[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/frg/ - Field Recording General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 101

File: fieldrec201.jpg (92KB, 590x380px) Image search: [Google]
fieldrec201.jpg
92KB, 590x380px
Over the last year, I've been cultivating an interest in found sound and field recording. It seems like a very /out/ hobby, and I know we have at least one active recordist (MJC Recordings) on this board, so I'm wondering if there are any others, or at least any interested parties. Discuss field recording and the myriad sounds of nature here!

Some basic information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_recording (overview)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioacoustics (more technical, nature-oriented subject)

http://jezrileyfrench-aquietposition.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-idyll-do-we-ever-actually-hear.html#links (a different take on fr and our perception of 'nature' overall from a prolific recordist)

Some work I've compiled:

https://vimeo.com/31758893 (contact mic play)

https://mappa.bandcamp.com/album/34-1113n-111-954w (more work with contact mics, this time a cohesive project! read the description; context is often paramount)

https://jonasgruska.bandcamp.com/album/l-ky (slovakian meadow sounds by one of favorite recordists, based in that area)

https://corwintrails.bandcamp.com/album/selected-field-recordings-from-india-and-nepal-volume-iii-environments (more urban pieces, interspersed with some wild sounds)
>>
>>757496
What's the basic equipment requirements and cost to get started? I've made digicam videos in the dark or on a tripod just to get the sound, but the sound quality with the internal mic understandably sucks, even with my DSLR
>>
>>757496
I'm going to read those links and maybe post tomorrow. I'm interested because I hike and climb alone, and everytime I hear awesome birds and creatures at night. It's a shame I can't share it with anyone else.

Btw, any tips on a really ul starter (even diy) equipement? I keep records in muh journals and drawings, but it could be nice if I could make some sort of decent recordings.

Noice thread btw OP
>>
Excellent idea OP, freddiemercury.png!

i have a ~$40 sony voice recorder that ive used a few times. it has a stereo mic input, and id like to diy a parabolic dish mic since i have access to appropriate tech
>>
>>757499
>>757504

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I've never had enough disposable income to really pursue this interest, so my knowledge is at best spotty. Instead, here are some resources:

guides to recorders, microphones, etc. can be found on the right-hand sidebar of the blog i posted above.

the field recording subreddit can be a useful tool!

jonas gruska, the slovakian recordist i mentioned, does a lot of diy work
(he's also the head of an experimental music label that produces relatively cheap mics)

a project he recommended to me - http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/low-noise-binaural-mics-primo-em172/

Aside from that, use a search engine of your choice! These are just some simple things I've found over the last few years, and shouldn't be treated as anything approaching a comprehensive guide. Sorry I don't have more! The spam filter is working its magic to stop me from linking anything useful.
>>
Field recording is a fun process. I helped this band on with this album recording but the vision and music was all done by the producer. I advised where I could and grabbed a few additional sounds. I recorded and mixed all the on set dialogue. Was the best /out/ sound based mission I ever did!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v4gBaUwQ9fI
>>
File: P_20160221_000732.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160221_000732.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
>>757559

Gonna dump a few pics. Black mamba on my boom pole!
>>
File: P_20151128_113919.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20151128_113919.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>757565

Green Screen whale
>>
File: P_20151118_142306_1_p.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20151118_142306_1_p.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
>>757567

Prepped kit to go out shooting!
>>
File: P_20160205_084128_1_p.jpg (2MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20160205_084128_1_p.jpg
2MB, 2304x4096px
>>757569

Last one hike we did to remote locations this year.
>>
File: parabolly.png (114KB, 241x308px) Image search: [Google]
parabolly.png
114KB, 241x308px
Oh noice thread. Cool gear and pics OP! Nice dead cats you got there too. I don't really use shotgun mics myself (what I do is all about the ambience) but I have one that struggles a bit in the wind. Plus whenever I have a good sound source for it (tried to get a woodpecker the other day) but the time I get it setup it goes away!

>>757499
>>757504
You really just need to get a handheld recorder of some kind, and a windmuff for it. Sony, Tascam, Zoom - all good brands. You just need to think about whether or not you want to plug mics into it or just use the onboard mics, and what kinds of recordings you want. Stereo, mono, focused on a single sound source, ambient, etc. Different kinds of mics have wildly different properties and the same goes with different mic techniques. To get up and running you just need a handheld recorder with built-in mics, to really get serious there's gonna be a lot to learn about along the way.

>>757527
>diy parabolic dish
brah look into squirrel baffles. I made mine out of a squirrel baffle and a lavalier mic, pic related. now the baffle probably won't be perfectly parabolic so once you do the math to find the focus point you're gonna have to tweak it a bit to find the sweetspot. i have an additional reflector at the end because the mic i used is omnidirectional (for various reasons) and that double-reflects sound back to the microphone. it's basically a squirrel baffle, a threaded steel rod, some plastic pipe, a mic hand grip, two large washers and some nuts! like with my shotgun mic, i've found fairly minimal use for it. the sound quality of parabolics isn't that great and my recording opportunities i'd use it for come and go too quickly all the time

>>757565
>>757567
>>757569
>>757571
this shit looks like fun!
>>
File: DSC02237.jpg (277KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02237.jpg
277KB, 864x648px
I've been making nature recordings for a year. Rig (pic related) is just a Sony PCM-D100. My MP3s can be downloaded at
https://archive.org/details/@digrpat#collections
or checkEMout at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX0yi0J0qJx_Z98xWJc9dZg7GgM1jTtwT
this is a super hobby and motivation to go /out/
>>
File: cumpfyrain.gif (3MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
cumpfyrain.gif
3MB, 500x282px
>>757942
can vouch for digrpat. he's got great locations and wildlife
>>
This is a question for MJC specifically, if he comes by here. I've been getting into field recordings (more of a home studio guy) and got myself a DR-40, which I noticed is the same you have. I'm getting really low levels and rather high noise out of it, more than what I find acceptable. Can it really not be ran without external preamps ? If so, do you consider your Fetheads versatile enough ? I've been eyeing them for some time but don't know shit about field amps and PSUs. Would really appreciate your input over this man.
>>
>>758063
Hey brah, MJ here. I'm not quite sure what's going on... few questions I guess...

1. what mics are you using and how are you connecting them to the DR-40?
2. what kind of sound sources are you recording?
3. how do the onboard mics sound in comparison (in terms of signal-to-noise)?
>>
BTW just got back from a failed expedition. There's a really cool stream that runs through the woods, about a 30min huff from my backyard, pretty isolated in the middle of nowhere. It rained today so I thought it'd be a perfect opportunity to use my hydrophones (waterproof contact mics). Figured I'd toss them in one of the pools with water running over the rocks in and out of it and it would be a beautiful sound underwater.

WHELP by the time I got there it was pouring so fucking hard I coudn't unpack my gear because it would have gotten completely wrecked. I waited around a bit and it only rained harder and harder. SO I hooved it all the way back having captured nothing. It was really nice though walking through the cedar forests at dusk in the fog and rain, just wish I'd gotten that recording.
>>758158
>>
>>758158
I've been using a variety of bad and less-bad mics, mostly dynamics, with XLR and TRS. Recording all kinds of shit (from instruments and voice, what I usually do, to ambience and footsteps and messing about with piezos.) The onboard mics sound better, but not by much. Can't tell you much in the way of numbers, I'll post spectrograms when I get home tomorrow morning. In terms of S2N, and even the actual volume of the recorded tracks, it's nothing like what I'm used to getting from my regular home setup. I really appreciate the help because I feel like I'm either doing something wrong or not understanding what I should be doing.
>>
File: idunnoifthishelpsanyone.png (18KB, 608x312px) Image search: [Google]
idunnoifthishelpsanyone.png
18KB, 608x312px
>>758171
Well it depends on the mic. Anything that's really high impedance (TRS mics usually are and contact mics are way way high impedance) isn't going to work well without a transformer or DI/preamp. The "line-in" of the DR-40 is not the same as an "instrument" or "guitar" or "Hi-Z" input on a preamp/interface.

In terms of XLR mics those generally are low impedance and should work fine with the mic-in setting on the DR-40, but dynamic mics aren't going to record any ambience. You'll need a pretty hot signal (close miking stuff) for it to work. I don't use my DR-40 with dynamics so I have little experience there - except I have used it with ribbons and it's only really acceptible with Fetheads.

Since I use condenser mics my signal flow is as pictured. I need both phantom powers, one to run the Fetheads and the other to run the condensers. The Fetheads are f*cking awesome though, I highly recommend them for any dynamic mic or condenser if you have a secondary phantom supply. They also make one designed for condensers but it was cheaper for me to buy a 2ch phantom supply than two of those, all works-out in the end.
>>
>>758175
Well, I ran some tests again and it seems I was panicking a bit. I don't think there's anything wrong, guess I was just expecting more out of it. Still, taking the preamps beyond 60 is straight out, way too noisy.
Yeah I know about the impedance matching, for now I just dick around getting to know the DR-40, I'm used to riding the amps hard on my home setup so it's kind of a surprise.
What mics do you have, by the way ? Can't tell from the pictures. I remember you wanted to get a pair of Rodes, no ?
>>
>>758862
Yeah in a cheep lightweight recorder I guess you just have to accept the preamps are gonna be noisy. I would love a Nagra or Sound Devices because odin-tier preamps, but even a 2-track one at that level is like several grand.

My primary mics are MXL 603s, which for another $50 I bought omni capsules for. They don't have pads or filters or anything so that can be somewhat of a drawback. BUT, for the price ($200 or so, including the omni caps) they do a great job - as long as I use the Fetheads for any ambient recordings. I would kill for the Rode NT55 pair. They're just about the perfect microphone, with filters and pads, and omni capsules included. 'bout a grand for those though.

The mics on the DR-40 are pretty good overall.... not perfect of course, but they are sensitive and sound decent. Considering it's 2x preamps, 2x built-in mics, headphone amp, AD/DA converters, 4ch recorder all in one.
>>
>>758862
You ever post in /prod/ btw?
>>
File: _MG_1894.jpg (477KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1894.jpg
477KB, 1500x1000px
>>758909
No mate, never felt the need. You ?
I'm in the market for some budget SDCs, gave a look to your 603s. They'd fit the bill but the omni capsules aren't sold anywhere anymore. I'm strapped for cash and really don't want to have to settle for Behringers. We'll see. Those Oktava 12s look pretty good too but twice the price.
Posting a pic to compensate for the circlejerk.
>>
wow this was a thread i didn't expect to stumble upon

I'm going on a bike tour with some friends this summer and plan to do a bit of field recording along the way. About to buy my first mic, a zoom h5. Apparently all zooms up until the h5 have been garbage but this is pretty good. Any experience with it?
>>
>>758938
>the omni capsules aren't sold anywhere anymore
brah, brah look - still a couple left!
http://www.amazon.com/MXL-Set-omni-capsules-MXL603/dp/B001ECQOOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462675277&sr=8-2&keywords=mxl+omni

nice pic btw - looks teeming with life!

>>758962
no experience with the Zoom H5 yet. Their recorders aren't garbage †bh, but if the H5 is that much better that's probably a good thing. Get a small tripod - these "handheld" recorders are brutal for handeld recording, there's a lot of handling noise from even your fingerprints and grip on it, so a tripod is paramount for clean recording
>>
File: _MG_2405.jpg (952KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_2405.jpg
952KB, 2000x1333px
>>759186
Yeah, saw that, but they're only sold in the U.S. Amazon, shipping and customs are going to fuck me up. It's not going to be another couple of months before I get the cash anyway.
Made a cheap hydrophone yesterday, I'm going to head for the canal locks and see if I can pick up something interesting.
Thanks mate, teeming with it alright ! Here's a frogger from not far from there.
>>
>>760161
>Made a cheap hydrophone yesterday
haha, fantastic! underwater recordings have this lovely otherwordly feel to them. I just did a hydrophone recording today! Nothing too special really, but it was fun anyway
>>
File: DSC02338.jpg (445KB, 1140x855px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02338.jpg
445KB, 1140x855px
>>758169
>only rained harder and harder

I also got rained on this weekend still reviewing the audio to see how much is useable. Here's a quick and dirty youtube version of my effort:
https://youtu.be/9Gc4MPf55bM
>>
>>761633
sounds pretty nice afterall! those peepers have some tenacity to them. the rain does sound nice on the canopy to be honest. i've been waiting for an opportunity to get a recording like that with my tarp. also - what the hell is that baboon-souding thing around 2h15m??

btw I did end-up getting my hydrophone recording. it's nothing special but sort of mesmerizing in a weird way.

https://youtu.be/FoWraigpEVQ
>>
File: DSC02336.jpg (179KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02336.jpg
179KB, 864x648px
>>761653
>what the hell is that?
Don't know desu. At the time I thought it was a fox. but maybe a turkey or goose could do that also. one of my goals is suckering an ornithologist into IDing my stuff.
Your hydrophones sound very clear, my electrets probably wish they're waterproof after this weekend
>>
File: _MG_1355.jpg (1MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1355.jpg
1MB, 2000x1333px
>>761653
Sounds good mate. Perhaps needs a little more stereo separation ?

>>761633
Yeah, the rain on the tarp is a little aggressive but the ambience it gives is great. Why is your audio going in and out around 02:17:00 ?

>>760161
Well I went to the canal but the locks are fenced now. Bummer. So I got to this pond near my house, called Devil's Hole, it used to be a very small, family-sized sandstone quarry in the 1750's. There was a landslide and a a slab of clay fell in the pond ; when you walk on it it releases some of the trapped air in small streams of bubbles (you can hear my footseps at about 1 minute.) I originally went there to record the rain in the pool, but this is much better. The hydrophone works fine and the glue held, all in all a good day.
https://clyp.it/ecsi2le0
>>
>>761689
Yeah it's tough to ID shit sometimes. I've had to revise at least a couple video descriptions once I discover that I've misidentified something.

>>761694
>Perhaps needs a little more stereo separation ?
Yep, I fought with that as I was setting-up actuall. But it was a small pool and only had one little trickle leading into it. You can get a decent stereo separation in air with about 16" of distance between the mics (this is roughly the same amount of time sound takes to get around your head from one ear to the other) but since the speed of sound in water is about 4x that of the speed of sound in air, you'd need over 5ft of distance between the hydrophones to get the same time separation. now with directional mics/hydrophones you can get stereo other ways but hydrophones are omnidirectional unless you build really fantsy enclosures. but anway, i spend the first 15mins of recording dicking with the hydrophones and that was pretty much the best overall i could get. i'll be doing more in larger bodies of water where i can experiment with distance more

>https://clyp.it/ecsi2le0
mmm love it. the sounds you get in water and substrate is so interesting. the footsteps part sounds so juicy! what preamp do you use with the piezo?
>>
>>761709
thx mate. There's nothing, it's going directly in the DR-40. To top it all I didn't have any shielded cable long enough so I used speaker cable, had to hold on the phone jack to ground it otherwise there was a nasty buzz. The hydro is just a piezo glued in a film can with 5m of this wire. I did a good deal of post though, there's filtering, EQ and a lot of gain. It still sounds pretty tinny, need to buy me some of those transforming adapters from Jez French.

As for the stereo, you could always do it in post if you don't find it too sacrilegous. What DAW do you use ?
>>
File: DSC02329.jpg (281KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02329.jpg
281KB, 864x648px
>>761694
>in and out around 02:17:00?

Prob my heavy-handed editing which is no more than chopping out aircraft noise . On the original wav files all I hear at 2:17 is someone's car stereo on a gravel road 2 miles away.
the version uploaded to utube was thrown together with windows "movie maker" then youtube "processed" it eventually I'll put a clean version on archive.org
>>
>>761728
>As for the stereo, you could always do it in post
Sacrilege! For me the fun is all about nailing the recording technique. Unless something goes horribly wrong i wouldn't mess with the stereo image or delay channels or anything like that. I'll just try again and do it differently. For field recordings I generally only use RX, but my main DAW in life is Pro Tools. So depending on what I'm doing I may use either or both.
>>
File: _MG_1336.jpg (1014KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_1336.jpg
1014KB, 1333x2000px
>>761736
Yeah I get you. I think the same with audio, which is more of a self-contained medium, but I primarily work in pictures, where we have little qualms about any forms of tampering to get the job done, because it's part of the creative process. I fear it rubs on a bit too much.
Here's a (very) wide-angle view from the top of the landslide, 5m high.
>>
>>761748
aah there's all that squishy clay! I take snaps a bit myself (not good ones though) and I always tried not to tamper with them but that proved to be stupid and pointless, they're so much better when you sculpt the photos a bit in post. with audio I try not to do anything creative in post, just corrective stuff (getting rid of rumble or noise or something)
>>
How do you guys deal with environment? Dead cats can only do so much, no?
>>
>>763241
Batteries in cold weather and 'lectronics in wet weather are both major problems. A deadcat is fine for a short time in dew or misty/light rain, but other than that you need a canopy of some kind or just bag your shit and call it quits. When I record overnight I cinch a trash bag around my gear in the early AM and hope it doesn't get too dewy by morning. Now, in the cold I keep my batteries in an inner pocket and take them out while recording. It's a pain in the ass to keep pulling batteries to keep them warm and then reinstalling them, but it's the life, there's no other way.

Also, most condenser mics (except the exhorbitantly expensive RF variety) suffer greatly and can be permanently damaged in high humidity, so it's a risk you have to weigh if you want to take mics out on humid days. I own two pairs of my mics and two of them have been rendered useless for outdoor recording due to humidity exposure. I keep them because they still work fine indoors, but out of the 4 mics only two still withstand humid air without crackling or rumbling.

In short, environment's a fucking bitch. And the wetter or saltier your location the worse it is. You gotta pay top dollar for mics engineered for robust field recording.
>>
>>763254
How about wind? Any techniques to minimize it beside deadcats or foam caps, or you just have to nigger-rig a windbreak and hope for the best?
>>
>>763314

>*XXL Unlubricated condoms...Also it doubles as a nig-rig hydrophone. Pull that shit over your blimp or foamie and you can deal with the heaviest of shit nature can through at you wind wise.

*Not good for sex though you will blister your dick.

>>763241

>Other stuff to do is go to material store and look for some decent material. You are looking for something that doesn't muffle the sound so small pores are good at the back with some heavy fluff in front to diffuse the wind.

>>763254

>Rain cover I would recommend a piece of sponge cut to make a canopy/cradle over the mic. Then take two Velcro ties with you and rig that over your windsock/zeppelin.

>Rain proofing gear get the following...Glad wrap,small zip locks,black bags,elastic bands and some tape that can withstand water.
>>
File: Photo0004.jpg (699KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Photo0004.jpg
699KB, 1600x1200px
>>763254

Thats a nice MIC. I got two MKH416's Super Cardoid and use my friends MKH50 Hyper Cardoid allot.
>>
File: 1406762120483.jpg (673KB, 1453x810px) Image search: [Google]
1406762120483.jpg
673KB, 1453x810px
/tg/ here

Do you guys know how awesome this stuff is?

Will use it for my next tabletop RPG session!
>>
>>763329

What sounds would you like Anon?
>>
File: 1411561398931.jpg (2MB, 1999x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1411561398931.jpg
2MB, 1999x1000px
>>763330
I don't know. I am working through this anons >>757942 uploads right now. (Great stuff!)

But a storm or something like "cold winds" maybe.
Can imagine it would be difficult to keep the hardware save in such a setting.
>>
>>761689
>id monkey sounds
Obvious owl is obvious
M f w do u even bird?
>>
>>763333
>cold winds
my blizzard might work! although my cat gets in there a couple times

https://youtu.be/Y2BbFab2l5I
>>
>>759186
Yeah, one of my best friends is actually a sound artist and I've picked up a lot from him in terms of recording knowledge. I'll probably just use a cheap tripod and maybe stick some foamies on the feet to keep it off the ground a little bit.
>>
>>764844
Yeah that should work just fine! I envy you, wish I was going on a bike tour :[
>>
File: DSC02233.jpg (199KB, 650x461px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02233.jpg
199KB, 650x461px
>>764844
>cheap tripod

In my last 2 /out/ings I've noticed a high pitched rattling sound that accompanies wind noise or loud thunder.
Weird thing: I couldn't recreate this effect at home.
Finally realize that tripod is necessary to duplicate field conditions.
Grab the cheap tripod and it rattles in my hand.
>FacePalm.jpeg.
>>
>>765019
The sticks are usually decent enough on the cheap ones for lightweight cameras. Sometimes you need to replace the nuts/bolts though - mfgr's cheap out on that shit (and the plastic stuff). Nylocks and a few nylon washers go a long way to making a cheap tripod feel and function a lot better. A shot of silicone spray lube gets rid of squeaks, might need a few shots of it and work it in before it's effective.

Head, you get what you pay for. For small cameras, and even my DSLR with lighter lenses on it, a Gorillapod ball head works decent.

Big/heavy cameras/lenses, you need a big/heavy(duty) tripod.

tl;dr, might be worth just replacing the hardware and seeing where that takes you.
>>
>a few weeks ago on /n/ some anon asked about recording trains
>visit /out/ and see him post again
>fast forward and this thread exists

Generals are usually cancerous but this is a very productive thread with awesome stuff and oc being created.

Keep up the good work nerds
>>
>>763420
Nice cat blizzard core
>>
File: Photo on 14-05-16 at 9.06 AM.jpg (55KB, 469x358px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 14-05-16 at 9.06 AM.jpg
55KB, 469x358px
>>765144
Ha, yeah he was outside in his little house and saw the tripod and I guess was meowing at it. kinda ruined the recording but kinda made the recording too

>>765019
I have a pod like that and it used to rattle like cray but I went through and tightened/fixed all the hardware and it made a huge improvement. Trouble is a lot of the screw heads are hidden under stickers and covers. If I remember correctly tightening pic relaled had the biggest effect of all
>>
File: 20130420Gservo-0183-680x451.jpg (279KB, 680x451px) Image search: [Google]
20130420Gservo-0183-680x451.jpg
279KB, 680x451px
>>765208
>>765072
>>765019
A trick we often use in photography to stabilize a light tripod in windy conditions is to weight it down, either with netting attached to the legs as in pic related, or just hooking your bag to the center column. Don't put too much weight because those cheap tripod legs bend easily, but it works a charm even to reduce rattle.

>>765138
Funny you should say that, I recorded trains just the other day. It wasn't too good though.
>>
File: ls10-2.jpg (315KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
ls10-2.jpg
315KB, 500x667px
LS-10 owner here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqYDikql84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngD-HCGOmak
>>
>>765468
got damb those loons are beautiful! hey what's that low grunty thing in the first vidya at ~1:04??

I've got a recording of one but never confidently identified it
>>
File: Sony with Manfrotto.jpg (144KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Sony with Manfrotto.jpg
144KB, 640x480px
>>765208
>>765432

This is my 4th tripod in a year. Hope it solves the high-pitched rattle problem. I like short tripods for picking up vibes from the earth. Just don't want them causing sounds themselves.

>>765468

now I got loon-envy.
>>
>>765432
>I recorded trains just the other day

Link?

I was at my gf's house all week and never caught a coal drag. Despite the fact that they run multiple drags a day from five in the fucking morning to like midnight iirc. At least horns are tuned in musical chords. Cool story about that actually.
Really wish I caught a vid/pics of one.
This was CSX down in Chesapeake headed to the xbox hueg coal pile.
>>
>>765917
https://clyp.it/ir3tfrev
Here's an AM96 stopping at and leaving Froyennes station near Tournai (Doornik), Belgium. There's not much variety in the national rolling stock so it's about as good as it gets. I did record a class 12 with horn, but she surprised me and there's handling noise as she sounds her horn and speeds by. so no 12 4 u

>>765497
A Manfrotto rattling would be a first. You did good anon.
>>
File: _MG_4453.jpg (714KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4453.jpg
714KB, 1200x1800px
Well I finally got to the canal locks and boy was it good. As soon as I put the hydrophone in I was blown away by the richness and the diversity of the sound. I discovered that in large bodies of water, even enclosed, a change of depth of only a few centimeters can radically change the sound you get, and the closer you get to the surface the bigger the change is. Playing with the reflection of the sound on th canal walls was amazing too, combined with the current carrying the sound in different ways.
I started with recording the waterfall next to the weir sluice ; the recordings were very interesting, with the hydrophone getting caught in the eddies and such. Unfortunately the drop to the water was too big for the lenght of cable I had and so the mic kept hitting the canal walls.
But the mic inside the lock itself was amazing too. The big barges really had each a different sound and the eddies incredibly changed the dynamics of the sound too, from what was a virtually static mic.
https://clyp.it/y1nuvr4z
>>
File: ultraPodII.jpg (15KB, 320x326px) Image search: [Google]
ultraPodII.jpg
15KB, 320x326px
>>765497
If it doesn't work out maybe try this one next, I use it for time lapses and stuff. Velcro strap is handy for strapping it to things.
>>
>>766177
Nice man, really intereting sound! Too bad a pod of dolphins didn't just happen to visit!
>>
>>765208
Ever put a contact mic up against your cat while it's purring? If not, try it.
>>
File: _MG_4461.jpg (1MB, 2250x1500px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_4461.jpg
1MB, 2250x1500px
>>766297
Thanks man. As far as dolphins go, I also did a take with a piezo on the railing of one of the gates. Left channel is the hydrophone in the lock and right is the piezo. I didn't mix it yet but eh.
https://clyp.it/y5vjj0np

>>766310
Not him but I'll try to get a hold of a sthetoscope and mod it with an electret to record body souds, I'll be sure to try that.
>>
>>766310
I have a stethomic and I've done that actually. It sounds like a weird machine with billows
>>
Are any of you profags or just do this as a hobby?
>>
>>766323
Mmm love the way the gate drones and rings though!

>>766890
I'm an professional audio engineer but most of my /out/ and nature recordings I just do as a hobby. Sometimes I take audio students field recording with me. I've sold some recordings to film/video producers and video game developers so I guess it could count as "professional" although until NatGeo commissions me with a budget to go record for them I don't think it's quite the same. I just do dewette because I lovette
>>
>>766893
Oh wow, interesting.
You don't have to give specifics but what is the going rate for sound?
>>
>>765480
Sounds like a bullfrog too me..

Where I live you gotta be careful not to mix a bullfrog noise with an aligator... Fucking scary stuff. Especially at night..
>>
>>766917
There are lots of ways to work it out, so it really depends on what you've done, whether it's commissioned work or just work in your catalogue someone wants, what equipment/travel/time it took, etc.

Generally sound is about 15% of the budget for film and vidya games and such, so depending on how much your contribution is you could ask for your accorded chunk of that percentage. Another common way to work out cost is tallying the equipment involved and charge 10% of the cost of the gear (as long as it's ballpark within the budget constraint it should be reasonable to them). After all that, in my book, it's not worth giving up work unless it's going to be very visible (in terms of credit/good for my career) or anything less than $100.

No if I'm comissioned to go and record something I do it the waya studio runs, you pay 10% of the gear and an hourly rate which I've always done at $50 but find ways to discount it for people (student discounts, lowering cost to meet their budget, etc).

All of this is kinda nebulous though, really you have to make a deal based on what they can pay and what your work is worth to you. If they can only offer $10 you might still let them have it because you want them to, or if they want it for $200 you might tell them to fuck off I guess if you just don't want them to.
>>
>>766939
Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly answer my question. I love learning new things.
>>
Wow this is an awesome thread. I am a musician and have an interest in sound in general which has on many occasions spilled into field recording.
However this is a friend of mine who does some amazing field recording stuff here in Australia. I recommend checking out his stuff.
https://jeremyh.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>767103
He's got some nice stuff! Great locations. I yearn to travel more so I can get more of a variety of awesome places and wildlife. Kinda running out of juice in my general locale.
>>
File: OR-640x480.png (490KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OR-640x480.png
490KB, 640x480px
bumpan' becase I don't think this thread deserves to die like this.
>>
>>757496
I have been known to play birdsong sometimes to add a nicer ambiance to my hovel.
>>
For anyone interested here's a really great album which combined field recording with improvised music.
https://endofthealphabetrecords.bandcamp.com/album/drip
A lot of Jim Denley's stuff is like this. This was recorded in a cave in the Blue Mountains just west of Sydney
>>
File: FRG.jpg (195KB, 600x294px) Image search: [Google]
FRG.jpg
195KB, 600x294px
>>769533
>bump

Don't cry for this thread, Argentina. Field recordists are often employed in Monday thro Friday jobs. They also have technical skills and expensive equipment that are in demand. On weekends we go /out/ and pursue our passion. Compare that to a knife NEET or /K/ommando with plenty of time to shitpost memes from mom's basement. When this thread dies another one will be born. Oh and...
Bump.
>>
ßumpan with some fresh content. Got up at 4am for this one. Was expecting no distant traffic at 4am on a sunday but newp, I guess there were lots of people going on fishing trips and weekend revelers returning home at dawn. Still glad I finally got a decent capture of all the dawn activity.

https://youtu.be/kCbLcbwdtlw
>>
>>771487
Fair point. Gotta work hard for that high end equipment.

Keep it up guys, falling asleep to some Norwegian forest ambiance right now. It couldn't be more pleasant.
>>
>>773600
Oooooo that's oddly pleasant, will wake up to this tomorrow while I make coffee.

Taking the firstshit of the day would be very nice to this as well. Speaking of I need to find a nice flowing river or babbling Brook recording for my evening shits. Shut the lights off, close yet eyes and just picture yourself dropping French hatchery trow into the river.
>>
>>773640
Well, I've got a couple river recordings in my channel. They aren't quite the gentle kind though. I'll see what I can do to capture one sometime. Thanks for the listen!
>>
>>773645
A violent river to commemorate a violent shit is perfect. Thanks for the lead I'll be checking it out.
>>
File: DSC02345.jpg (323KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02345.jpg
323KB, 864x648px
>>773600
Nice capture. I never get tired of sunrise bird chorus. this weekend didn't go too well for me. put my recorder out at 10 pm with some doggie treats nearby. crept away to my pup tent and listen to whippoorwills all night. there was a glorious chorus of songbirds at sunrise. checked my Sony and the batteries went dead.

TL;DR i've got 7 hours of a 'possum chewing on duck jerky accompanied by whippoorwills, no sunrise
>>
>>757527
>freddiemercury.png
cringe
>>
>>773835
Thanks! And that sucks. Probably kinda neat sounds with the possum though? I run my recorder of an external USB battery pack which I find lasts several times longer than the AAs, but I also power external preamps with it which eat power pretty quickly. Between that and my 9v phantom supply for the mics I'm not sure how long it would last. The 9v would probably fail first shutting down the mics after about 4hrs I would guess.
>>
File: Barber-of-seville-2.jpg (64KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Barber-of-seville-2.jpg
64KB, 400x300px
Recording Fail today

There's a tree out back that has a woodpecker woodpeckering all day. So I attached my contact mics to the tree and got recording. I had it running for over 2 hours while I was out. When I got home and checked the audio - not one single woodpeck. The little shit forsook me.

To really salt my axewound, the little shit got right back to pecking after I packed the rig up. Gonna have to be sleuthy to fool this thing and take things up a notch.
>>
File: mealworm_cake.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
mealworm_cake.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>>775263
>up a notch

some of my favorite recordings feature pileated woodpeckers. Sometimes I record at a spot with several snags infested with woodpeckers.

https://youtu.be/wyCDt5rZ5b0
>>
>>775263
Kek

I thought of woody woodpecker mocking you
>>
>>775342
yeah we got a lot of woodpecks around as well... they attack the house regularly. Though the contact mics would sound cool, we'll see!

>>775736
Yeah me too :|
>>
>>775751
I had one keep banging its beak on my small basement window. I think I've seen or heard of one pecking at the side of an aluminum ladder. They can be such retards.
>>
File: world_map.jpg (982KB, 4521x2296px) Image search: [Google]
world_map.jpg
982KB, 4521x2296px
As this thread slips into the sunset maybe we can do a little survey of the places that /out/ recordists frequent. It'd be nice to put together an info graphic showing areas that we record. This also might allow some specific request to be fulfilled and we could try to expand our range.

for example:

online ID* Location Rig

Digrpat USA, Indiana (N 39.12317 W 86.28855) Sony PCM-D100

*ID can be just "anon" of course, but my stalkers already know who I am.
>>
>>776921
Not a turrible idea Digger but I have no idea where I am
>>
File: blackratsnake.jpg (280KB, 720x512px) Image search: [Google]
blackratsnake.jpg
280KB, 720x512px
>>776973
>no idea where I am

that reminds me: 20 years ago I used to post nature photography on USENET Alt.binaries.photography. one day a guy spams the url to his "portfolio." found a couple of my photos there. thread was still active so I asked him where photos were taken. he gives vague answer. I ask specifically where the blackrat snake photo was taken (pic related). he lamely asserts a desire for privacy. I respond by posting another picture of that snake from a different vantage point. never hear from the dude again.
>>
File: img-thing.png (54KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing.png
54KB, 300x300px
>>777212
a-are you suggesting I'm a phony
>>
>>777444
You're no phoney prob have legitimate reason for not knowing where you're at. Like sitting aboard passenger jet 30 K feet up. It appears that /out/ has recordist on 4 continents was just wondering for my own amusement
>>
>>777597
I like it. I found out that MJC anon lives maybe 30 minutes away from me.
>>777444
Nice dub trips
>>
File: SubKick-large.jpg (98KB, 750x640px) Image search: [Google]
SubKick-large.jpg
98KB, 750x640px
Hey O.P. if you're still reading this you should try to record the lightning with this device. Kicks ass!
>>
>>777958
That looks bad ass. I don't know much about recording so could you explain it pls?
>>
>>777958
What is the purpose of this? Seems gimmicky as fuck. A regular condenser will pick up lows perfectly and with much better transient response. Explain to me the advantage of this
>>
File: Collage_Fotor.jpg (301KB, 800x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Collage_Fotor.jpg
301KB, 800x2000px
>>777597
Haha nah man I was just kidding. Not sure I want to go through the trouble of finding coordinates of each of my recording locations I guess.

>>777946
30 minutes? Really?

>>777958
>>778017
>>780337
These are pretty badass. They're overpriced by yamaha but they really do good work.

It's basically a speaker cone being used as a microphone, so it picks up big thuddy low frequencies. Unlike a condenser it has extremely high SPL tolerance so you can put it in front of a kickdrum or bass cabinet or other boomboom and it gets beautiful recordings of ~<300Hz. It has a very distinct sound because of the relatively slow step response of the speaker cone and the compliance of the cone/motor. I've used the yamaha ones a lot in the studio and they're usually gold, but they're so overpriced I never bought one.

I built one though out of a drum shell and a polymer subwoofer driver I had lying around. Sounds just as good as the yamaha.
>>
File: DSC02381.jpg (725KB, 864x648px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02381.jpg
725KB, 864x648px
https://youtu.be/FJOsUp0Jqpc

We camped in the wilderness this weekend, naturally bought the recorder...
>>
>>780681
well that came-out nice! i love the natural forest reverberation. that's a perfect example of one of those things people don't really notice when they're in the woods but it's always so striking when you listen back to the recording.
>>
>>780595
>30 minutes? Really?
I live in CT and iirc he lives in MA
>>
>>781103
Ah ok, I remember you! There's a Western MA-anon as well who also is close.
>>
>>781197
I'm the fag hoping you'll get some good thunder recordings. The one you've done sounded fantastic.
>>
>>781348
Oh nice! Not to worry I'm determined to get a good one this season. So far we've had 3-4 thunderstorms in the forecast that have all piddled-out to nothing. Happens every time! Even today we were sposta get one and it's been removed from the forecast.

And yeah, I was really happy with that last recent one. Really sounds nice, I can only imagine how the mics and Jecklin disk will capture a proper storm
>>
>>781367
>all piddled-out to nothing. Happens every time! Even today we were sposta get one and it's been removed from the forecast.

Same here lol. I love window rattling thunder and lighting that turns night into day. So comfy. I haven't had a chance to play it on my stereo w/sub but it it was nice in my headset.

I'm subbed and waiting
>>
This is what it sounds like everywhere outside right now,

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464725302182.webm

You can't even have a conversation without yelling at each other.
>>
File: hakuna_cicada.png (360KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
hakuna_cicada.png
360KB, 800x450px
>>781625
Fuck man that's great! I kinda wish I'd planned a trip to record the cicadas, if not to just experience them. I know every local news crew and every hairy dick and tom is going to be recording and covering them anyway but would have been a neato addition to my channel. ah well... guess I'll just record some... lobsters or... something.
>>
>>781660
This emergence won't happen for another 17 years.

Check the maps here and plan I guess:

http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

Randoms still on >>>/wsg/1069868 for a while.
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464226478260.webm
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464237511278.webm
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464280576578.webm
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464230664330.webm
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1464226835830.webm
>>
File: 1464725554414.jpg (24KB, 357x373px) Image search: [Google]
1464725554414.jpg
24KB, 357x373px
>>781683
I just don't think I'm gonna make it to VA/WV or near there anytime soon. The gas money and accommodation just isn't in my budget. Plus I wouldn't be guaranteed to get a nice quiet spot to record, or even find a good brood to record.

U-unless I can stay with you anon, not even homo
>>
>>781691
If you check the maps there's an emergence next year in the lower states, closer to Florida (GA, NC, SC).
>>
File: 1452628671383.jpg (276KB, 1656x1009px) Image search: [Google]
1452628671383.jpg
276KB, 1656x1009px
>>781691
>cicadae emergence
>nice quiet spot to record
>>
>>781710
Well I'm not from that area and I don't have access to any private property so I'm afraid the only places I'd be able to setup might be noisy with traffic or kids riding their bikes through the state park or otherwise.

>>781709
That's even further away sadly, and I'm probably moving overseas at the end of this year so I'm trying to get my bucket list filled this year
>>
>>781712
The joke is that it isn't a problem. You can't hear anything other than cicadae. Could you hear the lawn mower, traffic, and chickens in >>781625 which are rather close, especially the chickens.
>>
>>781718
Hmm good point. I getcha now
>>
>>781660
Dat pic and filename
kek

>>781710
Kek
>>
>>781691
The most amazing thing is hearing the cicadae emerging at night time. They don't vocalize then. Instead you are hearing 1000s of them digging out of the ground all around you climbing up stuff and starting to wiggle out of their old skins. It is quite alien.
>>
>>782015
I didn't even think of that part of it. I'm kinda kicking myself for missing it. Fuck I really gotta start getting commissions to record this stuff. I can't afford to travel everywhere I need to travel :[
>>
>>782015
That's gotta be spoopy as fug
>>
>>757942
>just a Sony PCM-D100
$700+ Ouch. I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify this. Such a shame because it seems like a wicked cool hobby.
>>
File: rig.jpg (966KB, 2600x1563px) Image search: [Google]
rig.jpg
966KB, 2600x1563px
>>782402
Bruv check out the more economical options - Zoom H4N, Tascam DR-40/DR-05, etc. If you don't need any fancy internal mixing or DSP, or if you don't intend to hook-up external mics, those recorders are just fine and can be had for $80-$180.

Pic is my rig - I started with just a Tascam DR-40 and slowly built the rig up to incorporate better gear (mics, external preamps, etc etc). But for about a year all my recordings were with just the simple handheld DR-40 and the quality of those mics is great, more-or-less comparable to the Sony PCM for *most* sound sources. They're not quite as good, especially if you're recording a very quiet environment and have to crank the level.

My blizzard recording is a good example of how nice just the little Tascam can sound by itself. But if you know a lot about different mics and techniques and you'll start to get more specific about what you need for different things. Nevertheless, just the onboard cardioid mics of the cheaper recorders make acceptible (and sometimes -perfect-) recordings.

https://youtu.be/Y2BbFab2l5I
>>
>>782409
This.
>>782402
Anon I can recommend one of the cheaper Olympus recorders. I have the ls12 and it's great. I also have invested in a tascam dr680 and a couple of good AT omnis for when I want to get super nice high quality sound.
I definitely wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money immediately. Just invest a bit. You might not get into it. Shit even iPhone recordings can sound decent. It's a good way to start. The most important thing is just to learn to listen actively to any environment. Then you'll start hearing some really interesting things
>>
Btw I'm stoked at how successful this thread has been. I think /frg/ will have to be a regular thread on /out/.
>>
>>783190
>AT omnis
hmm which ones you got?
>>
>>783294
AT 4022's.
>>
>>783819
lucky duck :[
>>
>>783823
Yeah they're really nice!
>>
File: mxl603s.jpg (67KB, 510x358px) Image search: [Google]
mxl603s.jpg
67KB, 510x358px
>>783940
I'm stuck with MXL 603s, which I got omni capsules for. They're generally pretty good, but due to the poor Chinese QC I've had to buy two pairs just to get one pair that works consistently, and i've had to return one set of omni caps. It's all sorted and working nice now but it was kind of a shitshow and cost me more than I could afford at the time. I really want to get the Rode NT55 pair with the cardioid and omni caps but it's gonna be awhile before I could afford such things. A pair of 4022s would do the trick as well!
>>
File: nyamaha.jpg (142KB, 1936x429px) Image search: [Google]
nyamaha.jpg
142KB, 1936x429px
Curious what you anons think about this:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/this-is-why-various-engine-types-sound-so-different-feature

I've always been interested in how an engine can be tuned like a musical instrument. Yamaha is breddy gud with that. I love how their logo is 3 tuning forks.
>>
>>784751
It's all pretty cool actually. The engine is the more obvious of the tunables in a car but their acoustical engineers design everything about a car (at least cars that are mid-tier and up). The sound the door makes when it closes is considered, the click clack of the turn signal is really pretty uneccessary but they make sure it sounds like an expensive heavy clock, and not some springy plastic boing or someting. The motors that run the power windows, the "phump" when you pop the trunk, etc. They want everything to look, feel, and sound quality and pleasing.
>>
I just got a tascam dr60, for use eith music and field recording. It comes in a couple days. For a mic im building a diy kit, s-87 from microphone-parts. Ive got a thread started in /diy/ if anyone is into diy audio id love for your contributiins there
>>
>>785361
Yeah, I heard about that. People don't realize what effort goes into making their products.
>>
>>785361
>>784751
Some cars actually have special noise makers that are installed specifically to make noise for the driver/passenger because the car itself runs too quite (Engine-Sound Enhancement is another user settable one).
>>
>>785651
The sound insulation from the outside world has killed engine character in a lot of cars. Now they are just phony pieces of shit with fake noise makers. The car is slowly dying
>>
File: desu_senpai.png (3KB, 219x120px) Image search: [Google]
desu_senpai.png
3KB, 219x120px
>>785908
good riddance pic related
>>
File: 1464795991872.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1464795991872.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>785913
>never wanting to experience the braps
>>
File: IMG_20160529_172523065_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_172523065_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>785908
You're not looking in the right places then.
Pic related.
>>
>>786129
I meant new cars. Feels like we've lost our way. That whipple must sound so good. One of your projects?

>I will never own a small displacement Ferrari V12
I wish car shows did a better job of sound recording their cars and having a segment where they shut the fuck up so I can hear the nuisances of the engine.
>>
File: DSC02423.jpg (433KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02423.jpg
433KB, 960x540px
I did some recording this weekend, went as deep as possible in a ski resort-tier valley. Idea was to screen out highway sounds. Nothing out of the ordinary happened until this sound byte:

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/widowmaker
>>
File: MeTree.jpg (847KB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
MeTree.jpg
847KB, 1800x1350px
>>787252
Fuckin hell digger that sounded like a bigun! One of my worst fears is having a tree or limb fall on me while camping. For some reason the last few years have seen some gigantic trees spontaneously fall in my woods. It's confusing and unsettling. Pic related is one of them - fell for no reason one night about 80 feet from my camping spot.

Also I really gotta try and get away from highways but it's tricky for me.
>>
>>787252
Spoopy
>>
File: P60607-202810.jpg (774KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
P60607-202810.jpg
774KB, 960x1280px
Oh holy cow, look what came today!
>>
>>788233
Noice! I had considered getting one of those for awhile but I think the preamps are the same as my DR-40 so after weighing it I decided it wasn't a big enough departure from what I aready have to justify another purchase. Would be so much handier and easier to setup though. What mic(s) you gonna sport with that badboy?
>>
File: P60606-141655.jpg (669KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
P60606-141655.jpg
669KB, 1280x960px
Oh fug i hope the preamps are better than dr40, thats the reason i got it jej.

Im building a diy condenser, like a clone of u-87. Still waiting on solder to arrive. Pic very related
>>
>>788265
Cool! Keep us updated on the /diy/ audio thread
>>
>>757496

You guys want to make a few buck off recordings for animation? Need stereo high quality 24bit/48khz minimum.

REf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt5-hA_ykHY

We need:

>Jungle Ambience mainly mid day but there will be call for dusk and night.

>Also anything that you've recorded by a babbling stream with frog sounds.

*Again, no traffic, no livestock, no bells, no humans!

Serious replies only to [email protected]
>>
>>788639
Aw man I'd love to but that sorta thing is hard to come by for me (jungle, babbling stream AND frogs in the same recording, getting absolutely no traffic/livestock). O well.
>>
File: DSC02436.jpg (379KB, 864x576px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02436.jpg
379KB, 864x576px
Wednesday evening I left my recorder "going" inawoods like a trail-cam, hiked 2 miles back to my car, then drove 30 miles home. Thursday after work I returned for it. The Sony lasted 17 hours on a fresh set of batteries. the sunrise was nice except for some aircraft noise.
uploaded audio to
https://archive.org/details/160609
>>
>>790562
>17 hours
daaaaaamn that's pretty heroic. I've never tested my stuff to the max, but I'm fairly confident it can run for about 10 hours, with my USB power pack running the recorder/external preamps and fresh 9v running my external phantom. Just the DR-40 sssshhhould run for a lot longer with the USB power but I've never tested that.

Anyway - recording sounds great! You're a madman btw, leaving it out like that all night/day! Also did you leave little snacks near the recorder again? There's all kinds of shuffling about at the beginning. The sunrise/morning part is nice too with everything changing and the frogs starting up. I can 100% tell what stage the sunrise/morning is at just by the sound - you can really tell when morning hits and it starts to warm up. Sweet stuff! I haven't been /out/recording/ in a couple weeks and I'm really getting the bite now!! I gotta start hitting my To Do list.
>>
File: lair_of_the_whippoorwill.jpg (268KB, 1059x530px) Image search: [Google]
lair_of_the_whippoorwill.jpg
268KB, 1059x530px
>>790673

I've used the "trail-cam" method once before, when Zero% chance of rain is predicted. Once again my possum stalker found the smelly liver&cheese catfish bait. Also left some chicken jerky and freeze-dried mealworms. Next time I'll try back in nearby valley (pic related). Bucket list for me includes tallgrass prairie. thundering_herd_of_bison.wav
>>
OH GLORIOUS DAY I think we're finally getting a proper thunderstorm. For over 2 years now I've been tyring to get one but they keep getting cancelled and/or passing us by. Recording rig is in place and ready to go. Gonna hit the the ol' red button in a few minutes.

>>790905
Ahhh possum snags! I gotta try doing that myself sometime. My "bucket list" for 2016 is just local stuff, unless I get the chance to travel. I'm moving at the end of the year so I wanna get as much of New England as I can before I'm gone. Bison herd would be awesome though!

One thing about this year is they say the gypsy moths are supposed to be really bad. I'm gonna try to setup in the woods sometime with a strong flashlight on the rig and hope it gets bombarded by moths and june bugs and stuff. The recording you have of moths is really cool.
>>
>>757496
looks like ww2 radar towers
>>
>>791119
and as always they cancelled it :c
>>
>>790562
peacefull sound , thamks
>>
File: P60611-161135.jpg (614KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
P60611-161135.jpg
614KB, 960x1280px
Made a wind baffle for my condenser mic. 1" foam then this fur. Ill collect some dessicant to put in there to for good measure. Cant wait to get away from city sounds
>>
File: muff.jpg (859KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
muff.jpg
859KB, 2048x1355px
>>791257
Nice. What kind of foam did you use underneath? I've sewn a few windmuffs for different mics of mine, which work well (better than just the plain foam mics come with) but I've had mixed results incorporating foam+fur. Have you done any sound tests with and without the muff?
>>
>>791262
.5" upholstry foam i believe, got it from a clipping bin at joann fabrics. No test
yet but this mic is so hot im not worries about attenuation
>>
Yeah that stuff should work pretty good! The issue isn't so much overall attenuation as high frequency roll-off (which can be compensated for fairly easily with EQ), but generating noise with wind turbulence is a problem with foam - especially big chunks. Do some tests blowing on the baffle with and without the foam. My little windmuffs worked better without foam inside (just fur) but the small diaphram design is very different and may not be an issue for you
>>
>>791119
>>791134
fug, I was looking foward to that.
>>
File: the game's afoot!.jpg (359KB, 760x656px) Image search: [Google]
the game's afoot!.jpg
359KB, 760x656px
>>791608

this may be an interesting week for field recording
>>
>>791710
kek
>>
File: IMGP0432.jpg (759KB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0432.jpg
759KB, 2048x1355px
Been having some bad luck lately >>791119 >>791134 but hoping for some luck tonight.

The coyotes have been howling around 12-1am the last couple nights, so tonight I set my rig up out back hoping they do it again. I've been frustrated lately with non-events. Place your bets now I guess.
>>
>>793178
Sweet setup, whats that seperator called?
>>
File: recording_rig_sjcam.jpg (822KB, 1354x2048px) Image search: [Google]
recording_rig_sjcam.jpg
822KB, 1354x2048px
>>793192
the baffle's a Jecklin disk. i made it myself because people who sell them are absolute crooks. the concept and research was done by Jürg Jecklin in the 70s/80s as a refined semi-binaural approach to baffled stereo (originally researched and developed by Alan Blumlein in the 1930s).

It makes spaced (AB) pairs sound much more immersive and 3-dimensional than without a baffle, but also isn't so vividly binaural as to require headphones for playback... so it's somewhere between a plain spaced pair and a binaural dummy head
>>
>>793201
Sick, so those are omnis then?
>>
>>793251
yeah i have cardioid and omni capsules but 90% of the time I use the omnis. there are some rare circumstances when the cardioids are the right choice for various reasons but when you want the most immersive and warm & lively audio, omni is king
>>
File: TASCAM_0009.png (279KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
TASCAM_0009.png
279KB, 700x394px
>>793178
once again fucking nothing. 3 1/2 hours of nothing... again. gaahhhh
>>
>>793201
Awesome setup man. I'm really interested in making one of these as a project. How did you go about it? What's the disk made of and how did you secure it to the tripod and the mics to the disk?
>>
File: ¥ecklin.jpg (1MB, 1551x1314px) Image search: [Google]
¥ecklin.jpg
1MB, 1551x1314px
>>793950
well broski i just did the research and found the components needed. idunno about giving away all my process but here ya go i guess...

>disk is plywood with felt around it, two panels of acoustic foam cut and tacked to each side
>2 x male microphone flanges for mic mounts
>two jam nuts and quick release clips for fast location setup and easy aiming/securing
>1 x female mic flange secured to bottom of disk with screws/brackets
>1 x mic-to-tripod hot shoe post adapter to secure it to tripod (not necessary when securing to mic stand)

considerations:
1. accurate/precise dimensions are paramount, there are two accepted sizes for a normal Jecklin disk, I chose the larger size
2. the mics need to mount in such a way that the diaphrams are 36cm apart (16.5cm for the smaller disk) AND they also have to be perfectly centered on the disk plane as well - getting both of these things right requires careful planning in regards to your flange, clips, etc.
>>
>>793959
thanks a lot man! I hope to give this an attempt soon.
>>
>>793281
That pic lol.
>>
File: distant_yotes.jpg (890KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
distant_yotes.jpg
890KB, 1280x720px
>>794182
Heh, yeah. Pretty much the same thing happened again last night btw. In the 4+ hours of audio I got two blurbs of *very* distant coyotes. They were probably 5-10 miles away, would not have been audible at all by the naked ear. They didn't even register on the waveform... so here they are increased about 35dB (so it's noisy and shitty and not a keeper). I would never have found them if it wasn't for looking through the spectrogram.

>clyp
https://clyp.it/25og5145

I'll be trying AGAIN tonight though! Getting up at 3am to venture out and collect the rig is savage on my sleep though. And the woods are spoopy as demondick at that time of night too.
>>
File: coyotes_160616.png (753KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
coyotes_160616.png
753KB, 1280x720px
Whelp 3rd time's a charm I guess :]

https://youtu.be/n6ot-qyC0O8
>>
File: 30182.jpg (68KB, 585x389px) Image search: [Google]
30182.jpg
68KB, 585x389px
>>794932

Very impressive, sounds even better on loudspeakers than it did on my phone. My pack always seems to be a mile to the south when i'm recording. Yesterday's t-storms were duds. no doubt there's a possum in the woods looking for his smelly catfish bait
>>
File: night_eyes_1.jpg (22KB, 667x500px) Image search: [Google]
night_eyes_1.jpg
22KB, 667x500px
>>795169
thanks man! yeah it worked-out really balanced between L+R, which was just a guess in the placement/aiming but i've been hearing and documenting the coyotes in these woods a long time so i have a general sense of where the "center" of coyote territory is. although this recording was a little but of a surprise because a distant pack started on the left and then and a closer one or two joined-in on the right. love it! also when i went-out at around 0230 to retrieve the rig pre-dew there were several pairs of glowing eyes keeping an eye on me. mighta just been coons though, idunno. didn't bring my camera but it's like pic related.

>t-storms were duds
yeah they do that don't they -_-
>>
>tfw there's a perfect night for recording owls and frogs but there's like 5 drilling rigs in the area making a horrible fucking racket

They are all over 2 miles away too but still loud as fuck.
>>
>>795348
yep it ruins nature, thanks oil companies!
>>
>>795348
it's so difficult to get away from noise in the atmosphere. depending on what kind of mics you use, there's pretty much always the rumble of air traffic and distant highways and trains and construction. my mics always pick up air traffic, even if it's 20 miles away it just reverberates around the atmosphere like a fishtank for miles and miles.

on the upside I was doing some recording innacity once and there was this gorgeous light angelic humming echoing through the city that was absolutely beautiful. turned-out it was construction equipment miles away being filtered through the city itself. link almost sorta related in a way. maybe you should record anyway anon!

https://youtu.be/1ZirfRlgcP4
>>
>>795169
>sounds even better on loudspeakers than it did on my phone

lol I would hope so

I'm really looking forward to one of you anons getting a thunderstorm recorded. That mjcfag had a short one with distant thunder that was relaxing as fuck. I feel like I might benefit from having a a gentle soundtrack like that. Sounds autistic but it was calming and so chill.
Also looking forward to someone getting something that will give my sub a workout.
>>
>>793281

One mans nothing is another's buzz track my friend!
>>
File: CRW_0081.jpg (449KB, 1228x921px) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0081.jpg
449KB, 1228x921px
>>795449
Fear not anon, I'm still hard at work trying to get a thunderstorm and I'm going to trespass soon to record a train passying by. With my omni mics it'll be brutally bassy!

>>795466
Heh, I guess so
>>
>>795517
Neat pic. Good luck getting the train/storm
>>
>>795571
maybe I can get a train during a rainstorm and call it trainstorm.wav

but anyway, thanks!
>>
>>795353
>maybe you should record anyway anon!

I did.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1466190381435.webm
>>
>>795644
I'm not totally sure what I'm hearing here Samson-anon (that is you right?). Is that pulsing squealing sound the rigs? Might actually be interesting to get closer to!

But yeah that's pretty overpowering to everything else
>>
>>795650
Those are frogs. The rigs sound like a distant machinery hum nearly like airplane noise..
>>
>>795675
oooh ok. sounds a little like peepers, which I figured were over and done with by now.
>>
>>795677
Tree frogs. They look like patches of white-grey-blue-green lichen you see on trees. "Hyla Versicolor" Only there's 1,000s of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QhHB6_8SQU
>>
>>795691
aah they sound different than the brown tree frogs i get in my neck of the woods. plus i usually hear a few or a dozen, not thousands!

all makes sense now
>>
File: 1463062567351.jpg (415KB, 900x1298px) Image search: [Google]
1463062567351.jpg
415KB, 900x1298px
Crazy thread, exactly what I've been looking for.

I'm collecting resources for a future video game I had in mind, and I am not a big fan of boring sound libraries that everyone has access to, and want some high quality unique ambient, sound effects.

Didnt know it was such a huge science to it however.

I have alot to read here.

I'm mainly interested in outdoor ambient noise, recording individual animals at my buddies farm, but also "macro recording", basicly super sensitive microphone, doing very creepy or interesting sound clips from household items, then skew them in soundprogram. Ghosts, demons, spooky noises in hellish deep caves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhF4QEPj4FY

Sorry for blogposting just amazed this thread appeared and its the exact one ive been looking for
>>
>>795696
Yeah, seems everything I record, /frg/ has trouble understanding for some reason.

(headphone warning)
http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1466199556089.webm
>>
>>795751
well could be the mic, could be the SN ratio which is a bit high sometimes, plus there's just a lot of regional sounds and/or species that would be foreign to a lot of people.

>http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1466199556089.webm
and hwut pray tell is this??
>>
>>795769
>SN ratio which is a bit high sometimes

I blame the netbook I was using. The damn thing seems to make the mic underpowered and mono. Full PC recording is fine though.

>and hwut pray tell is this??

Babbys first Paulstretch. Old series for an event, "The Long Afternoon". Surprised I still have them. Samples are from all sorts of outdoor stuff. Nothing really impressive, just for ambience which is super easy to do.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1466202379326.webm
>>
returning to this thread to post this label which I just found!
http://www.impulsivehabitat.com/
I discovered it because my friend has a release on it but they've got a shit tonne of field recording releases on here from all over the world and they're all freely downloadable! Amazing!
I'm so happy to have found a massive wealth of music to work my way through. I might even send them a demo in the future. They accept demos if you guys want to release your stuff. Just check out their 'contact us' page.
Anyone else know of any good netlabels like this for field recording or experimental music?
>>
I find it so funny that this thread has been so successful here on /out/ yet similar threads are continually derailed by the moronic denizens of /mu/ (I'm getting pretty fatigued with the hostile and anti intellectual culture on that board). Are you guys also into experimental music at all?
>>
It's thunderstorm sason here in Europe, unusually so, with the flooding and all that. There's a storm every two days or so, it's fucking crazy. When my finals are over I hope I'll catch some.

>>795947
Yeah, but I never talk about it. People on the internet are so insufferable about music. And /mu/ is a hellhole, man.
>>
>>796159
yeah it's sad there's no actually good forum for discussion of experimental music. At the risk of drifting too far from the /out/ topic, what kind of stuff are you into?
>>
>>795947
>>796225
>>>/diy/ and >>>/out/ are the places to be for actual discussion on hobby topics
>>
>>796225
Not /frg/ because I haven't started. But I'm into glitch, ambient (of course), industrial and experimental techno.

This thread got my attention because I've becoming a bit obsessed with some daily sounds of my comunes in the metro, in a big city. Some sounds are so engraved in the minds of millions of people, it gets me always. Like the sound of a train coming through he tunnel, its like a machine beast luring from the abyss.
The idea of starting recording those sounds has been in my mind for a few months. So I decided to lurk to see what gear to buy to get into this.
>>
File: DSC02446.jpg (466KB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02446.jpg
466KB, 1140x760px
bumping thread (R: 200) with pic of my recorder, which has been inawoods since yesterday evening. now I must talk the kids into hiking back there
>>
>>796921
No weather protection or anything?
>>
File: DSC02451.jpg (301KB, 864x576px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02451.jpg
301KB, 864x576px
>>796967
>weather
Weather was God-tier 0.000% chance of rain, no wind, full moon, summer solstice approaching, humidity around 50% (worries me some.) i've been doing insane things with my Sony for over a year so when the mics do crap-out it'll just be the price paid for my recordings. have 2 tarps the twing and zing but using them here would draw more attention to my activity in state forest.
boys stayed up late playing video games, gonna bribe them with a trip to candy shoppes in Nashville. Daughter will want ice cream.
>me: retrieve recorder, happy Father's day
>>
>>796921
>>796999
Do you ever leave a note saying who you are and to please not bother the nature recorder?
>>
>>797015
I've considered making it look like an official research project. my familiarity with this location dates back to a work-study job as field collector for a university lab.

16 hours and the Sony was still going strong apparently no worse from neglect. I on the other hand am pretty tore up from the hot sun, long hike up the hill and some craft beer at local brewpub. the recording looks to be worth the trouble
>>
>>795572
Faggot
>pls record one
I really want to hear that.
>>
>>795704
Not blog posting anon, it's a legitimate post. I don't know much, just lurking because I think it's interesting.
That video was neat. Good luck with your project.
>>
File: P60618-120530.jpg (2MB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
P60618-120530.jpg
2MB, 1224x1632px
i got /out/ this weekend and tested the s-87 dr60 setup. Got my car fuck stuck but made it out alive.

Clyp.it/cgycfvhf

Clip is first some city rain and me drunk af playing bass, then nighttime inna woods with speed/pitch fuckery, then daytime forest with the same.

I also just got a 26000 mAh usb battery, about to have crazy long working times.
>>
>>798092
sounds nice anon! from what I can tell the dr-60 preamps are indeed better than the dr-40 ones!

>1 - city rain with bass, drunk
i kek'd
>>
File: tfwfrgbf.png (45KB, 489x423px) Image search: [Google]
tfwfrgbf.png
45KB, 489x423px
>tfw no /out/ /frg/ bf to go on exotic recording expeditions with
>>
>>798133
If I was gay I'd go.
>>
ßump just so it doesn't die, not like this.
>>
File: DSC02458.jpg (144KB, 869x583px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02458.jpg
144KB, 869x583px
With the weekend almost here, requesting some pointers from the more technically savvy recordists here. non-audio person wanting to capture nature/ambience must choose from (pic related) various settings. I understand clipping and watching levels. sometimes loud percussive noise generates high-pitched harmonics or artifacts. is this just limitations of my device or damage i've caused? i've tried S/N "on" but normally leave everything else off.
>>
>>800574
what format are you recording to? I would always choose the option with the least processing. Those tools are great for doing news-gathering and sound bites but you want plain steady audio for ambience.

I would use 24bit wav (LPCM - as opposed to MP3 or DSD), which means you want the SBM off (that's just a fancy dither that isn't wanted/needed with 24bit audio), limiter off, and S/N 100dB off.

Having all this stuff shut off means you want to get optimal recording levels from the beginning, which can be tough but it'll sound better. Now, if you're getting quiet-ass ambience with the chance of a thunder crack or something transient and loud, maybe you'd want the limiter on so it doesn't clip, but I still wouldn't use it... I generally can fix clipping easier than fighting with the horrible squashing volume wobble you get from triggering a stock limiter. Oh also, Low-Cut should be off too for cardioid mics unless they're being hand-held and there's handling noise, or if they're super close to the sound source, which for ambience they won't be.
>>
>>800676
Ok thanks for reply. Last year I had all those settings off, tried s/n this year. Always record in dual format both wav and MP3 haven't thought of checking the wav to see if the same artifacts are there
>>
>>800713
You recording 16 or 24 bit for the wav? the S/N 100dB setting is kinda neato from what I can see but it manipulates the input level automatically to get the best S/N ratio possible which is cool but I still don't prefer anything to change while I'm rollan'
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (126KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
126KB, 800x600px
>>800727
Boy do I feel stupid, the wav files don't have the same defect as the mp3s that are simultaneously created. My wav.s are usually 24 bit 48khz but i just archive them to external drive and use the mp3s. (but not anymore!) it does pay to talk to somebody who knows their stuff
>>
>>800879
If you can change the bitrate of the MP3s so they're 256 or so it might not get those artifacts. But, the quality of the MP3 conversion istelf (and not just the destination bitrate) could still be the culprit. I use an app called "Pro Audio Converter" to turn all my recordings to MP3 and it seems to do a better job that most others I've tried. Either way, just go with recording wav and convert later I says.

Anyway, it's a relief to hear that the distortion/aliasing/artifacts aren't being caused by the hardware!
>>
File: i_laiek_frg.gif (3MB, 351x251px) Image search: [Google]
i_laiek_frg.gif
3MB, 351x251px
ßump
>>
Check out the Zoom H2n guys. They released a firmware update to let you record Ambisonics with it which you can then render binaurally.

I'll try to dig out my H2n tomorrow and record a demo to show the effect.
>>
>>802917
Cool beans! It's something you could do in post before but having it built-into the firmware like that is breddy sweet. Looking forward to a demo bruh!

Also this reminds me that it's been awhile since I've checked on the DR-40 for firmware updates...
>>
>>802923
>something you could do in post
You mean encoding spot mics to a composite soundfield?
>>
>>802944
well you can take XY and MS pairs and run them through a matrix to derive multiple discreet channels or ambisonic polar patterns, either of which can be run through binaural/HRTFs. But you need fantsysoftware, plugins or some Matlab chops to pull it off. It's neato they made some firmware that preps it for you
>>
>>802975
oh right, yeah. it's only a 2D (horizontal soundfield) but for ambient soundscapes and playback with generic HRTFs (which have shitty elevation accuracy without head tracking) it's bretty gud
>>
File: bally.jpg (2MB, 1924x1333px) Image search: [Google]
bally.jpg
2MB, 1924x1333px
>>802979
Binaural is fun. I wish I had better mics for Binaury™ though, but shit's expensive. Were supposed to have a really bad infestation of gypsy moths this year so in a couple weeks I'm hoping to setup Binaury with a flashlight on it and hope it gets bombarded with moths in glorious semi-binaural.
>>
>>802982
idk about that mate, a polished bowling ball will absorb a lot less high freqs than a watery fleshbag of a human head. i found when recording with the zoom that things sounded more natural with the deadcat on even when it wasn't windy, just because it was less bright/analytical on the spectrum.
>>
File: IMG_0098.jpg (289KB, 933x1212px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0098.jpg
289KB, 933x1212px
>>803011
it depends entirely on the frequency response of the mics you're using first of all, meaning you could use an EQ to de-brighten the bright zoom mics rather than a deadcate or vice-versa. but also I'm not sure what you mean by "absorb" in this case. the mics are set into the ball, no sound reflected off the ball gets to the mics. it's entirey on-axis and refracted sound, and with time delay and level difference. the sphere makes it symmetrical from all directions which solves a lot of problems, and the density makes it block low frequencies similar to the human head. there are lots of sphere-designs for mics, it's a nice binaural compromise that doesn't try to encode elevation cues. if i coated the ball with latex rubber, plasti-dip, or even felt, it wouldn't have a huge difference on most sound sources.
>>
>>803016
>refracted
meant diffracted of course. forgiveness please.

https://youtu.be/W647gDp-u-s
>>
>>802982
Oh, one night I got this. Sometimes something hits the mic due to the tiny led on it when recording. Not sure what it is, but the other sound is a frog.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1467069562102.webm

>tfw not stereo
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>803035
that's a freakin cool sound. sounds like dat bass!
>>
>>757496
really stoned hunter here, what the fuck is the point of field recording?
>>
File: IMGP9975.jpg (1MB, 2048x1356px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP9975.jpg
1MB, 2048x1356px
>>803135
I could write a long treatise on why I do it, and love it, and think it's valuable, but really it's the same reasons as photography, or making documentaries, or keeping a diary.
>>
some kids getting splashed by cars driving through flooding

https://archive.org/details/flooding_201606

(use headphones)
>>
>>803571
well this works pretty well. I like it! what sort of kids enjoy being splashed by roadwater though :S

i see it's with the "square speaker layout" which is assume is just a symmetrical quad setup? what are the other options? ITU surround, etc?
>>
>>803576
other speaker options are available here: www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015

i've found the square arrangement to introduce the least colouration
>>
Here's some rain / gutters / wind in the trees

https://archive.org/details/h2n_doublejump_Rain
>>
File: lg_1_1_412323.jpg (71KB, 824x347px) Image search: [Google]
lg_1_1_412323.jpg
71KB, 824x347px
>>803578
wait so you're using the stereo files with the binaural plugin or are you doing this with the firmware update inside the H2N?

also I use Wave Arts' Panorama plugin to make tracks binaural, it too funner'n horsecocks

and mmm like dat deep rain
>>
>>803591
I'm using the spatial audio firmware update then rendering it bimaurally with HRTFs using the ambix VSTs in Reaper.
>>
>>803603
just read the pdf about it. that's wicked cool that it bundles omni, side, mid-front and mid-back channels into a 4ch wav like that. would be fucking awesome to deploy it real-time with that 16-camera google jump setup.
>>
>>803609
Pdf link ?
>>
>>803706
https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/press-release-pdfs/H2n_GoogleJumpPR_ENG.pdf
>>
>>803708
well the jump camera doesn't output spherical video in realtime afaik, but you could combine it with a ricoh theta s
>>
>>802846
>you're gonna shoot your eye out!
>>
>>802923
>Cool beans!
>people still unironically use this term
Surprised you didn't spell it "kewl"
>>802982
That looks like a planet.
>>
File: zCRW_0112.jpg (91KB, 1024x637px) Image search: [Google]
zCRW_0112.jpg
91KB, 1024x637px
>>805292
>Surprised you didn't spell it "kewl"
i'm a douche, not a tard, anon

>>805292
>That looks like a planet.
mhm! look and listen. look and listen.

https://youtu.be/SLuW-GBaJ8k
>>
>>795704
same!
>>
>>805297
Aewsome pic.
Speaking of planets and sound, check this out:
https://youtu.be/oWTC7P1Dprw

The voyager program is so based.
>>
>>805311
I love this! I bet earth would sound just as cool/kewl if we had a distant satellite to record its electromagnetic waves. Reminds me of this - one of my favorite things to watch and listen-to. NASA had the boffins at Skywalker Sound remove a lot of the distortion that was orignally there and generally clean it up.

Field recording to the extreme
https://youtu.be/2aCOyOvOw5c
>>
File: NPS-sound-maps-1.jpg (2MB, 2000x1303px) Image search: [Google]
NPS-sound-maps-1.jpg
2MB, 2000x1303px
>tfw the National Park Service has a "Natural Sounds and Night Skies Division" that payrolls a small cohort to monitor sound and light pollution in the parks, and make soundscape recordings in every season to monitor changes in wildlife populations
>tfw your recordings sound better than these
>tfw they aren't hiring
help

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/29/483241647/beyond-sightseeing-youll-love-the-sound-of-americas-best-parks?utm_campaign=storyshare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social
>>
>>805634
Most of those people work for a university and then are hired by the NPS. Usually they're doing a masters or a doctorate. Permanent positions are probably in-house hirings only.

It's a pretty awesome gig, met a few of them last year working at Devils Tower.
>>
>>805637
Yeah they're all university boffins. Nevertheless.

And I got my Masters degree maybe I should persue a PhD or something... bioacoustics, hydroacoustics, suttin' like that
>>
>>805638
Colorado State in Fort Collins works with them a lot. That's where one of the offices are located.
>>
File: light pollution map.png (1MB, 5510x3121px) Image search: [Google]
light pollution map.png
1MB, 5510x3121px
>>805634
Aw, yus, another map to add to my collection of maps for overlaying to find the best spots for my misanthropic vacations.
>>
>>805796
if you follow the link that article has a much higher res picture (5000x) that's like 17mb. You can really zoom-in and get a lot of d'tail
>>
>>781348
>>781367
>tfw house-sitting for a friend tonight
>there's thunder and lightning
>my gear is all elsewhere
fuck FUCK fuck fUck fuKc
>>
>>805933
That happens every time I leave my camera at home. I call it, "seeing a leprechaun." You always see a leprechaun when you forget your equipment.
>>
>>805965
luckily it didn't end-up being too much of a leprechaun tonight anyway. i'll recawd my thunder soon enough. tonight wouldn't have been a keeper.

but speaking of 'tography, I did bring my camera and tried to get some decent lightning shots. whelp, nothing really. the storm just wasn't happening the way they said, and i wasn't shooting the right direction or at the right time.

fucking leprechauns man!
>>
>>805366
MUH DICK
>>
>>805933
Are you MA anon? CT anon here and most of that storm system missed me. Only got a few decent claps of thunder.
>>
>>806251
Yep, and we didn't get much shit either. I tried to take some photos but there wasn't much goingon
>>
>>806251
It was insane on Cape. Best T~storm we've had in at least 10 years.
>>
>>806256
Sheeitte. Well next time we have thunderstorms mabye I'll come visit. We always get missed in central MA
>>
>>806256
So jealous.
>>806255
Figured you were. Better luck next time.
>>
>>806488
>always get missed
So do we, they blow in from the west and when they hit the canal they go north or south of me.
Coolest place on Cape to get nailed is Brewster-ish. You can hear it roll in, then over, then back out to sea. 1 thunder can rumble for 10-15 minutes.
>>
>>806672
Field trip! Let's get ice cream and record some thunder. Not even homo.
>>
>>806677
I'm down. Ice cream is good. Gonna road trip to Maine soon for some.
>>
File: IMGP7148.jpg (359KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP7148.jpg
359KB, 1000x662px
>>806970
>Gonna road trip to Maine
That's cool too. I'm trying to plan some expeditions myself for the coming weeks but I'm having a hard time with the logistis. I don't really have my own transportation right now. In August I'll have a car for a couple weeks at a time so maybe then I could do some. In the meantime still scoping-out more locations close to home though! Like pic related
>>
File: 1458420422639.jpg (203KB, 1600x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1458420422639.jpg
203KB, 1600x1100px
bump
>>
>no oil rigs: check
>no 4th July Fireworks: check
>no airplanes: check
>no more rain: check
>grey tree frogs: check
>using PC instead of underpowred netbook: check

I'm glad I got one of those long USB cords that can reach outside my window from my PC. I got this less than 30 mins ago.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1467772062850.webm
>>
>>808954
Nice Sam! Definitely sounds better not through the netbook! I'm still not sold on the hypercardioid mic from a distance but there's a ton of potential with it. Anyway, nice clean recording. I wish I had that much going on outside my window.
>>
>>808976
It'd be nice if it wasn't mono. At least I can't point it where I want.

If the mic was near those frogs the mic wouldn't be able to handle it on the PC. The distance of that recording is about 25-30 feet from them.

I might put a rain cover over it and let it record all night so I have something in the winter to listen to.
>>
>>808981
Yeah that's not a bad idea. One thing I keep noticing with my recordings (and photos, for that matter) is how much more valuable they are a year or two years later. Doesn't always seem worth the effort at the time.
>>
bump with noise

https://soundcloud.com/digrpat/160704th
>>
File: seasons.png (10KB, 383x467px) Image search: [Google]
seasons.png
10KB, 383x467px
>>809749
Aaaah this is comfy. I can't believe I didn't record any fireworks at all. Could have just setup in the back yard because the whole town was rednecking fireworks that night. I was powerful hungover from the night before so I guess I just dgaf at the time. O well.
>>
>>805796
You might wanna check out these 2 websites, I use them to find good locations for night photography.

http://www.astrometeo.ca/
http://www.blue-marble.de/nightlights/2012
>>
>>809833
undelete dis
>>
>>808954
Good job. What /wsg/ thread did you post in?
>>
>>810660
This one >>>/wsg/1170860
>>
>>810675
I forgot they had those threads. Very handy.
>>
File: DSC02541.jpg (418KB, 1036x991px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02541.jpg
418KB, 1036x991px
bump with weirdness:

https://youtu.be/M5CYFuh9mcM
>>
>>812786
Oh yes, I was waiting for this. Pretty cool.
>>
>>812786
That's some pretty crazy swoops there digger. Still hoping to attempt the ol' flashlight trick with my binaural ball. Phuket, maybe i'll do that tonight. The gypsy moths are supposed to be just about prime now. Just gotta figure-out the best way to rig up the lamp...
>>802982
>>
>>812794
Bushnell 3 color flashlights have a violet "blood tracker" mode. this is the best wavelength for nocturnal insects. also maple syrup is a perfect food for moths. I dumped a quart of it on the trunk of that tree
>>
File: bynorry.png (18KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
bynorry.png
18KB, 700x500px
>>812798
Well I have a Coleman headlamp that has red and blue... the blue supposedly being the bloodtrackiest color but I don't think it's quite the same as the real thing. I think I'll just use the whole lights and put it on Binaury like a regular headlamp. I have a second headlamp (without a strap) that I can attach so i'll have a white light for each ear. Might work... just gotta dig-up some batt'ries.

please enjoy my artists' rendering
>>
>>812802
on second thought the weather forecast isn't so hot, i'll wait till wed night when it's warmer out and not likely to rain
>>
File: IMGP0519.jpg (1MB, 2048x1355px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0519.jpg
1MB, 2048x1355px
>>812802
>>812808
We're rollan! Wish me luck.
>>
File: mystery_pond.jpg (393KB, 864x576px) Image search: [Google]
mystery_pond.jpg
393KB, 864x576px
>>814212
>rollan!
hooah!
>>
>>814230
that pond looks like it would eat and/or dissolve any part of your body that you put into it
>>
>>814235
Prefect! Where is it located?
>>
File: cclake.jpg (574KB, 1062x562px) Image search: [Google]
cclake.jpg
574KB, 1062x562px
>>814310
I've been looking for "mystery pond" all summer. Most of the ponds in my forest are up on ridge tops . The DNR dug them to help the deer population. I remember from 25 years ago there was one pond deep in a valley. The mystery was who dug it and why. also particularly hard to find since it doesn't show on USGS maps like the other ponds. earlier this season I was within 300 feet without knowing it. the hardwood festooned valley sides makes this place isolated from traffic noises
>>
>>814230
>>814385
Something that small wouldn't be on the map. It looks like an old abandoned watering hole for cattle.
>>
>>812802
>>812808
>>814212
Meh didn't get jack shit. Gonna have to re-tool and try again with a more complicated setup.
>>
>>814385
Good luck in your search. When you find it let me know so I can dump a few bodies.
>>
File: digr_country.png (2MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
digr_country.png
2MB, 640x1136px
>>814615
actually I was being a little obscure in my comments cause I did indeed find it (hence mystery_pond.jpg) not going to share the exact loc until I do a few recording sessions there. Sound of body thrown in would wreck ambience. about 5 years ago police acting on a tip had a creek near here diverted and dredged. all they found were some raccoon bones.

>>814609
>pouring maple syrup on the Jecklin disk
>>
>>814788
>>pouring maple syrup on the Jecklin disk
lolno

Also, we're about to get a severe thunderstorm and I can't record because everyone has fucking air conditioners on. Ruins every goddamn recording. FUCK
>>781367
>>
>>814810
lol I have some tree frog recordings with the mic sitting on top of my window AC outside while it is on. I was going to play with the sounds, but the tree frogs' chirps don't really stretch out very well. Turning a 1 min sound bit into a 10 min sound bite still sounds like grey tree frogs, but the AC unit is awesome at least.

Maybe I'll play around tonight with the AC minus the frogs. I think they've settled down since there's been no rain lately.
>>
File: clipping.jpg (192KB, 1274x769px) Image search: [Google]
clipping.jpg
192KB, 1274x769px
https://archive.org/details/mystery_pond
https://youtu.be/ACfn5IeAeSU
>>
>>814788
what app is this
>>
>>817018
Topo USA
>>
>>817016
looking forward to listening to this later
>>
>>814810
>severe thunderstorm
They keep missing me. Last one was only a few miles north of me, so pissed.
>>
>>819356
Might get one of Friday but I've got to pack and setup a campout/BBQ for that night out in the back acres so I mightn't have time to setup and record. We'll see. Still haven't gotten one this year and Friday's the most inconvenient day
>>
>>819363
Are you the anon from mass? I'm going to be in the corner of ct, ny and ma this weekend at Limerock camping as well. T storm would be awesome. Hopefully my site doesn't turn into a mud pit.
>>
>>819521
Yeap that's me. Have fun! Thunderstorms are good if you're in the right situation, but if I get clobbered out in the woods friday it's gonna suck. I'm waterproof but my friends aren't. Between them there's a leaky tent and a hammock that doesn't have a tarp. Plus they just don't do rain. Oh well.

You camping in a tent? There's nothing worse than having a tent site flood and have water spill over the lip
>>
>>819529
>You camping in a tent? There's nothing worse than having a tent site flood and have water spill over the lip

>need to camp at a festival
>my main tent is missing (found out later it was "borrowed")
>have to buy a new tent ASAP
>Walmart special, returned 6-man tent, $50
>gotta leave now, no time for equipment testing
>get to festival and set up tent, nothing at all wrong, excellent deal!
>sun hit tent and ALL the poles snap at the top center of the dome
>holy fuck
>repair them with limbs and duct tape
>all of them snap again later that day. repair again
>spend most of the night in some chick's tent until like 2am
>leave all sticky and tired, it is raining
>get back to my campsite and one of the pole broke again making the entire front of the tent sag where the door it
>tent is bulged out at the bottom on all sides....
>one foot of water IN the fucking tent

I ended up crashing in the tiny tent I set up for all my gear. I actually slept on a pile of gear, half drunk, and like 6 inches from the ceiling of the tent. When I got up in the morning big tent was a literal frog pond complete with grey tree frogs and dozens of clumps of frog eggs. I had the most pitiful tent in the entire campground.

I've never in my life seen such shitty tent poles. They were very brittle.
>>
>>819541
Holy shit that's fucking great! I mean it sucks, but that's a fucking hilarious story anyway.

My friend's dad's a vagabond (homeless alcoholic piece of shit) and he summers in those walmart tents in the woods by the highway. Whenever it rains he almost dies.
>>
File: Picture 289a.jpg (1MB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 289a.jpg
1MB, 2048x1530px
>>819546
Well, I did have lots of fun on that trip despite the shitty tent.

Seems I have a few pics of it when it broke the first time, before I had all my gear to the campsite. That little tiny, green-grey tent, in the background of one image, was my life boat later on.
>>
>>819558
Impressive. what brand was this?
>>
>>819569
I had to look up the logo in the photo, but it is an "ozark trail."

http://www.walmart.com/c/brand/ozark-trail
>>
>>819573
I see, one of those allround hit-or-miss brands. Glad this incident didn't ruin your trip.
>>
>>819529
>You camping in a tent?

Yeah. Wondering if I should make a thread and if I do if I should make it on /o/ or /out/

Knock on wood no flooding.

Good luck getting a tstorm. I'm the faggot that's always clamoring for a good recording from you.
>>
>>819541
Jeez, I 'd have raged so hard. And then again when I'm waking up in a frog party.
>>819546
>Whenever it rains he almost dies.
Kek, that sounded so casual. like drowning bums is a normal and routine thing.

Just realized we're at bump limit
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 101

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.