[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 83

File: image.jpg (126KB, 468x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 468x600px
#53-"Triggered and Horny" Edition

Previous Thread:
>>787496

We finally got some cloudy and rainy weather down here as the remnants of that tropical storm have been hanging around. Haven't had a ton of time to go fishing, but the few min I have been at the lake, I have been having even worse luck than when it is sunny all day. I thought the weather would help but I guess not. Or I'm just fishing the wrong spots with the wrong lures.

Talk about fishin'
>>
Went striper fishing this morning. It was windy as hell and cold ad balls. Got a few though. I'm going out to plum island again Friday night. Hopefully the bite will be better. I got a new lucky strike needle fish to try out. $20 for one lure, shit better produce.
>>
File: image.jpg (451KB, 1205x1901px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
451KB, 1205x1901px
>>789240
The few times I have tried to fish with bait instead of lures the past couple years, I end up walking away with another rod that has a lure on it and get nervous my rod is gonna fly into the water.

I do need to hit some catfish or carp one of these days. I see so many huge carp and I'm sure these FL lakes have some nice catfish.
>>
>>789244
thats why i wont just set 2 rods down and fish with a lure on the third away from the other two, i want to sit right by them and il watch bideos on my phone or some shit while waiting
>>
File: 194761831.jpg (3MB, 2236x2236px) Image search: [Google]
194761831.jpg
3MB, 2236x2236px
If dubs I catch him tomorrow
>>
Noob question coming in:
How do I catch trout? Does corn flavored powerbait work? Thanks boys!
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>789250
Maybe this weekend...
>>
>>789251
never had any luck with that shit but salmon eggs, bloodworms, and mepps work well.

or you could channel your inner grandpa and fly fish.
>>
>>789253
Thanks for the quick reply! What about mealworms? Also how can I fish in algae without it getting caught on my hook? A Bobber?
>>
>>789241
>absolutelydegenerate.jpg
>>
>>789257
Try some waxworms. Those always worked really, really well for panfish for me. They are like mealworms but fatter and softer.
>>
>>789251

I tried trout fishing this past winter in Central Texas when they started stocking local ponds. What worked best for me was...

1) Be out when it's cold. Trout love the cold. I would be out on the water at 5-7, with a notable drop off in bites after the sun rose. Closer to freezing, the better.

2) Powerbait (use a variety) on a tiny ass salmon egg hook with 6-20 inches, of 2-5# mono/flouro leader. Tie to a small barrel swivel, then put a 1/4 oz egg sinker on the main line and tie it to the whole shebang.

3) Cast near cover, let it hit the bottom, keep a little slack, and watch your line. If you don't get a bite in 5 to 10 minutes or so, then move.

4) If you hate sitting still, try a small inline spinner or a super duper. Just cast and retrieve slowly near cover.

5) You want to generally avoid touching gills if you're trying to keep a fish alive, and this is especially true of trout. If you put them on a stringer, the punch a hole through their bottom jaw.

Saw people out there using floats, corn, bread, worms, etc. I tried all that too, but the above combo is would get me my 5 fish limit+ within an hour and a half.

I'm sure wild trout are a whole different matter.

When it comes to cooking them, I just cut off the fins, slit the belly, chop off the head, pull it off with the the guts, and remove that red/brown line running down the inside of the spine. After that, you can grill, smoke, bake, or fry them. No need to skin or scale them.
>>
>>789257
I think mealworms work. I'm not a very experience trout fisherman tho. Bobbers or weed less rigs work but I'm not sure what's a weed less right for trout
>>
>>789269
>2) Powerbait (use a variety) on a tiny ass salmon egg hook with 6-20 inches, of 2-5# mono/flouro leader. Tie to a small barrel swivel, then put a 1/4 oz egg sinker on the main line and tie it to the whole shebang.

Also note that when you put the bait on the hook, it should float above the bottom. Presents a clear target for the fish.
>>
>>789269
Thanks man!
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 640x1136px
>>789200
Okay so this were I snagg all dem carp at. I'm not even trying to. I normally can't see them when I snag them and I think it's a bass and get all excited because sometimes it feels like a bite.

Anyway the red part usually only has a couple of inches when the water is low, but when it's high there's at most only 8" or so.

So the carp stay in that little resivoour below the damn and multiply like crazy. I posted a couple threads ago where I could see at least a hundred lined up on the bank with my headlamp.

I got onto something today that was absolutely huge. I would like to think it was a nice bass, but more than likely it was a big carp. Once I hooked it the fish ran so fast and hard, but he got off really quick.
>>
>>789280
Do you ever night fish for bass?

What do you throw?
>>
>>789241
What's everyone's favorite recipes? Personally I just fry bluegill and bass. Bread and deep fry cat.

What's your favorite?
>>
>>789282
Not really. When I do it's usually a rattling crank, a spinner with big blades, or a jig if the bottom of where I'm fishing is rocky. I don't ever really use soft plastics unless the water is pretty clear and there's a bit of moon out. I never have luck otherwise.

I've also had some luck with top water stuff. Mostly poppers since I suck at walking the dog and don't have enough confidence to do it in the dark.
>>
>>789286
black sea bass filleted, deboned , rinsed,
Salt, and pepper,
Coated in flour,
Egg and milk wash
Coat in panko , or breadcrumbs, add a bit of garlic powder, and a bit more salt,
Bake at 400 for 20 min
Add a bit of lemon juice as its cooking,
Serve on a bed of rice, ( i like Zatarains New Orleans Style Rice Mix, Creamy Parmesan Personally)
Panko should be nice and crispy , , Though i also like to have some sort of chips, to add a bit more crunch with the fish since im super picky about having a variety of texture,
Strawberries and sugar also go well with black sea bass
>>
File: CACIAQ4UwAQBPxe.jpg (41KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CACIAQ4UwAQBPxe.jpg
41KB, 600x450px
>>788095
So if I were to go to dicks this would be a good choice?

I may pass up on cabelas and go to dicks.

Can anyone explain to me why the handle on the rod in the link is separated like this? I always thought most fishing rods had solid cork handles.

Which is more comfy?

Also is abu rod and cardinal good companies?

What should I read before getting a fishing licence in NJ?

Someone else was saying I need someone to teach me was this memeing or should I really look for lessons?

Any good books?

Do these combos come with fishing line?
>>
File: 1456884696960.jpg (67KB, 1671x1667px) Image search: [Google]
1456884696960.jpg
67KB, 1671x1667px
Fuck, I've been burning through flourocarbon leaders ever since I started fishing this rocky bottom pond. I lost two pieces of tungsten on the first day before I realized what was going on (guess I didn't really fish rocky bottoms before, at least not with bottom contact setups). Ever since then I've just been retying constantly. I haven't lost anything else now, but it's a pain. I need need to buy a big spool of fluoro instead of using premium leader material, I guess.
>>
Took my nofish friend fishing today and the only bites were from mosquitoes.

He got talked into a med/heavy 7' pole with braided line by some happy tackle shop merchant. I mentioned catfishing to him and he said he wanted a catfish pole, so they hooked him up with that. I feel like he could have spent his money better on a nice medium rod. It also made me switch plans for where to go. He did get one bite, but he missed it. It was also my first experience with braid, I found out that you can't cut that shit with a nail clippers, thankfully he had a knife in his tackle box.
>>
>>789316

Split grips are designed to save weight and attract buyers IMO. Shouldn't have an effect on comfort because you shouldn't be holding the rod there anyways.

You don't need to be taught.

Some combos come with line but it is usually crap and should be replaced.

You don't need anyone to teach you.
>>
File: 307952.jpg (110KB, 2560x1024px) Image search: [Google]
307952.jpg
110KB, 2560x1024px
>>789326
Can I spool it myself?

Any knots I need to learn?

Any line types you recommend?

When I go to buy a rod what should I be looking for in terms of fit for me?

Finally any types of kits/hooks/bobbers you would recommend for my first outing?
>>
>>789316

They're separated for balance I think, but not 100% sure.

>Which is more comfy?

Personal preference, but they're about the same to me.

>Also is abu rod and cardinal good companies?

Abu garcia is the bomb

>Someone else was saying I need someone to teach me was this memeing or should I really look for lessons?

It's not hard to teach yourself if you'll research a little and through trial and error. Just look up how to use whatever lures you get on YouTube if you aren't sure.

>Do these combos come with fishing line?

Usually, but the line it comes with is garbage. You'll definitely want to get some new line for it.

>>789325
Medium Heavy da best
>>
What countries make the best fishing supplies?

Are nippon fishing rods folded hundreds of times to catch even the largest fish?
>>
>>789330
Palomar, improved uni, Albright knot, double uni

Berkley trilene and power pro are my go-to lines
>>
>>789330
>Can I spool it myself?
Yes it's really easy
Look up "spooling a spinning reel" on YouTube and watch one of the 5 minute videos and just copy what they do
Again it is very easy

>Any knots I need to learn?
Improved clinch knot

>Any line types you recommend?
Depends on what you're fishing but if you're going for bass and panfish and other freshwater lake shit start out with 8 lbs test monofilament line

>When I go to buy a rod what should I be looking for in terms of fit for me?
Whatever feels good in your hand

>Finally any types of kits/hooks/bobbers you would recommend for my first outing?
Go to your local tackle shop and ask them what to get
The guy at my local tackle shop is super knowledgable about fish in the area and turned me on to some lures that have been really productive for me whereas before I was getting skunked on a regular basis
Now I'm catching big bass every time I go out

If you do not have a local tackle shop even the guy working the outdoors section at Dick's or Wal Mart or wherever you're gonna go should be able to hook you up right
>>
Is there much benefit with using tungsten weights? They're so expensive but if they would help with feeling out the bottom on a Texas rig I think they'd be worth it.
>>
>>789352

They are more sensitive and dense(so they are better for punching cover). I use them because I can't legally use lead here and I do give a shit about loons to some extent.
>>
Anyone have that image of best spinning real combos? I wanna hit up dick's and get my fishing licence and first rod this weekend. Or feel em ip and order one online.

Graphite or fiberglass better for learning on?

Is the Abu Garcia pole >>789316
Posted the best bet? My price range is 80 dollarios max. Rather not spend too much on initial try just in case I hate it.
>>
>>789345
>Go to your local tackle shop and ask them what to get

Or hell, just talk to people who are out there fishing. I don't know many fisherman who don't enjoy talking about fishing with other guys while they're fishing.

Just don't actually get in the way/ask for bait/fish too close.

I'm always willing to share my experiences, especially if I seem to be the only person out catching anything that day. There's plenty of fish for everyone.
>>
>>789357
>Anyone have that image of best spinning real combos? I wanna hit up dick's and get my fishing licence and first rod this weekend. Or feel em ip and order one online.

If you're just getting started then just go to Wal-Mart or your local hardware store and get a $20 dollar spinning combo that feels good in your hands. It'll be more than enough for someone just getting started until you understand what you like/don't like and that way, you haven't invested too much. If you're catching fish, nobody's going to give a shit if your gear cost 10 bucks or 500.

I've been fishing my whole life and the 3 main rods and reels I've been using for 5 years to catch mostly catfish and carp cost a total of $90.

Hell, sometimes I just go out with a line, hook, some splitshots, and find myself a stick and some bugs.
>>
>>789371
On one hand I'm worried about not liking fishing. On the other I want to buy something that isn't complete garbage.

Is 80 bucks too much for beginner?
>>
>>789373
Get a gx2 ugly stik combo.
Perfect for beginners.
Cost $40-50 and you can replace the reel with a more expensive one if you like fishing.
>>
>>789373

That's a question only you can answer, based on your income and habits. How much will you miss that 80 bucks if you only go fishing once or twice?
>>
>>789378
If I get a decent rod even if I fish occasionally I'd be more happy to have something that won't break and will be dependable if the whim ever strikes me.
>>
>>789373
You can spend as much or as little as you like.
Personally of say get a 6'6" medium uglystick and a Shakespeare excursion. Neither are top of the line but both are really good for the money and near bomb proof. Cheap enough to get you In to fishing nice enough to keep you in.
>>
>>789380

There is your answer, and I agree with you on that. It really is something you should determine for yourself though. I recently spent almost $300 on my main bass combo but I'm not going to tell anyone else how much they should spend.
>>
>>789373

Your reel will generally give before the rod does.

I've bought some lame reels, but they were $20 for reel and rod, but even that landed a 30lbs flathead catfish with it no problems. It lasted me over a couple dozen more trips and some heavy abuse before it flat out broke on me.

If you spend at least 30 bucks, you won't be disappointed and even when it breaks down (and all reels will, especially when you're new) then you won't feel as cheated as you would if your more expensive one were to break.

And if you enjoy fishing you *are* going to end up with a second reel and rod.

I use my really old reels and rods to catch panfish and fuck around. Or give them to family, friends, or other beginners who are out fishing.
>>
File: 20150822_123517.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150822_123517.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Who's fishing this weekend?
>>
>>789392

Working this weekend, but next weekend, I'm taking my dad and brother to the coast to really cut their teeth on some salt water fishing.

Wanted to get them out on a boat, but they both get seasick something fierce, so we'll stick to the surf and piers. Going to be strange teaching my dad a thing or two, though. He only ever fishes for bass and crappie.

Can't wait to see their reactions when they pull something they've never seen before out of the water.
>>
Anyone here have a inflatable fishing boat? How is it? I'm afraid a hook or fish will puncture it easily
>>
I've never been a part of these threads but I'm just stopping by to say that furfaggotry triggers me way more than it should.

I thought that I was safe on /out/
>>
>>789441

I thought so too until one of the resident tripfags outed himself. Oh well.
>>
Any tips for fishing grassflats near steinhatchee FL?

So far I've just been paddling out around 1 mile and then just drift along over 2-4 feet deep water throwing topwater, jigs, cut bait, live bait, etc, and am sometimes succesful in getting game fish but 99% of the time I end up with nothing or catfish/shark/stingray.

Aside from the occasional sandy hole the bottom looks exactly the same to me everywhere, how do you know where the fish are hiding? I very rarely see seagulls diving or bait jumping here.
>>
>>789428
>Anyone here have a inflatable fishing boat? How is it? I'm afraid a hook or fish will puncture it easily

I tried one a couple times growing up. They are pretty awful except maybe the big expensive ones. You are right at water level and can't see chit, have no room, can't even kneel much less stand in one. They also lose shape in the sun and the bow tends to overexpand while the rest deflates. Best to just get a canoe.
>>
>>789441
>not wanting a pupper that can fish with you
it gets lonely out on the lake

that said, hows tadpole for fishing lure? I recently saw a rain pond have hundreds of the things swimming around, and they'll probably all die anyway
>>
>>789463
>that said, hows tadpole for fishing lure? I recently saw a rain pond have hundreds of the things swimming around, and they'll probably all die anyway

Seems like it'd be hard to keep them alive long, but worth a try.
>>
>>789395
>something they've never seen before out of the water
The first time I tried surf fishing I caught a fish about a foot long. It wasn't the biggest fish but boy was it fun! It's cool seeing fish you've never seen before
>>
>>789250
Dubs for anon and sir nibblesworth to reunite
>>789392
I'll probably be busy mourning two broken rods
>>
>>789463
You can keep them going as long as you want if they don't turn to frogs first
Keep them airated and cut up some lettuce and freeze it in an ice cube tray. Change the water and give them a lettuce cube every 24 hours and they'll live just fine
>>
>>789357
That Abu is nice.

And I think it's only like $70 right now. Even if you don't stick with it, that's not a huge investment.

And don't listen to the people saying to grab an Ugly Stik GX2 combo. The reels are garbage. If you do enjoy it, you will want a new reel in a month. Just spend the extra $20 now.
>>
>>789463
I have a little tadpole crank bait that's caught me some panfish
>>
Why are spincasts pleb tier? Will I be laughed at for using one at the lake?
>>
>>789550
Only internally. No one will say it but they'll be thinking it. They're shit for several reasons
1: shit casting
You'll never cast a spincast like a spinning or casting reel because first line has to unravel around a big spool front then get through I tiny hole. Imagine if you took a 2500 spinning reel and put an eye guide 1/3 the diameter of the spool less than an inch in front of it and tried casting

2: unreliable
If there is not constant tension on the line the pin on the spool can loose grip on the line, then you'll be cranking and cranking but it will feel like it's in freespool.

3: the drag is shit 9 times out of 10
>>
>>789563
A rod is a rod right?
There's no special snowflake baitcaster rod that wouldn't work with a spincaster right?
>>
>>789550
>Why are spincasts pleb tier?

Because they cast for shit, reel for shit, adjust for drag for shit, and if your line gets tangled on the spool, getting to the line is a bitch and a half. Relatively speaking.

They seem less intimidating than a open face spinning reels because all the moving parts are covered up, but spinning and bait-casting reels aren't that hard to get the hang of, considering their vastly superior performance.

>> Will I be laughed at for using one at the lake?

Nobody will ever say anything. I don't think they think much about it either. I know I don't look to see if the guy next to me is using a $20 dollar or $1000 dollar set up and judge him for it. It's all about who is catching fish.

If you're catching fish, especially when you're catching more than others, they really have no room to talk.

Now if you're out there with a zebco panfish combo, with a wire rig, giant ass bait holder hooks, using worms as bait, claiming you're after bass, and constantly losing tackle to snags and 5 lbs channel cats, THEN I might be convinced that you're either a total newbie, or you were taught wrong (as a joke).
>>
>>789568
Tbqh the last time I took out my Zebco panfish combo I threw on a 1/0 bait holder and 2 nightcrawlers for shits and giggles. Caught a 3lb trophy bullhead on 2lb floro. It felt like landing a tuna. Would recommend
>>
>>789512
How would it compare to the shimano bundle? I keep hearing their feels are good.
>>
>>789591
I used a shimano light combo for a long time until I moved on to a daiwa med and a st croix ultralight.

I liked it but an eyelet broke after a year or so.
>>
>>789566
A baitcasting rod will work just fine with a spincasting reel but the spincasting reel will still be shit.
>>
>>789611
Would setting a hook be easier on a bait caster, especially at very low drag?
>>
>>789634
>very low drag
>good hookset

It's pretty much one or the other. If your drag is set too low you won't get a hookset at all you'll just end up unspooling line when you lift your rod tip.
>>
File: 4chin.jpg (81KB, 500x746px) Image search: [Google]
4chin.jpg
81KB, 500x746px
>>789392
>Air temps in lower 70s all week
>Forecasting 95 Saturday and Sunday

Not me!
>>
Any good Father's Day sales on tackle?
>>
>>789646
Next fishing General pic?
>>
>>789640
I just assumed with a baitcaster yoy could put your fringe over the reel, creating the pressure to set a hook quickly, without fiddling with the gearz
>>
File: whats_her_name.jpg (20KB, 236x340px) Image search: [Google]
whats_her_name.jpg
20KB, 236x340px
>>789653
I hope so. I looked for quite a while to find something that wasn't either staged or exactly like all the others. Not that there's anything wrong with a hot girl fishing salt water in the back of a white self bailing boat but still.

Found another of Pepsi's girl.
>>
>>789591
Those are nice too, the Sellus combo. It's probably a toss up but I like my Abus
>>
>>789591
Also want to add I think that Sedona/Sellus combo is a little bit heavier than the Cardinal STX 30.
>>
>>789646
>>789653
+1 for next pic

>>789654
You can. I just normally reel while I set the hook so I don't.
>>
>>789442
Which one?

>>789392
Will probably take the boat out on Sunday, rain or shine, sick of seeing it in my backyard doing nothing.
>>
File: 18324458.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
18324458.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
NONE OF THESE ARE SIR NIBBLESWORTH
>>
>>789715
Man, I miss crappie.

My one nig I always see at the lake keeps talking about crappie (or crappy as he calls them) and I'm not sure if there really are crappie or if that's what they call the Mayans.

Goin to the top secret bass lake. Will report back.
>>
>>789591
I really like the Shimano Sellus sedano combo

Been fishing one for a couple months now and I feel that I really got a lot for my money
>>
>>789742
Did you get yours for that sale price at Dick's? What was it like $80 or $90? That is a lot for your money because those reels go for $70 all day and the rods are $60.
>>
>being a freshie
>>
>>789758
>tfw the closest lake I fish at is further from my house than the ocean.
>>
File: Heroes_Gone_Fishing_2646.jpg (138KB, 350x257px) Image search: [Google]
Heroes_Gone_Fishing_2646.jpg
138KB, 350x257px
>>789653
>>
>>789760
Why don't you join the salty master race?
>>
>>789742
>>789673
>>789668

Oh I forgot to ask. Do I want one or two piece versions of ABU or Shimano rods?

Asthetically im drawn to the cork handle on shimano combo one piece but whch will be better?
>>
>>789781

The only good thing about two piece rods is that they take up less space. One piece rods are more durable and sensitive.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fuck this rain. Drove to the Boca lake, walked out there, and it started raining after 10min. I waited out the first couple waves but now it's steady and the bugs are awful when it stops.

Of course my raincoat is at home. It's always in my car but I brought it inside to dry last night and now I'm soaked.

>>789781
I prefer one piece, but I drive an SUV so storage and transport isn't an issue.

Are you sure about the cork handle? Because the 1pc Sellus rods I have seen are all the white ones with black foam handles.

>>789778
Because I like fishing with lures and I grew up in the Midwest and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to saltwater.
>>
>>789715
Dubs for sir nibblesworth next time
>>
File: 20160609_171150.jpg (2MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_171150.jpg
2MB, 2048x1350px
GOD I LOVE FROGS
1/3
>>
File: 20160609_170748.jpg (2MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_170748.jpg
2MB, 2048x1350px
>>789858
2/3
>>
File: 20160609_154027.jpg (1MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160609_154027.jpg
1MB, 2048x1350px
>>789859
3/3
And the reason I'm glad I got #40 braid; I had to pull him out of a tree with a branch.
>>
>>789860
The two big ones were over 17 inches and the little one was about 14
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>789781
If you want to piece together a good looking combo with a cork handle for <$100, you could do this combo. Look around online or at different retailers and I bet you could find some sales.

Rod is a Fenwick Eagle. They normally run $60, but Dick's always has a $10 rebate or some other sale on them. Reel is an Abu Cardinal SX which run ~$40 but go on sale for $5-$10 less a lot.

Only thing is when you buy combos instead of getting them seperate, you will normally spend $20+ more.
>>
>>789859
>>789860
Looks bretty gud. Still don't think you had to go #40 but if you can still cast, whatever.

I think I want to do another memecaster soon. A high speed one like 7.3:1 and maybe I will try that #40 since I have so much laying around.
>>
I'm in Knoxville for a week. Hitting the Clinch tomorrow, anyone want to show me some good wading spots? Free weed.
>>
>>789877
I'm down like a clown Charlie Brown. You know where to get any other drugs?
>>
>>789873
20 wasn't near enough, and 30 doesn't sound like enough of an increase. I'm satisfied by how it casts.
>>
Can someone tell me an easy to use semi-beginners rod to get to take with me to college? I'll be freshwater fishing in rivers and lakes.

Also, since I'm a complete nooby (and I apologize for my ignorance), where do I look to find what type of bait to use? My father always used these rubbery worm things (not alive). Again, sorry for being a dumbass.
>>
>>789888
Checked.

I'll post the "Combos under $100". They sell them at tons of retailers and they should all get the job done. $60-$70 will get you something decent.

And the plastic worms work, but it is just one technique for bass. Live bait like nightcrawlers is the easiest to start with.
>>
File: image.jpg (118KB, 1702x630px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118KB, 1702x630px
>>789888
>>789897
Top to bottom, left to right.
1) Abu Garcia Ike 2- $39
2) Quantum Bill Dance- $39
3) Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2- $49
4) Pflueger Trion- $59
5) Bass Pro Tourney Pro- $59
6) Lew's Laser Speed Spool- $59
7) Abu Garcia Cardinal SX- $69
8) Daiwa Revros- $69
9) Mitchell 300- $69
10) Pflueger President- $79
11) Shimano Sedona/Sellus- $89
12) Mitchell 300 Pro- $89
13) Abu Garcia Orra S- $99

Btw, this is 4chan, you don't have to apologize for being a dumbass.
>>
>>789899
Thanks Pepsifriend

I'll look into each of those rods and pick one, but is there REALLY that much of a difference between poles when they're so cheap?

Also appreciate the advice on live bait over plastic.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2308x3370px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2308x3370px
>>789888
Here is anon's brief list of most lures. I also posted my bass kit here >>789244 Fishing for smaller fish like bluegill and crappie will use similar lures but smaller. There are different techniques for everything so you can always ask or Youtube it. Even with a simple soft plastic worm, there are a dozen different ways to rig it and fish them.

If you want to start on lures, I would say get a couple sizes of Rapalas, a couple sizes of inline spinners like Mepps or Rooster Tails, and then some soft plastics and hooks-weights-jigheads to rig them up. White PowerBait curly tail grubs (2" or 3") on a jighead have always been great for me for panfish and bass.
>>
>>789900
>is there really any difference?
Well, if you're just looking for a medium weight lake and river rod, they will all be similar in size. Most of those on the list for $60-$100 will be pretty solid. If you go any cheaper than that, you will want to upgrade soon if you use it a lot. That Ugly Stik GX2 combo for $50 is a popular one, but the reels that come on them are shitty so most people will upgrade the reel shortly after and keep the rod which is decent. For $60+ you should get a rod AND reel that will be trouble free for years.

>one more copypasta
Best bet for fishing lakes and ponds, get yourself a medium weight rod and reel. 6'6" rod with a reel that holds ~150yds of 8lb or 10lb mono. Spool it up with decent 8lb monofilament line, most fishing outlets can do this for you. If you want to fish for more carp or catfish, maybe 10lb line. But 8lb is good for just about anything freshwater. You can still cast panfish lures with it and haul in bigger carp and bass.

Then grab assorted hooks, a couple bobbers, and some split shots. Pliers or a multitool are nice too. Best bet is just running nightcrawlers on a bobber and get comfortable with casting as well as seeing what you catch at these lakes. Then you can start with some lures. Ask what other people are using, or if you are catching crappie, largemouth, whatever, you could ask here for reccommendations or look elsewhere online. Watch youtube vids on how to fish the lures. Find out what works well at your lakes, and just keep going from there.

For a medium weight rod/reel combo (spinning reel of course), you can grab something for $40. But if you think you will really be into it or aren't too strapped for cash, you can buy a combo closer to $75 that will be much nicer and you won't want to replace after a couple months.

They do sell little starter kits with a couple hooks, weights, shitty bobbers, and a lure or two, but it isn't enough go last very long.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>789900
Since I'm posting all my pasta, I'll give you one more if you are looking at lures.

>Crankbaits
So pic related is pretty much 2 of each of the main types of cranks that you will see. Top left are regular diving cranks. I think those will normally run like 6'-10' deep depending on how fast you reel and line and all that shit and then they float to the top when you stop reeling. Top middle is squarebill cranks, they float when not moving but will normally dive 3'-5' when cranked. Top right are the lipless rattlers. They sink when not being reeled, so you keep em suspended by reeling them in and they normally wobble a bit too.

Bottom left is going to be a suspending jerkbait. They dive slightly when reeled, and they just suspend when you stop reeling them. Rapala Husky Jerks and X-Raps are a couple types of these lures.

Bottom middle are floating and shallow diving cranks. The top one is a Bass Pro brand I think and the bottom is an "Original" Rapala. They look real similar to the suspending jerkbaits, but most of the time you see that body shape, it will be floating and shallow diving unless the package specifically says "Suspending" or something similar. Those are a great lure. You crank it a few times, let it stop and suspend a could feet under water, twitch it a couple times, and the fish love to hit them on that pause or as soon as you start moving them after the pause.

And finally, bottom right are some real deep divers. They will normally float when not being reeled, but will shoot down to 8'+ as soon as you start cranking them in.
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 403x657px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 403x657px
>>789900
Glad I found this pic, I was thinking about making my own graphic like this. Shows the different ways you can hook soft plastics.

Don't let me scare you off lures with the live bait comment. It's just easier to learn how to cast and set the hook if you are fishing with a worm and bobber instead of having to worry about snagging $10 lures on rocks and and weeds. But I love fishing with lures over live bait. There's more to it and different challenges. You get to move around and find the fish, and then try to figure out the right lure choice for those fish and conditions.
>>
>>789927
You're a god among men, thanks so much!

Btw I saw you say something about fishing catfish in Florida, what part of Fl you from? I'm in St John's county
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>789937
Broward. I have never really gone for cats since I lived here so no idea what I would even get if I tried.

There are tons of carp in some of the lakes though.
>>
Woohoo my MTB shipped a day early
>>
>>789826
Lures work great in saltwater, though.

Lots of choices of top water, jigs, anything. Get some Spooks and Gulp! white shrimp on jig heads and go at it.
>>
Anon probably buying abu rod later this week.

Would it be a bad idea to pick this deal up too for 30?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=78195856#BVRRWidgetID

Or are these rods shit.

Thinking of trying to coax some family/friends into fishing with me and having a couple backup rods.
>>
Furries are awesome
>>
>>789977
Wow slickdeals has a lot of bad reviews for abu vengence.

Lots of people saying they break.

Anyone else have similar problems?
>>
>>789977
ive only ever had positie experienceswith diawa ( iown one reel and have spoken to customer serice multiple times about buying a spare spool, )
>>
>>789882
Negative, I just have a little Cheesequake mixed with some old keef that I brought down with me. Side note, this elevation is paying dividends, I would save a fortune on reefer here. skype at me:iamnotawizard
>>
>>790047
>>789882
Wait, that's not nice.
>>
File: TheFuckWouldIUseHotdogsFor.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
TheFuckWouldIUseHotdogsFor.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
OK /out/ why the fuck do people still use hot dogs and liver for bait when they sell this(pic related).
I have never caught a catfish on liver or hotdogs but everyone i know swears by em'
>>
So other than buying a rod. What will I need to buy to go fishing soon?

Like a general list of tools/items I will need for basic learning.

Any decent premade starter kits?
>>
>>790076
what will you be fishing for?
>>
>>790081
Hmm good question. What is a good place to find out about fish in local area if not at store?

I am in south-central nj near Philly.
>>
>>790085
online forums

social network
>>
>>790085
find a natural resources office and talk to them here in ohio there more than happy to help
>>
>>790076
Get a pair of needlenose pliers and a knife
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-06-10-00-42-16.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-06-10-00-42-16.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
Caught this today on a topwater in my pond.
>>
>>790103
How much line will I need? Do I trim the line every time I fish?

What should I do maintenance wise every time I get back from a trip?
>>
My nofish friend finally caught one, and actually out fished me tonight. My first spot was a bust, so we relocated to a park where I was positive we wouldn't catch anything. We ended up with four 8"-1' catfish. He got three, I only got one.
>>
>>790118
Should buy a 150 yard spool (or 300)
Fill your reel then trim it when needed (when its scuffed up , or has bite marks etc )
>>
>>790118
The fuck are you talking about? All I do after fishing is reorganize my tackle box after it starts to get messy and occasionally re-spool my reel with new line after it starts getting low.

Get some hooks, bobbers, split sinkers and worms. That's all you need to catch fish. Also learn some fishing knots, remember to wet your line before tightening the knot otherwise it won't be very strong.

After that if you're into it, get some lures and learn how to fish them.
>>
>>790138
You shouldn't have to trim it often at all , unless you're fishing in areas with lots of snags and rocks, or fishing for toothy fish like pickerel
>>
>>790127
This board is for discussion, not blogging.
>>
>>790141
>IMPLYING
>>
File: helpme.jpg (61KB, 664x750px) Image search: [Google]
helpme.jpg
61KB, 664x750px
>have used braid for years without any issues aside from beginners mistakes
>within a month both my spin and baitcaster setups got some weird ass knot each developed about 20 metres down the line, so forced to cut it off and start again
>Spin reel does it again so bad I have to cut off all the line, I go buy a new brand and lighter pound of braid
>within a week there's a new fangled quadruple granny/loop knot hybrid halfway down the reel

What the fuck is going on? Nothing on the rods and reels have changed so not sure why it suddenly keeps happening.
>>
>>790060
Because cheap and easy, that's why. When I target catfish, I always make sure to bring hot dogs with me, but seasoned in garlic, curry, cayenne powder and cumin. If that fails I switch over to cut bait, but one of the two usually always produces fish. I even caught a 5lb bass off the bottom with a hot dog mixed with grape jello and garlic.
>>
>>790060
Because catfish will literally eat anything. My wife catches them on hotdogs and my mom used to use pieces of a soap bar, no shit.
>>
>>790262

I just catch panfish wherever I'm using and fish them whole or cut. Why bother buying/hauling around bait when it's just swimming around in front of you, waiting to be caught? Use them whole or cut and you catch the biggest bass and catfish.

And even if you aren't catching bass or catfish, you're at least catching panfish, so there's that.
>>
File: cod.jpg (49KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
cod.jpg
49KB, 540x960px
n ext photo? qt with a cod?
>>
>>790343
No. We need another furry photo for skid.
>>
File: stripper.jpg (72KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
stripper.jpg
72KB, 720x960px
>>790349
no
>>
>>790349
Put your trip back on, Skid.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 236x354px
>>790349
Absolutely not
>>
File: TripfagSkid.jpg (54KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
TripfagSkid.jpg
54KB, 250x250px
>>789884
Still have that shitty haircut, Skidmark?
>>
>>789241
>LAST WEEK IT WAS WEEB
>THIS WEEK ITS FURRY
Pepsifag i am starting to not like you.
>>
>>790383
>saints fan

Poor choice.
>>
>>789286
Any predatory fish, baked fully covered in sea salt (not the fine ground one, the other one, with bigger crystals)
Grilled, cooked, really with seabass, bluefish, gilthead bream, and the likes you really cant go wrong.
>>
>>789286

Breaded and deep fried catfish and pan fried rainbow trout stuffed with onion and garlic.
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 549x733px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 549x733px
>>790380
I may have used that one already.

>>790343
She's wearing too many clothes.

>>790383
It's all by request
>>
>>790390
its northeast in whinter nigga, cant expect grills wearing tanktops, when its snowing
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790391
They need to move somewhere warmer then
>>
>>790392
how you gon catch cod, in florids
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 384x469px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 384x469px
>>790393
That girl with the cod could at least put on some makeup.
>>
>>790394
pretty sure shes a deckhand on a party boat,
>pepsi now prefers weeb shit, and furfagotry to grills with fish
>>
>>790390
>not having enuogh common sense to keep cancer away from glorious fishing threads
its like you want this to become cancer
How long until we get chix with dix

>>790385
Top of the division this year. Cam going down, Falcons gonna falcon, busc... well... busc.
Shame Kikaha is out with ACL.
>>
>>790399
Wrong. The Falcons are gonna have a one loss regular season and then lose by 50pts in the first round. Saints have a 50/50 chance of having their stadium turned into a refugee camp by an up jumped rain shower

I can almost taste it. It's our year.
>>
>>789241
so

for the first time ever I have entered a bass pro shops. this is incredible. I wish we had this where I lived :(
>>
File: bOoAr0Ic.jpg (395KB, 3170x1375px) Image search: [Google]
bOoAr0Ic.jpg
395KB, 3170x1375px
>>789711
>Will probably take the boat out on Sunday,

What kind of vessel you got?

pic related is mine
>>
>>790429
And they still don't have exactly what I want most of the time...
>>
nice canoe man, prefect for all the lil lakes around my neck, gotta keep my eyes open for one on cheap.
>>
turns out my fishing pack only weighs 10-12 lbs, with 4 3600 boxes packed, and about 30 bags of soft plastic, , Water i bring with me probably adds a few pounds but its better thn i thought
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790449
I want to weigh mine. It has to be like 25lbs. 5x3700 boxes plus a ton of other shit in there. There is also a little Maglite and headlamp and a can of bug spray in the thing. And I keep buying more of those damn 1/2oz bullet weights which make my bag like 0.4lb heavier with each pack.

Shit sucks when it is hot and humid and I'm all sweaty and the strap digs into my shoulder and neck. Next time I'm near the Gander Mtn, I'm going to get that little bag they have. I was thinking about a Plano Weekender, but I really don't want a 3600 as a walkin around bag.
>>
>>790451
i just cleaned out all my saltwater shit, so that probably took out 2-4 pounds ,
>>
Abu Garcia Blue Max combos are on sale at academy, should I cop? I'd be using it mainly for freshwater since I don't want to look like a tool fishing for bass and panfish with my 10ft saltwater rods.
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_772053_-1?cm_mmc=pla-_-Fishing+Rod+Reel+Combos+Spinning+Combos-_-Google-_-Abu+Garcia+Blue+Max+6+6+M+Freshwater/Saltwater+Spinning+Combo&sku=023778848&gclid=CLLOxqyVns0CFQYuaQodI3YM8Q&kwid=productads-adid%5E97091870238-device%5Em-plaid%5E124668725358-sku%5E023778848-adType%5EPLA
>>
>>790465
How does this compare to the Vegeance/Cardinal SX20 combo?
>>
>>790315
That's exactly what I do brother. But catching panfish is so piss easy that I get absolutely no enjoyment from it anymore.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 633x738px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 633x738px
I've spent too much on fishing shit lately. This is what I'm still waiting to receive:
>hip boots for them trout
>6 Yo-Zuri 3" pins minnows for trout. Haven't used them but supposedly they're good. I'll be giving two to my dad for Father's Day if they get here by then
>Yo-Zuri 4.5" crystal minnow
>Mepps Musky Killer silver
>Cabelas tackle bag
>Daiwa Laguna 7' med heavy spinning rod for northern pike

Buying fishing shit is addicting. I still want some walleye jig heads and a few more cranks.
>>
>>790470
You aren't catching big enough panfish, or aren't eating them or something
>>
>>790467
I'm not sure, it seems to be a step below their Black Max line tho
>>
>>790451
That sounds like entirely too much shit. I just have a little old tool box my shit goes in. Hooks are sorted by type (treble, bait, etc) in old little mayo jars. Then I have a spool of whatever line I'm using that day and then all my lures on top with my pliers. All told it probably weighs 5 lbs and most of that is the various sinkers.

My setup is pretty old man tier.
>>
>>790467
That Cardinal STX is quite a bit nicer

~Pepsi
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>790493
I don't even have a super recent pic abd it is always growing. It should be a "boat bag" at this point.
>>
>>790496
That a hell of a collection. For bass mostly? What are your favorites? Colors?

I remember the buzzbait meme around 15 years ago. Is that still a meme?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790500
Never been a big fan of buzzbaits. Always loved Mepps with the brown skirt. And it's all bass and panfish stuff.
>>
>>790496
Personally I'd cut it down to the top 3 lures that work for w/e fish you plan on catching and leave the rest in the car. Then some sinkers, spare line, and w/e tools you need and your weight should drop nicely.

Just gotta tailor your kit for what you're going for.
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 640x1136px
>>790507
That's what I plan on doing when I grab that Gander Mtn bag
>>
OH BOY MTB AND LTB SHIPPIN

R U READY

why dont we ever have a /fishing tackle thread/ mtb/ltb challenge like they have on youtube. KVD make it happen
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790516
I could do a tackle thread but I stopped getting MTB after the 3 months anyway. I have too much shit and don't need more that I won't use.
>>
>implying pepsifag isn't a furry instead of skid

Pepsifag wishes he was visited a muscular homosexual fox in his sleep.
>>
>>790537
why are you still shitting up the thread with this? back to fishin damn it.
>>
>>790349
We do?
>>790399
>Implying 4chan isn't one of the biggest cancerous toumers on the internet
>>790516
Seconded
>>790545
Seconded
I'm not here for furry shit I'm here for fishing shit
>>
I just bought a Shimano Catana FC 2500 for 30$, did I fuck up? Or did I get a deal as I thought when I bought it.
>>
>>790576
You got a really good deal

You did good
>>
>>790576
Aren't those normally ~$50? Not bad.
>>
File: 20130629_101052.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20130629_101052.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
Q for the guys with the lure suitcases.... Do you actually take all of that out on the water at once? What % of the stuff do you actually use on a given trip? And what conditions are you expecting that are so variable it takes 300 lures to cover them?

I've started store most stuff at home and for each trip I ust pack a kit with the lures I'm likely to need. Saves a lot of room in the boat and time spent digging through lures. pic related is my camping trip fishing kit. For actual fishing trips I take a slightly bigger one but it's still just a single tray with maybe a dozen lures. I fill it with what I know will be my go-tos for the day and add some experimental ones too.
>>
That store that is getting rid of all their fishing shit still had some for 50% off, so I got 8 packs of those berkley hooks in 3/0, 3 in 5/0, and 4 gamukatsu 4/0s. Also, picked up like 6 bags of soft plastics, and 3 red eye shads for just over $40
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790603
For me?

I'm mostly just impatient. I have mostly been using soft plastics lately anyway. The bag isn't that big, it's just heavy because it is crammed to the max. Which is why I want a second smaller one.

I have a small box that I can stick in my back pocket and it has 6 slots. Sometimes if I know I'm going to be walking a lot, I will take that and two rods. Can't really fit fresh soft plastics or full size spinnerbaits in it though. Even larger cranks won't fit.

With all that said, I can pull my car up close to a lot of the lakes I fish. I carry the bag 50', set it on the shoreline near my car, and walk along the shoreline. Sometimes the bag is sitting halfway across the lake from me.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790604
Dank.

>>790603
Was gonna say, that pic you posted is really close to what my go-to box would be. Just needs a few soft-plastics. I like that spinnerbait on the bottom right.

A lot of times I barely even open my tackle bag because I bring a handful of rods. Lately it has been the 2 baitcasters with different soft plastics on them, then one reel will have an inline spinner, another with a big spinnerbait, and one more with a crankbait. If the conditions are right, I might put a topwater on one of the baitcasters.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790555
>>790516
So do you guys really want a separate thread for tackle? Because I will feel bad doing a "Fishing Tackle Thread" when this one is the "Fishing & Tackle Thread".

I guess we could do one just to brag about the new hooks we just bought and another for fishing advice, techniques, and blogging. But despite being fast by /out/ standards, it's not like this thread is too fast where you can't keep up with stuff.
>>
>>790615
I don't think it'd be necessary and then I'd have to browse TWO whole threads to read basically the same thing.
>>
>>790615
No dude
>>
>>790603
A lot of my fishing trips are two days plus, and I like to have all my shit. I've also got a bolt so there's minimal carrying. When I go trout fishing I just bring 3-5 lures.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>790621
>>790623
I agree.

If somebody really wants to make a thread for LTB and MTB when they start showing up, go for it and hope it doesn't get reported for shillery.

>>790624
Just took this pic. This would be my "Saturday of Pond Hopping" setup. Also kinda shows what all is crammed into that tackle bag which makes it so heavy.

I keep thinking about one of those bait binders for the soft plastics, but it doesn't look like it will be any better unless I just put a couple of each soft plastic bait into the sleeves. I'm not trying to do that.
>>
>>790605
>I can pull my car up close to a lot of the lakes I fish. I carry the bag 50', set it on the shoreline near my car, and walk along the shoreline.

you don't fish from a boat?
>>
So I went to dicks today and bought my fishing licence.

Also picked up Abu Garcia Vengeance STX20 combo. 6.6'
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=24020986&clickid=prod_cs&recid=Product_PageElement_product1_rr_1_1356

Ready2Fish 136-Piece 2-Tray Tackle Box
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=67307096

And a 330 6lb reel of Trilene XL Monofilimin
(I thought I was supposed to get 8 but dicks guy recommended this for our area)
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15857186&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792&categoryId=52416466

What else would you guys buy?

Only other fishing related gear I have on hand is a tape measure and a mora knife stainless knife.

Never fished before.

DIcks guy said I should get a lure for bass. He mentioned something about how it was easier than worms or rubber bait since it required less finesse. What are they called? It was like a fake plastic fish with hooks hanging from it.
>>
>>790650
Nah. Maybe one day if I get my finances together I will grab a decent kayak. But I don't forsee getting something with a gas motor anytime soon unless I somehow end up with a little aluminum guy.

Those of you 'yakkers, do any of your states require you to take a boating safety course for the kayaks? I heard Ohio makes you register kayaks so I'm not sure.
>>
>>790654
You did the right thing getting the 6lb for that reel. If you got the STX 30, you could do 8lb or 10lb fine. But the 20 is a little smaller. That's actually a great size for panfish and bass fishing. I like that size.

The lures he was talking about are crankbaits, hard plastic fish with treble hooks.

You should get a pair of pliers. If you go back, I would reccommend exchanging that tackle box for a tackle bag. The box will be fine, but I really like the bags.

And for first lures, I would say get at least one smaller Rapala. Probably just original. You could look for cheaper brands too. Gold is a good all-around color. Maybe around 1/4oz, or you could go a little smaller if you just want to get some bluegill or crappie. You will add more soon. Also a Mepps or Rooster Tail. A 1/8oz one and then a 1/4oz one.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>790654
Get a few rapalas and shallow diving crankbaits. Use these primarily and cast them from shore. You will be catching bass in no time and can decide what to get from there.
>>
File: muhboat1111.jpg (172KB, 976x687px) Image search: [Google]
muhboat1111.jpg
172KB, 976x687px
>>790431
A 12ft Stessl Dinghy, haven't really had a chance to test the trolling motor for a full day, hopefully the wind holds off. Kinda tempted to sell it and get a really nice fishing kayak instead as I don't take the boat /out/ as much as I thought I would.
>>
>>790655
Texas doesn't require it for anything under 15hp, except for sailboats over 14'
>>
>>790654
>>790657
I took a little pic to show a few things that I would reccommend a starter. Some easier stuff to fish with.

From left to right
>Jigheads and curly tail grubs/minnows
Really easy to rig up and hook fish on. 3" Power Bait curly tail grubs in white on a simple jighead are great for crappie and small-medium bass
>inline spinner
Super easy retrieves. Just reel steady and give it some twitches and pauses. Mepps is my favorite brand. Mepps Agila #4 or #5 are good for bass, #1 for panfish. Rooster Tails are a bit cheaper and still work
>Shallow Crankbait
That one is a Rapala X-Rap. It suspends a couple feet below water. Original Rapalas will float when not moving and then dive a couple feet when you reel it. There are also the fatter cranks with the long clear plastic lip and those will dive a bit deeper. They get expensive though, Rapalas are normally $6-$10. Dick's will have some cheaper brands though. Bass Pro has a good selection of store-brand cranks for like half the price and they work. Might save you some money and frustration when you lose them.
>Bullet Weights and Offset Worm Hooks
You can use these for all the soft plastics (Texas Rig). That takes some finesse and technique, but Miami anon is doing well with plastic worms on them after only a few weeks. You can also rig them weedless as opposed to the jigheads. For the bullet weights, I'm thinking 3/16oz or 1/4oz would be good on the 6lb line. And the worm hooks, there are regular ones with a straight shank or EWG (extra wide gap) like in the pic. I like the EWG in #3 for the Zoom 6" lizards and stuff but it really depends what soft plastic you go with.

Btw, I took a better look at that tackle box you got. I'm normally not a fan of those starter kits, but it was cheap so w/e. I still think you should do a tackle bag eventually. At least that kit has some hooks and swivels. No offset worm hooks though which are the way to go for the couple worms it has in it.
>>
>>790665

I remember this boat. We have the same fish finder.

I would never trade that for a kayak. Too many big lakes to explore here to be limited like that.
>>
>>790668
>>790654
Fuck, it finally uploaded when I tried it without the pic.

I also posted that "KVD Bass Essentials" pic earlier and that has pretty much one of everything you could try for bass.
>>
>>790668
>>790657
>>790657
Shit should I have gotten the stx30 version? It was 7ft and the dude in thread recommended I get a 6.6 rod.

I am only 5'7" though.

What size hooks?

What would you recommend for my first outing/first time fishing ever? I have no friends that fish so I will be on my own. ATM I am still shakey on some stuff.
>>
>>790674
Like how would you set up your line?

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishplc.htm#burlington

This is the fish in my area. What would you shoot for?
>>
File: fish finder.jpg (87KB, 930x764px) Image search: [Google]
fish finder.jpg
87KB, 930x764px
>>790669
Kayak just seems a bit more convenient if you mostly fish alone, that and I suck at reversing with trailers. What do you use to power your finder? Bought a cheapo motorcycle battery on ebay and use that, get about 8 hours use before it goes flat.
>>
File: 20160610_211431.jpg (692KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160610_211431.jpg
692KB, 2048x1350px
>>790670
Pepsi buy me things
>>
>>790676
FUck that is the wrong link and I lost the other one.

http://www.fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/delaware.html

Heres the river down the street from me.
>>
Anyone fish(freshwater) on a kayak?
What stuff is important to have for a fishing kayak? A live well to hold fish, and anchor I assume.
I'm looking to buy one for around $ 400 - $ 500 any suggestions on what kayak to buy?
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here is the pic finally to go with >>790668

>>790674
Nah, I actually like that 20 size. It will be easier to cast 1/8oz lures like smaller Rapalas and Rooster Tails.

And the offset worm hooks depend on the bait. They are cheap, like $2.50 for a pack of 5 Eagle Claw ones at Walmart. I always like the "wide gap" (EWG) and size 2/0 or 3/0 for most worms, and 4/0 is good for the Zoom Super Flukes and stuff like that. I think 3/0 EWG's will work for a lot.

First time out, if you want to do lures, I would reccommend an inline spinner like a Rooster Tail or a jighead with one of those curly tail grubs in your kit. Smaller ones so maybe you can get some bluegill or crappie and at least work on setting the hook and all that.
>>
>>790689
So you recommend I grab some worms and hooks and one of those cheap jigs?

Or are you saying the jig is fine?

Real or rubber worms?

How many weights do I need?

Sorry for all the questions. ;_; Maybe I should read fishing for dummies.
>>
>>790684
Mepps Agila #2 mang.

And make sure you get some needle nose pliers before you go.
>>
>>790693
So do you want to try lures right away? Or go with live bait? It's really not much of a learning curve to do lures at first. K taught Miami anon, her BF, and my lil bro how to fish with lures.
>>
Hitting up Rock Creek, Montana tomorrow. Salmonflies are reportedly still swarming. I'll try to remember to come back with a report and pics.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>790688
You may want to stretch your budget a little bit higher if you want to do a halfway decent fishing kayak. They seem to start closer to $700, while you can get a non-fishing one for $400-$500. At least that's what it seems like with the few I have been browsing.

>>790693
Just FYI, jigs and jigheads are different. Jigheads are those little hooks woth the weighted head you got in that tackle box kit. You can rig them through anything, but I really like em with curly tail grubs. The two orange things on the left I posted here >>790689. PowerBait makes white ones that are GOAT.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 259x194px
How do I into catfish fishing? Just put some bait on a 6 hook along with an oz weight and cast it in the river? What should I use for bait? How far up from the hook should I put the bait?
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 585x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 585x545px
>>790721
Look up "Dip Bait" and the rigs for them. Best catfishing method I have used.

>>790693
If you do go with nightcrawlers, "A" is the basic way to do it.
>>
>>790716

>You may want to stretch your budget a little bit higher if you want to do a halfway decent fishing kayak. They seem to start closer to $700, while you can get a non-fishing one for $400-$500.

As someone who owns a Feelfree Lure, I don't agree with that at all. Sure "fishing" kayaks are nice but they have their downsides. Many are heavy and slow as shit. Unless you are bringing more than an average/small bag of tackle and 2 rods than a basic kayak is all you need. You can add the flush rod holders for cheap to something lower end that doesn't already have them. If you are going to splurge on a fishing kayak I wouldn't bother getting anything less than a peddle drive.
>>
>>790721
Catfish eat almost anything. Something I'm trying is cut up hotdog, soaked in fruit punch koolaid, and minced garlic. The smell attracts them.

That being said, if you do this, choose a thick container to make it in, or at least a freezer bag.
I did this in a thin sandwich bag, and the smell is all over my fridge now.

As for hooks, try using ones with smaller barbs on the shaft, to help hold the bait in place. Also, put the hook through the skin, so it stays in place better.

Find a lake, or a reservoir rather than a river. Moving water may make it harder to tell if a cat is on the line, since they're sneaky and will try to steal your bait.
>>
>>790615
Please don't. We don't catch enough "Pepsi approved" fish to fill a thread
>>
>>790700
Im asking you what you would suggest I use first?

I wanna keep things simple for my first trip since I will probably fuck other things up too.
>>
>>790716
>>790724
I just realized I was using the word JIG for crankbait.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 464x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 464x470px
>>790734
You mean you don't have enough Mepps to make a whole thread? I might be able to get it halfway.

>>790735
Idk, I just enjoy fishing with lures so much that my heart says go out there with a Rooster Tail and just cast around for a couple hours.

But nightcrawlers are the old standby. Rig them like that pic I posted since that kit probably has bobbers and split shots. learn when to set the hook with that. You want to wait for the bobber to really go down then give the rod a little jerk to hook the fish. Then if you find a spot where you are having luck with the worms, you could try out some of those lures there.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x482px
Look what I found earlier at my secret bass spot
>>
>>790742
Noice, always a bonus finding lures.
>>
>>790741
Thanks for advice.

I hate to ask this but if you were to make a shopping list of the things you recommend I buy from this point onward what would be on it. A short list.

I have pliers already and a multitool.

When you say nightcrawlers do you mean live ones or plastic ones?
>>
>>790745
I'm saying live nightcrawlers with a bobber.

The soft plastic worms, I like to run those with a "Texas Rig" using the offset worm hooks and bullet weights I posted earlier in that pic.

And I don't want to make much of a list until you start catching some stuff and find your little fishing holes. A Mepps (#1 or #2) and 2"-3" long Rapala would be good first lures though. They are both pretty simple to use and will catch any predator fish that can fit them in their mouths.

Also my list of a couple good starter things is basically here:
>>790668
>>790689 (pic for previous post)
>>
>>790743
Bet they didn't catch shit with it though

The bass there will only hit lizards in watermelon seed/baby bass/all the darker green colors, maybe a senko worm in some of the more lifelike colors

You really have to match what they're actually feeding on in that particular pond

Maybe if you went at the crack of dawn or late evening they'd hit a beetlespin if you put it right in front of their face
>>
>>790742
I guess it's not that secret if you found someone else's tackle, dumbass
>>
File: image.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>790753
Those beetle spins are great for crappie. But ever since seeing the underspins, I use those a lot more.

>>790745
Pic related shows how the jig heads and grubs go together.
>>
File: IMG_20160610_232538.jpg (2MB, 2048x1551px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_232538.jpg
2MB, 2048x1551px
Mystery tackle box sent me a bait ball! Glad i got a jerkbait instead of a crank. Too weedy for most cranks here
>>
>>790764
What is a good thing to catch with that combo? I have some similar looking grubs that came with this kit.
>>
>>790766
Is this some human centepede shit?
>>
>>790766
I really wanted to try those for awhile. And I think Dick's just recently had them for cheap (2 for $20?) but after reading online reviews and looking at them more, I'm not so sure.

Let me know how it works.
>>
>>790762
Rude
>>
>>790382
Haha. Wow. Hopefully he's grown out of that phase.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 520x303px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 520x303px
>>790769
They have lipless and diving ones too. It's just like a regular crankbait but made to look like a school.

>>790767
The small ones are good for bluegill and crappie. Even largemouth. The bigger ones will get bass and anything larger. They love the little tail wobbling around. You can run them fast near the top, slower on the bottom, whatever. My little bro caught his first fish on a 3" curly tail grub with a jig head.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>790767
Sneks will take em too
>>
>>790753
Never been Bass fishing but I'm skeptical on the colour theory, caught fish on every lure colour under the sun, it seems more like right place right time than colour.
>>
>>790781
When did you go to Australia
>>
>>790788
Eh depends on water clarity and pressure too. If it's really clear or really pressured fish may only want to hit the natural colors.

But how you work the lure is more important.
>>
Finally caught my first rainbow trout and it was a beauty. I am gonna eat this guy.
>>
>>790788
I'm a lifelong bass angler and I've always had the most success when I am able to match what they're actually feeding on in terms of size and color especially during the hotter months
Now that it's getting hot out I stick to greens and blacks
Not saying that other colors won't produce just what has been the most productive for me

Early morning and late evening have a lot more variability as that's when the bass will generally take anything nearby but when it's hot as fuck out I firmly believe that color matters
>>
>>790788
>>790798
Also this >>790792

The current spots I've been fishing are really clear so natural colors work better

In muddy or tannic water I would go with the brighter shit
>>
DOA vs Zoom

Which one is better
>>
>>790776
>Implying that's even me
I've not had long hair in over a year, I'm not thin, when I did have long hair it was combed back, I never needed/had glasses, I've not got an ar15.
>>
>>790803
The only soft plastics I fish are Zoom and Gary Yamamoto
>>
Babeh
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc9_1465577043
>>
So what are swivel/snaps used for with fishing?

Do you need to use one while using those shallow diving crank lures?

What about those spinning ones you posted early?

Guessing hooks and jigheads are tied directlyt hough.

If regular hooks are no good for worms what do you put on them?
>>
>>790834
Spinner baits need to be TIED on

Same with crankbaits

Use offset shank hooks for worms
>>
>>790834
People are under the impression that they stop lines twisting, which they don't. Snap swivels are great for swapping rigs quickly but that's about it. As for using them with lures the only benefit I can see is to add a bit of extra weight to a small very lightweight lure, they generally fuck with the action on Medium/Large lures. Use something like the Perfection Loop or a Uni knot instead with all Lures.
>>
File: 84cm-Snapper[1].jpg (182KB, 530x333px) Image search: [Google]
84cm-Snapper[1].jpg
182KB, 530x333px
>>790343
>that
>qt
>>
>>790885

>turd eyes/hair, plucked eyebrows and olive skin
>qt
>>
File: ChloeTaylorSheFishesGoldenFB1.jpg (105KB, 943x638px) Image search: [Google]
ChloeTaylorSheFishesGoldenFB1.jpg
105KB, 943x638px
>>790902
Fuccboi detected
>>
>>790903

>fuccbois dislike generic stacies with inferior hair/eye/skin tones

I guess I am a fuccboi then
>>
File: leslie_nielsen_420-420x0[1].jpg (47KB, 420x551px) Image search: [Google]
leslie_nielsen_420-420x0[1].jpg
47KB, 420x551px
https://youtu.be/JogttpcKFIA
>>
>>790597
Good to know. I was wondering if it's any good. But probably better than what I have now atleast and that's what matters for me.
>>
>>790990
Yes it's good

Shimano is a good company that makes quality reels and the 2500 size is perfect when mated with a 6'6" medium rod
>>
>>790684
>>790676
Anon you're in my area. Meet up when??

If you wanna fish the crosswicks watershed and the tributaries, it's pretty good fishing. We've got some of the best lake spots for pike and bass within 30 minutes. period.
>>
>>790794
Get ready to get shit on.
>>
>>791016
Not necessarily. That big bass was different. Everything around here is so overfished that there would be no fish left if people ate everything. Plus largemouth aren't the beat eating fish, better to throw them back so you can have more game fish to catch when you are just trying to have fun. And 4lb+ bass are so rare with everything being overfished, and this can throw off the balance in lakes and lead to a lake populated with solely bluegill and 12" largemouth.
>>
File: image.jpg (870KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
870KB, 3264x2448px
>tfw they are right by my house
I need a boat
>>
File: Mullet2.gif (115KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mullet2.gif
115KB, 450x300px
>>791035
Pepsi
Get 40 dollars and go to a place with salt stuff
Then do exactly as I instruct
Buy #3 rigging wire
6/0 octopus circle hooks
Pyramid stinkers about 4 ounces
Big ass swivels
50-80 pound mono
A mullet like pic related
Two things called sand spikes
Get a 1/2-3/4 ounce bucktail jig
some 4 inch gulp swimming mullet
Some #2 baitholder hooks

Now go home and tie some rigs
Look up the haywire twist
Tie steel leaders with s hook about 5 inches long swivel at one end hook at the other
Then go to your heaviest rod
Tie a shock leader on
Then slip on the weight, a bead, then tie the rig. Grab your mullet, a knife, and your sand spike and find some water
Cut the mullet into bait, I like to filet them, then cut those into strips and use the strips, or steak them and use those. Dig your sand spike into the sand and bait up. Cast as far as you can, set the drag just tight enough to fight the waves, then go to your next rod
I'd say a heavy bass combo
Get some#20 mono or flouro and tie a loop at the end
Then about a foot up tie a dropper loop
Put the jig at the bottom and a hook on the loop.
Swimming mullet on each and fish that while you wait on the big rod
>>
>>791067
I don't think I can but a boat for $40
>>
>>791069
That doesn't sound like doing exactly what I said

Forget the boat
Do that
>>
>>790834

>>790862
>People are under the impression that they stop lines twisting, which they don't.

Not on the reel end. On the terminal tackle end, especially when using a leader, they let it spin independent of the main line.

When you have a big fish rolling over at the end of your line (especially big catfish), they spin with it.

They also serve as a stop for your weights and attachment point for snelled/wire leaders in various rigs. And I use snaps to attach weights to sink sliders in fish finder rigs.

Overall, not much use in lure or bass fishing, but if you're bottom fishing, good barrel swivels and snaps are fairly important to have.
>>
>>790908
x2
>>
File: 302xkeu.jpg (277KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
302xkeu.jpg
277KB, 1600x900px
>>790678
>What do you use to power your finder?

12v 7AH SLA battery

https://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Lead-Battery-Piranha-Finder/dp/B006LO9XHA

Went about 40 hours before I recharged the first time. I just use my trolling motor battery charger on it.

Pic from today. Active fish pretty much everywhere in the lake. .
>>
I think I just saw some old lady die while leaving the fishin hole. That was fun.

Caught a baby 8" largemouth but gonna go home and go back later this afternoon.
>>
Yesterday i decided i was going to go hit a new ( ish) pondto me, in my kayak, try for bass and a special species thats pretty uncommon in my state, Checked weather and saw it was going to be sunny, Woke up this morning and its raining Fuk
>>
I found a fly shop 45 minutes away from me. Should I check it out? Its too hot to fish.
>>
>>791128
>too hot to fish
Skid pls

If it's too hot to fish in normal clothes, how do you manage to have sex in a fursuit? Or are you a bottom so not much work is involved?
>>
>>791130
Bottom, I don't even own a fursuit and refuse to have sex in one, and it's 93+ ° out. I'm not standing in that shit. A 40 mph wind on a motorcycle will make it tolerable but I want to be inside
>>
>>791127
What's the special species?
>>
File: image.jpg (779KB, 2048x1652px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
779KB, 2048x1652px
So today's MTB was cool.

>The crank on the left is basically a soft plastic crank
>On of dem bait ball cranks
>I'd been wanting to try one of those vibragrubs
>craws are always good to have.
>>
File: image.jpg (966KB, 2048x1876px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
966KB, 2048x1876px
>>791140
LTB was cool too

I think the double underspin thing will do work.

>That jig has two hooks like on a frog
>top water¿ jerk
>biwaa swimbaits
>some craw lookin jig trailer
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>791140
That soft crank is crazy.

And you got the diving baitball where other on got the long one. Let me know how it works.

They sent me a couple of those hooks in the past too and they don't seem like anything special. I like when they send Mustads better.
>>
>>791067
You lost him at "salt"
>>
>>791143
>diving baitball
I think it'll work pretty decent in clearish water

I'm pumped about that soft crank though. I hope it has a decent action.

Those Diachi hooks seem to be thinner than most other hooks. I ain't gonna complain about free hooks though
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is kinda cool I guess.. But it seems pretty gimmicky. Like looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
>>
>>791135
Just walleye, thetes maybe only a dozen or so lakes that habe them in it,
>>791140
i almost bought one of those soft cranks, theyre pretty cheap iirc, The vibragrubs work alright in the large size but the smaller size not so much unless youre working them fast

alswo thed doube underspin in the ltb you got work pretty well especially for smaller stuff
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>791148
That's what I was gonna say. They are close to the cheaper Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp ones. Nowhere close to Gamakatsu hooks. The Trokar ones I have are so thick, but they are expensive.

I don't really mind the thinner hooks though. Sometimes if I snag a rock or something, I can bend the hook off. And I have never lost a fish because the hook was too think.

I think the Gamakatsu hook gauge is my favorite though. Thick enough to have confidence in but nothing crazy.

Not sure how this uploads, but first red is Daichi, then Eagle Claw, Gamakatsu, and then Trokar.
>>
>>791158
the gamakatsus are perf imho, strong enough and usually crazy sharp, But thin enough if i need to bend one out with 15 lb braid, i usualy can
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>791153
That's crazy. Looks like more shit to snag up though. I think LTB and MTB send out a lot of stuff that is either brand new or didn't sell great and is on clearance. Also smaller brands. That's how they can do it for so cheap.

And pic here is the hooks with a Mustad added. Those are beefy
>>
>>791157
The bait card says the soft cranks are only $3. I've seen some huge vibragrubs at cabelas I've wanted to get just for the hell of it.

I think the double underspin will work pretty good where I fish
>>
>>791170
yeah, i litterally forgot to add one to cart, and thenn didnt want to hae to make a different order for one item, Keep updated on how it works, and holds up,
>>
>>791158
I've read that thinner hooks puncture easier since there's less surface area. I don't think it would really make much of a difference for bass though.

>>791165
Guess we'll find out. I think it'll be attractive to bigger bass if I can rig two trailers.

>I think LTB and MTB send out a lot of stuff that is either brand new or didn't sell great and is on clearance

Most likely. I'm sure it's hard to start selling a new style of lure without being endorsed by a pro or having solid marketing.

>>791172
Will do
>>
File: image.jpg (986KB, 3264x1807px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
986KB, 3264x1807px
>>791175
The clearance stuff seems to be in a lot of boxes though. Soft plastics will often be from smaller brands trying to grow. But the other shit I always seem to see in stores on clearance afterwards. Those BaitBalls all got redesigned so those were on clearance. And I got some strange Booyah spinner rig that was on clearance in stores too.

>tfw 9,000,000 hrs in paint
>>
>>791182
I've noticed that too. I meant that the reason they don't sell well in stores isn't necessarily cause they don't work, just they don't get popular for whatever reason. Either way I like having something that isn't a popular lure because they tend to work better in pressured areas.
>>
>>791182
I was at bass pro and saw a bunch of the squarebill baitballs in clearance. It just seems gimmicky to me. If it sold at 8.99 or even $10 at launch I might have considered it, but $15 for one squarebill seems like too much.
>>
Thinkin about updating the starter lure deal. Can anybody think of anything else to add? I really wanted to include some of the soft plastics with the weights and hooks.

>>791198
For the LiveTargets?

I agree. Dick's has them on sale for cheap quite a bit. I have a couple lipless rattlers I got 2 for $10 or something cheap, and one of their weedless frogs. And like I said, I thought the BaitBalls looked awesome the first couple times I saw them but didn't want to pay $19ea. And after reading up, I don't think they are quite as special. Lots of people say the lips break off. I don't even really want them anymore unless they go for really cheap.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>791205
Fuck, forgot pic.

Anything I should add?
>>
>>791206
something really small, Like trout magnet, I cant count the number of times where nothing is biting and ip ut something tiny on , to catch a ton of fish ( even if small )
>>
File: image.jpg (259KB, 640x982px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
259KB, 640x982px
Peps this nig catches peacocks all the time. Y u so bad

>>791198
I probably wouldn't have bought a crank version at a store. I feel like the jekbait would be a lot more effective.
>>
>>791214
I was mostly thinking of keeping it for bass. Because panfish like bluegill, crappie, and perch are going to be pretty much the same but smaller.

I tried to think about that with the jigheads, underspins, and curly tail grubs. I guess I could add a beetle spin and another small plastic
>>
>>791219
ie caught bass up to 3.5 lbs on a 1/64th ounce trout magnet, and tons of bass .5-1.5 lbs preassured fish eat small
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>791218
The few lakes where I know they have peacocks, the water is crystal fucking clear and they are those man-made lakes with the steep dropoffs.

>>791220
Here
>>
>>791228
perfect, maybe also add a senko wacky rigged
>>
What is with all this massive tackle? Recommending medium and medium heavy with double digit pound tests for new comers? Catching bluegill under a bobber sure is fun with that setup!

Does anyone fish Ultra light anymore? It seems my brother and I are the only ones fishing Ultra lights. I never use anything over an 1/8th ounce anymore. 1/16th are my usual jig heads and inline spinners are 1/16 to 1/24, occasionally a 1/32. 4 pound test mono on a Shimano symetre 1500 and a 7 foot 6 bass pro fiberglass ultralight. Fucking fiberglass man.

Whatever happened to the days of simplicity and light tackle? Shits getting to technical. I'm catching more fish than the guys fishing 4 rods with a Texas rig one, a Carolina rig one, top water, and a drop shot rig, and all I've got is a UL with 4 pound test and a L with 8 pound test. Both with twister tail grubs, 2 inch and 5 inch respectively. The other day fishing along the Cleveland shoreline I caught a smallmouth, a few largemouth, a whitebass, a plethora of rock bass, and a juvenile pike on nothing but grubs. My brother caught a similar variety but no pike and instead had a few freshwater drum.

If you're getting skunked a lot you need to downsize your equipment. Big lures catch big fish, small lures catch small fish and big fish. 4 pound test is more than enough for most freshwater fishing you'll do as long as you know how to fight a fish and have the drag low.

On another note, does anyone fish barbless hooks only or am I autistic? I debarb all my hooks and if I take people with me I make them debarb theirs too. I catch and release though so obviously barbless is best.

>I need to stop leaving my phone in the car and actually take pictures of these fish when I go fishing
>>
>>791232
When you wacky rig them, do you use those little band weights? I never really use the wacky rigs but was looking into it and wasn't sure how to weight them and hook em exactly.
>>
>>791235
i dont, i normally just hook throught he middle of the worm, causes them to break prety easily but im too cheap to buy those o rings , Though i saw one company genius enough to add some sort of cloth material into the middle of their worm for wacky rigging
>>
>>791235
>>791236
also no weight on mine, Toss it close to cover, slow controled fall, Then twitch it up a bit,l et it fall again twitch it up a foot or two, let it fall, They normally bite on the fall
>>
>>791233
I used to always run a UL with 4lb mono when I was in IL. But I switched it up to braid so now running the Sienna 500 with #6 braid and a couple other smaller combos with #10. Just gives me some extra confidence with weeds. And I have lots of spots that I always have to pull bass and lures through heavy weed cover to get them to shore. Plus I have to fish deep with the sun and heat, which means heavier line and 1/2oz+ weight.

Anyway, I always reccommend newcomers go with a medium-weight rod with 6lb-10lb line depending what they are fishing. A 3000 size reel with 8lb mono is great for anything from bluegill to the occaisional carp or channel cat.

And with the lures, the "KVD Bass Essentials" is made to show pretty much one of each for every situation. But when I'm telling people to get their first couple lures, I say a Rapala and a Mepps. That's all I used for the longest time but finnicky fish in the heat mean lots of different setups.
>>
>>791238
This one here almost acts like a wacky rig. It's real interesting to watch in the water
>>
>>791239
thats how my ultralight is, 4 lb mono on one spool for trout, and 15 lb braid on a seperate spool with 15 lb flouro leader, for bass, and pickerel
>>
>>791233
I don't think I've ever seen anyone recommend more than 8lb mono for starters.

And if you wanna run anything through heavy cover without losing lures you can't strictly use an ultralight. Hell I wouldn't even want to use one for anything on the bottom cause I know I'd lose lures all day.

Also, if you fish deep water having a rod the can throw heavy lures in a huge advantage. Personally I like my MH rod the best. 3-4 pound bass still put up a decent fight on it, and I can throw lures that are more prone to catching big fish.

That being said, I do have an UL and it's definitely fun, but I don't think I'd want to fish it all day, everyday.

>I'm catching more fish than the guys fishing 4 rods

Technique will always be more important than gear. But having gear tailored to specific techniques is even better.

>On another note, does anyone fish barbless hooks only or am I autistic?
I only do barbless trebles. I've never really had a problem with single hooks.
>>
>>791233
I run UL spooled with 2lb floro. Caught a 3lb catfish on it last month
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>791246
This was where I stopped earlier today. Try that with 4lb mono.

I think I'm gonna go down to one of those peacock lakes in a bit after I grab doges from the groomer. I need to catch one of those fuckers. Even if it is only like 12", I will be stoked.
>>
File: image.jpg (208KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
208KB, 640x1136px
>>791254
>and then the rain comes
All fucking week
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 625x639px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 625x639px
>>791270
Actual pic of Pepsi right now
>>
>>791274
That was the past two days. Just stopped by my house but I'm gonna take a little drive and see how I hold up
>>
Jfc remind me to not go shopping for fishing shit irl, it makes me go full autisim, people wqlking around looking for help , the person helping not knowing shit
Just watched him tell some old guy that braid is bad and thicker than mono, and told him to put 10 pound mono on a 2000, maybe 2500-3k at most size spinning reel for fishing heavy weeds , and cover
>>
>>791095
How good do the colour ones work in full daylight? You can change them to black and white right? Also I've been using the fish option like a pleb, gonna start using it normally so I can find structure and the like.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fucking snakehead right by shore tries to chase my rooster tail every cast but won't grab it

>>791289
Kek
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>791300
Got the fucker!

I think she is preggo. Or eating real well. Def not going back in the water.
>>
>>791302
Cut the stomach open and find out what it's been eating to help you target them in the future, also see of preggo
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>791302
One more for the bump limit
>>
>>791254
I'll fish that with 4 pound mono, but I won't be throwing frogs into the Lilly pads, I'll be swimming grubs parallel to them or along the shore. If I'm throwing into the pads like that I obviously won't be using my 4pound UL.

How many inexperienced anglers are going to be flipping and pitching into Lilly pads like that or fallen trees? How many of them will be bouncing tubes or football jigs along the bottom? The new guy on his first day out won't be doing that, he will be fishing simple lures like grubs and inline spinners or using live bait. And a medium heavy or something like that is, in my opinion, overkill. A light with some solid 6 (maybe 8) pound test is probably the best all around "entry" setup. Light enough action to enjoy small fish yet enough backbone to pull in a 5 pound largemouth.

Also I'm from northern Ohio man, Cleveland area to be precise. The fish in general here tend to be smaller unless you're fishing for steelhead, walleye, or smallmouth and rock bass, those guys get big here.
>>
New thread---

>>791310
>>
>>791228
Wait. There are peacock bass in florida? How and when did that happen??
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 83

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.