[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start cycling? My goal is to be able to cycle 100km.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: le bike.png (6KB, 280x180px) Image search: [Google]
le bike.png
6KB, 280x180px
How do I start cycling?
My goal is to be able to cycle 100km.
How does a person who has never cycled before start out?
>>
You basically just go and don't stop

Literally just don't stop

Even obese people can do 100km on a bicycle in a day

Pedal as fast as possible until your legs cramp so badly you cannot pedal, do this twice a week. This will build muscle the fastest for long term riding. You could actually probably sprint 100km with a bicycle on one of your first training sessions if you are average health.

-I bike 30-50 miles 7 days a week and go on much longer rides monthly
>>
>>838435
First: Buy a bike.

Then basically bike a lot. You can do a training regimen like what >>838441 suggested, but you really don't need to be that gung ho about it if your goal is distance rather than speed.

You can start small and work your way up, starting with short rides and then working yourself into longer ones. You can go from a normal amount of biking to 100 KM in a day pretty easily.

In high school I biked across the US (from Charleston, SC to San Diego, CA) with no real prior biking experience and I only really trained for about two months, and it wasn't really as rigorous as other anon's suggestion. My "training" consisted of maybe biking about 60 miles (100km) twice a week (I was still in school, so there was little time to train during the week) and riding my bike everywhere instead of driving. I started out with just 15 mile rides (25 km) and just increased the distance each time. I probably could have gone at it even more intensely, but the amount that I did was more than enough to prepare for my trip, which in terms of biking, was about 85-130 miles (140-200 km) every day for several weeks.

So basically anon, 100km is very very doable and possible with little to no training. I would say that once you get there, work on being faster, as that is much harder to do. Also, be prepared for butt burn and hand blisters on your first few rides. But that'll go away quickly.
>>
>>838441
>>838475
Thank you very much!
>>
>>838435
I'm out of shape, and I regularly go biking for 70-100 miles per day.

I only stop by my car to refil on water, otherwise I'm on my bike for 5-8 hours until it gets dark, or I get bored.

There is a 8.8mile loop near me, so I just go on it till I cant

Im not in shape in any from. there is almost no elevation change except 2 bridged, and trying to go over them on the 10th, 12th time gets really, really hard.
>>
>>838531
Eugene Oregon?
>>
>>838532
Chicagoland.
The irony I drive 30+ minutes to my bike trail
>>
I am obese and generally cycle around 70km/day. I commute about 30km each way to/from work and then also do around 10km of extra errands on top of that.

Cycling is all about starting and not stopping, it doesn't really matter if you are as out of shape as I am.
>>
>>838540
where the fuck do you live that you can bike that fucking much

what do you do when it rains or snows

how do you show up to work drenched in sweat
>>
>>838538
what to buy first, a bike or gun? fuck chicago ;^)
>>
File: Observitory.jpg (41KB, 570x365px) Image search: [Google]
Observitory.jpg
41KB, 570x365px
>>838532
541 checking in.
Whats your favorite biking spot anon?
>>
>>838808
Not that anon but
>what do you do when it rains or snows
Buy fenders and ride anyway. It's really not that big a deal if you're not dumb enough to buy a race bike for the street.

>how do you show up to work drenched in sweat
Ride slower.
>>
File: rainon.png (806KB, 595x598px) Image search: [Google]
rainon.png
806KB, 595x598px
>>838808
Buy a raincoat
>>
>>838435
yeah just go every day some days off, i could do 100km on a mountain bike as a child. altough i havent been riding as frequently.
>>
>>838435
>>>/n/
>>>/fit/
>>
File: IMG_20160819_135054.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160819_135054.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>838822
Why not both?
>>
There's a load of shit in this thread anon.

Depends on where you live. I'm in a very hilly area and my cycle to work is 10 miles with over 900ft of climbing.
10 miles on the flat is easy-peasy.
10 miles of climbing a mountain will kill you.

The only thing I'd take from this is: go out, and cycle. That's the only way to train.
>>
>>838909
Bikes are /out/ too, deal with it.
>>
>>840820
Nice bun.
>>
>>840820
My man, why the fuck are your drops at that angle. Lower that shit man
>>
File: training.jpg (47KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
training.jpg
47KB, 480x320px
>>838435
>How does a person who has never cycled before start out?
Your welcome...
>>
>>840961
Training wheels teach you bad habits. Learning to ride a bike is all about learning how to manage their inherent instability.
>>
>>840966
>Training wheels teach you bad habits
Same could be said about /out
OR any advice for that matter.
We should all be inherently responsibe for ourselves and develop the methods for our learning through trial and error, not copying others which makes us weak.
>>
Tldr

Check out /n/, they're a bunch of cyclists. Cycling is a lot of fun, good hobby to pick up.
>>
>>840960
That's how I had the bike fitted to myself at Trek.

Feels fine
>>
>>840960
I think the angle of the bike makes them look higher than they are. I think they're angle just above level with the ground.
>>
OP, 100km is not much. You have also to specify height. 2000m is doable, but hard
>>
Ride regularly, that's the main thing, and get a good bike fit. 100km is pretty easy to do. Consider 20km/h is pretty much just tootling along doing nothing, do that for five hours you've gone 100km.

Do it for 2.5 hours, have lunch, do it for another 2.5 hours. 100KM.

After five hours it starts getting tough, but once you've got a few 200km under your belt 100km feels like nothing.
>>
>>838435

If you literally cannot rida bike, start out by lowering the saddle so that you can sit on it with your feet on the ground. Take the pedals off, remembering that the left pedal has a reverse thread.

Now just practice rolling around with your feet and using the brakes. When you can roll without touching the ground, put the pedals on.

Don't get cocky and enjoy.
>>
fucking >>>/n/ you shitheel. It's bullshit that we aren't allowed to have hunting threads and this guy get's to shave his nards, pull on a lycra outfit and mount his computer to ask questions about something with barely a cursory relationship to the outdoors. Go fuck yourself and the bicycle you rode in on. (If you can)
>>
>>840980
Going /out/ without any knowledge can lead to exposure, hypothermia and death.

Riding a bike without training wheels leads to scraped knees
>>
should i wear a helmet or not?
>>
>>841504

That depends, are you a dumb fuck or not?
>>
I want to teach my husband to ride (I'm from Europe, used to cycle to work everyday before I came to America, he's never ridden before). What sort of bike should I teach him on? I'm guessing a single speed one would be simplest... any recommendations for cheap bike store over here? Walmart seems to mainly have mountain bikes, I just want something simple for him to learn on, preferably less than $100.
>>
>>841854
Whore
>>
>>841857
W-what?
>>
>>838842
>Ride slower.
Not that anon, but this hasn't worked for me.

Especially when its 80-90 degress out, but even reasonable temps make me sweat when taking a slow pace.

So, I guess you just don't sweat a lot? That sounds nice.
>>
>>841854

Just go into walmart and buy a mtb. The mongoose fat bikes are cool so is the new huffy 29+, I wish we had those when I learned to ride when I was as kid.
>>
>>841938

Just pack a change of clothes and a towel. I never used to shower after riding to work I'd just go to the bathroom and wipe down with the towel, wipe down my face and bits and get changed. Then I'd change back on the way out.
>>
>>841854
if you're on a budget used is the way to go, but even then $100 is kind of low unless you're lucky. Avoid wal-mart bikes at all costs, they're designed to be ridden twice then put in the garage and if you ride them more they break.
>>
any tips for a 19yo that wants to start out racing
my grandfather fucked with the tour de france and owns and operates a cycle tours out of the family house in france
he is getting old and i would like to help him out with everything
i would love some wins/losses under my belt so im not going over like a penguin
i would like to get a fairly decent bike so i don't look like a fool in a pack practising (so no $400 bike) and how big of a leap is it technology wise from a $2000 too a $6000 bike
im a cycle noob i ride my bmx everyday twice a day but my grandpa would kill me in a race and he lets me know it all the time
i want to destroy him before he is too old and can blame it on the age im too late and need help now
plan so far is get a 2500-4k bike join a club and start training and try make my entrance year a good one
>>
>>838840
McKenzie pass is cool. You should try biking around Crater Lake.
>>
>>838538
>Chicagoland
Me too, wanna bike sometime? I'm a brand new noob though, only done it a few times this summer
>>
>>842163
>my grandfather fucked with the tour de france and owns and operates a cycle tours out of the family house in france
but I'll ask on 4chan instead of learming from a beloved family member.
>>
>>838540
you're kind of my hero. god speed fatty.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.