[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1787

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 80

File: DJT_2.png (469KB, 1200x1154px) Image search: [Google]
DJT_2.png
469KB, 1200x1154px
Never stop Repping edition

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
http://djtguide.neocities.org/

Special /int/ FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to /a/
We'd like to. Bitch to the mods.

Previous thread: >>69547805
>>
File: 1483659189125.png (4MB, 1100x3829px) Image search: [Google]
1483659189125.png
4MB, 1100x3829px
>>69677580
Can you just go, fake-japan-kun?

>>69677156
>Should I start with manga or VN's?
VNs, easily. Text hookers make your job so much easier.

If you're looking for what VN to start with, just go to the /jp/ version of this thread and search through the images. Those Touhou obsessed fucks have some useful attributes. Pic related.
>>
>>69678170
>1787
You had one job.
>>
previous thread: http://desuarchive.org/int/thread/69614605/#69614605
>>
KAMI SAMA HAS COME TO REAP THE SINNERS
>>
File: anki-essentials-square-300.png (79KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
anki-essentials-square-300.png
79KB, 300x300px
pray for Anki deck
>>
>>69678277
I am real-japan-kun.
the picture is nice.
>>
Why does this exists when there is 2chan and JP?
>>
>>69678807
DJT /int/ is for beginners
Japanese thread /int/ is for intermediate
2chan is for high-end
2ch is endgame

is my understanding. correct me if i'm wrong
>>
File: 1473898605101.jpg (16KB, 351x329px) Image search: [Google]
1473898605101.jpg
16KB, 351x329px
>>69678876
Please don't respond to tripfags.
>>
It seems that I've come to like Anime picture more and more carelessly.
what should I do
>>
File: baransu.png (55KB, 433x332px) Image search: [Google]
baransu.png
55KB, 433x332px
>>69675275
>Have you read 平成生まれ2?
I started it recently, the picture I edited is from its first chapter. Thanks for volume 3, though, didn't have that one.
>>
File: D8.jpg (27KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
D8.jpg
27KB, 400x400px
>>69678415
>>69678483
Woah, OP, nice job erasing my thread from existence.
>>
I've been gone for a couple years, can someone give me a tl;dr on why the mods decided to move DJT to /int/?
>>
I wonder if I become ani-ota.
>>
>>69678940
>trip
Are you retarded?
>>
>>69679161
the thread was full of crossboarders from normalfag boards and perpetually off-topic

it's also on /jp/ now
>>
Is there reading material for beginners that isn't in Chinese cartoon format?
>>
>>69679234
your favorite textbook
>>
>>69679234
What do you have against chinese cartoons?
>>
>>69678628
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

ONE -THOUSAND- CARDS? WHO WOULD DO THIS TO THEMSELVES
>>
File: .png (1KB, 236x40px) Image search: [Google]
.png
1KB, 236x40px
>>69679350
back in my prime
>>
>>69679350
autism knows no bounds
>>
>>69679161
this is D-cup Japanese Thread
>>
>>69679275
Thanks, but I meant something more like normal literature

>>69679320
I don't like it because it's associated with /jp/-tier freaks and 90% of the cartoons seem to be about little girls baking cakes and singing pop songs
I like the ones that I grew up with such as i.e Silver Fang, but I wouldn't watch/read something like Bleach or Naruto or whatever otaku faggots watch

If there is something like this in text format that's easy to read, then sure, but I'd rather stay away from the moe moe kawaii~~ gay shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puIGQdTrbtQ
>>
>>69679395
>2.4 cards per second
>>
>>69679532
silver fang talks with other dogs in Japanese.
>>
>>69679532
Posts like this remind me of how many normals are here
>>
>>69679395
anon, you can't just spam the 'good' button without actually reading the card
>>
>>69679446
are you calling me autistic or him autistic?
>>
File: Help.jpg (257KB, 1408x1040px) Image search: [Google]
Help.jpg
257KB, 1408x1040px
I've been taking japanese classes since March 2015 with an old lady from japan (She is currenty 80 years old)
I really am not satisfied with my japanese, and I decided to not depend on her on acquiring knowledge like I always did.
This is my current situation:
>kanji
I know first and second grande kanjis.
Started third grade kanji this year.Will finish it probably in less than 2 months.
So I know 240 now and i'll know 440 in 2 months.
>vocabulary
Most of it is from kanji and writing books my sensei gives me.
The book I'm currently writing is Hiroko san no tanoshii nihongo. It's pretty "easy" if you take my time learning japanese in consideration but I'll admit now that I've really just slacked off this 2 years.
>grammar
Most of it from writing these books.
My sensei told me I'll start Kyokasho after finishing Hiroko 2.
What is a pretty solid strategy to use from now on?
I was thinking on finishing third grade kanji then writing those kyokasho books. (I think the reason she makes me write these books is to make me acquire vocab and grammar while reading and writing these books)
I am going to start from second grade(kyokasho) because my vocabulary is not that great.
Should I instead go for Core2k/6k?
Never did it.
I tried it for a few weeks but I didnt continue and when I came back, although I stopped the new cards my reviews were all fucked up.
Ignore any english mistakes, I'm a Brazilian.
Thanks for any help in advance.
I really am looking forwards to improving my japanese.
See image, please.
>>
>>69679532
>from the moe moe kawaii~~ gay shit

you know, i know -exactly- what you mean, my swedish friend.

However, luckily for you, most anime aimed at children is NOT moe kawaii. And if you're just getting into japanese, you're going to want to watch anime made for children, so i don't' think you'll run into the moe kawaii ugguuuu problem.
>>
>>69679680
I am not normal, I am from kc
There is difference between being otaku and being weird in general
>>
>>69679914
what's a good example anime then?
>>
>>69679860
upvoted
do you have a blog? i need to follow you asap
>>
>>69679860
What?
I'll make dinner.
Be right back.
>>
>>69680080
I meant to quote >>69679990
>>
>>69680145
He's being disrespectful. Unfortunately I'm not qualified to answer your question, but I hope you find someone here who is.
>>
File: anki kanji grid.png (113KB, 483x2489px) Image search: [Google]
anki kanji grid.png
113KB, 483x2489px
>>69679860
>I know first and second grande kanjis.
>Started third grade kanji this year.Will finish it probably in less than 2 months.
>So I know 240 now and i'll know 440 in 2 months.

what the fug
I've been learning Kanji with Core 6k for about a month and I'm at pic related, despite missing quite a few days in the beginning due to lack of routine

Get Anki and do maybe 10 new cards per day the first 3 days so that you get to know how the software works, then up the new cards to what you think you can handle (I do 20 new cards per day but consider increasing it by 5 or 10)

Read up a little about the Anki preferences aswell, i.e Steps for new cards and such

protip that might be of interest: Get the "KanjiStrokeOrders" font and replace the default Core 6k font with it, or whatever font you like
>>
>>69679983
You've never heard of doraemon or crayon shinchan?
>>
>>69679983
shugo chara is what got me into japanese learning but i already know it would turn that swedish guy off

-shrug-
>>
Has anyone gotten any emails about JET interviews? I tried asking on /jp/ but the mod and posters there are autistic and threw a tantrum about mentioning JET in a Japanese thread (God forbid!)
>>
>>69680472
I will look into this once I get to the point where I dare to try reading, thanks

>>69680535
what does -this- mean
is it like that *slaps you* youtube comments meme shit from 2008?
>>
File: mv.png (408KB, 530x498px) Image search: [Google]
mv.png
408KB, 530x498px
boku doraemon desu
>>
>>69680197
Thanks.I hope so too.
>>69680208
You learned 1608 unique kanjis in a month?
If I stick to 10 new cards per day, will it take too long?
Yes, I know...
2 years only to know 240 kanjis and some basic vocabulary and shitty grammar is something to be ashamed of.
I see that now.
But you have to see from my POV, my sensei never really asked much of me or pushed me or anything.I can't blame her, she's 80 years old.
But I am more than willing to have a constant schedule study session with japanese.
What about this:
I'll finish the Hiroko book.There is just 60 pages left. I can finish in less than 2 weeks.
Then I'll finish my third grade kanji.
And I'll start Core 2k/6k Anki everyday.
But the thing is, this core 2k/6k I'll only do it at my home. What can I do at my sensei's school? The kyokashou books?
That might be a good idea, right?
Anki core 2k/6k at home and writing books at school.
>>
In core 2k/6k, I'm trying to set my Hint field to "<needs hint>" for all cards in the deck that have Vocabulary-Kanji as a duplicate to some other card in the deck.

Is it possible to do this programmatically?
>>
>>69680671
what does what mean, shugo chara?

or have you really not seen an emote before?

do swedish people not roleplay or something?
>>
File: Outplayed.jpg (257KB, 1757x1746px) Image search: [Google]
Outplayed.jpg
257KB, 1757x1746px
>>69680560
Can i ask you something anon?

You have a BACHELOR'S Degree

Why are you doing JET when you could be doing post graduate study in japan?

You have far more freedom in post graduate study.
>>
>>69680812
The pay is ok (you actually get paid more than the actual teachers) but I'm doing it because I like teaching, I like Japan, and I like children.

Your rent is also subsidized so you're only paying the equivalent of like $100 per month for your apartment.

It's a pretty chill life, 1-5 years of getting paid and not having to pay very much all while learning Japanese through immersion. Not to mention that if you're American (which I obviously am) then you don't have to pay American taxes while you're working in Japan, and your Japanese taxes are largely returned to you upon leaving the country.

But again, the money isn't really what matters to me. It is something to consider though, the fact that it's basically free money with absurdly low living expenses.
>>
>>69680961
you really underestimate how shit being a JET actually is

i hope to god your experience doesn't ruin your perception of japan. reply to this post in 5 years and we'll catch up
>>
>>69680703
No he only learned the red ones, ~240, and learned in this context means "be able to read a word that contains this kanji". Not saying that's bad or anything, though they could have learned more in 1 month.

If you want to learn Japanese then you need to learn words and to read.
>>
>>69681030
Have you been in JET? Everyone I've asked about it who actually did it said it was an awarding experience, albeit it required effort since you are, in many cases, actually creating lesson plans for children. (I have training in that so the fact doesn't bother me).
>>
>>69680703
No, I learnt the ones that are red/yellow/orange marked, i.e +200.
In total I've learnt 328 cards this month (though not all are sticking yet).
If you do like 50 - 60 new cards per day then you can get close to 1500 kanji per month, it's probably doable but I wouldn't attempt it because I'm scared of poor retention.

Regretting the time you spent at the class won't do any good, instead of viewing it as a waste of time you can see it as a very very very long preparation for more serious learning.

Right now I'm not very organized so I'm just doing Anki at home every day, multiple times during the day (my steps are 1 10 30 180), and trying to get through Tae Kim's grammar (because I couldn't be arsed to check other grammars aside from Genki and Genki seemed like it wouldn't work well outside of a uni class or whatever) right now, I wouldn't say that I have even elementary knowledge of Japanese so I can't really help you out too much.

I've studied Serbo-Croatian at home before (I'm actually still studying it, though Japanese is my priority) aswell as studying Russian in educational environments, so I think I have an okay idea of how you should go about learning languages though.
Personally I'll probably be upping my cards to about 30 per day, since I am NEET and have unlimited free time, and focus a lot more on learning grammar using Tae Kim's grammar guide (it seems good enough, you can also check Imabi), then try reading (and do more grammar and grinding)

Also this >>69681102
I should have learnt way more, but as I mentioned I missed quite a few days, it's only in the last two weeks or so that I've managed to make a proper routine out of it and now I do it every day with no exceptions (because missing a day of Anki means extraordinary suffering).
Another point that can be made is that it's indeed just reading practice, I don't write the Kanji out even though I have the Kanji stroke orders font, if you care about that then you'll need to invest more time.
>>
File: 46706681.gif (75KB, 576x668px) Image search: [Google]
46706681.gif
75KB, 576x668px
jumbo jet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEuZPTWLDM8
>>
>>69681315
To clarify I don't care too much about handwriting right now since I don't personally have any need whatsoever to be able to write properly before I can actually read Japanese content (or even after that), hence I don't care about learning stroke orders and handwriting styles.

I found that generally I'm able to guess the correct stroke order after just having read this page, though there are obviously exceptions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_order
In general if you want to learn stroke order properly then you probably have to grind radicals aswell, not for me right now.
>>
>>69680961
>I like children
How old are the kids you work with? Do you mix with all the classes, or stick with one class?
>>
>>69681661
My personally? I've worked with all age groups.

JET generally places you in multiple schools with varying age groups as well, is what I'm told by people who've done it. You go to a different school each day of the week, it's that kind of thing.
>>
File: animetypes.jpg (224KB, 1850x700px) Image search: [Google]
animetypes.jpg
224KB, 1850x700px
>>69679532
>I don't like it because it's associated with /jp/-tier freaks and 90% of the cartoons seem to be about little girls baking cakes and singing pop songs
Always related.
>>
File: 137387232419.jpg (177KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
137387232419.jpg
177KB, 500x465px
>>69679860
>almost 2 years
>240 kanji
Do you know the tale of the 1001 nights?
This old lady will probably die if she ever stops teaching you Japanese, so she is making it in the slowest way possible so she can outlive you.
>>
>>69681792
>that pic
What am I when I watch around 30 shows a season and don't have a waifu?
>>
File: aaaaan.jpg (88KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaan.jpg
88KB, 640x360px
anime otaku
>>
>>69681916
I actually loled.
I'll start anki and study everyday 20 new cards per day.
Thanks a lot >>69681441
>>69681315 for your replies.
What happens if I not manage to use anki in a certain day? Can I "freeze" it If I know I won't be able to study in that day
>>
>>69679860
What's the sex like?
>>
>>69682184
holy shit lol
>>
>>69680961
>you actually get paid more than the actual teachers
I don't know where you heard this, but it's entirely false.

t. someone working in the Japanese school system
>>
>>69682006
You don't choose a waifu, she finds you.
It won't happen with everyone.
>>
File: otaujosi.jpg (252KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
otaujosi.jpg
252KB, 500x497px
otaku joshi
>>
>>69682251
My information is dated by 10 or 20 years so there's that (that's when they did JET).
>>
>>69682251
What do you do and how did you get there?
>>
File: 122.png (329KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
122.png
329KB, 720x480px
>tfw no キクヒメ
>>
>>69681792
What anime type am I if I don't watch anime but enjoy the nostalgia associated with childhood animes?

>>69682064
You don't have to do exactly 20 per day, it might be too slow or too fast for you personally depending on how your retention rate ends up looking.
On the first two or three days I struggled to make sense of the Anki concept and was just constantly butthurt whenever I tried learning with it, during my first session I couldn't remember anything and learning 20 cards ended up taking about an hour full of hatred towards whoever developed it.

After a few days you learn how to work Anki properly, and then it becomes easier to deal with.

My Anki tips:
Make up mnemonics, even shitty ones can be very useful
Don't cheat, it's better to reset a card than to falsely tell Anki you're confident about it
The R key on your keyboard can be used to replay card audio
Something that I personally did was to remove sentence audio as it makes me lose my focus and stresses me

If you miss out on using Anki one day then you'll just get way more reviews the next day, meaning it will take much longer and be harder since you didn't review the first set of reviews at the right interval.
If you end up piling up hundreds of reviews and it makes you feel like setting fire to your computer then you can just change new cards to 0 for a while as you work to get rid of the reviews I suppose.

If you do forget a day or so but you want to finish reviewing everything in one session, I recommend changing your preferences to "Show new cards after reviews" so that you don't get even more stressed out that session by new cards randomly popping up.
>>
>>69682006
Otaku. The "otaku" in that pic is a fucking casual.
>at least three airing shows!!
>uh oh my backlog will have to wait

It took me 10 years to find a waifu, a character that clicked with me starting from her first appearance.
>>
>>69682446
Anyways I will go to bed so I can be fresh for my morning Anki slave session

Check out the Cornucopia of Resources / Guide link in the OP, it's pretty useful when you're new and gives an insight into what material is available and such
>>
>>69682618
Thank you for your help.
おやすみ。
>>
oh my god.
I notice now
>>
>>69680744
Hello again, I solved this problem by exporting the deck to Google Sheets and writing a script to do this for me. I'm about to try to import it again and see if everything is fucked. Assuming it works, I can put the deck up somewhere if anyone cares.
>>
Why make the same general on /int/ and /jp/?
>>
>>69682906
何が?
>>
>>69683940
Well, importing fucked everything up, so I guess I'll just refer to the spreadsheet when I see new cards. Oh well.
>>
>>69682064
>Can I "freeze" it If I know I won't be able to study in that day
Can you freeze your brain? If not, you can't freeze a program that works based on your memory. Reduce your new cards if you must, even set it to 0 on an emergency day, but try to do reviews when they are due. If you don't they will pile up and Anki will correct the intervals by itself, but as things pile up you get more demotivated.

>>69682006
>>69682452
The moment you assume you need to have a waifu or watch a given number of shows, you're already /a/tard material.

>>69683968
Cause /jp/ needs somewhere to tell people they don't like to fuck off to.
>>
>tfw when you start reading+comprehending as fast as the voice actors speak
>>
>>69684529
Thanks, with 20 new cards per day I'll finish it in 100 days right?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4id4wPIZk2Q

>>69684529
>The moment you assume you need to have a waifu or watch a given number of shows, you're already /a/tard material.
No one said that.
>>
>>69682064
>>69684529
If you know you're gonna miss the next day you can just "review ahead" or whatever it is

it messes things up a little but it's way better than just skipping a day
>>
>>69681108
Honestly friend, JET Is good for a short venture

but with JET there is NO Advancement. you have to be a job hopping faggot

the best thing you can do is use JET to get your foot in the door and use your spare time off work to find a better job then make like a leopard

you don't understand now, but you will.

P.S. English tutors in Japan make $50/hour, making your JET efforts all but useless.
>>
>>69684464
Actually, I just got it all working. Let me know if you want the deck.
>>
File: frog.gif (199KB, 336x468px) Image search: [Google]
frog.gif
199KB, 336x468px
>>69684714
Different anon jumping in here.

>P.S. English tutors in Japan make $50/hour
Are you for real? I mean, I'm a CS major so I won't be short on money, but if I ever hopped careers that would be it.

Is that just for good, reputable tutors, or around the median, or what?
>>
>>69685307
you can do CS work as your primary job then do english tutoring as a side gig

yes, $50/hour is real. do it as your second job.
>>
>>69685682
Damn, that's amazing. Thanks for the info.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 518x444px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 518x444px
How do I delete all my stuff on Anki?
I just checked and there are some stuff from my first encounter with Anki.
>>
>>69685875
Format your PC
>>
>>69685912
Yeah, right.
Seriously, it's attached to my account.How do I do it?
>>
>>69685875
By studying proper decks instead
>>
>>69685875
Should be able to click on the gear menu and delete, right?

Also, what's the other radical in 五 besides 二? Jisho just lists 五 as a part and I don't know what to do. I've had this kind of thing happen for other kanji too. Sorry if this is a dumb question.
>>
>>69686050
I'm this guy here
>>69680703
>>69682064
>>69682804
>>69679860
What deck do you reccomend??
>>
>>69686296
Settle for 丨.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Japanese_kanji_radicals#Kanji_radicals_not_recognized_by_Kangxi
>>
>>69684593
yes, but the deck actually has 6k cards. its called "core 2k/6k" because the first 2k words are the most common
>>
>>69687215
The remaining 4k are still vocabulary?
>>
>>69686800
core 2k/6k from the cornucopia of resources
>>69687228
yes
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Fxg2w7yeY&feature=youtu.be

I don't think i can learn japanese. (unlisted video)

This is easy enough in Anki but in reading comprehension this is going to be a fucking nightmare.
>>
>>69686296
Can't find nowhere to delete all the stuff I have.
Please help.
I want to start tomorrow.
Just want to clear things up so I can go to sleep.
>>
>>69687349
Wait, I got it.
>>
>>69687292
>stroke orders and all possible readings in a single card

how the fuck did you do this?
>>
File: Untitled.png (34KB, 1865x205px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
34KB, 1865x205px
>>69687254
>>69687254
>>
>>69687470
Forgot to type.
Which core 2k/6k should i get ??
Core 2k/6k Japanese Vocabulary
Core 2k/6k 2-Step Japanese Vocabulary
>>
>>69687491
Core 2k/6k Japanese Vocabulary
>>
>>69687512
I shouldn't get the Step japanese because it would give me lots of meanings to the same kanji and it would confuse me just like it confused this guy ?

>>69687292
>>
>>69687553
that guy messed up his anki settings, my deck has different cards for kanji with the same meaning
>>
>>69687466
kanji colorizer to make the core deck have stroke order

merge duplicates for the readings combiner.

don't worry, merge duplicates will bite me in the ass later in reading comprehension.

Japanese feels like a language that would be better to learn by having a note with the context next to the kanji

Well, for beginners anyway. I sort of have the mindset that I understand the japanese are literally saying "Completing the food" when using it to talk about eating the food.

English has some weird nuances like that soo

Like, when somebody says "Oh shit!" do we immediately picture a giant turd? No. We don't.

Japanese can warp itself like english has, so I understand that sometime weird literal nuances like this will exist.

but most other learners, seperating the readings and adding notes is most likely the way to go
>>
How is JET for just a year of dicking around? Doesn't really fit with my long-term career goals but I'm considering applying next period.
>>
File: 1399816662129.png (366KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
1399816662129.png
366KB, 696x720px
>>69663311

Hideyoshi was a great man. I recommend 'Taiko' by Eiji Yoshikawa to learn more about his deeds and misdeeds.

>>69663678

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not. In any case, its right here http://jisho.org/search/%E5%85%A8%20%23kanji

>>69674098

Don't let past experience ruin future ones. RTK is bad, but etymology is not RTK. Etymology shows the evolution of the kanji and allows you to link it to many other kanji. RTK is just a stand alone story for each individual kanji. Etymology is truth, RTK is fiction.

>>69674486

I can only be summoned at night.
>>
File: 1430978166377.jpg (20KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1430978166377.jpg
20KB, 229x173px
>>69687292
>calling it quits at 4 readings

what if i told you later on there's a kanji with 9?
>>
>>69687801
calling bullshit
>>
>>69687827
>>
>>69687414
You can always create a new profile and delete the old profile. That will delete everything.

>>69687553
2 Step is different. It is based on a formatting which a member from the Kanji Koohii forum put together, here:
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-10857.html?highlight=2-Step+Japanese
To drastically simplify it, the core6k 2 step Japanese deck is the same as the other deck but you have the option to click on the vocab word on the front and have it show the sentence before you flip the card.
It doesn't matter which one you use, really.
>>
File: goodbye.gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
goodbye.gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>69687894
>11
>>
>>69687899
After finishing Core2k should I go for the remaining 4k or do something else?
(it's 6-2 right? or it's 6k more?
>>
>>69687958
6k words total, but the first 2k of those are more common. when you finish those first 2k, simply continue the deck. when you finish all 6k words, you can expand it to the core 10k deck
>>
>>69687979
Wait, why don't I download the Core 10k deck instead??
Because if I finish the 6k deck and I download the 10k deck i'll have to start over from scratch at that deck right??
>>
>>69687942
音:
1. セイ
2. ショウ
訓:
3. い(きる)
3. い(かす)
3. い(ける)
4. う(まれる)
4. う(む)
5. お(う)
6. は(える)
7. は(やす)
8. き
9. なま
10. いのち[常用外]
11. うぶ[常用外]
12. な(る)[常用外]
12. な(す)[常用外]

>>69687958
You can use Core10k right off the bat if you want. I wouldn't recommend anyone use any other core deck aside the 10k deck if they are after Core for the constant easy supply of new words to review, which is what I assume most people but.
Yet ultimately, it doesn't really fucking matter how you go about it just as long as you go about it because you're going to end up knowing far more than 2000, 6000, 10000 or even 20000 words in a few years time if you don't give up on the language. Pick something and stick with it till it isn't helpful or interesting any more then pick something else.
>>
>>69688021
Got it.
20 cards per day.
500 days until I finish 10k deck.
That's asuming i do not miss even a single day.
But a year and a half to know 10k vocabulary is decent right?
After finishing 10k deck how will my overall japanese knowledge be in
>kanji
>vocab
>grammar
Sorry for so many questions.
>>
File: Untitled.png (29KB, 1865x205px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
29KB, 1865x205px
>>69688021
This one, then?
>>
>Wasting your time trying to learn moon instead of finishing that backlog
Pathetic.
>>
>>69688170
It's been months since I've seen an anime. It's not about anime at this point. It's about proving I can できる
>>
>>69687796
It uses 人, not 入.
>>
>>69687292
I would just unmerge duplicates and learn them individually over time. Trying to learn a bunch of readings at once is too overwhelming.
>>
>>69688080
>But a year and a half to know 10k vocabulary is decent right?
Decent? It's 10k (well closer 9.5k) words, which is helpful. Probably better for your memory to learn them over a year and a half than over a month but it isn't really a question of pace, it's a question of comprehension.
Try to read something now and write down how it went and put it some place you find later. Try reading the same thing in other year and half and note how it went. Compare the two and you'll have your answer to whether or not it feels decent to you.

>>69688130
Sure, why not.

>>69688225
The more you respond to the tripcunt the longer he will stay around.
>>
>>69688080
>But a year and a half to know 10k vocabulary is decent right?

Not if it means most of your time was spent on vocabulary.

If you have 10k in anki and are reading a lot then yes it's decent.
>>
>>69688264
I'm not the guy you're replying to, but what do you think is a healthy ratio? I do Anki for about 1 hour every day. How much reading should I do to accompany that? One, two? I certainly haven't been reading enough (only on volume 8 of Yotsubato after two months), but I think having an idea of how much I should be reading would help me to just sit down and do it.
>>
>>69688350
>would help me to just sit down and do it.
Are you sitting down now?
>>
>>69688350
Literally as much as possible. Anki vocab is pretty much capped at an hour a day for most people without burning out, and the rest of time possible should be spend reading or watching anime/drama w/ japanese subs

But if you just need motivation to do something, then aim for 1 anki to 2 reading
>>
File: 1408489888863.png (354KB, 704x662px) Image search: [Google]
1408489888863.png
354KB, 704x662px
>>69688225

Two sources disagree with you.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%85%A8

http://jisho.org/search/%E5%85%A8%20%23kanji

Ideogrammic compound (會意): 入 + 玉 (“jade”) – a whole piece of jade; pure jade.

全 6 strokes Radical: enter 入
>>
>>69688417
It's a figure of speech, ESL pleb.
>>
>>69688264
Ok, so 10k anki for vocabulary and reading to help.
What should I read?
As a beginner in the language.
I'll start anki 10k tomorrow, should I wait some days before reading something or should I start something along with anki?
What about my sensei method of just writing the book?
Like I showed in the picture >>69679860
I usually go to class, I take that book (Hiroko san no tanoshii nihongo 2) and write 2 stories in a hour.1 story - 2 pages.
Should I keep just writing books down or just read them?
>>
>>69688479
Alright, thanks. I'll go read now, actually.
>>
File: 1449519191042.gif (855KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449519191042.gif
855KB, 500x281px
>>69688170
>not finishing your backlog and learning Japanese from the pure amount of Japanese being blasted at you
>>
>>69688575
just read the guide

go to class if you want but realize everything they tell you to do is pretty much useless
>>
>>69688170
>having backlogs

This is the first sign of a casual.
>>
>>69688680
Are all NEETs/hikkis faggots like you?
>>
>>69688553
Please don't go about calling me an ESL pleb when statistically you are more likely to have English as a secondary language being in America than I am living in Australia.
The point was that you are making excused by promoting these non issues. If you want to read, fucking read. If you don't, don't. Don't act like someone telling you that you ought read for X amount over Y period of time is going to be the motivation you need. If it is, you should be in a classroom learning this and not by yourself.
People throw out the same sort of rhetoric all the fucking time and these are people who give up because they didn't really have a reason to learn the language in the first place.
You have to be the one to start the fire under your arse if you really want go going. There's a figure of speech.
>>
File: 1459903530876.jpg (169KB, 1099x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1459903530876.jpg
169KB, 1099x1195px
>>69688744
>anyone who isn't a casual fuck is a NEET
>>
>>69688781
>having a backlog implies you are a casual
Faggot.
Not having a backlog implies a lot of free time. Not everyone has that.
>>
>>69688549
Kanji was simplified. It now uses 人.

There are multiple other, more modern, dictionaries that confirm this. Hell, you can hover over it with Rikai and see for yourself. Or you could just open your eyes.

A self proclaimed teacher should really keep up to date with their subject matter.
>>
>>69688772
lmao, fucking triggered
>>
File: laugh.jpg (22KB, 228x380px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
22KB, 228x380px
Baka Gaijin
>>
File: japan.jpg (231KB, 1300x1120px) Image search: [Google]
japan.jpg
231KB, 1300x1120px
Honorable Japanese anons, I humbly ask that you view this image and tell me how it makes you feel.
>>
>>69689398
thanks captain obvious
>>
It's fine today\(^o^)/
>>
>>69689627
It looks like delicious
>>
File: 1454492593743.png (223KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1454492593743.png
223KB, 1000x1000px
>>69689398
Nothing makes my heart swell with admiration like a foreigner trying to improve their English.
Puts a tear in my god-damned eye.
>>
File: 1389075375931.png (296KB, 789x720px) Image search: [Google]
1389075375931.png
296KB, 789x720px
>>69688839

It doesn't matter if the kanji has been simplified. The original intention, thus the original reading uses 入 as its etymological root.

Much like 月 and 肉 use the same radical due to simplification, doesn't mean you can substitute 月 in words like 肌, because it wouldn't make any sense.
>>
>>69681030
It's not shit at all. It's a perfectly fine opportunity for kids right out of school.

People on the internet like to rip on it, but it's a very easy way to get your foot in the door and learn Japanese while not having to scrape by financially.

Anybody who is serious about it can use it as a spring pad to a "real job."

Now English teaching in general, specifically eikaiwa, is indeed shit--and the people who do it deserve to be looked down upon. If you're in your 30s and above and you're still being an English monkey, then God help you.
>>
I think I'm going blind.

I read 大型 as 大勢

No wonder so many asians are wearing glasses.
>>
How do you learn kanji with core 6k? Do you look up a readings and meanings of the kanji in the example sentences?
>>
>>69689398
not really. Kanji printed shirts or tattoo could be funny though.
>>
File: 1478765566913.webm (224KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478765566913.webm
224KB, 1280x720px
>>69691730
>rote kanji
Just use RTK.
>>
>>69691722
you would find 刑 and 土 in 型 as well as 力 in 勢. these are clues
>>
According to Wikipedia:
>Most numbers have two readings, one derived from Chinese used for cardinal numbers (On reading) and a native Japanese reading used for ordinal numbers (Kun reading).

I'm confused - if this is the case, then why is June, or 六月 - "sixth month" (which is ordinal) read as ろくがつ using the On reading, which is supposed to be for cardinal numbers?

And then similarly, why is 二つ - "two things" (which is cardinal) read as ふたつ using the Kun reading, which is supposed to be for ordinal numbers?

I feel really lost and stupid. What am I missing here?
>>
>>69692252
Wikipedia is wrong.
>>
>>69692342
For real? This whole time Wikipedia's been backwards?

Are you sure? I just did some Googling and while I haven't found much, and this could be copied from Wikipedia, this http://aminoapps.com/page/fairy-tail-official/770768/learn-about-japanese-numbers-and-writing parrots the same information.
>>
>>69692342
>>69692455
Should add that ふたつ can mean both "two things" and "second" and same for 一つ、三つ, etc.

Basically numbers have many weird pronunciations and stupid exceptions so don't bother learning some kind of general rules because they're not going to help much.

六月 uses onyomi because kanji compounds use onyomi. 二つ uses kunyomi because it's its own word. Then there's stuff like 四日 which is pronounced with kunyomi because the ideas of 四 and 日 are separate and it just means "4 days" or "4th day". I think 四日 is not a kanji compound but I might be wrong, not sure what the exact definition is.
>>
File: 1408487895447.png (403KB, 576x653px) Image search: [Google]
1408487895447.png
403KB, 576x653px
>>69692252

The rule (which is sometimes broken, but not often) is that kanji that stand alone use the kun and kanji, standing together with other kanji use the on reading.

Even though kun is used for ordinals i.e. 六つ, the above rule supersedes that rule in the case of 六月.

二つ is ordinal, because it means second (position). 二 is cardinal because it tells you how many there are of something.
>>
>>69692692
>二つ is ordinal, because it means second (position). 二 is cardinal because it tells you how many there are of something.
wat
>>
File: 1408505696244.jpg (186KB, 792x720px) Image search: [Google]
1408505696244.jpg
186KB, 792x720px
>>69692672

四日 is an exception because Japanese don't like using し.

It should be しにち, but its よっか because muh superstitions.
>>
>>69692767
I picked 四日 randomly, it could've been any other number such as 三日 which also uses kun.
>>
>>69692692
>>69692731

Correction. Cardinal.

I was thinking of something else.
>>
File: 1408502863490.png (450KB, 661x718px) Image search: [Google]
1408502863490.png
450KB, 661x718px
>>69692802

Hmmm... I looked up the number counting again and there are quite a few exceptions. I don't know the story of 1 to 10, but the し story applies to 14 and 24 respectively. I have no idea why 20 is counted with kun.

1 is たち
2 to 10 is か
11 to 31 is にち with the exceptions of 14, 20, 24.
>>
>>69692672
>>69692692
Thanks, I can feel some of my sanity being restored already.

>>69692932
But seriously, I've been reading about numerals and counter words in Japanese and the whole situation is just fucking crazy. I don't know how on earth it ended up that way. It's madness to me. I mean, I have to learn (or, memorize) it - that's just how it is, I guess.
>>
File: 1408500815825.png (142KB, 369x366px) Image search: [Google]
1408500815825.png
142KB, 369x366px
>>69693020

Look. Don't worry about.

When I lived in Japan I couldn't be fucked using おひゃおうございます、こにちわ、こんばんわ,さよなら、またあした, and so on because Japanese have different rules from these greetings for different times of day (and because I'm lazy). For instance, ohayou ends at 10am, but you couldn't use it at 1am. There was also the politeness level you needed to consider. You don't say またした to your boss.

So instead I just used ごきげにょう for everything. Hello, goodbye, night, day, morning, evening, ごきげにょう is the ultimate greeting word. And it is also the maximum politeness, so nobody ever gets offended either.

You can apply them same shit to days of the month. Say しにち and Japs will look at you funny because muh exception rules, but they will totally get what you are saying.

Don't sweat the small stuff. You have a gaijin card, which means you can break all the rules (except laws - it doesn't cover criminality).
>>
>>69693113
Are you misspelling things on purpose.
>>
>>69693113
Alright, thanks. I'll keep that in mind in the future (I'll try to balance effective learning with forgiveness of grammar exception).
>>
>>69693113
>So instead I just used ごきげにょう for everything.
Excellent tech.
Pls stop avatarfagging btw. You are giving me blue-ribbon flashbacks.
>>
>>69693113
Oh, I get it. This is memes, isn't it?
>>
File: 1474296877419.jpg (952KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474296877419.jpg
952KB, 1920x1080px
Remember kids

夢を実現するには努力が必要です。
>>
Today I watched a full hour of tv and only got 18 new words.
>>
File: 41H1XE31MPL.jpg (24KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
41H1XE31MPL.jpg
24KB, 300x298px
みにょう
>>
>>69693113
I thought I filtered you out. Are you on the /jp/ thread too
>>
>>69693606
A trick with these sorts of obnoxious cunts is to report every post they shit out and make sure to never respond to them directly. The other attention whore fuckwit pissed and this one will eventually do the same if you give them that sort of treatment.
>>
>>69693606
>>69693895
Well, he/she was kind enough to answer my questions so I personally really don't care at all if he namefags.
>>
>>69693975
Don't feed the attention whore and learn to use an attention whore. He has already made it perfectly clear that his knowledge is limited to what he can google in English, for fuck sake.
>>
File: 1465866966967.gif (826KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1465866966967.gif
826KB, 500x375px
>>69693163

I'm not so good at typing japanese. I do tend to misspell kana without giving what i type a second read.

>>69693184

She has the best reaction faces though.

>>69693895

Maybe you are just an angry kiwi.
>>
>>69694025

> implying i get all this information from off the top of my head

Nigga you high?
>>
I always have trouble with shit like this
>Eh
>The New Year is already over?
This close to what it means? の constantly fucks me up for some reason, its being used as a reference to a past used noun correct? in this case お正月 but why would it be used in the same sentence when the context is already known making it unnecessary

also no idea what the る is there for. i should be studying more
>>
>>69694091
>>69694133
Anon can you please use less blank lines?
Doing that for every sentence is kinda annoying.
>>
>>69694211
あたしもまだおもちたべてるよ
>>
>>69694211
>What does X particle at the end of a sentence mean
nothing The answer is always that it means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>69694281
おもちをたべことがありません
forget how to use こと for this structure
fuck. taking a break for 1 month really kills you
>>69694315
thats what it feels like and its annoying. just sounds better i guess
>>
>>69694358
たform + こと
>>
>>69694211
First of all I'm not that good with grammar myself but I think I know whats up.

>also no idea what the る is there for. i should be studying more
る is just short for いる which, when used with te form of a verb means basically the same as -ing in English so you are in the process of doing something.

Therefore
>The New Year is already over?
Is more like "new year is already ending"

の seems to be explanatory no so basically

>nothing The answer is always that it means absolutely nothing.
>>
>>69694358
>おもちはたべたことがありません
>おもちをたべたことがありません
>おもちをたべたことはありません
>おもちをたべることはありません

くっつきかたで、おおきく意味がちがうよ

がんばれおにいちゃん
>>
>>69694405
おもちをたべたことがありません
yeh. was thinking short form, i start my class again soon so i should reread genki in my few moments of downtime.

>>69694451
Dont know the first part but thanks for the kind words.
>>
File: [email protected] (454KB, 683x2677px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-01-09@20-05-32.png
454KB, 683x2677px
So it's been a month since I started learning:
I'm 775 words into core6k and 891 kanji into heisig (recognition/meaning only).

This looks stable to you guys?
I'm doing 7-day forgotten crams daily because I'm 25 so new information doesn't stick as readily as if were fresh out of highschool.
>>
>>69694603
Don't worry so much about your anki stats.
>>
I'll be good english speaker
>>
File: japan-tokyo-shinjuku-yasukuni.jpg (510KB, 1024x781px) Image search: [Google]
japan-tokyo-shinjuku-yasukuni.jpg
510KB, 1024x781px
>>69694790
お互いに頑張ろう
>>
>>69694790
>I'll be good english speaker
I'll be a good English speaker
>>
File: erhtej.jpg (107KB, 658x275px) Image search: [Google]
erhtej.jpg
107KB, 658x275px
My parents haven't spoken to each other in over 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5IXj8LFKA0
>>
>>69695053
Are all Japanese talk shows about comedy? I've never seen a Japanese talk show where its all sad.
>>
>>69694776
I thought it would be a good indicator of progress but alright.
Thanks.
>>
>>69691290
Keep up with the quality posts friend, we appreciate them a lot. It's nice to see someone who knows what he's talking about here.
>>
>>69695050
fuck off you cunt
>>
>>69696051
You are improving senpai, good job!
>>
File: 1402833565892.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1402833565892.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>69695768

This post means a lot to me thanks.

Last year I went to Japan to research Japanese mnemonics for young children aged between 3 and 6. I was interested to learn how Japanese children learn hiragana and katakana, and compare it with how adult learners learn the kana in the west.

I'm working on an app that will be able to teach adults (and children) how to learn both kana in less than two hours (an hour each for Hiragana and Katakana respectively).

If anyone is interested and having trouble with the kana I can post my research and methods. Otherwise I'll just continue with the regular lessons.
>>
>>69696051
>fuck off you cunt
Fuck off, you cunt.
>>
I already know (or should know) some words from my Japanese classes. How can I set it in anki so that it appears in my review session instead of waiting for it to come out eventually. I wanted to review what I already learned.
>>
>>69696209
I filtered you out because your posts are long and it interferes with my reading experience but you seem to know what you are doing so you should post your blog or whatever so I can read it there instead
>>
>>69696051
shit cunt is better
>>
File: 1393147295123.jpg (44KB, 251x231px) Image search: [Google]
1393147295123.jpg
44KB, 251x231px
>>69696441

I feel like just posting the blog address is blatant advertising, which was never my intention.

I just want to deliver short lessons to anons, while I'm doing my own studies.
>>
>>69696875
You should post it this once so I can go and read it there
>>
>>69694603
how to get 90% retention for young cards
>>
>>69696997

http://learnjapanesethehardway.blogspot.com.au/
>>
File: 1462204471778.gif (296KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
1462204471778.gif
296KB, 500x275px
頑張れ〜
>>
File: 136776172094.jpg (12KB, 408x372px) Image search: [Google]
136776172094.jpg
12KB, 408x372px
>>69687292
>how can a word be both a noun and a verb?

Are you aware "can" and "word" in your question are both nouns and verbs?

>>69688170
I can watch English shows on a second monitor while I work, but not anime since I have to read subtitles.
If I can get fluent enough in Japanese to be able to do it, I'll be able to grind down my backlog in a more efficient manner.

>>69691836
>RTK
Just rote kanji.

>>69695053
I thought this was Takepan.

>>69696392
Browse your deck and tag the words you know, then make a custom study session filtered with that tag.
>>
core gives examples:
上司に代わって会議に出た。 かわる intransitive
社長に代えて部長を出席させます。 かえる transitive
how does に and the te-form work here for these examples? I dont really understand the grammar used here
>>
File: 1429277986971.gif (200KB, 462x326px) Image search: [Google]
1429277986971.gif
200KB, 462x326px
Adjectival Nouns #9: Predicative Phrases #2

このレストランはおいしいスープで有名なんです。・このれすとらんはおいしいすーぷでゆうめいなんです。・This restaurant is famous for delicious soup.

高橋さんはもう95歳ですが、とても健康なようです。・たかはしさんはもう95さいですが、とてもけんこうなようです。・Mr. Takahashi is already 95 years old, but he seems to be very healthy.

有名・ユウメイ・famous/fame consists of 有・ユウ・existence/possession and 名・メイ・name/reputation. 有 shows a 手 hand holding 肉 flesh, and implies possessing something. 有 is also used in the common verb 有る・ある・to exist (inanimate objects). 有 is used in many compound kanji that have to do with possession or ownership. 名 shows 夕 the crescent moon and 口 mouth, from having to 口 orally identify yourself by 名 name in the darkness lit only by the light of the 夕 crescent moon. Together 有名 is a person who 有 possesses a 名 name or reputation and has become 有名 famous.

有名・ユウメイ・famous/fame

このレストランは・This restaurant subject・おいしいスープで delicious soup object ・有名なんです famous is.

高橋・たかはし is made up of 高・たかい・high and 橋・はし・bridge. This is also a fairly common Japanese surname. It is probably important to note that Japanese has three words that are pronounced はし, 橋 bridge, 箸 chopsticks and 端 edge. The way these words are identified in speech is by changing the pitch of the syllables. は↓し↑ bridge is low high and は↑し↓ chopsticks is high low. Edge is also は↓し↑ low high, but you can probably figure its meaning out from context.

Cont'd.
>>
>>69699013
In my opinion

I think 社長を代えて部長に出席させます is OK roughly, too.
In the case of 社長に代えて部長を出席させます, 部長 is 社長's proxy.
In the case of the former, an attendant changed from 社長 to 部長.

A status changes.
Though that is a little nuance.
>>
File: 1399808653518.jpg (58KB, 540x480px) Image search: [Google]
1399808653518.jpg
58KB, 540x480px
歳・サイ・age/ year-end/occasion is made up of three parts, 止・stop 戌・axe 小・small. The one ideographic reading of 小 is to cut something in half with a knife (or cut it small). Together with 戌 axe, it shows 小harvesting using 戌 tools. 止 refers to an end of a cycle. In many ancient cultures years were marked by seasons and the harvest season was especially important, because without a good harvest the rest of the year would be difficult. 歳 shows the 止 end of a 歳 year's cycle by 小 reaping what you have sown with an 戌.

健康 was covered in a previous lesson and should be very familiar to you now.

高橋さんは・Mr.Takahashi subject・もう95歳ですが、already 95 years is・とても健康なようです。very healthy he seems to be.

This よう means conjecture. Seems to be, could be - you aren't sure. You aren't making a statement of fact, rather offering your point of view. Very useful in conversations and gossiping.

Tune in tomorrow for another lesson.
>>
File: Untitled.png (12KB, 501x430px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
12KB, 501x430px
I just added core 2k/6k/10k .
So where do I click to study??
There are 4 of them...
>>
>>69701885
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2G-k2hQyg&feature=plcp

http://ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html
>>
>>69701513
Then よう is functionally similar to と思う?
>>
>>69702179
Just watched it.
Doesn't answer my question.
Which should I click if I'm starting from scratch at core 10k?
>>
>>69701885
>>69703144
I assume the top one. Core 2k/6k/10k Further Optimised PIC/SOUND, as that looks like the full deck.

The sub decks: Core 06k, if you only want to go to 6k. Core 10k-6k, if you've already finished a Core6000 deck and want to continue on to 10,000 without repeating words.
The - Core 0k-10k is the only thing throwing me off.

With all that said, I don't use decks set up like that so it's all a guess. Maybe check the statistics page to see how many cards are in each. Or get a new deck.
>>
File: 1409915539734.jpg (41KB, 850x860px) Image search: [Google]
1409915539734.jpg
41KB, 850x860px
>>69702554

Yes and no. There is a nuance.

よう is non-exclusive. Using よう you aren't expressing your opinion, but you aren't using facts either, you are only presenting what is observable to everyone. It's part of this really wishy washy way Japanese like to express their views, without expressing them.

と思う is exclusive to you. Your thoughts.

The distinction is you can't argue with よう. The most contention you will ever get out of a Jap from よう is まー. But と思う opens you up to argument.

Hope that explains it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (11KB, 1096x748px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 1096x748px
>>69703905
How is this supposed to be the most common 2k?
This is the first one that appears.
I'll download the 2k/6k deck
This 10k deck I don't think that it is in order of appearance.
>>
>tfw nips rewrite half your lang8 post
i'm embarrassed, they probably think i'm retarded
>>
One question:
Do you guys write down while studying Anki or just read the cards?
>>
>>69704536
They probably left the other half untouched to be polite
>>
>>69704553
>>69704553
>>69704553
>>69704553
>>
>>69704019
That was very informative. Thanks.
>>
File: [email protected] (379KB, 685x2995px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-01-09@17-45-22.png
379KB, 685x2995px
1) what happened to /a/'s djt?
2) What do you think of my progress with radicals?
>>
>>69707438
1)We decided that we're too cool for the nerds on /a/ and left.
2)Pretty rad.
>>
>>69704553
Just read
>>
File: [email protected] (377KB, 685x2995px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-01-09@18-01-34.png
377KB, 685x2995px
>>69707438
And this is for 6k vocab.
>>
>>69707528
1) Really? why?
2) T-thanks. I thought it was really bad, i only learn 4 words each day and keep forgetting everything.
>>
>>69708058
Why are you learning so slowly?
>>
>>69708131
>1) Really? why?
Yeah well actually we got kicked out of /a/ not sure if they just wanted to get rid of generals or if we shitposted too much.
Perhaps a mix of both.
>>
>>69708058
You have 138 words but have studied for 53 days?
Dude, do your reps daily. Your progress will be MUCH faster. You'll never learn Japanese at your current speed. Get your reps under control then start adding 10 words a day.
>>
>>69708058
>>69708355
>4 x 30 x 12 x 5 = 7200
>15 x 30 x 16 = 7200
>20 x 30 x 12 = 7200
>30 x 30 x 8 = 7200
At your current pace 7200 words will take 5 years, increase it to a standard 20 and it will take just 12 months.
It's your choice of course, but why not increase it to one of those average rates if you actually want to learn Japanese and you have at least about an hour of free time per day?
>>
>>69708355
I keep forgetting things. What's the point of doing 20 to end up repeating 19? I tried this at first and i ended up restarting my deck because i was mixing a lot of stuff.
>>69708504
>>69709447
I do my reps daily. Eventually i'll increase the new words count. I'm really a small learner.
>>
File: r u sure m8.png (1KB, 186x23px) Image search: [Google]
r u sure m8.png
1KB, 186x23px
>>69709791
>I do my reps daily
r u sure m8?

I got lead poisoning and ever since I have had memory problems. Even with my impaired memory, I can handle 10 cards per day with relative ease. I could probably handle 20/day if I spent an hour and a half a day. You're probably doing something wrong. Seriously, just re-try 10 words a day and keep at it.
>>
File: bloodcraft doujin snacks.jpg (173KB, 664x761px) Image search: [Google]
bloodcraft doujin snacks.jpg
173KB, 664x761px
djt, pls help kudasai

also, when did the thread move? I hate /int/ and this should have stayed on /a/
even /jp/ would have been better
>>
>>69710173
There is a thread on /jp/.
>>
>>69710209
Why did they split the thread into two now? Is there any difference?
>>
>>69710253
different threads are shitty at different times
>>
>>69710253
Yeah, it's kind of annoying to have 2 djt tabs open.
>>
All right time to do my 370 reps
>>
>>69710253
A lot of the discussion is the same, but there is a bit of variance. Generally if you want to talk about reading compelling manga and VNs, go to the /jp/ thread. If you want to chat with Japanese people on Skype or fuck bitches in Japan, go to the /int/ thread.
>>
Oh hey you're the cunts that told me to kill myself for getting shi and tsu confused. Go back to /a/ you fucks.
>>
Does the usage of たった in たったここにみつける make sense if you want to say something like "(you can) only find it here"?
>>
>>69710633
The happy one is し
the smug one is つ
If you're ever confused, ask yourself: "Is this face looking at me smugly or happily?"
>>
>>69710690
unless you're mixing up し &つ, in which case kill yourself my dude
>>
File: shot0001.png (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
shot0001.png
3MB, 1280x720px
>>69678628
何じゃそりや?!?!?!
>>
File: tsu shi.png (12KB, 776x614px) Image search: [Google]
tsu shi.png
12KB, 776x614px
>>69710633
>>
File: cat-in-trap[1].jpg (31KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
cat-in-trap[1].jpg
31KB, 300x225px
>>69710012
Well, except for weekends.
>>
>>69710836
wwwwwww
>>
>>69710836
kek
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>69710873
EVERY DAY
BITCH
>>
File: ツ.png (161KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ツ.png
161KB, 600x600px
>>
>>69710690
>>69710836
Yeah those are easy enough. It was the katakana I was having trouble with.
>>
File: 12341235123.jpg (75KB, 640x467px) Image search: [Google]
12341235123.jpg
75KB, 640x467px
I've read Japanese the Manga Way, Tae Kim, Genki 1 and recently started DoJG.

Pic related is how I feel, every book is approaching the grammar in a different way, which is kinda understandable although the differences are huge (too huge), but holy fuck they even contradict each other.
Sometimes they are phrasing some explanations in a way that beginners are likely to misinterpret it, other times they are doing questionable translations of their example sentences (I know where they are coming from but the translations are still flawed).
Also I think all of them had some special snowflake terms for grammatical terms which no one else uses like Genki calls informal language "short forms" for example.

Why are all grammar resources shit?
>>
>>69712033
The more you read, the less this will matter. So read more.
>>
>>69712199
While I agree with you, I find it fucking sad that the "best" resources are still so lacking.
Same for core, let's take 遊ぶ for example, core only has "play" like children do as translation right? Well too bad that it can mean "to play" "to enjoy oneself" "to have a good time" or dunno "hang out with your friends" or something like that.

That's fucking shit.
>>
ワニ化にを使わなければ日本語は学べません
>>
>>69712033
DoJG should be the final authority on grammar.
>>
>>69712033
Just do all the exercices in genki 1 and then genki 2. It will do it for beginner grammar.
>>
File: shi.png (6KB, 449x307px) Image search: [Google]
shi.png
6KB, 449x307px
>>69711321
Here it is.

>>69707438
>>69708058
What the hell, Cortez, how can your retention on kanji be higher than on radicals? That's bananaz.

>>69710478
And if you want to shittalk the /int/ DJT, go to /jp/. You're on the wrong board.
>>
>>69716000
>thinking daily retention means anything
>thinking anything means anything when you're doing half a card a day
>>
>>69716352
>>thinking anything means anything
Nah, your meme arrows, for instance, are something that mean nothing.
Try writing your thoughts out next time.
>>
File: 1449283777667.jpg (21KB, 229x173px) Image search: [Google]
1449283777667.jpg
21KB, 229x173px
>>69707438
>>69708058
>>
>>69697019
by cheating yourself out of learning for real
>>
>>69716661
Do you have this in proper resolution? I've realized my Dekinai folder contains only the original renders.
>>
File: 1449283777666.jpg (175KB, 1145x865px) Image search: [Google]
1449283777666.jpg
175KB, 1145x865px
>>69716917
>>
File: 1449283666666.jpg (378KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449283666666.jpg
378KB, 1920x1080px
>>69716917
Here's a wallpaper version
>>
File: 1479263454436.jpg (61KB, 484x579px) Image search: [Google]
1479263454436.jpg
61KB, 484x579px
>>69678170
I downloaded はなひら (that beginner VN), changed locale to nip, and tried to install, but it comes up with a load of shit, not even japanese characters. Just a load of shit. I get that this is vague, but has anyone installed the game successfully on windows 10 after having the same problem?
>>
>>69717505
>>>\jp\
>>
せいふ = government
さいふ = wallet
The government is very close to the wallet. Haha
>>
File: Untitled.png (2KB, 415x35px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2KB, 415x35px
>>69678170
I thought the Sakura autist would be happy with his DJT-free /a/? Is he really following us here?
>>
>>69717505
>windows 10
That's the real problem you have
>>
>>69717505
That is called mojibake, caused by wrong encoding, make sure your unzipping software handles Unicode, JIS or whatever they used to compress this file.

>>69717584
>PLEASE COME VISIT!
UK-kun is OUR tomodachi now, get over it.
>>
>>69712033
http://www.antimoon.com/how/input-gramrules.htm

>...learners want to hear a grammar rule (e.g. “We say big red car because adjectives of size come before adjectives of color”). But the rule is not the reason why we don’t say “red big car”. The rule is only a description of native speakers’ habits. It was invented by some linguist who simply noticed that native speakers never say “red big car” or “white small house”.

>In other words, it is not true that native speakers say “big red car” because they know the rule and follow it. It’s the other way around. The size-color rule exists because native speakers say “big red car”. Native speakers are the ones who create the language. Grammar rules only follow native speakers’ habits.
>>
File: 1465236436739.jpg (24KB, 305x303px) Image search: [Google]
1465236436739.jpg
24KB, 305x303px
>>69717861
>UK-kun is OUR tomodachi now, get over it.
恥ずかしい。。
>>
>>69717861
I'm in both threads, I just think it's cleaner if we have all the VN posts in one thread and all the IRL stuff in one thread, rather than having two identical threads.
>>
>>69717505
When I changed my locale to jap it worked for me. Region -> administrative tab -> change system locale
>>
>>69717918
This is why you watch 10000 hours of anime and skip all grammar guides
>>
To refer to a day in the current week like "this Wednesday", do you just say the day of the week or would you say something like 今週の水曜日? The latter feels a bit awkward but I don't know if just the day is correct or specific enough.
>>
>>69718234
Maybe the autists who wanted a safespace because flags trigger them should have thought of that before creating a redundant thread on /jp/. This DJT is open to any type of discussion of the japanese language, just like the /a/ version did. Are you afraid the mods will realize that /int/'s DJT and untranslated VN thread cover many times over whatever is discussed in /jp/'s DJT and will move to disallow it from existing like they used to?
>>
I'm a few days into vocabulary studies, and I've noticed that many vocabulary contain at least one character that's simply composed of a left-sided and right-sided radicals, which look very similar to me, e.g., the second characters in the words: 一杯, 学校, 夏休み...

Besides brute force, is there a way to correctly recall vocabulary with such characters when practicing handwriting recall? It's frustrating to re-drill cards everyday that I can visually recall from J>E and verbally recall from E>J but cannot recall by handwriting.
>>
>>69720289
You have to learn kanji.
Stroke order is usually pretty standard, down, left to right, across. There are some exceptions.
>>
>>69720289
Also all of those kanji contain the character 木 (き)、 meaning tree, which is used as a "radical" here.
If that's what you are asking.
>>
>>69720289
Not sure what you mean by handwriting recall. You want to be able to write the word from memory? In that case if you have trouble with a kanji I recommend delaying it a little, by a week or two after you learn the word because it becomes easier over time. As you learn more words with that kanji, or similar kanji, it visualizes in your head better. Because as you learn more words you're able to make associations like "the kanji that I want to draw is like that other kanji but with this radical instead of that one".
>>
File: my drills.jpg (38KB, 299x381px) Image search: [Google]
my drills.jpg
38KB, 299x381px
>>69720289
I have an easy time with these, but a hard time with 3-piece kanji, which all look the same to me in essence:

格結婚緑禄始終探続読紙

Nowadays I'm able to differentiate most of them (1 year of bruteforcing vocabulary), but I'll still sometimes struggle with the most generic ones like 格結始, or sometimes I will sperg out and pay attention to a radical I don't usually notice, like the 糸 in 終 and associate it with a kanji where I consciously pay attention to radicals, like 紙, and get the meaning wrong.

Thanks for reading. Don't forget to like and subscribe.
>>
>>69719558
今週の水曜日 or 次の水曜日 doesn't sound awkward.
>>
>>69721110

Cool, not sure why I felt it did. Thanks.
>>
File: jklike_seifuku_01221.jpg (105KB, 600x757px) Image search: [Google]
jklike_seifuku_01221.jpg
105KB, 600x757px
>>69717592
せいふく = sailor uniform
すいふ = sailor
>>
>>69720781
Interesting. I'll try this strategy. Thanks.
>>
Is my "due" count supposed to stay at 100 or should I set it to something else? I do 20 new cards a day if that matters.
>>
>>69723591
You have an artificial limit on the number of review cards you get. You're crippling yourself.

Read the guide in the OP.
>>
>>69720964
Of those I actually remember 格 best of all because it's so generic. It's the most boring kanji I've ever encountered.
>>
File: melonpan.jpg (177KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
melonpan.jpg
177KB, 1920x1080px
>card was a leech
>>
>>69726795
MELONPAN HAS KIDS?
>>
how do i un-leech a card?
>>
I had a question about reading. People tell me not to translate the sentence into English while reading, but I don't understand how you can't use your original language while learning to read Japanese. What do you guys do when you read? Do you get a picture in your head of what it is? Or do you understand the word usage and use it how the Japanese would?
>>
>>69727135
I think mental translation is a stepping stone. As your skills improve you will more or less naturally intuitively understand what you're reading without mentally changing it to your native language. Just read a lot.
>>
>>69712897
welcome to the language, most words have more than one meaning.
>>
>>69727135
There's a difference between understanding what a sentence means and translating it into English.
>>
>>69726795
What the fuck yo.
>>
洋服 = Western clothes
服 = clothes (esp. western clothes)

できない。
できない。
>>
Japanese pitch accent is just completely untaught in the core 2k/6k, right? Is there a recommended method to learn which mora has the accent, if any, for Japanese in general?
>>
>>69729481
和服
>>
http://pastebin.com/iEdUeCTZ
>集めて回る doesn't mean he's "passing (the images) around," it's referring to him going around to various pages to download the images.
Is this right? I have a slight doubt because the tweet got a reply (from a Japanese individual) that said
>僕にも回してください何でもしますから!
Meaning "please send them to me too" . 回る word was used by the replier to mean "spread around", but the original was meant as "exploring" to find them? Thanks.
>>
>>69729481
洋服のことも着物って言ったりする

どいなかだけかもしれない
>>
>>69729594
Download the Core 10k deck that has it.

> Is there a recommended method to learn which mora has the accent, if any, for Japanese in general?

Honestly, the BEST way, if you want to get good at Japanese, is to listen to the audio of the card and figure out whether the word is accented and where. But that's definitely not the easiest way.
>>
>>69729803
Thanks for the advice. I've spent some time reading about and listening to how pitch accents work, but I don't feel confident enough in my own perception ability yet to determine which mora is accented consistently.

So, I'll focus on the Core 10k and listen carefully to improve. Man, switching's going to be annoying. I have to run my preprocessing script again.
>>
>>69729681
>回る word was used by the replier to mean "spread around", but the original was meant as "exploring" to find them?
Yes
>>
>>69717505
Dumb question but did you try running it in different compatibility modes? I can't remember which VN it was as I was installing a bunch over a short period just to test to see what works out of the box with Windows 8.1 and there was a game that kept throwing out mojibake error prompts until I ran the installer in XP compatibility mode. No idea why but maybe Windows 10 has similar issues that some games have with Windows 8/8.1.
It's probably easier to run a virtual machine with Windows XP in it if you are having to constantly wrestle with Windows 10 to get VNs to run if you're going to be playing/reading them a lot. Every new Windows OS seems to play havoc with older software so efficiently you'd think it was done by design specifically to fuck people over into buying new software.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V if you want to give that ago instead of using virtualbox or what have you.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/quick-start/create-virtual-machine

>>69717638
>If you,re a beginner' read the guide first
Where is that from?
>>
>>69730659
>Where is that from?
The op image
>>
File: これか.png (9KB, 542x111px) Image search: [Google]
これか.png
9KB, 542x111px
>>69729594
A couple of things worth reading over on the subject:
http://www.imabi.net/l288pitch.htm
http://www.gavo.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/ojad/

>>69730803
Are we looking at different images?
>>
>>69730803
The current OP isn't the shitty Sakura one though
But yeah he probably followed us to one of the threads.
>>
Anyone here learning Japanese on the side of learning something else? I'm a month and a bit into learning how to draw and it has stuck now and I'm considering picking up Jap, but I'm worried I'll neglect one or the other too much.

Mainly asking because I've never even attempted to learn another language before and I'm not sure just how much work is needed for it.
>>
>>69731278
The learning rate is proportional to the time you put in more or less.
>>
>>69731278
Just give up now
>>
>>69731278
Do you mean "hobby" sort of things like drawing, or do things like college classes count?
>>
>>69730952
Thanks, these look really useful.

Is it a bad idea to have kanji with furigana as the core10k defaults to? (Can it lead to being unable to remember the pronunciation on your own?)
>>
>>69731548
Sorry, I meant to say "kanji with furigana on the front of the card"
>>
File: Untitled.png (4KB, 542x235px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4KB, 542x235px
>>69731278
Find a way to create an environment wherein the skills/actives have transferable value. Don't really know how you'd be able to do that with drawing and Japanese but who knows, grab a bunch of textbooks on illustration that are written in Japanese so you have to learn it in order to progress.
As an example, the death grip from getting more serious about masturbation has had a rather noticeable skill transfer into improving my rock climbing.

Some guy even used learning Japanese to improve his 剣道.
http://kenshi247.net/blog/2016/03/09/march-book-project-4/

>>69731548
>>69731564
>Can it lead to being unable to remember the pronunciation on your own?
I could I guess if you don't really do much reading outside of Anki, as you aren't really testing yourself with the readings if they are on the front. All I can really comment on is that for Anki reviewing, the furigana isn't on the front of any of my vocab cards.
Pic related; my vocab cards are stupidly simple.
>>
>>69731675
Alright, I think I'll turn that off then, since I intend to practice reading a lot. Thanks for all the help.
>>
File: 0BO.png (337KB, 448x847px) Image search: [Google]
0BO.png
337KB, 448x847px
>>69731715
がんばってね
>>
File: 1447817520685.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447817520685.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>been a month since I began learning Japanese
>saw the sign in front of a chinese shop on the bus ride home today:
>various hanzi I didn't catch+超市
>mfw I can read it
I know it doesn't mean anything in Japanese, but it feels good being able to interpret its meaning.
>>
>>69679532
NHK easy
>>
>>69732143
>mfw I can read it
Good luck trying to pronounce it.
The Japanese had some pretty wild ideas with their "Chinese" readings.
>>
鰐蟹は最高です
>>
File: [email protected] (499KB, 1355x2804px) Image search: [Google]
anki-stats-2017-01-10@07-43-01.png
499KB, 1355x2804px
rate my anki stats
>>
>>69732404
ごめんなさい
>>
>>69732404
That's awful.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 80

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.