[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Question General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 395
Thread images: 37

File: angry1.jpg (30KB, 720x392px) Image search: [Google]
angry1.jpg
30KB, 720x392px
It just werks edition
>>
Is it safe to do 8-bit HEVC encodes or are hardware decoders for that still rare on Android smartphones?
>>
>>58210400
>>
Recommend me a simple yet good text editor
>inb4 vim
>>
>>58210452
ed
>>
File: 1480455867934.gif (3MB, 500x540px) Image search: [Google]
1480455867934.gif
3MB, 500x540px
What would be the minimum CPU+memory combo to use Illustrator, Photoshop and some video editing software smoothly? Does the graphics card matter in this case?
>>
>>58210452
Gedit.
>>
>>58210470
There's a list of functions that have gpu acceleration somewhere, but in general the CPU is more important
RAM depends on the size of the files you're working with
>>
>>58210452
which OS?
Notepad2-mod for windows.
>>
What's a FAT32 partition and NTFS?
>>
>>58210470
GPU mostly matters for video software. Others like photoshop use CPU more. Get a CpU that has good single core performance, most likely intel i5 6500 or better. Also get 16 or more gb of ram if you want to use photoshop efficiently.
>>
>>58210497
Both are file systems.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS
>>
>>58210452
Notepad++
>>
>>58210397
Is hardware decoding on Android even a thing?
>>
>>58210497
Different hard drive formats
FAT32 is widely supported by is limited to max of 4GB file size
NTFS has limited support on OSes other than windows
>>
What is the best way to make a media center (for movies, etc)?

Is Kodi a meme? Do I need a raspberry for this or is an old computer fine?
>>
>>58210508
>>58210520

But what exactly do they do

-t. Fucking retarded
>>
http://i.imgur.com/Ta22TZ7.gif

This .gif is 6.90 MB. Why is it so big? I have gifs that are higher res, longer, and have more frames than it and are under half that size.

How can I make it smaller?
>>
>>58210534
manage how the files are saved on the disk.
what name they have
what change/modified dates they have etc.
>>
>>58210540
Bad compression per frame. Don't know any tools to compress it. But just google for gif compressor.
>>
>>58210532
A lot of people sound happy with their rasberry pi media centers and there's a shitload if guides for them.

>>58210547

Thank you. So a FAT32 partition just makes a copy of this and saves it?
>>
>>58210563
A copy? No, it's where the file is.
It's a file system. It stores files.
Like you copy a file to your usb-drive, a filesystem takes care that everyone knows where it is and what it's name is.
>>
>>58210552
Thanks. Online gif compressors are all making it look even shittier than it already looks. Any way to compress it and keep the quality how it is?
>>
>>58210596

Ok cool. I think I get it now.
>>
How do I get Android to remember sound levels? Or is it being reset by Llama every now and then? If so, how do I fix it?
>>
>Decide to update my pc
>old pc had pirated Windows 7, shitty seagate HDD (was supposed to be a backup external that I converted into internal), shitty gfx, i7 870 processor, and other shit
>worked beautifully but could not handle high graphics n shit.

>new pc
>fuckhuge case with 4 built in fans
>i5 6500 processor with new fuckhuge heatsink
>new mobo
>new psu
>new 1070 gfx
>same HDD
>8 gb ram like old one (but brand new RAM card)
>Windows 10
>chrome and games randomly freeze up and crash, with windows task manager not overriding, forcing me to log out and log in again just to exit a program.

Can anyone explain this shit? What the fucking fuck? Is this the power of Windows 10?
>>
>>58210452
joe
mousepad
>>58210481
notepad.exe
cat
>>58210509
>>
File: adblock-vs-ublock.png (255KB, 933x606px) Image search: [Google]
adblock-vs-ublock.png
255KB, 933x606px
How do I block the ads on 4fuckr.com without triggering the "You can not use this feature while Adblock is enabled. Sorry."? (It appears when using right-click which I need.)
>>
>>58210757
>trading a i7 870 for a i5 6500
>no SSD

You could have just upgraded your GPU and added an SSD to get more out of it.
>>
>ThinkPad T420
>i5-2410M
>4GB RAM
>SSD
>Windows 7 (need it for work)
>everything still slow as fuck

Why the fuck is this allowed? I would love to say the blame is on me and my old hardware but I'm sure it's the fault of incompetent devs who focus on making their shit shinier instead of optimizing it to run well. It's not like I'm trying to run new video games on the highest graphical settings.
>>
Is it an ok idea to change motherboard and cpu without re-installing windows?
Or is it possible to dirty re-install windows 10 without losing too much settings & data
>>
Hey can my r9 270x 4gb run 4k games on a 4k monitor well? Thanks.
>>
>>58210870
Does single digit fps count?
>>
File: 1467618039639.png (500KB, 700x908px) Image search: [Google]
1467618039639.png
500KB, 700x908px
Just how much worse is a TN monitor color-wise than an IPS one?
I'm looking for a budget 144hz 1080p screen but it seems I'm going to have to sacrifice nice colors for frames if I do that.

Also, I'm upgrading to a 1070 so I also am wondering if I'm going to suffer without gsync.
I was looking at the ViewSonic XG2401 since people said it has a better color profile, but the mediocre reviews here and there are starting to turn me off from it.
Is ASUS just the better option for 1080p 144hz overall?
>>
>>58210909
Ty. What's the minimum graphics card that is required to run this? Do I have to shell out big bucks for a 1080?
>>
Reccomend me an alternative to the Amazon Kindle Fire?
>>
>>58210936
I would say the bare minimum would be a 1070, and that would be for low-medium
>>
>>58210968
Thanks for the responses man.
>>
>>58210518
It is and has been since like 2010. I know most mid range phones like the J7 have 8-bit HEVC hardware decoding but not sure if most have this.
>>
I'm using Clover 2.1.3, the changelog for 2.2.0 says they've completely redone the thread watching, if I update it will I have to re-add all of them (/n/ has threads that last forever so I can't just wait until all of my current ones are archived)?
>>
I just bought a Bic F-12 subwoofer. Is it a terrible idea to place my turntable on top of it? It fits so nicely... Maybe with some kind of vibration reduction pad?
>>
My Tacens PSU died after just one year and I got the money from the warranty,
What are some actually good PSU brands to spend my hard-earned cash on ? Any good review site giving overall opinions on brands or at least warning wich ones not to buy ?
>>
>>58210811
bump

>>58210854
Is your question why everything is slow as fuck? For me - it isn't. Can you concertize what is slow? Do you have 9k programs and tabs open or what? For office and lurking should it be fast enough.
SSDs get slow when they are nearly filled. Is it that?
(Using your favorite Linux distro would speed your system up. Maybe you think about dual booting? Also you may ask /tpg/ for advise.)
>>
>>58210811
Did you try subscribing to this filter?

http://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/#filterlist
>>
Ok, I was wanting to dual boot windows 10 alongside my widows 7, but I was wondering if I could limit windows 10 to using only 1 or 2 of my hdd, but still have windows 7 using all of them.
>>
How do I change the emoticons in WhatsApp? I can't use it because the emoticons look fucking retarded.
>>
I'll ask this again:
Can someone share that one-liner to download all images in a thread using terminal.

I figured out that I need to use wget or some other similar tool, but dunno how to do it completely.
>>
>>58211507
I can't describe it any other way except saying that everything's slow, the stuff I expect to be (Adobe programs), and the stuff I don't (navigating the OS in general, every web browser, basic media programs etc). Everything takes at least 4-5 seconds to execute which just demotivates me from using it at all. Compared to my desktop where everything basically flies smooth as butter.
>>
Guys why arent my (You)'s working, when someone reply's to me all I see is the post with a dotted line underneath the number instead of a solid one.
>>
what search terms should I include when searching for a student course paper on google ?

e.g. NAT -cisco "course paper" ? to exclude all the cisco materials
>>
>>58211746
They just got rid of them, for everyone.
>>
are there any decent command line shells for windows? something that can be used with winxp is a plus.
>>
>>58211647
You can remove a drive letter in the disk manager. System will still application will not be able to access it.

It was possible in 7+xp, probably works with win 10 too.
>>
>>58210835
My new mobo did not work with old processor.
I didn't want to swap it out, either.

I'm STILL sad about it.

Do you think going SSD would fix the issue?
>>
>>58211746
Retards were using them as upvotes so they were removed. Install 4chan X if you want them back, which is where they originated from in the first place.

>there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who don't remember the time before (You)s
>even worse, the time before every-post-that-replied-to-this-one indicators
>>
>>58211903

What the fuck, why? It was an easy way for people to tell who was responding to them.
>>
if I know java and C++ what should I read or use to learn python quick
>>
>>58211735
Hmm. I tried on my T420s with nearly same specs and everything needs 0-1 up to 3 seconds (like Gimp). So, fast enough for me. (And I hate slow computers.)

Don't know desu. Either you try reinstalling your system and look if it's getting better or you install Linux or you buy a new computer. How many programs auto starts on your system? What do you mostly use? A reinstall often helps.
Better you ask /tpg/, I'm no expert.
>>
File: ss+(2016-12-28+at+02.27.44).png (8KB, 379x289px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-12-28+at+02.27.44).png
8KB, 379x289px
>need to chat with MS for a refund
>they need me to login with email
>once I do I have to put in my first and last name to chat
>both boxes are greyed out and I'm unable to enter name and therefore can't chat
What in the living fuck is going on?
>>
>>58212023
I'm going to reinstall and if that doesn't help, look into getting a new and bigger SSD since this one is pretty full, thanks.
>>
>>58210452
Micro
>>
>>58212255
disabled javascript?
too agressive adblocker?
>>
>>58210452
vim.
Very simple to do basic text edits.
Very powerful as you climb the learning curve.
The find and replace syntax is almost identical to bash history manipulation.
May as well start using vim.
>>
What [spoiler]fun[/spoiler] and exploitable things can I do with my new android TV?

record vidya games to an usb connected hard drive?
record tv-shows?
run emulators on it?
>>
anyone got that classic shell setup webm to make it look like windows 7?
>>
>>58211938
I'll try that, thanks.
>>
when will freesync step up to gsync level?
i want to get a new monitor and i'd prefer to get a freesync one but it looks to be quite inferior to what gsync offers
>>
What should I look out for when buying a hard disk? I need something ~2TB to store games on.
>>
How do online resumes work? I mean the ones that make me type in my resume rather than submit a pdf or doc file. Will an actual person read it or is it just automated and a computer scans it? If the latter is true, is there a way to "crack" the computer so it selects me?
>>
Hello.

I've bought a new computer mouse because my old one died.

I decided to go for the "Razer Deathadder 2013", because it fits my hands better than other mice I found in my local store and it was on the /g/ mice chart.

Now I wonder, do I need to keep this Razer Synapse software thing running for the mouse to function properly?

I adjusted DPI and turned off the logo light.

Hope to receive answer(s).
>>
Is the usage of molex to 6pin power adapters harmful for PCI-E graphics cards?
>>
>>58210811
Ublock works
>>
>>58211725
I think this is the one
wget -nv -e robots=off -rHDi.4cdn.org -nc -nd -ERs.jpg,html <thread>

If it doesn't work, replace
i.4cdn.org
with
is.4chan.org
>>
File: Unbenannt.png (5KB, 406x90px) Image search: [Google]
Unbenannt.png
5KB, 406x90px
>>58213201
Try clicking the right mouse button on the grey background.Other filters don't help.
>>
>>58213265
I was advising the original anon

From now on I'll be called Anomolous
>>
How do I check if my ssd freezes my pc?
Is there a software that monitor system errors or something similar? My system is Win 7.
>>
>>58213420
google "windows 7 resource monitor"
you can access it from Task Manager, it comes installed with windows
>>
>>58213420
Event Viewer
>>
File: Capture.jpg (208KB, 1425x1068px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
208KB, 1425x1068px
I can't open folders through this pinned menu in my Windows 10 task bar.

Help?
>>
>have 1440p chink monitor
>only has DVI-D dual link
>try overclocking it, can't get above 65Hz (I believe the max bitrate for dvi-d dual link is around 65hz 1440p)
would a HDMI to DVI-D dual link cable allow higher overclocks? HDMI I believe has a higher max throughput, but then again I'm not sure if my cable is 1.3 or 1.4 anyway
>>
>>58210365
If I got one of those universal Qi coils for my Moto g4 would it support turbo charge?
>>
My mobo has 6 RAM slots, for two triple channels.
I've got one set of triple channel RAM installed at the moment, 6GB.

I've got a pair of 2GB sticks, so would there be anything wrong with plugging those into 2 of the spare slots, for a total of 10GB RAM?
>>
How do I install MPV on windows without and scripts or compiling and shit? I just want a normal .exe
>>
>>58213884
https://mpv.io/installation/
>>
How hard would it be to pick up C# if all I know is Java?
>>
>>58214176
not very
>>
>>58214176
As someone who knows C# but no java you'll do fine.
It's almost the same besides some class/method names.
>>
is it normal that youtube has a slight delay after I play the video for a bit, pause, come back after some time and hit play again? I can't find anything on this on the web? is this some power-saving thing? I'm on a laptop with KBL i5 7200u (maybe because it's a "u"?) so youtube shouldn't really be a problem.

also, youtube feels very stuttery for some reason. it's not the buffer, the video is just chunky and drops frames a little bit too often. it worked way better on my old lappy with i5 3210m. does the power setting matter? I always have power plugged in, I never use it on the battery but I do have the power setting set to "ballanced".
>>
can I manually block ads in my home router if I don't want ads while watching on my phone?
>>
>>58214311
depends on your router.
some either directly support hostlist based blocking. others you need to manually block it in the firewall.
and the shit ones can't do anything.
>>
>>58214206
>>58214216
Thanks. I guess my next question would be what the best textbook or resource to learn C# is
>>
File: 1466574625829.jpg (33KB, 737x600px) Image search: [Google]
1466574625829.jpg
33KB, 737x600px
>>58214353
the archer c7, it's supposedly pretty good

>hostlist based blocking
thanks I'll look into it
>>
>>58214391
https://www.microsoft.com/net/tutorials/csharp/getting-started

otherwise I'd just start doing a project and then try to find the C# equivalent on how I'd do it in java.
>>
>>58214442
Thanks a million
>>
Do prebuilt PCs come with operating systems?
>>
>>58214647
Yes unless they're advertised as "barebones".
>>
Why do some ISPs not allow customers to use their own routers?
>>
chrome is freezing the system and hanging up with no errors -- including inability to bring up task manager, hard reset is the only option.
With most downloads (large or small, .jpeg, videos or programs, 90-95% of the time, first I thought it was something related to saving to a big reaction imgs folders I have, but even on newly created and empty folders the issue remains, sometimes, renaming the save file helps in preventing it, but not guaranteed, almost sure to crash if saving directly to the last saved folder (auto defaulted) and no renaming.

workarounds that I got from skimming google forums, redefine default config, create a new a user, disable hardware accel., clear cookies, delete user data/profile (appdata/local/chrome)... none is guaranteed to work. I believe that redefining the default config at the tools menu is the solution that seems to mitigate the problem most of the time...

this on a win7 fresh install. no AV but antimalware and ms security essentials.

this is a very old problem for what I've seen and I still couldn't find a consolidated place discussing it with a definitive solution or cause, old posts sub-2010 to last month.

anyone ever had the same problem?
>>
>>58214813
so they have total control over it.
>>
What OS do I need to use to be cool?
>>
File: winRAR_x.png (70KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
winRAR_x.png
70KB, 300x300px
>download a torrent
>its a rar
>open the rar
>a bunch of .xx files that need to be combined into a rar and then unrar'd

Is there a point to this shit?
>>
>>58214842
zip bomb
>>
>>58214824
for better clarity: chrome freezes and the system hangs after saving any kind of download, anywhere and a hard reset is the only way around it. The file always saves succesfuly at the correct location with no corruption after I check it after the reboot.
>>
>>58214842
scene releases are split into smaller parts.
So whoever made the torrent just made another rar out of them so you can have the "untouched" source rars.
>>
>>58210365
So I'm enrolled in college and I end up in harsh environments for work quite frequently.
Basically, I just need a Toughbook.
Do you guys know of a Toughbook equivalent that isn't several fucking thousand dollars?
I really just need a decently sized hard drive and the ability to run the latest version of word and have built in Wifi.
Any suggestions? Refurbished is okay.
I'm looking in the $500 range.
>>
>>58214942
Dell 6410ATG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4RR1V04529
>>
Would it be possible to shuffle chapters of MKV files? It seems like a neat idea to store TV series as one MKV file per season with one chapter per episode but I wouldn't want to do it if I can't shuffle it all with individual files.
>>
>>58215021
So, we actually had some of those and about half broke.
>>
If I install a new CPU and motherboard (amd to intel) will I have to reinstall windows?
>>
>>58215343
No. But you will need to make sure drivers and everything are deleted and then reinstalled.
I had the same installation on the same hard drive for like 3 years in 3 different systems.
>>
How can I change the appearance of the (embed) on 4chanX?
>>
>>58215343
Yes.

Only when you change motheboard is when you change motherboard under the same chipset is when you dont.
>>
>>58215641
can you make a screenshot or give an example of what you mean? which (embed)?
>>
>>58215749
This one
Just the line of text that reads "(embed)"

I think it's in .embedder but I don't know what I have to change
>>
>>58212284
I'm not that guy, but my T410 with the same-ish specs runs like a charm. Even stuff like Photoshop boots pretty quick.
>>
>>58215827
The fuck are you on a bout?
You click it to embed, thats all it is
>>
>>58213134
I have no experience with Razer products or anything, but I think that if you remove the software the mouse will still function, but the lights won't work and you won't be able to change DPI as easily.

Why don't you just try to use it with the software not running?
>>
>>58215894
I want to change the way it looks m8
>>
>>58215904
That's some next-level ricing right there
>>
>>58215641
>>58215827
>>58215904
.embedder { color: red!important; }
>>
is there a way to stop XDG compliant stuff from creating ~/.local?

or at least name the folder something else and just create ~/local since I like maintaining a folder where self-compiled stuff goes
>>
>>58211959
To be fair both of those features are/were extremely useful
>>
>>58216047
su
rm -rf ~/.local
mkdir ~/.local
chattr +I ~/.local
>>
Is there anywhere that still sells new 3.5 inch Sata II hard drives? My parent's computer needs one, as it has issues with Sata III drives.
>>
>>58214282
Do you experience the same issues on other streaming sites? In my experience the YT player is just shitty and acts up in weird ways for no apparent reason
>>
why do so many people who love taking it in the ass love python? also, why do no girls love python?
>>
>>58216067
that would just make the .local folder immutable though, wouldn't it?

wouldn't that break a lot of stuff?
>>
>>58216037
but what if I want to change the (embed) text itself?
>>
>>58216098
>break stuff
No.
It wouldnt be able to write and would just error out its self and move along
>>
>>58216070
Just get a SATA III controller
>>
>>58216115
oh boy, give me a minute.
>>
>>58216121
thanks, I really appreciate it
>>
I'm usually a very informed consumer but on the topic of e-readers, I'm clueless. Thinging of getting one & normally I'd research myself but I'm very pressed for time.

What is a "good" e-reader?
- Preferably with a somewhat established rooter-community
- If no root, preferably WITHOUT connectivity
- Do you use one?
- Which one & why that specific one?
- Any problems/issues/memes I should be aware of?
- Range: ~200-300 Hamburger Money
>>
>>58216115
>>58216135
.embedder {
width: 0;
display: inline-block;
position: relative;
overflow: visible;
color: rgba(0,0,0,0) !important;
}
.embedder:hover {
color: rgba(0,0,0,0) !important;
}
.embedder::after {
position: absolute;
left: 0;
color: initial;
opacity: 0.8; /* simulate the hover effect */
}
.embedder:hover::after {
opacity: 1;
}
.embedder:not(.embedded)::after {
content: "(open)";
}
.embedder.embedded::after {
content: "(close)";
}
>>
>>58216175
Not working 100%
>>
File: embedded.png (30KB, 539x82px) Image search: [Google]
embedded.png
30KB, 539x82px
>>58216235
Looks like this for me, not sure what to change.
You can try setting the width to 1px, 0 might collapse it weirdly in some browsers.
>>
>>58210365
>setting the width to 1px
did the trick
you're a true legend senpai, thanks
>>
>>58216120
But would this fix a known problem for this particular desktop of not detecting sata III drives? I don't care about speed, just reliability and not having to buy old junk drives.
>>
File: IMG_0857.png (745KB, 1280x1896px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0857.png
745KB, 1280x1896px
Serious stupid question here, is there a VPN that actually works on 4chan without a 4chan pass? If so what is it? I'm working on something.
>>
>>58216425
No
Moot hates freedom and privacy
>>
>>58215827
I don't see an example to try on on this page, but the ublock origin element picker will usually give you the correct handle.
>>
>>58210757

Could it be your HDD?
>>
>>58216047
If there's a specific folder you want to stop from being populated, delete it, and replace with a symbolic link to /dev/null. Usually werks.
>>
>>58216531
i think my question was unclear

what i want is an environment variable so .local is local instead
>>
File: 111232.png (233KB, 1371x561px) Image search: [Google]
111232.png
233KB, 1371x561px
Is the Rosewill Valens series of PSU any good? I'm sketched out by the lack of reviews and only 1 year parts warranty. I'd only be doing this to get a dank case for the same cost as a lower tier case and separate PSU.
>>
So, I got a PS4 for Christmas, along with the goofy little bluetooth dongle to use the controller with my PC.

The problem is I cannot get the motherfucker to work. Everything I can find online says I just plug in the dongle, then hold Share+PS button on the controller for 3 seconds, and it should flash until it connects, then the lightbar should go solid. But it doesn't do that- it just flashes for about a minute, then stops. It doesn't light up, and I have no idea how to check and see if my computer is actually 'detecting' the piece of shit.

Any suggestions? Worst case scenario I can just plug it directly in via USB, but I was looking forward to being able to use this stupid thing without wires.
>>
My computer works fine with no graphics card but does not post with my graphics card is installed. I also tried changing the main source of video to PCIE but my BIOS just reverts back to "Auto" when it restarts.

I want to make sure if there is anything I can do before resorting to updating the Bios.

Here are my specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MRyTZ8
>>
>>58214824
>>58214881
I'll try one bump.
>>
>>58216455
>Privacy
You mean evading bans
>>
>>58210365
Bought a 2560x1440p monitor:
Did I get memed?
>>
>>58216857
You can evade bans without a vpn/proxy.
>>
>>58216886
Maybe. Do you do photo editing?
>>
i installed ubuntu from windows 10
but i forgot to grub that shit
is there a way i can boot to ubuntu form windows?
>>
>>58216789
Uuugh. I got that to work- apparently I had to push the fucking USB dongle in and hold it for 3 seconds to hit some hidden button to switch it to 'synch mode'.

I've gotten the controller to 'work', in the sense that the computer detects it and I can use it to control Steam's Big Picture mode, but I guess I'm gonna have to install that "trick my computer into thinking it's an XBOX" thing after all because it works with -zero- games.
>>
How would you go about preventing overheating?
My old laptop has been turning itself off for, presumably, overheating. What could be done to prevent this?
>>
>>58217205
try to clean the fans. buy some of those laptop platforms with fans on the bottom
>>
>>58217205
Get that dust out of there first and foremost.

If problems persist, keep that bottom exposed and blast with fans. I'd also look into replacing thermal paste if its really bad.
>>
>>58210452
scratch
>>
>>58217056
no lol
>>
>>58217403
Welp. It's slightly above 1080p so enjoy.
>>
File: IMG_20161228_200245.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_200245.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
What's wrong with my monitor? There's some spot a bit up and a bit right from the center of pic related
>>
How can I connect my guitar to my computer with minimal latency and <$50?
>>
File: IMG_20161228_200613.jpg (2MB, 2688x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_200613.jpg
2MB, 2688x1512px
>>58217665
another pic
>>
>>58217665
>>58217710
if I can find my microscope I'll get an extreme close up but this is all I got for now
>>
>>58217665
looks like a manufacturing defect
>>
>>58217726
I got it refurbished though
>>
>>58210365
can my t420 run rainbow 6 siege
>>
>>58217755
That's probably why someone sent it back and they sold it to you.
>>
>>58217791
fuck. what do i do now
>>
>>58217776
yeah, solid 10 fps at 1200x600
>>
>>58217697
Cheap preamp or cheap USB audio interface with preamp
Or just plug it directly into your audio input
>>
I can't use Microsoft Zune anymore. I don't use Windows, and I don't feel like running a virtual machine just to use the portable device.

What cheap, portable music players are there for me to consider? I don't know were to begin looking. I'd prefer to have something FLAC-compatible, so I don't have to spend extra time transcoding.

>Slim/small
>supports 32GB+ of space
>nice, quick UI
>doesn't fuck up tags
>decent build quality with actual buttons
Any ideas?
>>
>>58217812
Deal with it or try to send it back
They'll probably be more stingy about returning a refurb
>>
>>58217854
>flac
>transcode
Flac is lossless,you dont transcode it
>>
>>58217854
Actually, let's go with 16GB as the minimum. I imagine most devices support higher capacities, anyway.

>>58217877
That's my point. If it supports FLAC, I don't have to transcode to other formats.
>>
>>58217876
I don't have the box
>>
>>58217888
You dont quite understand what a transcode is
>>
>>58217899
I don't think you have very good reading comprehension.

>>58217896
Well then your options are deal with it or try and pawn it off to someone else on craigslist
>>
>>58217877
lossless transcoding is a thing.
>>
My motherboard only requires a 4 pin cpu power connection but my psu has an 8 pin cpu power connector. I can get 4 of the 8 pin connector to fit into the cpu power socket. Is it gonna work or will it cause problems?
>>
>>58217970
Yes, usually they come in two parts so you can split off the half you need
>>
Is there a way to make hexchat not automatically timeout a few minutes after starting a download?
>>
>>58210365
Whats a good video editing software? I need to crop some black bars on a video and moviemaker wont help.

I have no budget, so it'd be great if its free.
>>
>>58218004
ffmpeg with crop filter
>>
MSI Z97 GAMING 5 or ASUS Z97-A USB 3.1?
>>
>>58218046
ASUS for USB 3.1
>>
>>58217710
>>58217665
If new its a factory error, something got between the panel and the glass.

If old one backlight LED died.
>>
>>58218056
I dont even have one USB 3.0 device, i care about everything else.

MSI makes good stuff but that motherboard has the Killer ethernet known for giving problems to everyone.

On the other hand ASUS has shady warranty but acceptable quality.
>>
>>58218065

Dead LED wouldn't look like that
>>
>>58217899
I think I'm being trolled. Can someone recommend a portable music player?
>>
I literally just rooted my tablet, and now I'm sitting here like an idiot going, "Now what?" Aside from a super user app that doesn't seem to really do anything an a root checker confirming that I am rooted, I see no difference. I just want to delete all the bloatware. Do I do that through a different app? The SuperSU app? Did I waste my time?
>>
What is the best graphics card I can purchase that will work with CRT displays without interfering with their response time/low input lag etc
>>
>>58218189
Anything, with cheapo DP or HDMI to VGA converter if required
>>
>>58218189
Anything with DVI-I is your best choice.
>>
Is there some advantage i5 has over i7? I always see i5 get name dropped in /g/ for custom builds.
>>
>>58218189
Anything with a VGA or DVI-A or I slot.
>>
Why isnt dual CPUs a thing when there are builds with 2-4 GPUs?
>>
>>58218344
the cpu is the hub of your pc, everything is designed to flow through it
you'd need new software and electronics for 2 or more
>>
>>58218335
Because most people dont need a i7.

The main difference between a i5 and a i7 is that the i7 has Hyperthreading and the i5 dont.

Most people buy a CPU for games, which almost no game use hypertreading so a i5 is way better option.
Those $100 in difference could be used on other stuff like in the GPU.
>>
>>58218344
They are a thing, I've got two dual CPU servers right next to me. They even make quad and octo-CPU motherboards
>>
>>58218344
Latency, inefficiency, Literally 99% of stuff designed to work on one CPU, even only on one or two cores.
>>
>>58218370
Thanks anon!
>>
>>58218410
If you are using a CPU heavy application that does use Hypertreading it is worth is price, for example rendering.
>>
>>58218004
openshot
>>
How do I get a stripped screw out of the side of an HDD? It's completely circular so I can't get a grip on it with any kind of tool.
>>
>>58218525
rubber bands
glue the screw driver
>>
my laptop came with windows 10 should I kill it and install win 7 instead?
>>
>>58218560
not every windows 10 laptop has support for 7 drivers
you're likely fucked in 2016 with a new laptop
>>
>>58218560
Unlike desktops you cant just make it work with windows 7.

If its new you probably will have use something like MSI Tools to add USB 3.0(AHCI) drivers to the windows 7 installer.

Everything else will work, worst case scenario is that the WLAN card will work in compatibility mode and give you one or two problems.
>>
can anyone recommend any books for learning calculus? preferably something that isnt just a textbook

i technically passed calculus 1 at my university but that was 4 years ago and now i have to take calculus 2 and im feeling like i should have taken calc 2 immediately after because i dont remember shit
>>
>>58210365
What's the best VPNs for Canadians?

I want to pretend to be American so I can violate our hate speech laws. I don't care about piracy.
>>
>>58218613
how about if I dual boot it, win 7/win 10?
>>
Can an AMD A8-6500 play 3D video? It has a Radeon HD 8570D.
>>
>>58218673
If you make another partition its possible.
>>
File: picture for ants of fb.png (214KB, 656x369px) Image search: [Google]
picture for ants of fb.png
214KB, 656x369px
Is there any facebook css for greasemonkey or whatever to fix pic related? I think it's 5:2 because of phones or whatever. I don't use facebook too much, but I need to becuase of work and the borders really piss me off.
>>
File: dataimg.png (21KB, 344x844px) Image search: [Google]
dataimg.png
21KB, 344x844px
So i have a bunch of strings, that looks like an incrementing or decrementing encoded string
CJ2rjd7R_tAC
CNWhuo6m2NAC
CMLwvqWrtdAC
CLbTvobA_s8C
CPidq_qnt88C
.... 28 other string ommitted ....
CLOc__2fuscC
CJ-D4IPSq8cC
CPTM1YeXmMcC
CIuGmPGA98YC
CP3g0aKk1MYC

It looks like its padded with C characters, this was decoded from a base64 string. This cant be base64 since it has - and _ characters. Pic related how it looks like if i visualize every character.

Can anyone give me hints where should i look for ways to decode this?
>>
how can i make it so that when i want to install basic software on a fresh windows installation i can install a bunch of programs automatically?
>>
>>58218644
Would also like to know for the same reason.
>>
>>58218623
/sci/ has a recommended books website on their sticky
>>
>>58218718
Personally I use Chocolatey. Search it up.
>>
>>58218187
any help?
>>
>>58218718
ninite.com
>>
We all know that advertised hdd space is larger than it really is. Do bigger storages lose more space because missing bytes keep adding up?
I know it sounds retarded, but it's 3am and I'm really tired but need to buy some hdds.

Same question deferent way. Do 2x1tb drives have the same capacity as a single 2tb drive?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3_Dj1VjPp4

Why am I aroused by this?
>>
>>58218750
not exactly what i wanted but interesting
>>58218774
thanks thats exactly what i wanted
is there any alternative that lets me package software myself instead of downloading from the internet?
>>
>>58218804
Not that I know of
>>
How come like 75% of the webms I view won't let me seek?
>>
File: 1391923226243.jpg (213KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
1391923226243.jpg
213KB, 1440x810px
Hey guys I got a stock CPU cooler from an older(5 years old) XPS 8300. I took good care of it but was wondering if I should use it in my new build?

Are older CPU fans even compatible with new motherboards and CPUs?
>>
What's a good epub/cbz reader that syncs progress across multiple devices(android phone/tablet/pc)?

I've been using google play books, but it will only let me upload files <100mb
>>
>>58218688
Also I don't need some sort of special monitor, right? Just a 3D TV will work?
>>
>>58218837
Not exactly.

You shouldn't use a 5 year old HSF.

Get a new one, a 212 EVO is $30 and intel HSF is free.
>>
>>58210506
6500 for productivity
ultra kek
>>
>>58218886
Thanks, it was probably about time to retire everything from the old prebuilt anyway.
>>
>>58218924
Dont cheap out on cooling if you are going to overclock and in PSU.
>>
Is daemon tools lite still swimming with malware? I need to mount a .cdi file and wincdemu can't do it.
>>
>>58218941
Yeah I'm surprised my computer hasn't blown up yet. I belong in this thread.
>>
recently, I just tried to install a linux distro on top of my existing distro. I added the option to encrypt the whole drive. Due to an operator error the distro was not able to install.

Now when I try to re-install with this distro or another it says there is a partition or swap that cannot be read. I can go into GParted and its shows sd1, sd2(ext), and sd5 which has the error. I assuming this was the partition that was trying to encrypt. How do I unfix this?
>>
>>58218987
Get rid of unneeded partitions and install
>>
>>58218972
Consider MagicDisc (not MagicISO, though it's from the same devs).
>>
>>58218972
it is
>>
>>58219005
ok. no need to format sd1 or anything?
>>
>>58219021
>on top of my existing distro.
Im assuming thats your preexisting install, dont fuck with it unless you dont need it anymore
>>
>>58219044
well, I'm done with Void so it is time for a new beginning.
>>
>>58219062
Nuke them all and fresh install on the drive
>>
>>58219074
now I'm left with /dev/sda1 (ex2) with 243 MiB and unallocated 365 GiB. everything good?
>>
>>58219212
sda1 seems to be your /boot, nuke it as well
>>
>>58219218
"an unsafe swap has been detected"
>>
>>58219268
A swap would never be that small kek
Just nuke everything and do a fresh install and repartition
>>
>>58219275
each time I go into Gparted and delete (apply operations) to each partition when I refresh it still shows all the partitions..
>>
>>58211746
You can get them back by adding this to your custom CSS:

a.ql-tracked {
border-bottom: 0;
text-decoration: underline;
white-space: nowrap;
}
a.ql-tracked:after {
content:" (You)";
}

You're welcome.
>>
>>58218711
Post tits and I'll tell you how.
>>
Should I buy a weaker laptop with a 256GB SSD, or a stronger laptop with a 1TB HDD? I'd like to be able to play games on it, but I don't really play new games or care to have high setting s graphics. However I am concerned that I'll use up 256GB quickly.
>>
>>58219687
buy and install the sdd yourself
migrate installaiton with clonezilla
>>
>>58219687
If you're buying it exclusively for gaming, then neither. Laptops are shit for gaming, period.
>>
>>58218340
>>58218288
>>58218317
That's the problem, it seems a lot of modern GPUs(GTX 1080) no longer have a DVI-I connector anymore. So I'm asking what can I buy that is powerful enough to the point that I won't have to upgrade for a while?
>>
>>58219687
Get the laptop you need for other stuff and play the games it happens to be capable of running. If you don't do other stuff, you don't need a laptop.
>>
just got pic related
how shit will it be to get started in programming?
>>
>>58219805
>red
looks realy fast anon
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My screen is fucked up
Wat do
>>
>>58219805
Looks like 1366 x 768 and mushy keyboard? It will be annoying to use without a better monitor and keyboard.
>>
How do I set up my lazy moron Mother's Ipad 2 mini so that she can organise her life, chores, investments?
I heard omnifocus is aight but £30..
As a android and windows using code monkey I only know limited much about helping old people with ipads.
>>
>>58219831
Try known good.
>>
>>58219824
>>58219845
Keep in mind, I got this for free. here are the specs.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-15-r030wm-15-6-pentium-n3520-windows-8-1-64-bit-4-gb-ram-500-gb-hdd/specs/
>>
>>58219887
not bad anon
the slow hdd and small battery might be the only issue
>>
im running motherboard integrated graphics ATI Radeon 3000 and i get HUGE (like 1 or 2 seconds) input lag in 3D games.
How do i fix? i installed the proper drivers in the AMD site (13-9-legacy)
>>
Why does MS keep fixing what isn't broken?
>>
>>58219854
Tell her the first step of getting her life on track is learning to use a piece of hardware literally designed for toddlers.
>>
I'm using
.ql-tracked:after{
content:" (You)"
}

to get (You)s back, and it works visually, but it seems the (You)s aren't actually part of the text, so I can't for example use CTRL+F to jump to them.

Does anyone know how to use CSS to add (You)s that are actual text elements?
>>
>>58220015
how to add this without needing to plug it into 4chan settings?
>>
Is torrenting anime ever met with a C&D from an ISP? Asking for a friend haha
>>
>>58216838
Plug into the PCI-E more firmly, ensure graphics card has power cables correctly installed. Updating BIOS is easy as fuck and you should do it anyway. You did good changing the default video source but it's actually totally unnecessary. Maybe disable the iGPU. enable XMP memory settings.
>>
File: you.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>58220015
(You)s still aren't working for you? They started reappearing for me a few hours ago.
>>
>>58220024
Why not plug it into 4chan settings? If you're not using the native extension, you must be using something like 4chan X, which supports (You)s by default.
>>
What motherboards can't get fucked in the ass by uefi
>>
>>58220056
I don't wish to have cookies and re-enabling it every time I turn on my laptop
>>
>>58213761
Don't. Most systems will fail POST (startup checks) if you mismatch channels, usually harmless.
>>
>>58220071
Yeah but my point is that if you have the native extension disabled, you must be using some other extension, right?
You're not browsing the site with absolutely no 4chan extensions active, are you?
>>
is anyone else having issues with autofocus on Firefox 50? doesn't seem to work for me
>>
>>58219887
>>58219805
should I downgrade windows 10 to something else?
>>
>>58213687
Check support information of both manufacturers..
>>58213192
No but a lot of PSU are garbage and their power output along various cables such as molex is limited due to engineering reasons. Check if your PSU has multiple rails and what the power output limitations are of different wires, that information will be on a sticker on the PSU. Underpowering your GPU will either cause poor performance or crashes in games or just a failure to boot. Usually not harmful.
>>
>>58220110
no no no
I use vanilla
just re-enabling it in settings from a thread when ever I open my browser again is tedious
same with legacy captchas
>>
Just get anything that was released in the last 2 years. You want sata 3 and 7200rpm for a desktop. Western digital blue or black, toshiba p300, hitachi, whatever.
>>
>>58212834
It's fucking not inferior. The clue to why you think that is in the marketing and names. Your shitty consumerism culture sells any bullshit it can name-drop or any statistic is can technically latch onto. G-sync has a greedy investor, nvidia. free-sync is back by Intel and AMD at no cost so no marketing bullshit on their end, only from monitors that can support said tech. It is actually nice to have.But the monitor manufacturers are only thinking of sounding competitive for the idiots that obsessively buy any buzzwords they hear is important.
>>
Will learning programming online prepare me for actual classes or bootcamps?

I just don't want to feel like I am wasting time.

I am having fun learning Java and HTML
>>
File: 2016-12-28-233157_731x544_scrot.png (76KB, 731x544px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-28-233157_731x544_scrot.png
76KB, 731x544px
Help, I'm trying to write a cover letter for a Help Desk position. I really want to nail it.

what do you guys think?
>>
>>58210912
You have too much fucking money for someone who doesn't know shit and doesn't know how to research. You're being propaganda fed by consumerist marketers who can tell you to worry about a bunch of features that you have no concept of.
You probably want some nice TN 1 to 5 ms input time 1440p monitor with OK reviews and if you think you can't afford a g-sync monitor then you should probably get an AMD card because yes sync technologies are nice and noticeable, much more so than 144Hz. All monitors usually have problems with lighting or colour in varous ways and in various scenes, IPS and TN. Feel free to go for 144hz anyway if you can make it affordable. TN to IPS colour is barely noticable unless side-by-side for most dinguses and not important for your CS GO and ARMA
>>
>>58211461
coolermaster
EVGA
corsair overkill overprice

>>58211714
they come out differently on different operating systems.

>>58211807
not specific enough or lacking context. Use IEEE or IET or BCS for finding research papers anyway. Figure out how to phrase your desired discovery properly, try jargon, try synonyms.
>>
>>58211974
Don't under estimate the documentation. Then look at some code. Then do some quick koans. Then some quick practice tasks. Then get some fucking patience and try to ham out some code, perfection=hesitation is for idiot but knowledge, research and patience make good engineers.
>>
>>58212904
just buy anything from the last 3 years and it will be 7200RPM (purely a drive internal concern) and sata 3. Toshiba p300, western digital blue or black, hitachi, i dunno
>>
>>58220226
my course tutors always told me to not bother learning in my spare time because they'll teach me everything i need to know then 2 years later they told me about all this shit I shoulda learnt in my own time and it ruined my academic career. Yes learn stuff for fun but learn transferable ideas and rules not specific syntax.
>>
is there any consistent way to launch games on a second monitor without manually changing the primary monitor?
>>
>>58220418
What do you mean when you speak of transferrable ideas?
>>
>>58213602
Depends on the HDMI. Search around on what HDMI your monitor supports
>>
>>58219011
Thanks, this worked with no issue.
>>
I'm getting connects errors on /adv/
idk why
>>
A boiled egg won't explode if you cut it in half before cooking right?
>>
>>58220843
I didn't know they exploded at all.
>>
>>58216653
Just replace it if you are very insecure.
>BeQuiet!
>EVGA
>SeaSonic
>SuperFlower somethin
>XFX
>FSP
>>
>>58220862
Yeah man boiled eggs are not to be fucked with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAuVsX3dTg
>>
>>58218833
File is probably too big or your inner net is slow af
>>
>>58220833
I tried a different browser, epiphany safari, and it worked
then I blocked ads in it and the images stopped loading plus the problem returned
the fuck
>>
>>58220015
Would like to know this as well.
>>
Is there any software out there, (maybe even windows?) that can specifically route where sound outputs through my computer?

I have my desktop setup through my TV in the living room where the family watches kid movies n' shit on it through the hdmi cable.
Any way I can route MPC through the HDMI cable to the TV, while running counter strike through my headphones?
Or is it all through hdmi, or all through headphones?
>>
>>58221176
you'd need another soundcard bb
>>
>>58213192
only if you share 12v lines (that is, if two yellow wires going to the gpu are connected to only one yellow wire coming out of the psu), then it will be out of spec and potentially dangerous
if done right, there's no difference
>>
File: help.png (609KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
help.png
609KB, 800x640px
are these bad?

i got this back in june
>>
>>58213602
from what i can tell, DVI-D dual link can do up to 330MHz pixel clock
i get 2560x1440@87Hz with a pixel clock of 327.99MHz
the question is whether your monitor can sync to 87Hz
>>
>>58218189
GTX 980 Ti i think
>>58218288
>DP/HDMI to VGA converter
that introduces display lag afaik
>>
Is there a not shit way to play Webm on iOS? I swear that last time I had an iPhone chrome supported playback natively. Unfortunately I've been having to copy and paste to third party apps since I switched back and that makes the whole experience really awkward. Also if I do save them are they still a usable file like gifs or does it just retain the thumbnail?
>>
>>58221502
You can save them with VLC
>>
>>58218004
ffmpeg
-vf crop=1920:800:0:140 #(example)
>>
i am not very experienced with linux. i had a laptop that i hadn't had use for after building my desktop so i was using it to experiment with linux. i started with arch. used ubuntu for a bit, couldn't get debian or gentoo to work right and now i was back to arch. i had a pretty good setup going and was trying to get some gamepads to work to play steam games and i fucked with a folder i guess i shouldn't have. i was trying to add another .desktop file to /usr/share/xsessions/ whcih only had one file in it called xfce.desktop. i had to mess with the permissions in order to add to the folder which i may have done wrong. after i did this i tried to put the permissions back the way i found them but when i looked in the folder after, neither of the files were readable and it said they didn't exist when i clicked on them. i then rebooted and thats when xfce completely disappeared. it greets me with a login screen but doesn't have an option to load a gui. logging in with the default selected brings me right back to login. ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling xfce and its dependencies several times and still the /usr/share/xsessions/ folder is still empty and i don't know how to fix it. id appriciate if someone had any tips on how to fix my error.

and yes im aware that i am retarded
>>
If I remove the hard drive from my laptop can it still turn on?
I'm going to have it repaired (screen is fucked up) and I'm a bit paranoid that the guy that repairs it might try to see my stuff ;_;
>>
>>58221581
yes, it will POST without a hdd, and can even be run entirely from another storage device (USB drive, optical drive, PXE network, etc)
>>
>>58221581
Why do you have a laptop hard drive not encrypted in 2016?
>>
File: thanks front page.png (81KB, 374x390px) Image search: [Google]
thanks front page.png
81KB, 374x390px
When creating an image backup I'm guessing the cd key is copied too? Long story short: Uncle is an impatient old fart, will replace his HDD with an SSD to boot up Windows quicker but doesn't have the DVD it came with his PC.
>>
>>58221052
I found out ublock origin is preventing me from posting on /adv/
>>
Are laptop chargers universal? The charger that comes with my XPS 13 is straight and I really wish it was 90 degrees bent.
>>
>>58221560
>i'm not experience with linux
>installs arch
>fucks it up
I don't know what to say anon
install ubuntu or a ubuntu variant
>>
>>58221740
As long as the output voltage/amperage is the same, and the connector fits, I don't think you'll have a problem using a different charger.

You can see the output voltage and amperage on the charger brick.
>>
>>58221740
If the output voltage is the same or very close, and the connector fits, it will probably work. It helps to have enough amps too.
>>
File: 1465440371435.jpg (88KB, 617x576px) Image search: [Google]
1465440371435.jpg
88KB, 617x576px
>Trying to install windows 7 from a USB onto a new H170 board.
been through the trouble of putting usb 3.0 drivers on the iso

But now that it's installed and at the final stage of finishing it hangs at "windows is starting"

What do? already set boot mode to legacy.
>>
>>58221779
Don't install Windows 7 at the end of 2016.
>>
File: 1479258698156.jpg (18KB, 451x451px) Image search: [Google]
1479258698156.jpg
18KB, 451x451px
>>58221733
I have no idea how to trouble shoot this
I've never had an issue before with ublock
>>
>>58221761
the voltage has to be the same, the amps on a new charger has to be equal to or greater than the original
>>
Does the U.S. produce enough nuts for its entire population to have a quarter cup each day? Could it?
>>
>>58221788
They haven't released anything better.
>>
>>58221581
>>58221598
Great and how much of an expert do I have to be to remove my hard drive and not fuck it up? I heard they're fragile
>>58221652
I'm encryption illiterate
>>
>>58221830
>I heard they're fragile
Only when running, since being jostled can cause the needle to scratch the disk.
Otherwise it'll be fine as long as you don't drop it.
>>
>>58221861
>needle
>>
>>58221754
i installed it just fine and it was working great. but i fucked up. i tried ubuntu and didn't like it.
>>
>>58221878
try elementary
or ubuntu mate
>>
File: My_Pretty_Seahorse_19.jpg (103KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
My_Pretty_Seahorse_19.jpg
103KB, 720x540px
I got an imac last year for Christmas, but I barely use it. The only thing I really like about is the pretty 4k resolution, but there aren't really any good programs to utilize it, and bootcamp gaming on it is ass...should I just sell it and use the money to build a more powerful PC with a 4k monitor?? Or should I just keep it and save up for a new PC later? I'm having abandonment issues with it.
>>
>>58221830
>Great and how much of an expert do I have to be to remove my hard drive and not fuck it up? I heard they're fragile
just have to not be a total klutz

that is;
- don't touch the circuit board underneath with bare hands
- don't shake it
- don't drop it
- don't knock it
- store it somewhere dry and cool, ideally in an antistatic bag, do not place it on carpet, clothes, etc
>>
>>58221893
sell it to some schmuck. It's only as useful as the programs it runs, unless you want to put windows on it.
>>
>>58221904
note that "dry and cool" isn't that strict, just like, don't put it in a water heater cupboard, or a fridge/freezer
>>
>>58221893
the best part of macs is they keep their value, i'd sell it and get something you want

>picked up a 2010 macbook because a friend was selling it pretty cheap at $300
>sold it a year later for $600
>>
>>58221930
>>58221954
thanks, i think i'm gonna throw it on craiglist
>>
>>58221893
If you think you'll be developing for Apple operating systems it may be worth keeping. Or you could just get a Mini when you need it. Or maybe you just want to use certain proprietary software and not deal with Microsoft's shenanigans?
>>
>>58221893
if you don't like it sell it
macs sell really well, even old ass c2d shit from 2009 can pulls hundreds of dollars
you could low ball and walk away fast with a nice pc
>>
>>58221985
he could build a pc with hackintosh support in mind, so he can keep dual booting with osx
>>
>>58221985
don't suck some kid on /g/ into your gay apple cult
he wants to play video games and posts spongebob, let him flip him and walk away happy
>>
>>58221891
honestly at this point ive put so much effort into this that i don't want to start over. it was such a pain in the ass to install
>>
>>58222042
minimize the partition and come back to it if it's so precious
you could try friendly linux gen, but they have a hardon for harassing arch noobs in over their head
>>
>>58222042
>sunk cost fallacy
Your effort doesn't mean you did anything. What you have there is no more useful than a default Ubuntu install, and will only consume more of your time if something breaks.

>have ubuntu install itself in two minutes
>git pull my dotfiles and copy over keys
>apt-get install whatever software I need right now
>blank drive to productive in ten minutes
>>
File: 1465792362140.jpg (39KB, 374x347px) Image search: [Google]
1465792362140.jpg
39KB, 374x347px
I bought my first webcam to do lewd gay sex shows.

Can it actually be remotely hacked? I've heard conflicting things but mainly I see you need to be phished or whatever, which I'm not worried about.
>>
File: SSD Gparted.jpg (997KB, 1500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
SSD Gparted.jpg
997KB, 1500x2000px
What the fuck happened to my SSD? It's only like a month or 2 old, only ever threw some games on it
>>
>>58222146
Yes, but generally no.
>>
Why can't I connect via ssh to my computer from work? It works from mobile internet, so it's not a problem with my network. I've tried different ports - 22, 80, 443 and other high ones to no avail.
>>
>>58222174
A firewall at your workplace is blocking it?
>>
>>58222174
idk anon, why can't you
firewall? correct? ip? does it even recognize you trying to connect and just -bfffts- on you?
>>
>>58222146
Easily hacked, they're going to out you and find where you live.
>>
>>58222146
you have no idea anon-kun
https://www.insecam.org/
>>
>>58222251
lots of people buy IP cams, and just plug them in and port forward/use UPnP and touch nothing else, leaving it either wide open or with default authentication
>>
>>58222196
>>58222214
But internet works so 80 or 443 should work? How else could it be blocked? The connection just times out.
>>
>>58222280
The firewall is smart?
>>
>>58222251
what. the. fuck.
>>
>>58222280
they could be explicitly blocking your servers' IP
have you tried hosting a regular web server to see if that works?
>>
>>58222093
i don't really need the computer for anything. im just goofin off. i was really just asking for a solution to the specific problem i had. i don't need to be told that there are easier distros. i know there are
>>
What's a distro that's relatively secure and wont steal my data and get me fucked up online?

Using ubuntu gnome but being a derivative of the already questionable ubuntu, I already don't use my primary email addresses on them.
>>
>>58222146
There was a cam site where I could view the cams even when they thought they weren't broadcasting
Not exactly the same thing since they had to be logged in and encoding video for it to start, but I could still view it even if they were 'on break' or offline on the site until they closed the encoder.
>>
>>58222297
How to bypass it then?

>>58222303
I'll try that. Also when I type website.com:80 in browser it doesn't work but website.com works. Is whole http on another port on this network? Is that even possible?
>>
is /sqt/ a part of the "no tech support" rule for /g/?
>>
>>58222385
that rule doesn't exist since it is barely enforced
this is a community attempt to combat the issue
post whatever really
>>
>>58222384
maybe you can only access the internet through an internal/transparent http proxy
>>
File: ayymd.png (29KB, 727x365px) Image search: [Google]
ayymd.png
29KB, 727x365px
>>58220868
If i'm not going to use the PSU i'm not going to get the deal. It's out of my budget. I was just hoping I could score a higher-end case and reliable PSU that won't set my house on fire for a super-tight budget build.

Trying to replace pic related for under $800CAD.
>>
>>58222152
Am I just fucked?
>>
>>58222146
Just unplug it afterwards,

Also fucking why? are you at least cute traps?
>>
>>58222389
well, i have a 5 year old acer aspire v3-471 laptop that's giving me problems

it was giving BSOD at first, and booted into recovery. so i tried different things, but now the screen backlight won't even turn on startup. can't tell if the hardware just fucked up now

i'll greentext the list of things I did
>automatic repair: couldn't repair PC
>refresh/reset PC: "the drive where windows is installed is locked"
>bootrec.exe from cmd (thought it was a mbr error): bootrec not found
>boot from USB: first, i fucked up because i put the installation media instead of recovery media. so i made the USB a recovery drive, and it was really slow to boot into recovery. eventually it booted but it crashed after selecting which keyboard layout
>change bios boot priority for the USB to be first, and Windows Boot Manager to be second

Then at some point, the laptop won't even boot. No logo splash or anything, no screen backlight either. Sometimes it would turn off by itself after a minute
>try to boot into BIOS: won't work
>Create a bootable BIOS USB with the files extracted: Nothing, the Esc+Fn thing did nothing too
>Create a bootable installation/recovery USB: nothing
>disassemble and check: all the cables were intact, even the HDD

Now I'm not sure if this thing is still fixable, or if the hardware is done for good
>>
>>58222409
Is there a solution to this? I just want to tunnel my shit through ssh
>>
>>58220334
The whatsapp icons don't match my OS icons though.
>>
>>58222510
perhaps try one of these
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HTTP_tunneling
>>
Thanks anon, you had to use
is.4chan.org
after all!
>>
>>58222152
>>58222467
Try unplugging all of your hard drives from your computer, boot into BIOS, then shut down, plug everything back in, boot again.

My mobo creates weird errors like this sometimes and that seems to fix it. If the drive is detected at all then I don't think it is dead.
>>
>>58222328
Only some free components of Unity do that. You can opt out. Nothing is hidden. Because it's free/libre software.

https://fixubuntu.com/
>>
>>58210365
can anyone tell me if an Intel 600p series SSD is compatible with my sabertooth x58 motherboard? I don't see the proper port anywhere on the board, starting to think I bought the wrong ssd
>>
>>58222809
No your motherboard won't have an M.2 slot, but you can get a PCIe to M.2 adapter
>>
>>58222146
Ok, how do I disable the audio permanently? I'll never use the audio.
>>
>>58222837
Open the camera and physically disconnect the microphone
>>
>>58222834
yep, I see now that this was a very google-able question. Can't wait to throw more money at my problems to make them go away. Thanks anon
>>
File: 54267.png (331KB, 666x445px) Image search: [Google]
54267.png
331KB, 666x445px
>>58222844
bro...

let me change the question. How can I lock my webcam down? Encrypt it.
>>
>>58222864
Secure your OS
>>
File: 80-80-press-nano.png (30KB, 533x400px) Image search: [Google]
80-80-press-nano.png
30KB, 533x400px
Red pill me on the NanoStation 5.
Do I need to update it's firmware?
>>
>>58223067
>Red pill me
No. Try again.
>>
>>58223086
Is it true that you need to upgrade the firmware regularly?
>>
>>58223091
It's usually good to have the latest version on networking stuff. Do it as convenient.
>>
I have a SATA 2 hard drive instead of SATA 3, some old Maxtor 150 GB hard drive
Can this cause any issues in a modern motherboard?
>>
>>58223102
>it's usually good to have the latest version on networking stuff
even wireless broadband device?
even routers?
>>
>>58223126
no
>>
>>58222251
How do I record from this site?
>>
File: 1478829415592.gif (3MB, 294x227px) Image search: [Google]
1478829415592.gif
3MB, 294x227px
picking out a new graphics card, specifically one for a dual monitor setup, I've got some choices and I need some extra opinions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487248&cm_re=NVIDIA_GeForce_GTX_1070-_-14-487-248-_-Product

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137023&cm_re=AMD_Radeon_RX_480-_-14-137-023-_-Product
>>
is there any list of specially shitty brands to avoid when buying PSU? i know Tacens did some shady shit with fake 80 plus stickers for example.
>>
>>58223311
>>58223311
>>58223311
>>58223311
>>
>>58210365
Currently have an AMD 8350. I want to get an 9590. It has the same socket type & everything. Would I have to re-format my HDD? I've looked it up online and I'm still not sure.
>>
>>58224021
no
Thread posts: 395
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.