[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 72

File: image.jpg (62KB, 449x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62KB, 449x600px
#81-"1rod1meme" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>850543

Still no luck with the chatterbaits. They were hitting a darker Mepps and dark Texas-rigged stuff so I tied on the black and blue one but still no interest. Maybe one day they will actually work, but not today. Zoom Candy Bug colorway-check it out! And if you don't have at least 20 Mepps, you are doing it all wrong.

>tfw too much work and not enough fishing
The upside is fall is coming, so work should slow down and it will be getting dark earlier so I can actually fish at sunset on a weekday and still wake up in time for work. Also fuck house hunting. I need to find a house and move so I can devote all of my time not working to fishing.

Pastebin and Imgur. Thinkin about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Talk about fishin
>>
>>852566
>implying I don't do both

I was just trying to prove a point, saltwater fishing isn't as slow as the freshies here think it is. I've caught way more fish using artificials than live or frozen bait.

>Doc's goofy jig
>gotcha plug
>gulfstream flairhawk
>2 oz diamond jig or spoon
>white crappie jig

Literally all you need for pier, surf and inlet fishing.
>>
>tfw pepsi dropped trip
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>852572
For what?
>>
>>852575
Skid pls.
>>
File: 1470271127947.jpg (27KB, 298x392px) Image search: [Google]
1470271127947.jpg
27KB, 298x392px
>>852575

Cmon dude
>>
>>852578
He wishes he would turn into a furry. He would trade in his humanity to turn into a hairy beast with a tail. Let that sink in for a minute.

>there are people here that don't like 1rod1reel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_2vuQd7jOI
Why? He's entertaining.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 700x352px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 700x352px
>>852578
>>852580
And of course he posted in the old thread. At least this time it was only like 5min after people went to this thread. Look at all of the archived threads. He always posts hours later when the new one is at like 30 replies areadh.
>>
>>852580
hes the only real fishing channel out of his group left. all the other fags in his group are all about "muh vlogs and editing"
>>
>>852583
Blacktiph is pretty good.
>>
>>852584
yeah hes great too.
>>
Any Brits here, how do I find good spots for pike on the canal? Canals are narrow and shallow but people are always pulling pike out of them. Recently bought stuff to go deadbaiting, should I chuck it in anywhere and hope the pike come to it, or should I be hunting down the pike? Do pike hunt like sharks and sniff out blood? Is it best to wait for ages in one spot or move on after a little while if nothing hits like with lures?
>>
>>852580
I'm already hairy, I just need a tail. Or a new razor
>>
>>852587
Idk about pike and the canals near you, but fishing the canals around here can be a bitch. Best advice I would give is to find structure. Find a bridge or bend or where canals meet and try to fish there. Also if you aren't landing antthing within 15min, probably worth moving a bit.
>>
>>852587
All I know is that in the states fish in bends and curves near the banks, don't know if it's true across the pond
>>
File: canada4.jpg (1MB, 3264x1606px) Image search: [Google]
canada4.jpg
1MB, 3264x1606px
>>852587
not a Brit but I know this time of year you wanna be throwing fairly large baits. big swim baits or jerkbaits work well for me around deeper drop offs coming off of weed beds
>>
>>852590
Honestly I think that's why my dad and I get nothing steelheading. We didn't have waders so We would set up a spot and stay there because we couldn't find anywhere else
>>
>>852589
You definitely need the tail.
>>
File: 20160904_203538.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_203538.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Caught this guy this weekend. I'm down in Texas. Wasn't having much luck with crankbaits. Purchased a mepps #3 earlier in the day. Used that and it caught me this guy on the first cast. I'm amazed.
>>
>>852594
I'm fuzzy, stay up too late, and have dark circles around my eyes (cause I'm always up too late)
All I need now is a tail and rabies and I can go knock over the neighborhood trash cans
>>
>>852596
Pepsi turn your trip back on
>>
File: IMG_4547.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4547.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm in spotted bass heaven right now. Here's one I got on a rebel tracdown 2".
>>
File: IMG_4537.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4537.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Close up on the pattern.
>>
>>
File: 6+54541635.jpg (46KB, 645x480px) Image search: [Google]
6+54541635.jpg
46KB, 645x480px
>>852671
who says I wouldn't?
>>
File: image.jpg (253KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253KB, 800x800px
>>852580
>not wanting to turn into a hairy beast with a tail
King of plebs please go.

Is fluorocarbon a scam? I've never used it before. I've had good luck with Ande's Ghost mono leaders. It's like regular mono but they've given it a coat to reduce its reflection.
>>
>>852751
>ifag
>furry
what a surprise.
>>
>>852751

Fluorocarbon is obviously a meme, just like baitcasters and bass fishing. If you do/use any of that you are a kid and don't belong here.
>>
File: image.jpg (213KB, 525x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213KB, 525x1600px
>>852751
>>
Recommend me a good budget reel for surfcasting please.

I'm on EU so keep import and shipping in mind.
>>
File: IMG_3024-1.jpg (94KB, 454x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3024-1.jpg
94KB, 454x366px
>>852798
http://www.biminibayoutfitters.com/tsuclassicreels.htm
Just got one of these for my 12' surf rod. Handled this Spinner Shark I put my buddy on. Good value cuz it's made in China.
>>
File: 20160830_215007-1.jpg (3MB, 1985x2519px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_215007-1.jpg
3MB, 1985x2519px
>>852802
Mullet run is on. Just rehabbed a Penn 113h a buddy gave me. Replaced the drag washers and cleaned and lubed it completely. Want to be out on the beach as much as possible.
>>
>>852587
Im from ontario but in rivers here they like to chill wherever moving water meets still, like at the insides of bends and behind logs and shit
>>
File: olpo.jpg (86KB, 640x754px) Image search: [Google]
olpo.jpg
86KB, 640x754px
>>852810
you use a 4/0 for mullet?
>>
>>852829
>being this retarded
Gas yourself
>>
>>852829
Of course not you big silly. Mullet are baitfish. Their run brings loads of different predator fish with them. Large mullet go on the rod with the 4/0 and the bait gets kayaked out 300+ yards.
>>
File: she.jpg (81KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
she.jpg
81KB, 720x960px
>>852830
fuck off you little bitch it was a question. i bet you didnt even know it was a 4/0 sized reel.
>>
File: she3.jpg (57KB, 534x626px) Image search: [Google]
she3.jpg
57KB, 534x626px
>>852831
i'm well aware they are baitfish. hence the question of a 4/0 for them....do you cast net the mullet and chunk them for blues?
>>
>>852802
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fishing-Reel-Tsunami-Classic-TSC6000-/161811514971?hash=item25acb7c65b:g:d~UAAOSwT6pV5JBs

Good price?

I can't find for shit a way to buy from the link you posted.
>>
quick question. if you guys had to guess. what fish would suck dick the best? asking for a friend. my initial thought was carp but im not sure on a lot of fish species
>>
>>852849
Yes cast net. Or buy from bait shop. I have a 6ft net, so I rarely buy any unless I want the full grown ones that they always have frozen. I prefer live fingerlings sent out whole above all other ways of using them unless it's sections of large mullet for shark. During the run, redfish and tarpon return to the beach so it's not limited to just Blues. Fucking bluefish will eat anything, even cut bluefish so they tend to get to the baits before most other. IDC though cuz I cut em up and use em for sharks.
>>
>>852851
Yea, but the shipping isn't really free. I paid just about $40 for mine at Wal Mart so they are just including the shipping in the cost. Good deal for you since you live overseas.
>>
>>852857
It may appear as free for you, but it's $17.51.

Anyway, everything I find locally seems really overpriced, including Daiwa stuff.
>>
>>852853
Kek. There's a vid out there of a guy getting his dick sucked by a carp while his buddy holds the fish.
>>
>>852860
OIC. That blows. Still not a bad price after shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-Classic-Water-Spinning-Bearings/dp/B00A2NY8R6
That's closer to the right price. Should be about $40 plus shipping. The one you found wins out for people that get the free shipping.
>>
>>852867
L-link?
>>
>>852870
You google it bro. I don't need that in my search history. I saw the WEBM on here. Probably on /b/ iirc.
>>
>>852847
I own a 4/0 senator cucklet. Only a yard like you would even ask if he was going to use a big conventional reel for tiny baitfish.
>>
>>852886
*tard

Fucking autocorrect.
>>
This whole Senator vs Mullet thing reminded me of this article
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2015/08/13/mullet-fishing/
I couldn't believe somebody would actually try to catch them on rod & reel.
>>
>>852751
I think flourocarbon is more useful for abraision resistance and how fast it sinks rather than the low visibility. I haven't run into a situation yet where I wasn't getting bites with braid and then tied on a flouro leader and started getting bites all of a sudden. But bass also aren't line shy, even in really clear water.

That being said I always tie rigs with flouro just hecause I already have a couple spools.

>>852847
>>852886
Anons pls. Talk shit to Skid all you wajt, but leave eachother alone.
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 640x629px
>>852909
i found your fursona Pepsifag. Now you and skid can role play together ;)
>>
>>852909
I've caught bass with wire leader
>>
>>852911
congrats?
>>
>>852911
I would say it's about consistency. I've seen people hook up on redfish and even a 50lb. black drum with fresh off the shelf Wal Mart setups and wire leaders, but you don't see pros or guides using it. Fish can see wire and it tends to spook them. I noticed a difference when I changed from bare wire to surflon for my smaller shark leaders. The bare wire got ignored, even by bluefish, way more often than it got hit. Not a bass fisherman at all but I've watched vids and read articles and the consensus is not on wire.
>>
>>852565
Does anyone else find fishing to be super fucking boring?

I mean, what's the appeal, I can understand hunting because you get to shoot something but fishing is literally a waiting game with very minor payoff.

I tried to like it but every time I get out to the water I'm like, yep this is uninteresting.
>>
>>852565
>1rod1meme edition
Sry wot?
I know of this instameme page called 1rod1reel... what did i miss?!

also, went out on the water to test the recently repaired outboard. slapped a lure on my rod and braid, just to have something trolling behind us... no fish, but it was nice to get back out.
>>
File: smhtbh.png (2MB, 1211x685px) Image search: [Google]
smhtbh.png
2MB, 1211x685px
>>852941
ofc i forget to put the picture
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>852939
That's the best thing about it. But I think fishing with lures makes a difference. It's mindless and getting a bite once every 20-30min is just enough to keep you going.
>>
>>852945
The best thing is that it's boring? I don't understand.

Why not just sit in your room staring at a wall for 30 minutes?
>>
>>852946
Not boring, but kinda mindless. But there is also some strategy to it. It's nice to get out after a pain in the ass day at work and cast around for an hour or two with some different lures. At least with lures, you aren't just sitting and waiting.

Plus it's fun trying new spots and exploring.
>>
>>852947
So basically you have no reason to justify the appeal lol.

Tripfags gonna tripfag.
>>
>>852948
>i dont enjoy something
>nobody should enjoy it because i dont

go away with your mental illness
>>
>>852948
Or you could read what I wrote. I don't give a shit if you will never like it just because you already decided its boring. Go play paintball or something.
>>
>>852948
I get "buckfever" when I go fishing. I feel a lot of anticipation and when I put my lure exactly where I want it and I know a fish is right there I can feel my heart kick up. To me it's amazingly exciting to feel the fish take the lure and start stripping the line.

Also in my down time it's a lot of research on how to catch different fish in different bodies of water. I'm usually building rigs or tying jigs and flies. So it's a whole hobby for me.

It's not for everyone though, and for those, at least enjoy the being in nature aspect of it.
>>
>>852949
>i like to be bored for a few hours for no reason
>everyone else is mentally ill
lolwut?

>>852950
Why would I read anything a tripfag writes in depth? I skim over everything you cancerous niggers write lol. If you wanna be bored for no reason, I guess it makes sense.
>>
>>852948
A. Drink a beer and smoke a cigar. When it's a slow day it's a great time to relax and do those things. Sure you could do it at home but without a line in the water you have no chance at a fish.
B. It can be nonstop action.
C. You are in contact with the animal. Your hunting comparison leaves you with no real interaction until the animal is dead. Being tied to a large fish in a tug or war (or even a smaller fish on light tackle) is a visceral experience not found in shooting an animal.

Fishing isn't for everyone. If you aren't interested take your (((you)))s and GTFO
>>
File: ronhide.gif (562KB, 380x324px) Image search: [Google]
ronhide.gif
562KB, 380x324px
>>852948
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
>>
>>852951
Hey look someone that actually explained why they enjoy it. Good on you.

>>852953
>Drink a beer and smoke a cigar.
I don't destroy my body, thanks.

>When it's a slow day it's a great time to relax and do those things.
Stare at a wall for an hour if you need that so bad.

>Sure you could do it at home but without a line in the water you have no chance at a fish.
And it's 1000x more convenient. You can buy a fish if you need it that bad.

>It can be nonstop action
Said no one about fishing ever.

>Your hunting comparison leaves you with no real interaction until the animal is dead
And?

>Being tied to a large fish in a tug or war (or even a smaller fish on light tackle) is a visceral experience not found in shooting an animal
Sounds even more sociopathic than hunting.

>Fishing isn't for everyone.
Well, I guess it's not for people with real hobbies.
>>
>>852960
and your hobby is what? baiting people on 4chin? impressive m8. please stop shitting up the thread with you child like antics
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18KB, 500x500px
>>852960
It's ironic that you come to a fishing thread with such obvious bait. I've already humored you more than I should have. No more feeding the troll. Take your (((you)))s and leave. Good day to you sir.
>>
>>852946
Fishing is the perfect mix of relaxation (meditation almost) and super fast spikes of adrenaline where you actually get a bite. It might just not be your thing, the same way I think yoga is boring
>>
>>852914
I'm just trying to prove Pepsi's point, Bass aren't very line shy.
>>
>>852965
oh, gotcha
>>
Any S. FL bros have any luck with clown knife fish? Between the peacock bass, snakeheads, and other invasive species your canals are a veritable U.N.
>>
>>852961
Not bait tho, I prefer shooting.

>>852963
Okay buddy, whatever helps you cope with being wrong lol.

>>852964
You mean the perfect mix of boring and more boring? It's just a fish, it's not like you're having an orgasm or taking down a real animal.
>>
Can anyone give some pro tips for beach shore fishing? I recently (past 3-4 months) started going to the beach on a regular basis ( 3-4 times a month) but all I can ever seem to hook into on a regular basis is spotted trout. I have got the hang of throwing a cast net for live bait but still working on spotting bait in not so prime conditions. I prefer artificial just because it seems more of a challenge/accomplishment and have had my best luck on spoons. Until recently the only snook I have ever caught were in fresh water and now that I have started doing salt I am catching them almost daily in a cast net but cannot get them to hit my live bait or artificial. Any pointers would be appreciated. Once this black friday rolls around I plan on picking a nice fishing kayak but still debating brands.
>>
>>852980
SW Florida region for anyone wondering.
>>
>>852980
Well.. I just started too, but I've been going out into the surf with a heavy 7' rod with #20 braid and a 50lb mono leader. I use a 6 turn surgeons knot to connect them together (I was using a swivel but the blues liked it too much)
I use a pretty basic jig.. Basically a large painted metal head with bucktail backing in white.

I only have luck in the morning, anything past 8 or 9 is a bust. But I've caught bluefish, lady fish, jacks and spanish mackerel doing this. I'm on the east coast of Florida though so YMMV.
>>
>>852606
Yep thats a bluegill hybrid all right
>>
>>852980
Been doing it for a while now since my wife loves going to the beach and I needed something to do. I have an 8' and 9' strung with 30 and 50lb braid respectively and I use pompano and whiting rigs. Those are mostly for shark bait but will catch a bit of everything. I have a 12' heavy rod that I have strung with 65lb braid and shark leaders for terminal tackle. Someone mentioned blacktiph earlier and I use veriations of his shark leaders. I use 100lb surflon instead of bare wire. I take a regular 7' rod with 15lb braid that I throw lures with. Lots of gear but my fishing cart helps haul it all out. Brevard county here.
>>
>>853008
6oz and 8oz pyramid sinkers are my most used weights to hold everything in place. I'll go as low as 4oz on calm days with my pomp/whiting rigs but the shark rigs always get bait + 8. I have some sputniks but use them sparingly because fuck I hate losing them.
>>
File: IMG_1578.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1578.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
went out on the boat today. this was my 3rd trip. only caught a couple perch, gobbies, and a few small lmb. whats the scoop on early fall bass'n? I threw a lip less crank, texas rigged senko, wacky rigged senko, texas rig. not a single small mouth or decent lmb. Im starting to think that with out a depth finder im screwed. I mean I could keep guessing and after a few years start to memorize the layout of the lake but like I said it will take me a few years to memorize a 80 square mile lake
>>
>>853008
Brevard here too. Do you go to Playalinda? I've been hitting up the Eddy Creek pier access lately on the weekends. If you go there I may have seen you since I've only seen one person with a cart.
>>
>>852985
>50# leader
>stopped using swivels because of the blues

Most tackle shops sell flat black swivels which will stop the blues from hitting them. 50# is way too much unless you're fishing near a ton of structure. Try 15-30# and you'll get more hits.
>>
>>853012
Always at #10. Every Sunday for months. I've been staying out of the river since the fish kill. It's not one of the badass carts. It's a yellow beach cart we got from Target a couple years ago. It's been a trooper though.
>>
>>853014
I'm with this guy. I use 20lb flouro when throwing lures.
>>
File: IMG_4564.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4564.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Cooked this rainbow trout I got yesterday on a natural wood fire with salt and pepper. Tasted so good. Anybody eaten their catch recently?
>>
>>853028
10/10 would eat.

The weather here is fucked. Nothing's biting.
>>
>>853028
nothing other then my weekly perch dinner. walleye bite should start up with the approaching fall weather
>>
>>853014
Thanks for the tip
>>
>tfw haven't been skunked this year

It's nice being able to try new techniques without stress after catching a few easy fish.
>>
File: urkel.jpg (70KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
urkel.jpg
70KB, 720x960px
>>852886
wow you own a senator...wow..lol

>>852905
theyre actually fun to catch on 6wt flyrod.
I got a bunch of ladyfish trying for them also.

>>852849
good to know thanks, good luck gettin some.
>>
>>852985
>>853008
Thanks for the info guys.
>>
>>853016
Well shit, that's cool. I'll give you a wave if I see you, but I won't bother you. I generally wear a giant straw hat unless I'm in the surf.
>>
>>853034
You want the sea striker billfisher swivels, not the glossy black ones. These are a really dull black color that blues won't hit. I've been using them during bluefish feeding frenzies and I never got one barrel swivel bit off unlike the other guys using regular swivels.
>>
>>853062
I'll keep an eye out for ya
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 640x1136px
I got this in my LTB. I'm pretty pumped to give it a try.
>>
>>852971
Damn, where are those things at? That would be cool to catch.

>>852952
>if you wanna be bored for no reason, I guess it makes sense
Now you understand.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 600x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 600x275px
>>853105
That's pretty cool. I would love to run that for sneks but I have a feeling they would just grab the blade half the time since they don't inhale baits like bass.

Reminds me of pic related, these Bass Pro Tailspins. Every time I see them, I want to try a couple but they are cheap little flat things. I would be better off buying some of their XPS cranks, some swivels, and some willow blades and make one myself.
>>
File: image_.jpg (555KB, 1008x1292px) Image search: [Google]
image_.jpg
555KB, 1008x1292px
>>852939
I find it to be quite a workout and very fast paced at times.
>>
I'm fishing a large lake that I'm staying on tomorrow morning and I've never fished deep water like this before (50~ft). Today off the shore I caught a nice chain pickerel on an inline spinner, but I know there are large bass and lake trout at the bottom near the middle. Fishing bass deep is easy enough, but if I'm lure fishing for trout I usually use some kind of spinner. How do I rip that to fish deep? Also, can I use a palomar knot to put a regular baitholder hook with a sinker 2 feet below it, then just load it up with powerbait? I have no idea if they'll hit that.
>>
I'm running low on 6lb line on a spool that holds about 110 yards. Do I have to replace everything, or can I extend the line, sort of like braid is connected to mono initially?
>>
>>853128
This.

Catching snook, kingfish and other larger saltwater fish is a whole different game than bass fishing at the local pond.
>>
>>853133
You can always tie a Uni-Uni knot or something, but then you have to cast through the knot and that isn't the best.

If I have 80yds on a reel, and want to add another 30yds, I will take the 80yds off, but the new line on the reel first, then tie the old 80yds to that and spool it back up. That way there's a very low chance I will ever even get to that knot.
>>
>>853133
You can extend it with the right knot....but first, how old is it?
>>
>>853140
>>853141
Thanks folks. The line is very new, but I was dumb enough not to put enough on the spool in the first place, and then lost multiple feet due to snags. I'll do the switcharoo thing with the new line, it sounds great.
>>
File: outCapture.jpg (113KB, 951x534px) Image search: [Google]
outCapture.jpg
113KB, 951x534px
>>853129
vertical jig for them. like one does when salmon are deep.

down riggers work well for trolling flashers and spinners.

drop shot a night crawler
>>
Do tides matter on the salt?

http://ca.usharbors.com/monthly-tides/California-San%20Francisco%20Bay/San%20Francisco

Is it better to go fishing between low and high tide?
>>
>>853127
If this works good I might make one from a red eye shad. It'll either be awesome or super shitty.
>>
can someone give me the skinny on medium-heavy, medium-light-, medium-fast, ect

which action would be most appropriate if id like to use a dropshot and texas rig?
>>
>>853162
That's what I was thinking. Grab some of those $3 Bass Pro lipless cranks, and I know they sell the blades, swivels, and split rings there. Could probably make those for <$10.

Dick's sells a lot of LunkerHunt stuff though. I will have to keep an eye out. Maybe they will pop up on sale.
>>
File: cft.jpg (676KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
cft.jpg
676KB, 720x576px
>>853127
I've got a swimbait that I attached a snap on beetle spinner thingy to. I have yet to catch anything on said lure with or without the spinner hough.
>>
>>853163
Go to the store and play around with the rods. A medium weight fast action rod from Fenwick and a medium weight fast action rod from St. Croix can feel so much different. Action doesn't have much to do with the weight of lures and fish you can have on the rod, it is more of how stiff the tip is.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 411x216px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 411x216px
>>853164
These are only $7 so they aren't too terribly priced

>>853163
I like a faster tip for those techniques.

And pic related incase you were asking what the different actions were like
>>
>>853170
>Ugly Stik "Fast"
>Moderate-Slow
I'm gonna put this on the imgur.
>>
>>853170
which action cast the furthest? any idea?
>>
>>853187
Totally depends on the lure and weight. Faster action seems to cast heavier stuff better.
>>
>>853010
Get a fish finder it will be the single best purchase you ever make in your fishing life

Until then look for signs of life beyond just looking for points and cover
Birds, frogs, lizards, bluegills near the bank, etc
Those areas will usually always hold big fish

Flukemaster has a great video that seems like exactly what you're looking for

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvf0ZHkt3C8
>>
>>853187
Optimal casting is acheived when the rod "loads" the proper amount as it is swung. Based on the average weight of lures you will be using (as well as the strength of the fish you will target), you should pick a rod weight (ultralight, light, medium, etc.) that suits you. Apparently optimal rod action has something to do with the type of lure you are using, as in different actions for topwater/cranks/texas rig/etc. Maybe Pepsi can fill in this bit.
>>
File: bp aug.jpg (120KB, 1294x572px) Image search: [Google]
bp aug.jpg
120KB, 1294x572px
>>853189
>>853202
thanks.
>>
>>853157
I usually do better on the grass flats at high tide and when the tides are changing.
>>
>>853028
i made smoked salmon jalapeno yogurt dip

shit was amazing
>>
>>853267
I was trying to find some smoked salmon down at kroger and trader joe's, but I couldnt find any. Where's a shmuch from the north east supposed to find lox in dixie?
>>
>>853202
>>853187
>Apparently optimal rod action has something to do with the type of lure you are using, as in different actions for topwater/cranks/texas rig/etc. Maybe Pepsi can fill in this bit.

I like a faster tip for lures that are going to be on the bottom (texas rigged stuff, jigs, ect) and a slower tip for things that are ran through the upper parts of the water column (cranks, swimbaits, frogs ect). A lot of it is personal preference though, so what works for you may not work for everyone else.
>>
>>853325
Yeah it has to do with how on cranks the action of the lure itself is what sets the hook usually, but jigs it's all about reaction time
>>
>>853329
I just like the faster action on jigs because the jig is more responsive imo and I feel like it helps me to bounce them over cover and stuff without getting snagged
>>
>>853325
+1, seems like you can get more natural action when running swimbaits and spinners with a slower rod and it's easier to feel stuff on the bottom with a fast tip. I like faster rods better overall though. Some of the super fast ones are a little much though, my CarbonLite is like that. Running a chatterbait or big spinner for awhile and you will feel it in your hands.
>>
>>852869
Lost track of the thread yesterday, I'll get that reel.

My father always said that you should invest more on the reel and you can get away with a cheap rod.

Do you agree on this guys?
>>
>>853363
Yes in general. Case in point, a cheap Shakespeare combo from Wal-Mart sucks until you put a decent reel on it, then it's a functional combo.

For fly fishing however, I'd argue the opposite since smaller fish can be brought in by hand. Reel can honestly just be a line holder in those cases. But a good rod and line makes all the difference.
>>
>>853363
For the average fisherman yes. Unless you are going for something specific like lots of eyelets for better casting or for a super strong but as light as possible rod for increased feel a standard off the shelf budget to medium priced rod is all you need. I read somewhere that if you want to know what the best all purpose tackle you can get is then ask the charter captains what they use. Makes sense. It gets used way more than your stuff ever will and it has to come at a good price because they fish with newbs and newbs are entirely capable of fucking shit up.
>>
>>853377
Charter captains here use penn senators
>>
>>853370
>flygishing
>a good rod and line makes all the difference.

Absolutely agree. Hearing this advice when I started out made a huge difference for me.
>>
>>853196
ill check the video out, thanks
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
What knot are you guys running for your leaders? Learned the Dodd knot (pic related)a few months ago. I've found it to cause a lot less drag on the eyelets compaired to the Alberto knot thus creating less abrasion on the knot itself. It's also easy as shit to tie
>>
File: RD67417-01.jpg (38KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
RD67417-01.jpg
38KB, 640x426px
>>853464
I run the FG meme knot. It was absolute hell tying it at first but it's worth it because I can use a really long leader and cast it without problems
>>
>>853465
I tried that knot as well. Its not as good as the Dodd when you are attaching a smaller diameter leader line.
>>
>>853464
If its a short leader which doesn't have to go through my rod guides, then i just put a swivel clip/snap swivel thing. Alternatively FG Knot. Best l2l knot, but hard as fuck at first.
>>
>>853492
I used nothing but the FG knot until I learned the Dodd knot. both work well.I just prefer the Dodd since its a lot quicker to tie on the boat
>>
>>853370
>>853456
Can confirm, fly fishing get a good rod and line, you only use the reel to hold line 95% of the time
>>
>>853584
Post your expensive fly rods
>>
>>853500
I still prefer the fg knot. I've tied it so many dozens of times I can't tie it wrong unless I try to
Though for mono\mono i do either an Albright or blood or improved blood
>>
>>853585
I've got a shitty eagle. Claw fiberglass with cheap line, cabelas 3 forks rods that are great for the money, and once I got to try a saint Croix with some 80+ dollar line and holy crap it was nice
The eagle claw casts maybe 45 feet, my three forks I can push to 85-80 feet and the saint Croix was 80-85 feet but I could make tighter loops cast more accurately and turn over flies better
>>
>>853589
Seriously, how much of a pain in the ass is fly fishing? I want to get into it but I want to get an idea of what I'm up against. Fishing is too easy and fun in Florida and I don't have much reason other than developing the skill at this point.
>>
>>853598
Its only a pain while you learn how to cast. You'll tie a lot of leaders in knots learning so I reccomend tying your own. Do you fish salt or fresh more
>>
Grand Rapids, Michigan here. What should I fish for this weekend?
>>
imnewguy here

how are cabela rods for finesse stuff?

should i just save up cash all winter instead?

also, does cabela reel your line with leader? what does 15-18 braid cost to fill a size 30-35 reel?

i really dont know shit
>>
>>853613
>Pastebin and Imgur. Thinkin about picking up a new hobby? Want to get a memecaster? Haven't mastered the Palomar knot? Click here!
>http://www.pastebin.com/u/fishingandtackle
>https://imgur.com/a/1Xw3N

Good info here. Read through this then come back with questions. We'll be glad to help!
>>
>>853613
>finesse stuff
Just get whatever rod to start if you aren't sure. So much of that is preference. With a size 30 reel, a 6'6"-7' M weight rod with fast action will probably be standard, but the definition of "Fast Action" varies quite a bit between manufacturers.

No clue what you meant by "15-18 braid", but a 150yd spool of PowerPro should run around $20, and 150yds of 20lb braid should fill most 30 size reels. If there is any doubt, do a mono backing so you will have 20-30yds of mono and then fill it up with the braid. Also remember that the line capacity ratings on reels are always higher than what you will actually get on there.

Easy way would just be to have Cabela's spool it up with braid in the store if you are really unsure. They might put a mono backing on there for you depending on the reel. It normally ends up being close to the same price you would spend on the spool of line and trying to do it yourself, if not cheaper.
>>
>>853469
Just tie it "backwards" when the larger line is on the wrong side.
>>
>>853629
the whole point of the FG knot is the braid cuts small grooves in the mono as its being tied around. I dont think it would be very good the other way around. especially since ive never had a problem with the Dodd knot, why bother changing now
>>
Why are most of Bass Pro Shops lures the same price as the brand names?
>>
>>853636
they arnt..
>>
>>853636
Because its a better deal when they go on sale
>>
>>853636
This >>853640

Not sure what you are looking at. Some of the Bass Pro brand stuff is good for the money, some is trash. Never buy the Lazer Eye inline spinners. Some of the plugs are bretty gud and the soft baits are ok but Zoom is so cheap as it is so no reason to get Bass Pro soft baits.
>>
>>853598
>>853602
I'm in agreement with skid here. Casting is the biggest bitch, then learning how to reduce your false casts so you're not wasting time in the air. Start with YouTube videos, Orvis fly school is a good place to start. Bring your fly rod and a way to watch the videos out to an open area and practice.

You will destroy your leaders and flies in trees. And remember: if you get pissed, take a break.
>>
>>853651
When I was learning I used the basketball court at the park early in the morning when no one was there.

I taught several friends to fly fish. The best advice I could give them is to not let out too much line when learning and to learn to feel when the rod is at maximum pull/load/what have you before moving the rod to the other position. You can feel it, it just takes time.
>>
>>853602
Salt water. Want to learn fly as a survival skill and something I can use for destination fishing. Fly fishing seems like one of the best survival fishing methods. It is labor intensive but a rod and book of flys can cover so many different types of fish. It's easy to pack and light.
>>
File: 20160908_204924.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20160908_204924.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>85358
I have a TFO TiCrx 8wt I use for the lagoon. I wouldn't have spent the money on it myself, but it was a rather generous gift from my father. It loads line like a coke fiend.
>>
File: Bull shark.jpg (535KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Bull shark.jpg
535KB, 2048x1536px
Some guys were drone fishing off the local pier, caught this nice bull shark. Really makes me want to buy one.
>>
>>853662
this was for >>853585

Accidentally deleted a number there.
>>
>>853464

Were you tying the alberto correctly? Because mine don't usually come out that fat compared to the line.. Alberto was easier for me to learn and has never failed me anyways.
>>
>>853692
thats a very zoomed in picture. that leader is 6# flouro if that gives you a sense of scale. The alberto knot is not only bigger than that knot in my pic but it doesnt have the tappered ends like that does which helps a lot with casting
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>853661
Get a 3forks /prestige plus 4 piece 8 weight from cabellas on sale for 70 bucks
Buy some prestige plus floating saltwater, and replace the line that comes on the combo
Just use the backing that is on there
Then tie a leader like so
>40 pound line, perfection loop
>30 pound line tied with a blood knot
>20 pound line tied with a blood knot
Then either tie on some tieable wire #20 with whatever knot or some #15 mono with an improved blood knot
Then buy a couple clouser minnows, some crab immitations, shrimp immitations, maybe a few Bob's bangers if you like top water
Learn to cast in an empty field, then once you're comfortable use a smaller lighter fly until you're comfortable, and work your way up to bigger flies as you're able
But don't use flies out of the water, I like to use a bit of yarn tied to the end of my line and a split shot or two to simulate a heavy fly
>>
>>853699
>>853661
I'll get you some links one sec
>>
>>853701
Very informative. Where are you from? You laid out a great setup for the fishing here in FL
>>
Recently bought a one piece Abu Garcia Vengence combo 6.6 medium action pole. (Dicks sale)

What kind of line should I buy for it?

I wanna catch bass and other freshwater fish. I have never fished.
>>
>>853709
Spinning
>>
>>853709
30lb braid
>>
>>853706
I live in Ohio but salt fishing is my passion
>>853699
>>853661
Here are some links
YouTube can show you a lot for fishing these
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-three-forks-prestige-reg-plus-fly-combo/2196555.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1102570%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571980%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18
Model 908-4
http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-prestige-reg-plus-saltwater-wf-fly-line/1747700.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Flines-backing%2F_%2FN-1102366%2B4294388851%2FNe-4294388851%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU
In wf-8

Then this lot of flies
http://www.cabelas.com/product/umpqua-clouser-minnow/1957147.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsaltwater-flies%2F_%2FN-1100431%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103934880%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18 clouser minnow
http://www.cabelas.com/product/rainy-s-cf-baitfish/742935.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F%3FN%3D1100431%26No%3D18%26Ns%3DCATEGORY_SEQ_103934880%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26recordsPerPage%3D18 baitfish fly
For those two blue imitates mullet, yellow looks like bunker, white, silver, any thing generic is random baitfish
http://www.cabelas.com/product/rainy-s-inshore/744674.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F%3FN%3D1100431%26No%3D18%26Ns%3DCATEGORY_SEQ_103934880%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26recordsPerPage%3D18 gotta have a popper
http://www.cabelas.com/product/umpqua-per-1-rag-head-crab/743007.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fsaltwater-flies%2F_%2FN-1100431%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103934880%3FrecordsPerPage%3D18 crab fly
http://www.cabelas.com/product/umpqua-ghost-shrimp/1812445.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2F%3FN%3D1100431%26No%3D36%26Ns%3DCATEGORY_SEQ_103934880%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26recordsPerPage%3D18 and shrimp are important
>>
>>853711
Wow that is expensive. Is this shit really nessary for beginner pond/river fishing?
>>
>>853713
http://www.cabelas.com/product/AFW-Surflon-Nylon-Coated-Leader-Wire/1166223.uts?
Get this in #20 and crimps if you go for toothy critters a lot and will burn through a lot of wire
I'd tie a leader for this like
>perfection loop in #40 mono 2 feet long
> blood knot to #30 mono 18 inches long
>improved blood knot to #20 mono, perfection loop at end
>crimp a loop on 20 inches of steel leader, loop to loop connection, then crimp my fly on the end
If you dont go for toothy fish much get this
http://www.cabelas.com/product/AFW-Surflon-Micro-Supreme-Wire/1317773.uts?

And use the same formula but tie a loop instead of using a crimp and then use a loop knot instead of a crimp for the fly

Then when you're not after bluefish and mackerel finish with an improved blood knot down to #15 mono or 0x tippit 20 inches long to save on wire and have less visible line on presrntations
>>
>>853716
He said he's in salt
If he wants freshwater I can get him into it cheaper
>>
>>853716
Nahh not really, you could go like 12lb mono. I use braid just so I don't get broken off.
>>
>>853716

A 110 yard spool of powerpro at basspro is 12.99...
>>
>>853719
>>853720
For fresh water fishing?

12lb is good for beginners?

Are there any good videos or books where I can learn more about fishing you guys could recommend.

I tried spooling a rod a few years back when a friend was going fishing. My spool ended up loose as hell and unfilled because I was afaid to overfill it. When I took it out it ended up getting tangled up into a mess.

I think that was 6lb and it snapped a lot.
>>
>>853722
Oh nvm I read wrong ignore me
But if you go into a fishing shop with the reel they should spool it for you
>>
>>853010
buy a topographical map of the lake
>>
>>853663
>drone fishing
>shark
>click pic
>Mexican with shark
go figure.
>>
Looking for a good medium-light rod for throwing lighter shit

Something 7'

And a good reel for it
>>
>>853298
einsteins has some which is ok.

my shit was salt brined for 4 mins then cold smoked with fresh barkless alder for 20-24 hours (have to stay up all day). then i can it with more canning salt and some jalapeno slices and a spoonful of jalapeno juice

its amazing.

this is kind of close to the homemade stuff though: http://www.copperriverseafoods.com/copper-river-smoked-king-salmon-6-5-oz-jars-12-jars/
>>
Any of you have experience with Kastking reels?
>>
>>853716
You don't need braid. It's nice, but I would do 20lb PowerPro on that setup. 30lb is overkill and you will cast farther with 20lb.

But that's if you even want to do braid. If you are new to fishing, 8lb mono like Trilene or Suffix is the way to go.
>>
>>853722
12lb is ok if you are doing mostly heavy bass lures, but 8lb-10lb will be much better for <1/4oz lures.

6lb mono will normally work fine for bass too as long as you aren't ripping huge guys out of weeds. If it was breaking a lot, it could've been old line. Mono gets weak over time.
>>
>>853770
thanks anon
>>853722
there are some youtube videos on how to spool stuff right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RH27ubNJ8M

Dont be afraid to tie your line to a tree, walk it out, cut it, and reel it back in. nice little tip i learned from these guys
>>
File: IMG_20160909_094817242.jpg (2MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160909_094817242.jpg
2MB, 2432x4320px
>>853899
>My tip
Ayy
It's helpful to pre stretch mono I end up having to do it on my saltwater rods that have mono on it (12 and 20 lb but mostly the 20)
Almost every time I go out since I dont use them often
>>
>>853731
Already have one. Lakes too big to give you any idea of where the drop
Offs and shoals are
>>
>>853929
Use I your phone to give you your lat and long so you can see where you're at
>>
>>853972
I do. Having a map and knowing where I am isn't really that helpfully since the most important variable is the bottom conditions and I have no way of knowing that without sonar
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>tfw just signed a lease on a new house that is even further from freshwater
There were a couple houses on saltwater canals too. Pic related was the second choice if this house didn't work out. And then there were two more houses like a block from the beach and the little subdivision has a private beach. I didn't really want to live on that side of the intercoastal though.
>>
>>853985
do the canals have fish?
>>
File: image.jpg (301KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
301KB, 640x1136px
>>853988
I'm assuming they do. it's all people's backyards though.
>tfw gettin the keys on the 15th
So two more weekends of no time to fish and then I should be set.
>>
>>853988
There's an ExtremePhillyFishing video where he catches some small jack and puffers in a canal like this.
>>
>>853983
A topo map should show you the drop offs and points. Unless you're saying the lake is too big to print off a reasonable sized map that shows the bottom. In that case there's a couple apps that you can use so you can zoom in on the map.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>853999
Not really any visable drop offs since the max depth in most areas on the west end are a max of 25 feet. It shows a few holes but finishing them would be easier said then done
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Gonna attempt to find sumn peacocks in one of those crystal clear lakes that always piss me off.

I need to dump some mud in these lakes. Preferably a few dump truck full right along those steep drops so I can mellow them out and get some good weed beds.
>>
>>854022
just buy bags of cow manure and dump it in. the nitrogen rich shit will increase weed growth
>>
File: image.jpg (162KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162KB, 640x1136px
Are those Keitech baits any good? I'm thinking about stopping at Dick's to waste $30 before I get to the lake and I always see these things on sale. They look nice but never really stood out as anything great.

Also those Okuma Stratus reels are on sale for $29 again. One day I'm just going to buy 3 or 4 of them in different sizes and just hand onto them for the future when I want to set up another combo.
>>
>>854028
they make for excellent trailers on swim jigs, chatterbait, etc.
>>
File: things.png (147KB, 301x239px) Image search: [Google]
things.png
147KB, 301x239px
>>854028
How do you rig these? My dad bought some for my son and we're kinda at a loss.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>854033
Probably with a swimbait hook like pic related or just an offset worm hook.

>>854031
That reminds me, I'm gonna see if they have any sweet chatterbaits.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 500x371px
>>854035
>>854033
You could also just rig them with a jighead
>>
File: J-hooks.jpg (6KB, 196x130px) Image search: [Google]
J-hooks.jpg
6KB, 196x130px
>>854035
>>854036
Looks like that'd work better than the pic related I was trying to use.

Do you just work it using a jerk/wait kinda retrieve like a texas/carolina rig?
>>
>>854039
not exactly like a texas/carolina rig but sometimes that works. mostly though you just figure out your depth. make a long cast. then just do a slow retrieve along the bottom. if there is too much structure then its usually best to cast, kind of lift your rod to pick it up and then reel in a little. let it sink back down and just repeat until you run out of water
>>
>>854046
That's what I meant, just didn't describe it well. Not letting it hit the bottom like a worm but jerk-y movements above cover to catch dat bass's attention is pretty much modus operandi for fishing any lure if I don't know how to use it.
>>
>>854039
Those will work too, just like the swimbait hooks like in this post >>854035 but they don't always fit the best with different baits like the worms. The swimbait hooks will be a similar shape but they have a little corkscrew deal that goes into the nose of the bait. They come weighted and unweighted.

I still sometimes run those baits on Texas rigs with regular EWG hooks like in your pic. The action is a little different with a bullet weight and having all the weight on the nose. If I'm fishing them on the bottom, Texas rigging works well because it can look like a baitfish digging its nose into the mud looking for food. The weighted swimbait hooks work better for actually swimming them.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>today's haul of Dicks
Those Keitechs were only $1 off the regular price if you buy 4+ packs so I passed on them. Same reason why I always do- none of the colors really stand out. There are lots of silver, natural, and white ones and those rarely get a lot of action for me.

Got more Culprit craws, only problem is Dick's doesn't have the slim ones which I like. The regular ones are still good, but the Incredi-Slims have a thinner body while still having the really long claws and everything that makes the Culprit craws great. The thinner body gives the hook more room to come through and they seem to last longer.

Also chatterbait with a black blade, maybe that will get some attention if I ever get to the lake with traffic.
>>
>>854054
I'll give it a go with the jig heads. The center of the body on the ones he's got are a lot smaller than the pic I cropped and don't rig well with a weedless rig. Doens't look right, doesn't swim right. Thanks again. I can't believe 4chan has a helpful community! I know we shit on each other and have the occasional troll but all in all this forum has been more help than just about anything else I've tried.
>>
>>854060
Fuck you.

And yeah, jigheads work pretty well with them. Just make sure you rig it right down the center otherwise they will twist around in the water and look like shit. And even with the hook sticking out, they are still good near weeds and snags. The Storm baits are like that. The single hook on the top doesn't catch on much until a fish hits it.
>>
>>853844
This is probably asked a mushroom times a thread. But what would you include in a fresh water fishing starter tackle?

What are all those pre tied things they sell at store?

Should I be using monofilament or something else.?
>>
>>854062
>Fuck you
That's the 4chan attitude I was missing lol
>>
File: snell.jpg (21KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
snell.jpg
21KB, 450x450px
>>854063
>This is probably asked a mushroom times a thread. But what would you include in a fresh water fishing starter tackle?

Basic hook assortment, bobbers, snap swivels, multi pack of assorted jigheads and bodies, assorted pack of sinkers, and a dozen night crawlers will catch a lot of freshwater fish. Probably a rooster tail or 2, they seem to catch something when nothing else is biting.

>What are all those pre tied things they sell at store?

Like pic related? Snell hooks. An easy way to attach a hook with a leader for multiple reasons.

>Should I be using monofilament or something else.?

This is an individual decision. For a newb I'd go with 8 pound trilene from Wally World. It's a decent general purpose line. Don't use what came on your reel when you bought it, it's probably junk. Replace it and you'll know it's new line, what it's rated for, and how much is on there.
>>
>>854063
>What are all those pre tied things they sell at store?
Do you mean snells? any idea on what kind of fish you intend on targeting? if you want to just catch A fish just 8# mono, a pack of swivel snaps, a pack of split shot sinkers, a pack of snells, and a thing of night crawlers and you will be all set.
>>
File: snell rig.jpg (367KB, 2404x1805px) Image search: [Google]
snell rig.jpg
367KB, 2404x1805px
>>854063
this is a basic snell rig I run for bullhead and perch. you can substitute the bullet weight for spit shots if its easier
>>
I've always used snells like a safety system. 8 lb snell and 15 lb line with a swivel. With the weight and bobber above the swivel I don't lose them if I get snagged, I just lose a snell. Other uses?
>>
Which way should i hook pike deadbaits? They turn the fish to swallow is head first, so should I have the hook points pointing to the tail? Or does it nor really matter? Going pike fishing for the first time tomorrow.
>>
>>854063
My copypasta is in the pastebin. But basically for all-around freshwater starter kit:
>Medium weight spinning combo with 6lb-10lb mono line (good brand like Trilene)
>assorted aberdeen hooks
>assorted split shot weights
>bobbers
>pliers and knoife
And that should get you going for live bait. The pre-tied leaders aren't necessary. If you want to get started on lures, hardbaits like Rapala Originals or Husky Jerks in different sizes are great and easy to use. Inline spinners like Mepps or Rooster Tails are great for beginners as well. And can't go wrong with some assorted jigheads and curly tail grubs.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Fuck, I was really hoping that was a peacock when he was on the line.
>>
>>854100
pesi go to the beach tomorrow i want to see if you can catch anything there in florida land
>>
>>854088
Will cheapo spinners from dick's work? Like fishbone. Also what is good size for jig heads and grubs.
>>
>>854101
Skid pls
>>
>>854102
I bought a few and caught some panfish on the small ones. I'm sure they'd work fine for bass too.
>>
>>854103
try again , im going down to the shore for a half fday tomorrow, wanna see if pepsi will go and get anything
>>
>>854088
Just checked online. Trilene has more variety of fishing line than most brands of condoms. Which do you suggest?
>>
>>854106
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Berkley-Trilene-XL-Fishing-Line/22097918

I use 12 lb and love it.
>>
>>852974
I've been on plenty of hunting trips that ended with me just sitting in a stand when it's 20 degrees outside for 5 hours. Sitting there absolutely silent for 5 hours without seeing anything is worse than fishing.
I can walk into my backyard and fish for 30 minutes, and if I don't catch anything or get bored, I come back inside. Shooting is ,at a minimum, a 2 hour event. All just to poke holes in paper. I can poke holes in paper at home.
>>
>>854109
Okay
>>
>>854109
What in the fuck? Bot?
>>
>>852974
>not taking down a real animal
I guess you've never been shark fishing.
>probably thinks deer is a real animal
which doesn't even matter since you're 100 yards away from it anyways. It's just fancy target practice.
>>
>>854113
>>854112
I have no fucking clue how that post ended up here but it did. my b
>>
>>853053
Did you eat that?
>>
>>853127
Have one of those. Sinks like a fucking rock and got caught on every rock and stick on the bottom
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>854106
Just the red box or blue box. I normally do the XS in the red box in that low-vis green color.

You have a medium weight reel, right? It will probably say like 6lb-8lb-10lb line on it. Depends what you want to do. 8lb is great all around because it will handle bass fine but still casts crappie and bluegill lures. 10lb-12lb, it starts to get tough to get any distance on stuff <1/4oz. 6lb is great if you fish a lot of smaller lakes and ponds where most of the bass you are getting are like 2lb and smaller or <18".

>>854102
Those cheap baits are fine for the most part. Especially considering you will lose them. That way you can try out a variety of stuff and see what works for you and eventually spend money on nicer ones in the future. Some are better than others though. Bass Pro's store brand hardbaits (Rapala-type cranks) are great for the $2-$3 price tag. Their soft plastics are good too. But their inline spinners (Mepps-type) are garbage and Rooster Tails are only like $3 anyway.

For the jigheads and grubs, for bluegill it will often be like 1/16oz and those work for medium sized ones. Find some 1.5" or 2" grubs that look like they will fit on there. Beetle Spins are great bluegill, crappie, and bass lures too. Just look at the stuff and see what will fit in the fish's mouth.
>>
>>854122
REEEEE JUST GO SALTWATER FISHING
>>
>>854142
TOMORROW REEEE!!!
>>
>>854161
:(

Please go pepsifam
>>
Is it ever worth throwing a topwater lure if you don't see any fish busting?
>>
New 4500 from a local company just arrived.
Will pic and post ASAP.
>>
>>854170
yes. i've thrown a walking bait in 20+ feet of low viability water and destroyed fish on multiple occasions. usually a last ditch attempt though if i cant get them to strike anything else
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>854170
They will still work. It's strange. Sometimes if I'm not getting shit, I will rig up a weightless Zoom Horny Toad and run it over the thickest weed bed I can find and some 12"-14" largemouth will take shots at it.

I thought about tossing this big firetiger Rapala SkitterProp today as the sun was setting and seeing if peacocks would take a shot at that. But then I got hit by a rain cloud. By the time I got to my car to wait it out, I was all wet and had no more motivation.

>>854165
Don't you understand what "tomorrow" means?
>>
File: leopardbite.jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
leopardbite.jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>854182
It means you're never gonna go saltwater fishing.

Why though? It's so much fun to see snook smash topwater lures
>>
>>854184
Skid pls
>>
>>854187
>implying I'm skid

I'm the juno anon.
>>
>>854184
>never gonna go salt
his loss............
>>
I was in mainebub's old haunt and in his old dept in Cabelas on Wednesday.
>>
how do you guys cut braid

these nail clippers do nothing

also pepsi is probably afraid of sharks
>>
>>854199
Sharp knife always does fine.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-09+at+08.12.33).png (145KB, 339x297px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-09+at+08.12.33).png
145KB, 339x297px
why is dropshot stuff always shaped like this at the top
>>
File: thatfeel1370210037986.jpg (78KB, 561x519px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeel1370210037986.jpg
78KB, 561x519px
>>854196
I tried to get a bass fisherman to try catching what is essentially a huge bass on steroids and I failed. Not even meme magic can get him to the shores.

>>854199
Small craft scissors.
>>
>>854202
doesnt require you to tie the line to it. Just put you line through and pull up and it stays.
>>
File: fishingbabes25.jpg (40KB, 500x359px) Image search: [Google]
fishingbabes25.jpg
40KB, 500x359px
>>854202
>>854205
Partially this but also it'll pull free if/when the weight gets snagged.
>>
>>854198
Where is mainebub
>>
>>854205
>>854210
so do i just slip the line underneath the hook into this and pull? seems like it'd come loose too easily
>>
>>854211
Last I heard he was in Mass, I think central. Haven't talked to him since striper migration started on the Saco. Was going to bring my yak up to his new house and I guess that sort of fell through.
>>
>>854216
Yep and sometimes it does. Check it periodically. I've only had one come off on a cast once.
>>
Hey /out/,

new NJ fisher here.

I have been fishing my spinning reel a few times this summer. My goal was to catch one bass but so far ill ive cuaght is tons of panfish.

I still ahve only caught fish on hotdogs and live worms.

Ive tried meps #3 and #1 for panfish and bass and have caught nothing.

Tried a texas rigged curly tailed worm and caught no bass.

Same for jighead and grub.

Is there any way I can fish a bobber to catch bass? Or some way I can fish for them that is less finesse based for beginners?

I do have a shallow crankbait but havent tried it yet.

Using a medium power spinning reel and #6 monofilimin. I may switch to 8 like the other guy in thread because my texas rig broke and I lost weight, a worm and one of my only 3 wormhooks.

What size hook, what kind of hook and what kind of bobber for bass fishing with worms maybe?

I fish on a dam in a local pond with tons of weeds and tall green plants that tangle lines.
>>
>>854231
>Is there any way I can fish a bobber to catch bass?
Sure. http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/catching-lunker-bass-with-nightcrawlers/

You can catch damn near anything on a worm, you just have to target what you're going after. If you drop a wad of nightcrawlers 3 feet deep you're not going to catch anything but panfish. Mostly.
>>
>>854233
>http://www.in-fisherman.com/bass/catching-lunker-bass-with-nightcrawlers/
Problem is my local pond is shallow as fuck.

Not sure how deep as its part of a park and they don't have a website.
>>
Ok, so went fishing with my dad a year or two ago. Caught a fish, hooked it in the water with something I cant remember the name of, it died then he told me to just throw it back.

This still bothers me, so if I go fishing again what should I do? How do I keep a fish alive if I decide to let it go? Any advice just regarding this?
>>
>>854239
Don't gut hook it and keep it wet
>>
File: 20160909_214911.jpg (1MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20160909_214911.jpg
1MB, 1280x1280px
Just got all this for free.also can someone tell me how good ikeman lures are.
>>
>>854239
Don't lay it down in the grass like all the retards who inhabit this general do
That wrecks the slime coat which is the largest and most important part of a fish's immune system

If you do take it entirely out of the water make sure it's only out as long as it absolutely needs to be for removing the hook and/or taking a pic

Also if you're really concerned about the health of the fish then use barbless circle hooks
>>
File: image.jpg (277KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
277KB, 640x1136px
>>854248
>Don't lay it down in the grass like all the retards who inhabit this general do

>reeeeee
>>
>>854248
It was in the water.
>>
File: image.jpg (936KB, 1972x2142px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
936KB, 1972x2142px
>>854255
If it is gut hooked (hook is logged too far down its throat to remove) then just cut the line a let it go. The more fish you remove the easier it becomes. If the fish is not responsive when you put it back in the water you want to get a good grip on it and remove it back in forth or in a figure 8 pattern to get oxygen to their gills. I know when I fish for like they don't like being out of the water long and sometime take a while to regain enough stamina to swim off. Just be patient. If all else fairs and the fish is kill You can keep it and eat it yourself or just throw it in the water and something else will grab it.
>>
>>854257
Move* not remove
Pike* not like
Fails* not fairs

Fuckin auto correct
>>
>>854257
I'll be honest I just learned about the back and forth thing after watching a documentary last week. Probably should have done that.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>854231
Nightcrawlers or minnows on a bobber always work for bass. Just try and cast it past the drop-off so tons of bluegill don't all eat it.

And for the lures, you either need to find the right spot and/or the right time. Dusk and dawn or right before storms, that is the time to get some bass. But you still need to find a good lake and the hot spots for bass. I'm suprised you haven't gotten some smaller largemouth on something.

>>854239
Don't gut hook it. If you let the fish totally swallow the bait and hook before reeling it in, you will probably fuck it up and kill it. Other than that, put them back in the water within 10min, don't smash them on too many rocks, and you should be fine.
>>
>>854251
>>854261
>look at these dink bass I think I'll just go ahead and fuck up the slime coat so that all my internet friends can see just how small they are

Cretins the both of you
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>854263
Exactly
>>
File: image.jpg (213KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
213KB, 640x1136px
>>854263
Dude what these are like 4 pounders
>>
>>854271
5 after a good meal
>>
>>854231

https://youtu.be/okak9VRrB08

theres a video of a guy catching smallmouths with minnows+bobbers
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-10-00-04-50.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-10-00-04-50.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
Anyone else fish with a slingshot?
>>
Pepsi can't catch big bass

I know Texas can tho
>>
>>854298

That's what happens when you unironically use inline spinners.
>>
>>854299
Pretty much true

If you ever see that guy post who shops a catfish head over his own he's pulled in a lot of true monsters 10#+ and they've all been caught on soft plastics and conventional spinnerbaits and crankbaits

Texas gets all his big bass on soft plastics

Inline spinnerbaits are a meme that will work for small bass and panfish
>>
>>854293
For slinging your bait or you mean trying to actually hit fish with shots?
Unfortunately slings are illegal here for anything but launching bait, but I just use pulley rigs or slidebaiting if I need to get a big bait out any kind of distance.

All that said, Shooting surfacing surfacing carp with bearings on a hot day would be awesome fun, they make great fertiliser. and mana crab bait.

What you fishing for at the moment Slingbro?
>>
I only have big ass swivels. Is it going to fuck up my spinner?
>>
Might try some pink worms today for the first time.
>>
>>854298
He can't catch big fish period. Every pic he posts is a dink.
>>
>>854349
Good to see some Saffas on here. I've been slide baiting a bit here in Aus, pretty good results so far. Still chasing a big mulloway (kob)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>854298
Somewhat true. Fishing small, overfished ponds with 80F water isn't the best for landing 5lb+ fish
>>
>>854388
Slide baiting is great if you have a rod that can cast 5-6oz, then clip on live or dead baits.
Pretty much a must for channel fishing with those crazy currents.

The coorong should be pretty good at the moment, I wouldn't mind going on a trip there but would settle for something like Aldinga.
Haven't been in a while, so maybe a squid, tommy and gar session is on the cards very soon.
>>
File: IMG_1075.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1075.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>854271
Dude, this is a 4#'r, not that shit you posted.

Black sea bass for the win. This is what you're missing pepsanon
>>
>>854359
Tie your spinner direct. Works better that way than with a swivel.
>>
>>854401
Want to catch big fish? Hit the shore now. Snook will be gone soon and trust me when I say catching them is like catching a mega bass on crack.
>>
>>854431
he's afraid of the real fish. Only likes the little pond species that roll over and play dead when you hook them.
>>
>>854451
catching bluegill and other tiny pond fish is so boring. The only reason to do it is if you're going to eat them.
>>
>>854453
>so boring
Scup/porgy are the bluegill/panfish of the sea and I target them but only as something to do while I'm waiting for a school of real fish to go through.
Still a 13" scup on a 6' rod with a 2500 is fun at least. Anything under 10" is boring.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>854419
I don't own a landing net. How will I ever haul in monsters like that?

>>854431
We'll see if I have time to get out today. Goddamn house and moving stuff I'm dealing with now. Idk why I'm even cleaning this place, I just rent it. I don't give a fuck about the buyers.

>>854453
Those Mayans on a lighter setup are honestly fun to catch.
>>
>>854462
>How to haul in monsters

vewwy carefully
>>
I need a reel for surfcasting, I'm using 4,5 m rods with 100-150g sinkers.

After checking locally, for around 40 bucks I can get reels with 3 ball bearings and not so great.

I rather get in touch with the reel on the store but after cheking online I narrowed my choice to two reels that seem a better bang for my buck.

https://www.amazon.com/Tsunami-Classic-Water-Spinning-Bearings/dp/B00A2NY8R6/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1473278063&sr=1-2&keywords=tsunami+classic+reel

https://www.amazon.com/KastKing-Sharky-Waterproof-Spinning-Reel/dp/B01ABW2HG6/ref=zg_bs_3409711_5?psc=1

I would get the KastKing for 37€ shipped from eBay, and I'm more inclined to buy this one.

Opinions?
>>
>>854487
penn fierce
>>
>>854487
The number of bearings is kinda a meme, especially with spinning reels since it has nothing to do with casting. I wouldn't shop based on that alone. No clue about either of those reels though. It's really hard to tell how they are until you pick them up IRL. That's why I tend to go with well known brands if I'm buying anything online without checking it out.

The Kast King looks straight I guess. As long as those "3 minute seals" hold up well. That's a little odd.
>>
>>854487
And this is what I would've said >>854490

Any Penn in your budget will be solid choice. They are the go-to for spinning reels like that.
>>
>>854494
>person who has never surfcasted in his life and never will because he's afraid of fish bigger than a dink bass
>giving advice

wew

Get a Penn Pursuit II if you're on a budget. I'd highly suggest you spend the money and get a used Penn SSV on ebay since they're sealed and you will drop your reel in the sand at least once.
>>
>>854490
>>854494
>>854502
I'll look into Penn Fierce stuff. The problem is that I need it shipped to Spain, that means shipping price and probably import tax, so a 40 bucks reel for you is probably more like 70 to me.

The KastKing looks good and it has pretty good reviews, but I'll try to find a Penn Fierce for 50€.
>>
>>854503
The Penn Pursuit is like 40 on amazon
>>
>>854505
Like I said.

>Penn Pursuit II 6000CP Spinning Reels (Amazon)
>Price: $47.05 + $34.17 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Spain
>>
Holy shit, there's 3 girls who came over to look at this house and they are all 10/10 girls in their upper 20s. Wtf. I need to get a pic.
>>
>>854503
The worst thing about kastking is that its hard to find parts if something breaks. You can find penn spare parts easily.
>>
>>854514
Get a booty pic
>>
>>854514
>Upper 20s

Too old.
>>
>>854518
The just left. I couldn't do it without being awkward. A blonde and two brunettes.
>>
>>854519
So I guess one was the realtor, prolly around 30 and the other was a mom and daughter who looked the same age. I'll take the brunette mom and daughter. They were dressed real nice too...
>>
>>854422
Seemed to work fine. I caught a few small ones. Hooked one through the eye. Like not even in the mouth. From the outside of its eye in. It had 2 trebles around its eye. I thought I was going to have to pull its eye off but somehow they came out fairly easy.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>854524
Sometimes when I get bluegill or smaller Mayans on Mepps #3 and #4, I'm baffled how they even got hooked. I got a ~6" Mayan on that X Rap yesterday (I think it was a Size 10, so like 4" long) and the fish was hooked on the side of its mouth.
>>
Dammit Pepsi, catch a clown knife fish. I will shoot to come down south sometime and see if I can get on some of those crazy fish in the freshwater down there.
>>
>>854583
Apparently you can only catch them on live bait and Peps is a lure guy
>>
I heard that in one of the videos I watched but I wasn't sure if it was just that captain's experience or if it was the actual behavior of the fish.
>>
Bout time for a new thread

>>854583
I wonder where they are at. I have never even seen them here. Sneks, plecos, and lots of cichlids but no knife fish
>>
File: image.jpg (598KB, 1455x1455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
598KB, 1455x1455px
>>854597
>>
>>854503
Daiwa opus, I love mine
They're a little heavy but built like tanks
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 72

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.