[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Everyone keeps saying old /m/ died in 2013, what happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 15

File: 5tWNnZe_zps49217844.png (85KB, 319x311px) Image search: [Google]
5tWNnZe_zps49217844.png
85KB, 319x311px
Everyone keeps saying old /m/ died in 2013, what happened?
>>
>>13629694
Don't look at me. I say /m/ died 2007/2009.

The influx of people from SaiGar and Gurren Lagann was nice for a few days, and then they decided to turn /m/ into /v/ 2.0.

Also if you are the bear guy spammer, go fuck yourself. If you are another avatar spammer, my apologies for confusing you, but you can still go fuck yourself for avatar spamming.
>>
That's around the time I stopped coming here regularly. I just felt the atmosphere sort of changed here and everyone suddenly got a lot more pissy around that time, also I started seeing more Gundam/Toku/Modern mecha threads and less threads about the other older stuff that I used to come here for. Not sure what caused it though.
>>
The rise of /m/emes and /m/ ruining /m/ for /m/
>>
Other boards realizing /m/ doesn't have mods
>>
>>13629694
Valvrager.
>>
>>13629694
People saying /m/ was dead
>>
>>13629694
I think that's when I first came to /m/ so it is probably all my fault.
>>
>>13629707
I wouldn't say /m/ is dead yet, but I do agree that Saigar marked the first shift in our userbase. That was when I first started noticing a bit more animosity and general anger among the posts, at least.

That said, even without SaiGAR it seems to me like things would have declined eventually. While /m/ has always had the advantage of being a comparatively obscure board, we're not completely immune from the changes that have taken place for 4chan as a whole. I think a lot of seepage from both popular/notorious boards (/v/, /a/), to a lesser extent boards known for particular things (/pol/ for racism, /r9k/'s host of issues), and weird trolling/memes from other places (the odd jokes /tv/ is known for) would have affected us at some point or another.
>>
/m/ was okay before 2013, the influx of fags from Pacific Rim, /tv/ and /v/'s Gamergate shit is what is killing this board.
>>
>>13629741
No he was 2014, 2013 had cursefag
>>
>>13629746
You and dorkly seem to be among the few remaining guys from the
>don't be a dick
days.

Other than anons of course.

Maybe the decline was inevitable, but I can still be unhappy about it. Now the focus is on trolling, not mecha. The trolls have realized they can even make discussion about a gundam series impossible, and now they have free reign of the place.
>>
>>13629759
>the influx of fags from Pacific Rim
You mean like three people?

>and /v/'s Gamergate shit
Found the Treehouse apologist.
>>
>>13629759
>/v/'s Gamergate shit
I see very little of that to be honest. Mostly I see tumblr shit.

Like yesterday's thread derailed with discussion about institutionalized racism, Muslim immigration, evil Trump, blah, blah, blah.

And the usual /pol/ shit.
>>
>>13629694
Nothings changed, /m/s just full of people who only watch gundam and so those people don't see how mostly civil the rest of the board can be
>>
Meh. I've never really used /m/ as my primary haunt, but I've observed the same discussion over /tg/ time and again.

The answer on both boards is that the people who would become long-term users of the board came about and had fun with it, but then the honeymoon feeling of creativity-induced endorphines ended, they crashed into the monotony of 4chan stripped of its first-time novelty, and blamed the board for the loss instead of looking into the mirror. In short, nothing happened, some nerds just took the board too seriously.
>>
>>13629694
Valvrave rape debates and fall out followed by memes from it, specifically curseguy. Gargantia doing better than Majestic Prince gave rise to a vocal minority. Beargguy popularity. fans of older Kamen Rider not liking Gaim after a lot of people considered Wizard boring. Go-Busters failing when /m/ took a liking to it. SEED Destiny fans finally came out of hiding once Age was over for a while and still found it worse. Guanche wanted revenge on us for picking on him all these years so he banned a crazy guy with divisive opinions that caused massive topic derailments (Chris, if you're reading this, you fucking won, take your beast back). Mods heavily favored Symphogear threads to the point of ignoring other threads. Stuff like that.
>>
>>13629744
Thanks a lot senpai
>>
Build Fighters, Unicorn ep 6, Build fighters TRY, G-Reco, and IBO
That's 5 gundam shows airing in the space of 2 years, and with each, a new cohort of newbies
That in itself isn't the problem, it's just that janitors don't visit often enough (or at all for that matter) to accomadate the bigger population. It's like trying to get the police force of Luxembourg, as it is right now, to manage all of the USA.
>>
>>13629694
Blame Gundam Breaker.
>>
for me /m/ died when generals became the norm. having the same generals until the end of time and having them numbered and having it being the same circlejerk of the same fags doesn't create healthy discussion. i preferred when every front page post would be something different, not %50 generals of the same crap and %50 unique threads. also mods don't like threads about board culture like this one. fucking mods
>>
>>13629814
you forgot origin and GBF and GBFTRY is the same series
>>
File: italiano.jpg (124KB, 680x545px) Image search: [Google]
italiano.jpg
124KB, 680x545px
>>13629775
>so those people don't see how mostly civil the rest of the board can be
topkek

never been to a getter thread huh?

http://desustorage.org/m/thread/13582573
>>
>>13629837
>ctrl + f spic
>60 results
tfw
>>
>>13629821
Eh, Tokufags need to be contained, having a load of threads about SRW/video games would just be kinda out of place and the Gunpla general makes it easier for noobs since everything's there in one place
/m/'s general scene isn't bad. /a/, /tv/ and /co/'s are all pretty bad (in ascending order)
>>
>>13629821

I'm split about generals. Some generals seem to be good (like the KR generals, or a general about a currently airing Gundam show) as they keep /m/ from being swallowed by a billion threads. Before general threads the board was about 30% gundam, 25% toku, and then everything else. Now it's a lot smaller, so there are more threads. (well toku at least, I'll do a count later, but I'm willing to bet Gundam is still 30% or higher.)

Other things it makes no fucking sense to have a general for SRW, Gunpla, etc. If anything, I'm going to argue that those generals have killed discussion for those topics. Would gunpla threads have to put up with the guy trying to derail with Valvrave plamos, snapfit guy, narration guy, etc if they were just regular threads?

And I've missed announcements for SRW games since they didn't get threads, and only appeared in a general where the image had absolutely nothing to do with SRW, and the opening post was the usual fucking copy pasta that never mentioned the game.
>>
>>13629821
>wanting more gundam and toku shitting up the board
fuck off
>>
>>13629866
Honestly nothing wrong with having a Gunpla general. Although there is something wrong with having 2 of them at the same time on different boards.
>>
Old /m/ died probably around when Might Gaine (the tripfag) finally left, which was definitely before the Big 3 Incident of 2013.

I mean, I'm convinced /m/ has never actually been good and it's just one long downward spiral fueled by the refusal to acknowledge the board's inherent rottenness and I've been here since at least 2009 by my recollection, but I can recognize at least one distinct transition in this board's history, the dispersal of the old guard, the void of their absence being filled by naive newcomers who bought into this meme that /m/ is somehow inherently the last bastion of good taste and thus superior to all other boards.
>>
>>13629888
Figured that was coming. Now waiting for mattman or one of the SRW general tripfags to tell me there is nothing wrong with the SRW general.
>>
>>13629907
>gunpla isn't /m/
>SRW isn't /m/

what
>>
>>13629917

he's talking about generals being cancer.
>>
IT WAS ME /M/ IT WAS ME ALL ALONG
>>
>>13629917
those topics are /m/ but good luck trying to have any real discussion in those. they just become circle jerks so they are really a disservice to those topics.
>>
>>13629917
the srw general is the biggest hugbox circlejerk on /m/
>>
>>13629774
Really? More often it seems to be people bitching about Tumblr (or /co/ to a lesser extent) than it is actual over the top social justice discussion.

Hell, these days there's even less of the 'Tomino hates women!' trolling compared to the old days.
>>
>>13629972
AW SUN OVVA BITCH
>>
>>13629992
Mattman needs to get banned at some point, maybe SRW generals will become slightly better then
>>
>>13630129
Why? He's one of the few people in the SRW generals who actually stays on topic.
>>
>>13630129
Outside of having a trip, he isn't really guilty of anything: bad or good.

/srwg/, on the other hand, has no reason to exist right now, let alone at all. If it wants to justify its existence, it's going to have to do more than talk about things that aren't related at all to SRW.
>>
>>13630158
>/srwg/, on the other hand, has no reason to exist right now, let alone at all. If it wants to justify its existence, it's going to have to do more than talk about things that aren't related at all to SRW.

I agree.
>>
>>13629821
There's maybe five generals on /m/, that's hardly "the norm". The tokufaggots and symphocunts are at least mostly willing to keep their shit to themselves, which I call a good thing.
>>
I'm new and don't know what happened, I just wanna lurk and watch giant manly robots fighting each other.
>>
>>13629694
I don't know, but the board just isn't quite the same.
>>
>>13629917
I wish you fuckers would read. I'm not saying they shouldn't have threads. I'm not saying they shouldn't have regular, ongoing threads. I'm saying they shouldn't have generals. When there was a weekly, re-occuring thread, that was fine.

>Silly anon, that's all generals are.
BULLSHIT. And you know it. Generals were created on vastly more populated boards, with greatly higher post rates, to keep extremely things from drowning the boards in threads. They are not just re-occurring threads. SRW and Gunpla are well talked about on /m/, but they aren't aren't overwhelming the board. Gurren Lagann was a topic that could have used a general back in 2007. Kamen Rider Decade was a topic that could have used a general back in 2009(or 10, I forget which). IBO is a topic that could have used a general.

SRW doesn't need a fucking general. It doesn't need numbering. It doesn't need a copy pasta. It doesn't need traditional posts in the first few posts. It doesn't need tripfags that post only in a single thread. It doesn't people referring to the thread as it's own board. It doesn't need memes that appear only in a single thread. SRW doesn't need people being told "no you can't discuss SRW here, you need to go to the general". (Granted no subject needs any of these things, but they are general staples introduced on other boards. Other boards where generals were actually needed.)

We had weekly SRW threads for years without any of this shit, and those threads were just fine. It is a completely unnecessary general, and like I said, I feel KILLS discussion about SRW. Discussion gets drowned out under the circle jerking, and meme posting, and no actual discussion of SRW.
>>
>>13629694
Good encodes of popular (old) shows came out and were widely available (or at least known). Now shitheads can't get away with acting elite cause they saw some old anime.
>>
>>13630010
I see stuff like
>>13626391
>>13626150

all the time

>that's clearly trolling
Poe's law and all that. Regardless this shit in spammed on /m/ constantly these days.
>>
>>13630323
I dunno, those posts are fairly par for the course whenever /m/ has political discussions; nobody in either threw around terms like 'problematic' so I'd say we have a ways to go before reaching the levels the more unsavory parts of tumblr (or /co/) have. If it shows up more often these days that can be annoying though, since /m/ isn't really intended to be a political board.
>>
>>13630394
>If it shows up more often these days that can be annoying though, since /m/ isn't really intended to be a political board.
The politics shit is only really going to be a problem for /m/ (and all other boards for that matter) until the election is over and for a few months after. The tides are changing, but slowly so I expect the fashionable nonsense and the outrage around it to die off slowly, and thankfully /m/ is far from ground zero so I can't see an /m/ infected like tumblr.
>>
I guess I became a man in 2006 or 2007, and to be honest it's been pretty much the same thing the whole time. Big ole cycles of newfags whenever a new robutt cartoon brings them into the fold, we hate them for a bit, then they watch cool stuff and they're cool and we're all cool.

As for general consciousness on social issues, that's kind of the thing right now and probably super important to figure out and get settled, but trying to analyze foreign cartoons from the 70s on our modern value standards is kind of asinine.
>>
you are still the best fucking board

be glad its not a containment zone
>>
>>13630542
>not a containment zone

Ah, to be young and ignorant of the Truth...
>>
>>13630542
/m/ was created as a Gundam Seed Destiny containment board for /a/
>>
>>13630574
To contain Gundam period, actually.
>>
It's alright for you guys, /lit/ is near unreadable due to /pol/ infestation
>>
>>13630310
So you'd rather have half the board full of threads about how x series of x show is the best, and how your taste is wrong? Or 50 topics about the same damn thing?
>>
>>13630586
Funny, I was thinking the opposite about /his/ right now. The /lit/ infestation is pretty high within philosophy threads.
>>
>>13630584
Then how did Kamen Rider and Super Sentai end up here. Were they plauging /tv/ and /a/?
>>
>>13629719
RIP not /m/
>>
>>13630597
Oooh so THAT'S where everyone went
>>
>>13630599
I only caught the middle and the tailwind of the "toku wars", but I was always under the impression /tv/ wouldn't take them and they got slid off frequently, so they tried /m/ because Showa Kamen Riders are cyborgs. I could understand Heisei KR because it's the same franchise, but why Super Sentai got to stay along I will never know.

The elevens classify the two closely together though (seriously, go check a site like amiami, toku and robots are right next to each other) so I thought that had something to do with it.
>>
>>13630628
Well to be fair to Sentai they do have mechs...
>>
>>13630628
Super sentai has giant mecha, how isn't it /m/? I don't even like the shit but c'mon now.
>>
>>13630646
>>13630649
Yes, but how much of it is really about mechs?

Gundam on the other hand is all about it. Same with Battletech and a few others.
>>
>>13630649
>>13630646
It doesn't say a lot for it being /m/ when someone lurking on the board have no idea it even has mechs in it.
With popular things that are actually /m/ I'm pretty sure anyone who's never seen it but been here for a while would not only know that it had robots, but could also give a decent description of them.
>>
>>13630710
I love both Kamen Rider and /m/ and to this day I'm still confused as to why it's here. It's not that I don't like it being here.
>>
>>13630574
>Gundam Seed Destiny containment board for /a/

That's definitely false. /m/'s been around since 2004, we have records showing that.

>>13630628
>>13630660
Wait, what? Of all the Toku franchises, Super Sentai has the best argument for a place on /m/. It's had mechs since, what, its second or third incarnation?
>>
>>13630717
Because Kamen Rider, Sentai and Robot shows follow the same formula until EVA and SEED changed it to bullshit.
>>
>>13630753
Eva did not change mecha in the slightest outside of a handful of clones/ripoffs.
>>
>>13629762
Curse?
>>
>>13629719
How did toku lose? I don't see bring mostly restricted to generals as real loss.
>>
>>13630782
I think he means the side that went "guys, seriously, calm down, this isn't that big of a deal".
>>
>>13630763
Evangelion changed anime as it was the first big hit that was able to sell itself as the main product and not some toy or manga.
>>
>>13630797
Nice blatant lies
>>
File: yamato.jpg (757KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
yamato.jpg
757KB, 1920x1080px
>>13630797
Okay.
>>
>TE banned when other people troll his spoiler threads
>TE banned for using a proxy when not using a proxy
>TE banned for being johnny spaceboots

top kek
>>
>>13630822
>TE banned for being johnny spaceboots
please, he was posting shitty harry potter erotica
>>
>>13630804
If you read any industry comments about anime you would learn that they all agree with me as Evangelion started the late night anime boom.
>>13630814
Yamato did nothing to change the industry business practice at large as after it was still as toy focus as ever.
>>
>>13630832
>Evangelion started the late night anime boom
Eva wasn't even a late night anime.

>Yamato did nothing to change the industry
Bullshit. Besides, in any case it's undeniable that Yamato holds the title of "the first big hit that was able to sell itself as the main product and not some toy or manga," contrary to >>13630797's claim.
>>
>>13630843
>Eva wasn't even a late night anime.
Evangelion timeslot was moved to what would become the traditional late night anime slot.
>>
>>13630599
Sentai came in because /m/ is an all purpose robot board, since it had mecha someone posted it about it once.
Kamen Rider followed, not because of any mecha or cyborgs it had, but because Sentai and Kamen Rider are an inseparable pair. Things are a little hazy, but since the original Kamen Rider was a cyborg people were fine with it.
Then came the flood of "It's toku so I can post about it on /m/!" and this is where most of the hostility towards tokufags comes from.

In all honest, toku is a separate enough genre that it shouldn't be instantly associated with mecha. The perfect place for toku would be /jp/ as that's suppose to be a "Japanese but not anime" board. Of course because /jp/ is full of faggot Touhou players, toku discussion there is minimal. So /m/ has become the dumping ground for all things toku.
And that's how /m/ became shit.
>>
>>13630546
fuck off /co/
>>
>>13630660
How much of Patlabor is REALLY about the mecha?
How much of War in the Pocket is REALLY about the mecha?
>>
>>13630797
>it was the first big hit that was able to sell itself as the main product and not some toy or manga.
I may not be the biggest EVA fan, but I agree with you. Afterall I only have three Asuka figures, a Rei body pillow, every copy of any of the manga published including the book of fan comics recently published in the US, I've only fapped to EVA doujins more times than I can count, I own the Platinum Perfect DVD release of EVA and the Blu Rays, when I'm gardening I only use my EVA themed buckets, I call people on my Nerv Cell Phone, and when I want to listen to music I play EVA's rhythm game for the PSP.

But like I said, I'm glad Evangelion kept its integrity and not sell out with merchandise.
>>
>>13630832
>Yamato did nothing to change the industry business practice at large as after it was still as toy focus as ever.
Arguably if it weren't for the original Yamato, anime would be a lot close to western cartoons in terms of storytelling.
Yamato was one of the first anime to appeal itself to an older audience, without being a full on comedy.
>>
>>13630910
While tokufags are cancer, I'd hardly blame them for /m/ being shit. The problem isn't men in rubber suits, it's trolls coming in with "what went wrong?" "literally flawless" and all other sorts of obvious bait that people just feel some autistic compulsion to argue.
>>
>>13629694

That was the year that /m/ decided that shitposting and raging about VVV was more fun that actually having discussions about mecha anime. Its was a rage fueled high that a bunch of people are still chasing, to the point that every new anime season HAS to have a showed that is considered to be as memetically bad as VVV just so we can relive the VVV days, despite those new shows not being anywhere near as bad.

It was VVV until it was Cross Ange until it was G Reco, and soon enough they will move on to something else. Which isn't to say that those shows are not flawed or worthy of ridicule, but the rapid boardwide fervor what /m/ latches onto them is totally out of proportion. And that started just a couple of years ago.
>>
I left /m/ 2008, or rather 4chan as a whole.
I'm not sure why I came back, been back for about 1 year now.
People were doomsayers back then aswell.
You have a handfull of tripcode users, is anyone using securetripcode at all?

You probably have a silent majority that only lurk.
People mostly start posting because they get angry at shitposters.
>>
>>13629694
I say it died around late 2010-early 2011.

Up until that point, /m/ was still fairly productive back then. We had plenty of anonymous moonreaders willingly sharing information on Japanese raws. This was especially notable for Gundam 00, which was the board's general flavor of the period since 00S1 episode 1 aired, although some of those moonreaders also provided some summaries and info for other series that were politely requested by other /m/anons.

We also used to have chill mods, who dealt with spammers but allowed the occasional /m/ porn threads to go on as long as it was spoilered. They only ever cracked down on Toku ecchi/softcore porn. They also stickied the weekly Gundam 00 livewatch threads until it reached 1k posts to keep down on generals until after the initial one or two livewatch threads were maxed.

During that time, there was a lot of sharing and discussion over various series and a lot of legitimate fun. Not the jaded, bitter, anti-fun self /m/ has become as of late. Oh sure, there was still shitposting and "stop liking what I don't like", but it wasn't as bad as it is now. Granted, all that negative stuff really ramped up around 2012-2014 for a number of reasons (AZ, VVV, etc).
>>
>>13630953
See on /a/ the trainwreck culture is kept in check by the board's size easily drowning out content in an ecosystem of popular discussion driven survival.

When /m/ falls prey to trainwreck culture there's nothing to balance it out. In fact, the board's compulsion to critique and analyze things to an autistic level creates an absolutely inhospitable environment wherein idiots are yelling at each other on both sides with only two prevailing opinions allowed for any given work, one of which is really nothing more than a strawman so as to subtly discredit anyone who has a certain outlook on a given show without actually making an argument.
>>
So you're saying, /m/ of the past where guys with the ''take it easy'' mentality, but now it's elitist like /a/ or some shit?
>>
>>13630989
I'll agree that we don't have as many moonreaders as we used to, though we still have some fansubbers. Starseeker's almost finished with Gyrozetter!
>>
File: M or not M.jpg (301KB, 989x2299px) Image search: [Google]
M or not M.jpg
301KB, 989x2299px
The truth is that /m/ is in a perpetual state of rolling death, it is a Schroedinger cat box opened at Plank time interval with an infinite probability of being both Alive and Dead at any time.
>>
>>13629694
>2013
Newfags amirite
old /m/ died in 2007. This is an actual fact.
>>
>>13631039
I think I'm the only fansubber who still releases things to /m/ these days, used to be several IIRC. Also should be thanking anonyneko for Gyrozetter, he did the main translating.
>>
Is Clawshrimpy still around to shit up Brave threads or whatever.
>>
>>13630628
Super Sentai was here to start with because it has giant fucking robots like every episode and their excuse for bringing Kamen Rider here.

The problem is that the Kamen Rider fanbase outside of Japan primarily consists of the most obnoxious autistic subhuman ESL dogfuckers in the world.
>>
>>13631130
Ah, I see, thanks to anonyneko then, at least he's keeping the spirit of old /m/ alive.
>>
I blame Transformers. Seriously. Fuck off.
>>
>>13629837
He said mostly, dumbass. Dyna Pro fans being retarded is one of the very obvious and well known exceptions to that.
>>13629841
It's a shame they can't keep themselves in check and have to resort to their beloved boogeyman instead when somebody says something they don't like like the morons they are.
>>
I see spic is going full force even ITT
>>
>>13631359
>Dyna Pro
How retarded do you have to be to make a shorthand that only cuts out three letters.
>>
>>13629898
>big 3 incident
Is this explainable or did I have to be there to see it?
>>
>>13630989
>>>13629694 (OP)
>We also used to have chill mods, who dealt with spammers
> They also stickied the weekly Gundam 00 livewatch threads
This sounds really enjoyable. Maybe the problem is the lack of attention mods and janitors give us?
>>
>>13631134
Nope. Last I heard he was doing some subs for the old brave series but that was a few months ago. Haven't heard anything since.
>>
>>13629694
I believe it was the year where Clawshrimpy destroys the credibility of GaoGaiGar. One of /m/'s beloved show.
>>
>>13629787
Faggots like this that get triggered and stuck on the memes and can call out all these fucking random nobodies by name and do it constantly like they're talking about the other retards in their 8th grade special ed class YOU LISTENING STEVEN, HOW ABOUT YOU STEAM-MAN? ARE YOU SATISFIED MECHAMON?? /m/ WASN'T LIKE THIS BEFORE SUPER SHOULDER RANGERS CAME OUT.
>>
>>13630953
So, VVV is to /m/ what the Tortanic was to /v/?
>>
>>13631482
And one of them being a blatant shitposter
>>
File: Valvrager the Agitator.jpg (343KB, 642x1083px) Image search: [Google]
Valvrager the Agitator.jpg
343KB, 642x1083px
>>13631451
Not really.
I mean, it's grossly blown out of proportion but it turned out that answering /m/'s cries about the dearth of new mecha anime only served to give /m/ an excuse to shitpost about how modern mecha is terrible, or how Japan has shit taste for not running a show to the ground with sequels and merch, or some other cancerous behavior where instead of people finding things they like they just find things to hate with a venomous passion.

The real meat lies in a dark, disturbing epic spanning several years concerning the adventures of /m/'s most depraved anons in their quest to backseat moderate the board by any means necessary. The most recent chapter, the ballad of the Valvrager, should be familiar to anyone who has had the misfortune of visiting this pitiful board near the end of 2013.

If you aren't familiar, I suggest you not go further. Only a madman would concern themselves with the doings of the deranged.
>>
>>13631519
Thing is, he isn't wrong, when TE who kept translating anything and everything SRW related people asked was banned there were many threads about it and many derailed threads about it, that is not even going into the whole VVV shitposting with that cursefaggot who later evolved into the Valvrager who goes a goddamn rampage if you respond to his threads with honest discussion instead of just shitposting. I think it was last month that he flooded the board with VVV hate threads because we took one of his threads and talked about the show in good light.
And then came that retarded comment from the A-Pictures ceo and people went apeshit because someone dared try to compete with gundam and because of that G-Reco and A/Z threads ende up being terrible where you if you went against G-Reco you would get shitposted into oblivion with A/Z also being shitposted to death.

Mind you those aren't the only causes but rahter the most recent and the ones who broke the camels back
>>
>>13631565
I still believe that the Valvrager is the Infinite Stratos shitposter, I remember no other anon with such a unhealthy obssession with a anime
>>
>>13631368
Dynamic Pro. There, is that better?
>>13631364
There we go again with the boogeyman.
>>
>>13631603
>boogeyman
Except its real?
>>
>>13630931
You miss the point as Evangelion was not a show design to sell a toy as the merchandise came as result of the show being popular. It is similar how now in day they only create merchandise after they see if the show was a hit or not before they start merchandising. This is different from the Robot model as those shows are created for the sole purpose to sell a toy line.
>>
>>13631644
You keep on telling yourself that and chasing it all you want, it won't make it any less obvious to everyone else that it's just some boogeyman because you're afraid of criticism.
>>
>>13632116
Shitposting isn't criticism.
>>
>>13629694

The only thing I don't like on /m/ are video game threads. They come here under the pretext of mecha but rarely revolve around mecha discussion except for purely mecha games, like ac and gundam.
>>
>>13631134
Na. He did translate all of Grand Glorious Gathering recently though, and started on Dagwon, but after a week where he released four episodes back in September he went silent.
>>
File: Thread makes V2 sad.jpg (479KB, 674x674px) Image search: [Google]
Thread makes V2 sad.jpg
479KB, 674x674px
Gunpla thread lurker here. I apologize for all the fake threads that pop up, for those not in the know we have a couple shitposters. They never seem to get banned/can evade and make threads on their own. And within the thread themselves they're quite annoying. One posts fake announcements for models and another with a trip shamelessly displays his horribly built models, unpainted and then samefags to say he is great when we all know it is him.

While a mere anon's opinion may not matter much to you all, I do feel it has lowered the quality of the board as a good 100 or so people post in the model threads. It gets them riled up to the point where that place has become a venomous cesspool half the time and most anything can be declared to be shitposting (not having a great camera for taking pictures and so on).
>>
>>13629898
> the void of their absence being filled by naive newcomers who bought into this meme that /m/ is somehow inherently the last bastion of good taste and thus superior to all other boards.

Which is funny, because /tg/ has better mecha discussions than /m/ has had in years.
>>
>>13629898
>I've been here since at least 2009 by my recollection
You're a newfag and are not qualified to talk about the board
>>
>>13633678
>6 years of downward spiral means you're too new to point out that it's been 6 years of downward spiral

Ok.

So tell me what those 5 or so years I missed were like, and how things were in fact worse back then.

I'd love for the twist in this story to be that /m/ right now is actually good compared to its early days.
>>
>>13633738
The early days were pretty fun, honestly. When would that be for me...I know I came here when I was in college. Shit, that was in...2007, I think? Maybe earlier.

But back then /m/ was slow, and I mean sloooow. We'd only really have handfuls of posts a day, it was almost hard to believe. 4chan in general was much quieter then, however--of course, /b/ was still a hotbed of activity, and was most notable for its memes. The few things I remember clearly from those days were Cockmongler and Happy Negro being posted a lot, along with the old GEORGE ZIMMER stories. But it was also before the Habbo raids, Chanology, etc. so /b/ hadn't started leaking a lot.

Old /m/ had its problems, sure. Back then, before the creation of /tg/, there were constant arguments between 40k fans and everyone else. There was a famous copypasta (which I've unfortunately lost) based off some guy claiming "40k is here to stay" and calling it a "miniatyres" game was a common form of trolling. This was before toku was a big issue, mind you--it seems that for almost as long as I can recall, "not /m/" has been a rallying cry for some segments of the populace.

Still, we had a reputation for being one of the nicest boards on 4chan, and with some exceptions (Savior Acguy was a notorious shitposter, IIRC, and Black_Knight's been here as long as I have), I'd say it was comparatively well deserved. We once had a namefag, "I apologized on 4chan" who took his name from, well, apologizing on 4chan, when such a thing was considered very rare. Our worst moments were with 40k fans (and occasionally Battletech fans, there was a lot of anti-Western sentiment in the old days on here) fighting with people, but it never got as nasty as, say, Valverager.
>>
>>13633797
>Savior Acguy
didn't he end up joining Scientology?
>>
>>13633797

With all that taken into account, I'd still say it's unfair to deny that "neo-/m/" does have its good points. I think this place is sorta more hostile than it used to be, but it's also accomplished a great deal. When I first came here, VOTOMs: Shining Heresy was considered to be a "legendary unsubbable" anime since no-one had ever managed to do it. Then in...2012 or so, I think, BROhgami Ichirou came along and translated it (excellently) within a few months. We've had all of Dougram subbed, all of Layzner subbed recently, and so on, and so forth.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the old days, but change comes as it comes, and sometimes individuals can't do much to halt it. One can lament the bad, but one should also try to make the best of the good. That's my attitude to how /m/ has changed over the years, at least.
>>
>>13633797
You were a newbie in 2006
I know, because I was there.

>ur worst moments were with 40k fans (and occasionally Battletech fans, there was a lot of anti-Western sentiment in the old days on here) fighting with people
The "40k is better than Gundam" arguments did get old.
>>
Basically, there was a lot of argument over "WHAT IS /m/" back then. This led to the FIRE WARS (by JAM Project) where everyone was Fire Breasting each other. A total number of trider-g7 tripfags were banned. The Janitors were replaced wholesale every 120 000 years. One group of rogue janitors even threatened to rokushin-gattai but Kira Yamato intervened, suggested just communication and settled it with a white resolution. Also, GiNgUiSeR.

Part-by-part, /m/ was divided into different boards. Majority were first diverted to >>>/mu/ and that's why some /mu/ users still mistakenly post threads in /m/. Then went >>>/cm/ and >>>/hm/ . In 2013, the last part of /m/ was finally exiled to >>>/mlp/ (aka /m/'s last part)

To this day you still see many people posting those "Is X /m/?" threads in reference to these /m/'s black history of the one-year-war.
>>
>>13630910
>toku discussion there is minimal
No it's more like "post Toku, get banned." I remember that thread where we got someone about Rider in /jp/ and immediately got banned for it.
>>
File: logh--yang vs yamato.png (226KB, 477x508px) Image search: [Google]
logh--yang vs yamato.png
226KB, 477x508px
>>13633821
>Kira Yamato
Ah, those were the days.
>>
Old /m/ got me into fansubbing
New /m/ made me quit in disgust
This board needs moderation
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 613x606px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 613x606px
>>13633911
Is this still a thing?
>>
>>13633797
>The early days were pretty fun, honestly. When would that be for me...I know I came here when I was in college. Shit, that was in...2007, I think? Maybe earlier.
That would've been around the time most of the new SRW fandom that was building up and gathering speed.

A lot of the new SRW fans started their roots with the FE fandom due to the similarity of the games to some extent. Plus there was a general sense of FE series was starting to stagnate which made a lot of the fandom branch out to look for different games of a similar kind.
>>
>>13631039
We don't even have any real translators of manga/LN/novel works outside of Ore No Twintails, and I hope they continue to work on it.

We used to have several others, but they all gave up and left due to a lack of support on /m/.

If there's one thing I do like about /a/, it's that many of them are willing to at least work on some translations, even if it's shit, with others correcting it. Even /h/ has a few doing the same. /m/ just keeps whining about the lack of translations and rarely appreciates what little the remaining translators do.

I appreciate the Gyrozetter translators and subbers. I appreciate the Twintail translator as well, and hope they succeed to the end.
>>
>>13633947
If people would at least contribute, I'd be willing to overlook so much of the cancerous behavior of this board.

Give and take, don't take and shitpost.
>>
>>13629694
crossposters from /a/, /v/, /tv/ and /toy/
>>
>>13633966
Good old crossposter boogeyman
>>
>>13633939
>A lot of the new SRW fans started their roots with the FE fandom

This is actually exactly how I got into /m/. It was a friend of mine from an FE forum, InsaneZero, who noticed I liked stuff like Gundam and pointed me to 4chan. Man, that was a long time ago...but I'm certainly glad he did. Back in my early college days I was pretty angry and wasn't very mature, but hanging around /m/ and reading/watching a lot of our recommended anime and lit, ranging from Legend of the Galactic Heroes to Armor to The Forever War, really mellowed me out and helped me grow up. So that's one thing for which I'll always be grateful to this board <3

>>13633947
Yeah, though some are also no longer around due to personal problems. Last I heard Crinn's computer went kaput, and I'll try to get the gang started on Dragonar again when I get a bit more progress done on my dissertation (it's keeping me busy ;-; ). But really, there's also the fact that so much stuff has already been translated too...Layzner, L-Gaim, Dougram, VOTOMs, etc. have all met with triumph. There's always more stuff to be worked on, of course, but as we clear out more and more of the old-school series (and the new ones get subs pretty much by themselves) that leaves only things that are progressively more obscure.
>>
>>13633966
I've been shitposting /m/ to death for years.
Good to finally suceed.
>>
>>13633984
At the very least, there's still things like:

>Daimos
>Trider G7
>Jushin Liger
>Baldios
>God Sigma
>Jeeg
>Lamune
>>
>>13633971
Remember, we are the Principality of /m/ declaring independence from the Federal Image Board Confederation
All outsider are suspect.
>>
>>13634219
>Zeon fanboy
Why am I not surprised at the /pol/ rhetoric
>>
>>13634219
You can never be independent from the United States of /a/nimerica.
>>
>>13629837
Not saying the getter fan base is perfect, but it seems to me that thread is literally just you starting shit by memespouting and calling getter shit for no reason, and then replying to yourself with SPICSPICSPIC

Why do I get the feeling you had this planned out?
>>
Mildly curious as I was on a hiatus during that time, but what is this Valverager thing?
>>
>>13636014
Because during that same week he made half a dozen troll threads and even tried to make polls about it. It was absolutely just pathetic to see.
>>
>>13636047
Oh I was there, I just wanted to take a completely unbiased standpoint when calling him out on his bullshit.
>>
File: the_day_o_died.png (1MB, 1337x2070px) Image search: [Google]
the_day_o_died.png
1MB, 1337x2070px
>>13636040
I think somebody who pretends to actually like Valvrave unironically.
>>13636047
>>13629694
It could be worse, this is the cancer incarnate that plagues /o/. This was
>>
>>13636040
Two years of one autist shitposting his hatred for Valvrave. Nonstop. Daily. You'd get like 5 threads a day dedicated to him shitting on the show, cycling his IP so he could samefag his threads.

It turned out in the end all you had to do was talk civilly about the show and he'd go so apeshit that he'd flood the board in more of his shit just to get normal discussion deleted.

It was hilarious in an awful and disgusting way.
>>
>>13631082
What's the font used for the "Giant Robo" text in this picture?

(I mean Giant Faggot, whatever)
>>
While I don't think /m/ is dead yet, Might Gaine leaving is a blow we won't soon be recovering from.
>>
>>13636096
Oh god, that's horrible. Reminds me of the days when those spambots ran rampant all over 4chan, thanks to that...Finnish, or Icelandic, or something (somewhere in Europe) guy.
>>
>>13636874
>Reminds me of the days when those spambots ran rampant all over 4chan
Dream match:
Color Box Virus vs Codename: V
It would be like the time Ritsuko outhacked the angel.
>>
>>13637393
>>>/b/
>>>/b/
>>>/noseriouslyfuckthehellofftobandnevercomebacktothisboardyoufucktardunderage/
>>
>>13637393
Because they might have actually vaguely competent moderators unlike us which means it might not last long. It's not likely, but still. It would also be petty as fuck.
>>
>>13637393
can't spell raids without aids
>>
>>13637393
No, don't join, just delete the shit places.
>>
>>13636874
And it all was to try and advertise his own 4chan-like site.

So we got captcha in counter.
>>
>>13631577
>that cursefaggot who later evolved into the Valvrager
aren't they different people?
>>
>>13637410
>which means it might not last long.
Hijack an admin account and depower them followed by unbanning everybody, watch the fireworks.
>>
>>13637460
>anything other than mass deletion
>>
Could you imagine if someone did that to MAHQ? How many plebs and casuals would cry over that?
>>
>>13637488
That would be fucking hilarious
>>
>>13637440
Valvrager began his work by saying the same shit as cursefag, even saying it was a curse but still kept saying VVV was worse than Seed and whatnot, he dropped that later, do also find it normal that there is someone out there that its this unhealthly obssessed with a single anime?
>>
>>13637681
>do also find it normal that there is someone out there that its this unhealthly obssessed with a single anime?
Yes
>>
>>13637686
I thought you had been banned Valvrager, why are you still here?
>>
>>13633808
That is fucking sad, he was a jackass but that is a sad way to go
>>
>>13633947
There is a guy subbing Medabots right now for /m/

Really most you people complaining are ignoring the good now and ignoring the bad shit from the old days
>>
>>13637689
I'm not valvrager
>>
>>13636874
And that's not even counting benchracing shitposting, which is what they normally do.
>>
>>13629979
Casual Gunpla guy here.
I've asked many questions over a long period of time and found the thread's to be very helpful.
>>
File: 1426086797256.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1426086797256.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>13629694
I'm not sure man.

I don't think its so bad, about...6 months ago? we had a thread very similar to this with 250+ posts 90% of which were all about how much we enjoy our time on this board despite all the garbage.

This board has changed pretty significantly since I've been here but at the end of the day its still /m/ ( thanks based RX78).

I like you guys and /m/ is still home to me. Generals could take a little back seat though.
>>
>>13639381
Shut it, Gundamfag. Go watch something else and stop being new.
>>
>>13639381
Mean.
>>
File: homingbeacon troposphere.jpg (8KB, 200x213px) Image search: [Google]
homingbeacon troposphere.jpg
8KB, 200x213px
>>13629694
>old /m/ died in 2013, what happened?
old /m/ died. we're it's twin brother Sven.
>>
>>13629972
YOU ALL BOUGHT IT HOOK LINE AND SINKER

YOU ALL BOUGHT IT EVEN MY FANS BOUGHT IT EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU WERE MADE FOOLS OF
>>
>>13629694
A/Z and G-reco happened.

IBO was the last nail in the coffin.
>>
File: m.png (8KB, 813x139px) Image search: [Google]
m.png
8KB, 813x139px
>>13629694
Truth to be told...
>>
>>13636014
Because you're stupid and like to assume that only one person could possibly dislike a fanbase and that said person would go out of his way to shit up a thread like that?
>>
>>13629694
2013 was the year I started tripfagging
I killed /m.
>>
>>13643394
prove it senpai
>>
File: 1450042926095.jpg (101KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1450042926095.jpg
101KB, 600x600px
>>13642884
>spoiler

Seriously that would make good anime
>>
>>13634058
>>Lamune
That show is fucking cursed, I tell ya. I spent a weekend digging up info for the ancient subs from the VHS days. Turns out? Even back then, it stopped at episode 15.
>>
>>13643667
Christ, really? That's pretty bad.
>>
>>13634058
>Trider G7
Pretty sure that Luurah got raws for that one. He just either needs a translator, or an editor/checker.
>>
>>13636047
He even tried forcing that nonsense in the SRW threads a few times. He was thankfully ignored.
>>
>>13633984
On the bright side, Luurah is dedicated to taking on the mostly quirkier stuff, so you won't need to go into the bottom of the barrel. Also, there's still one other Kanda series left (Galatt) after Dragonar, putting aside Mellowlink maybe needing a retranslation.
>>
>>13629694
4chan in general had a large cultural shift in which "ironic shitposting" became a way to excuse retardation.

/b/ brought advice-dog faggots, /pol/ brought stormfront, /v/ brought gamergate, /g/ brought... more /v/, /a/ brought LN/moe fetishists, /r9k/ brought PUA/MRA/assorted other fucking idiots. 4chan became less of a place to discuss actual content and things as well as a hive for trolling, and became a place for stupid people to bitch at perceived social/political/cultural issues.

New people coming to the boards saw that shit, assumed it was part of board culture and was funny, and ran with it. Hence why we have ten thousand fucking frogposters per second on every board, people get called cucks instead of *fag, and so on.

/m/ being obscure does not mean that it's immune to it, though. I mean, 4chan is hardly an obscure, small site any more.
>>
>>13644523
So, what you're trying to say is that 4chan, ironically enough, became a amalgam of both tumblr and reddit? The two things it hates the most?
>>
>>13644523
I think /m/'s hyping of G-reco has brought the massive shitposting from those who hated it in recent months.

IBO has amplified it as they use it to bash previous show in a long running franchise.
>>
>>13644585
Gundam suffers from the Zelda syndrome
>>
>>13644576
Pretty much.
>>13644585
G-Reco shitposting is insane. I see it in practically every gundam thread. I do get a feeling that it's only a handful of people posting the /m/ equivalent of guaranteed_replies.jpg, though, and everyone else is too autistic to let it go.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.