[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinkpad T420

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 282
Thread images: 32

File: maxresdefault.jpg (330KB, 3000x1688px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
330KB, 3000x1688px
Why don't you own the best laptop ever made?
>>
>>59013443

Because I own a W520.
>>
>laptop
>not designed to be used in lap
>>
The T420 is like a MacBook with all of the flaws of a MacBook but none of the advantages

it's also fucking ugly and has terrible battery life
>>
File: 1420224629420.png (44KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1420224629420.png
44KB, 200x200px
>>59013443
>Why don't you own the best laptop ever made?
I had one of those. Was too heavy for uni and gave it to my mum. Now got a x220 for quite a long time. It's nice.
Sometimes I miss the 1600x900 display though
>>
>>59013443
>heavy
>bulky
>poor battery life
>optical drive
>>
>>59013443
t. poorfag
>>
>>59013574
6 hour battery terrible
>>
>>59013587
>heavy
I'm skinnyfat as fuck and never broke a sweat lugging it around
>>
>>59013658
Sure, but you know that I need to carry around other stuff too, rite? My Knapsack is always kinda full and since we can't solve the knapsack problem right now, I am fucked.
>>
>>59013631
>MikeRoll
kek'd
>>
>>59013443
I do have one, and I don't understand why they're shilled so fucking hard lately.

They're gutless, ugly, huge and unwieldy, I'd much rather have a good X or W series from this generation than the shitty middle of the road that has all the worst and none of the best of either.

Build quality isn't really that great either, that generation is ridden with cheap plastics and mine already has cosmetic defects from just being taken to and from classes. Ended up replacing it with something else, good thing it was free to begin with.

>>59013658
It's not about the difficulty of carrying it, it's about how it handles. It's big and thick, it doesn't feel nice to carry or handle, it feels like it will shatter into pieces if you drop it. It's unneeded weight and heft that has no right to be there for something mostly designed for basic 2D productivity.
>>
The best screen you can get it with is 1600x900, and it's TN. It's thick and heavy by today's standards. You can't buy it new, it's always going to have some wear and tear.
>>
>>59013727
Don't forget that god awful bezel.
>>
>>59013574
This.
>>
>>59013443
I own three anon.
>>
>>59013443
>shitty display

ughhh no thanks. one of the most differentiating factors on a computer, and it has to have an ugly TN display.
>>
>>59013530
Nice! W520 master race!
>>
>>59013443
shit screen
shit resolution
housefire-tier cpu
shit battery life
fucking fan, in 2017
old, heavy, loud, thicc
bezel
>>
>>59013530
>>59013782
These are shit too, god awful engineering , shit build quality and pathetic internals compared to their competitors.
>>
I don't know why /g/ shills these Thinkpads so much either. I mean they have some nice aspects, but they leave much to be desired when it comes to portability.

That said, I don't know if there's much better out there for that money. It seems that most cheap laptops are 15.6"...
>>
>>59013812
>That said, I don't know if there's much better out there for that money. It seems that most cheap laptops are 15.6"...
It's half the reason there are so many faggots on /g/ that shill them in the first place, they're cheap as shit just like their users, "different" like their users, "professional" like their users wish they were (and pretend to be)
>>
>>59013837
cheap and durable is the only reason why I got a x220.
Would like to get a x1 carbon or something like that, but ain't got the money right now and a x220 just fuckin works. It is really nothing great or special, but it just works and was cheap as shit
>>
>>59013443
if you got the best dGPU option in it - how does it feel to have an old as fuck nvs 4200m dGPU which is actually SLOWER than intel atom's x8500 iGPU?
Keep in mind we are comparing 35W CPU + 35W dGPU in case of T420 to a 2W SoC in any cheap windows tablet, like asus t100ha.
Don't you feel ashamed of using a deprecated 8 years old platform?
>>
>>59013443
my t61 works and was $20
>>
>>59013868
Why would you need a fast GPU for something intended mostly for 2D work?
>Don't you feel ashamed of using a deprecated 8 years old platform?
Why would you care about that as long as the system performs to expectations? Don't you feel ashamed of being such a feeble-minded child that you're seriously afraid of what random people might think of the piece of plastic you access the internet with?

The T420 is garbage, but shit on it for real reasons, here, not those stupid sheepish talking points.
>>
>>59013897
>Why would you need a fast GPU
to play gaymes, watch 4k movies (efficiently, with minimal power use!) and to have a nice GPU acceleration in windows 10 + chrome
>as the system performs to expectations?
but it doesn't, at lesat in my case. Sorry kid but carrying around this big heavy shit all damn day is painful. Why not get some 2 in 1 qt windows tablet instead that is 6 times lighter?
But I assume your parents bought you your first laptop (obviously used, they don't love you enough to get you new things :D), so you have to show off to random people on 4chan what you got. You're pathetic
>>
x60 is the best, only floss fsf laptop
>>
>>59013897
also the point comparing both GPUs was to show you how fast the progress in that matter is. And if you don't care about performance you should care about TDP, power use and dimensions. Buying a 14" laptop that can barely cool itself with all these heavy heatsinks is just... retarded.
>>
>>59013921
>But I assume your parents bought you your first laptop (obviously used, they don't love you enough to get you new things :D)
this triggers /g/
>>
>>59013921
>to play gaymes, watch 4k movies
this is a laptop
>and to have a nice GPU acceleration in windows 10 + chrome
igpu does that just fine
>>
>>59013950
>this is a laptop
So? Are you retarded?
In 2017 people connect their devices to 4k TVs to watch shit they record using their smartphones. Is this something new to you?
>igpu does that just fine
Except it doesn't, unless all you do on your cumstained shitpad is browsing /g/ and 9gag.
Most websites in 2017 can _actually_ use available resources, unlike these two
>>
>>59013966
>In 2017 people connect their devices to 4k TVs
I don't care what "people" do, but you should have a proper (HT)PC for your 4k TV, not a laptop.
Unless you're so poor that your laptop is literally the only computer you have, I guess.

>Except it doesn't
Example?
>>
>>59013443

Outdated trash.
>>
>>59013921
>to play gaymes
Why would you want to do this on a tiny uncomfortable laptop? Parents won't buy you a real desktop?
>watch 4k movies (efficiently, with minimal power use!)
Why would you want to do this on a tiny uncomfortable laptop? Parents won't let you use the family TV?
>and to have a nice GPU acceleration in windows 10 + chrome
Why would you want to be this autistic?
>but it doesn't, at lesat in my case.
Then don't use it? How difficult is it for your double-digit IQ ass to comprehend that not all products are made for you and your use case?
>Why not get some 2 in 1 qt windows tablet instead that is 6 times lighter?
Because tablets are steaming garbage even compared to the BezelBook? Why would you subject yourself to such a piece of shit ever?
>But I assume your parents bought you your first laptop (obviously used, they don't love you enough to get you new things :D), so you have to show off to random people on 4chan what you got. You're pathetic
Why are you projecting so hard when you're literally doing the same exact thing? You're either a troll or really stupid.
>>59013935
Maybe both troll AND stupid.
>>
>>59013996
>I don't care what "people" do
Then what's the point of this shit thread?
Fuck off back to >>>/b/, kid
You're so proud of your used shitpad that you have to come here every fucking day and make a new thread on how glorious your thinkpad is. Are you so sad and alone in your life that you need to gain attention in such pathetic way?
Delete this thread and _FUCK OFF_
>>
>>59014017
Just stop posting, you're making the rest of us who actually understand why shitpads are overrated look as fucking retarded and childlike as you with all that whiny fucking projection. Nobody gives a shit that mommy bought you a cheap ultrabook to shut your whiny crybaby ass up, either.
>>
>>59014017
Calm down, kiddo. I'm not defending Thinkpads at all (there is more than one poster here), I'm just asking why you need a powerful GPU in a fucking laptop.
>>
>>59014037
Don't bother, he doesn't actually know, he's probably too underage to have gotten to the point of actually using a laptop for what it was actually made to do.
>>
>>59014013
>Why would you want to do this on a tiny uncomfortable laptop?
Because I leave _MY_ house and like to use my computer outside? You know, where the sun shines and other people are around?
>uncomfortable
But that's like your opinion. You know what happens to it?
>Why would you want to do this
Because I prefer ir that way. I don't want to have 6 computers in my house, and each one for it's specific use. I got more important things to buy that a shitty "HTPC" connected to my 4k TV just to occiasionally watch 4k recording.
>Why would you want to be this autistic?
Shit and retarded question - shit and retarded answer. Kill yourself
>rest of this post
literally hang yourself. Now

>tfw this post above is literally an example of butt-devastated shitpad user too poor to get a mac and too stupid to buy an hp elitebook laptop
Enjoying falling for /g/ memes
>>
>>59014037
I gave you 5 examples why already, you ignored them all. If you don't care about it then why ask?
>>
fuck thinkpads. hp 8460p >>>> thinkpad t420
>>
>>59013921
>Using a laptop for gayming
>Calling others pathetic

Son...
>>
File: Thinkpad E570 2.jpg (83KB, 1250x712px) Image search: [Google]
Thinkpad E570 2.jpg
83KB, 1250x712px
>>59013996

I have an Intel i7 4770k + Geforce GTX 1080 desktop and I just ordered this Thinkpad E570 with Nvidia 950M because I want to be able to watch muh torrents on TVs and play games on the go.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175

The other anon has a point in that the shitty GPUs are the biggest thing that turn me off of using older hardware.

You've got to at least be able to play 1080p youtube vids in 2017..
>>
File: fe.jpg (151KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
fe.jpg
151KB, 528x528px
>>59014099
>everyone needs to enjoy gaymes the way I do!
Autism...

Pic rel, every single buttmad thinkfag ITT.
>>
File: 1484399022478.jpg (23KB, 640x559px) Image search: [Google]
1484399022478.jpg
23KB, 640x559px
>>59014058
>Because I leave _MY_ house and like to use my computer outside? You know, where the sun shines and other people are around?
Why then shut yourself away from that by playing shitty games on sub-par mobile hardware?
>Because I prefer ir that way. I don't want to have 6 computers in my house,
So you're too stupid to figure out how to use more than one machine, or you're just too poor to afford anything larger than a studio apartment? Good to know.
>I got more important things to buy that a shitty "HTPC" connected to my 4k TV just to occiasionally watch 4k recording.
Like posting on 4chan and playing games at Starbucks and calling yourself social?

You know, I thought you were baiting at first but I genuinely think you're this fucking retarded.
>>
>>59014108
Sorry, meant to respond to this: >>59014108
>>
>>59014058
>Because I leave _MY_ house and like to use my computer outside? You know, where the sun shines and other people are around?
And then you play games there on your Alienware? Talk about autism.

>>59014101
Anything made in the last 10 years can decode 1080p vids, man. You don't need a dedicated GPU unless you play games on a laptop (lol).
>>
>>59014101
>You've got to at least be able to play 1080p youtube vids in 2017..
Any piece of shit made in the last 10 years can do this easily, are you really this brainwashed by marketing?
>>
File: ny.jpg (62KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
ny.jpg
62KB, 400x533px
>>59014114
>I got more important things to buy
>Like posting on 4chan and playing games at Starbucks and calling yourself social?

Reading clearlh isn't your best skill, kid.
Calm down, take your anti-autism pills and come back. Or don't.
>>
>>59014120
>retard
>>
File: HP_8470.jpg (7KB, 264x191px) Image search: [Google]
HP_8470.jpg
7KB, 264x191px
>>59013443
But I do anon. Are you to poor to afford one?
>>
>>59014148
Sorry, meant to respond to this: >>59014108
>>
>>59014139
clearh
>>
>>59014139
It's hilarious how you keep dodging more and more of my replies as they hit home and only concentrate on things you can fire off a weak ass rebuttal to.

Sure, in that case we can definitely assume you're pretty poor if you can't even put together a few hours' pay for a low-end mITX HTPC. Guess mommy should've got you one of those with that binned korean 4K panel, huh?
>>
File: 00003upset.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
00003upset.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>Best laptop ever made
>STATIC Dithering
>1280x800
>TN Panel
>Loud fan
>Shitty plastic that wears down after only months of use
>Keyboard flex
You're joking right?
>>
>>59014130
>can do this easily
>easily
I think you don't understand what this word means, kid.
Now do yourself a favor and compare power consumption and CPU use on both modern mobile CPUs (even smallest atoms!) and old, deprecated as fuck i5-2520m/i7-2620m in T420. Maybe you'll understand why calling this "easy" is a lie.
>>
>>59014174
>but if I move the goalposts I'll still be right
Dumbshit.
>>
>Calling people autismos
>Can't go outside without playing some videogames on the street

Nintendo has the solution for you, my neckbearded fagwaffle.
>>
>>59014165
>don't want to spend money on stupid shit
>buhuu you're poor, be like me and waste money on stupid shit I don't need!
autism, brain damage, lack of attention and good manners.
Silence yourself fool and leave this thread.
10 inch 2 in 1 tablet can do everything I need and expect from a PC, and there is nothing you can do to change that. Trying to convince other people to buy shitpads because "muh shitpad meme" is just stupid.
2017 cheapest tablets are faster than 2009 shitpads. Get over it. If you don't need the extra performance then good for you - enjoy what you have. But stop making these threads and trying to force people into doing what you like. Dumb fucking idiot.
>>
>>59014184
>buhuu but my 2009 shitpad can play 1080p youtube videos at 100% CPU use! This means it's better than modern CPUs!
literally hillary clinton tier logic
>>
The only reason I consider thinkpads as an option is because they're really cheap. Their design seems to be pretty crappy, not too sturdy or anything, and have poor screens, battery life, etc. But for what they cost I can't possibly think of a good alternative to them. Anything for 300 bucks is really crappy.
>>
>>59014233
>Their design seems to be pretty crappy, not too sturdy or anything
They're about as sturdy as laptops get, though obviously it varies from model to model. The most well built ones are old IBMs that are too old be to practical anymore.

The main issues are just battery life and size, which don't really matter too much to most of /g/'s demographic, and then the screens which can either be good if you hunt down a model that supports a decent panel, else you just have to live with the compromise of your laptop being dirt cheap but having a TN panel.
>>
>>59014210
It's hilarious how I've never actually mentioned shitpads in any of my posts yet you're still crying into your keyboard about them for paragraphs at a time, do they make you feel inadequate for some reason? Like your delusions of grandeur are being unraveled right before your eyes by basic critical thinking?

It's cool that tablet you got from school is handling your letsplays and half page double spaced essays though, nobody here really cares. It's obvious you're not the average person considering how emotional you get over chinese plastic and how much you base your idea of self-worth on the date codes it carries.

>>59014220
>if I keep imagining "ideal" counter-arguments to my shitty non-arguments I'll still be right
>meanwhile I need a GTX 1070 to watch muh ecelebs
Supreme dumbshit.
>>
>>59014285
Anon, you've been already proven wrong so many times that I'm just going to quit this discussion.
Enjoy your cumstained shitpad, but please just take your preferences and opinions back to your containment >>>/g/tpg thread, so I can easily filter this unholy autism
>>
>>59014310
That was the gayest bait ever but I couldn't help but reply it was so fucking juicy, here's your last (You) for the night. Dumbshit.
>>
>>59014341
>That was the gayest bait ever
Ideal for you.
Now take your shoo shoo back to >>>/g/tpg
Don't post in this thread anymore
>>
>>59014174
>i5-2520m/i7-2620m

Don't those have gpu acceleration for h264?
>>
>>59014372
No
also
>h264
>2017
kek
>>
>>59014367
I thought you were leaving.
>>
>>59014341
>gayest bait ever
ideally fits in your tight boipucci
>>
>>59014421
I only let macshills in there, they have the best toys.
>>
>>59014387
>No
Yes.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Intel-HD-Graphics-3000-graphics-solution.43710.0.html

Also, just tried playing a 1080p video on Youtube with a Core2duo. It was VP9, so no GPU acceleration, but CPU usage was below 30% and no dropped frames.

So I'm pretty sure any i5/i7 can handle it easily.
>>
>>59014438
>core2duo
>no speedstep
>30% use
>power use: 2137W
>>
>>59014458
And your point is? Those i5s are significantly faster, so saying that a T420 can't play 1080p Youtube easily is wrong.
>>
>>59014498
Nobody said T420 can't into 1080p youtube.
All I said was it does it inefficiently even in comparison to modern 2W Atom SoCs
>>
>>59014509
>it does it inefficiently even in comparison to modern 2W Atom SoCs
Unless those SoCs have hardware accelerated VP9 decoding, no.
Even if they do, that doesn't say much unless all you do with your computer is watch Youtube videos.
Atoms are pretty weak in general CPU performance.
>>
>>59014458
>no speedstep
what planet do you live on? that shit's been a thing since the Pentium III
either way C2Ds are hardly power hogs, stop exaggerating reality to validate your retarded goalpost moving
>>
>>59014765
>speedstem on c2ds
>three power states with almost same voltage
>also what are c states
kys
>>
>>59014797
>moving the goalposts again
>still uses fuck all no matter what
>>
>>59014860
using old CPUs, aka. wasting power and resources should be illegal in any 1st world country.
>>
dude weed
>>
>>59014895
Manufacturing new CPUs and PCs is also wasting resources.
>>
>>59014895
>now let's stealthily try to change the subject away from my failed shitty argument with a provocative statement not based in reality or rational thought
'no'

take responsibility for your retardation by killing yourself instead of continuing to waste oxygen and resources better spent on people with an IQ above 85
>>
>>59013443
Because my work gave me a T450
>>
>>59014895
Compared to using resources making new ones instead of using old ones?
Your the same as those retarded leftists that want slightly more efficient cars and to get rid of old ones even though they don't take into account that the production of the new cars also uses a lot of resources which do no good to the environment.
>>
>>59013443
It's way too big and heavy
If I were a /g/ drone who knows nothing of the world outside of Thinkpads I'd use an X series.
Thankfully there are other choices out there.
>>
File: vG37nxS.gif (45KB, 650x500px) Image search: [Google]
vG37nxS.gif
45KB, 650x500px
>>59014895
>>
I don't own the best laptop ever made because I'm too poor.

I do, however, own a T420.
>>
>>59015296
how's it treating you?
>>
>>59013443
because that shit is ancient, it belongs to a museum
>>
>>59013810

that's weird, because they run fine
>>
>>59014007
even my t410 runs fine with most applications

the only major shitty thing is the shitty screen
>>
>>59015322
It fits my use case well enough. I basically treat it like a Chromebook that can also run visual novels. The battery life is acceptable with the extended battery, and the keyboard is amazing. The only fault I have with it is that it doesn't like running YouTube at 60fps. It'll do it, but it gets hot and eats a lot of battery. The screen was shit, too, but it's better after I swapped in the panel from an Alienware M14x R2.
>>
I did the biggest mistake anyone could do and got the t440s
I didn't pay full price (was over 1300€) I only paid like 600€
But still... The trackpad is making me want to kill myself
If it didn't have cancer trackpad and fans would be quiter it would be perfect for me
>>
>>59013443
Because I own a T450s
>>
>>59013443
Elitebook 2560p mustard ace reporting in.
>>
>>59015912
2560 and 2570p are the best lapotps /g/ ignores
>>
File: 1486853805946.jpg (201KB, 1440x1555px) Image search: [Google]
1486853805946.jpg
201KB, 1440x1555px
What's /g/'s opinion on the X220t?
>>
File: 1487279890148.png (2MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
1487279890148.png
2MB, 1920x1090px
>>59016556
bad!
>>
File: 1486695949427.jpg (97KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1486695949427.jpg
97KB, 800x450px
>>59016579
Why?
>>
>>59013443
I ordered a t420 for my fiance but Newegg sent me a t430
>>
>>59013530
I envy you.
t. T410 user
>>
>>59013443
they start to smell like rotten rubber after a while and you need to replace the hard drive rails
>>
I spend 360€ on mine

> 230 € T420 with 1600x900 and nvs
> 60€ SSD
> 30€ ram
> 15€ caddy
> 25€ dock
> 0€ Windows 10

totally worth it.
>>
>intel hd 3000

This is why they suck. These days you need at least HD 4000 to play 1080p high quaility videos.
>>
>>59013443
It's not the T440.
>>
I'm happy with my contemporary Thinkpad laptops.
>>
>>59016556
avoid unless you actually need the tablet features, its noticeably more bulky, heavier and battery life is worse than a regular x220
>>
>>59013587
what's so good about 1600x900? it's not even fhd
??
>>
>>59013443
x220 is better
>>
>>59015498
you can replace the trackpad with the **50 trackpad, which has the dedicated trackpoint buttons.
>>
>>59016753
Well, I find the digitizer feature quite appealing.
>>
>>59013443
They're good backups if you want something cheap and reliable that you aren't going to use everyday.
But if you really need something to use regularly i don't think it's a good choice.
>>
>>59013443
..because work gives me one for free
>>
I need some help guys
thinkpad w530 with following specs
> i7-3740QM 2,7 ghz
>128gb ssd
>15,6 1920x1080 fhd (no IPS which sucks)
>8 Gb DDR3-RAM
Used for £470/$580
The screen has scratches on it but i heard it can be replaced for £20 or so, is this worth getting or should i look for something with an ips screen and equivalent specs for same price range?
>>
>>59013443
i do
>>
>>59013443
Does a T420s count?
>>
>>59013618
>Lift moar
>Lift moar
>Get more batteries, they are cheap
>HDD caddy for ultrabay
>>
>>59017043
I wouldn't worry so much about the screen not being IPS, the whole IPS>TN meme is more important when comparing cheap panels where the W530 FHD panel has good colour reproduction and would probably only be inferior to an ordinary IPS in terms of viewing angles, though still nowhere near as bad as the shitty TN panels thinkpads are known for.

I can't really speak for the price but it doesn't seem unreasonable.
>>
Seen one for 199€ at some used laptop store but it has 2 "spots" on the screen Should I risk it?
>>
>>59017077
>soldered CPU
>Limited battery size
>more compact than T420
The main point of it is to be small, but since you can't use an extended battery that just goes to waste for most people anyway. If that doesn't matter to you and you don't ever want to replace the CPU then it's alright.
>>
>>59017126
Get a replacement panel if needed.
Its a over typical, but youre a yuro so id expect slight price increase.
>>
>>59013675
X220 then.
>>
>>59017126
Just pay 30€ more and get one without spots
>>
>>59017162
Holy fuck you cant type.
What he meant to say was its a bit over typical price
>>
>>59017129
i7-2620m is fine for me and I carry charger with it anyway almost always when I carry it. The battery is still original with almost 400 cycles and it's garbage, it lasts bit over 2 hours with medium usage and maybe 2,5h if lighter than usual usage. Lucky me doesn't really ever use it for long times on battery so it hasn't been a concern really
>>
>>59013443
>16:9 lolno

T400 masterrace
>>
>>59013443
Shitty screen.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KloWxffpc

>lenovo

LMAO
>>
>>59017307

lel, that's pathetic even for chinkshit.
>>
Because I got a T410 from a friend for $30 and an SSD for $50
>>
Going to share a secret with you guys... [spoiler]ELITEBOOK 8460p[/spoiler]
>>
>>59017447
>2.4kg

>>>/fit/
>>
I have one and a coworker has a t430
If one of us forgets are charger we have each others back
Also i dont like dell or hp products
>>
>>59018323
Eh, IMO some Dell/HP stuff is alright. Older Optiplexes (Basically everything before 2010 with a decent processor and screen) and Pavilions (dvX and dmX series circa 2010)
>>
>>59018412
Can you recommend something for the £450-£500 range? No gaming/video editing just needs good screen and to be fast
>>
>w530
>w540
which and why?
>>
>>59013443
>tfw reading all these shitposts in bed on my comfy t420
feels good man
>>
Which has a better quality display?
>w530 1920x1080 15,6in
>w540 1920x1080 15,6in
>>
>>59018702
t420 isnt comfy at all
>>
>>59013443
I think it's a bit dated, it probably can't handle all the modern browser bloatware properly
>>
>>59018869
wtf i read this and i'm no longer comfy now
thanks for opening my eyes
>>
>>59013443
>1336x768 resolution
>best
>>
I do.

But God, I fucking hate that mine has a nvidia card. I fucking hate nvidia and the optimus crap they produce.
If I know one thing in my life, it's that my next thinkpad won't have a dedicated GPU.
>>
>>59013443
That's not an x230
>>
>>59013443
>Why don't you own the best laptop ever made?
i do! i have my macbook pro right here!
>>
>>59018990
>1600 x 900 +
>>
>>59018472
Any W4x0 series with a good panel
Any T4x0 series with a good panel
Any X2x0 (t) series with a good panel (tablet version only if you like having wacom shit)
>>
>>59019098
>16:9
>not 16:10
1440x900 + 900x1440 rolling on through
>>
File: Golden Ratio.png (14KB, 632x166px) Image search: [Google]
Golden Ratio.png
14KB, 632x166px
>>59019655
pic related
>>
Why is the T420 more popular than the T520? Isn't it just a better version of the T420?
>>
File: thinkpad.png (2MB, 1080x1342px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad.png
2MB, 1080x1342px
But I do.
>>
>>59019640
Which is better? I have the option of either getting a w530 or w540
w540 has higher ppi so i'm assuming the screen is better quality since they're both fhd and same resolution.
>>
I was thinking of getting the X1 Carbon soon. Is it worth it?
>>
>>59019914
Do you have 20 bucks to replace the touchpad on the W540 with a 50 series touchpad ?
If yes, W540.
If no, W530.
>>
>>59019973
If i buy the w530 i need to replace the screen since it has scratches in the middle, screen replacement will cost £50-£60 from what i can see on ebay, so maybe i'll get the the w540
>>
>>59019914
Chiclet keyboard, ymmv unless you can replace with older model
>>
>>59020069
Well, the W540 is overall a better machine. More modern specs, can have a higher res screen, and what have you, but its touchpad is outright unusable because of the lack of proper buttons.
You should be able to upgrade it to the 50 series touchpad (pic related) though, as you can with all other 40 series machines, so as long as you factor that in you're good. Should be a simple drop-in replacement afaik.
>>
>>59013443
>be me
>Feel comfy about my MBP 2013 15 inch
>discover /g/
>don't post for months
>finally do post
>find the daily TPG thread
>go all out, and listen to /g/ and get myself a used T420
>Best PC I have ever used
>Now using it as my secondary computer, with Ubuntu

Most times you guys are wrong, but I do have to admit that this laptop is beyond anything I could have ever expected.
>>
>>59020147
alright thanks i will go with the w540, as long as i win the bid.
>>
>>59020219
>be me
>Mostly shitpost on /k/
>feel comfy about my HP Pavilion dm4-1160us
>buy a few things from a guy I know, includes a T410, 1TB HDD and a 256GB SSD all for $100
>slap SSD into T410
>have an $80 shitposting machine
>decide to go on /g/
>thinkpad general
>start shitposting on there
>beat T410 with a cane
>went hill-hopping with T410 in passenger seat
>it's still fine
Where did everything go so right?
>>
>>59013443
My brother has one but you can't even play shit
>>
>>59013443
Because I already own a T60p and a W520, aka best thinkpads
>>
>>59020357
>implying a business laptop was intended for gaming
>>>/v/
>>
File: file.png (79KB, 775x532px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
79KB, 775x532px
The best thinkpad ever
>>
>>59014277
>The most well built ones are old IBMs that are too old be to practical anymore.
Those didn't have the magnesium frame and literally bent to death
T60 is the best and it's a lelnovo
>>
File: Thinkpad E570 2.jpg (262KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Thinkpad E570 2.jpg
262KB, 800x600px
>>59020369

>Implying that being able to play modern games at Low and older games at High / Max isn't a reasonable expectation when purchasing a laptop

I'm not trying to detract from the awesomeness of older Thinkpads, but I am saying that not being able to game or output video to TVs & modern displays when using older models is a valid criticism.

>E570 Master Race Reporting in

(T570 isn't out yet, plus it will likely be $300 more for the same specs. I already have a desktop, so I can stand to sacrifice build quality for a better deal.)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9JJ56M0175
>>
>>59014438
>>59014458
Even an old GMA 4500 has a h.264 hardware decoder. The ATI GPU in my T60p doesn't even have that and plays everything fine
>>
File: 1487182237246.jpg (30KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1487182237246.jpg
30KB, 320x240px
>>59020357
>play
>>
>Acer Aspire V3-574G
Thoughts?
seems solid except the i7 dual core
dual core seems garbage why do so many laptops have it?
>>
>>59013574
I get the feeling that you live in Portland, and that you're a unicorn. ;)
>>
>>59013443
Because I own a T500.
>>
How hot does the T420 with the NVS get under
>gaming
?
My W520 gets to 90C for CPU and 85C GPU, but that's one of the top configurations
>>
>>59020498
Shit build quality.
>>
>>59020646
Only need for home usage so it's not that big of an issue. The Dual core i7 is a big problem, i don't trust dual cores, wish this shit had quad core and it would be perfect. Also, W530 for 550euros + screen needs replacing another 70 euros, is this worth it?
>>
>>59020699
What do you want to use it for? And not sure if that's worth it, I bought a good W520 for 420€. Check the specs, The thinkpad should be a quadcore and have the K2000M GPU
>>
but i do have a t420
>>
How silent are these t420?
>>
>>59020795
>silent
>t420
kek
>>
>>59020795
If you replace paste and fans, and HDD for SSD, quiet whirr
If you don't, Jet Engine.
>>
>>59013443
It has the worst screen ever made for a laptop, that's why

Also the fans are noisy and the machine is hot if you use it on your lap
>>
>>59020795
My W520 is pretty much silent unless I'm heavily using the CPU and GPU. A T420 should be fine with new thermal paste
>>
>>59020745
Regular browsing/downloading/watching movies and stuff like this, nothing cpu intensive like photoshop/gaming etc so good screen is a must
>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W530-Core-i7-3740QM-2-7GHz-8Gb-128GB-SSD-W7-15-6-1920x1080-K1000-/311777328926?hash=item4897607f1e:g:UeoAAOSwnNBXTu8O&autorefresh=true
>>
>>59013443

I still own a T420, but I stopped using it and got an ultrabook.

Why?

Got sick of the 9-cell battery meme. If you get a brand new 9 cell you might get decent life, but a few months in they go to shit because they are poorly made batteries. Ultrabook does 10+ hours without blinking an eye. I know that there is people out there who claim to get 10+ hours on a T420 by disabling a bunch of stuff and running 20% brightness but why sacrifice user experience.

I definitely do not miss the god awful screen.

I do miss the keyboard and pointing stick.
>>
>>59013443
But I do. I also have an x200t, an x220t and an x60t. Oddly enough I end up using the x60t most of the time. It's old as fuck and not even a core 2 duo. Just plain core duo.
>>
>>59020873
Are you sure that you need a quad core? You don't even really need the nvidia GPU for doing that.
>>
Bad screen and mine thermal throttles so bad it runs worse than my X220T at times.
>>
>>59016775
X220 is 1366x768
>>
>>59020815
>>59020818
>>59020818
>>59020866
Welp, I'm cancelling my order right now.
>>
Oh but I do. It's an Ableton Live crushing machine. And crush it does. The i7 in those is really pretty good. And it cost me no more than $300.
>>
>>59013443
>ITT: aspies talking about their 9 years old cumstained thinkpads
Pathetic.
>>
>>59020978
Normalfag pls leave, you have a date at the Apple store today
>>
>no m.2 slot
>only 1 USB 3.0 on the i7 version
>no Thunderbolt 3 port
>no blu-ray reader
>not even a full HD screen
>DisplayPort port is outdated
>Absolutely abysmal viewing angles

Yeah, think I'll just enjoy my inferior X1 Yoga OLED.
>>
>>59020969
Anon, it might be loud at some regard, however the keyboard and linux compatibility is all worth it.
>>
>>59020795
I use mine for this >>59020974
I'm using thinkpad fan controller left on auto. I have the SSD too. It's silent when idling, but the fan does make a sound when it starts to break a sweat. I wouldn't call it jet engine, more like "quieter than most desktops, and marginally louder than my friends' off the shelf consumer laptops."
>>
>>59020920
Dual core sucks though no? Can't evne open many shit up before it starts to freeze and eat up the cpu, the gpu is not necessary since i'm not gaming but it doesn't hurt streaming movies wise since a bit of power is used.
>>
File: 1458939800985.gif (868KB, 540x350px) Image search: [Google]
1458939800985.gif
868KB, 540x350px
>>59021000
Yeah but, I don't care for linux and I need to use office, besides I don't want to listen to a fan go BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, while I do my daily shitpost.
>>
>>59021000
Nice get. >>59020818 was a joke and it's really pretty good.
>>
>>59021077
If you're browsing and using office, the fan won't even spin up. Only if you actually start using it to capacity.
>>
>>59021077
You can use office web you dumbshit
>>
File: E130.jpg (377KB, 1416x1056px) Image search: [Google]
E130.jpg
377KB, 1416x1056px
The ThinkPad E130 (rebranded x121e) is the best Windows computer I ever used. If there was some merge of that machine and some of the X2XX lines, that would be an amazing machine.

Do the common older ThinkPads have spare mPCIe slots? Having an mSATA SSD boot drive in the mPCIe slot and a mechanical storage drive in the SATA bay is great.
>>
>>59021000
Do you have any fucking idea how many quiet ThinkPads there are with screens are aren't literally as bad as screens get? Released in the last 4 years?

New Thinkpad keyboards are still the best in the market, second only to the old ones
>>
>>59021057
You wont use the GPU while running desktop applications, unless you explicitly enable a BIOS setting to make it the default. The intel GPU is fine for everything you do on the desktop, including streaming videos. These laptops use Optimus, look up how it works.
Running many programs shouldn't be a problem unless all of them need the CPU all the time
>>
>>59021112
>Released in the past 4 years
>past 4 years
there's your problem
>>
>>59021111
Old Thinkpads only have SATA2 speeds in the msata slot.
>>
>>59021111
Quads of questioning
Yes, older T4x0 series computers have a spare mPCIe slot, but you're better off getting an external GPU for it, or a new wireless card (do they make 3G/4G cellular cards for mPCIe at all?
>>
what are you guys doing on /g/ if you dont own a t420 with arch/gentoo and i3/openbox?
>>
>>59021147

>you're better off getting an external GPU for it

Wouldn't be my thing at all, I was just interested in storage expanding options.

>do they make 3G/4G cellular cards for mPCIe at all?

No, not new ones but there's lots available still even on Amazon. The E130 even has a SIM card slot in the battery clipping area.
>>
>>59021164
Owning these instead
>>59020366
>>
>>59021125
There's literally nothing wrong with newer ThinkPads. The keyboards are still incredible
>>
File: 1347717974007.jpg (37KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1347717974007.jpg
37KB, 500x375px
>>59021104
I always have dozens open tabs and I use photoshop a lot too.

>>59021107
>you dumbshit
How rude!
>>
>>59021357
>no virtual numpad
>Fn key required for volume buttons or function keys
>retarded layout

But yeah, overall it's an acceptable compromise. The clickpads are fucking trash though for someone like me who likes to use the touchpad and buttons with two hands.
>>
>>59013587
>Sometimes I miss the 1600x900 display though
>Missing the 2nd worst modern Thinkpad™ display.
You better be in Europe. There's no excuse not to own an x230 with IPS.
>>
>>59013658
>I'm skinnyfat as fuck
This is all I need to know to know that you own an old Thinkpad.
>>
>>59021117
So what laptop do i need then for my needs and how much am i supposed to spend? don't want to spend extra on things i won't be using/needing
>>
>>59020795

it's loud as fuck, no matter how many times you change the thermal shitpaste.

the fan is hardwired to jump to 3500rpm at 50C.

if you use thinkpadfancontrol or whatever loonix equivalent then yes it can be quiet.
>>
should i build a t60/t61 hybird thinkpad? They seem like theyd struggle in 2017 and it would cost me a fortune but i've always wanted one for that glorious 4:3 ips display.
>>
File: IMG_0530.jpg (560KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0530.jpg
560KB, 2592x1936px
It's okay. Someone in my class asked if I upgraded it?
>>
>>59021708
T/W520 with the fullHD panel, I guess. Don't buy anything with a 1366x768 or 1600x900 screen. The W520 is a bit of an overkill and not as portable because it has a large PSU, but they often have the FullHD panels.
>>59021745
Really not worth it in my opinion, performance difference is marginal and actually worse if you go from ATi to intel GPUs. But you could just get a T60p and upgrade to core2duo.
>>
>>59021768
Probably means if you put new RAM/an SSD in.
>>
File: fedorafag.jpg (41KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
fedorafag.jpg
41KB, 400x533px
>My laptop from 5 generations ago is the best!
>>
>>59021778
only issue with that is max ram is capped at 3gb and im limited to sata 1
>>
>>59021799
>implying this one isn't the best
It's like 10 generations behind
>>59021815
Sata1 isn't really a problem, you still get much better speeds with an SSD. And you can't really run anything that REQUIRES more than 3GB Ram because the CPU and GPU are shit anyway. They are only good for shitposting and watching videos.
>>
>>59021853
i have a habit of leaving 1 million tabs open thats why
>>
>>59021864
Well, break the habit.
>>
>>59021799
>I-it's got 1430 hour battery life
>No I don't need to get an SSD
>Even with the HHD it's faster than housefire ****lake.
>Buying a Thinkpad™ is a revolution against branding and consumerism!
>Totally not because I'm poor!!!
>>
File: file.png (465KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
465KB, 1600x1200px
>>59021864
Don't know if it helps, but here's my memory usage with 2GB RAM
>>
>>59021901
>1600x1200
seeing this just makes me want to follow through even more
>>
>>59021899
Dunno about you but I scored a T410 from a friend of mine for $30, and an SSD from ANOTHER friend for $50, and it works fine.
So, yes. I did buy a thinkpad because it's cheap.
>>
>>59021853
Literally no reason not to go with a t61, or Frankenpad if you're not a poorfag and/or financially unresponsible.

15" 4:3 T60s had the best display options of those two generations, although there are some really good displays around if you are brave enough to go order.
>>
File: 1482790005987.gif (103KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1482790005987.gif
103KB, 450x253px
>>59021901
>/r9k/
>>
>>59021933
The point is to enjoy Thinkpads because they're Thinkpads, not to be an idiot and claim they're anything else. I have old Mercedes for much the same reasons, but I don't claim they are better in every way than new production Benzos.

Or you can actually believe that your Sandy Bridge is better than Kaby and join in a never ending circlejerk of ever-changing misjustification.
>>
>>59021929
My experience with the screen:
- good colors
- IPS glow isn't really noticeable

- backlight is dimmer on the right side and takes some minutes to become bright
- maximum brightness is nothing compared to modern LED screens
- these screens seem to break if you're not careful, mine shows broken lines when I'm opening/closing it
- dust can get inside of the panel

>>59021963
Comedy gold
>>
>>59021982
>Sandy vag
Get a load of this guy, thinks T410's are Sandy Bridge. It's an Arrandale CPU.
>>
>>59022014
>---posting in a t420 thread--- and being this much more of a faggot.
Just anon thingssss™
>>
File: t420.png (561KB, 900x562px) Image search: [Google]
t420.png
561KB, 900x562px
>>59022014
>>59022041

For (((the community.)))
>>
>>59022041
Shut up Mr. SOROS, shouldnt you be managing your finances right now?
>>
>>59021982
"Benzos"? Is that what you call them?
>>
#59022130(U)
What do they call them in your Chinese cartoons?
>>
>>59022336
Mercedes cars.
>>
@59022336
メルセデス
>>
>14"
That's why.
>>
>>59022352
>Mercedes cars
>>>/hell/

>59022357
>メルセデス
+1
>>
>>59014174

I just hooked my x220 to my 1440p monitor and it plays 1440p video on youtube no problem, and I paid <£150, actually sitting here laughing at you falling for marketing nonsense
>>
>>59022999
>sitting here laughing
Me too, anon.
>>
I own and like it, but its fan started to rattle just like all other Thinkpads I own. I fucking HATE changing fans of a laptop.
>>
>>59023757
t420 is one of the easier ones, at least. if i recall right from repasting one, just the keyboard and palmrest/trim need to come off, and a screw to move the left speaker out of the way. x220 needs the entire board to be removed & flipped over. it's putting cables back in the right place so they don't get pinched that annoys me the most
>>
File: stinkpad.jpg (486KB, 1439x1199px) Image search: [Google]
stinkpad.jpg
486KB, 1439x1199px
my thinkpad > your chinkpad
>>
>>59024306
>1024x768
cringe
>>
>>59025046
1024x768 at 12.1" is 105 PPI, that's not too bad at all. Hell it's better than either of my desktop monitors.
>>
>>59025162
anything <= 200 dpi is shit
>>
>>59013443
You misspelled X220-T
>>
>>59016556
it's fun
>>
>>59025291
And you misspelled X220t.
>>
>>59025371
debatable, because on the laptop bezel, it's written "X220 Tablet".
>>
>>59025270
Nah, you're just a fucking autist
>>
>>59025498
nice projection
>>
>>59025564
I'm not projecting anything; I'm merely stating a conclusion based on the substantial evidence.
>>
i have a P50
>>
>>59025599
>that get
ok im an autist then
>>
>>59019640
avoid the x220, even with the IPS panel. its shit tbqh. owner of one here, the machine just werks™ but fuck is the screen shit. terrible ghosting, and screen burn in is noticeable as fuck. i couldnt get laid because of that screen. you've been warned.
>>
Bought one as a work laptop because it was dirt cheap. Mostly for text editing/office crap. Swapped in an SSD. Outside of the trackpad wear, no real problems.That being said I don't really get the reverence people have for the thing. The build quality isn't godlike or anything, and before I swapped the drive, the thing ran hot and loud.
>>
>>59025270
autism
>>
>>59013443
Because I have a libre T400 and it's got enough juice to run parabola and emacs, which is all I care about.
>>
>>59013530
You are god damn right boiiiiii

I also own an x220 but took a few w520s home from work and plan on upping the ram to 32gb and replacing all the drives with SSDs.

Dank ass w520s are god tier.
>>
>>59019836
>running arch

fucking virgin
>>
Why do you all keep hitting yourselves?
>>
>>59027275
nothing wrong with arch, what's wrong are the (elitist)users and those who hate the users
>>
>>59027372
but it is objectively a shit tier distro.

>I can type the name of an application to launch it
you mean like using a terminal
you mean like using Synapse to launch applications.

Its just shit tier and its only use is on shittier laptops.
>>
>>59027407
what? Who ever said anything about launching things from a terminal? I'll break it down for everyone reading this shit argument.
Arch and it's derivatives have this going for them
>Lightweight
>AUR is convenient as fuck
>Archwiki and forums actually help
>Forum isn't plagued by bugs from older versions (see: searching a bug from 16.04 *buntu and getting 14.04 threads)
Here's what it doesn't have/dealbreakers
>Vanilla arch requires more effort to install with no payoff
>bleeding edge means that you'll be downgrading/not updating if you want stability
>pacman is a bit weird for a new user.
>many things don't work OOTB.
>>
>>59027492
PS I personally had problems with mongaro not liking my bluetooth and audio cards on my laptop. Had to dig around a lot and ended up reinstalling
>>
>>59027492
>Lightweight
don't buy shit hardware.
>AUR is convenient as fuck
kek
>Archwiki and forums actually help
When you have to use support forums for your broken ass distro: its a shit one
>Forum isn't plagued by bugs from older versions (see: searching a bug from 16.04 *buntu and getting 14.04 threads)
only valid point.
>>
>>59027511
>don't buy shit hardware.
I haven't bought shit in a while. I don't know if you know this but old hardware isn't very good with newer DEs bundled with distros
>kek
what
>When you have to use support forums for your broken ass distro : it's a shit one.
Not really, everything has a forum of sorts to share bugs/ workaround you mong
>only valid point
I guess.

IMHO Arch and Arch-based 'stros offer nothing over ubuntu minimal
>>
>>59027559
Fair enough.

I should have conceded at your original post but felt like shitposting.

Arch is elevated to a higher level than Ubuntu but really offers fewer advantages and more disadvantages.
>>
>>59027580
>Arch is elevated to a higher level than Ubuntu but really offers fewer advantages and more disadvantages.
pretty much this. But being autistic, I like pacman a bit better but always start out typing sudo apt.
I feel like shitposting too you homo<3
>>
>>59013443
I have the T520, which should suffice.
>>
>>59027559
>don't buy shit hardware.
Breaking rule #1 of Thinkpads.
>>
File: 1434509145029.jpg (33KB, 306x375px) Image search: [Google]
1434509145029.jpg
33KB, 306x375px
>>59027639
RUDE
>>
>>59013443
Because autists like you drive up the price of an ex lease laptop.
>>
>>59013443
Because W530
>>
>>59027695
There aren't enough of us for that to happen.
Thread posts: 282
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.