[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 409
Thread images: 67

File: a98.jpg (36KB, 402x402px) Image search: [Google]
a98.jpg
36KB, 402x402px
For questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Old thread:
>>58594160
>>
My modem is not giving dhcp to non windows os, what can be the problem.

It only works if I connect thro wireless lan
>>
I found this way of protecting against ARP spoofing:
ip link set dev <dev> arp off

arp -s <router ip> <router mac>

The problem though is that after a while the Internet connection will fail. What am I doing wrong?
>>
say i want to view the 2015 source code of a webpage, i am able to do that?
>>
>>58601516
Yes, if there's a cached version of the website.

https://archive.org/web/
>>
>>58601516
Yeah, with Wayback Machine if someone saved a snapshot.
>>
>>58601544
but what if there isnt a cached version? because i have the url of a 2015 document from that webpage and if i enter that url and search the document shows up, but if i search the source code of that same webpage i cant find that document there. How does that document show up if i search for it by manually entering the url, but not when i search for it in the webpages source code doesnt that mean that this document must be stored somewhere on that page?
>>
File: vlc-media-player-1-0-5.png (32KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
vlc-media-player-1-0-5.png
32KB, 256x256px
Why is VLC a meme?
>>
>>58597161

bumping this
>>
File: 1455450990142.jpg (75KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1455450990142.jpg
75KB, 640x640px
What's the modern way of programming 2d games? I still stick to my old and lovely [spoiler]visual basic 6[/spoiler], but I dunno how long will it be compatible with modern systems.
>>
>>58601666
Why are you asking? If there's a newer version then install it. If you're considering installing from F-Droid because you think it might somehow save you from the botnet, it won't. It's called """Google""" Authenticator.
>>
wanted to try elementary os but my pc is 32 bits so it only supports Elementary OS Freya, and its not even on elementary's site anymore to download (was removed somewhere between 2015~2016 i guess). Would it be fine to use it or would there be security/performance implications using it?
>>
>>58601663
Because it's the least competent FOSS all-in-one player from :
MPC-HC
MPV
VLC
>>
>>58601705
Actually, the one on F-Droid it's only called Authenticator. I was asking if this version serves its purpose just as same as the Play Store one
>>
File: meh.ro4347.png (284KB, 600x381px) Image search: [Google]
meh.ro4347.png
284KB, 600x381px
>>58601663
Because there comes a time when some software needs to be redone from scratch, when code and components need to be cleaned, when years of additions and bloat have produced chaos and mistakes that can't be cleaned up without laying everything out and re-configuring it from scratch.
When lessons learned during the development over the years that couldn't be applied before, need to be applied in a new clean slate.

VLC is long long looooooooong overdue on this.
It's a steaming pile of shit as it is now.
>>
File: 1450580928281.jpg (235KB, 1051x1416px) Image search: [Google]
1450580928281.jpg
235KB, 1051x1416px
Is there certain 2.5" HDD enclosure that /g/ recommends?
Or anything goes?
http://a.co/8KqUbE2
>>
>>58601848
/csg/ might have something.
>>
I spilled coffee on my keyboard
One of the keys stopped working
I took it off and cleaned the insides with rubbing alcohol
Key still doesn't work
Is it gone for good, or is there something else I can try?
>>
>>58601663
There simply are better alternatives on Windows (MPC-HC) and *nix (MPV)
>>
>>58601869
if its a rubber dome keyboard it would require you would have to examine the traces on the membrane for damage
>>
>>58601914
They make good slaves, why would we spend money to get rid of a cheap labor force?
>>
How can I spot and avoid children posting on 4chan?
There's the Discord red flag, but what else?
>>
>>58601922
I was afraid it would come to that
Thanks
>>
>>58602005
Not going to /v/.
>>
>>58601938
>shouldn't we put a stop to it already?
You can't put a stop to it, because people need a religion.
Dumbasses who have too much free time;
dumbasses who are too lazy to study and work and influence society through tangible venues such as directly becoming a manager, businessman, politician, engineer, scientist, builder, maintainer, cleaner;
dumbasses who substitute actual work with activism to put it in a TL;DR fashion.
They substitute their personal inabilities, laziness, or just lack of personality and independent thought, with a religion.
It can be God or gods, it can be political, it can be ideological, it can be identity politics, but it's all just a smokescreen and basically the same fucking time-wasting shit.

Even these 500 000 tramps who made a women's march would have done better as humans and members of society if, say, they decided to "protest" that day by the venue of every woman planting 1 tree (500k people doing this would actually help nature),
or every woman buying some food on that day and distributing it to the known poor people in the neighborhood (helping the needy),
or anything.

What we got instead? 500 000 tramps polluting the atmosphere by gas being wasted on a fucking march, by time that could have been used on making their job places more productive being wasted on some stupid march,
the time that could have been used cleaning up the streets and making the environment nicer being wasted on a march that produced even more garbage, by people who are garbage.
That's what you get from activism. Waste of time and garbage people lacking self-awareness.
>>
>>58602042
Did you really just spend all this time replying to a deleted post?
>>
>>58602073
It wasn't deleted when i was posting.
Also, if you're gonna start something, then do it right and finish it, that's my principle.
>>
File: SQUADAJUST.png (296KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SQUADAJUST.png
296KB, 640x480px
is there a file compressor online where i can compress my .zip files down to maybe the smallest it can be? (like around a cozy 5MB to 50MB?)

i need to send something quick to a certain developer friend
>>
>>58602034
i recommend this >>58602034

/v/ is fucking trash with diamond-quality threads coming at random and rare.
>>
>>58602113
Depends on the file type.
What do you want to send? and why online?
>>
>>58602163
>What do you want to send?
a pack of sprite sheets
>and why online?
the dev is on discord

unless you're talking the compressor, it can be offline software or some shit like that
>>
>>58602113
7zip is the best practical compression archive format. It uses LZMA internally
>>
>>58602204
>it can be offline software or some shit like that
Peazip.

But I doubt that you'd get anything more than 1 - 5 MB decrease in file size since most of these are images.
>>
>>58602214
>>58602224
i'll look onto these

thanks
>>
>>58602113
>5MB to 50MB
Good one
>>
>>58602235
I compressed 82 MB file into 2 MB with lzma
>>
>>58602298
I compressed 2TB into one byte, you just need a 2TB dictionary to decompress it
>>
>>58602609
lzma just means you need more ram for better compression. Everything in the archive is enough information on it's own for lossless reconstruction of the data.
it's not hard to improve upon deflate.
>>
whats a good place to start learning about calibrating my tv colors and things?
>>
File: 1450762608292.jpg (66KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1450762608292.jpg
66KB, 437x437px
Is there a way of choosing what folders the DLNA Media streaming chooses for serving?
Alternatively, what's the best way of setting up a local server from my PC to the other devices on my network?
>>
>>58601666
>>58601800
You might want to check out FreeOTP (made by Red Hat):
https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.fedorahosted.freeotp

It's basically the same thing as Google Authenticator but fully FOSS.
>>
>>58601507
not using a good network so you can avoid having to do this sort of shit
because spoofing the mac address is really that hard
>>
I'm planning to use the NH-D15S for my next PC build, along with the Fractal Design Define Nano S lacking the side window.
According to Fractal's website, the maximum height allowed for the CPU cooler would be 162mm for the case lacking the side window.

Here's the problem, on Noctua's website it lists two different heights:
http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s

On the Specifications tab, it states the CPU cooler's height (with fan) is 160mm. It even shows a picture on the tab, clearly showing it's 160mm.
Yet, if you download the information sheet from the Service tab, it states the height is actually 165mm.

What the hell is the actual height of the NH-D15S with the NF-A15 fan attached?
>>
Are WD Blue hard drives usually loud? I've only ever had one and it's A LOT louder than my Toshiba one, it sound almost like a fan. Maybe I just got a dud?
>>
On Manjaro, I updated it recently and restarted my laptop. Now, when I try to log in, I get an error message that says "Could not start kdeinit5, Check your installation."

I have no idea what is causing it, especially since it was working before. What do I do?
>>
>>58603389
KDE issues.
>>
File: ff.png (7KB, 758x74px) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
7KB, 758x74px
Why is Firefox constantly trying to reach this Facebook server? I had this redirected to localhost in the hosts file.
>>
Witch email service you guys recommend?

Privacy, fast, easy etc.
>>
>>58603488
check the exact URL in wireshark.
>>
this is more of a stupid math question

is it possible to write a definite integral as an indefinite one?

like what range would a definite integral be if it were to have a range?
>>
Can Windows escape a VM
>>
>>58603389
>>58603431
I managed to figure it out. An outdated package was doing it.
>>
>>58603737
KDE?
Also how did this happen?
Did you run -Syyu?
>>
File: shitaudio.jpg (82KB, 707x540px) Image search: [Google]
shitaudio.jpg
82KB, 707x540px
So I have a pair of old German 4 ohm bookshelf speakers. I have bought a chink amplifier (Breeze Audio TPA3116) and I threw it together quickly. The amp didn't come with a power supply so I used my old router's 12 V brick. The amp is rated to be able to run on 12-24 V.

I used the output of my laptop's sound card, turned to 95% volume, while the amp was on ~20% at comfortable volumes. My experience was mixed. On low to comfortable volume I couldn't hear almost any bass at all. On high volumes the bass was pretty good, but the mids and highs got too loud for casual listening.

My stupid question is: if I get a 24 V PSU, will the sound become fuller at a lower level or is it not affected by that? Or should I look into software equalisation?

Link to amp: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Breeze-Audio-TPA3116-HiFi-2-0-Audio-Stereo-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Advanced-50W-50W-Sound-good/32664243769.html

Link to speakers: http://ifatwww.et.uni-magdeburg.de/~madaus/boxentext/kb3010t.html
>>
>>58603508
cock.li for all the above
>>
>>58603754
It happened when I last updated the packages yesterday. I've had Manjaro for a good while and installed infinaliity fonts when I first got it, but I never knew it was outdated and no longer supported, so it somehow prevented me from logging in.

I fixed it by accessing the terminal from the login screen and replacing the infinality packages with the default packages (cairo-infinality to cairo, etc.) using pacman -S, and it worked.

It most likely did mess with the kde, but I have no idea in what way it did.
>>
Will things run slower if I boot of a USB?

I need to use linux to run some stuff which uses a lot of CPU / GPU, will I see a big speedup if I install the OS onto my hard drive?
>>
Netbook is running slow and occasionally crashing.
What would be the first thing to change? Would it be worth getting a new HDD?
>>
I have ffmpeg producing a hls stream (ffmpeg -re -i input.mp4 -f hls output.m3u8). It appears to do what it's supposed to: creates the video segments and appends the playlist with the new ones as they're generated.

The problem is, if I try to play the m3u8 file in vlc, it gets stuck when it reaches the end of the playlist and completely locks up. According to the debug messages, it periodically reloads the playlist, but the text it parses remains the same instead of containing the new segments. Opening it myself in notepad, it does contain the new segments though.

I made a simple script that does nothing more than open output.m3u8 every few seconds and save the contents to output2.m3u8; if I then play output2.m3u8 in vlc, it does get an updated playlist whenever it checks.

So is it ffmpeg that isn't writing the playlist properly, or vlc not reading it properly?
>>
>>58603953
It could be literally anything since you provide no information.

What are your specs? CPU, RAM, how much space is left on disk.
What OS are you running? Version as well.
Did you install anything that caused that problem, or did you notice any pattern?

With context no one can help you.
>>
File: Laptop-wifi-icon[1].png (20KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Laptop-wifi-icon[1].png
20KB, 512x512px
Laptop can find nearby wifi networks, but cannot connect to mine.

>can connect to it fine on phone, so it's not the router most likely

>ran just about every network repair on laptop, winsock reset, dns flush, reinstalled network adapter

same issue
Why
>>
>>58603634
Yes, that's (normally) how definite integrals are defined.

If F(a) is the indefinite integral of f at point a, then the definite integral from a to b of f is defined to be F(b) - F(a).
>>
File: broken.png (270KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
broken.png
270KB, 1919x1079px
Hi, I have a problem setting my Ocaml environment on Ubuntu 16.04.

As you can see on the left side of pic related, there seems to have a problem with OPAM's ppa, yet it let me install utop, core, core_extended and async ...

On top right, you can see my .ocamlinit, which has everything it needs to use the Core library in utop.

Yet, on bottom right you can see that I can't open it in utop. What should I do ?
>>
>>58603901
Yes, much slower. If you run your system from your USB you'll be limited by the read and write speeds of the USB, which are much slower (three to four times slower) than a hard disk's ones.

You only run an OS from a flash drive if you're testing it out or if it's something like Kali Linux where you really want to take it with you, otherwise you should install the OS on your hard drive if you don't want to take a massive performance hit.
>>
how do you clean your glasses /g/
I'm getting new lenses because my current ones are full of scratches, but the reason they're full of scratches is because I clean them with my shirt
It is soooo fuckin inconvenient to have to reach for a microfibre cloth everytime you have a smudge on your lens
so what the fuck is the solution here
i know no one actually does the microfibre thing so are scratched lenses just an inevitability?
would love to hear your feedback
>>
my boss asked me about some program to index everything in our office. all the tables, chairs clocks, pens, computers, pot plants etc
can you recommend any good (possibly free) software for it?
>>
>>58603508
Protonmail.
>>
Asshole friend leaves charged capacitors in the lab. What can i make to safely and quickly safe check and discharge them without electrocuting myself?

As simple as it gets in functionality, so it isn't a time waster either.

Also how do i discharge and dont kill myself with the bigger ones ala microwave
>>
>>58604203
I wipe them with one of those damp make-up removal wipes, and then with a dry kitchen towel.
>>
I don't know how to read processors specs.
Overall, how does the i3-4005u compares to the m3-6Y30 and the N3450?

The N3450 is the shittiest among them and the m3 the best?
>>
>>58604203
Dishwashing liquid and rinsing them off with warm water I think is the only proper way to clean them. Just don't touch the lease and I don't see how you would get smudges, I always carry the cloth around with me anyway because it's better than a shirt.
>>
>>58604313
>wiping with not one, but two towels
do you ever leave your house?
with your glasses on?
>>
>>58604203
Microfiber is the only way. I don't wear glasses and I always keep some cloths handy. They're good for other stuff.
>>
>>58603707
There have been a number of VM escape exploits in the past. Also, there have been cache attacks that detect secrets running on the same hardware and more fundamental exploits like Rowhammer. Properly locking down a VM is really difficult.

>>58603634

It can make certain things more convenient with the maths if you
define ∫ₐᵇ f(x) dx as ∫-∞ᵇ f(x) dx - ∫-∞ᵃ f(x) dx or Δ ∫-∞ˣ f(x) dx = ∫-∞^∞ H(b - x) H(x - a) f(x) dx = ∫-∞^∞ ∫-∞^∞ δ(b - s) δ(s - a) H(s - x) f(x) dx ds
>>
>>58604348
What's your solution?
>>
Would a PCI SATA card slow down my read/write speeds?
>>
>>58604382
maybe
>>
>>58604222
glpi? excel? libreoffice calc?
>>
I have a few stupid questions, given I'm studying for IT, but have 0 experience in setting up a server for a small business or a school.
How would you set up one for roughly 250 users?
Which server would you choose for a business with 12 workstations and 2 workstations for graphics?
>>
>>58604330
I don't know either but it just gets smudged time to time
from fingers, maybe water or some shit, sweat, whatever
and how do you carry the cloth exactly?
in your wallet?

>>58604362
same to you, i dont understand how you guys are keeping multiple cloths handy at all times
>>
>>58604307
Anything metal with a plastic handle, like scissors, plyers, screwdriver...
There may be loud pops.
>>
>>58604307
Screwdriver, just place the metal part so that it connects both of the capacitor's poles, hold it like that for like 2 to 3 seconds. That'll short it out, i.e. discharge it. It goes without saying don't put your fucking hands on the metal, hold the screwdriver by the plastic end while doing this.
>>
>>58604398
depending on?
>>
>>58604425
the particular card
>>
>>58604412
Get yourself a satchel/purse/bf with cargo pants and a satchel.
>>
>>58604437
do you know how much a decent card will usually run?
>>
>>58604377
this isn't about my solution, I'm just trying to clarify how you achieve yours
My lenses are already scratched so I just use my shirt, i have no solution

>>58604451
yeah sorry honey i need a man's man solution
and one that doesn't involve cargo pants and satchels
>>
>>58604412
Stuff goes in backpack, backpack comes with. Stays in car for short stuff like popping into a store.
>>
I applied for a job at SpaceX as a flight software engineer. I passed the first software quiz, now how do I study for these phone interviews, the six hour programming challenge, and the on site interviews?

I know a lot of modern C++ and I usually just use the standard library, but from the quiz I've gathered that they mostly do C-style stuff, and I've ony worked with pure C a bit.
>>
>>58604496
You're letting yourself be bullied into constant inconvenience? LOL

You could just stick a cloth in whatever vacant pocket you have? I usually have at least one, even with pocketless leggings.
>>
>>58604497
this is so ridiculous
I'm happy that these things work for you guys but I'm just not going to start wearing a fuckin backpack everywhere just so I can carry a fuckin microfiber cloth
this shit is absolutely looney
>>
>>58604507
Do you have an engineering degree?
>>
>>58604554
no, better
>>
>>58604539
It's also for a lot of other stuff, like power bank, water bottle, snacks, condoms, hat, gloves, tools...

It stays in the car or corner of office or wherever. Nothing loony about it.
>>
>>58604534
how??
i don't know if i could make space with 4 pockets
just between phone wallet and keys it's already taking up 3
>>
>>58604403
please help
>>
File: 1476577688426.png (123KB, 339x345px) Image search: [Google]
1476577688426.png
123KB, 339x345px
The title clip feature on Kdenlive isn't working for me. I have the main video on Video 3, and then I put the title clip in Video2/1, and it doesn't appear on the screen. I've tried using a transition, but all that does is show the title clip with an opaque background. There's no documentation anywhere on this.
>>
>>58604611
Get a smaller cloth. There's some that can fit in a wallet. The thin kind of microfiber, not the fluffy stuff.
>>
>>58604587
like i said, it's great if it works for you, but I don't need 50% of those things 99% of the time, and I'm also going to be very pissed if I'm at the mall and have to travel all the way back to my car to restore my field of vision
>>
>>58604412
I just keep it in my pocket
>>
>>58604659
yeah I was thinking that's what it might come down to
I still don't like it but it seems to be the most viable thing out there
>>
As a student I have legal copies of both Win 10 Education (modified Enterprise without Cortana and ads) and Server 2016.

I heard on /g/ that Server 2016 might be better than Edu even for everyday desktop.

But if I would install it on my PC, would that "bound" they key to that machine? Or I would be able to later remove it and install on another PC and activate as normal?

I remember that Win 7 installation I had from same source could activate normally on another PC after deinstallation, but I dont know if Win10/Server 2016 works the same.

Or I should just install that Edu instead and Server 2016 on desktop is not good idea?

Thanks for advice.
>>
How heavily does Gnome 3 rely on systemd? I want to use it with Void, but I'm not sure if it will work.
>>
>>58604759
fuck off
>>
File: giphy_s.gif (34KB, 320x256px) Image search: [Google]
giphy_s.gif
34KB, 320x256px
>>58604781
>>
File: 1471330802430.png (13KB, 729x197px) Image search: [Google]
1471330802430.png
13KB, 729x197px
I'm using my laptop to view movies on my TV through HDMI. I bitstream Dolby Digital AC3 and DTS to my reciever.

However, the Intel audio device is not capable of bitstreaming Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD to the reciever. Thus I would like to send it as LPCM audio to the reciever instead.
When I attempt to play a movie with DTS-HD, Media Player Classic just falls back to bitstreaming the standard DTS audio instead of sending DTS-HD as a LPCM signal.

What am I doing wrong?
I have disabled DTS-HD bitstreaming in MPC-HC but allowed bitstreaming of standard DTS since I can bitstream that normally.
>>
>>58603813
Bampu
>>
I'm dual booting OpenSUSE with windows 10 and after a suse update windows just doesn't show up in grub. How the fuck that happens is beyond me, but anyway I'd like some guidance how to recover the boot entry without reinstalling everything. I use windows for work and it would be a real pain in the ass to reinstall a bunch of 10GB CAD programs.
>>
>>58604943
install GRUB again. That works at .deb bistros.
>>
>>58604403
>>58604640
Anyone?
>>
In what situations would I want to install a 32 bit version of software, when my OS is 64?

I remember people saying to use 32-bit MPC-HC because of the common addons like madVR only working under 32 bit.

Is this all a thing of the past now?
>>
>>58603488
since you put that in the hosts file it thinks that domain is the localhost
>>
I work in IT support for Barclays atm and it's mentally exhausting and stressing. I've worked with Python a little bit (made two programs) and am currently learning Front End Development, albeit rather slowly.

I can't say I'm skilled enough to get a proper job, unless it's some fairly basic junior position. The only junior position I was able to find was a VBA developer.

Do you think VBA is a good position to start off your developer career, or should I just focus on javascript for now and get a proper front end job? I'm not sure if I'd prefer back-end or front-end long term, but I need to escape my current job asap.
>>
>>58605161
very few software is like that
>>
>>58604778
Anybody?
>>
asus, saphire or xfx for rx series?
>>
>>58605257
systemd isn't that bad anon
you just need to learn some new commands and file locations

if you really don't want it then check the void forums searching for gnome and maybe check the package dependencies or ask on some irc
>>
>>58604778
What do you gain messing with that stuff when you could be learning castellano or something?
>>
File: 1466484373360.jpg (48KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1466484373360.jpg
48KB, 256x256px
Is there any risk of electrocution when taking apart a PSU when its completely disconnected from everything?
>>
What would be a good budget estimate for a Zen/Vega top tier build?
>>
>>58605375
Yes, be sure to connect it to everything right away.
>>
>>58605054
thanks man updating grub solved it
>>
File: Koala.jpg (763KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763KB, 1024x768px
Help needed ;_;

Last night I finish assembling my first PC

- 7th Gen Pentium G4600 3.6GHz
- MSI B150 PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
- Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400
- Toshiba 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
- Raidmax ATX-295WBP ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply
- I am using an old HDTV as a Monitor through HDMI

System turns on, it seems to POST even though no beep is heard, fans spin and all seems good; nothing shows up on monitor though, I've tried 2 different cables and tested it only on 2 TV's (I haven't used a monitor). I do know for a fact both cables and TV's work since I tested them from laptop, problem is even on the laptop BIOS doesn't come up, only once inside OS can I see stuff; this is the problem I am hoping for since I would be really really really upset if it was a hardware or incompatibility issue.

Other 2 culprits are either the PSU or that the BIOS is not updated yet to support Kaby (THIS IS THE PROBLEM I'M REALLY AFRAID OF). But again, system boots and everything seems to be fine, the machine doesn't even shut down or anything, power led stays on and fans running, for as long as I keep them. It's just that I haven't been able to see the BIOS or any signal on the TV.

Some things to be noted:
1. I am aware the Motherboard is Skylake, however the BIOS update came out in October and I bought it January 14; I'm assuming it has been updated already.
2. System POST works, I tested it by taking out the RAM, system beeps 3 times as expected and DRAM led stays on. Putting it back gives no beeps at all, HDD beeps when I shut down system.
3. PSU came with the case, not very high quality, but everything is connected and as I said, everything boots up.
4. Using integrated GPU

PLEASE HELP THIS LITTLE AUTIST ;_;
>>
>>58605375
Yes. It can kill you if the capacitors still have charge and you touch something.
>>
>>58605418
How can I make sure they don't have charge before I take it apart

I want to replace the noisy fan inside
>>
just touch them while holding a metallic object to make sure current will flow thru your body and into the metal, that way you are 100% safe.
>>
File: CCC.png (3KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
CCC.png
3KB, 320x200px
Is putting my backup on an LVM partition a bad idea? I was just about to reformat my two HDDs with LVM and make one partition for backup, but now I'm thinking that if one HDD goes my backup partition might not be readable?
>>
>>58605439
if its not chinkshit wait like 5 minutes after everything is unplugged and just to be safe don't touch anything you don't need to touch for replacing the fan.
>>
If I replace my current hard drive with a brand new one, am I safe to assume any previous issues relating to my old hard drive will be gone?
>>
>>58605470
>quick start guide to electrocuting yourself
>>
can I reuse old power button/reset for turning on mobo when testing components instead of jumpstarting with screwdriver? that would be much safer right?
>>
>>58605491
yep
>>
>>58605439
Wait a few months or jab everything with a screwdriver? If you don't already know this, it's likely you won't know how to replace the fan. It's often soldered to a board. Do you know how to solder?
>>
>>58605474
>wait like 5 minutes
High voltage capacitors can hold charge for months if not years.

>>58605439
Don't work on high voltage electronics if you aren't qualified. Otherwise discharge the caps using a screwdriver to bridge the terminals.

Normies are like muggles when it comes to electricity I swear...
>>
>>58605491
its literally just a momentary switch, not much can go wrong

>>58605512
that's why I said if its not chinkshit, because it should have bleed resistors
>>
found an old list of browser addons, don't know how outdated it is
do people still use privacy badger and https everywhere?
>>
>>58605527
first part meant for >>58605493
>>
>>58604054
1.8GHz i3-3217U
4GB RAM
Windows 8.1.
No, I got it second hand, wiped the whole thing and reinstalled Windows. Also has Debian on another partition which runs better.
>>
>>58605531
no reason to use privacy badger when you have ublock and self-destructing cookies and https everywhere is useful
>>
>>58605631
hmm never heard of self destructing cookies, just looking at it now
what harm can cookies do?
>>
Ok so what I'm hearing is I probably should leave the power supply alone

What other solutions are there to a noisy psu fan?
>>
>>58605752
setting tracking cookies and stuff
>>
>>58605781
What's its airflow like? Does it have vents to breath in and out from?
The less air it gets the faster it'll spin.
>>
>>58605752
You might as well check your cookie settings and disable 3rd party ones.

This does not break your internets for like 99.99% of the time. Last i checked, only something like outlook/hotmail required 3rd party cookies for some things and i'm sure they could do without but they are FAGS!!1
>>
What's the best alternative to Foobar?
>>
>>58604320
Anyone?
>>
>>58605799
ok
i just don't know if this addon is for me because i don't know a lot about cookies so I wouldn't know what to whitelist or not
for example a porn site
would i want to destroy cookies from there?
>>
File: 180763175.jpg (15KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
180763175.jpg
15KB, 250x250px
Whats the best duplicate image finder for windows? I got too much porn and my current one, Visipics, isn't finding everything.
>>
>>58605838
Yea airflow is fine and its clean
its a:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Power-Supplies/EVGA-Supernova-Modular-Platinum-Supply/B01BGG5POM
>>
>>58605863
Destroy everything and you'll have to login in every site every time you visit.
>>
>>58602113
if you're going to upload it as it is anyway, just put it on some free file hosting site and have him download that
>>
>>58605843
if i do this i don't need the add on?

>>58605884
wouldn't want that
>>
File: file.png (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
137KB, 500x500px
hey /sqt/

I have a TV/DTV port in my projector and I was wondering if I can insert a coax cable in there to watch tv. If not, what would I need to watch via Coax?
>>
What's the best video player on android?
>>
>>58605951
VLC :c
>>
>>58603901
depends on a few factors
assuming it's the same hard drive you're using, if it's usb2, then sequential access will be limited to ~45MB/s (down from ~100-140MB/s for most modern desktop hdd's), but random access won't be affected much, as hard drive can't do 45MB/s with small, random accesses anyway
if it's usb3, there may be little to no difference at all, as it has enough bandwidth

as far as software performance goes, it depends on what the software does
once the program and relevant data has been loaded from the disk into memory, execution speed will not be affected
for example, lets say it is usb2, and you went to run a game, starting the game and loading levels may be slower, but in-game speed will be the same
>>
>>58605942
Cookies keep your preferences and other info from sites you visit.
So if you want to always stay logged-in in a site you visit, don't clear the cookies from that sites.
If you want to always have the same setting in a site you visit, you don't clear the cookies from that site.

It's that simple.
So if you always to to be logged in when you visit gaytube, just don't delete the gaytube cookies.
>>
What browser should I use on my android phone?
>>
>>58605998
Lightning
>>
>>58606008
Already tried it. It's slow and after a while it loses all my tabs.
>>
>>58605983
that is simple
thanks bud
>>
>>58604839
there's no disadvantage in your case to just using LPCM for everything, see if you can just do that

i say "in your case", because if you were using S/PDIF then you'd be stuck with 2 channels if you use LPCM due to bandwidth constraints
>>
>>58605867
Anti-Twin serves me good, bit older but good
>>
so to ground yourself you
put brass screw into psu, clip aligator from wrist strap to it, take power cable from psu and plug it into powered off surge protector? are those right steps?
>>
>>58606045
I'll consider it.

I just like how my reciever itself confirms that it's using DTS or Dolby Digital properly. There is no easy way to confirm that the reciever plays DTS-HD rather than DTS if the reciever plays a LPCM signal.
>>
File: dell-laptop-keyboard-repair.jpg (48KB, 550x364px) Image search: [Google]
dell-laptop-keyboard-repair.jpg
48KB, 550x364px
is it safe to assume that all laptop keyboards have "removable" keys? as in: you can remove one without breaking it and put it back in?

my spacebar seems to be acting up (squeaky sounds, can be unresponsive if I type fast and hit it a lot)

my guess is I can probably fix this by removing the spacebar and putting it back in as one of the rubber things has probably moved or something

the thing is the laptop is 1 month old so I could theoretically call dell to fix this but I bet that would take at least 2 weeks and be a pain in the ass

should I just carefully try to pull the spacebar out? I don't want to break shit
>>
>have wireless router
>PC plugged in through ethernet, works
>3 mobile devices connect to the router, but get no internet
I googled around and found nothing, what do
>>
>>58606210
surely you can hear the difference, right?
>>
>>58606225
>is it safe to assume that all laptop keyboards have "removable" keys?

Absolutely not, i know from experience that at least a couple of lenovo cheap laptops keys would break if you tried to remove them.
>>
>>58606278
Well, it's difficult to do a proper ABX test of audio streams from a movie, but if i have a movie stream that does include for example a DTS-HD steam then I of course want my reciever to play the audio source of the highest possible quality.

I don't expect a massive difference between for example DTS and DTS-HD but I'd imagine there would be a slight difference at the very least.
>>
>>58606225
It's often difficult to get spacebars back in and sometimes they break. I'd try just slamming the bar.
>>
>>58606328
I've tried every "safe" thing I could. I tried pushing it in a bit, pulling it "out" a bit, blowing air in, sucking air out. it's okay for a while but when I start typing quickly again the problem comes back
>>
why is deluge better than utorrent
>>
>>58606364
What model laptop? You may be able to get a new keyboard module cheap if you'd rather void the warranty than send it in.
>>
>>58606392
free/libre and isn't adware
>>
>>58606414
Inspiron 5567. If I run out of options I might just call dell and have them fix it. they might send a guy to fix "on site" since my warranty has that option, but I also have my old laptop to fall back to just in case. still, it's a pain because the laptop is practically new.
>>
>>58606429
hm
well if that's the only reason then I'll be sticking to utorrent
I get no ads from it, probably because of hosts file
>>
do you have to know how to code to use greasemonkey
>>
>>58604399
i'm looking for something more like database where with a few clicks, i can check how many total X are in the office
>>
What could be making my CPU fan go loud sometimes? It's not only under load, sometimes when doing light stuff like browsing, suddenly the CPU fan starts to sound like a plane taking off. It's an Evo 212 by the way

I'm also getting random shutdowns while playing games, not sure if this is related
>>
is coding a talent? just like being good at drawing is a talent? yes this is a real stupid question
>>
The latest iPhone, is it the 7? Is there a small model? Or are they all huge?
>>
Should I switch from TeamSpeak3 to Discord ? My main preoccupation is privacy. I don't want anything to be stored
>>
>>58605947
help
>>
>>58604403
Literally nothing relevant is given here. What's the use of it, what kind of a data is stored, can you code SQL or do you even need a database, what's the dataload, will you store what on server and what on on invidual stations, will you have a dedicated space, will you RAID together, what's your network cap?
What are your resources?

If you can't answer these, outsource, it won't end well.
>>
My left speaker stops working like a minute or 2 after I plug it in, I had this problem with my old (logitech) set and this new one. Every time it stops working I can reconnect it from the pc and it will work again for a few more minutes.

I'd think it's the PC soundboard itself but headphones work all the time, I can even connect them to the aux on the volume controller while the left speaker isn't working and the headphones will work just fine.

Any ideas? I feel like a retard for buying logitech desu
>>
>>58606642
There's 7 and 7 Plus.
>>
>>58605416
Wat. No GPU?
>>
GOL RATMAN
>>
>>58605947
>coaxial connector says TV/DTV
>"can I connect coax TV there?"

you tell me doc.
>>
Going on deployment soon, and I wanted to buy a new device for media, probably laptop or tablet. Does anyone have any experience with this matter? Has to be small enough to fit in a bunk
>>
>>58602095
I wish your mum had felt that way about the DIY abortion she attempted.
>>
i'm looking for some cheap ass computer that will do very basic operations. i managed to get a free intel E6500 and i'm wondering what mobo and psu should i get to it
>>
>>58607076
Speaking out of experience?
>>
I'm trying to compile something with GCC/code::blocks. I'm getting an error from the linker saying something about an undefined reference to the vtable based on my constructors. Based on my research, this happens when you don't define a pure virtual function, but all of mine are defined. Can I get some more information to help me diagnose the problem? I don't really want to/can't post my code since it's thousands of lines...
>>
So, if I want to do a UEFI boot of Windows. Do all drives need to be GPT or just the boot drive?
>>
File: stats.png (35KB, 740x512px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
35KB, 740x512px
>>58601328
Is there a way to know when a hard drive is nearing or at the end of its life if there are no obvious signs of failure? My main drive will be 10 years old in a few months, it still works like a charm and Speccy shows everything is working fine (pic related) but I've seen people complain of relatively new drives dying all of a sudden if you go too hard on them, I don't do anything spectacular but I do download a lot of stuff and delete many files daily, which if I understand it correctly means I'm writing to the drive constantly.

Also what's the best software to check drive integrity?
>>
>>58607159
For some reason, defining functions in headers instead of declaring in my header files solves the issue, but then what's even the point of having a header file then? Why not just use cpp files?
>>
>>58606232
bump
>>
I was planning on grabbing a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 headphones but I don't think I have a 6.3mm socket. Will an adapter affect much?
>>
>>58607272
Also, doing so gets rid of the linker error but then my code just straight up won't compile for reasons that make much more sense to me than the linker error, so... plz help
>>
so will I have to change/do something if I move my storage hdd from old pc to new one (with complete new os)? like will it get recognized?
>>
>>58607238
first of all: zero it and see if that pending sector disappears. also attribute 01 doesn't look promising
secondly: it has 18408h behind so it's in its safest period of its lifetime, but to answer your question: nobody can tell for sure. in most cases it'll give you some warnings but sometimes it might just die. also depends on the brand
>>
>>58607425
and for any diagnosis: Victoria
>>
just installed arch .. which web browser should i install?
>>
File: Untitled12.png (16KB, 467x219px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
16KB, 467x219px
>>58601328
Can anybody tell me what this is about?

I don't have any problems with my PC that i've noticed. This message shows up every time i restart my PC.
I've had it for around a year now.
>>
>>58607528
go to msconfig.exe and check startup programs.
Or check in start menu "startup" folder.
Of if on 8/10 taskmanager startup tab.

It's a program set to startup but files have been deleted or are missing so it can't start.
>>
>>58607166
just the boot drive
>>
>>58607480
Take two minutes to install Ubuntu. It comes with Firefox as its default web browser. And then you can start work on learning something instead of working hard to learn nothing.
>>
I want to learn objective c to make my own apps, would it be wise to buy an old apple computer and practice on it?
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 692x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 692x1024px
So Linux doesn't have AutoHotKey and there aren't any similar program's that I can find, how do I setup a script so that mouse3 mashes space bar every 25ms for as long as I hold it down?
>>
>>58607617
So it's nothing serious?

I can't find anything in the "startup".
I just want the message to go away.

Also i'm not very good with PC's, so please dumb down your explaination if you think it's necessary.
>>
File: Untitled12.png (81KB, 1166x396px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
81KB, 1166x396px
>>58607750
Forgot pic
>>
File: 1273770038057.png (75KB, 455x480px) Image search: [Google]
1273770038057.png
75KB, 455x480px
Is there a decent FLOSS cross-platform music player that grabs lyrics and works with last.fm?
>>
>>58601328
How do I enable autoscrolling on Opera? I know how to do this on Firefox and Grome but am unable to find the option on Opera.
>>
File: 2017-01-19 21-54-33.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-01-19 21-54-33.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>58605845
Musicbee and Winamp. You can also reskin musicbee like foobar, search deviantart.

>>58607750
You're fucked. Google the fucking name.

>'Newnext.me nengine.dll' is a misleading pop-up error message that may occur when a PC is affected by adware and PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). The DLL file named 'nengine.dll' belongs to adware found as NewNextDotMe, Trojan_NextLive.adw, PUP.Optional.NextLive.A and Adware.NextLive.1.
>>
why won't my wireless adaptor connect to my router if i put it in 11n mode?

it connects fine in 11b and 11g. but it is noticeably slower and less stable if i use either of these

it used to work fine in 11n but something just happened and now it can't access the internet at all

it's doubly frustrating because my ipad won't connect if it's on 11b wireless mode
>>
>>58601701
Don't use Visual Basic 6.
>>
File: 1568496.jpg (345KB, 1060x944px) Image search: [Google]
1568496.jpg
345KB, 1060x944px
>>58607789
>>'Newnext.me nengine.dll' is a misleading pop-up error message that may occur when a PC is affected by adware and PUPs (potentially unwanted programs). The DLL file named 'nengine.dll' belongs to adware found as NewNextDotMe, Trojan_NextLive.adw, PUP.Optional.NextLive.A and Adware.NextLive.1.
So what the fuck do i do now?!
What does it even mean?
>>
File: 1465051686135.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1465051686135.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>58607767
>google tool bar
>using AVG
>Spotify
>Skype
>QuickTime, fucking QuickTime
>Ask TBNotifier
You're a shining example of a clueless normalfag, holy shit.

The only thing even remotely interesting:
>Eraser
>>
>>58602126
At least /v/ occasionally gets quality threads. /vp/ is the worst of /a/, /mlp/, and /v/ combined. I can't remember a single noteworthy thread from /VIP/.
>>
File: laughing pajeet.gif (553KB, 320x238px) Image search: [Google]
laughing pajeet.gif
553KB, 320x238px
>>58607818
>So what the fuck do i do now?!
install gentoo
why you have AVG and expect it to do anything is beyond me
go get ClamWin right the fuck now and do a complete colonoscopy of all your hard drives and SSDs
>>
Can I use a rooted Android to hack wi-fi?
>>
I have just bought my first house.

I'm not sure who to use as my ISP (british here). VirginMedia (actual cable), Sky, BT, other?

Anyone got some info to do with homeautomation?
>>
>>58607425
>18408h
What's 18308h?
>>
>>58606697
Sorry, this is all hypothetical, since I have 0 experience with this stuff, but it will be roughly 30% of my grade in school, so I'm just trying to get some more information.
It's just basic info, for the school server, how do I set up one for 250 users, the server has to have at least 2x8 core processors, 1GB of network connection, at least 2x300gb sas raid1, 4x400 SSD raid10 and 2x400gb SSD raid1.

For a small business you're supposed to set up a server for VMware ESXi, a NAS hard drive, for 12 workstations (2GB RAM, 500gb HDD) and 2 graphic workstations.

Thing is, you have to actually set up everything yourself, or describe the parts which would take too long (you work in groups, but I'm 5 years older than the rest). If you need any more info, you can ask.
>>
>>58608043
Talktalk, they're cheap. The rest are cunts. I'm on a £19 package( 2mb bb)which includes 200 mobile minutes and 0.5gb data.
>>
You know when you're posting albums on youtube, how do you automatically get the starting point of each track? Because I always do them manually on my premiere pro
>>
>>58607659
Sweet. Thanks m80.
>>
using gpg4usb, is there any way to encrypt folders? seems like i can only encrypt individual files.
>>
How do I figure out the distance between floating point numbers the non brainlet way?

Given that the distance between 7 and the next largest floating point number is 2^-12, what is the distance between 70 and the next largest floating point number?

The way I've done it is just saying that
7 = 111
2^-12 = 0.000000000001
So 7 + 2^-12 = 111.000000000001 which gives us 15 digits in total (probably 16 assuming we're using a signed bit)

Then
70 = 1000110
it gives us at the most 8 digits to represent the floating point portion of the number
2^-8, or 1000110.00000001

and means the distance is 0.00390625

Is there a non retarded way to do this shit? I feel like spilling everything out into binary is some real brainlet shit.
>>
Real stupid question here

Is there a way to simulate a slower CPU on my current desktop? I have an i5 and want to know just how fast/slow certain celeron and pentiums are.
>>
Hi, stupid guy here.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between Kali Linux and general gentoo?

I've got Kali with i3 on my work laptop and I'm going to an interview for the position of a social engineer. Why is Kali not considered a daily driver? Is it because of the tools it comes pre-equipped with? Something deep under the hood?
>>
File: 1443139779360.webm (2MB, 964x576px) Image search: [Google]
1443139779360.webm
2MB, 964x576px
>>58608093
>this is all hypothetical
You'll have an easier time of it if you actually got to try assembling a smaller scale of the scenario that was given to you. The best teacher has always been trial and error with hands on experience.
>>
What is a good lightweight c and c++ compiler for windows? I'm just starting with little console practice programs. Visual Studio 2015 is a huge install and seems to include a lot of extra shit, I've also read something about Cygwin(gcc) is it any good?
>>
File: 1462638296908.webm (935KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462638296908.webm
935KB, 1280x720px
>>58608412
Downclock/throttling the CPU.

>>58608434
Kali is often used for penetration testing purposes only.
>>
Is there a list of high-end hardware by year? I'd like to know what the "ideal" hardware is I could put in my old machines
>>
>>58608444
>Visual Studio 2015
Fuck that botnet.

>Cygwin
Install Python.
>>
>>58608412
Nah, you can't imitate the architecture of different CPUs. You can underclock or probably set up a VM to see effects of speed.
>>
If I put the platters of an HDD in the oven will the data be destroyed?
>>
>>58608469
But any other reason it might be discarded as a daily driver? It's just like Ubuntu or Debian in all other aspects.

Also, I sniff out people's wifi passwords in my free time.
>>
>>58601848
Can't you see the niglet in the background
>>
File: PC and Dreamcast.png (660KB, 600x4500px) Image search: [Google]
PC and Dreamcast.png
660KB, 600x4500px
>>58608585
>I sniff out people's wifi passwords in my free time.
Find any interesting passwords? The DNC hack was a hilarious insight into the minds of government drones.
>>
Do those external drives you can buy at Costco or Office Depot make for a good backup solution?
>>
File: 1454207777473.gif (95KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
1454207777473.gif
95KB, 500x384px
>>58608579
only if you bake hotpockets and tendies on it
>>
>>58608495
Thanks, I'll try it out but they also recommend using Microsoft c++ compiler? I don't know what all this pip and wheel package stuff is but I'll figure it out.
>>
>>58608436
Why? I have an easier time understanding if I just read about it, plus, I don't have the money or time to make a small server for myself.
>>
File: 138556341876.jpg (95KB, 970x990px) Image search: [Google]
138556341876.jpg
95KB, 970x990px
>Scan your computer with anti-malware software

What is /g/'s recommended anti-malware software?

And while we're on the anti topic, which antivirus software is /g/'s recommended?
>>
File: this is a linux desktop.webm (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
this is a linux desktop.webm
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>58608681
So you have a competitive edge. You're not in school for the marks but to land yourself a job, no?
Understanding with the mind is one thing, but when you physically do something, you will understand better. It's just like assembling a PC for the first time, you learn things you wouldn't have otherwise.
Make time and money for it so you get a competitive edge over everyone else.
>>
>>58608242
Ok, nvm this question. I'll use EAC
>>
Is there a way to change my MAC Address on my Samsung Galaxy S6 Active (Android 6.0.1,AT&T) without rooting...

And if root is needed, where can I find a root for my phone. I looked everywhere but none support Android 6.x
AB
>>
>>58608724
Common Sense 2002 Long Term Support Branch
>>
>>58608769
Don't be a dick anon.
>>
File: IMG_20170123_102337.jpg (3MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_102337.jpg
3MB, 4208x3120px
I'm trying to format this SSD before I sell it on ebay but I only have this laptop running off a Ubuntu live USB to do it with. I get this message. Did the format not work? What's wrong? Neither slow nor fast formatting works.
>>
>>58608724
MSE it just works
>>
>>58607730
She's so ugly
>>
>>58608730
I'm in school for the diploma to get into an interview, so yeah, you're right. But if I don't pass this course, it will make my education last an extra year, since the school has an agreement with a company to let us into their company and set up servers. Of course the ideal thing would be for me, if I'd already worked with servers, but I didn't, so I need to read up on stuff before the "exam", otherwise I will have to repeat it next year.
>>
>>58608799
Using gparted?
>>
Has Donald Trump been a good president so far?
>>
>>58608873
Come back in 98 days
>>
File: qbittorrent.webm (647KB, 1071x778px) Image search: [Google]
qbittorrent.webm
647KB, 1071x778px
>>58608794
Not fucking kidding. Haven't used an antivirus on a windows machine since 2002.
If you really want an antivirus scanner, just go with ClamWin.
The best protection is threat mitigation. The biggest attack surfaces for clueless normals on desktops is not your downloads but your web browser and operating system, so harden those the fuck up.
>>
>>58608724
/g/ doesn't have a consensus. For one thing it changes every year. MSE has had horrible detection rates for a few years now. You could run avast or comodo with an occasional malwarebytes scan. For "just werks", go bitdefender
>>
Is it still practical to have my house lit by gas lamps in this day and age? I've always liked the look of them but everything is electric now
>>
>>58608897
>malwarebytes
Has gone premium with their more useful shit, if you're averse to pirating it's no good anymore.
>>
>>58608905
Well, you'd need to have pipes run to supply your lights if you don't have them set up already. I can imagine that could get pretty expensive. The cost would probably be higher than electrical lights, but I don't think it would be prohibitively so or anything, bigger issue would be getting it all set up to start.
>>
>>58608933
It's been that way for like 10 years. Most people never use active protection with it, they just use it as a secondary
>>
>>58608870
Ah I was using the crappy Ubuntu disks tool not gparted. All good now.
>>
File: 147310482.png (351KB, 618x639px) Image search: [Google]
147310482.png
351KB, 618x639px
>>58608880
>just go with ClamWin
This is probably a REALLY stupid question but... Can you scan for malware with it?

pls no bully
>>
>>58609020
That's the only thing it can do.
>>
Are cheap Transcend mSATA SSDs decent?
>>
Can you run 2 different antiviruses at the same time?

Do i have to delete AVG for example if i want to use Avast?
>>
>>58609066
You shouldn't. It will severely affect performance to have two monitoring your system at the same time, and they can interfere with each other. And there's not much reason to
>>
>>58609066
It's not recommended. They can interfere with eachother, some wont install if they detect other AVs currentlly installed. Some kinds of av are designed specifically to play well with others
>>
>>58609103
Thank you
>>
>>58609020
It's an antivirus. Some viruses work by packaging themselves in malignant software, so yes.
>>
File: 1482895652909.jpg (190KB, 621x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1482895652909.jpg
190KB, 621x1000px
>>58609027
O-oh..
So are anti-virus and anti-malware not mutually exclusive?

AVG is also an anti-malware software?
>>
>>58609145
You shouldn't be going places where you can get malware to begin with if you don't know how to block malware from ever impinging your PC.
Run javascript on a case-by-case basis per website as in turn it off by default, and kill flash extension in browser. Killing ads from ever loading or popping up also helps.
>>
Why in the fuck is Chrome reporting every Google site as not secure for me? Says SHA-1 certificates are expiring.
>>
>>58609218
They are.
>>
is there any downside to having an overpowered PSU?
>>
>>58609251
Your wallet, that's about it. Frankly prefer to have a beefy PSU than a manlet PSU.
>>
>>58609145
Not mutually, no. Virus is a subset of malware. For a while spyware was considered a new category from virus, but AVs have mostly integrated them now.
>>
>installed debian with no GPU in because GPU makes it freeze (970)
>it boots with BIOS set to choose integrated
>Boot into debian with it plugged in and install drivers https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
>Reboot, cinnamon crash
>Turn it to the PCI port again in BIOS
>Select debian in grub and eventually get black screen after "loading please wait" for three seconds
My 970 still works in windows
>>
>>58609273
desu its on a fantastic sale
>>
>>58608242
>>58608743
fuck me it only works with cd's, still need help desu
>>
>>58609323
GET IT GET IT GET IT
>>
>>58609298
Actually I think I figured the problem. I never got around to using NVIDIA-XCONFIG because I couldn't find the package, even in Jessie backports. How do you get the package ? Apt can't find it and I added the backports repo
>>
>>58608730
>>58608838
>>58608093
So, any help?
>>
>>58609392
find the networking general thread
>>
>>58609280
Damn. Learn something new every day, thanks.

People here seems to shit on AVG. Do they exaggerate or is it bad?
And does AVG work as anti-malware? Does it find malware in scans for example?
>>
>>58609399
Pretty sure there isn't one, so I asked here.
>>
>>58609410
AVG is too intrusive with its other services, and uninstalling it can be a pain in the ass

>>58609450
friendly linux thread
>>
one of my hdd has load/unload cycle 570 000 while the other being only year younger has same value on 3200
is there something seriously wrong with the first one?
>>
File: = j.gif (372KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
= j.gif
372KB, 480x360px
So I'm trying to work on this one python (I know, I know) comment-reader for reddit (I know, I know) and I need to match "TRUMP" or any case-insensitive version of it (ie TrUmP)

I'm planning on using regular expressions, and I think I got one that works, but is there a better way to do this?
(t|T)(r|R)(u|U)(m|M)(p|P)
//It's a mystery!
>>
>>58609526
/trump/i
>>
Is it possible to make an MD5 filter or whatever that can filter all Pepes? Every post I see with a memefrog manages to be the most retarded shit.
>>
File: 1472972357413.jpg (37KB, 313x313px) Image search: [Google]
1472972357413.jpg
37KB, 313x313px
Holy crap, i think i might've fixed this >>58607528 which was some trojan shit or something.

I just restarted my PC after deleting stuff using "Autoruns for Windows" and the message is gone, and ClamWin can't find anything suspicious in a scan.

Does that mean i most likely fixed it?
>>
File: Template.jpg (29KB, 1082x498px) Image search: [Google]
Template.jpg
29KB, 1082x498px
this really stupid question how can i post like this in /g/?
>>
>>58609709
text here[./code]

without the dot
>>
>>58609709
The fuck are you talking about?

?
>>
>>58609709

>>
>>58609700
Anon run Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
And check your startup list.

You just stopped it from starting every time you started your PC, the malware is still there around.
>>
i hope this is not a joke[/code]
>>
>>58609758
there's a [.code] at the beginning, it's in the rules also
>>
>>58609758
i hope this is not a joke
>>
>>58609758
You missed the starting BBCode.

Its
""

Read the rules.
>>
>>58609758
[.code]try again[./code]
>>
My pcie clip refuses to go down and lock in my GPU after I just took it out
I don't really want to use a lot of force but it just won't clip in
>>
>>58609709
escaped from noob
>>
>>58609709
RTFM
>>
>>58609747
>Anon run Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner
Do i have to delete something else, like ClamWin for example?
Or do they co-operate?
>>
>>58609813
Yes.

Adwcleaner is for another thing.
>>
>>58601328
Papi a cute!

Post more papi
>>
>>58609731
>>58609732
>>58609741
>>58609779
>>58609780
>>58609805
figured it our
>>
>>58609827
>Yes.
To which question?
>>
>>58609837
what is intdresting
is that it stacks
>>
>>58609858
>>58609837
the effect can be beautifully seen using the Tommorow theme
>>
>>58609620
4chanX filters.

The problem is filtering all of them since multiple posters will have the same image with different MD5 because either jpg compression or other shit.
One good thing is once you filter them once you filter a shitposter that uses them often for a long time.

>>58609853
First one.
You deleted the startup file, but the malware or whatever caused it is still in your PC.
Also that you stopped it from starting doesn't mean your PC is clean.
>>
I think I broke my pciex16 port
Is 4X going to bottleneck my 970 or affect my setup negatively at all?
>>
>>58609901
>You deleted the startup file, but the malware or whatever caused it is still in your PC.
>Also that you stopped it from starting doesn't mean your PC is clean.

God fucking damn it!

Can i just save my pictures, videogame saves and screenshots on an external harddrive, nuke the PC and start over?
>>
>>58609998
Or just run Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner.
That will be enough.
>>
File: integrall.jpg (265KB, 1922x1040px) Image search: [Google]
integrall.jpg
265KB, 1922x1040px
can anyone help a retard understand how they're getting this 2/6?

how are they getting 2/6 from 2x * du/6x ? that isnt how multiplication works?
>>
>>58610008
>>>/sci/
>>
>>58610020
my question is way too dumb for /sci/
>>
>>58609998
Its just malware-adware not fucking ransomware or compromised windows partition.
>>
File: 12356585.jpg (22KB, 840x405px) Image search: [Google]
12356585.jpg
22KB, 840x405px
>>58610005
>>58610034
Right then.. 2 questions

Do i need to disable anything other than my antivirus when i run these things?

Does Malwarebytes act as an antivirus, and i don't need to re-enable my antivirus once i'm done?
>>
>>58610051
>Do i need to disable anything other than my antivirus when i run these things?
No.

>>58610051
>Does Malwarebytes act as an antivirus, and i don't need to re-enable my antivirus once i'm done?
Yes, Malwarebytes doesn't mind other antivirus running along with it.
>>
How long would it take me to become a decent programmer if I dedicate 6-8 hours to read and program per day?
>>
>>58610080
6-8 hours a day is pretty unreasonable, but if you can do it without goofing off...maybe 2 months to become really proficient in a language.

as someone with a CS degree i think, for me atleast, i didnt really feel comfortable with programming until i had a lot of longterm memory built up. now i can fire off hello world programs in a bunch of languages without even thinking very hard. you can be a good programmer and still use resources to look up how to start your programs, but the ingrained memory takes some time
>>
File: 20170122_165904.jpg (741KB, 1539x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_165904.jpg
741KB, 1539x1440px
>>58610008
I don't try to isolate the dx. Just find patterns and see where shit fits.
>>
File: Untitled12.png (199KB, 1904x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
199KB, 1904x1038px
>>58610070
Are you pulling my leg anon?

291 THREATS?!? HOW?
Do i just get rid of all of these?
>>
what's wrong with this script
i want to make a quick script to update all the git clones in a directory

#!/bin/bash
for i in $(find . -maxdepth 1);
cd i;
git pull;
cd ..;
end
>>
>>58610195
Malwarebytes should get rid of them.
Looks like the malware was installing adware but it Malwarebytes should get rid of it.
This is why i told you to run Adwcleaner to.

Looks like your common USB spread malware, nothing to worry about.
>>
File: 1385563418767.jpg (27KB, 343x353px) Image search: [Google]
1385563418767.jpg
27KB, 343x353px
>>58610227
>Malwarebytes should get rid of them.
Do i just quarantine them?

>This is why i told you to run Adwcleaner to.
So now i run Adwcleaner, and then scan again?

>Looks like your common USB spread malware
Wait hold up, you're telling me i got this shit through a USB port?
>>
>>58610270
Yes.
Yes.

Probably, this is just an adware installer, nothing too dangerous.
You could have got it trough multiple ways, shady installer, email, etc.

Just delete the stuff and dont worry.
>>
>>58610223
edited it a bit, now it's this. at least the for loop doesn't error now, but it errors on line 4 trying to enter a directory called 'i'
#!/bin/bash -x
do
cd i;
git pull;
cd ..;
done
>>
>>58610344
wait. fixed it. feel like a retard tho

#!/bin/bash -x
do
cd $i;
git pull;
cd ~/git-projects/clones/;
done
>>
File: Untitled12.png (33KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
33KB, 500x309px
>>58610301
Is it done?
Is my PC now clean?
>>
>>58601393
dhclient
>>
>>58610413
Run Adwcleaner and if you could post your startup list, try using CCleaner to check it.
>>
>>58610388
is there some way i can keep it from trying to enter the script itself as a directory?
or keep it from trying to enter '.'
both lead to pointless errors that don't do anything
>>
When I do backups to my secondary HHD, everything like web browsing is slow as shit but I have an SSD as the primary/boot. It's not a CPU issue.
>>
>>58610444
Why dont you try /dpt/?
>>
>>58610460
will do
>>
File: Untitled12.png (183KB, 648x1409px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
183KB, 648x1409px
>>58610422
>try using CCleaner to check it
Not sure what you mean by this
>>
File: Startup List.png (74KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Startup List.png
74KB, 1366x768px
>>58610500
>Google Toolbar
>Quicktime
Really? well its not adware.

I meant this.

Your PC seems clean unless you see something shady from looking the startup list.
>>
>>58610413
maybe, maybe not
the only way to be sure is to nuke it from orbit
>>
>>58610388
#!/bin/bash

find . -type d -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 | while read -r p; do
(cd "$p"; git pull)
done

Or in less code:
#!/bin/bash

for p in *; do
[[ -d "$p" ]] && (cd "$p"; git pull)
done
>>
File: Untitled12.png (114KB, 1569x600px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled12.png
114KB, 1569x600px
>>58610534
>>Google Toolbar
>>Quicktime
>Really? well its not adware.
Don't ask, i don't know how i got it.

>unless you see something shady
I don't know what would be considered shady. Do you see anything shady here?
>>
between 'windows' and 'windows.old' which one can I delete and the system wont notice?
>>
>>58610582
Looks clean, you have nothing to worry about now.

>>58610592
Windows.old was your last windows install files(Including Documents and Desktop files)
If you dont need anything from it just delete it.
>>
>>58610582
Google, Spotify, and Skype
>>
>>58610388
>>58610579

Or just use find alone.

find . -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d -exec git -C '{}' pull \;
>>
>>58610579
cool
thanks a lot m8
>>
File: 1361374530188.png (336KB, 500x399px) Image search: [Google]
1361374530188.png
336KB, 500x399px
>>58610619
>Looks clean, you have nothing to worry about now.
Holy shit man, i can't thank you enough. You have saved me hours, perhaps even days of headache.

Really, thank you so much for tolerating my ineptitude, sincerely.
>>
>>58610668
No problem, this is the /sqt/ for something.

Also watch out what your family members(or you) plug in your computer.
>>
File: 1568489513.png (284KB, 793x431px) Image search: [Google]
1568489513.png
284KB, 793x431px
>>58610687
>Also watch out what your family members(or you) plug in your computer.
Will do, man. Will most certainly do.
>>
>>58609145
"malware" is just a contraction of "MALicious softWARE"
it encompasses all kinds of malicious software, including rootkits, viruses, trojans, etc

though this doesn't necessarily mean an anti-malware program supports finding/cleaning all kinds of malware
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (8KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
2Q==.jpg
8KB, 181x279px
What's /g/'s choice of energy drink? I don't drink them all the time, but they're helpful when I have a busy week. I like Java Monster since it doesn't taste like cough syrup but it's really hard to find outside of Amazon or my campus's market.
>>
>>58610725
my favourite is V black, but they don't seem to sell it anymore where i live
>>
>>58609410
AVG is just "average".

AVG problem is that it has lots of stuff you dont need(Mostly intrusive and bloated).

Malwarebytes 2.0 is what most people recommend because its good and effective, 3.0 is good but more "User friendly" instead of simple which is what pretty much everyone here looks for.
>>
File: never love.png (973KB, 1275x713px) Image search: [Google]
never love.png
973KB, 1275x713px
>>58610725
i drink coffee because im not a fucking faggot?

energy drinks are like 2+ bucks each arent they? jesus christ dude, learn to make a cup of coffee and save billions per year
>>
HOW DO I ENABLE AUTOSCROLL ON OPERA
>>
File: asd.png (65KB, 651x193px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
65KB, 651x193px
Not a CS major, am wondering how to proceed with how to output the turning points in this equation.
>>
>>58611033
matlab isnt CS at all, it's mostly used by stats majors
>>
>>58601328
I am building my father a computer.
Cant decide between an ssd sata or m.2. I heard that Windows is difficult to install, is this dated worries?

Can I select the m.2 when installing windows 10 from a usb? All new parts. Kaby, h270 board, etc
>>
>>58611142
SATA SSD should be enough.
Yes, that goes for old Z97 motherboards with problems with the old 6Gb/s M2 port.
>>
>>58610947
But I do make coffee. I drink 16-32 fluid ounces of it every day. Sometimes I need something more concentrated.
>>
>>58611197
thought so, the m.2 just looked appealling due to its simplicity and similar prices to sata at 250gb (samsung, intel)
>>
>>58610725
mean bean is mine and it is at almost every convenience store/grocery
>>
>>58611240
M2 SATA and M2 NVMe are really different.

M2 SATA is literally a SATA SSD with no difference.

Windows 7 works with Kaby lake, why not just use that?

Why a H270 motherboard? what is he going to do on that computer?
>>
>>58611219
But they're not "more concentrated". Energy drinks are caffeine and sugar. Everything else is 98% BS, and energy drinks have about the same amount of caffeine as coffee. Some coffee has way more caffeine. If you want something more concentrated, just use caffeine pills. They're cheap as shit.
>>
>>58611255
Just trying to remove any possible issues with mobo/7th intel compatibility.

He uses it for office work, streaming, and file management. He wants something "new", quick, and small.

>i3 7100
>h270m
>ssd
>2x4gb ram
>>
>>58611341
Well then a B250m should do, no need for a H270.

There are no problems with it other than you have to add USB 3.0 drivers and change motherboard SATA mode from AHCI to IDE.
>>
>>58611108
It's being used in my engineering course. Can you give any pointers?
>>
>>58611370
Why would you have to change to IDE? That seems really backwards
>>
>>58611380
AHCI and Windows 7 dont get along.

And AHCI is used by Windows 8.1 and 10 so its usually on by default.
>>
>>58611370
Would you still recommend the sata ssd over using the "ultra" m.2 slot on most of these newer boards?
>>
>>58611409
Which SSD do you have in mind?

SATA SSDs are already overkill for office use.
NVMe SSDs are even overkill for heavy use.

Just get him a 850 EVO/PRO.
>>
>>58611421
Intel SSD 600p
Unless there are some other brands that are reliable (both sata ssd and m.2). I purchased a kingston ssd a few months back and it was doa.
>>
>>58611445
Kingston is one of the worst brands for SSDs, PNY being the worst.

Samsung 850 EVO is one of the most reliable considered a safe buy.
EVO and PRO differences are the kind of memory it uses.
It wont be faster but will last more (EVO is good enough to last more than 6 years already).

Intel SSDs are overpriced but they are good enough.

Doubt your dad needs something better than a SATA SSD if all he is going to do is use his computer for office needs.
>>
On a dual boot Win 7 with linux. I screwed up my Boot in Windows somehow: error is

BOOTMGR is Missing Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

If I use the Windows recovery tool, with that screw up my dual boot? I need to be able to access my Arch partition
>>
my laptop lenovo ideapad Y-580 was pretty beastly when i bought it 2011/12
win 8
i7 3630
nvidia 660m
6gb ram
750gb hdd

i have upgraded it over the years as parts become less costly
win 10
1tb hdd
256gb ssd on mSATA
16gb RAM
just replaced the screen i broke

so i have a fairly decent workstation to say the least.

and i was just experimenting with remix OS
installed it on a 64gb usb 3.0 thumb drive

my thinking was: this x86 android port should be blazing fast on my hardware.

alas, it's just slow, even slower than some $50 tablet from RCA.
it shows i am uses the quad core i7 and that i have 16gb of RAM and enough space to save any apps and media i could desire.

but why?
>WHY is it so SLOW despite the hardware being so much better than the minimum it requires to run at all?
>>
File: a.jpg (14KB, 236x333px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
14KB, 236x333px
Could someone with linux please cross-compile this rad game for windows-users like myself and upload it somewhere? No one gives a fuck in /vg/, even where you'd expect someone would, and /v/ is out of the question. Please. I love you long time. This isn't really a question, more like a request, but I figured if someone have linux and wasn't a complete cunt, it'd be someone here.
>>
>>58611518
I should perhaps add that my bootloader is Grub
>>
>>58611547
It might help to give you the link for the damn thing.
https://github.com/martin-tornqvist/ia
>>
>>58611540
Compatibility problems.

Also
>W8 to 10
Not sure if that counts as upgrade of how bad it is.

Why RemixOS out everything that exists?

>>58611554
You fucked up the boot partition.
But how?

And probably but you could fix it with a bootable USB.
>>
>>58611393
AHCI was going strong back in Vista and is the preferred mode for SSDs. The main thing is not to try changing the bios setting after windows has installed unless you're willing to tangle with the registry.
>>
Q: why did the cowboy have shit on his mustache?
A: at 0:47 https://youtu.be/1MnU6p3sGSw?t=47s
>>
I can't get my surround sound to work in Ubuntu 16.04. I've fucked around in alsamixer and the pulse configs, but no luck. Windows 10 my headphones did 4.1 surround sound perfectly fine

>inb4 Turttlebeach
I was dumb, and I'm too poor to buy a new headset
>>
>>58611540
Don't expect android ports to work snappily on hardware ports they weren't intended for. You might like to try neverwhere
>>
>>58611610
win8 -> win10 was wonderful for me
but that has nothing to do with booting remix OS from USB

why remix os? because it was mentioned in an official android programming book. what other x86 or 64 bit intel ports of android are better, didn't know any others existed?

and can you be more clear about:
>comparability problems?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170122-215443.png (223KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170122-215443.png
223KB, 768x1024px
Is this a good deal? Want to stick it into a Lenovo T420. I'm getting by with only 4GB of ram, but more would be nice.

I've been on the fence about a new laptop though. I do VM work. Would the jump from sata2/usb2.0/ddr3 to sata3/m.2/ddr4 be a big jump foward?

I haven't been in the laptop game for a while and seeing as how ddr3 is being phased out, is it worth bothering upgrading an old laptop like the T420?
>>
>>58611657
>neverwhere
???
just googled and all i get is novel results
>>
>>58611670
>>comparability problems?
Compatibility*
>>
>>58611675
yes
>>
What is a good 64 bit open source bittorrent client?
>>
>>58611712
for windows*
>>
>>58611698
Spelled it wrong, although that is a good book.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload/

Don't expect android ports to work as well on hardware the OS wasn't designed for, even if it happens to be a similar instruction set.
>>
>>58611675
Yes talking about is shady ram.
And yes to multiple of your questions.

"Acceptable" RAM is $74 for the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-Channel-DDR3-1600-SO-DIMM-1600MHz/dp/B01MU77S91/

Meanwhile people like the T420 for how comfortable it is to use it, not exactly for its power.

If you need more power a newer high end laptop is your solution, but expect to pay $850+.
>>
>>58611476
Thanks for the help.

I think im gonna switch out the 7100 for a g4620 as well. Save him a few extra bucks
>>
File: Torrent Guide 1.1.png (1MB, 1500x2670px) Image search: [Google]
Torrent Guide 1.1.png
1MB, 1500x2670px
>>58611712
Bit size wouldn't matter much with torrent clients.
>>
New Thread

>>58611684
>>58611684
>>58611684
>>58611684
>>
>>58611723
QT-transmission or Deluge.

>>58611751
Sounds like a good idea since all he will do is office work.
He doesnt need anything powerful and a Kaby lake Pentium should be more than enough for his needs.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170122-222122.png (182KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170122-222122.png
182KB, 768x1024px
>>58611744
>>58611705
OK thanks for the input. Looking at picture related. Figure I can toss another 8GB stick into it.
>inb4 gaming
This one is the cheapest option to get an 8 thread i7, fhd screen, ddr4 (instead of the ever popular ddr3L), USB 3.1, and the cooling capability to prevent itself fro, going nuclear when I have VMs running. The 960m in included is nice for Cuda acceleration if need be.

What does /g/ think? Stupid Fucking dragon logo aside, this seems a decent deal.
>>
>>58611982
That's a well gimped card, but at $700 that's not a bad deal.
>>
>>58612082
For what he is going to use it for i guess its not a problem.
>>
>>58605781
New PSU
>>
I have a dick load of money I'm trying to get top of the line laptop (I already have a custom built pc) advice plox?
Thread posts: 409
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.