[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SQT/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 352
Thread images: 43

File: mfw-sinatra.jpg (296KB, 992x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mfw-sinatra.jpg
296KB, 992x1200px
/SQT/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last Thread: >>57455095
Two Threads Back: >>57449390

If you can't be bothered to Google it

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, it's very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.
>>
how do i delete an non-empty directory through terminal?
>>
>>57463461
rm -rf directory
>>
>>57463461
rm -r [directory]
>>
How can I make config files persistent on a live usb distro ?

I thought about putting the files in the persistent partition and make symlinks to them. But I'll have to remake all those symlinks after each reboot, right ?

So, do I have to change the iso so it runs a script during boot ?
Or is there an easier way ?
>>
>>57463619
When I used liveUSB putting ubuntu onto a live USB, it did it automatically
>>
>>57463451
OP let's manage SQT together. I am last threads OP, we can probably make a better post as well. We can take turns updating the thread and answering questions and shit.
>>
Setting up a Wangblows backup drive. Would there be any reason to use NTFS if I'm just backing up files to it? My understanding was NTFS is only used if you want to install (Windows) programs to it, otherwise exFAT would be ideal for compatibility.
>>
tried to load a plug in to photoshop and this popped up

virtualPhotographer NO VERSION - - from the file “virtualPhotographer”
virtualToBatch NO VERSION - - from the file “virtualToBatch”

what do
>>
Using the power plan options for windows I set my CPU capacity from 0% to 99% to avoid the self-overclocking.

I do this under the impression that it can keep my laptop cooler. Is this correct?
>>
having trouble installing a filter to photoshop cc 2015
>>
>>57463461
rmdir
>>
>>57464043
you just have to believe in yourself.
>>
>>57463676
that's a stupid idea. Just make a new thread when it reach the bump limit or if you see the thread doesn't exist.
It's not like the flt or some other thread where you might have basic questions or needs to tutorials...

If you want a better post, tell people to kill themselves if they don't google their questions first
>>
>>57464079
Ok
>>
Girlfriend went to another country to do 6 months of computer science. Going to join her next week. What would be a nice present ? I need more ideas.
>>
AAAH FRANKIE SINATRA
AAAAH FRANK SINATRA
>>
>>57463451
Hey guys. What software do i have to get to create an ios fighting game? I have most of the design and concepts written out. I know people that can help me with the music, animation and art, but what program (or language?) do i have to use?
>>
Will changing my hostname in Arch Linux harm anythin?
>>
Are there any downsides to using internal hard drives as an "external" hard drive with a SATA to USB cable, from a reliability and convenience standpoint?

I'm going to do a clean install on my laptop but the only extra hard drive I have is the one I replaced with an SSD, so I plan on just using cloning software to put all my data from my SSD to the HDD because I can't be assed to go through every little file I want to save.
>>
>>57464393
gaming pc
>>
>>57464455
objective-c ?

>>57464472
no

>>57464051
it shouldn't work if the directory isn't empty.
>>
>>57463451
How much can explorer.exe be customised? How difficult is it?

There are many things I don't like about it, but most of the ones I saw in >>57449066 seem too messy, as if every feature needs to be visible in the main window. Can they be customised to hide most of these features?
>>
I am trying to pin firefox portable to the quick launch bar but it keeps opening different instances of the browser, the icon doesn't change to replace it with the active window.

I ran into this problem before and fixed it, how do I do this again? I am guessing the exe I pin is a launcher but the other 2 exes in subfolders launch a default browser without my real profile (no favorites, etc).
>>
what's a good case for 2-way sli setup? Currently have an h440, but theres zero clearance between the bottom card and the psu shroud.
>>
How do I cast a Youtube video to my Android TV from Firefox on my PC? Pic related.

>>57464480
No. Most if not all external HDD drives on sale are just SATA HDDs with a SATA to USB adapter.
>>
>>57463451
Adblock plus in firefox is fucking up Youtube, however it's fine in Chrome, but fuck Chrome

How to fix
>>
>>57464496
Already thought about it when zen comes. The problem is that she lives on a small place and a laptop is just better for everything. She already have a laptop.
>>
>>57463451

How can I have a bunch of random people go to my web dev project and just submit a bunch of random votes/polls so i have data to work with?

livepoller.herokuapp com
>>
>>57464855
>Already thought about it when zen comes. The problem is that she lives on a small place and a laptop is just better for everything. She already have a laptop.

gaming laptop :DDD
>>
Is there any downside of buying a micro atx motherboard?
>>
I am on a new PC win7 (GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5) and getting clicks or quick pops when a sound starts playing (windows explorer clicks are quite annoying). Once the sound starts playing for more than half a second it sounds fine at least on youtube or in foobar (though both suffer from the same pops or noises when first starting or stopping the audio streaming including seeking).

I don't know if its the audio driver considering win7 default audio was clicking even before I installed the realtek/creative third party ones.

How would I go about narrowing things down or eliminating them? would a dedicated sound card fix this? Would be a shame, sounds great when music is actually playing as long as there is no repetitive quick explorer sounds.
>>
Why the fuck is my cpu at 55 when I installed a 212 evo cooler and everything is spinning at turbo with just steam and a browser open

what the fuck
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/v8JBTH
How is this build? Plan to use it for light gaming, web browsing, and drawing. I'm at my maximum budget with this, I can only go very slightly higher, but I'd prefer not to.
>>
Can I create a liquid cooling setup where the radiator lies outside my house? It makes no sense for the computer to exchange heat with my climate-controlled room.

How do to this?
>>
>>57465121
You didnt mount it properly
You pasted it poorly
You're using your computer,so you're going to generate heat.So stop doing that and it will be less hot
>>
File: 1472511569759.jpg (140KB, 720x1230px) Image search: [Google]
1472511569759.jpg
140KB, 720x1230px
How can I run my CRT monitor on full resolution (1600x1200 pixels) on Windows 7.

I swear I've been looking for an answer. Here's what I'll tried so far:

- Change drivers from generic to generic super VGA
- Use the monitor drivers (Sylvania F96)
- Click 'List not recommended resolutions' (or something like that) and the only listed not supported options are variants of 1080p

And nothing works. AND WHAT'S MORE, this fucking retarded thing that happens from time to time without warning: The monitor changes (or rather, starts up) as 1600x1200, BUT when I go into resolution options the fucking thing changes itself back to 1280x1024 (which is what it recognizes as max). Ha, ha. What the fuck. I swear I'm not crazy, fucking thing sees me taking a look at it and suddenly remembers it has to shit on me as a ritual.

Linux has no problems with this, btw.
>>
>>57465314
go to your amd/nvidia/cru options and make a new resolution setting
>>
>>57465203
>get powerful pump
>get long tubes
>???
>condensation
>>
>>57465346
Hmm is it really that simple?

Where does one study this? I need to figure out what I need, how to make it safe. Don't wanna fuck my computer because of a leak or something.
>>
what's the best way to type in japanese on a linux machine?
>>
>>57465203
Put the computer outside of your house and use an CAT-7 cable video extender, and active USB extension cables.
Total silence.

30-40 meters are no problem.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (271KB, 1937x1217px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
271KB, 1937x1217px
>>57465118
I am trying to work through this and found out about LatencyMon. The results look off to me but I don't know how to interpret them as I am in over my head.

http://pastebin.com/HdRW4ZD8
>>
>>57465363
It would be pretty much the same as any other custom water cooling loop, the issue is that the negatives generally outweigh the positives.
If its hot outside then your cooling will be less effective, if its cold outside you run the risk of condensation inside your computer, if its freezing outsize then your radiator will freeze if the pump isn't running.
Also compromising the insulation of your home by running the tubes through some hole offsets any potential reduced need for cooling indoors.
>>
File: 1454297120090.jpg (571KB, 2658x2201px) Image search: [Google]
1454297120090.jpg
571KB, 2658x2201px
I need some computer/technology related article I can summarize in about two pages without stretching too thin or skipping a lot of stuff.

Anyone have anything?
>>
>>57464508
does objective c cost money? and can i run it on windows?
>>
>>57465439
http://www.salon.com/2014/08/04/is_this_the_future_of_sex_what_i_learned_from_trying_a_remote_controlled_robotic_sex_toy/
>>
>>57465384
It's not just about silence, it's about improving the efficiency of my air conditioner. Well to be quite honest I'm curious about how far I can take this.

Putting the entire case outside the room would be way too inconvenient. This is not a server. I access it directly and frequently enough to matter.

>>57465396
>If its hot outside then your cooling will be less effective

I suppose. Depending on the season temperature can reach 40 °C.

Assuming there is a graph of ambient temperature and heat exchange efficiency, I suppose I can determine whether that will be a problem with a simple worst-case analysis.

I always choose components that perform well-beyond my actual needs for this reason.

>if its cold outside you run the risk of condensation inside your computer

That can't be good. I need to know under which conditions this can happen.

>if its freezing outsize then your radiator will freeze if the pump isn't running.

I don't live in an environment where it is ever freezing outside.

>Also compromising the insulation of your home by running the tubes through some hole offsets any potential reduced need for cooling indoors.

I don't think my house has any insulation. The air conditioner that was installed already required a pretty impressive amount of pipework so it's not unreasonable to think a bunch of tubes are going to make any difference.

Also I wonder if this liquid cooling equipment is designed to last if exposed to the elements
>>
>>57464508
misread the question.
>>
File: car radiator cooling.jpg (970KB, 3013x2859px) Image search: [Google]
car radiator cooling.jpg
970KB, 3013x2859px
>>57465485

Condensation occurs when there is enough of a temperature differential and humidity, so if the water coming into your computer is below ambient then it can cool the water block to a temperature where moisture in the air will condense

As for your radiator being weatherproof, you don't have to go with standard watercooling components
>>
>>57465446
kek
If it wasn't from Salon I would probably actually try that.
>>
When plugging in front panel cables, does it matter what direction the text/labels are facing?
>>
>>57465650
For LEDs, yes
For swiches/buttons. no
>>
>>57465661
>For LEDs, yes
So should the two Power LED labels be facing down, up, left or right? In case I was unclear, I know that the + and - have to go in different spots and I know where those are already.
>>
>>57465713
check your motherboard manual
>>
I have a remote cloudlinux server with no root access, and no package manager

is that possible to install rtorrent on it from scratch without root access? I do have compiler and interpreter working
>>
Latencywise is socks4 better than socks5? or is the different is only on security detail?
>>
Alright /g/, I rarely come here but I have a question concerning my build.
A few years back I put together a cheap pc to use for gaming, and I was on a budget so I didn't invest in cooling.
I also didn't buy a graphics card and bought an APU instead.

Now I've had this problem for a while where my PC freezes randomly, no blue screen, or any messages.
It just freezes, even the capslock and numlock lights don't turn on when it's frozen.

I decided to look into it a bit and downloaded speccy, and when I looked at my CPU temperature it said it was at 89-94 Celcius.
Is this bad?

Should I get a cooling system?
>>
I won 5k betting on the presidential election. I can cash out in bitcoin for no charge from the betting site. They give the option of a bitcoin wallet, or depositing it into a bitcoin bank. Which is better and easier to spend?
>>
>>57465485
Why not try first moving the radiator to the aisle or something? if the AC is only for your room?

Hope I made myself clear
>>
>>57465821
If those are your real temps then yes that's pretty bad, but speccy has been known to give inaccurate readings for AMD.
>>
>>57465821
windows?
clean reinstall first
>>
>>57465828
AC is only for my room. Moving it to the aisle is also acceptable.
>>
>>57465827
You want to keep it in your own wallet, I wouldn't trust a bitcoin bank.
>>
What fonts should i use in Firefox to make them not-ass? Trying to get openbox to look pretty is painful. For some reason, they look fine in both MATE and GNOME at their default, but in Openbox they like shite. Why?
>>
File: bet.png (12KB, 1118x305px) Image search: [Google]
bet.png
12KB, 1118x305px
>>57465827
pic related. trigger warning for globalists
>>
Gonna buy 2 1440p 144hz monitors, I sit like 50-60 cm away from the monitors, what size should I get 24 or 27?

If 24", gonna be 2 monitors
If 27" only one
>>
>>57465870
I would say 27" but having two monitors is nice too.
>>
File: current specs.jpg (92KB, 677x535px) Image search: [Google]
current specs.jpg
92KB, 677x535px
>>57465846
>windows?
yeah I'm running 7, I'll just post my specs
>>
Is this what it would be like in 4chan mansion? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUlP_l3odjo
>>
>>57465902
If it's that hot, the cpu fan should be runing at full blast and loud as hell. If it's not, then speccy is wrong.
>>
>>57465863
ok, makes sense since they're probably not fdic insured.
>>
Why are AMD and Lenovo so incompatible with each other after the recent driver and Windows updates? Is there any way to make Windows and AMD play nice with each other again so I don't have to deal with Windows Explorer going through an infinite crash loop on startup?
>>
>>57465943
Seems like this might be the case then.
Thanks, I'll check the other parts to try and figure out what's causing my freezing issue
>>
>>57463451
Opera and Edge show youtube comments like usual. Username at the top comment underneath etc.

Firefox shows the username under the comment.

What is happening?
>>
>>57465922
Si
>>
Real stupid question.

Trying to copy music files over to my phone but it doesn't copy over information like artists, song length, artwork etc...

Why would this happen and how would I fix it?
>>
just recently built myself a pc but now when i play a game the screen lags and my speakers make a buzzing sound how do i fix it?
>>
>>57463451
So my friend tried cleaning out his PC and for some reason when he rebooted his computer his ram usage skyrocketed. There doesn't seem to be anything running besides essential things and he doesn't think it's a virus. Any advice, /g/?
>>
From what I understand, replacing a dead motherboard will fuck up Windows 7. How can I avoid/fix that? I don't have an optical drive by the way.
>>
I'm having trouble with hashtables/hashmaps.
I understand that they have keys and values that are meant to make look up faster, but how does it actually work in a program? If I have a list of cities, how would I use a hashtable to make it faster to find? I would make the first letter of the city the key then the city is the value?
>>
>>57463782
permissions, maybe?
>>
>>57465870
I think two 24s would be better. If you're a gaymer, there's some games that can be configured to put a viewport on each monitor so you can play with your bf.
>>
File: 2016-11-10-214503_315x106_scrot.png (10KB, 315x106px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-10-214503_315x106_scrot.png
10KB, 315x106px
So I'm writing something in Python 3 that takes the words in a text file, sorts them alphabetically, then outputs the sorted words to a new file with their number of appearances beside them.

It's all working right except the number of occurrences doesn't show up. Here's the relevant lines, what am I missing? Shouldn't the [i] in oFile.write(oList[i]) put the number beside it?
>>
>>57466578
you need to rethink this
>>
File: Grit_Bluesky.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Grit_Bluesky.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>57466578
NO ONE ANSWER THIS

The struggle, trial and error, and desperate web searching is an essential piece of the learning process.
>>
>buy new asus z170m ddr4 mobo + intel processor + new ram after a year of expectations
>replace my old ddr3 mobo/proc/ram with the new one
>everything's in place and well seated
>boot
>bluescreen right after bios screen (error 0x00000f)
>some bullshit about bootmbr being missing or something
>mobo cant be doing with my Seagate hdd for some fucking reason, even though the old one was working fine with it
I just wanted to be happy. Guess its not an option.

Anybody else had this issue before?
>>
>>57466625
That's normal for Windows when changing motherboard. There's probably ways to get it working, but I'd back up everything and do a clean install.
>>
>>57466660
>clean reinstall
>An entire weekend if windows updates
>Driver updates
>Removing W10 boogeyman updates and telemetry
>de-bloating
Oh man I really dont want to suffer again...

Can I still reuse my old hardware or is my W7 installation already fubar?
>>
>>57466687
It will continue working on the old hardware.
>>
>>57466709
Oh good. Thanks mate.
>>
Windows defender detected some malware called BrowserModifier: Win32/SupTab!blnk. Clicking in desinfect and remove dint do anything. I use windows7 and firefox
Already scaned the pc with avast and malwarebytes anti-malware but both dint detected it.

Should i worry or its just windows being retarded?
>>
File: 1472451922318.png (235KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1472451922318.png
235KB, 640x480px
Guys I'm scared. Rainbows six siege is free this week so I dl it and it launches the uplay installer. After that a update fails for it windows defender pops up saying it found a 2 threats. One was taken care the other persisted after cleanse, remove ( it keep popping up that windows defender found a threat). It says it's been remove, but I was wondering if restoring my computer back a couple days would be a safe bet?
>>
>>57466733
Bro I just had the same shit
U dl rainbowsix?
>>
>>57466761
It's normal for Ubisoft's wares to be detected as malicious.
>>
>>57466614
>>57466616
P-please?
>>
>>57466798
Ubisoft installs shit on ur browser? Fuck this shit.
Thx m8
>>
What's /g/'s choice on antivirus?

Currently running Kaspersky Total Security, got it last night.
>>
Looking to set up a router based adblocking script on ddwrt that uses dns poisoning. I understand how to set it all up, except the ad domains it draws from. Essentially its a config file with addresses in it which are able to be edited, my question is: which sites should I be blocking that cover most ads? Any host files suggestions would be appreciated

I've gone through all the domains/hostfiles I have on ublock, but there's so many, I'm unsure which ones are ideal.

tl;dr need suggestions on which hostfiles or ad domains to block for the most universal coverage, without ending up with a massive fucking list

Any help would be much appreciated
>>
My retard friend thinks he needs a liquid cooling system.
Is he retarded or am I just a fan fag who thinks that being aqua man is fucking stupid?
>>
>>57466900
common sense 2017
>>
>>57463451
So I'm looking to get out of neetdom, I had some mental issues keeping me from work but now I'm off my meds with no symptoms and I'm capable of going outside - so my first question is what's an easy tech job I could get in a medium sized town, does anyone have resume templates (and do I have to include address and phone number on my resume) and anyone got guides for making a good resume with no qualifications and no work experience (I've done a few impressive projects on github)
>>
>>57466995
You don't 'need' water cooling unless you have very specific reasons
Air cooling is far more cost effective
>>
>>57466798
Im having the defender malware shit too but havent downloaded anything from ubisoft. Just overwatch and i think an update for the no-antiadblock script for grease monkey, maybe it was that
>>
>>57466995
Pros:
>Sometimes quieter
>wank factor

Cons:
>less reliable
>costs more
>he'd probably only be getting a CPU cooler while most of the noise comes from the GPU fans
>he may want the white noise of an air cooler, especially if he's a dumbass, because they get tinnitus early in life
>>
>>57466995
Ya if he plans on over clocking then its worth
>>
>>57463451
I'm content with live.com as my email however I get a lot of spam in the last few months. Is there a way to make this not happen? I dont want to switch because like everything is connected to it and switch would be a pain the ass desu.

Any one have any suggestions?

also is it true microsoft is thinking of kicking their email?
>>
Is this the best gluten-free grain?
>>
Would a GPU dying cause a computer to instantly shut off and never turn on again until the GPU is removed? Because that seems to be the case.
>>
File: Apocalypse.jpg (10KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Apocalypse.jpg
10KB, 220x220px
Is the tech bubble going to burst? Would it be a waste of time learning web development?
>>
>>57467337
I think it's wise to learn software development in general. Intuitively, one would expect it to be the last task to be automated. You may be replaced by curry-Indians if you're somehow less capable of communicating abstract concepts in English.
>>
>>57467208
>>>/ck/
>>
>>57467393
Is Codecademy a good place to start or would I be better off buying a book?
>>
How do I host servers and such on a network where I can't access the router?

Basically, I moved out for university and I'm in someone else's home. I don't have access to the router. How do I use my stuff (FTP, torrents, etc.) remotely now?
>>
>>57467399
No, you're wrong. It's not a gluten. Only processed stuff like high fructose corn syrup is a gluten.
>>
>>57467401
the best way is to sit down and find a program that you are lacking currently, and then create it.
You have enough motivation to automate this task, or create an interface to keep your attention on it
>>
>>57467407
tunnel the connection through a cheap vps maybe
>>
>>57467418
So should I learn regular programming instead of web development? The reason I asked about web development was I remember enjoyed doing it in school in contrast to writing shell scripts which I found to be pretty boring.
>>
>>57467407
Some kind of reverse tunnel? NAT traversal?
>>
>>57463451
I posted a thread and it got a whole lot of replies. When the thread was still up. I was banned from posting with my ISP, IP range etc. Now I have a dynamic IP address and I reset my router.

I'm still getting the same IP error, I can post from the same ISP on my phone...
>>
>>57467432
You can either go front end or back end, or both
Front end would be basically WYSIWYG level, while backend would be real languages to run everything on the server its self(ruby,python,perl,etc)
>>
>>57467427
I do have a VPS I rent in Texas. I'll try to figure out how to do this tunneling.
>>
Is there any way to have my television output video through AV and have sound come through HDMI? I want to play games on my PS3 while listening to my own music from my laptop or a USB.
>>
>>57467484
plug said media in to laptop and play it
>>
>>57467461
Sorry for asking so many questions, but what would you recommend I learn if I wanted to get a well-paying job? Like, what's the best way to start?
>>
>>57467490
Laptop screen is ass though.
>>
>>57467484
There are no worthwhile PS3 exclusives.
>>
>>57467511
So
You take your mobile device,a laptop, and you bring it over to you,you play your music while you're playing your games
I know it is such an obscene notion to try this but you may want to
>>
How do I create a shortcut in ubuntu to switch keyboard layouts?
>>
>>57467208
No,
I personally grow a 100% gluten-free crop on my 100 acre farm.
Now I might be patting my self on the back a bit too much.
But if you don't poor literally mountains of shit on your crop its garbage.
Does this company pour literal mountains of shit on its crops?
I don't think so.
>>
File: dXNs0Xl.jpg (173KB, 743x921px) Image search: [Google]
dXNs0Xl.jpg
173KB, 743x921px
>>57467505
You're clearly not enough of a self-starter to be an autodidact, so you'll need to go to school for that and then you won't be hired because another applicant took the initiative to develop a portfolio.
>>
>>57467538
You're probably right. I also have a pretty bad memory and can't really focus on things due to my ADHD. I'll probably end up killing myself soon, it's just fun to think about life not being shitty sometimes. Sorry for annoying you.
>>
>>57466578
Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>57467570

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/

They'll help, but not spoonfeed.
>>
>>57467456
bump
>>
What happened to the desktop threads? Did the mods declare them illegal?
>>
File: wan wan in the streets.jpg (140KB, 800x797px) Image search: [Google]
wan wan in the streets.jpg
140KB, 800x797px
What is the best and safest way to pirate Windows XP?

Is Vista safe from the botnet?

What will I be missing from Windows 7, if I use XP exclusively?
>>
>>57467782
No.
>>
>>57463451
What's a good sub £300 projector for (some FPS) gaming and movies?

I've been looking for a while now, and I'm starting to think the prices are permanently cranked up for such things.
>>
>>57467852
>good
>300 bongbucks
>projector
pick two
>>
>>57467852
Are you aware a projector can't display anything darker than the surface it's pointed at? Gaming in total darkness isn't as comfy as having a bit of reflected-off-matte surfaces lighting.
>>
Is there an app that can take my picture and show what I would look like as a girl? Or vice versa for the girls to a guy.
>>
>>57463451
Is Mint faster than w10?
>>
>>57467908
Not on a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>57467782
>What is the best and safest way to pirate Windows XP?

a Maherz ISO from 6 years ago

>Is Vista safe from the botnet?

Which botnet? Microsoft's or the Storm Worm? You're going to get one either way.

>What will I be missing from Windows 7, if I use XP exclusively?

A brain and DX10/11.
>>
>>57467885
No, I didn't know that. On reflection, I might just buy a low lag TV.

I thought if i was going to upgrade from this 4:3 monitor from 2000, I might as well buy something bling.
>>
>>57464849
Use uBlock origin
>>
My new mouse keeps sending double left click signals intermittently when i click only once. Tried reinstalling drivers and its still happening. Is it fucked and should I return it or is there anything I can do
>>
>>57468047
disassemble it and give it a clean, probably a bit of gunk got in during manufacturing
>>
>>57465365
Add a keyboard layout for Japanese
>>
>>57465713
Color +
Black/white -
>>
So I'm trying to add a repository in Debian and it says to add this key and links me to a PGP file, what do I do with it?
>>
>>57467570
How did you figure out how to do all that but not print a simple variable
>>
File: forza3.jpg (175KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
forza3.jpg
175KB, 1200x675px
If I sign into Windows 10 applications like Xbox or Windows store,
does it sign-in to the individual application (like Steam),
or will it be some sort of global sign-in (associating a windows account with my local account)?

Nephew got Forza Horizon 3 on Xbone and wants give it a shot on PC.
I use a local offline account and only interested in trying if his account signs in on a per app basis.
>>
Here's a stupid question: why do people use audio players like mpd+ncmpcpp or Clementine when mpv has playlist function and just werkz. Also can stream from YouTube with --no-video
Is there any particular reason?
>>
>>57468511
mpv has playlist function now ?!?
I've been out of touch

Also so you can play a music from your remote server of course
>>
>>57468548
It's not polished yet but it does serve as playlist when I ctrl click more files and play it with mpv.
Yeah, I didn't think of that, thanks. Also lyrics fetching could also be cause (?)
>>
>>57468561
>Also lyrics fetching could also be cause
Yeah there's also that, and built in visualizer, split view, and more mature playlist management, and don't forget scrobbling and ability to execute script on track change

Is the playlist function documented on mpv wiki?
>>
>>57468584
I have no idea. I'm just a normie user.
Only thing I've done in conf was volume settings.
Just try ctrl+click (or shift) more files and open them with mpv. I haven't tried it via terminal though.
>>
>>57468604
you're right before it will open multiple windows of mpv

I've always been using autoload.lua script all this time
Thanks this is helping
>>
How do I copy subtitles embedded into an mkv to a separate file like srt using ffmpeg?
>>
>>57468604
Also this is worth trying
put :
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation

for jittery-free playback
>>
>>57468629
I'm glad idiot like me can help.
Also what I noticed is when I select multiple video files and click enter (opens with mpv by default) it just plays last selected file, but when you right-click and select open with mpv it plays like playlist.
It doesn't act like that with audio files.
>>
>>57468634
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32922226/extract-every-audio-and-subtitles-from-a-video-with-ffmpeg
>>
>>57468634
ffmpeg -i file.mkv -map 0:s:0 -c copy file.srt

assuming first subtitle track, and that it's already in srt format
>>
>>57468686
he need to find out which stream is the subtitle file first
>>
>>57468672
It's possibly your file manager. I tried on Thunar and neither works when you open it with enter.
>>
>>57468701
no he doesn't, that's what the 's' in '0:s:0' is for
'0:s:0' always matches the first track of type subtitle in the first input
>>
>>57468717
can confirm this
>>
>>57468717
>>57468672
Also I noticed you can do
mpv *.mkv
and it will play all the files one by one without autoload.lua
pretty neat
>>
>Clean win7 install
>Wireless driver missing
>Ethernet driver missing
>Cant connect to internet to download drivers
>usb drivers missing
>Cant copy driver from usb drive
How do i make it operative?
>>
>>57468745
copy it to a hard drive or use the dvd
>>
Now how would I hardcode them to a video segment I'm trimming from an episode? The instructions I'm using didn't work
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 00:12:17 -t 23.5 -an -vf subs.srt output.mp4
>>
>>57468776
well you would need it to be -vf subtitles=subs.srt
>>
>mobo dies(thanks asrock)
>decide to replace it instead of rebuilding whole pc
>all 1150 boards in australia are either $80 mATX boards(2 gpus) or $300 gaymimg boards
>order gigabyte z97 sli from newegg
>install it
>fans lights and hdds turn on
>no display output on any monitor from either gpu or igp

Did the assrock take the cpu with it when it died?

Have i been cucked?
>>
>>57468786
I did use that, just forgot to add the
subtitles=
part
>>
>>57468808
so what error does it give?
>>
>>57468816
It doesn't, it just creates the video without subtitles
>>
>>57468850
I wonder if its trying to use the whole sub file but start at the beginning after seeking, I havent really dealt with sub files in ffmpeg
try quickly doing it on the whole file instead of seeking maybe
>>
>>57467935
>Microsoft's or the Storm Worm? You're going to get one either way.
Why are you so sure I'm going to get one either way?
>>
>>57468763
>copy to a hard drive
How?
>>
>>57469041
another computer
>>
Anyone tried 23.8 inch monitors at 1440p on windows, is it usable or is the PPI too high to use and 1440p should only be 27inches and up ?
>>
>>57469052
1440p at 24" is still lower ppi than 4k at 27" which is pretty common
Windows itself will work just fine, it comes down more to the individual applications.
>>
What would be considered a good deal in USD for a 5TB harddrive on Black Friday? I'm hoping to pick a few up but I want to make sure I do when they're at their lowest.
>>
>>57469083
I mean I wouldn't use any scaling so afaik the text everywhere could look bad(too small to read)
>>
What software can I use to mess around with an assembly language? Namely MIPS. Obviously without fucking with the CPU.
>>
>>57469283
emu8086
>>
File: 1274272.jpg (48KB, 546x896px) Image search: [Google]
1274272.jpg
48KB, 546x896px
I'm a newfag on this board. How much will I learn from lurking?
>>
>>57464051
Rmdir only works on empty directories.
>>
>>57469331
rm -r directory
>>
How do I fix this?
I can post I just want to fix the error.
>>
>>57469311
nothing. however, you'll become more opinionated on things you have no idea about, which will give you a false sense of knowledge. learning is done by doing, not by lurking.
>>
File: 1463724186244.jpg (1MB, 1299x2517px) Image search: [Google]
1463724186244.jpg
1MB, 1299x2517px
>>57469376
Learned something already. Thanks.
>>
Firefox or chromium, wich one uses more RAM ?
>>
File: sfdsfdsdfa.gif (746KB, 466x322px) Image search: [Google]
sfdsfdsdfa.gif
746KB, 466x322px
So /spg/ didn't help, so imma ask here need some smartphone advice

So, like the klutz I am, my 2014 moto x fell out of my hoodie pocket and cracked on concrete with some fairly sizable rocks while on campus. Since a replacement screen cost almost as much as a new 2014 moto x, should I just get another, or, since it's kinda dated, is there a phone comparable in size and in-hand feel/software feel to the moto x?

purchasing specs:
>Country
USA
>Carrier
AT&T
(prefer unlocked phone)
>Features
Clean software, decent battery (at least 3hr), good/decent camera, good warranty (oneplus and other chink companies have left friends out in the cold if something internally fails)
>Budget
<$200 (poorfag college lyfe)
>Size
≤5.3"
will only go 5.5" or above if w/ stylus (like a note)

I don't mind buying a phone that's older if the software on it's good or if it's easy enough to put a custom rom on. I'm currently using a note 2 with cyanogenmod as a replacement, but still just isn't as nice as my moto x. 2014 Moto x was just comfy.
>>
Do the best monitors always produce a better picture than m the best televisions?

Also, are there any monitors that are 50" or more that could be used in the living room?
>>
VERY URGENT

Motherboard's stand by power stays on but the computer doesn't start. I tried removing the motherboard and installing all the components again but still the same issue. Checked the RAM and PSU individually, both seem to be working fine. What could be the issue?
>>
Is there an isolation container for Linux that works in the same way that sandboxie does?
>>
So in logic, where A, A->B means you can derive B, does it work the oppoiste way?
I.E. B, A->B derive A
>>
>>57469311
Install arch or Gentoo, rice it, do some srcreenshot and post them.
Tell people there's nothing wrong with systemd since Poettering is a great programmer and it is backed by REHL,
It iss called linux and not gnu/linux.
Say publicly that RMS is a fat pedo that did nothing useful since the GNU gpl is cancer and that gcc is a pile of shit.
You should make sure to say windows 10 isn't a botnet and works fine in your machine, actually more secure than linux.
Apple hardware is perfection and it's what people use to get the job done.
Nvidia makes great products with a good price/quality and the gimping is just rumors spread by ayymd fanboys
Every tech companies goes bankrupt
SJW are the cancer of IT
Web dev is a mess (php is shit btw)
If you don't program is haskel, lisp, lua or [insert a programming language rarely used] you got it wrong.
C++ is harmful and bloated
Java is harfmul and bloated
Every website talking about tech products are paid shill.
The less you know on a subject, the more you'll talk about it.
Post anime pictures to trigger half the board
The less you talk about technology, the best it is
Do as much bait thread as you can, mods doesn't care about it and people actually post on them.

I thought it would be easier to sum up /g/, but that's all you'll learn. How to trigger a board and that everything is harmful.
>>
>wake up
>power on my computer
>it doesn't start
>open the case
>don't see any problem
>try to turn it on again
>it works
>use it all day
>next day I wake up
>turn on my computer
>same shit

Any idea what is causing this ? I always end opening my case, touching the cables to make sure their are connected properly, but I don't really know what's going on since everything is connected properly.
>>
>>57469051
Are doing this on purpose?
>>
>C#
Is a byte implicitly converted to int when incremented using the shorthand operator(++)?
>>
>>57466709
Put my old setup back and now im getting no display during boot

Did it fry?
>>
File: canon.jpg (36KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
canon.jpg
36KB, 770x433px
So I found an old Canon Pixma MG2220 but it doesn't have the power cord/adapter, how do I search for the proper adapter + cord? like the specifications and shit, is there a name for the cord?
>>
File: ket boner.jpg (105KB, 500x541px) Image search: [Google]
ket boner.jpg
105KB, 500x541px
*raises paw*

Which *external* CD drive should I get? What stats should I be looking at?

Any recommendations?
>>
>>57470414
bfy . tw/8hi5

Click on the big button that says "Manuals"
>>
>>57470425
its all the same shit
>>
File: tape.jpg (47KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
tape.jpg
47KB, 800x533px
on an image of my old tv box i have several folders that contain the actual recorded movies in ts-format, aswell as some data-files called drm, nav and rai.
whenever the file drm contains no data, I can watch the movie. If it's not empty - I can't. Anyone got an idea how to watch these drm-protected movies? maybe the drm-file is the key to encryption? how could I encrypt the files then? any clues?
I work with linux, or how you fags call it gnu/linux or how the freetards call it, gnu + linux.
The box is entone amulet 400.
sometime i miss the good old tapes (not it's shitty quality though)
>>
How reliable are refurbished laptops? I found some good deals on Amazon (mostly dell latitudes) and I was thinking of getting one for myself.
>>
>>57470590
You won't be able to tell the difference between a new and a refurbished laptop.
>>
Are Lenovo Thinkpads bad or is it only a meme?
I've been told by a friend who worked on reapiring computers that they are shit but I see them quite often in this board
>>
Do I really need to charge a new toothbrush for 16 hours before using it? I thought they don't have 'memory', so surely nothing happens when it's fully charged?
>>
>>57470647
Lenovo is fine if you don't mind malware embedded in the firmware
>>
>>57470542
gay as fuck
>>
>>57463451
what's the worst that can happen if I program C and I don't know what the fuck am I doing? I mean actual harm to data in a computer, not just my program randomly crashing.
>>
>>57470727
Put some monkeys in a room with C compilers and eventually they will make a cryptolocker
>>
So, how can I boost my laptop's wifi to one specific access point? I'd need something external like a wifi key anyway no?

There's just one WEP protected box near me, but it's kinda weak signal.
>>
>>57470802
better wifi adapter, preferably something with an external antenna connection
>>
>>57470825

I've searched around on amazon but nothing looks trustworthy.
You mean something I can screw my own antenna on? Hm I wonder if they sell wifi-tuned patch antennas. (similar to RC stuff)
>>
>>57470858
For long distance wifi you want something more directional like a cantenna
>>
>>57470877
You're right, cantenna looks good. I'll search around for a good wifi adapter.
thanks
>>
>>57469815
Jesus, where the hell did you learn your logic.

A -> B means B is necessary for A, but not sufficient (if A is true then B must be true, but we can't say that if B is true then A must be true).

For instance, suppose B = {a number is even} and A = {a number is divisible by 4}. Clearly A -> B, however 6 for example satisfies B, but does not satisfy A.

In the special case where (B, A -> B) implies A, we denote A <-> B (B is necessary and sufficient for A). This is the same as saying A -> B and B -> A.
>>
File: 1366650430737.jpg (14KB, 340x270px) Image search: [Google]
1366650430737.jpg
14KB, 340x270px
>>57463451
I've got a Windows 2012 R2 server with a folder set up to share NFS. All the RHEL servers can reach it and back up normally, but when Wangblows gets an unexpected reboot, the NFS share doesn't persist and I have to reconfigure it each time.
How do I get windows to not be retarded?
>inb4 Install Gentoo
>>
>>57463451
I'm selling my PC, so I used dban on my storage HDD. Now I can't get it to boot into Windows 10. My OS is on an SSD.

When I turn it on, it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Media and press a key"

Did dban wipe my SSD? I've tried changing boot order.
>>
File: 1455326868470.jpg (13KB, 540x438px) Image search: [Google]
1455326868470.jpg
13KB, 540x438px
Please help me out /g/, I've been having this problem for way too long now.

When I installed W7, I made my own account and set it as administrator. Timeskip about a year and a half, I start getting

>"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You don't have the necessary permissions"
>"You need Administrators permission to copy this file"
Among other annoying instances of being denied anything I do with my computer, when I'm an admin myself.

I've searched the internet for days to find a reliable fix, tried executing programs as admin, punched TAKEOWN in cmd, tried Take Ownership, checked all my drives' security settings and have everything set to total control for all accounts (which is just mine + Admin account) but nothing seems to work. I changed my computer's name a few months ago if that makes any difference, which it probably does.

I'm so tired, I just want my computer back...
>>
hey /g/ built a new pc recently and im having weird issues. if i use my mouse and keyboard at the same time it causes a weird buzzing sound and makes video stutters. ofcourse this is a big issue while playing games, i can play civ and xcom fine but if i need to use both devices like in an fps it causes the problem. any ideas that i could try?
>>
Just installed GNOME next to Unity. Now my Chrome looks super ugly. When I select text in my chrome URL bar, it becomes orange like pic related.

Any tips on how to fix this? also, any tips on making my shit look nicer?
>>
>>57471455
Forgot to say, I'm using 'iris dark' since that's the 'best flat gtk theme' according to memers.
>>
anyone know a good site to download ebooks from?
>>
>>57471256
It didn't wipe your ssd, your HDD probably had some boot sectors on it too, I had the same problem when switching HDDs. I fixed it by placing the old one back. But since you can't do that, try fixing the PC by booting a windows installation usb/cd and selecting repair instead of install. I hope you have a second computer, or prepared for this and had the USB/Boot media ready.
>>
>>57471526

https://www.reddit.com/r/trackers/comments/hrgmv/tracker_with_pdfsebooks_of_college_textbooks/c1xrq44
>>
>>57471540
Downloading Windows 10 iso right now. Thanks, mate.
>>
How does /g/ view their pdf?
>>
File: 1362163828129.jpg (266KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1362163828129.jpg
266KB, 1600x1200px
I'm trying to streamline my masturbation. I already have a script that launches 4 instances of mpv and tiles them to the corners. The download of vids is the trickiest.

Any ideas on that regard?
>>
so I have this old hard drive lying around. I'd like to use it to store some shit, but I would like to know what's in it before formating it. It looks like 2/3 of the memory is occupied but all I have access to is a .txt file. How can I actually view the data?
>>
>>57471672
I boot live Linux OS with NTFS support to view such things. Ubuntu variants have good driver support.
>>
>>57471643
okular on my comps.
sumatra pdf on windows.

Open to suggestions.
>>
>>57471647
Get a powerful vibrating wand, like the one Hitachi makes, and stop wasting time with porn. Live in a way that you have nothing to hide, even on your computer, and then maybe you won't need to masturbate alone.
>>
File: 1367505540125.jpg (254KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1367505540125.jpg
254KB, 1600x1200px
>>57471804
I sense a great wisdow behind this post. Please, elaborate.
>>
>>57471821
wisdom*
Sorry. I'm sipping coffee.
>>
File: _20161111_170527.jpg (1MB, 3120x3271px) Image search: [Google]
_20161111_170527.jpg
1MB, 3120x3271px
My old monitor keeps shutting down randomly. I tried to disassemble it and that's what I found. What's that crusty white thing on the PCB?
>inb4 cum
Seems like something melted by the heat and then solidified back again.
Can it be related to my monitor not working properly?
>>
>>57471821
Name pls or moar of her
>>
File: esponja.jpg (120KB, 500x414px) Image search: [Google]
esponja.jpg
120KB, 500x414px
>>57471839
Is it black coffee? That's marginally beneficial, but adding nutrient-free calories more than negates any benefits. And it's a missed opportunity to be drinking green tea. Get yourself a third of a kilo while it's cheap during autumn.
>>
>>57471854
Steel cum?
>>
File: you're all faggots.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
you're all faggots.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
>>57471821
>tfw you'll never have a pixie-cut andro qt3.14159 gf
>>
>>57471854
That's just glue. Check all the capacitors. That's a common cause of monitors from the 00s failing. Don't touch anything with a plugged in.
>>
>>57471854
Post view of whole board.
>>
i cant download bigger files than 11mb, i even bought new pc its still happening. do i need to change something in modem settings?
>>
>>57471892
green tea is not nearly as strong as black coffee
>>
Is there anything i need to add to the block list on uBlock origin? I just downloaded it, default right now.
>>
File: IMG_20161111_173030.jpg (3MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161111_173030.jpg
3MB, 3120x4208px
>>57471959
I cleaned that shit
>>
>>57472046
The glue was there for a reason, dumbass.
>>
Classic Shell's start menu takes about 5 seconds to open on my i5 rig. There's no way I'm going back to W10's shitty start menu, how do I fix that?
>>
I dont know if asks this here or /gd/

Where can I upload images to have this kind of link:
www.website.com/account/folder/image_1.jpg
www.website.com/account/folder/image_2.jpg
etc.

So has the same dns, the only that changes its the image name. Dropbox, drive, etc, gives a random url
>>
>>57472068
ayyyyyyy I fucked up
>>
Gonna bring my computer back to life with an SSD. Is migration good enough or is it recommended to fresh install?
>>
File: 1477612365380.jpg (11KB, 275x221px) Image search: [Google]
1477612365380.jpg
11KB, 275x221px
Is it normal to feel dumb in this board?
>>
>>57463451
How to redeem Mac OS code without a working Apple device?

I'm sitting at a recovery partition trying to reinstall the OS on an otherwise wiped drive. I don't yet have the new purchase associated with my ID, so it's not reinstalling.

Or am I going about this completely wrong, besides using a Mac? This is my first out of a dozen other computers I currently own, so this is just learning experience.
>>
>>57472281
dumb frogposter
>>
>>57472208
Back up data and do a fresh install.

You've probably installed various pieces of crap that you really don't want or need anymore.
>>
>>57472015
The only thing I can think of is that you're modem or access point is fucked up somewhere along the way and just dropping your packets if too much goes over the wire.

Potentially a modem setting.

Are you wired on on WiFi? Have you tested this with a hard wire?
>>
>>57472435
i am wired and idk what is hard wiring
>>
What is the best program to create music cd's on Windows atm?
>>
Why shouldn't I use session_destroy for logging out?
>>
>>57472530
Windows Media Player works well enough.

Consider the hours you're going to spend burning and fucking with CD's, and compare that to the cost of earning money to replace whatever obsolete equipment is requiring CD's.
>>
>>57472530
Infrarecorder?

Why do you need CDs?
>>
>Can't connect to codeacademy with Firefox
>Can with Chrome
Why?
>>
My mother wants a dumphone with the following features:
* small and light
* bar or clamshell chassis
* rudimentary camera (not some vga shit, but doesn't have to be top-notch)
* not touchscreen

I'm thinking about getting some older Nokia, but I'm not sure which. Any suggestions?
>>
>>57472661
So I could listen to music in my old car
>>
>>57472566
This one doesn't work for me. Gives not responding error
>>
>>57472780
Listen to public radio instead.
>>
>>57472804
public radio is shit.
>>
>>57472804
But public radio doesn't play metal
>>
>>57472804
>listening to the radio
>ever

lol
>>
>>57472839
Go be mediocre and white somewhere else.
>>
File: image2995.png (29KB, 727x250px) Image search: [Google]
image2995.png
29KB, 727x250px
Prior to firefox 49 the url drop-down would appear below my url bar, but now it appears on top of it.
How do I fix this?
>>
>>57471866
She's kittens. She's a Level S semen demon from /soc/.

I am displeased with you not knowing her, but happy that I can discover her to you.

There's a torrent with all her stuff. Including the video where she masturbates with an ice chunk.
>>
I'm looking to get a cheap internal hard disk to hook to my Orange Pi that's reliable enough for the task with decent read/write speeds.
My current intention is to turn my Orange Pi into a home Plex server and load it with movies, series, music, etc, while loading the actual OS from a microSD card.

What kind of HDD might fit my need?
Is this one good enough?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1Z4-001J-00078&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Hard%20Drives-_-1Z4-001J-00078&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=5841901&SID=
>>
>>57472947
Why do write like a neckbeard? You're displeased a stranger doesn't browse an obscure narcissism board?
>>
>>57472976
I like to feign autism on the internet. Sorry if I bothered you.
>>
Is this reliable?

https://www.deadmansswitch.net/

Are there alternatives for sending mails in case of death?
>>
File: 1412167901437.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1412167901437.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>57472994
>I like to feign autism on the internet.
4chan: the post
>>
>>57473011
Your own server?
>>
>>57473026
Say someone breaks into dead-me's house and smacks my server up.
>>
Should I learn JavaScript or HTMl first?
>>
>>57473052
I mean like a VPS elsewhere.
>>
>>57473017
Well, that (You) made my day. I'm almost sorry Hiro hasn't implemented yet upboating and fool's gold ala reddit.
>>
>>57473071
HTML first, then CSS and finally Javascript
>>
>>57473071
You should learn to write first.
>>
>>57473083
le downboat for disagree ;)
>>
>>57473110
Har! I'll let you know I have over 9k internet GBP from posting ebin threads on r/4chan.

reddit would make more sense if they called downvotes "disagreements".
>>
Cheapest single board computer with ethernet and SATA? Thinking of making a cheap torrent machine.
Alternatively, cheapest without USB & ethernet being shared.
>>
>>57465439
http://spectrum.ieee.org/
>>
When are we going to get affordable +10TB storage drives?
>>
How hard is it to learn C coming off Java?
>>
>>57473075
Thanks.
>>
Where can I start reading articles about hardware, etc?
>>
>>57473223
Just ask for money to your PhD's supervisor.

Because you're working on some fluid dynamics hardcore paper, right? I don't know what would you need over 2 TB otherwise.
>>
>>57463619
If your mountpoints don't change then you dont have to do anything. Sym links dont link inodes but are plain strings, thats why they work across filesystems.
Look up archiso in the archwiki
>>57464591
Lookup the executed path in the Task/Processmanager
>>
>>57473162
You should be able to find info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers
>>
>>57473274
>I don't know what would you need over 2 TB otherwise.
Anime or normie shows in 1080p+
>>
>>57473274
Historical system-version data storage of on-premise databases.

If I had cheap storage like that, I'd be doing a daily change-data-capture of all of my production databases, so I can do point-in-time reporting.
>>
>>57473405
When was the last time you rewatched a show?

>>57473426
Can you explain it in a dumbed down way?
>>
>>57473241
I '''learned''' C before Java and it's really fucking difficult in comparison.

I had no programming background before C though, so it might be easier for you.
>>
File: baka_big.png (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
baka_big.png
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>57473474
>When was the last time you rewatched a show?
Right now, I'm rewatching the -monogatari series.

>Can you explain it in a dumbed down way?
Say a table has 5 records in it.

Record #2 gets deleted, and Record #5 gets modified in some way.

If I do
SELECT * FROM myTable
, I'll see 4 records and one of them will be different.

What if I wanted to see how many 'users' or whatever those records are representing, as they existed one month ago?

Well, that's not possible to query, because the record was dropped. There might be a transaction log or a backup, but those aren't kept indefinitely, and they're not immediately queryable.

With something like SQL Server 2016 Temporal Tables, rather than actually delete the record, or modify it, those records are moved to the History table with a date that they became invalid, and a new record is created for the modified value, with a date for when it became the valid value.

Now, I can say
SELECT *
FROM myTable
AS OF '2016-01-01'
and get the state of the table at that time.

This obviously uses more space on disk to keep all of the old information, but can be very valuable to metrics, particularly if the application developers did not design a historical tracking mechanism.

That's...about as dumbed down as I can get it.

t. Business intelligence architect
>>
I just put my first PC together and it's been working great. But for the past couple days, I'll wake up, turn it on, the fans and leds turn on and everything but nothing comes up on my monitor until like twenty or thirty minutes later. It works perfectly fine after that but I have no idea what could be causing it to take so long.
>>
>>57473241
Not terrible, but you're going to hate it.

C is not a "hard" language, as much as it is TEDIOUS.

Having to keep track of everything yourself is frankly annoying.
>>
What is apt-get? Can any program be installed by apt-get? Who indexes it? Who approves these packages? Im seriously blown away by this. I read a few things in google but didnt quite catch it
>>
>>57473605

Tedious in what ways?
>>
>>57473647
Managing memory is tedious.

Having to worry about implicit assignment of less precise types is tedious.
>>
What are some good gui libraries for c++? I want to make some more robust programs and I'm tired of using the console
>>
>>57473609
If you add a repository then you can apt-get what's on its list
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu
>>
>>57473609

apt is a wrapper around dpkg. Dpkg tracks packages on your system and apt fetches them from repositories.

Your linux distro manages what's in the repositories but you can add custom repos.
>>
>>57473684
>>57473692
Wow. That's actually fucking incredible.
Thanks for clearing that up.
>>
File: IMG_0605.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0605.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I need somewhat of a software suggestion
>Modernizing old CNC machines at work
>Use some hardware that makes CF cards work like IDE drives to replace mechanical drives on said machines
>Use Acronis to make an image of both machines, and slap them onto each of our replacement CF cards
>1 machine worked fine, however the other machine gives errors on startup that's unknown even to the manufacturer
>Machine that didn't work with the re-imaging also happens to be running a custom version of DOS, and I'm guessing Acronis didn't do an exact copy like I was expecting
>Also fucked up when trying different things and restored the image to the HD I took out, which gave the same error (We still have a backup HD for that machine that still works, so we're fine there)
So, anyone have a suggestion for software I can image with that will really do an exact copy and not try to fuck around with stuff?
Or some combo of fucking around with settings that will make it properly image DOS-systems or some shit?
>>
So a host file can be used to block ad domains on one computer, how can apply this across a home network. If I have a server running most of the time can I install some kinda DNS setup and use it's local IP as a DNS to filter ad domains?
>>
>>57473854
That's unethical.
>>
>>57470654
>charge a toothbrush
what
>>
>>57473890
Why can't a consumer choose to only access domains they want to, it's even more unethical for ad domains to connect and use data on mobile devices.
>>
what do I do if I know literally NOTHING about programming or networking and I want to know more/maybe get a job with it?

college? uni? books?
>>
>>57473952
>2016
>not using a rechargable toothbrush
what are you, poor or something?
>>
>>57474030

>get a job with it
In what field
>>
>>57474092
um...

what's the best one ?
>>
File: brain.png (6KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
brain.png
6KB, 195x259px
I own a sprint samsung galaxy s7 meme phone with the bootloader locked. Is there a safe way to root this and install the cyanogenmod ROM without bricking my phone? Thanks.
>>
File: IMG_0506.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0506.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /g/, I'm shit with computers, but I know some stuff, and apparently my intern thought it would be a good idea to fuck with the bios settings and set a system password. Sticky note he left says the password is "ass", but the keyboard is locked. I've tried putting the USB keyboard into every port and using different keyboards, I tried getting back into system settings but that requires a password.

>pic related, it's the monitor
>>
>>57474315
>apparently my intern
Surely, you mean ex-intern for pulling dumb shit like that.
>>
>>57474315
Obviously you need to fuck them in the ass first
>>
Any good graphics cards that support 4K? Don't really plan to game in 4K, but cannot have 30FPS for desktop and video. Prefer < $150. Thanks.
>>
>>57474394
Why do you skimp on the GPU when you have an expensive monitor?
Anyway, RX 470.
>>
>>57474436
Got a good deal on it. Unfortunately, can't find a 470 for less than $170.
>>
>>57474472
RX 460 or GTX 1050 then.
>>
>>57474394
>>57474472
>Prefer <$150
>refuses to consider a $170 card

Do you know what "prefer" means?
>>
Is there any noise I can play to make an old guy stop having loud phone calls outside my window?
>>
>>57474526
White noise.
>>
>>57474512
And I prefer to keep looking for one less than $150, unless my only option is a $170 card. Sheesh.
>>
I've got 4 disks, 3x 2TB and 1 3TB. I'll be storing media and backups. I want the media to be backed up as well in case of drive failure/accidental deletion or w/e. What would the best setup be in terms of RAID, number of volumes etc?
>>
>>57474731
RAID is for uptime, not backup. You're always one command away from losing it all. For mass media you didn't make, it's enough to just check the S.M.A.R.T. once a week. I've never seen a drive fail completely without several days notice.
>>
How do I deal with the sadness and worry of having to format my hdd and having to reinstall all my programs and do tweaks again?

Feels like im demolishing a near perfect house I built over the years with my own hands.
>>
>>57475346
You really didn't do much. If you were using GNU/Linux, you could just install, git pull your dotfiles and get on with your day in less time than it takes for Windows 7 to only check for updates.
>>
>>57475382
I am using W7 though. Thats the problem

And I cant even let the updates run in the background overnight lest I wake up to fucking W10.
>>
>>57475496
Only install the security updates.
All of the Windows 10 bs is in the "recommended" update section, so you can go through each and read the description before installing it.
>>
I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to set up my home network. I need a NAS, a Plex media server (those two can be on the same box) and I want to use pfSense for my router. Would it be possible to do all of this from one box?
>>
>>57475601
I see, thanks.

Speaking of which, does /g/ have a list of handpicked updates no install/not install or something of the sort other than the w10 update list? Or are service packs and NET updates the only important updates to actively look for along with other security updates?
>>
>>57475496
Do you even need Windows?
>>
File: t3_4vmc3y.jpg (90KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
t3_4vmc3y.jpg
90KB, 540x720px
Will anime be real in a couple months?
>>
File: WORRY?.png (38KB, 914x202px) Image search: [Google]
WORRY?.png
38KB, 914x202px
Should I be afraid? I have no money for VPNs.
>>
>>57476284
Microsoft only cares about businesses and counterfeiters.
>>
File: 1478902833576[1].jpg (65KB, 642x425px) Image search: [Google]
1478902833576[1].jpg
65KB, 642x425px
What kind of laptop is Magnus Carlsen using?

Almost looks to me like one of those big server/workstation laptops instead of a gaming one. Which might make some sense if he is doing a lot of math research on it.
>>
>>57476384
>Eurocom
>>
>>57476438
I couldn't make that out, thanks. So it is a big monster workstation laptop after all. Rather based choice there.
Thread posts: 352
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.