247x2767px) Image search: [Google]
1461306999182.jpg
1MB, 3247x2767px
>>49204662
>using book payouts

There's your problem. I'm all for taking shit and selling it later, but the book hilariously underestimates costs.
>>
>>49184069
For my street level Redmond campaign it's kind of a given
>>
>>49204258
It costs her nothing, absolutely nothing, to also acknowledge or even ignore that the revenge she wants for Nightjar will also be revenge Duncan wants for Carter. That she actually takes time out to tell him no one gives a fuck about Carter is sloppy management and she should be a lot less surprised that it blows up in her face.

For what it's worth I guess she's not totally surprised, which is why she tries to buy you off with anything you can imagine (which is a bullshit promise, she admits the Yellow Lotus are about to bite the big one and they do and you have to relocate anyway).
>>
File: file.png (365KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
365KB, 600x385px
>>49204962
Hmm. That's doable, yes.
>>49204968
One-drop laws, omae.
>>
What are some different ways your fixer found your group? Last game I ran my group through food fight, so I don't wanna reuse it again just yet.
>>
>>49205300
While on the run from civilized, SIN-having society, we encountered a runner on his off-hours who invited us to meet the local madame of an independent brothel/bar who also lines up jobs between her customers. It's a nice diversity of potential employers that way since just about anybody could be hanging out at the bar.
>>
Post bad runner cliches that you actually totally like! I'll start.

>minmaxes character
>no room for vehicles or chump change
>murderhobo has to take the bus to the jobs

I just love the image of a battle-hardened heavily armed Troll sheepishly dropping 4.50 and an extra 20 for the bus driver to shut up so he can make it to the next job.To the point where I would probably choose not to get a vehicle just so that can be a thing my guy does.

And if that leads to a bloody bus shootout (with hostages) against Knight Errant so be it.
>>
Would it be bad if I made a SINner? What are the upsides and downsides?
>>
>>49205077
Considering the amount it suggests paying usually allows for one to live a medium lifestyle for a good three months, I wouldn't say so.

Then again, Shadowrun somehow thinks that an assault rifle is more expensive than a mortgage.
>>
>>49205401
Any kind of crook with a heart of gold. A street mage girl running against the wishes of her parents because her dad can't work any more after an industrial accident. A foreboding, silent warrior who gives all his money to charity. A sly, charming scoundrel who talks a big game but always takes those underdog jobs for desperate people with no money. Ya gotta have heart, man.
>>
What would happen if a megacorp was converted to a cooperative? Does every big business in Shadowrun have to be a classic stock-managed for-profit with a board, CEO and a pile of angry, rich investors? It'd be neat if there was a more "sympathetic" business owned by the workers and customers, which might have a different outlook compared to the usual "wage slave" model.
>>
What is banraku and how does it work exactly?
>>
>>49205543

>corps
>good guys
>ever

shkreli pls go n stay go
>>
>>49205424
>upsides
Having an actual, legal identity makes it way easier to do basic, normal, legal stuff during normal life and during legwork. It's a huge load off, as far as everyday logistics is concerned.

>downsides
People can use it to know who you actually are, making just straight up disappearing under a new identity way harder to do. If you burn this one, you've suddenly got a Criminal SIN following you around. You're expected to pay a certain percentage of your earnings as taxes, and if you fail to do so you might get a tax audit.

Personally, almost all of my characters are SINners, because it's hard for me to think up backstories where a character wouldn't have inevitably been given a SIN either at birth or through their former employers.
>>
File: Cyberpunk.jpg (59KB, 987x301px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk.jpg
59KB, 987x301px
>>49205543
That exists, it's called Horizon. Every employee has a voice in every decision, and they steer the company in what they say is a beneficial way for everyone who does business with them. Surprise, it immediately became a twisted monster torturing and abusing people for profit, because literally the whole point of cyberpunk is that the world is dominated by corporations, and by definition a corporation is an amoral entity that exists to produce profit, and people go along with it as long as the hurt is far enough away that they don't need to see it.
>>
>>49205587
Bunraku. You have a personafix chip (a chip that temporarily overrides your personality with a custom personality) slotted, and then you're used as a mind-controlled sex slave.

This can range from extremely low-end (the personafix chips are mainly used to keep you under control by your pimp), to extremely high-end (loaded up with appearance-shifting ware, clients drop five figures on getting to live our custom-personality, custom-appearance enabled sex fantasies with you).

It's one of the most scummy things in the setting, because it's hard to get more violated than mind-contolled sex slavery.
>>
>>49205424
The upside is that you have a full and legal SIN, so you can actually Own Stuff Legally. This isn't that great because if you Legally Own the gun used in a shooting of a corp officer, it had better have been reported stolen weeks ago or your ass is in trouble. But as far as getting a place to live in, it's great.

The downside is that you have a lot more spam coming your way, have your biometrics on file (so much easier to find if things go wrong), pay taxes, and that's about it for a National SIN.

Each level beyond gets worse and worse, so really, don't take it unless you want a lot of pain.
>>
>>49205591
>Personally, almost all of my characters are SINners, because it's hard for me to think up backstories where a character wouldn't have inevitably been given a SIN either at birth or through their former employers.

If they were born in Redmond Barrens or something like that then they would most likely not get a SIN. There are still plenty of sinless people in Shadowrun, even in the 2070s.

Granted that any background where the (now SINless) character got military/police training or worked as a wageslave would somehow have erased the SIN before becoming a runner.

Having said that, my Sioux character does have a SIN because having read the book of Sioux nation I decided that I want to make a shaman who had served in their military. I am still contemplating on having the SIN erased.
>>
>>49205517
>Basing an entire character around the worst obligatory episode from any given anime
At least take it a step up and go with the blind nigga samurai or something.
>>
>>49205619
>because literally the whole point of cyberpunk is that the world is dominated by corporations
No it's about the collapse of the world. Corporations being all spooky and powerful like they are in Shadowrun is relatively exclusive to Shadowrun. I can't think of a single other cyberpunk settings where corporations are so interchangeable with nations.
>>
>>49205543
>What would happen if a megacorp was converted to a cooperative?
It would be called Horizon, because that's kinda how it works.
>>
>>49205654
>If they were born in Redmond Barrens or something like that then they would most likely not get a SIN.
Almost none of my characters are 'street kid from anarchy zone' as their backstory.
>>
File: put these on.png (2KB, 1024x228px) Image search: [Google]
put these on.png
2KB, 1024x228px
>tfw security didn't find your monofilament whip

I hope these guys have life insurance, because it's going to be a lonely fucking Christmas for their kids this year.
>>
>>49205652
Can you elaborate on biometrics, what they mean in SR, how to deal with mine being on file, etc?
>>
>>49205401
>tfw your the only one in the group who bothers to get a vehicle
>"how are you getting there?"
>entire party confused realizing that transportation is a thing
>I'm already halfway there on my motorcycle
>party forces rigger to buy a van with his own money just so he can ferry them around
>>
>>49205769
You really can't deal with having your biometrics (generally at least DNA, fingerprints, and retinal scan) on file and have the SINner negative quality.

But to amorelate it, take C2 with you so that you don't leave blood trails, get gear to fake different eye patterns, and always do your work in a disguise of some kind. Lifts in your shoes, hat, respirator around your face, those kinds of things at minimum.

Having biometrics on files means, for instance, that if you leave any blood behind your SIN will pop up as one of the matches. If an eye scanner gets close enough to you, it will show that it recorded your eye print at this time, this place, and so on, in a report. If they look for DNA traces where you touched things and you left DNA, well, that fingers you as having been there.

So, in short, it means that you need to put in a lot of mirrorshades-y stuff into not getting found out.
>>
File: Jade Dragon Club.jpg (208KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Jade Dragon Club.jpg
208KB, 1280x720px
>>49205696
>I can't think of a single other cyberpunk settings where corporations are so interchangeable with nations

Then you aren't thinking very hard. Rosen from Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Cold Cash War, the Solar Queen books, CP2020, Omni Consumer Products from Robocop, Repo! the Genetic Opera, the list goes on and on.

'Megacorporation' was a term coined by Gibson himself to describe the influence that corporations had on everyday life in his stories. Their power is more explicit in the 6th World than is often portrayed (usually the governments are just bought and paid for by the corps, which have incredible latitude and de facto control but still pay lip service), but 'Corporation that utterly dominates the lives of it's employees, dictating their every move and wringing out every ounce of productivity' is a staple of cyberpunk and science fiction in general.

Cyberpunk isn't about the collapse of the world, it's about the social order that used to be coming apart in the face of advanced technologies that humans are incapable of using for the greatest good, and the new social order that rises out of that. And in that new social order, zaibatsus are the standard form power takes.
>>
>>49205401
Honestly, I don't think it's a problem when a character doesn't start the game with a vehicle. But getting one soon should be pretty high on their priority list because it makes things easier. Even if you don't take it to a mission.
>>
>>49205745
>tfw security didn't find your monofilament whip, your gun, your back-up gun or your knife
These guys really suck at their jobs
>>
File: Dollpunk.jpg (73KB, 434x510px) Image search: [Google]
Dollpunk.jpg
73KB, 434x510px
>>49198044
But is v3 still canon?

I mean, the game should generate enough art assets to spare us from dollpunk, but if we can still swap cyberware as easily as jewelry and need to deal with AI security systems nanoconstructing devil dogs to eat our face, I'm not really interested.
>>
File: Evil Smile.gif (304KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
Evil Smile.gif
304KB, 400x240px
>>49205855
>first run with new group
>playing rigger with Bulldog
>"OK, how are you guys getting to the bar you were hired to burn down?"
>"We'll all get in Anon's van."
>"Sorry guys, you can't. I pulled out the seats in the back to fit in the Steel Lynx and the racks for rest of my drones. Even if I didn't, it'd be hard 4 guys in full armour, including a troll. I can give one guy a lift in the passenger seat up front."
>they then spend 15 minutes arguing about who gets shotgun
>>
>>49205976
God, I forgot that shitty art. Why did they do that, anyways? Was Talsorian broke, or did some photographer convince them to pay up-front for 'dozens of models in full costume'?
>>
>>49205696

>Corporations being all spooky and powerful like they are in Shadowrun is relatively exclusive to Shadowrun.

This effectively proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

Corporatocracy is as cyberpunk as it gets, even post-cyberpunk alludes to it, albeit with a little more discretion and more play on the social and media aspects.
>>
>>49205920
But corporations aren't nearly as interchangeable with nations in those. In fact, if you've even read Cyberpunk 2020, the corps in that actually find themselves fairly restricted by national governments. In Shadowrun, they are literally fascist-esque nations. There's hardly any difference between Mussolini and any given corporate exec in Shadowrun, save for the general ineptitude of the former.

Cyberpunk very much is about the collapse of the world. Looking any further at it than a genre meant to be "Shit only goes downhill from here" is just pretentious. Business gets big because they exploit the collapse, people get disenfranchised because of it, cats and dogs live together, etc. The entire premise of a cyberpunk world requires there to be some cataclysm and afterwords no one really wants to bother with picking up the pieces.

Also, calling Repo! cyberpunk is kind of stretching it. In addendum to what I mentioned above, Cyberpunk does sort of need to maintain a specific set of dystopic parameters to actually fit in the niche genre that it is.
>>
>>49205901
How likely is it that blood on the ground in a street level game would be collected and scanned and stuff?

Can you get contacts with some sort of fake retina thing?

How often and in what level of crimes is dna searched for?
>>
>>49206157
For a street level game, probably only if actual enforcement gets called in. In the actual Barrens, that generally means that things have gone so sideways that your SIN is probably the least of everyone's worries.

If you just don't want your retinal pattern to be recognized in most cases, a polychromic lens can be put in contacts for a 100 nuyen and one capacity. If you also want to try fooling retinal scanners, that's a bit of eyeware you'd have to install.

For DNA, well, keep in mind that a blood test has that in it. I'd say that for most crimes that a security force can actually be assed to examine there will be some DNA searching done, but again.

In the Barrens, security coming in is usually a bit rare and they're more likely to just make a token appearance (if that) and pin it on somebody nearby with a Criminal SIN.
>>
File: Cyber Police.jpg (95KB, 500x594px) Image search: [Google]
Cyber Police.jpg
95KB, 500x594px
>>49206154
>Cyberpunk very much is about the collapse of the world. Looking any further at it than a genre meant to be "Shit only goes downhill from here" is just pretentious

It's not pretentious. Failing to do so is saying that you don't understand what differentiates cyberpunk from any other kind of dystopian literature. Fucking Beowulf fits the criteria of 'shit only goes downhill from here'.

>Cyberpunk does sort of need to maintain a specific set of dystopic parameters to actually fit in the niche genre that it is

So then what are these parameters you're using. Because you just shot down the idea that it has parameters beyond dystopia. Or do you mean to imply that there's a specific series of parameters but no possible themes that run through the genre, in which case I'll need to take a few minutes to catch my breath after laughing at you long and loud.

And the corps in CP2020 aren't restricted by the national governments in a meaningful sense. In Night City, corps openly war over neighbourhoods, they have 'assets' signed onto lifelong contracts (and if they discard these assets, they become homeless living in squalor or if they're lucky Nomads living in mobile squalor). Militech controls the American military and much of the political apparatus, Arasaka has huge influence on Japan, EBM is the same in Europe, etc.
>>
File: 1453757572381.jpg (105KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1453757572381.jpg
105KB, 650x650px
So a pondering I've been having: Invae versus actual Insect Spirits.

That is to say that based on the original ideas, intent and materials relating to the Horrors, it seems less that the 'Bug Spirits' that caused the great shitstorms of the 4th World and later the calamities in Chicago and so forth aren't in the same category of spirits as the rest because.. they aren't really spirits in the same, conventional sense. Basically that they're rather extradimensional entities, your typical Lovecraftian creature which more or less resembles an insect because that's about the closest that our feeble mortal minds can rationalize its existence and its methodologies. The same way that we rationalize Cthulhu as having the head of a squid and the body of a dragon or something to that extent, when it's something much more intricate and mind-boggling than that. In other words, the Invae aren't spirits, but posture as spirits in order to get a foothold and cram themselves into meatsuits and do their thing. This, at least to me, seems like what the original intention for them to be was.

I base this on the presence of other Insect Totems like those of Spider and Scorpion. Spider was released into the world in the same fashion as many other Totems were, when its seal was sprung and such. The initial flesh form horrors that it enacted when it was released and went around fucking up everyone from metahumanity to the Invae could be more chalked up to Spider having gone toxic or corrupt, rather than it being the same as the Invae. After all, once Spider was brought to heel and put in check, it resumed a form that was more in-line with the other Animal Totems, rather than continue to act as the Invae did.

In other words, theoretically that would mean that there are two kinds of 'Bug Spirit' out there.. the actual, 'natural' Insect Spirits of our own metaplanes, ala Spider and Scorpion, which would be capable of acting as Totems in the traditional sense; and then the Invae. [1/2]
>>
File: Cyberpunk 2077.jpg (371KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cyberpunk 2077.jpg
371KB, 1600x1200px
>>49206302
Forgot to mention. There's literally multiple Corporate Wars in CP2020, including the last one of 2e that had Arasaka using the Japanese military as it's proxy, and Militech doing the same with America. Saying that they don't have the power of nations is foolish. As I mentioned, they don't go around making people citizens of the corporation, but the corporations do control the goverments in every meaningful sense. You don't need to declare that this land is extraterritorial and thus beyond US law when you can just have your puppet Senate pass laws saying the corp can do whatever they want.
>>
>>49206374
The Invae, in this case, being so prevalent and utterly 'fuck your shit up' that even if you WERE approached by a legitimate Insect Spirit, people wouldn't trust that shit for the life of them - the risks would be just too high to even begin taking such a story for granted. In other words, there could very well be a wellspring of actual Insect Totems out there in the same vein and style as Spider and Scorpion that are going completely untapped due to the presence of the Invae.[2/2]
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (496KB, 249x953px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
496KB, 249x953px
>>49206302
>And the corps in CP2020 aren't restricted by the national governments in a meaningful sense
Ah jeeze

>>49206404
>that had Arasaka using the Japanese military as it's proxy, and Militech doing the same with America
Except for the fact that it explicitly stated that both of those nations were tired of the corps rolling MBTs through their streets and declared war on them.
>>
>>49205620
Funnily enough it's sometimes a consensual procedure; you slot in the p-chip, you pass out, you wake up a few hours later feeling tired and sore and sticky but you have a bunch of nuyen in your pocket that wasn't there before. It's only when the p-soft is never switched off when it truly becomes horrific.
>>
Could someone better explain choosing skills during the character creation process than the 5e core rule book? I've read it over and over again, and it sounds just as convoluted now as it did the first read through
>>
>>49206255
Well, what's standard? If a banger turns up dead in an alley way, would it be safe to assume that there would be a full investigation, with fingerprint searching and searching for latent DNA, etcetera?

If we get into a gunfight inside of the stuffer shack, will the Slugs be dug out of the wall and cross-referenced with legally owned firearms? Will the cops search every square inch for fingerprints? Or will they just look at the video footage, concluded that they don't identify anyone, and call it a day?
>>
>>49206564
The priority you assigned to skills will have a number in the form of XX/x where the two digit one is how many ranks you can put into individual skills (you can also get a specialty for one rank, but only one per skill at creation). The smaller x is how many ranks you can put into skill groups. You have ranks in every skill in a Skill Group equal to how many ranks you have in that skill group and can't get a specialty in those skills with ranks. You gotta pay the seven karma for it.
>>
>>49206564
Like I understand that since I choose Priority C skills, I can choose two groups of skills in addition to the twenty singular skills. My question is what's max rank for them, how do you go about choosing them? Do you choose it like "okay, proficiency in blades is one point, but I'm gonna spend an extra two of those to make it rank three", or something like that?
>>
File: Elf Decker 4.jpg (116KB, 609x1310px) Image search: [Google]
Elf Decker 4.jpg
116KB, 609x1310px
>>49206564
>>49206640

>assuming priority

You get a number of skill points and skill group points as stated in the priority you chose. So if you chose Skills C, you get 28 skill points and 2 skill group points.

You can spend skill points one-for-one to raise the rating of a skill. So if you spend 3 skill points on Perception, your Perception rating is 3 (and when you roll, it'll be Perception+Intuition, or 3 dice+whatever your Intuition score in dice is). You can also spend one point to get a specialization in something, which is a two-die bonus when that specialization is used. So you can get Perception (Visual); you roll 3 dice if you are trying to listen in on someone, taste something, etc, but 5 dice when you are trying to see something.

Skills max a rank 6 in chargen. Skill Groups are preset bundles, they're listen on pg. 90.
>>
>>49206579
In the Barrens, assume that there's only going to be an investigation if the crime involved a SINner getting hurt, it was on the outskirts of the Barrens, or there were literal, feelable explosions going on.

And even then, unless the SINner was important or it was real close to more civilized places, or the guys in that area really wanted extra arrest pay, assume that they won't go in big into the Barrens and will just pin it on a Criminal SINner as soon as they hit a brick wall or it looks like the effort won't pay off well.

Like, they'll take the shots out, if there's an obvious attachment go after that, but if not they'll just find somebody with a Criminal SIN to pin it on, or if it happened deep in the barrens, just look at the video and pin it on somebody or give up.

Now, if you shot an upper-middle-class person, they might make an actual effort to find the actual shooters (i.e. you) even if they need to put in effort.

And if you somehow shot an important Azetchnology or Ares or other corp person, well, then KE or the Star are the least of your problems.
>>
File: double_uncle.png (97KB, 368x490px) Image search: [Google]
double_uncle.png
97KB, 368x490px
How to stat Uncle? Any CC method works.

I'm thinking Mystic Adept, specialising in Banishing?
>>
>>49206693
Okay, thanks chummer. It's clicking, finally.
Truth be told, I'm not fond of the slang "chummer", but if I start using it ironically enough I'm sure it'll grow on me like bae, thicc, and so on
>>
File: mind-blown.gif (4MB, 315x210px) Image search: [Google]
mind-blown.gif
4MB, 315x210px
>>49184435
>"Booster" refers to car boosters ie. car thieves.
I just figured this shit out guys.
>>
>>49206879
Just remember that 'chummer' is actually an insult in the setting. I always think of /srg/'s usage of it as the same way 4chan uses faggot.
>>
>>49206872
One more thing: needs the Aged negative quality.

One more thing: needs Dependants (Jade).

One more thing: Needs Day Job (40 hours).
>>
>>49206923
>I always think of /srg/'s usage of it as the same way 4chan uses faggot.
That's pretty much how I always looked at it too. You're hanging around a shitty borderline-Shadowland dive of a place like 4chan? Yeah, people are gonna call you shit in a casual fashion.
>>
>>49206579
>>49206728
>"I heard there was a shoot out in that one cafe in the barrens, anyone get geeked?"
>Yeah, a couple of SINless gangers. Youngest was probably fourteen or so, matches descriptions of robbery and harassment complaints. Guess we can close those and make room for the others."
>"the department gonna do anything else about it?"
>"nah, not worth the effort. Boss says let 'em geek each other, we'll just clean up the mess. Less paperwork and more money saved that way. They geek a SINner though, and we'll take those shadow-fraggers out."
>>
>>49206923
Well now I feel bad for accidentally insulting the anons helping me out. Sorry mates
>>
>>49206994

Aged and Dependents kind of were a given. I would suspect Jackie and Tohru would also both be dependants since they all live in Uncle's shop?

What else do I go with?
>>
>>49206994
You also need a sumo troll to be your apprentice/assistant
>>
/srg/'s opinion on /r/RunnerHub houserules?: http://runnerhub.wikia.com/wiki/HouseRules_of_RunnerHub
>>
>>49207084
I'd be tempted to make him a prime runner just fit in all the qualities, and to have the karma to buy two potent foci (dried salamander and puffer fish). He'd need Powerbolt/Manabolt for that green energy he shoots. I don't know what Martial Art would be best- it needs to be very effective, but based on hand movements and not moving anywhere fast.

Creature of Comfort (middle), given how picky he is about food and leaving the shop. Incompetent (Electronic).
>>
>>49206923
>Just remember that 'chummer' is actually an insult in the setting
Since bloody when?
>>
>>49207220
Perhaps Bak Mei, a style of Kung fu that focuses on strong hand strikes
>>
>>49206923
Chummer n. Friend, used in the same sense as "pal" or "buddy."
Ripped directly from the book
>>
File: Hahaha_No_WWE.gif (475KB, 150x113px) Image search: [Google]
Hahaha_No_WWE.gif
475KB, 150x113px
>>49207426
>Calling another person "buddy" or "pal" is an insult.
>>
File: CC0xG1rUsAEtJHb.jpg (45KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
CC0xG1rUsAEtJHb.jpg
45KB, 600x338px
>>49207426
I'm not your buddy, guy.
>>
>>49206417

that is a pretty powerful justification for Bad Rep.

"Hey I follow the Ant Spirit.

B-B-B-B-BUT THE GOOD ONE PUT THE SHOTGUN DOWN!!!"
>>
>>49207472
"The only good bug is a dead bug! Everyone get ready to pop this bastard's head like a watermelon between my wife's thighs."

"Jesus fuck, why did I ever accept your help, you piece of shit Ant!"
**'Ey, don't lookit me, hombre. Ant gotta do what Ant gotta do, eh?**
"And why are you Mexican?! Seriously, I picked you up in Canada!"
>>
Is there a chummer for shitty phone os?
>>
>>49207555
I'm assuming by "shitty phone os" you mean ios, in which case, AHAHAHAH, no.
If for some reason you mean android still no.
>>
>>49207577
Drek.

How about a browser based chummer?
>>
>>49207615
No. Suck it up and download the zip, it's tiny considering how useful it is.
>>
>>49207615
Chummer is Chummer, if there was anything else you would bet your ass it would be right up there in the OP with everything else. Do you literally only have a phone or something because if so, it's time to break out the old fashion pen and paper.
>>
>Custom Fit
>...When an item is Custom Fit, any changes to an individual’s Physical Attributes, whether through Karma advancement or augmentation (but not through magic), require the suit to be refit....
Would this mean that drugs are also no-go? Do combat drugs temporarily increase my actual bulk?
If yes, how does AGI or REF boosting work with Custom Fit? I doubt they would make any drastic changes.
>>
>>49207840
A. Ref isn't a stat
B. No, they don't actually bulk you up
C. If you boost a physical attribute, you boosted a physical attribute and ya gotta live with that
>>
>>49207886
Hurp durp meant REA.
But the question was would boosting count as augmention? If the drugs don't bulk you up or change your physique, that would mean that they shouldn't be at odds with custom fitted clothing, no?
>>
>>49207840
I feel like it only applies to PERMANATE changes, but like with a lot of things it's just kinda poorly worded and doesn't say quite enough. You should probably just ask your DM, either he'll say it's cool because it's just a temporary buff, or he'll have you bust out of your clothing like Senator Armstrong fighting the Incredible Hulk
>>
>>49207840
>Doing cocaine increases your muscle mass
That is oddly hilarious
>>
New Thread
>>49207965
>>
>>49207942
>But the question was would boosting count as augmention?
Coulda phrased it better, but no, it doesn't count
>>
>>49207942
Considering magic doesn't (likely because it's temporary), I'd say drugs are in the same category. It's not comfortable as it was, but it's still wearable.
>>
>>49207840
>>49207886

This is disappointing.

>wearing nice suit
>take K10
>Hulk Out
>>
File: 14368734._SY540_.jpg (64KB, 380x540px) Image search: [Google]
14368734._SY540_.jpg
64KB, 380x540px
Last game, one of my players asked me when I'm going to have recurring antagonists in the game. One badguy from the last game, (a rigger hitman), will become an NPC, but I need a true challenge for the party. Frank Castle is my inspiration for the homicidal vigilante who shoots up honest BTL dens and destroys mafia casinos, but should he be an adept, or a Street Samurai? The Punisher isn't the type to use cyberware, I don't think.
>>
>>49205489
>Considering the amount it suggests paying usually allows for one to live a medium lifestyle for a good three months, I wouldn't say so.

The issue is most of the modules written use low payouts and don't use the proper scale listed in the book.

basically the 'if i'm gonna run, it should be worth it more than being a petty thief.' I mean. There's the whole stealing car ballpark that gets brought up, and i don't want to get into it, but keep in mind that 3 months of medium is 15000 a pop per runner, across a team of 4-6 - thats serious money.

Most book payouts are like, 2k to 5k maybe on a good day tops.
>>
>>49208202

Honestly..... the punisher should have a body double. They both met as stunt doubles for the same guy.

One's a street sam, one's an adept. Both hate crime.

because shit, you NEVER make a solo 'antagonist or nemesis' in sr, because 1 v 4 always loses once multiple passes go into play.

make im a smart man, mate. Your best weapon is backup.
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 63

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.