[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 69

File: image.jpg (105KB, 741x579px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 741x579px
#80-"September!" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>848701

Is everybody ready for cooler water and spinnerbaits instead of skeeters and Texas rigs? I can't wait but lolsouthflorida so I still have a couple months until the largemouth get moving good. February is by far the best time for bass.

I'm probably moving soon too which means I will lose out on fishing time. I'm probably going to be even closer to saltwater, which means further from freshwater. Haven't decided on a house yet but a lot of them are right next to the Intercoastal.

Pastebin and Imgur. Thinkin about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
I'm the gainesville/lake newnan anon

I went out a couple days ago and caught 4 crappie and a couple of bass. Thanks a lot to whoever recommended me the white powerbait grubs cause that's what I caught all the specs on.

Pic related got me 2 bass and another that pulled drag for a good 5-6 seconds and broke me off on underwater trees. Had to have been atleast 4-5 lbs. I think pepsi told me to try out finesse worms like two months ago and now I want more cause these things worked great.
>>
Got another river smallmouth today. Also a 7" baby striper. It was an alright day of fishing.
>>
newfriend here

are you not supposed to pass your line through a very small loop close to the rod handle? is that where you store your hook?

dont laugh pls
>>
>>850549
Nah its just there to hang your hook. Best for trebels
>>
What would be a good budget (under 50 dollars) ultralight combo about 6-7 foot long?
I can't justify any more than that for bluegill and crappie,
>>
>>850549
A surprising amount of people ask that question, don't feel bad
That little thing is only a hook holder
>>
>>850553
>>850549
It's because of where they put that hook keeper on the Ugly Stik GX2's. It almost looks like a guide.

>>850546
Those white grubs are great.
>>
>>850552
I have a 7 foot ultralight fiberglass rod from the 70s that needs refinishing badly. Its a Wright an McGill.

Needs new grips, all the eyes need rewrapping and of course some new finish. Its a two part rod too, and it has to be a super light action, the thing is so crazy bouncy... Been meaning to restore it for bluegill too. But finding enough clearcoat finish thats gonna work, not look like shit, and not be more then 20 bucks.. Is difficult.
>>
considering a memecaster but i really prefer to throw small plastics on 1/16 or 1/8 slider heads so i don't know if such small weight can really be casted with one

i've just always had more success putting big bass on that way
must be my area
>>
>>850559
Yeah that's a little light for memecasters
You'll have trouble up to about 1/4 ounce minimum
>>
>>850552
shakespeare has a 5'6 catch more trout combo

i think uglystick has a 4'6 ultralite
>>
SF anon here again. Hitting the salt tomorrow for the first time ever! Lures I will try:

- Daiwa Salt Pro Minnow Floating, 6"
- Spro Bucktail Jig, 1/2 oz with a Berkley Gulp Grub
- Acme Kastmaster, 3/4 oz

I'd not be surprised if I got skunked, but it should be fun anyways.
>>
>>850562
Eh I don't really want another uglystik
I was thinking maybe an okuma celilo ul 6'6" and I don't know what for a reel
>>
>>850571
I doubt you'll get nothing
Hell, bring a few smaller hooks and weights and a some shrimp or other bait, worst case scenario you just pull dinks for a while
I'll take dinks over nothing any day of the week and twice on sunday
>>
>>850571
If your near a pier. Soneone always has a cast net. And most of the time one throw out will be way more fish you will need for like the whole day. Dont be afraid to ask for a couple of bait fish. Idk if you got sailors choice on the west coast but thats a good lucky bait fish here on the east.
>>
>>850578
> commiefornia
> cast net

Not until a few years if we are really lucky
>>
File: image.jpg (718KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
718KB, 3264x2448px
yay snook
>>
File: 3238555.jpg (34KB, 334x279px) Image search: [Google]
3238555.jpg
34KB, 334x279px
>>850543
>thread 80

Wooooooo!
>>
File: M-Lake.png (2MB, 1228x1892px) Image search: [Google]
M-Lake.png
2MB, 1228x1892px
I'm going channel catfishing soon at a local lake that allows live minnows. I'll catch baitfish on-site and use those.

Here's what the lake looks like. The zoomed in area shows how many dead trees there are in it. The entire thing is like this. It was some river that got damned up and flooded the nearby banks, thus tons of submerged trees EVERYWHERE.

I circled what I think might be "okay" spots for channel cats. Anyone have recommendations of good spots?
>>
Thank God this tropical storm moved on so I can get out and fish today
>>
Just seen a qt grill running through the woods. Should I leave a note on her car?
>>
>>850552
Just go to Walmart. They hade several different options for reels and rods in the ultra light/ light category. You should easily be able to get a set up for around $50
>>
>>850671
Yes

Tell her about your big fish ;-)
>>
>>850559
unfortunate when it comes to baitcasters it takes a higher priced reel to be able to do that. My curado casts 1/8oz lures no problem. look at shimano citcas, they are similar but at a cheaper price point
>>
>>850675
What would be a good rod to pair that with?
>>
>>850681
the rod is just as important when it comes to casting light tackle. id say 6'6"-7' rod in a medium light-medium action. medium heavy would be too much and light would be too little
>>
>>850664
I do a lot of jug lining for channel cats and there will definitely be some in that timber. Be careful about stumps and keep your motor up whenever possible
>>
>>850675
What line are you running on it?

With my memecasters, I don't really like going below 1/4oz. The Revo will cast lighter, but they become much less forgiving if you get a gust of wind or make a shitty cast. So I just break out a spinning combo for that.
>>
>>850692
For light tackle like that i'll run 10-20# braid. and yeah like you said if there is any wind then your basically fucked
>>
>>850695
I want to set up another memecaster combo one of these days and I'm on the fence whether to go with 40lb SuperSlick or get down on some 10lb or 15lb.

No spending like that for a bit though. Busy looking at new houses. This sucks, I don't want to move. Some of them have lake access though. And a lot of them are in this neighborhood on a lake I really want to fish but can't get in because it's a gated community.
>>
>>850552
I have a BPS Microlite rod that is 7ft 6". It is n ormally $60, but I got it when it went on sale for $40. It's an excellent rod, and I would totally reccommend it. They have 7ft and a bunch of other sizes as well, so you will be able to find the one you want.
>>
>>850612
Wut? I see people using those all the time. Maybe we are talking about different types of nets.
>>
>>850686
I would go all the way down to light just to be sure. My medium rod can cast 1/8 oz, but just barely and it feels shitty.
>>
>>850699
I feel comfortable putting 30# on the majority of my reels. I use it for everything. if I need to finesse something or im in clear water I just use a flouro leader
>>
>>850704
yeah you're right you could probably get away with a light rod. it just kinda narrows the size of fish that you can target
>>
>>850704
I can cast 1/16 with my medium 6'6" just fine
>>
>>850664
>>850690

same anon again, the spot in the rectangle and the spot in the biggest circle should also be productive for channel cat. see if google earth has a historic satellite image from a drought that shows where the submerged creek channels are. Try to target within 5ft of them. if you want lots of small channel cats throw night crawlers on slip float rigs under overhanging trees on the outside of the river bends.

what are you fishing in/with? if jugging is legal in your state you should try that. you can make 6 out of a pool noodle for about 40 cents a piece if you use a 4/0 gamakatsu octopus circle and any leftover braid or +20lb test line. be sure to wrap duct tape around the noodle where you tie the line around so it doesn't get pulled through the foam. you can also use plastic soda/powerade bottles.
>>
>>850699
>>850695
>>850692

for 1/8oz and under youre best off with a spinning reel spooled with 4lb mono. you can go up to 6lb but mono casts much much better than braid at those weights.

for trout i ususally use 1/8oz lures and jigs on a medium light/light action rod with 6lb test. for panfish i'll use a 1/16-1/32oz lure on an ultralight spooled with 2lb (or 4lb if casting into cover/muddy water)
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Snapping turtle got me good. Little faggot
>>
>>850716
What am I looking at here? some kind of frog?
>>
>>850718
the bottom of a frog thats ripped open by a snapping turtle attacking it
>>
will feeding crappie to a water bird kill it
>>
>>850723
Yes
>>
File: sausalitoo.jpg (78KB, 413x550px) Image search: [Google]
sausalitoo.jpg
78KB, 413x550px
>>850571
sloat area and pacifica has been hittin for stripers and perch.

>>850612
you can use one in nor cal.
>>
>>850716
Use a lighter to melt it back shut
>>
>>850746
Or just buy a new one for $5...
>>
>>850746
if it's latex it binds together on it's own
>>
>>850751
>>850746
thing sucked dicker anyway. I just binned it
>>
File: 135686.jpg (386KB, 1023x766px) Image search: [Google]
135686.jpg
386KB, 1023x766px
>>850664
Well shit. Someone borrowed my truck and returned it with a massive bolt in the tire. Can't patch the hole, it is too large. Can't use donut to drive that far. Nothing is open on the weekend.

>ruined muh day

>>850690
>>850714
Can't legally jug/trotline here and that place is heavily patrolled (like 4 rangers will check your license every few hours). The laws recently changed it seems. I guess they have nothing better to do.

Yeah, with google earth you can actually see the old river bank in the water. Finding the dropoff is no problem there.

>what are you fishing in/with?

50lbs high vis braided line, FG knot, 20lbs mono leader, snell knot, 5/0 circle hook, baitfish; using slip bobber rig since the bottom is so littered with logs and trees. Though a Santee rig may work during the day in the submerged river bed.
>>
>>850674
I kept fishing. When I finally got back out to the road there were 3 cars there. One had a le reddit sticker on it. It was probably hers.
>>
got this thread goin on /k/ my buddys there recommended i try out any advice?

>>>/k/31205261
>>
got skunked fly fishing today so I brought out the bread on an ultra light. Fyi, I have manlet hands so that is small ass dink of a dink.
>>
Why can't I ever hook fish when ledgering? I usually use a standard simple running ledger rig, and my strikes usually set the hook when float or lure fishing about 75% of the time, but ledgering I can never set the hook. Do I need to strike later when ledgering or what?
>>
File: miller's thumb.jpg (122KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
miller's thumb.jpg
122KB, 2048x1152px
Smallest fish you've ever caught fishing?
European Bullhead, AKA Miller's Thumb I caught today is the first of this species I've ever caught, contender for smallest I've ever caught fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>850848
I've caught gobies about that size
>>
>>850848
Was at a lake once and caught what looked like minnow sized trout? Didn't take a picture because I caught so many in my attempts to catch a real fish.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>850848
Lots of small bluegill I'm sure. I have pulled a few shiners out of the pond I fished as a kid, but the smallest bluegill were definitely smaller.

I wanted to get down south to those peacocks lakes this afternnon, but got tied up looking at houses. They have some different cichlids and I want to try and get some of those but I never have the UL gear on me while they are around.

Gonna try and hit a local lake for a bit before it gets too late.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>850849
Wut a qt3.14. What did you catch that on?

>>850852
>what looked like
Probably baby trout. The colors on lots of fish don't really come out until they get bigger. The Mayans are like that, they will have the vertical bars but no red or orange. And the snakeheads don't get the black and white diamond patches along the side until they get larger. The babby peacocks didn't have much color either and you would think it was a perch not knowing where the pic was taken.

I think I need to find an online fishing forum with lots of bass anglers from the north and tell them I caught pic related in Minnesota. It will start an argument and confusion I'm sure.
>>
File: image.jpg (565KB, 2753x1625px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
565KB, 2753x1625px
>>850875
>Wut a qt3.14. What did you catch that on?

They arnt qt's, their fags. They eat all the bass and walleye eggs. I caught 12 in a row in 3 minutes one after another from a boat launch a foot away from the cement break wall. I just dropped a tiny piece of work down to the rocks and instantly one would grab it. 11 of them looked like pic related but number 12 was almost entity black it was weird. They stopped biting after the black one came up. Kinda spooky
>>
>>850848
>Smallest fish you've ever caught fishing?

Minnows on super ultra light tackle using tiny trout hooks used normally for tying midge flies. Some were barely an inch long. Pretty fun actually.
>>
>>850846
What type of hooks are you using? How long is the leader distance from the main line to the hooks on the side?
>>
>>850882
The best part is you can lip them.

Are you in Canada? Strange that you have those things in the same places as bass and walleye. Aren't they notmally saltwater or brackish?
>>
>>850848
>>850849
i catch these barehanded
>>
>>850887
I usually use size 14-8, drennan hooks, barbless, and about a foot long leader between the hook and the weight.
>>
>>850889
took me like 8 trys to get that picture. and no i'm not in Canada, i'm in NY
>>
I give up.

I've tried pretty hard to pressure pepsifag into going saltwater fishing because I knew he would love to catch snook and he's wasting an excellent opportunity to catch some really fun saltwater fish. He's just too stubborn famalamahams.
>>
>>850900
Go to be skid, he probably has been saltwater fishing and says he hasn't just because it's so funny to see you triggered
>>
skunked 2 days in a row now

have the fish caught on?

is it me?
>>
File: Ledger-rig.gif (15KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
Ledger-rig.gif
15KB, 500x558px
>>850892
I mean how much line do you have from the main line to the hook?
>>
>>850912
>is it me?

It is you.
>>
>>850924
one foot, roughly
>>
>>850939
Maybe the hooks are being fouled by the bait?

Also, being barbless hooks, the weight pulling downward may be turning the hook in respect to your upward pull and slipping them out of the fish mouth.
>>
BULLHEAD BITE MY FUCKING WORM ALREADY YOU SHITS I'M GETTING BITTEN BY MOSQUITOS YOU CUNTS
>>
How do I stop looping lads?
>>
>>850982
PowerPro
>>
Had great luck with the surf perch on my ultra light rig. Highly recommend ultra light tackle surf fishing if you haven't tried it. It's a lot of fun grabbing a 10 inch perch and hearing that drag start screaming
>>
>>850711
Probably because my reel is at the low end of the quality spectrum for baitcast and I run 40lb braid on it. Also the rod is pretty stiff so it doesn't load up as well.
>>
>>850848
I've caught a bunch of mosquitofish on micro gear before.
>>
>>850845
Haha don't feel bad. I caught a bluegill last time out that was less than an inch long. If I had a bubbler in my live well I would have kept it and put it in my aquarium
>>
>>850993
Meanwhile I have a spinning reel spooled with 6 lb mono

That's much moreso where the difference is than the power
>>
>>851007
We were talking specifically about baitcast reels though, the anon I was replying to wanted a setup that could throw light lures.
>>
>>851020
Oh okay disregard then
>>
>go to new lake today
>level was about 3-4 feet too low

Only got one bass in 2 hours fishing

Suppose I'll have to wait until whatever regulatory agency decides to raise the dam gates til I go back there
>>
File: 20160904_033052.jpg (801KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_033052.jpg
801KB, 2048x1350px
I'm not sure what to do
I've got a bass box put together and a few bass tippits (one 6 foot 0x with sinking line and one 10 foot 0x for floating line) tied up but I've also got a carp tippit (14 foot 2x) and a carp box put together

Should I try bass at the lake right down the street that is heavily fished, bass at a lake a little farther away that is also fished hard, or a reservoir with a lot of carp the farthest away?
>Pic related, my carp box with a few woolybuggers, a few Stillwater madly nymphs, 6 #12 pheasant tails, 2 #16 pheasant tails, a Prince nymph, a Fucking giant red snowcone, stoneflies, and crawdad orange carp candy
>>
>>851072
That's how everything is near me
>>
>>851084
>Stillwater madly nymphs
Mayfly nymphs*
>>
>>851086
It sucks because I know the guys who open and close the gates but they aren't allowed to do so without the go ahead from the regulatory agency even though anyone who's seen the lake knows the gates need to be closed ASAP

They preemptively opened them because of the tropical storm rolling through to prevent flooding but it ended up just barely hitting us
>>
>>851093
Yeah. I know carp love the tailwaters in the creek behind the reservoir dam but last time I was at the reservoir it was like 4 feet low so I didn't even bother. I might try going back there today and see how ducked it is but in all honesty it's probably not worth it
Should I go to the reservoir for carp or try for bass at other places?
>>
>>851097
Try for bass at other places until you know the gates are closed and then give it a bit to fill back up
>>
>>851108
No I want the gates open
I wish I could have gotten out last week, it would rain at night then be sunny the next morning every day
I should have tried to get out, that's carp weather
Where do you think I should go for bass, the overfished pond down the street or the reservoir near the dock? Both are probably low and pressured
But with the water low at the carp reservoir a lot if feeding flats are now in 2-3 feet of water and I can sight fish the carp by looking for a tail
But I'm about knee deep in mud
>>
>>851109
>>851108
Carp are just nice because they're so low pressure
Most people in the states don't go after them because they're trash fish so they bite readily if you can bounce a fly off their nose
>>
>>851112
Bass it is today it's cold this morning, too cold for shorts and waders are a pain
>>
The first lake Erie steelhead were pulled in mid August from Euclid creek, and the run is right around the corner
Time to stock up on woolybuggers, zonkers, eggs, egg sucking leeches, and nymphs
Holy Christ I'm unprepared
But the hype though
I spent the summer fly fishing for this, I hope I'm not let down
THE HYPE
>>
>>851112
>they're trash fish
interesting i think so too but everyone in my country is eating them like there is no tomorrow.
it's "the fish" basically.
>>
>>851139
If they're living around rocky and grassy bottom I hear they can taste pretty good. They tear up the bottom here and turn it into pure silt so the carp smell (and I imagine taste) like silt and rotting plant matter.
Great fun to catch the bigger ones though, a bolt rig with bread or a bit of salami or cabana can get you some decent fish in high pressure fishing areas.

A knotless rig with a bolt and either size 4 j hooks or size 1 circle hooks should stand you in good stead and you wont have to strike to set the hook as long as they're proper chemically sharp hooks.
>>
>>851150
>taste like silt and rotting plant matter

I thought this is what all freshwater fish taste like, I can't remember a time I've cleaned/eaten a freshwater fish that didn't taste or smell like mud.
>>
>>851161
With some exceptions, most freshwater fish taste like pure trash.
>>
>>851178
>some exceptions

trout, perch, bream, catfish, crappie, pickerel all taste good.
>>
>>851072
almost every Army Corps dam has to be surveyed in the fall. This usually means a 4ft drawdown over a few weeks.
>>
>>851178
bass and zander are okay imo i don't eat the others.
>>
File: 20160904_102806.jpg (908KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_102806.jpg
908KB, 2048x1350px
Well I just got home and only managed two fish and lost my black popper after a third fish wrapped me in some Lilly pads
1/2
>>
>>851191
>zander
Eurocuck detected
>>
File: 20160904_070525.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_070525.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>851198
>>
>>851200
>>851199
Dub dubs
I win
>>
wanted to go to beach this weekend, but dont want to deal with holiday trafic, want to go next weekend but have to do a side job, Maybe i can make one day next weekend a designated beach day
>>
>>851201
Take this small victory and run with it since you seem to fuck everything else up.

>>851203
Damn, I forgot about the holiday. I wanted to go to the beach later today.
>>
>>851211
my hour and a half drive wll probably be double that plus tons of people at the beach and at the breachways etc i think next saturday il spend all day at the beach
>>
>>851211

Lel Skid BTFO
>>
Fishing is immoral, torture for your own amusement... Fucking pathetic!
>>
File: 618CSZE17dL.jpg (66KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
618CSZE17dL.jpg
66KB, 356x500px
>>851250
>implying

I receive the enjoyment of fishing exclusively through pic related.
>>
File: 20160823212232_1.jpg (291KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
20160823212232_1.jpg
291KB, 1440x900px
>>851254
>>851250

>there are people who actually fish outside in these threads

lmao what?
>>
>>851254
>>851264
Tbh that's all I'd play if I had a wii.
>>
>>851250
I eat what I fish or shoot. Also, your image doesn't make proper logic. I'm going to assume this is bait, in the fishing thread of all places.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>851254
Damn, that game looks sweet.

I had some random PC fishing game years and years ago and that thing was cool. Too bad I don't into vidya anymore.

This weekend was a disappointment. I really want to get out fishing more. Didn't go out Friday, planned to wake up early on Saturday but passd back out. Went out last night but then had to go do some shit after like 20min. And this afternoon/evening I have shit to do until like 7:30 so I can try to get out but it will be getting dark as soon as I get home. Plus I have to work tomorrow so can't stay out too late.

>>851264
>dat Agila Long
>>
New video up. Finally getting a feel for this place. I've found a few good spots already.

https://youtu.be/SVXZcdDYAno
>>
File: skunked.png (142KB, 1089x514px) Image search: [Google]
skunked.png
142KB, 1089x514px
Sup anon, SF salt newfag here, I got skunked hard yesterday, but it was a lot of fun. I saw seals, they are cute as shit.

What do you think I did wrong? Pic related, I fished those spots. I was mostly using the Daiwa SP Salt Pro Minnow and the Spro Bucktail Jig with a Berkley Gulp Grub tail. The Grub was too big, so I cut some of the top part with my knife off. I used 15lb braid.

I also had some problems with the braid, it would get a knot in the line from time to time. I have no idea why.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I plan on going next week.
>>
>>851278
>https://youtu.be/SVXZcdDYAno
This video is private :(
>>
>>851281
>I also had some problems with the braid, it would get a knot in the line from time to time. I have no idea why.

Like when you were casting? You might have spooled too much line on there.
>>
>>851278
what's all this then
>>
File: fish.png (649KB, 1920x3000px) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
649KB, 1920x3000px
>>851150
While diet does change the flavor and odor of animal and fish meat, carp meat flavor and odor doesn't change that noticeably. If the fish is sick, that is an entirely different matter.

However, in the USA there is a massive stigma against carp in all respects.

>>851178
The only fish that I can't eat due to odor are baitfish like creek chubs and shiners. They stink way too "fishy".

>>851254
>>851264
>>851271
I play on a Minecraft server (of all games) that has a plugin called "Interesting Fish". All it does is rename fish you catch to whatever species/name the admin gives them in a big config file list. The fish item has the name, date, time, weight, and angler's name on it. While this seems pretty passe, there happens to be something like 300 real world species the admin of the server put into the config file. It has everything from wee tiny minnow species to giant sharks and sturgeons. They are weighted in the config so that some are rarer than others. It is basically nothing, but rather addictive for some reason. Though, it can be annoying catching another sunfish or shiner for the 10th time.
>>
>>851275
>>851254
>>851264
>>851271
>>851286
Check out "Fishing Planet" on Steam for the PC. Youtube some vids and skip around them.
>>
>>851281
>Knot in braid
That's a wind knot, you get them using braid on a spinning reel. I don't know how to prevent them, if another anon has any info on that, that would be cool because they're fucking annoying.

The bucktail jig and gulp grub sounds perfect for that area. You're probably doing everything right, the halibut are just really spread out. I've caught a grand total of two and both were undersize. Stick to it and you'll get something.
>>
>>851289
I uninstalled that fucking game when I fought a Bowfin for 10 fucking minutes then it eventually took all 250ft of my line and broke my reel. Fuck that game.
>>
>>851291
Thanks! I'm glad I did everything right, I'll definitely stick with it.

Do you cut the line just below the wind knot, or keep it in there? I feel like they substantially weaken the line.
>>
>>851282
Wow, thanks for catching that. it should work now.
>>
>>851292
How do you know it was a Bowfin?
>>
>>851291
I have never had that problem in years of using braid. I don't understand what you guys are doing.
>>
>>851296
Catfish Heaven map, early morning, #2/0 hook with cutbait and cast far away (you cast close for catfish). Catfish don't fight like that. It could have been a baby gar but I think that'd break the reel much faster.
>>
>>851297
What lures are you using? I had it happen constantly on 3/4 oz spoon, so much so that I had to stop using it altogether. It happened twice on the Spro bucktail and once on the minnow.
>>
>>851293
>>851291
funny you bring up wind knots considering yesterday it happend to me for the first time and it happend 3 times. shit was annoying as fuck. had to cut 10-20 feet of line each time and retie.
>>
Bought 3 chatterbaits on Friday. Lost 2 of them so far. Fucking hell man. I get hung up everywhere.
>>
>>851301
Everything. On braid from 6lb to 40lb, PowerPro and SpiderWire. Spinning reels and baitcasters. Never had that issue.

>>851310
That sucks considering they have the hook turned upwards anyway.
>>
>>851311
Both of them where on rocks. I guess you're not supposed to let them hit the bottom.
>>
>>851319
There are parts of the river I fish where you can't let ANYTHING touch the bottom or you're fucked. In some areas, it is more sandy and you can get away with it, just have to learn which is which.
>>
Why do people recommend blue jigs? I ain't never seen a blue crayfish
>>
File: image.jpg (192KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
192KB, 640x480px
>>851337
Git rekt fggt
>>
>>851337
I've never seen a firetiger fish or a pink fish either. Sometimes a certain color or pattern will attract fish more than a natural look.
>>
>>851337
There are actually a handful of dark blue/purple crayfish. Plus a lot of predator fish seem to respond to movement and contrasting colors rather than an ultra realistic bait. The dark blues, purples, and blacks really stand out agains brown and green mud and vegetation.
>>
File: KIMG0050.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0050.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Caught this for.Pepsi wanted to see how I weigh in compared to him
>>
>>851300
So you really have no clue and rage quit like a 5yo when his baby blue spincast won't cast.
>>
>>851344
>>851340
>>851337
>>851338
I think it has a lot to do with why those colors don't appear often in nature since they get eaten really fast when they do appear. Theoretically, you can use that to your advantage. What colors are most rare in nature? Use those as bait.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>851349
Noice
>>
>>851353
CAREFUL! That's a snek and they bite!
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>851363
Not for long
>>
>>851289

>people unironically go fishing outside when they can spend hours grinding unique/trophy redear sunfish

laugh every time
>>
>>851286
server IP?
>>
At beach for a few days.

Thinkinga bout doing some lazy fishing at bay for small saltwater fish jersey shore.

Local fishing store guy recommended me buy a cheap rod rather than rent for 15 dollars. Problem is the one he recommended to me was a fresh water rod. (daiwa d shock for 27 bucks)

Should I buy one? Or should I just go to local wamart near vacation area and buy a ugly stik combo or some saltwater combo to fish with for 30 bucks? He did say he would throw in line if I bought el cheapo.
>>
>>851411
Sorry, I'd never give out stuff like that, 1 because advertising and 2 because I don't want 4chan in other places I visit.
>>
>>851423
Using freshwater poles in saltwater doesn't really matter so long as you rinse the reel off (which you should do with saltwater reels) when you're done and don't dip it into the water.
>>
>>851429
Hmm should i spend the extra 12 bucks on an ugly stik? I figure after I use it a few times I could atelast wash it off and have a backup rod for freshwater fishing. Where as with the daiwa id pretty much have a elcheapo unreusable rod.

How about shakespeare catchmore combos are they any good or would an uglystik be better? They do make saltwater ones.

http://www.basspro.com/Shakespeare-Catch-More-Fish-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Combo-for-Surf/Pier/product/10227252/
>>
>>851433
I've had some pretty good cheap daiwa reals that are still kicking even after all the blue cats I've put them through he'll I bought the samurai 20$ combos like three or four years ago and they still catch midrange blues without breaking
>>
>>851433
shakespeare combos are decent for the money but a good ugly stik would do you good for a long time although be much more expensive.
>>
>>851433
>Shakespeare
Pls no.

Didn't even read the other posts, but those Catch More combos are ok for the $35 or whatever they cost. Ugly Stik GX2 combos are fine for $50 because you get a $40 rod but there is a reason the reel only adds $10. Plus if you are fishing lures or doing anything that requires some finesse, Ugly Stiks suck. They are fine for casting bobbers and heavy catfish rigs but the action is sooooo slow that they are shitty for lures most of the time.

If you are willing to spend $50 on the Ugly Stik combo, surely you can spare the extra $20 and get a combo with a reel that you won't want to replace in a month and a rod with halfway decent action. Even for $50 (the price of the Ugly Stik GX2 combo) you could probably get a much nicer Bass Pro or Cabela's brand setup. Plus those store brand combos go on sale a lot and with the end of summer coming you may be able to get a good deal.
>>
>>851438
you realize ugly sticks are made by shakespeare right?
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 640x1136px
>>851433
Kinda read that one a little more.

The Daiwa might be fine. It's not a shitty brand or anything. Was that a rod and reel for $27? That's really cheap so don't expect much. If you are just going to be tossing bait, it might be fine. If you think you will use it more often, drop a bit more money.

Do you think you will use the thing when upu get home? Because maybe you could get away with buying a decent MH spinning combo for $75-$100 and actually use it for heavier bass, catfish, or carp when you get back to freshwater. Something like a Pflueger President 6935, I think Bass Pro has them on a MH rod for $80 or $90. Or even something slightly larger. I know Walmart sells the Abu Garcia Cardinal SX combos, maybe they have something MH with a ~40 size reel. Those combos run around $75 and you could happily use that one for freshwater and saltwater shore fishing for years to come.

Hard to say what that Daiwa is like. For that low price, it is basically disposable. But I think the "Catch More" combo will be like that too. If you drop $50 on the Ugly Stik GX2 MH 7' combo, at least you will have a catfish rod and could upgrade the reel eventually.

>tl;dr:
If you spend <$40, it will basically be disposable and don't even bother bringing it home. If you get the MH Ugly Stik GX2, at least you have a catfish rod once you buy a better reel. Or spend some money on a nicer MH combo you will actually want to use in the future.
>>
>>851442
Kek, I made that comment on a real similar post a few months ago.

There's so much fucked up with every part of that sentence.
>>
Okay im so confused. I'm trying to lob my swim bait as far as possible. Using 12lb triline on a 7 foot rod medium action. Im only getting maybe 30 yards from my cast. Should I switch line to something else to get a better cast? Maybe fill up my spool more? (sometimes if its too full line starts jumping off on its own.)
>>
>>851448
The gx2 combo ugly stik is 39 at Walmart.
>>
>>851452
I-I dont get it..

I just looked up who owns the Shakespeare brand and its Pure Fishing. they also own Abu Garcia, All Star, Berkley, Chub, Fenwick, Greys,Hardy, Hodgman, Johnson, JRC, Mitchell, PENN, Pflueger, Sebile, Spiderwire, and Stren

>>851458
baitcaster
>>
>>851458
>he needs a memecaster
How heavy is the swimbait? 12lb mono is on the upper end for what I like to run on spinning reels, especially considering it gets stiff when you get to heavier mono and will loop off the reel easily once you get it just a tiny bit too full. Flouro is a bitch like that too.

But filling up the spool all the way definitely helps if you are low on line. Rule of thumb is to fill it up until you have ~1/8" left on the spool. And then you can do the hot water trick to help keep the line from jumping off the spool and making a mess.

It's a medium weight combo? What size reel? And where and what are you normally fishing for?

If I'm just going for bass or walleye on a spinning combo with mono, 10lb is the heaviest I like to run and even that is hard to cast the occaisional 1/8oz lure for crappie. 8lb mono is nice if you have one main rod you like to use for everything from bluegill to big bass to the occaisional channel cat or even carp. 6lb is great for panfish and bass if you aren't hooking a bunch of 5lb+ fish and it's mostly panfish and <2lb bass with some 3lb fish. 12lb mono I would normally run on the MH combo I use for catfish and carp.
>>
>>851461
Yeah Pure Fishing owns a ton of shit. Shimano owns a bunch of stuff as well, and I believe the company that owns Rapala has a ton of other shit. There's only a handful of companies that make or distribute 95% of fishing stuff in any given tackle box.

That being said, a lot of those companies are still somewhat independent and do their own design and stuff. The big company owning them just makes manufacturing and distroeasier.

>>851459
For certain sizes, that's straight. The reels are still shit but I guess if you can get the combo for the price of the rod alone and get a throwaway reel for free, go for it. I hate Walmart.

Once you break $60 though, the reels will be much nicer and you can find a rod with some action. I thought Ugly Stiks were decent rods for a long time until I started trying different stuff in the same price range. Like I said, for just hucking bait out there they are fine. But they are pretty terrible for most lures and any finesse fishing.
>>
Tried out a new plastic today

"Smallie beaver" from Reaction Innovations

Rigged it up on a 1/8 slider head and had a massive bass on like my 5th cast but I lost him

Frustrating
>>
>>851463
What is a good brand for 10lb mono, i got some cheap walmart stuff that can have like 50 yards spooled on my reel and it wants to jump ship. Idk where I put it tho its blue for the name. And I normally go for bass, my normal size bass is like 4lb that I catch regularly. But the issue is (not with swim baits tho) i normally have to cast over 10 feet of weeds/lillys/small freakin trees so I get stuck more often then I like because just the area. The swim bait idk how much the weight but its a 3 in a half inch shad.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>851470
I have some Havoc crawdads thay have a ribbed body and kinda look like those beaver ones you posted. They look like great baits but I have never gotten a hit on them which is strange. Kinda a natural brown with sparkles and normally darker stuff works better for me so that could be part of it.

Which reminds me I have some Culprit crawdads in a real similar natural 2-tone brown color and those have never gotten shit for me, but the same exact bait in "Bama Bug" which is a dark blue has worked really, really well.
>>
>>851474
Trilene was always my go-to for mono. Suffix is good too, Stren is fine but I prefer Trilene over it. 8lb mono will give you so much more casting distance if you can afford to lose the strength. There is also the warm water technique where after you fill up the reel with line, you run hot water over it and it helps the line to form to the reel and will keep it from wanting to jump off.

If the weeds are bad, you are getting big bass, but you still want to cast far, you could always go with some braid. 20lb PowerPro will cast much further than 12lb mono and will be almost twice as strong yet allow the reel to hold way more line. If you do go with braid, make sure you spool it properly. I think the Pastebin had a little deal I typed up about switchig to braid and spooling it up for the first time.
>>
>>851466
I have an abu garcia vengence combo at home already I use for freshwater fishing.

I am pretty new to fishing tho. I just wanted to catch a couple pufferfish or something or a bluefish for fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (245KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245KB, 640x1136px
Only thing I caught today
>>
>>851474
And btw, never cheap out on line. That is the last thing you want to try and save money on. A spool of good mono is only like $6 (I think, haven't bought mono in years). And with mono, you want to change the line at least once a season. If you fish a lot, more often since the sun and getting wet and drying out will make it brittle within a few months. Don't store the rods in sunlight either since UV rays will kill the line.

It is the one thing between you and the fish and spending $10 more a year replacing mono line every few months with good line will mean a lot less fish lost.

>>851477
If you can find the 7' MH Ugly Stik combo for $40 ar Walmart, just grab it. Spool it with some 12lb or 14lb line. At least then you will have a catfish and carp rod or even throw a bobber and a couple split shots on it if you bring somebody along. And if you do end up using it more in the future as a heavier setup, drop $30-$40 on a new reel like a Pflueger Trion, Okuma Stratus V, or Shimano Sienna so at least you have something not made of plastic.

>>851478
That guy looks pretty nice. Is that a chatterbait? I still haven't had shit hit mine except for one snek bite. Maybe I need to give up on the chartruese one. I have a blue/black one and a gold one that I haven't tried yet.
>>
>>851483
Looks like your standard plastic tube bait

I love the Zoom tubes in junebug myself
>>
>>851483
yeah I don't really buy cheap mono, I just buy mono that doesn't cost no 14 dollars. lol

okay a guy a couple days ago, pulled up this like 6 lb bass, with a drop shot rig, so anyone wanna give me the quick and dirty on drop shot rigs?

I understand bass are predator fish, and that they often swim along the bottom of the water, so drop shots make sorta sense. but like lets say I wanted to use a worm, how would I keep the worm floating in a horizontal manner? on a lake/pond?
>>
>>851488
Use a senko worm
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 794x502px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 794x502px
>>851488
Doing a worm, you can rig it like pic related through the nose or right in the center like a wacky rig. Use circle hooks or octopus hooks, otherwise Gamakatsu and Bass Pro store brand both sell "Drop Shot Hooks". They sell special weights too specifically for drop shots but regular bell weights work fine.

The drop shots are cool because you can let the weight hit the bottom, you can twitch the rod tip a tiny bit and it will make the bait wiggle around and look really lifelike.

I have almost the same luck with Texas rigs but I can see why people like drop shots in certain situations.
>>
>>851497
I normally Texas rig, but this old guy told me I put in to much effort for him, referencing to my casting, reeling in, casting, reeling in. lol

hmmm, what if instead of the palomar knot like in the OP here, if I took a spare set of line and tied it onto a split ring? to dangle it away from the main line, or will this not hold up the bait horizontal?

also, fuck those little bullshit red/white plastic bobbers, I swear to god, ive never used one that didn't half ass sink and fill up with water.
>>
>>851497
>pic
>The hook tied directly to the line.

It should have a bit of a leader coming off. Otherwise, the fish mouth will hit the main line and can bounce the lure away from it. Circle hooks should use snell knots for best pull angle for the hook to work.
>>
>>851514
you can do it either way. I normally tie it exactly like that pic and it works great. Ill add a leader if im targeting smaller panfish
>>
>>851483
>Is that a chatterbait?
Nah >>851485 has it right. It's a powerbait tube that I picked up today for shits and gigs. I didn't catch shit on my chatterbait today. I really liked the chartreuse one. I'm surprised you havent caught anything with it.

I also bought some actual senkos because that's what academy had in chartreuse. Gonna try those in the pond at work tomorrow most likely.
>>
>>851514

That's not a circle hook and noone rigs drops shots in the retarded way that you are saying.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 728x814px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 728x814px
>>851514
They actually work pretty well when done like that pic as long as you tie the hook right. That's how you tie a drop-shot rig and not some other setup. The fish will go right for the big bait anyway. Only issue I have with them is that I wasn't setting the hook hard enough. I was running them with a 1/4oz bell weight and something about having the hook between the weight and rod messed with it so even with braid and a fast rod I had to make sure I was setting it hard enough.

Tie one up like the pic. Having the hook tied directly to the line actually works well when giving it little twitches that aren't hard enough to move the weight. It makes for a good, slow finesse setup when the fish are being really picky. And that way you don't have to worry about the rig getting all tangled.
>>
>>851519
>>851530
>>851548
Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>851568
thats great but I dont catfish
>>
>>851574

Don't even bother, note the "kid'. Obviously the same braindead memecaster troll.
>>
File: 59.jpg (144KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
59.jpg
144KB, 480x720px
>>851574
>dropper loop

not that guy but.. dropper loop fishing is used for a lot other fishing applications. yellowtail-kingfish when holding deep are suckers for a mackerel on a dropper loop. 6-10oz torpedo will get your bait down fast enough to avoid the rats. Tuna fishing this year the dropper loop was my savior. all the people around me were either yoyoing jigs or bouncing flat falls but no one was getting bit. Live mac on a dropper loop got me JP fish ($600)
I think the anon was only saying that its an effective technique..not only for "cats" but for other fish as well..if you look at it. It is similar to dropshot fishing sans jiggle jiggle..

I wouldnt write it off as a technique that has NO application to your fishery even if you dont fish cats.
>>
File: 12123.jpg (23KB, 396x329px) Image search: [Google]
12123.jpg
23KB, 396x329px
>>851514
>Circle hooks should use snell knots for best pull angle for the hook to work.
>>
File: images.png (6KB, 274x536px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
6KB, 274x536px
>>851582
None of this would have happened if they knew what paternoster rigs were.
>>
File: 1405.jpg (73KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1405.jpg
73KB, 640x640px
>>851601
>paternoster rig
>dropper knot
>>
File: vape.png (214B, 32x12px) Image search: [Google]
vape.png
214B, 32x12px
>>851568
>>851601
how do you stop this stuff from wrapping all up in itself when you cast it?
>>
>>851475
Those ribbed bodies are pretty good cause they create a lot of extra vibrations in the water

I want to try out their California 420 color cause it looks like a bluegill whereas the Big Texan color that I used earlier looks like a crawdad
>>
>>851599
>tfw accessorizing

>>851623
I was curious about this too. Seems like you would have to use some stiff flouro or some shit but even then it could become a mess.

>>851568
Retarded.

Also remember that you aren't using 4oz weights on drop shots, they are normally fairly light because it is a finesse technique. The line is not going to stop the bass from grabbing that bait. People have been tying drop-shots like that for years and it obviously works.
>>
>>851641
He's right if you're drop shotting for cats because the way they seize their prey is different from how bass do it

Bass open their mouths causing a vacuum that sucks in anything within a few inches but cats have to physically grab their prey because of their different mouths

Bass will often get weeds or pebbles in their mouth as a result of this but they just spit that all out allowing for the prey to get raked into their gullet
>>
File: muh science of fishings.jpg (68KB, 450x392px) Image search: [Google]
muh science of fishings.jpg
68KB, 450x392px
>>851337
almost everyone replying to you is wrong

deep down in the water where there is little light penetration, blue is one of the last colors in the light spectrum to disappear, it will get their attention easier.

If you cast a red one down there chances are they wont even see it because red is one of the 1st colors to disappear so you want something that they can even see and get a silhouette from
>>
You're missing your window of opportunity Pepsi, snook will be gone soon.
>>
File: ICAST_2014_23.jpg (104KB, 990x550px) Image search: [Google]
ICAST_2014_23.jpg
104KB, 990x550px
>>851600
>>851582
>People who know nothing about fishing: example posts
>>
>>851655
Damn Mr. Rocket Surgeon, that's cool to know. I still do well with blacks and blued in shallow water with sun, especially in weed beds because it contrasts so much against the green background.

>>851682
I wasn't even able to get out for shit this weekend with all this house hunting BS.
>>
>>851713
Not him but I thought this was common knowledge
Though to my understanding green penetrates a bit less and purple a good bit more than depicted in his picture
>>
>>851582
The use of "kid" was so rampant on /diy/ at one time that it was word filtered into "talented /diy/er" for like a year or so. Evidently, diy hobbies attract a lot of really old people.
>>
File: lolwut.png (132KB, 989x964px) Image search: [Google]
lolwut.png
132KB, 989x964px
>>851731
>kid
>>>/tv/74015127
>>
>>851599
Dropper loop is good for bait because the fish doesn't feel the line, drop shot (directly on line) is for lures because you can impart action to the lure better.
>>
File: 1.jpg (33KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
33KB, 720x540px
>>851747
people use dropper loops with jigs and flies all the time. very common when rockfishing, its a called a gangion and people drop shot bait all the time. the fish not feeling the line doesnt matter. these arent finicky little fw fish
>>
Old reel died, need a decent one for surfcasting, budget is 50€.

Suggestions?
>>
File: shopping.jpg (13KB, 362x310px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
13KB, 362x310px
>>851790
penn battle
pack it with grease prior to fishing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Remind me again why the fellow bass angles in this thread don't own one of the finest all around memecasters ever to be released?
>>
>>851795
Why do you need a memecaster for bass?
>>
>>851800
Significantly better casting for one. A must for frogging or punching. Easier to fish finesse baits do to the ability to palm the reel and improve the presentation of the bait. Less looping in your line
>>
>>851795
>spending this much money on a lazy fish that practically lets you reel it in
bass fishing is a meme itself.
>>
>>851804
Sounds like a lot of bullshit to me. I've never once seen a memecast out cast a spinning reel. Also, presenting the bait is easy on everything.

Was this your first reel or have you been watching too many "pro" fishing shows?
>>
>>851810
>Was this your first reel

fuck no. started with a spin cast when I was 6 and then had nothing but spinning reels until 2 years ago. I have 8 spinning reels and 3 baitcasters. Im not sure what the fuck you are smoking if you think a baitcaster cant outcast a spinning reel. I can flick my wrist with that curado and out cast any of my spinning reels which range in size from 4000 down to 10.
>>
>>851813
>memecast outcasting a spinning reel

You know that trolling out your line on a boat isn't "casting" right? lol
>>
File: 1459040373908.jpg (8KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1459040373908.jpg
8KB, 200x200px
>>851814
you literally cant be serious.
>>
>>851794
Looks good but it doesn't fit my budget.

I'm on EU if that helps.
>>
>>851655
Mother fucker ain't none of us casting 50m deep
>>
File: 1452545470763.jpg (18KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
1452545470763.jpg
18KB, 499x499px
>>851819
kek'd
>>
>>851819
Heh I just noticed that.

>>851814
>>851810
I hate this website. So hard to tell if trolling or just stupid. Spinning reels are great and all but I'm down with the memecasters. With 30lb braid, a spinning reel isn't going to send a 1/3oz lure anywhere near where the baitcaster will put it.
>>
>>851832
Back in school we used to have casting contests. Spinning reels always won.
>>
>>851838
What, with 2lb line? Of course it will cast better than a baitcaster with 40lb braid.
>>
Had a good weekend surf fishing. Got a ladyfish, blue fish, jack, and a mackerel. The lady was the largest of the fish and put up a really good fight. I used a memecasting rod that maxes at 4oz lures, the lady bent that rod like bass bend my ultra light.

You should try some salt Pepsi.
>>
>>851623
>>851641
I've thought about a coffee stirrer tube before, but it would be tricky
You'd have to split it lengthwise and then tape it back with electrical tape so that it's low vis, not that catfish are tackle-shy
>>
>>851869
Here's my macky
>>
>>851840
What is with the faulty logic? You know better than that.
>>
>>851623
The same way you cast without your normal lures fouling up your line? I've never had a problem with rigs.
>>
>>851817
Look to daiwa, for reels they have bang for buck nailed down
My bone stock sealine x40 spins almost as long as reels that costed 4 times as much (it's easily a 70 second reel stock, imagine if I tricked it out a little with some polishing, lubricating, and custom parts )
I got a opus 5500 for 50 USD (40 euros?) and like it
>>
>>851869
Nice ladyfish, chop her up and try to get some snook. I caught 7 sennet fish at the pier today.

>still trying to get pepsi to go saltwater fishing
You could tell him he would get 1 million dollars if he'd go saltwater fishing just once and he still wouldn't do it.
>>
>>851869
>Ladyfish
>Poorfag tarpon
10/10, fun to catch, great as bait
>>
>>851886
Don't worry skid. One day you'll become a real life furry.
>>
>>851878
>a opus
Get it together Skid
>>
>>851888
I need more sleep, 4 hours isn't enough once work is finished
>>
>>851922
skid you still got the beefstick youre looking to get rid of ? what reel and line do you have on it?
>>
>>851887
Maybe I'll get lucky and be a cat so I have an excuse to sleep 15 hours a day
>>
>>851923
I've got a brand new (un fished) beefstick 10 foot spinning and a nib opus 5500 be I (I accidentally got two instead of one but oh well) with no line
>>
>>851926
But I'm rethinking selling it and using it as a loaner insteas
>>
>>851926
weights on The rod? what would your pricepoint be?
>>
>>851930
>>851930
My price would be 72+ shipping (New from Amazon it's something like 95), and it's a 10 foot rod rated for 14-40 pound line, and weights from 1oz to 6oz
I was wrong about the reel, it's a 5k not 5500
4.6:1 gearing, 39.1 inches per handle turn, 33 lb max drag and the capacity (lb-yd) is 14-340, 17-250, 20-190
If you want I've got some suffix superior #20 high vis I could spool on there and some #50 ande clear (about 50 yards+ a shock leader pre tied on) for an extra 3 bucks
>>
>>851948
72 plus like 15-18 shipping, $90 shieet, lemme think abot it i need a rod for chucking cut bait and eels
>>
>>851950
What if I throw in the line for free and come down to 65?
>>
>>851950
>>851963
And this should be really good for heaving, it says six but I think I'd be comfortable throwing up to 8 ounces (4 oz of lead and a big eel or baitfish)
>>
>>851888
How's the poop water?
>>
File: pcb feels.jpg (306KB, 1067x826px) Image search: [Google]
pcb feels.jpg
306KB, 1067x826px
>tfw freshwater landlocked
>tfw consumption advisories due to pollutants

I want the 1980s back when it was okay to eat fish and there were no factories and now fracking wells.
>>
File: 213213.png (67KB, 1105x877px) Image search: [Google]
213213.png
67KB, 1105x877px
>>852000
>>
>>852000
>>852001
lmfao holy shit thats bad. One of the lakes near me isnt even that bad and when I was younger it was ranked the number one most polluted lake in the country. they say its safe to eat a few a year out of it now but I dont know anyone that does
>>
>>852000
>>852001
>>852003
It is like that in a lot of the larger waterways in the USA. Corporations take precedent over everything else, especially the environment. It really depresses me seeing so much destroyed.
>>
File: shit lake.png (11KB, 870x132px) Image search: [Google]
shit lake.png
11KB, 870x132px
>>852004
guess the lake I was referring too wasnt as good as I thought lmao. shits gross as fuck from all the factories pumping mercury into the lake bed. Honeywell has spent millions cleaning it the last few years. luckily I still have Onieda and Ontario which provide safe fish
>>
File: state wide unless specified.png (61KB, 1104x623px) Image search: [Google]
state wide unless specified.png
61KB, 1104x623px
Insectivores like Rainbow Trout are just about the only thing you can eat as much as you want of.

>>852005
Christ even pumpkin seed is on the list.
>>
http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/prevention/healthy-weight/nutrition/seafood-consumption/fish-advisories-page.html

http://www.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/prevention/healthy-weight/nutrition/seafood-consumption/_documents/advisory-brochure.pdf

Jesus. Fuck humanity. At least Florida seems better than most places. Probably due to how few factories there are due to the tourist trade. Flyover states are kill.
>>
>>852010
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-03-30/health/fl-mercury-fish-20120330_1_mercury-warnings-largemouth-bass-limit-consumption

>Florida has one of the worst mercury problems in the United States

Stick to the less predatory fish.
>>
File: euxfyyuty.jpg (93KB, 540x723px) Image search: [Google]
euxfyyuty.jpg
93KB, 540x723px
>>852000
Iktfb, there were also lots more fish back then too.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 251x251px
>Fuck humanity
>>
>>852011
This article is old. And also is mainly talking about places that are connected to coal power near by. Like im more afraid of eating fish from the places I catch from because every nigger here in a 50 mile radius has to fertilize and chemical blast their lawns.
>>
Anybody fish Wichita river in Texas? How do I catch catfish?
>>
>>852073
With a hook and line. Or if you're a man with more testosterone than brains you can wade in The river and stick your arm in holes and rip them out by hand hoping it's not a snapping turtle or raccoon in that hole
>>
how would you guys recommmend bass fishing a small park lake near my home?

there isnt much visible cover, the bass i have caught have always been near the waters edge

i've seen a 5+ish? bass break the water, i know not huge but currently my autism has turned this bass into my personal moby dick
>>
>>852081
Just Texas rig a 5" senko..
>>
>>852081
frog, senko (wacky or texas rigged), chatterbait, spook, buzzbait. just bring a plethora and see what they like. it shouldn't take long to figure out a pond
>>
>>851881
>chop up a freshly caught ladyfish

pants on head retarded. This is what old men and white trash rednecks do.

Use it whole and live on an acceptable size rod and you'll do a lot better with snook.
>>
>>852081
Go with natural color small plastics

Throw a Texas rigged mini lizard or a small crawdad or a trick worm
Again stick with dark greens and plain black

This is essentially a guaranteed way to put fish on the line

Once you've found where the bass like to congregate in the lake then you can start experiment with other baits
>>
>>852012
>that vietnamese

kek, pretty much a small population but they go fishing and keeping so much fish that there has to be vietnamese translation for them.

I'm vietnamese too, but I don't keep much. I only kept 1 halibut which was my only legal halibut this year. I might try corbina, WSB or surf perch if i ever find a good size though, but probably not more than once a month.

Those old asian viet people don't give a fuck though. I see them keeping bucket of croakers weekly, which is the fish highest on the health advisory. At pier, they kept bucket full of baitfish like smelt, sardine, mackerel and bonito to bring home to eat.
>>
>>852186
Sardines are good eating
>>
>>852186
Freshwater fishing sucks for eating. Most of the species are predatory and have high levels of pollution in them. There's not many that eat insects or plants that can be eaten and of those some build up contaminants more than others.

Maybe I should move to some pacific island in the middle of fucking no where.
>>
>>851819
its just a reference to clear water, adjust for murky and stained water of course
>>
>>852231
Yeah but then you have that "garbage island" that won't be much better.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>850848
>implying anyone can beat this
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Smallest fish I didn't snag by accident
>>
File: 1 4 op.jpg (88KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1 4 op.jpg
88KB, 960x960px
>>852012
i see these signs all over the LA piers.

>mfw: asians dont even read that shit.
>>
File: 32342334.jpg (2MB, 2872x2560px) Image search: [Google]
32342334.jpg
2MB, 2872x2560px
How does my reel look?

I started fishing again and got a couple of them from my father, it's like 25-30 years old.

Do you think I'm served with this?
>>
>>852295
Looks like it will be fine. Just throw some new line on and you'll be good to go
>>
>>852295
Just put fresh line on, clean it, and oil-grease the proper parts and you should be straight.
>>
>>852302
For now I just reverted the line in both, looks like 0.35-0,40 cm, pretty strong.

Oiled it and tested it last week, feels really smooth.

Also, do any of you have experience with chink lines from eBay/Alliexpress and alike?
>>
>>852306
Reverted? What?

And don't by cheap line. Just go to Walmart and grab some Trilene or Stren. Mono is cheap enough as it is, and line is the last thing you want to cheap out on. Spend $3 more on the spool of Trilene and you won't be as frustrated with fish breaking off the line or tangles and memory loops.
>>
>>852306
>>852311
Or the Yuro equivalent to Walmart.

Seriously though, good mono isn't expensive. A 300m spool should fill the reel 2-3 times and good line will be like 7€ while crap line is 4€. It won't break the bank.
>>
>>852274
Where did you get that? Looks awesome. Gotta do some LRF sometime.
>>
>>852311
The reels had like 150 m of line, so I just removed all of it using another reel, and put the line that was on the inside on the top.

I just can't find the right word to explain this, english is not my native language.
>>
>>852334
You should still replace all of it. The line gets brittle over time, although the inner line might not be as bad since it probably didn't get hit by water and UV rays as much. But the memory (little loops in the line when you cast) will be really bad. Also, if you don't fill a spinning reel close to the full capacity, you are going to lose casting distance.
>>
http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/asian-carp-found-in-lake-erie-was-fertile-mnrf-1.3050930

Fuq
>>
>>852306
yea im using ebay braid, $10 for 500 yards #40 moss green
its held up really well (im not pulling in huge fish though) and the fish dont seem to be able to see it
>>
>tfw should go fishin but kinda want to go to sleep instead
Fuck. I don't know what to do. I'm just bored of the spots right by my house and don't feel like driving far. Why can't every day be Saturday?
>>
>>852422
Hey i have an idea
There is an ocean right down the street
>>
>hot as balls 2 weeks ago
>rained and cooled down to lower 70s last week
>lake water still bathwater temps
>can't even get a nibble on a nightcrawler

I'm convinced the fish have lost their shit. We went from 95 degrees to 72 degrees in one day. The lake is 84 degrees at the surface, 72 degrees 4 feet down (was 25ish feet last week) and went from clearish to muddy in 2 days. They're hiding and not biting. Can't even get a bluegill on a wax worm in a pond here.

Come on fall weather!
>>
>>852422
Attach a bell to your rod tip and combine sleep and fishing.
>>
>>852344
Wait what, grass carp is not asian carp, they are totally different species
>>
>>852450
Nvm, I was wrong about this
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
These dark colors seem to work so well for me down here. Even when the water isn't super murky. First time trying these "Candy Bug" Trick Worms and got fish on the first 2 casts after running some other lighter colors for 10min.
>>
File: pepenotsmug.png (73KB, 454x453px) Image search: [Google]
pepenotsmug.png
73KB, 454x453px
Guys

Why doesn't pepsifag want to go saltwater fishing? Can someone explain this to me?
>>
>>852500
Read his trip
It says "fag"
That's why
>>
>>852500
Salt damages the reel
>>
>>852500
He made it into a meme, he's probably gone a bunch of times already but doesn't want to tell us
>>
what rod+reel would you guys recommend for getting into finesse fishing?

how are the cabelas/bass pro combos if i decide to go that route?

would i be able to use lures on a finesse rod?
>>
>>852507
If I can expand on this anon's question, WTF is finesse fishing? Like pitching frogs into a specific area rather than just randomly casting near cover/trees/brush?
>>
File: palomino rainbow.jpg (57KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
palomino rainbow.jpg
57KB, 500x375px
>>852510
light line, shakey heads, drop shot, spybaits, wacky rigs and such..
>>
>>852510
When I think of finesse (for bass at least) I think of shakey head jigs and stuff like that. Also drop shots and wacky rigs.

>>852505
>>852500
I have gone a handful of times, but I can't stand fishing with other people nearby and I never have much luck. Even a shitty afternoon of freshwater and I will still get some Mayans and smaller largemouth.

>>852507
Idk about the Cabela's stuff, but the Bass Pro combos are normally good for the money.

And for a finesse combo, Are you trying to get a spinning reel? I like the idea of 6'-7' M rod with some nice fast action, a 20/25/30 size reel, and 10lb or 15lb braid. 6lb or 8lb if mono. That would give good feel and castability on lighter finesse baits.
>>
>>852515
fishing next to degenerate fags takes away all of the relaxation, I understand
>>
>>852515
>I have gone a handful of times, but I can't stand fishing with other people nearby and I never have much luck.

How recent was this?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>852517
Miami anon? Sorry for ruining your fishing experience.

Also Mepps still a GOAT and chatterbates a MEME. Ran the black and blue one right at sunset today and didn't get shit. Also realized those Z-Man plastics are one of the brands that really doesn't get along with other soft plastics, so if anybody has them loose in a tackle box, keep them away from other rubbers and soft baits. I've had stuff like that destroy hollow body frogs and skirts on spinnerbaits.
>>
>>852515
>he keeps going to shitty fishing spots full of fresh off the boat immigrants

Go to the beach early in the morning and slay some snook before they're all gone.
>>
>>852529
I'll get around to it. I work too early to get there on weekdays and on weekends I like to sleep in past 4:30am.
>>
>>852530
Snook will be gone soon but you'll be able to catch bluefish from shore in October. They're super fun to catch.
>>
>>852530
Then stay up til 4:30 am
>>
>>852530
>literally one cast one fish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Z5jciACfM

From October-December it gets really fucking good. Also, no need for a surf rod like in the video. Just use your bass combo.
>>
>>852534
Why would you go fishing if you caught one every time you cast?
>>
>>852539
And you had to stand in salt water with sand in your shoes and a raw sack. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>852534
>1rod1meme
>>
>>852541
>my feet hurt
>the water is too cold
>these fish are too slimey

>>852545
Even he says they fight harder than any bass. Just watch the full video pepsifam.
>>
>>852534
>>852533
You guys are gonna love it when I move. A lot of these houses I'm looking at are literally a block from the intercoastal. One of the houses was on a canal, but they want like $3k/mo and across the street for a similar house without a dock in the backyard is only like $2250/mo so I can't really justify it.
>>
>>852545
kek, cant wait for his sisters porno to drop. little nick gets a dicki
>>
>>852546
I'm sure a lot of them do fight harder than largemouth. First largemouth I had on today was 15" or 16", and I wasn't even sure if the fucker was actually on the hook for the first half of the retrieve.

I'll get down there again one of these days. I just need to get down to the beach real early on a Saturday.
>>
>>852550
The difference is night and day. A tiny jack crevalle provides me way more enjoyment than a big bass.
>>
>>852552
I guess when you hook one fish every 3 hours, that one fish is more exciting than the 6 I got in the first 30min at the lake.
>>
>>852546

Pack it up everyone, it's official, bass aren't the hardest fighting fish in the world. I feel as though I've lived a lie.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1473207852157.jpg (296KB, 1455x1455px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1473207852157.jpg
296KB, 1455x1455px
>>852553
Please please make this the next thread image!!! Found it on facebook.
>>
>>852553
Quality over quantity. I'd much rather catch something that fights then some lazy bass. Also, if you go fishing at dawn or dusk you'll get something every 3-5 casts when using artificial.
>>
>>852556
#81 is the last one that anon made a couple months back. I will use this for #82.
>>
>>852553
Have you ever considered that you just really suck at fishing? Even on shitty frozen bait I get something within the hour.
>>
File: image.jpg (240KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
240KB, 960x960px
Time for some fresh baked bread...

>tfw 5am meeting tomorrow
Yeah I'm not waking up for that.
>>
>>852562

>he hasn't grown out of fishing with bait

I'd honestly rather go all day without catching anything if I can't trick them into eating something that isn't actually food.
>>
File: image.jpg (62KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 449x600px
Get it while it's hot
>>852565
>>
>>852523
>Miami anon
That post wasn't me peps
>>
>>852566
>trick them into eating something that isn't actually food.
That's lure fishing
Bait fishing is taking food and putting a hook in it, lure fishing is making them think a piece of plastic is food
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.