[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 70

File: imgres-1.jpg (9KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
imgres-1.jpg
9KB, 279x180px
Need a knife for general hiking and small brush clearing. Was thinking Gerber Strongarm right now cause it doesn't rust easy and I need it for when it snows. Any recommendations/reviews.
>>
File: skrama.jpg (685KB, 2678x1508px) Image search: [Google]
skrama.jpg
685KB, 2678x1508px
bring this, forget bringing any other tool
>>
>>898491
>forget having room or weight to spare for any other tool
ftfy

Also OP, that Gerber Strongarm knife looks pretty solid. I like it because it's just a simple, solid blade without bells & whistles, tacticuul add-ons, or gimmicky bullschidt. I would honestly like one myself.
>>
File: IMG_9532.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9532.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
>>898493
Save weight by leaving you're sharpener at home!

Kill two birds with one stone by sharpening the blade while starting fires!
>>
File: peps.jpg (52KB, 414x230px) Image search: [Google]
peps.jpg
52KB, 414x230px
>>898497
p-peps?
>>
>>898487
>Knife for brush clearing
U wot m8?
This anon's blade >>898491 is also available in the same steel SAKs are made of, nearly unrustable.

General light and stainless utility blade?
Mora.

General thing:

Look at these blades anons.
Hand forged in Thailand and cost nothing.

http://store.aranyik.com/#!/Machetes/c/15740170

Also take a look at Ganzo knives at Gearbest.com
>>
File: IMG_0825.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0825.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>898503
I don't know what you're talking about. I drink Diet Coke.
>>
>>898487
>hiking and small brush clearing

lightweight, clears small brush, doesn't rust easy, doesn't cost anything
>>
I should probably have clarified on the brush clearing. I do a lot of backcountry snowboarding in the winter, and my friend and I stumbled on a few trails that were just kinda fucked cause of twigs and branches, so I need something to carry snowboarding to clear some of those out.
>>
>>898572
$5 HF machete
>>
>>898572
>>
>>898572
Swamp Rat Rodent Waki
>>
File: tmp_28573-images(54)653574325.jpg (4KB, 329x153px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_28573-images(54)653574325.jpg
4KB, 329x153px
Schrade full tang 22" machete. Nice rubber grip and breddy belt sheath for 12 freedom bucks.

Also great for lopping off body parts.
>>
>>898487
>Ive never been innawoods or had any woodgear
Buys shit knife lol its a gerber....
>>
>>898527
>
Where would one get a MOLLE sheath for that particular one?
>>
>>898702
>molle
>>>/k/
>>
File: Machetes2.jpg (162KB, 802x568px) Image search: [Google]
Machetes2.jpg
162KB, 802x568px
>>898702

There are none that I know of. You might be able to find a random sheath that fits. Amazon seems to carry some molle machete sheaths. I can give you the measurements on it if it helps...

19 3/4" long
14 1/2" blade
2 7/8" at widest point near the front

I recommend owning a lighter-weight machete like this if you're also looking at xbox hueg machetes like aranyik, some condor (half the condors I've used have chipped readily during reasonable use btw) or a traditional kukri. No hate for big fat machetes, I'd just get a lighter one for variety and these are dirt cheap and work.

If you don't like the shape (I LOVE this shape) tramontina makes other shapes... I'd get one of the wood handle ones though.
>>
File: 1472576918311.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
1472576918311.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>898487
People like to talk shit about Gerber but the Strongarm is USA made and a pretty good bang for the buck. It will serve you fine, anon.
>>
This is a Schrade F26 after two times of 8 hour vinegar soaking and 15 minutes steel wool scrub under running water.

I love the look. Matte grey is ten times more beautiful than shiny black.
>>
>>899238
>not using mustard for a tigerstrip camo look

Why, anon?
>>
>>899250

kek... i have an opinel where I did this and it looks goofy as fuck. :)
>>
>>899250
That only works on corrosive steel. This is stainless, which begs the question why they applied the anti-corrosive paint in the first place.

Probably to please the tacticool autists.
>>
>>899266
>Sri Lankan Hamster Farming IMG BBS
>does not post IMG

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!
>>
>>898760
god forbid someone likes something that you dislike.
>>
>>898760
>homosexual behaviour
>>>/lgbt/
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mpvfe7hlx01s4j6lv.jpg (60KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mpvfe7hlx01s4j6lv.jpg
60KB, 500x328px
>>898487
I highly recommend this knife, called a mora. It's cheap and made of Swedish steel. If you don't know what makes a knife a knife, this is a good first pick
>>
>buying shitty expensive meme trash

just get a mora you dickhead they're 20 bucks and will only stop working if you drop it in a volcano

>>900647 isn't a retard
>>
>>899276

It's a high carbon stainless steel, it does have a high amount of carbon and can still rust.
>>
>>898487
Moras are great. theyre cheap, but durable. carbon steel blade is sharp as hell, and if anything goes wrong you can get another one for literally 11$
>>
File: IMG_1548.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1548.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Do you guys think this edge is salvegable or is it gone?
>>
>>898487
What do you guys think about the BK2?
>>
>>900860

That's not how free chromium works. Read a fucking book.
>>
>>902137

If this is a serious question you should probably just stay home.
>>
>>902150
god forbid an anon make conversation in a relevant thread.

do me a favor, make an amazon wishlist, add pic related to your list, and then post your list in the /out/ christmas thread. i'll buy it for you and throw-in a salt shaker while i'm at it
>>
File: roncola_NG1.jpg (20KB, 745x288px) Image search: [Google]
roncola_NG1.jpg
20KB, 745x288px
You'll never find a better tool than this
>>
>>902152

I should probably buy a new knife while I'm at it. Mine got a few tiny chips that could take me upwards of 15 minutes to grind out on a bench stone, so you know, completely un-salvageable.

Dude, it's supposed to be a tool. It's supposed to get dirty and need to be sharpened from use.

Quit wearing it like a purse.
>>
>>902137
>>902150
>>902164

While I would generally agree that the idea that a few small visible chips would render a blade "unsalvageable" is a hilarious example of how cucked modern folding knife buyers are, I will point out that the idiotic recurve in that blade means you can't just whip out a Norton Crystolon coarse and fix it in like 15 mins.

Have fun sharpening those chips out with a diamond rod of whatever else you'd need to use because of the idiotic recurve.

I'd throw it in the garbage and buy something WITHOUT a recurve.
>>
>>902152
>$25.49 for one
>$89.00 for two
Wut?

And tell me moar about these salt shakers...
>>
File: 51EtGvMB6HL.jpg (35KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
51EtGvMB6HL.jpg
35KB, 390x390px
>>902200
Idunno man, amazon has been a disaster ever since they opened-up the marketplace/3rd party vendors thing. Prices seem to be all over the shop, and it just used to be a lot more orderly.

Peps I'll buy you pic related salt shaker for Xmas if you want!
>>
>>902206
>>
File: rsz_img_20161128_120141.jpg (350KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
rsz_img_20161128_120141.jpg
350KB, 1328x747px
>>
>>902206
Damn those are dank.

And Amazon always confuses the shit out of me too. Search for a $60 fishing reel and get "276 New & Used From $24.88". I normally order from actual retailers aside from a couple of EBay purchases but my mom and sister order from Amazon a lot and now I just try n look for stuff with the "Prime" label.
>>
>>902243
When it comes to Amazon, only buy items "sold and shipped by Amazon".

I wholly avoid "Fulfilled by Amazon", 3rd party sellers, and "Warehouse Deals" (that shitbox seller is actually the Amazon Returns department and they have an absolutely toxic reputation for literally reselling returned goods without checking them - people end up getting counterfeit items that scammers have returned in the box that purchased a new item in, damaged items are repacked and sold still damaged, etc). All the above is risky af and riddled with used, damaged, and countefeit items.
>>
File: bk2vs.jpg (125KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
bk2vs.jpg
125KB, 500x334px
>>902144

it's a semi-sharpened brick,. Heavy as sin, with horrible geometry, and very poorly designed.

The most useless "bushcraft" knife i know, and that's coming from someone who actually owns a tracker.

If you want an indestructible bushcraft knife, something 1/8'' thick and made from good quality steel like O1, A2, 3V, etc. will handle anything you throw at it, and have much better geometry for actually cutting stuff (like the helle temagami pictured here alongside the bk2).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKlcBpKbAvM&t=640s
Mora robust is all you need.
>>
>>902302
Looks good, but do you have any recommendations that are a bit cheaper?
>>
>>902339
Mora
>>
>>898487
Does anyone have experience with the Gerber lmf 2? It looks nice but I'm not a fan of the half serrated blade
>>
>>902339

regular helle line (any traditional scandinavian knives really - ahti, hauhavan puukkopaja, etc.)

Mora if you want to go super-cheap
>>
>>902187

You absolutely can sharpen a recurve on a traditional stone. You use the edge of the stone with light pressure. The only time this doesn't work is on "diamond bench stones" because the edge isn't made of abrasive but is an intersection of metal where the coating runs out.
>>
>>902420
i have the prodigy, which is the full tang version of the LMF
>pros
usable size
handle is godtier IMO
sheath isn't garbage. will retain knife even when upside down
>cons
would prefer no serrations
pommel is a point, so piss poor for hammering
>>
best edc folder under 40 dollars?
>>
>>902475
what is your use case?
>>
>>902432

I'm aware of that, but would you really want to spend the time to sharpen out those chips that way? It's going to take at least 3-5x as long as it would on a non-recurved blade.
>>
>>900647
>>900746
this, for a first knife you can only do worse
>>
>>902729

not "only", but certainly.
>>
>>902730
imo even a better knife would be worse for a beginner if he fucks it up either by trying to sharpen it or do something with it he really shouldn't it's just a waste of money.
>>
>>902731

well, if you're THAT much of a begginer, probably. Then again - scandi grinds are very easy to sharpen, and a system like the lansky turnbox is very simple to use.
>>
>>902722

Wrong again.

It's obvious your opinion isn't rooted in experience. So until you know how it works, maybe you should stop trying to lecture to others. (quit talking out of your ass)
>>
>>902827

Oh, you are going to tell me that doing extended grinding with the corner of a stone is as fast as getting to use the whole surface of the stone?

Did they change the laws of physics just for you? A non-recurve can be moved across a much larger surface area of abrasive per pass and this will necessarily grind much faster.
>>
you are both faggots why would you use a stone to remove that much material on a damaged edge anyway? Do the rough work with a dedicated grinder and use the stone for honing.
>>
File: 1292590864936.jpg (176KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1292590864936.jpg
176KB, 1000x750px
>>902901
Again, it's obvious you've never done it and don't really understand what's happening with the physics either.

Because the surface area is reduced, but myself and the knife are not, the potential psi is multiples higher. In fact, you have to be very careful not to put too much pressure on it or you'll roll the edge. In practice, it removes material very quickly. Just like a contact wheel vs a flat platen.

We live in an age where everyone who has ever set foot in a kitchen thinks themselves a master chef.

You don't understand what's happening here because you don't have the experience.

>>902881

That's a very small amount of material to remove with stones. And powered systems might remove more than intended because they remove material very quickly.

You too suffer from the delusion that you can be an expert in a topic you have little to no experience in.
>>
>>902911

Here's an idea. Go try it for yourselves. Quit arguing with me and go have a real life experience. That's what /out/ is supposed to be about.
>>
>>902911
>Because the surface area is reduced, but myself and the knife are not, the potential psi is multiples higher.

Go take a video camera, put it level with the surface of a benchstone, take a non-recurve blade, make some passes on the stone, watch the video, and then realize that the contact area between a knife edge and the stone will be small enough for the PSI to be similar to using the corner of a stone.

But the non-recurve blade will still cover much more abrasive per pass, and thus still be cut far faster.

Sorry, physics doesn't care for your fake Internet authority points.

And FYI unless you me show me video proof I don't believe you own any knives, own any sharpening equipment or have ever sharpened anything in your life so you'll have to make your arguments without reference to your fake Internet experience points.
>>
File: 20161129_160612-2.jpg (354KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
20161129_160612-2.jpg
354KB, 1000x1333px
>>902941

I don't mind showing off my sharpening gear. But let's be honest. I could go to all the trouble of making a video but you'd still find an excuse to discount it. We both know you aren't an experienced sharpener and your opinion is guess work. The thing is, you're wrong. You're not a bad person, you're just incorrect about this. But you are being an ass by not seeing it.

Go try it for yourself. You'll learn something.
>>
>>903056

pathetic,

you need at least 100 stones to be a good sharpener, sharpening is a art
>>
>>903056

Pulling up stones doesn't constitute an argument, nor does "because I said so."

The one empirical argument you have made--that a recurve sharpened against the corner of a benchstone has so much smaller a contact area than a normal edge on a benchstone that the PSI increases to compensate for the much smaller abrasive area--is pretty obviously wrong, but most people don't realize how small the contact area between a regular edge and a benchstone is as the edge passes over the stone.

If I have time tomorrow I will make a video showing just how small the contact area is as a curved (but not recurved) knife edge passes over a benchstone and upload it to my YouTube channel about sharpening...
>>
>>902466
Thanks
I'm really not liking the serrations on the lmf, but I love the rest of the knife? Is it worth it?
>>
>>903221
Sorry I mean are the serrations worth it?
>>
KABAR is decent

I have a FIN that got left under a snow pile all winter, only thing that rusted was some rivets on the sheath
>>
>>903222
No
>>
>>903084

I think I might be talking to multiple people here.

Someone said you can't sharpen a recurve on bench stone. I said yes you can.

Then they said it takes 3-5 times longer than a non recurve blade. I said no it doesn't.

Someone challenged me to post my equipment, so I posted it.

Now I've got someone (new?) telling me my theory about why it doesn't take 3-5 times longer (see above) is wrong.

Maybe you're right. I'm not an engineer. All I know is it doesn't take 3-5 times longer and you have to use lighter pressure or you'll roll the edge.

I don't even care why this is true.

I'd be really interested to know if mr "you can't sharpen a recurve on a bench stone" is also mr youtube sharpening channel. Either way, make your video. I'll watch it. And if you are the same guy, you're welcome for teaching you a new trick.
>>
>>903257

No, it is the same person, you are just mistaken in thinking I wasn't aware you could use the corner of a benchstone to sharpen a recurve.

But, since every technique I've seen used to use the corner of a benchstone has used edge leading only or edge trailing it passes to avoid gouging the corner of a friable bench stone like a Crystolon or a waterstone, I thought it would be obvious that the scrubbing back-and-forth passers you can make with a regular blade on the larger surface area of a benchstone would be massively faster.

I was just pointing out that the contact area between a curved edge and a flat stone is a lot smaller than most people think, and that as a result the PSI difference won't be enough to make up the surface area difference and pass speed difference
>>
>>902881
You don't sharpen recurves on stones rather on rods.
>>
>>903384

Yes, most people do use rods, that's why I originally mentioned rods.

Those roads are also inevitably far slower than using a benchstone that sheds grit easily (e.g. A Norton Crystolon or a waterstone).
>>
>>903374
>you are just mistaken in thinking I wasn't aware you could use the corner of a benchstone to sharpen a recurve.

>902187
>you can't just whip out a Norton Crystolon coarse and fix it in like 15 mins.
>can't

Your words.

>But, since every technique I've seen used to use the corner of a benchstone
>I've seen
>seen

I've been saying, repeatedly, you need to go try this for yourself.

I thought you were going to post a youtube video of your expertise? Also, you're welcome. Not that you'll admit it, but you learned something here.

>>903384

I can sharpen a recurve on a bench stone. If you can't or mr.youtubechannel can't, you should learn the technique instead of falsely claiming it doesn't work.

Guys, it doesn't matter how it gets sharp. Sharp is sharp.
>>
>>903441

Firstly, I meant you couldn't fix it in 15 minutes not that you couldn't use a benchstone, and secondly, have you ever used a Norton Crystolon coarse?

Cystolons shed grit incredibly easily. If you tried to use the corner of one to sharpen you would likely destroy the stone in short order.

Finally, to pin you down, are you saying you can sharpen on the corner of a waterstone (or weak bond oilstone) using scrubbing (i.e. Back and forth) passes on the corner of the stone?

And yes, seen, because I would never buy a pocket sized knife with a recurve. Much like tantos and partial serrations, they are suckers blade shapes sold to people who don't foresee the time they would have to waste sharpening them compared to a drop point.

As for not making a video, I've been a little busy today. You'll have to wait until I'm done eviscerating the idea that AlOx and SiC abrasives shouldn't be used on high hardness high vanadium content steels.
>>
>>903531

This knife?
>>902137

Yes, I could fix that in 15 minutes on a bench stone. It's a very small amount of damage. If you can't, that's your inadequacy.

Would it ruin BRAND-X stone? Fuck if I know. It wouldn't ruin my stones. My point was that the repair could be done in a reasonable time frame on a bench stone. Not only were you greatly exaggerating the difficulty of the repair, you actually advised him to throw the knife out! Someone needed to step in and tell that guy you're full of shit before he believed you.

You talk a lot of shit.
>>
>>902137

You still here? Just to prove the point, I'll fix your knife, on video, in 15 mins, just to shut up the asshole that told you to throw it out.

You interested?
>>
>>903542

You did not answer whether you were asserting that you could make back and forth passes on the corner of a waterstone or weak bond oilstone.

I hope he does take you up on the offer and you do make said video. If you manage to do it in 15 minutes I'll be the first person to admit I was wrong.

Also, I'm curious as to which stone you would plan to use for this job.
>>
>>903573
>I'll be the first person to admit I was wrong.

Are you the same guy that challenged me to post sharpening gear and then dismissed it when I did?

You're incapable of knowing when you're wrong, let alone admitting it.

I don't want anyone throwing their knives out because some clown with a youtube channel tells them it's a herculean effort to effect small repairs. My offer is for them.
>>
>>903581

For the record, you totally misunderstood my point. I didn't mean that I wanted you to prove you had sharpening stones or knew how to sharpen.

I meant that on an anonymous image board you shouldn't be making arguments from authority or experience.

I'm saying it will take way longer than 15 minutes to sharpen out those chips on a received edge because you cannot use nearly as coarse a stone or make passes as fast, or make passes that cover as much abrasive using the corner of a benchstone.

See, that contains an explanation of the logic of my argument. It doesn't just boil down to 'because I said so" or "experience lol".

On the other hand, you haven't said what stone you'd use, and whether you can make scrubbing passes on the corner of that stone. Your argument so far boils down to PSI and because I said so.

P.S., A Crystolon coarse is ~90 grit and sheds grit like crazy, giving a cutting speed WAY higher than a DMT XXC diamond plate and astronomically higher than a ~200-400 grit waterstone, and even with a coarse Crystolon and a non-recurved edge it would be a race against the clock to get those chips out in 15 minutes. Based on that I don't see how it can be done that fast with any stone you'd actually be able to use for the job on a recurve.
>>
>>903606

>I meant that on an anonymous image board you shouldn't be making arguments from authority or experience.

Except if it's you, telling someone their knife is ruined and should be thrown out. Or when you say it can't be repaired in 15 minutes. You haven't submitted anything but opinion and conjecture here either.

I think it just burns your ass that maybe you're not the expert you thought you were.
>>
>>903616

And AGAIN you resort to rhetorical tricks instead of actually saying what stone you intend to use, what grit it is, and whether you can make scrubbing passes on the corner of it or will be limited to unidirectional passes.

What stone? What grit? Scrubbing passes or no?
>>
>>903616

Ya, the normal response to "you can absolutely sharpen a recurve on a bench stone" would be something like "really, how do you do that?"

But you, you can't do that because your ego is attached to your claim. You need to prove me wrong because you've got yourself all puffed up as some sort of authority.

Dude, I'm done arguing with your ego. Believe what you want.

>>902137
The offer still stands. Post here if you're interested.
>>
this thread is like a unpside-down porta potty. jesus christ.
>>
>>903625

Sorry, I have a bad habit of getting tangled up in pissing contests with guys like that. I don't always clue in right away.

>>902137
>>
>>903623
>>903626

And AGAIN you continue to dodge.

What stone? What grit? Will you be able to make scrubbing passes?
>>
>>902137
>>
>>903625

It's unfortunate, but this is what talking about sharpening on the Internet is like.

There are many people who will claim all sorts of things and then resort to all sorts of rhetorical tricks to desperately try and avoid having to discuss the substance of their claims.

Thankfully, there is a solution to this sort of behavior: It is to not be distracted by their repeated attempts to distract from the specifics of they want to imply without evidence and to demand specific, empirically testable, falsifiable claims.
>>
>>903221
>>903222
advantages between prodigy and lmf2
>lmf2
holes in handle, ostensibly for lashing to stick for spear action
plexiglas punch for cutting through helicopter canopies (if you're into that)
sharpener in sheath
>prodigy
full tang
half the price

other than this they're the same knoife
>>
>>903867

it's called Eristic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eristic
>>
>>903867

I'm not talking that bait.

>>902137
>>
Seems to me like this guy>>903056 is just trying to help this guy >>902137 and this guy >>903084 is all butthurt because his advice got challenged.

>>903972

eristic (from Eris, the ancient Greek goddess of chaos, strife, and discord) refers to argument that aims to successfully dispute another's argument, rather than searching for truth.

To me, that sounds like precisely what the butthurt youtuber guy is going to the benchstone guy.

I think both of you need to let it go. I don't think anyone is going to mail anyone a knife so this will never get proven.

It's over.
>>
>>903975
yeah, the Polish wikipedia entry for eristic is better, because it has all the methods listed (argumentum ad hominem, argumentum ad personam, etc.) - makes it easier to recognise when someone is trying to get around facts and win an argument by intimidating you, or other such tricks. (see, we're being educational now) - together with Dunning-Kruger (understanding) it makes life easier.

TL:DR: understand eristics and Dunning-Kruger effect to make your life easier.
>>
>>902137

If you're still here, and you don't want to mail your knife to a stranger, see if there are any cutlery shops in your area that do repairs. I trained at one and small chips like that can be ground out very quickly on such a small knife. At the shop I trained at a knife like yours would probably be about $20 CAD to repair and tune up.
>>
>>903975

I'm butthurt because the unfortunate reality is that online discussions about sharpening attract a lot of people who claim totally outrageous things.

To repair the edge in >>902137 requires grinding off enough steel to raise the apex line by about 0.5mm.

Anyone who has ever done any extended grinding on a knife, such as a heavy reprofiling job will know that it will take a very large number of passes on an extremely coarse benchstone to remove that much material from a knife edge.

To be honest, I am pretty sure I underestimated how long it would take to remove half a mm of blade height form a non-recurved blade on a ~90 grit 12" long benchstone even using the whole surface of the stone and making scrubbing passes. It would probably take more than 15 minutes, 30-45 minutes wouldn't surprise me to remove that much material.

Plus, none of the stones the guy put into his picture are anywhere nearly coarse enough to have a chance of removing that much material fast enough, and most of them were waterstones, which are all soft enough that you would destroy the corner of the stone of you tried to make scrubbing passes on it.

I'm butthurt because he might as well be claiming he can make the knife levitate with his mind or that he can repair the chips using crystal healing.

>>903993

A cutlery shop would be able to do it quickly because they would power grind out the chips. Considering the knife he posted is approximately $30 to purchase new, you would have to consider how much a cutlery shop would charge to do the regrind, and also that there is a decent chance of them burning the edge because they would be power grinding without active liquid cooling.

And if he is still here, I'll buy that damaged knife off him for what he paid for it new if he'll send it to me so I can show just how long it will take to grind out those chips using benchstones.
>>
>>904036

>people who claim totally outrageous things.

Ya, like telling someone he should throw out his knife because of some tiny chips in the blade. That was an outrageous thing to tell someone.

>Plus, none of the stones the guy put into his picture are bla bla bla...

Oh, well if you're such an authority on my stones, then it shouldn't be a problem for you to accurately list every item in the pic.

Maybe you're full of shit.

>A cutlery shop would...be power grinding without active liquid cooling.

You want to explain to the class how you know what tools buddy's local cutlery shop has? I mean, my local cutlery shop has a liquid cooled powered stone, so I'd like to know how you know that buddy's shop doesn't? Are you clairvoyant?

So far you've made a lot of claims and have backed up nothing. You've given people terrible advice and not even acknowledged it after.

I think you're convinced it can't be done because you can't do it.

>>
>>904051

>I think you're convinced it can't be done because you can't do it.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the issue. I mean, you're a pretty ego-centric and very assuming guy so it's not a leap to imagine you see yourself as the gold standard for knife sharpening. Listening to the way you talk it's pretty clear you have an extremely high opinion of yourself.

If I saw myself that way and someone came along claiming to do something I couldn't, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable with that too. I mean, I'm not that kind of guy, thankfully.

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.
>>
>>904051

You see, he is comfortable again because he thinks he can try to divert from having to detail the specifics of his claims.

Which stone would you use? What grit is that stone? Is it hard enough to use the corner of? Would you be able to make back and forth passes on the corner of that stone? Do you really believe you can remove 0.5 mm of blade height by hand grinding on a bench stone in 15 minutes? If not, how long do you think it will take to remove that much blade height?

Also, I should have said "most likely" without active liquid cooling, on that count you are totally correct. I'm glad to hear they use something like a Tomek, they are great systems for grinding quickly without the risks of detempering the edge that are present in dry grinding systems.

I'm convinced it cannot be done by hand on a benchstone in anything like the time you claim because on several occasions it has taken me more than 15 minutes to remove *microscopic* chips from an edge bevel using a ~240 grit silicon carbide waterstone with scrubbing passes. Reprofiling edge bevels typically takes longer than 15 minutes using an Atoma 140 diamond plate, again using scrubbing passes.

Based on the time it takes to remove microscopic chips with an extremely aggressive waterstone and the time it takes to reprofile with an extremely extremely aggressive diamond plate it's reasonable to infer that 15 minutes probably wouldn't be enough with a ~90 grit silicon carbide oilstone and high force scrubbing passes.

Based on that, it is unlikely in the extreme that anyone could remove 0.5mm of blade height from a recurved edge in anything close to 15 minutes by hand grinding on the corner of a benchstone. I can only think of one benchstone on the market I'd even consider attempting such a thing with, and you don't appear to own one. Even then I think it would take a couple of hours using the stone I have in mind.
>>
>>904064

>>
Telling someone to throw their knife away was a stupid thing to say.
>>
>>904067

I'm well aware of that, in particular I know I'm not as fast as some others because I prefer to make complete heel-toe-toe and back passes rather than the short scrubbing passes the fastest hand sharpeners. I was actually quoting a time faster than I believed i'd be able to do it in personally when I said 15 minutes for a non-recurved edge with chips that deep, and I think I accidentally under estimated the time it would take.

You'll note that I have detailed the specifics of why I believe it is extremely unlikely that anyone, including someone twice as fast at hand sharpening as me, would be able to do the thing you claim.

You on the other hand have continuously dodged having to lay out the specifics of your claim in any way, and have deliberately tried to provoke me so that you could avoid having to discuss the substance of your claims.

I believe you are desperate to avoid detailing the specifics of how you think someone can remove that much material from a received edge in 15 minutes by hand grinding because you know that you won't be able to even come up with something plausible sounding.
>>
>>904068

Sorry, I was only thinking in terms of how many hours I'd be willing to spend repairing a $30 knife. If it had been a more expensive blade or had some sentimental value, then I'd understand, but I personally wouldn't be willing to spend the amount of time it would take me to fix chips that deep by hand grinding on a received knife that was $30.
>>
>>904072
*recurved
>>
>>904072
>hours

Telling someone to throw their knife out because it would be for YOU to sharpen is really stupid.
>>
>>904074

Please feel free to detail the specifics of how you believe it could be done by hand grinding on the corner of a benchstone in 15 minutes by someone twice as fast as me then.
>>
>>904076

And you'd accept that? No. It would be fruitless. It would neither make buddy's knife sharp nor settle this argument.

You're far to self aggrandizing to believe it without seeing it for yourself. Even then I think you'd dismiss it because you're so invested in proving me wrong.

But, as a general rule of life, just because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done. You have to be real thick to dismiss that outright.
>>
>>904083

I certainly might accept it if it at least sounded plausible. I might even try it myself to see how fast I could grind a recurve using the method you suggest.

This has nothing to do with being self aggrandizing, it's not that I do not believe it cannot be done because *I* could not do it that fast, but because I don't think the fastest hand sharpener I've ever seen (he makes ~5 scrubbing passes per *second*) would have a chance of grinding 0.5mm of blade height off a received edge in 15 minutes by hand grinding on the corner of a stone.

I think it is fair to say he could probably remove that much blade height from a non-recurved edge using a ~90 grit or less benchstone in 15 minutes, though.

Which is to say, it's not that I think you are telling outrageous lies because *I* couldn't do it, but because I don't think the fastest hand sharpener I've ever seen in my life could do what you are claiming. And then, on top of that, you have used every single rhetorical trick in the book to try and avoid detailing the specifics of your claims, which to me is a massive red flag that one is dealing with a knowing and deliberate charlatan.
>>
>>904087
>It would be fruitless. It would neither make buddy's knife sharp nor settle this argument.

You keep insisting the legitimacy of my position relies on detailing it to you, which is horse shit. You've got your mind firmly made up and you want me to talk your language so you can tear it apart. You've drawn a circle around your beliefs and firmly declared everything outside that to be false and impossible. If you're so egotistical to believe that nothing outside that circle exists, well, that's literally your limitation, not mine.

>>
>>904095

I'm sorry, but I will not accept someone's claims on faith.

I insist that any time someone will not even set out the specifics of their claim, much less provide any evidence to support that claim, that they should be regarded as deliberately spreading falsehoods.

Because people who say things they genuinely believe to be true have no hesitation in detailing the specifics of their claims, explaining why they believe them, and sharing whatever evidence they have in support of them.

I have not had any reservations with explaining why I think what you claim is extremely unlikely, and on what basis I think that, why won't you?
>>
>>904106

I don't care what you believe. But I would think it a shame if that guy threw out an easily fixable knife on your bad advice.

You were wrong, just straight up fucking wrong to tell him that.
>>
>>904109

You're right, I shouldn't have told him that.

I was totally wrong to assume he would not want to spend the time I believed would be necessary to fix chips that deep on a recurved $30 knife.

However, I sure don't think those chips are "easily fixable" for someone who isn't the kind of expert in hand grinding received edges on bench stones that you clearly are.

That he was even asking the question suggests he did not have the tools nor the practice to accomplish the task in less than the couple of hours it would take someone as unskilled at sharpening as myself.

So please, if you will, educate me on how it could be done "easily".

I promise, if you spell out exactly which benchstone you would use and exactly how you would use the corner of it, I won't even write another word arguing with you about it.
>>
>>904114

At least we agree that on something: your advice was bad.

Listen, you made a claim that you haven't proven: the knife is ruined and should be thrown out.

I made a claim that I haven't proven: It can be repaired easily on bench stones.

The only way to prove this argument one way or the other is for someone to lay hands on the knife, and buddy isn't responding. At this point the only reasonable conclusion is that that neither claim will be proven.

Now, you've already expressed, at length, that you believe my claim is impossible. So the only thing that I could do to convince you would be to actually, physically grind that knife.

So when you demand I discuss the semantics of it with you it's obvious you don't want to be convinced, you want to be confirmed. Even if what I'm saying later turned out to be true, in this moment you wouldn't believe it.

So you explain to me why I should be interested in confirming your bias in the absence of actual proof!
>>
>>904136

Because I'm not even interested in arguing with you anymore. You are right, my advice was bad, hell, I'll even accept that you at a probably a much better sharpener than I am.

At this point I'm more interested in learning the specifics of how you believe you'd be able to repair chips that deep in a recurved edge by hand grinding on a bench stone so I can try it for myself.

That's why I'm offering to not even question or argue with you if you tell me how you think it can be done: Because I'm so intrigued at this point, that I would rather try it for myself than continue the argument.

A friend once asked me to sharpen one of his recurved knives and I found the experience so annoying compared to non-recurved edges that I decided I would never buy a recurved blade, so if there is a much better way to do it that I don't know about, then I want to learn.
>>
Made a neck sheath for my poor mans sebenza
>>
>>904153
why? can't you just fucking pocket it?
>>
>>904156
The clip broke off and my pockets are too deep

Also because fuck you thats why
>>
OP here, thanks for all the advice, I looked in to moras and it looks like I may end up with one of those, I also looked at a few schrade knives and may get the 42d, any thoughts that dont have to do with sharpening.
>>
>>904141

Ok, just let me absorb this for a second. Wait, this seems familiar? >>903623
>Ya, the normal response to "you can absolutely sharpen a recurve on a bench stone" would be something like "really, how do you do that?"
I think I deserve to take a moment to relish the feeling of vindication.

Ya ok, I played right along, but I think you could have saved us both a lot of aggravation here bro. I would have answered that question without all the drama. What's Polish for 'unnecessarily difficult'?

You know what would be really funny? If I didn't answer your question after what must have been a very humbling admission on your part. I'm glad your leveling with me, but come on, that would be funny!

Right!
>>
>>904268

You are absolutely right. I'm sorry I didn't just ask how to do that, because I have no idea.

It would be nice if you would teach me, but I'll understand if you don't want to.
>>
>>904270

Ha, I just wanted you to make you squirm for a second. I think you owed me that. lol

The truth is I'm no sharpening sage and there's really no big trick to it. You just get up on the long edge of the stone for the recurve bit of your blade. Whether it's the PSI or leverage or whatever, it's really aggressive. It's so aggressive in fact that unless you dial back the pressure you're going to continually roll the edge.

That's it. There's really nothing much too it. Some of my water stones are the really hard type so you can use the edges without chamfering them too much. I dress my stones a lot so that gets worked out pretty quickly anyways. I don't do many recurves. Mostly it's the odd knife without a choil that's developed a recurve accidentally.

My estimation on how long it would take to fix that particular knife we were discussing is based on my prior experiences and my estimation of the amount of material needing removal. Small blade, small chips, and I was also assuming it wasn't made out of some highly abrasive resistant steel at 60+ RHC.

As long as you're aware of the possibility of continually rolling the edge if you're not careful, I think you're going to find it's easier than you think.

Good luck...dick :)
>>
>>904279

Just to make sure I understand, your saying you use the whole side of the stone, not just the corner, on the recurved part and then use the top of the stone for the rest of the edge?

Do you make back and forth passes or one direction only? I would have thought it would be impossible to use edge leading strokes without gouging into the stone?

Do you make the passes at the same angle as the existing edge bevel?

And what stone would you use for this job? The coarsest waterstone I have is 240 grit, but that stone is so soft that I don't think I could use the edge without destroying it.
>>
>>904285

I use the long edge, not the vertical sides of the stone, for the recurve bit because that's the only way to reach it, right? If the blade also has a belly I'll sharpen that on the flat, like normal.

I haven't run into any gouging problems, but my primary stones are really hard (chosera). DESU, I haven't tried this on one of my 2 softer stones. I suppose the potential is there that they could get chewed up. In that case I'd only use a stropping/dragging stroke I guess if a soft stone was my only option.

I don't know if you've watched Murray Carter's videos but he does a lot of sharpening work in stropping/dragging strokes. Like all of his work about 1K grit is dragging strokes. It works.

Yes, I try to maintain a consistent edge angle throughout the blade. It try.

My coarsest waterstone is pretty soft too. I pretty much regret buying it. So for a task like this I'd reach for my coarsest hard stone, which is a chosera 400. I really like that stone though. I could be biased.
>>
>>904324

Huh, if you try to abbreviate 'to be honest' it changes it to DESU,
>>
>>904324

So you would use a Chosera 400, use the long edge for the recurve, and use the flat for the belly, and you would stay on the existing edge bevel angle?

And just to check, I'm still not sure whether you mean to make back and forth passes on the recurve, or stropping strokes only like Murray Carter often does?
>>
>>904345

If the medium can take it without gouging, back and forth strokes. If it can't, dragging strokes.
>>
>>904373

Sounds good. Conveniently, I already happen to own a Chosera 400 so I won't need to buy one.

All I will need to buy is a CRKT Shenanigan, and those aren't expensive.
>>
>>904373

So in case anyone reading this thread ends up in the position of needing to repair fairly deep (~0.5mm) chips at multiple points along the edge bevel of a knife, I want to make a few suggestions that will make the work proceed astronomically faster than the manner suggested above.

I'll start with the parts also applicable to non-recurves:

Use the coarsest stone you can get your hands on. A 400 grit stone is much MUCH too fine for this type of gross material removal work. At minimum I would recommend a Norton India coarse stone (~150 grit) used with a lot of force, a Norton Crystolon coarse (~90 grit), or the newly released Baryonyx American Mutt stone which is ~60 grit and should be able to handle a fair bit of pressure as well. There are even coarser stones available, but they are tricky to use because the stones themselves are so soft.

Do not grind on the existing edge bevel angle. Instead, raise the angle of the knife edge to the stone at around 45 degrees to decrease the contact area and thereby massively increase the PSI on the stone to accelerate grinding. You will save far more time by grinding the knife at 45 degrees while grinding the whole edge to the height of the deepest chip than you will spend putting a new edge bevel on at the original ~20 degree per side angle once you've raised the apex line to the depth of the deepest chip.

Now, if you have to do this sort of a job on a recurve, you will have to make some special considerations. Namely, a Norton Crystolon is going to be too soft to use a corner of the stone on, espcially at ~45 degrees, so you will probably be limited to an Norton India coarse (which should be hard enough and strong enough to take the PSI on a long edge).

An alternative worth considering is to order a round rod shaped ~80 grit silicon carbide rod from Congress Tool's Moldmaster line. That would probably be the ideal tool for the job, actually, but I don't know how much they would charge in shipping for a single one
>>
>>904373
>>905416

Another alternative for the recurved portion of the edge would be to purchase a scythe stone (pic related) which is shaped in such a way that it should be usable on the recuved portion of a slight recurve and can be purchased cheaply in extremely coarse grits (e.g. a TASK Garden and Lawn sharpening stone is ~36 grit). Care would need to be taken with these kinds of stones as they are very soft and may not be able to take the PSI of grinding the recurve at ~45 degrees. I haven't tried this idea personally (yet) so I'm not totally sure you could use a scythe stone this way, but it might be worth a shot if you can get one locally for cheap.

Note that my considerations of stones being "hard enough" is based on them being hard enough to take rapid scrubbing passes since making passes in one direction only will increase the time necessary by a factor of 4 at least.

Just remember that after you have removed enough material from the recurve to raise the apex line to the top of the deepest chip, you will then need to switch to a normal benchstone to raise the apex line on the non-recurved portion of the edge.
>>
File: angelo-b-milano-scythe-stone-8.jpg (123KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
angelo-b-milano-scythe-stone-8.jpg
123KB, 1200x800px
>>904373
>>905419

Forgot the picture of a scythe stone.
>>
File: muh noife.jpg (39KB, 534x950px) Image search: [Google]
muh noife.jpg
39KB, 534x950px
here's my Esee 4 clip point. Sharpened it yesterday.
got an Esee 6 with the standard straight edge, no clip, no serrations.
>>
File: 20161203_200919.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161203_200919.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
New Acquisitions

Spent a good bit of time sharpening the 180 degree bevel on the Romanian AK Bayonet into a useable edge.

Now I just need to find some outdoors to hike/camp in my area.
>>
>>905419
>>905416

I think you're the only person left that cares.
>>
>>905646

that bayonet steel is softer than shit, don't think you can use it as a bush knife.
>>
File: IMG_6265.jpg (311KB, 1010x1734px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6265.jpg
311KB, 1010x1734px
Can anyone ID this knife? Yes, I know it says Tiger. But I can't find anything online
>>
>>905671
I think it's a Tiger knife, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>903531
Howdy drake, didn't realize you come here as well
>>
>>905671
Definitely a Tiger knife...probably worth about 38 bucks
>>
>>905671
Oh sweet! That's a classic Tiger knife. I actually got mine for 37.75, so I wouldn't pop on that one. See if you can find one cheaper
>>
File: FrontierFirstScandi(Custom).jpg (144KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
FrontierFirstScandi(Custom).jpg
144KB, 500x332px
anyone have any experience with battlehorseknives?
>>
>>905885

Not personally, but i use lt wright, and they used to be part of blind horse knives together. Same thing as far as quality goes, different designs (except the bushcrafter iirc - both make it now).
>>
>>898497
every god damn knife thread
>>
>>905814

DING DING DING! The asshole has been identified.

Steel Drake! on youtube.

Get help. Your brand of autism might be treatable.
>>
>>905814

I mostly lurk the knife threads on /out/, normally. I usually only pipe up on knife threads here if someone asks about sharpening or if someone else is giving bad advice about sharpening.

>>906287
>Accuses others of autism
>on a Singaporean shadow-puppet symposium

Do you know where you are?
>>
>>906317

The funny part of what you just said is you were the guy giving out bad advice.

Who's going to save us from you?
>>
>>906287
Dafuq you talking about, anyone who wasn't a tard knew who he was and he started the youtube channel upon request to help a bunch of guys out with sharpening tips and instructions, so the asshole is actually a bretty gud guy who contributes to knife discussions on 4chan.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>905512
>fake swedge
All of my why?
Pic related is all you need
>>
>>906393
What exactly is fake about a swedge?
And the BOB is fine if you want a scandi and want to pay $30 more than the Esee but if you're happy with a scandi
>Mora Companion is all you need
>>
File: 1466474147728.jpg (161KB, 1024x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1466474147728.jpg
161KB, 1024x1704px
>>906393
that's a sharpened swedge on the ESEE. Get your shit together 93.
>>
File: 4038-3-f1bl.jpg (4KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
4038-3-f1bl.jpg
4KB, 250x250px
>>898487
I'm looking into getting a fällkniven but I'm not sure what model to get
Should I get an F1BL for that ceracote and leather sheath
Or an S1 standard model, the BL version is a bit above what I'm willing to pay for a single tool

The idea is that the F1BL is more rust resistant and has a leather sheath

The S1 has a longer blade so battoning would be easier and has more edge

I'm I just scratching the bottom of the barrel with justifications for the S1 or should I get the F1BL?
>>
>>906528
Why a Ceracoted SS knife?
>>
>>906537
VG10 isn't stainless?
>>
>>906358

The only thing I should have done is been more clear that the reason I suggested he may want to consider just buying a new one is because he would need to spend $20+ just to buy the speciality sharpening stones he would need for the job and need to spend a fair amount of time on the task since recurved blade will take an absolute logical minimum of 2x as long as a non-recurved blade (for the same reason a tanto would).

Considering the knife he posted was $30 to buy brand new, and that there is no way he is asking the question on here if he has the right kind of sharpening stone for the job, or has ever done chip repairs before, so you should weight the money he's have to invest in stones and the time to do the job as a first timer to chip repairs against the $30 cost of replacement.

And then, once I got you to admit the details of you thought the job could be
done (do you notice now the checking questions about what type of stone? What grit? One step or two? Scrubbing passes or one direction only? Existing edge bevel angle or not) I figured I should give some much better advice about how to do the work if someone here is ever faced with repairing ~.5mm deep chips along an edge here >>905416 , because I didn't want anyone reading this thread to waste several hours on the task because they followed bad advice.
>>
File: 000015_3.jpg (470KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
000015_3.jpg
470KB, 1600x1200px
>>906562
Yeah VG-10 is stainless, it's also laminated with an even more stain resistant steel 420J2, so only the last bit of VG-10 is exposed.
You can see the delineation of the steels in pic related.
>>
File: s1_png_1200px_72dpi-900x375.png (105KB, 900x375px) Image search: [Google]
s1_png_1200px_72dpi-900x375.png
105KB, 900x375px
>>906567
Then it comes down to blade length
S1 or F1?
>>
>>906570
Aye, you had a chance to handle them both? Personally I'd pick the F1 because I prefer it's grind but the S1 would make a better beater if that's your preference. Both pretty expensive knives for what they are though.
>>
>>906566

>>904141
>You are right, my advice was bad

Your words bud. Your words.

I don't know why you're pack peddling so far on all the progress we had made. Maybe it's time to talk to your doctor.
>>
>>906584
Continued...

I was just thinking about this and conversing with you reminds me a lot of conversing with my sister. She's been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and most recently bi-polar.

She'll do the same thing you did: argue something to conclusion ,and then after a short pause, start right up at the beginning again arguing a point that's already been reasonably concluded. Seemingly forgetting resolutions she came up with herself.

I've been mocking you for mental health problems in a tongue in cheek fashion but I shouldn't have done that and I'm sorry. I'm not a doctor, but you really remind me of her.

All arguing aside, if you've never spoken to a doctor about this before, you should seriously consider doing so, for real.
>>
>>906584

Once again you don't understand. Because helping others with sharpening is what is important to me, rather than puffing up my own ego or trying to lord what I think I know over others, I had no problem with telling you whatever you wanted to hear to get you to spell out the approach you had in mind.

However, once you did spell out what you had in mind (~400 grit waterstone, working recurve and non-recurved portions separately, not even knowing whether you could use scrubbing strokes on the recurved portion, using the existing edge bevel angle) I wanted to make sure I spelled out some much better approaches that won't take several hours.

And I want to thank you, because in thinking about better advice to give on this subject I realized that Congress Tools makes round rods of silicon carbide in 80 grit in their Moldmaster line, and now I know what to recommend if anyone ever asks for advice on chip repairs on a recurved edge.

See an ~80 grit silicon carbide round rod is by far the best took you could get for repairing deep chips on a recurve because it will be coarse enough not.to be a ludicrous choice for the task, hard enough to use a ~45 degree angle on, and hard enough to use scrubbing strokes on, and because it's a curved surface it should not catch on the chips as you make scrubbing passes (those chips would gouge the corner of a waterstone if you made edge leading passes btw), and uniquely also allow you to work the whole length of the edge as a single step because the round rod would be able to work the whole edge, heel to tip, rather than just the recurved portion, saving half the time right off the bat.

Those Moldmaster stones are also pretty cheap, and light, so shipping wouldn't be too bad on one either.

So thanks for annoying me enough to come up with a much better solution.
>>
File: heh2.jpg (34KB, 586x449px) Image search: [Google]
heh2.jpg
34KB, 586x449px
>>906584
>>906594
>>
>>906595

These types of disorders are often characterized by mood swings, made dramatic by harsh self criticism or a steep reduction in self confidence.

>>904141 >>904270

That was dramatic and implied a loss of self confidence. Now you've returned to your original composure.

A dramatic and temporary shift in composure is a mood swing.

Like I said before, all the stuff you went through just to ask a question you could have asked originally is not normal.

Friend, this is not how healthy people have conversations.
>>
>>906613

I just told you what you wanted to hear to get you to actually spell out what you hand in mind, since you seemed utterly terrified to do so while you were still being challenged.

And I realize you are once again desperate to distract from the substance of the conversation, but I won't be taking the bait.

If you wish to try and contest any of the advice given in any of these posts:
>>905416
>>905419
>>906566
>>906595
I would be happy to do so but I won't be engaging with any diversions from the substance.
>>
>>906613
Dude are you autistic? You were being an ass and that other guy just posted what he thought would finally make you spill the fucking beans.
>>
>>906620

Friend, health people don't seek information the way you have here. Even if you were faking a self depreciating mood swing, healthy people don't do that.
>>
>>906626
You've got issues man, give it a rest.
>>
>>906627

I was at rest, until, out of nowhere, after several days, I was criticized again.

I was at rest. And so was Drake Steel until his mood swing reverted.
>>
>>906626

I care a lot more about learning and helping to educate others than I care about my online ego.

I'll note again that if you want to argue with the substance of any of my advice, I would be happy to do so.
>>
>>906633

Healthy people don't converse the way you have here.
>>
>>906633

I'd be willing to concede that you've come up with a better way to do it, but that was never my point. My point was that it can be done on bench stones in a reasonable fashion. My point was that the knife doesn't need to be thrown out. I feel like I've proven that point.

As far as buying more tools to accomplish the task, it's not worth it to fix one $30 knife. You keep using that knife's cost as a justification for this and that, well that cuts both ways.

So, have you come up with a superior method? Probably. Is it redundant and impractical to fix the single $30 knife we've been discussing? Yes.

Do I seriously think you may have a personality disorder? Ya. I think there's something there. You'd be wise to look into that.
>>
File: 1478816695393.jpg (19KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1478816695393.jpg
19KB, 800x587px
>>906626
>healthy people
>>
>>906640
>can be done on benchstones

You already admitted using a benchstone would require doing the recurve and the non-recurved portions separately, which doubles the work. You also admitted that you had a 400 grit benchstone in mind, which is a minimum of 4x slower than a ~90 grit silicon carbide stone (in truth, a Norton Crystolon coarse is more than 4x faster than a Chosera 400, but i'll be generous).

I said it would take ~15 minutes to fix if it was a drop point without a recurve on a Crystolon coarse, and I said it would take at least 3x-5x as long to do on a recurve with a benchstone here:

>>902722

Now, 15 minutes times 2 for the two steps and 4 for the 1/4 as fast stone is a minimum of ~2 hours, which is more than 5x as long as 15 minutes.

That's not counting any time loss from not being able to make scrubbing passes on the recurve (you won't on a waterstone because the chips will catch the corner of the stone and chew it up), or the time wasted by using the existing edge bevel angle instead of raising the angle to ~45 degrees.

Add those in and you get to several hours for your method. Only if your time is worthless does it make sense to spend several hours to fix a $30 knife.

>it's not worth it to fix one $30 knife

Thank you for admitting I was totally correct. I inferred based on the guy asking the question that he didn't have any coarse enough stones or practice at chip removal, because he wouldn't even have asked the question if either were true.

Before I hit upon the Moldmaster rod idea the minimum dollar investment for him would have been to buy a Norton India coarse locally, which is ~$20 and I knew at first glance the knife was a ~$30 Kershaw or CRKT, hence my pointing out that it might make more sense to just buy a new knife in his case.

Even with the Moldmaster ~80 grit SiC rod you would still be looking at quite a bit of work to remove such deep chips.
>>
>>906652
>Only if your time is worthless does it make sense

If either one of us valued our time it would have made sense to drop this debate a long time ago. Honestly, I could have ground out a hundred blades like that one in the time I've spent arguing with you about how long it would take.

All I was trying to prove is that buddy's knife wasn't ruined by a few small chips. I consider it proved.
>>
File: 3137EEIzYhL._SY300_.jpg (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
3137EEIzYhL._SY300_.jpg
6KB, 300x300px
This should do the trick.
>>
>>906749

I consider the time I spend challenging incorrect information about sharpening online to be time well spent because it helps to educate others.

In particular, suggesting that .5mm deep chips along a recurved edge could be removed using a benchstone in 15 minutes is so incorrect as to amount to an outrageous falsehood. I did not want anyone to be mislead by such incorrect information. It certainly be done with a benchstone, but I would guess it to be a couple of hours work using a Norton India coarse and lots of mineral oil.
>>
>>906802

You started out telling someone to throw their knife away. I think I've dissuaded anyone following this thread of that foolish notion.

You may still think it's appropriate, but I don't think anyone else will be throwing knives out based on your opinion.

That's all I really set out to do.
>>
OP here. Will the two assholes still talking about sharpening blow each other elsewhere.
>>
>>906802

I just browsed a couple of your videos and I think I understand why you think this would take so long. Your method is very different than mine. No offense but you are slooooow. When I'm doing rough work, like something like chip removal, I lock my wrist and go the fuck to town, something like this: https://youtu.be/IiYT3xPNkoE?t=1m59s

I'd even say I'm humming along maybe faster than Murray in that particular video if I'm doing chip removal. I don't need to be highly precise to remove material in bulk. It's labor intensive, but it's the way I was trained and it works.

I was watching our video where you sped it up to 4x speed and honestly, that's about as fast as I'd be going irl to grind out these chips.

I think I understand why you think it would take so long.
>>
>>906848

Firstly, I go slow in my videos either for educational reasons or because I am being very careful and precise because I'm trying to generate reliable empirical data. I go faster off camera.

Secondly, when doing heavy grinding like removing fairly deep chips, I would not use complete heel to toe strokes but would switch to short scrubbing passes.

Thirdly, as I said above, my time estimates are not based on how long it would take *me* to do something, but how long I figure it would take using scrubbing passes.

Please go look at the original picture again and consider how much material you will have to remove to raise the apex line to the top of the deepest chip. That's at least 0.5mm along the whole length of the edge. It's a LOT of material to remove by hand grinding, especially when it would have to be a minimum of two steps for the recurved part and non-recurved part.

Can you really look at that blade and honestly believe it would take you less than an hour to fix, again considering you have to do the two halves separately on a benchstone?
>>
>>906917

I think you can I are using our stones a lot differently. Even sped up to 4x, you're slower than I am when I'm grinding aggressively.

You're slow. But what's audacious is how you think no one can be faster.
>>
File: Chip_Repair.jpg (2MB, 3264x1262px) Image search: [Google]
Chip_Repair.jpg
2MB, 3264x1262px
>>906938

Please take a look at this image, where I've drawn a red line to show how much the apex line will have to be raised, at minimum, to remove the chips.

How long do you really believe it would take you to do that? Using a Chosera 400 in the manner you described? I'm actually really curious to how fast you actually think this can be done.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (278KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
278KB, 1600x1200px
>>898487

Only knife you will ever need.
>>
Any thoughts on this knife ?
>>
>>907216
Looks memetastic

What do you want to use it for?

Hollow grind, coated blade, angular handle would all put me off it.
>>
>>907216

No, but I have one from the maker and the grind and sharpening on the new knife was muff cabbage. I wouldn't recommend them.
>>
>>898777
Wheres pic related from?
>>
>>902339
HX Outdoors Rock
>>
File: Now Kiss(1).png (89KB, 416x413px) Image search: [Google]
Now Kiss(1).png
89KB, 416x413px
>>906938
>>906972
>>
>>905646
AK bayonet's from any country are trash desu, collectors items and can openers basically. Weirdly enough communism isn't usually the best at producing high quality items.
>>
>>906972
Random anon, just go to town on it man. What's it really cost you? He says it's too much time to consume on the knife, but you know. I'm sure you have down time somewhere on your schedule. Just take her a little at a time. Ten minutes before work? Touch her up! That being said, I don't think it'll take you too long at all on the right stone
>>
>>907366
Bladeforums, it's by one of the makers in the knifemakers market
>>
>>905646
Don't listen to those faggots. Depending where and when it was produced it can be very decent. Sadly there's no information about this so it's a lottery. Grind it however you want (you can keep the chisel grind or change it, just make sure to get rid of that horrible secondary bevel), sharpen it, use it and if it turns out it's shit just put it on your shelf.
I kept the chisel with a half convex grind and I can abuse the shit out of mine without a single dent. I need a smaller knife for finer woodwork however and you're gonna need one too.
The serrations on the back is a pain in the ass, erm, thumb and the handle is uncomfortable.
>>
File: ca79j.jpg (15KB, 360x309px) Image search: [Google]
ca79j.jpg
15KB, 360x309px
What folder does out carry most often?
I like one handed openers for ease of use but something in me wants a traditional multi blade slip joint lately. Talk me into or out of it.
>>
>>906393
ignorance like this is why I don't visit /out very often. I know a /knife thread is going to be pure autism but I always hope /out is going to have a slightly higher ratio of people who actually know what they're talking about and I'm constantly disappointed.
>>
File: 18-skeletool.jpg (15KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
18-skeletool.jpg
15KB, 600x600px
I want a multitool with one of those cool built in carabiners for EDC and camping, trying to decide between the Skeletool and the Signal, is the signal too much shit that I'll never use? And are there any other multitools I should look at that are similar?
>>
>>909695
meme tier imo
>>
File: IMG_2225.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2225.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>909695
>>909863
Idk I haven't had any problems with muh Skeletool
>>
File: Kbarazi.jpg (41KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Kbarazi.jpg
41KB, 1000x1000px
>>907077
I have a buddy, one of those collectables guys. He has all of the Rambo knives and other shit like from Predator and Commando. Those knives are so not practical but so fun to fantasize about--Hollywood Mall Ninja Kitsch
>>
>>908148
You can do all that 1900's woodsman stuff with those multi blade folders. You can do really intricate carving or keep one blade for skinning/gutting and one for utility/wood tasks.
>>
File: 1464014467724.jpg (361KB, 1544x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1464014467724.jpg
361KB, 1544x1024px
>>906393
eww coated blade
>>
File: Leatherman-Juice-S2-Lg.jpg (17KB, 496x300px) Image search: [Google]
Leatherman-Juice-S2-Lg.jpg
17KB, 496x300px
>>909695
IMO the S2 juice is the one you want,,
>>
File: DSCN0036.jpg (4MB, 5152x3864px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0036.jpg
4MB, 5152x3864px
Hello these are my knives
>>
>>906570

S1

Always
>>
>>904160
Those are both good reasons
>>
>>905671
Stainless, Looks like a -tan, likely pakistan. Would not spend 38 bucks on.
>>
>>906528
What do you plan on doin with it?
>>
>>908148
Svord peasant knife. Black plastic handle, edc for 6 years. 7 bucks. Use the opening handle for openING cans, bottles, flathead screws as much as the knife. 11/10
>>
>>905665
>>907638
Of course their trash, it was a knife without an edge. Idk about the softness of the steel though, it took a long fucking time with a dremel to get it to even sharpenable. I usually don't do bushcraft so I never really had that in mind for the AK; if I did, I'd probably use that RAK or my mora. Before now, my camp knife was a $20 ka-bar knock off from a pawn shop that also required sharpening with power tools to make it even reasonable.

>>907687
The chisel grind was fake, when I said 180 degree edge I meant that the edge was a flat surface about 1.5mm wide.

Yeah, I figured for less than $15 it's a project. I put a 25 degree on each side edge on it, the "grind" that made it chisel was entirely for show so sadly it has a secondary bevel on one side, on the other side its just a flat grind.
>>
>>906390
Yeah but hes fat
>>
>>911335
bayonets have soft steel so they bend instead of breaking in combat

they're really made with combat in mind, not bushcraft, so generally bayonets are not ideal for recreational use
>>
>>905885
bump
>>
>>902339
Condor bushlore
>>
>>905671

>>910547 is right.
Made in Pakistan with probably the cheapest Stainless steel they could find.
Worthless (well, not worth 38 buckaroos) unless you're a collector or something.
>>
>>911335
>using power tools to sharpen

wew
>>
File: purple-dong.jpg (13KB, 295x295px) Image search: [Google]
purple-dong.jpg
13KB, 295x295px
>>911526
>bayonets have soft steel so they bend
>really made with combat in mind
Yeah combat is clearly about smacking each other with rubber dildos.
>>
>>912229
>Yeah combat is clearly about smacking each other with rubber dildos.

>"you were in the army?!"
>"they were looking for a few good men, and so was I"
>>
>>906528
definitely an s1. I bought the f1 and regretted it for ages. The s1 can do everything the f1 can and more. it's a more rounded woods knife. also the black coating on falkniven's stuff is pretty poor so dont b e surprised if it comes off after battoning
>>
>>912211
can you really blame me when it was 2mm of flat surface? There wasn't a somewhat-sharp-but-not-sharp-enough nor a dull edge, it was literally a flat rectangular surface that didn't even taper at the point. It was like they stamped a blade shape but never even gave it an initial sharpening. The large bevel on one side was purely aesthetic. It's a sub-$15 slav bayonet, it was made for poking but I thought they at least were supposed to double as a utility knife.

I hear some come sharp but that it can be a crap shoot unless you know what you're getting. For what I paid, it was a crap shoot and really, I'm fine with taking improper tools to even a $20-30 blade if it's junk.

There is no doubt in my mind that a dremel is not a good way to sharpen but I don't have a belt-sander or bench-grinder. It was a fast way to at least bring the thickness down enough to use my lansky stones with the cheater's guide rods to at least make it capable of cutting paper.

>>912229
you're a dildo
>>
>>912269
It was made for armory and peace time duty (=using it as a deadweight when guarding the base). It's supposed to be sharpened in case of war.
It's a very bad idea to give sharp objects to bored alcoholic Slav conscripts they would just cut themselves and each other.
If you can buy a sharpened one it means that piece was stolen just right before the end of service and sharpened at home. Then sold to get money for vodka.
>>
>>912229
well what would you prefer when you try to stab through body armor, clothes, webbing and bone with your knife, that the knife snaps and a part of it breaks off or that the steel is held together by being slightly more flexible

fucking jackass
>>
File: 1481767493399.jpg (247KB, 1024x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1481767493399.jpg
247KB, 1024x1536px
If you're looking for practicality, look no further

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBZ2eHpth2s
>>
>>912323
learning all sorts of shit about my new trashy slav knife
>>
File: viet_phun.png (270KB, 1743x666px) Image search: [Google]
viet_phun.png
270KB, 1743x666px
>>912324
>a dozen VC clad in gothic plate armor launch a sudden bayonet-charge against an outpost, bellowing terrifying warcry
>'Me rove you rong time!'
>the ambushed marines call artillery strike, air support and orbital bombardment then they snatch their power armour and begin a counter-charge
>'Semper Fi and Purge Heresy'
>while they cannot pierce through cotton and epidermis both sides give thanks to God their rubber dildos are flexible enough not to break and they keep continue poking at each other
>Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
>>
>>912714
>blue board

Ehh, I'm not gonna report it tho. Nice seein some azn grills wit titties

>>912323
But they still give them loaded guns...
>>
>>912937
>someone wrote this, and thought it would be funny.
>>
>>912954
+1

That is some true autism
>>
>>912957
true autism is not realizing your jokes suck
>>
>>900746
I actually wouldn't be surprised if it survived the volcano and was found hundreds of thousands of years later by our evolutionary descendants at an archaeological dig.
I'm just talking about the blade of course.
>>
>>912953
>But they still give them loaded guns...
But those loaded guns weren't at hand all the time. Depending the place (country and the actual area of service) and time (the year of the cold war era) soldiers got live rounds differently. It could happen they only saw these on the shooting range or guard duty. The latter was a popular place of committing suicide.
>>
>>912914
I can make very fine feathers with mine when I use it like a drawknife.
>>
>>
sorry to ask such a stupid question but I wanted to get my wife a good /out/ knife, since she doesn't care for the mora I gave her when we first got together, I'm wondering what you recommend
>>
>>913876
besides dumping her since she obviously cannot recognize greatness?
>>
>>913913
considered it, then decided what else can I expect for falling in love with a city girl.
>>
>>911942
bushlore vs woodlaw vs Kephart? what're each best at, I want to buy a blade to finish as a medium knife to pair with an axe and a Puukko
>>
>>913876

Get her an Azula II brah.
>>
File: TOAN7na.jpg (198KB, 1160x768px) Image search: [Google]
TOAN7na.jpg
198KB, 1160x768px
I'm thinking about getting an TOPS Anaconda 7B tomorrow for back country and camp use. I have a camping axe but I want a nice knife.

I've asked /k/ but something tells me they're mostly morons and not necessarily a good pool of info.

It's 35% off and I wanted some outdoors-men advice.
>>
>>915115

What do you want to do with it?

It's shit
>>
File: large-eseeizulapurp.jpg (100KB, 900x527px) Image search: [Google]
large-eseeizulapurp.jpg
100KB, 900x527px
>>913876

It's just that she probably doesnt care about knives in general, in which case what you can only hope to achieve is to get her a good knife that you know she'll be able to rely on and call it a day.
>>
>>912211

You're retarded, you know this, right?
>>
I have this one.
>>
File: 20161108_125358.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_125358.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>915115

don't.

If you want a knife for /out/, stay away from agressive finger groves, and big, saber grind blades that are 1/4'' thick.

Pic related is the kind of knife you want - simple, comfortable handle, 4'' blade, 1/8'' thick. Obviously just an example - also look at the lt wright genesis/gns, bushcrafter (made both by ltwk and bhk), esee3 hm (modified handle) or one of esee camp lore series (rb3 is good), helle temagami, and other similar knives.
>>
>>905671
ah good old stainless pakistan brand. i got my finger cut pretty good after one of their knockoff 110's lock failed on me. it would have messed me up even more if you could put an edge on their shitty steel.

what a dumb brand name, stainless pakistan. i guess the stainless and pakistan brothers decided to get together and make knives one day. where are they located anyway?
>>
>>915444
Also a recurve is a pain in the ass to sharpen.
>>
>>913876
Buy her a dildo instead.
>>
>>910134
Looks like a brand new knife, that's easy to remove.
>>906486
Good luck batoning with that
>>
>>906398
Esee a shit. Broke mine after batoning it, maybe a lemon but the tops bob is much better for the small price difference. Just hate the advertisements on the blade but that's easy to remove.
>>908173
Please explain why a swedge is relevant on an /out/ knife?
>>
>>902154
gay

dragon dildo is more useful
>>
>>898497
>Save weight by leaving you are sharpener at home.
>>
>>912714
Sauce pls.
>>
>>916560
DYEM?!?
>do
>you
>even
>meme
>?!?
>>
>>898487
Is the Ontario 499/"survival knife" any good?
>>
>>898497
This has got to be bait....
>>
File: IMG_2222.jpg (556KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2222.jpg
556KB, 500x500px
>>916569
>>
File: KIMG0096.jpg (68KB, 528x939px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0096.jpg
68KB, 528x939px
>>900647

muh mora n gecko

mora sees more use for practical stuff

all i use my gekko for is cutting food products
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 300x300px
Opinions on Steel Will?
>>
What is the CHEAPEST /out/-approved pocket knife?
>>
>>918012
Opinel/Mora.
>>
File: Glock_Field_Knife_78.jpg (484KB, 4135x2336px) Image search: [Google]
Glock_Field_Knife_78.jpg
484KB, 4135x2336px
Get one of these.

As much as I want to dislike this fucker, I find that I keep coming back to it for camp chore and beater duties. It is not a super sexy custom made job, or a custom spec ops survival macgyver knife. It is just a handy and reliable bit of sharp steel.
>>
>>918012
Opinel number 8
>>
>>918112

You're a trashy faggot with no taste and no sense of writing either.

Fuck off with your shit recommendations, someone who didnt know any better could buy that shit based on your stupidity
>>
>>918012
Svord peasant
>>
>>918112

He asked for KNIFE recommendations not barely sharpened 1/4" thick fucking pry bar recommendations, you inveterate pleb.
>>
>>918116
This. Got a No. 9 is based. Take that fucker everywhere and use it constantly. Only cost like $10.
>>
Is the leatherman wave overrated for a multi-tool?
>>
>>918254
No.

I don't have the Wave, but I have used Leathermans and a ton of cheaper ones and there is a huge difference in quality. If you actually intend to carry it with you a lot and use it, spend the money on a Leatherman.
>>
File: ARGONAUT_820_BIG_02.jpg (38KB, 1232x290px) Image search: [Google]
ARGONAUT_820_BIG_02.jpg
38KB, 1232x290px
>>917550

aesthetic
>>
>>918254
Also asking this. Got it on Christmas. Is it good for outdoor?
>>
>>918254
>>918293
I've been EDC'ing one for about half a year now. I use it pretty much every day for minor tasks, and it's never failed me. It's a marvelous multitool.
>>
>>918293
>>918258
Glad to hear. Are any of the variations like the Surge or Blast worth it, or is the wave the right combo of size and versatility?
>>
Any good experiences with chink a chink knife? I'm thinking about getting one from ali.
>>
>>915839
Interesting because I've never broken one and I've batoned the shit out of them.

The reverse sharp let's it get into and under skin if you're processing meat, also makes it a little stabbier. Not super useful imo but I've already got an Esee 6 with the plain drop point so a 4inch with both sides sharp gives me some flexibility in how I use the combination of the two.
>>
File: RSKMk2_beauty2_1000w.jpg (94KB, 1000x409px) Image search: [Google]
RSKMk2_beauty2_1000w.jpg
94KB, 1000x409px
>>902144
Get a bk12 instead

Less weight and better blade contour. Also a little nicer metal.
>>
>>899238 here

Decided to remove the coating completely.
>>
File: Knife Collection.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
Knife Collection.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
Hey guys.

I have a $50 Amazon Gift card. I like knives, and all sorts of blades, and survival shit in general.

What would be good to purchase?

Gonna link all the knives that I already have.

https://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Marine-Corps-Fighting-Straight/dp/B001H53Q6M/ref=sr_1_1?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1483053529&sr=1-1&keywords=kabar+knife

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003R0LSMO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_16?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Tenacious-Folding-Knife-Handle/dp/B007CK1MNU/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1483053589&sr=1-2&keywords=spyderco+tenacious

Don't know what would be good to add or not to the collection.
>>
>>921027

>owning branded gerber junk
>not owing a mora
>not owing a RAT
I'm very disappointed in you
>>
>>921031
I got the Gerber for free from a friend anon...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013ASG3E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=226AUJPSPOUPG&coliid=I2X6VZNT1VVV88

Is this the one your talking about?

>Mora
What is so good about them?
>>
>>921033

>I got the Gerber for free from a friend anon...
well that's good
gerber isn't terrible but I'd hate to think someone would buy one because of mr. drink-yer-own-pee

>Is this the one your talking about?
yes, for the money they are nearly as good as it gets

>What is so good about them?
everything

cheap, sharp, stupidly easy to sharpen, lightweight, simple but effective sheath, nice handle material, good proportions

the only downside is that you should take better care of the carbon steel models as they will otherwise rust
>>
>>921038
Yea anon I definitely know that Gerber isn't the best, a few of there knifes are pretty good, but I would never spend much money on any of them.

Well I have a Spyderco, is there any point in getting another one?

Would a Mora be a good knife to keep in a survival bag? Good enough for camping, hunting, and etc.
>>
>>898487
I've been looking at the ESEE Laser Strike, how is it?
>>
>>921040
>Well I have a Spyderco, is there any point in getting another one?
the tenacious is probably the best of the lower end models

the next up would be the delica with vg-10 blade, but it's like $65
(I'd just stick with what you've got)

>Would a Mora be a good knife to keep in a survival bag? Good enough for camping, hunting, and etc
absolutely

however if you would be regularly leaving it for an extended period of time, you might want to look at the stainless models instead of carbon...again, rusting
(if you did go carbon, some paste wax might greatly help prevent any issues)
>>
>>921050
Yea the Tenacious is a very well made blade, very sharp and seems is good quality.

This Mora looks pretty good

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Stainless-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B004ZAIXSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483056287&sr=8-1&keywords=mora+stainless+steel+knife

Although it is not something that I would keep on me, I feel like it is more of something that you keep in a bag for whatever reason.
(Just need to find a good bag to put my water purification tablets, knifes, fire starter, filter, and a small supply of food)

What other blades do you recommend?
>>
>>921054
>What other blades do you recommend?
I lost count of how many knives I own years ago...honestly, if I had to pick one folder and one fixed blade (with a limited budget) to use and rely on, the RAT and mora would be it

if you want other knives simply to try out the design or functionality, lower quality knockoffs can be found on places like aliexpress and gearbest....some people have been really happy with what they've bought

the condor models are also decent, reasonably priced knives if you like carbon steel; the shapes and grinds vary
>>
>>921070
Yea I feel like getting some Ganzo blades on Gearbest sometime, and I probably will. Thing is that I currently have some spare money on Amazon and want to get some stuff.

Maybe I'll just get the Mora I linked and a machete or something.
>>
>>921089
if you are looking for a hatchet, there's a fiskars one for $25
>>
>>921094
Ah I don't know what I would do with one honestly, especially in my area. I live in Miami so there isn't many trees to chop down. (I do have a forest close by but it's a national park so I can't chop anything)
>>
>>921097
well that would be a problem

fishing gear?
>>
>>921103
Yea that is possible. I have some small lakes in that same park, I haven't been fishing there in a while but I wouldn't mind doing so every once in a while.
Fishing rods are kinda big and bulky so I use an extremely simple yo-yo for fishing. Bait is sometimes an issue.
>>
Just bought a RAT. Did I fall for a meme?
>>
>>921112
not in the least bit
>>
File: sheeeet.jpg (22KB, 660x630px) Image search: [Google]
sheeeet.jpg
22KB, 660x630px
>>908148
case are such great knives, you can hand that down to your imaginary children.
>>
File: 119bk.1.1.jpg (68KB, 550x385px) Image search: [Google]
119bk.1.1.jpg
68KB, 550x385px
How´s this for a general-purpose outdoor knife? I may be able to acquire one for approximately 80€.
>>
File: thatguyinthebackground.jpg (31KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
thatguyinthebackground.jpg
31KB, 500x400px
>>921420
imo too large and lesser steel for what you're paying
>>
>>921435
I assume US bills to be slightly over 15.2cm long. Is that blade length insufficient for general-purpose use? Elaborate your criticism, please.
>>
>>921420

Why would you settle with an ugly-ass buck when you could do much better for the same money or less
>>
>>921449

insufficient? no, over-sufficient
according to amzn, it's 10.5" overall or a little under 27cm....for comparison my kabar comes in at about 30cm (I don't take it with for "general" use because it's so large

unless you want to be rambo running around the forest, get something more practical....my mora is only 22cm overall
>>
>>921484
there are other Bucks that are not as large:

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-0118BKS-Phenolic-Personal/dp/B00HTWJHTC

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-192BR-Vanguard-Fixed-Blade/dp/B000EHWWLE

https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-Woodsman-Fixed-Blade/dp/B0001WAOF8

and other options that may be in the same range:

https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife-8630-RAT-3/dp/B001DZV3C0
>>
File: ex-084tskdw.jpg (55KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ex-084tskdw.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
Patrician knife coming through, you shitty plebs.
>>
>>921112
Have you gotten it yet?
>>
File: 20161230_153257.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20161230_153257.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Just got this as a late Christmas gift.
>>
>>921027
Well what kinda knife do you want?
>>
>>921420
They're about 40 American dollars and I think maybe worth 50. Good knife, maybe you paid a bit much. Doesn't matter at this point though
>>
>>921648
I don't know to be honest mate. I already have a pocket knife, a combat blade, and a survival knife.

What else could I need or use? I was thinking this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZAIXSC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
>>921186
We can always hope to be a stepdad one day and pass our Moras down to our wife's son.

I'm mostly just banking on becoming an uncle before I die.
>>
>>921652
I always tend toward carbon steel but stainless can be good too.
Henckels classic chef knife is good if you cook a lot.
Buck 110 or 112 are good large pocket knives, great for playing around outside.
>>
>>921864
Carbon steel rusts which is why I rather go with stainless. I don't cook, and have a pocket knife already that is quite good.

Looking for something that I don't already have, but that has a purpose. I guess maybe I could get other pocket knifes just for the fuck of it.
>>
im planning to buy an edc knife. Cheap but good(live in europe, student) I cant decide between ontario rat 1, spyderco tenacious and kershaw cryo 2. Right now i have charge al, but i was thinking of getting main blade for edc. Any suggestions??
>>
>>921513
>sheepsfoot
>serrated
Into the trash it goes
>>
File: takeyerpick.jpg (103KB, 837x501px) Image search: [Google]
takeyerpick.jpg
103KB, 837x501px
>>921972
you can't go wrong

just comes down to personal preference
>>
>>921957
110 is almost too big to edc. Has like a 4in blade
>>
>>921972
Carry a puukko. Puukkos are kewl.

You can probably get a nice wood handled Marttiini for like 30 euros.
>>
>>922002
I have mora i use /out/ings, i havent considered them. thanks. will look into Marttinis
>>
>>922006
Lumberjack carbon was the budget option, methinks. Same decent carbon steel - and you get to work on the handle & make it your baby.
>>
>>921484
Can confirm. I love my 119 but not really as Asa general purpose knife. Handle thickness tapers to the hilt instead of the buttons and the blade is a bit long for actual work that doesn't involve opening arteries.

I'll I'll be cutting the whole thing down eventually
>>
>>921991
I don't know, I think from now on I am gonna order some cheap knifes from China, since I can get so many different ones for a cheap price. I can abuse them then also, like throw them, or use them to carve on trees.
>>
File: DSCF7854.jpg (763KB, 3663x2930px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7854.jpg
763KB, 3663x2930px
>>921972
personally I like the spydie hole rather than the stud.

Not sure why you'd go for the tenacious rather than the delica or endura. I'm not a huge fan of a backlock but they still seem like better knives than the endura.

BTW I am a UKfag and I edc an ELMAX UKPK,
>>
>>898487
Gerber has a weak tang.
>>
Should I strop my EDC beater after I run it through the sharp maker?
>>
>>918112
Sometimes that's all you need
>>
File: IMG_1517.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1517.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
forgive potato, please.

The end snapped off my opinel...oh well, they are cheap as chips anyway.
>>
>>924139
>cheap as chips

Literally, apparently.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 70

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.