[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 33

File: 1459848088327.jpg (225KB, 745x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1459848088327.jpg
225KB, 745x1018px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJqFbfRB

Previous Thread: >>46878775

>What is the pastebin lacking?
>>
Is there any real detriment to just choosing a permanent spell list as a cleric and sticking too it? I like the options, but I don't want to have to memorize or even generally know the entire cleric list + domain spells.
>>
>>46899151
Kind of. You could easily forget that, if the situation demanded it, you could swap your spells out if necessary.

I also tend to just quickly glance through the spell list at the beginning of every day to see if there's anything there that I would really want. For example, as a Druid, we were in an area that was heavily infested with creatures proven to be weak to radiant damage, so when morning came, I prepared Moonbeam.
>>
File: jGVwCE6[1].png (106KB, 950x810px) Image search: [Google]
jGVwCE6[1].png
106KB, 950x810px
>>46899151
I normally just use a sheet that gives me space for all the spells for a druid, cleric or paladin. You might be fine with the same spells all the time, but I find myself switching one or two sometimes
>>
>>46899151

Make a list of favorites that you will always prepare, and leave one or two for the situation at hand. In my experience you learn the spells as you play more and more
>>
So I've heard folks say warlocks are kind of bad.

Are they kind of bad in a "Not able to keep up that well" kind of way, or kind of bad in a "You're going to be eldrich blasting an awful lot so you better get used to it" kind of way?

Or are they not actually that bad?
>>
>>46899282
It's 5e. You'll be fine unless your DM is trying to kill you.
>>
>>46899282

They're fine, you may need to take a short rest more often than not, but otherwise they're fine.

That said, Eldritch Blast is the best cantrip in the game so you will be using it quite a lot
>>
>>46899151
I'm preparing to play a cleric, and I search like an autist looking for ways to optimize my play, as strategy is 1/3 of the fun for me. I usually favor wizards. I wouldn't worry about other domains though. Plus, having a solid "core" set up is important.
>>
>>46899282
/tg/ tends not to like warlocks because warlocks are pretty simple to play. You just spam Eldritch Blast, with a Hex first if it's an important fight. /tg/ won't play anything that doesn't have the maximum amount of moving parts, rules-wise. If it's not as complicated as a wizard or cleric, they want nothing to do with it, regardless of whether it can hold its own in a fight.
>>
>>46899335
>>46899151
Your main job as a cleric is to keep everyone else in the party conscious when their turns come around, so the one spell you should always keep in your arsenal is Healing Word, for when people drop to zero HP and will sit out the rest of the encounter unless you at least throw a bonus action their way. The other spells aren't as important.

You always have your domain spells prepared whether you want them or not, so you may as well learn what they do.
>>
>>46899424
My party also contains a paladin, so I think we're going to be set. Not that it's helped much recently. That said, I do want to be able to play the healer when we can. I'll probably train in medicine ASAP.
>>
>>46899335

Bless, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, and Inflict Wounds make a pretty good core if you insist on min-maxing your spells.

The fun really comes from your domain and how you play it though. If all you really care about are the spells you're getting Cleric get's boring really fast.
>>
>>46899444
You don't really need to train in Medicine if you have Spare the Dying.

The paladin can heal, but for him it's always an action, so he will be very reluctant to do it, whereas you can heal and do something else useful in the same turn. You can also heal from range. For real, Healing Word, you'll be glad you prepared it.
>>
>>46899444
If you're going Life Cleric, Healing Word is surprisingly fuckin' beefy.
>>
>>46899066
>That Thai Cuisine book tucked away alongside the satanic stuff
Gives me a smile every time.
>>
>>46899334
>That said, Eldritch Blast is the best cantrip in the game so you will be using it quite a lot

>was thinking of not taking EB for my warlock dip
Would I be screwing myself over by not taking it?
Monk 17/Warlock 3
My reasoning is that I'd rather just use hex and punches. If I cast a spell that takes up an action, then I can't take the attack action.

Also question to DMs. How annoyed would you be of a monk casting darkness on himself and being a roving cloud of darkness taking full advantage of the devils sight invocation?
Am I being an asshole? I know its a pretty unoriginal concept for shadow monks.

But it basically just causes whoever that's inside it to be blinded, correct? (assuming they can't see in magical darkness)
>>
>>46899555
Are you a Monk of the Sun Soul? If you are, you've already got ranged damage covered. If not, you might want to reconsider taking EBlast just so you have some form of ranged damage.
>>
>>46899574
>shadow monk
And I will carry a short bow.
>>
>>46899424
>>46899455
Favors wizards anon here, playing a spy background death cleric wielding a whip. Variant human for medium armor master, that way can have high AC while still sneakin around. Mainly Dex, Wis and Con. Goal role in the party is to be able to follow the party anywhere and keep them alive, while staying alive myself, and debuffing/throwing undead meatshields into the grinder. Couple things I've eyed so far is Vampiric touch/spirit guardians with the dodge action, as well as Sanctuary+Spiritual Weapon+dodge action. Bless was something I was eyeballing, but had disregarded healing word (which after reading your post was obviously retarded of me, feel silly now). Guiding Bolt looks solid as well. Inflict wounds I plan to have for thematic purposes.
>>
>>46899555
>How annoyed would you be of a monk casting darkness on himself and being a roving cloud of darkness taking full advantage of the devils sight invocation?
Not very. Keep in mind, it's on Concentration, so if you get hit, you have to roll to try and keep it up, and it can be countered with magical light.

>>46899605
Yeah, sorry. EBlast would be 100x better than that shortbow, but it's not necessary.
>>
>>46899510
Tempest

>>46899488
Good to know, thanks
>>
>>46899555

Firstly, no, you'll be fine without Eldritch Blast, you 'll do more damage just by punching the shit out of everything.

Secondly, that doesn't work. Darkness doesn't follow you around, you cast it on a point and it goes around that point and just stays there. It's a good way to blind a group of people, but if they move out of it, you can't move it without recasting the spell.

To be honest, I don't really see what you'll be getting from three Warlock levels aside from flavor stuff. I doubt that a few level two spells is going to be better being able to become invisible every fight using the ki points you get back from Perfect Self
>>
>>46899555
They are "effectively blinded." They don't suffer from the blinded condition, but they can't see anything obscured by the darkness.
>>
File: Untitled.png (24KB, 322x318px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
24KB, 322x318px
>>46899663
>Darkness doesn't follow you around

Um, Anon...

(I play a drow, so it's important for me to know these things).
>>
>>46899620
>Not very. Keep in mind, it's on Concentration, so if you get hit, you have to roll to try and keep it up, and it can be countered with magical light.
That was my thinking. And what I was planning to tell my DM if he got annoyed by me using it.

>Yeah, sorry. EBlast would be 100x better than that shortbow, but it's not necessary.
What are some clever uses for EB? Part of the reason I prefer the shortbow is for RP purposes and I can think of clever things to do with arrows. Plus, if I happen to catch a special arrow shot at me with deflect missiles my DM will let me put it in my quiver.
Keeping in mind my invocations won't be freed up to soup up my EB. I can see the 120 range being useful - although I might take sharpshooter to not impose dis-adv on long range shots with shortbow.
I just see the 2 attacks with the shortbow as they benefit from my dex to be more consistent damage overall. Not to mention I can attack once with shortbow, run up and punch something.
It's mostly the cast a spell action that EB requires that makes me feel it isn't better.
>>
>>46899606

Both Vampiric Touch and Spirit Guardians are concentration spells, you can't have both at the same time. Bless is stupid good, there's no dice rolls involved on your part, so you will always get the full benefit of the spell
>>
>>46899733
It mostly depends on invocations, so you're right: if you're not going far enough in Warlock to buff it up, there's not much point. Agonizing Blast + Repelling Blast is brutal.
>>
>>46899732

oh, sure. somehow missed that, sorry
>>
You don't need a spell book to cast memorized spells and cantrips, right?
>>
>>46899812
Cantrips no.

Memorized spells I don't think so. But you lose those memorized spells at the end of a long rest, I believe.
>>
>>46899766
Oh my bad, I meant an ether/or type of thing.
>>
>>46899672
Right, that was my intention. I imagine DM will start throwing strong enemies at me later than can dispell my darkness or just see through it (maybe even better because my party members won't be able to).

>>46899663
>Secondly, that doesn't work. Darkness doesn't follow you around, you cast it on a point and it goes around that point and just stays there. It's a good way to blind a group of people, but if they move out of it, you can't move it without recasting the spell.
Other anon pointed this out already, but yeah, it does work.

>>46899663
>To be honest, I don't really see what you'll be getting from three Warlock levels aside from flavor stuff.
It is mostly for flavor. However 2 invocations, 3 cantrips, a familiar, hex, and a couple other spells is nothing to sneeze at.
And unless there has been an update, Perfect Self doesn't always give you back ki points, only when you're at zero. (Although as a DM I would houserule this, it's pretty stupid).
Empty body doesn't interest me too much when as a shadow monk I can go invisible in dim light or darkness. Although, I do admit that certainly limits the usage of the invisibility. But I'm okay with that.
>>
>>46899812
>>46899850
Read niggas. You need your spellbook only to change your prepared spells. That's all.
>>
Barbarian?
Splash into Bladelock?
>>
>>46899868

In that case...
>>
Has anyone played CoS long enough to find their Strahd's Enemy? How do they work with the party?
>>
>>46899893
Try 4e.
>>
Does anyone know a good homebrew that helps the Chain Warlock Familiar scale a bit as levels progress?
Alternatively what do you think I could give my Chainlock player later on?
>>
What is the fluff reason for a Blackguard / Death Knight / Otherwise Evil Paladin to exist, in a system where good and evil are not universal absolutes?

Note: I understand DnD may be such a system.
>>
>>46900780
>I understand DnD may be such a system.
It is such a system.

That being said, you can remove the "evil" requirement from the Oathbreaker, and the path simply becomes a Paladin who intentionally broke the tenants of his Oath and sought no redemption for his actions.
>>
>>46900780
> Evil in a world where evil isn't absolute.
Uh.
>>
>>46900737
What kind of familiar does the person use?
If you came up with some magic item to give to their familiar that would buff them up or give them a special ability to increase their survivability.

But honestly familiars are mostly utility. However if your player likes to use them in combat, it likely doesn't do so much damage. They aren't really intended to. What form does their familiar take? I think it really depends on that.
If you just want to increase their familiars survivability you could let their familiar's AC increase by half your proficiency bonus rounded up. I don't think that would be terribly broken. They often aren't targeted anyway - or at least they probably shouldnt be because they're such a small threat - and if they are, it doesn't take much for them to die because of their low HP. So I think making them slightly harder to hit if they are targeted would increase their chance to stay around.

Alternatively, if the familiar is a flying familiar, perhaps you could homebrew something that gives them the flyby ability.
As a chain warlock myself, I usually just keep my sprite far enough in the air shooting little tiny poison arrows.
>>
>>46899151
As DM I just let my party Cleric cast whatever spell off the Cleric list he wants to. Same with the party Wizard. Having the party wait for a long rest to reset a spell list isn't my idea of fun D&D. They're both played by ten-year-olds; there's not a big risk of abuse
>>
>>46900967
Correction: the Wizard can cast from anything in her spellbook. Her character doesn't know all the spells on the Wizard list.
>>
>>46900780
Actually, I have a character idea for a Oathbreaker paly who was part of a Devotion order. Order goes to deathtrap and gets deathed, turns out noble who sent them just didn't want them around. Order leader knew, but believed it was the duty of the Order, and that they would pull through due to their god, who noshowed. Character, who was raised with his brothers in the order, quietly mercs the noble in his sleep, and casts aside his faith in that god. Disgusted with ideals like self sacrifice and duty to help others he falls hard, becoming selfish, bitter and cruel, mocking those ideals. Nevertheless still has a kind streak, and will go around healing folk and sharing food, as long as it doesn't require to much effort on his part, as well as trying to protect ANY allies he has to an almost fanatical degree. I'd play him looking like dirty looking mercenary who would suddenly bust out necro shenanigans.

Sorry for the blog, but trying to think up a Chaotic Evil blackguard who works well with a party has been a thought of mine for a while.
>>
>>46901077
>Nevertheless still has a kind streak, and will go around healing folk and sharing food, as long as it doesn't require to much effort on his part, as well as trying to protect ANY allies he has to an almost fanatical degree.

This part seems kind of weak to me. Why exactly does he have a kind streak if he mocks those ideals?
>>
Two Weapon Fighting seems to be really subpar unless combined with Hunter's Mark or some other on damage proc more damage spell. If the feat made it so a bonus action wasn't needed to attack with the offhand and lost the AC bonus would it be better?

The feat would then be:
-Using the attack action allows for both weapons to attack.
-You can use two weapon fighting even when the weapons do not have the light property.
-Can now draw two weapons when you normally could draw one.
-Can no longer attack with the off hand as a bonus action.

I feel like this could balance it out, maybe adding an 18 stat prerequisite so people have to choose between 18 in the stat or this.

Does this make sense? Or should it not be changed?
>>
>>46900737
Well, for one, you could let them share in that tasty magic resistance
Frankly, warlock familiars are already the best in the game, even better than BM beasts in most cases, but if you must buff them you could give the warlock an invocation that can be taken at level 12-ish that locks their familiar choice but also upgrades
Imp- bearded devil or spined devil
Quasit- hellhound or nightmare
Pseudodragon- dragon wyrmling
Sprite- green hag or fairy dragon?
>>
>>46901174
Nah, twf works well, especially in certain setups where it can go above and beyond good.
What you're suggesting would make it OP
>>
>>46901208
Actually on second thought this is broken as fuck

No scaling, fucking warlock minions are already CR1 anyway while the beastmaster has to do with CR1/4
>>
>>46901252
What kind of set ups? I've played in a few campaigns and people always seem to combine it with hunter's mark or something similar.
>>
>>46901252
Other than rogues and low level combat, when is two weapon fighting ever better than two handed weapons?
>>
>>46901288
Yeah I was about to say.
In my opinion they really don't need any buffs at all. But IF... IF the person really wants to buff the familiar, it needs to be really minimal.
>>
>>46901288
>fucking warlock minions are already CR1 anyway while the beastmaster has to do with CR1/4
Not to mention you can control them directly without needing to use a bonus action to do so. And if they die you don't have to search for a new one. You can just resummon it from wherever it poofed off to when it "died." Where as a beastmaster is fucked if they lose their companion in a place like a crypt or some shit.
>>
>>46901396
Beast masters really do get fuck all.
Warlocks can even take an hour and change their familiar if they want.
>>
>>46901341
There are buff spells available to the warlock

The familiar granting magic resistance is just a massive cherry on top

>>46901396
>>46901414
Pretty much. Considering the BM beastie gets extra stuff from the ranger's proficiency is good, but it's still not as great as the stuff many other classes get

Hence why I tend to give BM rangers a few extra perks, namely death saving throws and ASIs for the beast
>>
>>46901596
>ASIs for the beast
thats a good house rule
>>
Would a Path of the Shark Totem path like this be balanced?

Level 3: Can make an unarmed attack as a bonus action, making a bite at the enemy. (1+Str)

Level 6: Advantage on Wisdom(Survival) Checks to track an injured creature, smelling their blood.

Level 14: Blindsight up to 30 feet of creatures, gaining the electroreception sense of sharks.

I'm not sure between bonus action unarmed attack or bonus action while raging with d4+Str.

Also not sure about the range of the blindsight, could go a little further.
>>
>>46901703
I like it, though I would add some swimming speed buff somewhere
>>
>>46901782
Yeah, maybe in the level 3, and make it a 1+Str while raging.
>>
>>46901782
Add a requirement that the sharkbarian must move at some point during his turn to maintain a rage.
>>
>>46901160
Because we are all in this together anon
>>
>>46901872
Nah, the basically kills the effectiveness of the barbarian because then he can't get stuck in.
>>
>>46901872
That seems pretty difficult, that would be constant opportunity attacks when against more than one enemy.

Plus the other paths don't give any downsides so I wouldn't want to make this one that special. I don't want to make it such a risk to get, just an option instead of the Bear path.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (116KB, 960x810px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
116KB, 960x810px
Anyone have a screencap of the story of the abusive party member that turned out to be a cleric?
>>
>>46901174
>>46901252
>above and beyond good.
Besides rogues and rangers (where two weapon fighting in melee is practically required for them to fight well), which setups are you talking about?
>>
>>46901938
No but I love that fucking show.
Too damn good
>>
>>46901174
The only fear I have of this set up is the chance of a level 20 fighter with two swords of sharpness. 8 attacks, action surging to 16 attacks, and then the barbarian next to them gives advantage, so that's 32 attack rolls. Weapons that do extra stuff with crits would make them really powerful, not even counting if they are a champion fighter, which triples the chance of crits.

But then again they are level 20, all characters are meant to seem a little overpowered at that point.
>>
>>46902061
Speaking of level 20 characters

How long does a campaign continue to go for after characters have attained level 20?
I don't know many people who ever get to that point, much less what they do when they reach it.
You're all nearly demi-gods at that point. Especially casters.
>>
>>46902102
I rarely see a campaign past level 10. So zero. Zero sessions after level 20.
>>
>>46902102
There are Booms in the DMG, so when you "level up", you get these almost godly abilities. Plus at that point the party is probably hanging out with Demi-gods in the outer planes.
>>
>>46899882
You also need your spellbook to cast ritual spells.
Wizards can't even cast prepared spells as rituals.
>>
>>46902137
Exactly what I mean.
That's why I don't seem to care so much if something seems overpowered at level 20. Level 20 is so unlikely, and when it does happen, I fully expect the PCs to be fighting crazy fucking shit. Otherwise why would a level 20 character concern themselves with petty things. I mean, I guess they could. But it wouldn't be very interesting.
>>
hey fuckcocks, is there anything new announced in the last few months? im a janitor now so im going to delete this faggot thread but i wanted the update before i hit the button, and flush your faggoty hopes and dreams down the shit pipe, your moms are all fat fucking pigs, shout outs to a real nigga

eat a dick

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
>>
File: laughing huscarls.jpg (64KB, 538x482px) Image search: [Google]
laughing huscarls.jpg
64KB, 538x482px
>>46902202
Aw, what's the matter Virt, did your shitty girlfriend finally leave you?
>>
>>46902202
holy shit, I haven't seen virt in agggeess
thought he finally an hero
ey virt!
>>
>>46902202
>hey fuckcocks, is there anything new announced in the last few months? im a janitor now so im going to delete this faggot thread but i wanted the update before i hit the button, and flush your faggoty hopes and dreams down the shit pipe, your moms are all fat fucking pigs, shout outs to a real nigga
>eat a dick
>>
>>46899733
Keep in mind you can't use a shortbow with Martial Arts. You'll only be able to punch once after shooting once.
>>
im not virt, im vocarroo anon, and you mother fuckers are gonna get it this time.
>>
>>46902202
>Virt's back
Shit I thought you were dead you thundering faggot.
>>
>>46901923
Getting stuck in doesn't strike me as thematically appropriate for the animal in question.
>>
File: 1450302960308.jpg (271KB, 823x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1450302960308.jpg
271KB, 823x1100px
Right now I'm taking a group through PotA, but there's a good chance that one of the members won't be able to attend for a few weeks, which is a bit vital when there are only 3 players and no good way to drop him out of the story. So, I was considering running Death House for them. I've already warned them that it would be brutal and I've been reading up on setting horror atmospheres in games, but it seems like parts might be insurmountable for them. Where are some areas I could tone it down a bit?
I was thinking maybe have the broom/armor attempt to incapacitate instead of kill them then drag them to the basement. Also, if they disturb the Strahd statue, having 5 lamps in the room flicker on that cast the shadows, and allow them to banish the shadows by breaking their lamps.
Also, considering running Gritty Realism rests and Lingering Injuries, but to give them an edge, I'm taking a cue from something I read a while back about a mechanic similar to Death's Door from Darkest Dungeons. When they drop to 0, instead of falling unconscious they're Dazed, and make and take death saves at the start of their turns. Gives them a bit of a chance to fight back, chug a potion, whatever.
>>
>>46902305
Keep crying Virt.

>>46902327
Going into hibernation in the winter might be thematically appropriate for the bear totem, but you don't see anyone suggesting that. Disclaimer: that may have been an unfair comparison, but you get my point.
>>
>>46902327
Yeah but the same goes for an eagle.
>>
>>46902102
EPIC BOONS NIGGA

I plan my campaign to reach 20
>>
>>46902297
You can't shoot with the bow, run up and punch, then use the bonus action from your punch to deliver another? (or spend a ki point and do flurry of blows)
I understand you can't shoot twice and then gain the bonus action punch.

Do I misunderstand how the level 5 extra attack works?
And actually after reading FoB seems to only care if you take the attack action. So it only applies to martial arts.

>Beginning at 5th leveI, you can attack twice, instead of
once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn

and

>When you use the Attack action with an unarmed
strikc or a monk weapon on your turno you can make
one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
>>
>>46902428
I'd argue that using a non-monk weapon as part of the attack action makes it ineligible for the extra martial arts attack or flurry of blows. Otherwise you could attack with a greatsword, kick someone, and then attack twice more, which doesn't seem in line with the flavor of the class.
>>
>>46902428
The issue is that shortbows aren't monk weapons, and wielding something that is not a monk weapon disables the Martial Arts feature.
>>
>>46902152
>>46902423

That's great! And I know about the other rewards you can give out besides levels.
I'm just curious how long the campaign continues after that point?
>>
>>46902339
Those seem like excellent and considerate ideas. Do consider that if a few enemies will be difficult if not impossible for them, that the alternative solution has multiple checks or methods for detection.

Otherwise, your self-suggestions seem like a great idea to keep them in the game. The Death's Door concept seems like it helps with generating suspense, too. Once you're dazed, you start worrying more about death saves and taking additional damage. I'm just concerned about if you only run it for this one campaign that your players may want it for additional ones where it may not fit in. That could just be a non-concern, though.
>>
>>46902467
If you were proficient with a greatsword I don't see why not?
RAW I don't see a contradiction unless there is some rule about as per the attack action, whatever two attacks you make need to be the same weapon.
>>
>>46899151
For NPCs I already pretty much have a list of standard favorites.
>>
>>46902472
Ah, I see what you mean here.

>You gain the folIowing benefits while you are unarmed or wielding only monk weapons and you aren't wearing armor or wielding a shield:

So take the shot, as a free action drop your weapon then start pummeling?
Or alternatively get in your punches, then draw the bow and shoot?

I don't see that requirement for FoB, however. Am I missing it somewhere?
>>
i gained a benefit, its called "that feeling when you cum inside the op's wife"
>>
>>46902610
As for whether you could combine them, I think it'd be no RAW, but it doesn't seem terribly broken so your DM may allow it.

There is no such requirement for FoB, but then you don't have the Martial Arts buff to your unarmed strikes, so they deal 1+Str.
>>
>>46902646
You know Virt, shitposting won't ever make her love you again.
>>
>>46902610
>So take the shot, as a free action drop your weapon then start pummeling?
>Or alternatively get in your punches, then draw the bow and shoot?

I argue for this as at the point you make those attacks you are no longer wielding a non-monk weapon.
However, I doubt there will be many times as a shadow monk you will be so far away from an enemy you couldn't get within melee. And if there is any reason to stay outside of melee, you wouldn't just shoot twice with the bow.
>>
>>46902475
It probably can just keep going as long as you think of something for them to do. You have to take into account of now that one character could probably wipe out an entire kingdom, what to do with it. Lawful good players could probably make their way through the nine levels of hell maybe to kill the lord of demons. Some Evil characters could probably overthrow the largest kingdoms in the material planes. Or shit maybe the City of Brass at that point. Maybe even Sigil if they are that ambitious.
>>
>>46902610
>>46902550
You'd still be wielding a non-monk weapon when declaring the attack action, barring you from using any benefits from martial arts. Mind you, that would include using dexterity for unarmed attacks, which is a benefit of martial arts and not a general monk class feature.

Generally speaking, monks are just not supposed to use non-monk weapons. It's kind of lame, because zen archers are cool. But you could easily whip up an archetypes that makes shortbows count as monk weapons.

>>46902699
Also this. I have a shadow monk party member and she basically never has a problem with gap-closing.
>>
>rolls a dice
I roll to fuck your wife
>everyone at the table laughs
No really, I want to fuck your wife, she has some fat fucking tits and I'd love to shoot my tiny, sickly yellow load on them
>>
>>46902755
Virt pls.
>>
>>46902728
>>46902673
Fair points, and a good note about the 1+Str replacing the improved unarmed strike.

I guess it would be up to the DM to decide if they allow switching between the two attacks.
In my mind, it makes sense that if a person has time to load another arrow, they have enough time to drop the bow. Which might be a fair trade off, because now your weapon is on the ground.

Still as another has suggested, it's not even close to being a big issue if it isn't allowed by the DM. Just a little less things that can be done.

I suppose I was thinking of the bow being an alternative to throwing a punch, then tossing a dart as the second attack. Which, come to think of it, that is allowed, correct? I am starting to second guess myself.
>>
>>46902894
Page 190 about movement between attacks makes me think it would be perfectly feasible for a monk to make an attack with their shortbow, use their free action to put it away, run up and hit someone in the face gaining the martial arts ability as they are no longer "wielding" the shortbow. It doesn't seem to say anything about needing to be unarmed when you declare the attack action as >>46902728
suggests. It just says you get to attack twice when you take the attack action.

Now, I wouldn't allow someone to take out a shortbow, shoot, put it back up, then attack. As you already took your free action drawing the bow. Putting it back up would require an additional "interaction with object."

So it would look like this:
>Choose to attack with bow. Because 5th level you have two attacks.
>Attack - use bow
>Move
>While moving store bow using interact with object
>Attack with unarmed strike no longer wielding any non-monk weapons so use improved unarmed strike
>Bonus action - additional unarmed strike

As a DM this seems acceptable to me.
>>
>>46902870
Just ignore him.
>>
>>46902894
The difference between those two is that a bow requires both hands to use, while a dart is only one

Mechanically, a dart is a monk weapon too
>>
File: Lady_of_mild_irritation.jpg (53KB, 479x591px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_of_mild_irritation.jpg
53KB, 479x591px
>>46902707
>Sigil
fuckin mazed
>>
>>46903238
Right.
But if you stow the weapon what's the issue?
>>
>>46903238
No, monk weapons are shortswords and simple melee weapons that aren't two-handed or heavy. A dart is not a melee weapon.

>>46903169
I guess I'm mostly bothered from a flavor point of view. The wording on martial arts is just vague enough that your interpretation is possible, but it seems clear to me that's not how it's intended to work.

The wording is "when you use the attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn." To me, this means your attack action shouldn't use anything else. You can read it to mean that at least one attack should be with a monk weapon or unarmed strike, but it just doesn't make sense to me that this was the RAI.
>>
>tfw you're considering letting racial slots count for the sake of monk weapon
>mostly to have wood elf zen archers and dwarven defenders covered by monk
>>
>>46903444
For bows, I think a better solution is to have a bow-using archetype (similar to how Pathfinder handled it). Shit, I might make one right now.

Dwarven defenders are like the opposite of monks, though. Monks are about mobility.
>>
>>46903256
Then there wouldn't really be an issue, the way >>46903169 puts it makes sense

>>46903375
Good point

It's also worth noting that the wording is "when you use the attack action"
Not
"When you make a weapon attack"
>>
>>46903444
>Drow Monks with hand crossbows trained in the art of gunkata
>>
>>46903481
Yeah, I didn't quite think it through; although I like the idea of some sort of dwarven monk archetype (esp. since FR seems to have had a weird halfling monk archetype in 3.5 with the Hin Fist stuff), but it's mostly inspired by turning the dwarf in NWN2 into a Monk/DD and finding it fun.

A zen archer independent of race sounds actually good.
>>
>>46903530
>This game is now an all drow game
>>
>>46902396
I'd be happy with seeing the existing totems tweaked. If your bearbarian isn't sleepy as fuck during the winter snows, I think you're missing a roleplaying opportunity.

On a related note, throwing in a conditional disadvantage or two can be a great opportunity to sprinkle on an additional advantage or two without going too far off into totally-unbalanced land.

>>46902399
Sure they do. They grab their prey with their talons and stay in constant contact with them during a typical engagement. Even when attacking something big like a reindeer. A shark will bite, give a couple shakes, disengage, and circle back around.
>>
>>46903648
> Drowsy wintertime bearbarian.
> Rages
> immediately falls asleep till springtime
>>
>>46903254
I've always been rather partial to having Sigil be part of a character's backstory. The current adventure setting is the maze he was banished to when he somehow offended the Lady of Pain. A variation of the "it was really a dream all along" trope, I suppose.
>>
>>46903648
>bearbarian
>implying you pick the same totem animal each level
>>
>>46903678
>Disadvantage on Constitution save to avoid food coma after large meal, applies only in late autumn.
>>
>>46902202
>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
MODS=GODS
>>
>>46903700
It sounds like a reversal on the situation with that prime woman in PS:T who got stuck in Sigil for 30 years.
>>
File: this pleases the knight.jpg (82KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
this pleases the knight.jpg
82KB, 680x497px
>>46902202
>>
>>46903711
> implying you wouldn't go with sweet, sweet hairy beartimes every time
Git gud.
>>
>>46903648
Not to say no to an interesting idea but that's kind of getting away from what can be done. Something like that would be like the mobile feat, where attack and disengage are the same, but a feat as a level 3 trait seems kind of really really strong.

Honestly I just would like something that is competitive with the bear totem that boosts me not my teammates.
>>
>>46903648
>They grab their prey with their talons and stay in constant contact with them during a typical engagement.
So you think eagle totem barbarians should HAVE to grapple their foes and then drag them away from the fight? I mean, if that's what you like then go ahead and implement it at your table, but don't pretend that other people like the idea.
>>
File: 1409643606721.gif (1MB, 256x196px) Image search: [Google]
1409643606721.gif
1MB, 256x196px
>>46902202
Prediction: Virt posts this in his tumblr as "another /5eg/ trolled" or some such.
>>
>>46903880
Feats are more or less balanced with class features so it makes sense

All totems are more or less balanced IMO, but a bonus attack dealing 1d4+str piercing while raging would definitely be up there with resistance to everything
>>
Zen Archer

Zen Archery - at level 3, gain proficiency with all bows. Bows count as monk weapons and you can use wisdom for their attack and damage bonus.

Steady Shot - at level 6, you can spend 1 ki point to double the range of a bow you are wielding until the start of your next turn.

Improved Deflection - at level 11, you may use Deflect Missiles once per turn without using your reaction (RAI: once per each creature's turn). If the missile is an arrow, you can use the range of a bow you are wielding for the counterattack.

Perfect Shot - at level 17, you may spend 2 ki points to ignore cover and concealment with bow attacks until the start of your next turn.

Thoughts? Should I make a fancy PDF of this?
>>
>>46903980
Speaking of which I want a brawling barbarian already, would getting tavern brawler or athletics expertise (or both) work for a LV3?
>>
>>46904014
A fancy PDF would be nice, but it looks fairly okay. Steady shot seems crazy situational, but nice enough, and it allows serious long range trick shots.
>>
>>46904053
Level 6 monk tradition abilities tend to be utility abilities with some combat benefit. I figured this would make sense.
>>
>>46903980
I agree, that's what I want to keep it as. Maybe I will put the swim speed that matches your move speed in as the level 6 ability with the adv to finding and tracking injured prey, and keep the bite as d4 while raging.

Honestly looking at this build it is kind of a direct counter to darkness or invisibility. Like if the barb was fighting something in magical darkness and it already injured the opponent it would be able to find it pretty decently.
>>
>>46903880
Frankly I'd probably make a Shark totem super similar to the Eagle totem. Same 3rd level feature (disadvantage for opportunity attacks against the sharkbarian while raging, dash as a bonus action). Grant a scent feature at 6th. Grant a movement feature at 14th while raging (swim speed strikes me as weak for 14th level, so give the Eagle feature again in honor of Sharknado).

>>46903935
Sure. If an eagle doesn't grapple its foe it's in danger of suffocating, right? Everybody knows this.
>>
So why do people become liches, when clone is obviously the superior choice. Also, why does being a lich make you evil, and clone doesn't?

Also, why is necromancy the best wizarding school?
>>
>>46904044
I would make it its own path, instead of totem or frenzied. Give it the scaling unarmed attacks that monks get, add the tavern brawler feat at level 6. It just needs some more attention and that would be it.
>>
>>46904111
Yeah well if I wanted the eagle path I would take the eagle path. I just want something different.
>>
>>46904077
Yeah I noticed. It's a pretty good effort and it's probably one of the few homebrew things I'm throwing into my list of non-core shit players can take.
>>
>>46904014
Looks a bit underpowered to me to be honest
Though I like the concept, time to play green arrow

>>46904044
Or
3- Tavern brawler (athletics expertise while raging)

6- Ribbon skill (something like the battlemaster or mastermind size up the opponent thing) unarmed die is d6

10- reckless attack while raging can knock enemy prone, unarmed die is d8

14- throw grappled enemies for unarmed damage plus their con mod, unarmed die d10
>>
Quick, /5eg/!
Your party is about to get the shit kicked out of them, and you've got one turn to save the day with a new martial maneuver you just pulled out of your ass.

WHAT IS IT?
hardmode: it's balanced
>>
>>46904331
Attack action.
>>
>>46904331
Probably something like the grappler's pin move. Roll athletics against the enemies, add superiority dice, then you and the enemy are restrained.

If it was a caster then just disarm and use free action to kick their arcane focus away.
>>
>>46904331
Pocket sand!
Take the attack action and forgo one attack to make the enemy take a con save ot be blinded until the end of its next turn
>>
>>46903879
>not taking Observant and the second Eagle totem to read lips from a mile away.
>>
>>46904544
Ultimate spybearian.
>>
>>46904331
I use my family's secret technique: running away!
>>
File: meanwhile in ravenloft.jpg (309KB, 1200x869px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile in ravenloft.jpg
309KB, 1200x869px
>>
>>46904544
>Grondar, what do your eagle eyes see?

Farmer wife say: "why are you taking bags of rats to the market?"
Farmer say: "there are adventurers in town woman, I'm about to make a fortune"
Grondar not understand why this relevant

>fiendlock in the party cracks a smile
>>
>>46903375
I don't really see how it breaks flavor or RAI if you're able to draw or sheath a weapon and break up a multi attack between movements.
Think of it from the opposite side then.
You have no bow drawn.
You take your unarm attack as normal with no weapon drawn. At this moment you have declared your attack action. Then you use your free action to draw a non monk weapon. Surely now you don't get the martial arts feature, even though you had it before. Why do you suddenly lose it? Because you're armed. Just as expected.
Likewise, if you were to disarm yourself in the middle of your turn I see no reason why you can't gain the benefits.
>>
>tfw reworking the Seldarine while rebuilding other religions for another setting
>Corellon is now sun prince type of god
>Lolth, Angharradh, and Ehlonna expies are now seasonal goddesses vying for his love and representing both seasons and their respective elven ethnicity
>Erevan remains as literally Puck, also god of misfits and mixed elves (half elves, tallfellow halflings, etc). Also allowed as Archfey patron.
>The Seldarine is now wholly CN.
I'm thinking of throwing a forest gnome specific goddess in the mix.
>>
>>46904331
Throw shit. Range 20ft. Wis save 10, if they fail, they are totally grossed out and lose their reaction until next round.
You said it had to come from my ass.
>>
>>46904656
Kek
>>
>>46904803

I like you.
>>
>>46904803

Any room for Sehanine Moonbow?
>>
>>46904656
Does no one have parties that don't loudly broadcast that the players are adventurers?

My players usually keep obvious magic items hidden enough, actually avoid heavy armor or have a traveling spare, and if they can have some side excuse to travel will do it, even if just for the money. So they pretty much always double as messengers or minstrels.
>>
>>46901174
That would make it OP damage-wise, unless you don't add the modifier to the TWF attack. Then it's about as OP as GWF.
>>
>>46904948
>4-5 guys, at least one in robes, with swords strapped to 2-3 others
Commoners have 10 Int. They can figure that shit out.
>>
File: 1459124326586.jpg (52KB, 600x616px) Image search: [Google]
1459124326586.jpg
52KB, 600x616px
>>46904611
>>
>>46904931
Sehanine is probably going to be the wood elf goddess if only because I've got Angharradh on High elves already, I'd forgotten what the closest to Ehlonna was called in FR.
>>
File: 1448134064711.jpg (49KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1448134064711.jpg
49KB, 596x628px
>>46902202
>>
>>46905037
Most men of reasonably good standing or trying to look like they have good standing have some sort of sword. A lot of lower class women have at least a dagger.

Also the pure arcane casters are the rarest classes at my table, and normal priesthood also wears robes
>>
>>46905111
I hope they all have open carry permits for those swords.
>>
>>46904228
Glad to hear! I'll try to get a nice PDF of it.

>>46904260
I think it's approximately on par with the sun soul monk. Perhaps a little weaker offensively but also somewhat less MAD and therefore more flexible.

>>46904691
I just think the monk wasn't intended to mix non-monk weapons with his martial arts feature. But see the Zen Archer tradition I just wrote up.
>>
>>46903766
>>46903849
>>46905043

Thank you for killing Virt again, based nip Moot.
>>
>>46905039
Well, if you wanna SCLfag it out, the DMG has Moon Elves now, don't they?
>>
>>46905145
>I just think the monk wasn't intended to mix non-monk weapons with his martial arts feature. But see the Zen Archer tradition I just wrote up.

So in other words that's just like your opinion, man.
>>
>>46905128
>permits
It only matters when they play anarchist revolutionaries on Gothic Earth.
>>
File: arcanearcher.jpg (55KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
arcanearcher.jpg
55KB, 500x749px
So would arcane archer be a fighter archetype or a wizard tradition?
>>
>>46905206
I went with three goddesses, mostly because I really kinda wanted a tri-seasonal system.

That said a separate moon goddess (she'll probably take the war portfolio as well) might make sense; I'm probably also going to have a god of the sea (maybe, Erevan kinda fills the god of travelers bill).
>>
>>46904949
Well the only thing it really is giving is allowing d8 weapons and the use of your bonus action back. And if I put the prerequisite on it it won't be reachable till 6 as a fighter or 8 as a PC, and that's skipping max 20 stat till 12.

The human variant could take it but it's worthless until 4. So it is a huge trade off early game for mid-late game.
>>
>>46905145
>I just think the monk wasn't intended to mix non-monk weapons with his martial arts feature. But see the Zen Archer tradition I just wrote up.
It's not really mixing it so much as fully utilizing their two attack actions.
If you want to shill your Zen Archer, though, that's cool too.
>>
>>46905310
It's not my intent to shill. I just thought it was a cool idea that could accomplish what is obviously a desired archetype. If you don't want to use it, don't.
>>
>>46905304
A way I've been thinking about is adding the second weapon die to the damage roll of the attack.
Ex: A Fighter with a Rapier and Scimitar would add 1d8+1d6+Mod to each damage roll he makes in his Attack Action.
Biggest problem I see is this making TWF shit for Rogues.
>>
>>46905342
Original monk/warlock here.
While inevitably I'll go with whatever my DM wants I have enjoyed the discussion and the input others have added. I may be biased but I am finding myself in agreement with the whole "disarming yourself" thing.

I find the Zen Archer archetype interesting but I'm intending to stick to RAW for this campaign. It's definitely something I might consider for a campaign that allows more homebrew stuff. I think as others have said it seems a little bit underpowered at the moment, but to be honest I prefer that when it comes to homebrew initially.
>>
>>46905415
Yeah, that also goes with the idea that you are just using both weapons with the same attack, I'd rather miss with one attack than have only one chance to hit.
>>
>>46905474
I should add I really like the level 11 feature.
Think about putting it into a fancy PDF?
>>
>>46905474
Considering how wildly overpowered most homebrew is, mildly underpowered is okay and easier to tweak. I think volley at level 11 makes a bit more sense than Deflect Arrows, but might step on the Ranger's toes even if it's basically a ranged flurry.
>>
>>46905270
Ranger subclass IMO
>>
>>46905474
>>46904260
>>46904053
>>46905502
I definitely intend to PDF it once I've settled on a final version. A couple of people mentioned it seems a bit underpowered - any suggestions on subtle improvements?

>>46905524
I purposely didn't want to increase the number of bow attacks the Zen Archer can make. Like the Sun Soul monk, the idea is trading an extra attack or two for range.
>>
>>46905524
What about being able to shoot two arrows (or more depending on ki expended) at a single target. Roll for each arrow individually, apply Dex bonus only once.

So basically increase damage of your shot by 1d6 per ki expended (or something). Put some bounds on it.
>>
>>46905524
Also, level 11 abilities for monk traditions are all defensive. Level 6s also tend not to be direct damage source. The only possible levels for volley, then, are 3 (too early) and 17 (not interesting enough).

My design intent was to make it attack less often than other monks, though, so I don't think the ability is appropriate in general.
>>
>>46905709
I tend to miss the patterns in those more often than not, so it's a fairly good call. Keeping the theme going makes sense.
>>
>>46905746
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes

This points out a bunch of the design patterns. Not so much for monk specifically, but it helps you get the gist of things.
>>
>>46905709
What about instead of just using the range of the bow you expand it to you can make the attack with the bow you are using.

Which basically equates to it being a bad idea for someone to shoot arrows at you.
>>
>>46900017
Not him but may I ask why?
>>
>>46905820
I think the only thing this would change is that it would allow you to deal increased damage if your monk damage is higher than the projectile's. Which doesn't seem overpowered, so it's probably a good idea.
>>
>>46905873
>>46905820
Actually, scratch that. The attack is made with proficiency and as a monk weapon anyway. So saying the counterattack is done with your weapon won't change anything from what I originally had mechanically, but it would be a simpler phrasing.
>>
>>46905901
It could change if you had a magical bow.
>>
>>46905982
Good point.

Improved Deflection: at level 11, you may use Deflect Missiles once per turn without using your reaction. If the missile is an arrow, you can make the counterattack with a bow you are wielding.
>>
>>46899066
Alright, so I am in a game of fifth edition D&D right now and we are playing through the Escape from the Abyss module: careful, spoilers.

I think it is written in the book, that after a day or so from the game start, a drow liutenant comes to meet the party and the prisoners NPCs with the party to offer to leave the door unlocked the next morning so that you can escape after he distracts the guards...

Now, me being me, I get suspicious of the drow, since... you know, he put us there in the first place. So I tell the rest of the party that I doubt that this is a sound plan to escape: of course no one gives a fuck that the drow might be tricking us and chooses to go along with the self-destructive plan.

I know what you are thinking: anon, you are a fucktard, because the GM is handing you the plothook you need to advance the plot. I know, I know, but it just seems too fucking easy, sorry.

We go along with the plan though, and the next day very early the drow comes up and unlocks the door, telling us to wait five minutes until he can distract the guards away from the guardtower. We wait. We see the drow battling a bunch of demons and the party rushes the empty guardhouse to grab what equipment/weapon they can. I opt for a hammer to break the manacles that bind my hands and those of my fellow prisoners. Then I jump down the cliff, into the big webs that are down there, acting like rope

I am not playing a fighter or any martial class: I am playing an illusion/transmutation based sorcerer and I am not going to tango with the three giant spiders that deal 1d8+3 damage per hit +1d4 poison damage on hit against con save... with just a hammer. So I jump from the web that I landed on, into the pool of water below.

I am not proud of what I did: I ran, instead of helping a party member who was already downed...

Lay it on me /tg/, how bad did I screw up?
>>
>>46906025
>reading the module as a player

You are scum
>>
>>46906025
You're exactly the reason I don't actually ever follow modules, and sometimes even tweak the map to varying degrees.
>>
>>46906147
I haven't read the module.
>>
>>46906176
I said "I think" it is written in the module, I didn't say I read it.
>>
>>46899066
Other people mutilate themselves and commit suicide while playing D&D? I thought that was just my group.
>>
>>46906025
Your DM was pretty fucking dumb for using that plot hook, and your party is pretty fucking dumb for not listening.
>>
>>46906394
I am contemplating on getting out since last session he was like "Yeah, I think you're going to get XP for defeating the spider" to another party member who actually fought....

He said that he's going to distribute XP by the book, which I think is not really good.
>>
>>46899066
How does 5th edition say that Exp should be divided?
>>
>>46906565
Milestones is the best way IMO
>>
>>46906565
As the DM sees fit.

>>46906643
I like to track XP from loot & monsters (50% from each) to maintain an idea of how close to leveling the players "should" be. Sometimes I use this information to let the players increase in character level, other times I just mentally note that I'm doling out milestones a bit slow. It's much more important that the players feel they're being appropriately challenged than to actually follow the guidelines for encounter design or XP rewards.
>>
>>46906565
3-4 sessions to level 3, another 2 session milestone to 4, after that it's more or less major events.

I pretty much focus exclusively on 5-10 play though, and hardly ever push above.
>>
>>46903766
What Domains would the MODS have? I would genuinely like to worship them at times like these.
>>
>>46906938
Knowledge, Trickery, and Tempest. Obviously.
>>
>>46899066
It's less the pastebin and more a general resource, but I'd like to see something akin to OggDude's Character Generator for Fantasy Flight's Star Wars RPG.

I love making characters and trying them out in impromptu encounters, but shit gets tedious when you've gotta fill everything out yourself and go all over the PDF to find the character options.
>>
>>46906992
And Spiritual Weapon would take the form of the Banhammer, right?
>>
>>46902202
my sides
>>
File: Banhammer.jpg (134KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Banhammer.jpg
134KB, 800x450px
>>46907236
Well, obviously

>>46906565
>>46906643
>>46906816
>>46906902
Every 5e game I've played so far has used milestones/level-up when the DM feels like it. And it works perfectly well for everyone involved.
>>
>>46899282
Warlocks can be the simplest least creativity rewarding class in the game, or they can be tons of fun, with lots of features that reward creativity, while having a high damage cantrip to fall back on.
>>
new to 5e, one of my group is going to run it in two weeks. Are there splat books yet? Looking over the PHB and it's all pretty vanilla.
>>
>>46907545
No splats. There are extra class options, but they're scattered across tons of different PDFs.
>>
Relatively green DM running Death House and Curse of Strahd. Any tips to help me not be shit?
>>
>>46907545
Check out the mega link in the OP. There's a little bit of extra content in Elemental Evil and a bit more than that in SCAG.

Also, there's some Unearthed Arcana stuff but a DM is within his right not to allow it.
>>
>>46907575
please tell me someone has created an online srd or something?
>>
>>46907625
There's only a subset of the PHB and DMG in the official SRD release, so no. Not many people like to put work in just to have it shut down by a DMCA.
>>
>>46907545
>special snowflake: the post
>>
>>46907625

There's not really a need for one at the moment. If you find it overwhelming, there is an anon that keeps posting his very useful list of character creation options in these threads.

Most of the "splat" stuff is in the free Unearthed Arcana PDFs, and the Elemental Evil player companion. The only one that isn't free is SCAG, but that's it as of now.
>>
fair enough, I guess I'm spoiled by pathfinder and how friendly Paizo has been to some of the fan srd sites.

Does anyone at least have an itemized list of books where I can find new splat?

Which elemental evil book has new stuff? What is SCAG?
>>46907604
>>
>>46907791
Anon simply wants to play a catfolk inquisitor! What's so snowflake about that?

>>46907826
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ
>>
>>46907826
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_5th_Edition_Books
They're all in the mega in the OP.
>>
File: 1388359364277.jpg (62KB, 450x418px) Image search: [Google]
1388359364277.jpg
62KB, 450x418px
>>46907935
>>
>>46901938
I think i have it saved on my phone from ifunny
>>
>>46907935

Check out the various Unearthed Arcanas.

>Eberron
>Light, Dark, Underdark
>Class Design Variants
>Waterborne Adventures
>Gothic Heroes
>Awakened Mystic 2

These are all the ones I can remember that have different archetypes/races. In the case of the Awakened Mystic, it's an attempt to bring psionics back. Currently incomplete, as it's just 10 levels, but it's pretty fucking neat.

I probably forgot one or two, so I'd suggest just scanning through them all. There's only about a dozen or so, and the majority of them are only a few pages.
>>
>>46907836
why does everyone get so defensive whenever anyone brings up a splatbook or expansion content?

like how wanting more options automatically means you want to play a gay furry. the games been out for a long time without any additional content.
>>
So still revised Seldarine.
- The parent divinities are generally considered to be primordials or something akin to them. Which, since I'm disregarding EE, are mostly a mysterious "Chaos" type figure.
- Each god has a sacred instrument among a small selection I put down as "elvish" (they're Harp, Lute, Flute, Pipes, Horn, Dulcimer, Drums); The winds are instruments of the goddesses, Corellon gets Harps, Erevan gets Dulcimer, who gets the last two depends on whether I stick to 5 divinities.
- The part where all four currently established gods (Corellon, Lolth, Erevan, Angharradh, Sehanine) who aren't Corellon sound like they're basically playing a love game with him is intentional, the eternal cycle of love is kind of a part of how I'm moving them towards a more Chaotic than Good aspect.
- Domains aren't quite established, but will probably be more freeform and more by faith. Strictly speaking, most of the caster clergy for this faith will probably be Druids anyway.

I'm also going to base the reworked Dwarven pantheon on the old Birthright Baruk Azhik splat, with the six children of Moradin as the actual worshipped divine manifestations, and Moradin as basically the demiurge in a reverse-gnostic cultural faith based on the idea that the material world is the ultimate potential good; different sects differ on whether it meant it should be improved or if it's already the just world.

I don't particularly need to keep the names, but like, the intent is basically there anyway, and they're more recognizable; same reason I'm sticking with Ezra as the name for Ravenloft's obvious Jesus.
>>
>>46908134
You're right, and I was being somewhat facetious. Anon probably just wants more ranger archetypes. You'll notice I did link the available content.

Part of the defensiveness is probably that the game HAS been out for a long time without additional content, so whenever someone criticizes it people who enjoy the game feel like they have to defend it.
>>
>>46908134
in defense of the anon ridculing me, I have a folder full of pathfinder builds of Tengu Samurai, Merfolk Gunslingers, Gunslinger/Druids, Knights who command flocks of turkeys, torch wielding goblins, oracles of space-time, ostrich riding knights, druids who shrink into tiny animals, 2 headed alchemists, oni-blooded sorcerer/samurai and all sorts of other stupid shit that should never actually be a PC.
>>
File: 1389193844149.gif (429KB, 173x142px) Image search: [Google]
1389193844149.gif
429KB, 173x142px
>>46908240
>Merfolk Gunslingers
>>
>>46908212
It's frustrating for sure but I think the snark should be directed towards Wizards. I'm certainly

>>46908240
I don't want 5th edition to turn into pathfinder either, although if I'm honest I wouldn't mind if races like that exist but I have a thicker skin than most. I don't want 5e to have pathfinder's release schedule, but I do want some new options and rules and content for my game. having the option to add something or refuse something is better than no options at all.
>>
>>46908240
I could see this kind of shit being added in "fun" UAs, mainly since it's very explicit that UA content is very, very strongly subject to DM approval and not AL legal.

Some of them don't sound too bad for quirky roleplay.
>>
>>46908240
>Gunslinger/Druid
I'm playing in a game that takes place in a fantasy version of real-world Earth. We met a druid in the midwest that was basically a cowboy with an affinity for buffalo. Shit was cash.

>Also awesome: Missouri River boat gypsy Warlock of Mab.
>>
File: Castle_siege_zpsc0fe4817.jpg (342KB, 800x503px) Image search: [Google]
Castle_siege_zpsc0fe4817.jpg
342KB, 800x503px
I want to do a city siege in my campaign at some point, does anyone have some tips/suggestions as to how to manage that succesfully?

Like I want a couple dozen combatants in it at once, city guardsmen up on ramparts shooting arrows and orcs+hobgoblins+bugbears pushing siege weaponry towards the city and trying to knock down doors and etc.

I just dunno how to deal with the logistics of all of that. Also while it's happening undead are going to pour out of the city catacombs
>>
>>46908498
There's a large battles Unearthed Arcana that should provide basically what you need.
>>
>>46908498
Back in 2E I ran a game of Mighty Fortress with a small peripheral 30yw siege. The besiegers were more or less 3000 enemy calvinist militia against about 500 anabaptist defending militia.

Just stick to making shit narrative, do like NWN2 did with the fake lights and the idea that you were just a part of the operations during the siege. Your party's bits are maybe a bit bigger than how many there are of them, but even with a few dozen monsters and guards, they're heroes but not supermen.

I actually had them lead a sortie through sewers where I pulled out some vague semblance of mass combat rules because they bumped into the vanguard of a sapper company down there and had to fight their way through most of the 60 men to get all the way through.
>>
>>46908384

Merfolk Gunslinger here. I agree, PF and 3.5 have way too much. But where to draw the line between too much and too little? That's the real trick.

>>46908410
I think that's possibly a good way to go about it. Supposedly thats how any splatbook should work, always subject to DM approval, but in practice players expect most of it to be open unless its a fundamental change to the game.

>>46908339
Yeah, I know, the whole concept is stupid as you can't shoot firearms underwater, even in PF. So the entire build is very metagame in the sense that your Merfolk PC will likely be travelling with other non-merfolks, above the waves. So yeah, dumb idea.
>>
>>46908498
>tips/suggestions as to how to manage that succesfully
Keep the narrative focus on the Players' actions. The pitch of the battle should respond to what they do.

The players aren't going to care extensively about what NPC soldier #4538 is doing, but they are going to care about objectives during the siege: do they need to hold the walls? Are there civilians to be mindful of? Are the PCs commanding troops or are they independent contributors to the fight?

The city defenders should be assumed to be capable of defending the city at large; the PCs should be given tasks pertaining to troubleshooting, with extreme ramifications for the defenders should they fail.

Examples:
> The enemy is wheeling a ram up to the main gate. It must be destroyed before it can compromise the defense.
> You've heard talk of a goat path that circumvents the stronghold's defenses. Securing or obstructing this path is vital.
> The enemy is captained by the infamous warlord Urdogalub. Seeing their leader felled will greatly hurt their morale.

I think you should keep the skellingtons in reserve in case the party is finding the challenges at hand too easy. No sense in upping the ante if they're already struggling.
>>
>>46908134
It seems to me there's a strange tendency to assume that everything anybody ever publishes will be shoehorned into every campaign everywhere ever. Any suggestion that an existing character creation option be modified or a new option be introduced is met with the ferocious resistance of a mother bear protecting her cubs. Even though the shitty splat content has basically no relevance.

As a DM I'm just not a big fan of letting players throw cockamamie oddball characters into play whose presence suggests something totally out of place for the setting. I'm comfortable with hearing out a character concept and basically arriving at a firm "no." Want to play a gunslinging catfolk cleric of the death god? In some games that may be fine. In my low-fantasy Bronze Age Judean Civil War game that doesn't sound like a clean fit. It'd take some convincing. Maybe put that character concept on the shelf for a later game, bro.
>>
>>46908830
>I think you should keep the skellingtons in reserve in case the party is finding the challenges at hand too easy. No sense in upping the ante if they're already struggling.

the zombambos are the lead in to a small campaign arc I'm gonna do (lich in the catacombs etc) and I figure introducing them in a situation where shit is already going down would make them more memorable/threatening than just having the party stumble on them.

There'll also be a bit of a lead in to it, with that district of the city having been quarantined mysteriously prior to this siege event.

as for the siege itself i'll give my players specific objectives like you said, while occasionally something related to the main fight happens (IE a ballista crashes into a nearby building etc)
>>
File: kind-of-want-Favim.com-994497.jpg (55KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
kind-of-want-Favim.com-994497.jpg
55KB, 500x350px
>>46908934
>low-fantasy Bronze Age Judean Civil War game
>>
>>46909167
I ran one of these before. One of my players became jesus, he ascended to godhood and had to make a new character. The new character was a cleric...
>>
>>46909294
Masturbation character best character.
>>
>>46903944

wtf

he already did....
>>
reading 5e for the first time. They made Mage Armor an abjuration spell. Just creamed in my pants. There is a god, and he has done rightly.
>>
>>46909486
Look at Eldritch Knight's allowed schools. That's pretty much the reason a lot of good gish spells are now Abjuration or Evocation.
>>
>>46907354
My DM uses XP instead of milestones and now we are level 9 half way into Rise of Tiamat
>>
>>46909649
Eldritch Knight is the exact reason I checked it. I wondered if they made the same mistake they made with Abjurant Champion in 3.5
>>
So, pact of the blade let's you manifest any weapon.

Does this include improvised weapons?

Can I use pact of the blade to manifest a crowbar? A shovel? Thieves tools? Healing kits? All of these things are items that could be used as improvised weapons.
>>
>>46909780
>you can choose the form that this melee weapon takes
>(see chapter 5 for weapon options)

No.
>>
>>46909678
listen to me now
at this rate, you'll get to the final fight at 20 - it'll be a piece of cake.
YOU MUST CRASH THE ~PLANE~ WITH NO SURVIVORS
>>
>>46909831
Rise of Tiamat is the second half of the adventure
>>
>>46909815
Lame. Pact of the blade needs something, and this has been obvious since before the game was officially released. That would have been a nifty way to let the bladelock shine.
>>
>>46909932
Giving access to literally any item isn't how you make a gish shine.

And proficiency in improvised weapons isn't prof in thieves' tools.
>>
>>46909911
oh, true
then you're fucked, friendo
best wishes
>>
[1/2 Wall of Text Sorry]
I'm going to reveal my big villain in the next session or two and I'm super nervous.

IF YOUR NAME IS ANDREW STOP READING NOW, YOU FUCKER. I KNOW YOU BROWSE THIS BOARD.

In my setting all the Gods have rooms in a great "world temple" located at the center of everything. Each god's room is their domain, and anybody who tries to do anything against that God while inside one will soon find themselves regretting it.

Once every fifty or so years they all congregate and meet at a big religious festival. Most people think this festival is just for the worship of the gods, but it actually exists for a different purpose: to allow the two over-gods to review the performance of the various members of their pantheon. Of course, nobody even knows the over-gods exist, which includes the players.

What they do know is that they're in possession of an object that's intensely powerful and seems to affect Gods more than anything else. They also know that every two hundred festivals or so pantheons tend to change, and that they have two gods extremely angry/paranoid as a result of their actions. So at this point I hope they all think "We can use this orb to murder evil gods." I even set up a fun little moral dilemma where they have to decide if they should give that orb to a good-aligned God, out of fear that he/she might go mad with power. So I hope they think they have a solid idea of where the plot is going to go.

Of course, there's a twist. There wasn't two over-gods, there were three. I've tried to drop very subtle hints at this, but I don't think anybody's picked up on it. The other two decided to imprison the third because they didn't like his style of world-creation, which they thought involved far too many rules and regulations.
>>
Hey /tg/, how strict are you guys with archetypes? Do you ever change them up or create new ones for your groups? Have you even just swapped some between classes?
>>
>>
>>46899510
Word. 1st level Cleric can heal 1d4+6 as a bonus action range 60ft.
>>
[2/2]
>>46910094
Naturally, he's back. He's also quite angry at how the world's turned out. So he uses the meeting to berate the gods, then fucks off.

His "master plan" is to acquire as much magical power as he can so he can destroy the world and everything in it, giving him a chance to start over. Of course, he isn't going to say that—he's just going to claim that he wants to reorganize the pantheon, no doubt driving the Gods into a frenzy to acquire more influence to prove their worth.

I'm currently having trouble coming up with a creative way to show the characters that this guy means business. My current options are:

>Incinerate a god he particularly dislikes
>Changing the alignment of a god to prove he can (no idea what direction the change should be, or who he should do it to)
>Swap the portfolios of two gods
>Something else

I'm nervous that any of these are going to come off as fucking retarded. Should I be nervous?

Is this a terrible idea?

Should I kill myself?
>>
>>46910179
You really can't swap them around. They give abilities at levels specific to that class intended to fill a niche that class needs at that level (e.g. monk level 11 abilities are all defensive in nature).

But creating new ones is a pretty smooth process.
>>
>>46910179
With official stuff I stick mostly to raw except
- Beastmaster's pet tweaks to work better, a medium sized beastmaster can get a pet large enough to ride if the CR isn't too high, so long as it's not a horse.
- Bladelock gets the same proficiencies as Valor bard (Medium, Shield, Martial)
Otherwise I tend to allow most UA and splat archetypes, except Bladesinger because wizard has too many already.
>>
>>46908134

>actually have two furries in group
>fucking cat centaur
>fucking weeb shit fox
>>
>>46910363
well obviously you don't mind that much or you wouldn't have them at your table.
>>
My group fucking wiped on the boss and we're all rerolling for this week's session. I'm rerolling a Paladin, an Oathbreaker Paladin too which i'm pumped about.

I should be prioritizing stats like so right?:

Atk Stat (Str) > Cha > Con > Wis > Dex > Int

We're point buying this time around (we actually get a free 18 on top of that, instead of magic items so that's nifty) and i'm trying to make sure I get my shit straight because i'm pretty juiced about the fluff i've built for this character . I'll be starting at 20 Str with Heavy armor master, but from there I need to be careful about my spread.
>>
>>46910344
>>46910302
My groups barbarian isn't sold on the berserker or shamanistic archetypes, he picked the class as more a noble savage like a warcraft blademaster or something. He loves the look of the fighters champion archetype, but concerned the crit abilities would be too stronk when everything else fits his vision.
>>
>>46910420
Some of the Totem Barb stuff in SCAG is really good.

If you wanted to make a Barbarian warmaster, i'd say try to make a new path, either based on battlemaster (superiority die and shit) or maybe a primal warmaster that gets 1/3 Cha or Wis casting while raging.
>>
>>46910420
That archetype really doesn't mesh well with the barbarian for a couple reasons.
1. Barbarians don't get fighting styles
2. The capstone regeneration ability is overpowered when combined with the barbarian's absurd resilience
The crits aren't even the big problem here.
Your friend sounds like he should just play a champion fighter with the outlander background. A barbarian isn't every wild warrior, it's specifically those that rage. Barbarian tribes can easily contain warriors (and rangers).
>>
So me and 3 friends have started our first d&d campaign. We're having a lot of fun, but I'm a bit worried about our party balance.
We have a monk, a rogue and a cleric. Will we get destroyed the first time we encounter anything magical? (still at level 1)
>>
>>46910501
Can easily contain fighters*
>>
>>46910420
Champion Fighter is hella stronk, so I'm glad to see your friend toning things down a bit. Bravo.
>>
File: 1461021782760.jpg (92KB, 630x624px) Image search: [Google]
1461021782760.jpg
92KB, 630x624px
So, I asked my DM if I could use the Mystic Take 2 Rules in multiclassing my character and I'm trying to figure out how best to do it. I'm currently a lvl 9 Mastermind Rogue, I was thinking that I might want to go either 12 Rogue/8 Mystic or 10Rogue/10 Mystic. Which do you think would be better? I come out with better over all stats with the 12/8 build (Because of the extra Ability Score increase given at 10, then the additional one at 12, 4, and 8) But then I might be gimping myself for the late game by losing out on Consumptive Power, an extra Talent, an extra Discipline, and 20 fewer psi points. Also, should I go for the Order of the Immortal or Awakened?
>>
Hay what are the best magic Items I could get for an archer Ranger?
>>
>>46910789
A token that changes you into another class.
>>
>>46902339
Death's Door.

When a character drops to 0 hitpoints they are not knocked unconscious. They must still make death saving throws as per normal however a roll of 1 is treated as death and a roll of 20 allows the character to spend up to 1/3 of their remaining hit die. 3 failures is death and 3 successes gives 1hp. Damage taken while at 0 hit points forces a death save with disadvantage
>>
>>46910778
Are you actually going to play to 20?
>>
>>46910813
>>
File: 26885823.jpg (84KB, 540x525px) Image search: [Google]
26885823.jpg
84KB, 540x525px
>>46910813
>>
>>46910831
Seems like. The DM looks to be pretty keen to level us up a lot.
>>
>>46904145
Lichs must devour souls to stay as lichs. Becoming a lich also endows you with certain powers and abilities
>>
>>46910612
CLERICS ARE FULL SPWLLCASTERS
>>
>>46904145

I always kind of thought of becoming a lich as sort of removing the inherent limiter on power that all mortal races have. It allows one to transcend the limits of mortality to obtain godlike power. Just cloning yourself over and over still leaves you as a mortal at the end of the day.

As far as why you would become evil, I'd say it's not really that the transformation itself makes you evil, more the process to do it and the reasons you would have for doing it will eventually lead you to being full on evil. The only people who would want to be a lich would be people who would be so devoted to obtaining immense power that they would be totally fine with killing to obtain it.

On a related note, does anyone have that 2 part article that has non-wizard class equivalents for becoming a lich? I think I remember one of them being like a fighter would transcend to like sentient magical weapon status theoretically. It was a good read. I'd be curious to see what /5eg/ thinks about some of them.
>>
>>46904145

I've seen this point before, but are we just forgetting that becoming a lich makes you stronger than a normal human? You no longer need to eat, sleep, drink anything, or breathe, you get the ability to shrug off shit that would easily kill a normal person, and of course you gain new abilities (like the paralyzing touch, the aura of fear, etc.).

Also, it's way easier to hide a phylactery from your enemies than a comatose clone of yourself (or several of them, as I've seen implied before).
>>
>>46911277

Found it after a 2 second search, if anyone wants to read it.

http://tribality.com/2016/02/03/a-lich-for-every-class-the-paths-to-trancendance/
>>
What are some clever things I can do as a not clever person? Specifically, with mage hand ledgerdomain?
>>
>>46911613

Uh, something something bag of daggers, insert some math here, something something lots of damage.
>>
>>46911660
stop
>>
>>46911660
pls no memes. I'm thinking of things like caltrops, which I think I could do with it, ball bearings, etc.
>>
How do I be a good DMPC?
>>
>>46911760
"DMPC is an inherently derogatory term. So: don't.
>>
>>46911760
basically, unskilled combat meat shield monkey, that occasionally does something stupid to trigger an encounter if the PCs flaff about too much.

Don't listen to the players in this thread naysaying you, and take it from an experienced DM: DMPCs are fine as long as you're a competent DM. Don't steal the player's spotlight.
>>
>>46911760
Be semi-useless in and out of combat. Fill a supporting role like buffing/healing/debuffing rather than raw damage, and don't use the DMPC out of combat to railroad the PCs.
>>
File: grrm_5026_f2_p.jpg (26KB, 271x400px) Image search: [Google]
grrm_5026_f2_p.jpg
26KB, 271x400px
Anyone have experience with pewter miniatures/dark sword miniatures?

Pic related is one I want to get for a friend's ranger. We're new to D&D and we have like no experience with painting figures or anything like that
>>
>>46911726
Caltrops, Ball bearings and alchemicals are a really great way to deal with pursuit.

Ball bearings thrown at pursuers can be really rough. Ball bearings thrown at pursuers while you're fleeing up the stairs can be literally deadly.
>>
>>46911817

What you described is not a DMPC though. That's just an NPC that helps the party. The term is meant to describe when a DM does this idea completely wrong.

>Don't steal the player's spotlight

And that right there is where bad DMs cross the line and turn a helpful NPC into a DMPC. So no, people telling him not to run one are absolutely in the right, because the term carries a negative connotation from the start.
>>
>>46905270
Could easily edit Eldritch Knight to fit better with archery. Imbuing arrows instead of bonus attacks, etc.
>>
>>46911784
>>46912130
You're being a semantic twit. Everyone else understands what anon meant when they asked how to run a DMPC well.
>>
>>46912178
It's okay anon. If we banned semantic twits, these threads would be dead.
>>
File: DA_Magick_Archer.jpg (58KB, 426x340px) Image search: [Google]
DA_Magick_Archer.jpg
58KB, 426x340px
>>46905270
just make an eldritch knight focused on archery. Maybe let it use some ranger skills like lightning arrow.

Would be pretty cool
>>
>>46912178

We're not the same person. I just agreed with the other guy, because he's right. The term is primarily used in a negative light.

Also, don't know if you've been in these threads before, but semantics are kinda the fucking norm. If we weren't semantic twits, then how would we educate this poor, uneducated fool on the difference between an NPC and a DMPC? Exactly. Important work, that is.
>>
>>46912317
The only real difference between a DMPC and an NPC is whether the DM invests in the character the same way the Player does their character.

Done right, the players will never know the difference between a DMPC and an NPC.
>>
File: fuck you in a bottle.png (557KB, 977x900px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you in a bottle.png
557KB, 977x900px
>>46912117
>not throwing a jar containing oil, alchemist's fire, caltrops, and ball bearings
>enemies slip on oil-covered bearings and fall
>into caltrops
>and then the whole thing self-ignites
>flailing, burning enemy repeatedly stabbing themselves on caltrops as they try to escape
>>
>>46912354

But, if they're done in such a way that the players can't tell the two apart, why even use the term DMPC for them in the first place? It should be saved as a term to describe when it's done poorly.

When the term is brought up, to most people it has many inherent ideas behind it, like spotlight hogging, railroading, self-insert bullshit, heterochromia, edginess, etc. You take all that, throw a few class levels on top, and you have a DMPC. When you can use a four letter term to describe all of that, which is, as we've said entirely too many times by now, DMPC, it's just so much more convienient than having to type out all of that shit. It's effectively a language shorthand.

Now, if you feel like using the term in a positive light, well, you're obviously more than free to do so. Just expect semantic dickweeds like myself to come out and explain all this useless drivel, as I just did, and waste everyone's time. I'm sorry anon, I can't help it, I was born this way
>>
>>46912498
My god, you're a dick.

I like it. It definitely wouldn't work that well though.
>>
>>46912595
You know, unknown to you, DMs do post and discuss here. Having the accurate definition of DMPC is useful for them. Restricting the definition to the ones that only players notice does those DM posters a disservice.
>>
>>46912641
Did I mention the oil was also tainted with a powerful poison that isn't denatured by heat, and every time someone gets pricked by a caltrop they're given another dose?
>>
>>46912498
Honestly
stacking just means more chance of failing one save; although tavern brawler definitely makes a direct hit easier
>>
>>46910344
What's wrong with a horse?
Beastmaster Ranger is probably the best class at being a cowboy or gunslinger there is.
>>
>>46912708
There is a small part of me that wants the magical horse to be a thing for paladins.

I might just discuss it; I definitely wanted to have Elven Elk Riders and the like.
>>
>>46912667

I'm a DM too anon, so the condescension is not appreciated. And the main problem here is that we have two very different definitions of what constitutes a DMPC.

I feel the term holds more negative connotations, whereas you prefer a more neutral definition. And since neither of us are going to budge here, I think we'll have to just agree to disagree.
>>
>>46911760
Run an NPC
>>
TFW DM gave the barbarian a power that lets him attack 6 times per turn all with advantage consistently for an average of 67.5 damage a turn (assuming all attacks hit). TFW this is at level 8. TFW I'm a rogue who is lucky to get 15 damage in a turn.
>>
>>46912856
I mean, I agree that you're a cunt quibbling over semantics instead of offering anything substantive. That's all I can do though.
>>
>>46912968
Why don't you tell your DM that is bullshit and unfair to everyone that isn't the barb? Something like that wouldn't last a second with my group

what sort of DM would do something like that? is the barb his GF or something?
>>
>>46912968
Kick back and let the barbarian do the heavy lifting in combat. Make it clear that you're not attacking anything: the barbarian's got it. This is a non-problem.
>>
>>46912968
If you're a rogue, you shouldn't have any trouble stealing the spotlight back.
>>
>>46913471
>>46913361
Leave the barbarian to fight and start scouting rooms aheadm. Take 10% of the loot before revealing it as your finders fee and lead all enemies back to your blender when stealth fails. Make the action stop for you to have an exploration round every turn until combat seems worth your time. The best part is, your turns might still take less time if he has to rolls six attacks every turn.
>>
File: Machinist 1.0.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Machinist 1.0.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Hi guys, this here is pretty much the finished product

Feel free to use it if you like it, and as always C&C are more than welcome, there will be many revisions and additions as I come up with new inventions

Coming up: Other archetypes and classes that will make use of the invention system

(Sniper Rogue? Mecha Fighter? Operator Ranger?)

Anyway, have at it
>>
>>46913685
Not bad! A bit of a highlighting error on the Dimensional Rip Generator page.
>>
>>46912968
Even if they didn't have that many attacks, a barbarian and fighter will deal double the damage of a rogue for the majority of the game. They get their attack modifier multiple times in one turn, they gain more from magic weapons and they have GMW. Rogues are skill monkeys with low-average damage
>>
File: Neutronium_golem_page.png (403KB, 1840x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Neutronium_golem_page.png
403KB, 1840x1650px
>BBEG is giving his speech
>This enters the stratosphere above his lair
What happens next?

Is there a 5e conversion around?
>>
>>46913988
Your players flip the table, leave the game, and make sure to warn people online that you're a shitty gm?
>>
Is there any way to make a self-buffing melee build in 5e?
>>
>>46914071
Eldritch Knight or Paladin.
>>
>>46913988
you know I like 5e and all but I do miss the absurd shit of older gens.

Like even in this gen something like a tarrasque is still comparable to max high level PCs

>>46914071
eldritch knight multiclassed into abj wiz. Plate armor + shield + the shield spell means nothing will ever hit you ever.
>>
>>46913568
Good idea. Problem is we don't ever get dungeons. Just outdoors on the road or underdark on the road.

>>46913361
>>46913471
And he gives us fights that we literally cannot win even with the barbarian.
>12 werewolves
>adult dragon (with us at level 6,7)

>>46913296
No, but he lets my gf quicken to cast fireball twice a round.
>>
>>46913988
I hand my players my new "TTGL inspired" homebrew, and tell them to go nuts.

Though for real: how do you beat that without having a party of actual pun puns?
>>
>>46914106
your dm sounds pretty shit
>>
I really want to make a barbarian for an upcoming CoS campaign I'm playing in but I just don't care for the classic Barbarian tropes.

Anyone have any interesting backstory ideas for Barbarians or cool ways to reflavor them? I was thinking maybe something like a Drunken Fighter style reflavor, with his Rage being reflavored as him taking a big chug from his special homebrew "moonshine" that makes him shrug off damage and have drunkard strength.
>>
Just to make sure, when you multiclass you get the full hit die value of whatever class you picked for the first level right? Or would I roll hit die since my total level is 2?
>>
>>46914309
You get the hit points of your second class as if you are level 2 in your second class.

Dipping Barb at level 1 does not give you d12 if you switch to Sorcerer right after.
>>
>>46914330
Ok, so multiclassing as a Barb would give 1d12 hp instead of 12 flat for Warlock 1/Barb 1.

That makes more sense since otherwise thered be almost no reason not to grab Barb 1 for low level casters.
>>
>>46914476
Yes. Only character level 1 gives automatic max HP
>>
>>46914297
What about barbarians do you actually like? Or do you just want to punish yourself?
>>
>>46914106
>And he gives us fights that we literally cannot win even with the barbarian
Good. You'll TPK soon and be done with the problem.
>>
>>46913853
Thanks Anon, I also noticed a few typos that I should address. I'll make some changes and reupload for the morning crowd to take a look
>>
>>46914297

Is there a problem with just being a big guy?
>>
What's the smartest monster in the monster manual?
>>
>>46913988
How does anyone even kill this thing?
>>
>>46914743
You don't, it's literally a way for a passive aggressive DM to give you the finger.
>>
I've been listening to the Icewind Dale books on tape recently, and I started thinking-

How difficult would it be to non-magically disguise a drow as a surface elf? All I can think of right now would be extensive face-painting, probably down to the shoulders, dying hair, and not showing skin below the neck to your best ability.
>>
>>46914985
It's a lot easier if you're an albino Drow.
When it comes to Mary Sues, in for a penny, in for a pound.
>>
>>46914297
Why would you play a barbarian if you don't like them?

Anyway if you wanna play a drunken brawler just ask your DM if you can use a path like

Lv3- Free tavern brawler feat

Lv6- brewer's kit prof, size up a person for a minute to know if your STR, DEX and CON are lower or higher, unarmed up to d6

Lv 10- double prof on athletics when raging, unarmed up to d8

Lv 14- reckless attack does a free shove, unarmed up to d10
>>
File: 5e Neutronium Golem.png (109KB, 529x1653px) Image search: [Google]
5e Neutronium Golem.png
109KB, 529x1653px
>>46913988
I typed it up using an online converter, but there were a few mistakes. The AC would probably be something along the lines of 100 realistically.
>>
>>46915018
But surface elves usually have skin collors that aren't "colorless white"
>>
>>46915218
Albino surface elves don't
>>
>>46915218
Getting a darker skin tone with make-up is a lot easier than going from coal to cinnamon.

Also, this guy speaks wisdom. >>46915262
>>
>>46915267
To be fair, drow skintones seem to vary enough that they and moon elves have some overlap.

Also there was something on the Candlekeep boards about eilistreans just being basically darker wood elves (so with like, more dark green/brownish than dark blue skin tones), but this might be headcanons
>>
New thread
>>46915589
>>
>>46913685
Wow, um there's really no nice way to say this, but Magic bullet is bullshit. It's just this side of a save or die, and that's something we've been moving away from for 2 editions now. Try limiting it to replicating power word kill plus damage on a successful save. IE, less than 100 HP you make the save, over 100 hp you take the damage instead.
>>
>>46914743
Just Wish that shit out of existence. Than rip your charsheet in halfand leave that fuck of a dm for good.
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.