[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 23

File: 1455697346025.png (279KB, 640x618px) Image search: [Google]
1455697346025.png
279KB, 640x618px
Previously >>57367236

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man <insert command here>
$ info <insert command here>
$ help <insert command here>

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
https://www.gnu.org

/fglt/'s website:
http://fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
https://p.teknik.io/oJR7K

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>>/wg/6743571 - /wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers
>>
Still looking for a way to set my windows to close whenever I click their decoration with the middle button. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1466072017711.png (579KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
1466072017711.png
579KB, 569x802px
anyone knows this image?
*crashes this thread with no survivors!*
>>
>>57371404
I use "xdotool getactivewindow windowkill" as hotkey.
>>
>>57371414
That's Linus Torvalds.
>>
>>57371432
>Linux Torvalds
fixed that for you
the OS was named after him
>>
>>57371414
linus torvalds, leader of the free software foundation
>>
>tfw you can't use an anime wallpaper because your brother will beat you up for it
damn... is there a way to set a wallpaper so that only I can see it or it changes right before someone looks at my screen?
>>
>>57371454
linux is just a kernel developed by richard stallman, it's not an os and doesn't work on its own; it's only complete with the full gnu system maintained by linux torvalds
>>
>>57371510
but it works on my system which is completely gnu free. what are you talking about? i am using the os linux
>>
File: 1454096203499.png (252KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454096203499.png
252KB, 640x480px
Would it possible to write a script that immediately switches over to the new general threads every time it's posted?
>>
>>57371519
>being a toe jam eating linux (u)looser
>>
>>57371221

>Linux philosophy
How to spot someone parroting things he has no idea about: the post.
>>
>>57371544
>Linux philosophy
kek, what's that,
>>
>>57371529
i mean sure, but identifying the new thread would never be surefire. you can't trust an anon posting a link to the new thread here, and it would be easier to just poll for a new /flt/ thread once the current one hits its bump limit, but what do you do when people make multiple threads? just redirect to the one with more posts? i dunno. it's possible, just silly.
>>
>>57371544
linux isn't even chinese
>>
>>57371571
Maybe have the script ping you for certain filter words? I think 4chanx already something like this called highlighting, I never used it though so I don't actually know what is
>>
>>57371562
the linux philosohy is basically a collection of basic rules steve jobs invented back in the 80s such as
- do one thing and do it well

systemd does 10000000000000 things and nobody knows if it's well enough, thats basically why apple dropped systemd from the start and today it's only developed for the home system `linux' so basically you blame stallman for keeping it in upstream
>>
>>57371584
[cititation needed]
>>
>systemd does 10000000000000 things

WRONG! Systemd is not a thing doer. Thing doer is only 1% of its code. Systemd also does hand jobs, stuff, jack shit, and fuck all.
>>
Is there a FOSS version of GFS yet?

If not, let's make one. I'll design the logo
>>
>>57371747
*makes a FOSS version of GFS*
done
>>
>>57371766
you missed the logo
>>
>>57371766
>no logo
You just had one job, god dammit.
>>
>>57371766
>project doesn't have a logo
Would not hire/10.
>>
File: 32232346654456-1.png (161KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
32232346654456-1.png
161KB, 950x950px
There will never be a lightweight distro for daily use.
>>
>>57371978
define "lightweight" and "daily use"
>>
>>57371978
how do you define lightweight? there are many lightweight distros out there for "daily use".
>>
>>57371998
google it yourself.
Not your personal search engine!
>>
>>57372015
wew :^)
>>
>>57372009
Not him but, a Ubuntu like interface except during installation, it allows me to check the packages and applications I want to be installed.

For ex, I don't want Firefox, Rhythmbox and Amazon botnets because I prefer others applications. So to integrate all packages in a monolithic manner including the global bar is fucking annoying.
>>
>>57372106
install Gentoo or Arch then. You even have Debian netinstall or Ubuntu minimal.
>>
>>57372122
I use Ubuntu minimal but when it comes to installing DE, I don't get the option to select sub-components. Only Xubuntu minimal or Ubuntu server which leaves me at blank screen on startup, worst case CLI mode with no X.

I tried installing Arch with Architect, 5th attempt gave up as each time it gave pch_transcoder fifo underrun error during boot.
>>
>>57372162
>I tried installing Arch with Architect
just install it normally
>>
>>57372162
> Arch with Architect
found you problem

atleast use arch-anywhere or something.
>>
>>57372178
I can do it normally in VM but bare metal it fucks up completely. My laptop is the problem, it does not like Linux.
>>
Ubuntu 16.04 on a server, did an apt-upgrade by hand and then

>Setting up unattended-upgrades (0.90ubuntu0.1) ...
>Replacing config file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades with new version

I made some changes to this file, nothing big, but why did it overwrite my config? How do I prevent this?
>>
>>57372287
It never overwrites automatically on my end, and that *certainly* isn't default behavior. Maybe you configured `apt` weirdly?
>>
File: 1477341015607.jpg (52KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1477341015607.jpg
52KB, 800x600px
>>57372287
>apt problems
>>
So I installed Loonix for the first time. It's Fedora 24. It's pretty good, and I'll probably end customizing it a bit more with GTK themes and such.

But one thing that's bugging me is the fuck ugly fonts. Looks like shit on Chromium and some parts of the DE, what do? Also, I'm having a lot of trouble trying to compile and install software like cmus and mpv. I have the files kept in a "Source" directory, but when I ./compile, shit comes up saying I'm missing this and that. Sorry for being a noob faggot, I just need all the help I can get. Someone suggest not using Fedora in the first place, but it was the only newfag friendly distro I liked.
>>
>>57372500
you should try https://solus-project.com/

everything out of the box is great and the package manager has mpv and probably most of the other shit you want. the default font rendering is great and it helps if you install the rest of the fonts available in the repo too.
>>
>>57372500
to fix fonts

dnf install freetype-freeworld

echo "Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault" > ~/.Xresources

Hintstyle to slight and AA-mode to rGBA in gnome settings.
>>
>>57372448
>Maybe you configured `apt` weirdly?
Haven't changed anything regarding apt configs, everything standard. Maybe my VPS provider did some shit to the image.

I found a workaround though, should prevent overwritten configs by explicitly telling apt to not overwrite stuff.
Dpkg::Options {
"--force-confdef";
"--force-confold";
}
>>
>>57372500
>>57372586
Oh an fonts on Chromium are unfixable, they're not GTK dependent - blame Google.

cmus and mpv will not come in the standard installation because they provide mp3 encoding/decoding which is patented, and distributing such software without royalty in the United States is forbidden.

http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

Download both Free and Nonfree repositories for fedora 24.
Install them via double click (yumex-dnf) and confirm with password.
>>
>>57372500
should have gone ubuntu gnome
>>
>>57372500
I don't know what to tell you about fonts. I don't have an eye for what's ugly or not. Readable is my thing.
>compile and install cmus and mpv
Don't do that yet. You're new and stuff.
http://rpmfusion.org/
As root run
dnf install https://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm

You will now be able to install cmus and mpv from rpmfusion.org repos. Many codecs are covered by patents and Fedora aims to be runable by anyone including people who might be subject to paying for using these codecs. RPMfusion doesn't care about this and almost everyone who maintains packages for RPMfusion is also a Fedora package maintainer so you get the same quality stuff just from an unofficial channel.

The reason it's not working for you is you don't have the dependencies installed. Like for mpv you'll need ffmpeg and other stuff. For ffmpeg you'll need a ton of stuff. You can do a lot of the work automatically by running dnf builddep mpv. But if you're compiling it yourself you're probably doing it because you want to compile it with stuff not included in the default package. So you'll have to do a little bit of foot work to track it down. Most of what you'll need is packagename-devel packages. Which lets you compile stuff that uses that library. So builddep mpv is going to install ffmpeg-devel.
>>
File: sysdshit.png (122KB, 1228x754px) Image search: [Google]
sysdshit.png
122KB, 1228x754px
>>57371726
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight
>>
>>57372793
Wow look at all that stuff! It's definitely not a thing doer. That stuff is definitely not things.
>>
I have a luks encrypted drive.
It has a keyfile and 2 other keys slots.
I dont remember the other 2 keyslots.
How do i remove them using the keyfile as the authorization?
Appendeding --key-file=keyslot
to the killslot command returns it as an invalid arugment
>>
Clementine gives a livestreamer and gstreamer missing error whenever I try to play a song.What packages should I install?
>>
>>57373229
Sounds like your keyfile isn't all that keyfiling. Are you sure it works?
>>
>>57373318
Yes, manually mounting it with the same --key-file=keyslot command will unlock the device.
>>
>>57373343
Maybe your argument order is wrong for the killslot command
>>
I want get Comptia Linux + certified. Professor Messer isn't complete his course on it so who should I go to for the knowledge?
>>
>>57373362
I've tried it before killslot and after the slot arugment to be killed. Both resulted in the same issue
>>
>>57373229
cryptsetup luksKillSlot --key-file <key file> <device> <key slot number>
>>
mpv doesn't have window decorations and also doesn't use my input commands from input.conf or geometry commands from mpv.conf using GNOME on arch linux
>>
>>57373435
use gnome-mpv with mpv
>>
That OP is funny but wrong. Just look at Plan 9 to understand why.

Plan 9 is better in every technical way than Linux or BSD but no one uses because Linux/BSD are good *enough*.
The problem Winshit has is that it is haemorrhaging users thanks to retarded and pointless and evil shit like telemetry and forced upgrades. All those people are finding a comfy home in Linux and especially Ubuntu.
Steam is already on Ubuntu and has about 2000 games. There is far less reasons to stay with a shitty spyware OS now. All Microsoft had to was not be retarded but they went poo in loo crazy.
>>
>>57373623
>makes an informative post
>uses terms like 'Winshit'

you could have had a reputable post that could possibly be used as a persuasion on other forums.
>>
>>57373435
Wayland or X?
>>
>>57373732
>you
*You
>>
>>57373732
>questioning the validity of the term winshit

that OS doesn't deserve to be called by its proper name
>>
>>57373815
>*You
i
>>
>>57373842
poor baby triggered by words ;(
>>
>>57373732
>Other forums
>He cares about other forums
>He spends time on more than one forum
K
>>
>>57373916
>He cares about other forums
>He spends time on more than one forum

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

the installgentoo wiki is a 'forum'
>>
>>57373973
I've never read an good argument that argues the definition of a word.
>>
>>57374016
My response to people who argue about the definitions of words is to ask them what word they will use to define the words they're using to define those words
>>
>>57374016
thats called an anecdote
>>
>>57374062
Please provide one interesting argument on this subject.
>>
>>57374162
which subject in specific ?
>>
>>57374186
>Ha! That'll show them!
>>
>>57374292
Ha ha
>>
So, uh, Linux is pretty neat right guys?
>>
>>57374397
Yes, yes it is.
>>
>>57374397
satan's cooler
>>
>>57374397
>Linux
You probably mean Linux/systemd, or as I like to call it, Linux+systemd
>>
>>57374397
Beat this
$ lsmod | wc -l
>>
I always feel the need to want to distro hop. I've bounced back and forth between the same four with different DE/WM's but always end back up with xfce.

Is there a distro hop anonymous club
>>
File: 36h.png (531KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
36h.png
531KB, 1280x800px
My time on ubuntu was short but fun

>before installing ubuntu: made stage3 of gentoo root and upload to ftp server
>boot live cd
>wipe /
>download and extract stage3
>chroot
>grub-install /dev/sda
>grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

its like i never installed ubuntu to begin with
>>
>>57373788
wayland
>>
After 15 months of Linux, I've decided to go back to Windows. For my usage, it's just not worth it anymore...

I love Civ6
>>
>new bspwm and sxhkd releases that change some settings between them
>arch has the new version of bspwm but not sxhkd
>debian sid has the new version of sxhkd but not bspwm

what the fuck
>>
If I were to install foobar2000 via WINE, would I be able to use its iPod manager component without issue?
>>
How do I recover deleted files from an SSD?
>>
Why is it that disk space seems to disappear? Like I'll randomly lose a few gb of free space. I'll do df -h and the Size will remain the same, but the Used will go up by a few gb without me having downloaded or created any seriously large files.
>>
>>57375067
cache and tmp files most likely
>>
>>57374709
Try X
>>
>>57375067
You could try using `du` to track down where that space is going
>>
>>57374793
*giggles*
https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/790623451660881920
>>
>>57375067
Use ncdu to quickly traverse directories and see what's taking up space.

For example 'ncdu -x /' shows my /usr is by far the largest. Then in /usr the largest is lib64, and so on.
>>
Quick question. When enabling the locales, if I want to display all languages, for example when visiting a webpage in another language, should I enable all locales, and not just English? For example in the past I would just enable english, and when I visit Wikipedia other languages would just appear as boxes, to combat this you must enable all locales correct?
>>
>>57375398
No, you just need the fonts installed.
>>
>>57375424
Which fonts include other languages so I don't have to see the ugly boxes
>>
I just posted on the old thread, didn't realise this one was here.

Anyway, I'm new to using any OS other than Windows so I started using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. My question is about the launcher. Can I have the icons in the center of the bar? I don't having them all the way at the top.
>>
>>57375440
noto
>>
>>57375456
Ah okay, thanks for you help kind sir
>>
>>57375452
Do you want to move the position of the icons in the unity bar?
>>
>>57375483
Yeah I want them so that they're in the center of it rather than at the top. I have the bar to the left of the screen by the way.
>>
>going through youtube subscriptions
>notice 'Level1Linux'
>'TekSyndicateLinux' is missing

nearly died of laughter
>>
LXDE
keyboard layout
how do i set it??
It works for X minutes, then it stops
setxkbmap -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll us,rs

>>
>>57376013
>LXDE
configure it in systems settings or in xorg:
>https://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/input/XKB-Config.html
>>
which hex editor should I use? it should preferably run in a terminal. though, vim in hex mode lacks features unfortunately...
>>
>>57376185
dhex or maybe emacs
>>
>>57376185
speaking of hex editors. I used to have a invisible char I used in xchat back in the day that would trigger peoples bios/system beep.
>>
>>57376250
that'd be '\a'. funny that it wasn't being filtered / sanitized
>>
Is Antergos Arch Linux or is it cooler to install Arch? If I use Antergos, I don't want my screenfetch to say Antergos, I want it to say Arch Linux.
>>
I'm getting in a new laptop tomorrow to replace the six year old mistake that is my MacBook Pro. I'm looking to replace the installed Windows 10 OS with a Linux OS. I'm a beginner to the Linux scene, but I was looking to choose either Debian or Ubuntu.

Any suggestions which one I should go for? I was erring on the side of Debian; anybody have any reasons why I shouldn't? Should I spend a few days installing Gentoo instead?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-11-04_01-46-24.png (14KB, 520x336px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-11-04_01-46-24.png
14KB, 520x336px
>>57376310
wtf just install arch if that's what you want. it's really easy because the wiki is so explanatory and profound. or just screenfetch -D arch if that makes you happy
>>
>>57372638
>>57372745
Thanks, everything sailing smoothly. Funnily enough my intention was to install rpmfusion but I completely forgot about it.

>>57372586
It appears the second command line isn't working.
>>
>>57376206
thanks. dhex was exactly what I was looking for
>>
>>57376366
>remove mbp hdd
>put hdd in new laptop
>enjoy OSX on new laptop
oh, wait, you cant.

Use whichever is appealing. Arch,Debian,Gentoo and Ubuntu will allow you more 'freedom*' than niche systems

* freedom as in; ability to use the OS in any direction desire. not 'freedom' as in RMS free.
>>
>want freedom
>like vidya

wat do?
>>
>>57376409

using the distro specific flag is cheating
>>
>>57376520
get into CS and get hired by Nvidia to push for linux drivers, then lobby different studios to push for linux versions

otherwise just use a dual boot
>>
>>57376461
I was thinking of taking the MBP HDD out and plugging it into my current desktop PC. Back up the files, format the drive, and that's another 500GB easy.

But I'll look into Arch as well. I doubt I'll touch Gentoo until I know what I'm doing.
>>
>>57376271
it eventually did. It was connected to the guys eggdrop and checking the bot log he caught on to our shenanigans.
>>
Best mp3 metadata editor for fedora?
>>
Any ideas?
Terminal is broken with this particular GTK theme - Trying to go for the Windows 9.x feel with this particular rice.

-Menu items are clumped next to each other
-Highlights don't appear when i try to hover over the menu
-Happens in xfce4-terminal, gnome-terminal, and mate-terminal (I don't know any other terminals lol)
>>
>>57376865
mp3diags
>>
>>57376366
Ubuntu is more likely to JUST WERK out of the box, but Debian is by no means difficult to pick up. Use whichever.
>>
>>57376520
dual boot or gpu passthrough
or just play linux games and own some consoles/handhelds

mixture of whatever the fucck

>>57376366
UBUNTU
GO EITHER KUBUNTU OR UBUNTU GNOME

HARD TO FUCK THAT UP HONESTLY
>>
>>57376865
can you do it with ffmpeg https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_Metadata#MP3
>>
>>57376913
Looks neat, but would I have to go through each file, say of an album, individually to change the genre? If so that's fairly tedious.
>>
>>57376865
Forgot the other replies, puddletag is miles ahead of all others.
>>
Hey loonix pals! inb4 >>>/v/ but Deus Ex Mankind Divided was released for linux today. This is really cool to see so many games coming to our platform. Even if you don't game, hopefully you can appreciate the good it's done for linux in general. Linux users is on the rise, over 2% now, and the money put into games has really helped the mesa project and other driver related stuff. I think we have a shot at making it, guys. We're all gonna make it.
>>
>>57377524

i'm pretty excited about it. i only just found out about feral interactive, aspyr, and virtual programming (all of them work on linux ports). there's been a few big names release on linux lately and we still have 3 years left of windows 7. i'm hopeful that by that point we will have a big enough library ported over that most can comfortably make the jump over without too much of a headache, but we'll see.
>>
Thinking about getting this laptop but don't know anything about the graphics card, would it be a problem?

Dell Precision M4500
Intel® Core i7-740QM Quad Core + HT 1.73ghz 6MB cache
8 GB ram DDR3 (Max 16Gb Ram)
500 GB SATA
Nvidia Quadro FX1800 1GB
Lcd 15.6” Full HD 1920x1080
Camara Web, Wifi, DVD burner

I'm also a bit confused about the processor, I have a core2duo 2.2ghz right now, would this one seem much faster?
>>
Is there anywhere I can practice using irc without looking like an idiot?
>>
>>57378161
make your own server on localhost.
create a channel on efnet or lightirc
>>
>>57378161
just lurk in a couple of channels for a while.
>>
>>57378161
>practice using irc
This is the most bizarre concept I've ever heard. Why would you not just use it? Shit post on some random channel if you want to "practice". What the fuck that entails beats me though, what is there to be "good" at?
>>
I bought a seagate NAS only compatible with win vista through 8, and before you meme me about falling for the seagate meme, does anyone know how to connect a linux computer to it? Is there a program for browsing network storage? When I try to connect to the network it fails, I'm running the latest version of MATE
>>
Can someone help me figure out how to do the following:
- Change font and size in URVXT terminal emulator
-remove the scroll bar to the left of the terminal

I know you do this in .Xresources but im still struggling finding information
>>
>>57377057
i had intrest in this too. so i wrote a script. Bash gurus pls scrutinize
#!/bin/bash
R='\033[0;31m'
NC='\033[0m'
B='\033[0;34m'
G='\033[0;32m'
LB='\033[1;34m'
F=$(ls -1 | grep .mp3)
if [[ $F ]] || [[ $@ == *"-h"* ]]; then
for i in "$@"
do
case $i in
-a=*|--artist=*)
Artist='-metadata artist='${i#*=}
shift # past argument=value
;;
-A=*|--alart=*)
Album='-metadata album_artist='${i#*=}
;;
-g=*|--genre=*)
Genre='-metadata genre='${i#*=}
;;
-y=*|--year=*)
Year='-metadata date='${i#*=}
;;
*)
# unknown option or -h for help
echo -e "${R}Yo Breh! check your options:${NC}"
echo
echo -e "${G}-a=|--artist=Artist${NC}"
echo -e "${B}-A|--alart=AlbumArtist${NC}"
echo -e "${G}-g|--Genre=Genre${NC}"
echo -e "${B}-y=|--year=Year${NC}"
echo
exit 0
;;
esac
done
if [[ ! -d converted ]]; then
mkdir converted
for a in *.mp3; do
f="${a[@]/%mp3/mp3}"
echo -e "${LB}$a${NC}"
ffmpeg -n -loglevel panic -stats -i "$a" $Artist $Genre $Album $Year -codec copy converted/"$f"
done
else
echo -e "${R} Folder 'converted' exists | Check contents before re-running ${NC}"
fi
else
echo -e "${LB}Welp. Nothing to see here${NC}"
fi

>>57378686
URxvt.scrollBar: false
URxvt.font:xft:Terminus:pixelsize=9
URxvt.geometry: 65x60
>>
>>57378686
URxvt.font: use something like >>57378823 does or xfontsel depending on the font
URxvt.scrollBar: false
>>
how can I customize the top bar in gnome? like move the time/date to the right, change the color, etc
>>
>>57378962
probably gnome tweak tool + gnome extensions
>>
>>57378962
if you're using gnome shell
https://extensions.gnome.org/
>>
>>57378973
>>57378975
why do they make it so hard? in xfce you just drag and drop the time over in the panel
>>
>>57378998
gnome likes to watch its users suffer, like when they dropped gnome and caused those forks
>>
So how shit is Arch-OpenRC other than the fact that it's Arch?

I just really, really, really like pacman okay.
>>
is there any way to control where exactly on the screen an app will open? It's a bit annoying having my terminal always open in the bottom right and having to drag it to the center
>>
>>57378998
I actually think what they were going for is pretty genius from an ease of use standpoint
but it's pretty much yet another example of how fucked the linux community is due to how many directions people want to take everything in
>>
show us your cat /var/lib/denyhosts/users-invalid /g/

http://pastebin.com/2A3cEskR
>>
>>57379013
if you're using xterm you could simply set: or similar as default, by editing its desktop file or keybinding
 xterm -geometry 85x45+200+40 

else read your terminals manpage
>>
>>57379013
you could use something like pytile to have it open at a specific location
>>
>>57379048
>>57379060
thanks I'll try both
>>
>>57371364
>that pic
fuck that hit me hard.
>>
>>57373623
>Plan 9
Sell me on plan 9
>>
>>57379094
it's Unix turned up to 11
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132KB, 1922x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132KB, 1922x1080px
how can I change the word "Applications" in the top left?
>>
>>57379185
maybe with dconf-editor
>>
>>57379133
Need more info, why's it better than Linux?
>>
>>57378823
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
>>
>>57379013
devilspie
>>
>>57379425
http://www.gusnan.se/devilspie2/
>>
I keep hearing that Arch is terrible and is shit for business and personal use.

What's a better alternative? I just want to rice my desktop and watch anime
>>
>>57379895
you can rice any distro.
Just start with something minimal like the debian net install.
>>
>>57379895
Arch is perfect for personal use
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-04_07-45-50.png (107KB, 1231x986px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-04_07-45-50.png
107KB, 1231x986px
>>57379411
>http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
your lack of input is inconvenient but i will assume which part you are referring to

(left)
F=$(ls -1 | grep .mp3)
if [[ $F ]]

(right)
 for f in *.mp3; do
[[ $f ]]

running the same script:
Left; checks for any mp3 then continues and finishes.
Right; checks for the first mp3 then continues but when it completes, it executes for the next and so on until it reaches the final file.
what you're referencing requires a near full overhaul and gains nothing but satisfying someone else's syntax preferences

f1 () {
F=$(ls -1 )
if [[ $F ]]; then
echo "f1"
fi
}

f2 () {
for f in *; do
[[ -e $f ]] || continue
echo "f2"
done
}

f1
f2
this script replicates the issue
>>
I want to use something like ubuntu but their datamining shenanigans are not nice, and GNU got mad at them for the whole Wayland/Mir thing. Kubuntu uses Wayland because KDE, the wiki says it eats more RAM... what do I get in return? Is KDE that much prettier?
>>
>>57379934
You could just
if echo *.mp3 >/dev/null; then

if you are just checking the exit status.
>>
File: a.png (24KB, 434x265px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
24KB, 434x265px
>>57371610
>>
I have 3 hdds. I want to install windows and linux on two separate disks, but when I do this the MBR is hijacked by the last os I installed. Is it possible to install two os's in such a way that the boot order in the bios options decides if windows or linux are going to boot?
>>
Sometimes windows just forces itself to the top of the order regardless of what you set.
Otherwise should work fine, just make sure that you don't have the disc with the other OS plugged in when you install the second OS. Afterwords you can plug the other disk back in and use the grub OS-prober to make a grub entry for it.
>>
>>57380273
meant for >>57380207
>>
>>57376880
Some themes can fuck up everything
1. change to normal theme
2. go to .config folder
3. remove gtk-3.0 folder
4. restart your programs
>>
I've been running crunchbang linux on my aging laptop for a while now, but one day it stopped booting. I turned instead to Puppy. It's quite lightweight designed to always run in livecd mode, booting from a USB stick and storing shit it needs in RAM, so it felt like a reasonable choice for an old, shitty computer that might well be suffering from a failing hard drive that isn't worth the trouble to replace.

It features some rather... odd design decisions however, and I was wondering if there were any other linux distros that try to do the same thing, that I should try. Basically, one that runs well on a toaster that doesn't necessarily have a working hard drive. Puppy lets me do stuff like save changes into an encrypted filesystem image, and have several of those on the USB stick, and select which one I want to boot, which is neat, but not really a requirement.
>>
File: 1478035856291.jpg (9KB, 219x239px) Image search: [Google]
1478035856291.jpg
9KB, 219x239px
>>57371364
>he hasn't left the gaming industry behind
>>
>>57380414
Halo 3 got ported to Windows. That's what I've been playing, and having a blast
>>
>>57380409
Be honest, how fucking poor are you? I not intentionally trying to belittle you, I'm just genuinely fascinated.
>>
>>57380432
It's not my only computer, thank the heavens. I just want to keep it functional for, I don't even know, nostalgia? Some kind of retro hipster urge?
That said, I'm pretty poor, in that first-world "the government is paying for my education but not my video game addiction" kind of way.
>>
>>57380495
Just out of curiosity, what model laptop is it?
>>
Recently installed arch, now I tried to set my gtk theme using lxappearance.

What the fuck is going on with my fonts?
Is it using C as a locale or something?
Any ideas?
>>
>>57380581
>Recently installed arch
look no further LOL
>>
>>57380517
Asus Eee PC 901.
The battery's basically gone, I've replaced the keyboard once, and I had to take a soldering iron to the power jack because the center pin started coming loose.
>>
>>57380599
xD!
Amaze!
>>
>>57380581
Those are all arabic fonts. If you need then you will probably need to generate the arabic local.
>>
>>57380617
Well shit, I didn't even look at the name before shitting myself.
Sorry.

And thank you.
>>
>>57371404

Your window manager should be able to do that. If not, then it's a shitty window manager.
user openbox .t
>>
>>57376880

Download a theme which is compatible with your GTK3 version.
Hint: your theme that you found and which was last updated in 2012 won't work.
>>
>>57379013

>his window manager doesn't do that automagically for him
>>
>>57379895

>business use
Nice buzzphrase.
>>
>>57380617

> you will probably need to generate the arabic local.
Wrong, completely wrong.
>>
>>57380662
What? A good window manager would let the user use a dedicated tool for that to adhere to the UNIX philosophy and make it so that the behavior stays the way you made it even if you change the WM.
>>
>>57379013
The answer is to start using KDE.
>>
>>57380751
Fuck off KDE shill
>>
>>57380725
>muh UNIX philosophy
It's a highly-overrated, fallacious and pretentious bullcrap, that has a completely different meaning depending on who you're asking.
>>
>>57380768
Whatever you say. It's still true that what that anon asked for is trivial in KDE.
>>
File: 1458447494998.png (205KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
1458447494998.png
205KB, 1280x809px
>>57380768
Wasn't him, but did you just call me?
>>
>>57380770
>he can't switch WMs and still have behaviour he personally set stay the same
you know, portability is pretty damn useful.
>>
>>57380783
But it also leads to broken shit when the interface for different tasks inevitably changes, an suddenly you're stuck with a WM that does nothing but generate error dialogues.

That's why MATE struggled for so long and was completely useless in the first revisions. Well at least partly, the other reason was that Clemens was mostly occupied with rebranding everything because he's a narcissistic baguette
>>
>>57380770
>pretentious
*starts shitting all over your "face"*
uhhhggghhh
>>
>>57380770
>overrated
*drops a huge load on your distrobution of windows*
uhhhggghh
>>
>>57380783
Portability is for people who cannot write new programs.
>>
>>57380693
Thanks for the correct answer anon.
>>
>>57380725

>managing windows isn't part of a window manager's job
The window manager should also ditch its function of drawing windows and let another tool do that, just to adhere to the UNIX philosophy.
>>
UNIX philosophy, this standard and that, they're meant to be GUIDING, not enforced.
>>
>>57380799
That's a result of nonportable programs, not of portability.
>>
>>57380807

I can't tell you what's exactly the cause of it, but I can tell you what's not, narrowing it down. I don't have an Arabic locale generated and enabled, but it's showing fonts just fine.

I would look into your fonts and fontconfig. Something is telling me you installed Infinality or some other shit, which probably messed up a few font aliases and is displaying the wrong fonts.
>>
>>57380808
This is not about managing windows, this is about stopping programs.
>>
fuck your shitty "philosophy"
take it back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
>>57380828
Actually, it's the result of having a gazilleon different one purpose """""tools""""" and strictly adhering to the alleged """"UNIX philosophy""""

Any number of those separate tools might break, and render certain functions completely useless.

Which was the case with MATE, Clemens was too busy renaming all the tools into MATE-sounding names rather than keeping the old Gnome2 names.

This caused all sorts of extreme brokenness. MATE 1.4 for example, had the funny bug where you when renaming a file (either on the desktop or within the file navigator) tried to copy or paste a filename, the display manager would segfault and you would lose your entire login session.
>>
>>57380838

No, this is about managing windows. Closing windows is managing windows. Closing a window sends a signal to close the program.
>>
>>57380871

Clemens?
>>
>>57380907
My way of referring to "Clem", the head of the three(1) man team currently maintaining the "fifth most used OS", lol.

https://www.linuxmint.com/teams.php

I'm doing that on purpose because somebody called him Clemens instead of Clement or Clem in one of the Mint forums some time ago, and he sperged out. Apparently, the way french people would pronounce Clemens is earily similar to some yiddish way of saying traitor or something so he thought it was on purpose (since he is strongly anti-Israel).
>>
>>57380725
>>57380808
Just use client-side decorations, they will solve all your problems :^^^^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>57380871
Year of the Linux desktop, everyone.
>>
>>57380871
This guy gets it

The more you fragment your toolset into individual components, the more you limit the scope of what you can do without completely breaking everything

UNIX philosophy is self-stagnating, self-deprecating.
>>
>>57378823
this script has several style flaws:
- it is simple enough to use POSIX sh, no bash needed -> more speed
- don't parse ls, use a glob or a for loop
- never use uppercase variables in your own scripts so you don't accidently overwrite env variables, which are all uppercase
- > if [[ $F ]] || [[ $@ == *"-h"* ]]; then
quote $@ or it breaks on spaces
- > f="${a[@]/%mp3/mp3}"
here you're assigning an array to a string
either assign as array or use * instead of @
- >$Artist $Genre $Album $Year
always quote variables or they break on spaces
- don't use echo, use printf instead
>>
Is rsync the tool I wanna use for backing up my home folder /fglt/?
>>
>>57381030
Most likely, yes.
>>
>>57381030
Depends on what your requirements are

Personally I use zfs for backups
>>
>>57381048
Redundancy isn't backup.

If you're talking about cloning snapshots to a remote computer, then that's a backup though.
>>
>>57381053
Backup = redundancy + immutability

zfs provides both
>>
>>57381055
If your server catches fire, your data is still going to go poof. This is why ZFS and/or RAID isn't backup by itself.
>>
>>57380984
>always quote variables or they break on spaces
i've never had this issue before tbqh, not saying it cant happen though
>>
>>57381080
It's still good practice though.
>>
>>57380927

But Mate isn't related to Mint. It's maintained by different people. I also think you've confused Mint's X-Apps with Mate renaming the old GNOME programs.
>>
>>57381132
No I didn't. Learn to fucking read.
>>
>>57381088
>$Artist $Genre $Album $Year
with quoting should it be
"$var1 $var2 $var3"
or
"$var1" "$var2" $var3"
does it matter?
>>
>>57381146
Yes, mostly.
>>
>>57381141
>>57381152
either way, i can make changes now that i know
>>
>>57381141
dunno why i linked to you
>>57381165
>>
>>57381146
I doubt that case matters. I'd go with the first one.
>>
>>57381141

How do you know that it was him who renamed them and not a different developer or even group of people?
>>
Sup guys

I switched to Xubuntu not too long ago and I'm really goddamn happy with it. I have almost achieved getting what I wanted out of a linux distro.

The thing is, I'm a pretty stupid person. I like XFCE quite a bit, along with some other software I use, along with ubuntu flavors because frankly, I don't have to do much extra after installation. I don't feel as though it's the best experience, but at least it's been the smoothiest.

So a while ago, on both Windows and hackintosh I had different programs that would allow me to snap windows to specific regions of the screen, all with the ability to use keyboards shortcuts for that, but also the ability to drag and drop a window at a specific region of the screen so it would resize and position itself how I wanted it.

Basically, if you are familiar with BetterTouchTool, this is what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXdgSEcv9aI

Is there such thing available on any window manager or external program?
>>
>>57381256
Built into KDE.
>>
>>57381310
Is it? Ah fuck. I wish my computer wasn't so silly with KDE.
>>
>>57381318
It's not very extensive. 4 corners, maximize, half screen. That's about it, but you don't really need more.
>>
>>57381213
Go and ask him yourself. I'm sure he would answer your question
>>
>>57381349
Oh well then, nevermind. XFCE does this too.

I just happen to have a monitor with a weird ratio and 4 corners gets a little bit stupid.
>>
>>57381080
Run this:

#!/bin/sh

artist='the good advices'
album='quote your varables'
title='*'

echo $artist $album $title
echo "$artist" "$album" "$title"

If you want to bring your machine down, assign /*/*/*/*/../../../../*/*/*/*/../../../../*/*/*/* as title.
>>
Do I have to manually configure every single window to remember its position in kde?
>>
>>57381483
You can do it by app too.
>>
>>57381510
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>57381685
The meaning is impossible to make clearer. I suggest getting medical help, because this level of retardation is unprecedented.
>>
>>57381707
>reading comprehension took a shit at "Friendly"
>>
>>57381707
I just can't understand that. Sorry... Please, could you explain?
>>
>>57381756
>>57381768
Guise, you know where you are.
https://userbase.kde.org/KWin_Rules_Examples
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-11-04_08-23-21.png (13KB, 524x185px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-11-04_08-23-21.png
13KB, 524x185px
anyway to make this automated in xfce?
If pops up whenever I open alpha skype.
>inb4 don't use skype
I have to use it for work or else I would ditch it completely.
>>
How do I fix bus errors?
All of a sudden, python scripts that are in /usr/bin (deluge, redshift and youtube-dl) are getting bus errors when being called as user.
And by all of a sudden, I actually mean it.
I was watching some youtube videos with mpv and from one video to the next, I was getting bus errors.
I have no idea how to approach this problem.
>>
>>57381998
Is that gnome keyring?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME/Keyring#Automatic_login
>>
>>57382168
yes gnome keyring.
I purged them from ~/.local/share/keyrings/ then set a blank one but the box still showed.

That link helped thanks!
>>
>>57382082
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>57382207
That was the very first thing I tried.
And it didn't help.
>>
>>57382082
Might help if you actually post the errors.
>>
>>57382431
$ deluge
[1] 27835 bus error deluge

is what I'm getting.
Same for redshift and youtube-dl (just a different PID).
>>
>>57382489
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=46343
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1010002-start-0.html
>>
mpv is giving me
mpv: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol: FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

if I'll built it from git, it's only giving me
undefined symbol: FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

so I'm opening videos using
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6 mpv /media/hdd/Downloads/*.mkv

any ideas how to fix it? debian testing here
>>
>>57382889
try running an actual rolling release / bleeding edge distro instead of attempting to wrangle debian testing into being such a thing
>>
>1st question
I am running ubuntu 16.04 on my desktop and i have a second monitor in portrait and whenever I get to the login screen my portrait monitor is in the wrong orientation, any idea of how to change the orientation for login screen or to just turn it off until I'm logged in?
>2nd question
Resizing windows seems to be a bit of a problem, whenever I start dragging the corner of an open window to change it's size it's really really laggy and sometimes doesn't even really resize at all, any idea of why that might be? Also have a GTX 980 so i'm not really lacking in graphical power
>>
>>57382982
>distro that has bleeding edges
I'm not 15
>>
>>57382540
Those links didn't help directly in what my problem was (especially the deluge link) but the link to the Gentoo forum helped me more by figuring it out myself.
And I've solved it (I think).
Apparently, my / was full (df showed 100%), so I removed stuff that wasn't necessary anymore (some files in /root that I made to cache things and various logs from /var/log / /var/tmp were moved to ~) and that helped.
Now my / is "only" 95% full and things are working again.
I've never had the case where / was 100% full so I didn't know the consequences.
Now I do.
Thanks for the Gentoo link!
>>
pls help

$ svn list (link)

lists the contents of my SVN repository (specifically, I'm listing the directories in tags).
The command echoes a line-break separated list. How would I extract only the last entry in BASH? I don't know in advance how many entries there are.
I know the answer must be simple but I can't figure it out.

(crossposting from sqt)
>>
Mint -- Cinnamon or KDE? Choose fast pls
>>
>>57383194
svn list $LINK | tail -1
perhaps?
I don't know how svn list works (don't use svn myself) but that would show you the last line that'd be output.
>>
>>57383226
That's exactly what I wanted, thank you. Here's sample output:

$ svn list $repo/tags
0.1-stevens_original/
0.2-new_workflow/
0.3-line_based_system/
0.4-line_based_system/
0.5/
0.6/
$ svn list $repo/tags | tail -1
0.6/
>>
>>57383219
KDE
>>
>>57383219
KDE, Cinnamon is nice but outside of Mint i always had issues with it.
>>
>>57383272
>>57383283
fanks
>>
>>57383219
Not mint
>>
File: 2016-11-04-16:59:15.jpg (161KB, 1192x968px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-04-16:59:15.jpg
161KB, 1192x968px
Is Leighton Meester part of GNOME now? Her forehead would fit right in with the GNOME desktop.
>>
>>57381063
>If your server catches fire, your data is still going to go poof. This is why ZFS and/or RAID isn't backup by itself.
And if the earth blows up, your data is also going to poof.

There's no such thing as “redundant” or “not redundant”, there is only a degree of redundancy. You have to balance your risk assessment against the cost of protecting against them, anon.

Anway, ZFS allows you to replicate your volumes across multiple physical locations (`zfs send` / `zfs receive`), which is what I was referring to when I suggested ZFS as a replacement for rsync.
>>
I want to migrate all of my settings to another machine with similar hardware and it'll be the same distro. Would copying my home directory and some configs be enough?
>>
>>57384188
as long as the configs aren't hardware specific, sure
>>
>>57384188
Most normal distros won't care about the hardware at all, as long as the processor architecture is the same. You can just copy over the entire partition (or re-use the disk).

If you're using gentoo or another distro where you compile your own kernel, make sure you have the necessary drivers enabled for your new hardware as well. That's about it.
>>
>>57382889
Uninstall infinality
>>
>>57384188
You can copy over the whole system to the new machine
You could just stick the old machine's hard drive into the new one and it's very likely it would work
>>
Trying to install Ubuntu as dual boot since I have work crap on a windows partition. I have shrunk the windows disk size but when I go to install it isn't recognizing windows 10, and only lets me delete everything.
>>
>>57384511
post screenshot of installer
>>
>>57384527
I'm in windows atm since I'm working but basically it doesn't show that "alternative OS detected" thing.

It shows free space, but when I select that free space all buttons are greyed out.
My BIOS is Legacy if that makes a difference.
>>
>>57381461
You can even exploit variables like $#. Most people don't quote variabled which may contain only numbers, but IFS will even break these: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/171346/security-implications-of-forgetting-to-quote-a-variable-in-bash-posix-shells

"always quote"
>>
Is FreeBSD a distrobution of the Linux kernel?
>>
>>57384542
If you don't get the option to instal alongside an existing OS,you will have to manually partition your disk.
Here is a guide for the Ubuntu installer: http://askubuntu.com/questions/343268/how-to-use-manual-partitioning-during-installation/343370#343370
step 6(the separate home partition) in the guide is optional
>>
>>57384670
No, it's a rebranded Microsoft Windows 3.11, made by Jacob Appelbaum.
>>
File: 1471058560443.jpg (113KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471058560443.jpg
113KB, 500x500px
>>57384670
>>
>>57384672
Thanks will look into it. Im in ubuntu now trying to figure it out.
>>
>>57384685
wut?
>>57384686
oh I've heard of this fat fuck. Please don't post him here. He has crappy ideas (。ŏ﹏ŏ)
>>
I need a good movie editor. Openshot good?
>>
>>57384670
That was a serious question by the way. What are the advantages of using this distrobution?
>>
>>57384710
I haven't tried out Openshot.
But KDEnlive is nice, also libre.
KDEnlive did everything I wanted it to. With a more-or-less relative ease.
>>
>>57384766
FreeBSD is based on the original BSD (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution) it has nothing to do with Linux.
>>
>>57384789
I see. So is this distrobution of the BSD kernel (I presume) any good?
>>
File: ss.png (43KB, 803x553px) Image search: [Google]
ss.png
43KB, 803x553px
So trying to dual boot Kubuntu with Windows 10.
I shrunk the windows 10 partition but the Kubuntu installer says that I need a Root File System on the unallocated space.

This is a screenshot from GParted, and it says that I need to create a new extended partition. Does anyone know how I can do it?
>>
>>57384784
>KDEnlive
Nice, looks exactly what I was looking for.
>>
>>57384800
FreeBSD is the most popular of the BSDs and it's generally regarded as a good OS although it's used mainly for servers.
>>
>>57384844
But Linux distrobutions are mostly used for servers as well. What are the main differences between them if you don't consider the server side of things?
>>
>>57384857
Most Linux distributions aren't made for servers, they focus on the desktop and try to be easy to use. FreeBSD doesn't focus on anything, it's supposed to be a general purpose OS (like Debian) so it won't be as easy to use as Ubuntu for example.
>>
File: 1457431367534.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457431367534.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>57384857
>>57384930
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57384952
This
>>
>>57384952
>>>/r/linuxmemes
>>
>>57384930
>so it won't be as easy to use as Ubuntu for example.
That's not a really big issue for me. I can adapt pretty fast. So does it have any good and unique features if compared to Linux distrobutions?
>>57384952
>>57384971
piss off
it's called Linux. period
>>
>>57384952
Why did you change the labels? Linux is actually supposed to be the bigger once since GNU is entirely optional. I for one don't utilize GNU in my Linux system so calling it anything but Linux would be ridiculous
>>
Why do people use i3wm?
>>
>>57385070
It's not GNU
>>
>>57384974
>That's not a really big issue for me. I can adapt pretty fast. So does it have any good and unique features if compared to Linux distrobutions?

The BSDs have some neat features but for the desktop I don't think there are many advantages in comparison to Linux.
>>
>>57385070
either because they like it or because they think they are cool for using it. I prefer the first type.
>>
File: 1450483471078.png (440KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450483471078.png
440KB, 1440x1080px
>>57385021
Linux is just one kernel of the GNU system, developed 10 years before Linux. What people use today is a combination of the GNU system and the kernel Linux.
>>
Does anyone else use their router as a clipboard between computers?

Or is there a better method.

>pc 1 find something, ssh into router create txt, paste item
>pc 2 ssh into router, copy txt rm -rf txt
>>
>>57385096
everyone knows, no one cares. It's like that retarded kid that corrects people when they say Porsche wrong.
>>
>>57385093
>either because they like it or because they think they are cool for using it
This can be answer also for: "Why people use linux".
>>
>>57384973
>tfw reddit copied 4chan so much, people think all 4chan memes are reddit memes
feels bad man
>>
>>57385070
It's Linux
>>57385096
>people
What people? I don't use that and referring to my installation of Linux as GNU/Linux is retarded. Which is what you did in post number 57384952. You can use your GNU shit all you want, but don't assume all people make shitty choices like you.
>>
>>57385116
No, most people linux because it happens to ship with their operating system of choice.
>>
File: 1456434217953.png (478B, 492x312px) Image search: [Google]
1456434217953.png
478B, 492x312px
>>57385136
If unsure, just ask your system.
>>
>>57385136
>i3wm is Linux
your mom is linux.
>>
>>57385151
Yep. It says Linux without GNU/.
>>57385156
She isn't that great.
>>
New thread:
>>57385162
>>57385162
>>57385162
>>
>>57385096
>A single C library
>suddenly the whole system
only in GNU retard land
>>
>>57385102
this is ridiculously retarded but also clever i suppose
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.