[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 369
Thread images: 37

File: 1463245450537.gif (700KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1463245450537.gif
700KB, 480x270px
Previous: >>58574952

Any questions that don't need their own thread can be asked here.
Use the catalog first and don't forget to google/duck it.
>>
I printed some web pages to PDF and there's the date and url written on every page. Is it possible to remove them from all pages with a script? I didn't know this was a browser-dependent thing.
>>
How do I use grep to exclude patterns in standard output from find rather than in the files themselves?

Basically I want to stop every "Permission denied" line from getting outputted.
>>
What is the actual address used to ssh into remote computers called?

When using ipconfig/ifconfig, several come up. IPv4, inet, inet6, public address, local address etc.

What are the differences?
>>
File: nf-a9-pwm-large.jpg (422KB, 2501x2960px) Image search: [Google]
nf-a9-pwm-large.jpg
422KB, 2501x2960px
Should I replace all my case fans with Noctuas? It would be 2 x 92mm and 1 x 140mm. Included fans are pretty quiet and they have no problem cooling my computer, but I want it to be dead silent.
>>
What is the /g/ approved web browser?
>>
>>58584001
That ain't standard output, that's stderr. You'll simply want to use 2>/dev/null to supress error messages. Alternatively, 2>&1 then pipe to grep.
>>
>>58584114
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Web_browsers
>>
Thanks guy who posted 'Sudo apt-get install dialog' in last thread that fixed it :^)
>>
So, my cousin give me a iMac 5G, should I install ubuntu or just drop this shit to the trash?
>>
>>58583988
Found a way: http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/
I can just crop all pages of the PDF file.
>>
>>58584169
>256MB RAM
>ubuntu
No way in hell that is gonna work. If you actually want to use it for some reason, you're going to have to find something way more lightweight than Ubuntu... that also has PowerPC support... I don't really have any real distro recommendation for you since PowerPC is largely abandoned now. Try Debian, maybe?
>>
File: disks.png (24KB, 1260x207px) Image search: [Google]
disks.png
24KB, 1260x207px
I got this old HDD /g/. It come from an old laptop of mine which died 4yrs ago from mobo trauma whilst I think it was writing data with a PVR running.
With picture provided I have it hooked up in and ext HDD box. The (G:) Partition is where the data that I want to recover is. In diskmgmt G comes up as a RAW partition. But when using testdisk_win it shows it as a RAW partition whilst photorec_win shows it as an NTFS partition.

Can I put this in a PC and boot it into windows? Would I need a Win image to perform recovery?
If not, am I safe to try and recovery whatever I need from this partition?
>fyi I've not done anything like this before
>>
My HDD is busted

I'm planning on getting an SSD this time around for my OS.

Anything I should know before doing this?

and is replacing a hard drive as easy as it was installing it?
>>
So is a Btrfs subvolume essentially a mountable directory?
>>
>>58584258
pretty much
>>
>>58584220
He didn't say how much RAM his has. Depending on the model it can be maxed at 2GiB to 2.5GiB

>>58584169
Dualboot Mac OS X Tiger and OpenBSD, configure Classic in Tiger.
>>
>>58584102
>but I want it to be dead silent.
acoustic padding/sound canceling foam of some kind you can stick in your case
>>
Is there a chart or list of the best Android apps for various things? E.g. music player, launcher, pdf reader...
>>
>>58584325
who is this hug bug
>>
>>58584331

Yakui, an old mascot for 420chan
>>
Just found out about mozilla rebranding itself. Does it mean anything concretely, or is it just a desperate "W-We're still relevant, guise! Bazinga!" attempt?
>>
File: underlines.png (69KB, 1128x383px) Image search: [Google]
underlines.png
69KB, 1128x383px
Why I can't remove underlines in Firefox? I activated it once and now it's permanent, I can't turn it off anymore (already tried restarting the browser and cleaning the caches).
There're underlines everywhere.
>>
I have a chromecast and an old dell monitor that has a VGA and DVI-D input

Can either of these receive audio from HDMI-adapter? Getting useless mixed messages on abandoned threads.
>>
Is 4 years of daily use enough time for a HDD to start failing? I tried installing a game on steam but I got an error which directed me to do an error check on my HDD which has been going on for a few hours. Worth getting a new one now before it dies?
>>
Is there an up to date place that lists all the sites I need to block to block or at slow down the telemetry on win10 with my hosts file? I know I can just switch to linux but I don't know if my laptop would still work
>>
>>58584421
I know DVI is compatible with HDMI video but I don't know about audio. If anything you can pick up a little HDMI DAC, I didn't look too hard but I saw ones as cheap as ~$35
>>
>>58584102
Noctua are surprisingly quiet
>>
Whats the point of a callback? Based on this definition

>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/824234/what-is-a-callback-function

It seems like its just a method of ensuring another function is called at the end of a prior function. But arent there much simpler ways of doing that? whats the advantage of passing the second function as an argument to the first?
>>
>>58584448
Yes. 3-5 years is the dying point, if it doesn't die after that, you've got a drive that probably won't die. Get a new drive (pref. SSD) and clone to it.

>>58584250
>Anything I should know before doing this?
>and is replacing a hard drive as easy as it was installing it?
>>58584250
Yes, replacing HDD w/ SSD is just as easy as installing. You don't really need to know much. You can clone your current HDD to SSD if it's big enough.

>>58584015
ipv4/6 is the internet address. This is like the address on your house, but for your computer. However, if you're on a LAN/WLAN, your IP will only be for the LAN (e.g. 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x,) and your router will have the 'real' outside IP.
>>
>>58584505
So, the whole point of a callback is exactly what you said: ensuring another function is called at the end. They're mostly useful in asynchronous (non-blocking) programming.

For example:

Non-callback, synchronous:
sleep(1); //waits a second
foo(); //calls foo

Callback, asynchronous:
sleep(1, foo()); //sleeps for 1s, calls foo

Non-callback, asynchronous:
sleep(1); //'sleeps', doesn't do anything really, since no callback.
foo(); //executed immediately, no sleep.

So, for a practical, real world example, say you're coding something in javascript:

loadPage(); //takes some time (500ms?)
alert("Done loading!"); //executes instantly, since JS is asynchronous by design

In order to do what you want, you have to do something like this:
loadPage(myAlertDoneFunction); //loads page, then calls alert(...).

This ensures that alert will ONLY be called at the END of the loadPage function, and not WHILE the page is loading. Hope that makes sense.
>>
windowed slideshow
annoying when they're fullscreen and i want to still do things
>>
>>58584561
tl;dr it's basically how to do synchronous (blocking) programming in an asynchronous (nonblocknig) language.

>>58584569
What the actual fuck?
>>
>>58584574
family. There's no windowed slideshow image viewers
>>
>>58584561
Not that guy but neat, learned something new
>>
>>58584584
Was kind of a challenge to explain, but tutoring experience helps. Love a challenge.
>>
>>58584102
Passively cool your PC. Only way for it to be completely silent.

>>58584421
No. HDMI was specifically designed because DVI doesn't include audio.

>>58584464
There's thousands of such lists, you clearly didn't search well enough.
>>
>>58584421
maybe, HDMI signals can be run over a DVI connector, but it requires special support for anything but the video
>>
>>58583956
I have a Nexus 6p. What do I need (cable or adaptor) to be able to output it's display to a computer monitor?
>>
>>58584674
Research using chromecast on smartphone.
>>
So I just upgraded to Debian Stretch and the display manager starts but I just get kicked back to gdm when I login and it tries to load GNOME, any suggestions?
>>
>>58584561
Thanks for the response anon. I'm just starting to learn C. Just to clarify, I always assumed that if you call a function in C and then another function immediately after (like the Non-callback, synchronous example) it always only triggers the second function when finished with the first. Is that wrong? Can I actually call a function I wrote and then have the program continue along past it while the function is still in the middle of running?
>>
What's a decent 13-14 inch lappy to purchase for ~1000 american dollarydoos or under?
>>
couple of things from a first time build:
1. MAY have bent some pins on the mobo' processor port. I assume i can straighten these myself instead of sending it in to be replaced.
2. does the case's integral fans need to be hooked up to the mobo, or just power?
3. what if the case's chord doesn't reach the mobo? two or three inches off.

did read the sticky and the manuals, just am making first time errors.
>>
>>58584695
>american dollarydoos
wat
>>
>>58584704
like australian dollarydoos but they have trump's face on them
>>
>>58584684
I was hoping for a physical solution for security reasons (don't want my phone connected to my workstation).
>>
>>58584699
>1. MAY have bent some pins on the mobo' processor port. I assume i can straighten these myself instead of sending it in to be replaced.
if you're careful, which you aren't since you managed to bend them in the first place
>2. does the case's integral fans need to be hooked up to the mobo, or just power?
just power is fine, you'll only be missing out on software fan speed readings and control
>3. what if the case's chord doesn't reach the mobo? two or three inches off.
i have not personally come across a mobo/case combination where this has happened, are you sure they aren't just cable tied or something?
>>
>>58584690
>if you call a function in C and then another function immediately after (like the Non-callback, synchronous example) it always only triggers the second function when finished with the first.
Correct.

>Can I actually call a function I wrote and then have the program continue along past it while the function is still in the middle of running?
2 methods: multithreading or efficient programming.

Multithreading:
startThread(foo);
startThread(bar);
sleep(9999);
//foo, bar, both running at same time.

Smart programming:
Say you have to sort an array.

while(notsorted(array1) and notsorted(array2)) {
sort(array1); //sort a small amount of elements -- not the whole array.
sort(array2); //^
}

The 2nd example is similar to multitasking (i.e., how you can play 2 videos at once on your computer.) Truly, only one sort is happening at a time. However, since the functions are small and quick, it seems like they are both occurring at once.

>>58584695
Search for /tpg/

>>58584714
Don't know what to tell you, sorry.
>>
>>58584723
about positive, I can peer in again but I was really fiddling with it before. Needing to be plugged into the power and mobo is gonna be tricky.
Also taking the mobo out is gonna be fun.
How will i know if i'm forcing the processor in, it seems like there'd be no way to tell when everything is so tiny.
>>
>>58584690
>>58584741

Also, I should note, if you're doing multithreading (1st ex) in C, you'll want to be careful about race conditions. Essentially, if you have something like:

int x = 0;
createThread(intenseMath(x));
createThread(intenseMath(x));

You'll run into a race condition. This is because you have a multicore CPU. In laymans terms, since both CPUs are accessing 'x' at the same time, the number will become a random value.

Why? I don't actually know, but I'm assuming it has to do with circuitry. Both CPUs try to access the same RAM cell, which ends up creating some form of electrical short (direct connection between CPUs via memory lanes,) which ends up storing a random value in x.
>>
>>58584763
Oh, and to avoid this, you'll want to use unlocking and locking, or use another variable (y; preferred.)

locking/unlocking is vital to safe multithreading, however there are limitations (deadlock, etc.)
>>
>>58584761
i haven't installed any modern intel cpus, but i assumed they're the same as amd ones in that the cpu should just drop into the slot with zero force

it will also be keyed so it only drop in completely by itself in one orientation
>>
File: js.png (15KB, 1366x204px) Image search: [Google]
js.png
15KB, 1366x204px
Some addon is creating this code to force underlines (socialwidgets.css is unrelated, created by privacy badger). How do I find what addon is doing this?
Debugger and console show nothing, completely empty (tested in about:blank).
>>
>>58584777
sweet. I guess trying to fix the mobo is a priority, though when i plugged in the power source and tried to power on nothing happened. prolly wired the on button wrong.
>>
>>58584795
disable 1 at a time
>>
>been using tightvnc and x11vnc to connect my windows pc to my linux laptop for months because I'm a lazy shit
>suddenly not working
>will sometimes connect but get some "socket" failure
>can't even get it to connect at all
Why?! Nothing has changed, to my knowledge. What are some things I should check for? I think it's x11 that's causing the issue.
>>
>>58584797
it won't do anything without a cpu installed
>>
>>58584815
not even run the integral fans? i figured as much.
thanks for the spoonfeeds mate
>>
>>58584810
IP change? Is the port open? Test using netcat or nmap.
>>
File: 1461692545106.jpg (85KB, 442x650px) Image search: [Google]
1461692545106.jpg
85KB, 442x650px
>>58584808
>30 addons
>>
>>58584741
>>58584763
>>58584776
Thanks anon! You've been a great help!
>>
>>58584848
No problem, always glad to help people that are learning. Off to bed now. If you get lucky I might be in another /sqt/ thread.
>>
>>58584837
IP is the same. Port should be open but let me try those two.
>>
Whenever I try to use a live USB to run arch or debian, or pretty much anything other than mint and Ubuntu, I get some nouveau error. For arch I get the error as soon as it reads the usb, and debian gives me the error upon selecting live 64 bit. How can i fix it?
>>
>>58584837
All right these two might actually be a bit too advanced for my stupidity, but I'll give them a try still.
>>
is there an easier way to have seperate wallpapers for my dual monitor setup while runnin windows 7 without stitching together one bighuge picture?
>>
File: why.png (41KB, 1011x247px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
41KB, 1011x247px
>>58583956
Why is the newer one cheaper?
>>
>>58585025
Yes, get a program called display fusion
>>
>>58584325
Think the wiki has one
>>
File: autism.png (569KB, 2000x2357px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
569KB, 2000x2357px
Anyone know a simple way to overclock a Qnix monitor (Nvidia GPU) if I'm using Linux and I'm a complete pleb when it comes to terminal? I have it set up fine on Windows but I don't know what I'm doing with terminal.
>>
>>58585110
because intel never changes price of old processors.
>>
File: Oreimo.gif (3MB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
Oreimo.gif
3MB, 512x288px
I am writing a list containing 10 ideas daily.

Have you thought of any interesting ideas (doesn't have to be a business or science breakthrough, more like 'start using liquid soap instead of bars of soap for hygeine'
>>
I've been having this problem for months and have tried countless solutions offered online to no avail.

CPU: AMD FX-6100

8GB RAM

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 380

Small SSD with the operating system and a larger HDD.

Windows 7 64x

Videos will freeze for a moment until they freeze entirely, forcing me to reset it if I want to get it going again. The internet is just entirely fucked and is driving me crazy. Nothing else on my network is having this problem. Usually running a diagnose will fix it but it could be hours to literally seconds until it needs to be fixed again.

I think the problem may be related to the SSD and HDD system I have, but I have no idea.
>>
I have win10 dual booted with mint in grub, and I accidentally destroyed my mint install. Installing debian to try it out- the installer asks if I want to install grub to the MBR (already done) and detects win10 as windows vista. Install it or not?
>>
File: 1484736310920.png (595KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1484736310920.png
595KB, 1080x1920px
if i have files like
my chemical romance - burn down a church with love.mp3
taylor swift - and then he blacked me.mp3

is there a GNU/Linux app that enters the string before the dash into the artist id3 field and the string after as title?

I know there are plenty of ID3 command line editors and it wouldn't be hard to do this yourselves, but i guess some geek already have coded it

picture unrelated
>>
trying to troubleshoot an issue with git, i'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction

On my desktop, running "git diff" just outputs the results to stdout. This is how I would expect it to work. On an alpine linux docker image that I am developing on, however, "git diff" seems to open the results in some sort of editor that I don't recognise. This is causing me some problems. Anyone know how I might be able to change this behaviour?

thanks
>>
fuck me
Grub unknown filesystem error
Dual booting win10 and mint, seems to have come out of nowhere
Can it be fixed without a live USB because I can't make one for a while
>>
>>58585476
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-config#git-config-difftool
>>
>>58585437
>GNU/Linux app

do everyone a favor and gb2/windows or mac/

2/10 if bait, made me reply
>>
>>58585507
>Controls which diff tool is used by git-difftool[1]

I'm not using 'git diff-tool', i'm using 'git diff'. As far as I know, they are different commands for different purposes. I may well be wrong though, so I'll do some tests now. Thanks anon.
>>
>>58583956
I'm currently running a Debian server on my Xeon E3-1240v3 equipped SuperMicro board in my living room, with QEMU/KVM installed for VMs, primarily for separate servers for games, and to serve with GPU passthrough to a Windows 8.1 VM for a media center attached to my home theatre.

I'm thinking of moving to a pure hypervisor OS, mainly Proxmox because the containers method for certain applications would work better for applications that are native to Linux already, like Plex (which I use on the host OS right now)

How would I go about making a shared pool of storage for all my containerized applications like Plex, Bittorrent Sync, Samba, etc on a setup like that? I only have a single 3TB hard disk in there at the moment, will RAID mirror it later. I'm just confused as to how to allow each container to write to a single shared storage area as I do already. Basically Plex, Samba, and Bittorrent Sync all read from a single directory which I have subdirectories in. Not sure how to allow each container access to this. Just use bind mounts or something?

Also, should I install Promox to a flash drive instead and boot it from that, and then create LVM partitions for the VMs and the shared pool?
>>
File: 15sTZ0n.jpg (109KB, 464x720px) Image search: [Google]
15sTZ0n.jpg
109KB, 464x720px
So, i have this old-ish Sony Vaio laptop that uses AMD Radeon hd 7650m as dedicated video card and Intel Pentium b980 as CPU. Recently, i think my Radeon video card died, when i install any drivers for it i get flickering black screen with some artefacts and the PC is unusable unless i go in safe mode and uninstall all the drivers. This way, i can at least use the laptop for browsing internet/watching videos, but just in 1024x768 resolution. I can even play some old video games like Diablo II or Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 without any problems, but when i install something even slightly newer i get huge FPS drops(i tried Warcraft 3, it runs with around 10 fps). My idea was, since apparently my CPU support Intel HD graphics, to just use it as a main "video card", but for some reason i cant isntall any drivers for it, i get the error "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Any help would be greatly appreciated lads
>>
>>58585437
Bash scripting and ffmpeg are your friend.

Something like
for file in *.mp3
do
artist=${file%%-*}
echo $artist
done

should print the artist. Too lazy to look up the ffmpeg commands now but I'm pretty sure that would work.
>>
File: Capture du 2017-01-21 11-28-51.png (25KB, 1021x410px) Image search: [Google]
Capture du 2017-01-21 11-28-51.png
25KB, 1021x410px
I'm new at Linux and I want to install the DRM-Free version of VA-11 Hall A.
How do I do ?
There's that file "runner" in the linux_content folder that I can't run.
>>
>>58585573
Ok I got curious myself and I think I'm close

#!/bin/bash
for file in *.mp3
do
artist=${file%%-*}

song=${file#*-}
song=${song%%.mp3}

echo $artist
echo $song

ffmpeg -i $file -metadata artist="$artist" title="$song" $file
done

but it doesn't work because the artist and title have spaces.

Could someone tell me how I get another set of quotes around the variables in my ffmpeg call? I tried
"\"$artist\""

but that didn't work.
>>
>>58585703
>but it doesn't work because the artist and title have spaces.
Strange, using quotes once should be enough. But anyway
>Could someone tell me how I get another set of quotes around the variables in my ffmpeg call?
Use single quotes, like
'"$artist"'
>>
>>58585588
Well why can't you run it? Have you tried
chmod +x runner && ./runner
?
>>
>>58584421
Usually no. Devices to extract the audio and pass video straight through do exist, as do HDMI to VGA or DVI converters that also have an analogue audio output
>>
>>58585776
Well I just checked and it seems i'm missing the libraries to run the game !
Thanks m8
>>
>>58585560
Tried switching off the dedicated card in BIOS if it has the option? Oldish laptops don't always, if so you may be stuck with the barely working dedicated card.
>>
>>58585803
nope, VAIO BIOS is fucking dogshit and really restricted

guess im screwed, i might try to open the laptop today and bake the card in the oven for a few minutes, it might help
>>
File: huh.gif (1MB, 330x312px) Image search: [Google]
huh.gif
1MB, 330x312px
>>58585757
>Strange, using quotes once should be enough.
I thought so too but I guess the command ends up like
... artist=artist with spaces title=...

which obviously can't work.

Doesn't work with single quotes either.
>>
>>58584883
You'd help yourself a lot by telling us what error you're getting, or even better, searching for that error on Google.

>>58585336
Boot to a Live version of your favorite Linux OS (or use UBCD if you want Windows), and see if the problem persists there. If it doesn't, reinstall Windows. If it does, you have a hardware problem.

>>58585346
Windows Vista implimented the NT60 version of the bootloader, previously it was NT58. If you already have grub you can reconfigure it from Debian and don't need to rewrite it.

>>58585505
If it can't, you have a hardware problem. Does your disk register reallocated sectors in S.M.A.R.T (use gsmartcontrol or crystaldiskinfo to find out)?
>>
>>58583956
I'm making a portable screen/SBC

I want to make it battery powered

Can I just connect up a bunch of rechargeable AAs and use that? What are the drawbacks or dangers?
>>
File: Screenshot-1.png (12KB, 541x213px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1.png
12KB, 541x213px
>>58583956
I get a segmentation fault here, why? I need to divide 1million letters in words of 8.
>>
>>58585904
>hard coded paths
>>
>>58585850
But quoting variables is done to solve this exact problem.
$artist
gets substituted with
artist with spaces
, but the quotes don't get touched. So
"$artist"
should
return "artist with spaces"

Try running your script with echo at the beginning of the ffmpeg line, to see what it's doing.
>>
I cannot get bloody debian to work.
>Install from debian live CD
>Endlessly wait for "loading, please wait"
>Install it from install net USB
>"Loading please wait... /Dev/sda6: clean, xxxx/xxx files, xxxx/xxxx blocks"
>>
What's a good starting point to improve DBA skills? I only have a basic understanding of databases, SQL isn't the problem here, but stuff like troubleshooting performance issues, indexing and all that jazz is kinda foreign to me.
>>
>>58586014
in grub press 'e' on the debian line

find the line then which starts with "linux <kernel image> root=something"

from that line delete "silent" then replace it with "verbose nosplash"

press F10 to boot, shit should be vomiting out text now. Check where pötterings stops.
>>
>>58586187
Did you mean quiet? That's all I see
>>
>>58586201
yeah, that one.
>>
>>58586208
Ok no we're getting somewhere thanks.
Tons of green OKs
Then [ OK ] mounted debug file system
LP: driver loader but no device round
>>
>>58586227
Google suggests it's related to printing and has barely any recent results. My printer is on my wifi network and has never worked on this machine because it's on ethernet
>>
File: wat.png (498KB, 1061x1440px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
498KB, 1061x1440px
how is my pc better than the vast majority if im a fucking casual. i only spent 600 on this bitch
>>
>>58586244
The fact that your printer is connected to your LAN whether by wifi or ethernet has no bearing on whether it works on your machine; Spooling can be done via LDP, CUPS or IPP either way - the only reason you shouldn't be able to print via network is if they're on seperate vlans and your firewall blocks inter-vlan traffic.
>>
>>58586331
Probably non-representative data. People visiting CYRI are mostly poorfags, not people with a Titan X
>>
>>58586331
Because if you've spent 600bux on a computer you're already in the minority of people who don't just buy a pre-made off the shelf without knowing anything about specs.
Also see >>58586358.
>>
>>58586363
well i know a bit i had to build it myself. its just this ended up being a way better deal than anything i put together off pc part picker, even going the amd route.

>>58586358
are there any more reputable sites i can use to compare. i mean 1.8 million is a fuckton of people
>>
>>58586381
That puts you in a very small minority, too.

Games usually list their specs on the site they're sold on - compare that with what you have.
>>
>>58586381
>are there any more reputable sites i can use to compare. i mean 1.8 million is a fuckton of people
The only site that comes to my mind is the Steam hardware survey, they get lots of data from gaymers.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
>>
>>58586397
cool thanks, need to do an inb4 before i get called about.

for >>58586381
i meant amd processor not vid card
>>
>>58586400
No, it's not. The average computer on Steam is 2.6-2.9GHz quad-core with 8GB ram, a 970 w/ 1GB VRAM (?????), running 1080p.

>>58586406
If you want an upgrade for your CPU, your best place to get a simple way of telling whether x is better than y is https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
>>
>>58586427
>quad-core
More likely it's dual-core with hyperthreading which is not equivalent.
>>
>>58586427
>The average computer on Steam is 2.6-2.9GHz quad-core with 8GB ram, a 970 w/ 1GB VRAM (?????), running 1080p.
That's the mode, not the average. Learn2statistics.
>>
File: 1402225502670.jpg (42KB, 300x301px) Image search: [Google]
1402225502670.jpg
42KB, 300x301px
>>58585994
Thanks for your help but as usual the error was something completely different. You just have to add -metadata for every tag
 -metadata artist="..." -metadata title="..."

Also ffmpeg doesn't seem to like editing existing files so you have to create a new one which makes the whole script pretty stupid. Still dumping it in case anyone wants to use it or improve it with a suitable id3 tool.

#!/bin/bash
for file in *.mp3
do
artist=${file%%[ ]-*}

song=${file#*-[ ]}
song=${song%%.mp3}

echo $artist
echo $song

ffmpeg -i "$file" -metadata title="$song" -metadata artist="$artist" -codec copy "${file%%.mp3}-tagged.mp3"
done
>>
>>58586427
>If you want an upgrade for your CPU, your best place to get a simple way of telling whether x is better than y is https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

thanks for the tip, im not really planning though. i just finished bf2 and was curious about if i could run the new one i just had no idea how well my pc compared to whats out there
>>
Is there a GUI software that can index images by the text on them?

Like it would scan each image with OCR (tesseract?) and organize it into a database. When I input a term, it would throw me the files that contain said term.
>>
>>58584102
Passive cooling or laptop.
But a cool and powerful laptop is pricey. (Dell Precision for example)
>>
>>58584250
> anything I should know
Yes, only buy MLC SSD.
SLC is best, but very pricey. TLC is trash, but they keep pushing it.

Also, Intel offers 5 year warranty, and they have one of the cheapest MLCs on the market. I am no shill, just found this a few weeks ago when I had to order one for a customer.

Look around and buy something with long warranty. If the firmware turns out to be fucked, you can always just return it.
(There were quite a few botched up SSDs in the past few years.)
>>
>>58586331
CPU is ok.
Memory is kinda low (16gigs is now recommended for most use cases).
GPU fucking sucks.

PSU could be also questionable. But if it works, just replace it when it breaks.
>>
I'm dual booting for the first time, my questions:
1. If I have dual boot with Linux and Windows, will both OSes read and be able to save data to my external NTFS disk?
2. Is having 'shared data' partition a better option? If so then what format should it be, I read of both FAT32 and NTFS.
>>
>>58585904
compile with clang, use debug flag, and run it with "gdb". these are all essential tools.
>>
>>58586513
After having a non-Intel SSD die on me the other day, I'm going back to my policy of only buying Intel SSDs.

>>58586537
Linux can read and write to NTFS via fuse-ntfs.
Shared partitions can work for stuff that's not system files.

>>58586541
>not mentioning dtrace
lol linux.
>>
>>58585890
Why not? Then again, it's all about how much power you need, how much they add up to, and so on.

It would be easier (I think) to order these "batteries". Not the off the shelf ones, but you can order proper li-ion battery packs which you can wire together.

You will have to look up how voltage adds up, etc. Visit /diy/ maybe. And well, look up how much juice you need, how much battery life you need, etc.

These shops (RS-Components, Farnell) are your friend, they have almost every component ready. But yeah, you will have to solder a tiny bit.
>>
>>58586537
>1. If I have dual boot with Linux and Windows, will both OSes read and be able to save data to my external NTFS disk?
yes

>2. Is having 'shared data' partition a better option?

how is it a different option from the situation described in #1?
>>
>>58586545
>After having a non-Intel SSD die on me the other day
I used Kingston Sandforce SSDs. Two of them, in RAID0. For years. And they had no TRIM. Only a few weeks ago I realized using that cool trim tester tool that Windows lies - and I have no TRIM.
(Even though my chipset is said to support it.)

Point is: They still work, and thanks to Kingston/Sandforce they, they prevented write amplification, and early degradation.

So there are good SSDs out there.
Just saying that the current Intel MLC ones fucking rock. (And I have like 10 Intel ones running, some very old, they still run like a charm.)

> not mentioning dtrace
True, I am a scrub C/C++ dev, clang/gdb was always enough. I also enjoyed using NetBeans, it was a comfy IDE for C. (Some say Visual Studio, I don't know, with expensive plugins it becomes powerful, but raw VS is not THAT good.)
>>
>>58586537
1. Yes.
2. Just make the primary OS bigger. I guess that's Windows in your case. "Linux" will work with a 20gig partition just fine, and you can reach all your files.

Keep in mind Linux will fragment your drive to hell, but worry not, Windows nowadays schedules automatic defragment.

(Just saying. Because a few times I copied back tons of files using Ubuntu live CD / my own installed distro, and every time I started using said copied data, it was slow. Checked with defrag tool, and it was all over the place.)
>>
>>58586569
>how is it a different option from the situation described in #1?
This way I would have to further partition the hard disk on my laptop. If I keep it externally I would just have 1 partition for Windows and 1 for Linux - instead of 1 W, 1 L and 1 shared.
>>
>>58586537
>If so then what format should it be, I read of both FAT32 and NTFS.
NTFS, it's more resistent against filesystem corruption.
>>
>>58586573
Oh, sure - you can get lucky and get a good SSD from not-Intel. It's just not something reliable.
This friday I placed an order for 20 1.2TB Intel 750 U.2 SSDs for my OS' new raidz3 array with +10GBps read and write and +1.5M IOPS.
>>
>>58586591
Compared to FAT32 - barely. Compared to ZFS or HAMMER? No fucking chance, mate.
>>
>>58586593
I know, they are godsend.
But people (especially paid posters) will frown upon you/me if we say Intel is good.
>>
>>58586605
>Compared to FAT32
That's what he was asking m8
>barely
I wouldn't call journaling "barely".
>>
>>58586584
put ssd instead of hdd
remove dvd rom from the notebook, put in caddy for hdd with data storage hdd

data hdd put as NTFS, split ssd in to windows/linux

the best way
>>
>>58586623
It's got no crash consistency, no meta- or -data checksumming, and no transactional write model. It didn't even popularize journaled filesystems - that was JFS back in the early 90s. The day that ReFS is judged good enough to be bootable is the day Windows finally gets a modern filesystem - until then it's legacy that's not to be trusted with data.

>>58586635
Or get rid of optical media all-together and use USB flash devices.
>>
File: 2ndHDD_dvd_rom_caddy.jpg (253KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2ndHDD_dvd_rom_caddy.jpg
253KB, 1024x768px
>>58586668
>Or get rid of optical media all-together and use USB flash devices.

duh, thats what I am saying
>>
>>58586682
"By our ideas combined, everyone can avoid optical media!"
>>
I'm dual booting for the first time PART 2 (sorry):
Please correct me if my envisioned installation process is wrong, I want to install both OSes from scratch. (my hard disk size is 650 GB)
1. Installing clean Windows 10 -> setting single 500 GB partition and the remainder unalocated.
2. Setting USB booting options.
3. Installing Linux on the unalocated space (150 GB):
primary / 15 GB
primary /home reminder c. 120 GB
primary /swap 9-12 GB (I have 6 GB RAM)
logical /boot (500 MB)

I'm not sure about sizes of the partitions in the 3rd point AND whether I should really fiddle with the 3rd partition for data sharing if I have the big external drive.
>>
What the fuck is Magisk

How the fuck do I pass the SafetyNet check?
>>
I'm very lost, I'm going to buy an RX480 8gb but can't decide on which one, could you guys help me decide
ASUS STRIX-RX480-O8G-GAMING : 3 fans, longer but my case can fit it
MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G : 10 euro cheaper
Sapphire 11260-20-20G : 50/40 euro cheaper, but only 2 year warranty over 3 on the other 2, seems the most basic of them all
I'm planning on keeping this card for a fairly long time, please help me choose if any of these cards have some known defects or high noise or whatever
>>
>>58584835
There are a million videos on utube for every step in building a pc.
>>
>>58583956
How do I remove the whispering at 1:32 on this video, but keep the music playing? Its really awkward.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU
>>
>>58586728
You can drop /boot. It's mostly useless to have one nowadays, especially on desktop.
/ is fine.
Swap is fine.

/home ... it depends. if you just keep a small set of files and access the rest from the Windows NTFS drive, it may be a bit big.

but only you know how you use the computer.
>>
>>58586795
- Longest warranty.
- On off fan. (off if no load)
- Not very long or very heavy.
- Cheapest.

Check ASUS/Gigabyte.
Also if you want to use it for a longer time, why AMD? They drop support fucking fast. But hey, no judging. See the top four points.
>>
File: 344324435445656.png (84KB, 461x309px) Image search: [Google]
344324435445656.png
84KB, 461x309px
I have a dual screen setup and an old GTX 760, and nowadays I've started to have odd small black squares running through my screen at random times. Also more and more dead pixels are show up and disappear. My graphics card is dying isn't it?
>>
>>58586864
Dead pixels?
Nah, it's your display lol.

If it's your GPU, then run Furmark or any 3D game. If you see purple colors, weird textures and glitches, the GPU is fried.

But, see my first point it's most likely your display.
>>
is Tor down for everyone or just me?

seems like it doesn't complete the encryption process or doesn't even connect to the network while using a proxy.
>>
>>58586882
Alright, not dead pixels, but rather small dots that flicker on both of my screens. Also sometimes when I'm watching shit the monitors hang, going black, but I can still hear everything that's going on in the video.

The oddest part is that it doesn't do any of that when I'm playing something, but god forbid if I'm using chrome or watching a video, it either hangs or displays those black squares.
>>
Stupid question of the month:

What is 'firmware'? I know a lot about computers and tech but for whatever reason the meaning of what this term is referring to just hasn't stuck with me
>>
I'm donating 10$ to open source apps via Google Play
Donations I've made so far:
>Slide
>Lightning
>FTP server
>Red Moon
Name more apps I can donate to via Google Play
>>
>>58586836
That's part of the song, you philistine.

>>58587055
Firmware is the binary software that ships with certain types of modern hardware (see: graphics cards, RAID HBAs and similar) which take care of controlling the hardware instead of letting the OS do that. It's supposed to make the hardware more efficient (it's debatable whether it does, compared to letting the kernel do it), but what it really does is allow arbitrary uncontrollable execution on your machine.

>>58587072
FreeBSD Foundation takes bitcoin.
>>
>>58587107
>That's part of the song, you philistine.
I know, and it ruins it.
>>
>>58587107
I don't have Bitcoins, I have Google Play credits left since I ditched Google.
>>
>>58587111
Listen to a different song. You can be always playing something new and never run out because we've been trapped in a system of overproduction for so long.
>>
>>58587111
Use some DJ software and remove that part?
I am sure some filter could get it out - but the last time I used such software was back when Nero was cool and it had that full fledged audio editor/mixer stuff.
>>
So how do I find what ethernet driver I need for gentoo?
>>
>>58587150
I love the song that part where she whispers is just awkward

>>58587164
Am gonna use audacity and cut and copy bits. Will be hard, thought there may be an easier way, oh well
>>
>>58587173
Gentoo's ethernet doesn't just work? It did for me back in the 00s.

What you should do is Install Ubuntu and/or CentOS (maybe keep CentOS in a virtual machine since its kinda a shit desktop OS with its tiny official repositories and everything being old, really only useful for enterprise shit made specifically for RHEL) and study for Linux certs if you want to actually "learn Linux:"
>>
>>58587173
"BUT LINUX HAS EVERY SINGLE AND ALL DRIVERS!!!!" --Every Linux User ever.
What model is your ethernet card? Usually you can look it up via PCI ID which is a string that looks roughly like this: "XXXX:XXXX" in hexidecimal and can be found with lspci -nn in the [ ]
>>
>>58587203
>Am gonna use audacity and cut and copy bits
That's very dumb.
>>
Is OOP scalable
>>
>>58587173
Forgot to mention this in >>58587224, but you may need to use 'lspci -qnn' which queries a central PCI ID database.
>>
Hey guys Im totally new to the UNIX world, with what variant i should go?
>>
>>58587233
Why?
>>
>>58587256
Anything is scalable if written properly. Question is, are you a good enough programmer?

>>58587277
Depends - do you want something that's actually descended from UNIX or do you want a UNIX-like? Linux is a UNIX-like but BSDs and Illumos share (some, very little nowadays) code with UNIX (Illumos through Solaris, BSDs through the Berkeley System Distribution).

https://freebsd.org/handbook has good documentation for what you need to try out FreeBSD.
>>
>>58587207
Fuck off, I'm bored
>being a server monkey
>>58587224
Apparently the kernel compiled with support for a different Intel ether net driver, might try changing it and see if that fixes anything
>>
>>58586864
>>58586989
Someone pls respond
>>
File: 1481487662114.gif (89KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481487662114.gif
89KB, 400x400px
>>58587315

Linux
>>
>>58587277
ubuntu

most popular, reference point
>>
>>58586137
halp
>>
>>58587362
Enjoy your systemd.
>>
>>58587207
That stuff takes effort. Dicking around with Gentoo provides the same satisfaction without needing to try.
>>
>>58587285
Because I told you. A simple filter will remove that part, or any part. Just download (pirate, duh) some proper audio editor.
Heck, maybe Audacity also has some filters.
Select part, run filter, check.
Rinse and repeat.

Sounds good? Select bigger part to see if it works, blends in well.
Does it? Good, you are done.
>>
I have like a very stupid android problem, I can post that here right?

I recently was given a beat up Galaxy S3. The one problem I'm trying to fix is attempting to enter the app switcher screen by holding the home buttons brings up "Unfortunately, system UI has stopped" and crashes the wallpaper. I've rooted, installed CWM and factory reset after which I got into the switcher screen once and then the problem comes back. What the hell could possibly cause this?
>>
>>58587370
go find some database related subreddit
>>
>>58587409
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRHRP5TfOvc
>>
>>58587429
I was hoping for a real answer but I was gonna flash a custom rom on it at some point already so I may as well use that one.
>>
>>58587390
Nah. Filtering just one bit will sound worse than the whispering
>>
File: 011.png (135KB, 347x627px) Image search: [Google]
011.png
135KB, 347x627px
If I have two hard drives, K and H, with similar directories, K:\TV vs H:\TV, K:\Music vs H:\Music, is there a way to make a virtual HD that L that shows files from both HDs automatically?
So if I go to L:\TV I see files from both H and K?
I don't wanna do a spanned volume, so is the only way to create symbolic links for every single subfolder?
>>
>>58587544
There are a dozen filters, each doing different things. And you can configure each one of them too.
>>
>>58587409
It's got some shit modified system.

> go to sammobile.com
> enter model number
> download latest firmware
> enjoy your new rock solid phone

You can also install CM13 or something, but it will never be THAT stable. (I tried. On both i9300 (S3), and i9305 (S3 LTE))
>>
>>58587594
Ah yes, you need "ODIN", Google it, to flash the original firmware. And you have to enter "Download mode" (VOL_DOWN + HOME + POWER).

But every tutorial will tell you these steps in detail. Also it's piss easy and impossible to fuck up.

>>58587571
Windows Library?
It is what you want basically.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/10283/understanding-the-libraries-feature-in-windows-7/
>>
>>58587611
Arigatou
Now I just gotta figure this shit out:
http://serverfault.com/questions/508242/this-network-location-cant-be-included-because-it-is-not-indexed
>>
I built this computer around 3-4 years ago and its starting to slack a bit as far as gaming goes. Does anyone know the best way I can upgrade this? Or should I just scrap the whole build and make a whole new setup?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3cja6
>>
Would it be a good idea to host a hentai home client on an Amazon AWS frees account? Would it work and would it remain to be free?
>>
>>58587723
It looks okay, just upgrade the GPU.
To be honest new games either use multi threading, or just suck in general (like MMOs).

So if they suck, you can build a gazillion core water cooled rig and they will still fucking lag. (TERA, ArcheAge, B&S).

If they are written well (BF1, Titanfall 2, Siege, etc), they will run well.

tl;dr; Only the GPU looks mediocre-ish.
>>
>>58587747
It would cost you an arm and leg.
Bandwidth costs a fucking lot at Amazon. They also charge for extra IO and literally everything.
So if you don't want to get raped by an Amazon bill, DON'T.

Rent a Kimsufi server if you want to get points that much. Btw I have plenty, if I can send, let me know and I will send.
(Farmed tons on useless dedicated servers)
>>
I've copied some movies onto my nexus 5x, but how do I watch them now?
There's no movie player or file browser.
I want to avoid having to install 3rd party applications if it can be done natively.
>>
>>58586513
anyone else beside intel doing MLC?
>>
>>58587767
> 41k Credits
> 6,9 kGP
> 167 hath

>>58587774
mxplayer

You might need codecs, they are also "mxplayer (Codec yadda yadda) on play store.

File browser: Install "Solid Explorer"
Have fun.

> I want to avoid having to install 3rd party
Stop being fucking retarded holy shit.
This is STUPID question thread, but you don't have to be THIS stupid.

>>58587793
Tons, almost every vendor.
It's a technology, nothing proprietary.
MLC is like middle ground, will work for 15-20 years even with heavy desktop use (estimated of course).
>>
>>58587748
Would an rx480 be much of an improvement over what I have now?
>>
>>58587774
You could also upload the movie to Drive and watch it from there. Maximum keks.
>>
>>58587767
Nah, I'm just looking for a project mostly.
>>
>>58587799
and who is beside Intel the most reliable ssd maker? there are tons of makers nowadays like adata,patriot, crucial,ozc sandisk etc.
>>
>>58587823
>OCZ
>>
>>58587803
It really depends.
I have a GTX880M in my laptop, and 99% of the stuff is CPU bottlenecked. (GTX880M is literally a GTX760 desktop).

So... yeah.
I would suggest installing "Afterburner" by MSI.
It's free. You can enable CPU usage / GPU usage overlay. Launch games and see which maxes out.
(Well if your GPU is not 99%, then it's the CPU.)

We upgraded my gf's PC from 7870 to GTX780 then GTX1060.
Well, ain't much difference.

>>58587823
Very good question. People will often say Samsung, they have some very good SSDs.
Price wise, they cost roughly the same (bit more than Intel).
I would say just pick the one with most warranty if you hate Intel.
>>
>>58587799
>mfw google play movies can't play video files
>>
>>58587846
something else but should you run your browser on ssd or is it just OS and games for it?
>>
>>58584220
512MB RAM
maybe Lubuntu?
>>
>>58587859
It can, just gotta cough up that cash money, son.

>>58587866
Of course, run everything on the SSD as much as possible.
It's fearmongering and nothing else that you must be careful.

I compiled. I gamed. I reinstalled a dozen times. Virtualization. I used it as cache, EVERYTHING you can just imagine.
And based on the current TBs written, and estimated life time, this SSD will run for 15 MORE FUCKING YEARS. (or more)

Just use it.
Also, I would suggest getting a 240GB/512GB model (anything bigger), because having your core apps, maybe a few games on it is godsend. Don't worry, not every game benefits from it. Games with small files will, however.
KF2 on a HDD takes around 5-10 minutes to launch & load map.
On an SSD? 15-30 seconds?

240GB is enough for Windows, every user app, and 2-3 major AAA games.
>>
>>58587799
>> I want to avoid having to install 3rd party
>Stop being fucking retarded holy shit.
>This is STUPID question thread, but you don't have to be THIS stupid.
Does it bother you this much that I don't want to have to install a tiny app for every little thing I want to do?
>>
>>58587881
Even 1GB is barely usable, sadly.
XP is leaner (not trolling), but well, you can't do much on 512MB ram anyhow.

>>58587947
Yes it bothers me, because you don't want to install a VIDEO PLAYER to play a VIDEO.
I mean, every smartphone worked like this since forever. Even your computer works like this.

Only McLennfart Poettering would say "the kernel should contain a video player, a music player, and web browser."
tl;dr: Installing apps is perfectly fine. Just avoid installing shit. Mxplayer and Solid Explorer are both A grade stuff.
>>
Hello friends, I'm trying to do a thing but it doesn't do it. I'm not any good at the command line, but perhaps you can help me. The 'code' is kinda self-explanatory but I'll help explain anyway.

elize@workstation: upload.sh image.png | xclip -sel clip

This uploads image.png to mixtape.moe and then outputs the link, next xclip copies that link into my clipboard and I can paste it anywhere. I've tested it and it works.
So I'm trying to make a short alias into my .bashrc so it does that all without me having to type so much that I won't remember for long anyway.

(~/.bashrc)
alias upload='function _(){ echo "upload.sh $1 | xclip -sel clip"};'

This doesn't work at all though, the computer is >implying to me when I do this.

elize@workstation: upload image.png
>
> ^C
elize@workstation:

How to fix?
>>
>>58586860
I thought AMD is the one that actually supports their card instead of gimping it with every update ?
>>
>>58587997
Because you wrote a function AND an alias together.
Either make a function OR an alias.

In this case an alias will do.

Just do this:
alias upload='upload.sh image.png | xclip -sel clip'

Or whatever you want to do.
>>
>>58588018
But anon, then it would always upload image.png, right?
Obviously I wanna upload something that isn't image.png sometimes.
>>
>>58588011
you are correct, dont know what that guy is talking about
>>
>>58588011
This gimp meme has to stop.
Both manufacturers optimize for their new cards, and kinda neglect the older ones. This results in a few percent performance loss during the years. So your new and shiny RX480 or 1080 won't do 1000 FPS, only 998. 5 years later.

Support means new drivers on the long run.
If you use Windows, Nvidia will support it for longer period. And Nvidia has Linux/FreeBSD driver with SLI support.
On the other hand, AMD drops Windows support fast, and their closed drivers suck ass. But, they do have a Linux open source driver, and if you have a supported card, it will work okay most of the time.

(But if you use Linux, just use an integrated GPU)

>>58588033
Use a function then, lol.

function upImage() {
~/.scripts/upload.sh $1 | xclip -sel clip
}

Or something like this.
>>
>>58587976
Well, I didn't need to install a photo viewer to view photos or a browser to surf the web.
Heck, it even can play my own recorded videos, just not videos I didn't take with the camera.

And no, the container/codec is natively supported.
>>
File: shutterstock_155526815-750x563.jpg (40KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_155526815-750x563.jpg
40KB, 750x563px
So how stupid is to use finger-print scanners on smartphones?
>>
>>58588090
You fingerprint is a username not a password
>>
>>58588063
Well, AOSP only can do so much.
Samsung, HTC, LG and all the rest uses their own apps for displaying pictures (Album/Gallery), showing videos, and so on.

File explorers will be able to play back your stuff probably, IF it is really supported.
Like Solid Explorer will use a native Android ..thing..to play it back, but it's really primitive.
>>
>>58588090
Not at all? It's comfy and pretty secure.
Add Cerberus, and you are settled.
>>
>>58588063
>>58588121
I figured the Photo app can actually play them. Though one needs to switch to album view where it'll show a directory with all the files in it.
Great job google at hiding this.
>>
>>58588144
Look, you will still miss 99% of the good features.
But hey, it's your decision. Have fun!

You might also want to check out "Plex", it's a one-time fee for Android.
Your library, streamed from your PC/server. Comfy as shit.
(If you upload pics/vids to Google Drive, Google will also stream those to you, like you would watch a Youtube movie.)
>>
As a wannabe webdeveloper and new into Linux is it advantagous for me in any way to create /home partition? Would it be overkill to set 30 GB for / and another 30 GB for /home?
>>
>>58588246
Only useful if you have to reinstall the system. That way you just keep all your settings/files in your /home.

20gb for / is enough IMO.
>>
>>58588056
I did it now! Thanks, was a bit different from how you suggested but you pointed me the right way.
>>
I just built a mini itx build but when I got everything running I touched the case and got a small shock and it shut down. Now it wont work at all. Any thoughts?
>>
File: STANDOFFM3Alarge-10-2-BD.jpg (19KB, 362x295px) Image search: [Google]
STANDOFFM3Alarge-10-2-BD.jpg
19KB, 362x295px
>>58588339
Kek. Forgot standoffs?
>>
>>58588339
standoffs ? if yes, you're a fucking retard that deserves everything that happened and will happen to you
>>
>>58588246
>>58588286
that said the current web is quite cancerous.
I would simply use Virtualbox or Vmware, if you are on Windows.
If not, use KVM/Virtualbox on Linux.

just because that way you can roll back / get rid of all that mess.

>>58588357
I forgot mine one time, installed them, and everything worked just fine after.
He still has hope. (if it's a proper motherboard)
>>
Does a person sitting in an enclosed room appreciably increase the temperature of the room by being there?

Came up in a story where a girl has been laying in her room with a fever all day and the protagonist notes how hot it is in the room, presumably due to the extra heat from her fever, seemed unlikely to me that such a thing could happen...
>>
Is there any way to improve the effectiveness of a heat sink? My PC is getting old and heats up a lot, i already changed the thermal paste but it still happens
>>
>>58588405
>blow the dust out(like really fucking hard, either blow with mouth till you start blacking out or if you have compressed air would work too(also not in the fucking case, take it out to bathroom))
>change the fan
Basically everything that's possible without changing the heatsink itself
>>
>>58588405
Nothing I can think of really besides making sure it is making good contact with the CPU, is attached firmly, thermal paste is applied properly
>>
>>58588438
Already opened it and cleaned it with compressed air

>>58588439
I applied it as good as i could following a tutorial i found on the internet and it has a lot of screws so i'd say it's firm on its place

I was looking for something like "put aluminium foil around it" or some lyff hax like that, i suppose there are none

Thanks for your help
>>
>>58588387
If 100% sealed and perfectly insulatetd, I'm sure it would raise it a few degrees just from the human body constantly burning calories and putting off heat
>>
>>58588489
>tutorial I found online
It wasn't by MSI, was it ?
In all seriousness if you didn't put a small pea and let the heatsink spread it out, reapply the paste, other way it could be with air bubbles or too much of paste which also fucks with cooling
Of course you won't notice any cosmic difference, stock coolers(I assume it's a stock cooler you're talking about) can only do so much
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-01-21_11-02-47.png (50KB, 758x507px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-01-21_11-02-47.png
50KB, 758x507px
I fucked up and disabled the menu options, how do i enable them again?
>>
>>58588387
Easily, what the fuck do you think, ambient room temperatures are ~22-24, while your body is a little bit less than 37 if you're not sick
>>
>>58588540
Try ALT
>>
Is there a program or hack somehow to disable the menu bar (File, Edit, Help, etc) for an arbitrary Windows application?
>>
>>58588352
>>58588357

no, I installed the standoffs. Ive built a few computers before. Nothing is getting power, even the fan controller, so I think its the psu.
>>
what gives better image quality for 1080p movie?

>PC that plays movie connected to TV via hdmi
or
>TV itself playing movie from USB
>>
>>58576170
Thanks man
(other thread 404d)
>>
is allegro5 a meme?
>>
what would help the program that compares images for similarity being faster? ssd? cpu? ram?
>>
Is 4GB RAM enough to use android studio on Windows 10?
>>
>>58588683
this shock/shutdown sounds very fishy still.
only the motherboard's "shutdown pin" could power off the PC with one contact.

>>58588387
Yes.
Also you could note the increased vapor on the windows.
Even in normal situations a person breaths out a ton of water.
If you are sick, even more.

(I had some material on this, because it's a concern in a cold warehouse. They breathe out for example 4-5L, multiply that by the amount of workers, and you have ice fucking everywhere.)
>>
>>58588489
Just get a cheap aftermarket cooler.
10-15$ is the cheapest and they do a splendid job compared to stock.
>>
>>58588567
nothing, thanks for trying
>>
Which program is the best C compiler on Windows?
>>
>>58588540
Have you tried hitting the icon on the top far left of the window?
>>
>>58588932
That was my first thought, but the menu is related to the window manager, not the file manager
>>
>>58588567
>>58588932
turns out the shortcut was ctrl + M

thanks though /g/
>>
>>58588999
nice trips desu
>>
File: IMG_0187.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0187.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I just got a used Thinkpad T420 and am trying to change the boot order but can't. When I'm at this page, I cant change anything it just beeps. Boot Order Lock is not Enabled.
>>
Do I assemble cpu to motherboard before or after putting mb into case?
>>
>>58589697
b4, but not that it actually matters, just easier to do when you're in open space, if so would happen that I would change a CPU keeping the same mobo, I would do it inside the case
>>
>>58585437
easytag
>>
>>58589697
I did it after last time. Doesn't really matter.
>>
I'm about to put together my first big build, shown here >>58589798 and I don't know if it would be beneficial to have a fan controller >>58589754 like the Sentry 3 or if I should just rely on my motherboard for fan control.

When would someone need a dedicated fan controller?
>>
How do I uninstall pulseaudio completely? Using Linux Mint
>>
I have an old optiplex 980 tower using windows 7, the only thing I do on it is use Ableton and Reaper for music stuff

it has 4 ram slots and each slot has a 1 gb card for total of 4gb ram (computer supports up to 16gb, 4x4gb)

I have already ordered 2 4gb ram cards. My question is if I leave two of the 1gb cards in the computer for a total of 10 gb, is it gonna fuck my shit up, or am I better off just using the 2x4gb ram setup for a total of 8
>>
>>58590049
You need a fan controller if you want a fan controller to play with, and sometimes if you have more fans than you actually need.
>>
What is a search engine that works alright with w3m or a similar browser
>>
Why are VESA stands expensive as fuck?
>>
Any good alternatives to Avidemux? It's not available on GetDeb, and I don't know what ppa it belongs to.
>>
Is it possible to delete Cerber ransomware and decrypt all the files? Please help!
>>
>>58590446
Alright how you managed to get ransomware.
>>
>>58584361
temporary solution install stylish or other alternative. create blank style:

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document regexp("*")
a,body,div,span{text-decoration:none!important}
}
>>
>>58590457
By mail
>>
>>58590474
I think you have bad luck since the server vulnerability to get the keys got patched a while ago so you cant drecrypt it.

I hope you have backups.
>>
When I use my scroll wheel my speakers make a light grinding noise. I use Firefox, but can't seem to find a setting to turn it off. It only makes the noise when I can scroll up/down a page, so it doesn't make it when I scroll up at the top of the page.
>>
>>58590340
as opposed to what stands ?
>>
Do you need 16 gigs of ram when not doing production things and just gaming/browsing?
>>
>>58584361
disable all addons, still have the issue?
>>
>>58590652
it's the bare minimum for windows 10 to boot up, 32 should be fine if you do light gaming
>>
>>58590652
yes 16 is the new 8
>>
File: Speccy64_2017-01-21_20-19-07.png (20KB, 459x417px) Image search: [Google]
Speccy64_2017-01-21_20-19-07.png
20KB, 459x417px
I keep getting white horizontal "lines" on my new monitor that are really distracting, went to get it checked out but it worked alright on the guy's PC. I get them in gray and black backrounds with text in them. They're not really lines, I don't really know how to explain it, kinda like scan lines moving really fast up & down. It's really distracting and annoying. I used to have a Philips 170s (don't laugh) and it's the first time I'm using a 1080p monitor. Wat do?
>>
>>58590712
>tfw only 4
>>
>>58590726
Put on the heatsink, maybe that would help
>>
>>58590726
>92C
>64C

it's time to clean your case.
>>
>>58590652
>2
8 isn't a problem for me, and I usually have lots of stuff open on both monitors. It would be nice to have more for VMs. I wouldn't build a PC today with less than 16.
>>
File: 1483761717217.png (487KB, 617x656px) Image search: [Google]
1483761717217.png
487KB, 617x656px
>>58590743
>>58590744
B-But guise the heatsink is on and the case is clean. :(
>>
>>58590771
>I wouldn't build a PC today with less than 16
You would when you would look at RAM prices, literally doubled in few months
>>
>>58590777
Fan on the heatsink ?
All seriousness, with those temps, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the problem for other PC hiccups
>>
>>58590788
fug
>>
>>58590652
Not really but is handy.
>>
>>58590808
for you it's fug because of realisation
for me it's fugg because I'm sitting with a new build and 8GB single channel ram, waiting for a better tomorrow to run dual channel
>>
>>58590726
>92°C
Anon i know its AMD and shit but dont overclock that shit that much or get an aftermarket HSF.

Also if you have another monitor to test it and works fine then its just the cable.
Otherwise your cable or GPU is kill, probably just drivers.
>>
File: GeorgeLucas.jpg (51KB, 646x341px) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeLucas.jpg
51KB, 646x341px
What's the best way to download videos from youtube that won't result in desynched audio? I used ClipConverter.cc, but it desynched the audio. Don't know if this is a problem with saving the file as an MP4, or what? Would saving it as AVI be better?
>>
>>58590831
I-I'm pretty sure I didn't overclock shit. The hsf came with the box, tho. My Philips 170s worked perfectly.
>>
>>58590866
youtube-dl
>>
>>58590888
Nice trips. Do you download the clips in MP4 or AVI? Any desync?
>>
Why should I use HTTPS Everywhere?
>>
>>58590872
Either way if it's the main cause of your problems or not, if you have 30$ laying around, you should invest in a new heatsink, like the CM 212X or equivalent, better temps, no leafblower sound from your computer, even at loads, if the problem persists it's something with your GPU or maybe as someone said the cable
>>
>>58590866
this >>58590888

and no, there's no GUI, and yes, it's fucking easy to use.
so read up 10 minutes on it before complaining and looking for shitty alternatives that do a horrible job.
>>
>>58590923
https is safer than http
>>
>>58590923
so you use https on sites that support it without making a request over http.
>>
>>58590788
well fug indeed. I simply need the ram for new build
>>
>>58590940
>>58590947
How it's "safe"? Every website I have to insert a password or my credit card number already uses HTTPS
>>
>>58591000
because everyone can just read whatever you transfer over http.
surely you don't want your mom to see your shitposts on /g/.
>>
>>58591028
>surely you don't want your mom to see your shitposts on /g/.
Oh, that settles it. Downloading it right now
>>
anyone know of alternative to jdwonloader with same functionality?
>>
>>58591115
Ctrl+J
>>
File: 1451049839552.jpg (43KB, 520x350px) Image search: [Google]
1451049839552.jpg
43KB, 520x350px
Does native screen resolution affect gaming ? I have a 1440x900 screen and I had lots of trouble running games that don't even require half of my specs, I'd get a shitload of freeze lag framedrop even at lowest settings. However when I switched from native to 1280x800 the games ran smoothly even on max. Man if it was only the native resolution ruining everything all this time then it means I've been cucked for two years
>>
What's the Uncensored Hidden Wiki link?
>>
>>58591308
>I couldn't run games at 4k even at lowest setting, but dropping to 480p I could run crysis 3 on ultra
The higher the resolution the more powerful GPU you need, if you can't run shit at 1440x900 you should consider upgrading your whole computer, not just the GPU, as I could probably run that on my iGPU with pleasant framerates
>>
Best browser for mint?

Chromium?
Firefox?

And why do you think it's the best?
>>
I'm looking to fix a cracked screen but can't find the screen part for my Acer GN246HL. Would appreciate the help.
>>
There is a version of Unix meant for students to study. It comes with a book and enumerated source code books. Anyone remember the name?
>>
>>58590902
youtube doesn't provide avi's

all youtube-dl does it grab the streams as-is, if you still have desync issues, it's your player/computer
>>
>>58591373

By best I mean:

Fast, simple and bookmarks etc.
>>
is CCCP deprecated? it hasnt updated in forever. what's a better, more up to date alternative?
>>
>>58591457
Ok, I've read the documentation, but I don't know where the file is being saved.
I typed youtube-dl (url), and it downloaded the file into an mp4 and m4a, but I don't know where it is. It also asked to press -k to keep? What's the default output location.
>>
>>58591581
the same directory you run it in.
get ffmpeg and it'll mux it for you.
>>
>>58591432
http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/

Very fun read, excellent choice by you or your teacher.

>>58590108
You should be fine. Note, however, if your new RAM is faster than the old RAM (i.e. 1333Mhz vs 1866MHz), then the 1866MHz ram will run as 1333MHz. Not a huge deal, but you might want to look into it.
>>
>>58591552
most codec packs eventually deprecate, because the maintainers aren't really serious about it.
luckily for someone with your namefagging, there's kawaii codec pack which is more-recently-deprecated.

>>58591581
Since you're already doing youtube-dl you should grab chocolatey and use that to install and update programs for you
>>
>>58591593
Yeah, I realized after I replied... thanks though.
>>
File: AWESOMEtransparent.png (126KB, 392x345px) Image search: [Google]
AWESOMEtransparent.png
126KB, 392x345px
I bought a Kodak Verite 55 XL and want to use it in my network hooked up to my server. It installed fine on my server (running Windows 10 pro) but my main machine (still on 7) won't install it, it asks for an INF that is not part of the installer (it's a 1 piece installer, not a package), and gives me error 0x00000214 when I drop an INF from the installation on the server.

Needless to say, Windows Update isn't finding shit. Been fucking with this for 2 days and it's pissing me off.
>>
>>58591619
Another dumb question, is there a way to only download sections of a video, say from 0:25 to 0:53 for example?
>>
>>58591691
no.
>>
>>58591608
>http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/Lions/

I could have sworn it had a weird name, like Munix or something, but that looks like what I was remembering. Odd.
>>
How do I fake gps nowadays on tinder without rooting?
>>
>>58591771
use a emulator
>>
>>58591608
>>58591723
damn, okay so it was xv6 that I was looking for, which is what you linked but for x86 for MIT.

Thanks. I wouldn't have found it so easily without the lead.

Thanks.
>>
Is there some way to label my partitions and disks to make it easier to find things. For instance, if I could call one "Windows 7 backup" rather than going by UUID or device name?
>>
>>58592228
Like this ?
>>
>>58592310
Woops, sorry, that was a misleading example. I'm trying to do this in Linux so when I type something like "lsblk" or "df" I can see the names.
>>
Any guides on what to do when I want to boot and repair from a USB but these options don't show up? It's just a black screen for me with "Unnmountable Boot Error"
>>
>>58592416
Never had problems with DVDs
>>
why do more people download mint instead of straight ubuntu if they're on the same version? (according to distrowatch)
>>
http://pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#utility
how do I install this USB fix for skylake?
I've already installed Windows, and the pastebin I posted is saying I can just use another OS to put the files onto my HDD with windows, but where do I put what?
>>
I want to learn objective c to make my own apps, would it be wise to buy an old apple computer and practice on it?
>>
File: 1481699346647.jpg (43KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481699346647.jpg
43KB, 300x400px
If I have a pirated copy of W10 do i need a third party activator to have it working like normal?
>>
>>58592416
Those options only show if you have a working windows install
>>
>>58592486
A lot of people dislike unity and some of ubuntu's choices, and don't want to bother with changing DEs.

>>58592533
Download all the relevant drivers for simplicity sake (at least usb and ethernet). You can stick them anywhere you can find them from windows. Either the root of your C:/ drive or right in your desktop folder works. Then boot windows like normal and install them.

>>58592759
http://pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
>>
>>58592792
My windows 10 started fucking up for no reason.

Some anons told me to boot from a usb but I'm not sure if I'm doing it wright, since I just get to a black screen (with a mouse cursor visible)
>>
>>58592533
is only for skylake or do you need to do that for older intels as well?
>>
AHHHHHH
I JUST WANT TO INSTALL DEBIAN
I KEEP GETTING ERRORS UPON LOADING IT IN GRUB
>Get stuck on loading please wait forever
>Reinstall it
>Still stuck and now it says something about blocks and files on sda6
>Turn off quiet and get nouveau error
>Disable nouveau
>Gets stuck right after udev kernel device manager, on "starting copy rules generated while the root was ro..."
>>
>>58592832
Will they install automatically? I can't get my mouse and keyboard working for this reason
>>58592886
I think its only for skylake
>>
File: c562aa8aa18d6332f9be06c9f548a347.jpg (111KB, 736x1038px) Image search: [Google]
c562aa8aa18d6332f9be06c9f548a347.jpg
111KB, 736x1038px
Can someone PLEASE just spoonfeed me a fix?

>Windows 10 started fucking up for no reason
>won't load up past loading animation
>restarts
>"preparing automatic repair"
>black screen (w/ cursor)

I NEED this computer to work.

I've tried booting through a USB but the same thing keeps happening (I might be doing it wrong, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong)
>>
can you use an hdd from a laptop in a desktop pc. also how to wipe an hdd.
>>
>>58593069
yes.
dban.
>>
>>58592945
You get zero response from your mouse and your keyboard when windows boots up? How did you get through the installation?

>>58592956
Try F8 or Shift+F8 as soon as you turn your computer on. If that doesn't take you to recovery options, make sure you are booting to the flash drive. You may need to access your bios. There should be instructions in your mobo/laptop manual.
>>
>>58592927
Run a disk check from a working OS.
>>
>>58593110
I don't have a manual or a laptop

how do I make sure I'm booting to the flash drive?
>>
>>58593074
thank you.
>>
>>58593125
Your motherboard has a manual. Google it. If you don't see a list of keys for bios/boot menu etc when your computer first starts, your manual will explain which ones to use.
>>
>>58593178
I saw the menu, but what should I do when I get to the bios?

also how do I find out what MoBo I have? It's been so long I don't remember
>>
>>58593196
There's a good chance there's a name or model number printed on the mobo, or you could identify it from linux. But if you've gotten into bios, just make sure usb booting is enabled if it's an option and set the flash drive to come before any SSD/HDDs in the system.
>>
why do people recommend rufus? it's absolute ass.
tried it four times, 3/4 times it got stuck on a file and never finished. meanwhile lili does it fine.
>>
>>58593244
because it's best.
>>
>>58593240
>just make sure usb booting is enabled if it's an option and set the flash drive to come before any SSD/HDDs in the system.
The USB shows up, but how do I make sure that it'll boot before the others?
>>
>>58593121
no errors
>>
>>58593110
I had no problem with installation or in the bios, or even when I first booted it up, but once I installed the drivers that came in a disc with my motherboard everything went to shit
>>
>>58593306
Check the hash on your iso, then try a different install media.
>>
>>58593284
Either select it in the boot menu or move it to the top of the list in bios.

>>58593328
Try booting into safe mode
>>
>>58593340
I tried a debian live usb, and then an installer usb with a good hash. what else could i try? i was using mint before this which just werks in comparison to this
>>
>>58593244
Find something better and let us know.

proptip: you won't.
>>
>>58593372
Could be a proprietary driver that's not included in debian by default. Ubuntu derivatives do tend to be a lot more smooth sailing right out of the box. What are you switching to debian for?
>>
>>58593467
>Could be a proprietary driver that's not included in debian by default. Ubuntu derivatives do tend to be a lot more smooth sailing right out of the box. What are you switching to debian for?

I just felt like trying debian, and I like it's free philosophy. the USB gave me even more issues

Anyhow, I fixed it. Despite disabling nouveau my GPU was still the problem (970). Unplugged my GPU and now it werks.
>>
>>58593368
Alright, I tried safe mode and I'm still getting the same problem
Still works in BIOS of course
>>
I have a pair of Shure SE215 but last week the cable stopped working. I use them to listen to music from my smartphone. I bought a new cable online and it arrived today but the new cable is also not being recognized on my phone. Using a different phone, the cable appears to
work. So what's the issue? My phone jack is in good health - other earphones work. Why all of a sudden does my phone stop recognizing the cable of my Shure SE215?
>>
where can I download a legit version of windows xp?
>>
>>58593642
Boot off of the install disk you used, click 'Repair your computer', next, 'System restore'. That should get you up and running, but make sure you use the drivers directly from the website after that.

>>58593620
Makes sense. Nvidia makes it super hard to develop non-proprietary alternatives to their official drivers.
>>
>>58593368
thanks, I'll try that as soon as I can
>>
>>58592751

PLS RESPOND
>>
>>58593807
Alright, well I got it working, but now I tried to connect an external HDD to bring in some files from the older computer. The problem is, the external hdd wasnt showing up, so I installed the USB 3.0 drivers off the website, and my mouse and keyboard no longer work
>>
>>58592751
>>58593927
no, apple hates backwards compatibility.
old hardware doesn't get new software so you'd be stuck with outdated ones.
>>
>>58593763
Find an unactivated copy then apply a legit key. You can buy a legit key off the back of an old laptop from eBay.
>>
>>58593763
https://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/5-Windows-XP-Previous-MS-Operating-Systems

Be sure and validate your email if you can't view the links.

>>58593953
So you've now messed up your system twice by installing usb drivers?
>>
>>58593997
I uh...
Yeah
How else am I supposed to get the HDD working? Works on other computers, mind you
>>
>>58594021
Was the problem just with that HDD or also with flash drives? Did you try finding the download page for your specific mobo model, rather than just the general brand?
>>
>>58594072
I hadn't tried any other flash drives, and all the drivers were for my specific model
Thread posts: 369
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.