[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 41

File: Books.jpg (730KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Books.jpg
730KB, 1920x1080px
Release Edition

What Book are you eagerly awaiting for in 2016/2017?
What book published in 2016 did you read?
What book released in 2016 disappointed you?

Fantasy
>Selected: http://i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
>General: http://i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
>Flowchart: http://i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

Science Fiction
>Selected: http://i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
>http://imgur.com/a/90laS
>General: http://i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/
>http://i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous Thread: >>8646974
>>
>>8658747
>What Book are you eagerly awaiting for in 2016/2017?
THE
VINDICATION
OF
MAN
Princess is gonna come home, we'll have some more awkward Wright-writes-women chapters and Montrose is going to punch a galaxy in the face. And Witchbro is back, probably going to see him elevated to machine godhood too. I'm excited.
>>
>>8658764
>Witchbro
Mixed feelings, would have been better if he were consigned to the lost mythic human past remembered only by Montrose and Azarchel. On the other hand we're going to see some crazy tech sand things have actually worked out pretty well so far.

Pretty sure we do know that Rania built an Iron Menelaus when she got lonely.
>>
File: Cosmere.jpg (56KB, 537x540px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmere.jpg
56KB, 537x540px
QUICK

POST BOOKS THAT FEATURE MANIPULATION OF MATHEMATICAL CONCEPTS
>>
>>8658785
Montrose deserves a break now and then. His knights went off to marry hot Nymphs and lead fulfilling lives, his best friend is his worst enemy, and his wife is taking her sweet time obeying the speed of light and all that.

I recall a sample chapter Wright posted where Mickey's marrying a Rania clone but I think he took it down. The excised first chapter of Vindication is still up though.
>He laughed at himself and laughed for joy, and the noise was so like the braying of a donkey that Trey danced back in a swirl of blue-gray films, startled, and the eyes on the hat of Mickey grew wide in shock, but, off to one side of the field, Blackie del Azarchel scowled and rose up and threw his uneaten half bag of popcorn to the grass.
It's little moments like this that make the series for me.

>>8658806
Like, changing mathematical concepts or discovering new ones? In Count to a Trillion, whose fourth sequel comes out in a little less than a month, explorers find an alien monument with math taking you from 1=1 to game theory and economics, gently leading you to the discovery that your exploitation of the antimatter star it orbits will show the civilization that put it there that you're worth enslaving, and that their fleet is coming and you don't theoretically have the ability to stop it.

It also has psychohistory on it.
>>
>>8658806
Like, math textbooks?
>>
>>8658806
Flatland
>>
File: warbreakermapsmall.png (401KB, 1024x634px) Image search: [Google]
warbreakermapsmall.png
401KB, 1024x634px
>>8658812
That Count to a Trillion plot sounds awfully similar to Revelation Space.

>>8658844
Books related to the thread topic, my little newfriend.
>>
>>8658876
>That Count to a Trillion plot sounds awfully similar to Revelation Space.
How so? Did the Spaniards mutiny and take their starship back to Earth, dooming humanity to eternal slavery all from the hubris of their leader in that one too? And if it has horse AIs I'm going to read it right now.
>>
>>8658747
>What book published in 2016 did you read?
The ones I read published this year were:

The Blood Mirror - starts off slowly/awkwardly/badly before Breeks finds his feet after the first quarter. Kip should really stop taking away the screen time from the better written characters of Gavin, Teia and Kariss Whiteoak, Kip's story is essentially filler and Tisis is quite unbearable. Breeks has improved the characterisation of Andross, there were a few plot twists I didn't see coming but they were far away and far in between but I feel that the third book was too long and didn't focus on what was important and instead departed into Kip's slice of life story featuring him and his friends. The story was also too clean compared to the third book which brought a sense of mythos and the Colour Prince/Zymun were almost conveniently absent in a conspicuous fashion. In short, the series should have stayed a four books and it's become overlong, bloated and fallen into the trap of the uninteresting POVs holding the book back.

Goldenhand - disappointment compared to the original three books but thankfully better than Clariel. Abhosen is an overrated series that should have stayed three books. There was little to no sense of danger and it was essentially a painfully prolonged romance and filler.

Mistborn: Secret History - Ahh, the case of the fucking retcon. While it was interesting to see the worldhoppers and God, it really didn’t actually work other than the slowly falling to pieces part. Gods are best when they're absent or not always there.
>>
>>8658904
The Spider's War: I read all five of these books in one fell swoop. As always, Daniel Abraham makes a good compromise between beige prose and purple prose in my opinion. He's a promising writer and the strongest characters in his series are Geder who is terribly relatable in a way and unreliable and Komme who develops into a sympathetic character. Politics/economics are not often seen in fantasy and the author doesn’t overshadow their prose with magic which is refreshing to see. The books take a slow stately pace but manages to be interesting.

Children of Earth and Sky: Kay does it again. Kay and Abraham write similarly, but there’s a subtlety in Kay that’s astounding. The standout part of this novel was Gurçu the Destroyer, Prince Cemal and Pero Villani’s respective characterisations and the worldbuilding is marvellous as always. However, this book is still inferior compared to Tigana and will not touch as many heart strings.

The Obelisk Gate: Interesting use of person place and time. A very cute story about Schaffa and Nassun despite their age difference with prose that I enjoyed. The only real weakness in the writing was the fact that Essun did almost nothing to find Nassun and a lot of worldbuilding details needed to be revealed.

Calamity: I remember almost nothing about this book other than the fact that Calamity was a whiny child and Prof’s daughter decided that she could spontaneously dimension hop.

The Bands of Mourning: Something, something steam punk airships.I don't remember what else happened other than the fact that Kelsier might be alive.

Most of the newly released books were a disappointment.
>>
>>8658913
>>8658904
Dunkey kun, is that you? Desu desu sempai.
>>
>>8658930
No.
>>
>>8658904
Jesus fuck you finished blood mirror already?

Wish I was still neet, I had to go to work, and I still have Jonathan strange to finish .... just
>>
File: alloy_symbols.jpg (167KB, 655x562px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_symbols.jpg
167KB, 655x562px
>>8658888
No but around the end of the first book, 'humanity' triggers a marker that alerts a hyper-advanced civilization to their existence who then proceeds to activate (they're post-human machines) and attack human civilization throughout its different star systems.

There's also a short story in the same universe involving an alien structure involving increasingly difficult mathematical problems as a barrier to continue ascending.

>>8658904
>retcon
Kelsier being alive is legitimate old news.
>>
>>8658986
>>There's also a short story in the same universe involving an alien structure involving increasingly difficult mathematical problems as a barrier to continue ascending.
That's pretty cool. Do they have to build better and better transhuman minds to figure them out? One of the neat things about Count to the Eschaton is how it's not just singularity and we're finished, the beings that can control matter at a molecular level are mere playthings to the beings that can store information in nuclear bonds, and so on and so forth. Oh, and that there's no moral superiority to having a bigger brain.
>>
http://testyourvocab.com/
>>
>>8658904
>Gods are best when they're absent or not always there.
They're extremely powerful mages trying really hard to be gods and doing a horrible job at it. Harmony was probably the best-prepared mortal ever and he still sucks at it. That's one of those themes you guys mock me for saying Sanderson has.
>>
/r/ something like glen cook black company. Started instrumentalities of the night series but found it stylistically subpar.
>>
Guys I got a request for recs as I'm failing on my own

Don't care if it's scifi or fantasy but I'm looking for books, ideally single pov, where the main character goes through extensive training.

The one example I've read is Blood Song which is mainly about the main character's time in military academy
>>
>>8659096
Ender's Game.
>>
What PKD story should i read?

Ive read UBIK, androids dream, maze of death, three stigmata, timeslip, and man in high castke

I was thinking about scanner darkly but it sounded like it was about frugs rather than precogs/androids/timetravel
>>
>>8659157
Scanner is one of his best books.
>>
Anyone love harry harrison? I'm a big fan and i was just wondering what other people's favorites are from him. I personally enjoyed the deathworld books and the stainless steel rat.
>>
>>8659096
Red Rising.
Get past the first part.
>>
>>8659195
Deathworld was pretty fun, yeah. Haven't read it in ages.
>>
>>8659157
I'm with the other anon. Scanner is probably his best book.
>>
Oathkeeper, Stormlight Archive Book 3
>>
Waiting for the next Gentleman Bastards book. Still no confirmed publish date and it has already been pushed back several times.
>>
>>8659157
Danger! Human.
>>
File: mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg (337KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_fadrex-webres.jpg
337KB, 800x1200px
>>8658991
>Do they have to build better and better transhuman minds to figure them out?
Something like that, yeah. They swap out more and more of their body parts for artificial machine parts in order to compute faster, cool themselves, that sort of thing. The further they go up, the more humanity they lose.
>>
File: Morgan Freeman.jpg (82KB, 800x598px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan Freeman.jpg
82KB, 800x598px
>>8658940

Working on Earthsea at the moment.
>>
>>8659310
Oh, but they're not turning gas giants into computronium or building Dyson clusters to get the processing power or anything.

Wright does this cool thing where they still consider themselves humans no matter how grotesque or godlike they become, because it's the thought patterns that count. That's how the MC is able to have a pistol duel with the planet Jupiter or at least a legally bound proxy at the end of book 3. Some AIs become narcissists, some become humanitarians, one big one at least converts to Christianity, because they're all just people, even if they are very clever.
>>
>>8659318
That's good stuff. Perfect length for a novel. Stop after Farthest Shore, I've heard.
>>
File: mb03_urteau-webres.jpg (354KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_urteau-webres.jpg
354KB, 1200x800px
>>8659323
Nope. Nothing that extreme. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Dogs,_Turquoise_Days

Is this series just a normal book series, or a fleshed out meta-verse? Sounds neat, regardless.
>>
>>8659367
The novels are kind of baroque, in that most of the transhumanist action happens offscreen and gets pieced together after the fact. The first is MC waking up after humanity's first interstellar voyage to find out that his best friend came home and conquered the Earth, and their efforts to create strong AI and brain upgrades. The second and third are the MC waking up after another eight thousand years after his best friend's lieutenants have all had time to have their way with humanity, and about all the weird human subspecies that were created.

The fourth is three closely connected stories of how we were conquered and used to colonize neighboring star systems as part of the great quest to turn as much mass into thinking matter as possible because our spiral arm is in massive debt. The fifth should be about how we build/ascend into AIs strong enough to attract the notice of galactic intelligences, and the sixth and final, coming out next year, will carry us on to the Heat Death.

And the whole story is also about MC and his friend fighting for the love and attention of a space princess. Said friend is closely based on Blackie DuQuesne from EE Doc Smith. There's tons of other easter eggs for fans of old SF in there.
>>
>>8659195
The rat is pretty based.
>>
File: mb01_symbols-webres.jpg (66KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb01_symbols-webres.jpg
66KB, 750x500px
>>8659387
Why does that spoiler sound familiar?

I'm not too keen on transhumanism in my books though. I mean, I don't dislike it or have a problem with it but I don't go out of my way to read stories featuring it. My interests are more along the lines of future technology (obviously transhumanism would fit this) but more-so related to space itself, of which Revelation Space and the Xeelee Sequence were rife with, imo.

My favorite part of the entire RS universe is probably the last ~20% of the second trilogy book involving an inter-system space chase between two ships with inertial dampeners, all the while effects on the conscious crew's bodies were elaborated on in full detail as well. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much but it really stuck out to me.

Another neat thing is that the 'ending' of the RS universe involves nanomachines whose sole intent is to terraform any planet they come across into ripe vegetation but they begin doing this to such an extreme that all human-populated systems are consumed, and such a large quantity of the Milky Way is consumed that they force humanity to flee to another galaxy to escape.

And, of course, manipulation of mathematical concepts tickles me although I lack the mathematical knowledge to understand much of it.
>>
>>8659157
The Simulacra.

Doctor Bloodmoney is alright and it doesn't drag on.

I would not recommend Counterclock World.
>>
>>8659475
Valis is my favorite of his. Also check out Flow my Tears
>>
>>8659157
>>8659505
meant to reply to this post
>>
>>8659089
The Dread Empire prequels by Cook are good (The Fire in His Hands and With Mercy Towards None), the rest of the series is pretty crap though.

>>8659157
Time Out of Joint
>>
OK, 300 pages into WoT, I will definitely finish the opener, then play it by ear. I feel like some of the derivativeness is almost comical, like the author is playing it up for laughs: Trollocs? Mat and Perrin are moe as fuck though.
>>
>>8659601
The series is growing on me (I'm on book 6 at the moment) but everyone says that 8-12 are all pure shit so I'm apprehensive.
>>
>>8659601
The similarities to LoTR was intentional, and you also sort of have to keep the context of the fantasy industry at the time in mind. It was the sort of story that was popular back then and that's all there really is to it.

I would say read the first 3 books and if you don't like it don't go on. Books 4, 5, and 6 are probably some of the best in the series (but can move pretty slowly at times) and they are really the point in the series where the scope widens considerably.

>>8659611
It's not that they're pure shit, and for the most part they're kind of short so it's not that hard to get through them, it's just that they focused on side-plots that dragged on and would have been trimmed heavily if the publishers hadn't been trying to milk the series for more books. The second time I read the series through I found those books were considerably less tedious than I had remembered from my first attempt. Don't let the internet's opinion sway your own.

Just read them and move on because it's certainly not worth dropping the series over. Sanderson has a lot of faults as a writer but he definitely revived the series and did a good job of tying it all together, especially given how little time he had to get adjusted to the series before the publisher expected his first contribution.
>>
>>8659618
Yeah, I guess they would have been more infuriating if you read them as they came out, what with long breaks between books and Jordan's failing health.
>>
>>8659611
Yeah, that's called stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>8659601
The first book does not really give you any idea of what to expect from the entire story. The plot of Eye of the World is like an abridged version of LotR that just leads into WoT's actual plot. Eye of the World contains so much foreshadowing it's crazy, it's actually super dense with it, but when you're reading it for the first time it goes mostly unnoticed. It's almost like he designed the superficial plot of the novel to be derivative and simplistic on purpose as misdirection.
>>
>>8659611
>everyone says that 8-12 are all pure shit
Absolutely nah. Some of Matt's best scenes are in those books.
>>
>The ending to blood mirror

god damn it
what a crock of shit
>>
>>8659901
Is that a GOOD crock of shit or a BAD crock of shit anon.
>>
>>8659909

It's horrible
>>
>>8659912
I meant to say - did you think that the ending was well written or badly written.
>>
>>8659915

It's completely abominable
>>
>>8659917
I didn't think it was as good as the previous three and dragged, but I felt that the ending hit the right notes.
>>
>>8659926

Half the book was about kip not being able to have sex
>>
>>8659928
If I could draft black luxin to forget the Kip scenes I would. God. What shit filler.
>>
>>8658747
I'm looking forward to By Man Shall His Blood Be Shed: A Catholic Defense of the Death Penalty. It should make for a very interesting read.
>>
>>8659929

The entire book was overhyped shit can full of nothing but disappointments
>>
>>8660012
>2 more years until something actually happens
>>
>>8658747
>What book published in 2016 did you read?
The Medusa Chronicles - pretty good
Revenger - it was ok
Red Rising 3: Morning Star - meh, getting too old for this YA
The Great Ordeal - halfway through, good so far.
Brandon Sanderson - I like his cosmere stuff

Death's End which I have but haven't read yet
Stormlight archive book 3
Reynolds's sequel to The Prefect that should appear in 2017
The Thorn of Emberlain
7 Things To Do Before You Die in Talgarth (Shades of Grey #2) never
>>
>>8660019

RIP
>>
>>8660111
I heard we aren't getting a shades of grey sequel.

What's this book gonna be about? The mc learning to throw people on a pyre while being cucked by his wife?

Marrying a girl while you were a virgin and she is not, is not a good thing. She will use her pum pum to control you.
>>
>>8660019
I was planning to an hero soon... this fucking writer scum.

It was to be 3 books, then you hear it's four, was to be 4 books, then you hear it's five.. was to be five books, then...
>>
>>8660138

for your sake, you should go ahead, with the way its going, its going to get a lot worse and you should relish the memories of the first 3 books
>>
File: 1455929590757.png (109KB, 203x259px) Image search: [Google]
1455929590757.png
109KB, 203x259px
>>8660138
>Dying with the series incomplete EVER
He'd probably come up with a sequel to Lightbringer after the last book and then you wouldn't be around to enjoy it.
>>
The great ordeal, best book of 2016. Cant wait for he unholy consult. Bakker still has it.
>>
>>8660154

Trying to get into Bakker, but it's pretty hard with English as a second language.
Translations into my language are utter shit though, especially Fantasy and SF, so I am gonna keep at it anyway.
>>
>>8660162
That's got more with the fact that Bakker has shit tier writing. The translation isn't the problem and neither is your English.
>>
>>8660125
Sorry, didn't understand your post. It looks like you're an idiot.
>>
>>8659437
I know what you mean about that last part. There's some sort of tingle I get when I know I'm reading something way beyond my level of comprehension. Makes it sound more believable, cause I'm sure the more you know the less realistic scifi gets
>>
>>8660154
I've heard the prince of nothing trilogy reccomended, are all three worth reading?
>>
>>8660183
Read the book to understand... what are you doing on a literature board if you don't even read book?
>>
>>8660444
I did read it. Your "comment" is as unrelated to it as it can get. How do your issues have anything to do with the book?
>>
Senlin Ascends looks to be an excellent book.
I am reading the second one first for reasons, but at this stage I don't think it's simply a meme.
>>
>>8660470
>I am reading the second one first for reasons
Stopped reading.
>>
>>8660481
I enjoy reading things out of order.
>>
It works because I've read 196 pages of the second one and 40 pages of the first one. Helps to tamp down on my writer's block tb͏h.
>>
>>8660488
>>8660494
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1466410292821.gif (672KB, 400x561px) Image search: [Google]
1466410292821.gif
672KB, 400x561px
>>8660496
You're going to have to try harder reddit.
>>
Let's be honest here

How can a fantasy book even compete with anime?
>>
>>8660588
easily
>>
>>8660453
Then read the book again, because it's what happened in book 1, and my "comment" was about if he was going to base book 2 on that.
>>
>>8660499
Actually you are the redshit for memeing the book, fagget.
>>
>>8660588
By writing anime in prose form [see footnote 1].

Footnote 1. Books such as House of Blades, and Sanderson's works.
>>
File: pe.jpg (7KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
pe.jpg
7KB, 230x219px
>sick of sanderson
>read romantic fantasy by female author
>heroine lost her virginity to someone else before the start of the book
>>
>>8660762
But he said compete. Honestly I like anime but can't stand Sanderson.
>>
>>8660588
Anime is made for children but features so much escapism targeted towards adults going through depression
>>
Why don't the huge majority of fantasy writers even attempt good prose? Is fantasy simply attracting authors who are too lazy to learn the craft of writing, come up with interesting ideas, or do any actual research?
>>
>>8660827
How do you know they aren't? It's just the easy to read ones that get popular.
>>
>>8660827
Everyone defines "good prose" differently. What do you think is missing from the prose of current authors?
>>
>>8660835
Alright, what are some well-written fantasy books that aren't popular?
>>
>>8660847
There's no discernible attempt at crafting beautiful, evocative, inventive passages. Fantasy authors seem far to focused on McBadasses slinging spells and showing off their shitty worldbuilding than actually writing something interesting.
>>
>>8659096
Forever War
>>
>>8660862
You might prefer the "New Weird" authors (Meiville, VanderMeer, Harrison although he isn't "new", Hal Duncan") They seem to be consciously writing in response to this and to many other personal problems they have with fantasy
>>
>>8658747
From 2016, I read Written in Fire, Staked, Bands of Mourning, Calamity, Down Station, The Everything Box, Kill Switch, The Fireman, and The City of Mirrors

I though Staked, Bands of Mourning and The Fireman were just horrible. Author-dropping bad, though Sanderson was saved because I read Calamity first and was satisfied with that.

Also very satisfied with City of Mirrors. I liked The Passage a lot, but its sequel didn't impress me as much so it was good to see it rally.

Kill Switch is part of a series of straight-up techno-thrillers with an ex Army ranger battling shadowy bands of villains who would strike the world with plagues, bioengineered zombies, and plagues of bioengineered zombies. If that's your thing, the series is still solid eight books in.
>>
File: 1477224128907.jpg (199KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
1477224128907.jpg
199KB, 660x495px
Blindsight rocked

Echopraxia was very good, overshadowed by Blindsight but still solid.

How's Rifters?
>>
>>8660883
The Scar was decent, I'll give the other two guys a try.
>>
>>8660849
The Buried Giant
>>
Can you read The Scar without having read Perdido Street Station? I heard it's better in that it actually has a plot.
>>
File: cover.jpg (56KB, 525x795px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
56KB, 525x795px
What does /lit/ think about this book?

I'm almost done with it and this motherfucker is still "world building."
>>
What historical settings are under-used but not hard to implement?
>>
>>8660733
You've seen a rough draft of the plot already?
>>
>>8661140
See >>8656093
>>
>>8661140
I thought it was interesting.
>>
>>8660764
>anons whining about Sanderson characters not slutting about like it's a bad thing
>waaah why won't the camera penetrate the sanctity of the characters' marriage beds if it doesn't do that they're not having sex wahh
>>
File: 4548188-16x9-700x394.jpg (28KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
4548188-16x9-700x394.jpg
28KB, 700x394px
Your thoughts on this bald man?
Does he have a single well-realized character in his whole body of work?
Does he even try to write a decent story? Or does he always rely exclusively on his (not that bad tbqh) worldbuilding skills?
>>
>>8661613
I'm only familiar with Embassytown. The only character I remember anything about from it was the old half-man, and I just remember that he was sad. And the mismatched twins, too, but just that they were dysfunctional.

That said, I can't recall anyone talking about his characters here, other than the old guy in Perdido Street Station that's got a bug girlfriend, and that was just from his bug girlfriend.

Contrast that with Sanderson. Tons of opinions on Sanderson characters. Not saying Sanderson's a better writer. It might be possible that Mieville's characters are just so good they fade into the background. Then again, we'll remember Pratchett's characters all our lives.
>>
>>8660895

Fuck you and fuck that meme
I read half of that garbage and it's the worst book I've ever almost read
>>
Why did brian jacques have to die
>>
>>8661700
My old friend, I am not like the seasons. I cannot go on forever. It has to finish sometime. The friends I know and love are all about me. The sun shines warmly upon us. Nature is ready to yield her bounty again in plenty this autumn. I have seen it all before, many times, and yet I never cease to wonder. Life is good, my friends. I leave it to you. Do not be sad, for mine is a peaceful rest.
>>
Looking for mono no aware. Not forced mono no aware like Never Let Me Go, real melancholy Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou stuff.
>>
>>8661854
Would you like a katana with your order, Mr. Weeaboo?
>>
>>8661859
not looking for action, sir, just passage of seasons
>>
>>8660588
Wheel of Time is basically a 1980s fantasy anime.

Stormlight Archive is a 2000's anime.
>>
File: soremachi.jpg (834KB, 1280x3600px) Image search: [Google]
soremachi.jpg
834KB, 1280x3600px
>>8661902
>all these plebs that think anime is powerlevels and hot blood
It's 12-ep manga/LN adaptations now, bud, get with the times. Anime is basically reliving the pulp era.
>>
>>8660862
>There's no discernible attempt at crafting beautiful, evocative, inventive passages
Probably because that's not why people read fantasy. This is a genre famous for its purple prose. Tolkien's imitators not only steal his set pieces and plot devices, they also try to mimic is mastery of language (and fail). At the other end of the spectrum you have those that just try to be as readable and utilitarian in their writing as possible. The Jordans, the Cooks, the Eriksons of fantasy, and I actually think that's a better paradigm for the genre.
>>
>>8661912
Nigga you have no idea how much anime I consume. And that's why I specifically dated what kind of anime those series are.
>>
>>8661935
Oh, my mistake. Glazed right over that. Yeah, I can see Stormlight being the kind of thing Gonzo was coming out with ten years ago, except he explains what's going on sometimes.
>>
Is Son of the Black Sword any good?
>>
>>8660764
Dumb frogposter
>>
>>8661959
Pretty good. Nice mystery in the worldbuilding, MC's a bro, good moral conflict. Gets a little wonky in the last chapter setting up for a sequel, but at least we know he'll write it.
>>
>>8661969
How similar is the style to monster hunter?
>>
I caught up on Stormlight Archive and I'm hungry for more Sanderson, but I can't really get into Warbreaker. I've been putzing around in chapter 1 for a week now unwilling to really dig into it. Would I have better luck with Mistborn or another one one of his Comsere books?
>>
>>8661978
You could try the Powder Mage books, they're written by Sanderson's acolyte and are pretty similar in style.
>>
So I was reading The White Luck Warrior and put it on hold for Lord Foul's Bane, but now I've put THAT on hold for Red Mars. Since I'll have to finish Blue and Green Mars also, can anybody recommend me anything similar? Because so far it honestly looks as though it'll become my favorite novel. Robinson has it all. Like the rich man's Crichton and Asimov in one.
>>
Can we have a chart for "SFF books that are different" maybe? For fantasy, non medieval, heroes journey etc. related stuff. For scifi, non-space, galactic travel etc. related stuff.

Just an idea if someone is in the mood
>>
>>8661959
It's shit
>>
Peter Watts replied to my fan mail! He was incredibly short with me, but then I did send him 1000+ words
>>
who is the most exciting original voice in contemporary scifi?
>>
>>8660903
Mieville himself said the scar is a better book to start with, but I haven't read it and I did read perdido, and I thoroughly fuckin loved it, so I wouldn't stress.
>>
>>8662194
C. J. Cherryh :3
>>
>>8662132
But that's implying that fantasy without hero's journey really is that different, when it's not. Everyone and their dog has been trying to write something different for decades. It's your fault for not noticing.
>>
>>8662100
I thought Mars was mediocre, but I loved Robinson's Aurora. Just steer clear of his Science in the Capital series
>>
>>8662318
>Aurora
>space colonization is impossible because it's hard, you're a bad person for wanting to leave Earth
Everyone knows the only good KSR is Years of Rice and Salt.
>>
>>8662194
Gene Wolfe
>>
>>8662334
>exciting
>>
>>8662336
If you have a brain, then yeah
>>
>>8660744
>Not torrenting and reading whatever actually good /lit/erature takes your fancy
t. retard
>>
>>8662341
Wolfe is cozy. You don't need constant stimulation.
>>
>>8662132
>For fantasy, non medieval, heroes journey etc. related stuff
So like 90% of all fantasy written in the last 20 years?
>>
File: 9ba4e00f67e824eb42cd8e4343bad1ee.jpg (239KB, 736x1244px) Image search: [Google]
9ba4e00f67e824eb42cd8e4343bad1ee.jpg
239KB, 736x1244px
Anyone read this? It's better than every Dune book, except I and IV.
>>
>>8658991
He's talking about Diamond Dogs. Good stuff.
>>
>>8660892
Rifters is slightly less good than blondsight, maelstrom is half as good as rifters but still worth reading, behemoth is an edgy waste of time.
>>
File: 1477084261512.jpg (62KB, 765x772px) Image search: [Google]
1477084261512.jpg
62KB, 765x772px
80% through Wise Man's Fear and I want off this ride already. It just keeps getting worse and worse as it goes on.

>women are better fighters than men
>because they are

>barbarian scum, how can you think extreme promiscuity is not normal

>anime-tier mary sue protag getting out of every single situation through some lazy bullshit

Why the fuck am I still reading this shit, please end my misery
>>
>>8662342
...uh I think you misquoted the wrong anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (616KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
616KB, 800x800px
>>8659387
>yfw you are living in the pleb-tier Orion Arm that hasn't even evolved into an Archon-level intellect yet.
>>
>>8662529
Read up to the part about the demon in the tree and then stop.

Literally the only interesting concept in the entire series.
>>
>>8662576
Yeah I'm already past that, might have been the part that made me read further.

If one more woman decides to fuck him for no reason I'll give it up.
>>
File: wiagb4.jpg (87KB, 804x500px) Image search: [Google]
wiagb4.jpg
87KB, 804x500px
What made Dassem Ultor, a mortal, such an amazing swordsman?
>>
>>8662585
He was based on a character from the tabletop game Erikson played who had really good rolls
>>
>>8662579
If it makes you feel better the one woman he wants to fuck won't fuck him.
>>
>>8662574
>tfw after thirty thousand years of conquest the aliens finally speak to mankind to tell us to shut up and get back to work
>>
>>8662318
I guess I'll check it out. And wow, I didn't know that he wrote YRS, I've always wanted to read that.
>>
Can someone elaborate on what's bad in the night angel trilogy? I've read here a few times that people say lightbringer is the same but corrects the faults, but I'm not sure what those faults are. The concept for night angel sounds more fun than lightbrinder and there's some dumb stuff I can look past so I want a bit more persuasion for why it should be skipped.
>>
>>8662903
Word of advice, read for your own enjoyment.
Don't bother with these pseuds.

I enjoyed night angel. The gri and assassin bit maybe was too much for some of our 30+ year old readers, but I wss entertained.

It tithe me over when I was waiting for some other books.
>>
just finished the blood mirror

felt like a really meh book to me, barely advanced any storylines and got sidetracked with irrelevant shit

I'll read the next one because I do actually find the overall story interesting when it's moving but I'm glad I didn't pay for this one

like a lot of 'epic fantasy' authors, it seems like the thing weeks is most in need of is a good editor
>>
>>8661978
The issue is that Stormlight is much better than his other books. The first Mistborn is ok, though obviously YA-ish.
>>
>>8663347
It was literally pagefiller, I want to cry.
>>
>>8663598
I don't believe you.
>>
>>8662529
You are retarded, as shown by the fact that after the first being horrible you of your free will chose to read the second.
>>8661613
>Your thoughts on this bald man?
Writes 800 page novels when they can be condensed into 250. Annoying preaching. Incapable of depth.
>Does he have a single well-realized character in his whole body of work?
Not that I know of.
>Does he even try to write a decent story? Or does he always rely exclusively on his (not that bad tbqh) worldbuilding skills?
I'd guess only 'world building'.
In all honesty, Warhammer 40k wiki is a better read.
>>
>>8662585
>gave up on reading Malazan at Dust of Dreams because the series looked to be going on forever and I was just burned out by the never ending avalanche of races and names and concepts
>I only had to stick with it for one more book to be done
Fuck.
>>
>>8660889
I was pretty happy with city of mirrors.
The way things ended felt right. I know some people weren't happy because it wasn't a fairy tale ending but I really enjoyed it.
>>
File: images-48.jpg (31KB, 309x476px) Image search: [Google]
images-48.jpg
31KB, 309x476px
So I'm a quarter of the way into this and I love the prose but I literally want to rape Kvothe to death. Does he ever get less annoying and stop jacking off to how smart, handsome and perfect he is? Or should I read something else?
>>
File: 1452227471075.png (395KB, 825x1585px) Image search: [Google]
1452227471075.png
395KB, 825x1585px
>>8663907
>Or should I read something else?
Do that.
>>
>>8663907
>lit my baby hands are so small and clumsy
>hold my dick while I pee so I don't soil myself
>>
>>8663913
I won't lie, Kvothe being some retard who made all that shit up genuinely appeals to me. But Rothfuss isn't remotely self aware enough to consider that.
>>
File: qdlfZ7w.jpg (99KB, 719x960px) Image search: [Google]
qdlfZ7w.jpg
99KB, 719x960px
Dune fucking sucked
>>
>>8663924
Are you triggered, Rothfuss fanboy?
>>
>>8663935
I liked book one, thought a lot of shit would get ironed out in book 2... I was wrong.

I don't wanna read about love struck puppies being friendzoned and cucked.
>>
>>8663929
I that what white ppl are into? They would rather have a big belly girl, than a big booty one?
>>
>>8664072
Oh god does Kvothe OCkiller get even more lovestruck and friendzoned in the second book?

I don't know what to do. I definitely don't want to read this but my friend lent it to me and I don't want to hurt his feelings because he's obsessed with it.
>>
>>8664080
He is friendzoned by that bitch Danna or w/e but he fucks ancient sex demons and a race of female ninjas
>>
>>8664091
Does anything bad ever happen to him that's explicitly his fault and not just coincidence or because someone was jealous of him? Does he ever develop any flaws apart from being an insufferable cunt? Is there ever a single moment when he's not the best, the smartest, the most handsome in the room?

I can barely put into words how much I detest his character at this point in the story.
>>
>>8664099
You need to understand you're literally reading the text form of a drunk dude bragging about how awesome he is at a tavern. The entire story is Kvothe talking himself up and a lot of it is just him lying.
>>
>>8664137
Except like I said before Rothfuss doesn't have enough self-awareness for that.

Kvothe is literally his self-insert, and everything his says is true.
>>
File: Really Tempted.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
Really Tempted.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
>>8664143
Maybe it's true to Kvothe. Kvothe never learnt to read minds, so maybe he took the way someone acted towards him and amplified the negativity.

Maybe the other person disliked him, like how some rich kids dislike less fortunate ones.
Have you ever been the poor kid in a group of rich ones? I have, they are cunts.

They brag about their parent's accomplishments as if it were their own, and try to single out and prank the poor one. Not all but some, and when I say rich and poor, I mean middle class (me) and rich (the other kids).

The rich kids see middle class as poor, and Kvothe being a poor muck, who got into a school for rich fucks, and was actually making something for himself drew the attention of ambrose(or w/e his name was). If didn't help that he went out of his way to fuck with ambrose first. But whatever.

I think rothfuss was going for a harry potter feel. Harry (kvothe), ron (the other guy) and Hermione (the girl). I think ambrose was supposed to be Draco Malfoy.

The female ninjas could have been explained, different cultures have different beliefs. Only stupid Americlaps would bring up the female ninjas as a point for derision.

Go to Japan, Klapistan, and Africa. Each has a different way of treating women. Is the derision because the females run shit? You know some places in the world women run shit right? It's not something hard to believe, just because they don't hqve science to know how conception works you hold this up as some irrefutable truth. It was to show the different peoples and beliefs of the world. Fuck off.

It could have been a great novel, all the little shit you masturbate over and hand out to unwilling recipients could be explained (except him being a virgin and fucking a slag who has had literally thousands of men, and her "never feeling like this before").

What could not be explained was KVOTHE CHASING DEANA ALL FUCKING BOOK AND STILL GOING AFTER HER WHEN SHE SAID SHE DIDN'T WANT YOUR ASS.

Fuck Rothfuss.
>>
>>8664351
That's not even what's wrong with the book in my opinion. It's just bland. Kvothe sees his parents killed by Generic Fantasy Villain #1999, goes to magic school, and sings some shit songs. That's it. The entire plot of Name of the Wind. In a more character driven story it could have worked but Kvothe is the only character and he has nothing going for him other than that he's the best at everything.

I think Rothfuss was trying to write a satire of the hero's journey, or a Munchausen type story. Those type of stories can work, but only if the happenings are truly outlandish and bizarre. Only if the writer is self-aware and not afraid of making the protagonist seem a little pitiful and worthy of derision at times. Rothfuss does none of that. The last book will have Kvothe save the world from the generic blue flame dudes and prove all the mean jealous haters wrong. You know it and so do I. Nuance is lost on Rothfuss.
>>
Dresden Files is a bit odd

The whole low fantasy secret world of the supernatural stuff works and is believable but Dresden himself absolutely isn't, he dresses like an autist and yet everyone treats him like a serious sex object pi
>>
>>8664143
I don't get why people argue against this, Rothfuss himself said everything absolutely happened word for word, exactly as described.
>>
>>8661613
His Dial H run was... well
>>
>>8658812
>highly advanced alien civilization
>enslaves humans
>just a thinly veiled allegory for enslavement of niggers
And just like that I know it's clearly not worth my time. Thanks for letting me know.
>>
>>8664494
He actually did? What a faggot.

I hope Kvothe dies after fucking himself with a draccus dildo in an attempt to prove that he has the most cavernous asshole in all of wherever the fuck the story is set.
>>
So who is bigger cancer Kvothe or Kellhus?
>>
>>8664657
yes
>>
>>8664747
My thoughts exactly
>>
File: brandon sanderson.png (277KB, 611x716px) Image search: [Google]
brandon sanderson.png
277KB, 611x716px
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/791709851684483072
Oh shit
>>
File: bs.png (585KB, 692x1685px) Image search: [Google]
bs.png
585KB, 692x1685px
>>8664915
>>
>>8664915
Welp...
Mistborn anime when?
>>
>>8664950
>shit company
>hack writers
>adapting a ten book series that's 2 books in
This is going to go well :)
>>
>>8664489
HE DOESN"T ACTUALLY WEAR A FEDORA
He hates hats
I hate fags that don't read the book and just comment on the fucking cover
You fags give yourself away so easy.

If you are not talking about the hats, the coat is filled with defensive spells. They can Stop bullets.
>>
>>8664960
>DMG also contributed as a production partner for Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3, though Disney and DMG withdrew plans to apply for official co-production status in China. Despite the withdrawal, DMG's involvement resulted in inclusion of various Chinese elements such as the casting of Chinese actor Wang Xueqi and footage shot in Beijing. The companies also edited a different version of Iron Man 3 to be distributed in China. The version included a scene with actor Fan Bingbing and "bonus footage specifically for Chinese viewers".[6]

You rike mist?
>>
>>8664965
He spends the whole of fucking storm front talking about wearing his hat

He explicitly mentions keeping it on in the gangster's car. Plus it's not like the hat is the key problem with his appearance
>>
>>8664965
>If you are not talking about the hats, the coat is filled with defensive spells. They can Stop bullets.
This... sounds like autism to me.
>>
>>8664977
Smogborn
>>
>>8664965
I hope for your sake this is an ironic post
>>
>>8664351
I grok you brother.

I am God, You are God, Our General Brothers are God, and Kvothe is God.

Please let us share meme of life.
>>
>>8664965
At one point in the first book he's wearing "sweats, a tshirt, a duster and slicked back greasy hair"

How is that not dressing like an autist?
>>
File: jim-butcher.jpg (111KB, 940x960px) Image search: [Google]
jim-butcher.jpg
111KB, 940x960px
>>8665073
Give the guy a break
>>
>>8664915
Sanderson looks like the prototypical convention-goer.
>>
>>8664657
Kvothe. Kellhus is just some weird philosophical thought experiment.
>>
>>8664657
I'm not sure if it's possible to write a character worse than Kvothe
>>
>>8665111
>>8665149
What's so bad about him as a character even?
>>
File: Kvothe.jpg (51KB, 467x700px) Image search: [Google]
Kvothe.jpg
51KB, 467x700px
>>8664657
I once had a very vivid sexual dream about the scene where Kvothe goes out naked to buy clothes, except in the dream he was assaulted by a group of bandits, after which they bought him panties, skirts and corsets. As the dream and the story progressed Kvothe became more and more of a sissy (see pic related), and the culmination was Kvothe letting all the inn-goers fuck her on top of the bar. Now every time I read about Kvothe I become erect, imagining her as the sissy slut she was born to be. So I can't exactly see her as cancer.
>>
>>8665170
Poor gypsy who's hated by everyone for no reason is the best at everything and all the girls love him and he's super smart and also good at music and and and nad andandand and and and andand nadn ad

Mary sue
>>
>>8664990
Read the books to find out.
>>
I've got 60 pages left in the first Dresden files book and if the missing husband is behind it all I'm giving up on the series immediately
>>
>>8664580
>Gypsy with red hair and "light" eyes and has a stubborn/fiery personality

Your giving Rothfuss to much credit.
>>
>>8665355
First 2-3 books are shit.

It becomes a roller coaster ride you never want to get off after that though.(If you could read WoT and hate the later books, then read Dresden files and hate the first 3)
>>
>>8665433
can you just skip them? I'm not gonna read a series that starts with 3 bad books
>>
>>8665422
wrong post you quoting fagget

delete this
>>
>>8665440
Maybe.
When I read the book Butcher himself gave an introduction and said most people told him the first 2-3 are bad. I think he said you can skip them, then come back if you liked the series.

I just read in publication order.
>>
>Harry Dresden has faced some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago-area phone book.
>But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: The spirit world has gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble - and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone - or something - is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself....

i just can't, how does anyone read something with a description like this
>>
>>8665469
Its fun
>>
>>8665469
It's like sex.

When described in step by step detail, it's pretty gross and nasty. But when you do the act it's the most wonderful feeling you'll ever feel.

Well, shitty blurb, but the book is great.

The blurb sounds like Coldays. Am I right? Check goodreads, I'm sure it has over 5000 readers.
>>
>>8665522
It's Grave Peril, which was a step forward for the series, but still wasn't very good.
>>
>>8665469
It's a light hearted description that really doesn't speak to the quality of he book itself.

It's a funny contrast. The blurb's always read as silly and fun then you get hands melting and genocide.
>>
>>8665469
>Reading Dresden books.
You're doing it wrong. Listen to the audiobooks while doing something else. Giving those books 100% of your attention would detract from the experience, if anything.
>>
>>8665546
James Marsters is THE BEST NARRATOR EVER
>>
File: Cold Days.png (11KB, 384x91px) Image search: [Google]
Cold Days.png
11KB, 384x91px
>>8665522
Very apt analogy(kek), first time sex is awkward and frighten, follow up sex gets better and better.

When you are hooked to Dresden, you keep going back. You understand how the world works, so that blurb would be saying something different to someone who reads the book

>Check goodreads, I'm sure it has over 5000 readers.
>>
File: 3 fucking Years.png (28KB, 770x153px) Image search: [Google]
3 fucking Years.png
28KB, 770x153px
>been waiting 3 fucking years for this piece of filler shit book
fuck breeks
>>
>>8665177
I'll have what he's having
>>
>>8665613
Blood mirror shill on suicide watch.

Glad I didn't hype it up, or I would have enjoyed it less
>>
>>8665355
>>8665433
Turns out the "mystery" of it was insanely obvious but the action sequences and the backstory are interesting enough for me to give the series a few more books.

It's basically just pulp with magic anyway
>>
honest question, are there any fantasy series featuring foot fetishism?
>>
>>8665685
>>>/tv/
And stay there. You fuckers are spreading like the cancer you are.
>>
>>8665737
no need to be rude
>>
>>8661613
I thought Embassytown was amazing desu, though I thought Perdido Street Station was shit
>>
>>8661613
I'm still convinced he's a plagiarist, previously in theses threads somebody pointed out that some of his books are simply a expanded amalgamation of concepts and ideas stolen from Jack Vance.
>>
>>8665290
Oh no a protagonist who is good at things clearly this is the height of bad writing.
>>
>>8665998
This but without the sarcasm
>>
File: 2657334533.jpg (29KB, 214x346px) Image search: [Google]
2657334533.jpg
29KB, 214x346px
>Extremely sexually explicit depiction of a man being cucked
HARRY NO
HARRY PLEASE STOP
>>
>>8665998
You haven't read the book, have you?
>>
>>8666009
I WARNED YOU ABOUT TURTLEDOVE BRO!!!

I TOLD YOU DOG!
>>
>>8666016
I have, seems to me people who hate Kvoth and Name of the Wind just do so to be on a band wagon. That or they are just really, really bad at articulating their opinions like that guy I responded to.
>>
>>8666027
They provided a fairly accurate description of the book.

So far your two arguments have been strawmanning and flat out insulting them
>>
>>8666038
>They provided a fairly accurate description of the book.
Hardly. Look I can do it for Wheel of Time
>it's about a tall, good looking savior of all the world who is the bestest and strongest mage ever and also a master swordsman who can beat 5 swordsmen at once without even using his magic powers and while also being wounded so terribly lesser men would be screaming in agony and he also is the chosen one in like 7 prophesies and has 3 wives who all love him and each other and he can also make flowers and grass come to life just by walking by them and and and and
If you gloss over the flaws a character has and just focus on inanely describing the ridiculous sounding stuff you can reduce almost any protagonist into a "Mary sue".

I'll say it again: people who hate on this series either seem like mindless bandwagon drones or just exceptionally poor at explaining themselves.
>>
>>8666022
I can't stop now, I've come too far

Also I have to finish it for the podcast episode my friend and I will do on the series a couple months from now
>>
File: locke lamora.jpg (43KB, 314x475px) Image search: [Google]
locke lamora.jpg
43KB, 314x475px
Why does /sffg/ hate The Lies of Locke Lamora? By the standards of most fantasy books it's pretty well written and the book was a lot of fun.
>>
>>8666056
I liked it.
>>
>>8666056
I think the general consensus is that the first book is actually quite good but the series deteriorates from there. Doesn't help that the author is a procrastinating faggot either.
>>
>>8666054
You're not going all the way through the Cold War, are you? I couldn't even finish WWII. Then again I had most of his fantasy and alien WWIIs and going through that a third time was just not happening.
>>
>>8666073
Well that's definitely true. The first book could have made for a brilliant stand-alone.
>>
>>8666073
You don't deserve to read.
>>
>>8666051
Funny how you can't name any flaws.
The reality is that he is good at fucking everything the plot requires and it's literally always skills that require training that he has no practice in.

The University section is a fucking embarrassment with 500 pages across two books of "I'm well good but my rival hates me because I'm good and my girl is mysterious"

And the author writes like he gets wanked off for every adverb he uses such is the frequency of awful descriptive writing.

The only way to redeem the series is an "i was making it all up" ending, and if you do that it's still bad because you absolutely haven't respected the reader's time.
>>8666056
Locke's generally liked
Sequels aren't

It's not even a Blood Song situation where the author changed the formula. Lynch just didn't recapture the magic.
>>
>>8666109
Why has this perturbed you?
>>
>>8666123
It's the same kid who thinks name of the wind is good

Apparently nothing is bad to them
>>
>>8666081
Nooo, I will not. Just the WWI ones (and How Few Remain). I've had enough of Turtledove for the time being. The other guy read all of them years ago, so he's got insight into where the series goes, while all the sex scenes and endless descriptions of bad coffee are fresh in my mind.
>>
>No fantasy book about magical gang warfare
>>
>>8666051
...okay? So you've just stated a well known fact. How does that make NotW not bad?
>>
>>8666143
Someone on /tg/ posted that they were running a campaign where some alium mothership bubbles off a ghetto and the gangs inside steal the alium shit and keep fighting each other. Sounded like something that would make a good story. Never published, though, would be seen as (and would probably wind up being, in fairness) too racist.
>>
>>8666143
>dozens of pages of planning for a story about industrial era gangs with magic
>still haven't written it
>>
>>8665857
This. City and the City is great too.
>>
>>8666197

that sounds uncomfortably close to steampunk
>>
>>8666206
I could never bring myself to write a steampunk story so there's no fear of that. It's mostly just because it's a good era for illustrating what happens when technology, particularly transport and weapons, get to a point where they can give magic a run for its money in terms of being amazing/dangerous.
>>
File: cringe.png (86KB, 428x1524px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.png
86KB, 428x1524px
>>8666056
I thought it was terribly written. It was cringe-inducing, the type of books that only appeals to people that think it's cool when a character names his twin axes the wicked sisters. Also, see pic related.
>>
>>8666220

so thief 2?
>>
>>8666272
No, not really.
>>
>>8666249
This says more about Rothfuss than it does about The Lies of Locke Lamora.
>>
>>8666295

oh okay, so like the longest journey?
>>
>>8666302
I agree, but speaks poorly about both.
>>
>>8666312
No, that doesn't work as a criticism

Lots of awful people like good things
>>
>>8666249
>look mom imma post it again
>>
Reading through Dream Quest To Unknown Kadath and I have to say after the first 50 pages or so it kind of becomes a run-on trip. I'm at the part where the dude is starting to draw near the deserts around Leng and I'm not sure how much more I can stand to read. Books about journeys alway seem a bit monotonous and linear to me
>>
>shill both Brent Weeks and Michael J Sullivan's 2016 books
>they both disappoint you severely
Just end me. I don't have the shilling talent.
>>
>>8666056
Literally the first conversation made me cringe so hard I couldn't stand it. I don't have an issue with swearing but if you do it too much it starts to sound unnatural

>>8665469
Don't read the descriptions, read the books themselves. One of the strengths of Butcher as a writer is that he's very good at taking bad ideas and making them feel real and organic enough that you genuinely enjoy it and want to keep reading. He's not the one writing the taglines
>>
Has anyone read Lexicon?
>>
File: 1371698923302.jpg (47KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1371698923302.jpg
47KB, 680x510px
>>8658747
Is it too self-satisfying to have the end antagonist of a standalone novel be the psychic manifestation of the protagonist's longing for his past?
>>
File: wenn5366126.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
wenn5366126.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>8665103
I was thinking he looks uncannily like Dwight.
>>
>>8666553
I read it really quickly and enjoyed it but I think it was actually the weakest of Max Barry's novels that I've read. Can't quite put my finger on way though.
>>
>>8666553
Which one?

>>8666542
That happened to me too, I was reading mostly clean YA shit, then I read lies of locke.
>>
>>8666073
>procrastinating

IIRC the main reason behind most of the delays is that his wife divorced him, he lost his house, and then he married Elizabeth Bear this year. (lol his wife publishes more books than he does)
>>
>>8666589
>way
why*
>>
>>8666590
Honestly, the issue really is that there are only a handful of swear words and since they are used primarily for emphatic purposes they stand out in your mind, so if you cluster too many together it looks like you're repeating yourself which is just bad writing.

It's not so much a issue of density so much as creativity. Homestuck probably had one of the densest swear counts on record (or at least the highest) but the dialogue was consistently clever which made the swears less noticible
>>
>>8666611
>homofag anon complaining about what other people like
>>
>>8666656
I'm saying I didn't like it. I never insisted my taste is objective. It isn't. It's impossible for literary taste to be objective since art quality can't be quantified in any mathematical way.

That said, it's not for me, and I will not be reading it
>>
File: 1371353567767.jpg (13KB, 165x165px) Image search: [Google]
1371353567767.jpg
13KB, 165x165px
>>8666249
>my shitty hair dictates that I'll look like him years down the road
>>
File: 813lwptjn3l-_sl1377_.jpg (287KB, 864x1377px) Image search: [Google]
813lwptjn3l-_sl1377_.jpg
287KB, 864x1377px
Is Heinlein a cuckold fetishists?

Stranger in a strange land is just a cucking cult.
>>
>>8666143
>What is the Vlad Taltos series
>>
>>8666440
Listen, based on the people that post, most people who are convinced to read The Lies of Locke Lamora by this general end up disliking it. There are a couple of people that like it that say it's good even if the sequels aren't, and I'm expressing my countervailing view.

I made a poll to see if we can reach sffg consensus one way or the other, vote on how you liked The Lies of Locke Lamora:

http://www.strawpoll.me/11522397
>>
>>8667523
Never read it, but I know Vance has actual cuckolding shit in one of his stories, like a witch summons some black demons and fucks them while her husband is forced to watch. Weird shit.
>>
>>8664950
glad we're on the fast track to some warcraft tier gutter trash with this stuff
>>
>>8664077
>black humor
>>
>tfw i started the pat rothfuss is bad meme

feels good
>>
>>8667606
>meme
>fact

yeah, sure
>>
>>8660892

Depressing.

But good.
>>
>>8667606
Yes lad you alone started an opinion that's held all over the internet, one which appeared in early reviews of his first novel
>>
>>8667650
Yeah, in MY reviews of his first novel.
>>
who /joe abercrombie/ here? He's my favorite author right now, and The Heroes is the last standalone book I have yet to listen to. The narrator brings Sand dan Glokta to life, giving him an eery lisp.

Anyway, recommendations for similar audiobooks?
>>
>>8667571
Once people understand that Lies of Locke Lamora is the first book, and not the entire series.

The series is named Gentlemen Bastards.
>>
File: Dinosaurs.jpg (703KB, 2437x1047px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.jpg
703KB, 2437x1047px
>>8667574
Yea I read it, and it was some ritual or party.
It was shit, and the book was shit.

Fuck you Vance shills for making me read that book, so I could say without impunity that the book is shit.

Fuck Vance, fuck Conan and fuck grey mouse faggets.
>>
>>8667606
>Every person in the world can't read nor distinguish things. So they had to read your review to know it was bad...

Are you that deluded? Do you think we are all low IQ anon asking others for their opinions?
>>
>>8667733
I was going to comment on Abercrombie's prose, but then I finished reading your post. Maybe his books are better listened to than read.
>>
>>8667815
Yeah I was gonna suggest this in a much cuntier way

All of Abercrombie's biggest flaws (outside of his awful SUBVERSION and EDGE fetishes) are things that a good narrator could patch over.
>>
>>8667832
Subversion and edge?

also, I leafed through one of his books in Barnes and Noble to see if it held up, and it looked fine to me
>>
>>8667842
It is fine. In fact, it's perfectly adequate. I read four of his books (the law trilogy plus one stand-alone) and there's nothing wrong with his writing, but there's also nothing right with it. Nothing he writes is melodic or pretty. Nothing he writes is memorable.

That being said, there are some flaws which only reveal themselves after reading a few hundred pages. He tends to repeat words or phrases too often, and some of his description of people moving in time or space is clumsy, requiring multiple readings of a passage to realise that the characters have moved between rooms, or that a week is supposed to have passed.

Also:
>needing to piss
>>
>>8662529
broh that is exactly where I said 'fuck this shit fuck this book' seriously don't understand how it got so bad so fast. all the cringy sex stuff....
>>
does Dream Quest To Unknown Kadath get better? I'm getting bored of it
>>
>>8667808
>Do you think we are all low IQ anon asking others for their opinions?

Sorry

Do I think I should be offended?
>>
>second Dresden files book stops and has a chapter where the character talks to his subconscious just to unravel the plot threads.

That's a neat gimmick but it feels like it was done to trim 100 pages from the book
>>
>>8668282
It slides right off your back.
>>
File: Not Sure if Bait.jpg (155KB, 704x528px) Image search: [Google]
Not Sure if Bait.jpg
155KB, 704x528px
>>8665944

>previously in theses threads somebody pointed out that some of his books are simply a expanded amalgamation of concepts and ideas stolen from Jack Vance.

I missed that. I would have liked to have read that as I find it very unlikely.
>>
>>8668324

Thank you
>>
Unknown Kadath is great fantasy but if it doesn't suit your style don't read it. Sometimes a book just doesn't sit with the reader.
>>
>>8668288
He does that a few times through the series, but even where we are now it's not exactly clear what the significance is or even if he really is Dresden's subconscious. He disappears for a while when the Lashiel arc starts and doesn't appear again for like 8 books which raises some questions
>>
File: The Dying Earth - Jack Vance.jpg (34KB, 350x514px) Image search: [Google]
The Dying Earth - Jack Vance.jpg
34KB, 350x514px
>>8667574

It was the story "T'sais" from the original "The Dying Earth" book of short stories. Etarr is forcibly cuckolded by the witch Javanne.

>But presently I found that Javanne was one of dark urges that the love of man could never quell. And one midnight I found her in the embrace of a black naked demon, and the sight twisted my mind.

>"I stood back aghast. I was not seen, and I went slowly away. In the morning she came running across the terrace, smiling and happy, like a child. 'Leave me,' I told her. 'You are vile beyond calculation.' She uttered a word and the rune on my arm enslaved me. My mind was my own, but my body was hers, forced to obey her words.

>"And she made me tell what I had seen, and she revelled and jeered.

Vance wrote these stories in the Forties while he was still struggling to have his first story published.
>>
>new traitor son book is out
I hope you guys enjoy

W O R M S
O
R
M
S
>>
>>8668497
You're just baiting the guy to post that image with the no stamp and "GRI approved" on it

I still don't know if that means the books has gri and is therefore good, has gri and is therefore bad, has no gri and is therefore good or has no gri and is therefore bad.

Personally I got bored of Cameron's writing style like 50 pages in, I don't know how to describe it exactly but he kind of writes like a north american pretending to be european and it fails hard.
>>
>>8668519
>has no gri and is therefore bad.
This one. He thought the book has rape and that's apparently the only reason he picked it up. He also hates dragons and knights and thinks the book is bad because it includes them even though they're clearly visible on the cover beforehand so yeah.
>>
>>8668524
Makes sense I guess, I'm of the opposite (probably more common) opinion that rape is almost never done well enough to actually benefit a book.
Most of the time it drags the whole thing down.
>>
>>8668533

Wrong
>>
>>8668540
Name three examples of well done rape.
>>
>>8668693
At best you want rape medium-rare
>>
>>8668693

I don't need proof, if your opinion differs from mine it means you are wrong
>>
>>8668693
Daughters of Leucippus
Nanking
Your mother
>>
>>8668709
Couldn't even make a second serious suggestion without losing the plot
>>
>>8668925
I'm spent. Sorry for disappointing you.
>>
How do you guys feel about works in which the first half (which could be a novel on its own) follows a particular theme whereas the second half is almost completely disjoint in focus and theme aside from a few characters (including the MC)

For an example, I once "wrote" a work whose first half was a re-imagining of Ocarina of Time whereas the second half was basically Attack on Titan but with dragons pls no bully
>>
>>8669271
that does not sound like an enjoyable reading experience
>>
How do you use google file search again?
>>
>>8669423

have you tried google?
>>
>>8669423
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+you+use+google+file+search
>>
New Thread
>>8669626
>>8669626
>>8669626
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.