[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your major /Lit/ ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 40

File: 1488800149512.jpg (302KB, 960x684px) Image search: [Google]
1488800149512.jpg
302KB, 960x684px
also, is this image accurate ?
>>
>University
>Worth it

not by a fucking long shot, get an apprenticeship or a straight-up job. Learn a craft and get as good as you can at it, saves you debt and time in the long-run.
>>
>>9197173

None
>>
>>9197182
I don't want to do manual labor though.
>>
>>9197173
>literature
>75%
lol
>>
>>9197173
It was literature. It seems accurate for that one--about a fourth of my peers didn't understand how job searches work and lamented ever getting the degree.
>>
>>9197173
Physics.

Worth it,. since you don't pay for education in Europe (in most cases), you can actually start your life with some money if you live in dormitory (almost free) and work part-time.

Yet, I'd like to know more about humanities so I wouldn't get baited by 'Start with Greeks'.
>>
>>9197208
Well I guess it comes down to mentality and work-ethic.
I'm (probably) at the same junction as you are. Education or work? I'm personally done with education, I don't think the environment is correct for me and so I'm moving on, I have no work experience to an apprenticeship is the best option for me. Plus I believe a working environment is best environment for me, especially to learn a craft. If you want to spend the next five or so years rotting away in a dorm filled with people you hate, doing a course you disdain and come out knowing as much as you did when you went in, but now you have debts and even less life experience then be my guest.
>>
>>9197173
Engineering, yes, kind of. Its subjective.

Based on my experience I'd say it's actually worth it for 50-60% of people.
>>
History.

I don't exactly regret it but I think I'd have enjoyed it much more and got more out of it a few years later when I was past the worst of my awkward adolescent angst phase.

I question the survey methodology that sees respondents almost 50% more likely to say a lit major was worthwhile when compared to History. I think they're very much of a piece in that they can develop your critical thinking and cultural frame of reference but are unlikely to be directly relevant to your future occupation.
>>
File: 1487790083560.png (129KB, 314x278px) Image search: [Google]
1487790083560.png
129KB, 314x278px
>>9197173
>Worthwhile degrees

what is that even supposed to mean?
>>
>>9197222
>years rotting away in a dorm filled with people you hate, doing a course you disdain and come out knowing as much as you did when you went in
Your experience is not universal. Maybe you should have been less retarded and studied something you enjoy.
>>
>>9197173
i am/was a gross stem major. yay le physics
>>
File: 1456098770680.jpg (246KB, 700x871px) Image search: [Google]
1456098770680.jpg
246KB, 700x871px
>tfw chemist

feels good lads
>>
File: spittake.png (32KB, 600x391px) Image search: [Google]
spittake.png
32KB, 600x391px
>>9197537
what happened to harold
>>
>tfw math major
>tfw most classmates more lit than lit majors
>>
>>9197562
That's Shulgin you ignorant fuck
>>
>>9197342
Not being a net drag on society after you graduate.
>>
I didn't finish high scool I am what you'd call life's boy.
>>
Is psychology really so bad ?
>>
>>9197219
Could you elaborate? I'm currently studying lit, and it seems fine to get a job within the arts.
What do you mean by 'how job searches work'? And what job did you end up getting?
>>
File: 1488517111413.jpg (18KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488517111413.jpg
18KB, 480x480px
>>9197572
>yfw $300k starting
>>
>>9197633
Why is $300k a meme?
>>
File: Putin-knows-best-sw.jpg (393KB, 1065x870px) Image search: [Google]
Putin-knows-best-sw.jpg
393KB, 1065x870px
>>9197173
>Modern Languages
Russian/Ling major here
>>
>>9197572
I don't believe you
>>
>>9197173

I am a two time college dropout.

Once for Business Administration.

Next for Computer Science.

Currently I work as a VIP Host for a Vegas nightclub and I repair iPhones during the day.

I do alright, I can do better and I don't necessarily think I want to go back to school - but a friend insists I get all the free money from the retarded leftists I can for going to school just because I'm not white and roll with it; in short I may go back.
>>
File: Trump was here.jpg (137KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Trump was here.jpg
137KB, 960x960px
>>9197572
Wrong
>>
>>9197173
Reminder that all majors are worth it if you go to a top school with a good recruiting network and have good grades.

Anything else is either a waste of time or vocational training.
>>
Welder

Worth it. Learned so much about metals and different welding processes.
Managed to teach myself literature during the time
>>
>not even listing theology
>>
>>9197625
I hope not
>>
>>9197173
Math right now but it really bores me to tears sometimes, I can't imagine myself wanting to do it everyday. On the other hand I spend most of my time reading or thinking about reading. God damn it, im probably going to switch it up
>>
>lit
>75%
Who the fuck are they kidding
>>
>>9197783
You're not going to do pure math unless you go into research/academia anyways. Don't give up.
>>
File: IMG_3344.jpg (55KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3344.jpg
55KB, 409x409px
>tfw oxbridge offer holder
>>
>>9197173
psychology is a sorority girl major so yes
>>
Psychology always seems to attract people who need a psychiatrist in my experience.
>>
I was a lit and philosophy major with a minor in a language and definitely feel it was worth it. I'm an ethics consultant at a major energy company, make p good money, love my job and loved my course of study. What more can you ask for in a degree?
>>
>>9197219
Yep, that about sums it up. Posting from my office right now in communications. I knew the job I wanted and the program that would allow me to achieve that goal.

I understand that not everyone will be afforded the same opportunities, but pending some grand tragedy, everyone receives opportunities of some degree from which they can progress.

It's unfortunate that some don't understand how to leverage a degree, but do we really have to slow down for these people? It's not the program's fault the graduate was an abject failure.
>>
>>9197342
>>9197581
It's personal opinion. It explains right on the chart.
>>
>>9197173
>is this image accurate
Of course not, how is anyone seriously purporting that it is.
>>
>>9197221

>I'd like to know more about humanities so I wouldn't get baited by 'Start with Greeks'
>I'd like to know more about humanities
>I'd like to know more

Start with the Greeks
>>
>>9197222
Oh so cynical
>>
>>9197917
See
>>9197899
>>
>third year of literature
>awful communication skills
>awful writing skills

yup i'm fucked
>>
Electricql Engineering/Philosophy double major
I wanted to do Lit after Engi, but in Russian you can't get second Lit major, it should be only first.
Feels bad, man
>>
>>9197996
>>awful communication skills
>>awful writing skills

You might have low IQ. Can you construct, visualize and think through abstract concepts without issues?
>>
>according to redditors
>>
>>9197720
Because it doesn't fit their STEMsperg narrative: it is 100% worth it.
>>
>>9198021
I'm pretty sure I have a low IQ. The thing is, I'm on course to get a First (which I believe is the equivalent of an American A), but when it comes to things like ordinary casual conversation, whether in person or online, I'm always struggling to find the right word. All the time.

>Can you construct, visualize and think through abstract concepts without issues?

The fact that I don't know what you mean by this is probably telling. Could you elaborate?
>>
>>9197630
Well, the peers that are lamenting all seem to just hold out for "the one", usually a high profile career-type job. They seem to assume they can land a professorship, become a librarian, an editor, a writer, etc. all right after a BA/MA, while having never held another job or even just an internship.

They'll ask for "good vibes" or "prayers" after applying to that big job, and then go on a pity party when they don't get it. But that's just not how you look for a job. You don't only go for the most prestigious work, especially when you don't have anything but a degree to back you up.

Plus the fact that a lot of them aren't even seeking these jobs out themselves; they just see it posted on the job board the university keeps and then it's masses of folks applying for that same thing.

I work grading standardized tests. A little bit off the beaten path, but something perfect for me at this point.
>>
>>9198077
If you can communicate effectively in writing (assuming you can since you're doing well on assignments) but struggle with aural communication, the issue is probably not directly associated with your IQ. Anxiety, practice and additional sociological factors that have formed the way you interact with others in a social environment affect your ability to speak extemporaneously. Obviously, being slow would have the same effect you've described, but you're clearly not at that level of debilitating stupidity.
>>
>>9198077
>The fact that I don't know what you mean by this is probably telling. Could you elaborate?

Say you've read, Plato's Republic or something that requires a bit more thinking than regular novel.

How hard it is for you to visualize the concepts of that book and their internal relations? Can you detect patterns and internal/external relations easily? It's a test I make when I try to learn and it's so hard for me to do it, I don't think learning is supposed to be this hard. Can't write or speak for shit either. It's like trying to drill through titan for me, fuck.

I definitely have sub-100 IQ.
>>
I'm in my second year of my psychology degree. i want to die.
my first semester i realised it was bullshit and useless but i stayed because i didn't know what the hell else i would do (this is the UK where there aren't majors and minors and other classes to switch between). what's worse is I'll have to do further studies in order to have a qualification that can get me anywhere so EVEN MORE DEBT YAY. seriously seriously want to die. they should fail you for even picking psychology.
>>
>>9197173
Getting my a.s. in manufacturing next semester for quick bucks, but I also really enjoy machining.

I'd like to work on a b.a. in English lit afterwards but I have no idea where to begin
>>
>>9198151
>Anxiety, practice and additional sociological factors that have formed the way you interact with others in a social environment affect your ability to speak extemporaneously
I knew this guy in college (damn one of these types of posts)

Dude got mad pussy every weekend, he was the Chad of the School or something like it. Rich, smart, handsome, kept parties at weekends, very social & happy lad.

but he could not hold a speech in front of a class, he even got heart arrhythmias one time when he tried to hold a presentation.

Just nuts.
>>
>>9197675
this p much
uni is a meme, grades are a meme, networking and people skills are all that matters in the end as long as youre not a total piece of shit
> too bad i have none of those :^)
>>
>>9198302
Uni is good as a certificate that you did pass through some kind of higher ed in the field specified.

As long as it isn't some crazy shit tier uni..
>>
>>9198328
Exactly. Ask most who have been in their field for over 5 years. They will tell you that an employer has not once requested to see their grades. Unless it's something specific, like in engineering, an employer wants only two things. 1. Proof you graduated a relevant program to the applied position. 2. A portfolio that demonstrates you are capable of doing the job. This portfolio is the greatest asset, and will be worth more than the degree in a matter of years. But, you obviously could not build the portfolio without the degree first.
>>
>>9197212
>People deriving worth in ways other than numbers on a paycheck

Incredible, i know.
>>
>>9197173
>CS
>That high
No, that image has at least one major flaw
>>
>>9198371
Nothing wrong with educating yourself in a field
There is a problem with investing money in a piece of paper that doesn't earn you money back
>>
Environmental science with a minor in environmental communication here. Feels good. I'm also taking electives: environmental philosophy, environmental psychology, environmental history, environmental policy, etc. I'm literally taking everything with "environment" in the name. It's also interesting how diverse the classes are that have a focus in the environment.
>>
>>9198179
>How hard it is for you to visualize the concepts of that book and their internal relations?

Hmm the closest I've come to testing that is probably a philosophy module I did last semester. I did surprisingly well in it, better than in any of my lit modules.

One problem I definitely have is differentiating and selecting words. For example, if someone were to describe the 1980 American Presidential Election, they might say, "Ronald Reagan crushed Jimmy Carter". There are probably a hundred different verbs you could "crushed" with - you could say destroyed, obliterated, demolished, decimated, annihilated and so on and so forth. My problem is that, in my head, ALL of these words carry the exact same, vague meaning. I don't know what contexts each word is best suited to, so essentially whenever I have to convey that general idea it's like I'm consulting a thesaurus in my head and then picking one at random rather than actually working out which one is the most apt for the thing I'm describing.
>>
>>9198409
The reason it feels good is because I'm doing good in the world, focusing on restoration and health. I'd be interested to see who thinks their degree is "worth it" based on their individual field, because environmental science counts as a life science. Is biology more "worth it" than environmental science? Biology's probably holding the category back since it's so oversaturated. But 74% is still high, anyway.

Do you think "worth it" is more based on pay or their perception of good deeds?
>>
>>9198452
I have the same problem. Liberty translates to freedom translates to liberty in my mind and depedning of teh context it might be a fuck up costing points.

but when I talked about conceptualizing I was talking about "the way you see something with your mind's eye" or something like that. Like a mental picture.

For me creating them is hard, following them to extract information is hard.

Pretty much the only way I can "learn" is if I just parrot it.. which is p. demoralizing. Takes also a ton of time. And if I cock up the first part of the sentence I memorized through brute force the entire thing goes to shit because I didn't really learn it.

feels bat man
>>
Pharmacy.
Doing 3/5 year.
Cook drugs erryday
>>
>>9198452
In a casual conversation, they all do mean the same thing. People understand what you mean generally. If you use the same word over and over, that would probably be worse. For example, wrecked, crazy, awesome, etc.

You might have issues recalling words. I did a bunch of drugs a few years ago so now occasionally a word just won't come to me. I still know what I'm trying to say though, and there really isn't anything wrong with dropping your sentence and saying it differently.
>>
>>9198211
This sort of this is awful, yes.

According to the current meme science, I'm an 'ENTP'. I love to lead and teach people, and absolutely can through written communication, but struggle to speak (English, at least) even one-on-one with people. One exception is my wife, but of course she has gotten used to the odd way I communicate. I've noticed that I often exclude the subject and use clauses oddly, for example.

It's not even social anxiety, it's something else entirely.
>>
>>9198471
>doing good in the world'
No you're not.
>>
>>9198475
Have you ever tried learning an instrument and music theory? I have issues following Kant until I rephrase everything, but since I started music fairly early, I can imagine all sorts of chord movements, extensions ,and melodies over them. I have dreams where I'm playing guitar and coming up with complex melodies and chords.

Math is difficult for me though because I can't focus on it. I have to write everything down now. When I was a kid I didn't have issues with it.
>>
>>9198475
>but when I talked about conceptualizing I was talking about "the way you see something with your mind's eye" or something like that. Like a mental picture.

I'm not sure. If you mean visualising a written description of something like a landscape then yeah I do struggle a bit but I think you mean something else? Maybe give another example?

>>9198502
>You might have issues recalling words ... I still know what I'm trying to say though

Yeah it's pretty much this. My idiomatic (sp?) grasp is shite too. Often I will try to articulate a thought only to find, after much deliberation, that there's a very common figure of speech that encompasses it (for example, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush")
>>
File: norilsk5.jpg (67KB, 720x460px) Image search: [Google]
norilsk5.jpg
67KB, 720x460px
>>9198574
Visualizing an abstract concept. I don't mean to "visualize a bright sun". I mean the thing of which you get your information. Maybe you don't do this then and it's only me.

for example for me the concept of "Republic" leaves a different image/imprint to my mind than "Negative Interest Rate Policy". They form a sort of abstract image/entity in my memory from where I then go and extract information to puke on the paper.

For me forming and using these is hard. I can't rely on this kind of memorizing,learning so my only hope is basically brute forcing and parroting the sentence as long as it takes. In that process I don't really learn it and take it within me. Just something I puke when something triggers the context where I saw the sentence with/attached/related.

So thus as I can't form these "images" I can't really learn these thigns as I can't see the internal and external relations all that well. This is sort of brought into real world when I try to draw mind map which I cannot for the life of me do at all. I just can't do a mindmap it will go to shit and be useless.

>pic unrelated some company dumped their toxins into water at Norilsk.
>>
>Literature
I'm in Aus so my major is commonwealth assisted which means I only pay a quarter of the cost of the course so I'd say yeah, it's worth it.
>>
first year of literature degree at a mediocre university. literally no plans after this, i just went to uni to kill a few years and i've always been passionate about books so i thought why not
>>
>>9198522
Making sure the environment is safe for you isn't doing good?
>>
>>9198665
This is me
>>
>>9198604
ahh I think I see what you mean.

I reckon I'm neither good nor bad at it. I think my struggles in that respect are more to do with laziness. For example, I could read dozens of articles on a topic and think I understand it, but when it comes to relaying this info to someone else I can't do it independently - I have to rely on the work/thinkin of someone else. I guess the best way of explaining it is that my thoughts are too cloudy to be useful.

I still don't get what you mean be sentences though (e.g. "my only hope is basically brute forcing and parroting the sentence as long as it takes"). Do you mean you're just regurgitating the logic and language of the things you learn (via reading) rather than actually COMPREHENDING them? If so, then yes, I'm in the same boat.
>>
File: 1484520573209.jpg (44KB, 600x476px) Image search: [Google]
1484520573209.jpg
44KB, 600x476px
>>9197173
Urban and Regional Planning

Its actually pretty neat, being a very wide field. It encompass transit, infrastructure, eco management, community development, property development, land use law, so I'm pretty happy.

Bonus: Because we do a lot of community advocacy and development especially for marginalized communities, we are pretty much a version of Ethnic/Women Studies that isn't useless and insane. Nothing feels better than being able to look at SJWs and know that you are doing their job infinitely better than they are.
>>
>>9197625
only if you don't go to graduate school
>>
>>9198691
Yeh you got what I mean.

This way of "learning" completely screws up seeing the larger picture and thus, the larger picture's connection to external factors.
>>
>>9198761
>This way of "learning" completely screws up seeing the larger picture and thus, the larger picture's connection to external factors.

I think the best way to improve is to throw yourself into situations where you can't get away with scraps of half-knowledge. Sink or swim, that kind of thing.

I can't count the number of times I thought I understood a topic, only to find in a real life conversation with friends or debate on 4chan that I can't actually put things into my own words because I don't fully understand what I'm talking about.
>>
>>9197853
this so much
>>
linguistics.
i am only studying linguistics because i have to study *something* and it is the subject i like most and also understand easily. i would switch to biology if i wasn't too lazy but meh
>>
>>9197173
I did mathematics

utterly pointless degree, a waste of 3 years of my life desu

helped me get a job though
>>
>>9198667
>implying an environment exists
>>
>>9198747
Fuck, that actually sounds like a great career. Power to you Anon.
>>
>>9197714
how do you like working with mexicans and illiterates?
>>
>>9198930
>le schizo poster
Go away
>>
Studying architecture which here in France is a mix of philosophy, art, history of art, sociology, physics and some maths. It is known to be extremely time consuming but I manage to dedicate one hour to reading every night.
>>
I did an engineering degree and hated it. Even at its best, an engineering degree is just introductory maths, physics, and chemistry plus a load of glorified job training stamp collecting courses. I feel so humiliated for choosing it.

And I picked my nearest university and, even though it is old, it simply is not as prestigious as others I was eligible for. Which meant the courses were dumbed down and light on content and employers and everyone will forever see me as dumb.

I can't pass graduate interviews due to bad social skills. They are a test of normieness
>>
>>9198957
Thank you. The only problem is the age of major city overhauls and master plans is long over so a lot of the time all that's left to us is the bureaucracy.
>>
>>9197173
>linguistics and anthropology double major
>not even allowed on this list
>unemployed still
>>
>>9197649
>I am a two time college dropout.
same. computer science and then history. six years wasted for something i was forced into. i never wanted to go off to college. i hated school in general and graduating high school felt like shackles being broken. my parents, peers, everyone virtually forced me off to college and it was an absolute waste. i wasn't ready to begin with. highly immature. i mean come on i was 18 fucking years old. all i wanted to do was get high, work on my car, and play WoW.

i did work for a bit. worked for a local carpet cleaner. was actually pretty fun and far more enjoying than wasting away at college. but i ended up quitting because... i don't actually need to work for monies. i'm now a ~~neet~~, by choice. living off my comfy trust fund. i do stuff on the side though. i'll go around and hit up thrift stores and yard sales and find stuff to resale off of ebay and craigslist.

if i wanted to go back to school i could easily do it now. i'm far more mature and stable. but probably won't since college is a fucking waste. so many of my buddies from high school with their fancy bachelors working shit dead end jobs barely making two - four dollars more an hour than i was making cleaning carpets for a few years.
>>
>>9197644
Same here man, good luck!
>>
>>9197173
I´m studying Computer Science and it´s awful. I was brought into that career by a false motivation because i was and i am retarded. I´d probably end up killing myself, seriously.
I want to drop-out, go to another country and teach a language (i speak four) there. I don´t care about money, but it seems far-fetched
>>
>>9197173
Reminder however that Maths graduates (such as myself) are autistic and would say yes to this poll even if they don't really do anything with it.
>>
>>9197182
have fun making any lifelong intellectual contacts at autozone
>>
I have a computer science degree, which I consider worthless. I know quite a few others who have one and think the same.
>>
Nothing yet, have been considering going but I always hear such negative things about degrees.
>>
>>9199540
Why don't you try the app meme? Flappy bird 2?
>>
>>9199032
Ayy, philosophy undergrad working towards a Masters in Architecture right now
>>
>>9197221
starting with the greeks isn't a meme though.
>>
>>9199540
13% retard
>>
>>9198479
>Pharmacy
>cooking drugs
>not just glorified retail
>>
File: wallace-stevens.jpg (235KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
wallace-stevens.jpg
235KB, 800x600px
>>9197173

Literature is ranked too high.

Most lit degrees are a meme.
>>
File: IMG_0757.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0757.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>9197173
>STEM
>worth it

Lol sure
>>
>>9199530
>Looking for intellectual contacts at work
>>
File: 1488693599001.jpg (76KB, 600x775px) Image search: [Google]
1488693599001.jpg
76KB, 600x775px
Major in economics and minor in mathematics master race reporting in.
>>
>>9199017
>le 'anyone that challenges my ideology is le crazy' poster
Reddit is just a search away.
>>
>>9197222
What trade?
>>
>>9199530

>have fun making any lifelong intellectual contacts at autozone

that is the best reason you can put forward to justify the crazy debt you were swindled into?

hahahahahaha
>>
>>9199530
>have fun making any lifelong intellectual contacts at autozone
The office really isn't much better.
You picked your job for intellectual contacts?
Make your contacts through other means.
I bet your a really boring person.
>>
>halfway through my PhD in biochemistry
>not sure yet if worthwhile
>>
>>9198367
yup, they still ask you for your transcript at Google/Facebook/Apple
>>
>>9199540
I'm also in CS, why do you consider it worthless?
>>
>>9201022
>what is a return on investment
>>
Finance here.

I have no personality so it fits me perfectly.

Can't wait to be rich. Still alone, but rich.
>>
>>9201058

biochem is a fucking nightmare lad. Grats on getting this far
>>
>>9201058
What field?
>>
>>9201489
>Hey Anon, why did you become a doctor?
>For the paycheck

LOL, yeah that sounds like a great future
>>
I was a history major but I dropped out in junior year.
>>
>>9201558

healthcare fag here. You'd be surprised how many docs do it for just the money.
>>
>>9197173
People only attend these schools to get a piece of paper so they can get a certain career? So they can make a lot of money? Because I can learn anything I want for free on the internet. So the entire "higher education" meme is a money hunt?? Never understood it
>>
>>9201565

You can't get lab experience from the internet. You also won't get directed education with an expert in a field without going to college or university. Simply not possible.
>>
>>9201558
>becoming a doctor for the paycheck

so every doctor? gotcha
>>
>blue-collar workers acting like they are so much better than getting a degree in a good field
lmao I've seen some shit
Well maybe it's better if you can't afford the education and don't want debts.
>>
>>9197853
Fucking true. Then again most people need a psychiatrist
>>
>>9201625
I enjoy being outside, working with my hands. Being stuck inside all day at a desk would crush my spirit, no matter how much money I was making. I live modestly, comfortably, but most important, happily. I understand most would look down on me for it but I don't mind.
>>
>>9197173
>no philosophy major on the list
was this in retaliation to them all replying with "define 'worthwhile'"?
>>
>>9197173
English and Education.
>>
>>9201630
I honestly expected to get jabbed back at in response. Sorry for the inflammatory response man, it's just that nobody was talking shit about blue-collar jobs to begin with until someone decided that degrees are pointless. I saw exactly the same thing happen in another board but I ignored it.
I respect you because society wouldn't even be a thing without it. I can't say I work a desk job, but I'm not exactly outside that much either, so I see where you are coming from.
Depending on the work, I've seen people crumbling by the time they get to their mid fifties. On this side, however, there are plenty of depressed, dead stares. I'm actually satisfied. Not a joy, exactly, but I don't hate it. I suppose only a select few get to do what they really love to do. I'm sure using the body would be more engaging though.
>>
>>9197173
Oh fuck. I'm planning to do psychology grad school.
>>
Modern language and Philosophy

Haven't done a lick of my core philosophy classes and I don't really know much about the subject but I still want to major in it. I'm approaching my junior year though so I'm getting kind of nervous. I also need a minor but I've no clue what the fuck that would be.
>>
>psychology half as worthwhile as fine arts
surprising but i believe it.
why is psychology such a meme career these days? how is there even employment there?
>>
>>9201572
This

>>9201565
Aside from the actual real value of the piece of paper, that allows you to apply for certain jobs/ is tangible proof of your knowledge; you can't learn everything you want on the internet.

Most academic fields are defined by their idiosyncracies. What separates someone in the field from someone who knows about the field is knowledge of these codes. They exist for a variety of reasons, cultural, historical etc.. One of these reasons is to demarcate insiders and outsiders to the discipline. You only learn these quircks through practice and direct exposure to experts in the field. i.e. academics, senior grad students etc. Not knowing about the idiosyncracies will get you laughed at.

These exist in the humanities and in the sciences.

The real value of knowing about these quirks is debatable if you don't plan on interacting with anyone in the field.
>>
>>9201659
The majority of psych undergrads discontinue academia and go into something unrelated. I doubt the majority of them remember anything they learned within two years of graduating.
>>
I should have studied Philosophy and worked as a high school teacher or went for grad school.
But I fell for the " work at Starbucks after graduation " meme.
Remember to always follow your passion, seriously fuck employment and money.
>>
>>9197173
the fuck's a major i don't know this shit

Anyway I'm going to uni for Mandarin and History joint honours. Reassuring that MFL's rated relatively high.
>>9201841
Follow your passion, but if you have multiple passions there's nothing wrong with making an educated decision.
>>
>>9201558
>literally every single doctor/surgeon says "don't go into it for the money"
>people still do it
That's even worse than falling for the CS meme.

Shit, doctors don't even earn all that much and they've got awful hours. Surgeons earn a lot but not a LOT lot.
>>
>>9197173
I majored in Computer Science.

Yes, I think it was worth it. I actually enjoyed the subject matter and got a pretty decent paying job out of it as well.
>>
>>9200711
how do you like? planning to major in econ aswell (can't minor since the system in my country is different from US)
>>
>>9200711
That sounds extremely pleb but good luck.
>>
Economics and finance.

Just graduated. Currently unemployed.

I fucking hope it was worth it. I have great grades, except I have absolutely no experience.
>>
>Chemistry and Natural sciences
>Implying Chemistry is not a Natural Science

NORMIES RRRRREEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1450774589367.jpg (693KB, 1008x1624px) Image search: [Google]
1450774589367.jpg
693KB, 1008x1624px
>>9201865
>350-500k a year
>Surgeons earn a lot but not a LOT lot.
I don't know man, that seems like a lot to me
>>
>>9202073
It's not. Perhaps you are just working class?
>>
>>9202087
You have no concept of the value of money and have probably never held a job before
>>
>>9202260
Anon, I said it was a lot. Just not a LOT lot. i.e. if you're driven by money you have much better options.
>>
>>9201656
DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT
>>
>>9197173
Chemistry masterrace here. Still have a year to go and I'm already wading through job offers. Working on a few patents, and offered a spot in the PhD program by my adviser. Feels good.
>>
Psychology in the fucking third world here. Fucking kill me. There's no research here. Full of women who are there because they think they are good at giving advice. I'm on I/O Psychology, probably going to end up working as a Journalist.
>>
>>9202351
Australia isn't the third world it's the next world.
>>
>>9202283
>working on few patents
A lie
>>
>>9201865
This is probably why so many doctors kill themselves
>>
>>9202267
What are they, oh, finance-wizard?

Serious tho
>>
>>9202356
I'm trying to figure out what this means. Did you mean to write new world? I don't understand.
>>
>>9202087
>Perhaps you are just working class?
yea i am cunt, what of it
>>
File: 1384688647435.jpg (70KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1384688647435.jpg
70KB, 330x319px
>getting a degree for employment in the age of automation

plebs man, when will they learn?
>>
>>9202562
This is library, Anon. Your continued political validity has been shown, but we never pretended to be leftwing. In library, we starve the working class and if asked the reason, say it's because we despise the working class. Library has not learned a single thing from recent politics. The working class is still dumb, ugly, and annoying to share breathing space with.

(Library is also your best hope, because in your state of natural inferiority, only library could deliver you to that life that would fulfil you: that of subservience.)
>>
>>9202513
desu the best is make your own business. It's also very risky.

>>>/biz/ really is the best place for earning loads of money. Personally I'd rather kill myself.
>>9202562
So because you are used to small amounts of money, large amounts of money seem massive out of proportion.
>>
File: 1401048324908.jpg (316KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1401048324908.jpg
316KB, 1920x1080px
>>9202580
>/biz/ really is the best place for earning loads of money.
>>
>>9202585
That is a good point.
>>
>>9202580
>desu the best is make your own business. It's also very risky.

This is retarded and you know it.

Your expected returns on an M.D. are still going to be better than any attempts to start your own "business".

How many businesses fail, the majority.
Now how many manage to make the owners over 500k a year. hardly any
>>
>>9197857
How did you get such a job
>>
File: 1456101700179.gif (1MB, 326x256px) Image search: [Google]
1456101700179.gif
1MB, 326x256px
Majored in CS, been out of college for 4 years now. Degree was definitely worth it, I really enjoy development and system design but and everything that comes with it, and I'm fairly good at it too. Only issue I have is the number of shit jobs you have to wade through to find a good one.

A month ago I got "let go" from a job because they said I had a bad attitude (which I did). I got tricked into thinking it would be an actual programming job, where instead it was essentially an analyst position where I babysat overpaid H1Bs and didn't get to write any code for 4 months. It was a relief when I got let go. Grabbed another job soon after that's actually exactly what I want it to be thank Christ. I can see why people would hate CS if they get stuck in a shit job like I was. Out of 500 job openings, like 50 of them actually want a developer, and maybe 10 of those are any good. Gotta really commit to finding the good shit.
>>
>>9202654

>CS
>>
Finance, but I'm in no position to comment on it.
>>9197182 /thread
>>
File: 1479155776269.jpg (76KB, 610x660px) Image search: [Google]
1479155776269.jpg
76KB, 610x660px
>>9202735
>>
lit I got a question.

If I'm terrible at math(s), what should I major in?
>>
>>9197857
Why the fuck is an ethics consultant on 4chins?
>>
>>9202654
thanks for the blog update retard
>>
>>9202843
>what is literally every post in this thread
>>
>>9202818
Maths
>>
>>9202891
I don't want to become a teacher.
>>
Philosophy/econ. They're fine. I'm definitely going to law school though.
>>
>>9202897
Most math graduates work in finance or tech, not teaching. If you're not good at it, you shouldn't bother really. You'll either drop out or have a shit GPA.
>>
>>9202907
I know, it's a joke about math majors' job prospects.
>>
Medicine
Not worth it since they largely hire women and foreigners anyway

I was also happier doing manual labor than I am now.
>>
>>9202073
Most surgeons have lots of debt too.

>>9202087
You will probably never make that much money in your life.
>>
>>9197173

>Philosophy isn't represented so I'm assuming it's being thrown under Literature.

Worth it? Yes and no. I graduated four years and still love to read philosophy but the skills I learned -- basically how to research and write information -- aren't 'in demand'.

I think mostly all the jobs that would previously have required a type of journalistic skillset now require one thing instead: a passion for social media. Basically, I don't have that.

I worked as a bookseller for a while but quit to pursue a career and I've made literally no progress in the past three months. Feels bad man.
>>
What degrees are good to go in to these days? Automation is gutting gainful employment.
>>
>>9197625
Psychology major here. I'm transferring to another college and to a new field next semester. Modern Psychology is fucking retarded.
>>
>>9203104
Worth it to dive into great minds? I have sub-100IQ and I love doing this.
>>9203184
Learn logic and machine learning
>>
File: IMG_2158.jpg (587KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2158.jpg
587KB, 3000x2250px
Chem Eng
Pic is not right at all, college is a scam but this is the course I was set on.
I'd say only majors with job prospects are even remotely worthwhile. I am better read than most English normies just as a hobby.
>>
>>9197173
Philosophy

I don't regret it but I wish I had picked Mathematics or Modern languages instead
>>
>only like two other finance bros itt

Do you guys not like money?
>>
>>9203376
I'm just not a retard who has to spend money to essentially learn how to make money.

Making money is easy.
>>
>>9197182
>working for money
Academia is better life than any buisnes or industry
>>
>>9197182
But blue collar work fucking sucks. There is a reason no one wants to do it.
>>
>>9203376
Finance really is a major for retards.
>>
>>9203376
>be my relative.
>go to law school
>head of a bank.

>be my uncle
>go to law school
>head of a bank.

>be me
>go to law school
>intern for the head of a bank

I don't actually know where the people who study finance go because they're not leading my country's banks lol
>>
>>9197182
t.chav
>>
>>9203380
(You)
>>9203396
Said the English Major
>>9203405
>3 cases (probably lies)
>>
>>9203418
Good argument my man. I can see your time at university wasn't a waste of time or money.
>>
>>9203422
Well I'm on a full ride so no not a waste of money
>>
>>9203418
They're all true, sorry buddy.

Most finance students in here go to marketing or to smaller firms..
>>
>>9197173
Art (Dropout 2x)
Computer Science, then switched back to Art.

Computer Science was not worth it because I was already building and developing my own front-end stuff and talking to my peers in industry (back-end) about it. My own classmates didn't really know what I was talking about half the time, so I figured it wasn't really lining up with what I was doing. It did, however, land me a sweet job that pays alright and allows me to work whenever I want. I would have gotten an IT degree if my school offered it but I think a design degree is going to be more worthwhile for what I actually do.

Nevertheless, I plan to get my MFA at an actual art school rather than the traditional four-years because I like to waste money and I like to be in the fake adult simulacrum that is school.
>>
Marketing is the best major. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>9203418
>being this mad about your shit degree
Just get a masters in something worthy.
>>
>>9203428
Still an entirely arbitrary argument buddy
>>9203442
Said the English major, again
>>
>>9203433
>getting the two most pointless degrees
Why are you doing this to yourself?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (18KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
18KB, 500x327px
>tfw half-accidentally became a librarian

Doesnt feel very /lit/ because I mostly work on publications and databases but its a pretty comfy job
>>
>>9203449
I'm a Math major, working in MBB now. Finance is a meme degree. Networking opportunity is the one good thing it provides you with. Use it wisely or prepare to be an account/analyst for the rest of your life.
>>
>>9203449
I gave you a real world example from Europe from my experiences. It is an argument based on what I know. It might be limited, it is that, but I still stand by my experiences.

>>9203469
You need an education here to be librarian, I think that's nuts.
>>
>>9203453
'cause I can, mostly. I am going to leave school with little debt ( < $10,000). I have the means, I like to make art, so why not?
>>
>>9203476
Nice meme argument
>>9203473
>math
Hello pajeet. Hope your work makes you happy
>>
>>9203490
I'm not sure what 'pajeet' should mean, but my work really does make me happy. Thank you. I hope you find something that makes you happy too.
>>
>>9197182
>he doesn't live in a first world country
sucks not to have free tuition, burger
>>
>>9203490
My cousing (I'm the bank intern) dropped out of studying finance because he got into a good, young firm. He didn't even finish it. He used it like the other anon said, ONLY to network himself and fuck off'd the first sight he got.

Now lives in the capital of his country.

Why are you so hostile when other people share life experiences?
>>
>>9203503
I'm sorry I'm just trying to mess with people. No class today so I'm still in bed. Pajeet implied you were Indian because of the usual basic STEM meme insults. I am quite happy though, thanks dude
>>
>>9203521
Refer to here
>>9203525

I'm happy to hear that though and I actually plan on quitting once I've earned my first million to expand my business which is small right now but who knows in ten years time
>>
>>9203418
>>9203449
>>9203490
>HURR DURR STUPID ENGLISH MAJOR MEMES AND LIES
Why are you this assblasted? If you genuinely like your degree, then why not tell us how great it is instead of sperging?
>>
>>9203531
Yeah, I think for most degrees - to be of use/benefit - you need heavy networking the moment you begin to study them (so you connect to people that study/teach you and they see you and they know you are motivated and getting a degree thus self-studying to get it and not slackjawing it -> getting offers for intern, job, recommendations, extra help).

Sure you can do it later, after you got your degree, but the point I'm trying to make with my bad stream of consciousness post is that it will be much easier to get networking under the way early on so when you are studying/done studying you can get intern/job from the people you spent time studying with (inc. professors etc.)

This is just, again, my experience and what I know of my friends and relatives and of myself.
>>
>>9203552
Ye I've got an internship for this summer already. It was actually quite easy to get.
>>9203533
Mad
>>
>>9202278
Really? What else am I going to do? I want to go to grad school and I don't like any other fields, already dropped out of computer science once.
>>
>>9203476
what the fuck, do you actually think your experience can be a valid argument?

oh, from my experience most of the central bank chiefs studied engeneering or french literature, this experience comes from me checking wikipedia page of two guys few minutes ago. basically the same thing as yours.
>>
>>9203646
Yes considering I'm connected in national level banking in Europe. Not supranational, I think they wan't economist keeping """check""" of them.
>>
Is grad school for non-stem fields a meme?
>>
>>9197173
CS, but the market is shrinking and flooded with outsourced Pajeets and will soon be taken over by AI within a couple decades at least.

Thinking about learning financial investment. If not that, learning some sort of trade. Agriculture is also an option if I just want to live off the land.

Honestly I just want to be absorbed in books, films and music. Enjoy the rich things that have came out of this planet. I don't want to have to deal with dishonest people anymore. Freelance software development seems like the closest call, but I don't want to do this forever.
>>
>biochemistry

Image isn't accurate for biochemistry majors. Most of us end up suicidal after we realize it was such a huge waste. So we read literature and do specifically non-STEM things to make ourselves feel like "well rounded" intellectuals...meanwhile the truth is we can never be anything more than dilettantes and pseuds.
>>
>>9197173
I'm in grad school getting a Master's in Social Work. I'll probably end up making 70k once I get my degree.

Don't ask me why I'm still on 4chan.
>>
>>9203184
Engineering. Accounting. Medicine.

That might be it. Other degrees are for academia or require you to be at a high end school
>>
>>9197173
>chemical engineer here
damn it feels good.

and i get to work on projects in my free time.
>>
>>9205297
Accounting is on the verge of being completely automated
>>
I'm in computer science. I did it because I had no fucking idea what I wanted to do in high school and I wasted most of my time on computers. I'm enjoying it so far and becoming pretty good at some shit. Reading and writing are still two of my 4 major hobbies though.
>>
File: 1488865034749.gif (1MB, 193x135px) Image search: [Google]
1488865034749.gif
1MB, 193x135px
>>9205477
>Accounting is on the verge of being completely automated

You can't automate dealing with clients and business partners, which is what lots of accountants do. CPAs are completely safe
>>
>>9202073
>350-500k a year
You're not factoring in things like debt, insurance, etc.
>>
>>9202832
t. letzter mensch
>>
File: 1405405147581.jpg (23KB, 424x417px) Image search: [Google]
1405405147581.jpg
23KB, 424x417px
>>9205477

Haha j-just joking, right?
>>
File: BANNER-JIM-CARREY-HEPA-A-630.jpg (104KB, 630x352px) Image search: [Google]
BANNER-JIM-CARREY-HEPA-A-630.jpg
104KB, 630x352px
>>9197644
>>9199404
>Currently studying modern languages

what kind of job did you guys get (translation maybe)?
You're living well on it and do you like it?

I really like it but I want to know all the career posibilities out there
>>
>>9204626
What's wrong with biochemistry? I was thinking of majoring in it. Or should I just major in Chemistry?
>>
>>9199491
I'm studying CS too and I can't believe it took me 4 years to realize i hate this shit. Mostly because I've never been interested in technology
>>
>>9203217
How?
>>
>>9198405
Sometimes people just want to be taught, rather than go into self study. If they can support it why not?
>>
>>9197637
Because statistically speaking the number of people who make 300k a year, and the number of people who graduate with a degree in the meme courses means that most people will not actually earn that much.

It's like every doctor expecting to be rich. It's good money sure but not every doctor is super rich.
>>
File: 1488830880900.jpg (4MB, 8881x5526px) Image search: [Google]
1488830880900.jpg
4MB, 8881x5526px
Of human life the time is a point, and the substance is in a flux, and the perception dull, and the composition of the whole body subject to putrefaction, and the soul a whirl, and fortune hard to divine, and fame a thing devoid of judgement. And, to say all in a word, everything which belongs to the body is a stream, and what belongs to the soul is a dream and vapour, and life is a warfare and a stranger's sojourn, and after-fame is oblivion. What then is that which is able to conduct a man? One thing and only one, philosophy.
>>
>>9201553
Kinda between structural biology and enzymology, studying post-translational modification mechanisms from a molecular viewpoint, particularly as they pertain to the cell cycle.
>>
File: w1000-249135xe5xtVSl.jpg (345KB, 1000x784px) Image search: [Google]
w1000-249135xe5xtVSl.jpg
345KB, 1000x784px
>>9203433

are you me? I dropped out of comp sci after a year and a half and just finished my BFA.
What's your practice like?
>>
>>9198747
Wow I found another. Exactly the same - I find local politics quite fascinating as well and this degree feels like the practical application of all these fields. Other main reason is that I love anything futuristic and I want to work in advocacy roles for AI specifically self-driving cars to improve safety and mobility. What did you enjoy about the degree / profession?
>>
LIS major here.
Not worth it. Libraries will go extinct in my life time.
>>
>>9202023
Why didn't you get an internship? one of the only ways to get into a good IB is internships, only after 2-3 years in an IB can you go to PE/hedge funds/VF...

You better start looking anon, depending on your country it's a tough game out there
>>
>>9197173
>literature higher than law and par with engineering
>modern languages on par with econ and management
>chemistry is the highest
This must be a fucking joke.
>>
File: 1446250230209.jpg (1MB, 3500x2797px) Image search: [Google]
1446250230209.jpg
1MB, 3500x2797px
Honours in political science, now finishing up with a 1-year Master's in political science.

I don't regret it, because poli sci departments are usually quite flexible and as such they encouraged me to take many, many electives in a variety of other disciplines including languages, dramatic arts, computer science, economics, neuroscience, and lots of philosophy.

If I could go back, however, I'd probably focus more so on philosophy and (neuro-)psychology and less on political science but if you manage to do well in poli sci (top 10% of your class) I'd say that you will take enough away from it to warrant satisfaction.
>>
>>9208025
Engineering junior here. I'm surprised it's as high as 75%. Everybody I know hates it, and while most my friends that graduated already found jobs easily, they hate the jobs, too.
>>
Modern Languages shouldn't be grouped into one, it's a lucrative degree only if you come out of it with fluency in either four or more European languages or 2-3 languages if one of them is niche. My major is Farsi and I study French and Italian. One of my friends is majoring in Arabic but speaks Farsi and Spanish. This not only gives you good career options but also lets you study literature for certain modules.
>>
I'm surprised that there are no other classics majors in this thread. We're on a literature board, and classical lit is one of the most frequent topics here.
Based Latin / Greek Patrisha checking in
>>
>>9208077
Classics should be taken as a leisure or hobby, not as a job.
>>
>>9208083
What is a classicist?
What about classics at the graduate level?
It's not a frozen field.
>>
>>9202843

>>>/b/
>>
yes it helped w poetry for the youtube career

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOeFKJkQMg [Embed]
>>
don't fall for the anti-college bullshit, that's just a meme. get a degree in a technical field though, not a ba in feelz.
>>
>>9197173
English Licensure.
Worth it, got a job where i basically read all day and have the authority to tell those younger than me what to read, and they have to do it.
>>
>had the grades to do chemistry
>did english lit because that's where my heart was and i was a young romantic
>at the end of the degree regret everything

i feel like i would've regretted it all either way. might do a chemistry degree later on when i can afford it but what would be the point, would anyone employ a chem grad who isn't in their early 20s?
>>
>>9197173
CS sophomore reporting in.
I swear, coding can get fucking nerve-wracking sometimes, but the satisfaction of coming out of it with functional programs is so good.
My real passions are with the fine arts, though - film, /lit/ & /mu/ specifically. I'd just rather go into debt for something I know will pay me back.
>>
Why would Psychology so extremely bad? Here in Germany I always hear people complaining that there are too few therapists, that you have to wait months to get therapy etc.
>>
Hi board, I took a stab at writing a short story and was looking for some feeback.

Is there a specific thread for these type of activities?
>>
File: 1486567031995.jpg (47KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
1486567031995.jpg
47KB, 620x387px
>>9197182
> Be German
> See Americans complaining about college debt
> Mfw nearly free education
> Mfw I was able to save money during university
>>
>>9208041
How is learning languages lucrative if you know about 3-4 good ones?
>>
>>9208576
Psychology in the UK is different because they rely on Cognitive-Behaviourism which is the biggest horseshit in the history of medicine
>>
Yes and no, I'm about to finish with a BA in English. It cultivated certain tastes and interests within me, but the vast majority of things that I've learned are a result of having read on my own time. 75% no, 25% yes.

What are people's thoughts on going to a 2 year community college for programming/IT - worth it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWbz9Lo9r04
what do you guys think of this, of basically just getting some stable job and spending free time for your own pursuits as many great thinkers did? that all the liberal arts are inherently useless
>>
>>9208561
How hard is it to get into coding?
>>
>>9209366
Depends on your introductory programming language.
The most basic courses tend to teach Python, which is commonly agreed upon as the easiest. So if you start there, the concepts shouldn't be too hard to grasp and the syntax is simpler than any other language.
After that, understanding more complex languages is a matter of learning to apply the same concepts to different syntax, at least as far as I know. Again, I'm just a sophomore in lower division classes.
>>
>>9198995
I'm still finding a welding job, I just recently graduated.

at my current job, I do work around illiterates and mexicans and it's annoying.
>>
Medicine is objectively the best career path for work life balance as well as brain gains.
>>
>>9209844
I thought most doctors had to work 80-90 hours a week.
>>
>>9197182
>forgetting the part where you get fucked by unions
>>
>>9209820
How do you like welding? I'm considering getting into it.
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (24KB, 377x312px) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
24KB, 377x312px
>>9198371
>>
File: 1443429780876.jpg (26KB, 275x314px) Image search: [Google]
1443429780876.jpg
26KB, 275x314px
I graduated last year in literature and I'm really struggling to get a job. HR needs experience or extra qualifications, copywriting requires you to have a diverse portfolio or experience, business to business sales need you to be a smooth talker on the fly.

I've been rejected from three interviews so far. Money's running out from unemployment. I'm going to have to start from square 1 and work at a bar again. Education doesn't really matter when it comes to getting a job. Two years of experience, or even a summer internship is worth so much more than a three year degree. Even if you're aiming to get a PhD in lit, what the fuck are you going to do with it? There are so many people overqualified and looking for jobs as lecturers, and you're crippling yourself financially for something that makes you think that you're smart.

Not many people from my class have decent jobs. A lot of us work in bars, a few have really shitty customer service and sales jobs, some work retail. My advice to anyone who's considering a degree in literature or is currently in literature: reach out to get a part time job in the industry you want to work in while you're studying; do as many social activities as possible, especially if there's a leadership role that you can take; get an internship or placement sorted out before you graduate. Don't end up like me.
>>
>>9206208
Personal tax returns already almost entirely automated already. You literally just scan shit and it feeds everything into the program. Humans are just there to correct errors for now.

The more complex stuff won't be automated very quickly but even corporate tax returns are getting very easy to
>>
>>9206540
most biochemistry majors end up in finance or even trades... based on my observations anyway
>>
>>9210620
Why didn't you work to get experience or a portfolio?

Stupid fuck. Don't most universities have student-worked writing centers? There: experience.
>>
>>9202073
It's not when you factor in the debt from school and the insurance you have to pay because every fucking idiot patient who ignores what they're told to do or has an unforseen complication tries to sue you and the Healthcare environment is literally a "Backstab" or "Bestabbed" sector that makes fucking Business look tame because at least people aren't trying to pawn dying people off as your fault.
>>
>>9197222
Maybe if you'd gone to university you'd know how not to commit logical fallacies.
>>
>>9208980
>What are people's thoughts on going to a 2 year community college for programming/IT - worth it?
just get your certs like cisco and a+++
>>
>>9203217
I did the same, transferred to Audiology. The course was way too politicized.
>>
File: feelsbadman.png (139KB, 917x871px) Image search: [Google]
feelsbadman.png
139KB, 917x871px
>>9208752
>tfw you realize America will never be able to afford free college because we'd have to pay for niggers, spics and SJW's

don't let it go away germanon
>>
File: programming.jpg (2MB, 2100x1400px) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
2MB, 2100x1400px
i majored in computer science, even took the meme to the extreme and got a masters degree in it. now im stuck paying my ms off. at least i have a high paying job in the games industry. not happy though. i spend my days working on a cyberpunk novel no one will ever publish while reading tolstoy and anarcho-capitalism wish fulfillment pamphlets.

if i did it again id major in english and spend 8 years getting my degree like patrick rothfuss. seriously, the sheer amount of free time you have in college and the lack of a routine makes it better than any other point in your life. you can legit get away with skipping class for a week. you can't get away with skipping work for a week.
>>
>>9197173
Economics

I haven't done jack shit with it but I've only been out of school for 2 years and haven't left my podunk isolated town
>>
>>9211277
Unfortunately we are working on financing those bottom-feeders, too.
I will be able to get out of there before it gets worse (only a year left), but I fear for my potential kids.
I guess they will have to visit private schools because of standards getting lower and lower.
>>
File: IMG_0450.jpg (18KB, 267x181px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0450.jpg
18KB, 267x181px
>>9197173
>Took game design

It was nice knowing you all.
>>
>>9211580
i have a friend in utah who fell for the same meme. what was going on in your mind when you thought game design was a great idea?
>>
>>9211583
Fell for the school shills and life stories on how they made it and are doing what they love as a job. Fucking joke, especially at the industry's current state.

Also, surprise, I don't have a job that relates to it.

And anybody thinking about it or getting any other degree, please remember whether or not you actually need the degree. If it doesn't say you need it in the job description, don't go for it.
>>
I enjoy geology. Still not sure what I'll specialize in once I go for grad school. Maybe I'll mud log or some other environmental geology job for a year or two before starting grad school.

Still, like any degree, if you assert yourself, imbed yourself into the scene, you'll do better. Become a TA. Be a lab assistant for a professor who is working on something you find interesting. Go to every club meeting related to your major. Utilize office hours. Make good impressions. Don't be awkward and know how to read a room. The social skills one develops in higher education are just as important as the classes when it comes to earning a job title you won't learn to quickly despise.

So yes. I'd say I'm happy with geology. I still have plenty of time to read. 2-4 books a month (I'm a slow reader but I'll dedicate entire evenings to a book). There's nothing quite like working hard all day at a field camp in the middle of nowhere Utah, slamming a few beers with the group, then reading until 12pm to wake up again at 5:30AM.
>>
File: 1485867834192.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1485867834192.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
Could any kind senpai direct my path with sound judgement?

If I've generally done pretty well in honors math classes (B+) could I major in math at Uni?
>>
>>9211618
so, there must be a reason why you never mentioned taking AP classes, no? and B+ in honors math classes? are you baiting? kid, if you did not take ap calculus as a freshman or sophomore, you are severely retarded.

don't even bother majoring in math unless you intend to go to grad school.
>>
File: 1488946917988.jpg (9KB, 206x212px) Image search: [Google]
1488946917988.jpg
9KB, 206x212px
>tfw getting a PhD in a humanities field
>>
File: 1485918314770.jpg (50KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1485918314770.jpg
50KB, 640x640px
>>9211624
I know this is bait, but I want to increase the possibility of getting more (you)s.
Completely forgot that I'm in AP Stats with a B, but that's mostly due to the fact that I don't bother trying. I definitely could be in AP calc if I wanted to.
>>
>>9211641
nice meme pics friendo.
>>
>>9211441
did you go straight into your masters?
was building ray tracers and gfx engines and a* that appealing?
have you built any cool games on your own?
do you read all day at "work"?
>>
>>9209366
Buy a standard college java textbook and work through it. It's very easy.
>>
File: 1486137632656.jpg (19KB, 325x321px) Image search: [Google]
1486137632656.jpg
19KB, 325x321px
>>9203615
Bumping this. Psychology BS -> Psychology PhD seems to me like a smart way to proceed, but I'm open to a something more biology-focused. Basically whatever won't make me feel like a dumbass after 10 years and has good career prospects, I've got plenty of time before I enroll. Americuck btw
>>
>>9197173
I'm currently en route to transfer to university for an English degree. How is the job market fellow English majors? Though I understand that I want to go to college to learn about my passion I'm still conflicted with the idea that I will need a job after splurging the money i couldve bought a house with. I hear people say people are begining to search for English majors but i've been afraid its wishful thinking :#
>>
How do people find a job after graduating?

I'm not sure if it's just my country but all of the avaliable "beginner" positions requires at least a year of experience; how can I get that one year lf experience if I can't even get a job? Am I suppose to do unpaid intern for a year or something?
>>
>>9197173
About to graduate in accounting and I guess?
>>
>>9211664
didnt go straight to masters. had an even worse job in between.
yes, algorithms can be beautiful. the reality of software dev, though, is you do very little actual computer science - mostly its finding bugs and fixing them or implementing a data driven system of some kind. once in a while ill write something interesting.
cant make stuff on my own or mother megacorp would sue me.
cant read, but i do scavenge soundcloud for good audio interviews.

ironically i dont play games at home anymore. i read all the time, though.
>>
File: 1487108369091.jpg (27KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
1487108369091.jpg
27KB, 268x268px
W-what's wrong with psych?
>>
>>9213054
It's one of the most over-saturated majors and you can't do shit with a bachelors in psychology. Every job that's related to psychology requires a graduate degree.
>>
>>9213054
Every incredibly average female is a psychology or biology major, meaning everything is catered to them throughout undergrad.

STEMshit is funds-diverting cancer.
>>
>>9213783
Lol that's a rather large conclusion to jump to. Just because a large number are in the field it's made easy for them? Grow up neet
>>
>>9210516
I like it a lot actually, and one is always continuously learning the trade. My problem is that I'm not as creative for self-fabrication work and don't have enough steady hands for TIG welding.

I say go into it, if nothing else suits you, it's what I did.
>>
>>9197173
I'm probably going for Psychology, but as a track towards Psychiatry- I feel like that's more of a smart move than just going for psychology and being a social worker.
>>
>>9197173
History. I went to Uni to do English lit, hated it as it was full of pretentious cunts reading pretentious shite and switched to History.
>>
>>9214247
I'm not a NEET.

I didn't say it was made easy for them, I said it's catered to them. What does that mean? Psychoanalysis (omg im so deep im gonna psychoanalyze u lol SEX), sorority-girl environmentalism (omg the poor cute animals ;ccc), and feminism in general.

Do you want to study any of this? If not, don't go into psychology.
>>
Currently doing Law and Political Sciences, with Biblical Studies on the side. After graduation I'm doing a Classical Philology and History double major.
>>
>>9215304
Filthy Hellenophile
>>
>>9197173
>about to be an Art major
I am generally smart, have great technical/compositional skill and am tall and good looking. I can't speak or advertise myself for shit though. Any advice? Optimally, I'd like to be an art professor
>>
i am an english lit major

academia/lecturing/research feels like the only tolerable thing to do, high school teaching as a backup.
>>
>>9215689
>Optimally, I'd like to be an art professor

Implying you have any other choices with an art major
>>
>>9199168
>>9198747
Are you in your grad or undergrad for it? I'm doing a poli-sci and language undergrad right now, but thinking about doing urban planning for grad school. What kind of work are you looking towards and what have you had to learn so far?
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.