[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1843

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 894
Thread images: 92

File: Hituzigaoka_tenboudai_kuraku1.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Hituzigaoka_tenboudai_kuraku1.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Previous thread: >>17611798

This thread is for the discussion and learning of Japanese with raw VNs, LNs, Jdrama, anime and manga.
If you have no interest in otaku media or want to request a translation, this is not the thread for you.
Remember to sage!
>>
DJT is a meme.
>>
>spend about a year learning kanji and grammar and shit. nowhere near fluent but feeling good about my reading and sentence composition
>go to Japan
>every time anyone says anything it just sounds like "ching chong ding dong -shimasu"
It's a good thing they have signs for everything. I haven't understood a single thing anyone has said to me except for when the cashier at the konbini asked if I wanted my noodles heated up. So, heads up to any new learners.
>>
>I mined the word 研鑽 from the sentence "ケンさんと知り合いだったりし…"
>>
>>17630464
If only you'd spent a year learning Japanese instead.
>>
>>17630473
Or spent any time at all practicing listening. Although I don't know how to "practice" listening.
>>
>>17630481
I think the key is quantity. Imagine if Anon spent as much time on listening as anki.
>>
おはようおにいちゃん

おにいちゃんのしんごうきは

よこ?たて?
>>
>>17630481
There are a lot of shows or news or whatever you can watch. Doesnt even need to be anime, just normal tv shows or whatever.
>>
>>17630481
>Although I don't know how to "practice" listening.
Watch anime you've seen subbed without subs. This way you already know what's going on which it makes it easier to figure things out that you otherwise might not have understood. Cute girls doing cute things shows work best since the language is generally simple, they generally take place in school settings so have the common school-related vocabulary that shows up in lots of weeb media, female speakers enunciate things more clearly than male speakers and speak in more standard/less slangy Japanese so they're a lot easier to understand, and most importantly you don't really need to fully understand what's going on to enjoy it since there's no real plot to speak of.

Attention span is plays an important role in this. You have to try to remain attentive or your brain will just go into TV-watching zombie mode and stop paying attention to what the characters are saying.

Also, it can help to listen to the same thing over and over again. With every repeated listen (up to a certain point), your brain notices more and more things which it missed the first time round. You don't actually have to watch the episode again though, you can just listen to the audio from it while doing other things. When an episode is fresh in your memory you will be able to remember what was happening on screen at the time while just listening along, so there's no need to actually watch it more than once.
>>
>>17630464
On the contrary when I play VNs I can understand something when characters are voiced, but can't read the text.
>>
>>17630481
I practiced listening by making an audio anki deck with just voices on the front side using rikaisama to save the audio. And then I combined it with watching all my anime without subs. It's working well for me so far.
>>
>>17619205
Can anyone help me out with this?
>>
I'm trying to read Yotsubato as according to the guide but it's such a slog to read through, I swear 95% of it is just kana! Do you all have any recommendations for something a bit more readable?
>>
>>17630672
https://warosu.org/jp/thread/S17501707#p17511198
>>
>>17630547
sorry dude but anime is not gonna help you really understand real people in real life and you dont have to look very far to find accounts of this
>>
>>17630675
it will actually
>>
File: nm.jpg (41KB, 707x273px) Image search: [Google]
nm.jpg
41KB, 707x273px
I configured the real-time import feature as written in the guide and it's working fine. However the audio part is not working? When I add simple kanji to the deck I'm not getting any audio.
>>
>>17630681
you gotta try to veil your misinformation a little better sorry
>>
>>17630702
im not the one posting misinformation bro
>>
>>17630705
judging by your insta replies id say youre trying way too hard right now as well
>>
>>17630711
no i just happen to be here
>>
>>17630674
>having studied for nearly four years
I've studied for five weeks so I'm not at that level to read only kana. I just want something more readable for my level because whenever I try to read I look at a few pages of Yotsubato I put it right back down and try again a few days later only for the cycle to repeat. To improve I need to read and I need to start reading with something a bit simpler
>>
>>17630717
If you're at five weeks literally everything is going to be a slog whether it's written in half kana or not. It's probably a good idea to look for other manga if you're considering it, but don't think it'll solve that problem.

>>17622195
>There are easy manga with furigana that aren't Yotsuba. There's so many that if you look it's impossible not to find something compelling.

>You can preview random manga (to see if it's easy) by googling the name of the manga plus 立ち読み or 試し読み. For example:

>https://www.google.com/search?q=絶対霊域 立ち読み&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
http://sokuyomi.jp/product/zettaireii_001/CO/1/

>You can also just browse those digital manga sites and look for interesting manga that way instead of starting with the name.

>Once you find a manga that's fairly interesting, google its name plus "zip", or search for it on nyaa. You'll find a pirated version 90% of the time or more.
>>
>>17630717
There is literally nothing that will be easy for you to understand at 5 weeks of learning, except contrived textbook sentences that use the few words you already know. You have to start somewhere, and wherever you start will be difficult.

Don't expect to understand the whole thing, just try and pick out some sentences that you can read and figure those out. A tool like Rikaichan can help you figure out the boundaries between words, if that's giving you trouble.
>>
>>17630717
I'm at week one but I gave up on manga for the time and instead I'm trying to read NHK easy news like anon recommended last thread. It's much more interesting for me than something like Yotsuba

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011137151000/k10011137151000.html for example
>>
>>17630752
Zzzzzz
>>
>>17630717
dont worry i got something that im sure youll mostly understand and pick up some new things as well while being in all kana! you dont have to join the idiot crowd who deciphers texts way above them 1 word at a time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLMfvVO0Cs
>>
おなかすいた

ピザたべたい
>>
>>17630773
なんか俺もさ
>>
>>17630672
Just get the reading guide. I had problems at first reading it as well, because of all the slang I am not used to, since I only knew textbook stuff at that time. The reading pack helped a ton, currently reading the third volume. There are still some sentences I dont understand, but in those cases I just look the sentence up in the english version and try to make sense of the words.
>>
File: e239e46e0f0761edcfebb533cad8d8c4.jpg (104KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
e239e46e0f0761edcfebb533cad8d8c4.jpg
104KB, 1280x960px
>>17630780
ピザまんたべよー
>>
Since I couldn't find it in the guide: does anyone have any /djt/-approved video games? Since I started learning only recently, going through long blocks of text like in VNs still feels like a pretty big slog, whereas in games it at least gets interspersed with some combat or cutscenes or whatever. RPGs seem perfect for this, since they have a lot of text but often not so much that it becomes a chore.

I'm enjoying Digimon Adventure for PSP so far, much of the dialogue is voiced, and all the dialogue (although not the menus) have furigana, so that's pretty useful. The only downside is that the resolution is too low to read everything effectively, some of the kanji are hard to recognize and the furigana is absolutely tiny (although in my case it does motivate me to learn to recognize the kanji better rather than focusing on the furigana). It's also a game for kids so the dialogue is simple enough.

After this I might go for Tales of Phantasia X, it's also almost fully voiced although it doesn't have furigana.

/vr/ usually recommends Pokémon games, but since they're almost completely in kana I find them very difficult to read effectively (although games past gen V do have kanji).
>>
>>17630790
>does anyone have any /djt/-approved video games?

No such thing but basically anything with cutscenes that pretend to be like a VN (compile heart's recent games are a good example, including neptunia, fairy fencer f, moero, etc) will work well. Texthookers probably won't work but in such games you can use scrollback and replay voice lines.
>>
File: DJoCgqVVAAAryjM.jpg (136KB, 608x960px) Image search: [Google]
DJoCgqVVAAAryjM.jpg
136KB, 608x960px
I completely agree with him

https://twitter.com/bell4210/status/908041134466768896
>>
>>17630801
日本語難しいですね
>>
File: DG4Rw7FUQAAljiY.jpg (75KB, 802x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DG4Rw7FUQAAljiY.jpg
75KB, 802x1024px
てめえが
欲しがってたんじゃねえか

what does the たん in the middle stand for?
>>
>>17630819
てめえが欲しがっていたのじゃないか
>>
>>17630790
dont worry i got your back too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2hHCZdWtTQ
>>
>>17630795
>compile heart's recent games are a good example, including neptunia, fairy fencer f, moero
A lot of the steam releases for those don't have kanji
>Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls
>Moero Chronicle
>Fairy Fencer F Advent Dark Force
are about the only ones i can be bother to confim that do
Also, fuck xseed while we're at it
>>
File: file.png (4KB, 293x98px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4KB, 293x98px
>>17630889
Just check the store page dude. If it says Japanese text that means it has Japanese text.
>>
>>17630897
I know, thats how i know most of them dont have it
maybe its banned in aus? what is that game, can i check it?
>>
>>17630903
That's re;birth 1. Definitely has Japanese, they added it after release but it's there and runs with it.
>>
>>17630906
Oh i see it now, i didn't know they added it later, huh
ya done good idea factory
>>
事情 ↔ 情事
It's so easy to remember some words.
>>
File: kya.jpg (823KB, 960x2182px) Image search: [Google]
kya.jpg
823KB, 960x2182px
>>17630790

The PSP versions of FF1 and 2 allow for switching between English and Japanese from the menus at least.

Also if you want to do ToP, someone wrote out a transcript of (all?) the Japanese text in the PSP version, spanning several pages. Handy for looking things up.

http://restalittle.blog.fc2.com/blog-category-7.html
>>
キングコンガ

むりー
>>
>>17630795
Thanks for the tips. I actually own the English version of one of the Neptunia games, but I gotta say, it wasn't my cup of tea. The story and dialogue was okay, but the gameplay was really dull. But I didn't play very much of it.

>>17630858
I like it, it looks really good. I'll give it a shot.

>>17630927
Awesome, thanks. Didn't know there was a transcript available! I know most of the plot since I played both the SNES and GBA versions before (neither of which had great translations, the first had the 'Arche fucks like a tiger' line from that one fan translator, the other one was the official translation which translated 'Ragnarok' into 'Kangaroo'), but it'll definitely help for the less easily legible kanji.
>>
>>17630965
頑張れ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8F4PZRUDs
>>
>>17630795
Texthookers work for the Neptunia games
>>
>>17631041
nice
>>
>>17631018
でっでーででっでーででっでーででんぽこぽこぽこ
>>
File: 655214.jpg (345KB, 1366x1093px) Image search: [Google]
655214.jpg
345KB, 1366x1093px
>>17631051
その調子
>>
The guides in the op are really useful, thanks to whoever took part in creating it
>>
>>17631071
はましょうのせいふく

そんなんじゃないよね
>>
Is it just me or does shinmoemanga have some pretty bad scans (if they're scans)? My memory might be playing tricks on me, but I remember scanlations as being better quality than the raws uploaded here.

I think I'll just go physical with everything, but I'd still like to ask: how is the quality on digital manga that's for sale on sites like honto?
>>
>>17631119
Most of them are digital rips, which are intentionally low quality so that pirates have to inconvenience themselves with scanners to get high quality copies.
>>
https://youtu.be/U4-NKxoWjpo
>>
My wife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtRMN_A-y5k
>>
I'm starting to notice a pattern I think. Would it be correct to say that most adjectives that end in い can be made into adverbs by changing it to く?
ex. 安い-->安く
Cheap --> Inexpensively
>>
>>17631549
Better submit that to a scientific journal before someone else notices
>>
>>17631549

Wouldn't it be easier to read up on some basic grammar instead of trying to figure it out on your own?
>>
>>17631549
Wow. Why did I never notice this?
>>
>>17631562
But I thought you were supposed to just completely go balls deep into reading before you even know what a kana is?
>>
>>17630675
The language in anime is broadly the same as what people speak in real life. The only "problem" is that it's scripted and professionally performed so the language is unnaturally perfect (you miss the lazy, slurring together of sounds, mumbling and mistakes that occur in real speech).

You can make the same complaint about any other form of media though, besides maybe shitty game shows and panel shows on TV which are a bit more improvised and one-take-only affairs, but even then people are going to be speaking with unnatural levels of care and formality since they're on TV rather than idly chatting with a friend or acquaintance and don't want come across as boorish and unsophisticated to the people watching.

In terms of helping you get used the patterns of grammar and the flow of sentences, anime is as good as other media.
>>
>>17631572
>he fell for the reading meme
Wale up.
>>
File: KLK_E2_1_0.07.42.802.jpg (28KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
KLK_E2_1_0.07.42.802.jpg
28KB, 768x432px
>>17630447
何 落ち着た声
出してんだ!
>Don't be so matter-of-fact about it!

is this a subs2srs error or am i totally missing something here?

isnt it rather something like:
>what? calming voice, get out there!
>>
>>17631651
声を出す
>>
>>17631603
obviously anime uses japanese therefore its valid as a form of input right but i only said it wont help you understand real people or help you interact with them really at all which is still the truth generally
>>
>>17631764
nothing you said after "input" reflects reality at all

stop watching dramas
>>
>>17631768
why do you talk about reflecting reality and then immediately imply something like you know me

stop projecting your bubble reality that you write in your head because thats not reality
>>
>>17631783
pretty sure you're the one projecting bud

stop watching dramas
>>
>>17631786
i mean youre just flaming me and not really offering any insight into anything to the contrary of what i said so stop posting/projecting prolly is the way to go for you
>>
>>17631790
dunno what you're talking about dude pretty sure i'm telling you you're spewing garbage

stop watching dramas
>>
You're both autistic.
>>
>>17631797
i mean if you wanna spam this thread im game to watch you do it
>>
File: 1498170017320.png (327KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
1498170017320.png
327KB, 500x259px
>長居
>長い
>>
File: fortune summoners.gif (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fortune summoners.gif
150KB, 640x480px
>>17630790
フォーチュンサモナーズ ~アルチェの精霊石~ is one of the best games for beginners/intermediates to Japanese since it has furigana for all of its written dialogue.
>>
>>17631803
pretty sure spewing garbage about japanese not being japanese just to be aggressive is spam by your standards

stop watching dramas
>>
>>17631816
? i didnt say that at all maybe you dont understand what understand means or maybe youre doing that thing that thing the kids talk about what was it oh yeah going "full retard"
>>
>>17631825
yeah you did when you said "it wont help you understand real people or help you interact with them really at all", in english that translates to "it's not japanese"

stop watching dramas
>>
>>17631830
but like it doesnt at all haha sorry for your poor ability to infer meaning i guess
>>
>>17631849
seems like you know english so badly that you say things you don't mean, thanks for proving your incredible ignorance
>>
>>17631855
usually people get aggressive because they dont understand something which seems to be the case here for you and im just standing my ground to see how long youll do this for
>>
>>17631865
no, pretty sure you can't pretend that what you say doesn't mean what it says
>>
>>17631872
i dont have to pretend because youre allowed to infer how you want but if youre gonna twist it and project aggressively at me then im gonna stiff arm you till you get tired of windmilling because i deal with kids like you all the time and its very easy
>>
>>17631892
let me illustrate what you did here, replacing your asinine comments about anime and japanese with something similar

"hello everyone this is my first post in this thread and I'd like you all to know that reading japanese light novels won't make you learn how to read written japanese"

this would only be true for a language learner if they weren't made in written japanese, so obviously you would be saying that japanese light novels aren't made in written japanese

substitute light novels for anime and written japanese for spoken anime and you will see the problem
>>
>>17631893
lol whoops that "spoken anime" should be "spoken japanese"

point remains valid
>>
All of this arguing about capability of interacting with real Japanese people sure would be a lot more relevant on /int/, not sure what this has to do with otaku !
>>
>>17631893
>>17631897
i mean just because you have what you want to believe there doesnt mean its reality also maybe you should take a second to breathe and proofread when youre writing up your posts in a fury like that

>>17631904
yeah i dont get why that guy wanted to fight so bad about it like he wrote a whole bunch of crap that didnt amount to anything
it was and will probably remain a large exercise in futility for him and as a very meager amount of entertainment for me
>>
>>17631932
dude when you come into the thread and argue with someone by saying something that's complete bullshit you can't expect not to get an argument as a result

there's nothing nonfictional about anime being fake japanese that doesn't prepare you for conversations or whatever, that's a personal fantasy
>>
any good resources/tools for writing Japanese? the only kanji that aren't two strokes i can write by memory are 歳 and 私, and it pisses me off.
there was something called a "boogie board" in the guide a few years ago, but i haven't really heard anything about it since. anyone used one before?
>>
>>17631947
pencil, paper, and kklc
>>
>>17631943
i never said its fake japanese get over it son i just said it wont help you understand people and this is because a lot of the sounds are gonna be foreign to you compared to what youre used to and do you know why that is? its very easy to understand and the the guy that originally replied to me before you jumped on me with your buttrage pretty much understood it but then i reiterated my intention to bait this exact scenario
>>
>>17631960
>it wont help you understand people
But it helped me understand people. Now what?
>>
>>17631960
hello everyone this is my first post in the thread and I would like to disagree with someone even though I'm wrong and what I'm saying is destructive, please don't disagree with me

>i never said its fake japanese
you said it right here

>it wont help you understand real people or help you interact with them really at all

this thing you said is only true if it's fake japanese, therefore you said the thing that it's fake japanese

just because you don't literally say a sequence of words doesn't mean you don't say the thing those words represent
>>
>>17631947
Learn radicals and a few dozen kanji. After that you'll be able to write pretty much any kanji you see with the correct stroke order just from intuition (there are handful of weird ones like 必, but those are rare exceptions).

Obviously though, to learn to write a specific kanji from memory requires specific practice of writing that kanji from memory, and just knowing how to write individual kanji when prompted by an English keyword as with KKLC, RTK, etc. does not equate to being able to write words (which requires you to remember the readings for the characters you're writing so you know which order they appear in or where the kanji ends and the okurigana begins).
>>
>>17631967
and then you got the rest of the way from interacting more with real people whether single or dual communication avenues is probably it? if you want to fight just prove your mettle now and save me a 20 reply chain like i have with this guy

>>17631970
hello congratulations on your first post here is your introductory djt starter pack a copy of the tyler kims best hits audio cd and a flash card starter deck a $19.99 value yours free
>>
>>17632003
very funny, now please explain how your statement reflects reality, then explain how, reflecting reality, it doesn't mean that anime is fake japanese

after all, you said that it doesn't *help* you understand real people or *help* you interact with them really *at all*

that's a very strong statement with very little room for misinterpretation, it places anime in exactly one place: not helping you acquire japanese in any capacity, because if it helped you acquire japanese even a little, it would help you understand real people or help you interact with them, at least a little

if it doesn't help you acquire japanese in any capacity, it's not japanese, so any such japanese anime can only be "fake japanese"

you should be able to solve this
>>
>>17632003
No, I don't interact with people. I just watch a youtube video or talk show here and there which makes it about 1% of my listening input. And when I do that, I have the same comprehension ability as when I am watching anime.
>>
>>17632006
i dont know why youre trying to force all or nothing here because you forgot when i said words like really and generally and thats because something identifiable might make it through to you but otherwise its the case of this guy which is where this all began >>17630464
>>
>>17632042
what you said was about an all or nothing situation dude, you can't pretend you didn't say what you said
>>
>>17632042
Single examples don't generalize.
>>
Something happened to kitsunekko and I can't find a way to download any subtitles from there. I want to watch Non Non Biyori with Japanese subtitles because I mostly understand what the girls are saying but not always, and referring to the English translation by HorribleSubs is just distracting as fuck in addition to not being very helpful if it happens to be a sentence where the amount of words I fail to pick up is multiple (possibly due to not knowing them); also, it seems poorly written. Please help.
>>
>>17632042
actually no you're right i shouldn't be so stubborn about the fact that you used "at all" and "help" as exremifiers because what you were intending to say was obvious the entire time

it's true that anime isn't 100% natural but that's true of everything that isn't just normal daily interactions
>>
>being such a newfag you get baited this hard
>>
>>17632095
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>17632097
My thoughts
>>
>>17632097
You, toss pot.
>>
nice on topic discussion
>>
>>17632050
i dont follow you. you can say something 'wont really help but you can still do it' and that just means maybe there will be some effect but youre not getting at the real issue by doing it in the eyes of the one who said that

>>17632046
>>17632081
should i just link you the davido video its a pretty reasonable illustration of the point

>>17632121
thanks you too
>>
>>17632079
Some kiddie defaced the site but you can still use it on archive.org. All the subtitle files are still live on the server.
>>
>>17632188
Thank you.
>>
>>17632079
There's a site called Animelon I found through some anon in one of these threads before. It has a whole integrated thing where you can watch Anime with the ability to look stuff up without leaving the video, and you can enable Japanese and/or English subtitles, or watch without any if you want. It has Non Non Biyori, as well as a good variety of other stuff.
>>
>>17632286
Man, learning Japanese has never been easier. It truly is the year of Our Lord 2017.
>>
>>17631312
cute
>>
>>17630690
-Make sure you're not blocking Japanesepod101

-Make sure you have the "Save audio when one of the real time import keys" option in the Anki tab of Rikai's settings is toggled

-Make sure the save path for the audio is the correct folder. Anki's storage was moved to be in "AppData/Roaming/Anki" by default in one of the recent updates.
>>
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E8%B5%B0%E3%82%8B%E3%83%BB%E5%A5%94%E3%82%8B%E3%83%BB%E8%B6%A8%E3%82%8B-358425
このが読む難しいですよ。私を手伝ってください。
>>
File: 1476171681767.jpg (352KB, 686x586px) Image search: [Google]
1476171681767.jpg
352KB, 686x586px
>>17630668
Come on, no one can help with this at all? It can't be THAT hard.
>>
>>17632752
走る = to run
奔る = to run [with urgency]
趨る = to run [a vehicle (operate)]
Also your この should be a これ。
>>
File: 1468441273751.jpg (27KB, 332x218px) Image search: [Google]
1468441273751.jpg
27KB, 332x218px
>>17630447
how the fuck do I memorise kanji
>>
>>17632797
Flashcards.
>>
>>17632188
>site exists purely for educational purposes and has little to no value
>some retard sees a vulnerability
>thinks it would be funny to shut the site down
why would anyone do this
>>
>>17632836

Why do people ever vandalize anything? It's because they derive pleasure and satisfaction from ruining things and from the attention it gets.
>>
>>17630752
Hey I just read that one too.

People should stop telling beginners to practice with manga. You're better off reading articles where you can access rikaisama. If you see words you don't know in manga it takes forever to look up the meaning. If it has kanji you don't know it's even worse, you have to draw it into google translate. It's extremely tedious and inefficient.
>>
File: yea.jpg (116KB, 1335x955px) Image search: [Google]
yea.jpg
116KB, 1335x955px
>>17632836
>>17632882
>>
>>17632947
if you go through hard times with a kanji and get stuck looking at it for 5 or maybe 10 minutes dont you think youre more likely to remember it in the future now that youve spent some quality time with it and have even drawn it

kids these days and their instant gratification
just use a machine translator and accept your fate as another half asser who never sees anything through truly in life
>>
>>17632969
I'm trying to learn japanese, not kanji. You learn a language by getting lots of comprehensible input, not slowly translating manga panels. Also, I'm surprised you're still here after having that mental breakdown last thread.
>>
>>17633001
well good luck with that but you should probably also stop reading manga because thats also slowing you down then i think when theres way faster avenues to get that nice input you want and need

also what mental breakdown
>>
>>17632754
>1) The なんてのも in the first clause, I'm not sure how to parse that. My best guess is that the の is acting like a noun like "one" or "thing", so the first part of the sentence would be something like "Although the magazine also advertised things like 'southern country tour guides', ..."
Yes.

>2) The そこはサタン様のこと、. I know what it means on its own, I'm just know sure what it adds to the sentence, or why it can be a comma-delimited clause by itself. I would think that there should at least be some particle after the こと.
It's like "when it comes to that Satan-sama". It's drawing attention to the distinction between his behaviour/actions and what would normally be expected.

>3) Which usage of と is being used in ...小麦色になるのが一番らくちんだと、含み笑いで... I don't think it can be "if", since the preceding clause is present tense and the following clause is past tense.
You're constraining yourself by trying to think about it in English. That pattern is natural in Japanese but there's no way of translating it into English without it sounding weird. Also, the preceding clause is future, not present.

だと = if it's the case (present)/if it would be the case (future)

I don't claim to be good at Japanese, but since everyone else was ignoring you I decided to try helping you. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me and answer your questions properly. In the future though, I don't think you should waste so much time thinking about a single sentence.
>>
>>17632947
Kanjitomo is pretty good for mangos. VNs are also usually suggested as reading practice since you can easily hook them and use rikai. You can also get LNs in browsers
>>
File: 1494968469047.jpg (172KB, 682x997px) Image search: [Google]
1494968469047.jpg
172KB, 682x997px
I'm about to finish hanahira.
People here always say you should read something that you really want to read, instead easy stuff.

I think I'll read monobeno next then.
Whats the difference between the 2 versions?
>>
File: 0.jpg (39KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
39KB, 640x480px
>lost motivation to do anki core because djt told me that it's a meme
>can't bring myself to read either
>>
まずうちさぁ・・・屋上・・・あんだけど
>>
>>17633148
Who are you quoting?
>>
麦茶をのみたいよ
>>
>>17633166
my life narrator
>>
>>17633148
you can read just read along with the narrator and let this be the reboot of your nihongo journey starting off right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU12Qrz8H1I
i guarantee by the end of this youll at least know what you just read and even pick up some new stuff!
>>
>>17632947
I think it's good when accessing kanji is made difficult. It forces you to remember them instead of relying on the dictionary. Also, you should only use J-J dictionaries.
>>
>>17633194

>Also, you should only use J-J dictionaries.

Nah, if you can't properly interpret the explanations there's not much point. You should use them whenever you can, but that you should "only" use them isn't practical advice.
>>
>>17633102
That's summarized on the vndb description page for -Happy End-. No reason to play the old version.
>>
>>17633205
Well, if you can't interpret them, then you can't learn Japanese (until you will interpret them). It's a crash course on the thought patterns of Japanese, so why not take it?
>>
>>17633076
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

>In the future though, I don't think you should waste so much time thinking about a single sentence.
I've been reading other things since I posted that, of course. But there have been too many times where I see a sentence I don't understand, can't figure it out, and just go "well I guess I'll read something else". I'm afraid I won't progress if I just stick to what I'm comfortable with, so at some point I have to drill down and make sure I really understand things.

I'm still having a little trouble wrapping my head around how a past tense verb can come after だと. Would it be alright to translate the だと in my sentence as "given that"? Is this like how I sometimes see the -たら form to mean "after" rather than "if"?
>>
>>17633226
Go read the HJGP entry for と.
>>
>>17633186
wow thanks anon very much
I feel silly for being so negative
>>
>>17633226
Formally speaking that だと is an abbreviation, as is common for this style. You can expand it with something like 〜思って, and then it will all make sense.
>>
>>17633235
Cool, I got it, and thanks for teaching me about the HJGP, I only knew about the DOJG before.
>>
File: パスワード.jpg (69KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
パスワード.jpg
69KB, 640x480px
Guys I am sorry to bother you, but an image board I visit time to time because of materials they make seem to have gone full xenophobia mode, and the content they host is now being hidden with some password, I don't actually know japanese but it was fairly easy to obtain before, but now.....

THIS IMAGE, anyone can make sense of it? I think is a riddle of some sort.
>>
Does the updated DoJG deck still have the scan images for explanations, or have those been removed? I lost mine but I want as few typos as possible and don't mind having scan images that make the deck filesize larger.
>>
>>17633294
password is Morimoto's partner's first name in Hepburn-style romaji.
>>
>>17633219

Because arbitrarily limiting your available resources is counterproductive and solely relying on one which you don't fully grasp is likely to do more harm than good. Relying too much on English is not advisable in the long run, but making no use of it at all is a huge waste as well. There's no sense in doing everything the hard way just for the sake of it, especially when you already have the knowledge of an entire language which you can make use of.

Both J-E and J-J dictionaries are readily available and perusable at will, so it goes without saying that one should make use of both and combine their information to get the most accurate and easily grasped picture, at least up until they can properly rely on the latter.
>>
>>17633303
>>17633294
I mean Matsumoto
>>
>>17633295
Still has them.
>>
>>17633317
but which mattymoto dude
>>
>>17633327
outto
>>
>>17633327
So written how? 松本 did not work.
>>
>>17632685
Late reply but thanks. I had forgotten to tick "Save audio when one of the real time import keys"
>>
また北朝鮮がサイルをの発射したんやけど無事に通過したわ・・・
>>
>>17633335
i like that guy
>>
>>17633345
Shit that's true
One day it won't 通過 only anymore
>>
>>17633341
Read >>17633303 again and then try googling 松本
>>
>>17633304
Can't argue with that. My post was intended as a call to study J-J dictionaries more, said in a provocative way that made it easy to attack and take down logically, so it being djt, the opportunity was immediately taken. Since we both agree that J-E, though essential at first, will hold you back without J-J, the common ground is reached.
>>
>>17633354
The only reason NK would hit Japan is if someone struck them first. The whole reason the Kim dynasty has been so desperate for ICBMs and nukes is as insurance to avoid going the way of Saddam Hussein. Striking a US ally would ensure that they went the way of Saddam Hussein, so it would make no sense whatsoever for them to do it unless they were already under imminent threat of attack and thus had nothing to lose.

NK doesn't want a NATO invasion and NATO doesn't want ICBMs and nuclear warheads flying their way, so neither side will do anything. It's all just posturing.
>>
>>17632947
Try reading a VN with a texthooker feeding the text into Firefox. Check the resources guide for instructions.
>>
にほん空爆されてるんだけど

にほんじんなにもできない
>>
>>17633407
This is the boring answer for people who want to see a good war on TV, but it's true. Kim has said as much, he just wants his little regime to be left alone. The only way we'll see a real war is if someone makes a mistake, like if one of NK's missiles crashes into Japan by accident.
>>
>>17633194
>>17633473
Appreciate these responses, I will do both. Thanks.
>>
>>17633529
にほんの弾道弾はどうしたんだ
>>
>>17633569
It's very easy to abuse Rikaisama and Yomichan when doing the VN+texthooker method. It can be tempting, but try to avoid just automatically hovering over every word single. Try to read a word first, then hover over it if you really don't know what it is or if you want to check that you got it right.

Also, when you do have to hover over a word, don't just look straight to the kana in the Rikaisama/Yomichan pop-up and move on. Take note of which kanji the word is written with.
>>
>>17633590
amazonプライムで

かったのがあるとおもうよ
>>
>>17633612
Thanks for the tips. By the way, it it bad if I'm translating the text to english in my head as I read? Should there be a direct translation to the idea?
>>
>>17633656
Not either of them, but "translating in your head" should only really be a thing at the beginning stage when that's all you can do and you don't understand the grammar at an intuitive level yet. The goal is to get to the point where you understand the Japanese as Japanese rather than as Japanese translated into English, and the translating in the beginning stages are more just training wheels while you get used to the language. That kinda gets into the "don't think, feeel" shit that people meme, but there's truth to it.
>>
>>17633656
if you learn baby shit you can have at least an infantile way to break things down in japanese as opposed to translating to english which is really not a good idea a fairly high amount of the time because people tend to try and translate nearly every word and screw up the japanese way to verbalize concepts in the process
>>
たいふうがきてるし

こうげきされたし

日本軍どうするんだろ
>>
>>17633789
get wild and tough
>>
しゅしょうが

「戦争準備せよ」っぽいこと言ってる
>>
台風を攻撃するつもりか
>>
>>17633848
ついにガンダムが出撃するかもしれない
>>
>>17633871
それまだあるのか
>>
この「存在」ってことはずいぶん不愉快ですね
>>
File: item_0000001657_01.jpg (101KB, 298x500px) Image search: [Google]
item_0000001657_01.jpg
101KB, 298x500px
>>17633897
ゼオライマーもだせるとおもう
>>
File: 7305965834_c3177667b9_b.jpg (38KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
7305965834_c3177667b9_b.jpg
38KB, 450x450px
>>17633908
おじょうさまも

しゅつげきするとおもう
>>
>>17633924
Is that some fireball charming? I loved that series. Super cute.
>>
>>17633931
せんそうになったら

おじょうさまの新作もなくなるよ

文句は

中国とロシアと朝鮮に言ってね
>>
攻撃の分だけ防衛は頑丈
>>
>>17630447
So I started learning in preparation for a temporary emigration to Japan. I made a post requesting penpals in Japan and I got swamped with about 15 to 20 people wanting to talk to me and they're all women except one.

Now, I'm not dumb enough to think this is a romantic thing (although I am a good looking guy), but I was hoping to talk to some bros. Does anyone know where to meet Japanese guys?

ありがとうございます。
>>
>>17633998

The leather club's two blocks down
>>
アウト
ゲット アウト
ゲット ザ ファック アウト
>>
>>17633998
やらないか?
>>
>>17634026
>>17634013
おいお、わたしの夢の女のこはヤンキでも、わたしはゲイでわない!

わたしは日本語の初心者で、間違っていたら直してください。
>>
>>17634070
でも should have been だけど, right? I was trying to make a joke of it.
>>
If I want to copy text from an html file that has furigana, but want to get rid of the furigana, is there a solution to this besides manually going through the copied text and deleting all the furigana?
>>
File: 89348934893.png (55KB, 1566x766px) Image search: [Google]
89348934893.png
55KB, 1566x766px
My Epwing dictionary randomly stopped working and I have no idea why. I swear I had it working before, does anyone know how to fix this?

"Please add an EPWING dictionary in the EPWING tab of the options dialogue."
>>
>>17634165
なんでがめんまっくろ?

くろがおすきなの
>>
>>17634014
Sorry anonjin, I don't know who Otto is.
>>
イグノーベル賞がまた日本に

わけがわからないよ
>>
what dictionary do you use when you want to search for the word's etymology?
>>
/djt/ you'll be pleased to know that I have now mastered the art of "XとYの違い" and will no longer be asking you questions. Fuck you.
>>
>>17634530
next time we will endeavour to read your mind and anticipate your needs
申し訳ない
>>
>>17633102
Good luck. Post progress reports when you finish a route or drop it.
>>
Would reading Twitter be any good for practice? Any interesting Jap twitter users?
>>
>>17634734
>Any interesting Jap twitter users?
https://twitter.com/batou_kata
>>
彼氏のちんちんが小さすぎて満足できない
>>
File: FB_IMG_1505446777935.jpg (35KB, 720x811px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1505446777935.jpg
35KB, 720x811px
Keep up the good work anons
>>
>>17634804
分かるなぁ、俺の彼氏と同じっすよ
>>
>>17634804
>>17634857
fags
>>
File: 1501991724632.png (234KB, 329x437px) Image search: [Google]
1501991724632.png
234KB, 329x437px
>>17634819
でてけ
>>
たまごたべたい
>>
File: example sentences.jpg (69KB, 407x357px) Image search: [Google]
example sentences.jpg
69KB, 407x357px
>>
>>17634996

What?
>>
>>17634999
He is approaching death.
He is starting to die.
He is dying.
>>
>>17634996
seems like it's your own fault for not understanding the grammar of the sentence and looking up the wrong thing.
>>
>>17635015

Yep, those sure are three ways to say someone is about to die or has begun dying. "He is starting to die" sounds a bit unnatural but can work depending on the context.

What are you trying to say anon
>>
>>17635026
Bzrt, you're fucking wrong despite being a smug cock-sucker that likes to lecture people.
http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/にかけては
As you can see, this very page gives the proper explanation for the grammar (when it comes to; concerning (an area of expertise)), but has these three example sentences nonetheless. You are wrong. Fucking wrong. Eat shit, loser. There's no way out of this and no worming your way out of it through arguing. You're just objectively wrong. Suck on a goddamn dick and choke on it. Never lecture people on DJT again, you piece of goddamn garbage.
>>17635035
mfw I just thought it was funny how all the example sentences coincidentally talked about death in different ways
>>
よおおぉし!やる気にあふれているで!
今日もええ仕事しまっせー
>>
>>17635078
>You are wrong. Fucking wrong. Eat shit, loser. There's no way out of this and no worming your way out of it through arguing. You're just objectively wrong. Suck on a goddamn dick and choke on it. Never lecture people on DJT again, you piece of goddamn garbage.
r u ok
>>
>>17635105
It's a rare opportunity that a "smug DJT fuck" as they're called slips up and says something thoroughly wrong to the extent that they can't worm their way out of it with whiny argumentation. I wanted to use it this opportunity to the fullest to really beat him down. Maybe he won't ever post here again out of shame, if we're lucky.
>>
>>17634996
そのいみだと

He is あぴありんぐ death.

のほうだとおもうよ
>>
File: DJqBvftVwAAFI7J.jpg:orig.jpg (6KB, 196x180px) Image search: [Google]
DJqBvftVwAAFI7J.jpg:orig.jpg
6KB, 196x180px
>>
File: cover.jpg (304KB, 1368x1408px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
304KB, 1368x1408px
>回す
>輪姦する
>>
ヘッドセットふっかつしたー

ありがとうおにいちゃん
>>
File: 1497585412401.jpg (232KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1497585412401.jpg
232KB, 1920x1080px
勉強 pro-tip: Fap in Japanese.

https://djtguide.neocities.org/resource%20guide.html#Visual%20Novels
https://vndb.org/v/all?q=&fil=tag_inc-214.tagspoil-0.olang-ja&rfil=&s=title&o=a
>>
まえのヘッドセットより

コードがすごくみじかい

ちょっとやばい
>>
I kind of feel like a retard for failing to remember that 慎 has the onyomi of しん even though both 心 and 真, its components, can be read しん。
>>
File: jpg.bmp.gif.webm.png (643KB, 520x520px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.bmp.gif.webm.png
643KB, 520x520px
COMPELLING CONTENT
>>
I memorized all the jouyou kanji. Can I speak Japanese now?
>>
>>17635401
あめのなかかさをささずにおどるにんげんがいてもいい
>>
Does anyone else find Yomichan to be really slow and unresponsive at times?

Sometimes it works almost as well as Rikaisama, but equally often it seems to have delays of several seconds when hovering over a word.
>>
>>17635435
Just switch to Firefox
>>
>>17635464
I'm on Firefox already, but since Rikaisama won't work for much longer, I decided to switch to Yomichan in advance so that I can get used to using it.

I had a few gripes with it at the beginning, but I've pretty much got used to all the ways it's different from Rikaisama now. The only thing that still bothers me is the unresponsiveness it often seems have.
>>
>>17635364
Forgetting things is natural.
On a side-note, question for everyone.

I'm dimly aware that many kanji are split into two halves, one for sound and one for meaning (roughly). I've currently been steadfastly ignoring this and just remembering the readings/meanings as they come.

Is it at all useful or worth it to remember the thing about halves of kanji?
>>
>>17635418
Why would you want to dance in the rain without an umbrella, though?
>>
>>17635524
>Is it at all useful or worth it to remember the thing about halves of kanji?
There's nothing to really "remember" about "halves." When you see a kanji you take the whole character into account, right? The only thing to "remember" is this:
The smaller half gives you a rough ballpark idea of the kanji's concept while the other half tries to specify the meaning and/or reading. This is not always true though.

位 for example has person on the left for the ballpark idea of what it's about: people. Then on the left you have "stand/rise," which can be interpreted as "standing." While this is a rare case of a kanji making sense with very little extra thought put in, the idea of a "person's standing" equating to its meaning (it means "rank") it's not the norm.
液 has the water on the left but the 夜 on the right doesn't have anything to do with its reading and doesn't add much meaning to make it mean "liquid."
And lastly you have ones like 観 which I personally don't find any meaning in neither the radical nor the phonetic compound. The best I have is that 見 can be read けん so if you change it a little to かん then you have the reading for 観.

In short:
There's not much to really "think" about once you know kanji just give you a clue into the concept and then either specifies or gives you a phonetic hint. Nothing you need to actively keep in mind.
>>
>>17635524
Sometimes you can guess a kanji's reading based on its radicals, but to be sure about it you have to have the readings memorized. It's more of a funny thing that works sometimes than it is a technique you should rely on.
>>
>>17635563
>>17635564
Ah, well - kind of what I expected, unfortunately. I'm not the type to look for magic keys that will let me instantly understand a kanji without studying it, so this isn't a big deal, but at least it's one more little trick for the toolbelt. Thanks weebs.
>>
>>17635601
>Thanks weebs.
なんて生意気なやつやな、お前
>>
>>17635105
he just really wanted to believe that was me or something i think
>>
キングコンガできもちわるくなった

リズム酔い?
>>
>study another language in classroom setting
>there's no compelling content
>we spend the class discussing easy grammar that could be easily internalized by READ MORE
>then we need to produce sentences
Thank god I have Japanese and you guys.
>>
>>17635668
キングコンガ音痴みたい
それにしても諦めないで
>>
ちょっとできないかも

スケルトンとかドラゴンにとびこんでしぬー
>>
>>17635601
radicals are useful for learning kanji. sometimes they intuitively suggest meaning and pronunciation, sometimes just meaning, more often they're just vague clues. however, I find that being familiar with the basic set of radicals helps you process and remember the characters.
>>
How many kanji compounds do you guys have in your mining decks?
>>
File: -_-.jpg (40KB, 575x611px) Image search: [Google]
-_-.jpg
40KB, 575x611px
>>17635880
そんなもの知らん
>>
>>17634889
だめ!
>>
>>17635263
What goes around cums around.
>>
File: 1497541741889.jpg (205KB, 640x543px) Image search: [Google]
1497541741889.jpg
205KB, 640x543px
Is it just me or are there excessively many pointless words in Japanese for things that in other languages would've just been expressed with a few other words? Things like 氷塊, which is just a "lump of ice", but instead they made an entirely new word for it.
>>
>>17635998
>pointless words
No such thing.
>>
File: amzon.jpg (46KB, 412x500px) Image search: [Google]
amzon.jpg
46KB, 412x500px
あの声優が読むあの名作 - Highlights from various classic novels read aloud by anime seiyuu. mp3

https://mega.nz/#!sI4QAIhK!ku823JWFgReJ9iVlQj3M2aEIk6lmczYunzo8irf-CFo
>>
>>17635998
嫌中憎韓
嫌韓
眼球舐め
邯鄲の歩み
轍鮒
仏倒し
蛙の面に小便
プリン頭
畑水練
辻斬り
壷洗い
盗伐
斬り捨て御免
切り得
取り殺す
五分試し
厭魅
矯角殺牛
四当五落
天下り
屍山血河
八つ裂き
不可説不可説転
>>
>>17635998

氷塊 is literally ice + lump, how is it in any way different from saying "lump of ice" in English? What exactly should they say instead?

Are you high anon
>>
>>17636031
Some of those are pretty funny, I've got to say.
>>
>>17635998
こおりのかたまり is a mouthful, while ひょうかい is short and sweet. There's a reason why onyomi compounds caught on in Japanase.
>>
Is there a way to select what word I want to mine when I hover over a string of kanji or hiragana with Rikaisama?
As we all know, there are a lot of different words in japanese that are pronounced the same or written the same, and Rikaisama lists those pretty exhaustively.
Is there a way to select one instead of always mining the one at the top?
I have heard that there was a version of the plugin that let you select what you wanted but it got abandoned or lost, IIRC.
Can anyone help me out?
>>
File: Capture.png (9KB, 267x88px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
9KB, 267x88px
can someone help me by typing out the text for my picture?

im trying to solve a capture to register for something but don't know japanese well enough
>>
File: 768px-Table_hiragana.svg.png (78KB, 768x464px) Image search: [Google]
768px-Table_hiragana.svg.png
78KB, 768x464px
>>17636204
>>
Try harder in figuring it out, it's not that difficult.
へむおらえふ
>>
>>17636196
The fork with that feature is
https://github.com/txgio/orikaisama

Personally I just make the card manually when necessary.
>>
>>17636204
hemu ora efu

kana are not difficult to learn, there's no reason not to master them.
>>
>>17636204
he mu o ra e fu
>>
>>17636229
I'm a lazy cunt though and the cards I make look like ass, even compared to what Rikaisama generates.
Thanks.
>>
I envy people who have learnt Japanese. I can't even learn English. I have been at it for twenty years and I still come across a cromulent word I didn't know before every other day. This week it was "elation" and "kerfuffle".
>>
>>17636359
I was about to say your english was fine but "elation" is a very common word. "kerfuffle" is not that common anymore but any native speaker with a basic education would recognize it.
>>
>>17636359

Native English speakers don't recognize every English word, nor is it a realistic goal to aim for with any language.
>>
>>17636359
Even assuming "fluency" meant "knowing every single word in the language" then English would probably be one of the most difficult languages to learn because of the massive total amount of words it has in its vocabulary.
>>
File: 1497749608660.jpg (53KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497749608660.jpg
53KB, 848x480px
Reminder.

Same goes for Rikaidrones.
>>
File: 1343063942848.png (280KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1343063942848.png
280KB, 640x480px
>>17636461
>that blocky font
>>
>>17636493
I can read it just fine. It's not particularly pretty but it's nowhere near bad enough to be unreadable.
>>
>>17636461
They're archaic sina runes anyways, get on with the time くそじじ
>>
Sup guys. Just ported my japanese app to iPhone. Here's five free codes if people want to try it out.

https://pastebin.com/J1e4ZFuK
>>
>>17636367
I think "kerfuffle" has a bit of an onomatopoeic aspect to it, so with a little context you can easily figure out what it means. The same goes for a lot of Japanese onomatopoeia, even metaphorical or indirect ones.
>>
File: 1489928587944.png (90KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1489928587944.png
90KB, 500x500px
http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/how-to-use-a-japanese-textbook/
>Skip the vocabulary lists; a list of words out of context (outside of a sentence) is nearly useless to you. Go straight for the dialogues and example sentences. Copy those into your SRS. If you work efficiently, you can mine a typical textbook in its entirety, over like 3 – 4 hours of actual working time, perhaps more, perhaps less.

Has anyone actually done this? Did you have any success with it or was it just a waste of time?

I'm past the point where there would be any point in me doing this with Genki or Tae Kim's guide, but I was thinking of doing if for the HJGP. It would be a gargantuan undertaking to mine however many thousand example sentences are probably in that book though so if it's pointless then it would amount to a massive waste of time.
>>
>>17636662
I skipped the list entirely. There's no point in SRSing anything from a textbook.
>>
File: 1485428866942.png (334KB, 880x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485428866942.png
334KB, 880x720px
Why do the Japanese need Kanji when they can communicate verbally just fine?
>>
>>17636671
Why does any written language exist when we can just communicate verbally? Seems a little pointless.
>>
>>17636687
The point is they could just exclusively use Kana instead
>>
File: file.png (57KB, 800x1144px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
57KB, 800x1144px
>>17636662
>It would be a gargantuan undertaking to mine however many thousand example sentences are probably in that book though so if it's pointless then it would amount to a massive waste of time.

If you're using modern OCR the accuracy will be good enough that you just have to check it for mistakes on each sentence. If you're doing this one "card" at a time, it won't be too much work on a day to day basis, but it'll still take a while since there's so many example sentences in HJGP.

1) Download Tesseract 4 and extract it somewhere under your user directory. (your documents, desktop, etc)

https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract/wiki/4.0-with-LSTM

"zip file with cppan generated .dll and .exe files"

2) Install Imagemagick. Use the installer.

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php

ImageMagick-7.0.7-2-Q16-x64-dll.exe

3) Install ShareX.

4) What we're going to do is add extra hotkeys to ShareX that run a program that invokes imagemagick on a screenshot, sends it to tesseract, and copies tesseract's output to the clipboard. ShareX can't run shell scripts, so you'll have to use a separate program to invoke those programs. Here's mine:

https://a.safe.moe/JY7Ew.zip

My hotkey in ShareX is configured something like picture related. I have separate hotkeys for vertical and horizontal text. If you're OCRing HJGP in particular you're going to want two horizontal hotkeys, one that prioritizes English only and one that prioritizes Japanese over English, by giving ocr.exe different scripts.
>>
>>17636706
The lack of spaces makes it awkward to read.

With speech, you get audible cues as to which words are being used and where words end and begin in the form of intonation and so on. Even homophones are distinguished in speech via different pitch accents (there's a dorama called Trick where this becomes an important plot point in one of the episodes). Kanji performs these functions in writing.
>>
>>17636731
>dorama
What's that?
>>
>>17636706
anDweCouLdjUstWriTeeNglIshLikEthIsaNdstIllGetTheMesSagEacRosSevEnifItbeComEsaHugEpaIntoReaD

You can much easier understand from context in spoken form when there's tone of voice and the pitch accent, neither of which exists in text.
>>
>>17636737
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_television_drama

>Japanese television drama (テレビドラマ terebi dorama, television drama), also called dorama (ドラマ), are television programs that are a staple of Japanese television and are broadcast daily.
>>
>>17636741
Why did you insert a random Japanese word into your English post?
>>
>>17636706

But Japanese would be even harder if it was kana-only, only beginners think otherwise.
>>
>>17636709
Thanks for the advice, but it looks like that ShareX program is only available on Windows, so I'm not able to use it.
>>
>>17636745
Why do you say "anime" instead of "cartoon"?
>>
>>17636755
If you're on a unix-like OS you can bypass most of the complexity there, including the .exe in the safe.moe link. Look up how to make a global hotkey that takes a screenshot on your OS. You'll still want config.txt though (tesseract 4 will insert spaces, invent characters, and drop lines without it), and ocr.txt as a basis for your script.
>>
>>17636763
Anime is a shortening of "animation", and is pronounced as such. You don't say アニメ when you read "anime", you say ænime or ɛʌnime.

"Dorama" is insane. It's not an English word. You don't say "bideo geemu" or "bijuaru noberu". Why would you say "dorama"? If you wanted to use the Japanese word with some kind of sincerity you would have written ドラマ. "Dorama" isn't English, and there's nothing more especially Japanese about dramas than there is about anything else.

You're not loaning a word from Japanese into English, you're just spelling an English word the way it's pronounced in Japanese, with English text, not Japanese text. It's toxic exoticism. It's systematically responsible for Japanese live action television not being taken seriously among critics abroad.
>>
>>17636229
>rikai-kun
>rikai-sama
>orikai-sama
Where does it go from here?
>>
>>17636781
Kisama
>>
>>17636731
>>17636740
>remove Kanji
>add space
Do I deserve a nobel prize for this groundbreaking suggestion?
>>
>>17636781
rikai-chama
>>
>>17636774
>Anime is a shortening of "animation", and is pronounced as such. You don't say アニメ when you read "anime", you say ænime or ɛʌnime.
What about "manga" and "comics" then?

>If you wanted to use the Japanese word with some kind of sincerity you would have written ドラマ.
Romaji is a valid writing system for Japanese, even if it's seldom actually used. I can't be fucked with switching my keyboard for the sake of typing one word. Stop being a sperg.

>You're not loaning a word from Japanese into English, you're just spelling an English word the way it's pronounced in Japanese
"dorama" does not translate to "drama", so no I'm not.

>It's toxic exoticism. It's systematically responsible for Japanese live action television not being taken seriously among critics abroad.
You can't be serious...
>>
りかい殿
りかい侯
りかい公
りかいの君
りかい陛下
>>
>>17636797
theres no reason to get rid of kanji and using kana only would not only lead to confusion in a lot of things but your eyes then have to cover way more real estate to take in the same amount of information
>>
>>17636774
>It's systematically responsible for Japanese live action television not being taken seriously among critics abroad
???????????
>>
>>17636797
It's too late for that. Over a thousand years of Japanese literature and written documents would become unreadable by the next generation of Japanese were kanji to be eliminated now.
>>
>>17636746
What if they used spaces like normal peoples?
>>
>>17636830
Good.
>>
>>17636808
>What about "manga" and "comics" then?
"Manga" is a loan word. It's pronounced on the basis of English pronunciation, and has a meaning different than what マンガ means in Japanese. Manga also doesn't literally mean the same thing as "comic". Manga is just another one of the bajillion words English has for art panel stories, some of which, like comic, are loans from other languages the same way as "manga" is.

>Romaji is a valid writing system for Japanese
Do you see people writing novels in Romaji?

>"dorama" does not translate to "drama"
Yes, it does, actually. 1:1. "Drama" translates exactly to ドラマ. ドラマ translates exactly to "drama". By your own admission that you wrote a Japanese word in "romaji", "dorama", i.e. ドラマ, is the same thing as "drama".

>You can't be serious...
Go look for reviews of dubbed Japanese dramas on western television criticism outlets.
>>
>>17636827
welcome to the harsh world of reality where your opinions have consequences

exoticism is evil
>>
>>17636831
? spaces are used in kana only text
>>
>>17636832
no, not good.

besides, there are many other reasons to retain kanji, such as differentiating between words that sound the same, conserving space, overall swag, etc.

like it or not, stuff gets established in society and it's generally not easy to make drastic changes. if it were, then we could all switch to speaking Esperanto as a more logical language, but we don't.
>>
>>17636831

They already do that in old games for example, and such text is far more annoying to read than text with kanji.

I know having to deal with them is rough at first, but you'll come to appreciate their existence eventually.
>>
>>17636865
this too. kanji anchors the text and gives it structure. kana only might seem simpler at first glance, but it's more taxing to read.
>>
>>17636833
>"Manga" is a loan word.
How convenient.

>Yes, it does
Learn English.

>Do you see people writing novels in Romaji?
Do you see me writing a novel?

>Go look for reviews of dubbed Japanese dramas on western television criticism outlets.
So me writing dorama in romaji instead of katakana is single-handedly responsible for Western critics not being interested in Japanese TV shows, the same way that they aren't interested in Chinese, Indian, Russian, Egyptian and Brazillian TV shows?

dorama
>>
>>17636879
>How convenient.
When the truth is convenient for me and not you, that means you're doing something wrong.

>Learn English.
I know more about English than you even realize is possible to know.

>Do you see me writing a novel?
This isn't about you. This is about the creators of Japanese media.

>So me writing dorama in romaji instead of katakana is single-handedly responsible for Western critics not being interested in Japanese TV shows,
You forgot the part where you inserted a random Japanese word into an English post for the purpose of emphasizing the fact that it's an exotic thing, valued for being exotic. The disdainful cultural alienation that Japanese media is analyzed from (lol Japan is making such perverted games! etc.) is nothing but bad for Japanese creators that try to bring their works west, because the media can't be marketed on its own merits. "Dorama" perpetuates one small part of this.

>the same way that they aren't interested in Chinese, Indian, Russian, Egyptian and Brazillian TV shows?
The ones that actually get brought over have lasting success inversely proportional to how exotic they were perceived. Look at the western version of Macross, which was seen as so unexotic at the time that the localization production company forgot they didn't own the rights to it.
>>
>>17636897
His use the word "dorama" is correct because he is a native English speakers and natives don't make mistakes.
>>
things i enjoy: doramas and baldr sky dive
>>
>>17636671
What's the point of the current complicated English spelling when a phonetic one can be devised? Oh, you don't want that? The current system works just fine for all but the retards? Figures.
>>
>>17637044
but see english is the official language of the world
>>
>>17637059
The fact that it is is so stupid. It should have been a proper Indo-European language with case and gender on all nominals.
>>
This language is completely sublime. Hearing it spoken is so comfy and it looks beautiful written. I'm not sure why, but I just started to feel so this week after studying for the last four months. Does anyone else feel the same?
>>
>>17637093
Nah, it's overly complicated, relies too heavily on Chinese characters for specific uses, and tries too hard to compensate for non native words through imitation rather than direct consumption.
>>
>>17637093
Nah, sorry. It's always felt very utilitarian to me, and yet its inherent vagueness and context-dependence works against that purpose, creating an odd tension. I think English is far more beautiful.
>>
>>17637044
Joke's on you, English used to be phonetic.

>Oh, you don't want that?
Says who exactly? I'd be down for that. A shitton of languages could use some modernization, English included.

>The current system works just fine for all but the retards?
I fail to see how making a language considerably harder to learn for the sake of tradition and customs benefits anyone in any way, especially in the era of globalization. Of course I like Japanese in its current state as well as its history, but from a technical standpoint Japanese is dumb as shit
>>
File: 敬語table.jpg (223KB, 1404x1404px) Image search: [Google]
敬語table.jpg
223KB, 1404x1404px
>>17637106
>it's overly complicated
Now who would ever say that.
>>
>>17636948
He didn't say anything about correctness, dumbass.
>>
>>17636948
Oh and
>he is a native English speakers
>>
>>17637125
>I fail to see how making a language considerably harder to learn
False premise. The only thing kanji makes harder is avoiding bad learning material like RTK. There's nothing harder about learning words written in kanji than learning words written in phonetic script. In fact, once you get outside of the most common 500 or so 大和言葉, kanji make words much much easier to learn due to extensive homophony, especially with しょう, せい, かん, etc sounds.
>>
File: honorific-language.png (161KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
honorific-language.png
161KB, 800x800px
>>17637130
GOOD LUCK REMEMBERING THE CORRECT WORDS WITH THE PROPER SOCIAL CONTEXT MOTHERFUCKER HA HA HA HAAAA!!!
>>
>>17637125

It makes the language harder to learn but a hundred times easier to actually use and read you dummy. As has been said kana-only text with spaces already exists, and it fucking sucks.
>>
File: 1498423445555.png (128KB, 304x369px) Image search: [Google]
1498423445555.png
128KB, 304x369px
>>17637146
Hot take: it makes the language easier to learn because you learn languages by reading and it makes reading so much easier.
>>
>>17637146
Do native speakers think it sucks though?
>>
>>17637164
Not since computers obsoleted regular handwriting.
>>
>>17637143
the problem is thinking of it as a flowchart where you have to pick something and make decisions

people do whats in that chart unconsciously every second of every day with the english language
>>
>>17637160
I'll take your hot shit take and throw it right back in your face and remind you that language written in books tends to be written in a way to be easily conveyed through literature and doesn't necessarily convey how it is used in actual conversation. Take fucking keigo for example >>17637143 >>17637130 and don't say that you'll never need to learn it because it only comes up in certain situations because it basically shuts you out from those specific situations if you didn't learn it. You will only actually get better at a language by repetition and use and not just reading it from a book.
>>
>>17637160

Well, it makes the initial hurdle steeper is what I mean. Once you're past that it makes it easier for certain.

>>17637164

It makes text more difficult and annoying to read which is why nobody does it even though they 100% could if they wanted to. It's not really a matter of nativity, it's just a choice between better readability and worse readability.
>>
>>17637053
The commenter is saddened by the notes posted at Ouji Station (Tokyo Metro) and attached to the tweet.
The two handwritten notes are by girls, addressed to their mom:
>How are you, mom? Please call!
The printed notice is by the station master, and it reads:
>For the sake of the station building, notices cannot be pasted without a permit. Since many people use the station, we can't just accept one customer's request. However, feeling for these girls, we have hesitated to remove the notes. We will be removing them soon. May they get in touch.

>躊躇
Saved.
>>
>>17637182
Reading it from a book is exactly that repetition. It's true that you need multiple sources of input, but input is the only thing that actually causes acquisition to take place, and reading is the easiest/most convenient one. There are very few people in the modern age who have become fluent in a foreign language without forced life-changing immersion (e.g. moving to sub-asian country X and having to live daily life there, with almost no speakers of your native language there) or extensive reading.
>>
>>17637125
English can never be phonetic again, unless we force every single dialect in the anglosphere to use their own unique spellings. You would probably have to switch to that funny alphabet they use in pronunciation guides as well, in order to capture all the sounds that are merged or unrepresented in English spelling.
>>
>>17637201
Or you could just update it to the point where American and British English split apart, in the late 1600s. English spelling goes much much further into the past than that.
>>
>>17637180
Except that English doesn't have a separate way of speaking to indicate politeness past using "sir or madam" and remembering to include please, thank you, or I'm sorry. It would be the equivalent of using English from the past century in present day conversation "Sire wil'st thou prefer an addition portion of frittered potatoe to accompany thine hammedburger?"
>>
>>17636781
Yomichan
>>
>>17637146
>>17637160
i know the thing about ideograms conveying an idea "faster" than words but if you mix letters in an english word you still can read it conclusion words works as ideograms themselves, and you can read most of them at a younger age and can practice with them longer, even technical difficult word can be apprehended quite easily
>>
>>17637208
but it does youre just not even aware of it thats how unconscious it really is

a waitress doesnt ask you something like "what do you want" they ask you something like "what would you like to order"
>>
>>17637208
My humble appreciation for your post extends no further than the fury behind the tips of my fingers. It does not suit the worldly situation to perpetuate such vile lore that the English language has no permanent formal registers; rather, it begets the difference between formality conventions that are codified, and those that have been lain by the wayside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King's_English

>The King's English is less like a dictionary than Modern English Usage; it consists of longer articles on more general topics such as vocabulary, syntax and punctuation, and draws heavily on examples from many sources throughout. One of its sections is a systematic description of the appropriate uses of shall and will.
>>
Stop procastrinating with bullshit and start studying, the language isn't gonna change anywhere no matter how much you whine about it.

You either gotta deal with how it is in its current state or quit.
>>
>>17637208
Even English has registers, it's just that the borders are murkier and the difference is more along vocabulary and pronunciation-oriented, and less about grammar. You won't talk to the customer out front the same way you would talk to your coworker or to your boss in the back office.
For grammar-oriented differences outside Japanese, consider the way a lot of European languages use second person plural to refer to individuals when they're distant or higher in status.
>>
>>17637225
you can also just procrastinate and whine for a while and then begrudgingly do your flashcards :^) thats the great thing about life its all one big grey area where you dont have to be limited to binary choices unless you choose to be
>>
>>17637217
Yes there are ways to indicate politeness and formality with English but it doesn't take an entirely different vocabulary to do so, let alone two or more of them depending on the situation.
>>17637219
>My humble appreciation for your poſt extendſ no further than the fury behind the tipſ of my fingerſ. It doeſ not ſuit the worldly ſituation to perpetuate ſuch vile lore that the Engliſh language haſ no permanent formal regiſterſ; rather, it begetſ the difference between formality conventionſ that are codified, and those that have been lain by the wayſide.
Fixed for accuracy.
>>
>>17637240
The long s was not used at the ends of words.
>>
>>17637246
And people don't speak like that on a daily basis unless to prove a point of how obtuse and archaic something is, except in Japan where knowing keigo is an absolute necessity.
>>
>>17637250
People speak like that in court all the time, and the simplified formal speech used by customer service workers is genetically related.
>>
File: file.png (159KB, 639x905px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
159KB, 639x905px
>>17637254
don't forget about announcements
>>
>>17637225
I guess calling other anons out on their studying habits is that much more productive!
>>
>>17637254
The courtroom is probably the last place you'll find anywhere near that level of speaking, now imagine if you had a letter from Amazon on the same level because your package arrived late.
>>
>>17637267
https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcript/2016

MR. KIMBERLY: The short answer, Your Honor,
is no. There are distinctions to be made in -- in the
context of the public-trial right, for example. Those
distinctions play out as -- at the threshold question
whether the public-trial right, in fact, has been
violated.
>>
>>17637267
An example of a company user email:

>Hey there!

>We’ve registered changes to your Unity news settings.

>Should you want to change your preferences at any time, or if your settings have been altered in error, just visit our E-mail Preference Page.

>Should you want to ...

The conditional subjunctive is basically one of the English "keigo" things.
>>
>>17637274
Like I said, the last place where you will find that kind of language because there are very real consequences for stating something incorrectly, however imagine using the same kind of language on a daily basis for something as mundane as a late package.
https://blog.gaijinpot.com/keigo/
>>
>普通通り
>>
im confused on what this person is trying to say. girl tries to give him a handkerchief and he says
貧乏人のくせにいっちょまえにハンカチは持ってんだな。悪いな、俺は人から施しは受けね一主義。それが貧乏人なら特にな
particularly the いっちょまえに
is it "you try to fit in with society by carrying a handkerchief because you're poor... my number one rule is not to accept charity from other people. especially from poor people"
>>
>>17637281
I think you didn't notice the formal register there.

>Your Honor
>excessive use of the passive for the sake of politeness
>"whether" instead of "if", "about", or "of"
>inserting adverbial conjunctions mid-sentence (, in fact,)
>>
>>17637280
It still uses words and phrases that would be considered part of everyday conversation to convey their meaning though, the same context of how Japanese polite language would be on the same level as King's Court English.
>>
File: 1501668894986.jpg (201KB, 349x525px) Image search: [Google]
1501668894986.jpg
201KB, 349x525px
I am following the Anki guide and I'm currently doing the default 20 new words a day. However, I feel like the 20 new words a day is a bit too fast-paced, and the new vocabulary doesn't sit too well... Should I dedicate a day a week only for reviewing / revision?

Also, I only use "Again" and "Good" without pressing "Easy", even on painfully easy words. Does this make any real difference?

>>17630464
This is one thing holding me back. I'm utter shit at listening, not only Japanese, but even English and Arabic.
Whenever I'm in a casual conversation, I have to act like deaf and ask again, because my listening skills are so shit I cannot turn them into sentences in my mind fast enough.
On the other hand, reading written languages feels easier. Getting a gist of what is written in Japanese is much easier than listening.
>>
>>17637297
I think you underestimate how normal keigo is. Keigo phrases aren't magic, they're basically glorified euphemisms. In English you you replace short words with longer ones and use dead grammar like the conditional subjunctive. In Japanese you replace short words with longer ones and use dead grammar like the conditional 仮定形.
>>
>>17637292
Again it is necessary because the courtroom deals in facts alone and there is a need to use bleeding edge context in every single word or phrase because there can't be a single hint of doubt or suspicion in the words that are spoken and you won't find the same kind of need outside of some science journals. The difference is that keigo is used in almost all facets of conversation between a difference in authority or respect in Japanese culture, and being that it is Japanese culture there are a shitton of them.
>>
>>17637313
Formal English is used in exactly the same places as Keigo is used in Japanese.
>>
File: 1502887953206.jpg (33KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1502887953206.jpg
33KB, 600x564px
>>17637303
>Arabic
Delete yourself please.
>>
>>17637312
>dead grammar like the conditional 仮定形
I'm not part of this conversation at all and couldn't care any less about it than I already do, but just out of curiosity I'd like to know what you meant by this.
>>
>>17637327
Using ~ば conditionals (or other conditionals based on the 仮定形) where they're technically logically inappropriate, where ~たら or ~と conditionals would be better.
>>
File: fingolia2.jpg (167KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
fingolia2.jpg
167KB, 1200x900px
Fingolia rules
>>
What can I use instead of:

{{#textnotes}}
<hr>
{{/{textnotes}}

Anybody knows? (It's supposed to insert the black line only if the field isn't empty)
>>
>>17637338
Sorry, I was unclear. I meant that using the ~ば conditional for those kinds of conditions is "dead", not ~ば itself for the conditions it currently logically fits well.

>>17637357
No idea but you might be able to

<hr
{{#textnotes}}
<!-- markup that makes the hr disappear>
{{/textnotes}}
>
>>
>>17637357
That should work. Either the fields aren't really empty (they have to be a 100% blank string, IIRC) or something in the CSS is preventing the <hr> from rendering.
>>
>>17637371
What happens is it bugs out completely and won't accept this at all.
>>
>>17637378
Did you copy paste it? You have a stray { in the example in your post.
>>
>>17637385
I'm blind. Thanks for that.
>>
>>17637360
Okay. ~たら would also fall under the umbrella of "conditionals based on the 仮定形" so you should be careful with that too.
>>
>>17637393
Grammar people treat たら like its own thing these days rather than the 仮定形 of something. It's like calling "went" a form of "wend" instead of "go". Like, it's technically right in terms of etymology, but that's not how people think about it.
>>
>>17637291
Despite being poor you hold out a handkerchief to an actual member of society like me?
>>
>>17637408
that makes more sense, thanks
I confuse くせに with せいで
>>
>>17637406
>Grammar people
Who? What if I consider myself a grammar person? Why do you get to speak for how people think about things and I don't?
You can't just make a claim like "that's not how people think about it" and expect people to accept it without any kind of proof.
I just googled たらとは and right at the top of the page it says 「た」の仮定形。た助動。
I understand that you're tying to save face and have no desire to argue with you over something so trivial, but come on. Why is it so important to you to always have to have the last say and be right about everything? At least back up claims with proofs.
>>
>>17637425
I, too, know how to use online dictionaries. A dictionary will also tell you that "went" comes from "went" if it goes any further than "past tense of go".

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/went

>Originally the past tense of wend.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/went

>old pt. of wend, used to replace missing form of go1

Finally:

>You can't just make a claim like "that's not how people think about it" and expect people to accept it without any kind of proof.

たら doesn't actually come from the 已然形, it comes from the 未然形. た was special in that the modern ~ば usage standardized on the 未然形 rather than the 已然形. Before standardizing on mostly the 已然形, both could be used, depending on the situation. This is why it ends in an a instead of an e.

In this conversation, I was using 仮定形 as the modernized name for the 已然形, not as "the form used in hypothetical statements".

I know that for a at least a short period of time, 仮定形 wasn't just a modern name for the 已然形. If I'm wrong here, this is where my mistake is, not in making shit up. I studied classical Japanese much more than I studied modern Japanese, so there's a good chance that I misunderstood how the modern terminology works.
>>
>>17637461
comes from "wend"*
>>
>>17637133
I am a native speakers, so that isn't a mistake.

I'm actually a prescriptivist. I just like to troll with the "natives can never be wrong" thing.
>>
>>17637472
Natives can be wrong but when enough of them think something's right it basically automatically is.

There's no such thing as language actually anyway so it's all sociopolotical semanticism in the throughbouts, amiwrite.
>>
File: 103798.jpg (176KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
103798.jpg
176KB, 1280x720px
How long did it take you to read VNs without texthooker?
I have been playing with texthooker for a few months and while it feels like I'm not progressing while playing I have really progressed when I look at the beginning.
It's a bit frustrating but I guess I have to keep playing. I just with to be able to read without crutches. So what timeframe should I aim for?
2 years?
>>
>>17637510
Nobody's experience on this topic will be more valid than the Moog's:

https://curiouscat.me/Moogy/post/205509862
>Do you remember how many games in you stopped text hooking?
>Baldr Force was the first game I played without a text hook, I think it was my tenth?

>So what timeframe should I aim for? 2 years?
It's about how much Japanese you consume, not how much real time passes.
>>
Hello! I recently found this really nice rap/pop-song-with-really-fast-lyrics and I'd like to be able to sing along to it. The main thing I'd need for now is the chorus (it goes from 0:59 to 1:20 in the video down below), so if you have the spare time, could any of you please write the Romaji and maybe even the translation for me? If so, thank you very much!
Here's the link: https://youtu.be/mEmznINVGV8
>>
File: 1494518558034.jpg (153KB, 822x1452px) Image search: [Google]
1494518558034.jpg
153KB, 822x1452px
>>17637514
I see. So i should aim for around tenth game.
Thank you for quoting that post anon.
I have just finished 1 and another one so I'm just at the beginning, but I'll give my best!
>>
>>17637510

Just keep at it and take it a day at a time instead of thinking years ahead because too many factors play into that. Occasionally do as you have seemingly done and look back at how much you've improved, and draw your motivation from that direction instead.

It's a gradual process, but also one that slowly continues accelerating for as long as you keep at it.
>>
>>17637543
and dropped another one*
I think I should go to sleep already.
>>
>>17637475
>when enough of them think something's right it basically automatically is
Is it how it works in Burgerland? Here it's only right if the linguistic elites agree that it's right (i.e. a lot of shit that 90+% people say is still considered wrong).
>>
>>17637461
>A dictionary will also tell you that "went" comes from "went" if it goes any further than "past tense of go".
And what does that prove? Your original analogy doesn't even work, in my opinion. If you had said, "たら is the 仮定形 of た," and then I said, "No, it's actually the 未然形 of たり," then it would be a valid comparison, because we would both technically be correct but I would only be correct in the context of the classical language. In the modern language, たら is the 仮定形 of た. In the modern language, went is the past-tense of go.

>In this conversation, I was using 仮定形 as the modernized name for the 已然形, not as "the form used in hypothetical statements".
There's only one usage of the word 仮定形 that I'm aware of, and that's in reference to conjugation form number 5 out of 6 in modern Japanese, which comes between the 連体形 and the 命令形 in traditional ordering.

If you were to try to make the claim that "たら is not the 仮定形 of た," then you would be wrong, and that's all I'm pointing out. "Conditionals based on the 仮定形" would have to include both ~たら and なら, along with 仮定形+ば, because たら is the 仮定形 of ~た and なら is the 仮定形 of だ. The fact that ~たらば and ならば are still valid constructions proves this, because the conjunctive particle ば attaches to the 仮定形 of inflected words and never the 未然形 in modern Japanese.

We can talk about the difference between 未然形+ば and 已然形+ば in classical Japanese if you want, but it has nothing to do with what I was talking about before and I think you only brought it up to try to scare me away from replying.
>>
>>17637548
It's how English linguists treat it. We don't have faux-linguists running an academy dedicated to preventing English from adapting to modern needs, so we're not stuck with things that are ridiculous today like "I am become death" (grammatically correct at the time) and "for whom the bell tolls" (which, still correct, sounds much less natural than the "incorrect" alternative, "for who the bell tolls")
>>
>>17637548
but the elites of society regardless of country affiliation decide whats fact and whats fake and if theres resistance they just spend enough money to buy the ability to dictate the truth to the unwashed masses
>>
>>17637559
You obviously understand what I was trying to say and what the thing I actually said meant, so just say it without acting like I'm supposed to know everything that you know and take it for granted. Am I wrong about 仮定形 being a modernized name for the 已然形? This is obviously not an unsubstantiated belief, but it's actually technically wrong, say so. Get off your high horse.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/已然形

>已然形(いぜんけい)または仮定形(かていけい)とは
>>
>>17637561
>sounds much less natural
I agree.

Also, seems like a great way to only use nigger-speak in a few decades.
Have fun with that.
>>
>>17637579
>but it's actually technically wrong
but if it's actually technically wrong*
>>
>>17637582
AAVE was actually the high class dialect of southern US plantation owners before they decided to stop saying things like "ain't" and making their negatives agree to distance themselves from their ex-slaves after slavery reformation started.
>>
>>17637559
he wasn't making an analogy to the entire situation, he was making an analogy to your use of the etymology information in online dictionaries
>>
>>17637588
>Southerners devolved thanks to consorting with niggers
Nice.
>>
Can your IME produce 砕屑物 if you type "saisetubutu"? Mine apparently can't.
>>
>>17637599
The fuck is clastic?
>>
>>17637613
shit that comes outta volcanoes my ninja
>>
>>17636021
Whoa anon thanks for this.
>>
>>17637559
>In the modern language, たら is the 仮定形 of た. In the modern language, went is the past-tense of go.
If you're talking about generative linguistics instead of schoolhouse grammar, たら isn't a form of anything in the modern language. It has its own semantics and function, completely unrelated to how the 仮定形 works with normal verbs. However, true generative linguistics doesn't care that much about categories, so whether it's a 仮定形 or not would basically be information about how people "think" grammar works to a generative linguist, rather than how it really does.

It's only correct to call たら a 仮定形 in the capacity that it's 仮定的, not as a stem to which other conjugations are applied. In a way, it's strange that grammar teachers insist on calling it a 仮定形 in the context of regular conjugations, because 仮定形 is "supposed to" replace 已然形 universally, as the name 已然形 doesn't intuitively apply to how the "e" forms work anymore.

In たらば, it should be considered 未然形, not 已然形, and retains the nuance caused by choosing the 未然形 over the 已然形. The construction たらば is the only real excuse to call it the 仮定形, but classifying it the same way as the 仮定形 of normal verbs is intellectually dishonest. I don't think anybody can disagree with the notion that it's intellectually dishonest, even if they continue to call たら a 仮定形 for the sake of being logically reasonable to natives that aren't scholars.

Assuming that たら being a 仮定形 is 100% intellectually honest given the context of what the 仮定形 is for other verbs, all 未然形 should be 仮定形 as well, since it's still grammatical to say 死なば, even though it's uncanny. A similar issue exists with the 未然形 of normal verbs and the hortative, but I won't get into that.

No reason to start an intellectually dishonest argument with no benefit to anything other than your own ego.
>>
>>17632286
Just saw the first episode of Ao Haru Ride with Japanese subtitles. It's pretty easy to follow and it's good practice, if you're interested.
>>
>pennwisedom

grammarians pretending to be linguists, never again
>>
the penis is mightier than the sword
>>
>>17636709
can you make a video?
>>
>>17637676
Too lazy, sorry
>>
>>17636709
Have you ever tried running tesseract on japanese text? I don't think it's as reliable as you think it is. I tried it on a blu-ray subtitle file a few months ago and it could barely produce a single readable sentence out of hundreds of lines of background-free text.
>>
What do you think about watching an episode with Japanese subtitles and then rewatch it without subtitles of any kind? Good, bad?
>>
>>17637738
It's very bad with certain fonts, but it's fairly reasonable with clean text.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. Tesseract 4 completely removes the "old", non-neural-network based character recognition engine, and you have to use the "best" training data from here to get the best results: https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tessdata/tree/master/best

This "best" training data apparently has some problems with things other than actual character recognition, which is why the config.txt in the archive I posted earlier is so important, it disables the neural network being used for character position detection or something.

本来ならもうとっくに完成しているはず
なのですが、工事は未だに中断された
ままで、再開のめども立っていません。

from https://core6000.neocities.org/hjgp/entries/54.htm
>>
>>17637753
>config.txt
Change preserve_interword_spaces 0 to preserve_interword_spaces 1 for Japanese by the way, otherwise it fills the output with spaces.
>>
Best Japanese OCR software is probably FineReader but it's propietary so you'll have to buy/pirate it.
>>
>>17637756
Also only recent versions. I got an ancient version as a bonus with some hardware I bought and it was awful.
>>
>>17637750
i dont think it does much for you other than begin to memorize the episode itself which may or may not be useful
>>
File: despair.jpg (38KB, 311x345px) Image search: [Google]
despair.jpg
38KB, 311x345px
>>17637750
depends what you want, reading prac or listening prac
with kanji subs, you're just cheating on listening prac
>>
>>17637753
Holy shit, any chance of using this to make a digital version of DoJG and HJGP?
>>
>>17637753
I uploaded a page of HJGP to https://ocr.space/ a while ago and it was pretty good (but not perfect). Not sure how it compares to Tesseract though it claims to be better.
>>
>>17637762
Go for it.
>>
>>17637762
KKLC's mnemonics would be good too. People still using RTK because it's easy to put mnemonics for it on flashcards.
>>
>>17637750
You should do it the other way round, so you can at least have a go at recognizing the words by sound alone.
>>
立つ = opposed to sitting
立てる = the action of standing up

is this right?
>>
Probably a retarded question, but
>そうですね……。わたくしは少々特殊な鬼でございますので、能力と言えるような能力は
>ただ強いて言うならば、真様のお世話をするために必要な知識と、主のおそばを離れても活動できるだけの力を与えられております
Am I right in assuming there's some kind of negation implied at the end of the first sentence?
>>
>>17637955
Negation? Of what?
>>
This is the first several pages from HJGP, OCR'd:

https://pastebin.com/raw/Lbjws1H5

I'm probably going to stop. It's mentally painful to do this.
>>
>>17637988
No example sentences by the way.
>>
>>17637856
I'm pretty sure tateru means to build.... sorry dude, i think you might be a dekinai
>>
>>17637972
I was thinking something like
>能力と言えるような能力はありません
because it's the only way I can see it connecting to the following sentence. Basically meaning "I can't talk about my ability" "but if I must say...".
But I might just be missing something much more obvious.
>>
>>17637988
>It's mentally painful to do this.
What do you mean?
You had to get rid of the mistakes? It requires you to select the language for each part manually?
>>
>>17637641
>>17637579
>Am I wrong about 仮定形 being a modernized name for the 已然形?
Yes, in this context. The auxiliary verb た derives from the classical auxiliary verb たり, but they are two separate words in two separate languages:

In classical Japanese, where the term 已然形 can be properly used, たり had a ラ変 conjugation:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/139244/meaning/m0u/%E3%81%9F%E3%82%8A/
未然形: たら
連用形: たり
終止形: たり (later たる)
連体形: たる
已然形: たれ
命令形: たれ

This then evolved into the classical version of た, which was intermediate between たり and modern た:
http://kobun.weblio.jp/content/%E3%81%9F
未然形: たら
連用形: たり
終止形: た
連体形: た
已然形: たれ
命令形: x

And now in modern Japanese, where the term 仮定形 is used because the function of the form previously known as the 已然形 has completely changed, た has an irregular conjugation:
未然形: たろ
連用形: x
終止形: た
連体形: た
仮定形: たら
命令形: x

This modern conjugation that I refer to to show that たら is the 仮定形 of た is not "etymology information" as >>17637591 says but a guide to how the auxiliary verb conjugates in modern spoken Japanese:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/132183/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%9F/
>[たろ|○|た|た|たら|○]
in just the same way that this guide to the conjugation of the auxiliary verb だ:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/132198/meaning/m1u/%E3%81%A0/
>[だろ|だっ・で|だ|(な)|なら|○]
is a guide to the modern spoken conjugation of だ and not to its etymological origin, which would be split between である and なり.

The 仮定形 of the auxiliary verbs た and だ in modern Japanese are unique in that the particle ば is optional:
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%9F-

556028#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88
>仮定形「たら」は、接続助詞「ば」を伴わないで、それだけでも用いられる。
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E3%81%A0-

556047#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88
>仮定形「なら」は、接続助詞「ば」を伴わないでそれだけで用いられることがある。

>>17637641
>classifying it the same way as the 仮定形 of normal verbs is intellectually dishonest
I disagree. And if it's intellectually dishonest then almost all J-J dictionaries are intellectually dishonest.
Let's examine the definition of the word 仮定形:
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/43088/meaning/m0u/%E4%BB%AE%E5%AE%9A%E5%BD%A2/

>口語の活用形の一。用言、助動詞の第五活用形。接続助詞「ば」を伴って順接仮定の条件を示す。「行けば」「書けば」などの「行け」「書け」の類。
One of the conjugation forms of spoken language. Conjugation form #5 for inflected words and auxiliary verbs. Shows a resultative hypothetical condition when accompanied by the conjunctive particle ば. For example the 行け of 行けば or the 書け of 書けば.

Modern た is an auxiliary verb used in the spoken language. The form of た that ば attaches to is たら, and XたらばY expresses a "resultative hypothetical condition," i.e., given a hypothetical condition X, Y will subsequently result. So far, the form たら matches this definition.

>文語の已然形が、その機能を変えて、主として仮定表現に用いられるようになったところからついた名称。文語では、この働きは未然形が有する。
Named for the way the 已然形 of the literary language came to be used mostly in hypothetical expressions through a change in function. In the literary language, this function is performed by the 未然形.

In the literary language the 未然形 of the classical version of た (see the intermediate conjugation explained above) would be used to perform the function of the 仮定形 of modern た. This remains consistent with everything I've written so far.

>仮定形 is "supposed to" replace 已然形 universally
That's begging the question: Who says it's supposed to?
>>
>>17637579
>>17638103

>Assuming that たら being a 仮定形 is 100% intellectually honest given the context of what the 仮定形 is for other verbs, all 未然形 should be 仮定形 as well
I don't think that's true either.
The meaning of 行けば in modern Japanese corresponds to 行かば in classical Japanese.
The meaning of 行けば in classical Japanese does not have a direct equivalent in modern Japanese. It would be translated to something like 行ったので, 行ったからには or in certain contexts 行くと (and by your own admission ~と has a different meaning than ~ば). If you decide to use 行かば instead of 行けば in the modern day, you are still expressing the same meaning, but you are now using a literary form of the language rather than the spoken form. The term 仮定形 as defined in the dictionary above does not apply to the literary language; in that case its function is performed by the 未然形. 行か is the 未然形.

According to my classical Japanese textbook, the shift where the function of 行かば was transferred to 行けば and the original function of 行けば was lost began in the Muromachi period, specifically.

Also:
>If you're talking about generative linguistics instead of schoolhouse grammar
I'm not talking about any kind of linguistics. I'm talking about Japanese. This is the Japanese thread. I do Japanese grammar in Japanese.

But none of this should require any explaining. The only point I was making in the beginning is that たら is the 仮定形 of た and so strictly speaking "conditionals based on the 仮定形" should include the conditional ~たら. The goo.jp link above that lists たら as the 仮定形 of た should be proficient to prove this. Arguing that the ~たら conditional is actually a conditional based on the 未然形 would be the equivalent of saying went is actually the past-tense of wend, because it would have to operate on the assumption that classical grammatical rules supercede modern grammatical rules. You are the one making the vain appeal to etymology to try to prove your point, not me.
>>
>>17638102
Waiting for the OCR to complete each time and removing newlines. Also everything other than the main full sentences (the headers, etc) had to be mostly manually written.
>>
>>17638061
The は particle here translates pretty well to the English "as for". Like, "As for the ability which I can call an ability, just to say it forcedly, ..." (not a good translation stylistically, but literal enough).
>>
>>17638061
Xと言えるようなX
is a pretty common form that means what
>>17638113
said.
>>
>>17638103
>>17638107

I'm >>17637312 and >>17637338 .

"or other conditionals based on the 仮定形" doesn't mean conditionals that are literally a 仮定形 form. It means conditionals that use the 仮定形 as their basis. If the conditional is the 仮定形 alone then it's not based on the 仮定形, it's just the 仮定形, dude. I'm giving you the full benefit of the doubt, it's totally legit to misunderstand "based on X" because it's used both ways, but I never thought ~たら wasn't a 仮定形. I just didn't mentally include it in "based on 仮定形" because it's literally a 仮定形. Arithmetic isn't based on arithmetic, it's just arithmetic, instead algebra is based on arithmetic.

You got into a really autistic argument with multiple people about something that doesn't matter at all.

Not only that, but grammar isn't reality, dude. It's an abstraction. You just wrote a two post long argument about labels invented by idiots that didn't know anything about how the brain handles language on an anonymous forum. I'm not saying that because I hate the labels they chose, I'm saying that because basically all "grammar" for every language is like that. I want to tell you to take a linguistics 101 class because you somehow think that linguistics has nothing to do with grammar, but instead, I'm going to tell you something really funny.

You could have done something productive like write a post about how western civilians fuck up Japanese grammatical jargon (which is legitimately a problem, jargon means people can talk about stuff, which makes abstractions like grammar useful), but instead you decided to fight over trivial bullshit.
>>
File: 1412800322359.png (239KB, 700x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1412800322359.png
239KB, 700x1065px
>出来ない
>>
>>17638107
>The term 仮定形 as defined in the dictionary above does not apply to the literary language; in that case its function is performed by the 未然形. 行か is the 未然形.
Could have made >>17637425 or >>17637559 consist entirely of this line and avoided however much time you spent writing everything since then, as well as not made yourself look like you're a socially retarded argumentative autist.
>>
>>17638113
>>17638131
I see, thanks. I think the reason I didn't pick up on it is that "the ability which I can call an ability" sounds off enough I assumed it had to have some more complex meaning, and fucked myself over in the process.
>>
File: stand.png (11KB, 646x162px) Image search: [Google]
stand.png
11KB, 646x162px
>>17638039
馬鹿
>>
>>17638151
So give me an example of a conditional "based on" the 仮定形 that isn't 仮定形+ば or ~たら or ~なら, then. If you can't, then "other conditionals based on the 仮定形" would be an empty category so it's confusing what you could possibly be referring to.

Also, it's my time, not yours. How I decide to use it is my own, and I enjoy in-depth conversations about grammar like this because I'm an autist like you say and Japanese grammar is one of the main objects of my autism. I consider it leisure time well spent.

>but grammar isn't reality, dude. It's an abstraction
And people argue over abstractions all the time. I think it's fun. And at least I back up my statements with facts instead of just talking down to everyone who disagrees with me and expecting people to kowtow to my non-existent authority.
>>
>>17638220
>So give me an example of a conditional "based on" the 仮定形 that isn't 仮定形+ば or ~たら or ~なら, then.
Compound conditions that start with 仮定形+ば but where the actual logical condition being expressed isn't the one that ば attaches to, like ばよかったら.
>>
>>17638160
I made this image at 6 months or so of learning Japanese feeling despair at the thought of struggling like I was forever, but now at 3.5-ish years I don't struggle with easy stuff at all, so I guess if I were the front I would say "like 2-3 years"
>>
>>17638192
just give it a minute, here that dude comes back with his "epically trolled!" response
>>
>>17638109
Post the raw output in a pastebin, those things you mention can be all be fixed with a script and regex.
>>
What's the deal with 喰う? Why is there a kanji like that? Why not just 食う? Same meaning, same reading, so why?
>>
>>17638392
There were much worse problems than that, but they were more rare.

I might go the full out unedited route, I don't know.
>>
>>17638482
Oh, and the problems included missing words at the ends of lines because lol heuristics
>>
>>17638418
Google and you will find a nice answer on Stack Overflow.
>>
>>17638418
Same meaning, different sense.
>>
I followed the advice about J-J dictionaries and have now been chain reading definition after definition on weblio for hours instead of the manga I was supposed to be reading.
>>
>>17638566
Boring.
>>
I try to ctrl+f キングダム in the cornucopia of resources and it just takes me to the bottom of the page with 2 hits. Is there some secret next page button or something?
>>
>>17638290
That doesn't make any sense in the context of your original post and in general. That's not a "compound conditional" (I've never even heard of such a thing) it's just a conditional nested inside another conditional (which is strange).

http://nana-music.com/sounds/013f1ade/
>短いので暇があればよかったら聴いてみてください
It's short, so if you've got the time [and] if it's alright [with you] please try giving it a listen.

You could rewrite it with a comma between あれば and よかったら and the meaning wouldn't change at all, to my ears.
>短いので暇があれば、よかったら聴いてみてください
(But I'm not even sure if this is natural-sounding or written by a native, there's very few search results for "ばよかったら" and most of them sound like they're written by gaijin to me, but I could be wrong.)

What makes this ~ばよかったら a "compound" conditional that deserves to be treated apart from ~ば and ~たら in their individual meanings?

Is it this?
>where the actual logical condition being expressed isn't the one that ば attaches to
So 暇がある isn't the "actual logical condition" being expressed, but 良い is? Then how does 暇がある fit into the sentence?

have free time + it's alright = please listen
don't have free time + it's alright = it's okay not to listen
have free time + it's not alright = it's okay not to listen
don't have free time + it's not alright = it's okay not to listen

The "have free time" condition is still required for the subsequent result to happen, so I would say it qualifies as an "actual logical condition" but you might have some definition of one of those words that I don't.

And in the event that you decide to say that this one particular instance of ~ばよかったら is not actually a compound conditional but there are other instances out there which are, please give me an example. The burden of proof is on you.

And, how does it fit into your original point that ~ば conditionals and other conditionals based on the 仮定形 in certain contexts are keigo? In what situation could you use ~ば+(用言の連用形)+たら (supposedly a compound conditional based on the 仮定形) to express something in keigo where, in your words ~たら or ~と conditionals would be better? In non-keigo, should the example above have been expressed 暇があったら聞いてみてください? Because that means something completely different.

If your original point had been worded along the lines of "たらば and ならば sound more stiff and formal than たら and なら" then I would have had no issue with it, but that's not what you said. So again I'm going to suggest that you're just making stuff up to save face because you hate admitting that you're wrong and/or baiting me because you know I'll bite.

But I can't argue with you if you use terms that only you know the definitions to so please define your terms concretely for me if you want this to continue.
It'll be Japanese grammar jargon vs. linguistics 302 grammar jargon and neither of us will get anywhere but it might be fun.
>>
>>17638567
Well, it's studying. Doesn't have to be fun, just effective.
>>
>>17638569
Probably a bug or something. You can probably find links from the source code if it has them
>>
>>17638570
ばよかったら was a terrible example and I have no idea why I posted it. Here are some that I was actually thinking about when I posted about compound conditionals already. It's the sort that still makes sense when you insert a 、, not the sort that acts as a true compound like たらば・ならば.

>危険だということを生徒達に周知してもらえれば、もしかしたら被害は抑えられるかもしれない。
>今の僕の位置からアゼルを攻撃すれば、もしかしたら。

In situations like these, 口語 would use different wording to avoid the ば altogether, rather than choosing a wording that uses it and adding もしかしたら to change the nature of the condition. The first one uses both もしかしたら and かもしれない not because they serve slightly different attitudes of possibility, but because もしかしたら changes how ば relates to the conclusion of the condition.

This example uses よかったら but it doesn't change the semantics much and doesn't have a non-口語 flavor to it.

>「スミちゃんが一緒にお茶でもって。忙しくなければ、よかったらどうかな」

>So again I'm going to suggest that you're just making stuff up to save face because you hate admitting that you're wrong and/or baiting me because you know I'll bite.

Actually I just want to see how far I can go from mainstream Japanese grammar and still dig myself out of the hole made by doing so.
>>
>>17638570
>>17638659
I'm going to bed, so pretend this is my next response to whatever you post. I sketched out several possible responses depending on what problems you find in >>17638659, but I won't get to your next post before falling asleep if it takes as long as the last few, so I decided to flesh out this one and post it anyway because it lets me go further away from Japanese grammar. When I wake up I'll still read whatever you post, I'm just going to be asleep when you post it.

ば is normally used with conditions where ば is a sufficient condition for the following statement. By inserting もしかしたら, the condition itself is doubted, not just the result. "Perhaps, if I X, Y (as opposed to Y not happening, because I only care about Y, like "Maybe if I eat fruit I'll stop being sick")" rather than "If I X, Y might happen (as opposed to something else, because I care about X, like "If I eat fruit I might get fat")". With doubtworthy conditions like the former, 口語 usually uses なら or たら on the condition because they have more modal flexibility about the condition itself.

It has to do with grammatical modality, but I'm not 100% certain whether different 口語 dialects treat the different conditions with the same grammatical modalities, so I can't give an exact explanation.

If you're interested in how western conception of modality itself might relate to Japanese, common moods associated with conditions are almost all the Epistemic ones, in addition to the Gnomic, Precative, Propositive, Imprecative, and Optative, though the last four (after Gnomic, not including it) would only be associated with conditions in Japanese in the sense that you could build them out of conditional phrases (like ばいい and たらいい). Those gaijin posts with ばよかったら (in the highly connected sense, not in the loosely connected sense that accepts a 、) were probably an unconscious attempt to use the Propositive or Permissive inside of a conditional condition (i.e. if so-and-so sees situation X with Y mood).

There are other examples where ば is used along with another conditional expression to change modality but I'm getting very tired and I would probably mess up describing them. That's why my last post was so vague.
>>
>>17638659
In your first two example sentences, もしかしたら is functioning as an adverb (you might think of it as a set phrase):
https://kotobank.jp/word/%E8%8B%A5%E3%81%97%E3%81%8B%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F%E3%82%89-645512#E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.9E.97.20.E7.AC.AC.E4.B8.89.E7.89.88
>[副]
Adverb
>可能性は低いが、そうかもしれないと仮定するさま。 ひょっとしたら。
Supposing that something might be the case, although the probability is low. Just maybe.

>adding もしかしたら to change the nature of the condition
Given that it's an adverb, it's modifying the following predicate in both sentences, stated or otherwise. Adverbs do not modify previous clauses unless it's some kind of inverted sentence, which this is not.

>危険だということを生徒達に周知してもらえれば
This still expresses "if we can get the students to understand (to make widely known among themselves) that it's dangerous..."
So it doesn't fit the "actual logical condition being expressed isn't the one that ば attaches to" remark, since 生徒達に周知してもらう is still the condition necessary for the subsequent result:
>もしかしたら被害は抑えられるかもしれない
[then we] might (かもしれない) by some off-chance (もしかしたら) be able to curb (抑えられる) the damage (被害は).

>今の僕の位置からアゼルを攻撃すれば、もしかしたら。
If I were to attack Azel (アゼルを攻撃すれば) from my current position (今の僕の位置から), then just maybe (もしかしたら)...
Attacking is still the required condition in this case for whatever the unstated result is.

>In situations like these, 口語 would use different wording to avoid the ば altogether
Your remark was about 敬語 vs. ため口 originally, have we shifted into 口語 vs. 文語? Because that's completely different. All of these example sentences so far have been in 口語. And even if you meant ため口 that still doesn't make sense because they're already in ため口 too.

>もしかしたら changes how ば relates to the conclusion of the condition
I don't think that's true. I think もしかしたら is just one component of the conclusion, and I don't think that makes ば、もしかしたら into a "compound conditional."

And I think your third example sentence is of exactly the same nature as the iffy ばよければ example I posted above.

I might be able to help make your point for you:
>WiiUのゲームだけ遊べればいいのならWiiU(プレミアムセット)。
In this case the necessary condition is not WiiUのゲームだけ遊べる but WiiUのゲームだけ遊べればいい, so I might be willing to call this a "compound conditional," but only in scare quotes because l don't believe there's such a grammatical concept in Japanese that needs to be distinguished from one conditional being nested inside another, separate conditional (as in this example).

And that still doesn't have anything to do with the assertion you made that
>Using ~ば conditionals (or other conditionals based on the 仮定形) where they're technically logically inappropriate, where ~たら or ~と conditionals would be better.
is a form or component of 敬語. The above sentence is definitely both 口語 and ため口.
>>
>>17638845
>Adverbs do not modify previous clauses unless it's some kind of inverted sentence, which this is not.
that's where you're wrong. this is one of the things we learn in linguistics, adverbs can change anything in the entire speech act. period. the statement i quoted is 100% wrong. i don't know how he did it but anon managed to ensnare you.
>>
Is anyone actually reading these walls of text?
>>
>>17638574
funness and effectiveness are often highly correlated though.
>>
>>17638887
Not really. I think most of it is just two autistics arguing, so it's not really meant for us to read anyway.
>>
>>17638948
misguided grammar vs armchair linguistics is the most fun thing to watch though
>>
Can (人)の参考にならない be used in the sense of "not regarding that person"?
>>
File: IMG_5949.png (1MB, 2208x1242px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5949.png
1MB, 2208x1242px
>>17638954
Should we ask Noam Chomsky for an expert consultation?
>>
>>17638959
No. It just means "It does not make for a reference for (other people)".
>>
>>17638959
>(人)
かわいいお尻ですよ
>>
>>17638998
Okay, since in one sentence it was used as 「彼女の参考にならないどころか。。」, and I thought of it as "Far to even compare with her situation, the other person's is much more worse)."
>>
>>17638966
>the fucking state of subs in 2017
>>
>>17638860
https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/191637/meaning/m0u/%E5%89%AF%E8%A9%9E/
>下に来る用言を修飾するもの
modifies the inflected word that follows
The only exception it mentions is:
>「もっと東」「すこしゆっくり」のように体言や他の副詞を修飾することもある。
So they can also modify nouns and other adverbs, which aren't inflected words.

>this is one of the things we learn in linguistics, adverbs can change anything in the entire speech act.
This is just a statement you're making based on your own personal studies of the "science" of linguistics, which I have no interest in and which I probably have less knowledge of than you do, because while I have studied linguistics in University classes I dropped out after only 3 years because I hated it.

I'm not speaking from a standpoint of linguistics, I'm talking about Japanese grammar in particular, and I'm not pulling statements out of my own head as proof, I'm giving you evidence form outside sources that support the things I'm saying.

So maybe in your mind もしかしたら is somehow modifying 周知してもらえれば instead of 抑えられるかもしれない, but I believe it's modifying the latter and I can cite sources to back up my positions.

What can you do except say "Nuh uh, linguists say that's wrong"? I have seen no hard evidence for any of your positions.

>the statement i quoted is 100% wrong. i don't know how he did it but anon managed to ensnare you.
I won't directly accuse you of samefagging without proof but I'm 95% sure you're samefagging. And I know your favorite debate technique is to latch on to one small part of the opponent's post that you think is technically wrong and use that as proof that everything they say is stupid because this isn't my first time in /djt/, but I don't think it works here.
>>
>>17639085
congrats you pulled off an oversimplified dictionary definition that doesn't have anything to do with reality outside of really basic examples and then called me a samefag

i'm very familiar with djt too and love watching your arguments because you stoop to insane logic like dictionaries > the entire field of linguistics to save face when the logic you use to corner people fails and it's amazing
>>
>>17639085
Grammar is linguistics, just simplified and reduced in scope for teaching normal people.

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>17638569
In case you haven't noticed by this point, and for anyone else with this problem, if a link shows up but does appear to be on the page, change sheets and try again.
キングダム is found as a dead link, for example, so it will show up as a hit but not on the manga page.
https://djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html#dead
Alternatively, try using https://mokuroku.neocities.org/ for manga from the CoR.
>>
>>17639071
You didn't show any context, but as presented the sentence makes me think of it as "To her, it's not at all useless...".
>>
>>17639101
Congrats, you've managed to go an entire debate without quoting any sources except for 俺様.

Instead of that strawman argument about adverbs why don't you attack this:
>And that still doesn't have anything to do with the assertion you made that
>>Using ~ば conditionals (or other conditionals based on the 仮定形) where they're technically logically inappropriate, where ~たら or ~と conditionals would be better.
>is a form or component of 敬語.

Because you made a statement that was wrong, and I pointed out that it was wrong, and then while I was explaining why it was wrong you tried to twist the entire debate around into me being the one having to defend a statement because you love winning arguments but suck at making logical ones. You're really good at dishonest debate tactics, I'll give you that.

You and your alter-ego are both fucking retarded too, and "linguistics" is critical-theory riddled garbage. This has been a great anonymous conversation. Have a good night.
>>
>>17639139
wasn't me dude you're just upset that a fact that's easy to google ruins your multi essay length tirade that was supposed to culminate in the most absolute cornering of but failed

if you don't understand how adverbs work you're not worth spoonfeeding lmao
>>
>>17639139
>"linguistics" is critical-theory riddled garbage.
Uh, if you're saying that linguistics has problems with core theories, then grammar is only now problem riddled. But this sentence doesn't actually make sense at all so I'm pretty sure you somehow don't even know what kind of scope linguistics has. Parts of speech, syntax, word usage, semantics, these are all linguistics.
>>
>>17639130
>「学籍がない…」
>休学どころか、学校そのものに行ってないなんて
>(彼女)の参考にならないどころか、俺の方が同情してしまいそうだ。
彼女 is speaking of another person (who is in a similar situation but not as bad).
>>
>>17639164
honestly you're the one who's been resorting to ad hominem and refusing to give any sort of sources because you don't have any so I wonder who is mad here.

What easy google search? "japanese adverb modify previous word" "adverb placement in japanese"?

where is a source telling me that an adverb can modify a word that comes before it in a sentence in Japanese? because I've looked and I can't find one. I need your help. I'm so stupid.

I like that you've completely given up defending your original point because you think you "got" me

my internal grammar for Japanese is consistent as fuck and you'll never break my 大和魂
>>
>>17639212
japanese isn't special but really just googling any adverb and reading the bolded quotes will show you several examples where the adverb begins clause b but modifies clause a's relationship to the linguistics common ground on addition to the function it has with clause b
>>
>>17639212
>I like that you've completely given up defending your original point because you think you "got" me
Probably because he's not the one that posted that point, you paranoid freak.
>>
>>17639224
it's almost like djt arguments bring out crazy people
>>
オニイチャンオハヨウ
オゲンキデスカ
キョウハイイテンキデショウネ
>>
Animelon is so fucking great when you're intermediate.
I'm consolidating like a motherfucker thanks to it.
>>
>>17639202
To me here it feels like he's saying that far from (him) not advising her, on the contrary he's even starting to feel sympathy for her. I am not entirely sure so if anyone can jump in to correct I will be glad.
>>
>>17639263
To clarify in Japanese, I see it as being rephrase-able to 俺の方が、彼女の参考にならないどころか、同情してしまいそうだ.
>>
>>17639281
The 彼女 is different here from which the person feels sympathy for, as noted already >> 17639071
>>
chiitrans is kill?
>>
>>17639212
Your original guy said he was going to sleep and literally posted a prefabricated reply before it was ready. I don't know what more you could want to believe it.
>>
>>17639297
Ah. I misunderstood the explanation of the context. There is nothing confusing about it then.
>>
>>17639306
Then the correct interpretation of 参考にならない is....?
>>
File: 1497431253411.jpg (74KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497431253411.jpg
74KB, 600x600px
>>17637318
t-thank you for your answer...
>>
>>17639310
You know, I've started doubting myself again, so to do anymore second-guesses would be too embarrassing. I'll just wait till someone else explain it properly.

To me it feels like this, though:
"Far from it not being a reference to her, I myself am starting to feel pity".
>>
>>17637303
you might have a problem man
Get that check'd from a doctor
>>
わからないことがあったら

きくこと
>>
たいふうがきたら

たすけあうこと
>>
いちどきまったら

したがうこと
>>
So anytime I open up anki it has an error about the system clock being off, however both the windows time and the bios clock is correct, How can I get rid of this? Also there used to be an Anki deck with all the kana, it looks like its gone now?
>>
File: Capture.png (11KB, 366x299px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
11KB, 366x299px
>>17637599
Google IME
>>
So I downloaded a premade Anki deck that I've been working on for about a year now and then I came to this card for 女装
>女装:女性が、男性の服装をしたり男性に扮装したりすること。
This is the definition for 男装, right? What the hell. What if I've been learning other things incorrectly? I'm scared.
>>
>>17639650
そのことば

はじめてみたかも

あんきしたー

>>17639677
じょそうというと

ときとばしょをえらばないと

はんざいっぽいひびきがあるよ
>>
Do you guys browse futaba? Is it helpful for learning or too much slang?
>>
>>17639696
Any and all Japanese is helpful. If you want to learn formal scientific lingo it probably is not the best place to go to.
>>
File: o063806401418181752973.jpg (69KB, 638x640px) Image search: [Google]
o063806401418181752973.jpg
69KB, 638x640px
>>17639687
大丈夫未犬木
I don't leave my house anyway.
>>
>>17639677
>This is the definition for 男装, right?
Yep. Someone must have got the two mixed up, which probably means that deck isn't very trustworthy.
>>
>>17639708
いじくりすぎてこわい
>>
>>17637599
saisetubutu
>>
>>17637599
Mozc can't. Such is the price of being free.
>>
>>17639310

To be of no use as a reference, to be of no help as a resource, to not be a helpful source of information, and so forth. There are no other interpretations for it.
>>
短パンってなんていうの?

ショタに短パンは

パンにバターぐらい味わい深い
>>
Are there any j-j dictionaries for kids?
>>
>>17639628
I had that error once but it disappeared the next day. Which Kana deck do you mean? There were/are several.
>>
>>17639955
I do not remember but it just had all the katakana and hiragana and permutations and the stroke order, none of that "type what it is" bullshit
>>
>>17639968
I only have the Kana Writing deck backed up.
>>
File: 1504199262112.jpg (223KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1504199262112.jpg
223KB, 1280x720px
>tfw doing Anki Core along with NHK Easy articles
>>
>>17640040
What are you implying?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
ドラゴンとDragonのちがいを

おしえておにいちゃん
>>
>>17640079
同じだろう
>>
>>17640086
ニンジャとninjaのちがいと

おんなじ?
>>
File: ランキング.jpg (34KB, 362x469px) Image search: [Google]
ランキング.jpg
34KB, 362x469px
>>
Is "せんとする" too dated to be used these days?
>>
>9 days into learning
It's still going steady and I've gotten pretty good at reading kana however when those 50 stroke kanji compounds pop up I feel broken
>>
>>17640163
One day at a time.
>>
>>17640163
>when those 50 stroke kanji compounds pop up I feel broken
What are you talking about? The radicals?
The highest stroke count is 17 for a radical but it's practically never used. Most simple kanji hover at around 5-10 strokes, with some intermediate and hard ones at around 12-17.
Some words still use individual kanji with stroke counts of 20+, but these are very rare.
Furthermore, stroke count does not equal difficulty in reading or understanding. Stroke count only makes it harder to write by hand or possibly to read if it becomes really squished and it's hard to tell where lines stop and start, but rarely is that ever a problem.

Words like 憂鬱 (depression, 44 strokes total,) 綺麗 (beautiful, 33 strokes total,) and 薔薇 (rose, 32 strokes total) are some of the few high-stroke count kanji actually in use, but even then the latter 2 are usually written with kana alone.
Don't worry about stroke count and just focus on memorizing the meanings, readings, and words they're part of.

Stroke count is only ever relevant if you want to learn to write the language by hand, which there's barely any reason to do when computers make it just a matter of writing the reading for a kanji and hitting space to find the right ones.
And even then, stroke count is not equal to difficulty. Difficulty in writing comes down to amount of unique strokes total (e.g., 森 is much easier to remember and write than 働 even though they're both 12 strokes, because the former is just 木 3 times while the latter utilizes 3 compounds.)
>>
>>17640163

It's not like people can read complex equations right after learning numbers either, that's just how it goes with anything that requires a lot of studying.

We've all been there, and it'll get better over time.
>>
>>17640194
>are some of the few high-stroke count kanji actually in use
Correction: high-stroke count WORDS in use. Although all of those kanji are relatively high-stroke count individually too.
>>
>>17640194

Anon, I'm pretty they sure they just meant "complex-looking things I can't make heads or tails of" rather than literally talking about precise stroke amounts.
>>
>>17640163
Is english your native language? If not, do you remember how you learned it?
>>
>>17640040
>doing anki core
That retarded picture suits you well.
>>
>>17640212
Yes, you have a point, but can you blame me for getting technical when he says "stroke kanji compounds" and making it sound like he's almost onto something?
If he wanted to say "I can't read these dumb moonrunes" then there are better ways to convey that.
>>
>>17640217
What's exactly wrong with Anki core?
>>
File: 1466706762457.png (132KB, 473x473px) Image search: [Google]
1466706762457.png
132KB, 473x473px
>>17640217
justjumpinandstartreadingrightbois
>>
File: JM2AQbn[1].png (19KB, 798x120px) Image search: [Google]
JM2AQbn[1].png
19KB, 798x120px
dont end up like this guy
>>
>>17640240
yea just do it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrqO4eSqRC4
>>
>>17640287
>low quality spook instead of high quality spooky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sqm6ziIJKw
>>
>>17640294
i dont know what any of that has to do with the post you quoted
>>
>>17640275
What happened to that guy?
>>
>>17640115
No.
In now, They will use "しようとする".
>>
>>17640307
probably became one of those japanese masters who sit on mountains
>>
>>17640307
That guy passed the JLPT N2, apparently.
https://forum.koohii.com/thread-14761.html
>>
>>17636897
>I know more about English than you even realize is possible to know.
lol

>This isn't about you. This is about the creators of Japanese media.
I'm not creating Japanese media, I'm making a posting on an imageboard which will automatically be deleted within a matter or hours or days.

>You forgot the part where you inserted a random Japanese word into an English post for the purpose of emphasizing the fact that it's an exotic thing, valued for being exotic.
I forgot that part because I never did it. "Drama" can mean a variety of things in English, "dorama" unambiguously refers to Japanese TV dramas. I used "dorama" because it allowed me to more specifically refer to the thing I was talking about.

You are unbelievably autistic.
>>
>>17640432
>graded readers
>1 new kanji a day
That's pretty slow despite having passed N2.
>>
File: 1000yardstare.png (173KB, 253x330px) Image search: [Google]
1000yardstare.png
173KB, 253x330px
>>17635379
anki...
>>
>>17640432
How did he do it
>>
>>17636897
>I know more about English than you even realize is possible to know.
This made me laugh more than it should. Would been perfect with a "nothing personnel, kid."
>>
>>17640222
If you have to, make your own deck.
Reading is the thing that you should focus on the most.
>>
>>17640501
Seems a bit odd, but who knows.
>>
File: 1494900958113.png (68KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1494900958113.png
68KB, 229x173px
I updated the radio section of the resources guide, but I think the maintainer of the various Google Docs pages as well as the neocities page has given up on updating any of it, so you will have to look at the live "guide resources list" Google Docs page to see what I did.

Since people who aren't really aware of Japanese dialects and pitch accents might just pick some random radio station to listen to where people may be speaking some weird dialect, I decided to specifically direct people to radio stations from the regions where the West Kanto dialects (the group which the Yamanote dialect, otherwise known as Standard Japanese, belongs to) are spoken with the Tokyo-style (i.e. Standard Japanese) pitch accent system.

I know it's nothing major or groundbreaking, but I figured I'd announce it here anyway since otherwise anyone who would find it useful would probably never see it.

I used the following as my sources:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ファイル:Japanese_dialects-ja.png
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ファイル:Japanese_pitch_accent_map-ja.png
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/西関東方言

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes.
>>
ベインのことを教えろ!なんでマスクを被っている?
>>
File: screen.png (24KB, 576x254px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
24KB, 576x254px
How long have you been studying? Personally, my worst estimate is 1600 hours and N3, so I'll just go with that. I've never applied for the test so I wouldn't know what level I should really be. Goes without saying that I am not a chink either.
>>
>>17640624
1 hour
native
>>
>>17640633
So you never went to school? I saw in anime that you have a subject called 国語.
>>
>>17640624
If I had to say 2.5 years of around an hour a day it would bring me to around 900 hours. I'm at N2 level.
>>
>>17640623
ちゃうちゃうねん、公式ダブは
「ベインについて教えろ!あのマスクは何のためなんだ!?」
ってことやん
>>
I haven't been using Rikaisama for a long time, reinstalled my system in the meantime and lost my Rikaisama settings.
Was there anything to change to get the kanji dictionary to work? Kanji dictionary works when I type the kanji in the toolbar searchbox, the normal (or names) dictionary when pointing to text works, but kanji dictionary when pointing to text won't fucking work.
>>
>>17640710
maybe its just time to live life without training wheels dude
>>
>>17640660
I'm 2,1 years in and I've been going at it with 2 hours a day on average, probably. Oh well. I hope no one minds me making DJT look bad. That N2 is just within reach.
>>
>>17640624
>How long have you been studying?
Anki says I've spent 126 hours. I'd throw in another say 200 hours worth of reading, plus 50 hours worth of misc. study. Round it up to 400 hours. Can't really say, though.
As for 級段階, I don't know, maybe I'd pass N4.

The only objective measure of time spent studying I have in Anki, but that doesn't exactly paint the full picture of what's going on.
>>
File: be patient.png (207KB, 403x433px) Image search: [Google]
be patient.png
207KB, 403x433px
>>17640739
I'm not ready yet.
Please somebody help me.
>>
>>17640753
>As for 級段階, I don't know, maybe I'd pass N4.
Is there a recommended way (website) to do a mock-up of a JLPT exam? At least to know roughly the level.
>>
>>17640805
Sample questions and JCAT, I guess.
http://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/forlearners.html
>>
>>17640805
Yeah, there is.
>>
File: 1407594323712.jpg (153KB, 702x500px) Image search: [Google]
1407594323712.jpg
153KB, 702x500px
>>17640813
>>
>>17640805
Do JCAT. It was reasonably accurate in determining my score versus my actual JLPT score.
>>
>>17640624
4.5 years or so, about 30-45 minutes a day on average I'd guess.

I took the N2 after 3 years, so about 550-820 hours. So that chart is probably not very accurate.
>>
I enabled real time import, and by default it creates two cards, one with the word on the front and word/reading/definition on the back, and one with the definition on the front. Is there a way for me to disable it creating the second card? I do not want it.
>>
>>17640605
Do I have to do something for that tunein website to work? Whenever I've tried using it I just get an "An error has occurred, please try again." message at the bottom of the page.

>>17640710
I don't recall changing anything related to that and I hit shift over a character to bring it up kanji information.
>>
>>17640456
>I forgot that part because I never did it.
No, you did. By using "dorama," you are singling out Japanese dramas for being exotic. Period.

>"dorama" unambiguously refers to Japanese TV dramas.
There are exactly two reasons to use "dorama." One, you are romanizing a Japanese word that means the same thing as the English word "drama". Two, you are adapting a Japanese word about something normal to refer to Japanese versions of that thing in an exotic way. No, there is no other use of the string "dorama."

>You are unbelievably autistic.
You are unbelievably fake otaku.

>>17640537
Thanks I make my responses to retarded shitflinging as funny as possible
>>
>>17640902
Which version of FF?
>>
>>17641014
I'm starting to think the Australian asshole is actually more likable than you.
>>
しずかにしろよ さけがまずくなる
>>
File: 1458099882923.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1458099882923.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>17640624
What the hell?
If I play VNs 2 hours every day it'll take me 6 years to pass N1 according to that chart.
>>
>>17641276
That's different. Those charts are for people who just review the same old words in Anki all day.
>>
>>17641291
Nah, actually for oldschool classroom bullshit.
>>
https://youtu.be/0eRLcZ_ZYpo
>>
>>17641276
if you only play vns you might not even pass n1 in 6 years honestly
>>
>>17641384
>if you only play vns you might not even pass n1 in 6 years honestly
t. ankidrone
>>
>>17641384
What do you mean?
I doubt anyone will try to take it without reviewing grammar from a suitable textbook.
It's a test afterall. Even if you know japanese after playing VNs you still have to learn how to take tests.
>>
>>17638763
I'm upset that they didn't respond to this.
>>
>>17641384
https://ask.fm/moogy0/answers/131728572884
>>
>>17641384
moogy-denka did it in 6 months
>>
>>17641124
Oh I'm on 50.1.0 and it slipped my mind to try another browser which worked, thanks.
>>
>>17641470
im a pretty militant flashcard hater as they are suggested in these threads ala what gave rise to the term you used in your post

>>17641482
seems like you more or less get the idea that it depends on the person and what they do

>>17641515
>>17641521
but have you
>>
>>17640902
>Do I have to do something for that tunein website to work? Whenever I've tried using it I just get an "An error has occurred, please try again." message at the bottom of the page.
Are you using uMatrix, NoScript or some similar add-on?

The radio streams aren't hosted on the site itself and are drawn from various other sources, so you will have to permit connections from those sources in whatever add-on you're using.

Besides those sources, I think you also have to allow tunein itself, as well as jwpcdn, jwplayer, apis.google and maybe ampush, leanstream and radiotime as well.
>>
>>17641561
Oh, and you will have to disable strict HTTPS since a lot of the streams are linked to tunein over HTTP connections and will thus be blocked under strict HTTPS controls.
>>
>>17640810
>able to get almost all of them fairly easily on N4
Wow, I guess the DJT method works after all.
>>
>>17641766
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>17641790
Sorry, let me rewrite that post properly so that you can understand what I meant:
I was able to get almost all of the example questions fairly easily on N4. Wow, I guess the DJT method works after all.
>>
>>17641800
I see, I get it now. Please refrain from misusing the quote function.
>>
>>17641809
Sorry, I didn't mean to do something so foolish and unsightly. Proper communication should be used at all times, even if the locals will understand it completely. Without proper adherence to correct usage of the quote function, I might get random people thinking I'm an idiot.
>>
>>17641790
Reminder that this stock response has literally become a normie meme and by continuing to use it where it's not necessary you're perpetuating the appropriation of online culture by mass media.
>>
>>17641821
>normie
>>>/int/
>>
>>17641829
Wow, you're clueless, huh?
>>
>>17641837
I get your joke anon. Don't worry.
>>
>>17641848
Thanks.
>>
File: 43346.jpg (131KB, 1918x1077px) Image search: [Google]
43346.jpg
131KB, 1918x1077px
Please stop picking fights with normos on my DJT.
>>
>>17641849
Hmm ok. Weirdo.
>>
man after all this time. i finally notice how fuking great tae kims guide is. so much really important stuff distilled.
>>
>>17641869
tae kims is better than most textbooks but awful if you think about how many easy ways in which it could be improved dramatically
>>
>>17641014
>No, you did. By using "dorama," you are singling out Japanese dramas for being exotic. Period.
No I wasn't. You are fucking delusional on top of being a complete spacker.

I'm not wasting a second longer dealing with your retarded autism.
>>
>>17637303
I only do ten words a day. I'm not very smart so it's hard but any progress is better than none.
>>
>>17641900
Denying what you've done doesn't change it.
>>
>>17641903
I used to do 20 words a day for over a year, then I stopped and now I only do 10 words a day and my retention is the same percentage... it's more a matter of time spent than a total number of words a person can pick up in a day.
>>
i just finished baller sky dive 2 today it only took me 6 months and to celebrate im gonna watch some doramas for epic win
>>
>>17641926
don't you mean baller sky dive part 2
>>
>>17640624
That image is misleading. "Students with kanji knowledge" pretty much just means "Chinese" since Koreans hardly use Chinese characters anymore and pretty much nobody else outside of Japan and China uses them at all.

If we know we're talking about Chinese people, we can start to take into consideration other more important factors besides kanji, such as the fact that 60% of Japanese vocabulary is loaned from Chinese.
>>
>>17641926
How was it?
>>
How do Japanese sort things in kana? My file browser, media player, and phone all handle it differently for some reason.
>あ、か、さ、ア、カ、サ
>あ、ア、か、カ、さ、サ、
And another doesn't make a distinction between the two.
>>
>>17641936
it was rather balling i liked it better than sky dive 1
>>
>>17641943
The latter is more normal. The first is baby's first unicode sorting algorithm.
>>
>>17641821
I never got this meme. I always thought it's some faggot who wants to farm (You)'s from people pointing out how retarded he is, but it got more widespread.
>>
>>17641943
い、ろ、は、に、ほ、へ、と、ち、り、ぬ、る、を、わ、か、よ、た、れ、そ、つ、ね、な、ら、む、う、ゐ、の、お、く、や、ま、け、ふ、こ、え、て、あ、さ、き、ゆ、め、み、し、ゑ、ひ、も、せ、す
>>
>>17641926
Took me 47 days to read both parts and my play time was like ~210 hours, what a godly game
>>
>>17640895
Yes.
Learn about the difference between notes, cards, and how cards are created from notes based on the card types you've defined:

https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#the-basics
>>
>>17641943
The first way is the easy way to sort things (for computers), because you can just sort by the Unicode code point.
The second way is prettier, but probably needs extra logic (and programmers are lazy, so unless it's a requirement, we'll implement it the first way)
>>
>>17642109
That's missing the point of the question.
Even if you sort by Iroha-order, you still need to decide if you do all Hiragana first and then Katakana, or if you alternate them.
>>
What would be the best way to go about downloading all the manga from the CoR as to have an offline backup? I know the LNs have a google drive where you can easily download everything, but the mangas are a cluster of mega links (which I am thankful for).
>>
おはようおにいちゃん

たいへん

地震だよ
>>
>>17642312
Paste all the links into JDownloader and let it take care of the rest
>>
よっしゃ~女の腹を殴ろう
ってアカンで逮捕されて無理やなぁ
>>
>>17642318
海に沈んでいいよ
>>
その反応からして、君と聖歌隊との関係はシロ寄りとみてよさそうだ
What is "シロ寄り" ?
>>
>>17642603
if you cant figure that out how can you read the rest of it and everything else in whatever youre reading
>>
File: yvqspieyb2mz.jpg (63KB, 640x766px) Image search: [Google]
yvqspieyb2mz.jpg
63KB, 640x766px
>Nips have to say the word "nuance" in katakana
HA
>>
>>17639081
To be fair, she was speaking in utter gibberish, so nothing of value was lost.
>>
>>17642857
Babepe ba be pabedabedoobo baddabeebo boop bebop!
>>
File: 1493885575414.jpg (34KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493885575414.jpg
34KB, 400x400px
>>17642780
What's this from?
>>
>>17642857
Link it
>>
>>17642303
I don't get what you mean by "prettier". The order decided on by the Unicode Consortium should be the once-and-for all way to sort kana, lest we return to the dark ages of いろは。
>>
File: どげざsuper.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
どげざsuper.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>17642231
Thanks for the response, will do
>>
The downside of comprehensible input is that I find myself just ignoring grammar and letting the context take care of it for me whenever possible.

How to stop being a lazy reader?
>>
>>17642885
By reading more. Context is exactly how grammar actually works.
>>
>>17642885
The way I fight this is sometimes, I will make sure to be more attentive to grammar and the meaning of what is being said. This is more of "active reading study." Other times I will notice things I may not know, but let them slide because of "fun" reading time.
>>
>>17642871
https://youtu.be/WgXWc2PbK_U

More specifically, she was speaking a badly mangled mishmash of English loanwords and similar-sounding Japanese phrases.
>>
I'm still getting the Anki time error, it says my clock is off by about 3 hours but I swear it's correct, what should I do?
>>
>>17642962
Post a bug report yelling at Anki's dev for implementing such a malicious "feature".
>>
>>17642962
What OS?
>>
>>17642603
シロはNot guilty

クロはguiltyだよ

がんばれおにいちゃん
>>
File: kill_me_baby_029_yasuna.png (269KB, 511x574px) Image search: [Google]
kill_me_baby_029_yasuna.png
269KB, 511x574px
I've done my reps for the day. Feels good, man.

Only missed two days in the past 3 months, and that only because I did them too late.

/blog
>>
>>17642962
I've had my clock wrongly set back an hour for the past year to address the same error, though there's probably a better way to fix it.
>>
>>17642980
Well, you don't seem to be responding, so:

Linux - go here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ntpd

Windows - don't really know, but have to tried telling Windows to synchronise the time with the internet?

Mac - fuck knows
>>
File: Capture.png (120KB, 709x358px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
120KB, 709x358px
>>17642988
>missing days
>>
>>17642980
windows 8, could try installing it on my linux partition
>>17642965
This is a good idea, it should be an option to sync stuff, not mandatory
>>17642992
That's a good idea, I could fake that data
>>17642998
sorry for being slow
>>
>>17643005
Nice!! I want to reach 100%, too.

One time, I procrastinated too long and only did them after the clock ticked over to the next Anki day, the other time I mistakenly believed I had already done my reps.

Do you use Anki for stuff besides Japanese-learning, too?
>>
>>17643006
>windows 8, could try installing it on my linux partition
Do you have a dualboot set-up?

If so, I think I might know what the problem is. Did you make sure to set Linux to use localtime or Windows to use UTC? Windows uses localtime by default, whereas Linux uses UTC, so if you have both installed on the same machine then the clock gets fucked up because they both keep messing with it. You need to either tell Linux to use localtime for the clock or Windows to use UTC for the clock.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dual_boot_with_Windows#Time_standard
>>
>>17643005
>1 year
Now show us your deck life graph.
>>
OSってなに?
>>
File: $_$.png (63KB, 696x367px) Image search: [Google]
$_$.png
63KB, 696x367px
>>17643027
not him but
>missing days
>>
>>17643029
「オペレーティング・システム」の略だよ

Windowsとか
>>
>>17643042
な、なんだってー!?
>>
File: QCSM0tT.gif (1MB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
QCSM0tT.gif
1MB, 600x337px
>>17643027
I stopped doing Anki a few hundred reviews in for no reason and let it sit for like 3 months. My stats are kind of skewed because of that.
>>
File: screen.png (166KB, 684x735px) Image search: [Google]
screen.png
166KB, 684x735px
>>17643027
not him but is this bad or good
>>
にちようびなのに

たいふう

なにしてすごせばいいのかな
>>
File: steve.png (84KB, 246x288px) Image search: [Google]
steve.png
84KB, 246x288px
I'm considering going full steve mode and dropping anki completely. No more mining or flashcards, just reading and listening. Has anyone tried this?
>>
>>17642988
The anime didn't really capture much of my interest, but have you read the manga and is it better than the adaptation? Kill Me Baby, that is.

>>17643005
I've missed two days in the past 160 odd days. Once right in the beginning and the second last week, due to falling asleep during reviews and waking up past the reset time. Feels kind of annoying having those two gaps in the data.
>>
>>17643125
yeah it's not very fast but it's technically working
>>
>>17643127
>but have you read the manga and is it better than the adaptation?
I haven't, but I've been planning to because I like manga's artstyle. Makes for good reaction images, too.
>>
File: 777.png (72KB, 699x345px) Image search: [Google]
777.png
72KB, 699x345px
>>17643127
That's why you should finish Anki before you brush your teeth in the morning and also not have a job.
>>
>>17643125
I did for a few months before going back to Anki because I was looking up the same words too often and it bugged me. Regret not reviewing vocab while reading for that period but it wasn't like the reading was a waste.
>>
>>17643140
Where's all the red? What did you do to have such impressive retention?
>>
>>17643138
The series is on my reading list but damn, it takes a lot of time to read through series. If only we could access a NEET chamber like the training room where time moves slower, in Dragon Ball Z.

>>17643140
>777 days
Holy shit. Not bad at all, anon.
>>
>>17643151
I did RTK before starting, make mnemonics for word readings and read 4+ hours a day
>>
おにいちゃん

あたし箱舟にのれるかな
>>
>>17643125
Me, though I'm still within the first few months of reading so I don't know how much my opinion is worth.

I decided not to do Anki because I just found it really boring and tedious to the point where it made me not want to learn Japanese. I'm definitely learning words without it, but no doubt not as fast as I would be with Anki. Kanji adds a certain amount of difficulty to the equation since you not only have to remember what words mean but also how to actually say them, and without sufficient exposure it can be quite hard to do.

Whether or not me not using Anki is hurting my progress is hard to say. If I were using Anki, it might be the case that I'd be learning vocab faster, but it would almost certainly also be the case that I'd be spending a lot less time actually reading and listening to Japanese as a result. The boredom and tedium of doing Anki may even drive me to just give up which would certainly not be good for my progress.
>>
付和雷同
三半規管
Some 四字熟語 just sound great.
>>
>>17643324
さんはんきかんは

4もじだけど

ちょっとちがうよ

単三電池みたいな
>>
>>17643015
Windows is set to utc, linux is at deafult
>>
>>17643365
Hmm...

What Linux distro are you using? IIRC, Ubuntu (presumably its derivatives too) automatically sets itself to localtime if it detects Windows installed on the same system, so if you're using Ubuntu you might've actually created a problem for yourself when you set Windows to UTC since Ubuntu is probably using localtime.

If you're not on Ubuntu, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe you've set Windows and Linux to use different timezones? If that's not it, then I really don't know.

Oh, and you didn't answer when I asked before. Is your Windows set to synchronise its time with the internet? That's something else to try if it isn't.
>>
>>17643391
I'm using Bunsen which is derived off of Debian, hmmh so I may have created the issue. Windows is set to think time off the internet. Thanks for all your help!
>>
18ごうおそいー

まだ鹿児島だってー
>>
>>17641276
It's likely that I have no idea how much time I have spent studying. I am lazy so I always skip days and sometimes weeks, and it's only then that I set a couple hours aside for studying. My reasonable estimate for my time spent was actually only an hour a day. Also, I was able to pass the N2 sample tests now, so I guess my more likely statistic is 800 hours for N2.
>>
File: 1501033895137.jpg (34KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
1501033895137.jpg
34KB, 600x560px
>>17640624
I studied like 200 hours and 70% of that is just Kanji study. And I'm around high N3~low N2
>>
can someone please explain the Kira Kira song, by kishidan, to me? I've read the translation of the lyrics but it makes no sense
>>
>>17643753
1 is faggier than the other otherwise dont worry about it
if youre not able to google the difference between them then id worry about more practical things
also core is a hunka shit
>>
>>17643769
Which one is gayer to use?
>>
>>17643776
ゆく
>>
>>17643788
ありがとう
>>
たいふうでそとへいけないので

おふろで

おせんたくする

はやくもうふとかだして

くさいから
>>
>>17643719
have a (you) and tell me your secret
>>
おふろでおせんたくすると

なんかうきうきする
http://sumai-kobako.jp/archives/3765
>>
File: 1502968122431.png (719KB, 579x761px) Image search: [Google]
1502968122431.png
719KB, 579x761px
>>17643838
no secret, i just cheated because i already knew a lot of grammar
>>
>>17643852
ここはお風呂ないとできない
残念無念
>>
File: 9305468_01L.jpg (78KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
9305468_01L.jpg
78KB, 300x300px
なぜattackなのかは

だれもしらないけど

にほんのせんざいは

アタックだよ

Annkiしてね
>>
>>17643882
汚れは敵だよ

だからアタック

せんざいばんざい

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ79TujhnQM
>>
>>17643873
おふろがない

おふろがなかったら

汗どうするの?

かかないの?
>>
>>17643157
Oh shit so RTK works?
>>
>>17643998
日本人によって外人と野蛮人は同じものです
もちろん、ぼくもシャワーとお風呂を入りせず、本物の汚く外人です
>>
File: reviewcount.jpg (99KB, 687x352px) Image search: [Google]
reviewcount.jpg
99KB, 687x352px
>>17644154
I think it was more likely the 4 hours per day that he was reading.
I also did RTK for roughly 2000 kanji and I don't read nearly as much since I just don't have time. This graph is the result. As you can see I'm going at about half the pace that he was going and my relearn is a bit higher. It would be interesting to see the results of someone who hasn't done RTK at all.
>>
File: kanji.jpg (409KB, 1174x1600px) Image search: [Google]
kanji.jpg
409KB, 1174x1600px
is it even possible to find Kanji books for kids in electronic formats? I wanted to try give it a go inspired by a story of a guy from /vr/'s jp thread

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/311212639443?chn=ps&dispItem=1
I canno afford buying all that and shipping it from Japan to my shithole
>>
>>17644208
>It would be interesting to see the results of someone who hasn't done RTK at all.

right there>>17643035 because I didn't
all i've done is a radical deck with handwriting them, and I brute force everything using no mnemonics
only read for an hour and a half a day, sometimes 2
>>
>>17644175
違う。
"外人"とは"日本国以外の人々"の事を言う。
悪口の意味で言う人はいない。
>>
>>17644255
Could you please post review count so we can compare similar things? :3
Actually... another weird thing I've noticed with Anki is that no matter what, my retention is always around 90% -- whether I was going at 20 cards a day or 10 -- which corresponds to the grades that I used to get in school. That's probably a weird coincidence, but who knows.
>>
File: @[email protected] (65KB, 684x339px) Image search: [Google]
@_@.png
65KB, 684x339px
>>17644303
>>
>>17644314
>594 reviews/day on average
>654 days in a row
That's incredible... and your the graph looks really pretty too. I like how all of the lines are basically the same shape. My shit is all kinds of wonky from going hard and then backing off.
>>
>>17644208
>>17644314
>26 months
>21 months
You guys know Japanese now...r-right?
>>
>>17644341
I know more than most people outside of japan(yay wow great cheevo, beating thirsty eops)
and i know about 2% of natives in japan. Maybe 3%
>>
File: 1505224374568.png (720KB, 684x520px) Image search: [Google]
1505224374568.png
720KB, 684x520px
>>17644341
hahaha
>anki
You already know the answer. :)
i.e. I don't know anything.
t. 26 month guy.
However, I am currently watching 古見さん pretty comfortably ;)
>>
what is 芽吹く淡い恋心 ?
>>
>>17644371
The feeling that comes to like a person springs up.
>>
>>17644368
>:)
>;)
Its probably not the fault of anki. You are just retarded.
>>
>>17644377
I don't understand 淡い恋心
>>
>N3 certified
>4 years later, I've forgotten everything because i had to learn fuck tons of programming language for college
>Graduates, plans on starting from scratch

What's the best way for a self learner to do this? Is tae kim still any good?
>>
I don't see why people make a deal out of not being fluent in X time.
Yeah, sure, you're never gonna be fluent if you keep going at a snail's pace, but I don't see how trying to make a race out of it will help either.
If you're not "fluent" after 2 years, who cares? If English isn't your first language, I bet you weren't in a rush to become "fluent" in that either, yet you're here so you've probably done fine without actively studying it and setting up goals.
>>
>>17644476
Being able to understand english was a side effect of browsing the internet.
>>
>>17644497
Then being able to understand Japanese will be a side effect of consuming Japanese media and entertainment and how fast you become fluent is tied to how much you read and listen. Enjoy it at a pace that feels natural to you rather than going out of your way to consume media you don't like or care about and thinking of it in terms of "it's been X time, but I'm still not fluent."
If some madmen can become fluent in less than a year while it takes others several years and they're still working on it then it should be pretty clear that there's no amount of time by which you're expected to be fluent.
>>
>>17644402
I think 恋 is not love.

maybe...
>>
>>17644417
I found that reading imabi enabled me to pick up where I had left after experiencing similar circumstances. I had actually studied linguistics during my time so I was able to understand imabi easily.
>>
>>17644476

Because people have an easier time dealing with concrete timeframes, mostly. "You should be fluent in x years" is obvious and clear and something a person can set as their goal, whereas the more accurate "You should be fluent eventually as long as you keep at it" is vague and even disheartening.
>>
>>17644533
Personally I would actually be more disheartened by having a soft time limit imposed on me. I interpret a time limit, even if it's generous, as "if you've been studying X long and still haven't become fluent then you're doing something horribly wrong and you'll never be fluent."
Obviously if you're just doing 5 new cards in anki a day and never read anything you'll be at it for 10+ years and arguably never be fluent, but a time limit at all feels discouraging.
English isn't my native language and yet I'm fluent at it now. Sure, my native language is closely related to English and I've had tons of exposure, but even then I never actively studied the language outside of school and I have very little concrete knowledge of HOW English works, I simply know what sounds natural and what doesn't.
Japanese is extremely different from English and does require active studying, but I feel more encouraged knowing that if I simply keep at it I will one day achieve fluency. I don't mind if it takes 1 year or 5 as long as I achieve it eventually, because I'm not in a rush.
>>
>>17642872
I mean pretty in the sense that people don't care about whether something is spelled in Katakana or Hiragana when they look for it in a list.
They know the word starts with "ka"for example, so they scroll to where the words with ka start. If you sort by unicode order, か and カ aren't next to each other, so you have two places where you need to look.
>>
>>17642962
Your clock might show the right time, but the time zone is probably wrong, so try fixing that?
>>
>>17644476
Maybe anons feel that they have wasted so much of their life already so they want to see the fruits of their efforts sooner rather than later.
Maybe that's just me.
>>
>>17644604
>>17644604
If they wanna see fruit from effort they should plant a peach tree. It grows in roughly just a year.
はいはい突っ込んでどうぞ
>>
>>17643489
I don't think Debian sets itself to localtime. Ubuntu is derived from Debian, but they are different projects with different ideologies.

All I can recommend now is that you either try reporting it as a bug to the Anki devs or see if you can turn anything up via Google.

>Thanks for all your help!
No problem, but it doesn't seem like I was able to help you in the end, so I don't know if I deserve any thanks.
>>
Is it weird to ask a person who just introduced himself/herself how is his/her name written?
>>
File: 1481125889692.jpg (42KB, 712x712px) Image search: [Google]
1481125889692.jpg
42KB, 712x712px
Why don't any grammar resources out there mention that the わ sentence ending particle is gender-neutral in some dialects?
>>
>>17644662
Because they're worried you might try and use it and get it totally wrong.
>>
>>17644662
Because it doesn't really matter. You don't need to make it more complicated for beginners than it needs to be. Imagine a section like:
"わ is a feminine sentence-final particle... except in dialects X Y and Z. で means よ in some dialects. や means だ in some dialects. じゃ means だ in some dialects. Also even though ない is the standard conjugation for negation, the Kansai dialect uses へん."
And then image a beginner reads that somewhere and suddenly they might try using it and you get something like:
私はアメリカ人じゃ、アニメ好きだわ (わ with rising intonation)

You just need to understand the standard dialect until you're actually ready to take on regional differences in speech. There's no point making it harder for beginners or make them think they can just use any sentence-final particles from any dialect just because they know about it.
>>
>>17644660
no

(source: I watch anime, which is a realistic representation of real life, so I don't actually know)
>>
おなかすいた

カレーたべたい
>>
>>17644689
It seems like manly わ is a lot more common than those other things though, judging by what media I've consumed so far. It's a Tokyo thing, right?
>>
DJTは日本語をよく勉強しているにしては下手だ
>>
>>17644757
I dunno about that. It might just be a recent trend regardless of dialect, but I know for a fact it's gender neutral in the Kansai dialect and I know that the intonation must go down or else it's considered feminine.
Until you feel like you properly know how to use it you should probably avoid it.
>>
>>17643125
I did this after my first year. I'm now on my fourth year and I never looked back. I didn't notice any drop in learning speed, but it became much more enjoyable.
>>
what is the difference between ずっと and もっと
in "もっと遠く, ずっと早く"
>>
>>17644766
>にしては
>>
>>17644689
>You just need to understand the standard dialect until you're actually ready to take on regional differences in speech.
I generally agree, but the Kansai dialect has over 20,000,000 speakers and shows up commonly in Japanese media. There's also the Chuubu region with another 20,000,000 people where, from what I understand, the language is a sort of mid-way point between Kansai and Standard Japanese (though I'm not sure exactly what features it shares with the Kansai dialect). I think it's worth giving some footnotes warning people about particles which are used in both Standard Japanese and Kansai but mean different things (with a warning not to try using the Kansai versions).

The very first chapter of Yotsuba actually has a male speaker use "わ", which I'm sure confuses quite a few people.
>>
>>17644824
You could theoretically make a section specifically for regional differences but I just don't think it matters that much. In the worst case, if a beginner sees it and feel confused, they can just google it. I mean jisho for instance has it as the third result.

Either way I don't think mentioning it briefly in a grammar guide, something like "* Sidenote: わ is considered gender neutral in some dialects" is a good idea and without going in detail on it it'll just lead to both male and female speakers using it incorrectly.
>>
>>17644660
In yotsuba Fuuka tells how her name is written with Kanji. In Axanael Fuuri is asked how her name is written and she replies "katakana desu"
>>
>>17643157
>>17644208
Do you still review RTK? I still keep reviewing the deck I have for it but I feel like I could spent my time better.
>>
カレーもたべたいけど

うどんもたべたい
>>
>>17644955
カレーはいいな

うどんを食べたことないけど
>>
File: 1482667869871.jpg (75KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482667869871.jpg
75KB, 720x720px
>>17644781
>
>>
じゃあ食べたいことの件で関西弁を学んでる人として僕はたこ焼きや
また日本に行ったら絶対に食べてみぃ
>>
>>17644979
もし香川でそれ言ったら

おにいちゃんムラハチにされるよ
>>
>>17645012
でも、イギリスのこと、うどんやというみせがない…とおもうけど

ぼくのせいじゃないよ
>>
If I pass N1, I will become fluent, right?
>>
>>17645031
たちぐいうどんもないの?

うっそー
>>
>>17645073
No, it's the other way around
>>
>>17645073
define fluent
>>
>>17644935
I kept reviewing until it was down to like 15 reviews a day, but I'd encourage you to drop it unless you care about writing and spend the time reading. My retention didn't fall after dropping it.
>>
>>17645075
まあ、そうおもうけど

ロンドンならあるかもしれない

でも、ぼく、北にすんでるんだ
>>
>>17644781
>にしては
それで、日本人はわかる。
>くせに
これの方が、4chanにふさわしい。
>>
>>17645099
やってみよう

つくってみよう
>>
>>17645073
You don't magically go from non-fluent to fluent because a test result says so. Furthermore, the JLPT only tests your Japanese knowledge. Simply knowing how a language and its grammar works doesn't equate to fluency any more than knowing how to lose weight makes you actually lose weight.
>>
>>17645131
のに
の方がいかがでしょうか
>>
>>17644554
setting it to an incorrect timezone and then manually adjusting the clock to my real time fixed it. Thanks.

>>17644658
You still put in effort into helping a stranger and that deserves thanks

This is a stupid feature
>>
>>17645137
>つくってみよう
中国の品物の店で材料を買うことができると思うかい?
>>
>>17645145
>のに
それはまだ上品だと思う。
>>
>>17645145
そりゃ4chan奴らには丁寧すぎやろ
>>
>>17645073
Yes you will. Cheat the test, fluency awaits!
>>
彼女が欲しい
>>
>>17645161
にほんのうどんも

だいたいがいこくの小麦だよ
>>
>>17645207
腹パン彼女が欲しいねん!
>>
>>17645213
でも、調味料や煮出汁も必要じゃないか

にほんてきのをかうことができるかな…
>>
File: o_o.jpg (68KB, 640x610px) Image search: [Google]
o_o.jpg
68KB, 640x610px
はい皆さんその場を動かないで

騒音問題で散々苦情が来てるから

今日はもう終了

みんなおとなしく解散 いいね
>>
>>17645188
This is true. I passed N1 and the letter with the certificate included a booklet with the secret to japanese fluency.
It's actually quite simple, but I can't tell you more because they'll know and send their ninjas after me.
>>
>>17644417
>I've forgotten everything
You haven't really forgotten, it's all dormant. Try to read a VN or two, you'll be at the same point you left it at.
>>
>>17640624
Only 3000 hours? I've played TF2 for longer than that.
>>
>>17645578
>played
More like "idling for hats" amirite?
>>
>>17645592
No, multiplayer FPSs just get people playing them for that many hours when no successor comes out for ten years.
>>
>>17644662
sakubi does
>>
>>17645630
>when no successor comes out for ten years.

What do you mean? Overwatch just came out last year.
>>
>>17645912
TF2's core gamemode was originally meant to be CTF before they realized that the hampered mobility caused by removing bunnyhopping and high spawn times caused by the spawn wave logic made CTF unplayable except as a glorified deathmatch. However, people still played TF2 CTF for a long time, usually on 24/7 servers with low spawn times and no cap limit, because of the glorified deathmatch nature of it. OW's CTF is nothing like that.
>>
File: 510Q0ywjOSL.jpg (57KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
510Q0ywjOSL.jpg
57KB, 500x398px
>>17645207
諦めが肝要です
>>17645263
https://www.amazon.com/Ajinomoto-Dashi-Soup-Stock-4-23/dp/B0002YB40O
>>
>>17645925
the only thing tf2 and ow have in common is they are both hunks of shit!!!
>>
>>17645986
they play completely differently anyway if you're not a payload addict so i really don't understand the comparisons
>>
how do I learn ~500 most common Kanji? RTK is too loaded, I just need it for my silly idol TV shows
>>
>>17645986
y-you take that back you baka
>>
>>17645999
Read.

Not even joking, that's how I learned them
>>
>>17645999
look at common every day things that have text on them

>>17646000
i wont im extremely butt hurt about the nature of fps in the current day
>>
Just a heads up that now that Rikaisama is not longer developed and FF will kill all old extensions that aren't WebExt compatible you should check up Yomichan which is leagues better than rikaisama's retarded brother rikaichan.
>>
>>17646047
i'm on nightly and it continues to work

when it stops working i'm just going to move to spark reader
>>
>>17646053
Rikaisama doesn't work in e10s, you have to open a new non-e10s window and still the kanji dictionary doesn't work. But if you like playing around with that shit then be my guest, just know FF said they will kill legacy completely, so it's the matter of time until you are forced to switch.
>>
>>17635512
Try Nightly, in my experience Nightly almost never breaks things and until 57 hits the vanilla, Nightly is a lot faster in general (needless to say both pages load faster and all Webext addons work faster and Yomichan IS Webext). Since switching Yomichan is very fast even on my toaster.
>>
>>17646084
I don't use e10s.
>>
>>17636781
see
>>17637209
>>
>>17646121
I would give it a try but I don't know if the tree style tab add-on will still work under Nightly and as of the present moment there is no Web Extension replacement for it which isn't complete shit. I can't imagine going back to using the internet without this add-on.
>>
Does anyone know any group on telegram where I can chat with people in Japanese?
>>
>>17646146
Nightly 04-08-2017 works (some later broke it and I rolled back, not sure if it is broken on the most recent).
What are you scared of, just uninstall Nightly if you have problems.
>>
learning to write kanji by hand YES or NO? and why?
>>
>>17646178
wait until you know japanese to some extent before you learn how to write kanji in general

you can learn about the general principles behind it but there's very little use in learning more and it slows down early studies dramatically
>>
>>17646171
>>17646146
I meant tree style tabs work, I also use that Extension.
>>
https://youtu.be/62r8m3JyEwg

is his method THE method?
>>
>>17646204
yes and no
like all AJATT related nonsense you have to ignore at least 20% of their advice
>>
>>17646209
he says to write out kanji along as you learn, idk who to trust >>17646182
also he's a big supporter of learning with rtk
>>
>>17644220
anyone?
>>
>>17646215
that's the 20% that you have to ignore

>>17644220
the general answer is no, they're generally cheap workbooks you find in random stores, you wouldn't find digital versions of those anywhere
>>
>>17646224
are they just practice of writing kanji kind of sheets? I'm more interested in the way they teach you the meaning of the kanji
I could print my own sheets
>>
>>17646215
it doesnt really matter what you do if youre skipping the human interaction part of learning the language just do whatever and with purpose and always be measuring your progress and testing yourself on what youve spent time doing and eventually you might be able to upgrade from velcro shoes to ones with laces

>>17646219
why not just look up the same kind of content that is published freely on the internet you know stuff to aid teachers
>>
>>17646047
Can yomichan hover over the text without any key input like rikaichan?
>>
>>17646219
You don't need these books. They will not be as useful as you think. You can't learn like a child that already knows the language, but doesn't know how to read or write.
>>
>>17646235
Yes, disable the "hold shift" and "hold middle mouse" options.
>>
>>17646235
>>17646250
I just noticed that pressing the right mouse button while holding the middle mouse triggers this mode without changing anything in the options.
>>
>>17646250
Thanks, I'm converted.
>>
>>17646204
I never thought I would sit through that entire video when I first came across it, but even though I hadn't read anything about AJATT at the time I ended up watching the entire thing in one sitting. His story was surprisingly interesting, particularly how in the end he regretted that he ever learned Japanese.

I tried doing AJATT after watching that video and some of his others and reading through the AJATT table of contents, but mining sentences turned out to be too much of a pain in the ass so I gave up and decided to just read and listen without using Anki instead (so basically Steve mode). The most valuable piece of advice on the AJATT site, I think, is to take it easy and do things you find fun.
>>
>>17646235
Yes, choose 'none' as the modifier key.
>>
>>17646280
note that it will act like rikaisama in sticky mode. The popup will appear on mouseover, but only go away if you click somewhere
>>
>>17646235
Yeah, but then it's a bit awkward to use, since you can't turn the equivalent of Rikaisama's 'sticky mode' off.
Supposedly it will get resolved in next version.
>>
>>17646303
its actually a display of high intelligence to do things you find enjoyable instead of spending your life doing things that you hate

unfortunately time flies when youre having fun though and itll all be over before you know it
>>
How to find Japanese person on line who're wiling to speak to me?
>>
>>17646308
see
>>17646317
I think the commit that fixes it is already done, we just have to wait till it gets rolled out in the next update.
>>
>>17644543
Well that's easy to account for, if you want to. The Unicode blocks for hiragana and katakana are the same size, and each character is in the same position, so you can just do a list zip and flatten, or otherwise transliterate everything into hiragana internally for sorting purposes. Still, from an informational perspective, there is a good reason why the consortium arranged things the way they did. Users of Latin languages have to deal with the same thing with upper and lower cases.
>>
>>17645372
Nah, don't worry, the government cut the fluency ninjas from the budget last year.
>>
>>17646323
shill yourself on popular japanese imageboards
>>
>>17646323
Use HelloTalk and fish yourself a gaijin hunter
>>
>>17646481
How do they feel about 黒人?
>>
>>17646327
Just read the issue on github. Looks good.
Any /g/entooman here willing to compile the .xpi from current dev branch? I don't want to wait who knows how long for a new update or to learn how to compile linux shit on Windows just to do one quick compile.
inb4
>winbaby
Yeah, and a retard too boot.
>>
>>17646559
>t. winbaby
>>
>>17646625
Yeah, and a retard too boot.
>>
>>17646514
>黒人
Professionals? Women in the nightlife business?
>>
>>17644662
Because Japanese Wikipedia does a well enough job doing this.
>>
>>17644662
Dude, most of them claim using 俺 makes you an asshole. Don't trust them.
>>
>わたしを好きな、わたしの先輩
What is を doing here?
>>
>>17646818
the same thing you can find in a dictionary
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/70l3d7/does_anyone_have_a_good_website_where_i_could_get/dn4rsm3/

>The benefit of Genki isn't solely in the fact that it has the grammar points. It is the grammar exercises, the listening comprehension, the reading comprehension, and the overall practice you get tailored to your level.

You're **100% right** that Tae Kim is worse than Genki for not including stuff like this. But if I had to say whether it's a problem, I wouldn't say so. Genki doesn't contain enough practice reading/listening material to make anything sink in this much.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely good that the practice passages in Genki are there, and it's one of the things you'd be buying it for. But it's not so important that lacking it ruins Tae Kim. Tae Kim warns against not finding and consuming real Japanese in the introduction, which I quote at the bottom of this post.

But that just means that recommending Tae Kim has to come with a warning that you need to personally look for practice material a lot earlier than if you were using a textbook, or something with the same effect. Tae Kim does say this in his guide's introduction, but people seem to gloss over it, including people that use it, so I understand the problem.

>All to often I see people just say they read Tae Kim or the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar or something like that, yet they can't actually properly comprehend sentences in the wild and certainly can't create proper sentences because they've had no actual practice.

Probably the hardest sentiment to elaborate on because it's an anecdote with a lot of implications.

This happens no matter what resource people use. It's entirely common to see people with very weird ideas about things because of whatever Genki, Minna no Nihongo, or JSL don't cover, just like with Tae Kim. Nobody's going to have complete proper comprehension of sentences in the wild until they've been doing it for a while, or they graduate through intermediate/advanced study resources like the Shin Kanzen Master stuff, which Genki isn't part of. Both resources "talk at you", Genki just talks at you in more ways.

Is that bad? Not really. Nobody will have proper comprehension until they're fluent, and Genki and Tae Kim aren't supposed to bring you to that level.

Now if you're saying that Tae Kim happens to produce more "bad learners", that's true, but it's true because Tae Kim is the go-to resource for people who decide to learn Japanese but can't commit (e.g. young weebs), not because it turns a given person into a "bad learner".

It might be because of the niches I'm in, but I know more people on a personal level that "successfully" learned Japanese with Tae Kim and copious reading than people who did it with Genki. That's not saying that Tae Kim is better than Genki, that's subjective, just that they both work.

As long as you avoid beginner's grammar resources that are obviously bad guides (like Ixrec's), choosing a different one isn't going to change that much. They're different in subtle ways, not huge ones. Just like how Genki covers から as vocabulary instead of grammar, Tae Kim has terrible explanations of に and が. You can argue that either one of those problems is worse than the other. At the end of the day, they both cover enough to get your foot in the door.

>Furthermore, they can often think they have understood something, but be completely off the ball since there is no "answer guide" when reading Japanese material.

This is going to be true no matter what your grammar guide is. Genki has answer guides, but does it guide you through every bit of language in its reading passages? Not really.

Japanese material doesn't have an answer guide, you're entirely right about that, but that's a problem both Genki and Tae Kim have. If you do *just* the given resource, Genki will leave you off with a deeper familiarity with reading/listening than Tae Kim will, but that's what you get by paying for it. It's not like Tae Kim won't work just because it stops giving exercises and doesn't have reading/listening passages. You just have to make up for what you're losing when you use a free resource instead of a commercial one.

Or if you're learning through compelling content then you don't have anything to make up here in the first place, because you don't need an answer key to enjoy a good story and everything else follows as a matter of human nature.
>>
>>17646942
>Here's my advice for practicing Japanese: if you find yourself trying to figure out how to say an English thought in Japanese, save yourself the trouble and stop because you won't get it right most of the time. You should always keep in mind that if you don't know how to say it already, then you don't know how to say it. Instead, if you can, ask someone how to say it in Japanese including a full explanation of the answer and start practicing from Japanese. **Language is not a math problem; you don't have to figure out the answer. If you practice from the answer, you will develop good habits** that will help you formulate correct and natural Japanese sentences.

>This is why I'm a firm believer of learning by example. Examples and experience will be your main tools in mastering Japanese. Therefore, even if you don't understand something completely the first time, just move on and keep referring back as you see more examples. This will allow you to get a better sense of how it's used in many different contexts. **Even this guide will not have all the examples to cover every situation. But lucky for you, Japanese is everywhere, especially on the web. I recommend practicing Japanese as much as possible and referring to this guide only when you cannot understand the grammar.**

>The Internet alone has a rich variety of reading materials including websites, bulletin boards, and online chat. Buying Japanese books or comic books is also an excellent (and fun) way to increase your vocabulary and practice reading skills. **It's also important to keep in mind that it is impossible to learn good speaking and listening skills without actually conversing in Japanese.** Practicing listening and speaking skills with fluent speakers of Japanese is a must if you wish to master conversational skills. While audio listening material can be very educational, there is nothing better than interacting with a real human for learning pronunciation, intonation, and natural conversation flow. If you have specific questions that are not addressed in this guide, you can ask them on my online forum at http://www.guidetojapanese.org/forum.

(from TK's introduction, emphasis mine, original emphasis removed)

And if you have problems with TK's actual explanations, there are plenty of (equally cost-free) alternatives with the same philosophy: Imabi, Pomax, even Sakubi.
>>
Total beginner here, I read Sakubi and what confuses me is constant reminding of "not memorize this". Shouldn't I memorize at least some basic structures so I get some basic construct while trying to read stuff? At this point when I'm trying to read I'm able to get very simple sentences but throw something in there and I'm bloody lost.
>>
>>17646959
Reading is how you memorize stuff. Of course, if you're struggling, go ahead and review what you're struggling with, just don't memorize it because it's in Sakubi, memorize it because you have to know it to read what you're reading. The memorization warnings are to make sure people don't fall in the "use your beginner's textbook forever and never get beyond it because you haven't mastered it yet" trap.
>>
File: 1493549549685.png (262KB, 528x501px) Image search: [Google]
1493549549685.png
262KB, 528x501px
>>17646942
>The benefit of Genki isn't solely in the fact that it has the grammar points. It is the grammar exercises, the listening comprehension, the reading comprehension, and the overall practice you get tailored to your level.
>grammar exercises
>>
>>17646996
i know right
>>
>>17646942

are you responding to a reddit post on 4chan??
>>
>>17646942
>>17646947
あなたがそこまで言うなら爆笑
>>
>>17647016
Yeah.
>>
>>17647019
let me fix that for you
ワロタ
>>
>>17647023

Ok... keep us posted on any further responses to posts from other websites
>>
アイドルの幹ちゃんみたいにかっこよく成功させたら 私は新しい学校で友達がいっぱい!いっぱい!いっぱい!できる!
What exactly does this させたら mean? Could it be understood as "if someone lets me succeed looking like idol miki and cool looking, then"
Is the causative conditional something which is appearing often in japanese?
>>
>>17647035
成功させる
subject makes someone 成功
成功させたら
if subject makes someone 成功
japanese is not a code language, grammar and logic are tightly related
>>
>>17647045
Yeah, I am sorry. I kind just suck at this grammar shit
>>
>>17646828
I know what を usually does, but why is it connecting an adjective to a noun here?
>>
>>17647024
あなたがそう言うなら爆笑
>>
>>17647023
どうしてですか
>>
>>17647214
are you sure its the wo you actually are having trouble with here
>>
>>17647214
好き comes from 好く, what's psychologically happening here is that the を forces わたし inside 好く before it becomes the na-adjective 好き

it's considered incorrect in formal grammar but nobody cares
>>
>>17647234
Where did you learn this?
>>
>>17647498
shittons of q/a sites about this very topic because i was just as confused as the person i was responding to once

imo, this is the explanation that's most acceptable to someone that wants a grammatical reason. there are multiple popular explanations for why を can replace が in intransitive scenarios, and the actual historical reason is probably different from phrase to phrase.
>>
>>17630447
How would you say "State your business" in Japanese?
>>
>>17647522
Depends on context
>>
>>17647522
僕の中に全部を出して
>>
>>17647522
あなたは何のために私たちの所にお越しくださったのですか
>>
>>17647532
It's a way of saying "Tell me why you're here"
>>
>>17647548
Thank you
>>
>>17647522
用件を聞こうか
>>
>>17647522
Trying to say phrases from English in Japanese (or any other language) is great way of teaching yourself fucked up grammar.
>>
>>17647532
I hate you.
>>
Anime fucking sucks.
>>
>>17647639
that's just you
>>
Why do Japanese radio stations play so much music? I just want to hear people talking, damn it!

It's almost always garbage too. I'm really surprised by the amount of terrible American pop songs that get played (many of which I've never even heard before). I think there might actually be more Western music than Japanese music played on Japanese radio.

The Tokyo radio stations seem to be the worst offenders. They seem to be almost nothing but music. Either that or I'm just getting unlucky at the times when I try tuning in to them.
>>
>>17647717
>Why do Japanese radio stations play so much music? I just want to hear people talking, damn it!
Funny because I say the complete opposite about American radio stations. Out of a 15 minute car ride I get maybe 2 songs amidst all the commercials, news and weather updates, and terrible joke top ten lists
>>
>>17647522
何の用?
>>
>listening to the radio in 2017
>>
>>17647731
In the UK, we have a variety of stations. There are several BBC ones, some of which are more music focused, and others which are discussion focused. BBC Radio 4 is the sort of radio station I want to find a Japanese equivalent of, but so far I've been unable to on that tunein site.

Besides the BBC stations, there are of course local stations as well which are usually a balance, playing music in between talking about local stuff and giving traffic announcements and such.

Another problem with Japanese radio I forgot to mention before is that they all seem to end at night and just play songs back to back until morning. I don't often listen to UK radio, but I'm pretty sure our stations have someone acting as a presenter 24/7.
>>
>>17647747
It's a good way of getting in some Japanese listening practice while lurking DJT or whatever.
>>
>>17647770
A Japanese version of LBC would be nice.
>>
>>17647788
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

That would indeed be nice.

Maybe there is something like that and I just haven't found it yet.
>>
>>17647747
underb&
>>
>>17647737
イミワカンナイ
>>
So did the linguist win or did the grammarian win?
>>
>>17647900
the grammarian was arguing with a strawman, so
>>
>>17647900
Fake linguist who talks about himself in the third person has never won anything in his life.
>>
>>17647906
>Fake linguist who talks about himself in the third person
So fake linguist has the mind of a young child?
>>
>>17647900
What are you referring to?
>>
>>17647909
>>17639102 but higher up
>>
勝ったよ
>>
>>17647906
The grammarian, though he proved well his autism when he went into a rage over a trifling thing and assumed samefaggotry, disappointed everyone by never replying to >>17638763.

The linguist apparently never took an issue with this unless he really talks about himself in the 3rd person and >>17641509 was him.

It's hard to say. It's too unfinished.
>>
Thoughts on hellotalk?
I can read most stuff i come across but suck at producing.
>>
>>17647970
I like the attention I get as a white male and it did help my production a bit.
>>
I'm trying to remember a word, it's like stage fright あがりじょう or something. Any ideas?
>>
>>17647996
あがり症
>>
>>17647970
I just started so I'm sure sure yet but I've been using it as motivation to look up how to use grammar or anything else I'm not familiar with. Can't be as time efficient as Anki but it feels a lot better putting stuff to use.

also just like >>17647977 said you get a lot of attention
>>
>>17647977
I'm not white, so it there any point? Should I just put an anime avatar.
>>
the best is where you talk to someone in japanese saying that youre here for english lessons and act confused while asking the japanese person if they speak english in japanese
>>
>>17648005
thanks
>>
>>17648017

Show your true colors, anon. Just look at it as a numbers game, there are bound to be a few who appreciate our melanin enriched brothers.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-18-10-31-24.png (149KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-18-10-31-24.png
149KB, 1080x1920px
lol?
>>
>>17648127
why would you lol at that
>>
>>17648138
she laughed, that's why i said lol?
>>
>>17648153
>she
>>
Anki is the most important thing for learning Japanese. You only need to read until you learn all the grammar, which only takes 6 months. Anki is vital for learning all 20,000 words you need to know.
>>
>>17648226
you have it backwards dude
>>
>>17648226
You learn words via reading, my dude.
Anki is just there to remind you of the words and their readings so you don't forget them.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-17-19-12-32.png (318KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-17-19-12-32.png
318KB, 1440x2560px
Reminder
>>
>>17648311

smart girl
>>
>>17648311
thanks for the normalfag update, if we ever decided 3dpd was suddenly worth attention this is sure to be critical information.
>>
>>17648311
I genuinely believe all phoneposters should be permanently banned.
>>
>>17648359
at the very least, a hidden tag that ID's the browser type that can be added to filters
>>
i wonder what its like to be so anal inflamed that you have to actually hide a post
>>
>>17648394
Less than to actually reply.
inb4
>the ironing
I don't claim that I'm not enraged by your shitposts.
>>
>>17648435
i mean you dont have to be enraged like we can just have a chat about the subject without immediately jumping on each other about whos mad or whatever
>>
>>17648311
>I understood everything she wrote in moonrunes
This is the journey to making it.
>>
>>17648450
Then to be honest I'm not angry, just wanted to avoid a retarded strawman.

You have to admit though that commenting seems more like something an angry person would do than clicking one button and forgetting about thee issue.
>>
>>17641515
>>17641521
It took him a year and prior to that he had classroom and fansubbing experience. Pretty quick but he's not exactly a savant. Anyone could probably pass N1 in a year if they spent 5+ hours a day reading.
>>
>>17648461
with a couple changes it would reflect how i feel about djt

>>17648473
i dont know i would think if someone truly didnt care and it didnt bother them in some way they wouldnt need to hide a post and just let it float there with all the other posts because after all a thread is what it is because of its posts and willingly hiding a post after having read it is sort of like rejecting reality imo
>>
>>17648486
>willingly hiding a post after having read it
It hides all replies, too. Anyway you can also filter by trip, filter retarded catchphrases, etc.
hownew.eu
>>
>>17648504
yeah but i didnt want to project too much on the idea that you should read all the posts
but if theres posts you dont know are there then i cant blame you for not seeing them right
>>
I always manage to get a HelloTalk convo going, but as soon as the other party starts showing interest in me and ask personal questions, I ghost them. How do I get rid of this autism?
>>
>>17648794
>How do I get rid of this autism?
弾丸
>>
>>17648794
>How do I get rid of this autism?
You don't. Stop wasting time learning production when you aren't going to use it anyways
>>
>>17648794
If you can't engage an online conversation, you'll never be able to have a real life conversation in japanese so like >>17648831 said learning production is kind of useless right now. Maybe focus instead on reading more while outside of japanese studies work on your confidence and anxiety?
>>
Post your favorite ateji
五月蝿い
Thread posts: 894
Thread images: 92

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.