[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 32

File: fantasy-art-image.jpg (613KB, 800x1056px) Image search: [Google]
fantasy-art-image.jpg
613KB, 800x1056px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previous Thread: >>46870074

What's the best way for a character to become immortal?
>>
>>46878775
By never dying. Easy peasy.
>>
>>46878775
magic.
>>
>>46878775
Defeating the God of Death in an arm-wrestling competition.
>>
>>46878775
One of the classes that causes you not to age, or age very slowly, and be an elf, with a clone.

Can you have more than one clone?
>>
>>46878775
>What's the best way for a character to become immortal?

clone, but reincarnation arguably works too.

those are the easiest methods anyway.
>>
>>46878775
By stealing the Reaper's trash bag.
>>
>>46878775
The group falls apart and the status quo lingers forever.
>>
Alright, /5eg/. We decided a few threads back on what Drizzt would be in 5e (Scout Fighter), now let's do the same for the Fellowship of the Ring.

>Aragorn
Str/Dex Scout Fighter
>Legolas
Dex Battlemaster
>Gimli
Str Battlemaster
>Gandalf
Sorcerer? (due to the nature of his casting)
>Boromir
Str Champion
>Hobitses
Fuck if I know. Level 1 Rogues?
>>
>>46879119
Gandalf is a DMPC with powers as the DM demands.

hobbits are all commoners.
>>
>>46879114
:<

>>46879119
Traditionally, Gandalf was statted by White Dwarf as a cleric, actually. But favored soul probably works best. Remember, he is actually more similiar to a divine outsider than anything else, but if you're going to stat him as a human, a divine-caster is your best bet. All that really matters is his ability to cast Thunderwave, Pyrotechnics, and some method of Create Fire or a transferred version of Fire Seeds from 3.5.

Also, the hobbits are probably just commoners who eventually get a couple of levels in rogue. Well, Sam is a commoner. Frodo would technically be an aristocrat. So just give them monster stat blocks, as I forget if 5E even has NPC classes.
>>
>>46879162
Tom Bombadil is the DMPC.
>>
>>46879169
They can both be. Gandalf's role doesn't make any sense as a player.
>>
File: Drizzt.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Drizzt.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46879119
>We decided a few threads back on what Drizzt would be in 5e (Scout Fighter)

Really? Because the Hunter ranger archetype seems almost like it was made with Drizzt in mind. Just make him spell-less and he fits fine as a 15th or so level character.

Here, I even made him in a thread recently, on a 30-point build. Though granted I have only read up to Sea of Swords and so he doesn't have some of his more modern magic items.
>>
>>46879169
Nah, he's the guy who only played one session and then disappeared who knew every exploit in the system. Funnily enough in 5e, that's Bards.
>>
>>46878860
Holy shit, I had never read Clone before. Who would ever become a lich when you could just keep making a younger version of yourself and still be alive. Your new body would essentially be your phylactery. All you'd have to worry about is making a new one each time.
>>
>>46879162
>>46879165
I get what you mean in regards to Gandalf. I was just going to hand-wave his proficiency in swords and stuff as being a part of his race, but then I remembered what his race was .

No other opinions when it comes to Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, and Boromir?

>>46879214
Yeah, mostly because nothing Drizzt does in the books is even close to what the Ranger can do. He's literally a two-weapon fighter that is good at tracking and stealth.
>>
>>46879232
>Find Familiar
>Cone of Cold
>>
>>46879186
Gandalf is the most experienced player in the group. He's a former DM who metagames like a fiend.

The DM killed him off with a badly-balanced encounter, then npc'd the character when the party resorted to fucking around without the senior player's guidance.
>>
>>46879240
Not really. The joy of the Fellowship is that it isn't the standard collection of Sues and Tryhards. Compare this relatively simple yet incredibly rich roster of
>"Human" Favored Soul/Cleric
>2 Human Fighters
>An Elf and a Dwarf Fighter
>Some Halfling Commoners

To the average Pathfinder group. Or at least, the one most recently in my mind from a recent thread.
>Azata-blooded Aasimar Nightblade
>Lizardfolk Inquisitor
>Human Stalker - Think Book of Nine Swords Rogue
>Undead Warlord
>Half-orc Brawler

And this was for a campaign where the players are all supposed to be playing lifetime residents of a town that has 1% of its residents that aren't Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, or Half-Elves.
>>
>>46879240
Aragorn as a fighter works, but he's described as a ranger in the books. He doesn't have spells, but he does a lot of survival checks to look for tracks and kingsfoil and shit.
>>
>>46879328
Which is why I suggested Scout. It gets basically that.
>>
>>46879281
gandalf starts the campaign with a ring of power, a direct phone line to the gods of the setting, and on equal footing with some of the most powerful NPCs. He's not human, he's literally an angel.

No amount of metagaming in 5e will get you that.

If you insist on statting him as a character instead of a DMPC with powers as the plot demands, then he's clearly the GM's girlfriend's character.
>>
>>46879380
Not really. Gandalf the Grey is basically just an Aasimar Wizard 1/Cleric 1, maybe a few more levels than that.
>>
Quick question about hex, so it's a 1 hour concentration spell that uses the bonus action to score some extra nectroic damage on certain enemies. If the enemy that is hexed dies before the 1 hour time, you can jump to another opponent.

My question is: can you only jump to another opponent on the turn immediately after your first hexed enemy is killed? Or can you save it until the hour runs out or you blow concentration? For example, can I hex a goblin, kill him and then walk for 30 minutes and hex another one or would that expend 2 spells?
>>
File: death knight.jpg (557KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
death knight.jpg
557KB, 1000x1294px
>>46879236
>All you'd have to worry about is making a new one each time.

There doesn't seem to be anything preventing you making multiple clones at the same time. Upon first gaining access to clone or wish, it would make sense for any caster to go on a spree of clone-making right away (hiding them in demiplanes, if possible), and then after 120 days you're basically invincible.

Not relevant for most groups, because 120 days is a long time in a game, but could make a very annoying NPC. You could even use it as a plot hook - so-and-so bad guy learned clone 100 days ago, you have 20 days to kill him before his dozens of clones start to mature and he becomes impossible to kill.

And yeah, becoming a lich is borderline useless when clone is avaliable. Besides, death knights have a better form of immortality anyway.
>>
>>46879434
Except gandalf the grey is the equal to a balrog and probably 2nd most powerful wizard in the land (after Sarumon). And again, respected as a powerful agent of god by all the NPC elf lords.

>>46879448
The rules only state subsequent. You can have your hex parked on a corpse for 50 minutes and transfer it in the last 10 if you want.

If your DM doesn't allow that, then you can carry a bag of starving rats with you and park the hex on a rat, which you then kill with a bonus action. (and if you're a fiend warlock, gain temporary hitpoints!)
>>
What would the most meme character be?

I'm thinking arcane trickster/fiend bladelock at the very least.

This gets you access to:

Mage hands dropping bags of daggers on people
Bags of rats for healing
A weapon that can constantly shift between glaives/polearms/halberds
>>
File: Marionettist.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Marionettist.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>46879529
>most meme character
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/08/marionettist.html

The most fun I've ever had.
>>
>>46879494
Pls don't bully rats
>>
>>46879631
What if I told you my character plans to replicate video related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKYkH8D1I9k
>>
>>46879529
>>46879494
Can we please stop with the stupid bag of rats meme? Even if it works RAW (which is debatable but I don't want to start that again) it's ridiculous and clearly against RAI and I wouldn't want to play with anybody who tries or allows it.
>>
>>46879789
Gotta love the fact that instead of just keeping the Bad of Rats clause from 4E, they just got lazy.

For those wondering, from Page 40 of the 4E DMG, under the heading "Legitimate Targets"

>When a power has an effect that occurs upon hitting a target—or reducing a target to 0 hit points—the power functions only when the target in question is a meaningful threat. Characters can gain no benefit from carrying a sack of rats in hopes of healing their allies by hitting the rats.
>>
>>46879857
>Choosing not to reprint a seemingly-needless explanation
>Apparently people needed it
The designers are clearly turning over in their graves right now.
>>
>>46879789
How is it against RAI though? The two features don't mention any sort of challenge required. And lore wise, it makes sense:

A fiend has granted you the power to gain health from killing things. So your character does something very fiendish: kills those things weaker than itself for personal gain.

A long death monk has learned through intense study of death to gain power from it. So he keeps a few things around he can easily kill.

Balance wise, what's the problem? They're temporary hitpoints, that you can usually only get once per round.

As a DM, I really see no problems with the bag of rats, either RAW, RAI, or lore wise. The only problem it has, that keeps getting it brought up is it tweaks your autism, and the autism of those like you, so the memesters do it to annoy you.

Which reminds me.

OFFICIAL 9GAG APPROVED MEME LIST

>King of the Memes for this thread
Bag of Rats

>The King's Noble Court
martials vs casters
glaives halberds and polearms
4 suits of plate armor
juggling daggers
bags of daggers
dragonborn are a meme race
bladelocks
cone of cold horse
generally trying to break the system
calling people you disagree with Virt
being Virt
DMs fudging rolls
Don't give advice to DMs if you haven't DM'd before
Players giving terrible advice to DMs

>the king's unfunny, ugly jester that everyone hates if you bring these memes up you're autistic
Calling beautiful, noble, fantastic warlock players edgy.
>>
>>46879891
>>46879857
>How is it against RAI?
>Because the designers literally said so
>>
>>46879917
>in a previous vastly different edition.
>>
>>46879341
>Which is why I suggested Scout. It gets basically that.

Oh God it's happening again.

>3.5
>Want to play basically Zorro, the iconic swashbuckler, using swashbuckler class
>"Anon, swashbuckler is a terrible class, you should play a swordsage instead."
>But I don't want to play that, I want to play a swashbuckler.
>"Lel n00bfag. Play a swordsage, it's better Tier-3 Master Race instead of stupid swashbuckler Tier-5 shit."

Particularly with regards to actual D&D novels, I'm of the strong opinion that if given character X is actually stated to be part of a given class Y, then X should be statted out with LEVELS IN THE CLASS HE IS OUTRIGHT STATED TO BELONG TO.
>>
>>46879891
You forgot Middle Finger of Vecna being both fantastic and shit. Which even as someone who uses their content, I have to agree. So fucking hit or miss. Ranging from fun to cringe, from almost unplayable to ridiculously strong.
>>
>>46879962
>swashbuckler is a terrible class

whaaaaa
>>
>>46879962
Except Aragorn does not match the Ranger as a DnD class, but does match a survival and stealth-focused Fighter. Which is literally what playing a Scout is all about.
>>
>>46879980
In 3.5 it was, but that's not the point. If I'm rolling up the iconic swashbuckler then I'm going to be rolling him up in the class designed with him in mind.

Similarly the ranger class in general, and the spell-less ranger in particlar, is entirely designed with Strider in mind (stated outright in the UA it appeared in). So it just doesn't make sense to me to not stat him out as a ranger.
>>
>>46879984
I mean, the Ranger class was literally based on him.
It's easier to understand if you keep in mind rangers could only cast druid spells, and casting a spell took about a minute. So getting down to the ground and listening quietly is a perfectly acceptable way of casting Speak With Nature, and Pass Without Trace doesn't necessarily require chanting, either. It's a subtle kind of magic, which makes sense in LotR.
Adding shit like Flame Blade to the Ranger's spell list certainly took it away from its roots, but I think it's still the right class. Some of what he does is downright supernatural.
>>
>>46879933
Different version of the same game. Hit points didn't change, reducing things to 0 didn't change, and effects based on that were essentially carried over into 5E from 4E. Why the hell would the intent behind them change?
>>
>all this talk of Scout

Is there a list somewhere with the not-Shit UA listed somewhere, or should we perhaps make one? Like stuff like the Scout and before SCAG was released the Swashbuckler. Excluding, of course, shit like the UA Ranger and the like.

>>46880038
I mean, a Rangerback in AD&D certainly was, but the 5E Ranger has about as much to do with Aragorn as it does the show Beastmaster. The modern Ranger is a lot different from its roots. Now it's a magic-casting, two-sword fighting archery master who normally shows up with a pet. There's a helluvah lot more going into the Ranger than just Strider now-a-days, and the Scout is a lot more true to that original inspiration without getting caught up in the clutter.
>>
>>46880056
Hitpoints did change. The balance of monster damage versus player health changed, as did the entire accuracy system (now it's bounded). Lots of that could justify letting bags of rats work, or going to a more ability specific ruling system.

Moreover, as far as I can tell WotC has declined to clarify with a sage advice or rules tweet, despite ample opportunity.
>>
>>46876247
Still looking for feedback on this.
>>
>>46879297
Literally no fucking difference. The first "Human" is an Aasimar, one of the Human fighters is a Half-Elf Ranger and the last of a great and illustrious lineage, the second human fighter is literally first in line for a throne.

The halflings are literally the only ones who are normal, and they'd be rogues.
>>
>>46879214
In his 3e build despite him being known as a Ranger Drizzt had nearly no actual Ranger levels at all in fact (only 2 or 3), to explain why he had no Ranger magic at all.
The rest was like 13 levels of Fighter and a few levels of Barbarian.
>>
>>46879240
Gandalf is an Aasimar Druid; most magic in Middle Earth is closer to druidic than arcane.

Aragorn is either a Half Elf Scout Fighter or Hunter Ranger.

Legolas is a Wood Elf Hunter or a Deep Stalker. Gimli is a Mountain Dwarf Fighter, not sure which kit. Boromir is a Human Banneret or Battlemaster.

The Hobbits are either various types of Rogues, or Frodo is a Mastermind with the Knight background.
>>
>>46880681
If Barbarian had Fighting Styles, you could roll him as a straight Totem Warrior with no issues.
>>
>>46880681
>to explain why he had no Ranger magic at all.

Which is not necessary in 5E, because we have the spell-less ranger.

For that matter we had it as of Complete Warrior in 3.5 as well...
>>
>>46880716
Why mastermind over thief?
>>
>>46879494
>Except gandalf the grey is the equal to a balrog and probably 2nd most powerful wizard in the land (after Sarumon).

Eh....Wizards don't work the same way in Tolkien at all.
They don't all have identical sets of abilities and powers like in the movie, and Saruman's primary power was his supernaturally potent charisma.
Which is why they just ended up locking him up inside a tower without even restraining him and he was effectively neutralized as a long-term threat.
>>
>>46878775
The clone spell.

This isn't even up for debate, it's an objective fact.
>>
>>46880749
Bilbo imo is a better thief. Frodo is too reliant on his buddies (which is why I'm making him a Knight), to a point where he's kind of aimless the moment they get lost.

Also it fits the kind of character it sounds like Tolkien intended, which is an military officer from the gentry.
>>
>>46879886
Well, the tail end of 3rd Edition attracted a lot of stupid people.
4th Edition was written for those stupid people.
They just forgot that the stupid people would still be pretending they liked DnD when 5th came out.
>>
>>46880606
>>46879297
Eh, I dunno if I'd even consider Gandalf a member of the party. He's more of a NPC that the DM used to help bring the party together and give them info about the setting before killing him off for dramatic effect and bringing him back when the party was splitting up in order to help boost the chunk of the party that was in the middle of the heaviest fighting.

And Aragorn isn't a Half-Elf, not enough of one to be represented mechanically. And he's the unknown heir, who only discovers it over the course of the adventure. Which is a pretty common trope at this point for fantasy. A lot more common than a lizardman inquisitor walking around not-Romania like its nothing. And when you're composing the party that literally holds the fate of the world in their hands, are you surprised that the son of the steward of the nation directly bordering the Big Bad sent someone?
>>
>>46880756
Frankly D&D is barely grounded in Tolkien at all. Its roots go more deeply into sword & sorcery pulp fiction.
>>
>>46880132
>The modern Ranger is a lot different from its roots.

ALL the classes are different from their roots. Gygax and Arnesson and may have borrowed the words but the actual functionality of these archetypes and classes are at this point completely different from Tokien's usage.

Let's take Ranger for example; first of all, they weren't actually called that. The folk of Bree and the old Arnor region called them "Rangers" because they moved around a lot, and it was implied by the way they used it that it was meant to be an INSULT. "Rangers" was just a term for the uneducated for the Dunedain of the North.
And they knew about woodcraft and hunting, but also war and battle and lordly behavior (they rode into battle as cavalry, remember). It was more that unlike everyone else in the Third Age they still held onto their noble roots and old knowledge (they were actually educated in other words) while everyone else forgot everything and relied in superstition. The "woodsman" part is just what the peasants believed because that was all they saw, but it was a minor part of who the Dunedain actually were, which the warrior-elite and noble class of a fallen kingdom with an appropriately advanced education.
>>
>>46880817
So what you're saying is that you're applying arbitrary narrative standards to one and not to the other.

If this world has lizardfolk in sufficient size to have nations, then it makes sense that lizardfolk travel around. Stop thinking of it as a nonsensical 1E "non humans are literally spawned all grown up by narrative convenience because the author can't think in terms other than human"
>>
>>46880867
Which goes back to the original point. If Aragorn doesn't have any of the 5e Ranger abilities in the novels or movie or anything, why would you make him a Ranger if you statted him in 5e?
>>
File: conan_521.jpg (56KB, 425x473px) Image search: [Google]
conan_521.jpg
56KB, 425x473px
>>46880830
How would you stat Conan in 5e?
>>
>>46880681
That has to do more with his history. He trained for most of his life as a fighter, then lived in the underdark's wilderness for a few years (and developed a rage that he rarely ever uses), then induced into rangerdom. By that point, his XP cost to go up another level were huge.

>>46880726
The question isn't what fits the capabilities of the character, but what path he took through life.

>>46880778
>Sam, Merry and Pippin are a class feature
I like it
>>
>>46880895
Champion Fighter, Thief Rogue. Charisma build.
>>
>>46880895
Probably Barbarian. Maybe a few levels in Fighter to reflect better fighting styles, maybe a level in Rogue to reflect him learning to become a thief (though that can be acquired via the Skilled feat or some other way of gaining proficiency with Stealth and Sleight of Hand).
>>
>>46880895
Either a Fighter with the Outlander backround or a Barbarian with a Mercenary Veteran background. Conan actually wore armor pretty much all the time in the literature.
Give him the Skilled feat at some point to help him learn the wide array of skills he picked up in his life.
>>
>>46880895
Urchin Barbarian with Martial Adept feat.
>>
>>46880876
So you're just ignoring the part of the Curse of the Crimson Throne group where
>this was for a campaign where the players are all supposed to be playing lifetime residents of a town that has 1% of its residents that aren't Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, or Half-Elves.

That party composition literally makes no sense for the AP. Korvosa is 90% human with the more normal subraces getting another 9%. The only place that those 'nations' of lizardfolk exist in Golarion are one and a half continents away. Not the members of a ghetto in Korvosa. Or anywhere in Varisia, for that matter.
>>
>>46880928
He never really had much in the way of sleight of hand skills, but he WAS very acrobatic and sneaky, as befitting the frequent "Panther-like" moniker given to him in action by Howard.
>>
>>46880895
High Charisma either Champion or Battlemaster Fighter. He's really a lot more calculated and cunning than would fit with 5E's Barbarian, despite the moniker.
>>
>>46880895
Athletics is a must, given how often his climbing ability came in handy. About the only thing we know about Cimmeria from the original Howard stories is that it's very mountainous, and Conan and all other Cimmerians could climb almost as early as they could walk.
>>
>>46880978
Champion's a good bet, given the versatility it gives you with physical skills. His physical skills were always exceptional.
>>
>>46880951
>Implying there couldn't be lizardfolk merchants who have kids while on the road
>Implying adventurers being part of that 1%-ish minority doesn't make sense
If you want to force your group to play exclusively level 1 human dirt peasants, it's up to you to be a passive aggressive dick. The fact is "lizardfolk" is less sue than "flawless ubermensch who is secretly the one true king the story revolves around" when it's rolled by a player.
>>
So I have the official /tg/ character sheet, but when i try to print it none of the lines in the boxes appear on the printed sheet. It wouldn't be a huge problem except that the entire box for weapons is entirely blank. Anyone know a fix or is it a problem with my printer?
>>
>>46881063
Not that anon, but I think the point is more that the LotR party has interesting variety despite being fairly non-exotic, while the Pathfinder party derives its differentiation from fancy classes and races instead of backstory and characterization.

Not that you can't have both, obviously.
>>
>>46881101
The problem with that is that it works of the basic implication that Tolkien's characterization was interesting for the most part.

The real party is the hobbits, surrounded by literal political giants of their world. On tabletop the humans, dwarves and elves would be largely the annoying NPCs who the DM keeps saddling your group with.

And hardly anyone has really ever accused Tolkien of being good at characterization outside of his precious hobbits. After 10, the main reason to read the LotR is the worldbuilding.
>>
What's the strongest thing you can True Polymorph into in 5e?

If not outright "strongest", what are some fun options?

Also would you let a player run an Oni who tags along with some adventurers for an easy meal?
>>
>>46881160
Have you even read the books? Gimli and Legolas are some of the funniest characters I've ever read, and their evolving friendship is fantastically-written. Boromir is a reluctant member of the party that wants to change its objectives but is willing to go along with its plan nonetheless (until the Enemy drives him mad). Aragorn is a total chill bro who lies around in the mud smoking a pipe when he could be living in luxury.

Granted, the movies take all of that characterization and treat it with about as much subtlety as Fizban treating a locked cage, but I'm going to assume you're not making assumptions based on the movies.
>>
File: 1449438188350.png (422KB, 710x1391px) Image search: [Google]
1449438188350.png
422KB, 710x1391px
I don't have any substantial tabletop RPG experience and want to try it out. Is heading to my FLGS for Adventurer's League a good idea? How does that stuff work? Do I make up a character beforehand, and if so, do I just follow 5e's chargen rules to make a lvl 1 character? If anybody has experience with just showing up at a game shop for AL, do you have any advice?
>>
>>46880830
D&D didn't find it's roots/inspiration in Tolkien, but his works have heavily influenced the development of the game since it's beginning.
>>46880895
I haven't read too much Conan, but from what I've read straight barbarian doesn't seem like too much of a stretch.

He just needs a background that gives him proficiency in stealth.
>>
>>46881101
It is pretty sad that nowadays most RPG groups get saddled with the thought that "I can't play something interesting and varied without some random exotic race." Luckily, my groups have never really had that issue. Hell, the last five or six campaigns have more or less been nothing but humans and half-elves, with the occasional other race. A single gnome, a tiefling, a couple dwarves, and an elf. Current composition -- plus retired characters is...
>Young human noblewoman warlock
>Terrifying human marionettist / serial killer / babysitter
>Swarmy human thief focused solely on coin
>Gnomish illusionist and retired adventurer who got roped back with by a seemingly innocuous task
>Human antiquarian possessed by the spirit of a long-dead Pharaoh
>Human monk enjoying a break from the monastic lifestyle like an Amish on rumspringa
>Human(?) from a distant land who communicates with the party in short crude statements in Common
>Tiefling warlock that's rarely present
>>
>>46881307
Sounds like your party needs a little cultural enrichment. :^)
>>
>>46881212
>What's the strongest thing you can True Polymorph into in 5e?

Anything CR 20. In other words: Pit Fiends or Ancient White & Brass dragons. Honourable mention for the CR 19 Balor.
>>
>>46881307
I really don't get why picking a core race other than human and half-elf triggers so much autism in grogs. I've literally ran nearly full elf/dwarf parties in 2E and had a blast, and an all-tiefling game of Planescape that turned into running a merchant company in Amn. Literally the problem is always player-dm communication.
>>
>>46881349
Unless your DM let's you age/establish a lair. Then you can be true polymorphed into pretty much anything I think.
>>
>>46881350
Those aren't the problem races (for me, at least). The problem races are half-lizardfolk shadowcats with the half-undead template that seem to be fairly common in Pathfinder.

But I admit I do like the party composition to fit my idea of the narrative. So if they come from a small human community, at least half should be human. If the adventure takes place in Morrowind, there should be a few dark elves. And so forth.

>>46881335
>Implying monolithic races
>>
>had to retcon Lorghoth the Decayer in the Death House murdering my party because it didn't realize that by "any creature" for the altar it means animals too

I just kind of assumed a human eating cult would only really want like... people. Does anyone else have any situations like that? I feel like a big goof
>>
>>46881350
Eh, for me and my group, it's more of just what seems appropriate for the setting. Like, an all-tiefling game makes tons of sense for a Planescape game. But the same can't be said for Dark Sun or Eberron or something else. We always tend to come together and build our characters as a group, which helps to likewise build some actual relationships to the characters. I mean, it's not as in-depth as something like Beyond the Wall which we also play.
>>
>>46881442
The darksun equivalent of all Tiefling would be like, all Trikreen or all Genasi (which were afair accepted as a race in 2E material)

>>46881404
FWIW I hate the glut of templates, mostly because tacking them on willy-nilly to anything is silly. That said I kinda hope they release an Undead PCs UA conversion of Ravenloft's Necropolis rules.
>>
How do you handle animals /tg/?

I'm a rogue, but I want to used trained pidgeons, rats, etc, to accomplish things like delivering messages, or setting strange traps for enemies.
>>
>>46880038
>the Ranger class was literally based on him
Ranger back in the old days was an entirely different beast than it is now though, wasn't it?
>>
After seeing the airship art thread a few threads down I kinda want to run an airship pirate game. Anyone got any experience with that?
>>
What is the difference between the following?

- Demipower/Power
- Demigod/Demipower
- Exarch
- Overgod
- Primordial
- Estelar
- Archomental
- Archfiend
- Archdevil
- Duke of Hell
- Baernoloths
- Abyssal Lord
- Demon Lord
- Obyrith Lord
- Celestial Paragon
- Archon Paragons/The Celestial Hebdomad
- Eladrin Paragons
- The Court of Stars
- Guardinal Paragons/Talisid and the Five Companions
- Slaad Lords
- Titans
>>
>>46881568
AD&D ranger got slow progression Druid casting at level 8. It also got tracking (in 2 free Tracking NWP iirc, with Ranger-specific bonuses). The 1E ranger had a bonus to fighting giants and goblinoids. The 2E ranger gained favored enemy and was one of the classes that were considered pros as dual wielding (Bard and Thief were the other dual wielders in 2E, with both getting a kit that had free Dual wielding mastery as options)
>>
>>46881549
Be a wizard and get a familiar
>>
>>46881677
Already planning on getting find familiar, but I want more.
>>
>>46881568
Don't know if I'd say it was an ENTIRELY different beast (sick pun btw). It was always a dual-wielding warrior, less armored than the fighter, with nature-themed magic (literally druid spells originally). It has evolved somewhat but it's actually fairly close to its roots (except for the kinds of spells it gets).

>>46881673
Basically this. Except you didn't need kits to dual-wield with a ranger, and only warriors got extra attacks, so it was extra-pimp at it.

>>46881666
DependsOnSetting.(you) desu
>>
How does an oathbreaker paladin run compared to a standard paladin path? They seem to be more debuff and minion focused.
>>
>>46881744
They are kinda kool. If you can find a wight you become very minion focused because you can dominate undead at a very early level IIR.
>>
How would you go about running a Sword and Planet 5e game?
>>
>>46881824
Try to find one of the spelljammer conversions floating around online?

The fuck is sword and planet?
>>
>>46881824
DnD with space travel and dune energy shields.

There's an elf planet, a human planet, a dwarf planet, etc
>>
>>46881549
Animal Handling skill checks, if the animals are already trained and domesticated it's lot easier.

I don't think I'd require an Animal Handing check for a pigeon going back home.
>>
>>46881824
>Run 5e
>Use lazer guns in DMG
>Call non-humans aliens
>Drink a beer
>>
>>46881843
>sword and planet

Think Princess of Mars. Anachronistic technology in space and alien worlds.
>>
>>46881922
Oh. Yeah, just get one of the spelljammer conversions, look at Beyond the Moons for some of the setting material, especially the stuff that improves the Scro and Elven Empire fluff.
>>
>>46881631
It attracts weeb asspies to the group, don't do it.
>>
>>46881944
I'll be playing with people I know and have played with in the past, that's not really a concern.
>>
>>46881666
>>46881719
I am assuming Forgotten Realms D&D 5th edition,
>>
File: heydoderrydomotherfucker.jpg (109KB, 1000x763px) Image search: [Google]
heydoderrydomotherfucker.jpg
109KB, 1000x763px
>>46879169
Truth.
>>
>>46881843
>>46881937

Spelljammer has this weird thing going on with crystal spheres and shit I don't like very much.
>>
>>46879789
I love how bag o rats tricks require rats not acting like real rats.>>46879789
>>
>>46879965
>middle finger of vecna
explain?
>>
>>
>>46882008
Nah. A DMPC needs to be a nominal member of the party. Tom Bombadil is a deus ex machina NPC who saves the characters from TPK and gives them magic weapons to make sure they don't wipe again in the future.
>>
File: 1460891588472.jpg (246KB, 627x502px) Image search: [Google]
1460891588472.jpg
246KB, 627x502px
>>46881212
>>46881349
>>46881387
not same anon, but what's the strongest thing you can polymorph if limited to CR 10 or lower?
>>
>>46882181
Young red/gold dragon for offense and mobility. Stone golem for defense. Aboleth if underwater.
Devas are also very powerful.
>>
>>46882181
Just look at creatures that are CR 10 or lower. If any of them get stronger as they age, or have the ability to establish a lair then you can use them to gain power. Your DM won't allow those shenanigans, but whatever.
>>
>>46882181
And if you are using polymorph, instead of true polymorph, then the answer is T-Rex.
>>
While we're on the subject of polymorph: there a place yet where one can get a printable (ie clean, not the parchment look of the actual MM) version of statblocks from the MM?
>>
>currently thinking about major antagonists
>they're all really not even veiled at all historical characters
Right now I'm thinking of starting them with the Witchfinder General, except upgraded with absolute executive power to carry on his shit, as main early antagonist.
>>
Someone have a DPS chart of the Fighter, Barbarian and Paladin?
>>
>>46882255
Wait, polymorph is just beasts, isn't it?
T-Rex then. Barring that, giant ape or mammoth. Giant shark for a swim speed, giant eagle if you need to fly.
>>
Are the DnD novels any good? Keep in mind I'm a tasteless pleb only looking for comfy reading material.
>>
>>46883023
I finished listening to The Crystal Shard recently, I liked it overall.
My only gripe was the narrator, she sounds like Trisha Takanawa and can be a a little flat sometimes.
>>
Any of you used modern weapons before? I never read the DMG before and I never knew they had rules for it
>>
How do warlock patrons work exactly?

How does a creature magically create a warlock? Could a wizard learn a spell to do it?
>>
>>46883152
It's a really powerful ancient being that gives you magical power in exchange for something
>>
>>46883162
But how?
>>
Lads I'm what you would call a "Chad", but I've always wanted to get into D&D but have hidden this desire from my friends. Going to secretly go to my local place to play now, and I'm nervous to be honest. Will the nerds there accept me?
>>
>>46882713
>DPS
It's DPR, newfriend.

Fighter is the martial damage king, simply because of extra attacks, action surge and SUP-dice/Crit. GWF/SS feats are a huge source of their damage as well.

Rogue does the second most damage, if you can get sneak attacks on your reactions. Surprise rounds are also a lot easier to get, and that's a huge increase in total damage dealt, no matter the class.

Paladins can do decent damage, but they need to multi-class to really shine. Champ 3/Vengeance Paladin X is a good multi-class, whenever you crit, use a smite for big damage. You'll also be on your smart-ass mount whenever you're not dungeon crawling, which is a better companion than what the beast master gets.

Pure barbarians flat-line in terms of DPR after low levels, they do much better as meatshields, specifically bear totem.
>>
File: 1415763702360.jpg (299KB, 1037x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1415763702360.jpg
299KB, 1037x1500px
>>46878775
Don't get into the bag. Never get into the bag.
>>
File: dmdk.jpg (26KB, 396x287px) Image search: [Google]
dmdk.jpg
26KB, 396x287px
What setting do you guys run/play in?
>>
>>46883162
Could Eliminister make someone a warlock?
>>
>>46883231
I have a similar problem. None of my friends know like tabletop games. I feel like they might like it but I'm low key too afraid to ask them to play a game with me.

The nerds at your local place will probably accept you especially if you know what you're doing
>>
>>46883148
The modern weapons section in the DMG is really kind of shit and makes me wonder what kind of jackass wrote it. I swear they nerf guns every edition.
>>
>>46883271
Mostly the GM's homebrews.
>>
>>46883304
Elminster would make someone a Wizard. On the other hand, some warlocks are powerful enough in their own right to become warlock patrons.
>>
>>46883345
Yeah the damage seemed really low. If I wanted to run any of the renaissance tier weapons would it be balanced if I doubled damage but also reload time?
>>
>>46883379
It forces a specific gameplay style but if your players are okay with it, it can work.

My only bug with them is their retardedly short ranges compared to crossbows, which they should be equal or superior to.
>>
>>46883366
Would you allow someone to setup their own warlock cult?
>>
>>46883366
>some warlocks are powerful enough in their own right to become warlock patrons.
Sounds like that might be open for some extreme exploitation. The idea of subcontractor warlocks is kinda cool, though.
>>
>>46883366
>warlocks are powerful enough in their own right to become warlock patrons

Only at level 20 when they basically become their patron-tier powerful would I allow this
>>
>>46883435
>warlock pyramid schemes
>>
>>46883435
I remember seeing a world building thread way back about a setting where every character was a warlock. Everyone was contracted to a patron of some sort. It was fun talking about the sociology of a world like that. It sorta derailed into talking about unionization and syndicalist warlocks.
>>
>>46883464
>Making everything a capstone ability at level 20.
Capstone abilities are retarded. Playing at level 20 isn't balanced anymore and isn't fun.
>>
>>46883464
I would say "depends on the setting"

A low-power world, I might consider a warlock cult possible around levels 11+ or 16+. But it would have stronger involvement of the original patron, most likely.
>>
>>46883550
I like basing stuff off of E6. So, a weak version of that might start at level 7 and a more powerful version at level 13 might happen.
>>
>>46883527
>>46883550
I feel like the Patron would never let the warlock be more powerful than him, but the warlock could get closer to the patron and act more as a direct agent the higher his level was

so in that case instead of creating another warlock he would be recruiting people to serve the same Patron
>>
>>46883464
I can think of other ways. Like, if the original pact was negotiated to allow subcontractors. Or if a subcontractor warlock doesn't have access to the full range of abilities that their parent contractor has.
>>
>>46883231
RPG groups love a good face to look at, just don't get too flirty or touchy at the table, save that for the post-game pint. RPG gamers are a lot more sociable than T.V stereotype, almost all the GMs at my hobby shop are /fit/.
>>
>>46883473
>>46883506
This might be a fun idea for a sort of apocalypse scenario. Pact patrons build up their followings by binding warlocks to them and then letting those warlocks bind new followers to themselves. Most people might be reluctant to sell themselves to some magical being, but if someone who's used to having oaths of loyalty directed at them becomes a warlock and does some shit like start up a knightly order or a fraternal organization where the initiation oath is worded to make you enter into a pact under a warlock, that could stir up some shit.
>>
>>46882082
How so?
>>
>>46883599
It really depends. If your patron is relatively weak it's possible that you eventually outgrew its powers.

After all, you're not a cleric gaining spells from a god. Your magic is ultimately taught, and part of you, just that the patron, somehow, awakened the spark.

>>46883527
Yeah, that's like AD&D name level druid progression, imo this shit should be down to the setting. In Birthright you were an archmage at level 7 after a donation to one of the colleges, in FR you were barely that at level 15+.

I like having a movable capstone though, especially since 5E actually delineates its tiers of play pretty well.

>>46883231
My current group is pretty much atypical geeks who care a lot about fashion (one of the players is a couture geek) and personal appearance. So it's not like people will always resent you, Phantom of the Opera-like, for being a pretty face.
>>
File: MonstersDroppingGoldandrings.gif (98KB, 800x974px) Image search: [Google]
MonstersDroppingGoldandrings.gif
98KB, 800x974px
>>46882412
anyone know?
>>
>>46883993
WotC keeps that under lock and key. the closest I've found is either orcpub, which only has the ones included in free materials, but has stat blocks and everything, or koboldfightclub, which has a sortable list of monsters and page number references, but no stat blocks.
>>
How would you react if the BBEG's final goal was to create a world where he and all his evil allies were good guys (in charge of most of the world, but still good and actually pretty nice guys), most of the party had good things happen to them, and nearly everyone knows magic of some sort?
The catch is there are no elves, dwarves, or orcs, and everyone's memories are rewritten to fit the new setting. Also everyone he hated in life is basically kicked into an empty demiplane (which probably includes you, if you're not part of his new order).
>>
>>46884046
It didn't sound good with Tengen Toppan Uchiha Madara, wielder of the 7 dragonballs and owner of both the Demonbane Mecha and the Getsuga Bankai proposed it, and it certainly doesn't sound good when your bbeg proposes it. Get em!
>>
>>46884046
I would refuse to take him seriously from that point on and openly question his sexual orientation at every possible opportunity.
>>
>>46884170
Thought so.
He and his posse are just deluded enough to think it's a good idea and enough to excuse all the terrible shit they've done.
>>
>>46882412

This might be of use to you:

http://hardcodex.ru/monsters/
>>
What do you do if Tempter Arabelle is the chosen Strahd's Enemy? Train her?
>>
File: 1424322843202.png (111KB, 279x359px) Image search: [Google]
1424322843202.png
111KB, 279x359px
>>46884473
that is exactly what I need. many thanks, anon.
>>
>>46882412

The "printer friendly" version of the free basic rules DMG has many but not all of the creatures in the Monster Manual without all the background jazz.

You can find it on the WoTC website.

Right here in fact.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules
>>
Still looking for some feedback on this. Would really appreciate even harsh criticism.

tl;dr, I have made a "Ranger" archetype for the Barbarian and Rogue to replace the main Ranger class. I think it still needs work. What do you guys think?
>>
>>46884608
The Web versions are never going to get updated, are they?
>>
>>46884638
With a 1/3 caster list, the Barbarian archetype would work okay as the Gish Barbarian.

Rogue is okay for a wilderness scout.

Hunter and Deep Stalker are still, imo, good enough archetypes for the Ranger as a class to not go as far as removing it altogether.
>>
>>46884698
But Deep Stalker is OP.
>>
>>46885001
That's why it's UA.

Isn't it a straight 2E kit conversion based on Stalker?
>>
>>46885050
No idea. But I've met no one who'd allow it as is, and that tells me it's not a good way to fix Ranger.
>>
>>46885001
>Deep Stalker is OP
Wut? what are you smoking? it's in the same level as Hunter, let me guess, you didn't even read it or try it, am I right?
>>
>>46885001
Isn't Deep Stalker just a toned down Ambuscade Ranger?
>>
Pic related: if you have SketchUp 2015 you can download the exterior of Castle Ravenloft I've thrown together, along with a catacombs that's at least accurate if not yet complete. Next step: the aboveground interiors.

https://mega.nz/#fm/XVY2jSYA
>>
Crossposting this with /sss/, someone wanted to see it, and it's more /5eg/ than /sss/. Some homebrew for a custom campaign setting starting with the Lizardmen, although the crunch is generally usable for any Lizardmen in any other Campaign Setting. Feedback appreciated!
>>
>>46886118
> you didn't even read it or try it, am I right?
Not at all. I read everything related to 5e thoroughly, and though I haven't personally played it, I have never met someone who thought Deep Stalker was balanced.
>>
File: wat.gif (776KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
wat.gif
776KB, 245x180px
>>46886589
>I read everything related to 5e thoroughly, though I haven't personally played it
>>
>>46883209
Trade your soul to a demon for power sort of thing.
>>
>>46886589
3rd feature is +10 to speed and 1 extra attack on the first turn of combat. Not better than extra attack on all turns if you pick horde. Then you have hide as a bonus action 1/3 of what cunning action does.

At 3rd level, and in some other levels, you also get extra known spells, all of them are utility and nice, but nothing broken.

At 7th you gain wis save, good feature.

At 11th if you miss an attack you get an extra attack, only once per turn and only on your turn. Hunter has either 8 melee attacks or even more ranged attacks depending if you chose whirlwind or volley.

At 15th you give disadvantage, as long as they don't have advantage, on one attack as reaction. The brokest Sarcasm

Again, why do you think this is OP? because it's stronger than beastmaster? well, Hunter is too, because is stronger than Hunter? not at all, it's on the same level
>>
I just dug up the Candlekeep fansite (and through it, numerous other settings' fansites). Holy shit, there are sections of those websites that haven't been touched since 1995! Supposedly, it's still updated, though.

The one for Mystara, interestingly enough, still has an active community, and the latest issue of their fanzine was published a few days ago.

I encourage you guys to check that stuff out, shit's unreal.
>>
>>46887109
>The one for Mystara, interestingly enough, still has an active community

Pandius? Yeah, shit's weird.

>Haha I remember this website. Looks like it hasn't been updated in years! Let's see when the last update was...

>10 April 2016
>>
>>46886741
Not that anon, but I'm well versed in a number of systems: CoC, FFG Star Wars, Dungeonscape, Dark Heresy.

All prep work for games I couldn't get my party to play.
At least we play 5e instead of 3.5 now
>>
>>46887156
People still update the Birthright wiki, which itself was made years after the setting died.

The only major setting official fansites that are really mostly dead are, ironically, the ravenloft ones (Kargatane's been dead since 3E started, Fraternity of Shadows' last update is early 2010s)
>>
Could anyone recommend me a good pre-written quest for 1st level characters? Maybe something out of the adventurers league?

My first session as DM is coming up and I have to introduce the system to new players.
I was thinking Defiance in Phlan? It seems to have a nice balance of things to do and good hooks
>>
>>46887433
The intro quests from AL are okay.

If you want, old Dungeon mags had a shit ton of level 1-2 starter adventures, often pretty well made, which would require fairly low effort to convert from 2nd or 3rd edition.
>>
>>46887156
>>46887343
Yeah. I was going through Candlekeep's fansites list and trying out the links and it was just... saddening. Not in a "this is so lame" way, but in a mournful way. And I wasn't even aware of the RPG hobby (or born, in some cases) when they were in their respective heydays, so it's not like I lost something.

Some of the stuff was on Geocities. The golden age has truly ended.
>>
>>46887433
Deep Carbon Observatory
>>
>>46887520
I remember trawling this shit at like 7-8 just before we got a reliable internet connection. So many memories.

I discovered D&D from browsing about cute girly shit like fairies and stuff and it just kind of became a thing.
>>
>>46887623
I really admire those guys keeping Mystara alive. The site I mentioned links to another fellow's personal blog that has even MORE content, last updated in February.

That's really cute.
>>
>>46887538
This seems really cool, how hard would the conversion work be? I'm not familiar with LotFP beyond the name
>>
>>46887758
Since it's 5E and recently updated, check this out:

http://pandius.com/Players_Guide.pdf

I hope Wizards strikes a deal with these guys, in the same way they did with Dark Sun for 4E.
>>
>>46887812
All the statblocks read something like:

> Corpse-Fat-Toads. (Armor: as leather, HD 2, HP 16, move 5' d6 bite)

The armor is meant to be descriptive, so "as leather" means the same as a dex 10 human in leather armor, AC 11. HD is a shorthand for figuring out attack bonuses and saving throws, so treat HD2 as being a creature with a proficiency bonus like a 2nd level character. Hit points are hit points.

Any time you're converting OSR stuff to 5e the real trick is when the text calls for a saving throw (save vs. paralysis, save vs. wand, etc). I just take ye old saving throw table from the 1st level BECMI fighter and use those as my converted DCs:

> Death Ray or Poison: 12
> Magic Wands : 13
> Paralysis or Turn to Stone: 14
> Dragon Breath: 15
> Rods, Staves, or Spells: 16

and key the save to whichever stat feel appropriate (save vs. death ray or lose a hand as the lock's trap springs a mini guillotine? dc 12 Dex save). Anything that's "save or die" instead becomes "save or several-d6 damage" unless something more thematically-appropriate strikes me. I don't recall Deep Carbon Observatory having any actual explicit save-or-die situations.
>>
>>46888041
Good advice but I wouldn't even go that far for the saving throws. Read page 121 of the 5E DMG. Is the trap (or whatever) a setback, dangerous, or deadly? There's your DC and damage. You could even stick with 10, 15, and 20 for the DCs.
>>
>>46888133
I think there's a significant design decision to be made in a trap beyond how dangerous it's supposed to be. Some traps are easy to avoid but spell doom for those who fall into them (low DC, heavy consequences). Others are a reliable nuisance, difficult to avoid but not terribly dangerous (high DC, low stakes). This was part of the built-in assumption with oldschool saving throws (saving versus death is your easiest save).

When I'm writing up my own stuff I like to factor in how severe a trap is along with how obvious it is and how easy it is to avoid. If it seems blatantly unfair after taking those into account, I tone down one or more factor.
>>
>>46879251
I've heard of this, but not in-depth
elaborate?
>>
>>46879448
s a c k o f r a t s
>>
File: fuck.jpg (58KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
58KB, 500x332px
Could the average lich become a warlock patron?
Considering making something based around pic related
>>
>>46888605
the undying pact talks about liches as patrons. whether any random lich could be a patron is up to your DM.
>>
>>46888735
>Macbeth and Ophelia as Undying Locks to the ghost of their father
>>
>>46889000
>tfw you're a moron
I meant Hamlet.
>>
>>46888284
Well the DCs in the table on page 121 are ranges, not fixed values. I'm saying you could use 10, 15, and 20 if you're feeling lazy.

Of course even the official traps have different DCs and damage and effects.

This is just a very simple way to convert things. Take the dart trap from the start of B4 The Lost City. That's about a "setback" so you might call it a DC 10 Dexterity save and 1d10 damage. Or from the same table you could call it a +3 attack roll for 1d6 (a spear's) damage. Even the official adventures mix this up a bit.

Then you have something like the door handle from Tower of the Stargazer. That's definitely "deadly", so that's a DC 20 Constitution save or 4d10 damage (half as much on a successful save). The intent remains intact, but it's not automatically forcing someone to write up another 5E character sheet.
>>
>>46881881
The alien technology rules are awesome, btw. Very simple, clean, and effective.
>>
File: laststep.png (524KB, 1000x1294px) Image search: [Google]
laststep.png
524KB, 1000x1294px
>>46881824
Got you covered in a single page.
>>
>>46882773
You're thinking druid's beast shape, True Polymorph is anything.
>>
>>46889535
Polymorph is beast only, higher level polymorph spells expand the options.
>>
>>46881666
Hokay, let me try to unpack some of these. Gods and powers are the same thing; they're just more likely to be called powers in Planescape. Demigods have some divine power of their own but not enough to grant spells to their worshippers. Exarchs are what were called proxies in Planescape, beings chosen to be some particular deity's most powerful champion and given lots of power to enforce that deity's philosophy. Overgods are beings a level above gods; they don't grant spells and don't require mortal worship. Primordials are a 4e thing and basically take the place of the Titans in Greek myth or the frost giants in Norse myth: the ones who had all the power before the gods took their place. What counts as "arch" for a planar being, whether a fiend or a celestial or whatever, is that they're powerful enough to be unique and not just part of a component species like balors or solars. The fiends and celestials who hold leadership over their respective planes, or parts of them, are called various things depending on the plane, like lords of the nine, demon princes, the celestial hebdomad, the nine companions, and the court of stars.
>>
>>46889000
>>46889151
Heh, a cross-story campaign featuring shakespeares all-stars (Macbeth, Hamlet, Oberon, Romeo & Juliette etc.) all mucking about could be fun
>>
>>46889564
>>46889535
No, true polymorph is a thing. Casting regular old polymorph at higher levels does nothing.
>>
>>46889600
>titania and oberon
>CN eladrins with a hateboner for each other
>>
>>46887820
>Dark Sun in 4e
Tell me more about this "deal" you speak of.
>>
File: voodoo.jpg (32KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
voodoo.jpg
32KB, 526x526px
Epic 6 in 5e, yea or nay?

I've run my campaign until the PCs are level 12, and things are starting to feel too high-level and silly.

I'm considering doing e6 for my next campaign. Capping the level for mortals at 6, letting them slowly learn more feats and so forth after that, but not letting them get absurdly superhuman. Good idea, or should I just use a different system?
>>
Well, today was my first day in a campaign that started last week, and it was pretty fucking sweet
>campaign apparently turned into a pirate adventure after the first session
>my character wakes up below deck, and unwitting stowaway after a night of drinking, wakes up and is detained, questioned etc by the rest of the party, eventually set free when it becomes clear he's useful
>backstory is amnesia and unexplained powers(way of the long death monk, he's trying to discover where he came from and who he used to be), with a wealthy and influential criminal sending people after him
>sailing to a tropical island, getting a couple days away from port, notice a shadow in the water, warn the captain. turns out its a fucking kraken, shitstorm ensues
>kraken begins trying to eat the boat, loses a few tentacles to cannon fire, grabs me and is going to eat me, i wriggle free and land on its head, and go to attack it in the eyes
>first attack roll, nat 20, pops that eye wide open, backflip across to its other eye, smack it, pop flurry of blows, another nat 20
>big ugly fucker decides hes had enough, and fucks off, only to be caught straight in the head with a broadside and brought down
DM said after it was a kraken with its stats halved, but w/e, it was fucking awesome
>>
>>46889938
I think he meant 3.5. There was no official Dark Sun supplements for 3.5, but there was a fan site that was sort of pseudo official. 4E got official Dark Sun material.
>>
>>46889951
E6 imo doesn't work well in 5E because the power levels are already really low.

If you assume the highest powered, non heroic NPC is about on the level of a weaker level 5 PC, level 10 makes a good soft cap, since most classes get a really good feature at that point, significant archetype definition, and it has a generally heroic feel.
>>
>Tired of being the guy who picks class last so the party has some semblance of balance
>Pick a Wizard first because someone else always does
>Someone makes a sorcerer
>Someone makes a tomelock
>Someone makes a ranged rogue
>Someone makes a ranged ranger
This should go well
>>
>>46867711
Breaking a grapple is str or dex against enemy str. Takes an action.

Shoving is str against enemy str or dex, if enemy is not more than one size larger than you, and takes one attack if your attack action allows multiple attacks.

NPCs usually use multiattack so they don't have this option anyway. So that's the difference.
>>
>>46890107

You think so? I'm having trouble designing encounters for the party at level 12. They've got shitloads of tools to trivialize non-combat problems, they annihilate things several CR above them, most of the monster manual is obsolete. They're a lot stronger than I expected them to be at this level. I'm having to beef up everything in my campaign plan because, apparently, CR don't mean shit.
>>
>>46890186
Like what exactly?

Also a party that covers each other's weaknesses well should be able to handle things at their CR.
>>
>>46890065
This.

I thought Wizards reincorporated some of the athas.org material back into 4E, but it seems like they went back to the 2E sources.

Now I really, really want to play 4E Dark Sun.
>>
File: Capture.png (6KB, 261x147px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6KB, 261x147px
>level 7 party
If you get tired of DMing just fucking cancel the game instead of wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>46890256
>but it seems like they went back to the 2E sources.
I think they even reverted some 2E changes.

I'm especially glad that they ignored Athas.org stuff, because while the supplements were okay, Dregoth ascendant was a turd.
>>
>>46889951
>things are too high level and silly
Rein in the power of spells, because I'm not buying that it's just the Fighter's third attack doing this.
>>
>>46890322
The spells, by RAW, shouldn't even be that powerful. If you're letting a 5E party scry and spank at any level, you're definitely not reading the spell descriptions well.
>>
How are the UA psionics in practice? Broken at all or anything? The guy who wants to play it probably won't go out of his way to minmax the shit out of it and pick only the best talents and disciplines if that means anything
>>
>>46890249

Sorry, gotta go, thanks for replying. Always nice to have some people in the thread discussing stuff and helping folks, rather than just yelling.
>>
>>46890127
You poor bastard.

This is why I encourage character creation as a group.
>>
File: 1456953281362.jpg (65KB, 541x625px) Image search: [Google]
1456953281362.jpg
65KB, 541x625px
>>46890271
hey, it could always be fucking worse. Our DM pit us against a pit fiend who cast darkness on themselves alongside like 6 bone devils, then a balor, then a glabrezu, all without so much as a short rest. while we were short on players, against a level 8-9 party. He apparently belived we should have been able to survive that encounter normally, and got mad he had to adjust it so much, instead of just not fucking doing it or ret-conning it ever happening when people were dying from 1hko's every round.
>>
>>46890256

4e Dark Sun was a lot of fun. It had rules for non-metal weapons that were not just 'Life sucks' and your weapon breaks all the bloody time.

Basically: If you rolled a 1 on an attack roll, you could get a reroll if you wanted. If you missed? Your weapon broke if it was non-metal. Metal weapons could reroll 1s without risking breaking.

That and rules for Defiling that worked out pretty well. Doing Necrotic damage to allies and neutral stuff in an area around you for a free reroll on an arcane power. There was an Epic Destiny that removed 'Allies' from that so you became a necrotic shitting blight to enemies and allies alike if you drew deep on magic.
>>
File: the absolute madbabi.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
the absolute madbabi.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>46890506
There's only one solution to Defilers.
>>
File: Capture.png (7KB, 274x167px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
7KB, 274x167px
>>46890483
It got worse.
>>
>Tfw you're digging up 2E kits to see which might be interesting for your game, using Kits of Old as a guide

I like what the fighter kits did by remixing superiority die into themed archetypes.
And I think I have a player sold on Swords.
>>
>>46890556

Heh. I feel like Primal really came into it's own as a power source come Dark Sun too. Mostly because in Arthas it's a much more concrete thing than 'Like Divine Magic but Plantier'
>>
>not taking over a dungeon and spreading propaganda saying an evil dragon with a massive hoard lives there and then ambushing their shit in
>not becoming the Tucker's Kobolds yourself

Do you guys even D&D?
>>
Also do people ever do themed spell lists?

Like, not by school necessarily (that counts too) but shit like Sorcerer or Bard with mostly (or strictly) spells that are duplicates of the Druid list?
>>
>>46890628
>needing to ambush adventurers when there are plenty of evil fucks that will attack you anyway

>cleared some bandits out of an old keep
>went into the ruins below and kicked the hornet's nest that was the subterranean cult
>waited for them to try and get revenge on us in our "sleep" and come charging up the secret passages
>dozens of cultists stuck in narrow passages, stabbing themselves on caltrops, screaming in vain for the pack to back up as burning oil comes rushing down
>put the word out that we're going to rebuild the keep and are looking to hire a shitload of help
>turn away everyone that shows up
>tell them they can have a job in a month, give them an advance on their pay if they agree to go back to town and brag about their great new job
>other evil dickweasels hear that the fort is just crawling with shitty daylaborers
>they show up to find the gate wide open
>except there are no laborers
>and the gate closes behind half of them
>surprise, it's the badass adventuring party and a retinue of knights from the nearby order
>kick the shit out of them and then bring the laborers in to fix everything up
>make deals with the owner of the largest construction company in Yartar
>Dickweasel Attack 2: Cultist Boogaloo back and with a vengeance
>except the fort is operating at full capacity now and they are once again completely unprepared for the fact that the party was hiding in the woods behind them the whole time, not in the keep itself
>>
>>46890354
pretty cool though they only go up to level 10 at the moment.
>>
>>46890998
>groups making it past 10
he he he
>>
>>46881307
>Human antiquarian possessed by the spirit of a long-dead Pharaoh
Dude better be good at card games.
>>
>>46891088
thanks, had missed that one
>>
Anybody have experience running multiple DMs in one campaign?
>>
File: qrkx5messu0hweahnzr6[1].png (339KB, 680x440px) Image search: [Google]
qrkx5messu0hweahnzr6[1].png
339KB, 680x440px
>>46890805
>tfw you'll never have a smart group like this
>>
>running CoS
>players arrive at Old Bonegrinder
>level 1
>Morgantha offers them some pastries
>One player eats it, becomes lost in trance
>Other players want to make business with the hag, decide to keep the other pastry for later
>Fighter climbs to second floor, witnesess other hag killing a child to grind his body
>Decides to start a battle
>Morgantha notices
>Think "well, this'll be a TPK"
>Suddenly first PC in round goes "im gonna grab the hag outside the mill"
>Second one goes "and I'll shove the pastry im her mouth"

It's the first time I've awarded inspiration for such brilliance.
>>
Alright TG, one of my players is gonna be running a campaign soon and all the others already have their characters set, so there will be a rogue, a sorcerer, a bard and a warlock

So I need to be a straight-up facepuncher, manly man type

And I'm torn between:
>Goliath barbarian/rogue/battlemaster

And

>Variant human champion or battlemaster fighter

Which of these would be the manliest way to keep my poor squishable party from getting their shit pushed in?
>>
>>46891500
Battlemaster is by far the only interesting non rogue martial.
>>
>>46891500
Barbarian, unarmored defense, go ham.

Or variant human Barbarian with GWM feat and at level two you'll be dusting foes while still being bulky as fuck raging like a mad beast with your dick swinging about as you cleave foes into pieces.
>>
>>46891444
Wow... that's fucking brilliant

The best I have is
>lv1 party can't hit a flying sword, cleric is already down
>druid uses shape water to freeze a block of water around the blade
>sorcerer lassoes the thing to make it move less
>fighter grapples it and shoves it into a stone sarcophagus
>warlock closes the lid

I thought that was pretty creative at the time
>>
>>46891581
Not how Shape Water works, so meh...
>>
>>46891581
Currently my party isn't so much brilliant as cheezy

>fighting a level 8 monster at level 3-4
>Half the party is dying or grappled by other smaller monsters
> Ranger uses Ensnaring Strike on the level 8
> Rest of party stacks DoT attacks on it
> Warlock Hexes it
>Level 8 monster is cheesed to death while everyone else can get picked up and we mop up all the smaller monsters

This is the closest we've gotten to creative so far.
>>
>>46891555
Reason #1 I'm happy to see more martial archetypes with superiority die in UA; I think they got the message.
>>
>>46890354
Limit how many times they can switch in to a discipline and you should be good. Otherwise they can become proficient in every weapon. We do 1 per short rest.
>>
Would a staff or rod of Firebolt/other attack cantrip be an Uncommon or just Common (albeit expensive, on par with health potions) item?
>>
>Suggest we try rolling stats instead of point buy to see if we can get some more flavorful characters
>everyone agrees but the DM who is worried about people breaking the game
>Everyone else rolls great stats with at least two 17's each
>I roll a 15, 12, 10, 10, 10, 9
>Fuck me
>Ask the DM if I can reroll since I am shit compared to them
>Told only if I can get them all agree to reroll
>Fuck me
>I dont want to ruin the others fun so I decide to deal with it

So I am playing a level 1 druid (so I can maybe not be shit later do to wildshape) with 14 AC (leather armor and shield) and not much of a chance of surviving until level two. Any suggestions would help greatly.
>>
>>46891761
If all it can do is fire off a cantrip, it'd probably just be common. For reference, the wand of magic missiles and wand of magic detection are both uncommon.
>>
>>46889482
This is pretty cool. Thanks anon.
>>
>>46891798
Just yolo it and make another level 1 when you inevitably die.
>>
>>46891798
You'll be fine, don't be a bitch.
>>
>>46891838
I know its just annoying that our barbarian is going to start with 17 in strenghth, dex, and con. The wizard will have two 17's and a 15 before racials as well.

Compared to them I am a normal fucker with a stick.
>>
>>46891798
The moment you hit level 2, wild shape will carry you through basically everything with almost no stat requirements. That 15 lets you have a standard starting primary (16 Wis). You'll be fine.
>>
>>46891555
>>46891556
I'm thinking variant human barb1/rogue1/battlemaster18 with tavern brawler

No armor, no weapons, just a manly man and his fists (rogue for the athletics expertise)
>>
>>46891806
That seems about right to me, I'm halfway working on an Airships game and the main weapon of the small low level airship I'm designing for the players is a Firebolt Rotary Cannon made out of 12 Firebolt staffs, once per turn whatever player ends up as captain can call a barrage on a 10 foot radius as air support on foot from the ship, enemies in the area make a Dex save based on the distance the ship is from them. If they use it too much it starts getting a cumulative roll to overheat the gun and make it need repairs
>>
>>46891876
Don't stress so much. Put a +2 into that 15 and you'll have a good character. Slightly below average when it comes to raw stats, but you'll still have a 17 in your casting stat (assuming you put it there), which is really all you need as a Druid. If you go Moon, you'll be able to make up for your poor HP and other deficiencies with Wild Shape, and even if you don't, you can focus on casting.
>>
I'm thinking about making a Half-Elf Warlock with a patron of the "Old God"

I'm new to DnD but not PnP. Am I gimping myself at all with this? I'm more concerned with role than roll play but if I'm going to be a complete and utter hindrance to the party I can do something else
>>
>>46892118
>One of the strongest races, especially for Charisma casters
>Playing a Charisma caster
You'll do fine, anon. Just keep your head on straight.
>>
>>46891876
>barbarian is going to start with 17 in strenghth, dex, and con

not normal
>>
After poring over some of the still-not-quite-official UA stuff, what's wrong with Deep Stalker and the Kits supplement?

Considering that Stalker seems to balanced its gains with mild nerfs, the UA Fighters seem to just be variant battlemasters, and the UA Bards end up having a lot of shit competing for their inspiration slots, it seems balanced enough with maybe mild tweaks?
>>
>>46892403
She rolled two 17's and a 15. She is playing a Goliath barbarian. DM ruled you cant have over a 17 from racials so she shoved the 15 in strength and the two 17's in dex and con losing the +1 to con.
>>
File: voodoo elf.png (1MB, 1600x2263px) Image search: [Google]
voodoo elf.png
1MB, 1600x2263px
>>46878863
>Two Druids
>18th level or higher
>Timeless body
>When one dies of old age, other Reincarnates
>When one dies of anything else, True Resurrection
>Hard to kill a high level Druid that just wants to get away, anyway
>Reincarnate until elf
>RAW lifespan is now over seven thousand years
>Reincarnate when you get bored of body
>>
>>46879119
Gandalf is an Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>46892599

He's a 4e Invoker, it's the class that fits him best of any edition.
>>
>>46892959
There is no class that fits him best. He develops powers as the plot demands.
>>
File: zangrief.png (173KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
zangrief.png
173KB, 500x382px
>Playing burly dragonborn paladin
>Attempt to move statue
>Roll 3+3
>Party warlock saunters over
>Rolls 17-1
>hfw
>>
>>46879891
>bag of rats on person
>in battle, wield a shortsword and keep one hand free
>free action draw a rat from the bag
>strike with the shortsword and two-weapon-fight smash the rat against the enemies head as an improvised weapon
>do damage to your enemy and gain temporary hit points
>kill two birds with one rat
>>
>>46893066
First of all, you clearly loosed it up for him.
Secondly, I always run it as the person who's best qualified (or is the one insisting on doing it) gets advantage on the check, as someone else Helps. Keeps things simple.
>>
>>46880538
I'll post feedback on it soon.
>>
>>46892426
I don't think anything has been flat broken yet.
>>
>>46892546
Clever. Write up more shenanigans to entertain me.
>>
>>46893406
Tunnel Fighter is definitely flat broken.
>>
>>46893174
>I always run it as the person who's best qualified (or is the one insisting on doing it) gets advantage on the check, as someone else Helps. Keeps things simple.

Good to see you follow the "working together" rule printed in the book. Kind of an odd way to phrase it though, sounds like you think it's a houserule.
>>
>tfw no group
I miss the good ol' days.
>>
>>46890438
I know from experience that doesn't help. My party all got together and decided to roll Cleric, Bard, Warlock as a group.

It is a challenge some days.
>>
File: 442.jpg (227KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
442.jpg
227KB, 680x1020px
>>46893752
It's more often an issue more along these lines.
>Alright [Cleric], give me a religion check to identify the-
>All 4 players start shaking a d20 in their hand
>>
>>46894287
lol'd but am also guilty of this
>>
>>46893281
Thanks bro.
>>
>>46894314
What are "druid terrain spells"
>>
New DM here, quick question

what do you guys do about players rolling multiple times for a single out-of-combat thing? IE they're trying to Arcana check a magic item but they roll shit multiple times, and want to keep rolling until they succeed

I guess it makes sense if they're not under any pressure but I still don't like it.

Also should say that none of my party are magically inclined and have no identify spells or whatever. Highest int in the group is like 12.

I told them that if their character doesn't know what it is on a first try, trying again multiple times isn't going to magically make them know what it is.

Is that just a situation where I should just tell my players what it is? I personally like the mystery of not knowing exactly what an item does.
>>
File: Druid god step 3.png (337KB, 708x335px) Image search: [Google]
Druid god step 3.png
337KB, 708x335px
>>46893496
Well, if you insist.
>Tome of Understanding
>Very Rare magic item
>You are a 18th level Druid, sure you'll run into one
>Increase WIS by 2
>Also increase WIS cap
>No upper limit
>Limitation is century recharge time
>You are an immortal druid
>Time means nothing
>Hold on to Tome, reusing every hundred years
>Every use bumps WIS mod up 1
>30 WIS, +10 within standard Elf lifetime
>You are not a standard Elf
>24 Save DC, +16 to hit, naked and unarmed
>You're a Druid, better that way
>None shall face you
>You aren't done
>Still have about six thousand years before next Reincarnation
>60 more uses of Tome
>Your WIS is now +70 at 80 WIS
>Time to die
>lolreincarnate
>Keep stats, just change racials
>WIS is whatever you have the patience to get to
>Save DC unstoppable
>To hit spells never miss
>Prepare every Druid spell every day
>Become God of a new world
>Also, Druid capstone feature is overpowered
>>
>>46894440
If they're not under pressure, just make each roll take more time I guess? At some point they've spent two days in a library failing and it might start to look a bit dire.
>>
>>46894440
It takes them longer every time to roll.
> 1st roll 1 action
> 2nd roll "a few minutes"
> 3rd roll and forward, 10 minutes
Typically telling players its wasting time makes them reconsider.
>>
>>46894540
>>46894551

I'm asking because this happened in my last session just yesterday

they'd completely cleared out a cave, killed everything in there (not a big cave) and found a magic dagger. Long story short they spent way too long trying to ID the dagger until I just told them what it was.

In the future I'll do what you guys suggested. Though I think I'll just have them find a "Clothe of Identification" here soon. What kind of group doesn't have a wizard.
>>
>>46894650
Identify is a level 1 ritual and doesn't spend the material component, just have them hire a goddamn sage to do it next time. Shit, if they have a sufficiently valuable pearl jewel I'd consider letting them have a discount for providing the focus.
>>
>>46894650
Unless you're running variant rules, all you need to identify is a short rest. Read the DMG.
>>
>>46894440

"I search for traps"
You find none
"I search again"
You strain your eyes and have disadvantage on perception and ranged attacks until your next rest.

Done.
>>
>>46894440
>what do you guys do about players rolling multiple times for a single out-of-combat thing?
I don't let them.

If they want to try again and it's something that can be done over and over like picking a lock or smashing down a door, I say it takes some time based on their first result. If the lock needed a 15 and they got a 10, it takes them a good 5 minutes before the lock finally pops open. If they needed a 20 to smash down the door and got a 12, it finally breaks down after several long minutes of whacking on the door, and if I'm annoyed I make them roll a Con save to not gain a level of exhaustion.
>>
File: Michael-Lost-Boys.jpg (18KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Lost-Boys.jpg
18KB, 300x400px
>This is how I undying warlock
>>
>>46894773
>>46894840
My players are kinda little bitches who already complain about 100% legit things like attacks of opportunity and etc. so I doubt that'll go over well.

I prefer to fuck them over in ways not obvious

>>46894716
>>46894764
None of my players have magic of any sort (Barb Rogue Fighterx2) and they're all pretty dumb (rogue has the highest int at 12, rest are 8s)

as for the hireing someone else to do that, I've told them they could try to find someone in the next town but they're stingy as fuck.
>>
You don't need any magical aptitude to identify magic items. It's just as >>46894764 said, all you need to do is spend a short rest with it. Another short rest will attune the item to the PC if that's necessary, which it pretty much always is.
>>
What are some good, non-bullshit, mini-games you have put your PCs through? And did they enjoy them?
>>
If I was to let a player do a dark elf without the sunlight sensitivity, which ability would be better to trade? (the tl;dr is that they're more Dunmer/Mystara Shadow Elves than FR Drow)

I'm thinking of possibly letting them keep Dancing Lights and cut down to normal Darkvision, or would that be excessive nerfing.
>>
>>46894440
Only call for rolls if there's a consequence for failure.

Specifically regarding lore, give out bad info on failure.
>>
>>46895158
That's good advice, I'll do that from now on. I already let my players take 10 in any skill their proficient in but situations like this still arise

>>46895099
sunlight sensitivity is a huge disadvantage for drow, so I'd take away something that is a comparable advantage (like the darkvision)
>>
>>46894895
For knowledge checks remind them about the last time they forgot *thing* and didn't remember it until hours later.
>>
>>46894465

>19th level, monk multiclass
>AC of Don't Even Bother
>>
>>46878775
>What's the best way for a character to become immortal?
Be a 17th-level wizard or arcana cleric or an 18th-level bard.

Use Wish to cast Demiplane and stash your excess wealth in there on a regular basis.

Use Wish to make a Clone of yourself at a younger age and throw that in your Demiplane.

Fuck it, Wish up Clones of your entire party and throw them in your Demiplane. Do it for any NPCs you like, too, maybe you can Wish to cast Resurrection on family if they don't die of old age, wait a day and make a Clone of them, too. You've got the keys to immortality, why hog it? The only requirement is that they survive 120 days after you cast their Clone.

When you die, you wake up as your clone. Long rest, whip up another Clone. Read a book, spend some time knitting, another long rest, use Wish to Plane Shift back to the material plane.

This is all RAW with no magic items required.
>>
>>46894424
Those bonus spells land druids get.
>>
What's the best way to get to convince a party to work together? I've got a lot of different alignments and motivations to work with, and different motivations.
>>
File: sword-coast-legends-pic.jpg (22KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
sword-coast-legends-pic.jpg
22KB, 640x466px
>make D&D game
>make it nothing like D&D

seriously whats up with this game? why'd they make all these bullshit cooldown ability things?

I just want a game based off 5e

>>46895582
"If you don't work together all of you will die". Put a group like that/start a group like that off in a dire situation
>>
I'm kinda starved for D&D experiences atm.

My IRL campaign is on the backburner for a while.
I just joined an online campaign, so we'll see how that goes.

I have a bunch of character concepts I want to try out but I don't have enough D&D friends (that I like) to put them into practice.

Is Baldur's Gate (the videogame (and/or its sequel)) fun and worth playing?
>>
>>46895595
Don't worry anon, the game did so poorly that Wizards stopped pushing it shortly after release and the studio that made it recently shut down.

I do agree about a game based off 5e, though. It would make for a good Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age style game.
>>
>>46895941
I hope it's utter failure hasn't turned WotC away from vidya. An actually good game that could be used for making real campaigns and online sessions and shit would be amazing
>>
>>46895595
The devs literally went under after the last patch, no?
>>
>>46895681
Dark alliance?

Yes. Yes it is fucking awesome.

Get that's meaty goodness up in you brain-hole asap
>>
>>46895099
The other elf subraces get one ASI, weapon training, and 2 other features. Removing the sensitivy and the superior darkvision, leaves the Drow with ASI, weapon training and Drow Magic.

I'd say just Dancing Lights would be too little. I don't really think it would break anything to let them have the 2 other spells when reaching those specific levels. Or you can just use the High Elf features, one cantrip (from some charisma based caster spell list) and an extra language.
>>
>>46879891
>not dual wielding lances
>>
>>46895099
Just make a nigger High Elf
>>
>>46896130
+1 Cha High Elves (or, shit, +1 Cha Wood Elves with Dancing Lights instead of Fleet of Foot) with blue-grey to dark purple skin sounds like what I'll end up doing. I'll see if just refluffing a High Elf works for them.

I get Wizards' intent, given underdark races always had this, but it literally ends up being a gimpy tiefling and I'd feel bad having a player go with that.
>>
>>46896132
Naw, man, it's totally RAW and not at all retarded.
>>
>>46893066
>Playing Goliath Bearbarian
>Attempt to lift a portcullis
>Roll 10+5
>DM "Nope"
>Halfling DexPaladin saunters over
>Rolls 19-1
>DM "You lift the portcullis easily"
Isn't it awesome when I can almost lift 2 tons and he can barely lift his own weight? I swear to god, I'm going to stop playing Goliaths and Bearbarians, the double your lift feature is useless, never have seen a GM allowing me to do something cool with it
>>
>tfw you just realized sun elves are altmer with good PR
>>
>>46896412
Bearbarian is best barian
>>
>>46881273
you need to have your character created.
Look up adventure league and on the dnd website they should mentions rules for character creation. I beelive in the OP they have it as well, not sure.
But its basically array for stats and no evil characters.
I would recommend going only to meet people to play with in real sessions. From what i have heard, and in my limited experience, Adv. League is too "casual" because of time constraints, in and out players, barely connected stories.
Its best to use Adventure league to find people to play with and kinda learn what dnd is about.
>>
>>46881273

It's a good place to start, but don't expect to get to level 3 without getting bored. I used to DM Adventurer's League, and I quickly noticed that all the Adventurer's League stuff follows the same formula.

The party meets, and are given a quest by an NPC. There's an easy combat encounter, then an easy skill encounter, and finally a boss of some sort.

WotC doesn't really put much effort into Adventurer's League. They aren't checked for grammar or spelling, which shows how little they care.

It's a good place to start, but look for something else, If someone is starting up any of the published modules, they're a good place to start. They're much better written.
>>
Since I started playing 5e I used DEX instead of CON as the second highest ability after CHA. The +1 aromor, ini, weapon damage always sounded better to me than "just more health" Has anyone done the math on this before? Am I actually making a big mistake in doing this?
I also always felt like DEX was more viable a stat to have regarding saves.
Would be great I I could have your input.
>>
>>46897213

Works for Rogues and Ranger's pretty well, but if you intend to wear medium or heavy armor it really doesn't help much.

The sort of thing that makes you roll a Con save will absolutely fuck you up if you fail
>>
>>46897213
>>46897241
Failed Dex saves are an inconvenience.
Failed Con saves are a disaster.
>>
>>46897213
As levels go on, monsters start becoming more accurate. Not by much because bounding accuracy, but with their to-hit and multi-attacks, shrugging off damage or preventing it is often more valuable than hoping to avoid it on a dice roll.

DEX Is still good though.
>>
>>46897337
>>46897256
>>46897241
Forgot to say that I'm mostly doing this on my sorcerers. But thanks a lot for the input. I will reconsider con as second highest attribute
>>
>>46897362
Also consider your Concentration is going to be based on CON.
>>
>>46897362
Con is really important for maintaining concentration. Of course not getting hit in the first place is better. They're both Secondary stats to your main casting stat, you won't go wrong with either.
>>
Anyone have some under-rated spells that they like to use?
>>
>Tell players I give out extra exp for good role play, clever use of skills/abilities, but won't necessarily tell them if I do.
>Do this to encourage better playing
>After next session, hey DM! hey DM! did my character get exp for the time I did blank? No. But but but...!
>Introduce new rule, pestering to gain extra exp will result in negative exp.

Why are PCs the worst? Good or better ways to punish and rewards PCs?
>>
>>46897777

Get rid of XP entirely after level 3 or 4. Reward level ups to the party either at key points in the story, or after a really damn good session
>>
>>46897509
Catapult, best spell in the whole damn game
>>
Hey there I'm playing an elf rogue very soon and the only thing I haven't decided on is alignment

>A little backround:
He is a middle aged elf who made a living doing odds and ends (writing and accounting) who was dissatisfied with life until his father got an offer from some well connected elves who were a part of organised crime.

His family then became associated with this crime 'family'. After approximately 120 years his brother grew apart from the nuclear family and ran.

My character is now on the hunt for his own brother(to possibly kill or help, I'm not sure yet)

I'm just struggling with what alignment to choose for this character, he is protective and caring for his true friends and family but obviously doesn't care for the law.

Thought CN for awhile but I hate CN. NE could work if I didn't play it Neutral stupid and acted very subtly. Any opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>>46897795
Thinking about XP and going more freeform once level 4 is reached; would it be particularly overpowering to use a XP = GP reward formula at first. I figure it would cover shit like getting your first good armor, leveling the spell books for AT/EK/Wiz/Ritualists, maybe load up on potions and shit before actually setting out.
>>
>>46897876
Well a good first step would be to stop forcing an alignment on your character

Just ask yourself what he would do in certain situations and follow those general guidelines
>>
>>46897876

Sounds CN or CG to me. I don't think of alignment as something you choose, your character's backstory and motivations inform how they act, and that should inform their alignment. If they are perfectly happy to break the law to meet their needs, their clearly chaotic, and if they actually care about people beyond being a means to an end, then they aren't evil.
>>
>>46897876
>Protective, caring, doesn't care for the law
He can be CG if you want.

This kind of thing matters a lot less than people really ought to care for though.
>>
>>46897926

I'm a little confused, are they getting both gold and experience, are you turning experience into gold pieces, or copper, or what.

Either way I don't see how that goes toward the goal of rewarding meaningful play. I find that the best way to reward creativity is to give creative rewards.
>>
>>46898006
I'm using XP up to level 4 as a way to gauge the rewards; i.e. thinking about giving about 1gp to the XP, as a rough guess.
>>
>>46898042

Levels scale at a very specific exponential rate, by that logic so would the items. Around level 6 (14000 xp) or 7 (23000 xp) your players will have a massive power spike because they will have several rare magic items of anywhere between 501 and 5000 gp of value, and maybe a very rare magic item of 5001 to 50000 gp of value. Check page 135 of the DMG for these numbers.

I don't know about you, buy I'd consider myself pretty damn fucking powerful if I had a +2 weapon before level 8. If your comfortable having your players running around with more than that, then go for it, but its going to be a pain in the ass to present challenging, but balanced, encounters.

As I said before, the best way to reward creativity is with creative rewards. Stop trying to rationalize it with numeric values, instead, give rewards that you think will be meaningful to the characters, like an estate, or a weapon tailored to how the fight.
>>
>>46898042

Gonna keep going because words.

You don't have to constantly dole out rewards when your players get attached to the few that they are given. If it's a cool item that the character gets to use all the time, than that should be enough of a reward. Don't be afraid to workshop item ideas with your players, but take what they suggest with a heaping mountain of salt. Don't be afraid to nerf the item if it ends up being game breaking, but make sure the player knows that.
>>
I have a problem. I can't present my party with any sort of obviously difficult scenario. If I do, they just retreat. The only sorts of encounters they go for are easy ones, or ones where I surprise then with difficulty.
>>
>>46898345

Cut off their escape, close the door behind them and lock it tight. Either they fight, or they die
>>
>>46897795
>Reward level ups to the party either at key points in the story, or after a really damn good session
I do this

But I also track exp for other things as well. In case players do something that is significant, but not a key point in the story. They might perhaps still attain a level up.

My thought is that when removing exp entirely is that two things can results: either the GM gets too generous with the level ups, or the GM lets the players go too long without level ups when they should have otherwise (by RAW) have attained one. So I try to find a balance.
>>
>>46898377
This fampai.

Don't be afraid to surround them or trap them.
>>
>>46896412
>>46893066
>DMs still asking for checks for trivial things, especially where failure has no consequence
Purge all shit DMs.
>>
>>46898345
Take a lesson from the master, Gary Gygax:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67KlR2Sgh8#t=1m20
My personal favorite was, "As the portcullis slams shut, undead begin to rise all around you. You will HAVE to fight."

Alternatively, recognize that your PCs appear to be valuing their lives and not being stupid bitches who rush straight into the cult lair with an expectation of flawless victory because "we're the heroes". If they're just fighting stupid minions and monsters, let them. But if there is an organized, intelligent force somewhere in your baddie reserve, have them catch on to the fact that the party is clearly over-cautious and begin setting traps meant to exploit this (hiding their forces, rigging rooms to seal, attacking the party in what should be safe places [like town]). And if that's not possible, what's the looming threat that is supposed to be moving the PCs to action? If they're not taking any kind of risks to resolve this, have it advance and show them the consequences of their cowardice.

But if they play completely paranoid and do everything in their power to draw enemies into hallways or otherwise fight like tactical geniuses, hey, more power to them. You may have to introduce Counter-SWAT, a group of equally "lame" mercenaries with a penchant for holing up, retreating, and displacing the dug-in.
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.