[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/beg/ - THE BEGINNER THREAD

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 88

File: op.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises.
Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up, make someone proud.

AVOID asking unrelated questions, there is a question thread for that.

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES TO ~1000 PIXELS:

#1)
>screenshot the image and post that instead (I recommend ShareX)

#2)
>change camera capture settings to something smaller

#3)
>send to computer and resize in MSPaint

→ →
There's a new (and cleaner) sticky in town! You can see it at:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uwaXKU7ev6Tw_or__o8ARpUb6r2rCZYJGqwSFV9AD98/edit#bookmark=id.15jx3pyuimvj

>Thread study: Try to draw/paint the opening or any other following images.
Feel free to post your original works as well if you're trash.

TRY TO BE MORE ACTIVE AND GIVE PEOPLE SOME FEEDBACK - many studies are left unreplied, which is a bit sad and can be quite demotivating for the people that try their best to improve, but are left directionless.

OLD THREAD: >>2887609
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: 705110acb34724b915773e9e6982713f.jpg (356KB, 702x1021px) Image search: [Google]
705110acb34724b915773e9e6982713f.jpg
356KB, 702x1021px
>>
File: image.png (663KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
663KB, 1000x1000px
Just in case anybody missed my drawing.
>>
File: 1487704248268.jpg (37KB, 797x707px) Image search: [Google]
1487704248268.jpg
37KB, 797x707px
>in Canada
>have to consider joining game studios as an artist in order to broaden my job prospects as much as possible
>the only companies here are SJW retards and mass-appeal trash working on Assassin's Creed or Mass Effect
>have never played any of these games because 0 interest

kill me
>>
>My ugly mug is immortalized in the OP
t-thanks
>>
>>2888938
uninspired symbol drawing like that is pretty hard to miss
>>
>>2888945
Think of it as a funny thing to look back on when you finally make it.
>>
>>2888942
Join Ubisoft and get that shit on your resume, instant job opportunities after that. You only have to be there for three years or so, they know you'll leave.
>>
File: Royal Guard 2.jpg (433KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
Royal Guard 2.jpg
433KB, 1500x2100px
Critique pls
>>
>>2888953
How are you so good?
>>
File: 2017-03-08-055523_535x795_scrot.png (64KB, 535x795px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-08-055523_535x795_scrot.png
64KB, 535x795px
>>2888927
i tried...
>>
>>2888966
Definitely tried
Now finish it
>>
>>2888938
edo?
>>
>>2888956
fuck you
>>
>>2888953
did you draw that without reference??
>>
>>2888976
I didn't use a reference but I did use pic related as inspiration
>>
>>2888980
Seriously who are these god damn guards? I have never seen them fight.
>>
>>2888971
Who?
>>
File: IMG_3264.png (2MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3264.png
2MB, 1242x2208px
Gonna try this one as a reference instead. Anyone else is welcome to do the same.
>>
Read the sticky, what are some other fundamental exercises besides drawing things from life and upside down? Or should I just keep doing those until I get to a bookstore for one of the recommended books?
>>
>>2888989
slowly draw the creases on your hand without looking at the paper
>>
>>2888989

Draw boxes in perspective
>>
>>2888992
Will do

>>2888991
Anon are you messing with me? because that sounds kinda strange but I know dick about drawing so I can't actually tell.
>>
File: 1453950350847.jpg (221KB, 827x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1453950350847.jpg
221KB, 827x1024px
Are any of you guys here seriously considering a professional digital art career?

What are your goals in terms of industries you want to work in? How do you plan to make connections, secure jobs, etc. ?

Just wondering how others are doing it, I'll probably chime in myself after a few replies.
>>
>>2889005
No. not interested in making a career out of it, just improving. I quit running, and had significantly more free time to do more creative things like drawing and photography.

Never thought I'd be interested in artistic things, but I've genuinely even considered changing majors just to learn more.
>>
>>2889005
Right here, anon.

Git gud for one. I also have to learn how to copy other artists' styles since that is actually the way to get onto these things. Who knew copying could lead to good things? As far as after gitting gud. Nothing is really thought out. I mean, maybe a social media would be good to get noticed, after all if you're good, you'll get noticed no matter what. There's a ton of games out there that need artists even if they're a bit cheap. So if things don't work out quick, I'll have to hit up indie games which are always available as far as I'm aware. But no, gitting gud is too much of a priority, I don't really know what happens afterwards. Thinking about the future gives me crippling anxiety, so I don't do it anymore. I just live in the present and hope things go right, because if not, there's an eject from life button anyways. I don't worry too much about it. There's not much I want out of life, but people give plenty of reasons not to live. Hope you have a better plan than I do.
>>
Good alternatives to Loomis for learning construction in perspective, particularly the head?

No particular bias against Loomis, I just want different explanations
>>
File: 2017-03-08-063415_528x797_scrot.png (236KB, 528x797px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-08-063415_528x797_scrot.png
236KB, 528x797px
>>2888968
tried again
i cant into shadowing/coloring anon
>>
>>2888986
your ears are like flat, they have no indentation.
>>
>>2889000
not that anon, but I think it's called blind contour. You trace your hand with a single unbroken line without looking down at the paper.

It teaches you to coordinate your pencil movement to wherever the eye is looking. It's like tracing with your eyes.

So basically you place your pencil down on the page. You start from one point of your hand and you trace the outline all the way to the other end, drawing also the folds and creases along the way. Don't look at your drawing and don't lift the pencil up until you're done.

I actually had to do this in an art class a few times and it helped immensely. I don't know how but my drawing just showed improvement after that.
>>
>>2889028
I think the problem with the blind contour exercise is that people are generally not shown good examples of it, so it seems pointless because the instant I saw a person did it well on youtube, I was super surprised. Was revolutionary. He did it so well, that it looked correct. Never had seen it in my life. Although this may have to do with the fact they always teach you to do it with your hand. But yeah, it might not be for everyone. It's fairly tedious and generally the result looks like shit anyways. You would be better off just sketching whatever the hell you were looking at 50 times.
>>
File: metal.jpg (812KB, 2240x1940px) Image search: [Google]
metal.jpg
812KB, 2240x1940px
>>
>>2889041
That's pretty awesome. Especially the way you used red lines as some sort of crease. Even more impressive is it's all flat colors. No idea how you got this effect or even learned about it.
>>
File: dark library.jpg (792KB, 1176x1809px) Image search: [Google]
dark library.jpg
792KB, 1176x1809px
>>2889041
i just did it, i can't say i drew inspiration from any one thing
>>
>>2889051
meant for >>2889043
>>
>>2888984
nevermind
your art is pretty cute. not sure how you came to have such harsh stylization, but I find it enjoyable to look at, if not quite niche. although, it's obviously very polarizing (especially at /ic/. you won't get many compliments from the people here). if you're making what you want to make, though, then keep going. i don't think you'll get much attention so i'll offer some critique.

it's very flat; gaining a basic understanding of perspective and (specifically) form will help a lot. you're overusing the soft brush to define forms; adding some hard edges where they need to be would definitely make your art pop. the style is going to make the very-anti-anime-people here disgusted, but you should just ignore them honestly

your lines are nice, but completely uniform (aka kinda boring). you can really breathe life into a line drawing with a little bit of variation. your values are muddy and you don't seem to understand how light interacts with form.

i like your style; it's unique and cute. work on understanding the forms you're drawing and HOW to convey the forms you want to draw (plus some perspective to really hammer in draughtsmanship). a common obstacle for 'anime' artists is that they become so focused on symbols and pure graphical stylization they don't pay any attention to truly understanding 3 dimensional shapes and how to translate them into drawing (especially stylized work). also try to gain some understanding of light (light sources, color temperature, values; studies, observation, and life drawing will help)
>>
>>2889034
Hm, yeah I guess you have a point there. The blind contour worked well in my class because there were so many people to compare with. Mine looked like shit in the beginning but I stepped my game up because there were others in the class getting really amazing results. We also had an instructor to teach us how to do it well, so there's that. It might be less effective without clear examples.
>>
File: IMG_20170307_225617.jpg (449KB, 1548x1548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170307_225617.jpg
449KB, 1548x1548px
How fucked up am I /ic/? I like fashion illustration and I want to draw some chicks on sick outfits. Any books or sites to learn? Thanks.
>>
>>2888938
I like it a lot anon.

Fills me with determination that if you can make it, I too can.

I've never done a finished piece like this either, must take so much bravery to take upon such a task.

Your colors are really good too, did you study up on color theory? Got that blue and orange complimentary going on. There's some brown and grey to balance them out too. All your line work is pretty even so it's not too jarring to look at which is neat. Somehow you managed a composition that has me looking all around too. I guess the tails make you go around in a circle just like how their eyes look at the tail too. I don't know, anon. This is seriously impressive, but not enough to make me jealous. That's astonishing really. Probably the best thing I've seen today. Makes me motivated and a bit happy.
>>
>>2889060
study chinese artists, they draw best chicks
>>
File: girlsli.png (97KB, 376x499px) Image search: [Google]
girlsli.png
97KB, 376x499px
>>2888926

Sup /beg/ I ragequitted like six months ago but I'm back to likely quit again eventually.
>>
>>2889072
>this good
>quit
Fucking what
What was the problem?
>>
File: file.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Where the fuck do I even begin to try and replicate this picture? I'd like to paint it with just the people on the horses in the picture and nobody else.
>>
>>2889077
Don't get caught up in the details at the start. Squint your eyes at it and try to see the major masses. So you might start out with only a few giant shapes, like put down a flat blue tone for the sky and then a few large strokes getting the overall shape of the hill, a few strokes placing the river, a few getting the foreground grass. Then start putting in some medium sized shapes maybe putting in the rocks with only two values, one for the shadows and one for the lights--don't worry about the tiny rock textures for now. Keep going through the image like this putting in the big shapes first then breaking them up into gradually smaller and smaller shapes.
>>
>>2889078
Just cut everything out or erase it. What's so hard about that? You'll get your ref without the huge ass mountain distracting you.
>>
>>2889080
Thank you, I think I was getting too worried about the little details.
>>
>>2889072
Same here, just came back like 2 days ago to drawing again and already feel a huge pressure on me on having to practice alot to get to the level i want to be.
Also i get extremely anxious/nervous on trying new things out.

So far I have tried to take small babysteps and am trying desperately not to be fretting so much about my progress, hope you won't quit again anon, I hope you'll make it, if you draw everyday and still suck in like 2years I think its time to quit though.
>>
>>2889078
References like these make me panic, hope you figured out how to work on it..
>>
>>2889072
How are you so good?
>>
>>2889076
>>2889093
Not that anon, but tbf the drawing isn't really that good, I understand why that anon ragequit
>>
>>2889092
I will be using this guy as a reference heavily
https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelJamesSmithArt
Best landscape youtuber out there, by far.
>>
>>2889096
how tf can someone put that amount of detail in drawings
>>
>>2889101
Watch some of his videos, they are so good at explaining stuff.
>>
Should I as beginner make a social media account or not??? I don't wnt to b a laughin stockk but I need followers if i want to b rich one day..
>>
>>2889110
Anyone who laughs at a beginner is like people at a gym laughing a fat person working out. They're just terrible people. But yeah, you should. It feels nice when people notice your stuff and you get to talk to them.
>>
>>2889113
Where's a good place to post my shit?

Tumblr?
>>
>>2889118
If you handle more than one, you could do that. I like Twitter though. Tumblr is nice for looking at all the images in one place because of the use of archive, but not reading text. Twitter has more interaction which I like.
>>
>>2889122
what about deviantart? is that place only for autism?
>>
File: conststudy1.jpg (201KB, 1010x920px) Image search: [Google]
conststudy1.jpg
201KB, 1010x920px
Would appreciate some feedback on these.

I only did a couple with vanishing points and the rest are just guessing the perspective.
>>
>>2889149
Nah, there's nothing wrong with DeviantArt at all. It's just a bit old and a new company just bought it so, I don't really know what might happen with it. I like DA too for well everything. It's like the best place to go were it not where people don't go except for art. At least people on tumblr and twitter for everything else.
>>
File: 57 - Igof1.jpg (367KB, 1856x1534px) Image search: [Google]
57 - Igof1.jpg
367KB, 1856x1534px
>>2889150
>those breasts

Hahahaha fucken hell m8

Breasts are not basketballs
>>
>>2889158
Ah, yeah I know. It was just my way of shorthanding the shape. My references were actually pretty spherical though.
>>
>>2889076

because I can't stop noticing the mistakes I do and then realizition hits you hard because you notice how difficult would it be to 'make it' its a long road to learn.

>>2889087

Try to get rid of that pressure, it makes you forget that drawing is fun. I don't think the masters got good by feeling pressure when they were drawing being kids.

>>2889093

Thanks anon but you're asking the wrong guy I'm stuck.
>>
>>2889072
thats not bad senpai
your biggest problem is placement, especially the eyes
>>
File: underweight.jpg (455KB, 1000x605px) Image search: [Google]
underweight.jpg
455KB, 1000x605px
>>2889185
forgot my own shit like a fuckass
>>
What is an acceptable way of using references without literally copying something?
>>
>>2889204
Using a reference is inevitably copying. It's okay to copy, anon. Just don't be a dumb ass and say it's yours when you copy a major IP.
>>
>>2889204

Deconstruct the reference and understand it as a 3D shape, then attempt to draw it from a different angle with your own artistic liberties taken.
>>
>>2889206
but i cant draw without references properly, how am i suppose to create my "own stuff"
>>
>>2889210
thats kind of the same as using a reference though
thought maybe the proper way to use references was to use like 10 different references for one drawing
>>
File: 1480748502589.gif (3MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1480748502589.gif
3MB, 200x200px
>>2889215

Hell fucking yeah, enough weepy bullshit. Get to work and improve, motherfuckers.
>>
>>2889211
Easy. Draw from your imagination first and lay it all out. If you find you can't remember how something looks, look up references and fix up your imaginative work. There's nothing wrong with drawing with references. Everyone does it. Depends on what you mean by "own stuff", but it surely can't be totally out there. It's probably grounded in reality.
>>
>>2889220
thanks anon, ill do it that way, feels much more original that way
>>
>>2888665
[spoiler]Footfag?[/spoiler] Thank you. I do hope so too. And I'm actually planning to redraw some of my first paintings that turned out reeeaaally shitty, when I learn the necessary skills.
>>
I think I'm symbol drawing upside down. Fucc
>>
>>2889243
Maybe, you're just bad at drawing lines.
>>
>>2889215
>Why do you people make it so fucking hard?

Because people underestimate the time it takes to get good. Honestly, once you're in it for a certain amount of time it would feel like a waste to stop.
>>
>>2889218

Using a reference to deconstruct it and learn how it works is the same as using a reference?

Well no shit, but using this method you actually learn the subject so you are able to draw it without reference in the future.
>>
>>2889257
Well the way I do it is I draw from reference, Fastforward 1 week later, I can draw that same pose/face from memory
Isn't this the same?
>>
File: 3817.jpg (445KB, 615x900px) Image search: [Google]
3817.jpg
445KB, 615x900px
Did another plate of Bridgman.
>>
>>2889266

No, it's not. The idea behind deconstructing the subject is that you reduce it's complexity to basic forms, this makes items in the world become a matter of remembering the inherent relationships between the proportions of the basic forms that make up the subject, which is incredible far easier than straight up remembering the subject as this one complex shape. It also trains your understanding of 3D, or Construction skills, so theoretically once you have deconstructed your subject and learned it, you should be able to draw it from the opposite angle as you're not remembering silhouettes anymore, but the true forms of the object at any given time, in any given place in space, form any viewpoint.

I hope I am making myself clear.
>>
>>2889269
perfectly clear, ill try to learn more 3D space since I don't want to memorize 1000+ different poses to function as an artist
>>
>>2889244
How do I go about drawing without lines?
>>
>>2889273

I can recommend ''Dynamic Sketching Week 1 and Week 2'' By Peter Han. It's a good seminar that deals on the basics of this, if you would like to check it out. It's available on CGPeers. Michael Hampton seminar and book is also bretty good for construction, if you're more interested in gesture and anatomy right now, it's a great way to practice both skills at the same time, imo.

Good luck
>>
>>2889274

You can draw in values, Anon. Lines are a man-made conception, they don't actually exist.
>>
>>2889277
But won't I lose precision with my values?
>>
>>2889282

Precision? No, I can't see why. Do you mean detail, instead? You have freedom on how to approach drawing, but a common technique is to do a gestural value drawing first, so you get a solid 3D space in the canvas, then you go in with your pencil/pen and add the details. Since you already have all the most important forms laid out already, detailing becomes significantly easier.
>>
Does anyone here earn money with his/her drawings?
>>
>>2889285
Probably not anyone in the beginner thread. I'm sure a ton of people from the draw and alt threads earn money tho, maybe not a livable wage but they probably make some dough every now and then.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (335KB, 998x568px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
335KB, 998x568px
>>2889284
I don't think I'm that bad with shapes. But these exercises really kill me, I think I have a problem with maintaining scale.
>>
>>2889290
Dont rush it anon, also that left drawing looks wrong af, proportions look really weird. Not sure if those "exercises" really help... there isn't really any scientific studies about the effect of those soo...
>>
File: asfqwr.png (170KB, 886x565px) Image search: [Google]
asfqwr.png
170KB, 886x565px
>>2889291
Well I suppose the drawing that I'm copying doesn't matter for these exercises.
But thanks for the advice anon.
I tried practicing features, how should I continue?
>>
>>2889292
Yeah you should anon, also dont forget to practice the features on faces as well besides doing them individually.
Keep it up, your noses look good!
>>
>>2889294
Thanks anon. I will.
You have invigorated me.
>>
>>2889292
what are they suppose to be?
>>
>>2889299
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 2017-03-08-114938_723x732_scrot.png (54KB, 723x732px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-08-114938_723x732_scrot.png
54KB, 723x732px
>mfw im drawing straight for 14hrs+ cause /ic/ told me to if i wanna make it
anyway another drawing, this time tried drawing some "fanart", so copied pasted the face practically although changed the position hes facing, so thats something for 3D
>>
>>2889315
Steps
-lines
-boxes
-gestures
-loomis
-?????
-"fanart"
>>
>>2889315
>doing everything /ic/ tells you

literally the path to not making it
>>
File: 2017-03-08-105255_618x881_scrot.png (86KB, 618x881px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-08-105255_618x881_scrot.png
86KB, 618x881px
>>2889320
loomis isn't worth it anon
but thanks for the hard facts, ill work on my construction.
>>2889335
where should i go for advice?
>>
File: Twatch.png (3MB, 3295x1571px) Image search: [Google]
Twatch.png
3MB, 3295x1571px
to think i could have done a photostudy to practice blending but i did this instead.

>>2889339
/ic/ is good for getting feedback from a fresh pair of eyes but i really don't think you should treat everything that is said here as 100% fact - I personally think people do this out of fear of "going down the wrong path" (drawing for 14 hours straight? come on) when in fact everyone is failing their way to the right path. Make educated, thought-out decisions and realize that not everything you do the first time around is going to be the most efficient choice.
>>
File: Remi_lewd_wip4_resize.jpg (388KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Remi_lewd_wip4_resize.jpg
388KB, 1600x1600px
Welp, I think that's it for the lineart. The resulting image is quite pleasing to my eyes. Since a drawing is an artist's experimental playground, I might as well try to do the values first and paint it after that.
>>
File: process.png (2MB, 1754x614px) Image search: [Google]
process.png
2MB, 1754x614px
i rushed at the end and kinda fucked up the lighter values, but here's the ""process"".
>>
File: media_militia_skulls_019.jpg (2MB, 3132x2503px) Image search: [Google]
media_militia_skulls_019.jpg
2MB, 3132x2503px
>>2889369
and the ref
>>
File: 0308170332_HDR-1-1021x783.jpg (222KB, 1021x783px) Image search: [Google]
0308170332_HDR-1-1021x783.jpg
222KB, 1021x783px
finsihed this finally. i fucking ruined the cloud area by putting lightened yellow for the light streaks. maybe ill just go over with white

>>2888981
read lords of the sith which is canon.
>>
>>2889372
looking good erica
>>
>>2889373
thnx bb <3
>>
>>2889379
i want your contact info so bad. your discord. anything. i want to know the true art anomaly that is eric
>>
>>2889380
dont steal my erica
>>
>>2889381
fuck u dude i put him in the OP image like twenty times i deserve eric
>>
>>2889382
>implying he cares bout his beta orbiters
heh
>>
File: 1488367933727.jpg (36KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1488367933727.jpg
36KB, 655x527px
>mfw i cant tell sarcasm from sincerity on the internet
>>
>>2889365
As my teacher used to say to me, "your head is full of shit. Don't even trust it".

Study fundamentals. The anatomy is unappealing and not clearly defined. The leg, that should be foreshortened, is just becoming bigger without maintaining its proportions as it approaches the viewer. The foot is unsightly large and deformed. Perspective is not present: the drawing appears flat and featureless. Hair are a black mass.

Bother to study fundamentals or in the future you'll regret not having done so.
>>
File: 61386211_p0.jpg (241KB, 1200x826px) Image search: [Google]
61386211_p0.jpg
241KB, 1200x826px
Does her face look really fugly to you?
>>
>>2889395
It is an interesting design choice, in anime, which is known for signature large eyes to not enlarge the eyes.

>>2889392
he has a pretty shit attitude in the last thread and the thread before, i'm sure you're just wasting time
>>
>>2889398
Not his fault that you dont understand the difference when its actually on PURPOSE stylized
>>
>>2889398
I'm browsing here after a long time, so I didn't know. Thank you.
>>
>>2889401
I understand that. I'm giving my input on what I think. I just said it was an interesting choice. The drawing is fine.
>>
>>2889398
>which is known for signature large eyes to not enlarge the eyes.
are you fucking dumb? ever heard of a thing called proportions? they dont just fuck with the eyes. they change the entire size of the head AND THATS WHY THEY CHANGE THE SIZE OF THE EYES. fucking retarded people on here
>>
>>2889405
Hehe sorry! I don't exactly know the technical ins and outs of anime. My b
>>
>>2889405
no need to type in caps dude..
>>
>>2889401
Eyes are too far apart, desu.
>>
I want to draw memes like pepe the frog and feelsguy, any good reads on how to make a meme?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170308-071632.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170308-071632.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Fuck

>tfw you do a beginner exercise and fuck it up horribly
>>
File: 1484083108376.jpg (205KB, 1366x1480px) Image search: [Google]
1484083108376.jpg
205KB, 1366x1480px
>>2889410

To make a meme, one must first, create the universe.
>>
>>2889369

What are you using, charcoal? I really like it, seems like a great way to study form
>>
>>2889412
I think it's pretty good for a beginner, but that exercise is pretty memeful. Just get your books and study them.
>>
>>2889415
It's the first step in figuring out what it means to draw with your eyes and not your brain. There's not much use it doing it more than once, but what's memeful about it?
>>
>>2889415
Thanks, I think I was too focused on the lines and not really paying attention to the whole picture. I am reading DRSB.
>>
>>2889398
>>2889403
Well then, I guess I'm really not seeing things the same way as others do, and that is why my understanding of a pretty face overlaps with the others' only partially. The nose shape, the mouth and its position, the eyes... I don't get how such a face could look normal to anyone. It's like koto_inari. I find his style fugly too, but some actually like it.

Oh, and regarding my attitude... By the wise words of that anon's teacher,
>> "your head is full of shit".

I make that claim on the same grounds.
>>
>>2889418
Like, it's more of a check than an exercise. You're already going to study how to draw what you see by drawing anything else (perspectice, anatomy...); it's a meme because it doesn't say much about you nor it makes you improve a lot. Maybe a beginner can use it to realize how bad he is, but for that we are always ready to explain how shit their drawings are.
>>
File: Fabulousness.jpg (236KB, 1112x1178px) Image search: [Google]
Fabulousness.jpg
236KB, 1112x1178px
It... it was just so FABULOUS, I couldn't help it. Someone had to deliver that request sooner or later.
Should I actually try this using female anatomy?
>>
>>2889513
Try redoing it with actual anatomy
>>
File: Fabulousness2.jpg (258KB, 1112x1178px) Image search: [Google]
Fabulousness2.jpg
258KB, 1112x1178px
>>2889517
K. Here's a more serious approach.
>>
>>2889549
wow, amazing

how are you so good?
>>
>>2889556
Oh, it's no big deal. I'm just a real pro drawer, 10 years in the business, and I artist commissions a lot.
/sarcasm
>>
>>2889005
I've thought about it. Once I master traditional drawing and painting. What can you do professionally as a digital artist aside from vidya games?
>>
>>2889118
Instagram
>>
>>2888938
I don't think anyone could ever miss it. It's like that one ex that no one ever remembers but when she passes by on the street, you do your best to avoid her.
>>
>>2889339
So now Loomis sucks? I've just wasted like 20 hours on this Loomis crap? What do???!!!
>>
>>2889076
>this blind
>draw
>>
>>2889412
Better than my first Igor.
>>
>>2889614
Waste more time at least a thousand more
>>
>>2889513
KEK LEL
>>
>>2889619
I'm never going to make it
>>
>>2889621
You're likely to succeed if you try!
>>
>>2889614
Dont listen to this guy >>2889619
Loomis is crap, dont even attempt it, basically what you want to do, is try all sorts of things to improve, once you see you improve one way, you'll want to do more of that, basically that removes the "need" to listen to other peoples bullcrap and create your own practice schedule
>>
File: 2017-03-08-185925_510x717_scrot.png (95KB, 510x717px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-08-185925_510x717_scrot.png
95KB, 510x717px
>mfw cant draw ass, genetals or nude lolis in general
there goes my easy money
>>
>>2889225
How did you know it was me? Nice to see you every single day though. Hope you're still drawing even today.
>>
>>2889391
Just ask for critique from /draw/. If they say anything other than "loomis" or ">>>/beg/" then you got something good to work with, here, people ironically post "wow that's suck a cool drawing, I like the way her boobs is 2x the size of her headl :))" and nobody gets anything useful
>>
>>2889634
seeking for advice from /ic/ must be the most retardest thing ever
>>
>>2889629
Well, it's rather obvious when you reply with such words to a post in which I admit my surrender to your camp. It's only natural that you'd want to see more deliciously drawn feet, and I'll try my best to live up to those expectations.

Yeah, right now I'm drawing another portrait. Actually I have been drawing things for ten hours by now. I feel strangely energetic today, probably because I completed all of my jobs on Monday and had some proper rest.
>>
File: asd.png (639KB, 1348x1935px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
639KB, 1348x1935px
ehh whatevs
>>
>>2889646
How are you so good?
>>
File: 1468131574611.gif (459KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468131574611.gif
459KB, 500x281px
>>2889395
not really, change the mouth and nose but other than that id still fuck her
>>
File: IMG_20170308_111920.jpg (457KB, 1548x1548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_111920.jpg
457KB, 1548x1548px
How'bout this? I'm missing something about perspective.
>>
>>2889651
Watch Proko's head drawing vids, he has that missing piece
>>
>>2889651
How are you so good?
>>
>>2889658
ii have been drawing for a few years now, still nowhere near where i want to be though but thanks for appreciating my drawing
>>
File: unknown (2).png (418KB, 660x695px) Image search: [Google]
unknown (2).png
418KB, 660x695px
>>2889670
Not want to ruin the party but he's memeing you
>>
>>2889651
sinix just came out with a sweet new vid to help lads like you
https://youtu.be/QBv5z0Y2odE
>>
File: pink hair.png (213KB, 652x478px) Image search: [Google]
pink hair.png
213KB, 652x478px
any feed back?

sorry if I post too much, I just don't have a lot of people to talk to, and this board gives me a good excuse to talk to people
>>
>>2889696
Mouth is in an awkward shape, flatten out that top lip.

Skin tone is too muted, it looks corpse-like. Add more color and brighten it up a bit.
>>
>>2889696
looks like zombie with that green skin
>>
>>2888956
>>2889093
>>2889560
>>2889648
>>2889658
This board has really gone into the toilet.

If this is one guy doing this I sincerely hope and pray you die of ass cancer.
>>
>>2889704
Yeah, same
>>
>>2889696
Clarify the values, it's clear that you don't know what you are doing.
Use a reference. Skin has many hue shifts and doesn't come in that color.
>>
File: belladonna.jpg (99KB, 675x1189px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna.jpg
99KB, 675x1189px
how i do
>>
File: Baka.jpg (316KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Baka.jpg
316KB, 800x800px
Feels like I dun goof'd with the face again.

>>2889704
Well, >>2889560 is mine.
>>
>>2889716
ugly
>>
>>2889716
Why are the eyes squares? Don't add glasses until you can draw proper eyes
>>
File: belladonna.jpg (132KB, 1000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna.jpg
132KB, 1000x1600px
>>2889714
2/?
>>
>>2889719
Basically, for the same reason this one has circles for eyes. That reason being animoo stylization. If you've seen my previous pictures, then you might already know that I (like most animoo artists) draw eyes in whichever way I consider appropriate for the character and their expression.
>>
File: belladonnaa.jpg (70KB, 1000x480px) Image search: [Google]
belladonnaa.jpg
70KB, 1000x480px
>>2889722
3/?
>>
>>2889724
>stylization

Don't even try to "stylize" your work until you can get proper fundamentals down. Many artists make the same mistakes you're making and they will never improve because they can handwave any errors they make as "style".

Don't be lazy. Practice the basics. Only after have you mastered the fundamentals you can add your own spin to them.
>>
>>2889724
the details on the square eyes really shoot the drawing down into uncanny valley.
Also, what expression is square eyes supposed to convey? Surprise is drawn with circular eyes because people widen their eye when they are surprised. When are eyes ever square?
>>
File: belladonnachibi.jpg (125KB, 1000x703px) Image search: [Google]
belladonnachibi.jpg
125KB, 1000x703px
>>2889728
4/?
>>
File: belladonna-postsexualrevolution.jpg (178KB, 1000x1600px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-postsexualrevolution.jpg
178KB, 1000x1600px
>>2889733
5/?
>>
>>2889635
where do i go for advice :(
>>
File: belladonna-hidoionna version.jpg (101KB, 400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-hidoionna version.jpg
101KB, 400x1000px
>>2889742
6/?
>>
File: Eye.jpg (28KB, 279x251px) Image search: [Google]
Eye.jpg
28KB, 279x251px
>>2889731
*sigh* Okay, okay, I get it. Have something closer to a real human eye. Took me about 15 minutes in total. Didn't really bother with the details. Are you satisfied?

>>2889732
They are supposed to convey the will of the author who wanted to draw this character with square eyes. Well, if the shape makes them look so bad, I'll just note that and refrain from drawing them anymore.
>>
>>2889704
It's just one anon who is butthurt because he never received a genuine compliment...
>>
>>2889761
>*sigh*

Not gonna make it talking like a child.
>>
File: pink 3.png (413KB, 896x644px) Image search: [Google]
pink 3.png
413KB, 896x644px
>>2889702
>>2889703
>>2889713
Does the skin look more attractive here?
>>
>>2889761
>that disgusting attitude

Don't be immature about it and actually take it seriously or you won't make it.
>>
>>2889766
More orange and more highlighting
>>
>>2889761
im gonna redline it
>>
File: belladonna-victimized.jpg (158KB, 800x1102px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-victimized.jpg
158KB, 800x1102px
>>2889755
7/?
>>
File: pink 4.png (616KB, 828x703px) Image search: [Google]
pink 4.png
616KB, 828x703px
how about now
>>
>>2889767
>>2889765
Oh, for the love of God...
Am I supposed talk in a really humble tone with ますやです and call you アノン先生? I'm not really a civilized man (even though I'm used to many different cultures) and my knowledge of etiquette is really vague. Let's just assume I'm not trying to be rude to anyone, but I did let my irritation show. I don't think one is supposed to be sorry for that or offended by it when talking on an imageboard, of all places.

>>2889769
Waiting warmly for it.
>>
>>2889779
A little better, push your highlights like on places on top of the breasts, on the cheeks, tip of the nose etc
>>
File: belladonna-suicide.jpg (582KB, 1513x1097px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-suicide.jpg
582KB, 1513x1097px
>>2889770
8/8
Critique?
>>
>>2889781
It's not about being nice to other people. It's not about etiquette. It's about the attitude you have while drawing. If you hate practicing and think of it as a chore then you will never improve.

Shit like this
>Didn't really bother with the details. Are you satisfied?

is unhealthy for your mental state as someone trying to practice getting better. If you don't give a shit why are you drawing?
>>
>>2889716
These eyes are horrifying. It's like you could not decide between stylized anime eyes and real eyes and thought why not both - and out came this abomination.

And you always draw the same fucking with slight changes and a focus on unnecessary details, I have to ask do you have low functioning autism?
>>
File: 9.jpg (855KB, 1864x1635px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
855KB, 1864x1635px
>>2889716
>>
>>2889813
Seeing well-through out and honest critique like this is one of the few reasons I haven't left this shithole yet.
>>
>>2889813
I bet you 10 dollars that in a few hours he will post the same picture with a new hairstyle completely ignoring your advice.
>>
>>2889813
>tfw an abrasive autist gets crits like this meanwhile my work gets meme responses
>>
>>2889827
Read the sticky.
>>
>>2889829
fuck you
>>
>>2889786
No, I don't hate practicing. Why else would I make portraits (of characters whom I don't really care about) each day or draw skulls from different angles (and immediately after that try drawing human heads, using those skulls as a reference)?
It's just that I don't get the need to prove to someone else that I can draw normal-looking eyes when we talk about stylization. The stylization looks bad, okay, I get it, it wasn't a good choice, I'll keep that in mind. Why assume that I can't draw eyes normally? And since I perfectly understand that nobody would believe a beginner's word, I became irritated from the necessity to draw an eye just to support my point.

>>2889789
I have been told that on the imageboards sometimes, but the only thing abnormal that was ever confirmed is a mild OCD with a kinda high IQ. That was five years ago, though, and my condition has been steadily improving ever since I started living on my own.

Although "you always draw the same fucking with slight changes" part is bullshit, I'd still like to inquire about those "unnecessary details" you notice. What are those, exactly?

>>2889813
Oh, thanks for that. Saved.
I tried to use little girl images in the Loomis book as a guide, but didn't find that exact angle for them, so I just kinda went and tried to assume how it should look, based on the images from another angles.
Also mind that her face is slightly tilted to her left shoulder, so the jawline should be okay in its current position (although it shouldn't even be visible, because the tilt makes it disappear).

>>2889824
Kinda retarded there, aren't we both?
>>
>>2889820
And the other critiques he received were not honest?

Look at these, fucking look at these, and look at the timestamps. They are days apart:

>>2887974
>>2887999
>>2885919
>>2884461
>>2884928
>>2885036

And that's not even all of them.

He posts the same fucking face with slightly different hair each day, sometimes multiple times per day.

He received lots of advice. Some harsh, some mean, but lots of good and honest advice as well.

It's not people who give factual but harsh or even mean critiques who make this place a shithole, it's stubborn underage autists like him. If you completely ignore any advice you receive and make excuses like "well I didn't care when drawing this" then why even bother uploading it? If you obviously don't care why should we care?
>>
File: Graphic3.jpg (365KB, 864x555px) Image search: [Google]
Graphic3.jpg
365KB, 864x555px
>>2888240
I hope this isn't too impenetrable. I'm expanding on my observations from yesterday by trying to add value. I'm also trying to draw a go-to imagination object, simpler than people but more complex than plants: a platypus
>>
>>2889841
>the only thing abnormal that was ever confirmed is a mild OCD with a kinda high IQ.

People with high IQ usually detest mindless repetition and develop skills fast.

>I have been told that on the imageboards sometimes

Most likely because you do mindless repetition without analyzing what you do and focus too much on details instead of the big picture / fundamentals.

And you lack the social knowledge to realize that if 20 different people tell you something that they might be onto something and that it might be you who is wrong about something, for example:

>so the jawline should be okay in its current position

Do you think you are an more experienced drawer than that guy?

It's exactly as I said.

You will completely ignore the advice you received. Advice that others like >>2889827 would be thankful and glad for. That's what makes this place a shithole.

>I'd still like to inquire about those "unnecessary details" you notice. What are those, exactly?

Why bother drawing hairs with a 3pixel brush before you can draw a proper head, chinline and nose?
>>
>>2889414
Thanks! And yeah i used watered down charcoal
>>
File: seeneeex.jpg (79KB, 1280x812px) Image search: [Google]
seeneeex.jpg
79KB, 1280x812px
>>2888927
>the pic that started it all
>>
File: belladonna-wip.png (294KB, 642x761px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-wip.png
294KB, 642x761px
>>2889785
>tfw nobody cares bot your drawings
pls atleast gib advice on this, first time doing "this" kind of drawing, already spent a hour on it
>>
>>2889824
>>2889841
I won that bet. I knew that this would be exactly be what will happen. He cannot see anything wrong with his masterpiece. It's everyone else who must be wrong. Wrong about that picture, wrong about the way he approaches drawing and practice.

>so the jawline should be okay in its current position

I don't get why if he knows it all better he still bothers to ask us idiots for opinions.

And tomorrow that guy will again receive harsh words and some idiot will come crying about how unfair of an shithole /ic/ is for shitting on that guy.

>>2889820
>>2889820
>>2889820
>>2889820
>>2889820
>>2889820
>>
File: hair 4.png (477KB, 1096x696px) Image search: [Google]
hair 4.png
477KB, 1096x696px
>>2889784
thank you for your support, I think your advice really made it pull the look together
>>
>>2889844
>>2885919 is not mine. It's even drawn in a completely different style, silly. And if you think the faces of different characters looks the same, then you should make a visit to an eye doctor. The only thing that is consistent is the angle of those faces (and clothes, because ZUN apparently likes collars).

Me ignoring advice is also not true. In case you didn't notice, I'm actually listening to suggestions for making the portraits look better. And, like, stop fucking using that failed Yuuka portrait to prove your point about me being an impenetrable retard. No matter how stubborn I may be when it comes to Yuuka, I'm able to understand my mistakes and learn from them. Don't make me bring out the very first portrait from this angle I did, or you'll really bleed your eyes out.

>>2889856
>> People with high IQ usually detest mindless repetition and develop skills fast.
I have been told that I fit this image even more often than I'm being described as autistic. Really, don't make me bring out my first pictures, you'll never be able to unsee them.

>> Most likely because you do mindless repetition without analyzing what you do and focus too much on details instead of the big picture / fundamentals.
Not really. At least I believe that I'm trying to analyze what I'm seeing or trying to draw.

>> an more experienced drawer
Okay, I chuckled. Thanks for clearing up the mood.
No, I don't think I'm a more experienced artist, or painter, or whatever you wish to call this hobby/trade/occupation. However, I do note that I can draw some things better than people who generally draw much better than me. And if I receive critique, must I be a silent lamb or a less experienced colleague who can nonetheless voice his opinion?

>>2889878
Damn, what a retarded kid you are. I won't even bother to reply in detail.
>>
>>2889881
>> However, I do note that I can draw some things better than people who generally draw much better than me.
And, to stop some retard from taking my words out of context again, I'm NOT saying that I believe I know anything related to anatomy better.
>>
>>2889881
>I do note that I can draw some things better than people who generally draw much better than me

You're literally deluded. Your work is below amateur and you don't seem to realize it. Why ask for advice if you're just going to end up arguing with the person who gave it to you?
>>
>>2889881
like i said earlier

such a repulsive attitude you must be a thorn in the side of anybody you're around irl
>>
>>2889879
No problem anon, good luck
>>
>>2889885
Well, see, I was too late. Oy-vey.

>>2889886
Or maybe you just live in a whole different society.
>>
>>2889881
>No, I don't think I'm a more experienced artist, or painter, or whatever you wish to call this hobby/trade/occupation.

When my doctors tells me that I'm sick I would not argue with him. I might ask a second doctor, if it's really serious I would perhaps ask a third one.

And at that point I would believe them. I would believe that I somehow happen to things better than people with much more experience.

Because I'm aware of the dunning kruger effect. People who are bad at something don't even know how bad they are. The knowledge of what is required to get good and to understand the difference between good and bad is part of the skill, as such it's impossible for people who haven't mastered that skill to know that.

>>2889881
>No matter how stubborn I may be when it comes to Yuuka, I'm able to understand my mistakes and learn from them.

Do you think you do so quickly or slowly?
>>
File: 1488823547073.jpg (94KB, 1200x767px) Image search: [Google]
1488823547073.jpg
94KB, 1200x767px
Guys please. Just try to enjoy drawing for once.
>>
File: slash ick.png (143KB, 783x220px) Image search: [Google]
slash ick.png
143KB, 783x220px
>>2889897
i had fun drawing ths. am i ready for Bargue copies, /v/?
>>
>>2889716
reminds me of the habbo hotel people
>>
>>2889892
>> When my doctors tells me that I'm sick I would not argue with him.
Well, rarely two or more people say the same thing that's fundamentally different from "you're a fucking retard and you draw shit". I tend to ignore such comments as I regard them as trolling.

>> Do you think you do so quickly or slowly?
Please define what's quick and slow first. I can't give a definite answer to that question. I notice some mistakes immediately after I learn to do something the right way, and simply looking at those mistakes causes me shame and physical discomfort. The others are really hard to notice, and it can take weeks to understand them. It may be related to the extent I enjoyed drawing the original flawed picture (or how much time I spent on it). Probably I won't notice what's wrong with my naked Remilia until after I let her lie untouched for a month. Or until I learn anatomy better. I'm not a fortune teller, so I won't know until it happens. And since I have received some critique about my anatomy and foreshortening, I'll eventually notice it. Up until now, the only pictures which look good even after a month are the few met with only positive comments.
>>
>>2889927
You are the same guy who draws these remi pictures? Where you make small changes based on what anons tell you without ever fully understanding them and half of the time making things worse?

Wow. You are the scientific proof that god doesn't exist and that there is no hope.

Working on the same picture for an eternity without a result and you still ask me to define what is slow?

THIS.

THIS is the definition of slow.
>>
>>2889927
>Please define what's quick and slow first.

Well, for instance, taking up an entire thread meant for the well being of others because you've got several anons trying to talk some sense into your thick fucking skull of yours could be an indicator of mental deficiencies

Not to mention you haven't improved a single bit since you started posting your work
>>
File: belladonna-wip.png (389KB, 564x775px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-wip.png
389KB, 564x775px
>>2889876
fuck this drawing, coloring is fucking horrid
>>
>>2889939
>taking up an entire thread meant for the well being of others

Considering that he draws an anime character with a commie hat I'm not surprised that he is an living example of the tragedy of the commons.
>>
>>2889955
glad you actually started trying, your first eight posts i thought i was being trolled.
you used a reference for this right? while you're blocking in values/lines you want to spend more time with your eyes on the ref than on the drawing, but you want your pen to be moving 100% of the time
>>
>>2889968
Those first eight posts are warming up, also yes I did use reference, see pic related.
As you can see the colors are litearly the same on the reference, what I was trying to achieve with the drawing was something like this >>2889869
But I failed horribly, looking at a reference wont help me with that. Since the colors used aren't the same if you want to achieve a drawing like that
>>
File: belladonna-wip2.png (806KB, 1157x642px) Image search: [Google]
belladonna-wip2.png
806KB, 1157x642px
>>2889977
forgot pic
>>
>>2889939
Hey, nobody told me to GTFO when I asked if that's what people here wish. Therefore, it's not necessary, as are yours pointless arguments, accusations, and assumptions.

>>2889938
See, so we've got a single point clear. I can draw a picture for a whole day in total and still not see what's wrong with it, because I lack knowledge that allows me to see what's wrong with it. Now then, let's compare the finished Yuuka's portrait and Youmu's portrait, the difference in time between drawing them being about five hours. Oh wow, the second one actually looks human. Now that's quite fast for such a retard, isn't it? Even though Yuuka's portrait still looks pretty in my eyes, in a matter of five hours, without any practice in between, I realized how to make a proper 3/4 adult portrait (although I apparently need better reference for drawing little kids). You may laugh that five hours is totally slow too, but some people draw the same shit for years without improving, and there's an enormous difference between me in the first weeks of January, when I'd just started, and me of today. Eventually I'll learn how to do anatomy and foreshortening properly too, and I'd very much like to see some retards make a bet about me never making it (let alone making it in a timespan of a year). I love to disappoint haters.

>>2889957
I wonder if you are the same fatso as the one who claimed he's nazi. For the time being, I'll just assume you are.
>>
>>2889978
her face and chin looks to wide and her chin a bit too low, it looks a kinda like a man crossdressing.
>>
>>2889981
just ignore those idiots anon, all they can do is be all condescending and shit and give crap advice
>>
>>2889982
Thats the point, silly anon, Belladona is a girl with many personalities ^-~
>>
>>2889983
Hey, I can easily tell that's trolling. I may be stubborn, but I'm not dumb and I certainly don't lack experience trolling or dealing with trolls.
>>
File: see_it_like_we_do.png (447KB, 752x778px) Image search: [Google]
see_it_like_we_do.png
447KB, 752x778px
>>2889981
>>2889981
>without any practice in between, I realized how to make a proper 3/4 adult portrait

You did not.

I'm uploading your picture mirrored. One way to check your own failures is to mirror the image, this is one way to perceive our drawings as if it were a foreign drawing made by someone else, at least to some degree. Sometimes we get so accustomed to a drawing that we cannot see it's failures. Because when you look at something for a long time your brain considers that normal.

I hope you can now perceive your drawing the way we do. Now tell me, and please be honest and do not be biased because you have a grudge against me, I know I'm an asshole today and yesterday, if that head form, chinline and nose looks decent to you. If you still consider it a proper 3/4 portrait.
>>
>>2889981
It's such an honor to meet the real life Andrew Dobson, I'm a big fan of your ability to perceive all criticism as trolling or people out to get you.

A once in a lifetime meeting really.
>>
File: 1452824523434.jpg (35KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1452824523434.jpg
35KB, 640x640px
>>2889994
what an abomination
>>
>>2889994
drawing seems alright, why you gotta be so salty someone else draws better than you?
>>
>>2890003
>>2889994
Right? Even seeing that weird face shape every day on /beg/ threads makes it kind of look normal over time?
>>
/beg/ is literal cancer with all the "skilled" tards pouring in trying to think they're some second coming of Christ giving their """much appreciated advice""" to the """losers""" just trying their best
>>
>>2889994
>> You did not.
Thank you, silly, but why did you even assume it was an adult portrait, when I went to the trouble of specifically adding the word "adult" and already recognized that this portrait is bad? I wanted to draw a stupid kid with puffy cheeks who thinks she's really clever (yeah, I get the irony too) by putting on someone else's glasses (roughly modeled after my own) and making a smug face. I understand that not everyone knows at least this much about Touhou, so I won't be calling anyone an idiot for not knowing one of its most famous characters. Now, I need some rest, so excuse me for some hours.

To remind you, the adult portraits which I consider to be drawn somewhat properly are >>2887974 and >>2886537 (the right one).
>>
>>2890034
>> who thinks she's really clever
Who tries to look really clever, I mean.
>>
File: 1488243205557.jpg (256KB, 1080x1283px) Image search: [Google]
1488243205557.jpg
256KB, 1080x1283px
>>2890034
dafuq, is this autism?
>>
>>2890040
It's either autism or denial, I'm not certain.
>>
hey /ic/, I have a question. I've been drawing seriously for a little while and I feel like I grasp forms and value fairly well but I struggle with drawing from imagination and with color.

Environments are difficult to me too, and I have to pretty much copy reference pictures to create a cohesive background and then I struggle with rendering a figure so that it looks like it belongs in the environment. This is what you're supposed to do, right? Try to draw things yourself but if you struggle with them you look up reference to build up your visual library and you gradually get better because of that.

I've been trying to paint pictures of interesting places and shit but it just seems like I'm getting nowhere.
>>
File: 1476560481374.png (93KB, 295x221px) Image search: [Google]
1476560481374.png
93KB, 295x221px
Why do you guys waste time replying to someone like this >>2890034

Go reply to the people who would actually appreciate crit and will actually listen. You don't play chess with pigeons because they just end up knocking all the pieces down and shitting on the board; same reasoning applies here.
>>
File: Cheerno.jpg (203KB, 706x646px) Image search: [Google]
Cheerno.jpg
203KB, 706x646px
I drew a picture, I've been working on it all day.

Tell me how to get better /ic/ but don't say my drawing is bad, it's not bad it's anime style and if you keep saying it's bad I know you're a troll and will ignore you so don't point out flaws.

But yeah, how do I get better?
>>
>>2890052
10/10
>>
>>2890052
is this a new epic maymay
>>
>>2890045
There is nothing wrong about using references, even when doing imagination drawing.
>>
>>2889395
it completly does
not ugly tho, the eyes themselves are well drawn, you miss out the placement a lot

eyes are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to separated from each other, nose is perhaps a bit too small, mouth is way to far from it should be
>>
>>2890052
is this a new meme?
>>
>>2890052
blog?
>>
>>2890052
how are you so good?
>>
>>2889395
For an anime style it's not bad but the nose needs work
>>
>>2890052
doesn't look smug enough. have you even tried?
>>
File: style.png (498KB, 1047x573px) Image search: [Google]
style.png
498KB, 1047x573px
>>2889981
>>
>>2889395
All the facial features could be fixed. Everything else is awesome.
>>
>>2889704
Nah, another anon keeps using my line even though I'm serious.
>>
>>2890063
No I get that, but I can't make anything without a reference. I guess I'm too early in my studies to really make anything I think is worthwhile.
>>
>>2890093
>can't make anything without a reference

Please be week one. It's going to be like this for a long time. A very long time, in fact - and even when you're five or six years into drawing and you try to pick up a new subject matter, you're back to square one with references. But by then you'll be better at internalizing certain things and it'll be faster to integrate whatever you're drawing into your visual library but remember that industry professionals use ref all the time.
>>
>>2890093
That's normal. We believe that we know how things look like in our imagination but that is not true. If you got the mechanical skill to draw lines and shapes as you imagine them, then whatever you draw from your imagination represents your actual imagination of these things and you will soon realize that these are very fragmented.

I would never attempt a finished drawing without reference, however attempting to draw something without reference and seeing what you struggle with or get wrong is a great way to figure out what you should practice on.
>>
File: IMG_20170308_202009755.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_202009755.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>2888927
I tried to do it with pencil and pen
>>
>>2890097
I'm referring to rendering specifically, I haven't touched rendering at all and it's incredibly difficult for me, even with Scott Robertson's book. It seems like it comes much easier for everyone else and I feel like I'm understanding something wrong.

I know that if you've never drawn a bison before you need to use a reference to figure out how to draw one, I'm not an idiot.

>>2890102
It seems like I just need to keep practicing what I'm already practicing, then. Thanks.
>>
>>2889410
loomis
>>
>>2890110
What is your difficulty with rendering? If it's finding the highlights and shadows train drawing and rendering the basic shapes (sphere, cylinder, cube) or make realistic still lifes of cloth thrown over stuff.
>>
>>2890111
haha i get it anon :^)
>>
I'm struggling with drawing knees even after learning some anatomy, any advice?
>>
>>2890133
>tfw requested an anon for a tutorial on this
>anon never came back after getting three requests for tutorials
I just do what other anime artists do. Lines brah. I think Krenz does knees like crazy though.
>>
>>2890133
Where did you study from? I found the two sources that helped me the most with knees were Bridgman and some of Kevin Chen's demos. They are a tricky joint since there are so many tendons, muscles, and bony protrusions there, and then it looks drastically different from person to person and depending on what the knee is doing. But they all have the same anatomy, it's just how the structures appear that changes. So being able to recognize those structures is the first step, then afterwards draw a lot of knees from life and photos and you will start to understand them more and more.
>>
>>2890137
A pdf for sculpting someone uploaded here, it was really great for learning anatomy because it had 3d scans and models.

Before that I tried learning anatomy from bridgman but I found him really difficult because it was just 2d and he draws very "curvy".
>>
>my work didn't get a single (You)
It's that bad huh?
>>
>>2889704
How are you so good?
>>
File: Rustpainting4.png (196KB, 1000x708px) Image search: [Google]
Rustpainting4.png
196KB, 1000x708px
An update. fixed hands, added gun and ammo, added medical kit. currently trying to figure out how to make the rock look real
>>
>>2890168
That guy should be missing a leg.
>>
>>2890172
yea, thought id put him somewhat in a danger zone to help add suspense and action.
>>
File: 20170308_190116.jpg (50KB, 628x775px) Image search: [Google]
20170308_190116.jpg
50KB, 628x775px
Is it a waste of time to start out copying pictures of plants and animals and stuff? Specifically pictures; I'm aware of the value of studying any real object. Like 99% of you im ultimately more interested in drawing humanoid figures but right now it feels sort of overwhelming to tackle a human likeness.

Sorry I dont have the reference for pic. More interested in the question than a critique anyway.
>>
>>2890175
Im not good at art yet so you can skip what i think, but many of the animators of disney's sketchbooks have more animal sketches than humans, Id say go for it. either way will help enforce the idea of blocking and further developing figures, which you can then use on humans.
>>
>>2890168
The elbow ends slighty above the naval. In the upper and lower arm there is a single very straight bone connected by a joint. The arms cannot bend, the movement comes from the joint between.
>>
>>2890168
not gonna make it
>>
say it with me lads: ALL THIS PRACTICE AND IM STILL SHIT
>>
>>2890201
You cant be worse than me anon, post your art
>>
>>2890201
I may still be shit, but I'm much better than I was before. Praise the sticky.
>>
>>2890207
give it a week and ill post again
i try to only post when im not sure what to practise next.
>>
>>2890201
say it with me lads: STOP UNDERESTIMATING THE TIME IT TAKES TO IMPROVE
>>
>>2890168
this drawing is not gonna make it, but you still can. draw a whole new body (with an actual picture of the pose you want open) and come back
>>
File: selfie4.jpg (184KB, 763x886px) Image search: [Google]
selfie4.jpg
184KB, 763x886px
Me, first head sketch after studying Reilly heads. From about a week ago.
>>
>>2890292
Gonna make it.
>>
File: wat.jpg (65KB, 911x672px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
65KB, 911x672px
>>2890168
My attempt at this pose.
>>
>>2890301
Isn't the pelvis supposed to turn with the torso?
>>
>>2890302
If you stand still, can you twist your upper body in a direction without moving your legs or can you do so while sitting?

Remember that your legs are attached to the sides of the pelvis and that the direction the pelvis front is pointing towards is perpendicular to the legs/buttocks. I hope that rather technical description makes sense to you, english isn't my mothers tongue.
>>
Test post. Is it /ic/ down?

>>2890292

Is it your neck really that thin? It doesn't fit at least in that drawing considering your age guessing by the beard
>>
File: study.png (113KB, 610x733px) Image search: [Google]
study.png
113KB, 610x733px
This is a short study but I-m struggling with proportion, whenever I try to make it more similar to the ref it looks inhuman and wird
>>
File: sphere.jpg (34KB, 769x829px) Image search: [Google]
sphere.jpg
34KB, 769x829px
Is there a program to put spheres, cubes and all that shit and adjust lightning so I can see how things work?

I mean, I thought I knew how shit worked until I tried doing it, but it looks wrong.
>>
File: 1455429684097.jpg (87KB, 712x950px) Image search: [Google]
1455429684097.jpg
87KB, 712x950px
>>2890322
this is the ref c:
>>
>>2890323
Blender.
>>
>>2890323
>I thought I knew how shit worked until I tried doing it, but it looks wrong.

I can relate to that.
>>
>>2890331
It's literally drawing in a nutshell.

>easy enough
>tries it out
>oh shit this ain't working

Then you learn to appreciate artists and how amazing they are.
>>
>>2890329
Noice, thanks.
>>
Practicing drawing clothes and different line work settings. Any tips to improve?
>>
File: 3-8.png (177KB, 773x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3-8.png
177KB, 773x1000px
>>2890357
forgot pic
>>
>>2890360
>>2890357
This looks really good.
>>
>>2890364
thank you but i feel like my lines are lacking things.
>>
File: 2017-03-07 22.34.36.jpg (194KB, 1000x840px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-07 22.34.36.jpg
194KB, 1000x840px
Roast me
>>
>>2890338
God damn niggers, it seems the light reflection isn't within the program or some shit like that, what the actual fuck.
>>
>>2890371
nostrils at the wrong angle
mouth is off
besides that, pretty good
nice hair
>>
>>2890381
Thank you anon <3
>>
>>2890371
The nose is a LITTLE off it seems and so is the neck. I'd also say add more shading around the eye so it doesn't look so flat. It's good but just minor mistakes are noticeable. Good job though.
>>
File: fairy.jpg (1MB, 3999x3508px) Image search: [Google]
fairy.jpg
1MB, 3999x3508px
Hey guys, what do you guys think of this sketch?
I'm remaking this fairy-elf-kind-of drawing that I originally made back in 2011. As you can see my anatomy skills were not very existent.
How can I improve my structure?
>>
File: aaa.jpg (92KB, 659x578px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
92KB, 659x578px
>>2890387
WOW sorry about the picture size!!!
here is a print screen resolution!!
>>
>>2890387
How did you get that background filter effect on the original?
>>
>>2890389
practice gestures first. Your drawing feels stiffer than the reference. and the way she's looking down isn't similar either.
>>
>>2890370
You could try thickening some lines, for example the outlines of the jacket to flesh out shapes a little better
>>
>>2890387
>>2890389
Well first off you need to quit symbol drawing, look at her face and look at yours

Draw what you see instead of what you think you see
>>
>>2890292
Thanks! Will keep grinding
>>2890319
You're right, that hadn't stood out to me yet. Cheers for the feedback anon.
>>
>>2890052
Not grinch enough, make her more green
>>
>>2890052
>copied the superfluous lines on the neck as well
10/10
>>
>>2890301
you made his right leg at a different angle
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 88

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.