[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

File: Chess_2564736b.jpg (59KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Chess_2564736b.jpg
59KB, 620x387px
Where do you play? How do you improve? Where do you analyse your games? Any Software/Website that you use? How much do you play/week? Any achievements? What's your rating? Who do you follow?

Come on bros, let's get some chess discussion going
>>
What does chess have to do with math and science?
>>
>>7815346
Did you know that the Fuks™ match making system uses the same algorithm as christianmingle.com
>>
lichess or chess.com?
>>
>>7815357
Sauce?
>>
>>7815363
lichess
>>
I'm ~2800 FIDE.
Ask me anything.
>>
>>7815397
prove it
>>
>>7815397
Can you beat kingscrusher?
>>
>>7815397
Can you beat this chess app I have on my $30 smartphone?
>>
Being a chess prodigy has never been shown to be related to proficiency in math and or science.
>>
>>7815423
>what is g factor
>>
>>7815397
How much, and how, do you practice?
>>
>>7815423
my university chess steam was formed solely of people doing STEM degrees, so idk
>>
>>7815424
>>7815427
I forgot how insecure undergrads are. There is a reason STEM is still for le geek type.
>>
Amateur chess player here looking to improve my game and participate in tournaments. Managed to win president of my chess club and beat the club sponsor several times(have witnessed him win against a FM).

Any tips?
>>
>>7815346
Honestly, like your sports, you're supposed to grow out of chess and other games after high-school. Focus on more important things.
>>
>>7815409
Easily, not sure about his dog tho. Haven't seen him in a while, does he still play these crappy openings a do those silly analyses with Stockfish?

>>7815426
Tourneys, online, with friends and coaches. At lest 6 hours a day, tons of studying and refreshing theory and opening preparation, too.
>>
>>7815459
what do you do for relaxation?
>>
>>7815462
Masturbate to cartoons of scantily clad underage girls.
>>
>>7815461
>6 hours a day
so is chess your dayjob? what else do you do? why are you on sci?
>>
>>7815466
Just chilling. A friend of mine frequents this place and knows all the 'dank memes', I'm more of a club & beer guy.
>>
>>7815466
Oh and I do lots of sports, it's extremely relaxing after a long day at the desk.
>>
>>7815470
so how much a year do you make?
>>
>>7815462
Stay fit from lifting+rowing machine cardio (most efficient way time wise). When I get really sick of work I read outside my field or do pencil sketch drawing, also shitposting here of course.

The thing about chess is I can't relax when I play it anymore, once you play competitive you can't go back, your mind stays in a competitive state every time you play and it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain your game at a certain level. I don't want my hobbies to consume more time than my work. Especially something like chess which isn't rewarding outside of improving at chess. Yes I could play lower league tournaments, but then I'd go back to being in competitive mode and go full autism spending countless hours improving my game.

Reading outside my field includes other STEM fields and I often gain inspiration from it, but generally it's just enjoyable. When I'm studying chess strategies I feel constant malaise and guilt like I should be doing something more important.

>>7815465
I tried watching anime and couldn't get into it, I don't know what /a/ sees in that shit.
>>
>>7815474
you're anish giri?
>>
>>7815423
Tell that to the Russians, particularly during the Soviet era
>>
>>7815346
I used to play chess with a guy that played Bobby Fischer in a tournament. Guy lost. I almost always lost against the guy, but I gave the guy trouble because my game was unorthodox and chess is a very deterministic game, especially at higher levels. The nature of the game is why computers are so fucking good at it.

You memorize openings. you memorize scenarios. I did a weird new opening game every time and adjusted from there. I invented an okay opening that spends 6 turns moving pawns into controlling the board and works well against certain openings. It gets you check-mated in 5 turns if you don't pay attention to the other asshole's opening.
>>
Me - 2
/sci/ - 0

Step it up senpai

http://lichess.org/OIpcrMEC
>>
>>7815386
Skip to 5:03
https://youtu.be/isVrIuraCs0
>>
>>7815397
are you playing any of the current tournaments?
>>
>>7815491
iktf, I left my job because I could keep up with it, school and chess at the same time.
>>
>>7816190
Yes.
>>
>>7816514
so you're one of the top 5 chess players in the world? only 2 people are rated over 2800+
>>
>>7815397
Naka is that you
>>
>>7816526
naka has a classic rating of 2787, im assuming hes talking about classic rating
>>
>>7816514
so you've played magnus carlsen?
>>
I sign up for sites and resign until I get like 100 rating and then use stockfish to play people and I trash talk in chat.

Pretty funny to see them get upset.
>>
>>7815423
>Being a chess prodigy has never been shown to be related to proficiency in math and or science.
To be great at chess you would have to be a massive autist, naturally there will be correlation between chess and math/science ability.
>>
>>7816580
>to be great at chess you would have to be a massive autist

what is a massive autist to you? the chess world champion seems pretty normal to me
>>
Chess is no different from tic tac toe
>>
>>7816585
>the chess world champion seems pretty normal to me
Magnus is a huge autismo, I've played soccer with him on many occasions. He tries _very hard_ to be normal but he just isn't, it's painfully obvious if you meet him in person. He also gets super defensive if you ever imply that what he does or can do isn't normal.
>>
>>7816602
that comes as a surprise, he seems normal in interviews, doesnt sound autistic at all
>>
>>7815841
>6 Pawn moves in the opening
Jesus Christ.

>>7816580
It has been shown to increase focus, math ability, abstract problem solving and a slight (5-10) IQ increase in children.

>>7816608
He has assburgers at least, read up on his childhood.

Anyways, 2000ish player here. Ask away.
>believing the 2800 guy
Shiggy
>>
>>7815397
sup Magnus
>>
>>7816593
you are no different from other apes
>>
File: chess.jpg (320KB, 782x677px) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
320KB, 782x677px
checkmate :^)
>>
>>7816868
Akagi pls go
>>
>>7815348
If you ask that question, you don't belong on this board.
>>
>>7816602
I know his pain, to be categorized alongside drooling, hand-flapping retards despite being successful really hurts. I dont fit in with my peers, I got diagnosed with autism and then sent to an aspergers group. I did not fit in with them either because they were all fucking Chris-Chan tier. Was highly embarrasing to be seen with them. And then theres he fact that every katana-wielding school shooter gets confirmed as autistic in the media. I just cringe thinking that when people I know read about guys like Elliot Rodger Im probably the first person they think of.
>>
>>7816893
Why tell people you're autistic then?
I think the high-functioning thing is just misdiagnosis; psychiatrist shills telling people they're autistic when they're really just introverted. Most autists I've met in real life don't seem self aware at all.
>>
>>7816868
>:^)
Reported.
>>
>>7816578
lol
>>
>>7816872
the saki thread doesn't exist on /a/ anymore though :( not that any of those autists ever actually played.
>>
>>7816804
>It has been shown to increase focus, math ability, abstract problem solving and a slight (5-10) IQ increase in children.
So does studying math. I see no reason to practice your chess game instead of just working on your actual target.
>>
>In December 2013, Carlsen publicly denied having a form of autism spectrum disorder in an interview with Norwegian tabloid Verdens Gang, amid persistent speculation. He went on to clarify his earlier response in 2008 during a Q&A session with Nettavisen, during which he replied, "yes, isn't it obvious?"[209] He went on to say that he considers himself to have "normal social skills and to be functioning normally."[210]

kek
>>
>>7816902
SJW psychiatrist told me to shout it from the rooftops. I quickly realized that this made others look down on me but the damage was done. Had to completely ditch my old social circle, quit university, changed number, moved house. Now nobody outside of family knows I have an autism diagnosis.
>>
i got 1750 elo as a teenager, now I just play casually online from time to time
i hate the common misconceptions like "chess is just calculation" and "you need to memorize shit", it can be a pretty fun game
>>
>>7816936
>protip: autism spectrum disorders are the modern ADD/ADHD
>>
>>7816936
>Falling for the feminism meme
kek. It works for women because men are attracted weak women. Women and men alike despise any weakness in males. Hide that shit and bury it deep Anon. People will never love or respect you if they know.
>>
>>7815397
Caruana?
>>
File: 3429201.jpg (100KB, 640x800px) Image search: [Google]
3429201.jpg
100KB, 640x800px
>>7815397
Who do you think will win Tata Steel?
>>
http://lichess.org/BvEZWXUi

No time limit and you get to be white!
>>
http://lichess.org/py9TbEl1

20 min random
>>
>>>>>/tg/
>>
>>7817564
>>>/out/
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.