[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Familiar Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 36

File: QDBFmtc.jpg (23KB, 418x650px) Image search: [Google]
QDBFmtc.jpg
23KB, 418x650px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Old Thread
>>48580534

>July 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/quick-characters

>August 2016 Unearthed Arcana
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/faithful/

What's the best use and characterization of a familiar you've seen?
>>
Opinions on this? As you can see, I desperately need better names for the ring's properties.

>The Pale Ring of Myrkul
Ring, very rare, requires attunement
While wearing this ring, you gain the following benefits:

Undead Ward. You are considered to be under the effects of the sanctuary spell (save DC 15) to any undead creature. If you attack or cast a spell that affects an undead, or if it succeeds on its save, it is no longer affected for the next 24 hours.

Undead Tongue. You have advantage on Charisma checks when interacting with intelligent undead.

Undead Touch. You can use your action to cast the spell chill touch, at your level, if it is on your class' spell list.
>>
>>48590185
I also need some kind of minor curse or, even better, a Flaw, to give to the wearer.
>>
>>48590185
>Myrkul
He's a cheeky one. I'd consider putting in some sort of cursed effect. Myrkul like his chum Bhaal is a schemer by nature.
>>
How important is it to have a detailed setting for a campaign? I'm planning on DMing for my college's DnD club this fall and I'm putting a lot of work into the setting but my friend who's a more experienced DM than I am says I shouldn't do so much writing. He says if I have too much planned out I'll be more likely to railroad players and there's a chance the players I end up with won't care about my setting and will just want to kill monsters and raid dungeons.
But a big part of the reason I wanted to DM is that I enjoy world building so I'm not sure I want to DM if I'm actively discouraged from it. What's everyone else's opinion, should I have a detailed world or just have basic details and make shit up as I go along like my friend thinks?
>>
>>48589956
ForeverDM here, only time I had a player use Find Familiar it was a Druid who summoned an eagle, realized it was night time (and didn't like the color I described), so he snapped his neck and tossed it aside before dismissing and summoning a new one.

Other than that, I played a one-shot as a racist elf Bladesinger (whose sister was a PC elf barbarian) and had an owl familiar named Nebuchadnezzar who was a badass in a scrap.

Bladesinger + owl familiar + Totem Barbarian + Rogue. We walked through most encounters.
>>
So, anyone got any ideas, hopes or expectations for the new races in Volo's Guide to Monsters? We know of 6 races we're getting so far, but anyone got any others they really want to see?

For the curious, those six races are:
* Orc, Goblin, Firbolg: Revealed in the product summary for Volo's Guide.
* Aasimar: Revealed on Reddit.
* Catfolk: Revealed on Twitter, but we don't know what "sort" of catfolk we're getting - there's tabaxi and wemics (lion-centaurs, essentially) as "traditional" Faerunian catfolk, after all.
* Tritons: The podcast where they talk about Storm King's Thunder.

Personally, I want to see:
* Kobolds - because they're, like, one of the most popular monstrous races besides orcs/goblins.
* Gnolls - because I think they could really make for an interesting race if they weren't pigeonholed into "demon-worshipping lazy cannibal slavers" all the time.
* Saurials - simply because they're an esoteric FR race and, really, it's a race of dinosaurs; you have to be *trying* to cock that up.
* Aranea - because I think they put the Isle of Dread in Faerun at some point and because "intelligent, magically adept spider-were" is a really unusual racial archetype.
* Tannaruk and Fey'ri - because we got Tiefling variants already, so why not go the whole hog and give us the FR-native Orc & Elf versions of tieflings too?
>>
>>48590318
I'd like to see official lizardfolk stats.
>>
>>48590251
Building a world/setting for your campaign has nothing to do with railroading. Make the world as detailed as you want. The more detailed and prepared you are, the easier it is to roll with it when your group unexpectedly goes somewhere/does something you weren't expecting.

What you should avoid doing is writing too much of the campaign ahead of time. Build the world, and create plot points, but leave how the group gets from plot point A to plot point B out of your notes. Also try to keep your plot hooks rather open ended, so you can throw them in whenever it's appropriate.

So instead of "The captain of the guard tells the group X", just have "The group learns X" in your notes. This way you're able to be flexible and introduce plot hooks when you feel it's appropriate, and aren't forcing the group to meet some specific person, or go to some specific location to get the plot hook.
>>
File: oh god cat.jpg (51KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
oh god cat.jpg
51KB, 500x500px
>>48590261
>only time I had a player use Find Familiar it was a Druid who summoned an eagle, realized it was night time (and didn't like the color I described), so he snapped his neck and tossed it aside before dismissing and summoning a new one
>>
How much damage would someone take per round if they were tied up and dragged by a horse? Don't ask why but this is going to come up a lot in my campaign.
>>
>>48590391
But why?
>>
>>48590391
>How much damage would someone take per round if they were tied up and dragged by a horse? Don't ask why but this is going to come up a lot in my campaign.
Oh you fucking bet I'm going to ask why.
>>
>>48590399
It's a weird western themed campaign so I expect a lot of people to get lasso'd and dragged through the desert.
>>
>>48590229
Yeah, but what kind of curse? It's my first time making a cursed item.
>>
>>48590416
>>48590425
Not just horses but camels, elephants, griffons etc etc. Name an animal you can ride on and I will have someone hogtied and dragged to death by it.
>>
>>48590425
Fair enough. I'd say probably 1d10/round. That said, clothing would reduce the damage, potentially. It's the reason biker's wear "leathers". Cloth wouldn't offer much protection, but leather or metal armor would reduce the damage.
>>
>>48590436
Upon wearing the ring you die.
>>
>>48589956
>What's the best use and characterization of a familiar you've seen?
It actually WAS a tressym, one that could talk.
It was basically like any other cat in personality and just flew around knocking over shit and leaping at invisible things for fun while asking for food and occasionally calling it's master a "douch-faggot" when he wouldn't feed him then flying out of reach when you tried to hit him.

It felt completely accurate to what a talking winged cat would act like as well as being the only familiar ever in a group I've been in with an actually distinctive personality.
>>
>>48590450
So I'll say 1d4 to 1d8 depending on the armor and the kind of animal dragging them. Thanks.
>>
>>48590467
Upon taking off the ring, you die.
And at a random time each day, the ring will begin to itch for 2d6 minutes.
>>
File: iStock_000011829501XSmall.jpg (124KB, 285x421px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000011829501XSmall.jpg
124KB, 285x421px
> Archfey Warlocks get Fey Pressence at level 1
> Draconic Bloodline Sorcerers get Draconic Pressence at level 18

Why? I mean they're practically the same thing, the latter's just bigger and has a cost, why have something like that not available until 18?
>>
>>48590523
Now that's more interesting. Would the curse show up under Identify?
>>
>>48590391
2d8?, I dunno.
now tell us...WHY?
>>
File: tumblr_nntu9zGni41r63nh8o1_1280.png (304KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nntu9zGni41r63nh8o1_1280.png
304KB, 900x800px
>>48590335
this is what i want as well.
>>
So for my next session I'm planning on forgoing a full dungeon and having a mission where the players have to protect a Naga while he summons a portal to the Feywild. What would be some cool evil fay/fiend type creatures that could besiege them?
>>
>>48590564
Fey Presence lasts for a single turn and is not selective in what it affects.

Draconic Presence lasts for 1 minute, has a massive area, and only affects hostile creatures. It's the equivalent of a much larger selective Fear spell (and costs the equivalent amount of sorcery points).
>>
>>48590506
>>48590450
There really shouldn't be any damage reduction because being dragged along the ground also involves slamming into any objects in your path, such as rocks, logs, and brambles. Smashing your head into a rock like that would easily kill you, so just make it flat damage per round.
>>
Hey, folks? If we got "Adventurer's Guides" for various other settings, what crunchy goodness do you think they'd slip in that relate to that setting?

For example; in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, we got Duergar Dwarves, Ghostwise Halflings, Svifneblin Gnomes, Variant Half-Elves & Tieflings, Elk/Tiger/Skypony/ThunderBeast/TreeGhost spirits for the Totem Warrior Barbarian, Arcana Domain for Clerics, Banneret Fighter, Monkly Ways of the Long Death and Sun Soul, Oath of the Crown Paladin, Mastermind & Swashbuckler Rogues, Storm Sorcerer, Undying Warlock, and Bladesinger Wizard.

So, what kinds of goodies would you expect to see in, say, a Mystara Adventurer's Guide? Or an Eberron AG? Or even a Sigil AG?
>>
>>48590573
I actually plan on having the first time this happens have it so a player is being dragged by an elephant piloted by kobolds but if opened with that people would be more likely to question it and not give me an answer.
>>
I posted this in the last thread but I was ignored, so I'll try my luck again. Updated homebrew sorcerous origin based on the necromancy idea, would appreciate criticisms and opinions.

The idea is to not take away the wizard's niche of being able to summon a small army of undead and being able to boost them all, while at the same time giving the Sorcerer a different style and something to make up for it.(I.E. Wizard=Skeleton party, Sorc=monster mash)
>>
File: y tho.jpg (398KB, 1360x1584px) Image search: [Google]
y tho.jpg
398KB, 1360x1584px
>>48590391
1d4+3 per round if they don't make a Constitution save at DC 15.

pic related
>>
>>48590837
I'm curious as to your reasoning behind each ability, in terms of how it defines the archetype thematically, and what type of playstyle you envision?

Even with the Wild Magic, or the Draconic, you aren't pigeonholed into playing the class a particular way. Just wanted to see how you felt about it.
>>
>>48590837
The problem I see with Soul Sculptor is with Raise Dead/True Resurrection, which require that the creature's soul be free. As it stands, the only spell to my knowledge which can trap a creature's soul is Imprisonment, which is 9th level.

With that in mind, do you hold onto the soul indefinitely, or do you lose it after a certain amount of time? I'd probably say you lose stored souls after you complete a short rest.

Also, being able to gain four sorcery points per short rest is the sorcerer's capstone. The odds of killing four or more enemies in one battle are pretty good. All this to say Soul Sculptor makes it too easy to regain sorcery points. Maybe it has to be a creature with a CR equal to or greater than your level?

I might say Death's Embrace is almost equal to a paladin's capstone in power, but they can only use those once per day. Permanent resistance to nonmagical damage is crazy powerful.
>>
As long as we're posting homebrew, I still haven't gotten any real feedback on this. Unless maybe it happened after I fell asleep one time but I don't think so.

If you don't have the time or energy to look at all of them, you can just pick one or two.
>>
File: 1324634436578.jpg (348KB, 802x802px) Image search: [Google]
1324634436578.jpg
348KB, 802x802px
Does anyone have experience with hiding your class from the rest of your party?

I'm planning to play a Halfling Charlatan Warlock of The Great Old One pretending to be a sailor (my visible character sheet will say some other class, considering Ranger or Rogue). I'll have one open character sheet on the table, and one "true" character sheet that only me and the DM will have, though the major stats will be the same, having +4 for both DEX and CHA in any case.

I have the advantage of joining my group a bit into the game at level 5, so I've talked to the DM about making my crossbow hold/be an arcane focus, pretending it's an enchanted weapon, and he's cool with it.
I'll be picking the Warcaster feat instead of my level 4 bonus ability score so I can cast my Eldritch Bolts without worrying about the somatic part, and then simply pretend I'm screaming something in halfling whenever I shoot, being the only halfling in the group.
(On my visible sheet I'll have the "Crossbow Expert" feat to explain why I don't need to reload this beam-firing crossbow.)

Not entirely sure what I hope to achieve with this, but I haven't been this excited about a character in a while.
It probably wouldn't hold up for very long against experienced players, but the group is quite new and not too well-read on the details yet, and neither am I to be honest, especially not when it comes to D&D. But I hope I can fool both the players and their characters for as long as I like.

Anyone tried something similar before? How did it go? Looking to get some inspiration.
>>
>>48591130
Thanks for the criticism! Let me bounce some things off of you.

1. Make it so Soul Sculptor temporarily holds onto the souls(unless used for undead)? The idea is that the souls merely wonder and follow the Sorcerer, and he has a few choices on how to use them. I used the term "exchanged" so as not to allow the souls to be directly destroyed or imprisoned unless infused directly inside of something.

2. If I would to base it off CR, it'd mean the stronger the sorcerer the less spell points available to him. Which wouldn't make sense in any sort of direction. Perhaps I should use a similar idea you mentioned and maybe make it so the sorcery points is temporary?

3. I felt it was a justifiable way to become a pseudo-lich without having to make an entire class based on it, besides at level 18 who doesn't fling or swing magic around like it's common place?
>>
>>48591228
This will go good or bad depending on the other players and how forgiving they are. You will be in zero control when the reveal happens so I hope that wasn't your plan.
>>
>>48591228
What are you gaining by hiding this info from the other players instead of just their characters?
>>
File: 1451557434771.jpg (108KB, 599x374px) Image search: [Google]
1451557434771.jpg
108KB, 599x374px
>>48591313
>>48591319
What if getting caught is part of his plan?
>>
File: drow_mage_hot-2.jpg (24KB, 303x597px) Image search: [Google]
drow_mage_hot-2.jpg
24KB, 303x597px
I'm about to DM Out of the Abyss with some somewhat experienced 5e players. I really want to have chapter 1 set a great tone for this campaign and looking for advice to make it better. So far I'll keep Ilvara and Shoor as the typical Drow, lusting for power and higher social positions. Jorlan however I am considering actually making him a constant reoccurring character and making it his big goal to kill Ilvara and Shoor.

For now though I am more concerned with building up this outpost for the characters to try and explore and figure out their own way to escape for a week before throwing in one of the suggestions the book makes.
>>
So I need suggestions, which 5th level spells do I take as a 9th level wizard?

I'm thinking I'll take rary's telepathic bond, just to have it up all the time.

But what should the other one be?
>>
>>48591279
>at level 18 who doesn't fling or swing magic around like it's common place?
Well, for one example, any creature that relies on natural weapons (such as a dragon) typically doesn't have magical weapon attacks. They have breath attacks, but shouldn't be forced to rely on those to be able to damage a player character every minute of every day. A level 18 sorcerer would have resistance to all of the Tarrasque's attacks.

>the sorcery points is temporary?
That's essentially the same thing as just regular sorcery points. They're something that's made to be spent. It's not a significant hurdle to use sorcery points before the next time you take a short rest.
>>
>>48591319
Mostly because I know at least some of them are going to do their darndest to "accidently" discover the true identity of my character if they themselves know about it.
And just like it's more fun not to know what the DM is going to throw at you, I feel like it would be more fun for me if I kept them all in the dark for real.
>>
>>48591338
Quick guys, I need a partner for a D&D group where our characters are CIA Guy and Big Guy.
>>
>>48591378
Really depends. What kind of Wizard, how do you want to play him?
>>
>>48591313
>>48591338
I plan to get caught sooner or later. And one of the members being a paladin, I suspect there will be some conflict, but that just makes it all the more exciting.
>>
>>48591367
If you want some recurring characters then give the other prisoners PC stats. If they're familiar with D&D they aren't going to trust Jorlan unless he reveals himself to be Eilistraee in disguise and spins his pussy hair into silver plaques that read "I am trustworthy" with a signature by Corellon "Gender" Benderian in Lloth's blood.
>>
>>48591421
Just be sure to stay clear of those people with guns on planes
>>
>>48591383
Hmm alright.

1. So remove nonmagical and instead add something like resistance to cold, lightning, and necrotic(already there)?

2. Do you have any suggestions then regarding that? I like the idea and feel of being able to use souls as a power source for magic, and felt like it was fairly limited in the respect you can only gain 1 sorcery point in combat with a bonus action. I feel only out of combat would it be truly abusable.
>>
>>48591414
I'm a bladesinger, and I've got fighter HP with really high AC, usually concentrating on haste, so I do a lot of attacking with my sword.

I tend to use my level 1 slots for shield, and level 3 for haste, with 4 for counterspell. I don't get much use out of my 2nd level slots.

I do a lot of ritual casting.
>>
>>48591440
I totally understand. So far I have decided that if the group attempts to make an escape (or just acts up severely) Shoore is gonna line them all up along the ledge and give a whole speech on how they are all worthless slaves and must obey before pushing their favorite prisoner over the edge to feed them to the spiders below, well everyone but Stool I guess cause he is a pretty valuable slave to have for the Drow,

As for Jorlan, no, he would not become part of the party. He would be working on his goals solo unless he found out the party also had interest in killing Shoore and Ilvara. Then he would possibly would work with them, after a somewhat high persuasion check, unsure.
And yeah, will be keeping track on the surviving prisoners and do some chance rolls to see if they survived their travel to their destinations.
>>
Same guy as >>48590391
How many kobolds do you think would be able to ride on the back of a circus elephant at once? Again I'd prefer if you don't question why I ask this but be assured this is very important for the campaign I'm running.
>>
>>48591477
Personally, I would go with conjure Elemental cause everything else seems sorta, meh for the build. Though I have little experience with Wizards.
>>
>>48591228
That's a bit much, with the hiding character sheets thing.

My wife played a female halfling rogue once, she was pretty much Jasmine from the beginning of Aladdin, a princess who was hiding amongst the "poor" to help out and stuff. Also palace life is boring.

She rp'd it by donating her share to randoms, staying out of certain parts of town, etc. She risked getting caught any time there was a public altercation of some sort, and she would do her best to go back into hiding.
>>
>>48591228

your facade is going to fall apart immediately when you get your 2nd attack if you go rogue.

Actually, even faster than that, considering you won't be rolling sneak attack dice.
>>
Any recommendations for one shot adventures from the mega trove? Looking to run something that preferably isn't too grimdark.
>>
>>48591617
For the first two levels you can fake it with Hex.
>>
Gotta question, that I'm going to go ahead and talk with my DM about, but I'd still like to field to you guys. Does your GM, or rather would you as the GM, allow a Druid to turn into Monstrosities as well as Beasts, or just Beasts?

From what I understand, Monstrosities are just beasts with a touch of magic, I don't how it would be too far'fetched of a request. However, a Druid could take Circle of the Moon and the turn into a Death Dog, which could imbalance things a bit, so I could see the counter argument there. What about if you let them, but only at later levels, like 12 or something.

What do you guys think? Or am I missing a paragraph where it says they can?
>>
>>48591386
But they will know something is up as soon as you don't roll sneak attack dice. Actually, just rolling 2d10 every turn is sure to get you discovered ASAP.

So everyone will know that you are either lying or cheating the second you attack something. Most people will tell you "Hey, you should be rolling 5d6+8 for your two attacks, not 2d10+2d6+8" Because they think you are a rogue, not some jackass with EB and hex. At this point you have two choices
1. Come clean. You will have to explain (out of character at least) that your character is just pretending to be a level 5 rogue or whatever. This makes all of your plotting sort of pointless.
2. Cheat, and roll what you should be rolling for a xbow expert rogue. If you are a cheater you are an asshole, and when this does get discovered you might get voted off the island.
>>
>>48591526
Just hearing about one of the prisoners dying is boring. They should see it if it happens.
>>
>>48591735
On the meta side the amount of note-passing would seem sort of suspicious and I have to wonder how much it would make sense in a non-meta way to the party that they don't see him doing magic shit
>>
>>48591773
The sneak attack thing was the reason I was leaning towards it saying ranger.
But you might be right. It may just be too much hassle to try to hide everything. I'll have to reconsider.
>>
>>48591533
>Expecting people to not ask why
But seriously I'd say at least 10 bareback before they got into crowding. Double that if there's some roap or something to grip
>>
>>48591945
>But seriously I'd say at least 10 bareback before they got into crowding. Double that if there's some roap or something to grip
OHHH MYYYY
>>
>>48591945
In my head they have a seat or large basket or something on its back. Basically this is supposed to be a mobile fortress.
>>
>>48591883
My group has a halfling warlock pretending to be a wizard. We all know he's a warlock, our characters don't. Of all the people in the party, he has only used his telepathy with me (hafling rogue), and my character doesn't know shit about magic. I mean, his whole deception hasn't played much of a part in the game so far, but I'm sure it'll come up at some point.
>>
>>48591465
Resistance to cold, lightning, and necrotic should be fine.

At most what you might do is "if you have any souls remaining when you complete a short rest, you regain one sorcery point." At most. But from 2nd level to 6th level that leaves the problem that that's way better than the other use for souls.
>>
>>48592003
Yeah figured something like that come up
>>
>>48591175
Aw. No one again?
>>
Are the official miniatures worth it at all? Some of the 5th Edition monster ones look neat, but some of the humanoid ones look really bad.

Was thinking about buying some boosters but won't bother if most of the figures are bad.
>>
>>48590215
Have them roll on the minor detriment table.
>>
>>48592092
That's a whole lot to read bub. I'd help but I'm not really experienced. Maybe try to break it into individual pdfs by class, it might be more likely to get a response from other anons if it isn't so daunting
>>
>>48592125
Boosters are okay, but it's more cost-effective to buy old singles. They've been making D&D minis at the same scale since 3rd edition, and a lot of them are as cheap as $1-2 each.
>>
>>48592125
>random
thats reason enough for me to never buy them.
if you just need representatives of SOMETHING, i guess they're alright. that or you really really like a specific adventure.

they're alright quality, but you're pretty much never going to "get what you wanted" anyway, so dont think to plan buying a box or two and having the right things
>>
>>48592329
>>48592125
The minis they've made since 5e are a mixed bag. Some of them are amazing - they've made the best beholder, displacer beast, and gelatinous cube I've seen on the market - but a lot of them are flimsy. A lot of them have clear rods that require assembly, mostly because they're trying to tie it in with the Attack Wing game, and often the rods don't fit very well.

Pathfinder minis seem to be a little more durable, and lately they've also been including dungeon furniture in boosters. That might be a plus or a minus for you.
>>
>>48592161
Oh, thanks, I'll check that out! I think I'll do this, though:

Curse. While attuned to the ring, its wearer has vulnerability to necrotic damage, as it seizes the opportunity to claim some of their life. Upon taking off the ring, they drop to 0 HP and start making death saves.
>>
>>48592251
I'll try that, thanks.
>>
>>48590391
1d3 per 10 feet dragged, horse does not move at half speed while dragging fuckers.
Athletics / Acrobatics check as an action to squirm free of the rope, or deal 5 damage to an AC 10 rope (with disadvantage on the attack, even if it's a spell attack) to break it.
>>
Since it seems kinda weird that fencing isn't referenced at all in DnD, specificaly in the fighter class I've tried to come up with at least a fighting style that would bring it in the world.

So here it is:
FENCING
Whenever you use a meele weapon you gain a +1 bonus to attack's rolls and +1 bonus to damage's rolls.

Any feedback?
>>
>>48592506
And well I guess both fighters and paladins could have this since Paladins are basically suppossed to be at least expert in martial arts.
>>
>>48592506
Try again.
>>
>>48592561
what?
>>
>>48592506
Fencing in the sense of fighting with a rapier is covered by the Dueling fighting style. Fencing in the broader sense of swordsmanship can be represented by any fighting style except Archery.
>>
>>48590261
Take his sheet. Write Evil on the Alignment line. Homebrew Druid Assassins who turn into Bears and Panthers and stack Sneak Attack Dice and Kill him.
>>
>>48592613
Fencing is not just done with a rapier, Medieval fencing can be find in Viking fighting styles and so on, it's not just somethign youdo with a rapier as aI said, fencing is used with a lot of different types of weapons, mainly one handend swords, sword + shield and two handed longswords (which go from the bastard sword all the way to the Landsknecht's Zweilhander) but it obviously can be extended fairly well to polearms, axes and blunt weapons.
So no fencing is just specific to one weapon but it specific to a level of training that gives you much more precisiona dn ways to damage effectively, that is why I decided to put a +1 in both attack rolls and damage rolls.
>>
>>48592695
*not specific to just oen weapon
>>
>>48591769
I'd allow some of them but it would be a damn short list.
>>
>>48592695
That's why I added "fencing in the broader sense of swordsmanship." In that sense, every character with a melee weapon is fencing, and of course they're all trying to be precise and effectively damage the enemy. It's already assumed.
>>
Pathfag here. Looking to convert to and play some 5th edition for the first time soon. Looking around at the rules and stuff, I read also the stats of some cr1 monsters and I almost fell off my chair. Take the Scarecrow for example. How the hell is that a cr1 encounter?
>>
>>48592827
Try doesn't mean being proefficient in fencing, fencing means that you have spent that time into precision and better damage instead of just straight damage like a duellist or dual weilder or archer, or defense like for protection or hoping to have luck when you swing your two haanded weapon.
>>
>>48592923
I think it is supposed to be a lvl 1 boss enemy.
>>
>>48592506
>>48592695
>>48592827
Fencing is about scoring points, not actually murdering dudes. For a quick example, look at how people spar with spears (two hands on the spear underhanded) and then how spears were used in actual fights (one hand on the spear overhanded).

>>48592923
Re-read the CR guide. There are creatures with lower CR than 1.
>>
>>48592923
AC 11, 36 HP.

If the scarecrow loses initiative it will just die to a party before it gets a turn.

Level 1 is all rocket tag though.
>>
>>48591883

Just pretend In character. trying to deceive out of character for two wildly different classes seems like a waste of effort considering you're going to get discovered like instantly.
>>
>>48592827
>>48592931
>>48592960
i just want to note here
theres fluff
and theres crunch

what are you trying to do with the crunch to make "fencing" not just fluff
>>
>>48592989
resistance to: bludgeoning, slashing and piercing from non magical weapons
>>
>>48592985
Uhm what? Fencing is the highest art of historical european martial arts. It was specifically made to kill, seriously go look up some german manuals from the 15000s, it was made to effectively kill the opponent int he safest way with maximum precision that comes with costant practice of the guards and stances.

>>48593014
what?
>>
>>48593063
That's covered by weapon proficiency. Have you actually played these games?
>>
>>48593111
ok, i guess you're gonna try to insult me now instead of actually have a discussion, welp, I tried.
>>
>>48593063
>manuals from the 15000s
I only wish to live long enough to see german future fencing.
>>
>>48592407
>>48592352
>>48592329
Are there any good sites to buy singles?
>>
>>48593063
>It was specifically made to kill
That's precisely the Dueling fighting style, if you're fencing with a one handed weapon. If you're fencing with a two handed weapon, then Great Weapon Fighting style does the trick.
>>
>>48593164
Not him but, It seems you're not willing to change your mind. So go ahead with fencing as a fighting style. If you are DM, your word is law, and If you're the player, you can argue it with the DM.
>>
File: 1468152771705.jpg (253KB, 900x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1468152771705.jpg
253KB, 900x1062px
Baby owl griffon.
>>
>>48590185
Any ideas on the property names?
>>
>>48589956
Postin' possible invocations for Pact of the Star Chain~
>>
>>48590318
I'd think it would be nice to see some playable Minotaur stats.
>>
>>48593734
UA waterborne adventures minotaur isn't that bad.
>>
>>48593748
I didn't even know they put out the krynn. Thanks!
>>
>>48593886
Yar.
>>
>>48592923
Before you have a fit: read the encounter-building rules. They're not like Pathfinder's, since they're based on XP and not CR. CR is just a creature's "level," how strong they are.
>>
So is the Theurgy Arcane Tradition the most broken shit WotC have released so far? From level 10 and onward they are totally nuts and make you question why you would ever play some Cleric domains ever again if this exists, knowledge domain is the best example here.
>>
>playing Boltsmasters book module
>got to end of adventure
>had a level 3 cleric and two level 1 fighters
>only 3 people
>party wipes, not once, but 3 times because of those fucking gargoyles
>campaign before this we played the bandit one
>we wiped on that one too

I got so fucking frustrated holy shit.
>>
So currently, there's only one class that focuses on having their primary stat score being INT: the Wizard. Most others will use either WIS (Cleric, Druid), CHA (Sorcerer, Bard, Warlock), or a mix/combination of STR, DEX, and CON for the martial classes.

I would guess/assume that if/when they make an Artificer class it'll use INT for it's primary stat, but what other things do you want to see use INT for their damage?
>>
>>48592923
Four players can easily take down a Scarecrow. It's designed to be a Level 1 boss encounter.

One or two people might get hurt badly depending on how the rolls go, but nobody should die if they play smart. It's not that hard. It also gives them a good taste for resistances.
>>
>>48594571
The Mystic is Int-based.
>>
>>48594571
Psionics use Int
>>
>>48594625
>>48594634
A class that's in a UA that only goes to level 10. Close, but not a full 1-20 build, and one that's still subject to change.

I agree in that once Mystic shows up it'll add to the pool, but until it's in a book, I don't consider it to be "playable," even if it seems to be balanced on the surface.
>>
>>48594667
Well you asked what other classes we wanted to see use Int as their main stat. But I don't think there is a need for any new classes after the Mystic, because you could make most things via subclasses.
>>
anyone can share some polatmail game tracks?
>>
>>48594667

speaking of this, I wonder when we are getting full Mystic.

I hope it's before late 2017.
>>
>>48590318
If you had a Deva in 4e, that's basically what a 5e Aasimar will be, right? Will they still be blue?
>>
>>48594788
Personally I'm hoping we see Mystic in the next book that affects players in some way, shape, or form.

Best case scenario? Late February or early march 2017 we get a setting book for Dark Sun or Eberron that also has new archetypes for those settings.
>>
I know this is /5eg/, but anyone has a complete collection of 3.5e pdfs? Tried to look around on /tg/, but only found the core books
>>
>>48594809
Uh... probably not? Aasimars and Devas are really two very different things - Devas are tied into 4e's angels, which aren't the same thing as 5e's angels, whilst Aasimars are from 2e and were basically the Obligatory Good Guy Counterpart to tieflings, who back then were the bastard grandchildren of Lower Planar Beings and mortals.
>>
>>48594846

Hoping for eberron personally.
>>
>>48590335
Would they get Skewer?

>>48593734
I would love official Krynn minotaur, but that might eventually lead to Kinder.
>>
>>48594907
https://mega.nz/#F!VkgGlSzK!11kU_hPmZpCqYBx8uRaHhA
>>
>>48595061
Yeah, unfortunately, whenever I consider a "Ansalon (Krynn) Adventurer's Guide", I can't get past the idea that the most likely crunch from it would be Minotaurs, Draconians, maybe a Solamnic Knight Fighter or Paladin path, Three Moons Wizard Traditions, and Kender.
>>
Why ever be a cleric or a wizard when you could be a Theurge and be both
>>
>>48595121

Thanks kind anon!
>>
>>48595217
They are really bad designed have have little to no thought put into them and even ignore some design philosophies WotC said they have, for example healing cantrips, which you can get via Spell Mastery as Theurge.

This is how I would fix them:
>Don't let them take Cleric spells other than the Domain spells
>Give them a new level 14 skill, so you would still have a reason to get a high level Cleric
>Make it so that the Domain spells can't be taken for Spell Mastery

This way they would still be strong, but at least they wouldn't outshine every Cleric Domain except for Tempest and War I guess.
>>
>>48595217

Clerics have a stronger martial focus than Theurges and Theurges don't get some pretty sick Wizard abilities like Portent, the abjuration Ward, Overchannel/Sculpt Spells, all of the illusion school pretty much...

I think they're strong but they lose a lot too so it's actually a choice. I like that a lot.
>>
Which kind of skills would advanced alliens have? I'll do a crossover medieval/scifi with aliens that want something of a medieval world.
>>
>>48595351
The things other wizard schools get can't compare to what Theurges get though. Fuck the abjuration ward, if you could have access to the whole Cleric spelllist, ALL of the good Cleric features and healing pretty much as a cantrip, in addition to utility on short rests which is one of the few weaknesses of the wizard.

The martial focus only really matters in the really early levels or for Tempest, Death, Life and War Domains. Life domain would probably still be better for a Theurge and some Domains like Trickery and Knowledge would never be picked on Clerics again as the Wizard makes way better use of them.
>>
>>48593333
hail adorable quads.

Also, gonna try asking for input again before taking a leap of faith to copy some of the mystics things.

Shadowcaster. Edgelord Maximus. The short and skinny is that I'm trying to figure out an elegant way to convey the 3.5 class' ability to spam low level spells a lot more than higher level spells, and being able to do so with such ease that the spells themselves eventually dont require verbal or somatic components. The best way ive figured out so far is by using the spell point variant rule with an exponentially increasing cost for higher level spells. double the cost to hide its casting, triple the cost to cast as a bonus action.

On that note, a few people have suggested i simply port over most of the class features as a mystic discipline and use the mystic as a base class instead. While that idea has some merit, Im worried about the balance problems the mystic has and don't want that to overshadow this.

Speaking of, what are the balance problems with the mystic? These are the pitfalls i want to avoid moving forward with this class. Thoughts on the class itself? Any and all feedback is appreciated.
>>
so is moon druid broken at lower levels?
>>
>>48595491
Strong, yes. Broken, not really. People throw "broken" around for it to have much meaning, anyway.
>>
>>48595470

>and healing pretty much as a cantrip

oh boy. i can't wait to spend a turn healing myself like 11 damage instead of killing the enemy while locking myself out of having a good spell mastery like shield or something

it's only really useful out of combat and even then you don't always have 5 minutes to spend full healing your party by spamming cure wounds/healing word. it's honestly not as op as people think it is. and it's at level 18 too jesus. this is the point where i can literally fuck reality with my magic cock and you're complaining that i can spend 10 minutes after a fight to full heal my party. big fuckin deal.

trickery domain theurge is probably worse than illusion wizard anyways. why would i want the ability to turn invisible when i can already do that with my spell slots, as well as making my illusions real, having a generally better illusions. if trickery sucks for clerics it sure as shit sucks for wizards.

wizards don't NEED utility on short rests because they already get spell slots back on a short rest anyways and their utility comes from ritual spells. theurge is good but it's not the most unbalanced subclass ever or something. the only thing it does wrong is step too much on cleric's toes.
>>
>>48595491

if i were to play a level 3 campaign moon druid is probably what i would pick for a class. that or bearbarian.

they're have nice power bumps but after those bumps they stay at pretty much the same level.
>>
>>48595491
It's very powerful but I would not call it broken. It is limited in use by tight spaces and the animal forms can die quickly if you are fighting mobs of enemies.
>>
>>48595491
honestly i think YES but i don't think its a problem per se because those levels go by fast and they arent broken in such a way that they outshine everyone else in the party imo.
>>
>>48595567
You are clearly underplaying how good Theurges are. Sure healing in combat isn't the most efficient thing, it never was even for a Cleric.

But at level 18 your party is at full HP after every fight, it really doesn't take that long casting Cure Wounds a few times, which you could even do while traveling. If you took the Life Domain your heals would actually be really good too because you get their level 17 skill and always heal for the full amount.

Cleric is supposed to be THE support class together with Bard, and now the Wizard can do the same shit ontop of what they can usually do. The strenght of wizards never was in their schools but their spelllist and in the amount of spells they can have.
>>
>>48595670

Like I said, the ONE problem is that it means they step on the toes of clerics pretty hard, particularly life domain clerics. But all the healing "calculations" i've been throwing in for spell mastery assume you're getting max rolls every time too and it's still not that great.

having a party at full HP at level 18 after every fight honestly isn't that big of a deal. You just have to design your encounters knowing it's going to happen, but it's not game breaking during encounters and it just allows a high level party lots of longevity. you can even stop it by making them have to do shit, not sit around and spam healing word or w/e on themselves.

also note: a theurge who loses his spell book full of cleric spells is probably FUCKED.
>>
>>48595012
They'll probably do both. According to wotc they scored about equally in a popularity poll.
>>
File: 132376652014.jpg (81KB, 398x326px) Image search: [Google]
132376652014.jpg
81KB, 398x326px
>>48595730
While that last point is true, when's the last time you recall your party wizard losing their spellbook permanently? It's a damn cruel move as a GM, unless you've already given some sort of warning which they ignored and failed to prepare spares for. Especially when the main class feature draw to this tradition is dependent on that book.
>>
>>48595730
The thing is that the one problem you're describing is a really big problem. Tell me why would I ever play a Knowledge Cleric again?

What is better, medium armor and 1d8 hit die compared to the whole wizard spelllist, Spell Mastery and getting spells back on short rests?

What's next, a fighter sublass who gets Rage with all of it's boons, unarmored defense and better crits? How about a Rogue subclass who gets every feature of the Hunter?
>>
File: Dwarf Rigger.jpg (133KB, 438x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Rigger.jpg
133KB, 438x1128px
Okay, haven't played D&D since the TSR days but some friends want to try out the new 5th Edition. How can I play a "Rigger" style character? For those not familiar with Shadowrun it's essentially a drone piloting mechanic and/or transportation specialist. Knowing what I know of D&D, I'm guessing the answer is some kind of Wizard or Cleric with a lot of summoning spells?
>>
>>48595817

it's a pretty easy way for someone (probably THAT DM) to really screw a theurge over.

at the very least if you're sick of them spamming healing word and cure wounds all the time at level 18 you can have them lose their spell book and have to use a replacement one for a little bit. that could even be an interesting plot hook if you gave the a way to get back their old spells eventually.
>>
File: Theurge Revised.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Theurge Revised.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Reposting what I did last thread, attempted Theurge balancing.
Still unsure if the restriction on borrowed spells for Spell Mastery should be used, after reading arguments since last posting.
Also unsure of a good level 14 ability that doesn't just jack a Cleric's abilities. Perhaps it should include the ability to learn cleric spells out of domain once you have all of those. This would bump the level requirement for that from 10 to 14.
However, I stand by the idea of restricting Channel Arcana to one use per rest (Paladins deal with it too) and pushing back Channel Arcana and the domain feature grabs to the next level slot.
>>
>>48595866
the closest thing to a rigger is going to be a ranger with his pokemon (many people consider this the worse class archtype, but there are homebrews that balance it out good)
some sort of summon class, ranger, wizard, and druid can all do this
or an undead focused character, which wizard and cleric can do
>>
>>48596314

Honestly I want to see a Wizard archtype that focuses on having a bunch of different familiars that they summon and send back to pocket dimensions to fight for them.

I guess it could be a druid/ranger archtype too.
>>
File: Charmander Wizard.jpg (28KB, 800x620px) Image search: [Google]
Charmander Wizard.jpg
28KB, 800x620px
>>48596356
I'm sure some people would play that.
>>
>>48596356
If I had an eye for balance I'd jump right on making this.

I really wanna play it.
>>
>>48596356
Unlikely to ever get that officially from wizard, given they have the conjuration school already (which I don't think is very fun).

I'll be working on a planetouched sorcerer archytype that gains access to summoning spells and summoning augmentation for those spells depending on which plane their bloodline has ties to.
>>
Somebody mentioned a Scarecrow earlier.

Do you think a Scarecrow with two Shadows would be too difficult for a Level 1 party?
>>
>>48595861
>How about a Rogue subclass who gets every feature of the Hunter?
That's a pretty good idea actually, if you've killed off rangers as a whole. Though without Hunter's Mark it would probably not be that great, and uncanny dodge is useless of course.
>>
>>48597074
It depends on how well they can take advantage of the monsters weakness or if the monsters have the upper hand.

If they attack the monsters in broad daylight with torches and stuff? Odds are the adventurers will have a shot. It will be a difficult fight for sure, but its doable.

If the scarecrow gets to take advantage of being indistinguishable from a normal scarecrow (giving surprise to it) and the shadows are using there shadowstealth just past midnight... It smells like a TPK. Even more so if the party doesn't have any ways to do fire or radiant damage.
>>
>>48597143
Okay, thank you.

How about one Shadow as a separate fight beforehand, then the Scarecrow comes out a bit after?
>>
>>48597157
Maybe have the scarecrow by itself first, then if the players are having an easy time with it introduce the shadow mid-battle as the scarecrow's "trump card" to give him a boost?
>>
>>48597226
That sounds good, thanks. I was going to have the Scarecrow be a source of Shadows spawning, and that works well with the theme because he can use it as his trump card.
>>
>>48596356
>>48597020
Take current Beastmaster archetype.
>"Every 3 levels after 3rd, you gain one more Animal Companion. You can only have one Animal Companion active at a time. You can use a Standard Action to swap your active Animal Companion with any other Animal Companion which you have bonded with".
Everything else stays the same.

Now instead of beefing up your single companion, you can swap them out like a Druid swaps Wildshapes. Also gives you some versatility with different animals.
>>
File: I don't like it.jpg (118KB, 811x739px) Image search: [Google]
I don't like it.jpg
118KB, 811x739px
>>48597332
>Standard Action
>>
>>48597350
don't use the word Standard then
>>
>>48592506
Are you serious?
>>
>>48593333
My short-lived eldritch knight had a baby owl griffon as his familiar

do we know each other?
>>
>>48592506
>this nigga
>>
File: 1452803797519.jpg (348KB, 800x518px) Image search: [Google]
1452803797519.jpg
348KB, 800x518px
>>48597020
>>48596356

I suppose it is familiars edition.

Maybe make a subclass about extending the duration of summoning spells? Between Elementals (Conjure Elementals) and Demons (Old Black Magic UA) you get a fair variety of summons. Maybe include Animate Objects, Animate/Create Undead, and eventually Gate spells too to round out the cast.

An outline could be:
2nd level - Truenamer: You can spend one hour of research to learn the true name of a creature with the outsider type. When you know the true name of a creature your spells that impose a wisdom or charisma save have their spell save DCs increased by 2.
6th level - Summoned Servant: When you summon or create one or more creatures with a spell you may select one such creature as your servant. You may maintain concentration to keep it summoned and loyal to you even after the spell's duration expires. You may command that creature as a bonus action on each of your turns.
10th level - Master of Many: As an action you may dismiss a creature you have selected as your servant to a pocket dimension. It no longer requires your concentration to maintain until you call it again, as another standard action. If you have designated another creature as your servant you may swap them instead of releasing one.
14th level - Say My Name and I Am There: You now have your own Truename, which you may reveal to others. Whenever someone speaks your name somewhere, you are aware of it and may immediately teleport to that location along with your servant.
>>
>>48594667
>even if it seems to be balanced on the surface.

I played one. They're op

order of the awakened get on-the-fly proficiency with fucking anything, can learn about shit physically, and a number of other crazy things.

order of the immortal, what I was, could add 1d10 psychic damage on any hit for 1 psi point, to a maximum of 5d10 at level 5

by level 5 you have like 30~ psi points. Also you get to have a "passive focus", which could be like +1 AC or make any weapon you're holding be a +1 magic weapon, totally for free. Bonus action to switch passive effects

really fantastic class but it was broken
>>
Are there any more of those DM Guild classes or whatever they are called?
>>
>>48597974
It's a website if you've only looked at the OP trove, some is paid but most is free/pay what you want.
>>
>>48597860
Weren't Psionics broken in 3rd, too? It's not anything new.
>>
>>48598084
How did I miss that? Thanks a lot man!
>>
>>48589956
>What's the best use and characterization of a familiar you've seen?
Not super amazing but my favorite familiar I've made personally was my Pirate/Open-Hand Monk's parrot. I was a variant human with the magic initiate feat to take find familiar.

So I was a pirate with a magical pet parrot, it was great fun.
>>
What invocation other than agonizing blast do I want for my 2 level dip into warlock? Should I get the disguise self spell, eldritch spear, or something else?
>>
>>48598330
just pick something useful for your campaign. if it were me with my campaign i'd pick read anything or free detect magic probably, but it depends on your dm.
if you're just in it for blasting you cant go wrong with repelling blast either.
>>
File: skills with other scores.png (453KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
skills with other scores.png
453KB, 409x409px
The implications of this are astounding.

What would a Persuasion with a Strength check look like?
>>
>>48598417
Show off your 24 inch pythons to convince people to listen to you.
>>
File: homunculus.jpg (220KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
homunculus.jpg
220KB, 800x582px
How do you create a homunculus?
What do the specifics of the ritual involve?
>>
>>48598417

You're addressing a group that values physical strength as a sign of wise living and blessing from the gods and views physically imposing individuals as worthy of extra influence.
>>
>>48598512

If your a PC, you're not allowed to. Otherwise, cum in a chicken egg.
>>
>>48598512
>magic ritual
>stick ur dick in a bat
>???
>profit
>>
>>48598536
>If your a PC, you're not allowed to.

For what raisin?
>>
>>48598417
I played with a barbarian who convinced the DM to let him make intimidation checks with str

made sense, I suppose, though the player was probably doing it so he could dumb CHA and still try to "I'LL KILL YOU RAWR" out of every situation

something about the whole barbarian archetype is so fucking boring and dull to me
>>
>>48598549

There are no spells or class features for it, just play a dwarf fighter you mary sue powergamer.
>>
>>48598573
whats your problem friendo

do you really dislike homunculus's (homunculi?) for some reason?
>>
>>48598573
Its a construct made with clay, ash, blood, and mandrake root, something PCs can get a hold of.

Its of the same CR of a familiar, and has the same use, so its no overpower, only difference is you dont need the find familiar spell for it, but the trade off is that if it dies its dead for good, no simple re summon.

the only question is the specifics of the ritual made to create it, which is on the DM to decide.
>>
>>48598563
Barbarians are always the same exact character, you cant do anything interesting with them.
>>
>>48598591

You can have a bird or a gremlin, that's good enough already. Why do you NEED a homunculus? If you tried this shit in one of my games I would shut you down and probably kick you out too.
>>
>>48598512
>How do you create a homunculus?
ask your dm
>>
>>48598621
I already did, I was just hoping I could get some others perspective on it.

I am interested in what thoughts are bubbling inside your head.
>>
>>48598617
Its a way for someone to have a familiar without having to know the spell find familiar, in return they pay with GP to have one

why are you so against non-standard character building?

Are you one of those DMs who dont allow anything unless is written word for word in the book?
>>
>>48598617
not that guy, but there is nothing wrong with fluffing or flavoring a wizard/warlock familiar to be a homonculus just copying over the stat block of a bird or imp
>>
>>48598617
>If you tried this shit in one of my games I would shut you down and probably kick you out

well you don't have to worry about that, I avoid games with sperg GMs
>>
>>48598563
>>48598616
I love barbarians. The key to playing them is to make them old grandpas who don't take no shit from young'n's.

If you're worried about people using STR to Intimidate too much, make a rule that it's done at a disadvantage or something. Sometimes, you just need to preserve game balance. Grease is normally flammable, but the spell Grease isn't flammable because that would be overpowered.
>>
>>48598657
>>48598658
>>48598677
>responding to shitty obvious bait
>>
>>48594127
Because not everyone minmaxes. Some groups could use a Theurge fine because he's not going to take the best Domain and instead play the character that will let him and other players have the most fun. My group will not be able to use it however because half are uber Minmmax and the other half is normies and I know the Minmax wont care he's overshadowing the Cleric.
>>
>>48598617
>kick you out too
That just makes you a prick. Why not calmly explain to him what you think and why you think that way, then see how he reacts? You know, like a normal person would do.

If he freaks out and makes a big deal about it, then that's on him at that point.
>>
>>48598658
why do that when a homunculus already has its own statblock in the MM?
>>
>>48598103
Just because they've always done something shitty isn't an excuse to keep it shit.
>>
>>48598681
that anon is just exhibiting prime characteristics of RAWtism, his mind cannot handle anything not RAW
>>
>>48598693
because the MM has variant rules for any "mage" to have a familiar stronger than chain warlock familiars
>>
>>48598715
no dude, he baited you and 4 others. the sooner you learn that and stop responding to obvious bait the better.
>>
File: 1409301238809.jpg (5KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1409301238809.jpg
5KB, 200x200px
>>48598657
>>48598658
>>48598677
>>48598688
>falling for bait this hard
Why are TRPG players so absolutely trash at not recognizing when someone is being satirical?
Is it because you play with people who are *actually* that pathetic, such that you can't even distinguish sincerity from bait anymore?
>>
>>48594127
From what I can see, yeah.

Just from a damage perspective, a level 10 tempest domain wizard can do 120 damage (60 save) with 2 level 5 lightning bolts.

A sorcerer of the same level can do 10d8 + 4d10 (Avg 74) with 2 level 5 chromatic orbs, and 2 quickened firebolts.

An assassin rogue with surprise and advantage will do about 10d6 + 1d6 + 5d6 + 1d6 +10, for an average of 86 damage in a turn. It'll drop off massively, most likely, the next turn.

If everything crits the rogue pulls ahead... unless the wizard can line up 2 or more enemies.

The maximize spell damage is also a level 14 evocation wizard thing, but they can only do it once per long rest or take 2d12 damage.

And that's just damage. Add in heals or what have you, and I see no advantage to being a cleric over a wizard after the first few levels.
You lack the heavy armour and hit dice, but have all the wizard escapes like Misty Step anyway.
>>
>>48595488
bumpin for feedback
>>
>>48598730
>>48598771
Why are people obsessed with baiting? it's something that i've never understood.

Did you think I was getting all flustered because someone was bitching about a fictional creature? I was taking a shit and had nothing better to do than scan /5eg/. I will forget about our interaction entirely in maybe ten minutes
>>
Rogue in full-plate, yes or no?
I'd have to put in 13 STR, maybe go for 14 if I want the +2 to STR, and need to invest in DEX if I want to rogue effectively, but then if I'm going with full plate it won't give me any AC bonus and would more likely end up lower on the initiative chain. There's some other stuff but I'm kind of sleepy right now and haven't thought all of it out.
>>
File: moohamad.png (794KB, 2000x1024px) Image search: [Google]
moohamad.png
794KB, 2000x1024px
>>48598790
>why are people obsessed with baiting
Because people like you exist who make it easy breezy beautiful covergirl.
>>
>>48598799
full plate (and splint) is 15 str, chain is 13
generally, id say no. unless you really want to be a full str rogue, you're going to have to put so much in strength to still stay dex, that its not worth the cost
>>
>>48598799
Hell fucking no. HELL
NO
HELL
NO NO.
>>
>>48598799
why would you want this
>>
>>48598799

Full-plate gives disadvantage on stealth checks, unless you somehow have a suit made of mythril or something.

It would be cool if there was a 'dark knight' archetype that got rid of this penalty though.
>>
>>48598799
Full plate gives 18 AC without having to invest DEX, which with light armor you need max dex to just get 17 AC. But since you already want to max dex, it gives DA on Stealth, and you would need to multiclass just to get it, it isn't worth it.
>>
>>48598616
Only if you're uncreative.
>>
Has anyone told Crawford that he is a huge retard on Twitter yet? That Theurge UA Jesus
>>
The thing that makes Strength/Heavy Armor rogues usable is the fact that sneak attack doesn't literally require sneaking. Find some other way to gain advantage such as shield master to use up the hand that isn't holding a rapier, or have an ally at the frontline, OR be a swashbuckler, and you're golden.
>>
>>48598850
It doesn't take a whole lot to bring it in line.
If you only allow the three domains that are explicitly listed it's perfectly fine - illusionist and divination wizards would still be actually better.
>>
>>48598865
still needs to use a finesse weapon though.
>>
>>48598865
but if you just make a fighter you will do more damage and be more tanky. why make a rogue if you arent going to sneak around.
>>
>>48598417
Like this:

https://youtu.be/VnMGCUH-lLY?t=37s
>>
>>48598812
Oh, that's right.
>>48598823
Just thinking about it, and I'm not particularly good at putting all the stuff together so I thought I'd ask.
>>48598828
>>48598841
>>48598865
What I mostly want from the Rogue class is the Sneak Attack bonus, and I'm not sure if that'd work out well in the long run.
>>
Dragonborn Homebrew! Now less fucked than the last time I brought it up here.

Looking for feedback of any sort.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B002m2_KROanR1hCYUl4LXQzdWs
>>
>>48598883
Yeah, but you can still use Strength on a Finesse weapon.
>>
>>48598921
i think (or at least presume) he meant the fact that finesse weapons arnt 2h, and generally have smaller dice
2d6 is going to end up bigger than 1d8, but that obviously matters less when you only get 1 attack
>>
>you will never be in a 5e game
>>
>Want to be a potent Theurge
>Just drop 2 levels in Cleric early on and the rest in Wizard
I mean, that lowered progression is worth the features, right? Especially since you can still retain some of the powerful school features.
>>
>>48598972
Get some friends together, check gamefinder threads, look for a Roll20 game to join. There's a billion options and 5e is really easy to find games for, anon.
>>
>>48598914
This is a lot better, I'm not incredibly familiar with the uses of burrow speed outside of it being nice on animal companions but I doubt 15 ft. there is OP. The wording isn't like in the PHB which you might want to fix, things like "proficiency in Stealth" instead of "proficiency in Dexterity (Stealth)", "Advantage against being poisoned" instead of "advantage on saving throws against being poisoned" etc. The only one I'd really want to fix is:
>as well as the Feather Fall spell, though for the latter you only target yourself.
I think there's an official race with limited flight that just says you can glide, so I don't think you need this roundabout wording.
>>
I always wondered if Rangers should get a sneak attack bonus to animals specifically to reflect their hunter/gatherer skills.
>>
>>48598958
CORRECT.

I mean, i can sort of see why someone would want to go STR rogue, but youre losing an awful lot, skillwise. that being said, tavern brawler or shield mastery to allow you to shove with your shield as a bonus action to always have that guaranteed sneak attack seems like it can be awesome. Not sure if its worth the cost of losing the dex bonus to relevant skills though. Having disadvantage to stealth unless you have mithril is also kind of lame.
>>
>>48599029
Thank you for the wording information. I'll get about fixing that soon-ish. Which race can glide? I mean, the Aaracrocka fucked that name up didn't I? can fly, and that's the only one I can think of.
>>
>>48598914
i personally think that with the effort to make the dragons breath unique, you've made them not breaths, nor really dragons
fires is fine mostly , but neither of the "water" dragons have breaths that slow, they have normal damage, or paralysis. and neither of them are water based, they live in ice/clouds
"storms" have normal lightning lines, or repulsion in the case of bronze, rather than eldritch blast light
"earths" armor damage is entirely RP based, since things dont really take damage, but its instantly countered by mend, so its arguably useless against pc's, though i guess its fun FOR them to use (if broken, since 1 ac is potentially alot)
"black" dragons, is just wrong though. the poison dragons are green, black (and copper) are acid, thus earth. also it being a bite

that being said i REALLY REALLY like the idea of separating the "races" of dragonborn with color. I just wish it was more like actual dragons rather than its own made up thing.
i think if you want to customize their breaths a bit, you might do well to look at the secondary breaths most metallics have, and lump them together by color that way. IE: giving all "fire" dragonborn (red, gold, brass) fire damage, and either str reduction (gold) or sleep (brass)

in the "make it fit" example, the vestigial wings would fit very very much with a silver, and arguably a white. rather than bronze/blue storm ones

dont just take this as "fuck you its wrong" though, its just my opinion, and like i said, i like the uniqueness.
>>
>>48599039
alot of homebrews (to an extent) give them something similar to that in the form of "skirmish" dice, and apply that to all combat

that being said, i dont like it, id rather they had a third attack or something, to reflect their speed, rather than their theoretical ambush potential
>>
>>48599133
Oh I didnt mean specifically to battle. Just ambushing animals.
>>
>>48599060
I thought it was the winged tiefling or something but I'm probably just thinking of a homebrew race. I'd still change it to something a bit more natural, instead of just being able to mimic spells, like:
>Vestigial Wings. You possess a pair of wings, though they do not allow you to fly. However, you can use them to create wind like with the /Gust/ cantrip, or to glide as if affected by a /Feather Fall/ spell.
You can also add a restriction that they need to be able to fold out their wings (wingspan 2x body height I think is standard for flight-capable wings, can be a bit less here) though since Aarakocra and winged tiefling don't mention it I'd just leave that to GMs to keep track of and judge.

For breath weapons I agree with the other anon, my dragonborn already are a bit different so I only aimed to steal the other stuff from this so I didn't comment on it but they could be better.
>>
>>48599115
>I just wish it was more like actual dragons rather than its own made up thing
That's a lot of good points. I understand the color schema is way off for traditional d&d, but I was trying to change things up and break away from the sacred cow of color coordination. I really tried to shift the focus from what color the dragonborn was to more what element were they. 5E didn't mark a difference really between chromatic and metallic, so I figured focusing more on their elements would be a good path to take.

>secondary breath effects
I feel like that would sort of empower the metallic dragonborn at the chromatic's expense. Seems a little unfair. And it looks to bump the number of subraces up considerably.

>wings
Honestly I just paired it with the "Storm" dragonborn because lightning and such felt like an "Air" thing.

>>48599176
Don't mind if I steal that wording for the wings ability, do you?
>>
>>48599197
>I really tried to shift the focus from what color the dragonborn was to more what element were they
This actually makes a lot of sense with the description of them saying almost all modern dragonborn are a mix and don't have a distinct color, this making it more just what kind of dragon they are most like. And yeah, steal that wording if you like it.
>>
>>48599197
well i didn't mean separate every color to its own race, i was totally fine with the way they were split
but i feel like you should separate it into their elements and go from there, give every kind of dragon a rider maybe
Fire (fire) red, gold, brass [fire damage + str disadvantage or sleep]
Earth (acid) black, copper [acid damage + slow]
Water (cold) silver, white [cold damage + para]
Air (lightning) blue bronze [lightning + knockback]
Poison (poison) green [poison]
the [damage+secondary] dont need to literally be that, but thats just what the metallics have in addition to their normal. the way i figure it is that even if you're a blue dragonborn, you could have some form of knockback as the rider. Part of the problem also is that dragons have specific lairs based on their types. white live in ice (frozen peaks and tundras, that shit) and silver lives in the clouds. i feel like if one of the dragonborn are going to have a glide/slowfall, it should be the ones that live at high altitudes
>>
>>48598799

Generally, no. There are rogue builds that focus on STR and dump DEX but they're very specialized and don't work with most team compositions. Obviously a rogue with 16 STR and 8 DEX is going to rush full plate ASAP and completely ignore stealth, but that's not going to be a typical build and unless you're specifically working one of those niche builds for a good reason you're going to significantly under-perform a traditional DEX rogue.
>>
Would the theurge be more balanced if it used Wisdom for its Cleric Abilities and Cleric Spells?
>>
File: asdgfd.jpg (80KB, 736x995px) Image search: [Google]
asdgfd.jpg
80KB, 736x995px
Gonna be playing my first D&D game on Saturday with a mate. The setting is in the underdark and we want to play a ranger and a wizard. We want to have our characters to know each other and here's the very barebones backstory of the ranger that I've come up with so far

>Came from a family of hunters
>Got by through hunting animals and selling their fur and meats in town
>Local lord / king / person in charge decides agriculture is the way to go and wants to clear the forest for pastures and crops and offer's ranger's family money to become farmers
>Family ok with it
>Ranger not, too proud to resign himself to being a farmer
>Tells family he's joining the army when in actuality he's using his survival skills in sketchy trades
>Smuggling, bounty hunting, guide

We were thinking that the ranger has guided the wizard through the underdark a couple times to recover artefacts and samples for the wizard's research so they have a previous relation with each other.

Any suggestions on the relation between the ranger and wizard or just the rangers story?
Any general D&D tips would be appreciated too, stuff like what to do and what not to do.
>>
>>48599752
I feel the same way about stepping on the cleric. The whole point of it is to be a Wizard with Cleric abilities so if you take it to a table with another Cleric he will be pissed but it makes a viable Wizard/Cleric with a more caster focus.
>>
>>48599747
Props for having still having living parents.

As for tips what you have seems solid but I'd recommend how your character feels about the underdark and the wizard; that sort of thing can breath life into a back story.

How do you feel about the underdark? Is like a home away from home? Do you despise it but keep coming back for the loot? What would make you stay forever? Or conversely what would it take for you to never go down there again?

As for the wizard, are you two bros? Do you put up with him for the money? Do the two of you get along/banter a lot or is it more of a business relationship?

On a mechanical level, I assume it goes without saying that you're gonna take the underdark as a favored terrain? What archetype are you gonna go with? Unless you really want to I would stay away from Beastmaster (it's pretty weak). Hunter is a solid baseline. For some extra fun you may want to talk to your DM about how they feel about allowing UA material and use the Deepstalkler archetype:
https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/02_UA_Underdark_Characters.pdf
>>
File: dhsdhdsgh.jpg (128KB, 620x408px) Image search: [Google]
dhsdhdsgh.jpg
128KB, 620x408px
>>48599806
Yeah I kinda felt that dead parents would have been an overplayed thing. I thought that the parents would add another level of interest to my character, like every once in a while he sends a letter back to them telling that he's doing fine and still alive whilst trying to keep up the facade that he's a scout in the army.

I guess the ranger wouldn't especially enjoy being in the underdark but would keep going back for the loot.
Also, would it be within reason to say that my ranger has been there enough times to have mapped out the routes he's used most often and uses said routes for smuggling thing and sometimes people? Or does the underdark not really work like that?

Relationwise we've agreed upon them starting out as business partners but since the wizard is a recurring customer they end up as close mates. Bantz are a given, can't have a functioning friendship without it.

As for the archetype, I was thinking either hunter or deepstalker. BM didn't really interest me. What archetype would you recommend? I was leaning towards hunter as that was what the ranger's prior occupation was and it seems like it would make more sense fluffwise. But then again, so does deepstalker. The DM has already told us that all the official books for character creation so I guess we have a fair amount of freedom.
>>
6 minutes before the session and a player says he can't do it after all. What a great time summer is to play, huh.
>>
>>48599891
New guy online? Wouldn't surprise me if it was the faggot who keeps posting about how he loves to do that to people,
>>
>>48599882
Deepstalkers are very good in the underdark and Hunters aren't to bad. Beastmaster sucks though. From a FUN angle Deepstalkers gain better darkvision and cool spells that make you feel one step ahead of other creatures while Hunters can use big AoEs at will and attack a lot per round.
>>
I always liked the idea of adventurers being relatively normal people.
Like a Fighter who was a middle aged farmer who was failing and losing money, His wife was dead and he has kids to feed. He was taught how to use a spear in the town Militia So he set off trying to find bodyguard work or sign up to a mercenary group or perhaps bounty hunting.
The original inspiration was the film Unforgiven but with the character being a bit less sinister then Clint Eastwood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftTX4FoBWlE
>>
>>48599901
We've been playing for 2 years, no one has even cancelled a session less than 3 days beforehand I think. But living with parents means suddenly there are guests planned or something, they were visiting relatives and he just didn't know before they were leaving I guess. We normally live together so it's really simple to have control of /communicate everyone's schedules. And it couldn't be that guy, he delays before cancelling anyway.

Just frustrated, I suggested 5th-7th as ideal times but people were busy from 4th-8th so since i didn't want to wait a week I said I could do it today even if it would mean 1 night of prep.
>>
>>48599882
Well ask your DM if UAs are allowed, as they aren't exactly fully balanced, and more just proofs of concept.
Almost like homebrews by WOTC before they hit a hardback.
If he doesn't, then you're stuck with Hunter wether you like it or not.
And if you're starting at level 1, see how the first two levels treat you before you pick.
>>
>>48599928
I love to play an Arcane Trickster who is just a wanna be adventurer trying to be an ultimate treasure hunter. Normally young, self taught basic magic from books and wears a Wizard hat.
>>
>>48599940
I know the feeling. My group's been disbanded because I'm 19 but they are all in their last year of school. We don't talk much anymore and they are all real "I have to get the highest mark possible, go to UNI and make mum proud" so no time to play MtG or D&D with the drop out. The towns to small to find another group but I should be moving by the end of the year so I'm going to try and hunt down a group.
>>
>>48599924
I've read in a previous D&D thread that BM's aren't all that great, plus the idea of em never really interested me.

I think I'll go Deepstalker since it's an underdark campaign and the underdark is a big part of it and change my character's backstory to feature it more so it fits with the fluff.

>>48599942
Yeah UA's are allowed. He linked us to the underdark specific archetype pdf. Sorry, I thought that counted as official. Haven't asked the DM what our starting level is though, I'll be sure to message him about that.

Also, would it be possible to give me a quick rundown on the underdark and how it affects the players as a setting? In order to justify my ranger being a deepstalker I wanted him to be somewhat accustomed to the underdark. Like, using it in order to smuggle goods and people without being on any main roads as well as guiding people through it on treasure and artifact hunts. Does this fit in with the fluff?

Cheers for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.
>>
>>48599995
Ever play Skyrim?
The Underdark is like that super deep underground place you need to take the dwemer elevators to get to.

It's a dank, nasty underground collection of caverns and tunnels with huge caves and such that gets nastier the farther down you go, up to and including finding mind Flayers and aboleths and occasionally demons.
>>
File: jdyjtyj.jpg (60KB, 600x435px) Image search: [Google]
jdyjtyj.jpg
60KB, 600x435px
>>48600022
Ok that makes it pretty easy to picture actually.
Might rewrite the backstory a bit so my ranger explored the more surface levels of the underdark growing up as there was a cave which lead to it in the forest near his home. His hobby was to explore the caves draw maps and pictures of the sites of natural beauty. In this time, he also learnt that there was danger which came along with it. So no he holds it with a high degree of respect.

Cool thanks man, I think this character is coming together pretty well.
>>
>>48599995
>I've read in a previous D&D thread that BM's aren't all that great
I thought you meant battlemaster and my heart skipped a beat
>>
>>48598417

Roll for seduction
>>
>>48590318

>Orc, Goblin, Firbolg: Revealed in the product summary for Volo's Guide

I can't wait to see what stats/abilities these new races have.

Orcs gotta have STR. I'm curious what Goblins get
>>
thinking of multiclassing a bard

I got decent inteligence, and not bad dexterity, so I'm going to be a hell of a weird singing warlock
>>
>>48600147
>I'm curious what Goblins get

Probably going to be yet another variation on gnome
>>
>>48600147
Firbolg seems hard to balance to me. Large Size is a big deal in this edition and Goliath's are Medium and about 9 ft whereas Firblogs are over 10ft. Unless they call them medium and give them large size for grapple, better carry, +2 STR and +2 Something. They might even get +3 STR and one or two other abilities but that seems OP at low levels.

>>48600176
+2 DEX, +1 INT and some stealth abilities maybe? Or they might get a subrace with +1 CON.
>>
>>48600235

In other words:

Just like gnomes.
>>
>>48600263
But is there really any option for small fast races that are sometimes cunning? Off the top of my head I can't think of a small race that doesn't have a DEX or INT bonus actually but it's a shame they haven't made any new races or setting ideas for 5th Edition because a race of STR Halflings or something would be cool.
>>
What is Unearthed Arcana?
>>
Does any one have Tome of Beasts?
>>
>>48600300

You do have a race of STR halflings

They're called Dwarves

The only thing you don't have in races is one with a decent wisdom boost
>>
>>48600300
Nah, most races, especially monsters, are defined by physical differences so it's almost always +2 dex or str, rarely con. Then +1 con for generic or +1 mental stat for the slightly different way of thinking from humans. If it wasn't for unique and interesting features I'd put new races in the same box as new classes, the "Achieved with refluff" one.
>>
File: CK8U8doXAAAGpYk.jpg (71KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
CK8U8doXAAAGpYk.jpg
71KB, 600x400px
Hey /5eg/

Gonna run a game for some friends soon that don't really have the ability to meet regularly so I need some one-shots and/or ideas for one-shots

Pic semi-related
>>
I like the idea the UA presented of borrowing other classes features, but it feels like more of a Bard thing to do. What do you think of this?

College of Mimicry
The college of mimicry specialises in the study of the behaviour of people, in how they engage in their livelihoods. Through weaving of bardic magic into performance, the mimic is able to emulate the abilities of others.

Apprentice Mimicry
At 3rd level, you gain proficiency in Performance, if you don't already have it. In addition, choose a class feature of 2nd level or lower that you don't have. You gain that feature. If that feature refers to class level or a class table, use half your bard level rounded up as reference

Specialised Mimicry
At 6th level, choose a archetype feature of the class you chose that is 5th level or lower and you don't have. You gain that feature. If that feature refers to class level or a class table, use half your bard level rounded up as reference.

Adaptive Mimicry
At 14th level, at the end of a long rest you can choose a different class and archetype feature for your Apprentice and Specialised Mimicry. They still have to be of the same class.
>>
>>48600696
The first will enable you to take domain spells won't it? You should probably make the half your level thing apply to spells too.
>>
>>48600645
To be honest, Wisdom as a racial score is pretty rare. I can't think of any playable race that should be particularly wise.

Can you ?
>>
>>48600740
The domain table refers to cleric level, so you would get them at 3rd, 5th, 9th, and 17th level.
>>
>>48600742
Mental stats are so abstract it doesn't really matter. Practically, it means being observant, rational, attentive etc. so any race that belongs in the wild and relies on survival skills to gather food, stay out of trouble with predators, etc. could have a +2 wisdom and I'd be fine with it. They do inform how players treat them and think of them but NPCs do so even more - orc NPCs will not have +1CON/+2STR but otherwise have the stats of an average human, they will almost all have lower CHA and INT, so their PC ASI fluff-side doesn't matter much once the players know how orcs are in-game.
>>
File: 1374796030634.png (117KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1374796030634.png
117KB, 444x440px
>>48600696
Holy shit wild shaping bards

I'm actually surprised because apart from spell shenanigans (and i don't think you can do stronger than the Lore bards in this regard), I can't seem to find anything absolutely broken with this. All archetype features are at lease 6th level though so that's kind of a tease.
Might be because 5e is good, might be because you're a god.

It reminds me that I've heard of a GM that just allows his players to pick any class feature of the same level or lower when they level up.
I might steal the idea or restrict it to Ability Score Improvement (like feats)
>>
>>48599928
>>48599948
I've always had an idea for a wild magic sorcerer that *wanted* to be a wizard. Everything about him was wizardly, studious, spellbook, etc. He just, isn't quite as smart as he could be, and doesn't quite get magic, and sometimes things go wrong. Lovable as fuck, and you feel for the guy because he really tries.
>>
>>48600782
Oh yes I agree with you on this.

> so any race that belongs in the wild and relies on survival skills to gather food, stay out of trouble with predators
Which ones are that? You kinda have to take into account that the race shouldn't have any other primary ability bonus being its main "fluff". That's why a Half-Orc with +2 wisdom will strike you as weird, even if it's mechanically the same.

So you need a race that not only has everything you said, but also is particularly defined by this and nothing else (or nothing else as strongly as it is wise).

I find it tough.
>>
>>48600782

>Animal Handling
>Survival
>Perception

Most wisdom skills are entirely plausible for Jungle Creatures
>>
>>48600872
Honestly, Half-Orcs (and Orcs) getting bonus Wis would make those races probably way more appealing to me, while still making sense fluff-wise. Like Strength-based Wood Elves.
>>
>>48600912

You have strength based Wood Elves

They're called Humans
>>
>>48600872
The fluff of Forest Gnomes and Wood Elves make sense for it, but as subraces they are confined to what fits the race as a whole. Aarakocra and honestly most furry races fit though. And as the other anon says, even half-orcs can be justified to have high wis in most settings, justification might not be as good as instant recognition and intuitivity, but these are mental stats for races we are talking about here - it will never be intuitive.
>>
>>48600785
I said 5th or lower because I didn't want people nabbing Extra Attack, as that's Valor's major draw.
>>
>>48600552
Would love this as well.
>>48600470
New freebies from WOTC; class options, races, feats, spells, etc. etc. Only difference between these and things like SCAG, are these are entirely untested.
>>
>>48600696
The Pact Magic or Eldritch Invocation features might be overpowered.
>>
>>48593063
Fencing in that sense is a catch-all term for *all* armed martial arts. Safely and effectively killing people is the goal of all of those martial arts.
>>
>>48600688
Check the adventures folder in the DM's guild megatrove
>>
>>48600688
In the past 3 days on this board there have been some really good one shot ideas

> Mimic-house anon
> Bhaal villagers vs. Kuo Toa
> Changelings hunting down changelings

And then there's my go to favorite of 3.5: Somethings Cooking.
>>
Looking for some feedback on this homebrew: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1GZx15L

It seems loaded, but I really like the flavor. Maybe removing a feature or two would balance it better?
>>
Hey /tg/ I'm joining a campaign tonight at level 6, and I was thinking of playing an Abjuration wizard (anti-casting is what I'm going for), but Wizards are such "journeymen/build-as-you-collect" type of characters have no idea what a plausible spell list / armoury is it good to have to begin with

Anyone's got tips?
>>
>>48601262
>http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1GZx15L

Holy shit you're a fucking demon. I opened the link and thought I misclicked somewhere because I had JUST opened that link via reddit. Before I tabbed back to this window, I was going to ask about an eidolonist or summoner class and if anyone's found a good balanced one.

Anyways, you david blaine motherfucker.

Here's some more I wanted to compare it to:

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkF2ABpx

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rJOLlx_g
>>
Just had an idea for some cultists that have explosive rune type magic tattooed on them somehow.

The idea is that when adventurers loot their bodies or pilfer their pockets they go boom.

How do I play this out mechanically in game?
>>
>>48601383
Use Glyph of Warding as the basis for it. As two alterations, I would say that the rune can move from the original casting location (which Glyph of Warding can't), but is inert while it's on a living body. And the trigger would be a simple "if a creature interacts with the body" or something.
>>
>>48601383
Would be cool to have them suicide charge into the adventurers once in awhile as well.
>>
>>48601540
Looking at Glyph of Warding, it says you can store a spell that targets a creature or an area.

What if the spell requires concentration? I immediately thought of a hallway with a powerful vent or fan at the end, blowing at the adventurers causing difficult terrain. There's a switch about 75% of the way through clearly visible. If the flip the switch, Glyph of Warding goes off and casts Gaseous Cloud on the victim. Hilarity ensues.
>>
>>48601721
Welp, looking at 3rd level spells, looks like I'm making a Wind Temple for my players to hate soon...
>>
>>48601383
Some monsters in the MM have the Death Burst feature (Magmins, Mephits, Gas Spore)

Death Burst. When the magmin dies, it explodes in a burst of fire and magma. Each creature within 10 feet of it must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw, taking 7 (2d6) fire damage on a failed save, or halfas much damage on a successful one. Flammable objects that aren't being worn or carried in that area are ignited.
>>
>>48601262
Alright. First thing is first, big rookie mistake.

>spellcasting
This is NOT the spellcasting feature.
The spellcasting feature gives you a set spell slot gain curve, which increases every so and so levels (3 for archetype spellcasters, 2 for half-casters, 1 for full-casters)

If you want to have a class with an unusual number of spellslots for whatever reason, do NOT call it spellcasting. Yes, I am being overly pedantic, but it ruins how multiclassing works.

I think it'd be nice if it had its own spell list rather than taking from others.

The multi-attack thing seems like it kind of forces summoners to find creatures with high single-damage attacks. It's just.. Awkward.

Honestly, it does look like whoever made it does know what they're doing. It's just really hard to balance it, because I'd have to look all the way through the monster manual, and you've no idea what sort of creatures they'll end up bonded with.

Oh, another thing.
>a demon may require you to be his summons in the next life
That sounds much more like a devil than a demon, really.

That last reaper ability is weird. It forces you to sacrifice a bunch of things outside of combat and it's not very usable in combat given your limited number of summons.

So, yes, I can't really much for its balance and more for oddities, but it doesn't look wildly out of balance, perhaps.
It's interesting, at least.
>>
File: IMG_3180.jpg (752KB, 1024x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3180.jpg
752KB, 1024x738px
What would be the best name for this fella?
Dire Salamander?
Swamp Dragon?
Something else?
The concept was an amphibious CR6 (though relatively docile) sort of mount for swamp folk with a breath weapon that did bludgeoning damage through pressurized water akin to a Plesioth
>>
>>48602095
Really Dire Newt
>>
>>48602095
Dingle Doop
>>
>>48602095
Swamp Dragon

At least according to Alex Konstad.

For the context of D&D though, maybe a Giant Swamp Drake, or Swamp Basilisk.
>>
>>48602127
I actually like the name giant swamp drake, especially with how properly lazy it's supposed to be. Like how some adventurers see this bigass amphibian just sitting down and they panic like fuck and call it some sorta Dragon-like thing when it's got the general morals and personality of a cow with a beam attack.

I also like >>48602125 because it's just goofy, like something a KuaToa would call it.
>>
>>48598785
Why not work it out within the warlock? For spells you want castabale at will just make some invocations.
>>
>>48591175
>>48592092

>Path of the Raider
Just a heads up, shoving prone is pretty powerful. May need to tweak at least the 14th level a bit. Similar to a "Reaver" path I'm working on.

> College of Dance
Love it. I would change the Intricate Footwork ability to YOU gaining the benefit, instead of granting the benefit. It doesn't make sense.

Flourish makes me hard.

14th makes a lot more sense with the aforementioned change.

> Clarity Domain
Ehhh, not feeling this one. Don't know why

Actually, I think it's just my attention span fading. I'll try to read through the rest later.
>>
File: 1378568385541.gif (945KB, 250x236px) Image search: [Google]
1378568385541.gif
945KB, 250x236px
What's a good Feat to sew up an odd Wisdom?
>>
>>48602699
Observant and Resilient are the only ones, I think.
>>
File: 1410972802921.jpg (89KB, 500x505px) Image search: [Google]
1410972802921.jpg
89KB, 500x505px
>>48602723
I know Resilient is a good choice at any point for that Saving Throw, but what about Observer.
Are those passive bonuses worth it?
>>
>>48602777
It is, my Passive Perception is now at 20 at lvl 7 and my DM can not wipe our party because I spot every single trap. It's also good for finding shit, depending on what your DM is like. My guy walks up to interesting objects and my DM just immediately points out "With your passive you spot a secret cubby." "You find a hidden door." and so on. Also the passive investigation is nice if you are trying to find glyphs of warding.
>>
>>48590251
As a player, I prefer settings that are very detailed. However, there's a very important thing to remember, and it comes in the form of a nice quote: "The setting drives the characters that drives the plot."

Therefore, all your NPCs are setting, all the monsters are setting, all the cities are setting. They each have their own resources, likes, dislikes, and personality.

This allows you to have "plot", but its a plot that the characters build as you go along.
>>
>>48600119
>typical fighter
>>
So i asked for advice on an Ancient Paladin a few days ago I am going to be playing hopefully soon. I thought a bit more on his back story and the history of where he comes from and wanted some feedback to see if it would work.

Liverdy is a small independent city run by counsel who hold their positions for life or until they lose favor and are eventually kicked from office. They gained this independence and new form of governing centuries ago when 5 Knights with the help of the people and a Hamadryad overthrew him.
Anyways the idea is that this city of Elves, Humans and some Wood Gnomes are completely dependent on the forest right besides it and the Hamadryads blessings. The deal is that the citizens must respect nature and protect it and in return she grants them wonderous harvests and abundant game.
I just wanted to know if a Hamadryad would do this? Would they allow people to cut down tress so long as the replanted new ones? Would they allow help people hunt so long as it was not for sport and that the animals corpse was used as much as possible without wasting? Would she even allow them to mine so long as it didn't harm her forest?
>>
File: 1395173090257.jpg (41KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
1395173090257.jpg
41KB, 600x422px
>>48603160
Sounds great, will consider it, thanks!
Wish there were more feats in the game though, the number is just so low.
>>
>>48603400
1 paladin for smite
0-9 of warlock for regenerating spell slots on short rest (with 5 being the "correct" amount, 9 being the max)
1 level of sorc for SP moving
literally anything else from there. though most likely more of a full caster
>>
>>48603472
Sorcs don't get SP until level 2
>>
>>48603472
Thanks, however I am not really looking for any advice on how to build him. I am just gonna build him around for being pure tank.

What I am looking for though is details on Hamadryads on how willing they are to work with people.

>>48603464
NP, but again, talk with your DM on details on how he is gonna work with Observant. Just keep in mind you will probably never be surprised if people are trying to ambush you. I don't care how a DM explains it but it is always Stealth vs Passive perception, UNLESS one of the party is actively perceiving an area.
>>
Alright, newbie here. Manual says you add ability modifier + proficiency bonus to attack rolls with weapons you're proficient with.
eg: a fighter with a +3 str mod and +2 proficiency gets a +5 on their attack roll, right?

But the manual or starter pack booklet or both say when rolling damage "you add the same ability modifier" to the damage roll or something like that. So do I add a +5 to the longsword's damage or is the "ability modifier" just the str mod of +3 and the proficiency bonus isn't added?
>>
>>48603595
Both your ability score modifier and proficiency bonus are used for the attack roll ("to-hit") for weapon attacks. Only the ability score modifier is added to damage on a successful hit.
>>
>>48603595
It's tricky for beginners but understandable. Proficiency bonus is only added to things you are proficient in, expect armor/shields. You are correct that you add a +5 to an attack ( +3STR mod with +2 Proficiency bonus.) However, this bonus IS NOT added to damage, it is just your ability modifier.

If you are proficient in a skill? +2bonus
If you are proficient in a tool? +2bonus
If you are proficient in a saving throw? +2bonus
If you are proficient in a type of armor? You can cast spells while wearing it and have no disadvantage on attack rolls, ability checks, saving thows and so on and so on.
>>
New Thread
>>48603859
>>48603859
>>48603859
>>
>>48603400
Yes and Yes. Human activity isn't actually bad for a forest.
Say woodsman make a clearing. Now you have place where deers and other animals can eat grass easily. Hunting game will become abundant meaning hunters and predators will have more to eat and more life will grow in the forest. Also with the old trees cut down now younger ones have place to grow.
Its all about balance. All the dryad have to look out for is protecting her own tree, trees that can become ents and sacred groves.
Now as a Oath of Ancient Paladin your job is not to protect the balance but the happiness and beauty. Your job is to not protect the forest but the genuine beauty and niceness around you so keep that in mind.
>>
>>48589956
>...best use of familiar..
To those who like to scout ahead and assess the risk v. reward of different areas of a dungeon:

>Identify is a touch spell.

To those who want to join the rogue on the surprise sound:

>Seeing through your familiars eyes lets you misty step through walls.

To those with generous DM's:

>Misty step isn't the only spell that lets you target a spot you see.

>You're fireballs are now homing missiles.

>You're welcome.
>>
>>48603619
>>48603683
Neat. Thanks guys. Turns out I've been doing an extra 2 damage for the first 3 levels of my first campaign. Oh well.
>>
>>48603619
Jesus christ. My last dm told me only certain weapons get +mod to dmg. I got it with a longsword but not with a greatsword. I told him i didnt thibk it was right but he insited so i dropped it. Thank god that fuck left my college. He was also the Thatest That GM ever, but thts unrelated.
>>
>>48599039
I just straight up made rangers a rogue archetype.
>>
>>48602314
because i dont want the class to be casting its spells at its highest level, nor do i want them to have such a massively reduced casting ability.

granting many level 1st-3rd level spells at will would also be pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>48603464
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqjj29teiyjil2n/Feats.docx?dl=0

You might find something you like in here.
>>
About the dark gifts in Curse of Strahd:

Some of them allow you to cast spells. Does it say anywhere what the spell save DC is supposed to be for those spells?
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.