[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 31

File: 1448696730433.jpg (349KB, 1280x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1448696730433.jpg
349KB, 1280x1018px
Previously on: >>56584571
Previously trolled on: >>56598822

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://p.teknik.io/5cGhy
>>
Is Elementary any good nowadays?
>>
>>56599026
No. Nothing Ubuntu/Debian related is worth using.
>>
>>56599046
Fair enough. Is there anything in the same category - easy to install, easy to use, just werks, made for retards, etc. - that *is* worth using?
>>
>>56599056
There are only three "Debuntu" distributions I am able to tolerate: Lubuntu, Ubuntu MATE, and Xubuntu.
>>
>>56599056
try macOS
>>
>>56599056
>made for retards
>linux
pick one
>>
>>56599166
>made for retards
Debian/Ubuntu and the operating systems derived from them.
>>
File: but I am.png (391KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
but I am.png
391KB, 1440x900px
>>56599132
I'm asking for a relative. My computer is already sorted out.
>>
What does /fglt/ think of void linux? Looks pretty hipster to me.
>>
I'm trying to compile cantata but I'm getting stuck when running make
[  0%] Built target qtiocompressor
[ 1%] Built target support-core
[ 1%] Building CXX object 3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o
[ 11%] Built target support
[ 11%] Building CXX object 3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksblock.cpp.o
In file included from /home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/udisksopticaldisc.h:27:0,
from /home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp:27:
/home/norbert/.git_repos/cantata/3rdparty/solid-lite/backends/udisks2/../shared/udevqt.h:31:21: fatal error: libudev.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/build.make:1246: recipe for target '3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o' failed
make[2]: *** [3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/backends/udisks2/udisksdevice.cpp.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[ 12%] Built target cantata-tags
lconvert: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/lconvert': No such file or directory
po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/build.make:57: recipe for target 'translations' failed
make[2]: *** [translations] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:323: recipe for target 'po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [po/CMakeFiles/translations.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:250: recipe for target '3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [3rdparty/solid-lite/CMakeFiles/solidlite.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:149: recipe for target 'all' failed
make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>>56599026
It seems like the perfect distro to recommend to normies that are used to mac and may be intimidated by other distros.

>>56599272
meh
>>
>>56599275
Nevermind, we good.
>>
how do regex tests work in bash?

[[ "-h" =~ -h|-? ]] && echo 1
[[ "-o" =~ -h|-? ]] && echo 1
give both 1
>>
What would be more stable/secure for everyday use and java development in spare time on a thinkpad laptop? Debian or arch?
>>
>>56599272
Hipster shit
>>
>>56599741
Arch or Gentoo (preferably Gentoo).
>>
>>56599758
Whats the difference? I know that arch repositories are constantly updated.
>>
>>56599773
Gentoo allows the user to remove dependencies for features in packages that you won't use. Arch, being a binary distribution, includes a lot of bloat sitting around on your system that will never be used.

With Gentoo, you get a much more lean, efficient system than you could ever get with Arch.
>>
>>56599873
While true, it doesn't matter for any of the requirements given.
>>
>>56599895
>stability
Again, you have a lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware rather than using one-size-fits-all kernels and software which would increase the load and cause more instability.

>security
Source-based distributions increase security because an attacker must guess what features you have installed. A binary distribution with generic packages is the same for everyone and thus, the same attacks will work on everyone.
>>
>>56599986
>you have a lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware

Only if you invest the time to tailor it to your hardware. I have no idea why you think this would be a given for someone who wants
>everyday use and java development in spare time

>Source-based distributions increase security because an attacker must guess what features you have installed.
How's the attacker gonna reach his PC behind his router in the first place?
Also needs time investment to decide which features aren't needed, and the gain from it isn't as great as you make it sound.
>>
>>56599986

>lean, efficient system that is specifically tailored to your hardware rather than using one-size-fits-all kernels and software which would increase the load
Gotta get those 0,5% performance boosts.

>cause more instability.
Gotta enjoy that insignificant, placebo-level effect.
>>
Hey, /fglt/, I need some help. I updated my debian unstable partition yesterday night and today, it seems that it won't load the GUI. It just stays there in a black screen.

I checked Xorg log and it seems to be loading nouveau modules for some reason, when I have the nvidia driver installed. I tried purging the nvidia driver and reinstalling, but that didn't work. halp
>>
What's up with Funtoo? Should I assume, since you faggots keep recommending Gentoo all the time, that Funtoo is either a piece of shit or dead?
>>
>>56600107
>Gentoo takes more time than other distributions
This meme again. After the initial setup of Gentoo, I would argue that due to the lack of problems caused by the over-engineering of the mainstream distributions, Gentoo offers a better daily desktop experience.

>How's the attacker gonna reach his PC behind his router in the first place?
He didn't say anything specific to where he would be on a network you idiot. The second he connects to a campus network or some public wifi, this will be of an advantage.

>>56600143
>Gotta get those 0,5% performance boosts.
>Gotta enjoy that insignificant, placebo-level effect.
Debuntu babby detected
>>
is there a flag or something I can use to have the terminal exit once a command is run?

Perhaps something in combination with nohup?
>>
>>56600768
command; exit
>>
I'm trying to setup a backup drive to automatically boot when my main drive is disconnected or unbootable. I've copied the drive and efi partitions using rsync to the backup drive. The only problem is that the grub.cfg entries point to the original drive's UUIDs and not the UUIDs on the backup drive. I can change it manually and exclude /boot from rsync so that it's not overwritten but the backup drive won't stay in sync with newer kernels that I install.

What is the best way to keep my backup drive in sync with my main drive and bootable?
>>
>>56600725
>lack of problems caused by the over-engineering of the mainstream distributions
Which problems are you referring to?

>This meme again. After the initial setup
You need to recompile packages for updates. You're doing regular updates right?

>this will be of an advantage.
But still be irrelevant in comparison of actually configuring your system securely.

>>56600768
command; exit
>>
>>56600839
>Which problems are you referring to?
Gee, let's see. Maybe the same highly visible bugs that all of the Ubuntu distributions have suffered from since 2012? Maybe Apport crashing whenever there are reports in /var/crash resulting in tons of pop-ups upon reaching the desktop at boot? More features engineering means more room for bugs, and unfortunately, this is something that all of the Debuntu distributions suffer from.

>You need to recompile packages for updates.
Oh wow, once every two weeks, you need to emerge @world in a terminal before bed.

>But still be irrelevant in comparison of actually configuring your system securely.
Configuring two of the same binary-based distribution on two machines means that you have two machines with the same security features, same versions of all software, and same security holes. Gentoo can be configured in the same way, and add an additional layer of obscurity with essentially no additional effort than custom useflag configuration.
>>
I've been trying to install icon packs on Arch for the past few hours but they just keep using the shitty fallback icons. Packs that do it are:
>Arc
>Numix + Numix_light
Plus a couple more I can't be bothered listing.
I've tried running
 gtk-update-icon-cache 
in the terminal but this shit just won't work. I've tried GNOME, GNOME Classic, GNOME Wayland and Budgie desktop. Any help is welcome.
>>
>>56600977
>highly visible bugs
Like? I've yet to see any.

> before bed.
I don't let my system keep running while I sleep.

>additional layer of obscurity
You'd get more security from using things like hardening flags.
>>
>>56601291
>I don't see any
For starters, how about you read the next sentence in the post you're replying to? Oh wait, you chose to ignore it because it still exists in all versions of 16.04 and has first appeared in 12.04, and hasn't been patched. This is extremely visible and shows that the devs don't give a fuck about user experience. Imagine installing Xubuntu on someone's laptop as their first distro, and 8 "SYSTEM PROBLEM DETECTED" windows pop up whenever they restart.

>I don't let my system keep running while I sleep.
So you do it at another time then, genius. Does your system stop whenever you have a terminal open?

>You'd get more security
Okay.
>>
>>56601488
>Oh wait, you chose to ignore it
No, I'm telling you I've never seen such a problem.
>>
>>56601542
Here's a post from 2012: http://askubuntu.com/questions/133385/getting-system-program-problem-detected-pops-up-regularly-after-upgrade/369297

Here's one from 2016: https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/system-program-problem-detected-16-04-lts/5815/2

This has happened on several computers I've had various versions of Ubuntu installed on. The only permanent solution is to disable Apport.
>>
>>56601655
Seems like an Apport problem. How is that related to binary distributions?
>>
>>56601727
>>56600725
My post specifically said:
>over-engineering of the mainstream distributions
which this Apport problem is a clear example of. Again, more engineering and bloat means more potential for problems, and as such, a problem like this wouldn't exist in Gentoo.
>>
File: logo_chromium.png (57KB, 533x537px) Image search: [Google]
logo_chromium.png
57KB, 533x537px
Why is Chromium so much faster on Ubuntu? Firefox always hangs and I have to reload every site three times. Any tips?
>>
>>56601786
Try firefox dev branch or dev edition.
>>
>>56601781
That's not over-engineering, that's a shitty package.
>>
>>56601786
Reset your firefox profile, no such problems here.
>>
Why the fuck is it so painful to make a Linux persistent USB that actually saves changes and retains files when I restart? I've tried so many methods, different ISO installers, yet nothing actually fucking retains my data in between use. Why? Am I doing something wrong, /g/?

Tried on Windows:
UNetBootIn
Rufus
Universal USB installer

Tried on Linux:
using dd to manually install an .iso, then mkpart primary, but the partition won't even fucking show up on fdisk

Using Gpart on Ubuntu
>>
>>56602179
Use something dedicated for that, like porteus or puppy.
>>
>>56602341
Porteus and Puppy are Linux distros - I want a means of installing my own Linux distro that can actually retain data and settings in between use.
>>
>>56602179
just install linux normally to the usb drive
>>
>>56602428
I know. They are not designed for that.
>>
File: 99.png (35KB, 1033x609px) Image search: [Google]
99.png
35KB, 1033x609px
Is it possible to not use the titlebar from GTK? This option exists in Chromium, but I could not find it in firefox. Thanks.
>>
>>56602560
This add-on is the easiest/best solution I've found. It'll remove the titlebar when the window is maximized. It says it's discontinued, but it still works perfectly fine for me.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/htitle/
>>
hi! do you guys know of any good distros to switch to for curious distro hopping from arch linux for 2 years

i need something practical for every day
>>
>>56602470
Ich möchte nur einmal kurz etwas einwerfen. Was sie als Linux bezeichnen ist in Warheit GNU/Linux, oder wie ich es vor kurzem zu bezeichen begonnen habe, GNU plus Linux. Linux an sich ist kein Betriebssystem, sondern eine weitere freie Komponente eines voll Funktionsfähigen GNU Systems, welches durch die GNU corelibs, shell utilities und andere wichtige System Komponente nützlich gemacht wird und ein Betriebssystem ist, wie es durch das POSIX definiert ist.

Viele Computer Nutzer benutzen eine modifizierte Version des GNU Systems jeden Tag ohne es zu bemerken. Durch eine eigenartige Wendung wird die Version von GNU, die heute weit verbreitet ist, oft Linux genannt und viele der Nutzer sind sich nicht bewusst, dass es eigentlich das GNU System ist, welches von dem GNU Projekt entwickelt wurde.

Es existiert wirklich ein Linux, und diese Leute benutzen es, jedoch handelt es sich dabei nur um einen Teil ihres Systems. Linux ist ein Kernel: das Programm im System welches die durch die Maschine bereitgestellten Ressourcen an andere laufende Programme verteilt. Der Kernel ist ein essentieller Teil eines Betriebssystems,aber ohne den Rest des Systems nutzlos; er kann nur in Zusammenarbeit mit dem Rest des Systems funktionieren. Linux wird für gewöhnlich in Kombination mit dem GNU Betriebssystem verwendet: Das ganze System ist eigentlich GNU mit dem Linux Kernel, oder GNU/Linux. Alle so genannten Linux Distributionen sind in Warheit Distributionen von GNU/LINUX!
>>
>>56602651
fedora is the best distro for that m8
>>
I'm using ubuntu minimal install so I'm having a problem connecting to the internet via wifi. I've tried wicd but the connection wasn't very stable so now I'm trying to use wpa_supplicant by looking at this page from the arch wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_supplicant

However, every time I use this method it involves typing the wpa_supplicant command, using wpa_cli and then finally using dhclient.

Is there a way I can automate the wpa_supplicant connection process so I don't have to type so much every time I need to connect to wifi?
>>
>>56602732
lösch das
>>
>>56602772
>fedora
are u sure? is this guy just shitposting?
>>
>>56602596
Thanks, this works.
>>
>>56602826
wot? it just werks.
>>
Currently installing Ubuntu minimal on my latitude. What's some good GNU/Linux essentials? Hoping to learn to code shit
>>
Linux newbie here. I have a laptop which I'll use to dev (CS degree), currently using Mint, what should I eventually change to and when? I don't want an unstable system that can "fuck up" when I have assigments to do so no Arch or Gentoo please.
>>
>>56603055
fedora works well for devs and just works along with having up to date packages
>>
Can you guys recommend a book that covers linux. Moreso on the system administration side. Most of what I've found are good as references but not so much to learn from. Things like partitioning, filesystems, init, daemons, networking, network storage, security, access control, monitoring, RAID and backup. That kind of stuff.

I got really interested after installing Arch recently and mucking around the wiki.

Unrelated I've been looking to learn more about audio and video. Formats, encoding, and so forth. Thanks
>>
>>56603065
I've been looking into Manjaro, what do you think about it vs Fedora?
>>
>>56603055
Debian is a natural evolution from using Ubuntu or Mint. I did it that way and never looked back.

Debian Testing and Sid are great.
>>
>>56603127
its an easy to install arch with 2 week delayed packages unless you're on testing repo. it still needs upkeep like arch does even if it's easier to use with some gui stuff out of the box. those older packages are a security issue and manjaro brings in its own bugs that arch wouldn't have.
>>
Partitioning linux on a 64gb usd.

How much do I allocate for the swap partition? It's my understanding it should be more than the computers ram, but the computer has 8gb of ram; is 2-4gb good?

If I put the /home on a seperate partition so that I can change the linux os later (I believe that's how that works, if not correct me please), should I equally split it in half with the partition holding /?

Xubuntu LTS by the way
>>
>>56603213
hibernation requires a swap as big as the ram you're using

without hibernation it depends
some people say you need no swap
I think that causes issues in certain cases

having a 4gb swap partition would work for 8gb of ram
>>
File: CopyofIMG_3067.jpg (209KB, 957x768px) Image search: [Google]
CopyofIMG_3067.jpg
209KB, 957x768px
I will, in the near future, start to work as informatics technician, to install and fix computers. In this function, it's high probable I will need to install proprietary operating systems on the clients' computers. Maybe gratis-ware as Windows 10, maybe pirated Windows 8.1. How to continue to live after doing this?
>>
>>56603542
install gentoo as penance
>>
how do i use external hdd on debian? its not werking
>>
>>56603630
Provide more information
External HDD's should work the way they work anywhere else
>>
File: Screenshot_20160914_183216.png (151KB, 539x399px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160914_183216.png
151KB, 539x399px
RX 460 Open Source Drivers?

I'm currently running Manjaro with kernel 4.7, and I want to know if 4.7 has good support for the RX 460. Does anybody have experience with this card on Linux? I'm considering ordering a couple of them online for $90 each. If you have used this card with Linux, could you let me know how loud the fan runs, and whether you experience any crashes or problems in common desktops such as KDE, Unity, and GNOME?
>>
>>56603733
i plug it in and there is no change or visible way to access it
>>
>>56603568
On my PC or the client ones?
>>
>>56602179
LinuxLive USB Creator?
>>
File: 1469310869749-fs8.png (459B, 391x391px) Image search: [Google]
1469310869749-fs8.png
459B, 391x391px
So, guys these are the detailed specs from my new computer when i had xubuntu installed

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/113f20082d6aa1cf81434743d6653448

i tried install various flavours of Linux (xubuntu, antergos, manjaro, ) but the computer is always freezing no matter what, and the solution is a hard reset . the problem is : AMD drivers once again

any way to solve this?
>>
File: 1468809990391.png (215KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1468809990391.png
215KB, 1366x768px
Im trying to steal this. How do I make my screenfetch look like this?
>>
>>56604047
Install plank and the rest of the stuff the screenfetch says.
>>
File: 1436639716922.png (227KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1436639716922.png
227KB, 640x480px
>>56599056
Ubuntu flavors. Don't let anybody meme you to death this board is technology hipsters.
>>
>>56604061
Thanks anon, much appreciated. Im almost done installing the things it mentions, now to get the riced screenfetch
>>
Is there anyway to fix the gtk+ compatibility issues with ff 48?
>>
>>56604047
Install GNOME-core, arc-dark and flataboulus theme
>>
>>56604535
What issues?
>>
>>56603740
>>56603740
>>56603740
anyone?
>>
File: 2016-09-14-175109_1440x900_scrot.png (175KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-14-175109_1440x900_scrot.png
175KB, 1440x900px
>>56604637
It doesn't seem to recognize gtk+, and ignores the theme. I'm referring to the new tab button, and the scroll bar. Pcmanfm doesn't have any problems for contrast.
>>
>>56604723
Are you sure your theme has support for gtk3? Is your pcmanfm gtk3?
>>
>>56604723
By the way, it obeys my gtk3 theme.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160914_175649.png (151KB, 1366x744px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160914_175649.png
151KB, 1366x744px
>>56604794
damn
>>
>>56604585
Already did. Thanks for the advice though. Now I have a pretty damn aesthetic installation
>>
>>56604794
what are you using?
>>
Debian halp needed. I have some hardware I want to run on Debian stretch (i.e. testing)..only catch is once stretch becomes stable I'd like to keep at that way. In otherwords..I want to be on the stable branch come 2017 when 'stretch' is stable.

Is it possible to do that? Will that happen automatically or is there anything I have to do? Thx.
>>
>>56604923
breeze-dark in plasma 5, it has a gtk2/3 theme to match the kde theme.
>>
>>56604932
When changing the repos where you would replace jessie with testing you would instead put stretch.
>>
>>56602732
s/Warheit/Wahrheit/g
>>
>>56604047
That's not screenfetch, that's neofetch.
>>
Ah! Ok great thanks.
>>
>>56604973
I fixed it by installing oomox and making a custom gtk2/3 theme. Firefox is obeying nicely. Previously I was using lxappearance as my theme setter.
>>
How do I get Reddit Enhancement Suite to run on chromium? It used to work before perfectly fine but now it says that it's outdated and I don't have the right browser to install it...I'm running Chromium 52

>inb4 leddit
idc I only browse like 1 or 2 subs
>>
Is there anyway to install amdgpu-pro on Neon? Right now the install script says "Unsupported OS" even though neon is similar enough to ubuntu that it should work. Some people have gotten it to install on mint and elementary by just editing a few words in the script. Has anyone done this with neon? Already googled and I can't find anything.
>>
new to linux here. i was having some trouble deciding between distros for my new pc build that ill put together tomorrow. i finally decided on xubuntu

what do you guys think of xubuntu for a new linux user?
>>
>>56606239
Xubuntu is fine but I like Ubuntu MATE better

>>56606161
What's the kernel version of Neon? AMDGPU supports only 4.7+
>>
>>56606239
It's fine.
>>
Does Compton no longer work with Mate? I'm running a fresh Mint install and it doesn't seem to work anymore. It either doesn't run, or it doesn't eliminate tearing.

I really don't like compiz either. How much longer do we have to deal with this shit just to get rid of tearing?
>>
>>56606250
4.4, but that is not the case. I sucessfully installed amdgpu-pro on kubuntu xenial before switching distros for unrelated reasons.

What you are likely thinking of is the fact that the pre-4.7 kernel does not include the free amdgpu for polaris, which is one of the reason's I'm installing the proprietary.
>>
>>56600820
Daily snapshots
Though having you backup being exposed like that defeats the purpose of a backup
You could easily fuck something up and now your backup is gone, and your main system is bricked

Backups should only be mounted when they are being used for the backup process,otherwise they need to be unmounted
>>
>>56600988
Where are you putting your icons?
install lxapperance

>>56602560
That would be a borderless window, which is what your wm manages.
Check their docs and set a keybind for the command
>>
>>56603095
Install linux and then go do those things, so you have first hand knowledge.
No book is going to tell your situational projects
>>
>>56603780
lsusb
>>
>>56603095
Computer books are really shit. It's depressing. Best stick to documentation and reading the source.
>>
File: page braker.gif (88KB, 10000x10000px) Image search: [Google]
page braker.gif
88KB, 10000x10000px
>>
>>56603055
I thought CS graduates were supposed to be smart?
>>
>>56606528
>Backups should only be mounted when they are being used for the backup process,otherwise they need to be unmounted

Why?
>>
>>56606354
have you tried a driver-level solution?
I know that intel offers it with "TearFree" and proprietary nvidia with "ForceFullCompositionPipeline"
I don't know about others but it should have one too
imo compton should be only used as a last resort or for compositing standalone WMs (with vsync off and xrender backend of course)
>>
To install hot corners on Fedora Mate:

Create the repository config file /etc/yum.repos.d/rpm-sphere.repo:

[rpm-sphere]
name=RPM Sphere
baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/zhonghuaren/Fedora_24/
gpgkey=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/zhonghuaren/Fedora_24/repodata/repomd.xml.key
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

Install brightside rpm package:

# sudo dnf install brightside

>>
>>56606749
Then they arent backups...
>>
>>56599095
If you only issue is with desktop environments then you're a fucking retard
>>
I need help. I currently am running Kubuntu 16.04 with the latest recommended nvidia driver installed. I am experiencing screen tearing to an annoying degree. I currently have a GTX 780 if that helps. Please someone let me know of any fixes that will help me.
>>
on my thinkpad, is there any way to get debian to automatically go to analog sound when it's docked so i can use whatever device i have plugged in to the sound, and then go back to speakers when it's unplugged? currently i have to go in the settings and manually change it everytime
>>
File: 20120109112.png (264KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
20120109112.png
264KB, 800x449px
Is it true that getting a linux distro will make me better at programming?
>>
>>56606982
it depends how you use it. it certainly has more tools for you to become a better programmer than windows comes with
>>
>>56606982
No. Being better at programming makes you better at programming.
>>
>>56607023
being better at programming is a state, not a function, so it doesn't do anything let alone make you better at programming
>>
>>56607031
I'm pretty sure being good at programming requires some basic skills and knowledge which are not dependent on which OS you use use or learn in.
>>
what's a good distribution to boot to ram for daily usage?
>>
>>56607051
your point?
>>
>>56607105
Porteus, puppy.
>>
>>56606982
Yes.
>>
>>56607118
>your point?
If you need that explaining to you then you're probably not a very good programmer.
>>
>>56607119
I've played with puppy a few times, I'll look into poreus.
Thank you!
>>
>>56606641
>page braker.gif
You spelt "breaker" wrong.
Also, I can open it just fine.
>>
I want to completely wipe my hard drive and install a new distro. Would I probably be okay just saving my home dir to an external drive as a backup? Or should I do a full disk image?
>>
>>56607514
Your home and probably some files in /etc, depending on what you've modified and if you want to keep them.
>>
>>56607119
>>56607149
Just this morning, a stray dog (probably neighbours broke into my house)

I don't like dogs, specially bulldogs.

It stayed in my backyard, it was pretty happy to find such a big grass field and a deck.

Then I realised it
>Doesn't play fetch

>>>/out/
>>
File: 1444737540293.jpg (709KB, 2121x1939px) Image search: [Google]
1444737540293.jpg
709KB, 2121x1939px
>>56603055
>>56603095
>>56603213
>>56603740
>>56603981
>>56606239
>>56606571
>>56606982
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1446534599732.jpg (140KB, 814x814px) Image search: [Google]
1446534599732.jpg
140KB, 814x814px
>>56607777
>>
>>56607777
Checked
>>
>>56607777
was going to post a reaction pic for the 7's but i realized i'm on my new debian setup and i don't have any reaction pics here
>>
>>/g/56607941
what board?
>>
Is there a way I can safely stop a "apt upgrade" process? If I kill it, can I retake from the same point later on?
>>
I did a reinstall of Debian testing using the testing netinstall and now the OpenGL compositor works properly and I have no screen tearing out of the box. Before I reinstalled, I had to use an xorg.conf to fix tearing and OpenGL caused mad flickering. Could anyone explain what happened here?
>>
do i need to manually eject everything before shutting down to do so safely?
>>
>>56608162
^C should do it
>>
I just installed Debian for the first time by overwriting my old ubanto partition, but I can't seem to boot into it. The mobo boots right away into Windows.

I'm on a UEFI board and I'm sure I set debian to use UEFI, too, I'm not sure what's wrong. Help?
>>
>>56608263
it was fixed and apt didn't want to overwrite your configs with new versions or something maybe
>>
Debian or Linux Mint? Got a Thinkpad X220, hoping to get the most out of it in terms of battery life but will also be used for web browsing, watching videos etc. general stuff but I plan on learning GNU/Linux more in depth by using it on a daily basis.

Coming from Win7 btw.
>>
>>56608959
Debian. Mint is horrible.
>>
>>56608974

Any specific Debian setup you'd recommend me? Or should I just install all packages and that?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-09-14_23-07-06.png (183KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-09-14_23-07-06.png
183KB, 1920x1080px
>>56608959
Debian with XFCE for lightness and TLP for battery. A lot of images make XFCE look like OSX, but you can configure it so it's like Windows 7.
>>
>>56608495
Okay so apparently Debian is there and is fine, the problem is that windows EFI seems to boot before and doesn't let grub to take hold. Any way I can overcome this?
>>
>>56599498
What are you trying to do? '-?' probably isn't helping, it will match everything.
>>
>>56609016
Ubuntu is a better Mint alternative than Debian.
>>
>>56607245
It did crash Chrome here, are you using Firefox?
>>
>>56609077
Got it already. Needed to escape the questionmark to match it literally.
>>
>install lubuntu
>add repository for a program i like
>apt-get update

The repository doesn't have a release file.
It cannot be added.
Read apt-secure(8).

This happens for every repository I add.

How do I fix this and why is this so fucking complicated?
>>
Using vim, is there a way to open new tabs and keep NERDTree open on the side?
>>
File: broken.webm (344KB, 818x510px) Image search: [Google]
broken.webm
344KB, 818x510px
I decided to get rid of GNOME and try something else, so I installed XFCE. I also removed GNOME because it and evolution continued to run processes.

My windows now look like this and I'm not sure how to fix it. I removed xfce, rebooted, re-installed it from a tty, rebooted, and tried again, but it's still like this. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been searching around, but I can't find anyone else with the same issue.
>>
>>56609751

Which program?
Something is telling me that you fucked something up, because it's apparently happening for everything you try. Either that or you're only using shitty, niche, software that's packaged in a PPA by someone who doesn't know what he's doing.
The former one is more likely.

>why is this so complicated
It's not. You're just stupid.
>>
>>56609861

That's a theme issue: your theme doesn't support the GTK version you're using.
>>
>>56609898
baka-mplayer
>>
File: fixed.webm (612KB, 826x692px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.webm
612KB, 826x692px
>>56609905
Thanks. I can't believe I didn't notice this happen when I switched themes earlier. Maybe I shouldn't do this shit at 4 am.
>>
>>56609944

Use the .deb file on their website for Debian. it works on Ubuntu too.
>>
>>56610039
But I don't want to use the deb file. I want to use apt.
>>
>>56610098

Apt is basically a front-end for dpkg (which works with deb files). You can't escape it. If you meant the fact that it won't get updated automatically (since it's not part of a repository), tough luck then.
You have 3 options (ordered from least retarded to most retarded):

>use a different PPA
>keep track of updates yourself (either by using that deb file or packaging it yourself)
>use a different distribution which packages baka-mplayer
>>
>>56599056
OpenSUSE or Fedora desu
>>
is there any way of changing my wireless interface name? it's wlp58s0 right now and i want to change it to wlan0.
>>
>>56610650
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Device_names
>>
Going to install GalliumOS on my chromebook, going to rewrite part of the firmware. Wish me luck, fingers crossed for no bricking!
>>
>>56598958
Ho can I install the deepin desktop on Fedora?
>>
Sorry this might not be the best place to ask this, I asked in stupid questions thread already.

I love running my linux machine but I also need windows as well. So this is more a question relating directly to windows 10 but as linux users you should understand what I want to do.

I don't like the standard security risks involved with how windows handles its default account access. Is there a way I can set up my windows install so I need to enter an admin password similar to using sudo access for installing programs and stuff?

I want to do my very best to remove the risk of malware and malicious executable programs. I'd also like to know some general tips for using windows 10 well and having it set up correctly..
>>
File: write_protect_screw.png (984KB, 836x505px) Image search: [Google]
write_protect_screw.png
984KB, 836x505px
I am pretty darned sure that this was the write-protect screw, the circuit board underneath it had raised metal parts to connect with the screw head.

However, when I turned the chromebook back on in developer mode, went to crosh, and went to shell, the command:

sudo flashrom --wp-status

told me that write protect is still enabled.

Is the computer giving me a wrong message? I don't think these other screws look like they are making a circuit/ don't look very important.
>>
>>56608263
What the other guy said i think. But please make sure to not rely on the testing netinstall. It's the beta version of the installer and might have bugs.
>>
>>56609035
Boot into a live medium and do a boot-repair/grub2 reconfiguration.
>>
>>56610650

Why?
>>
>>56609016
Xfce through the netinstall is easy for beginners to get used to.
>>56610126
>packaging yourself more retarded than using PPA
No, checkinstall>PPA
>>
>>56611364

If he wants it to automatically (read: someone else to do it for him) update itself, then PPAs are less retarded for his case.
>>
>>56611345
changed it to wifi0 cause it's easier to remember. sometimes when i boot in my wifi doesnt work and ifconfig down and up fixes it.
>>
>>56600977
>Which problems
>Anon sucks air through his teeth
>Well you see theirs lots
>Lots and lots
>Problems you probably dont understand
Car mechanic detected
>>
>>56611608

> sometimes when i boot in my wifi doesnt work and ifconfig down and up fixes it.
So instead of figuring out what's causing the actual issue, you solve it by a workaround that doesn't fix your primary issue?
>>
>>56611879
yes
>>
>boot linux distro from iso mounted on a flash drive
>distro says it installed on the HD
>when I restart it only sees the flash drive to boot from, nothing on the HD

I'm new at this, what kinds of things could have gone wrong?
>>
>>56612289

>iso mounted on a flash drive
What? Do you mean you copied the contents of the image to your flash drive?

>>when I restart it only sees the flash drive to boot from, nothing on the HD
Did you disable your hard-drive as a medium to boot from? Maybe your USB flash drive takes priority and it boots again from the hard drive. Or you messed up your bootloader installation.
>>
>>56612289
It means you messed up the installation
>>
>>56612310

>boots again from the hard drive
boots again from the USB flash drive*
>>
>>56612310
this program lets you mount iso's to flash drives

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/files/latest/download

I also installed custom firmware on the device, but if anything went wrong with the firmware my computer would be busted, right?

And when I press esc on restart to choose which to boot from, the flash drive is the only option I see.

>>56612321
I've reinstalled 3 times now, and the result is the same every time. Should I make custom partitions?
>>
>>56612370

Just use Rufus like any other person to create installation media. But that's not your problem, I assume.

Which custom firmware and which device? Which distribution are you installing?

>And when I press esc on restart to choose which to boot from, the flash drive is the only option I see.
Go to your BIOS (or UEFI) screen and see what you have listed under the boot settings. Do you see your hard-drive? Make it a bigger priority (or enable it) than your USB flash drive and also remove your USB flash drive after installation.
>>
About to partition a 256gb ssd (laptop) for Debian. How much space should I give the root partition? I'm going to install some programming tools and libreoffice...but no games
>>
>>56612624
10gb
>>
can someone help me? i want to play guild wars 2 on my desktop and i'm planning on having the game files themselves saved on an external hdd. the wine instructions are old though, they act as if you can get a gw2.exe file from the official website but you can't now, you get a Gw2Setup-64.exe file and it tells me it's not a valid exe file name when i try to run it with wine
>>
>>56612289
Post the output of lsblk
>>
>>56612933
Are you trying to installing a 64bit exe in 32bit wine or something like that?
>>
>>56613257
i followed the instructions on debian's site on how to install wine for 64 bit. i'm using the command wine, are you saying i should use the command wine64?
>>
>>56613257
also i tested wine on notepad++ with the command wine and both the install and execution worked, but i can't find where it put the executable for the program itself. the install executable is where i put it
>>
>>56598958
anybody else had the following very specific problem with linux mint 18?
I'm trying to install a proprietary nvidia driver through the driver manager on my encrypted hard drive, the installation shows some errors but still completes, and on the restart I either cannot enter my encryption password or get a black screen.
tried to add 'nomodeset' or remove 'splash' from grub as per some forum suggestion, but didn't work.
>>
>>56613270
>>56613284
Could you post the exact commands when you mention doing a command?
You didn't answer the question though, is there a mismatch between the architecture of the exe and your wine?
You can run exe just by double clicking it, same as you could in Windows.
Installed programs will be in ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files
>>
>>56613329
ok i found the program files folder and it has notepad ++ in it.

when i navigate to the ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/notepad++ folder and use
>wine notepad++.exe
it works and notepad++ runs

this is what happens when i try to do Gw2 in the folder on the external hard drive where i saved the install executable
john@debian:/media/justin/Seagate_Ext/Games/GW2$ wine Gw2Setup-64.exe
wine: Bad EXE format for D:\Games\GW2\Gw2Setup-64.exe.
>>
>>56613427
Ok, so you need to answer the original question by checking exactly which wine version you have installed. Either your wine is 32 bit or the exe is corrupt, I would guess anyway.
Just to eliminate possibilities, have you tried running it from your main local drive? I can't imagine that would be a problem but just for the same of troubleshooting it might be worth a try.
>>
>>56613427
your wine prefix is 32bit
>>
i tried wine64 and its saying its a 32 bit installation but i don't know how
john@debian:/media/justin/Seagate_Ext/Games/GW2$ wine64 Gw2Setup-64.exe
wine: '/home/john/.wine' is a 32-bit installation, it cannot support 64-bit applications.
>>
>>56613511
your prefix is 32bit

you can't convert a prefix, so you'll either need to re-create ~/.wine, or use a new prefix
>>
>>56602470
I tried that, but then it's deathly slow to use because it runs off itself, as opposed to pushing everything to RAM.
>>
>>56613554
Use a distro which is designed for that purpose.
>>
>>56613542
>>56613511
as for examples;

recreate ~/.wine (deletes it!)
$ rm -r ~/.wine
export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
export WINEARCH=win64
wineboot

or use a new prefix (i recommend a prefix per application, more flexible)
export WINEPREFIX=/media/justin/Seagate_Ext/Games/GW2_prefix
export WINEARCH=win64
wineboot
>>
>>56613599
>export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
should be
>export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine
forgot the path needs to be absolute
>>
>>56613566
I'm trying Ubuntu, and it actually is designed for that purpose, believe it or not - they offer .iso images specifically for USB installs
>>
File: wine52.png (111KB, 726x764px) Image search: [Google]
wine52.png
111KB, 726x764px
>>56613542
so what do i do here?
>>
>>56613313
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>56613618
you already have 64bit wine installed, but the /prefix/ was created with 32bit wine
a wine prefix is like a self contained windows environment, it contains the "C drive", registry, program files folders, etc
>>
>>56613662
oh, so i have to reinstall it then
>>
>>56613699
no
>>
>>56613662
https://wiki.debian.org/Wine

these are the instructions i followed. i did

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt update
sudo apt install wine
>and then i believe
sudo apt-get install wine32
sudo apt-get install wine64

where did i go wrong? how should i do it this next time to be able to run 64 bit and 32 bit things on my amd64 machine?
>>
>>56613752
ffs anon, you need to CREATE A 64BIT PREFIX
this has nothing to do with the wine installation
>>
>>56613699
Why don't you read what you've been told to do?
>>
>>56613599

export WINEPREFIX=/media/justin/Seagate_Ext/Games/GW2_prefix
export WINEARCH=win64
wineboot

if i do this, it'll work for 64 bit and it'll run with all of the files in the external hard drive? i believe the external hard drive is formatted FAT. do i need to change the path to be absolute like in your second post or is it already absolute? and these are all the commands i need? i don't need to reinstall or do $ rm -r ~/.wine before?
>>
>>56613786
>>56613766
it's because i don't know what a prefix is, but now i assume it doesn't have anything to do with the installation and is just a file folder or something. is this right?
>>56613790
>>
>>56613790
those commands alone with create a new 64bit prefix in that folder
i don't think it'll work if the disk is FAT, though, wineprefixes contain symlinks, which i'm not sure FAT supports

maybe instead put it alongside the default one, like "$HOME/.wine64" or "$HOME/.wine-gw2" or something

>>56613829
as mentioned in >>56613662
it's a self-contained "windows environment"
to make an analogy, lets say you have virtualbox, when you create a VM, you're making a folder which contains the VM's hardware configuration, and any virtual disks in it, that folder is similar in function to a wine prefix
~/.wine is the default prefix, it's used when no other prefix is specified
>>
>>56613886
is there a command to check what type the disk is?
>>
How does /fglt/ read syslogs? Is there a more elegant way that tail -f *logs ?
>>
>>56613938
run "mount" and look for it

i'm guessing it'll be something along the lines of;
"/dev/sdb1 on /media/justin type vfat (...)"
>>
File: 53626.png (59KB, 717x448px) Image search: [Google]
53626.png
59KB, 717x448px
>>56613886
>>56613938
i did fdisk and this showed up. idk why it says microsoft or why there's that red line about partition 3. but i can move stuff in and out of the drive and can click on a video file in the drive and have it play. will putting the prefix in there work?
>>
>>56613938
lsblk, fdisk, mount are the main utils I use to check disks. Lsblk is most detailed
>>
>>56613970
ksystemlog
>>
>>56614023
microsoft basic data is a partition type, and doesn't indicate what filesystem is on it

do this;
sudo file -s /dev/sdb1
>>
>>56614070
/dev/sdb1: DOS/MBR boot sector, code offset 0x58+2, OEM-ID "mkfs.fat", sectors/cluster 64, Media descriptor 0xf8, sectors/track 63, heads 255, FAT (32 bit), sectors/FAT 429469, reserved 0x1, serial number 0xdc0dfcd8, label: "Seagate_Ext"

looks like it's fat. i guess i'll just put the prefix on my laptop's hard drive but i really wanted to be able to put a bunch of games in the external one to save space
>>
>>56614098
you can put the prefix in once place and install the games in another

by default, root is mapped to "Z:\" in wine, so if you install a game to "Z:\media\justin\Seagate_Ext\Games\<game>", it will end up on your external
just like how you can install games to drives other than "C:\" in windows itself
>>
>>56613599
i did this and this happened
john@debian:~$ rm -r ~/.wine
john@debian:~$ export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine
john@debian:~$ export WINEARCH=win64
john@debian:~$ wineboot
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/john/.wine'
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xede338, overlapped 0xede350): stub
err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
fixme:iphlpapi:NotifyAddrChange (Handle 0xeee338, overlapped 0xeee350): stub
wine: configuration in '/home/john/.wine' has been updated.
john@debian:~$

is that bad? it looks bad
>>
>>56614167
>>56614144
woah! i did wine64 setupfilename.exe and it's working, it loaded the launcher just like it did on windows. it quickly said an error occured and stopped loading. it was the same format of error report as i had in windows that i've gotten a few times. i have the setup file in my fat external hdd, do i need to move the files somewhere to make it work? where?
>>
>>56614249
i see here that they say the launcher crashes regularly
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=26558
do you think this is just that, or is it because i'm trying to download it the way i am?

>Installing using the launcher:

>1 Download the game's launcher on the official website: https://www.guildwars2.com (you need to be connected to an account).
>2 Create a wine prefix (see above). If you already have one and want to use it, it's fine too.
>3 Run the exe file you've downloaded (something like "Gw2.exe").
>4 Wait while the launcher download the latest version of the game. It can takes several hours, but it's normal. If the game's updater crash repeatedly see the note below to know how to automatically relaunch it.
>>
File: 3hSrELwjznYz.jpg (395KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
3hSrELwjznYz.jpg
395KB, 2560x1440px
>>
>>56614312
>>56614249
after this point i can't really help you much, i don't have this game

it's worth noting that 64bit application support in wine is much weaker than 32bit
the appdb entries seem to suggest the 64bit version works though

also worth pointing out that in >>56613618
you have 1.6.2 installed, which is pretty old
for running new-ish games you really should be using the latest development versions of wine
>>
File: 1456366628617.png (156KB, 688x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1456366628617.png
156KB, 688x1430px
>>56614598
>>
Why do I have to execute xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources every time I boot my computer otherwise I won't see my few-day-old changes?
>>
File: 1421930999396.jpg (126KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1421930999396.jpg
126KB, 681x1024px
Bunch of arch questions...
1. If I run -Syyu, will that update applications that are installed from AUR?
2. The the AUR is simply PKGBuild file, no? if I download the file and modify it, running it would be just like compile from the source, then what's the important difference?
3. Is it possible to have multiple applications? one from AUR and other from the repo? if so how does the system handle them?
>>
>>56614996
~/.xinitrc
if [ -s ~/.Xresources ]; then
xmodmap ~/.Xresources
fi
>>
>>56615086
Why doesn't ~/.Xresources get automatically loaded then? Also are you sure it's xmodmap? It cannot parse my ~/.Xresources file.

Besides, it loads my old config just fine, I simply changed the font in ~/.Xresources and now it uses the old font unless I xrdb manually and restart the terminal, what's going on? Is ~/.Xresources simply loaded once and moved somewhere else permanently or what?
>>
>>56615070
1. No, you will need an aur helper, such as pacaur, or apacman
2. It can be more then just the pkgbuild, you may need an '.install' file or other files needed to build the package prior to dowloading sources(makepkg -o)
3. Yes, you will need to change the binary name, such as firefox,firefox-aurora,firefox-esr. Which can be done in the PKGBUILD
>>
>>56615113
I am posting with stock settings. If you did something else which isnt stock, you will need to retrace your actions, and find what is causing the problem.

This is the full battery, i've never experienced said issue, Check permissions
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
done
unset f
fi
if [ -s ~/.Xmodmap ]; then
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
fi
if [ -s ~/.Xresources ]; then
xmodmap ~/.Xresources
fi
>>
>>56615116
>3. Yes, you will need to change the binary name, such as firefox,firefox-aurora,firefox-esr. Which can be done in the PKGBUILD
And can this be done through AUR directly? or I have to download the snapshot and then run makepkg or running yaourt?
>>
>>56615150
Basically my problem is that about 3 years ago when I first setup this desktop, I made some changes to ~/.Xresources, then used xrdb and the changes persisted. Now I've adjusted the font, executed xrdb and it uses the old font.

I just, however, found this on Arch Wiki:
>If you are using a copy of the default xinitrc as your .xinitrc it already merges ~/.Xresources.

>If you are using a custom .xinitrc add the following line:

>[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge -I$HOME ~/.Xresources

I, however, never had that entry in my .xinitrc to begin with and the old change somehow persisted. I've added it just now and it works so I won't worry about it but I'm still curious how come the old change could persist then.

Also:
>xmodmap ~/.Xresources

Try executing that manually for the record, I tried and got a bunch of errors, I don't think xmodmap is the correct command for ~/.Xresources it's just that you're not seeing it because you've no log from ~/.xinitrc errors.
>>
>>56615309
Yes, the aur helpers i listed, will ask you if you want to read the PKGBUILD an .install files. At this point you can edit the PKGBUILD. You also should read the PKGBUILD and see what it is doing, so you know it isnt going to fuck with shit it dosent need to touch. Though, if would suggest you just get the tarball and extract it ,and edit the PKGBUILD locally and build it locally, so it is easier to edit, and you wont have to edit shit everytime.
>>
File: 1421931443832.jpg (97KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1421931443832.jpg
97KB, 681x1024px
>>56615418
Thank you.
You've been most helpful.
Is the learning curve always this steep?
>>
>>56614598
gentoo is also botnet
>>
i just installed debian, what are things i should do first? before this i just use linuxmint/ubuntu
are there any good xx things to do after installing debian on youtube or any site will do
>>
>>56615534
nots not steep
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

Learn it once and you're good
>>
>>56614941
>he didn't understand that canonibuntu was also bullied
>>56613617
Installs or live images?
>>
>>56614941
>implying Arch is worth installing
>implying installing it is hard
>mom look, I copy pasted 10 cmds from the wiki, I'm a hacker now, wait a sec, need to post it everywhere on the internet: I INSTALLED ARCH
>>
>>56615576
Not him but I thought AUR just provide the PKGBUILD file why do you need to build it?
>>
>>56615575
Upgrade to Sid to have bleeding edge packages.
Install apt-listbugs, run it before you update any enjoy the best distro.
>>
Why is there no config-qt5?
How do I make Qt5 applications look good?
They just look like Windows Classic Theme.

Please send help, I tried changing the environment variable (QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE) but it doesn't work either.
>>
>>56615645
He wants to compile a 2nd version of the same package.
Example, you can have firefox binary name 'firefox' and firefox-nightly binary name 'firefox-nightly'. They can run at the same time.
For some reason he wants to have a second version of a program of the same application.
Aur helpers will pull in the PKGBUILD on the aur repo.Each time he did this, it wouldnt create a different named binary.If he does this locally, he can create a seperate binary.
>>
>>56615575
read the installation guide, read the administrator handbook, maybe harden it or just configure ufw, install things you like, change .bashrc to your liking, read manuals for bash and any program you like (man/info <program name>), learn about pipes, try making some neat hacks, check out checkinstall and the debian alternatives system, read about aptitude and apt/apt-get so you can figure out which you want to use, check out a few programs that could fit you, try some DEs and WMs that you could like (for standalone wms i recommend reading the manual before)
>>
What do you guys think of tails?
>>
>>56615733
like most distros, can be configured on your own with minimal work but it's nice to have an AIO package for normies
>>
File: 04tmkQfb1Sw.jpg (73KB, 749x749px) Image search: [Google]
04tmkQfb1Sw.jpg
73KB, 749x749px
>>56614941
>>
>>56615779
>search results
>APT dep hell
>>5 billion trillion results
>search results
>pacman
>>5 search results on xbuntu forums
>>
>>56615704
I meant why go through the trouble of creating PKGBUILD file, instead of simply downloading the source tarball and compile it yourself.
>>
>>56615873
Because it will not be within your package manager, and your system will not know it exists.
When deps change or updates happen, your program may not work.
You dont have too,but you WILL run in to issues, if you do it outside of pacman.
>>
For multiple purposes I have decided to dual boot. It's been a good while so I must ask: With Xubuntu will I have any issues doing this if I have installed Windows on a GPT partition table?

And how much would you share from a 120GB SSD to each system if you were to use both fairly regularly?
>>
>>56615997
Are you going to do anything with the system besides installing multiple OS on it?
>>
>>56616048
I'm going to work, I'm going to learn and I'm going to entertain myself.
>>
Any news on AMD supporting GCN 1.0 cards with their new drivers?
>>
>>56615997
Check the Copypasta pastebin in the OP. At the very end there's a short guide I wrote on how to partition Debian in an SSD/HDD setup, both for dual-booting and single-booting options. It should also work for Xubuntu (unless Ubuntu's installer is retarded and doesn't allow for LVM or something)
>>
So Im at school and dont have my workstation. My MacBook only has like 120gigs of memory. How exactly do I install a VM that can be recognized by Virtual Box to a usb? I would be using it for just general fucking around.
>>
File: 1459832324002.gif (9KB, 195x231px) Image search: [Google]
1459832324002.gif
9KB, 195x231px
So guys, I just upated to GNOME 3.21.90 and there seem to be absolutely fucking zero shell extensions that are compatible.

Can I force my old ones to load somehow? It really sucks missing drop-down terminal and the dash to dock thing.
>>
>>56613970

If you're on a modern distribution, use journalctl to get the benefits it offers.
>>
I got my two favorite games working in WINE. My graphics card isn't really super great, it's a 780m and the nvidia aur is a bit wonky at times.

Are the official radeon linux drivers any good? thinking of getting a 490 when they come out.
>>
>>56616851
Which games were they familia?
I'm always looking for more good stuff that works on Wine
>>
>>56616867
Planetside 2 and FFXIV
>>
>>56615669

It's all explained on the Arch Wiki and other places.
I use qt5gtk2 to make Qt5 programs use my GTK2 theme and system icon theme along with the GTK2 file-dialog.
>>
>>56616886
Neat
>>
>>56616623
enable the usb controller in the perferences
>>
>>56616844

>3.21.9

Nigga, that's a development version. Why are you using that one? Wait a few more weeks for 3.22 to come out and the extension to get updated.
>>
>>56616848
>binary logs that are easily corruptable, despite walking on eggshells when using systemd
>>
>>56616844
yes
>>
File: Windows+7+Taskbar[1].png (86KB, 445x196px) Image search: [Google]
Windows+7+Taskbar[1].png
86KB, 445x196px
Which desktop environments have a Windows 7 style taskbar? (app launchers that turn into window tabs)

I want to try a bunch of them right now. The toolbar applet for this in Cinnamon is incredibly buggy and the guy who made it doesn't ever update it.
>>
>>56616923
It was pushed to Debian Testing a few days ago.

>>56616932
How?
>>
>>56616924

>look mom, i parrotted that one line which i picked up on the internet

Show me objective data that compares the "corruption" rate of "binary" logs compared to "text" logs. People have been using binary logs even before systemd-journal, but you didn't complain about it because it wasn't hip and you hadn't read that one sentence you constantly spout on here.
>>
>>56616948
Try tint2 or plank
>>
>>56616851
>official radeon linux drivers
Like, the proprietary ones? No
The free ones are catching up, but might need a bit of extra time before I'd consider AMD over Nvidia.
>>
>>56616844
just wait a week or two.
>>
>>56616979
WIth a text log,it will literally have the output to it, it cannot be corrupted, the data it wrote, will be, but it will not completely kill the log, which systemd does as it is a binary

Knowing BASIC functionality, you can derive this

syslog, the literal fucking default for over 40 years
>>
>>56617004
so wait are you saying the free radeon drivers are better than the proprietary ones?
>>
>>56616948

xfce? or cinnimon?
>>
>>56617039
Yes, the proprietary drivers are that bad.
>>
>>56617077
Well that's depressing. NVidia is such a dickish company i don't like to give them money.
>>
>>56616948
Plasma 5
>>
>>56616948
Xfce
>>56617039
In a few cases actually yes. they are more stable in every case.
>>
>>56617104
Guess who's got the best Linux drivers? Intel
>>
>>56617122
I believe it. The frame they rendered yesterday looked beautiful.
>>
>>56617104
gpu driver rank:
intel>nvidia nonfree>amd free~amd nonfree>>>>>>>>>>>>>nvidia free(because nvidia sabotages the devs wherever they can)
>>
>>56617164
Yean you can understand why I was incredulous, having dealt with nouveau before.
>>
>>56617036

>text files cannot become corrupted
I don't know much about computer technology to dispute you, but I don't think that's right. I seriously doubt that's right.

>completely kill the log
I suggest you read post #3 in here before spreading misinformation.
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64116
>>
>>56617122

>best
>last release is years old, distributions have to release development snapshots with fixed bugs and new features

It might be the best, but that's relative to the crappy rest.
>>
>>56617164

What's wrong with nouveau? I'm using them and it works fine on my 8800GT, but I don't play any games or do GPU intensive stuff.
>>
>>56617266
it is REALLY slow for gaming.
>>
so, i was theming awesome wm and now it is not tiling windows at all.
I used a theme from copycat-killer as a base, removed the widgets I didn't want, and set my layouts. I didn't alter rc.lua further than that. All the layouts i'm using are provided by lain. Any ideas?
>>
>>56617229
OH NO I QUOTED POTTERING THE RETARD WHO DOSENT ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND COMPUTING

He wants to replace su "because it has no purpose
Why does my init system need a webserver? or a dns cache?

Pottering doent know shit
OH I INTEND IT TO WORK THIS WAY, BUT IT DOSENT

>rotate
So you go to the prior log file, you go to open it up, and it is corrupt,now you cannot access the log of shit that went down
>but but but but verify
journalctl --verify does jack shit

t. someone using systemd
>>
>>56617266
Your gpu is old enough. Then it is fine.
>>
>>56617229
>someone who says "hence" every other sentence
>>
>>56616623
There's a function for that in 'preferences' in ur virtual machine program. did you even look for it
>>
>>56617266
>but I don't play any games or do GPU intensive stuff.
Yeah, your GPU drivers tend to not matter much if you don't use your GPU to begin with. Who'd have thought that?
>>
>>56617300
I got it to work. No clue what I did
>>
>>56617282
No shit, its not a 3d driver
>>
>>56617377
yes it is
>>
>>56617575
No, it isnt. Almost ALL cards by default clock to t he LOWEST setting.Example it starts at 5mhz but then jumps up based on your settings to 1500mhz
Check t hat feature matrix bruh
https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
>>
>>56617647
lacking complete reclocking doesn't mean it's not a 3D driver
>>
>>56599095

LXLE > Lubuntu
>>
>>56617647
If it wasn't a 3d driver you would literally not be able to display 3d content.
>>
>>56617310

>He wants to replace su "because it has no purpose
He doesn't and you should, again, familiarize yourself with the things you're parroting. machinectl doesn't replace su, it's for systemd-nspawn containers.

>Why does my init system need a webserver? or a dns cache?
That's not part of your init system.

>now you cannot access the log of shit that went down
You can access it, it's explained in that reply and other places. The whole file doesn't become unreadable.

>journalctl --verify does jack shit
It does exactly what it's meant to do. It's not supposed to fix corruptions.

Just like always, you have no real arguments. You're just spouting someone nonsense you saw others say in a mocking way. It's embarrassing, but fortunately this is the anonymous internet and not real life.
>>
>>56617669
k
tell me how that 5mhz clock works out for you kiddo
>>56617693
Which you cant
Show me a native 3d game running with nouveau with this shitty 5mhz clock
YOU
CANT
>>
Hello linux friends, I was wondering what would be a better OS for a Linux now, openSUSE or bunsenlabs?
>>
>>56617794
>https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/1022
>systemd-resolved
[Unit]
Description=Example Web Server

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/apache \
--nodaemon \
--pidfile= \
web --port 8080 --path .

WorkingDirectory=/srv/www/systemdsupporterisretarded.biz

User=nobody
Group=nobody

Restart=always

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

systemctl start www.systemdsupporterisfag
boom webserver
>>56617229
>>56617794

Hence: journalctl implicitly does on read what a theoretical journal file fsck tool would do, but without actually making this persistent. 

This logic also has a major benefit: as our reader gets better and learns to deal with more types of corruptions
 you immediately benefit of it, even for old files!

Stop shilling this hard. You're wrong, you know you are, stop making excuses.Stop being cucked my lennert
>>
100% new to Linux. Want full comfy barebones BS I can warp to my own desires and images with minimal bloat and maximum comfort. The kind of OS you boot in to and you feel the world at your fingertips...

Been told Debian is strong (ignoring the SJW meme) but Arch seems like a beast you must wrest in to your control (try hard memes). Thoughts? I've read stickies and guides and shit but it's all "huehueshitpostmemes" and I just need a clear start.

Babbys first distro, basically.
>>
>>56618098
This is my question basically but I have my eyes set on either openSUSE or bunsenlabs
>>
>>56618098
Ignore the memes. Arch has the most documentation and most complete repositories out of any distro. Their setup guide isn't as idiot-proof as gentoo's but you don't have to do anything retarded like gentoo either. Debian/fedora based distros add too much stupid custom shit that breaks anything you don't install through their package manager.
>>
>>56617915

You posted a link which proves that it's not replacing "su".

Thank you for posting that unit file. That is proof that you're an idiot who has no idea what he's talking about. It's a service file which starts an apache web server. According to your idiocy, every other init/service supervisor comes with a web-server because it can start a web-server during boot.

I'm not "shilling", I'm just point out your stupidity. You might be "shilling" against systemd.
>>
>>56618098
>comfy barebones
Also, you want blonde brunettes probably.

> The kind of OS you boot in to and you feel the world at your fingertips...
What are you? 12?

> a beast you must wrest in to your control
Yep, pretty sure you're 12 now

>Thoughts?
You need to be 18 to use this site
>>
>>56618098
Any will do if you can read. Just don't fall for the arch faggot.
>>
>>56618176
/httplists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-June/033170.html
/httparticle.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392
/httplists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html
/httpscgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=5a8bcb674f71a20e95df55319b34c556638378ce
/httpsgithub.com/systemd/systemd/commit/29272c04a73b00b5420ee686d73c3bc74d29d169?utm_source=anzwix
/httpsgithub.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402
/httpslists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/[email protected]/message/XW7V5A3RAWYCACU2ZMPA27ARRLIZUI37/
/httpsbugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1170765
/httpsbugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=784720
/httpslists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2015-February/028514.html
/httpsgithub.com/systemd/systemd/issues/825#issuecomment-127917622
>>
>>56618159
>most documentation
Wrong
>most complete repositories
AUR is not a repo and can be used on any distro. The arch main repo is rather small.
>debian/fedora breaks stuff outside of PM
packaging programs is extremely easy on debian and on fedora almost as easy, so that is not a problem. Also they don't use nearly as many patches as you may think.
>>
>>56618394
>every distro references arch wiki
>spend 5 minutes reading wiki, then type what you need for your hardware in another 5 minutes
I assume you're special needs and it takes you an hour to read 1000 words

>>56618176
There is no meme. The arch shitposters are loading up a vm with arch in it, and shitposting, when their main host os is windows.
>>
>>56618506
>google.com
>arch dep hell
>no results

>google.com
>apt dep hell
>1 billion trillion trillion results
>>
>>56618506
>Wrong
>read op of every /flt/ for years
>links arch wiki
>has most documentation
>literally all post about problems for any distro are referenced to arch wiki for solution
Wrong.

>main repo is small
As it should be.Only hosting essential programs in the main repo, is what should be standard. Packages that are not vital to system usecase, is thrown in extra, as it should be. Also, i dont have to enable 10 third party repos to get basic system functionality
>>
>>56610822
>Ho can I install the deepin desktop on Fedora?

There was an attempt on copr but many months ago.
https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/derekdai/deepin/

and this seems unfinished https://github.com/derekdai/fedora-deepin
>>
>>56618603
>>56618506
It's small but that's because it doesn't has stupid shit nobody uses. What it does have is wine-staging, krita 3, and other things that aren't outdated fucking garbage.
>>
>>56619096
Not to mention every DE and WM known to man.
>>
File: 7356735675.jpg (26KB, 261x350px) Image search: [Google]
7356735675.jpg
26KB, 261x350px
>>56618217
>>
>>56619096
>>56618603
>>56618536
>>56618506
This is the kind of shit I'm talking about. The autism gets more and more blatant with the ease of the question.
>>
lazy faggots, new thread >>56620060
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.