[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pcbg/ - PC Building General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 49

File: am4_platform_chipset.jpg (38KB, 620x257px) Image search: [Google]
am4_platform_chipset.jpg
38KB, 620x257px
Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
https://pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
http://pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with >>>/g/pcbg

Old Thread >>59120066
>>
hello fa/g/gots pls r8
>>
I want to build a PC for internetting and occasional non-processor-intensive gaming, but I'm stuck on the notion of two 1440p (60hz) monitors.

CPU and GPU recommendations?
>>
>>59141735
Budget build? I bought the same board and realized my mistake soon after.

If you can budget anything more, get a better mobo. Perhaps a Z270 like mine. Asus Prime has some good Z270's
>>
>>59141760
literally what's wrong with the board
>>
>>59141735

>non-k i5
>Noctua
>2133
>paying so much for 500gb SSD while buying non-k i5
>buying extra noctua fans while your CPU is shit...

If you can't wait for the R5 series or R3 series, atleast get top of the line i5 by not buying extra case fans from Noctua and get 250gb SSD
>>
File: Screenshot 2017-02-26 19.05.37.png (83KB, 1140x680px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2017-02-26 19.05.37.png
83KB, 1140x680px
>>59141681
Am I doing okay? I'd like to keep it around 1k but most things should be bought from amazon or bestbuy, as shipping to HI is shit. Currently this puts me at $940, so I'm pretty happy but willing to take advice.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y29qVY
>>
>>59141768
Nothing wrong but left no room for growth.

Also I was retarded and got latest gen so that board wouldn't support my chip.
>>
File: 1449548983249.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
1449548983249.png
296KB, 649x649px
>>59141681
>Wait for Ryzen General
See you guys in a few days.
>>
Is this a good mobo? I cant seem to find many things that work with lga1155. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JKjG3C/intel-motherboard-boxdh77eb
>>
File: CDM-SSHD.jpg (45KB, 400x369px) Image search: [Google]
CDM-SSHD.jpg
45KB, 400x369px
hopefully the last anon I was asisting is still here this message is for you.

yeah I helped out a bit there I saw in the list you posted you still had the 32GB config for the ram I changed it to 16 in quad channel for you. That hard drive you picked is for surveillance camera storage (nowhere near plausible for computer use.) so I replaced that for you too with a much cheaper hybrid drive SSHD it kicks as far as hard drives go it is much faster.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9pTbGf
>>
>>59141805
- Get rid of that CPU/Mobo combi, they are too expensive and you do not need the speed for gaming or anything at all. Generally speaking, you NEVER want to buy the most newest intel processors out there. They are waaay overpriced and only """geeks""" with 400k monthly disposable income get those. Either get a FX8350 or wait for Ryzen
- Fix your PSU, get something around 650-750watt with gold or platinum certified(Lower electricity bills and generally longer longevity for the PSU)
- Fix the GPU as well, do not buy from XFX, they put the LOUDEST and most horrible fans on the cards, your GPU is gonna run hot and its gonna sound like a airplane bout to take off. Try MSI, they generally do good around GPUs
- Remove that SSD and replace it with a 3TB HDD for the same price, there is no reason why you would even want to go for a SSD, those things are too expensive. HDDs generally have longer lifespans and alot cheaper.
- If you're willing to pay a little extra, get a noctua nh-d15 for your CPU, that thing runs generally the same as a 212 EVO if not better, and they are Extremely quiet(which is a HUGE +)
- Dont know much bout your that pc case, but you might wanna buy some extra pc fans (140mm, since they are more quiet than 120mm and provide better airflow)
>>
Reposting
>>59141137
>since you mentioned pcsx2 emulation you may want to skip on the xeon it isn't really good for dolphin/pcsx2. What you need in that case is a i5 4690k to overclock with a decent air cooler like the hyper 212.
>The rx 460 will run newer games at medium high settings at 1080p around 40-45 fps. I recommend keeping it because it's a 100 dollar card and the lowest end of this gen. Any lower your getting last gen hardware and you will be ripped off unless you buy used. Photoshop will run a lot better with it. But for emulation I5-4690k + rx 460 is king trust me on this one. Emulators are more focused on single core performance while Xeons are good for, video editing, programming and general professional work, the base clock is to low for emulating and you can't overclock them
In that case this is what I'd be looking at
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XdQCqk

Dropped to 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, with Fractal Mini C case and Evo 212, comes out to $730, $690 if I get the 2TB refurbished. Note that partpicker lists $880, but the 4690k can be found used on ebay buy it now for $180 ($100 cheaper), possibly less in auction. How's this look to you?

Sorry I forgot about PCSX2 but yea, now that I remember, that was another motivation for wanting to put together a desktop PC.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DzJCqk

Please give me recommendations for a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.
>>
>>59142052
Anon, please dont buy a mini case with mATX, especially one with a window if you intend to game. Everything inside is gonna run extremely hot.
>>
Question - Lost my job, and money is getting tight, looking to sell my PC i built back in 2014 - along with what is on the list I'm throwing in some randoms stuff, extra cables, thumb drive, 2 unused cans of compraised air, extra thermal past, etc, just random small extras not worth anything, currently it doesn't have a SDD or HDD just because I want to keep all the stuff on it, I CAN IF NEEDED buy a 1tb drive, slap it in there, and get win10 or win7 in there. Would anyone be able to help me price this? - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bHHvvV
>>
Is 2 monitors necessary?
>>
>>59142097
I'll buy that GTX970 for 50$ anon
Got email?
>>
>>59142110
No, but you want to get 2 monitors if you're into coding/like having multiple monitors. If you play videogames, you want a big monitor instead. (You can always buy a small extra one if you want to keep a desktop next to your game open)
Its generally personal preference of what you want, but 2 monitors is always cheaper than 1 big monitor
>>
>>59141681
Should I get a 950 Pro or 960? Is the price difference worth it?
>>
>>59142039
Thanks for your opinions, I need a computer sooner than later, I'm not waiting for Ryzen. Last thread someone mentioned XFX being the best of the RX480s, I'll probably stick with that unless there is some argument other than too loud. I can buy more memory later, I'll stick with an SSD for OS and whatever programs fit. I'll definitely look at these cooling options.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
>>59142090
I didn't realize windows effect heat. Tbh I'd prefer my case without one, but it's always an increase to price. What do you think about a Corsair Obsidian 350D? It's on the larger size of mATX cases.

Otherwise, if you can recommend a mid tower case small in size/weight, sub-$100 and no-nonsense/industrial in aesthetics, I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>59142110
no, but it makes many things easier, even if you have a shitty 4 3 monitor
>>
>>59142246

Phantaks Enthoo Pro

Has room for a large CPU radiator, and a large 200mm fan for GPU/mobo cooling
>>
>>59141735
complete waste/10
>>
>>59142242
Please don't blindly follow what other people say on /g/, do your own research. Check which is the best brand for the RX480, watch youtube videos, benchmarks etc. I seriously would put some question marks if someone said that XFX is the best.
>>
>>59142246
Phanteks P400s Tempered glass, and side panel windows don't actually effect temperatures that much. Don't listen to that guy.
>>
>>59142246
Metal helps to dissipate the heat from inside to the outside air, glass/plastic doesn't do that as effectively. Also going full metal helps for EM shielding, which reduces chances of getting cancer
>>
>>59142370
If the case has a bigger metal surface than heat can transfer to almost each area of the case. Which helps alot for getting rid of the heat inside the case since metal doesn't retain the heat for very long. Glass on the other side will keep the heat inside, and yes I do realise its on the side but the fact you don't have for the space of glass, metal instead is a HUGE waste of space and will make your PC run hotter.
>>
>>59141735
>0,5TB SSD for 160$
>You could buy 10TB for that price
why do people keep falling for the SSD scam
>>
File: image-20170226_153959.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170226_153959.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>59141681
• Asus Z170-AR Mobo
• Corsair Dominator LPC DDR4 2133 ram (16GB, 2x8GB dual channel)
• i5-6400
• SeaSonic 850-X
• Asus Strix 1080
• Fractal Design Core 3500 Window case
• Seagate 2TB HDD
• 5 140mm case fans, a Corsair SP-140, 2 Corsair ML-140, and two of the ones that came with the case
• Corsair... H60... I think? It's a shit cooler but does the job.

Got the rig used with an HIS reference R9 280 and an Enermax 1200W PSU that took a dump on me and no Corsair fans and one stick of 8GB DDR4 EEC Registered server memory for some reason. Dirty and smelled like cigarettes and schmegma, now it's clean and smells like one day old GPU
>>
>>59142402
Are you autistic?
>>
>>59142427
Oh and a cheap ass Dell 1600x900 monitor that doesn't even have HDMI or DP connection. Was $20 with a keyboard lol
>>
>>59142416
Its a lot faster and not everyone is a poor neet like you
>>
Cant decide on a case
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WhWnM8
>>
>>59142476
There's a Tempered Glass version of that case.
>>
>>59142277
>>59142370
Alright, thanks fellas. I'll compare the two, Enthoo Pro was actually what I was considering earlier. Can you tell me how the rest of the build looks?

My criteria from last thread:
>>59140468
>My need is primarily a PC that I can use to download and store large amounts of data, handle 2 1080p monitors and handle emulating and routing SNES/PSX era games to a CRT TV. I'd use the PC first for heavy internet browsing with 100+ tabs spread between iridium & qt-browser; otherwise use it for relatively light photoshop and html work in dreamweaver as well coding in java, ruby, c++. I'd also want it to run 2007 and earlier games (Crysis, or later indies like E.Y.E, Stalker) and emulate PCSX2 and earlier generations at at least 30FPS and at moderate quality.
>>
>>59141681
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/B8LVZ8
Can I do any better with a ~$1k budget?
>>
>>59142607
Here
>>59142476
>>
File: build.png (68KB, 1151x751px) Image search: [Google]
build.png
68KB, 1151x751px
Looking for some advice. Building my first computer. The GPU is a hand-me-down from a friend but I'll definitely be upgrading it in the future. For now, this is what I have planned. Any ideas for improvements?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QMy7nn
>>
>>59142518
Trying to hide my psu and keep an all white theme
>>
>>59142650
I guess it doesnt matter if my gpu is black tho
>>
Can we have a line in the OP that the 212 evo is outperformed by the Cryorig H7? In most regions the h7 is the same price, and has a significantly easier mounting kit. Much better choice for those entry level overclocks.
That said, if the 212 is $5-10 cheaper i'd probably opt for it instead.
I ask, because this seems to come up every thread.
>>
>>59142684
There are newer versions of the 212 though, it's just that the Evo is the most well-known model.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7L9sPs

Think we need to change something here?
>>
>>59142607
See >>59142684
Also see the OP line;
>If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

-212 evo is a little newer and 1-2c better than the Plus, only $2 more right now on newegg. Ignore that $5 rebate, quite literally not worth your time. I'd recommend the h7 over either of them though.
-I'd also shave off $20, instead get the EVGA GQ 650w for $73. 99% the same quality if you aren't doing 6-hour long 3d rendering projects maxing out your power draw. For a gaming rig, the difference is negligible. That extra 100w juice will be nice if you plan to expand in the future too.
-Ask yourself if you really want that tempered glass. It costs a little more, adds fragility and weight. It's also a finger print magnet. Be ready to clean that bad boy at least once every two weeks with a microfiber cloth or something.
Other than those couple of points, I'd say it's pretty much ready to go.
>>
>>59142720
There's the hyper 212x but it throws price-performance ratio out the window, which is the whole point of that product line. The $40-50 cooler scene is much more competitive.
>>
>>59142751
Alright, thanks for the input.
>>
>>59142736
>If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.
Offhand though, that SSD seems... old? If it's just a carryover from another computer and you're happy with it though don't bother swapping it.
Motherboard and Power supply seem wayyyy overpriced for the level of hardware you're putting in the rest of the machine. Any particular reason? The pro carbon board doesn't offer a ton over the z270 sli plus from the same maker, besides maybe a little better vrm's and whatever, but you are using an air cooler so I doubt you will be pushing the OC to the point that will matter at all. You chose a case with no window, so i doubt the LED's are why you chose it.

That power supply seems silly. A nicely made bronze or gold unit won't burn your house down. A sub 600w will hardly tug at your power bill at all so that's not really a reason for a platinum pSu.
>>
File: 1447841898038.gif (2MB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1447841898038.gif
2MB, 320x287px
>finally saved up enough for my first PC
>want to get the new ryzen 1600x
>wont be out in fuck knows how long, have been waiting this whole time because of ryzen meme
>mfw
>>
>>59142852
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zdjY8K
Here I saved you over $100. The cooler was really a "just because". I know it oc's very well. Honestly the $40 cpu cooler range is extremely crowded so you might have to shop around a bit and see which one is right for you. I'm sure the be quiet one is more than fine too.
>>
>>59142852
>Sorry! I guess I am after a combination of both, neeing to have my stupid mistakes pointed out.

This is my first time trying to piece somethign together, and I am quite unknowledgeable.

I will change the motherboard for a z270 sli plus then.

Any recommendations for power and SSD? I also need to get a 144hz monitor, and would love it to be 31/32 inches. Are there any good go-to's?

I greatly appreciate this, you're a huge help!
>>
>>59142895
Honestly you probably should have just bought into Sky/Kabylake if you've been waiting for more than a month or two. But now you're in that "well shit, it's literally on our doorstep" phase.
Hopefully this can sate your thirst for a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaTvSI0K_vA
>>
File: 133653811.jpg (198KB, 1100x900px) Image search: [Google]
133653811.jpg
198KB, 1100x900px
So, uh, has anyone given any thought to the fact that despite the awesome savings on Ryzen/possible Intel price cuts we're gonna be paying out the ass on every other part because of the demand? RAM prices are fucking insane right now...
>>
>>59142909
Thanks a lot! Noticed this post after I posted mine below.
>>
>>59142684
Too bad Cryorig isn't as widely available as the 212 Evo. In Canada all you get is CM unless you want to pay out the ass for international shipping...
>>
File: skelly.jpg (16KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
skelly.jpg
16KB, 300x240px
>>59142934
>Honestly you probably should have just bought into Sky/Kabylake if you've been waiting for more than a month or two.

Yeah you're right. I've just been hesitant because I'm new to PC building and didn't want to bite the bullet at the time since I was/am still researching on parts. Oh well, I can still wait.
>>
>>59142921
can't help you with the monitor but I know SSD's. What are you looking for? The fastest one you can get your hands on? For sata, probably the Samsung 850 evo. Costs a few dollars though.

Do you want a nice cheap "faster than a spinning disk" drive? I like to tell people to get those Adata ones. Premier Pro SP600 128gb is pretty inexpensive right now.
A jump up to a 240gb ssd is pretty worth it IMO though. More breathing room. Enough for your favorite game or two also. Again, the adata one is slow for an ssd but infinitely better than a hard drive. pcpartpicker is listing the sp550 as $60. Says there's a zotac one for the same price. I know nothing about that but zotac makes nice graphics cards.
>>
Should i get two gpus
>>
>>59143040
No, SL/Crossfire is a meme. Only get two GPU's if
1. You have a 1080/Titan XP and need even moar performance
2. You want to pass one of them through a VM
>>
>>59143040
Are you rendering with near 100% parallelization?
Are you gaming at 4k and the Titan XP just isn't cutting it?
Are you a richfag?
If you answered no to two or more of these questions, just get one more powerful gpu. If you're stuck with one right now, sell it on ebay/craigslist or whatever.
>>
So I have a list for my new build, should I buy the parts over time (i.e. whenever I have spare money after my pay days) or just save up and buy them all at once? Which one is more financially sound bois? Will be buying the CPU last because of Ryzen obviously.
>>
>>59143011
The A-Data SP600 256gb looks like something that could be decent enough, I do agree on going up a notch from 128gb. Affordable, too!
>>
File: 20151223144718_big.png (383KB, 1000x781px) Image search: [Google]
20151223144718_big.png
383KB, 1000x781px
>>59141681
x99 vs Z170?

It's about a $300 price difference with the CPU. I might do some streaming and video editing. Is it worth it?
>>
>>59142956
>In most regions
You are right, sometimes that one is hard to track down. Cryorig isn't as big as some of the other companies making coolers, and they h7 is their most popular unit for obvious reasons. Even in the US it gets sold out a lot.
Plus the 212 evo has the benefit of frequently going on sale. I'm sure there's plenty more options in that price range. I'm just too lazy to research it right now.
>>
>>59143071
If you buy most of your stuff now, you will have useless boxes sitting in your house until you have everything.
If you're that hard up for cash, buy used parts. Especially graphics card, ram, case. You can get a last-gen graphics card for a song sometimes. Gtx 960's going for $110. R9 280x's going for $99. 750ti's going for $70. Gtx 980 going for $250. I've seen these all on my local craigslist.

tl;dr, buy all at once unless you see a ridiculous deal.
>>
>>59143094
>i plan on video editing and streaming. It's how I make my living and/or it's a hobby that I know I spend a lot of time weekly on. The difference between a 15 minute render and an 11 minute render is important to me.
x99
>I'm a gamer that might do some extra stuff with my computer once in a while.
mainstream chipset.
>>
rate my build pls:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hpgTVY

going to be using for virtual machines/adobe suite/web dev shit
>>
>>59142523
If you have microcenter near you go with a newer i7 like the 6700k or 7700k
Microcenter sells them for $250 and $300 USD respectively.
Then go with 16GB DDR4 and you're good. That CPU will still be 4 core 8 thread but newer and more powerful for the same price with a dent to your RAM capacity
>>
File: ew48ttF[1].png (763KB, 1506x1338px) Image search: [Google]
ew48ttF[1].png
763KB, 1506x1338px
sorry forgot pic
>>
>>59143298
(You)/10
>>
>>59143298
Ok, so I need a few questions answered and I can probably whip up either a cheaper list that performs the same, or a better performing list for the same price.
1) How many cores does your work tasks utilize? Are they well parraellized?
2) How much do you value clock speed? How much do you want to push the overclock?
3) Are you willing to wait for AMD's Ryzen to launch in 2 weeks or so? So far it will be only the 8-core - 16 thread chips, but the Ryzen 7 1700 will be $329. Might be a little hard to get your hands on for the first 3-6 weeks.
4) how important is gpu? I assume you're using it for video out or some acceleration. Are you gaming? Or is this almost exclusively a work computer?
>>
>>59143410
Oh, two other questions for you;
5) Are there any specific motherboard features you'd like to have? Specific inputs, bios features, pcie connectivity m.2/u.2, that sort of thing? Or do you just want a nice enough motherboard to do the job?
6) what's your storage needs like? Do you transfer large files a lot? Do you need fast random read/writes? Backup needs?
7) do you want a cheaper list or just the best possible machine within your given budget? Or perhaps you're shooting for a good price/performance value?
>>
>>59143474
>>59143410
>>59143298
well, here's my slightly tweaked list.
>>
>>59143617
oops
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tGc6Ps
$30 cheaper, more storage, nicer case to work in. Will oc just a hair better. Cooler has better ram clearance.
>>
>>59141745
Ryzen 1700x and gtx1080
>>
>>59143679
>non-proccessor-intensive
>8c/16t $400 behemoth
You wot m8? Shit they could skirt by on a Sky/Kabylake i5 x500 or x600k.
They sound better off using a Ryzen 5 chip (probably want the 1600x though) but Ryzen 5 hasn't even had a release date yet, let alone gaming benchmarks.
>>
>>59143742
>non-processor-intensive gaming
what does this even mean? Are you going to choose what games you want to play based on their processor usage?

If you buy a high end GPU you need a good CPU. If you buy a low end GPU you can get away with a low end CPU. Simple as that.
>>
>>59143802
Unless the original anon wants to clarify that they play every single new AAA game and demand ultra settings with cranked up Antialiasing and whatnot I think a 6600k / 7600k + gtx 1070 is plenty more than enough. That config will get reliable 60fps in 90% of games at stock settings and I wager it will hit 60 fps in the rest with some overclocking. That will probably last more than 1 year at ultra settings, 2 years at high settings. If you're willing to manually tweak settings like turning down shadows, water, etc, probably past 2 years/ I think telling them to go for a $400 cpu is overkill here.
>>
>>59141681
so we already know prices of amds midrange cpus? I want to build a allrounder pc for me which will last another 5-6 years, my 7 y/o pc is slowly dying on me (and I can barely play normal games like sc2 on it)
>>
Wich will be the best AM4 mobo ?
>>
File: 6yearsofprogress.png (76KB, 1202x642px) Image search: [Google]
6yearsofprogress.png
76KB, 1202x642px
>>59143865
Skylake is enough for most games right now, but it's bad value for money and has no upgrade path.

If you want cheap and don't want to wait you are better off getting some used Haswell off ebay than to invest into a newer but already dead and abandoned platform.
>>
>>59143913

One not released yet.

But at launch the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 looks to be the one to get.
>>
File: IMG_20170222_230222.jpg (3MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170222_230222.jpg
3MB, 2992x4000px
Here is the list i gave daddy for my new gayming pc ! :)
>>
I have a barracuda 3tb hdd that miraculously works after 3 years and I'm thinking of buying a new one as an insurance. What should I get? I'm confused about the current market of hdds.
>>
>>59144199
Also is there a reason(besides less space) not to get a 3tb hdd when there isn't a 4tb one available?
>>
>>59144086
Good for you. Have fun with it. Might want to wait a week to see if they announce the gtx 1080ti. They have a big press conference scheduled soon.
>>
>>59144199
Toshiba P300 if budget, otherwise HGST Deskstar NAS or 7K6000.
>>
>>59144357
Yeah im waiting for the Arctic storm 1080tis
Using strix 980ti sli on current build
>>
>>59144086
>i7-6800K
>not R7 1800X
>>
>>59144772
Fuck amd.
>>
How viable could it be to build a cheap machine in a small box for light gaming and emulators round my girlfriend's house for 250GBP max? Hard mode: 720p gaming (FIFA, GTA etc) and small enough that I can travel with it.
>>
>>59144931

Also I have a graphics card (HD7870) sitting around that I could use but that's pretty big. Also have a spare GT710 but that's probably too weak.
>>
>>59144931
>>59144948

Just remembered I also have a Corsair PSU which I think is 450w
>>
>>59144752
>Toshiba P300
Is x300 good too? Also what about wd blue?
>>
>>59144787
Enjoy being BTFO by the 1800X then, retard.

>>59145198
X300 is also good, it's their "high-end" consumer HDD, but i believe you can get a good HGST for the price of a X300.
WD Blues are good, obviously, but i'd only get them on a very restricted budget.
>>
>>59145222
Stfu shill
>>
>>59145229
>fuck amd
>no u are the shill
Pure autism. 1800X tears your 6800K a new arsehole.
>>>/v/
>>
File: 1488070986302.png (2MB, 2560x1312px) Image search: [Google]
1488070986302.png
2MB, 2560x1312px
>>59145246
>>
>>59145263
>i7-7700K vs 1700
>not 6800K vs 1800X
Literally not an argument you illiterate retard.
>>
File: 1487979173339m.jpg (40KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1487979173339m.jpg
40KB, 1024x576px
>>59145293
>Muh spelling mistakes
>>
>>59145222
Yeah, the thing is that I only have a 3 tb deskstar available and I can get a 6tb x300 for only 40 bucks more. I was wondering more about the x300's lifespan.
>>
File: 1459022728730.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1459022728730.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>59145305
That's some advanced autism you have.
>>
>>59145311
X300 and P300 are rather new drives so we don't have any data on them yet, but according to blackblaze Toshiba is a reliable brand or at least more reliable than WD and Memegate.
Personally i wouldn't worry.
>>
So I'm wanting to play video games at 1080p, but with decent framerates. Will an RX480 and a Freesync monitor suit my needs?
>>
File: IMG_2026.jpg (238KB, 598x1880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2026.jpg
238KB, 598x1880px
Am I wasting my money or what?
>>
File: MSI Z270 Gaming M5 verdict.jpg (95KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
MSI Z270 Gaming M5 verdict.jpg
95KB, 590x332px
What's the best 1151 socket board for a i7-7700k?

I'm leaning towards the Z270 MSI M5.

Does it make a difference?
>>
>>59145361
Perfectly fine build.
>>
>>59145402

The M5 is a good board but if you care about color coordination there's a green LED that's always on.

The Pro Carbon has similar performance but a more subdued aesthetic.
>>
>>59145361
You're going to hate yourself for buying intel but apart from that, if you really need a cheap PC now it's fie.
>>
>>59145454
>>59145488
Thanks, looking forward to building my first PC
>>
here is the build I think I will go with for 1080p 60hz benq monitor i have already.
What should I change to make it better?
My budget is $1,500 total if I have to.
(I have a keyboard too)
>>
>>59145351
Alright, thanks anon.
>>
>>59141735
Don't buy the noctua fans, it's a waste of money. Take those extra 35 dollars and get a 6600k instead. Get a cheaper SSD, Sandisk X400 has pretty good performance for the price and 5 year warranty.
DO NOT get a cheap MSI board. Shit tier quality control and it shows. Get a cheap ITX ASrock or a more expensive higher end ASUS board.
If you aren't planning to gamble with an 8GB unlock on the 480, dump it and get a better custom 470.
You get higher quality (i.e. not trash) PCB and the performance difference is only an issue if you play ultrawide or 1440p (it's at most 10%).
Otherwise get a cheap 470 and save some extra money, it makes no difference for 1080p60fps.
>>
Building a PC for parents since their 7 year old laptop broke.
They wanted it as cheap as possible.
Is this okay?
The mobo is actually the R2.0 version of it and the case is LC-Power 2004MB.
>>
I'm going to microcenter today to buy a CPU, would it be a good idea to show them my first build on pcpartpicker and ask for opinions and see if they price match?

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rswosylus/saved/NsdMpg
>>
File: dontlookatthewindow.jpg (38KB, 600x524px) Image search: [Google]
dontlookatthewindow.jpg
38KB, 600x524px
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GsBgKZ

r8
>>
>>59145804
Budget anf what do your parents do with their PC, also why not simply buy a refurb Latitude or T440?
>>
>>59145821
No. They will sell you gaymen meme shit you will never need. Also your build is ok, but get H7, cheaper mobo and P300.
Logitech speakers are shit.
>>
>>59146035
I want it to be better than ok but then I'd be spending almost 2k, probably.
And the speakers are just cheap ok sounding speakers, my friend has them and they're fine for me.
Can you post the mobo that you think is good? All these numbered PC parts are giving me a headache.
>>
>>59146002
Cheap as possible.
Facebook/youtube
>>
>>59146092
Asus Z170-A or Pro Gaming, ignore meme name, mobo os good or an Gigabyte HD/UD board.
>>
>>59145995

wait for ryzen
>>
>>59146146
Well..anything will do, even a SoC will do.
>>
Due to budget constraints and the need to have a working computer, I bought an RX 460 4GB. I play 720p@75hz and while the card is great, I'm already looking forward to an upgrade. Question is, since I got an ATX mobo with crossfire capabilities, should I go ahead and get another RX 460 down the line? I saw a video on RX 460x2 and the gains are great, it doubles performance in almost every game.

But if I were to get an RX 480/470, could I crossfire with the RX 460? Because if that's the case then I would rather do that.

I just want to be ready to move to something like 1080p@144hz eventually
>>
File: ryzen.png (125KB, 1169x821px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen.png
125KB, 1169x821px
hoping to do a built with the ryzen 1600x when it's out, the 1700 is a placeholder for now. AM4 mobos not on PCPartpicker, would use something like this
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132966&cm_re=am4-_-13-132-966-_-Product
>>
>>59146345
>Crossfire
You're better off selling your 460 and buying a 480.
>>
>>59146397
That's true also. I'm just wondering because it's cheaper in the end, plus my insides will look cooler ;^). Only downside I see is that it might get loud.
$80 is good price for it, right?
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme/comments/5wgtuj/2000_is_my_top_budget_this_will_be_my_first_real/
>>
I'm poor somejuan make me a 500to550 build please
>>
>>59146773
G4560 + RX470 or GTX1050ti, now GTFO and build wall, Paco.
>>
>>59146839
Muchos Garcia's mi amigo. thank you for the very helpful links too.
>>
>>59143071
>saving for ryzen
We got another one /g/ XDDDD
>>
>>59147752
R5 is coming Q2 anyways, it won't hurt to wait a month or so.
>>
File: 1487574162504.gif (479KB, 758x866px) Image search: [Google]
1487574162504.gif
479KB, 758x866px
I am looking for a 4tb hard drive that will be storing video, audio, and game assets for various projects I am working on. I'm hoping for a middle ground between failure rate and price as I am a poorfag at the moment.

Thanks /g/entoomen.
>>
>>59144931
Gaming laptops are expensive. Check ebay/craigslist
>>
>>59147956
>ever needing more than 1TB

come on anon
>>
>>59145311
Just back it up and roll the dice on that sweet sweet deal
>>
>>59147956

Doesn't really matter.
>>
File: Untitled.png (14KB, 732x384px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14KB, 732x384px
>>59141681
is this a good fan setup or should i switch the top two fans to intake and have the side and back be exhaust?
>>
>>59148018
You are a special kind of autism aren't you?
>>59148031
Gee thanks. It's good to know the "Doesn't really matter." hard drive costs nothing and lasts for a thousand years. I don't know why I didn't think of getting that brand/model when trying to save money. Any other advice Linus?
>>
>>59148154

Listen faggot, buy whatever drive is cheapest it LITERALLY DOES NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE
>>
>>59148218
You're right. I was being dumb. Average drive lifespans based on company, rpm, noise, and ect don't do anything. They are all 100% the same. A WD black is the same drive as red, green, or seagate barracuda. Hell I might as well string together a fuck ton of ata drives because I am a brain dead retard who thinks all hard drives are created equal. Thanks for the lesson in inclusion.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ftttsJ

Any fatal flaws?
>>
>>59148353
Pcpart picker will list rpms what are you crying about faggot
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd8Fpb
Is this a good build?
>>
>>59148353
What new autism is this
>>
>>59148383
Sure if you think you need all that
>>
Thoughts on aftermarket cables for aesthetics? Why are they so fucking expensive?
>>
>>59148383

>buying unlocked cpu
>never ocing

why do people do this? 90% of people who buy the latest and greatest parts never utilize them to their full potential
>>
>>59148435
>never OCing
?
>>
>>59148435
Who said i dont plan on OCing faggot
>>
File: lain-other-half.png (1MB, 1512x1072px) Image search: [Google]
lain-other-half.png
1MB, 1512x1072px
>>59148368
>>59148385

At this point just having a laugh at your ineptitude to give advice on pc parts in a PC building thread. I bet you tell people to build the cheapest parts when building as hurr all pc's are the same build the cheapest. I get calling you an autist triggered you to samefag hard but if you want to avoid that stop being an autistic. Anyway off to do my own research as it's clear you have all the competence of a reddit thread and don't like people asking questions you can't answer.
>>
>>59148463

i'm just assuming you wont because i'm also assuming you're new to pc building, like i said most people who do buy unlocked cpus never actually oc them

but if you are going to oc it, then fair enough
>>
>>59148465
>what hdd should i buy
>doesnt really matter. This is an area you can save some money
>i dont like that answer here are some faggy anime pictures
This has been enthralling
>>
>>59148423

They're the pinnacle of ricing, since they're purely aesthetic and actually inhibit (slightly) airflow in the case.

They're expensive because it's an extremely time consuming and fiddly process. Each wire has to be cut, stripped, crimped, sleeved and heat shrunk and it all has to be done to precise measurements. Expect to take around five minutes to complete a wire, so for a 24-pin cable you're looking at two hours of work. THAT'S why it costs $20 to buy one.
>>
>>59148640
will ricing increase my fps?
>>
>>59148640
>crimping cables is difficult
???
>>
>>59148383
It's good but why not wait for Ryzen?
>>
>>59148867
I dont want to
>>
File: Lisa.su.jpg (137KB, 1198x639px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa.su.jpg
137KB, 1198x639px
I'm waiting for Vega to finish my Lisa Su build....
>>
>>59149045
>that much ram
>>
File: ryzen.png (1MB, 700x960px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen.png
1MB, 700x960px
>2017
>not having rgb stock coolers

https://youtu.be/9AVZ_x64hg4
>>
>>59148676

I never said it was difficult, I said it was time consuming and fiddly.
>>
File: hmm.png (65KB, 1153x666px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
65KB, 1153x666px
Check this pls. I'm not waiting for vega, 1060 is an option tho
>>
>>59145354
Probably. Not many games struggle with the 480.
Some of the AAA stuff you might have to go from "ultra" presets to "high" or you can just run ultra with turned down antialiasing and maybe a few other gpu heavy settings like shadow quality, shadow distance, water quality, etc. I max out a lot of the titles I play with my 480 though. Fallout 4, WoW, Overwatch, GTAV. I haven't messed with Witcher 3 in a while but I seem to remember it running pretty smooth once I upgraded from a gtx 960 to the 480.
Freesync is nice nad only adds like $15-20 iirc.

>>59145361
>spending more on a mouse than your chair
enjoy your back pain
>>
>>59149488
There's a lot better cpu coolers out there in the $40 range.
That motherboard can't overclock.
Ram and power supply seem expensive. Rebates are a pain in the ass, and I guarantee you will forget to use them. Even if you do, it's usually like a 10 week wait to get your measly $10 (the $20 rebate is a bit more worth it).
The rest is pretty much fine. For your price tier I recommend throwing that all in something like the Phanteks p400, Nzxt s340, Fractal Define C, or something similar in that price range.
>>
>>59149488
If you won't overclock your cpu don't get the 7600k, just the 7600, else change your motherboard to the Z270 chip which allows overclocking

Also due to driver updates the rx 480 has better performance now than the 1060.
>>
>>59148640
>inhibit (slightly) airflow in the case
Bullshit. Linus tech did a video where they did poor cable management scenarios and tested temps with an aggressive overclock, and temps didn't rise until they literally blocked the exhausts with a shirt and some cardboard boxes.
Also, to be fair, a company like cablemod or whatever selling cables probably has some sort of automated process for it and probably gets bare wires.
>>
Should I wait for the Ryzen 1700x or just get the 7700k?
>>
>>59150459
>temps didn't rise until they literally blocked the exhausts with a shirt and some cardboard boxes

I said inhibit airflow, not increase temperatures.

>Also, to be fair, a company like cablemod or whatever selling cables probably has some sort of automated process for it and probably gets bare wires.

I doubt that very much. They probably have jigs to cut whole batches of wire and sleeving to length, but I reckon the rest is still hand work. There are mass produced extensions from the likes of Thermaltake, Rosewill, etc but you can see the automation in the finished product.
>>
>>59150471
Can you wait a week?
>>
So, when does the AM4 APU (the ones with the Excavator cores, not Zen) come out? I need an affordable CPU with an iGPU that has at least four threads.
>>
https://youtu.be/5lQB7F8mMW0
Is Dell the king of modern laptops?
>>
>>59151176
>thread about custom building your own desktop
>posts a commercial for a prebuilt laptop.
You're in the wrong neighborhood friendo.
>>
>>59149135
I need alot of ram to do video editing mate
>>
>>59151609
Just get a 2*16 kit then.
>>
>>59151752
Already bought it. Whats the actual difference with 2 sticks and 4 sticks set up?
>>
>>59151782
Dual channel is faster than single channel, and **70 boards can't recognize quad channel, you'll need X99 for that.
>>
>>59151879

Oh look, a retard.
>>
>>59141681
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kpqq9W
Is this a good build for gaming at 1440p?
>>
File: bummer.png (117KB, 732x1148px) Image search: [Google]
bummer.png
117KB, 732x1148px
Hello there fellow /g/aymen console builders!

I was looking forward to the release of the new Mass Effect, but it looks like my PC won't be able to run it, due to my outdated CPU.

Finally time for a 4790k (250 Euroshekels, used) or take the step into the current year and shell out for a Z270 mobo, 7600k, DDR4 RAM and an M.2 SSD?

When will intel scrap the 1151 socket and throw their superior new tech on the market in response to Ryzen and to BTFO AMD again?
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n7TW6X
Will this build suffice for 1080p gaymen? Mostly gonna do some Overwatch and Rocket League on this build, but I'm curious how it'll do in games like the upcoming Nier Automata.
Is it worth it to go for an 8GB version of the 470? Also, how do you guys think it's gonna handle Wii U emulation (does it benefit from having more than 2 cores?), I think it should handle Dolphin pretty easily.
>>
>>59150752
>I said inhibit airflow, not increase temperatures
Who the fuck cares then. Airflow is only necessary for temperature management anyway dildo
>>
>>59152284
No
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 670x635px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 670x635px
>>59152284
Yes it is
I have a similar setup, 60fps MINIMUM, usually 90's, often up to 120 and 144fps
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 775x500px
>>59151176
>gaymen
>laptop
Just get yourself sum thunderbolt 3 and a laptop-sized laptop
>>
File: 1.jpg (136KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
136KB, 750x1000px
Hmm, what's this?
>>
>>59149322
>including Radeon pajeet
He can't even answer questions about Radeon without stumbling over his words and shifting blame to the viewers
>>
>>59153138
>burger ordering parts from Germany
Trump's not gonna be happy.
>>
File: 2.jpg (132KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
132KB, 750x1000px
>>59153138
>>
>>59153113
Thanks.
>>
File: 3.jpg (302KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
302KB, 1333x1000px
>>59153180
ready for that 1800X

>>59153182
The upgrade kit was free, bought from a US supplier, it's made in China anyway.
>>
>>59153217
When I had 16GB ram there was one game that used 9GB, now that I have 8Gb (had to rma ram) it uses 7GB max
>>
>>59153243
Aren't games usually optimized for how much RAM you have?
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8RK8m8
I want to build this so god damn much, but I can't justify spending the money.
>>
>>59153349
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gQMPhq

I keep telling myself not to buy all this shit before i even know how much the VEGA gpu will cost.

I'm just using my 7970 till VEGA
>>
>>59153371
>I'm just using my 7970 till VEGA

I'm in the exact same boat.

The old girl just has to hang in there for a little while longer...

(although desu it holds up really well)
>>
>>59153576
Soon she'll go and rest with my sapphire 4870 1gb.

I hope VEGA lives up to their legacies.
>>
>>59153349
Why do you have 3 hard drives
>>
>>59145263
>Averages all exactly the same
>everyone keeps looking at the green bars.

Fucking, everyone need to KILL THEMSELVES.
>>
>>59153028
Please respond.
>>
Will a G4560 bottleneck a 1070?
>>
>>59154024
>pairing a Pentium with a 1070
For what purpose?
>>
>>59154125
Having as good of a GPU as possible on a limited budget, what else?
>>
>>59154167
What's the point when the CPU bottlenecks it? Save a few more checks from McDonald's, kid.
>>
File: Chipotle_Steak_Burrito_2x.jpg (93KB, 1000x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chipotle_Steak_Burrito_2x.jpg
93KB, 1000x640px
should i upgrade?

asrock z77
i5 3570k
gtx670
16gb RAM
>inb4
256gb SSD
>>
>>59154215
It's not a build for me since I'm not a NEET fuck and am actually productive and don't spend all my free time gaming so I'm waiting for Ryzen to come out to get a hexa core and a 480.
>>
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/T3jXZ8

damn I thought Ryzen would be cheaper than Intel
>>
>>59143348
get a better graphics card, you are paying too much for insignificant parts
>>
I'm in a place with a hot climate.
Best air cooler? Should I just get a Noctua and call it a day?
>>
>>59154445
NH-D15

Hands down the be all end all cooler. If you can fit it in your case only a custom loop could possibly hold a candle to its cooling power, but not at the same price.
>>
is the 1050 ti still relevant?
>>
>>59154266
Pro tip, paying more than 300 dollars for a graphics card for general use/productivity is stupid.

In 2 years, it will be considered low end, or the 1070 will be out preformed by the 1160.
>>
>>59153754
960 evo for things that gotta load fast
850 evo for pretty much my steam folder
HDD for anime and movies

Not rocket science really.
>>
>>59154493
The RX 480 is $200 and will serve me for more than 2 years since I can still play everything I want to play on my 7850, but I don't play games as much as I did 3 years ago.
>>
>>59154493
>graphics card for general use/productivity
>in the current year of our Lord, anno domini 2017
CPUs are your GPUs outside of games.
>>
>>59154490
The 470 is a better value for the money but the 1050 Ti is the best you can do when choosing between the 460, 1050 or 1050 Ti.
>>
>>59141681
>>59141681
How good is the B350 for overclocking?
>>
Someone post the value chart
>>
>>59143071
If you want to buy parts, get the ones that will work in your current PC.
* PSU, case
* a good cooler
* video card
* then finally RAM, motherboard, and CPU
* you can upgrade storage any time
The idea is to upgrade yor computer slowly. I bought an old case, one of those with four 5.25" bays and two floppy bays, internal space for 6x3. 5" hard disks ten years ago for $5. I suggest getting an old, used large case that you can discard later if you want to do so.
Personally, I used this partial upgrade scheme since 1994, when I assembled my first PC coming from an Amiga 500. DX4-100 bought used, with 16MB of RAM and no hard disk (I unpacked Doom to a RAM drive to play it, and after the game exited a batch file copied the saved games to the last floppy. One year later I saved the salary of one month to buy a used 640MB Quantum hard disk. Double/DriveSpace saved my life. Those fucking Windows 95 floppies with more sectors per track were a nightmare.
I remember extracting a copy of the software MPEG video decoder from an IBM Aptiva in the public library to use on my PC. The only part that survives from my first PC is the Model M I got for free from the mall manager where I used to work, because "it is too heavy, you can take it."
Always keep a look for used parts, and interesting adapters that you can use. Poors gonna poor, whatever.

Good luck, Anon.
>>
>>59143071
Oh, and when you buy RAM, buy one stick with the maximum capacity supported. Repeat until all slots are filled.
And buy a common brand, so that you will find new ones from the same model later. Kingston ValueRAM has served me very well all these years. Once I had to buy HyperX to fill 4x4GB, the ValueRAM didn't work on the PC.
Now I intend to go for a Ryzen build. I'm buying a Seasonic S12II 620W this week. Later I'll get a new video card.
>>
>>59154767
>>59154979
I am building my first PC from scratch so I'm not upgrading. I would just upgrade as needed if I already had a desktop. Thanks for the suggestions though.
>>
what is a good ultrawide monitor for a GTX1070?
>>
>>59155087
The old case suggestion still holds. Buy, say, a better CPU or video card, then a better case later.
>>
File: ncase m1-5.jpg (591KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
ncase m1-5.jpg
591KB, 960x640px
Looking for an SFF case with:
>solid, ventless top panel
>thick aluminum panels, no baking pan shit
>space for more than 2 drives
>preferably windowless
The NCASE M1 looks cool for instance, but whenever I see that top panel, I just think about all the dust that's going to settle inside the thing. I also don't like where the 3.5" drives are placed.
>>
File: 838642.png (44KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
838642.png
44KB, 650x400px
>>59141805
>>59141735
>>59145361

>spending $1000 for 4 threads in 2017
Even in 2016 this would be atrocious.

Even some shittier $500 AMD APU build would be better than most of these builds you people come up with. Basically 70-90% of the performance for half the cost.

If you can't get 8 threads, you shouldn't bother spending so much money. You're obviously destitute and making poor financial decisions that will make things worse.

>>59144061
Basically this.
Coffeelake is going to be the bigger upgrade with 6core going mainstream to replace the 7700k's place. But it'll be a new socket. A new motherboard you're buying will be useless.
Skylake and Kabylake are the end-of-lines of many years old designs shoveled onto new sockets for no reason. Buying them is like buying a Phenom II when Sandy Bridge was launching. Or buying Nehalem when Westmere was launching and Sandy Bridge was announced. If you couldn't wait or couldn't afford something good, you should have just bought something to get you buy until you can get the good stuff for way better performance/$

>>59145804
Looks good. Could probably get a $40-$50 motherboard, though.

>>59146380
Why not just get a used GPU or cheap 970 or Fury X? I get the impression you're buying that 460 as a hold over for Vega or Volta. If it's just because you do workstation shit and don't need better, than that's fine, though I think I've seen 460s for like $80.
Hey, and for the same price as those shit dumpster tier thread builds. Nice.

>>59149045
Should probably get 2x 16GB. Ryzen is Dual Channel. I even saw DDR4 3000 CL15 TridentZ non-RGB 2x16GB for $210 on newegg last week.

>>59149488
$260 for an RX 480 8GB? There's been so many deals for them for $165-$210. The Nitro+ was $180 last week and included Doom I think.

>>59154241
Sure
>>
>>59155217
Not sure I get the logic. As I have said, I have no parts to serve as stand-ins for parts I will replace later. So that would mean basically spending more money than I would need for a machine that I could literally just get at the price I have it as on pcpartpicker. My post was whether or not I should buy the parts overtime or just get it all at once, not whether I should upgrade over time.
>>
File: 1482856465819.jpg (208KB, 371x600px) Image search: [Google]
1482856465819.jpg
208KB, 371x600px
>>59142936
It's outrageous. You used to be able to get 16gb for the price of 8.
>>
>>59155386
Mobileposters are taking all the DDR4.
>>
Hey /g/

I recently upgraded from a 560 to a 1070, eight after my boot times worse nd and my Pc made a very strange noise during the boot process, everything else worked fine for a out a week, but now everytime I boot my Pc up, it works fine then crashes in about 30 minutes.

What happened?
>>
>>59153222

>dark rock pro 3

the standard dark rock 3 gets the same temperatures for cheaper

but it's your money.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/be_quiet_dark_rock_3/5.html
>>
I don't know if this is the right thread

But should I get an IPS 1440 60 hz monitor, or gsync 1440 144hz?

They both run around $400

I play games here and there, but also enjoy movies a lot

Im running a gtx 1070 SC

I read so many different opinions on this, so I'm really on the fence.

Which is better to have? IPS, or 144hz?
>>
i just want a full tower case with 2 CPU's god dammit
>>
>>59155342
You would have a working computer in less time if you spend next to nothing in a simple case which you can replace later.
>>
>>59155765
I am currently at uni until the school year ends after which I will build my PC (at least that was my plan). I will either spend my money on building it all at once when I get back or I will buy it in parts over the course of the next several months (I will buy the GPU, CPU, and monitor last). The deciding factor isn't the time in which I will have a computer, but rather which is more financially sound.
>>
I own an old Radeon 6870. Assuming CPU is not my bottleneck, which video card should I get to double my frame rate in Skyrim, at 1920x1080?
>>
>>59155821
You always will be able to negociate a nice discount buying all parts in a same place while waving cash to the seller. You should get assembly and extended warranty as a bonus.
>>
>>59155665
gsync are like $100 more.
Get adaptive sync or freesync.

Even if you already have an Nvidia card, your monitor will outlive your GPU.

>Which is better to have? IPS, or 144hz?
IPS if you do video/picture editing and such. The picture quality on them is better. But TNs tend to be a tiny bit faster and weigh less.
You can get 100hz and 144hz IPS I'm pretty sure. They're just expensive as those tend to be high quality LG panels.

If talking two monitors that are the same price and one is 60hz IPS and another 144hz the only advice I can get is that you need to try to see them in person, play with the settings, see how nice you can get the picture looking and see if you can gauge eye strain (TN are higher eye strain as well)
>>
>>59155866
Wish I could do that. All the stores and guys working here (Italy) I know will make me spend 200€ more just for assembling it and because they say they have to pay taxes on the parts, that's why on the internet they're cheaper.
>>
This website was launched today: sorta like PC parts picker but you enter a price and it solves a linear programming problem to recommend the best parts.
https://www.pc-kombo.de/us/
>>
>>59155281
the idea was for general workstation use, and as a placeholder for vega if I do decide to do gaming. My other PC currently has a used 750 with which I've had little to no problems.
>>
>>59155904
is the color/quality difference all that big?

the 144hz being usually optimized for gaming, and often sacrificing quality for that. i don't want one that looks just okay like the 1080p i have now but at 144hz
>>
>>59155972
>$600
>Athlon X4 and 1050
no
>>
>>59156053
I didn't say it was accurate. It just uses some website's benchmarks as its sole source
>>
>>59155904
Not him, but what if I wanted great quality on 1080p for gaming, but don't care about 144hz?
>>
>>59156068
So it's useless. Thanks for sharing.
>>
>>59155994
That's fair. I think, though, that you should order those parts then watch sales tickers over the next few days as I'm sure one for $30-$40 less will pop up if you even care.

Or just use the 750.

>>59155997
>is the color/quality difference all that big?
Um yeah it can be massive. Even the higher end TNs now days with better picture and color quality are still largely worse than my 7 year old workstation IPS.

But if you've never gone to a bestbuy or something and looked at the different monitors and adjusted the settings to better match print, and can't tell at a glance, then idk. But I was a production artist and required a good monitor for work. I can immediately tell while other people tell me they see no difference.

I'd recommend anyone to just buy a cheaper monitor temporarily and wait for HDR10, though. Games will use it because it requires no extra graphical power and just requires fairly simple changes at the very end of rendering pipelines that literally takes under an hour for basic support.

Monitors are in a weird in between period right now where pretty much no model out there is really great like when the Dell Ultrasharps were newish and BenQ had those gaming monitors that weren't too expensive and so much better than the competition at the time. Everything is so stagnant and it's like they don't even want to compete. I guess because they're hard to sell and market since everyone is so uninformed about the various technologies and TVs drive the market.
>>
>>59155665
144hzTN>60hzIPS
144hzIPS>144hzTN
ULMB120hz>anything else 144hz
>>
File: we wuz engineers n sheit.png (279KB, 478x603px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz engineers n sheit.png
279KB, 478x603px
>>59141681
>>
>>59155997
TN panels like the PG278Q come with native 10-bit color and just as good of color gamut as the IPS PG279Q
For real digital photo editing and print work you'll need IPS but if 99% color is good enough for you, TN 144hz panels come in a lot cheaper
>>
File: cuck build.jpg (2MB, 2521x2857px) Image search: [Google]
cuck build.jpg
2MB, 2521x2857px
So my parts have arrived , all brand new except for the cooler. But there's a problem , It has a solid red light on the mobo CPU_LED then shuts off and restarts every 2 -3 seconds. I tried isolating the problem (no CPU , no RAM , no CPU with ram, vice versa) and the same thing's happening

Am I fucked?

Mobo is an Aorus g5 and PSU is a Corsair AX860 platinum
>>
>>59156079
If I HAD to buy a monitor now, I think I'd get the
$700 LG 34UC79G-B - 3440x1440 144hz (even though I wouldn't get 144fps at that resolution, it's freesync or 1ms motion blur reduction frames[basically ULMB], so doesn't matter. LG IPS are nice quality, and it's low latency, etc)
But you're GSync so... $1200 Asus ROG PG348Q - 3440x1440 100hz. It's last year's LG panel and twice as expensive because GSync. :^)

But I feel that like in 2 years, we'll probably have HDR10 monitors with otherwise similar specs (other than thinner, lower black levels, greater contrast) for around $1200.
I might even hold out on OLED.
>>
>>59156092
Sorry man, saw it on Hackernews
>>
>>59156160
Dude, I've never built a PC, but... Did you plug all of your power cables in there? Isn't the socket in the upper left disconnected?
>>
>>59156160

Try plugging in your CPU bro.
>>
I know almost nothing about computers and graphics cards or ram or anything, so can anyone just tell me the best computer I can buy for under 2000 dollars, that will definitely allow me to play every single modern pc game?
>>
>>59156225
>>59156220
O shit you're right It's my first PC so I forgot

I love you guys full homo
>>
>>59156228
Gtx1080/7700k/Z170 motherboard
SSD and 16GB ram
650w PSU
Case
Poptarts
>>
>>59156228

b270 motherboard
gtx 1080
itx motherboard
240mm liquid cooler
16 GB of DDR4-2133 RAM

you will be able to play anything
>>
>>59156236
No problem, watching all those building tutorials on youtube at least taught me something. I suggest you have a couple of those open while you're working.
>>
>>59156228
http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>59156284
>http://www.logicalincrements.com/

that site is cool but they fucked me. I thought I needed a mid-ATX case but in reality ITX is all a person really needs. If I could do it again I'd buy an Enthoo Pro instead of this huge MasterCase Pro 5.
>>
>>59156311
I never follow the case part because it's all a matter of personal taste. Mid-ATX is the sweet spot for me, specifically a NZXT s340. It looks better than any case in that guide and it's cheaper than most.
>>
>>59156311
LogicalIncrements is for general recommendations.
>>
Never built a pc before, only ever had prebuilts. How does this look for moving to a new mobo case and graphics card?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8df8
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jKWZHN
R8
>>
>>59156382
>full tower case
>microATX

what
>>
>>59156382
Mark what you're actually buying.
>>
>>59156394
DON'T BUY the NEX PSU series, they're usually unrecommended. Get the G2, GS or GQ, instead.
Other than that, the build is good, but if it's not urgent I suggest you wait at least for a couple of months until Ryzen comes out.
>>
>>59156364

I know that now, but the site is so specific in its case selections that I thought it was gospel. Which is why I never show people that site and instead give them better advice.

>>59156337

Mid-ATX is only good if you have plans for SLI or you need room for several hard drives. Which is it for you?

>>59156382
>https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kB8df8

That case is too big. Full ATX cases are very large, and your motherboard would fill up maybe 1/4 of what it could handle. Here, check this out. Look into ITX
>>
>>59156382
Get the GTX 1060 and you're good.
>>
>>59156337
Better airflow, plenty of space which makes the building process easier and more room for custom CPU coolers.
>>
>>59156522
>Better airflow
Depends on volume of air going in/out compared to the amount of air in the case.
>>
>>59156653
Yep, and that happens when you can mount more, and possibly bigger, fans.
>>
File: LL.jpg (75KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
LL.jpg
75KB, 500x375px
>>59156670
It's about proportion.
>>
>>59156228
Ryzen 1800X, GTX 1080, X370 motherboard.

Wait few months for 1080Ti (or Volta surprise release?) or Vega, though. Vega will probably be around 25% better than the 1080 in a lot of games.
>>
Getting some jitters before I buy. Is this the 1070 I want?

https://jet.com/product/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1070-DirectX-12-08G-P4-5173-KR-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express-30/6a59c1f0bb064313a12ce1909258294c
>>
>>59156481
>>59156401
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TQ3CKZ

This any better?

>>59156417
Buying the mobo, 480 and case seeing as I own the other parts.
>>
>>59156791
No, you want the Gigabyte G1 version. EVGA graphic cards are known to overheat.
>>
>>59156862
I thought that EVGA provided thermal pads after some time ago?
>>
>>59156835
The PSU still suck. Just get a Seasonic.
>>
>>59156879
Well, yeah, if you don't mind opening up your graphics card and mount them. Or you can just buy a graphics card that works properly out of the box, like it's supposed to be.
>>
I'm saving up for Ryzen 5 when they come out. If I'm doing some gaming with moderate browsing, is a B350 chipset mobo enough?
>>
>>59153028
D-do you guys hate my build or anything? I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this.
>>
>>59153028
>>59156956
If you want to play more titles at 1080@60, get a smaller SSD and put that money for a 480 8GB.
>>
>>59156931
if the 4.1GHz crash during presentation is any indication, if you want to go over 4GHz on the overclock you'd want to use an X370.

if you're using Nvidia cards in SLI it also wouldn't work with the B350, Crossfire however is fine.
>>
>>59156956
Get a smaller SSD, a cheaper case, and get a 480 8GB. Also, a 4620 if possible. But I don't know if such a low-tier CPU is going to bottleneck the GPU or not.
>>
>>59157091
>Rx 480

you know what really grinds my gears? Nvidia's GTX 1060 has no SLI slots because they knew it would've BTFO'd their 1080 for around $500. It really bothers me noone really noticed that.
>>
>>59157110
SLI is trash, they shouldn't have it in anything but their highest end card per generation, it should only be use for unsynchronized non-time intensive work, not ganes
>>
>>59157218
>SLI is trash

I understand this, but $500 is still cheaper than $800 (when everyone was scalping the 1080)
>>
>>59155143

bumpo
>>
>>59155143
>>59157275
what res?
what are you playing?
do you want 60hz, 100hz, 120hz, 144hz?
are you willing to pay Nvidia tax for GSync?

these are important questions that need answers first
>>
>>59157293

I actually don't mind in terms of refresh rate of response time, as long as I'm always above 60fps. I'm looking for the best deal. Monitor prices are fucked in Australia. I've never delved into widescreen gaming before.
>>
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ooah/saved/sjxWZL

Buy GPU and cooler right now? Almost did at lunch, but got cold feet.
>>
AM3 or FM2 for home server? It's only $100 difference incl mobo and memory.
>>
File: mur.png (253KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mur.png
253KB, 400x400px
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/pXf8m8

with this case - should I add any extra case fans?

note I don't overclock at all, and I'd only be overclocking the video card (not manually)

will the two fans that come with the case be sufficent?
>>
>>59157493
>650W
>>
>>59157445
buy old used intel for an even cheaper price, or some AMD A4 or A6 or AMD Hudson or even the Intel Atom embedded boards, maybe AM1 might be a decent pick for you as well.
>>
File: sneky kitter.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
sneky kitter.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>59157513

I got it for the price of a 550W - I couldn't help it

also got the i7 back in early Feb at a 25% discount
>>
>>59157436
going all out on the white theme I see, yes, buy them now.

if you ask me, I would say go all out on the water cooling by going with a water cooled gpu and go with a case with better water cooling support, especially on the top part.
>>
>>59157436

those video cards are trash
enjoy your constant overheating
>>
What's this about the i5 7500 being a bad CPU?
>>
>>59157445
Buy a refurbished AM4 A12 PC and gut it.
You can get them for under $400.

The A12-9800 is like 20% better than the A10-7870k, but was only sold to OEMs. And it's an AM4 B350 motherboard that supports Ryzen, Raven Ridge (APUs), Zen+ (2019 Ryzen update)

I wish I could draw more attention to this somehow. No one seems to know about it.
>>
>>59157616
It is? This is the first time I've heard it. Usually its just overclockingfags masturbating to their 7600Ks.
>>
https://youtu.be/9AVZ_x64hg4
>>
>>59157616
4threads. Only relevant for 2013 gaymen and not workstation nor modern gaymen.

It's stupid to buy an end-of-life component new at the absurd prices they're at.
Anyone who thinks they're not EoL are either idiots, or fooling themselves because of their buyer's remorse.

You should only be buying used components like ivy bridge, or waiting for Ryzen 5, Ryzen 3, or Coffeelake depending on what you're looking for if the Ryzen 7 doesn't already fit your needs.
>>
>>59157493
the fans seem pretty standard, they will work just fine, but they won't be as quiet as if you got better ones just noctuas or airflow corsairs.
>>
>>59157660
Not that anon, but I get waiting for Ryzen (especially for Ryzen 5 in the case of i5 processors) but the only non-OC'd kaby lke intel CPU besides the 7500 is the 7600, which only has hyperthreading which isn't even worth it for gaymen.
>>
>>59157652
>tfw my local parts distributor has them cheaper than their 6xxx counterpart but I'm waiting for the price cuts to actually reach my banana republic/Ryzen

>>59157660
I have a somewhat tight budget, cap'n, can't go around splurging on components that I don't plan on overclocking. Also, I've running a Phenom 955 and HD6850 for quite some time now. It's due time for an upgrade.
>>
>>59157656
this makes me wonder if amd is going to make the rx 500s rgb as well, at least, amd fanboys can have an all amd system and look good while doing it.
>>
>>59157664
any suggestions on replacements?
>>
File: yfw 1hp.png (138KB, 341x366px) Image search: [Google]
yfw 1hp.png
138KB, 341x366px
http://www.skycomp.com.au/asus-dual-gtx1070-o8g-geforce-gtx1070-gddr5-8gb-7680x4320-1x-dvi-2x-hdmi-2x-dp.html

http://www.arc.com.au/product/59359

can't decide between these two
>>
>>59157708
>i'm on a tight budget
see:
>>59155281
>>59157631

Buy refurbished A12-9800 PC and gut it. It will hold you over until you can get an RX580 on sale in a year for $200 which will probably be as good as the 1070 or 1080 is today for 2-3x the money. And then you can replace the CPU with a barely over $100 Ryzen 3.

There, now for $650 you have a computer that's as good as these $1400 builds that people are posting if you can handle 60fps on low settings for a year.
And it's less than $400 to start with for something that can play literally any game.
>>
>>59157749
Noctuas.

They're a meme if you have better things to upgrade, but my god are they quiet.
>>
>>59157820
>A12-9800
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5103023&SRCCODE=3WGOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CKmm8dDusdICFdgLgQodQKYMgQ $360 and it'll play any game.

It has an AM4 motherboard that's ready for a Ryzen upgrade when the Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 3 or whatever you want comes.
And on top of that..
16GB DDR4
legit windows10 copy
1TB HD
PSU
Case
For $360.

90% of the people in this thread posting builds should be buying something like that instead. It's like 60%-70% the performance of those $950-$1050 builds for 1/3rd the price or less.

Not only that, but they already have an AM4 motherboard so upgrading to Ryzen is dirt cheap.
>>
>>59157749
now and days every case fan is called a meme fan, noctuas are the best for performance and noise but they are expensive and look like ass. corsairs air series fans are popular and NZXT Aer RGB looks really nice if you're looking to take a cute boy into bed with you.
>>
>>59157820
>banana republic
Nigga if I lived on the States your advice would've been spot on, but alas I live in a country where everything is two to three times as expensive due to taxes and shipping. We're talking 460 dollars for a 1060 6gb and 320 for an AM3 9590.
Plus there are no local OEMs, only the big names like Lenovo, or Dell that gouge the normies like you wouldn't fucking believe.
>>
>>59157749

honestly you said you don't overclock much, and I'd assume when you do you'll wear headphones anyway so don't bother - the fans the case comes with are decent (I've owned this case)
>>
>>59157811

G1 is worth the extra 50 bucks. Better all-round quality and performance when overclocking. The low end Asus tend to heat up a lot.
>>
>>59158068
>>59158068
>>59158068
>>
>>59157956
The PC I linked to is a HP, which is "normie" brand. It's refurbished.

There are Lenovo and Dell with the A12-9800 or A12-9700 as well. If it's still 1/3rd the price of your 1060 skylake/kabylake build, buy it.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.