[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 386
Thread images: 33

File: Underdark crystals.jpg (101KB, 736x535px) Image search: [Google]
Underdark crystals.jpg
101KB, 736x535px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJqFbfRB

Previous Thread: >>46899066

What class are you most interested in seeing for the next official release?
>>
Psion. :^)
>>
The only class I can think of being interested besides Psion is Shaman as either a divine sorc or a divine lock.
>>
>>46915589

Better Ranger
>>
>>46915589
I want a 5e book of weeaboo fightan magic that brings monks, fighters, paladins, rogues and rangers up to wizard tier.
>>
So I am going to run CoS for a few friends of mine. I am very new at DM'ing and have never ran a full adventure. Is there any sage advice for running CoS.

>As a side question, how do you keep the atmosphere up at your table?
>>
>>46915589

Everyone is going to answer the OP question with obvious shit, so I'll throw a curveball.

I want to see the Truenamer in 5th edition
>>
>>46915653
So you want to make them shit unless the DM running a Monty Haul and drops scrolls left and right?
>>
>>46915680
I mean, it'd be cool with fixed math.

I want the Incarnate
>>
>>46915723

We can go deeper.

Factotum
>>
I asked this question in the last thread but it was verbose and bad, so I shall simplify:

I need to show the players that a villain means business, and also that the gods are rapidly losing their power. I also want to show them that the BBEG's abilities are ludicrously effective against gods. I have thought of a few ways to do this:

>A minor (and extremely stupid) God tries to challenge BBEG, and gets incinerated
>BBEG gets annoyed at a god and decides to switch their alignment (either from good to evil or the reverse), causing them to instantly become absolutely disgusted at their past actions. If it goes from good to evil the god would decide to murder a few of their own clerics or something, and they would probably collapse in terror at the reverse
>BBEG decides to elevate some minor god to major god status or the reverse
>Something else

What would be best?
>>
>>46915822
If the BBEG is more powerful than the main pantheon of your setting, there are a few things you can do to show that is the case without having a deus ex machina moment.

If he is more powerful than gods, he has religious followers on par or if not more than those gods simply on a might makes right basis. He can win political arguments by DEUS VULT.

If he is more powerful than gods then he should leave the material plane and start fucking things up for the party cosmically. Maybe he leaves a door open to the lower planes, maybe he fucks with the source of all magic, maybe the cleric can't use his abilities anymore, etc.
>>
>>46915822

Have the BBEG cause a huge, extremely powerful natural disaster. Like, he drops a fucking capitol city into a massive sinkhole, or immolates it or whatever. Describe in detail the damage this causes, the bodies, the buildings, all of it in exacting detail. Make it a real horror show.

Then, next to the ruined city, seemingly carved into the ground in massive letters, is a message:

>Your move, (name of god that the city worships)

I think that'll get the point across pretty effectively.
>>
>>46915589
>What class are you most interested in seeing for the next official release?
None. We've got plenty for my purposes.
>>
>>46915893
My setting is based on large tendrils of land that spiral through space, and I was initially planning on having him just destroy one of the main ones. This would be a cataclysmic disaster that would kill billions of people, however, and I don't think the BBEG would actually be able to do it. His powers are more focused on fucking with deities. Manipulating the world is harder for him.

>>46915891
Fucking with the source of all magic might be interesting.

I think my main problem is that he needs to show off his abilities on his first appearance, which is going to be in the middle of a great cosmic meeting of the entire pantheon. So it somehow needs to be confined to one room, which is a decision I am now sort of regretting.
>>
>>46915945

So, like, his power is that he's basically an anti-god then, if I'm interpreting this correctly? Like, he can fuck them up, and they can't fuck him up?

Because if so, it's pretty easy.

>villain walks into meeting unannounced
>everyone is watching him walk in, like who the fuck is this guy
>weak or mid-level (preferably mid-level, gets the point across better) gets up and starts walking up to him
>this god is pissed, who the fuck are you, how dare you enter this place, etc.
>villain just laughs at him, or just stares silently (not sure of this guy's personality, whatever's appropriate/insulting to the god)
>god does some super powerful god attack like throwing a meteor or swinging a massive club, whatever
>villain is completely unnaffected by the godly show of power
>one shots the god with a simple blade, or shot to the head, etc.
>"Now that I have your attention..."

This is what they call a "no sell" in professional wrestling, and it's super effective at establishing strength over an opponent.
>>
>>46915589
The only class I want an official release of is the Mystic, maybe an Artificer base class for craft-based characters and either a base class or set of classes dedicated to ToB blade magic.
>>
Another UA comes out on Monday, but it's supposed to be their "DMs Guild spotlight" bullshit again. If anyone has bought any of the stuff they featured and is willing to share when the time comes, drop it here or in the Discord so I can add it to the Mega. I can clean DrivethruRPG PDFs if need-be.
>>
>>46916096
I don't see a big difference between half-baked content from pros and fully-baked content from amateurs. All this stuff, official and unofficial, is just Gary Gygax fanfic anyway.
>>
>>46915589
I think it'd be cool to have an Intelligence-based martial class. Something focused on tactics and predicting what opponents are going to do.

One subclass could be a mage hunter, specializing in disrupting concentration and supernatural abilities. The other could be a harasser, manipulating foes to give allies openings.

tl;dr I think an int-based mundane character would be nice if I had to choose.
>>
>>46916066
This sounds like it could be really good.

Now I just need to pick a god who is sufficiently arrogant and stupid enough to attack him. Maybe one of the orc gods?

I'm using a slightly modified Forgotten Realms pantheon. I know the setting, but not extremely well. This is the first campaign I've ever played in for more than like 3 sessions. Does anybody stand out as a good candidate.
>>
>>46916165

I also am not super familiar with FR, it's probably my least favorite setting. Go with an evil god, especially one of war or some kind of combat, they're more likely to get up and challenge the fucker. Probably chaotic too, a lawful god would at least figure out who the guy is before flying off the handle and attacking him.
>>
>>46916269
Okay, I think I have a good gist of what should happen.

I wrote down a little scene script.

http://pastebin.com/SB0FYMvd

Is it getting the personality of the BBEG across correctly?
>>
>>46916495
>>46916269
Not that you would know what that's supposed to be. I'm mostly just asking what sort of personality you see in this snippet.

I'm really fucking nervous about trying to get the tone of this guy correctly, because he's supposed to be flamboyant and showy but also deeply menacing.
>>
>>46916495
>>46916537

I like it quite a bit, anon. I think, going with what you've got here, you have a good villain on your hands. Really cocky, really showy, and it's because he knows how strong he is against the very gods themselves, and he is fucking loving it.

Be sure to, at some point, have him get really serious seemingly out of nowhere. Like when he goes into his little speech that I'm sure he's going to have after that show of force. Nothing is more menacing then when the flamboyant guy suddenly gets serious.

Then after he's done being serious, he just goes back to flamboyant again like nothing happened. It shows instability in his mind, that he's truly deranged. Probably one of my favorite villain tropes because it's so damn effective.
>>
File: 9412_1114228800.jpg (79KB, 513x644px) Image search: [Google]
9412_1114228800.jpg
79KB, 513x644px
If I play a necromancer wizard, will it be a trying burden to keep track of all the undead minions? I want to play a wizard and I love pet classes, but I don't want to slow down combat.
>>
>>46915822
My opinion? Makes one of the major-est gods become mortal and casts him down upon the world. Could you imagine the backlash that would cause? A man with a huge army of followers and crusaders backing him as he tries desperately to reclaim his mojo? That would be a hell upon the world as it is. Meanwhile BBEG just sits back and watches the worm writhe.
>>
>>46916495
>You’re pretty sure that red dragons aren’t quite that well-attuned with fire.
Huh?
>>
>>46916817
Well, even as a Necromancer, you wont get any Undead for a while so you wont be slowing down combat until the higher levels
>>
File: 1386466392636.jpg (151KB, 1173x800px) Image search: [Google]
1386466392636.jpg
151KB, 1173x800px
5e Spelljammer when?
>>
>>46916863
Most of them aren't literally on fire at all times
>>
File: Fuck you.png (5KB, 239x258px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you.png
5KB, 239x258px
Question.

What do you do about dick DMs?

I just played my first session of 5e and the DM killed my character by singling it out with a monster way above our expected CR.

As a new player (and no access to the monster manual at the time) I didn't really have a full appreciation for what was happening, but now that I'm at home and am looking at the MM I'm realizing that the DM was being a giant cockface for no reason.

This is also his first time DMing so maybe he's just incompetent.

Thoughts? I can greentext the story if anyone's really curious about the details.
>>
>>46916920
Red dragons are immune to fire damage.
>>
>>46916927
Just gives the highlights, what monsters, what level and classes are the party?
>>
>>46916871
Either never or after the other Tier 1 settings. Spelljammer was a Tier 2 setting in the surveys (so not at the same level as FR, Ravenloft, Planescape and Darksun), but it's a weird tier 2 in that instead of leaving everyone kinda meh, it leaves everyone either loving hit or deeply, profoundly hating it.
>>
>>46916938
I know. That doesn't mean they are on fire constantly.
>>
File: Facepunch.png (17KB, 475x375px) Image search: [Google]
Facepunch.png
17KB, 475x375px
>>46916948
>Just gives the highlights, what monsters, what level and classes are the party?
k.

>Ranger 2, Monk 2, Paladin 2, Warlock 2, Bard1/Cleric1 (me)
>In a big room under ground, 2 feet of water on the floor and a dias w/ altar in the middle
>Monk is a halfling so he's riding on my shoulders (6'4" Dragonkin) instead of swimming
>We go check out the dias
>Shambling Mound springs to life
>Ranger nature check results in a big fat "guys lets get the fuck out of here"
>My init roll fucking sucks
>Shambling mound approaches me and the monk since we're closest
>It uses BOTH ATTACKS on me
>Get 1 hit KO'd, grappled, and engulfed; monk backflips onto the altar
>Paladin tries a desperate attempt to knock the thing backwards with a thunder-slam move (forgot ability name) but it fails
>Party turns tail and runs the hell away
>I roll a nat 20 on my death save but DM bungles the rules and doesn't tell me it brings me back with 1hp so that I can even attempt to struggle free
>Next round I take a bajillion crit damage from being engulfed and auto-die
>Party ends up kiting the slow ass monster down a hall and actually kills it

I feel like the DM should have used one attack on me and one on the monk - that way even if it knocked one of us out we wouldn't be grappled + engulfed (which only happens when BOTH attacks hit the same target) and the party MIGHT have been able to haul ass away (it only moves 20ft a round) with an unconscious member in tow. Or, had I been knocked out but nat 20'd my death save I would have popped up and ran the fuck away myself. But nope, he pops up with a "hey you guys aren't supposed to be here yet" CR5 monster and uses it to auto-fucking KO basically the squishiest member of the party. What the fuck.
Is this normal for DnD?
>>
>>46917073
Oh no you lost a level 2 character.

nut up. why wouldn't a creature with multiattack use them both on a single target, especially when they get a special effect if both hit?

to reiterate, nut up bitch
>>
>>46917164
Huh? I don't give a shit about the character. I mean, I wanted to see how the build turned out but fuck it, I'll keep that one in mind for some other adventure. I just don't think this is a very good way to introduce a *brand new fucking player* to your group or to DnD.
>>
>>46917073
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany.
>>
>>46916927
>>46917073
Sounds like your boy is trying for a 'be the DM your players love to hate' style of game, which is tricky to get right even for an experienced DM. Just ask him to leave the Dark Souls shit until after he's got the basic rules figured out.
>>
File: 1385142353333.gif (494KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1385142353333.gif
494KB, 500x374px
>>46917185
>>46917073
Meh... you were unlucky with your initiative. D&D is a game after all... sometimes you lose.
>>
>>46915589
I'd like to see an alchemist class at some point that can make things like alchemists fire and acid viable beyond early levels and can make other alchemical bombs to throw at enemies.
>>
>>46917657
It's called taking the Guild Artisan background and prof in Alchemy.
>>
>>46917073
Sounds like death house. That adventure is suppose to kill at least one person.

But yeah, in truth the mound would use both attacks on the same target to get its special engulf. Sort of a creatures tactics deal. If it were something like an umberhulk and this happened then the DM targeting you out would be much more valid a theory.
>>
>>46917677
That only let's you make them. I'm talking about being proficient with using them in combat, getting more options to make and use in combat, farther throwing distance, and etc. like that. Sorta like the alchemist of PF but for 5e.
>>
>>46917073
Sounds like your DM was actually running a module. In which you do encounter a Shambling Mound at level 2, however the party could avoid it by sacrificing a living creature. So he might have forgotten that...

On the other hand, a 2nd level party could still outrun it, you were just really unlucky with your initiative. Roll a rogue next time.

The only thing he fucked up was forgetting you get conscious when you roll a 20 on a death save. But even then, you would wake up, prone, suffocating, and before your next turn came up the Mound would drop you again. Tough luck.
>>
>>46917073
>>46917750
Or rather, roll a Barbarian. No more getting instantly knocked out.
>>
>>46917721
>Sounds like death house.
Yup, that's the one. We were going to look for something to sacrifice other than a PC when it came to life. Although I'm wondering now if he'll count me as a sacrifice or not. I did technically die at the altar...

>But yeah, in truth the mound would use both attacks on the same target to get its special engulf
Why? Is the DM supposed to min/max monster attacks just because? It's a giant plant with an INT of 5 after all.

PS: How can a plant discern two separate characters when one is riding on the shoulders of the other? One part I left out - the Monk's init went first but he prepped a reaction attack for when the shambler drew near rather than trying to swim (too slow). So he actually stabbed the thing but it still attacked me.

>>46917750
>The only thing he fucked up was forgetting you get conscious when you roll a 20 on a death save. But even then, you would wake up, prone, suffocating, and before your next turn came up the Mound would drop you again. Tough luck.
As I understand it, I would have woken up at the _start_ of my turn and then have to use my action to escape the grapple (DC14 vs my STR bonus of +2, so not easy but not impossible). Then I could have ran away, assuming it missed it's attack of opportunity (not fucking likely). If it weren't deaf I would have loved to used Dissonant Whispers to force it away (was my initial plan when it attacked - except for the part where I died).

>>46917775
Nah going Sorc. If the DM is actually going to pick on me I'm not fighting it. I'm just going to double down on offensive magic (fuck supporting the party, that plan clearly didn't work out the first time) and see what I can break with spell points - like if you take spell sniper and then use extended range, can you triple the range of a spell?
>>
So our 5 man party is hitting a road block. As we gain levels and our wizard's powers grow, we're having trouble reconciling our party dynamic in character.

The problem stems from our wizard being a necromancer. My character is a paladin who holds death very sacred (and naturally views undead as detestable and as the ultimate perversion of life and death), and another character is a shadow monk who is a member of an assassin cult that also holds death very sacred. To him and his order, death is a a gift that is bestowed upon specific people, and anything that corrupts this gift, such as undead, is an affront to their order.

Naturally the three of us out of character want the party to succeed and perform as a functional unit. We're just having trouble bridging the gap in character, especially as the wizard's power and influence grow as we gain levels.
>>
>>46917880
>Why?
Why not?
>>
>>46917960
Because it's a giant plant, not Erwin Rommel?
>>
>>46917945
I guess I should point out that the necromancer also holds death in reverence, and has often times before sided with our characters when it comes to looting sarcophagi and graves. He just seems to believe that if the dead is payed proper respect, he should be allowed to use them after death and give their bodies renewed purpose.
>>
>>46917980
It's a big dumb plant, any reason it has to attack a single person is exactly as valid as any reason it has to attack 2 people.
Not exactly tactical genius.
>>
>>46917880
>It's a giant plant with an INT of 5 after all.
That doesn't make it a lobotomized brain dead moron. It just means it's acts instinctively, and it's got the base instincts of a predator. Those instincts drive it to eat the poor stupid fuck who got in front of it, in this case you and those exact same instincts would also have driven it towards you rather than the halfling because you're a bigger meal for it.

Next you'll be complaining a group of 6 int shadows focused on you when you were the only good aligned character in the party Shadows specifically target and eat good people since that's how they reproduce by the way.

You died in death house, big fucking whoop the name should be a giveaway. Your DM did nothing wrong.
>>
>>46918107
Except for the death save thing.
>>
>>46918107
>You died in death house, big fucking whoop the name should be a giveaway
For the record no one told me that's where we were - I wasn't around for the first session
>>
>>46918119
Which was completely inconsequential since anon would've died anyway. He made a single ruling flub that wouldn't have changed anything anyway. It was a straight up heads you die, tails it kills you, situation.
>>
>>46918132
Bullshit. Thing could have whiffed the opportunity attack.
>>
>>46917880
Look, I get it. You're pissed your character died in your first session and your DM wasn't very forgiving either. You should probably have been warned the party was going through a deadly module, or you should've asked.

Either way you died, at low levels that's very common. My first ever RPG session (in 5e, too) was nearly a TPK as 3 out of 6 party members died to a bugbear. It happens. The dice can be a bitch sometimes.

Don't be passive aggressive and try to "break" the game. Talk with your DM if you feel it wasn't fair, but be reasonable. Maybe he is willing to give you a chance to use that one turn with 1 HP to run away. Very unlikely, since you use your action to escape and probably exit prone, you would only get 15ft away before he caught up and engulfed you again.

You may as well just accept it and move on. (Sorcerers are a lot of fun, by the way. Wild ones especially.)
>>
It's actually a nice story.

>Six 5e noobs, playing LMoP
>Rogue, monk, barbarian, ranger, warlock, bard
>Raging barbarian rushes into obvious ambush, receives 3 crossbow bolts to the chest
>We kill some goblins, one escapes and alerts their leader
>Bard uses dancing lights to draw their initial shots, we rush in
>Bugbear, wolf, a bunch of goblins... well shit
>Already damaged barbarian goes down first, not managing to hit once
>Monk does some damage, but is dropped next
>Next round bugbear crits and insta-kills the ranger
>I, the haflling rogue, run away and jump down a 20ft shaft with 2 HP. Had I flubbed my acrobatics I'd be dead too.
>Bard and warlock run the hell out of there, the bugbear close behind
>Somehow I manage to completely circle around the cave and get behind them, landing a lucky sneak attack
>Cue party celebration

It was scary, but also so thrilling! We paid our respects to our dead companions and moved on... eventually meeting new ones.
>>
>>46918506
Even the insta-killed ranger loved it!

Our DM only wanted a one-shot, so we had to find a new one.
>tfw all our fights with this new DM have been relatively easier and no one has been anywhere close to death
I mean it's fun being a badass, but I find it kind of boring without any real danger.
>>
>>46917073

Yea, that's the game for you. Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons, sometimes you die
>>
File: underworld_by_jbrown67-d894efp.jpg (683KB, 3000x2183px) Image search: [Google]
underworld_by_jbrown67-d894efp.jpg
683KB, 3000x2183px
>>46915589
At least post the full picture.
>>
>>46917945
This is why you have a session 0
>>
>>46915616
>divine sorc

After seeing what they did with favoured soul, I don't trust wizards to do this.
>>
File: Machinist 1.0.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Machinist 1.0.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Reposting because I'm a shill

Looking for critiques/advice if I should change anything

Also thinking of other specs that could use similar systems

Anyway, have at it
>>
>>46916096
Here's one of the things I bought. It's pretty weeb. But honestly I really like it. Not sure on the balance of it all but If I ever actually get into a 5e game I'd at least want to playtest this material.
>>
I've finally done it. I've come up with the objectively best method of rolling for stats.

Roll 6d3. Yeah. Six, three sided dice. We have computers and 3d printing, this isn't impossible anymore. Record the number

Roll 6d3 and record 2 more times.

You should have 3 numbers now, between 6 and 18. Find each number on this chart, and record the number next to it in the same row.

18:6
17:7
16:8
15:9
14:10
13:11
12:12

For example, say I rolled 18, 9, and 12
I'd find 18 on the chart. 6 is next to it, to the right. I record 6.
I find 9 on the chart. 15 is next to it on the chart, to the left of it. I write down 15.
I find 12 on the chart. 12 is on the chart both times, but both times the only number next to it in the same row is 12, so I write down 12.

I now have 6 numbers between 6 and 18:

18, 15,12,12,9,6.

Distribute the numbers you've recorded to your stats.

Some perks of this system:

>it always generates a playable array
>the average of any given set generated by it is ALWAYS 12
>the point total given by it is always 72
>despite being constrained, there is still room for a lot of variance in stats.
>pretty simple to do: just look at a chart.

Some cons:
>illiterate poorfags won't be able to figure out how to use the internet to roll d3s.
>>
>>46919266
Did you fix the highlighting mistakes or whatever?
>>
>>46919347
Wow, holy shit, okay
I couldn't get through the whole thing because I felt a trenchcoat and fedora coming
But holy shit guy
>Ki users based on charisma instead of wisdom
>that fucking stupid strong iaijutsu or whatever
>"Domineer"
For fuck's sakes

At least the magic items look okay, but even then 5e isnt meant to be a magic item heavy game

Please stop trying to bring weeaboo fightan magic back
>>
>>46919437
Or we can point buy and skip the unnecessary bullshit, gaining the same perks in less work.
>>
>>46919476
Point buy isn't random tho
>>
>>46919486
That's a good thing.
>>
>>46919437
>We have computers and 3d printing, this isn't impossible anymore

Or, you know... just roll d6 and halve the results, rounding up.
>>
>>46919494
That's a bad thing tho.
>>
File: do you suck dicks.jpg (51KB, 907x718px) Image search: [Google]
do you suck dicks.jpg
51KB, 907x718px
>>46919504
>>
>>46919452
Yeah, as far as formatting goes it looks fine now (I think). If anything I should try to get my hands on some free art to replace the stuff I used
>>
>>46919466
never said I wrote the thing. just paid a buck for it guy.

That bein' said. Ain't gonna stop me from wanting BoNS to return in some shape or form. Don't like it. Don't use it. Just go on your merry way playin' the game your way. Let others enjoy it the way they want to.

Do everyone a favor and stop assuming anything remotely different from "Your D&D" isn't D&D to begin with. We've come a long way from the game Gygax gave us.
>>
File: 1438622601626.jpg (433KB, 791x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1438622601626.jpg
433KB, 791x1023px
>>46919504
For you, maybe
>>
>>46919567
Oh, my bad, I didn't think anyone actually liked that turd of a book unironically

Hey, more power to you guy, if you're a DM and want that at your table that's your own deal
>>
Is a bolt case or quiver required for using a ranged weapon well? Where is the ammunition stored otherwise?
>>
>>46915822
You have to be careful with these really powerful abilities, I would pick something that can't be turned on to the party.

Like if the BBEG can change alignments why doesn't he do it to the party? The LG and CG PCs may not care anymore if they become evil. And if you say he isn't going to use that ability why not?

Something that may be pretty cool is him sapping power from a god. He becomes more powerful and you get a now mortal God as an NPC for quests and all that.
>>
>>46919651
In your other hand if need be.

But for the most part yes, you'll want a quiver
>>
File: 59529365.jpg (70KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
59529365.jpg
70KB, 400x400px
>>46919627
Haven't tried 5e yet to be honest. Most of the players in my area play PF and my current DM plays nothin' but AD&D, and I'm also waiting for more material to be released for it.

Personally I enjoyed BoNS because it was the first chance at an attempt to give martials something else to do in combat besides swing a sword around, and i've been at the bad end of enough groups were I've been stuck doing nothing while the casters in the group basically led the way. And I will admit to being a weeb for the sake of wishing martials could perform mechanically as well as the casters do in most anime. Even if that line is a blurry smear on the wall.
>>
>>46919347
More stuff from DM's guild
>>
>>46915589
What keeps the Underdark from completely flooding? It's usually portrayed as far below the water table and even below sea level.
>>
>>46916817
If you like being a summoner the Druid is actually pretty good, and you won't get the RP stigma for being the thing the party has been killing all campaign long.

Conjure Animale Conjure Minor Elementals Conjure Elementals and Conjure Fey are available.
>>
>>46919723
Caves and Caves and Caves full of monsters that destroy the water whenever their particular cave gets flooded.
>>
>>46919723
Loth.
>>
>>46919747
The seawater is destroyed yet the salt remains, hence the Drow
>>
>>46915767
> That Spoiler
Fuck that thing.
>>
>>46917073
That's the game. Also, serves you right for multiclassing at level 2.
>>
>>46919717
Don't hate it, but it's overpowered
>>
>>46918122
> I didn't have a Monster manual
> I didn't have a copy of the adventure
> nobody told me what we were doing
Fucking Christ.
>>
>>46919914
I'm confused, are you suggesting anon should have metagamed?

Because if so then you are a cunt
>>
>>46919913
I wouldn't know how to tweek it to make it more balanced, probably edit the last ability somewhat. all in all that's been my favorite homebrew so far.
>>
>be arcane trickster 3, warlock 3 (pact of the chain/fiend)
>have familiar stuffing bottles during traveling.
>stealing shit all over the place with mage hand
>combat happens
>have familiar sneak bottles onto people
>have magehand do the same
>eldritch blast the bottles
>caltrops and ball bearings exploding all over their square everywhere while alchemist fire sets them and the oil in the bottles on fire
>then the poison sets in

This class is so much fun.
>>
>>46915589
Adventure modules, seriously, even 4th edition had actually modules not just thinly strung together Adventure Paths

But practically, another setting/sourcebook like Sword Coast Adventurers Guild, just focused on a different region.
>>
>>46917073
>allowing yourself to get within 30 feet of a monster
>going anywhere that you're not 100% positive does not contain a hidden danger
>at level 2
Reroll as a Throwbarb.
>>
>>46919957
Well, for starters superiority dice should not be equal to martial arts dice, 5 manouvers is too many, bonus extra attack/2 on a spent ki point is too good.

Lv3: gain 1 manouver, sup die d6, with extra manouver and die increase at 11 and 17. Also: "You may only use one manouver each time you take the attack action"

Lv6: spend 1 ki to do 1 bonus attack with weapon, weapon counts as magical

The other two are fine
>>
File: Knight of SWAT.jpg (75KB, 640x549px) Image search: [Google]
Knight of SWAT.jpg
75KB, 640x549px
New orders just came in from the Chief.
You're to homebrew some new martial maneuvers. Get crackin'.
>>
How often do you get an opportunity to make healing potions? I took the hermit background since my crew won't have a cleric and I think healing potions would be decent, but 2d4+2 healing doesn't seem like much at higher levels.

I tried looking up brewing potions of better potency in the PHB but I can't really find anything useful in there.
>>
>>46920145
Pocket sand
Con save or blind

Flex
Wis save or charm

Pop quiz
Int save or fail
>>
File: bill.jpg (71KB, 1140x588px) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
71KB, 1140x588px
Stat me /5eg/
>>
>>46920199
Pre-Weirdmageddon:

Str: 0
Dex: 12
Con: 4
Int: 16
Wis: 8
Chr: 20

Post Weirdmageddon:

Str: 30
Dex: 30
Con: 30
Int: 8
Wis: 4
Chr: 20

I mean he couldn't even count the fingers!
>>
>>46920145
>throw

You throw a creature at another creature. If the thrown creature is a willing creature, you automatically succeed at picking them up (otherwise make an attack roll, 1d20+STR mod against the victim's AC), and then make an attack (1d20+STR mod). On a success, the thrown victim hits the target which is knocked prone and can use their reaction to make an attack. On a miss, the thrown victim ends up in a spot determined by the DM.
>>
File: 1404329922099.jpg (16KB, 213x237px) Image search: [Google]
1404329922099.jpg
16KB, 213x237px
>>46919437
>Thinking 20s at level 1 is okay.
>mfw
>>
>>46920304
It's literally impossible to roll a 20 with 3d6
>>
>>46920323
>3d6
It's 6d3. If you're going to be retarded, at least get the facts right.
>What are racial bonuses?
>>
>>46920304
If you think that's a problem, you can do 8d2 instead.

16:8
15:9
14:10
13:11
12:12.

I like 6d3s because low stats can be fun to roleplay (within a limit, but 6 is definitely within that limit).
>>
>>46920145
I got a fancy one:

Block:

Requires a shield, when hit by an attack, can add your proficiency bonus to your AC, causing the attack to not do damage.

Pretty much defensive duelist but can only be done so many times, requires a shield so no two handed weapons and it's not that big of a threshold.
>>
>>46920406
I'm of two minds. I like this table better, but I also agree that low stats can be fun. It'd be easier just to give a point bonus for taking a low stat in point buy.

>>46920423
You mean POSSIBLY causing the attack to not do damage, right?
>>
>>46920423
>>46920454
*possibly

Y
>>
I'd like to see a STR Monk archyype already. So I can remake my Half-orc monk because I don't wanna involve home brew shit to this fledging group I'm in who is learning the game better.
>>
Is MinMaxing only bad when just one PC is OP? What if everyone in the party minmaxed? Would you run a combat focused campaign seeing just how powerful the party can be?

I'm thinking of doing something like that, have the PCs all be dead and moved on to Ysgard to battle powerful monsters, if they die they just Rezed next day at dawn.
>>
>>46920613
>is minmaxing only bad when just one PC is OP?
No, there are other situations. The entire group has to be down for that, including the DM.
>everyone in the party is minmaxed?
Better, but again, you need to make sure your DM is okay running that type of campaign.
>Would you run a combat focused campaign seeing just how powerful the party can be?
As a DM, probably not. Combat is terribly boring in this edition.
>>
Where can I get some cheap game pieces ? I want something other than glass marbles that can fit in 1" squares. They don't really have to be fantasy themed, just anything distinctly colored or numbered.
>>
>>46920548
Just ask your DM if you can substitute STR fror DEX for unarmored defense and martial arts purposes, in the end it's a self-gimp because STR has only 1 associated skill and DEX has 3

I wouldn't have a problem with that, your muscles are like steel at that point anyway
>>
>>46902472
>>46902467
Shortbows and greatswords are two-handed weapons, so couldn't you take a hand off them to make your unarmed strikes while not wielding a weapon. It should be possible to hold them in one hand until you want to attack with it.
>>
>>46920819
Just kick for your Unarmed Strikes. Drop an elbow. Headbutt.
>>
>>46920819
>Monk weapons are shortswords and any simple melee weapons that don't have the two-handed or heavy property.
>When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action.
Just doesn't work that way.
>>
>>46920819
RAW and RAI it doesn't work though

Would I allow you to forgo greatsword attacks in order to kick-unarmed strike without having to put it away? I guess

Would I allow you to mix a greatsword swing and a kick? No, you are using the attack action but not using martial arts for the whole thing and therefore lose the ability to do extra stuff like flurry
>>
Hey guys, I have a very low intelligence Half-orc Barbarian. Short story. He was raised by a hermit and pretty much forced to fend for himself when he became of age. His original tribe was an evil orc tribe that was slain for their crimes and as a child he was spared. He lived life away from civilization mostly until he accidentally helped a man (another PC's character.) From being unjustly imprisoned or so he was told. And they partied together ever since.

In this campaign, certain events led to a gang of goblins stealing an unwanted Half-orc child from a poor mother (who never wanted it anyways.) to a group of sellswords who believe they can raise it to be a strong asset and tool for their needs.

My character whose name is Zodd discovers this and the DM warned me that Zodd will be able to fight to take the baby back and asked if Zodd can say something that shows his drive and reasoning for protecting the baby. Zodd is one of those simple giants types who doesn't get certain things but overall only goes hard when be fights for his friend and is generally a big oaf outside of battle (something PCs have called him that he genuinely dislikes.)

" Zodd knows Zodd is big oaf. Zodd knows because Zodd was alone when baby, Zodd no get chance to learn big. Zodd sees baby and Zodd sees baby can learn big big. Not be like Zodd.

Zodd good at fighting, Zodd not smart like (PC wizard name.) Zodd not good talker like (his PC travel mate.)

Zodd wants to see baby be something else if baby wants to be. Zodd think baby deserves chance Zodd no have.

Zodd will fight for baby's chance. Zodd will will help baby because Zodd thinks baby needs help!

So Zodd will break the bad men, and destroy them! Zodd thinks baby can be whatever baby wants! And Zodd no let you take chance from baby! Zodd will stop you because Zodd is strongest there is!"

At which point, he would charge his enemies and hopefully fight and defeat them for said baby.
>>
>>46921027
Nice blog dude.
>>
>>46919952
No, anon was complaining he didn't have the opportunity to metagame.

Try to keep up.
>>
>>46921079
Shit the whole point was to ask if the fucking speech was alright, like if you could imagine the Half-orc saying something along those lines and consider it a reasonable and effective speech.

But I forgot to mention that first
>>
Does anyone have links to some decent homebrews for crafting potions with an herbalism kit? I chose a hermit background since I wanted my warlock to help support the party with some potions of healing or whatever, but it looks like it takes 10 days and 50 gp to even craft a single dose of 2d4+2 healing which seems ridiculous to me.
>>
>>46921202
Half-orcs aren't automatically fucking mongoloid idiots.

Play what you want, Anon, but your character quirk is played-out and your speech is uninspired.
>>
File: 94993-82220-general-zod.jpg (10KB, 282x350px) Image search: [Google]
94993-82220-general-zod.jpg
10KB, 282x350px
>>46921027
>Zodd sees baby can learn big big.
>>
>>46919664
He can only swap alignments of gods.
>>
File: bunny merchant female ro.jpg (403KB, 850x1196px) Image search: [Google]
bunny merchant female ro.jpg
403KB, 850x1196px
I'm looking for alchemy home-brews, any that you guys would recommend? (classes, items, ingredients, revamps for the crafting system)
>>
What does /5eg/ think of wild magic?
>>
>>46921308
That seems a lot harder to do than swapping the alignments of mortals. That's like being able to lift 500 pound weights but not 50 pound weights.
>>
>>46921263
Hmm yeah, I think the reasoning is off. It should be less about him (the baby) learning and more about him just being able to pursue what he wants.

>>46921274
Yeah that line sucks. Will most definitely change that.
>>
>>46921368
It's fun, but you gotta read the group. Some people don't take kindly to you fireballing in the middle of the party.

I've played a lot of Dark Heresy, though, so Wild Surges typically strike me as getting off easy. I still respect the other viewpoint.
>>
File: tumblr_mjepc4KKZW1rx4ivwo1_400.gif (2MB, 360x282px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mjepc4KKZW1rx4ivwo1_400.gif
2MB, 360x282px
>>46921407
>that line
>>
>>46915822
Yeah I think making him kill a god or whatnot is "unsheathe katana/teleports behind you" tier shit.

Instead methinks the best way of showing his power over gods is their complete impotency in dealing with him.

We're talking D&D - a world where gods usually have direct and oft used power to influence the world.

Let's say your BBEG is a cult leader whose goal is the end of all gods. He goes around sacking temple, has extreme power of suggestion, converts followers of gods in troves and it seems the momentum is only rising. Yet gods cannot do ANYTHING by themselves to stop him - no demonstrative lightning strikes, no divine punishment and if they decide to send pests and famine - it backfires and instead hurts the general populace. Which in turn only allows the BBEG to gain more popularity.

If you do want to be demonstrative, make him capture and kill a god's servant/angel or sack a major temple with impunity.
>>
>>46915945
>
I think my main problem is that he needs to show off his abilities on his first appearance, which is going to be in the middle of a great cosmic meeting of the entire pantheon

Don't make him do anything to them. Instead make them unable to do anything to him. LEt him taunt and humiliate them and leave completely unpunished.
>>
>>46920065
Explain further.
>>
Hey, teegee. I will pitch a campaign idea here and if you feel like it, can you please tell me how trash it is. As an introduction, I would say that being super original was not my goal and any well-rounded person here will notice tails sticking out of this one from all over the place, be it literature or games.

>There exists in a remote corner of the world an entire realm, surrounded by an insurmountable grey wall
>While getting inside the wall is possible, no way exists to exit, as the walls prevent escape and an immortal Gatekeeper guards the only gate
>The Realm, unbeknownst to the players, is a dream land of a being named Sleeper, manifestation of his deranged and melancholic psyche. For its inhabitants, however, it is but a heretical legend
>The walls bind the souls of those who enter, allowing them to come back to life with a single prayer or even stretch of will [thus permitting resurrection mechanics]
>Yet eventually every man's resolve falters and if you continue dying too much, eventually you lose drive to forge on and stop dreaming, whereas although you become immune to some effects and emotions, the next death will be final and irrevocable
>The Realm itself is a melancholy country, featuring a giant, dreamy forest to the North, deep red soil ravines to the East, stretches of fields and grassland to the West and misty, stream-pierced hillsides to the South.
>Many heroes entered the Realm yet none ever left - the strongest ones becoming god-like legendary figures, slaves to the Sleeper's will, which act as "red herring" threats to the Realm's people
>The player's ultimate way of escape that would also end the Sleeper's dream is to pursue these heroes of old and free them from the Sleeper's clutch, eventually venturing deep into the Northern Forest where he lies dreaming

>I want to introduce one unique mechanic per class, to allow some interesting abilities e.g.
>At-will vegetation control for druids
>Dark Sun's Defile mechanics for wizards etc
>>
What's the smartest creature in the monster manual?
>>
>>46922183
Solars have 25 Int, 25 Wis, and 30 Cha.
>>
Are we going to get an UA for April or did wizards just dropped that ball with the March recap thing?
>>
>>46922283
There was no survey to give feedback on the DMs Guild spotlight thing, so they'll probably hold to the every-other-month spotlight bullshit.
>>
>>
>>46922098
My DM lets me spend time stuffing caltrops, alchemist's fire, oil, and ball bearings in special easily broken bottles. The risk I guess is that while I'm keeping them on my person, I could fall prey to it if I get hit.

But I do my best as a rogue to stay out of the way of anything.
>>
So my party has a half-orc that lived with orcs, and basically considers himself one. He's barely neutral.

Meanwhile we've got a paladin in the party who believes his family and entire village was murdered by orcs.

How can I ensure they become best buds despite their differences, or convince the half-orc that he is more than an orc.
Otherwise I feel like if the half-orc doesn't watch his mouth, or displays any evil tendencies, the paladin is gonna strike him down.
>>
>>46922477
They could save each other's lives

or

They could (begrudgingly) work together to achieve a common goal
>>
>>46922477
Make them play good cop, bad cop.
>>
>>46922645
>They could (begrudgingly) work together to achieve a common goal
This is how its sort of working at the moment. They're about to bite the biggest of the plot hooks so this might resolve the issue.

>>46922659
>Make them play good cop, bad cop
They might be headed this direction as well.

In the last session the paladin punched the half-orc in the face over something he said, As it stands, the paladin is the one with a much bigger problem with the half-orc. Though it is the half-orcs fault because he always says the words that trigger the paladin.
>>
I think I just became a forever DM.
How do I cope?
>>
>play 3.5
>all games die before you even get your second attack
>play 4e
>all games die before you get to 8th level
>read that in 5e you level faster
>all games die before 4th level
I'm out, I will never play DnD unless I start at 11th level at least
>>
>>46922834
well done DMPCs
>>
My party is coming upon the completion of their first campaign, I'm designing some good rewards they'd appreciate. They will probably be level 5.

Druid: Baby Owlbear
Cleric: Silvered warhammer that doubles as holy symbol
Rogue: 2x hand crossbows
Bard: Fey charm (1 action, restores 1 bard die per long rest)
Barbarian: Greataxe that also gives +1 AC
Ranger: 20 Bane arrows (Can be attuned to a foe, doing an extra 1d4 dmg, cannot be recovered once fired)

Are any of these too blatantly OP or underwhelming?
>>
File: ZenArcher.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
ZenArcher.pdf
1B, 486x500px
ZenArcherBro here. Have a rough draft PDF. Thoughts?
>>
>>46923126
>Barbarian: Greataxe that also gives +1 AC
>+1 AC
It's not OP or anything, but it seems kind of off. What's wrong with just giving him a regular +1 greataxe?
>>
>>46922834
Learn to enjoy it. Seriously, after GMing for years I find actually playing P&P - and D&D especially - to be mind-numbingly dull.

>>46923048
>DMPC
>Well done
Pick one and only one
>>
>>46923163
I was debating either the +1 AC or a +1 Greataxe, I'll probably go with the +1 Greataxe just because that player loves doing tons of damage and cleaving enemies in half.
>>
>>46923183
Been GMing for a few years myself, and I use DMPCs (to avoid a stupid semantic debate, that is characters whose primary purpose is to let me play the game in somewhat the same way a player would), and my players haven't noticed or complained yet. You just gotta keep them from stealing your party's spotlight, and give them a useful, but not time consuming purpose in combat. Don't emphasize their movements or turns or anything.
>>
>>46915589
Binder
>>
>>46915589

Alchemist, I guess, since it would work very differently from other extant classes. Maybe the Mystic or some other psionic class.

For the most part, though, I don't think new classes should be added to 5E, but instead everything should simply be introduced as kits for existing classes.

On that note I'd like subclasses to be officially termed as kits, though.
>>
>>46923225
Almost certainly a good move. Now, how fast is the campaign moving? Might the baby owlbear reach adulthood before it is complete?
>>
>>46923270
Not before the end of this arc. I want to avoid giving everyone a combat pet, but if the druid keeps up on training it and feeding it, I would not be opposed to it being an occasional combat pet. I'm not sure what level this would be appropriate at though.
>>
>>46923231
Conflict of interests, anon.
>>
>classes you want to see

Warlord:
>A tactical class somewhat like battlemaster, but with a much greater emphasis on maneuvers and battlefield manipulation than damage. If the battlemaster is 70 damage 30 maneuvers, I want to see a class that's 70 maneuvers, 30 damage.

Shaman:
>A caster based class with a huge emphasis on a singular pet. What beastmaster is to martials, but good.

A new beast master archetype for ranger. Just scrap the old one, release an actually good one.

Actually, maybe just scrap ranger and redo it from the ground up.
>>
>>46923156
Pls
>>
>>46923369
The GM's only interest is to ensure a game that's fun for everyone. Him or herself included.

That's player tier logic you just spouted anon.
>>
DMPCs are fine.

When they're sleeper agents for the big bad.

Nothing warms my heart like watching my PCs murder their Dominated friend.
>>
>>46922283
April's UA was Gothic Heroes.
>>
>>46923477
And what a shit UA it was. Anon was probably just pretending it didn't exist.
>>
>>46923433
>A new beast master archetype for ranger. Just scrap the old one, release an actually good one.
Never played the Beastmaster past 4th? Wolf-riding Halfling is fucking amazing at level 7+, with every attack getting advantage. I ran this concept through 15, dipping into Rogue after 11, and it's phenomenal.
>>
>>46920950
RAI, you can take one hand off your greatsword to cast a spell, so why not to flurry?
>>
>>46923156
> Improved Deflection theoretically lets you make a ranged attack once per turn without the use of any action whatsoever, without limit
> sidebar explicitly confirms as much
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>46923249
Somebody did a Warlock archetype that's pretty good.
>>
>>46923453
>That's player tier logic you just spouted anon.
You don't even know what to say to prove your point, I'm a forever GM not a player, I'm the referee, I can't play in the players team because that would affect my, supposedly, impartiality
>>
>>46923534
Please explain how this is so bad. By the time the monk gets this, any creature that would challenge it gets multiple attacks anyway. And this only works against arrows and crossbow bolts, not venom spits or fire breath or the myriad of ranged attacks enemies get by that point.

Furthermore, this monk is gimped in terms of damage output unless it closes to melee, where this ability loses all significance. It exists to emphasize its role as dealing less damage than other monks but with greater security.

The only situation where this is broken is when fighting a large amount of very low-level martials such as a horde of peasants. By 11th level, I think that's acceptable.

If you still disagree, please feel free to come up with a suggestion on how to improve Deflect Missiles without breaking it (since it's very thematically appropriate to improve the ability).
>>
>>46923589
As a DM you're a gameshow host first, a story teller second, and as a distant third a rules manager. This is because unlike a competitive sport, all the rules mean shit if the players aren't having fun playing with them.

DnD is not a competitive sport or game, it's a communal fun storytelling activity. If you can increase the fun for yourself without harming the fun for someone else, it's usually worth it.

Moreover, partiality isn't exclusive to DMPCs. What do you as a DM do when you find yourself liking the villain of the story? Hopefully you can find it within your self to ignore your feelings for your non DMPC characters and adjudicate rules in a primarily fun and secondarily fair way. If you can do that, you can run a DMPC without losing impartiality. If you can't do that, you're a shit DM. I've never had a problem killing off a DMPC if the situation called for it, I can't see how any nonshit DM would.
>>
>>46923689
Not him but you're not using the term DMPC right, DMPCs are PCs made for the solely purpose of playing when you GM, you're forcing them in the party, if you have several NPCs and the players like one just because and decide to bring him in their adventurers, that's not a DMPC, becuase you didn't know that would be the one chose and therefore is not your "PC" (even if it was ultimately made by you), at least not the one you wanted to play, is just one of the many. DMPC is usually use for That PC the GM plays, and usually has a negative connotation because well, it's a spotlight stealer mary sue special snowflake. Also you're playing them fairly frecuent, not a once every 10 sessions like typical BBEGs.

It's the same as optimizer and minmaxer, both might be similar, but have different connotations.
>>
It's easy:
>Does this "dmpc" has the same importance as a player?
Yes. Then DMPC
No. Then NPC
If it doesn't talk as much as a PC, his opinion isn't as important as those from a PC and his power doesn't shadow a PC, then isn't a DMPC.
If that "dmpc" is as important as any other player, then it's a DMPC and you might have to start thinking on backing down
>>
>>46923771
I refer you to the post where I laid out that exact definition:

>>46923231
>characters whose primary purpose is to let me play the game in somewhat the same way a player would

Don't be a semantic twit anon.
>>
>>46923811
Then you're doing it wrong and just because your players don't complain doesn't mean you're doing it right.
>>
>>46923854
>players have fun
>i have fun
>you're doing it wrong

You're literally arguing badwrongfun here anon. Go fuck yourself.
>>
I'm going to host my first campaign as a DM soon. Few questions for that:

I let my Players roll their stats in order to get some super high/low stats to build characters and to rollplay with them. Well they all have pretty good stats (far above average), would it be too unfair to tell them to choose one stat to be pretty low, like 6? Don't want to be a dick, but it's boring, if everyone has 10 or 12 on Charisma or Int.

Also, one of my players wanted to make a lawful-good or lawful-neutral Paladin. He thought about multiclassing into wild magic sorcerer, although wild magic doesn't match his background or flavor at all, should I allow him to do that?
>>
>>46923808
I mean they're pretty important in that they're more or less meant as established friendly rivals of the party.
>>
>>46923433
The warlord never made a lick of sense. Healing people by yelling at them and coming up with plans that could not be made in advance or even conveyed through messages but could only be spontaneously generated when you personally hit things with your sword. Tactics do not work that way.

The battlemaster makes a little more sense because most of his maneuvers are actual combat maneuvers now, like tripping or disarming a guy. But someone who specializes in tripping every single turn is not particularly fun, as the 3.5 fans can tell you. A character who's good at tripping and disarming should also be good at just hitting things with a sword in the usual way, and there needs to be some kind of rule in place that limits or disincentivizes the old trip-every-turn strategy.
>>
>>46923156
It's still pretty weak. The level 17 feature is the option to spend Ki for part of sharpshooter. The level 6 ability is the lesser (but still important) part of crossbow expert, and the ability to spend Ki for a different part of Sharpshooter. If they're supposed to be attacking from relative safety, they shouldn't be expected to make unarmed strikes from melee range. Also, Monks are already proficient with shortbows (and the light crossbow), since they're simple weapons. I'm also not sure why you'd want to use Wis to fight with a bow, since you're still using Dex for martial arts or flurry to land Stunning Strikes, the only other thing that benefits specifically from high Wis.

I see the flurry of arrows role already taken by fighter archer, so this needs some purpose to exist. Maybe bullshit trick shots? Like 4E's seeker.

>>46923534
>without limit
It would still cost Ki.
>>
>>46923920
If you really can't live without warlord, the baseline Valor Bard is pretty much it; the only weakness it has as a warlord build is that it doesn't get Mass Healing Words until level 10 (through secrets).

Combat Inspiration + Regular Inspiration + Song of Rest + Healing Word/Faerie Fire is pretty Warlordy as it is.
>>
I want to run a campaign based on a dream I had where there's a massive schism in the elemental plane of earth between the rock beings and crystal beings. Besides shardminds are there any other notable crystal lifeforms or will I have to homebrew?
>>
>>46923808
What I do is run the behind the scenes stuff with dice rolls, take any NPCs that do impressive stuff and build them as characters

One of my DMPCs sneaked and bluffed his way through the first half of dungeon and unlocked every door for the party on the night before they went in, using a spy statblock

Another one got away from a cultist ambush where she took down 5 bugbears single handedly with crits as a veteran

I made them into a mastermind rogue and a battlemaster fighter and they're currently working together taking over a major cultist outpost
>>
>>46919717
Not bad, pretty good even. Fighter is still stronger in my opinones, don't hace plz.
>>
Let's say I want to play an assassin or swashbuckler rogue, but for whatever reason, wearing armor is not an option. What would be the most beneficial way to shore up my AC? Unarmored defense from monk or a level of dragon sorcerer seem like the best options, though having a draconic lineage doesn't really fit for this character. I wanted to take Magic Initiate for Mage Armor but that would get me only half the day in Mage Amor.
>>
>>46920687
I find buying minis one or two at a time was pretty cheap for me.
>>
>>46924043
I forgot shortbows were simple weapons. I might as well remove that part of the clarification.

Wisdom to use bows is a staple of Zen Archery dating back to 3rd edition. The monk still needs a high dex for protection, but he can choose to forgo a high AC in favor of extra skill points or social interaction, which fits the archetype.

Unarmed strikes being an option is a parallel to the Sun Soul monk. Without spending ki, a Sun Soul monk can only attack once per turn, which is the cost of his ranged attacks. I used the same philosophy here - if you want to deal as much damage as a regular monk, you have to put yourself in greater danger.

You're right, a lot of this intersects with feats. I didn't really think about it because I tend not to use feats too much. Would it make sense to simply remove the ki costs of these abilities, since they're not all that OP?
>>
>>46924225
A Dex/Wis Assassin/Shadow Monk is a pretty solid multi-class.
>>
>>46924170
That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
>>
>>46924225
If you're going rogue the most efficient way is a monk dip, assassin works well with shadow monk too
>>
>>46923920
>Healing people by yelling at them
Yet Healing Word is still around.

>>46924073
I just want a short or no rest resource based martial character that can justify high Int and support their party. Like a rogue variant that gave other people sneak attacks.
>>
>>46924230

is there any brand or online store that has good variety or price, or do you just have to be patient?
>>
>>46924275
You browse 4chan, somehow I highly doubt that

Either way, stop hating on me for playing with myself
>>
>>46923183
Eh, I made a lizardfolk DMPC to play since one our guys quit and the cleric would frequently get his ass kicked. A quiet fighter who cooked, worked pretty well. Didn't steal the spotlight and playing a fighter is kinda fun.
>>
>>46924323
patient as shit, maybe even find an online auction for a bunch of figures and put bids oup
>>
>>46924291
But the Warlord was a Charisma class?

Also at level 5, spells aside a bard's main resources is a short rest resource.
>>
>>46924291
Then play a banneret with the healer, martial adept and inspiring leader feats
>>
>>46916927
First time dming? He's incompetent, go easy on him and introduce him to That Guy and That Dm tropes.
>>
>>46917073
Just sounds like bad luck, form a party order next time.
>>
>>46924259
>Wisdom to use bows is a staple of Zen Archery dating back to 3rd edition. The monk still needs a high dex for protection, but he can choose to forgo a high AC in favor of extra skill points or social interaction, which fits the archetype.

I know. I'm playing a Zen Archer in Pathfinder right now. There's really no practical reason to do it though. Originally it was for an extra bonus to hit by adding both Dex and Wis. The pathfinder zen archer build is literally a battle master with sharpshooter, crossbow expert, and precise strike with a hand crossbow reflavored into a shortbow.

>Unarmed strikes being an option is a parallel to the Sun Soul monk. Without spending ki, a Sun Soul monk can only attack once per turn, which is the cost of his ranged attacks. I used the same philosophy here - if you want to deal as much damage as a regular monk, you have to put yourself in greater danger.
Sun Soul monk can make all their attacks with sun bolts, which is like fighting unarmed from 30 feet except for the lack of stunning strike. The only thing they can't do is Martial Arts for a KI-free 3rd attack. They get a flurry equivalent.

>Would it make sense to simply remove the ki costs of these abilities, since they're not all that OP?
Yeah, but they also aren't very strong or interesting. The level 17 feature especially tends to be spectacular if impractical. like:
>Heartseeker
>As an action, make an attack with a bow against an enemy whose location is known to you. This attack has a maximum range of X instead of the bow's normal range, ignores cover, even total cover, and if it hits, the enemy must make a Constitution save or else.
Something like that, with an appropriate Ki cost and effect to be cool.
>>
The Conjurer wizard level 2 lets you conujure up any one object that you've seen before.

Could I conjure up a ball of caltrops all frozen in solid nitrogen?

How about a bomb just about to go off?

A dense chunk of a neutronium golem?

A bag of daggers/rats/polearm/glaives/halberds?

With the memes out of the way, what are the limits of this feature? It seems like it could be insanely fun if you have some creativity. What are some creative uses you've put it to, or seen it put to in your games?

Obviously I'd have to see these things, but that probably isn't hard for a wizard to arrange.
>>
>>46924366
>But the Warlord was a Charisma class?
Do you even tactics?

>Also at level 5, spells aside a bard's main resources is a short rest resource.
But a bard's main resource is spells. Inspiration is like Channel Divinity.

>>46924381
>Then play a banneret with the healer, martial adept and inspiring leader feats
And the banneret is a charisma class, the martial adept feat is bad if you don't have your own superiority dice, and the healer feat makes banneret's healing ability look stupid. Battle Master with Healer feat for a taclord is like playing Ranger for a beast master. It's the best we've gotten published but the mechanics feel wrong. Fighter is the get-supported class.
>>
>>46924496
>Originally it was for an extra bonus to hit by adding both Dex and Wis.
As per D&DTools, "you can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifi er when making a ranged attack roll."

>Sun Soul monk can make all their attacks with sun bolts
No, the Sun Soul monk can only fire one bolt, unless he spends a ki point, which allows him to fire 3 bolts.

I'll think about some spectacular/impractical level 17 substitute. Otherwise I'll just remove the ki cost.
>>
>>46924579
>Bard's main resource is spells
Not really. The fact that they made bard a full caster doesn't mean much (if anything it was a mistake).

A bunch of bard spells are basically replicating abilities bards used to get through song; their unique spells, especially, basically were just class abilities in 3.5 or 4e. And in the case of warlord, if you want in-combat healing, Healing Word is definitely a resource he'd use.

If you want a mundane warlord, there's Banneret or Battlemaster, but don't expect some of the more magicky stuff they got or, yno, just go Paladin.
>>
>>46924628
>As per D&DTools, "you can use your Wisdom modifier instead of your Dexterity modifi er when making a ranged attack roll."
The Order of the Bow class's zen archer feature gave you Zen Archery if you didn't already have it, or if you already had Zen Archery, you could use both Wis and Dex. I don't know which edition had the class with that exact feature, though.

>No, the Sun Soul monk can only fire one bolt, unless he spends a ki point, which allows him to fire 3 bolts.
Sun bolt is an attack. It can be used with the Attack action. After level 5, they can attack twice, or 4 times with a Ki point. There's probably even been a clarification about that at some point.
>>
>>46924720
>Int-justified,
>short or no rest,
>supportive martial character.
Pick one, apparently.
>>
>>46924740
Upon further reading, it seems you're right. The sun bolt is an attack, not an action.

Level 6, then, should probably enable flurry of blows to be used with a bow, or something along those lines. It shouldn't be available at level 3 (because even shortbows deal more damage than sun bolts at that point, and longbows are even stronger).

In that case, perhaps the 17th-level feature can combine the long-distance shot with the accurate shot. And maybe be a single, powerful arrow.
>>
>>46924810
There's no Int-justified classes this edition outside of book casters.
>>
>>46924865
That's why we need more classes/subpaths.
>>
>>46915822
He makes Bahamut fuck his sister.
>>
>>46924949
Like, it's the only one of your criteria that doesn't mesh with the other two.

And idg why the class having to be called Warlord or Fighter is so important. Like, Paladin can fit the bill, and "Valor" is literally a 2APR support quasi martial with short rest focused class abilities and a few long rest tricks.

A Bard isn't useless once they run out of spell slots.
>>
>>46924992
I played a campaign where the party true-polymorphed me into an ancient silver female dragon and got Bahamut to impregnate me. 3/10 would do again.
>>
>>46915589
What new Sub-classes i want to see?

Well here's a list:
Revenant pact warlock - gets power from the spirits of dead people who seek justice. Ghost themed.

Spirit-beast pact warlock - druid and totem barbarian fused into a warlock.

Arcane archetype monk with spellcasting like EK and AT + at 6 lvl can spend ki points to regen spell slots and of course melee spell attack+unarmed bonus action attack becomes a thing.

Witch-hunter archetype for ranger with better spellcasting.

Naturey Sorc archetype.
>>
>>46924992
And make her enjoy it.
>>
>>46924523
>get keen mind
>conjure exact copies of keys, maps, etc.
>leave your spellbook at home and conjure it
>conjure a magical dagger to stab shit
>get the criminal background and conjure up thieves' tools
>conjure a spyglass to see from afar
>conjure a collapsible 10-foot pole
>conjure a hunting trap
>conjure a small razor blade inside an apple, give to enemy
>conjure an umbrella if it rains
>conjure a cushion to be comfy

And now for the silly shit
>conjure a ball of pure plasma
>conjure a miniature black hole
>conjure expensive spell components
Etc
>>
>>46924865
What are arcane tricksters and eldritch knights?
>>
>>46919723
An incomplete understanding of geology and a desire to not give a shit.
>playing in a setting where the sun has been eaten by Dendar
>the surface world and all the oceans have frozen over
>everything happens in the Underdark, which remains miraculously dry
>point out that increased glaciation pressure would cause that bitch to fill to capacity and start shooting out to the surface like a fucking geyser
>SHUT UP
>can't even get DM to say "it's magic don't worry about it"
This is actually my second world-is-frozen-so-everyone-lives-underground campaign where nothing's flooded. Drives me up the wall because I'm a dwarf-fag, and consequently a rockfag.
>>
>>46925260
Book casters.
>>
>>46923529
This is correct. Flurry should work while wielding a greatsword, while the martial arts bonus attack should not.
>>
>>46922139
Sounds like Gothic 1 meets Dark Souls.
>>
>>46923920
>Tactics do not work that way.
it's magic, nigga
>>
>>46925232
>conjure a miniature black hole
But you can't see a black hole, only the accretion disk around it. And a "miniature" black hole would be giving off so much heat and Hawking radiation that you'd be fucking vaporized if you were close enough to see the disk. The smaller a black hole gets, the hotter it is.
>>
>>46925356
But god forbid using a caster to simulate a Warlord because that's evil.
>>
>>46922962
No wonder wotc says average game doesn't go beyond 11th level, you guys are bringing the average down.
>>
>>46925400
Well, Warlords also can't polymorph into dragons, drop meteors on everyone's heads, create walls of solid elements, transmute materials into other things, etc.

Maybe the Wizards should stay on their fucking side of the fence.
>>
>>46922962
>tfw I have never started my players lower than level 3
>>
>>46925472
I like starting at level 3 myself. Get all your comfy class features unless you multiclass.
>>
>>46925457
The only spell on the Bard list that you mentioned is True Polymorph. Bard list which happens to be shit like Heroism and Cures.

Like I said, my main bug with Bard is that the spell list would stand on its own more strongly if it was like a half-caster's; uniques would be less spread out (rn they're at levels 1, 4 and 9) for one.
>>
>>46925472
I'll literally only start them under 3 if I have to introduce new players, and most of that level 1-2 stuff is likely to feature one tutorial fight, at most.

Sometimes I rush to 4-5 so everyone gets a feat, too. Which seems to mesh with the fact that a lot of core NPCs are 5HD monsters.
>>
>>46924225
Barbarian, Dragon Sorc and Monk are your only options.

Sadow monk/Assasin

Swashbuckler/Dragon sorc

Any Rogue/Barb bug you need 13 Str for this.

Or just pick up defensive duelist.

There's also Warlock with armour of shadows invocation but thet's more than a 1 lvl dip.
>>
>>46925511
I'm trying to find where in this comment thread Bards were even mentioned.
>>
>>46925577
Because I said simulating Warlord with a caster.

And someone said "but wizard spells"

When the only caster that's cut out to simulate Warlord is either Bard, War Cleric or Paladin.
>>
>>46925536
Yes, that's what I've done, too. When I have a host of new players, they might start at 1-2 so they aren't overwhelmed by options (ha ha, like that's even a problem at 3) or have a chance to experience the system before committing to a level 3 character. It's just a quick tutorial adventure or something and nothing is capable of doing more than 2-3 damage. Like, you can have them fight goblins and shit, but they have to be statted like this is ye olde "kill rats in the tavern's cellar" quest.
>>
>>46923920

>Healing people by yelling at them

The only way this doesn't make sense is if you actually think that HP = physical damage, in which case you're an idiot. It's an abstraction, a mixture of minor physical damage, glancing blows, close calls, general stamina to dodge attacks, etc.

You're not yelling at a dude and making his fucking wounds knit up, that's stupid. You're basically getting his morale up, or telling him to grit through the pain, and that has a mechanical benefit of increasing his HP.
>>
>>46915616
>The only class I can think of being interested besides Psion is Shaman as either a divine sorc or a divine lock.
So, the DMs Guild shaman?
>>
>>46925661
Yeah pretty much, it seemed relatively well made.
>>
>>46925619
>genius tactician class
>not simulated by Intelligence
>>
5e noob here. Where do people talk about 5e most regularly? I'm spoiled by the paizo forums and all of the build guides and easily searchable content. Does anyone have a link to build lists?

More specifically, I'm considering doing a monk/druid(moon) and shifting into high dexterity forms and using flurry of blows. Is this a viable idea or are there not enough high dex forms?
>>
>>46925642
>The only way this doesn't make sense is if you actually think that HP = physical damage, in which case you're an idiot.
Counterpoint: falling damage.
>>
>>46925695
>Genius tacticians
>Not simulated by being able to read the enemy well and having a forceful personality.

Napoleon's main stat was charisma.
>>
>>46925709
Physical damage is PART of HP. It's just not the whole thing.

>>46925706
I'm not sure you can flurry with a natural weapon, but I may be mistaken.
>>
>>46925709
Falling damage starts ticking at heights that aren't really going to kill or particularly hurt anyone irl, but they're going to shake you.

So it makes sense as fatigue.
>>
>>46925748
Then how come you can lose all of it from pure physical damage?
>>
>>46925785
Same reason you can lose it all from psychic damage. The body has only so much tolerance for stress of all sorts. Any sort can overload and make you pass out.
>>
>>46925709
Physical hits are actually physical damage, but the idea that each individual wound can be quantified and labeled as 4 HP, 2 HP, 10 HP, etc., is wrong. The disparity in HP between a Wizard and a Fighter of equal level and Con is not the Fighter mysteriously being physically more durable. HP is a vague amalgam of damage and incovenience incurred, averaged over the body, which finally results in unconsciousness when it hits zero. If it were otherwise, every bit of Fire damage would necessitate a burn, every bit of Cold damage would necessitate some frostbite, Psychic damage would be an actual rending of the brain somehow, and having an ally put a fucking band-aid on you when you're KO'd wouldn't wake you back up at full alertness and capability.

It's been an abstract concept for the longest time, because to make damage occur in discrete incidences sends you flying down the road to full simulation and arguing over where each blow lands and how much that cripples a limb by and what effect that should have on your capabilities.
>>
>>46925785
If you really want to go fully detailed about it, your first HD is vitality, every gain after that is fatigue.
>>
>>46925748
Yeah, I want to flurry with unarmed strikes in animal form, using the dex to attack and damage from Monk. This was legit in 3.5/PF, can I make unarmed strikes in wildshape in 5e?
>>
>>46925925
It's up to the DM. A lot of class features like that aren't intended to stack and a lot of DM won't allow monk features in wildshape.
>>
>>46925925

RAW, no. Natural weapons are not the same as unarmed strikes, they are a separate category of "weapon." And Martial Arts only applies to unarmed strikes.
>>
>>46925709
That's not a counterpoint. 10' falls cause HP. Damage. 500' falls fail to kill you.
>>
>>46925925
The attacks displayed in monster stat blocks for Wild Shape can be considered (natural) weapons in their own right. You can make unarmed strikes, but they have to use the Martial Arts damage of the Monk; you can't say this 2d8 Hoof attack that whatever fucking Elk gets is your unarmed strike, it'd have to be a 1d6 (just like the Monk's bare fist at that level) that just happens to be delivered by a hoof. Or a tail, or a bite, or whatever the fuck.

Essentially, if a creature has any kind of special ability, don't expect to key your Monk features off it and you're good. This also goes for Unarmored Defense: you can either take the animal's AC, or whatever the normal form calculation is (sans any magical items that don't merge); you don't get to add Unarmored Defense to the naturally higher AC of the animal. The one explicitly stacking effect is Monk Speed and the speed and travel type of the creature.
>>
>>46925925
>>46926029
In wildshape you can still hit with unarmed strikes, but they would do your Martial Arts damage like a normal monk's would, not any of your claw/bite/slam/etc. attacks.

But honestly, if you're new to 5e, just go with a single class instead of gimmicky bullshit. You're not going to get much more powerful than a single-classed character with few exceptions.
>>
File: tiger.jpg (41KB, 404x544px) Image search: [Google]
tiger.jpg
41KB, 404x544px
>>46926065
>>46926074
Let's analyze a Monk 5 / Moon Druid 3 in Tiger form.

The human form of the Monk has 16 Dex and Wisdom. Its AC is 10+3+3 due to Unarmored Defense, so 16. The Tiger's base AC is 12. You can either have 16 or 12 AC as the Tiger, not 18; you take what the animal gives you or use the human calculation.

The Monk's AB is +6 in human form; 3 from Proficiency, 3 from 16 Dex. The Tiger has 12 Dex, so unarmed strikes in this form would actually be +5. This is coincidentally equal to the AB on the tiger's two natural weapon attacks, Bite and Claw. However, since the Tiger has 17 Strength, you could use Proficiency+Str for +6 AB on your unarmed attacks instead (even if the Monk's human form does not have that much Strength).

The Tiger can make one attack with either the Bite or the Claw. They do 1d10+3p and 1d8+3s, respectively. These natural weapons will not trigger Martial Arts' bonus action, or flurry of blows. You could, however, make two unarmed attacks at the Monk's natural 1d6+3 and simpy say this is a claw swipe or a bite without invoking the specific natural weapons, and those would trigger your Martial Arts abilities, maneuvers, etc. Having two attacks as the Monk does not enable the Tiger to make two natural weapon attacks; you either go full MA or full NA, no combining. If the Tiger had multiattack, mixing and matching those would be up to your DM.

Pounce will not trigger if you are making Martial Arts attacks, because it requires a hit from the Claw natural weapon, which is not useable if you are MAing.
>>
>>46926377
Some corrections: In animal form, your unarmored defense ability is still 10+dex+wis, so it would be 15 in Tiger form, since it has lower dex.

The natural weapon attacks can be used with Extra Attack, so it could use bite twice with Attack action.
>>
>>46926377
Tiger has 15 Dex and you have 16 Wis, your AC in tiger for is 15 with unarmored defense, not 16.
>>
>>46921390
It makes sense in context.

Basically, there were originally three creator-gods. One of them (the BBEG) wanted to have the world be guided by simple physical rules. He'd allow magic, sure, but only if there were equations to back it up.

The other two thought he was a retard so they just imprisoned him for all eternity. Then they proceeded to create a high-magic, low-consistency world where land spirals in all directions, light and heat have no source, and there's overall very little order. They then realized that such a world was hard to manage, so they created the Gods to help them.

BBEG escaped his imprisonment, murdered the other two over-gods, and is now making a show of force. The gods were intentionally created to be easily manipulable by the over-gods, just in case they accidentally made one too powerful or something, so the BBEG is just exploiting that to his advantage.

It helps that the gods are located in a room the two over-gods specifically designed to make them more manageable.
>>
>>46926377
I wouldn't allow martial arts unarmed strikes in animal form.

Think about it. Martial arts are about forms, and maneuvers, and honing your body's capabilities. Switching forms to something without arms to punch with, a form that's not bipedal so it can't kick... I'd argue none of your training would carry over.

You'd still have your wisdom-based AC, because that relies on intuition. But if your new form's "hands" are natural weapons, they're not suited for martial-arts-style unarmed strikes.
>>
>>46926775
I would allow it, literally makes no difference and gives them nothing
>>
>>46917738
The alchemist was one of my favorite classes in PF. But with the crafting the way it is in 5e, you're not likely to see the likes of that anytime soon
>>
>>46917880
Oh god you're going full Eric, never go full Eric.

Don't be 'that guy'

Talk to the dm or leave. Passive aggressiveness is fucking restarted.
>>
>>46926775
You may as well disallow Martial Arts of the Monk gets Enlarged or Reduced then, since their weight, speed, sense of balance, etc., would be completely thrown off.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that a Monk/Druid that intends to fight as a variety of animals would practice viable "animal martial arts". Shit, martial arts are all about animal stances and schools to begin with.

>Wisdom AC should carry over
Completely separate calculations. 5E is very explicit in not letting different calculations stack, otherwise you'd be able to Unarmored Defense from Barbarian and Monk at the same time, plus Sorcerer Draconic Resilience, plus Mage Armor, for 10+3+3+Dex+Con+Wis.
>>
>>46926849
I recognize that it doesn't make them any stronger and is more-or-less consistent with RAW, but as a DM I still wouldn't allow it because it makes no in-universe sense whatsoever, unless the character comes from a special naturey shape-shifting monastery.

Come to think of it, that's either the dumbest or the coolest idea ever.

>>46926891
I didn't say you'd get your original AC, but that you'd be able to carry over the calculation method (as 10+tiger dex+your wisdom).
>>
Ah, so what I'm hearing is that a Monk/Druid will probably get a higher AC, but the attack forms of the animals are better than martial arts?

Also, it would seem that wildshape doesn't stay competive if you just do a 2 lvl dip for Bear form, since the bear hp never increases. So if I did play a monk/druid, i'd want a lot of druid levels. At least 10 for elemental form?
>>
>>46920372
>6d3
What the fuck is a d3
>>
>>46926775
How does a Druid's melee combat training carry over when he turns into a bear? How is anything he learned in that form viable as a squid? Both lions and tigers can pounce, but why can't the tiger use pack tactics or running leap like the lion? Mules and elk both have hooves, so why can't the mule stomp? These abilities and the werewithal to perform them must be inborn to the forms and delivered to the wild shaper's knowledge ~magically~ when they take that form.
>>
>>46921337
>>
File: threesideddie.jpg (31KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
threesideddie.jpg
31KB, 600x450px
>>46926954
Alternatively, a 1d6 where 1-2 = 1, 3-4 = 2, 5-6 = 3.
>>
>>46926934
>but that you'd be able to carry over the calculation method (as 10+tiger dex+your wisdom).
Yes. I meant to agree with this guy as well >>46926716
What should be clear is that the base AC before Dex or Wisdom should always remain 10, not change it an animal happens to have, say, 15 AC despite a Dex of +2 (no saying "the animal effectively has a base AC of 13, so the Unarmored Defense should be 13+Dex+Wis or more simply 15+Wis").
>>
>>46926934
Where do you think the kung fu tiger style comes from? hairless apes that walk upright?
>>
File: butwhy.gif (4MB, 581x327px) Image search: [Google]
butwhy.gif
4MB, 581x327px
>>46926997
>>
File: eff.jpg (123KB, 721x1107px) Image search: [Google]
eff.jpg
123KB, 721x1107px
Sorry if this isn't on topic for this thread, but i need a bit of help.
So far I've played 4e and 5e, and i have a game with a new group this friday, playing 3.5
I've heard that 3.5 and 5 are pretty similar, i was just wondering if someone could highlight some bigger differences between the two, or if someone had a pdf, that would be fantastic.
Pls/ty
In the mean time, have a sexy elf
>>
>>46927091
Bring a sexy dwarf offering and maybe we'll talk.
>>
>>46927054
Yes, that's what I meant. 10 is the base for every calculation, as the game intended.

>>46927064
>>46926891
>Martial arts named after animals literally means fighting like the animal
No, they're inspired by core concepts in the animal's movement and tactics. There's literally no relevance to the animal's actual shape.
>>
>>46927091
>going from 5e to 3.5
There at too many differences to list. You are going in the wrong direction my friend
>>
>>46927091
3.5 is like pathfinder, which are both vastly different from 5e and 4e. Get ready to be bogged down with thousands of pages of unique rules.
>>
>>46927091

concentration of 5e doesn't exist in 3.5. concentration is used for every spell when it is cast in order to successfully complete the cast while threatened or disturbed. Pick cleric will skill focus in concentration and stack buff spells with spirit weapon.
>>
>>46927111
Yeah, and now you apply that while having a complete understanding of the animal's movements and tactics because you are one.

You don't use "tiger style" while in tiger form, you use "true-actually-a-fucking-tiger style". It's different, but the same. Are you saying a tiger couldn't be trained in some kind of tiger-specific martial arts? That if there were magical, talking tigers running around, you couldn't have tiger rogues and tiger fighters and tiger wizards? Why not tiger monks?
>>
>>46921337
>http://www.dmsguild.com/product/171344/Recipe-Crafting-for-Consumables

Not bad, if a bit long.
>>
>>46927091

fighters blow dick and anything that can't cast spells or max ranks in use magic device is unplayable.
>>
>illusionist wizard
>get to level 14
>spend downtime researching science
>int checks day in day out, eventually get working theory of quantum gravity with my 20 int, divination spells, etc
>take clone
>create clone in demiplane
>come across BBEG 120 days later
>create 15 foot wall of antimatter illusion
>make it real
>die
>respawn at clone
>remake the world in my image

What's stopping me from doing this?
>>
>>46926978
>>46927185
Thanks a lot for this
This is just what I was looking for.
>>
>>46927210
>Create illusion
>Make it real
Que?
>>
>>46927210
>make it real

What did he mean by this
>>
>>46927210
>What's stopping me from doing this?
A DM that's not an idiot or a pushover.
>>
File: illusoryreality.gif (193KB, 917x491px) Image search: [Google]
illusoryreality.gif
193KB, 917x491px
>>46927248
>>46927273
>>46927291
Huh? This seems permissible via raw.
>>
>>46927348
It is, except for that nasty DC 50 check
>>
>>46927368
RAILROADING

Also, I'm pretty sure DCs that high are outside the bounded accuracy system 5e was built around.
>>
>>46927210

>applying real world science/physics to D&D
>ever

Kill yourself
>>
>>46927348
The illusionary antimatter explodes before you can make it real. Fortunately, the explosion is also illusionary.

Why don't you just say "lol i create an illusionary nuke!"
>>
>>46927473
If players try to do this kind of thing in my game it just wouldn't work
Why?
Because magic
>>
File: Tome-of-Beastsyeeah - Copy.jpg (288KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tome-of-Beastsyeeah - Copy.jpg
288KB, 1024x768px
>>46915589
SOON...

Four hundo new 5e monsters!! BABEEEEE
>>
>>46927408
It's not railroading so long as you don't say no, besides, if you're a dick player, no sane dm is going to give you the power to destroy everything with antimatter.
>>
>>46927210

"Huh, looks like you just proved your theory of quantum gravity wrong. Nothing happens"
>>
>>46927541
>DM
>Sane
Hahahahahahahahaha oh god please kill me
>>
>>46927091

WWW.D20srd.org
>>
>>46919183
favored soul doesn't exists in 5e. there is an example of how you might do it in the DMG but this is no official play tested Favored Soul class or archetype.
>>
>>46927587
I believe you mean there's an example in Unearthed Arcana.
https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/modifying-classes
>>
>>46927488
Sure, that works too.

Okay, how about this: less world destroying stuff.

>be conjurer or illusionist
>use class features (level 2 conjurer, level 14 illusionist) to create gunpowder near an enemy
>use a fire cantrip to hit it

How would the DMs of /5eg/ rule on this one?

as a dm of /5eg/ I would allow it.

>>46927587
I don't know if it's in the DMG, but there was one in the classmaking UA, which was terrible. It was kind of funny. They specifically talk in the class making one about how adding spells to the sorcerer spell list is a bad idea. And then they make a custom sorc that adds a ton of spells to the sorcerer spell list.
>>
>>46927532
>people actually use pre-made monsters and stat blocks instead of tailoring their strengths to the party on the fly
baka
>>
>>46927637
Unfortunately, you only make one grain of gunpowder real.
>>
File: dnd illusion.png (369KB, 461x304px) Image search: [Google]
dnd illusion.png
369KB, 461x304px
>>46927637
That is the most bullshit, anti-fun, wannabe munchkining fuckery I have seen in quite awhile.

No.
>>
>>46927111
>No, they're inspired by core concepts in the animal's movement and tactics. There's literally no relevance to the animal's actual shape.
Maybe in some universe without actual dragons
>>
>>46920199
hes a rogue modron goolock
>>
>>46927640
What an awful existence. I weep for you.
>>
>>46927662
A bucket of gunpowder then. That's a single object. If you're going to differentiate based on grains, you may as well differentiate based on molecules too. Or atoms. Or subatomic particles.

Alternatively, a block of explosive clay, or a huge quantity of alchemist fire, etc, etc. I thought about caltrops too, and you could probably create multiples if you created the object "caltrops frozen in solid oxygen".

>>46927709
The antimatter isn't directly harming anyone. The antimatter reacts with the matter in the air and ground, annihilating it to create a total energy explosion, which then harms a lot of people. I left it out because I didn't think that paragraph was relevant.
>>
>>46927637
Yeah I'd allow it, it's not like it would do a whole lot, it would be about 2d6
>>
>>46927793
That's the same kind of mental gymnastics they put that line there to stop, because they knew it'd be twisted to say, "I create an illusionary elephant 50 feet above the enemy, then make it real. It falls and crushes them." Hey, it's not the elephant doing damage, it's the forces of physics or the enemy being smashed into the ground.
>>
>>46927793
Yikes. I do not envy any DM you play with.
>>
>>46927744
>not having an intuitive understanding of how AC, AB, APR, and other effects combine to create a given level of threat to a party
>not being able to assemble all of this on the fly
>binding yourself to punching a bunch of cookie cutter monsters into a tool and asking it to calculate the threat, then wondering why the fight was too easy or too hard
>>
>>46927907
I am the DM anon. I just like thinking of silly things to do in the system.
>>
>>46927210
A single character, alone, without the thousands of years of science involved in the development, won't figure quantum mechanics just because they have an IQ of 180.
>>
>>46928003
No, but a single character, with daily truthful answers from God might.
>>
>>46928040
>Implying God understands Quantum Mechanics
>>
>>46928040
>he thinks deities understand quantum physics
ho ho ho ho ho
In just about every setting, they're just cosmically powerful idiots. The kind of truly omniscient creator of everything that would have to exist to allow this, well, wouldn't allow it.
>>
>>46928090
Technically Divination doesn't give them a choice in the matter.

Which could set up an interesting plot line where the overgod that is answering the questions decides to intervene to prevent things from getting out of hand. But doesn't want to simply splat people, so arranges for the party to try to kill the guy.

Also, warlock patrons, or nature herself, might know quantum mechanics. I would hope nature does. So a dip in druid or warlock might be in order.
>>
>>46928149
>the DM offers a truthful reply
"Beats me."
"I'm not going to tell you for cosmic reasons."

>specific goal, event, or activity that occurs within 7 days
So, what? God, how do I come 0.91% closer to understanding quantum mechanics by the end of the week?
>>
File: vader.jpg (355KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
vader.jpg
355KB, 2048x1365px
I finished writing out my BBEG's introduction.

http://pastebin.com/nQfmVjvZ

Have I managed to make him threatening without it being cheesy or otherwise terrible? Some bits might not make sense without context, but I think the gist should be there.
>>
>>46928149
At some point you have to break from realistic physics because otherwise you wouldn't have magic. Quantum mechanics are so deep into the realm of how the real world works that they shouldn't actually exist in a D&D setting.
>>
>>46928234
Fuck quantum theory. My game world doesn't even have germ theory.
>>
>>46928040
>He thinks the gods are going to explain the code
>He thinks gods who aren't the demiurge even understand the code
>>
What would be more interesting for a quick-fix for strength monks: Replacing dexterity with strength, or wisdom with strength?
>>
>>46928230
>>specific goal, event, or activity that occurs within 7 days
>So, what? God, how do I come 0.91% closer to understanding quantum mechanics by the end of the week?

I won't respond to the obviously railroading answers, but this merits discussion: Divination is the ultimate experimental tool, because you can use it to skip entire experiments.

>when I devote all my spell slots over the next few days to developing a particle accelerator, and then successfully accellerate two electrons into each other at 99.99999% the speed of light, what will happen?

>>46928234
Quantum mechanics might be how magic works at all anon.
>>
>>46928234
>his campaign setting doesn't feature a fully quantified magic system which reduces it to just another physical phenomenon with rules, the truth of which is simply unknown to quaint archwizards and even the gods
>>
>>46928332
>Your magic and an offering put you in contact with a god or a god's servants. Vou ask a single question concerning a speeific goal, event, or activity to occur within 7 days. The DM offers a truthful reply. The reply might be a short phrase, a cryptic rhyme, or an omen.

It literally isn't and I think you haven't actually read the spell description properly. You merely saw what you wanted it to say.
>>
>>46928409
isn't what?
>>
>>46928332
>nothing, because a particle's maximum speed is half light speed, you will just send something flying very very fast
B-but muh photons
>No such thing in this universe, light is pure magical radiation, at its most fundamental, matter is composed of unmanipulable elemental magic, beyond the reach of even the gods
>>
>>46928468
"The ultimate experimental tool," I'd guess.
>>
>>46928486
See, now me and the DM are taking each other down the road of creating a completely new physics system. This is fun.
>>
>>46928468
It isn't a particularly useful tool.

Answers only have to be technically true, but not obviously meaningfully true, and they actually don't even have to put you in touch with the actual god.

Basically you can make it cryptic enough that you might as well do the experiment in the time it will take to figure out what is meaningfully true in the reply.
>>
>>46928317
Martial Arts already allows you to sub Dex for Str in most cases Str would be relevant. Subbing Str for Wis would be incoherent, both mechanically (Why sub something you're gonna depend on anyway?) and thematically.

That's stupid, you're stupid, stop posting.
>>
>>46928512
>well then how about-
Magic that predates even the gods, it cannot be manipulated at that level
>but the wis-
Magic that predates even the gods, etc. Etc.
>how abou-
Please refer to answer 1
>>
>>46928332
>when I devote all my spell slots over the next few days to developing a particle accelerator, and then successfully accellerate two electrons into each other at 99.99999% the speed of light, what will happen?

>Eremin, the Ranger of Calabor Forest, will be peturbed.
It's a truthful reply, but not one that should make any sense to your caster taking shots in the dark.
See, Eremin is peturbed because all the wolves are starving. The wolves are starving because the minks have been hunted to near extinction by humans. This hunting is driven by the obscene price of their fur. Their fur is now so valuable because Korbin the Haberdasher is buying them all up. He's doing this because there's an incredible demand for wigs. People need wigs because all their hair fell out. It fell out because they have cancer. They got cancer from a fucker accelerating massive particles to near-c in atmosphere. That fucker blew himself up, by the way.
>>
>>46928396
Go away, Sanderson.
>>
>>46928589
It's chemo that causes hair loss, not cancer itself

Good try though

Naysmith anon- away!
>>
>>46928696
> implying that CERNomancy is a completely reasonable use of magic, but that chemothaumapy wouldn't also be a thing in the same setting
>>
>>46923126
>everyone gets an item that they will likely cherish throughout the game
>except the ranger
>he gets 20 arrows

Ah, fucking over the ranger, way to emulate the spirit of WotC.
>>
>>46928696
See, you didn't even catch the step in the chain where the cancer was specifically melanoma of the scalp.
>>
>>46928620
Did Sanderson invent a more elementary particle which comprises all fermions and responds to peturbations of an energy field which the structure of sufficiently advanced brains coincidentally generates due to a quirk of physical structuring which can also be present in non-sentient objects in the natural world? I didn't think so.
>>
>>46928734
Greater Restoration doesn't have that side effect

>>46928757
Again, not the cancer, but the interferon treatment

Away!
>>
>>46928850
Also, bladelock is fine and ranger only needs 1-2 tweaks to each subclass
>>
>>46928926
Oh yeah, and there are 4 perfectly good sets of full plate in the Death House that resize to fit any player and don't disintegrate upon removal.
>>
>>46928850
Since you either didn't understand or are pretending to be dense, let me spell out that "melanoma" = a type of skin cancer and "scalp" = the part of your head where hair grows. Someone with skin cancer on the the top of their head would indeed experience follicle death and hair loss without use of any chemotherapy treatments.
>>
>>46928965
Absolutely, also a bag of rats is a perfectly valid way to gain hitpoints for fiend warlocks and long death monks
>>
>>46929023
Unfortunately, my DM will only allow glaives as monk weapons, not halberds.
>>
>>46928926
>>46928965
>Bladelock is fine
>Beastmaster is fine
Well memed, my friend

>>46929023
>Bag of rats
GTFO
>>
>>46928926
>>46928965
>>46929023
>>46929066

Okay, but guys, a bag of daggers and Mage Hand Ledgerdomain. I feel that would do some decent damage. Also, dragonborn are a meme race.
>>
>>46929089
Why pay for real daggers when you could make illusionary daggers above your enemies' heads and turn them real with Illusory Reality?
>>
>>46929013
Look guy, it's okay to not have any idea of how melanoma or cancer in general works, but pretending you do and spewing pseudosience just makes you look like a retard
>>
>>46929174
>>46929013
>>>/sci/
>>
>>46929174
You're so caught up on thinking I've clearly conflated cancer and chemotherapy that you haven't even stopped to consider if it's possible that there's some way hair follicles could die or hair could fall out without chemotherapy drugs being introduced. Like, say, I don't know, skin cancer transforming a normally hairy area into a disgusting gooey sore that eventually splits open.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=916&bih=491&q=scalp+cancer
And before you immediately jump to "those areas have been shaved" and claim it applies to every image, let me just call you a faggot in advance.

Please accept concede this point so we can move on to the next step of the argument, perhaps about how your character could foresee all these consequences and unravel the God's meaning, or how he more carefully phrased his Divination question.
>>
Did we not get a April UA?
>>
>>46929374
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/gothic-heroes
>>
>>46929408
>responding to memes
>>
>>46929455
Memeing to responses
>>
>>46929408
I actually missed it.

Aand this goes in my game's actually DM-approved options.
>>
>>46929574
Yeah, I allow underpowered UAs too
>>
>>46929574
>New BM that uses SD as enhancing rolls instead of maneuvers
>Detective Rogue

I can dig it. Revenant would be situational as balls.
>>
>>46929574
>>46929612
Do you allow ambuscade ranger?
>>
>>46929120
Why wait until level 14, when you can do that at level 2 with conjuration?
>>
>>46929656
>Do you allow the most broken feature and even worse, at 1st level?
what do you think? It's an even better Action Surge that works at the start of every combat ever, no short rest needed
>>
>>46929834
Combat isn't that important in my games. It's only about a third of the experience.

Conjuration Level 2: Minor Conjuration, is easily the most overpowered class feature in the game.
>>
For warlock invocations that have level requirements, are the requirements class level or character level?
>>
>>46929899

Class level, thankfully. Having it be overall character level would be fucking stupid as shit.
>>
>>46929656
No sir, I allow spell-less though

I have my own fixes for ranger
>>
>>46929656
Ambuscade Ranger, the UA version of Storm Sorc and I think Artificer are about the only UAs I wouldn't allow.
>>
>>46929933
That's what I thought, but I had to be sure, because eldritch blast scales with overall level, which is also retarded as shit.
>>
>>46929963
> UA version of Storm Sorc
Why? is not even broken, in fact I'm surprised they didn't go with that instead of the weak shit we got in SCAG

Same with Artifier, it's pretty weak
>>
>>46929999
At first sight it seemed to make Wild Sorc obsolete, same issue as with Favored Soul really.

Also Artificer less because it's a wizard kit and more because it breaks how I handle potions and magic items; the former are alchemy at ever higher DCs, the latter are literally not something I want a class dedicated to making, least of all wizard.
>>
>>46929951
>>46929834
>>46929963

How about Deep Stalker Ranger?
>>
>>46930054
It's on top of the list of "non-core things I allow" in my players' house rules textfile.
>>
>>46929963
Dude
Undying light?
Tunnel fighter?

Come on, some of that stuff is insane
>>
>>46930054
Deep Stalker is ok, on the same level as Hunter
>>
>>46930054
It works, about balanced with the other two after a couple of fixes
>>
>>46930089
Undying Light isn't too bad. I think if they shifted the come back from the dead one to once per short rest and put it at 14, then gave the temporary healing one to 6 with a scaling amount of hitpoints, it'd be fine.
>>
>>46930089
>Undying light
Pretty good, but not broken
>Tunner fighter
See above, only people who misread it will think it's broken
>>
>>46930119
-And beastmaster after one or two small fixes to each

Stupid phone is auto-posting
>>
>>46930147
Tunnelfighter is fundamentally broken. Any feature that disconnects the attack function from an action or reaction cost is broken, if it doesn't impose some sort of hard limit on its own.
>>
>>46930089
I like Undying Light conceptually because I think Warlock is a better flavor than Sorc for Favored Soul.

Tunnel Fighter is broken on the defense, but I've yet to see it in play because my players who did go fighter would pick Battlemaster, Cavalier or EK 9 times out of 10
>>
>>46930201
Oh don't get me wrong, I like them in concept, I just think they're a bit too good
I'd like to refluff UL as "Solar Pact" with the changes >>46930145 suggested
Thread posts: 386
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.