[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 348
Thread images: 37

File: 1443067960708.jpg (59KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1443067960708.jpg
59KB, 500x281px
/SQT/ - Stupid Question Thread

Alright, you know the drill:

Last thread: >>57227077

If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.
>>
>>57235298
>If you can't be bothered to:
>>search it
>>lurk moar
>>git gud
not what this thread was for but whatever
>>
What is the difference between opening site from localhost/public and running php artisan serve on port 8000 in Laravel?
>>
>>57235380
I also don't get why we have to call it the "stupid" question thread. Is the implication that every "smart" question deserves a thread of its own, or that you shouldn't even attempt to discuss one on /g/? Just call it the Q&A general with an OP that lists common links for PC building and troubleshooting shit.
>>
If i underclock my gpu will it help with cpu bottleneck?
>>
I think I've understood the i2p faq correctly, and this appears to work (added the wording from the faq followed by the rules, in order, and changed my unique port number to PORT):
# Outbound UDP from the random port noted on the configuration page to arbitrary remote UDP ports, allowing replies
-A OUTPUT -p udp --sport PORT -j ACCEPT
# Outbound TCP from random high ports to arbitrary remote TCP ports
-A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 9000:31000 -j ACCEPT
# Inbound UDP to the port noted on configuration page from arbitrary locations
-A INPUT -p udp --dport PORT -j ACCEPT
# Inbound TCP to the port noted on configuration page from arbitrary locations
-A INPUT -p tcp --dport PORT -j ACCEPT
# Outbound UDP on port 123, allowing replies
-A OUTPUT -p udp --sport 123 -j ACCEPT

But since I have an i2p user and all, would perhaps this be better?
-A INPUT -j ACCEPT -m owner --uid-owner i2p 
-A OUTPUT -j ACCEPT -m owner --uid-owner i2p

Is the former more secure because it doesn't allow a user free pass through the firewall as it likes? Or is the latter more secure because only ports used by the user will be open at any moment?

Also, I'm assuming NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED state on all, but perhaps some should just be ESTABLISHED or something, like the outbound rule for tcp on the range of ports 9000-31000?
>>
>>57235497
No, that's dumb.
You have to overclock/replace CPU.

What app/game?
>>
>>57235453
a.) it's traditional
b.) there most certainly are stupid questions. since it's a futile task trying to get people to stop posting about shit they could answer in 30 seconds on google, we might as well call that shit what it is, stupid, and encourage putting it in one thread.
c.) new threads should anyway be reserved for something that a bunch of people can have an ongoing discussion about, not something where someone wants to ask a question, receive an answer or two, and then leave.
d.) the fact that the board doesn't live up to the abovementioned ideals doesn't mean we should stop promoting them
e.) you remind me of the faggots who tried to force the chink shit general to become chinese shopping general. Go correct someone else's record.
>>
File: Dwight_.jpg (89KB, 479x639px) Image search: [Google]
Dwight_.jpg
89KB, 479x639px
>>57235453
it is named Stupid Question Thread because of pic related. A guy on a show saying "I got a stupid question" but the question was actually smart. Something that can be searched online easily doesn't fit this board. The consumerism shit doesn't belong in this board. The pls repair my computer computer doesn't belong in this board. But eh, it's /g/, people doesn't give a fuck and now /sqt/ is just another containment thread for retards.
>>
>>57235534
> literally dress up your kid as a slut
> but why did my kid turn into a slut!?

HA!
>>
>>57235435
>>57235498
this is some high level wizardry shit.
back to Github & ServerFault with you! Shoo!
>>
>>57235552
OP here. I like to keep this pic >>57235298 and post it here once in a while, to remind people like you that a little girl that isn't in middle school know more than you about computer and isn't scared to use a terminal.
This, and the fact that you're a faggot.
>>
>>57235619
Wow, she can click a button?
WooooooooooOOOoooooooooooW

Do tell more OP!
>>
>>57235627
>tells you she can actually use a terminal
>picture clearly shows a terminal
>Wow, she can click a button?
You just proved my point you don't even know what the fuck is a terminal.
>>
What's a good alternative to google music for my laptop? I want to listen to my music in customizable playlists preferably offline.
>>
>>57235644
> whats a terminal
A terminal emulator
> he tells me
Yes, and he is an angel, totally not a pedo, just has little kids saved on his computer. [email protected] is his email, we get it.
> button
Yes, usually you have a shortcut on major distros to open a new terminal emulator, indeed anon. How fascinating!
>>
The other day someone in the sqt thread mentioned adnauseum, a fork of ublock origin that blocks ads and clicks them for you. Well, it doesn't seem that effective at blocking ads, but I'm using it and was wondering, if I browse youtube with this addon will youtube think I'm falsely clicking ads somehow?

I heard Markiplier got his adsense account frozen or something on his old youtube account, hence his making a new youtube account, because they thought his ads were being clicked on maliciously to them. I don't want to put my favorite youtubers in deep shit, or any shit, man. Sorry for the long question with context.
>>
>>57235674
She's not using an x display. No term emulator, she's on /dev/tty3
No button
>>
>>57235619
>She don't know how to kill a process in top
>hating python because it's... just

I saw the video. Staged crap. When my son will be at her age he must be able to reverse engineer iot shit.

:^)
>>
>>57235664
Also use Family sub.
It's like 10$ or something, and you can give it to 5 people.

>>57235696
> tty
It's a text only console.
Not a terminal, not a terminal emulator.
[X] AUTIST SPERG BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

Well, my work here is done.
Also, she could watch a Youtube in full screen. View an image fullscreen. View a tty in VNC. Yadda, yadda.
>>
>>57235711
>Staged crap.
No shit Sherlock!
Just like any other popular YT channel?
But no, you will ruin OP's wet dream, please DELET THIS!
>>
>>57235545
a.) So is anime shitposting. Fuck "board culture".
b.) Yeah, but not EVERY question is stupid. Naming a thread literally the "stupid questions thread" encourages the exact opposite, people will think that they're above it and post while saying "well MY question isn't stupid". It's almost like putting up a banner saying "only fucking retards are allowed to post here". A single line of "GOOGLE IT FIRST" would achieve the same effect and more.
c.) That's the nature of question threads, ANY question that gets asked will most likely result in a few people shitposting out of a twitch response, followed by somebody giving the OP a halfhearted response and the OP giving up. A really thoughtful question with a ton of effort put into it still doesn't warrant its own thread, especially if it's something complex that might need to stay for 12 hours before it's answered.
d.) No, you should promote better ones.
e.) You remind me of the people who claim that all of 4chan should be about anime discussion and anime roleplaying because somebody from SA 13 years ago created it for "anime", ignoring the fact that it's just a clone of generic Japanese BBS "culture". I'm not against using the word nigger, I'm against unfunny memes and "well it's always been this way".
>>
File: .png (430KB, 1226x527px) Image search: [Google]
.png
430KB, 1226x527px
>turn off font smoothing
>get shit fonts
Halp, how can I fix fonts?
I don't want to get back to smoothed fonts.
>>
>>57235696
Btw when Ubuntu got started out, every newcomer were sent to tty because Xorg, drivers, things fucked up.

Also small history lesson, even back then little kids, women programmed mainframes, wrote programs, etc. I know, she is a meme, but still: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ada_Lovelace

> inb4 feminist, femanon, faggot
Wymin coded more than they do now.
>>
hey man, can you guise stop talking meta itt, it's making my stupid question visible for a shorter period of time
>>
>>57235744
You can:
> turn it back on, in Display, adjust smoothing.
there are several options for smoothing.

Other solutions:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/make-windows-fonts-look-like-mac-fonts/

https://superuser.com/questions/108312/anything-apart-from-gdi-to-improve-font-rendering-on-windows

But I had issues with apps with it, so ... yeah.
>>
>>57235757
>stop talking meta itt
wow stop messing up the meta chi broseph
also if it wasn't answered, we don't know.

if it's some hi
>>
>>57235753
Not what I expected to learn on short question today, but that's some cool shit.
>>
>>57235757
some people browse thru the thread looking for unanswered posts, just chill and if it hasnt been answered in over an hour you can bump it.

try googling while you wait
>>
How much should I sell a fitbit new in unopened box for?
>>
In C
I need to get characters from the keyboard as soon as they are typed, not until a newline is issued.
Pls halp
>>
>>57235819
put getch() in a while or something like that?
>>
>>57235717
Ok, so it's not a fucking typewriter. Still, she can use commands without the use of commands, even in as minimal a way as showing the current running processes like in OP's pic. You said
>she knows how to press a button
There is a lot more work involved than you previously stated.

Yes, you could look at fullscreen color pictures and video in the framebuffer, but framebuffer is hard, and doing so would only further show off any technical skill she.

I know I've taken the bait, but I will admit that I'm an autistic neet, but I've got nothing better to do today.
>>
>>57235724
a.) >not liking anime
b.) So? Nobody's stopping you from asking smart questions. Telling people to Bing it before they bring it seems to have no effect on the proportion of questions that are stupid, which is large in any case.
c.) So then what's the problem with /sqt/ as it is now?
d.) I don't see how your proposal does that.
e.) so you want to change what shit is called for the sake of changing things? That accomplishes less than nothing.
>>
>>57235838
getch() waits for a newline
Nope, I need instant response, I know it's possible, I just forgot how it was done
>>
>>57235827
>Also which one, Amazon lists quite a few.
Fitbit charge.

>But maybe you should use it, being fat is not healthy.

Need the money for a guitar.
>>
>>57235841
> lot of work
Anon, stop being a facebook whore.

Pressing one button combination (ALT+CTRL+F1) - implying you have a default login manager or startx at boot, is no hard task.
Look I am not saying kids can't do amazing things. Just trying to show you that this is not one of those.

>>57235860
Well, Stackoverflow kinda the first hit with the answer...
It does not seem to be simple/cross-platform by any means however.

(It's weird, simple bash/bat/cmd can do it.)

>>57235887
> guitar
Oh, the usual pussy magnet.
But if you don't have the looks, it ain't worth much.

Anyway. It's like 120$ on amazon, so maybe 80-100$?
I would try local Facebook groups for fit junkies, they might realize what it's really worth.
Or craigslist, whatever you have there.
>>
>>57235908
>Oh, the usual pussy magnet.
But if you don't have the looks, it ain't worth much.

I've come to terms with never having friends or relationships. I just want it for me.
>>
File: .png (6KB, 681x222px) Image search: [Google]
.png
6KB, 681x222px
>>57235769
B-b-but I like crispy pixels, there's no way to see them in 2016?
>>
>>57235908
>Well, Stackoverflow kinda the first hit with the answer...
What did you search for? I came here because no google search I could think of would show up related results. I tried stuff like
>direct keyboard events C
>not newline wait input C
and some variations, I don't know how to word it for it to yield a result in google.
Anyway I think I found a related manpage in termios
>>
File: myeyes.png (124KB, 283x280px) Image search: [Google]
myeyes.png
124KB, 283x280px
>>57235958
>>
>>57235943
You know girls dig it, son.
Especially if you can even play a basic few lame songs...

>>57235958
What?
I am kinda lost here son.
> don't want ClearType smoothing
> but I want font smoothing
> but I like crispy

..eh?
Btw the settings for ClearType allows you to have a bit crispy looking smoothed font.
Just check it out already.

>>57235971
Maybe I am on the wrong question, but...
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1798511/how-to-avoid-press-enter-with-any-getchar
>>
>>57235994
>>57235958
ClearType settings is here btw: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
(left side then)

or use the GDIPP thingie, but it does MAC like look.
to me that's just eye-watering.
>>
>>57235856
Okay, look. /g/ needs a general for questions. That's more of a necessity than a recommendation. Preventing people from asking lazy questions that can be easily Googled and need no "social" input (i.e., personal and experienced recommendation for something obscure that Googling wouldn't solve because you get a top 5 list for normies from CNET or something) would benefit everyone, so it's something that should be achieved. Naming the questions general the "stupid questions thread" doesn't solve either of those issues. It doesn't solve anything, actually. It actively encourages people to post stupid and lazy shit, and confuses people who want to ask an actual question.

My proposal was to force ALL questions of ANY kind into a single thread, and give it an OP that very briefly solves the issues mentioned above. For instance, reminding people to only post AFTER they have Googled something, and posting links to some reliable and up to date recommendation guides on hardware and software.

Example of a question that can be solved by a recommendation:
>Hey guys what Android file manager do you recommend

Example of a question that isn't stupid OR Googleable and probably needs to be posted 2-3 times before someone capable of answering it even shows up:
>Hey guys I want to take the .so file loaded by this file manager app and redirect the IPs stored in it to analyze the traffic it sends, how would I go about doing that? I've tried x and y and obviously I cannot use common tool z.
>>
So I'm the anon who had trouble with the black screen and static meme last Thread. I think I narrowed it down to a faulty motherboard. Since the back 2 slots are fucked no matter what if I put any sticks of ram in there. And the front two slots still does the random crashing. I put in one at a time two at a time it did not matter it still happened. So can anyone confirm that it sounds like a motherboard issue or am I just [spoiler]even more[/spoiler] retarded.
>>
>>57236038
Woops not last thread but the one on the 24th I meant
>>
>>57235994
>You know girls dig it, son.
>Especially if you can even play a basic few lame songs...

True, but I'm too socially retarded to ever play for anybody.
>>
I'm looking at Dell Latitude laptops. Some are 14" and have Full HD 1920x1080 resolution. How does that work? Is the text tiny as fuck or is it possible to scale it to look normal? Is it possible to do that on both Windows and Linux?
>>
>>57236023
it would be nice but when people make threads and just omit those parts (google first, etc) i have little hope for any organized structure
>>
>>57235994
>but I want font smoothing
I think I said it retarded way.
Those fonts are optimized for ClearType/MacType, aren't they?
Older fonts were made more clever to look pixel by pixel, aren't they?
I think there must be sstem setting for those fonts?
>>
Is it difficult or wise to check and or replace the thermal paste on a motherboard heatsink?

Motherboard is a mis 970 krait sli if that helps.

Only one heatsink is k8nda toasty but I wanna make sure it stays cool.
>>
>>57236109
it's easy and could help. usually its just a few screws of even push-pins
>>
File: 2.png (32KB, 1202x931px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
32KB, 1202x931px
>>57236038
>>57236060
link it. we don't know.

>>57236065
It's okay, if she comes over, she sees it, "can you play something", etc etc.
Good luck with the sale btw.
And the learning. Fuck it's not simple.

>>57236068
Windows from 7 can scale. Though it looks kinda dumb/weird.
Linux can't, only latest Gnome 3 can ... somewhat.
OS X can only scale properly.

So... you will have some fucked scaled Windows, or tiny things.

>>57236075
Uhm you can set the fonts in your browser. In Firefox at least you can.
But yeah older fonts were made for no aliasing.
But on Linux, you can still find no-alias fonts.

>>57236109
Its' very easy to do.
Also you can buy an aftermarket sink maybe? It's cheap.
Or add a small fan?
>>
File: meme_sjw_fuckfox.png (72KB, 1269x968px) Image search: [Google]
meme_sjw_fuckfox.png
72KB, 1269x968px
>>57236075
>>
>>57236167
>And the learning. Fuck it's not simple.

I can already play, I wish I could play for people but I'm really bad in social situations like that.
Thanks for the advice, I think i'm gonna sell it on craigslist.
>>
>>57236167
Sorry about that

>>57221765
>>
Last night I spilled some water on my laptop keyoard. Today I find one of the caps isn't working. Took it off, cleaned the inside with 70% alcohol, nothing. Is it gone for good? I don't wanna replace a whole keyoard (again) for a single key.
>>
>>57236212
well, play for friend, crush, friends, and shit like that.
maybe a beer or two would also help (or not).
you don't have to stand in front of 30 people or play on a wedding at first, lol.
and normies will love if you can play a taylor swift song or some other pop song.

>>57236217
I say PSU.
What if you put in one ram?
Try to stress the PC if it boots.
Run Prime95. Works? OK. Run Furmark.Works? Run both.
It will freeze.
My 2 cents.

Also pull off other drives, hardware like CD and stuff to reduce power draw.
Leave only whats' necessary to isolate the problem.

>>57236229
It's likely shorting. No panic, just wait until it dries.
My mechanical keyboard dried for 2 weeks.
My ThinkPad for 4 days straight with a fan in front.

It's hard to get the water out, like you don't even know where it's at, and one little drop can short it.
But it does no damage.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161025-135013.png (189KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161025-135013.png
189KB, 1440x2560px
Can anyone help me fix this? On marshmallow, switching to a different app isn't really an option.
>>
File: DVI VGA.jpg (41KB, 488x352px) Image search: [Google]
DVI VGA.jpg
41KB, 488x352px
I'm thinking of buying an entry level Radeon RX 460 but my monitor is an older CRT and only supports VGA (in fact the cable is hardwired to it).

I know the DVI-to-VGA adapters are cheap but I'm confused by DVI cause there seems to be a million versions of DVI.

How do I know which version is appropriate for which ever GPU I get?
>>
>>57236139
>>57236167
Well I got a new gpu cooler so I was going to remove the stock and fan and use it as a spot cooling fan of it helps.

Just never messed with thermal paste so making sure there's nothing to fret over.
>>
Not really a question but have nowhere else to ask so...

Can someone share the /g/ macbook bingo for the keynote?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161025-135018.png (46KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161025-135018.png
46KB, 1440x2560px
>>57236298
And yes show SD card is checked
>>
>>57236307
as long as it's not metallic based paste you cant fuck up
>>
Okay I wanna make money in IT what is the quickest easiest way to make 40k a year.
>>
>>57236298
>>57236340
>>
>>57236323
Make an app with microtransactions.
>>
File: no-mans-sky-08-18-16-1.jpg (191KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
no-mans-sky-08-18-16-1.jpg
191KB, 1920x1080px
>>57236323
>make a shitty space exploration game
>get sony to back you
>hype it to death for 1+ years citing amazing features
>release with tribble-AYYY pricetag
>>
How much should I sell an imac g3 with no mouse or keyboard for?
>>
>click restore tabs on chrome
>computer crashes
>sound still working
>puddi puddi playing
AAAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>57236192
>implying I didn't do that already
Skype has the same issues but I don't see if there some font change setting.
>>
Do you know an app that locks your phone for 5 mins after using it for say 20 min ? Getting mental I've been looking for this for hours
>>
>>57236430
List it for $15 but expect to sell it for $10. Its so slow, especially if OS X is on it that it cant even be justified as a net-top. Its just a shitty ancient desktop.
>>
Best Z77 1155 ATX mobo replacement I can get from Amazon that is not GigaShit? Because Anon asked before, I have been burned by a combo of bad build quality and bad customer service from GigaShit so I prefer not to support them. If there they happen to be the best viable option I would still consider it.
>>
Are there any good introductions to coding graphics in C that aren't made by Indian people?
>>
>>57236469
$10? I see them on ebay for like $90 all the time. You don't think at least $50?

>, especially if OS X is on it that it cant even be justified as a net-top

It's got mac os 10 I think on it.
>>
>>57236466
Self Discipline 1.2
>>
>>57236513
good god, nvm just checked craigslist. cheapest i saw was like $40, so what the hell, try $50 or 60.
>>
>>57236167
Hmm... So would you suggest to avoid FHD resolution on a 14" laptop? Though FHD usually is IPS and has superior color accuracy, and 1600x900 panels are quite ugly in color reproduction.

What do you think?
>>
>>57235958
I like this as well. Not seeing the pixels of the fonts triggers my autism

I remember when i was 8, i counted all the pixels and found out that it was 1025 in a row
>>
>>57236530
Yeah I tried that, it works for quite a while, but i need something that "forces me" back into it after I've taken a break. Problem being my phone is my only internet access, and I often need it to solve problems.
>>
File: s-l1000 DVI to HDMI.jpg (26KB, 600x289px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000 DVI to HDMI.jpg
26KB, 600x289px
>>57236305
Check the DVI port on the RX 460, then go nigger an image of the various DVI ports, there's a fucking list
>>
>>57236743
set a timer
>>
>>57236267
I don't understand how it could be a psu problem, I only have a msi 270x and Intel i5 4960k with a 750 watt power supply
>>
sorry for my stupid question, /g/

So I'm reinstalling my OS and decided to make a torrent for all my files I want to keep. Unfortunately, I don't actually know how torrents work. I created a torrent file and am currently seeding it in Vuze. My question is: I can just email this .torrent to myself, reinstall the OS, download the .torrent file and install Vuze, and get all my files just fine, right?
>>
>>57236838
If somebody else downloaded the torrent and is actively seeding it, sure. Otherwise you're looking for something like Freenet.
>>
>>57236838
No. When you turn off your computer, seeding stops. When you reinstall your computer, the files are gone. The torrent file is useless then.
>>
My 1/4 inch jack got a bit rusty. Is it okay if i use acetone to clean it?
>>
>>57236897
>>57236884
thank you. I'll seed it from another computer then
>>
>>57236838
make a partition and put the files there and install the OS on the other partition.

if it's less than 50GB you can upload it to Mega.nz for free.
you could probably make multiple accounts.

or get a second drive, internal or external.
>>
>>57236537

Alright, thanks.
>>
Is it possile to edit an animated .gif frame vy frame on Photoshop? If not, which program should I use? The simpler the vetter
>>
>>57236969
the gimp can do that
>>
>>57236803
No I really need a "nowillpower-proof" way to do that, as I cannot afford to do this kind of shit anymore
>>
File: 1471190425019.gif (3MB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471190425019.gif
3MB, 658x800px
I'll be building a new rig in a short while and I'm conflicted about the OS. I want to stick with Win 7 just like I'm using now but I also want to be able to use DX12. Apparently in order to be able to access DX12 you need to also have Win 10.

I'm stuck between a rock and a cucked place. What is everyone else doing? Just avoiding DX12? I doubt anyone actually willingly installs Windows 10... right?
>>
File: gifediting.jpg (208KB, 1296x783px) Image search: [Google]
gifediting.jpg
208KB, 1296x783px
>>57236969
Yup, not sure if there's anything simpler that does it. Maybe Krita or Paint.NET.
>>
>>57237044
get enterprise edition
>>
Why do OSs' make PAE optional? Like, does PAE have any downsides? I can only see positives.
>>
MPC-HC pauses everytime I click, how do I disable this? Can it restart a vid from where it was closed like VLC?
>>
>>57235298
best flac to mp3 converter?
>>
Does anyone know of a "software GPU" kind of thing? I don't need any actual performance, but I have an application that refuses to work without a GPU despite the portions of it I want to use not actually doing anything with the GPU.
>>
>>57237257
VMware?
>>
>>57237257
To add to this, I think it needs to be (or at least say that it is) DirectX capable. OpenWRT unfortunately seems to be OpenGL only.
>>
>>57237304
Fuck, OpenSWR*

>>57237302
KVM. I know ESXi has a software rendering feature as well as various forms of GPU passthrough, but I need a type 2 hypervisor for other reasons.
>>
>>57237224
options -> player: remember file position
not sure about clicking to stop/play
>>
>>57237225
do you have a music player? Foobar2000 or MusicBee? You can use them to convert it.
>>
>>57237225
>>57237399
Also, if the player asks for LAME.exe, download this. http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php
>>
>>57237399
i'm actually looking into that right now thanks. i just point it to LAME which i just installed and it'll handle it?
>>
>>57237225
ffmpeg
simplest syntax
>>
I have a Windows 10 VM that I use to run Tor. I always keep a VPN running in my host to greatly increase my privacy. Yesterday for a short second I started it from Suspend mode (Had Alphabay pages open) and forgot to start my VPN. I suspended it as soon as I could.

Should I be worried?
>>
>>57236563
Bump
>>
>>57237103

Windows 10 Enterprise? Is this a meme?
>>
>>57237650
Yes. No.
>>
File: nothingtonicoabout.png (269KB, 455x585px) Image search: [Google]
nothingtonicoabout.png
269KB, 455x585px
what's a good program to purge data off some hdds? I'm not talking dban, more like something that can burn the eyebrows off some external storage devices and make file recovery next to impossible
>>
So a few minutes ago i called srm (secure-delete) on a directory without using -r. I seriously doubt anything odd happened but what do you think might have occurred?
>>
>>57237758
CCleaner can wipe free space as many times you want.
>>
>>57235298
Why does my monitor flicker brightness levels whenever it's on a black screen?
>>
>>57237821
Maybe a faulty backlight driver, maybe you have dynamic contrast ratio turned on.
>>
>>57236466
Bump
>>
>>57237821
check your cables make sure they are on tight is the only thing i can think of atm.
>>
every time i reverse image search a weeb drawing with google it seems the most realistic site result is danbooru, but gelbooru is not. Why is this, if both sites host the image?
>>
>>57237857
use IQDB instead for weeb images

one image might be altered in some way.
>>
>>57237897
Thanks for the protip. Cheers. But like, I reverse image search >>57237771 by feeding it to google, and I realized I always look for a danbooru mirror so I can find the artist name to search on gelbooru. It seems so stupid. Dunno why gelbooru mirrors never show
>>
>>57237528
>Windows 10
>greatly increase my privacy

Not trying to meme, but seriously? It's a VM, couldn't you at least run TAILS or something?
>>
>>57237918
they might be hiding themselves for some reason
>>
Crossboardfaggot here.
Looking for a $800 and less laptop that can take some moderate gaymen.

Would this be decent? Unless I missed something this looks like what I'm seeking.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315325CVF
>>
File: Untitled.png (11KB, 753x255px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11KB, 753x255px
>>57237939
Yeah, I've seen that before, but I don't recall seeing the pic related message on a gelbooru link before. But, maybe.
>>
>>57237936
Windows 10 should be fine with Tor honestly. I chose it so that I can use the PGP shit easily and do another things like that.
>>
>>57237956
It's client side monitoring and telemetry, it defeats the exact purpose of TOR. I mean if you're not using it to hide anything you're fine anyways, but what the hell.
>>
>>57238001
The only thing I use it for is Alphabay
>>
>>57237947
>940M

How moderate are we talking here?
>>
>>57238018
Is that like Silkroad or something shadier?
>>
>>57238045
It's like Silkroad. Haven't even gotten anything yet, I just like browsing around and looking.
>>
Anyone knows how to lock an Android phone after using it for some given time ? Like if I use it continuously for 45 min then it locks for 10 minutes so I have to take à break
>>
Why do micro USB ports become finicky with charging? What causes them to no longer charge when simply plugged with a charger, requiring instead now to be tilted slightly and/ or pressed-in a certain degree to charge?
>>
I'm backing up my bootlooped nexus 4 using adb pull. Is pulling the entire sdcard the same as taking a nandroid backup? I need to back up all my files to my computer first before flashing a new ROM since my phone storage is full. After flashing a new rom i want to continue where I left off with all my app settings, bookmarks, etc. Intact. Should I just pull personal files first and delete them off the phone in TWRP to free up space for a nandroid? Trying to keep this as straightforward as possible. Thanks for any help.
>>
>>57238022
Games I'm thinking about right now are Dirt Rally, World of Warshits, Arma II maybe some simulators. Especially World of Warshits.

There are these ones too.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234222
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834296383CVF

Maybe I should look around for refurbished ones.
>>
>>57238256
wait for nvidias latest gen gpu to come to laptops. if anything the older ones should become cheaper. refurb is an options.
>>
Do I really need an Antivirus?
>>
What's a good diff tool?
I use Beyond Compare (cracked) on Windows at work and it's pretty good, but I want a good visual diff tool for Linux.
What does /g/ use?
>>
>>57238333
yes.
>>
>>57238333
Not an active one, but if you don't scan questionable .exes before you install them, you have no excuse.

But scanning .exe files doesn't detect everything. I merely clicked "next" on a .exe file once and it began installing stuff that began installing other stuff and disabling defender n shit. mbam + JRT + adwcleaner (second of which is coincidentally by the same company as the first) as well as manually disabling my internet saved my ass
>>
>>57236322
It's arctic silver.
>>
>>57238458
responding to myself here but please remember to restart your computer and scan with every antivirus program I mentioned, until they each detect nothing. Then do it three more times if you're paranoid like me. All of this has to take place when your internet is disabled.
>>
>>57238499
so lemme get this straight, cause I am a little bit confused.
So, are you telling me that I shouldn't get the overrated ones like the Aviras, The Nortons, etc... instead I should get mbam+jrt+adwcleaner right? Or am I wrong?
>>
>>57238468
then dont use too much so it goes outside the chip's edge and ull be fine

>>57238541
just buy nod32 or kaspersky

they're not overrated if the user is a dummy
>>
>>57238541
From what I heard you should avoid Norton like the plague, since it's behavior is supposedly of that of a virus. Avira, I believe I heard it is good, but I've never used it.

I'm just saying that I highly recomment mbam + JRT +adwcleaner. The latter two are extremely lightweight, being mere .exe files requiring no install.

If your PC was infected like mines, disable your internet immediately, then scan with each of the three programs I mentioned, remove the viruses through them, then restart your PC and scan with them again. Do that until they each detect nothing, then do it again if you're paranoid they missed something. If your computer is uber fucked, scan with the above programs in safe mode.
>>
I have a Windows 10 computer I use for gaming, but I would like to use Windows 7 as well. I usually do work on my laptop (which seems counter-productive but it helps me think somehow), but sometimes I just like to sit at my desk on my desktop like the old days and work.

Is it easy to install Windows 7 as a secondary OS on a Windows 10 install? I did some Googling of course but I receive a lot of conflicting information.
>>
File: 3tiIhPI.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
3tiIhPI.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>>57238597
>From what I heard you should avoid Norton like the plague, since it's behavior is supposedly of that of a virus
>>
Can someone explain mutex locks for me?
>>
>>57238602
if you just want to do office stuff, do it in a virtual machine would be easiest and you dont have to reboot to use it.

but yeah it's very easy you just run the installer and choose to install it (without replacing the existing). you might have to make a partition.
>>
>>57238597
Just chiming in here for a sec on the Norton issue.

Its comical how shit Norton has gotten these days. It didn't use to be this bad. It was fine as a pack in Antivirus in the Windows 98 days.

>no it wasn't

fine whatever but it was certainly better than now!

If you have a problem, where Windows is throwing you weird errors or a program won't run eventhough all troubleshooting has worked removing Norton fixes it. I have no idea WHAT it is doing. Keep in mind you can't just hit unininstal no my son you need to find a Norton Uninstaller.
>>
>>57238659
hmm...

Always wanted to mess around with virtual machines might as well.

A good starting point you'd recommend? Looks like I have a couple uhh "providers" to choose from here.
>>
File: pls reply.jpg (239KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
pls reply.jpg
239KB, 800x800px
I've got a noisy hard drive that I barely use still plugged in my computer

Is there any way do disconnect it without having to manually unplug it?

Are HDDs supposed to idle so noisy anyway? I'm not talking about when about transferring data
>>
>>57238597
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>57238709
VirtualBox.

>>57238729
You can set it to stop spinning in your power management when not used.
>>
>>57235605
It's just some iptables rules, bro.
>>
>>57235298
I've searched it, but I think I'm missing the right vocabulary or something.

So in a linux terminal, you can't type something like firefox and it automatically launchs the application firefox. Same with say leafpad, liberoffice, ranger, etc. I can just type those "commands" and the application launches.

So my question is how can I creat my own "command word" for launching something that doesn't have one? My issue is with pycharm, which I currently have in a directory like
> ~/folder/pycharm/(everything in here, including bin/pycharm.sh).
To launch it, I have to use command
>bash ~/folder/pycharm/bin/pycharm.sh
which is annoying to type everytime.
I tried using 'tool-create command line launcher' in the launched pycharm window, but it ended up freezing and not producing anything.

Also, I've already tried different variations of commands like charm, pycharm, PyCharm, pcharm, etc, and none of them worked.
>>
>>57235298

how do you get so much mega bites through such a small cable?
>>
Is the Windows 10 telemetry meme real? If Microsoft is cloning everyones hard drives every day how is the whole world not in prison?
>>
>>57238755
thanks
>>
>>57238781
>>
>>57238754
by the way i tested the following and you can just google the acronyms to find the full program names, but

mbam = malwarebytes
jrt = junkware removal tool
adwcleaner = (... that is its full name, I guess. But I just clicked my .exe of it, and it asked me to download the latest version. It sent me to:

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

so that's the official site of it, for the record, it seems.)
>>
>>57237224

View -> Options -> Player -> Keys -> Play/Pause -> Change both "Left Down" to "None"
>>
setting up mom's new computer, it's a refurb for the vision impaired, so mildly non standard.
getting error 651 when i try to turn on the internet.
other devices work fine, isp claiming no ping issues.
>>
>>57238960
would help if you told us what model and specs and your network equipment
>>
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

>specialized threads:
Stallman/LINUX: >>>/g/fglt
PC buy & build: >>>/g/pcb
Smartphones: >>>/g/spg
Programming: >>>/g/dpt
Headphones: >>>/g/hpg
Torrenting: >>>/g/ptg
Keyboards: >>>/g/mkg
Web Dev: >>>/g/wdg

Read the sticky before posting, you can often find the answer faster there: >>51971506
Same goes for taking a minute or two and googling your issue first.
DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION! You wont get an answer faster, and some people look for posts without replies.

Redirect any retard creating their own thread with >>>/g/sqt
>>
>>57239002
dell optiplex 755 running windows 7 pro with the service running directly through the company modem.
>>
I have Windows Datacenter 2008 R2 on my computer, how do I make it more like Windows 7, so to speak?
>>
What's the best audio equalizer for watching shows?
>>
File: dfsdfsdf.png (238KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dfsdfsdf.png
238KB, 1920x1080px
Just turned on my laptop which had just got some windows updates (unsure if it's related) and now speccy isn't reporting mobo temps.

Any idea what's going on?
>>
>>57239079
>>57239002
>>57238960
never mind, i guess it just needed to be ignored for a bit, that was odd.
>>
>>57239199
none
>>
>>57238786
Yes, and it's because there's no need.

Better to save the information for when it's actually useful.
>>
>>57235498
How do I check the resolution of a windowed piece of software? I have want to set a custom non-4:3/16:9/16:10window size as the default for when it boots up, but I can't tell what resolution it /is/ aside from comparing it to other things.
>>
Which programming language and/or technology do I learn to get good job? The more *free as in freedom*, it is the better. I also don't have a degree and have heard it's really hard to be employed as C or Java developer without it. So I'm thinking about Python (probably Django).
>>
>>57235298
that default bash color scheme is the same as Gentoo's
>>
File: spec.png (37KB, 687x532px) Image search: [Google]
spec.png
37KB, 687x532px
this is normal
>>
>>57239542
do you like it when your cpu cries, anon
>>
>>57239542
> AMD
correct
>>
>>57239542
check temp in BIOS and with another software like openhardwaremonitor
>>
File: wtf.jpg (130KB, 1412x862px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
130KB, 1412x862px
wtf is going on here ?
I get these artifacts in youtube videos and gifs, they go away after the first loop but still
>>
Using uMatrix for the first time. Test post.
>>
>>57235298
Okay /g/, I'm setting up a NAS that will also serve as a plex server and an FTP server. I'm also installing several IP cameras, so obviously I need a DVR. However, I don't want the cameras to be exposed to WAN at all.

Let's say I used a mITX motherboard in my NAS, and that board has two gigabit NICs. Would it be possible to hook the NAS to my network, hook the cameras to a switch and hook that switch to the unused NIC? Would the networks remain separate?
>>
Why should good people always suffer?
>>
>>57239572
I hate it the most. One of my laptop is in coma because of bad summer season it had. Now i regret why did i not listen to it when it was crying :(
>>
>>57238776
Put a copy of it in /bin
>>
Does it happen with everyone? when you genuinely whine a little in front of your friend( a girl) and then she starts looking at you as a loser?
>>
>>57239942
Because they aren't.

>>57240052
Quit being a fucking whiner, you goddamn loser.
>>
>>57239877
I suppose you could, but you could just firewall them and it would be less trouble.
>>
Simple C++ problem here. The following code will only take a number due to the variable num. It won't take something like "cat" or "cat2". However, if I enter a number first, such as "2cat" or "2c", it'll return the number despite the user also giving some chars. Why is this? What can I do to fix it?

#include <iostream>
#include <limits>

int main()
{
int num;

while(1)
{
std::cout << "Enter a number: ";
if(!(std::cin >> num))
std::cout << "Invalid input! Must be a number." << std::endl;
else
std::cout << "You entered: " << num << std::endl;

std::cin.clear();
std::cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n');
}
return 0;
}
>>
>>57240095
They arent what?
>>
>>57240119
That's how cin works. It knows it's looking for a number and sees 2, which is valid to be seen in a number. Then it sees c, which is not numeric. It concludes that it's reached the end of the number and gives you the 2. If you did another cin later with a string or char, you'd get cat (or c if it was a char).
>>
470 4gb @ 209.99: https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-backplate-Graphics-11256-01-20G/dp/B01J1M4HA6/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477445624&sr=1-6&keywords=rx470

or

480 4gb @ 199.99: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Fan-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics-DUAL-RX480-O4G/dp/B01KWGSEJU/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477445624&sr=1-11&keywords=rx470&th=1

Which one should I go for?
>>
>>57238776
Add /home/anon/folder/pycharm/bin to your PATH variable in ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile whichever exists.

>>57238781
By cerealizing them. If the cable is big enough to fit a single piece of cereal it will work fine.
>>
>>57240095
Its very much possible that some times you stop pretending as a hero and be yourself. But girls hardly admire genuineness. If that's the case then we should let women get less importance than men in the society. They anyhow don't deserve it because of their cruel behavior. Not all women are cruel like that but most of them are cruel
>>
>>57238786
>Is the Windows 10 telemetry meme real?
Sort of. They collect way more than they really need to, and it's questionable how anonymized the data is.

>If Microsoft is cloning everyones hard drives every day how is the whole world not in prison?
Not everybody has CP on their computers.
>>
>>57240164
After tinkering for a while I started to think that was what was happening. Is there a good way I can prevent it from taking the numbers if there's also a char? One solution off the top of my head is to store the original input in a string and compare it to to another string with just the numbers. If the two aren't the same then I know somethings up.
>>
>>57240207
What's cp
>>
>>57239542
No it is not normal. Your CPU is going to die a hot and horrible death. Is your CPU fan still spinning and not clogged up with dust and dead spiders and roaches?
>>
>>57239285
Printscreen and paste into something like Paint where you can drag around the inside area of the window and look in the status bar to see how large a rectangle you've selected.
>>
>>57240260
Cheese pizza.
>>
>>57240321
Ok so its a joke
>>
>>57239199
Objectively, no equalizer if your headphones/speakers are decent. If they aren't, one that sort of helps compensate for them. Like if they're really bassy, use a setting that reduces bass.

Subjectively, play with it and go with what sounds best.

>>57238333
If you have to ask, you probably do.

>>57238180
Poor contact. Sometimes it's gradual damage to the port or cable, or it's broken. But often it's just clogged up with compacted pocket lint at the back of the port. You can remove this using a very thin tool or wire.
>>
>>57240358
It's not. Don't mention that acronym in private with anyone, for you'll put a red flag on it that's basically telling m$ "here. Look at me." And your comrade doesn't deserve that.
>>
>>57240430
What
>>
>>57240425
>But often it's just clogged up with compacted pocket lint at the back of the port. You can remove this using a very thin tool or wire

oh geez, trying this, because I honestly can't charge my tablet right now. I've had it plugged into my PC for hours while in sleep since it reacts faster to being plugged in in that mode, and every time I got it charging it'd fail seconds later. It drained from 14-0 and is 0 right now, off.

This really happened overnight and is making me not want to purchase a device that can only charge through micro usb ever again. Thanks for the reply, even after all this time. Cheers.
>>
>>57235298
hi

im running linux mint
apparently im getting cock blocked by proprietary encoding or someshit when I try to us ffmpeg tp convert an mp4 to webm

i get
Missing argument for option 'codec'.
when i go
ffmpeg -codec
>>
>>57240462
I feel pretty bad honestly that you're in sqt just looking for insight, but receive none. But I don't want to straight say the answer.

What do you think people get v& for, man... Like, the "p" is for pornography. How are you not getting this.
>>
Any uMatrix users here willing to Pastebin their rules for me? Thanks in advance.
>>
If my phone screen broke from a corner but the rest works just fine will it be expensive to replace?

Touch is working fine too.
Moto G 2013.

Time to buy a Moto G3 or G4?
>>
File: Squid-Girl.jpg (1013KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Squid-Girl.jpg
1013KB, 1920x1080px
Is it worth getting a MOBO with the Z170 chipset if I don't plan on overclocking?
>>
File: animamd.png (632KB, 572x571px) Image search: [Google]
animamd.png
632KB, 572x571px
I'm trying to decide whether to go with the rx480 4GB or 8GB models:

>TL;DR: Do you need more than 4GB Vram if your goal is only 1080p gameplay?

To my understanding Vram in the most common example would be utilized to a bigger extent when playing at higher resolutions like 1440p and 4k.

Are there any examples where you would need more VRAM in gaming specifically?

The only time I have ever even concerned myself with VRAM was with Skyrim mods and GTA V texture detail.
>>
>>57240599
Not really worth fixing
>>
>>57240656
I guess, its just a part of the screen that went black and the left corner cracked.
Phone is only 2 years old, sad.

I guess i will try to keep using it till it lasts.
>>
Recommend me a case /g/
Looks dont matter, something comfy to build in with good airflow, willing to drop cash on it.
>>
>>57240639
The extra memory isn't a big deal but the 8GB version has a 14% higher memory clock
>>
How do I manually boot into tty instead of a dm? Ctrl+alt+F1 doesn't respond at ldm login. No grub loader appears at boot, it's silent
>>
>>57240130
Good people.

>>57240201
I am nothing but myself.

If they think I'm a shitbag, a loser, a fucking faggot, so be it. No skin off my back.
>>
>>57240119
>>57240164
>>57240213
I put that idea I had to use and got the code below. It works perfectly but I can't help but wonder if there is a better way... Does this look alright?
#include <iostream>
#include <sstream>
#include <limits>

int main()
{
std::ostringstream oss;
std::string prevStr, currentStr;
int num;

while(1)
{
std::cout << "Enter a number: ";
std::cin >> prevStr; // store initial input in prevStr
std::stringstream(prevStr) >> num; // then place in num
oss.str(""); // ready our ostringstream
oss << num; // place num in oss
currentStr = oss.str(); // store what we put in oss in currentStr
// if prevStr and currentStr don't match up, user gave invalid input
if(prevStr != currentStr)
{
std::cin.clear();
std::cin.ignore(std::numeric_limits<std::streamsize>::max(), '\n');
std::cout << "Invalid input! Must be a number." << std::endl;
}
// else, all is well. Print the number
else
std::cout << "You entered: " << num << std::endl;
}
return 0;
}
>>
>>57240260
Central Processor, short for Central Processing Unit.

You'd be surprised how many computers can function without one.
>>
>>57240798
If you are implying that good people wont suffer then may be you are among the bad ones
>>
>>57240165
The 480, fucktard.
>>
>>57240799
It's less efficient than it could be. You're parsing the string into an integer, writing the int back to a string, then comparing the strings.

It would be less complexity if you checked whether the string contains all numeric characters apart from an optional leading - or a single e or E followed by an optional leading - if you're allowing scientific notation. If it contains anything else, it's not a number.
>>
>>57240820
is this like how many idiots manage to function without a brain?
>>
>>57240798
Ok its hard to be one face when you already have multiple. May be you didnt have multiple faces
>>
>>57240830
Not him but you shouldn't have enough faith in that guy to pursue any discourse with him at all. Anon asked a question and that guy's response was essentially "because your perception has failed". It's not an answer radical enough to even have any definitively quantified breadth or prove itself to be correct at all. Regardless of subject matter he basically selfishly ejaculated unsubstantiated opinion in anon's direction, rolling the dice to see if he'd blindly believe it, so fuck him, honestly.
>>
>>57240723
HAF X.

>>57240830
That isn't what I was implying.

All people should suffer, and there are no good people. If life was nothing but joy, would it be?

>>57240868
I don't think you understand.

I - and by extension, you - are a single person with multiple aspects.

When you interact with people, you must withhold and reveal several of those aspects to different types of people.
>>
>>57240841

thanks senpai, I was confused because the 470 was listed as being 512 bit
>>
>>57240885
Fucking please.

Everybody has a price. Nobody is absolutely good.
>>
>>57240943
I dont get it. Being myself is being one aspect. The real one. But having multiple expect is what makes a person suffer. Unless you mean a person should maintain one aspect with one person for all the time?
>>
>>57240987
>Regardless of subject matter

respond to someone actually conversing about that subject if you want to strawman and fling shit
>>
>>57240943
Not everyone suffers as much as good ones do.
>>
/sqt/ - the morality of deserved suffering
>>
>>57235298
If I use an Atheros AR5BDT92 on a custom build, will the Dell driver work?
>>
>>57240986
You're welcome.
>>
>>57240866
you'd be surprise
>>
>>57235298
If I upgrade from El Capitan to Sierra, will all my files be in place? I can't afford having to re-download software and what not that I might not be able to find anymore. Also I want all my settings to be in place without having to fuck with anything. Help would be appreciated.
>>
>>57241055
Yes. But it's still a good idea to backup any truly irreplaceable data first just in case something goes wrong.
>>
Since there's no pcbg thread I'll ask here. Would a 550w psu be enough for a 1050 and or 1060 gpu?
>>
>>57240989
> I dont get it.
You obviously fucking don't get it.

> Being myself is one aspect. The real one.
No it isn't faggot.

Do you even know the definition of "aspect"?

> But having multiple expect is what makes a person suffer.
No, it's not.

> Unless you mean a person should maintain one aspect with one person for all the time?
No.

>>57241006
Whatever fag.

>>57241008
Patently false.

Even if it wasn't, it wouldn't matter.

>>57241021
No.
>>
>>57241089
I've got a 550 W PSU running an i5 with a 1060 right now. Works quite well.
>>
>>57241105
what a terrible post

>I claim I am right

ok buddy
>>
currently running off of wifi as the router and modem are on the other side of the house. speeds go to shit a decent bit of the time, and stay shit for long periods of time. i hardly ever get the 3mb/s i pay for, and my isp doesnt do shit when i complain. how would i go about preventing/reducing the shit speeds? would one of those $150+ routers help at all? would any of those "wifi speed boosters" work?
>>
How better is the moto G3 against the moto G?

Specially in durability and water resistance.
>>
>>57241176
>preventing/reducing the shit speeds
without running a cable i mean.
>>
>>57241176
>my isp doesnt do shit when i complain
Of course they don't, the problem is in your equipment, not theirs.

A stronger router might help some, as might a wifi repeater that you place roughly halfway in between.
>>
Just grabbed a 670 in a 970 box at a thrift store for $25. Gonna test to see if it works, but I have AMD drivers. Are there any steps prior that I need to take before to make sure I can actually operate my computer? Or will the 670 work well enough for getting onto the internet with AMD drivers?
>>
File: 7Od8YMiX.png (7KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
7Od8YMiX.png
7KB, 320x320px
Is it possible o install launcher on MIUI? Make it more like regular Android?
>>
>>57241278
Uninstall AMD drivers, then switch cards, then install Nvidia drivers.
>>
File: 1477003228689.jpg (16KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
1477003228689.jpg
16KB, 547x480px
What's a good Firefox extension to add MP3 download options to YouTube? Even better if it has a batch download for an entire channel/playlist if possible.
>>
Are CompTIA certifications really all that great? What are the job prospects for someone starting out with the A+?
>>
>>57241140
I shouldn't have to go into why you're retarded, but I will.

as·pect (ăs′pĕkt)
n.
a. A way in which something can be viewed by the mind: looked at all aspects of the situation.
b. A characteristic or feature of something: a novel with many unusual aspects.
2. A particular look or facial expression; mien: "He was serious of aspect but wholly undistinguished" (Louis Auchincloss).
3. Appearance to the eye, especially from a specific vantage point: "many small unsightly hillocks ... that had the aspect of graves" (Edgar Allan Poe).
4. A position facing or commanding a given direction; exposure: a building with a southern aspect.
5. A side or surface facing in a particular direction: the ventral aspect of the body.
a. The configuration of the stars, constellations, or planets in relation to one another.
b. This configuration, thought by astrologers to influence human affairs.
7. Grammar
a. A property of verbs in which the action or state is related to the passage of time, especially in reference to completion, duration, or repetition.
b. A set or category of verb forms indicating such a relation.
8. Archaic An act of looking or gazing.

Having multiple aspects is not what makes people suffer, it's religion XD

No but seriously, it isn't. Suffering can be attributed to multiple different things, from pain, to being a piece of shit, and knowing you're a piece of shit.

Another way to suffer is to limit yourself from things, or have a shitty job, among other things.

Also, there are no good people. Everybody does something wrong or illegal and will willingly or unwittingly continue to do so, or will for a price.

It doesn't matter how much you or somebody else suffers, because it's your and their decision to make.

For instance, I am currently suffering from > tfw no gf, because I am "looking" for a woman that is not a slut. That's my decision to make.
>>
>>57241265
>your equipment, not theirs.
maybe, but at&t is known to ignore everything and just replace the modem. every. fucking. time. moving the pc closer to the router and modem doesnt change anything, but ill probably get a repeater just to see if it helps. a better router or a repeater wont be of much use if the issue is on their side and not mine, right?
>>
>>57241338
>youtube
>mp3
>download
>>
>>57241421
>a better router or a repeater wont be of much use if the issue is on their side and not mine, right?
None at all, since those address poor wifi reception issues. If it's on their side, a new modem or restringing the line would be more likely to help.

You can find out which one it is by connecting a computer to the modem directly with an ethernet cable and running a speed test. If it gets good performance, the issue is on your side.
>>
>>57240308
alt+prnt scrn to only capture the active window

>>57240520
only used umatrix for a week but here you go: http://pastebin.com/PvXeWDYR

>>57240611
yes. it gives you more options in the future and all the features. there are good ones for under $100 now so unless you're a ultra-nigger you should not get anything else.
ps. you can still OC non-K CPUs if you get a z170.

>>57240639
the rest of the card isnt really good enough to make use of the extra VRAM.

>>57240723
check some reviews and comparisons.

>>57241089
more than enough. you'd barely reach half load with a stock i5. but i wouldnt go lower watt because you'd be restricting yourself in the future. the PSU is actually one of the few parts you can future proof.

>>57241176
>>57241421
Do you have DSL or Cable?
And you do realize your contract says "UP TO" advertised speed, and that this depends on a number of variables, right?

And try using a fucking ethernet cable instead of wifi first to see if you get better speeds before you go buying some expensive WIFI shit that wont do anything.
>>
I've gotten 1900 newsletter subscriptions in the last hour
Wat do
>>
>>57241665
did you use the username+site at gmail com method when signing up for sites?

just delete them forever. someone probably leaked your email or signed you up for a spam list.
>>
File: nigger.jpg (86KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
86KB, 1001x1001px
how do i get higher volume than ''100%'' on PC do I have to buy something like pic related, if so how the hell do these things work?
>>
Im running win 7 on a 08 macpro no bootcamp as its a xeon board drivers no issue apart from sound - but i have a work around for that. My question is as this is an apple desktop running full windows (just wanna stress nothing apple) is there a performance drop?

Supplementary question.
2 x xeon quads @ 3ghtz i know there's no threading but do the cpus simultaneously use all 8 cores
>>
>>57241761
You need one that goes up to 11
>>
>>57241796
which one? is this one good enough?
>>
>>57241786
They should. I have a similar setup with rEFIt on an 08 Mac Pro, though it's booted in BIOS/legacy mode and not native EFI.
>>
>>57241761
turn up your speakers/headphones or get an amplifier

>>57241786
You're wondering if there's a performance difference when running Windows on an Apple computer? No.

If the application you're running is properly multi-threaded, yes they should all be running at the same time.
If not, they could be continuously switching the load around on different cores to spread out the load.
>>
>>57235298
Did I fug up getting a 4TB External by Seagate ?
>>
>>57241859
When did you get it?
>>
>>57241853
which one should I get, im listening on a PC...
>>
>>57241330
Thanks for the help, got it set up and its working well so far, hopefully I don't have to find out WHY it was at the Thrift store from using it.
>>
>>57241876
About 2 Weeks ago
>>
>>57241900
should be fine then, they got better since the great shitstorm a few years ago

but i still dont understand why people keep asking AFTER they bought something...
>>
>>57241909
Just wondering if the SG meme is real
>>
>>57241913
it used to be
>>
File: 000000000000000000000000000.jpg (21KB, 398x264px) Image search: [Google]
000000000000000000000000000.jpg
21KB, 398x264px
What do you store on your drives?

I don't use local storage much anymore. I was cleaning out my drives and had this revelation. I was using ridiculous amounts of storage before I quit video games. I had a good amount of storage used for music, but then I discovered Spotify. No need to store software unless they're cracks or similar, but they take an insignificant amount of storage. The majority of my storage is taken up by personal pictures. 72 GB worth. The rest is documents. Documents take a long time, for me, to accumulate. I use Google Drive for everything else and I could upload them to it, but it just feels weird because they're private.

Apple seems to have seen this coming and prepared macOS for it with their iCloud automatic file cleaning system thing. Is the future to have everything in the cloud? The only reason I'm keeping anything locally is privacy. That's the only definitive reason. I don't have anything to hide, but it's just weird having private things online. Take the iCloud leak for example. Not really fun to experience. I'd rather not upload something to my Google Drive that I would not like anyone else to see such as passwords or my erectile dysfunction diagnosis for example. That's the attitude I hold towards cloud storage, but is there any reason to use local storage aside from privacy? What do you use it for?
>>
>mullvad stopped their 3 hour trials
Reeeee
How do I torrent now without paying for a vpn
>>
>>57235298
Guys what the fuck my asus 1070 wont fucking get detected. It lights up and the fans spin and shit as opposed to not turning on at all if it weren't plugged into the pcie slot. I can't get my system to detect this shit what the fuck man.
>>
File: SkypePhoto_20160908_211620.jpg (47KB, 392x365px) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20160908_211620.jpg
47KB, 392x365px
Just wanted to say thanks to the anon from a thread or two ago who helped me diagnose that I has a bad PSU. Replaced it, and no more random crashes. Thanks /g/, you guys are alright.

Love, /a/
>>
>>57242003
movies, series, images, porn, games, documents, backups.

>>57242058
you dont

>>57242083
reseat it a few times.
whats your PSU?
power cables correct?
plugged monitor into right output?
>>
File: 20161025_211930.jpg (979KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_211930.jpg
979KB, 2560x1440px
Ok so here's what's up.
I bought all of my parts for my build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Vp4PFd
Got everything, set it up, bootlooped.
Tried ram in every slot, troubleshooting everything.
Running out of time for my RMA and none of my local builders were around.
SO I send back my cpu, my Mobo, and my ram.
I swapped out my ram with http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vWrxr/gskill-memory-f42400c15d16gvr
but everything else stayed the same.
So I got everything back and set it up today, only to be greeted with another turn on, fan blare for a second until turning slow, waiting about 10 seconds, and powering off with a click.
After a second or two it turns back on and does that again on loop. This seems to go on indefinitely, I've given it a few minutes.
So since I've gotten everything replaced with brand new parts, that leads me to the conclusion that it's me who's doing something wrong.
So here's what I did.
I set up my MoBo and attached my CPU, after that I applied my thermal paste and my heatsink.
Then, I added my ram sticks.
After that I plugged in my MoBo into the PSU with the 24-pin connector as well as attaching the cpu 4+4 plug.
I shorted the power switch and it boot looped me, which was what I previously mentioned earlier.
I had my Dvid duel port attached and it didn't show a black screen, but no signal at all on my monitor.
So I start looking for what I did wrong, first I try my ram sticks, one at a time, in each slot.
Nothing.
Secondly, I try attaching my SSD and plugging it into my mobo and my psu.
Still nothing.
The only thing I haven't tried yet was attaching my GPU to the card, but since intel and my mobo have integrated graphics I haven't tried, and I doubt it would boot and shut off repeatedly if that were the case.
So this begs the question, what exactly am I doing wrong? Is there something that sticks out to anyone that seems to be missing?
I'm running out of options and this whole thing is making me really iffy on the idea of building a pc.
>>
>>57242115
And to clarify.
I cant even get into post ir load my bios.
I've hit this brick wall for a month and I want to know if theres anything that sounds like im missing or doing wrong.
>>
How big do you think will be the largest hard drives humanity creates before civilization collapses and we lose the ability to create such technology?
>>
>>57242104
My psu is a raidmax 635 80 bronze 8 pin connector looks like it fits fine although If I compare the square to half round/half square connectors they aren't exactly 100% the same. It still fits nice but some rounded pins are in square slots.

I currently don't have the monitor plugged in because it just didn't work so I'm using the integrated graphics card to be able to use my pc at all. My old monitor is vga so I can't hook it up to my 1070 while my new monitor has display port , HDMI, and this new fangled blue tipped port to USB. I've tried having all 3 plugged and all kinds of combinations but the 1070 just refuses to get detected. I had a 960 in it's place.

I have a pretty old mobo I guess, h673-d2-b3.

Going to try to to restart pc with the new monitor to see if it will detect it now since I just put in a fresh install of pirated win 7.
>>
>download .wmv video file
>open in MPC
>cannot render
>open in VLC
>gets some repeating 'cannot render' error that blows up my VLC
>read comments on file
>"fake, do not trust"
Uh, video files can't fuck my PC up can they? And no, it was not a wmv.exe.
>>
>>57242115
Bootloop could be the motherboard.
Most probable part you will have to RMA.

Its not the CPU or it wouldn't boot at all.
Not PSU either.
Not storage because it would have to boot first.
>>
>>57242194
Older versions of windows media player were vulnerable to attacks via malicious video files, not really anymore.
>>
>>57242174
>My psu is a raidmax 635 80 bronze 8 pin connector looks like it fits fine although If I compare the square to half round/half square connectors they aren't exactly 100% the same. It still fits nice but some rounded pins are in square slots.

You might want to do something about that.
>>
>>57235711
Can I have a link... I'm interested to see this video.
>>
>>57242203
I just RMA'ed the MoBo too.
Is there any one probable faults on my end?
>>
>>57242235
What do you mean? There is no way for my to move around the pins to make it so the exact square or half square/half trapazoid pins to match the GPU. I figured it was only just the plastic covering which would prevent you from putting it upside down since square pins can't into the non square holes but the other CAN go into the square holes.

Is it possible for PSU to not be compatible with GPUs?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZkxfrH/raidmax-power-supply-rx635ap

This is my PSU.
>>
>>57242331
cold you post a picture of the pins cus i have a hard time believing you managed to connect them incorrectly cus it's all standardized
>>
File: frontopen400[1].jpg (40KB, 400x567px) Image search: [Google]
frontopen400[1].jpg
40KB, 400x567px
Picked up an old server, been building gaymen machines for years but I don't know shit about networking.

Is there a crash course on home server administration other than "install freeNAS lol"? I'd like to use it for file storage or as a game server but I'm not super clear on how to get started and I don't want to be leaving an open door to my network.

I pay like $0.06/kWh before anyone mentions power
>>
I need a laptop with a 4th gen i7 CPU.

it'll only ever be used when I travel (not that often) so it doesn't need to have amazing build quality. Won't game on it, don't care about GPU.

I'm going to get something used/refurbished. What brands/models should I look for on eBay for best value? ThinkPads? Looking to spend 600-800 euros max I guess? Hard to say.
>>
>>57242358
just hook it up to a router, open a port if you wanna let other people connect to a game.

install a linux server distro and install samba or someothing.

>>57242360
>4th gen
but latest gen is 6 and soon 7 will be out. also why not consider 5th gen?
>>
I'm not sure what's going on, but whenever my laptop (Windows 10) is hooked up to my TV, the HDMI suddenly stops working and Windows locks, going into a basic type mode.
Anyone else have this issue or know what I'm talking about?
How can I fix it, if possible?
>>
>>57235808
what fitbit?

also, $15 under the retail price
>>
>>57242405
whats your fucking specs
>>
Is there a google images API I want to be able to return images results from a string
>>
>>57242434
https://www.google.com/search?q=google+image+api

KYS retard
>>
>>57242344
Pls assume I did not do it incorrectly I don't think it would be possible without destroying the pins or the holes of the card. I don't think there is any configuration out there that is inappropriate while easily sliding in. The card has a red light glowing when it's just in the pcie and the light turns white when I also plug in the 6+2 pin. The only thing to note with my pins is that the there is a single pin that is rounded when most pictures all over the internet show 8 pin connectors as having that pin be squared as well.

The GPU holes are

Square square round round
Round round round square

While my pins are (in reverse as if they are inside the holes)

Round square round round
Round round round square

The +2 pins should be a set of one square and one round by mine are just both rounded unlike what I see the standard to be in pictures I'm seeing online but I figure the shapes are just to prevent you from placing in the wrong pins like connectors that should go to the Mobo instead. The cables I'm using are labeled as pcie.
>>
>>57242441
idiot
>>
>>57242517
take a picture

>>57242520
it's bedtime for you kid
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (1MB, 3840x4320px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
1MB, 3840x4320px
I'm replacing the shitty fans on my PC, I have space for 2 80mm case fans at the front bottom of my PC, when I first built my PC I just had the one fan (red square) that stopped spinning the other day.

Is there any point in adding a 2nd fan (Green box) next to it?

While the fan was working my PC was running at about ~75c under full load
>>
File: IMG_20161026_015107.jpg (500KB, 856x1220px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_015107.jpg
500KB, 856x1220px
>>57242541
The top right pin should be square but is rounded. Could this really be the issue I mean I used it for my 960 without issue.
>>
>>57242621

You can fit round pins in square holes, its designed that way, and is fine.

I don't think it's a PSU issue since your fan starts on your gpu. The problem can then be your motherboard or your gpu. Try a different pci slot, but it's probably your gpu.
>>
>>57242608
it'll get more air into the case, but you should really consider buying a new case.

>>57242621
that's normal
>>
How do I use chkrootkit in a live system to check a Windows installation for rootkits?
>>
Have any new low profile cards came out? I'm limited to only the pci port for the power, is the 750ti still the best bet? Or should I wait for the 1050? I see Zotac made a mini series, is that good enough?

Thanks for your time
>>
I know that /g/ isn't my personal tech support, but searching for Macbook solutions turns up more idiot q/a's than I'm used to. This has been going for nearly a week.

I received a non-functioning Macbook Pro (13" mid 2012), and after enough incantations, I can get it to power on. Be it in recovery, safe mode, single-user mode, or anything else, it will stay running for a maximum of less than two minutes. It then shuts off hard, I can hear the HDD head slamming back. Won't even stay on long enough to verify disk in recovery.

I have a new HDD cable arriving tomorrow, because I know that era had a problem with those. I just wanted to know if any lurking Macfags would have anything else to add to this.
>>
>>57242669
is the zotac mini even low profile? it might just be a short version.
would a pci-e angled bridge work?
>>
File: Capture.png (157KB, 1110x547px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
157KB, 1110x547px
>>57242660
>>57242608

Thanks. Any suggestion for a new case?

Right now I have a mid tower, I don't like that the PSU is at the top of the case and that the position of the motherboard/fans etc restricts airflow.

Do you think this corsair one would be ideal?
>>
>>57242608

Your case sucks shit. 80mm fans have dick for airflow and spin at such a high RPM they're loud as hell.

Drop $50 on a decent ATX case and enjoy the non-jet engine sound of 120mm fans.
>>
>>57241665
Just passed 3000 emails in the last few hours

What is the purpose? 99% are going straight to 'junk'
Someone has to be paying a lot to keep this up, right?
>>
>>57242709
most modern cases have the psu in the bottom.

the one in your pic is good. fractal design also makes good cases like the R5.

just make sure your PSU cables are long enough.
>>
>>57242703
It'd be pretty freaking jank if I extended the pci-e port, I'd have to have video cords going inside the case. It's a mini-itx build so the case is really small, half height cards are really my only sensible option.
>>
d3dx9_41.dll is missing
what do

windows 7 sp1
>>
>>57242747
reinstall dx9
>>
>>57242728
no that's probably not even paid service

>>57242733
just cut open the back and you can have the ports accessible
but i dont think there are any modern low profile graphic cards
>>
>>57242759
Alright, thanks anon. I don't really game a whole lot anyways so a 750ti wouldn't be too bad of an idea, just needs to play a few things on low.
>>
>>57242769
1050 just got released, try wait a little before buying anything. check some hardware/tech sites to see if there is anything about low profile cards.
>>
>>57242646
So despite my GPU seemingly running fine just not being detectable it would point to a faulty GPU?

If it makes a difference my new monitor will sort of detect if I plug in the GPU without connecting the 8 pin from the PSU it will ask to please connect the GPU to the PSU which is the closest I've gotten my computer to acknowledge my 1070

Why is this so hard
>>
My current gfx is running 90c IDLE.I want to replace it.
I dont play games.
I need atleast 2 hdmi and 1 dvi connector
Needs to support 3840x1080@60mhz
I have no clue about gfx since i built this 8 years ago
Needs to be nvidia
Help?
>>
>>57242847
>runs fine
>not detected
yeah that's not how it works. if you couldnt find your car how the fuck would you run it?
>>
>>57242909
just clean the fucking fan and heatsink

>needs to be nvidia
good goy
>>
>>57242910
So then if I put my 960 back in tomorrow to confirm its not the pcie slot I'll just have to return it to new egg? I mean I took off the stickers and shit and opened all the plastic bags. I think just going for a different brand 1070 may solve my issue. Any experience with RMA / refunding shit with new egg?

Would really feel better with a diff brand than just get another one. Wat do.
>>
File: geforce experience.jpg (2MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
geforce experience.jpg
2MB, 5184x3456px
>>57242909
i gotchu senpai
>>
Really dumb question, but how do I know when and x220 is finished charging?

I know it's initially yellow, then changes to green, does the led indicator turn off when it's fully charged?
>>
>>57242666
mount and run, but chkrootkit detects linux rootkits...
>>
>>57242909
GTX 1050 or RX 460. Or just get a new processor and use the iGPU, it's good enough for light use.

>Needs to be nvidia
Good goy.
>>
File: 4907387931269.jpg (46KB, 375x219px) Image search: [Google]
4907387931269.jpg
46KB, 375x219px
Well /g/? Is there anything wrong with the newest update?
>>
I whana know more about Macintosh. What are the mac stereotypes? I heard that they are overpriced? Is it true? Why?
>>
>>57242682
>I received a non-functioning Macbook Pro
that's the way it should be. (couldn't help myself, sorry)

on a more serious basis, I would rather suspect hdd, but at some point you need to consider how much trouble (and cash) is too much.
>>
>>57243382
>>57243280
>>
>>57243402
what? I got no answer
>>
>>57243417
gee, I wonder why...
>>
>>57240755
>How do I manually boot into tty instead of a dm?
if using systemd, change the system target to multi-user (rather than graphical)
or disable the DM service

>it's silent
take "quiet" out of the kernel parameters in grub.cfg (not required for this, though)
>>
>>57242194
wmv files/windows media player have a "feature" where a wmv file can contain a URL that points to required codec if the system doesn't support it

the idea is that a user can be directed to a place to download the codec, sounds nice, but it's sometimes abused to instead link to malware

nowadays there's no good reason to get wmv files at all, though as long as you don't use windows media player or trust those codec-downloading windows, you should be fine
>>
>>57242099
Were you that guy who got that ass $20 dollar no-name PSU?

In any case, you're welcome.
>>
>>57243349
Anyone?
>>
>>57242139
No such thing as hard drives in the future.

Only SSDs and tapes.
>>
File: IMG_20161026_113917.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161026_113917.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Xbox 360 question.

This screen showed up today. I turned on my xbox amd tried to open the disc tray so i could put forza in, then it got stuck so i pressed the button a bunch of times.

What, how, why?
>>
>>57239094
Anybody?
>>
Why isn't latest version of VLC and Overchan included in F-Droid? Are they nonfree or? What else could be the reason?
>>
whats the command to go one folder back or one step back while browsig folders in terminal (linux)
>>
>>57244308
cd ..
>>
>>57244278
Freetards are too lazy to maintain shit.
>>
>>57239094
http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/
>>
>>57244190
looks like some kind of debug screen, did the console lose power unexpectedly last time you used it?

Everything after a '*' is a note from the programmer telling you whats going on.
I remember hearing that 360s have a set of security fuses that microsoft can remotely burn to brick your console, I'm guessing that's what those fuse sets are for.
>>
Hello, yesterday he had some problems with the PC, was closed suddenly opens not get to load that was dying alone and and lit, so did before we left for a period without power after I got power and I opened it, walked a while and went out again now if I want to ignite, does not work, press and begins to light up and off sharply in two, three seconds, I brought power cable bag when it starts and stops alone, though it has no power to hold on, that may be the problem?

Source's changed recently, as it may be to blame or the power cord connection is better?
Thread posts: 348
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.