[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 44

File: 1456366483256.png (387KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1456366483256.png
387KB, 2560x1440px
Previously on: >>56422709

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
How do I delete my gui
>>
>>56433879
Post your $inxi -S
>>
>>56433897
my what
>>
>>56433917
your $inxi -S
>>
>>56433879
sudo rm -rf gui /*
>>
>>56433930
where do i find that

>>56433951
what does this mean
>>
File: lololololo.png (145KB, 583x666px) Image search: [Google]
lololololo.png
145KB, 583x666px
dis gud goyim?
>>
>>56434003
>not baka@desu
>>
>>56434051

deus is even better, it means God.
>>
>>56434003
>manjaro
no

also why doesn't the devs properly configure the font rendering
for a ootb distro this is pretty bad
>>
>>56434069

Manjaro is best linux.

Font is fine.
>>
>>56433873
If this is supposed to be a "Friendly" Thread then why did you post a picture mocking Windows?
>>
File: frank-gehry.jpg (74KB, 540x298px) Image search: [Google]
frank-gehry.jpg
74KB, 540x298px
>>56434085
>Over bloated arch with slightly outdated packages and security issues
>Is best linux
>tfw your retarded
Just use the vanilla arch distro you dumb currynigger. Or use a really man's distro, Gentoo.
>>
>>56434149
Security updates are not delayed, retard
>>
File: 1467008649838.jpg (155KB, 753x706px) Image search: [Google]
1467008649838.jpg
155KB, 753x706px
Ubuntu 16.04: Nm-applet crashes periodically, taking entire network functionality with it. Something related on bugtracker, but not fixed yet. So do I a) downgrade package from updates, or b) upgrade to proposed, and see if it fixes? Will it update back to updates after? I literally have no idea what to do and where to look for answers.

Weird thing is, my other laptop doesn't have the bug, despite being an identical install with same package. Fuck, I thought Ubuntu was supposed to be babby's first distro, but here I'm up to my nose trying to get internet working.
>>
>>56434171
However packages are, and manjaro is undeniably bloated. Why use manjaro if you can design a much more minimal, bullshit-free system with arch or gentoo. Only winbabbies need an installer.
>>
>>56433873
>xfce4 font rendering on desktop
wtf man? text is like half an inch to the left of icons and shadows.
how do I fix this?
>>
File: odysseeproductions.com.png (278KB, 915x1002px) Image search: [Google]
odysseeproductions.com.png
278KB, 915x1002px
Hello. I started a new job and dual-booted w10 and slackware 14.1 (64) on my work machine. I haven't used windows once and I need to drive space, but I am unable to shrink the windows partition. If i just delete the partion, will i be able to extend the linux partition onto the newly cleared space? Also, Will i need to do any editing to my LILO config?

pic work related
>>
shoutout to wokko who twice, graciously helped me out on the #gentoo irc
>>
Why is apt so fucking slow compared to pacman?
>>
>>56434262
>Only winbabbies need an installer.
I only ever install arch using architect because I'm too lazy to do it by hand though the cli
>>
>>56434735
winbanny in denial
>>
>>56434759
I'm not
>had to switch back to windows on desktop because I fucked everything up and needed to use it
>laptop runs windows because linux drivers for WWAN are retarded
>>
File: 2016-09-05_11-16-28.png (165KB, 869x640px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05_11-16-28.png
165KB, 869x640px
Reminder that Microsoft deprecated having a separate Linux distro installed
>>
>>56434796
For what purpose?
>>
>>56434796
3/10 bait
(even if Ubuntu runs on Windows, that doesn't make normal Ubuntu or any other distro obsolete)
>>
>>56434825
You can run GUI and CLI linux programs on Windows 10 now, meaning there's no need to have a separate install.
>>
File: defkit.jpg (7KB, 185x188px) Image search: [Google]
defkit.jpg
7KB, 185x188px
>>56433873
what's your guyses opinion on ubuntu and mint?
i'm looking to reinstall it (probably mint) after i get my external hard drive for a backup.

been using ubuntu on my laptop quite a while now and i'm really happy with it. app suport is good.
use it for steam, firefox, texmaker, octave and other programming.
am more on the casual side when it comes to using the terminal for installs, meaning googleing then copy-paste-commands.
>>
>>56434796
>Not firefox 48.0.1
Fuck off nigger
>>
>>56434850
I've always had a soft spot for how easy and comfy those two are. Mint being the easier, but Ubuntu being comfier. Mints just too downstream for me, I remember waiting too long for updates and using old drivers in mint. Always been a sucker for xubuntu though
>>
>>56434796
For me, Microsoft deprecated themselves with the continuous windows 10 updates.
Now I run Linux and use VMs to handle what I need in a windows environment.
>>
File: rms.jpg (25KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
25KB, 690x388px
>>56434850
>what's your guyses opinion on ubuntu and mint?
They don't respect your freedoms.
>>
>>56434876
>xubuntu
looks like the best of both worlds! if the slow update trouble that you had with mint doesn't happen with xubuntu, then it sounds like
"the best of both worlds"

>>56434916
pls explain
>>
>>56434916
this
>>
>>56434108
friendly to all the other gnu/linux users. Windows users used to come here and shitpost because they were jealous that a linux thread can exist and survive while a windows thread is doa
>>
>>56434932
>pls explain
what's to explain. i'm not going to run software that i can't see the source code of. it doesnt respect my freedom. you don't run closed-source software- it runs you.
>>
>>56434951
oh damn, does xubuntu have the same thing?
>>
>>56434967
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
>>
>>56434839
>speed
>privacy

Pretty big reasons if you ask me.
>>
>>56434951
Autism: The Post
>>
I decided I'll get Lubuntu for WMware, anything I should be aware of?

I think I might buy a cheap dedicated machine for this later, might get a different distro then
>>
>>56434991
I have a modern computer and I'm not a pedophile, so you have a weak argument.
>>
>>56434998
>WMware
If you mean VMWare, it should be chill. Get some VMWare Tools, or the open version if they're good now. Should net you a decent resolution that matches your window size, and some other features you may or may not need.
>>
>>56434916
GNU/Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Mint come with non-free software, and they don't have any FOSS standards or principles.

>>56434967
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html
Any distro not listed here most likely has non-free software. Notice how you've never heard of any of them and most of them haven't seen an update in years.
Some distros are free like Debian, but because they offer non-free as an option, they don't get endorsed.

You can learn all about why free software is good and non-free software is bad on this page and others on the site: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

Unless you have certain hardware, your drivers will function like shit on exclusively FOSS, and that's why a majority of users go at least partially non-free. Also certain applications like Steam are non-free software.
>>
>>56435042
thank you
>>
>>56435050
thank you very much dude!
xubuntu is still in the lead then. i wonder about the "amazon spyware" thing from ubuntu, but yeah. you just saved me some time looking through all those distros
>>
>>56434932
>the best of both worlds"
I found it in between Fedora, and Mint. It's fairly easy to get going, Fedora needed work to stabilize and mint needed shoe horned newer packages I found.

Also if you're actually worried about free as in freedom software, don't waste your time with steam. Look at Good old Games or something.
>>
>>56434850
Pretty much what >>56434876 said.

I haven't used Ubuntu in years though, so I don't know much about the current version(aside from shitposting). Mint is pretty great.
>>
wich distro does /fglt/ use?
>http://www.strawpoll.me/11158878/
>>
>>56434171
Yes they are, you idiot. Firefox remains behind for weeks too often.
>>
>>56435102
Arch KDE on desktop
Arch one homeserver
Android on phone
And Open-WRT on the router

So, not one
>>
>>56434085
All the Manjaro tools (like mhwd) are utterly shit. The Arch base though is somewhat tolerable.
>>
>>56435069
you might have realised me posting a picture of a defuse kit, so being able to play counterstrike (on steam) is important to me.
being able to play retro games ontop of that is fine.

does xubuntu have the same packages as ubuntu?
is it just ubuntu with a different desktop?
>>
>>56435102
>/gentoo
>Pattern not found
into the trash it goes
>>
>>56435123
I recognized the CT logo tbqh senpai. A recommendation like GoG never hurts though.

Plainly put, xubuntu and ubuntu share the same repositories for software. They only differ in what DE and maybe a few other packages are pre-installed.
>>
File: battery.jpg (46KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
battery.jpg
46KB, 1280x720px
How can I improve battery life with Xubuntu in my thinkpad x230?

I've already installed and conmfigured tlp.
>>
>>56435102
>no gentoo
Is this some kind of sick joke? Don't you know where you are?
>>
>>56433873
Whoever made that picture should be shot.
>>
>>56435387
>he mad
>>
>>56435253
Not using Ubuntu you dickwad.
>>
>>56435439
And besides that?
>>
File: freebsd2icon.jpg (78KB, 387x397px) Image search: [Google]
freebsd2icon.jpg
78KB, 387x397px
>install memeix
>told to section off a swap partition that ends up never being used
>spend 7 hours at a blurry command line trying to get x to start without crashing, it turns out using nvidia's own memeix driver is "not recommended" (even though it's the only one installed from "emerge --ask fag0t/nvidia" and nouveau is never suggested)
>constant crashes and bugs from installing or editing configs as su/root, even though this is the default prompt when not specifically emerging packages "locally"
>audio sounds like shit, no equalizer without torturous frankenstein code, end up with 3 arbitrary layers between alsa, pulseaudio and some weird generic sound abstraction to get sound to sort of work
>urxvt hard crashes if you get its insane font specification wrong, instead of just falling back to a system font
>network goes ballistic and refuses to work when net.conf (or one of the other billion network dependencies) has "eth1" instead of "eno1" as the name for an ethernet connection for some reason, even though the system will aggressively revert back to "eth1" given the chance (devs have accepted this is a bug and apparently just don't care)

10/10 gota experience thanks /g/
>>
Why am I not getting any sound from this internet connectivity testing script I wrote? The "ffplay" line works fine when I run it manually, but not in the script.

#!/bin/bash

TEST_SITE ="www.google.ba"

check_internet() {
ping -c 3 $TEST_STRANICA &>/dev/null
echo $?
}

while true; do
STATE=$(check_internet)
if [[ $STATE == 0 ]]; then
ffplay -nodisp -autoexit ~/my_file.wav &>/dev/null
exit
fi
sleep 60
done
>>
>>56435564

A lot of PEBCAC.
>>
linux noob here

decided to give it a shot with Bunsen labs, and holy fuck, this shit is confusing as hell

how do you guys deal with this

I literally spent 30mins trying to get weechat installed properly and I can't even find it

I wanted to do cool ricing stuff with a WM but I have no idea what the hell I am doing

conky looks cool though :)
>>
>>56435566
It wouldn't work unless you've defined $TEST_STRANICA elsewhere without telling us.
>>
File: 2578.jpg (23KB, 136x101px) Image search: [Google]
2578.jpg
23KB, 136x101px
>>56435620
>>56435566

I forgot to change $TEST_STRANICA when I edited the variable names before posting (I don't use English words in the actual script).

I am also an idiot who forgot that he changed the WAV file's name, but forgot changing it in the script. It's working now.
>>
>>56435669
You should get into a habit of using english in your scripts, lest you alienate basically everyone in your open-source projects.
>>
>>56435616
Don't you use Openbox if you don't know how to find manuals and read them.
>>
I know I'm just asking to get shat on, but does anyone know how I can get rid of this huge GNOME 3 titlebar for JUST Firefox?

I've already tried the "Hide Caption Titlebar Plus" add-on and it's unpolished shit.
>>
>>56435616

Your mistakes:
>installing a shitty niche spin-off distribution
>thinking "ricing" is exclusive to distributions
>thinking that only certain setups have a window manager (thinking that GNOME for example doesn't have a "WM")

Your solutions:
>install an upstream, "core" distribution
>learn how to use your distribution's package manager
>realize that when you install an application, the package almost always puts an executable file into a directory that's in your PATH; therefore you can just type the program's name into your terminal emulator to start it.
>realize that you can "rice" everything the same way across every distribution
>>
>>56435718

Took me 13 seconds to find a Firefox addon which disables the titlebar when the window is maximized.
>>
Hello /g/entoomen (posted this in the wrong thread, so reposting it in the right one now)
Linux nub currently using Mint as my first linux distro and I'm interested in something less bloated and maybe a bit closer to source.
Is it possible to use a distro like debian, gentoo/funtoo, or fedora and make install software from git repos instead of using binary packages?
Is there a benefit to using alternatives to apt and ppa:s?
How do I update kernels and keep up with source repositories like git to make a rolling release?
Did I fall for any ebin /g/ linux memes?
>>
>>56435719
well what distro would you suggest for a netbook using an atom n270 and 2gb of ddr2
>>
>>56435768
Which one?
>>
>>56434466
had the same happen to me, couldnt fix it, switched back to gnome. Linux is all about choice, amirite
>>
>>56436063

Htitle. Also check this out: https://github.com/chpii/Headerbar

>>56435855

Your distribution will have minimal impact on your performance (depending on the features the software was compile with, usually the differences are minimal between distributions). What matters is the software you're using and most distributions have the same software in their repositories. It's up to you to install certain software which might perform "better".
Try all of the desktop environments and see how they perform on your hardware. That's the only way to make sure. Only an idiot would blindly refrain from using, let's say GNOME, without testing it himself. What if GNOME suits your needs and works perfectly fine on your hardware, but some idiot told you not to use it because it's "heavy"?
>>
>>56436153

No, it's not about choice.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-January/msg00861.html
>>
>>56434991
I have a modern computer and im not being a retard by not pirating the enterprise version and disabling/uninstalling everything i dont like
>>
>>56436159
God damn it. I just assumed it wouldn't've worked because it says (discontinued). It works perfectly and does just what I want, even on the latest GNOME. Thanks.
>>
>>56435564
>Swap
>Never used
As I am writing this, I am using swap right now and the used space is larger than my kernel size itself

You got dropped right there, fucking retard
>>
>>56436219

I think the "discontinued" means he's not working on it any longer.
>>
File: 2016-09-05-14:32:32.png (7KB, 397x119px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05-14:32:32.png
7KB, 397x119px
Is there a way to disable this line in vim? I don't need to know the last command I used or in which mode I am. The constant flashing annoying me.
What's that line's name? I tried searching online, but from what I've seen it's impossible to hide it.
>>
>>56433873
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.

Thanks for listening.
>>
File: 1460594726237.jpg (48KB, 462x462px) Image search: [Google]
1460594726237.jpg
48KB, 462x462px
What's the most light weight bestest terminal based music player?

cmus or moc or what
>>
>>56436387
>>56436380
Chronic autism
>>
Pacman is giving me this error
error: GPGME error: No data

Should running
pacman -Syy
pacman -Sc

Solve it?
>>
>>56436426
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142798
>>
>>56435102
>no TempleOS

Step it up NSempAi
>>
wtf is this?
>>
>>56436482
which one is the .desktop file?
>>
>>56436482
>>56436525
Enable file extension view
>>
>>56434991
W10 is pretty fast and you can just use a local account...

Also at this point its looking as if internet awareness alone is causing freetards to grasp their Snowden daki in fear
>>
>>56435718
>gnome
>>
>>56436665
>Snowden dakimakura
I-is that a thing? I'll buy one if it is
>>
If i wanted to be able to render, with audio, as many videos at once as possible on GNU/Linux

What GPU should I buy?

I assume mpv is the program which can handle the most simultaneously.

I don't mind if i have to use binary blobs to get better performance either.
>>
how 2 install gentoo on retina macbook?
>>
>>56436481
>memes
Did you forget about hardware exploits and shit like intel ME and AMD's trustzone and all proprietary firmware ever
>>
>>56436750
You would be bottlenecked by your cpu long before gpu unless you have an igpu or some ancient ddr3 gpu
>>
>>56436814
Fuck, so I basically should get a high end Intel CPU to keep up
>>
>>56436824
AMD's fine and a lot cheaper too
>>
>>56436402
Mpd+ncmpcpp
>>
>>56436824
Unless all the video is compliant for vdpau, yes. I'd recommend an extreme edition if you have >$1k or at least a 6700k
If all video is optimized for vdpau just get a decent i3/i5 and a new nvidia card
How many/much video are you playing?
>>
>>56436901
n^2 where n is an integer and the largest integer i can run
>>
How do you guys pronounce MATE? Do you pronounce it mate, like an ignorant hooligan, or maté, like a correct person.
>>
>>56436450
>It's fixed now, but I don't know what worked exactly.
Very helpful.
>>
>>56436913
Nigga give me a general idea
>res, bitrate, cabac?, deblocking?, sao?
and how many
I need a fucking target workload to estimate specs
>>
>>56436956
I would have thought that hardware which is ideal for decoding multiple videos at once would be invariant of those things.

Just typical downloaded videos
>>
>>56436937
may-tea, like a proper fucking lunatic
>>
>>56436967
>typical downloaded videos
That's something, at least.
An i5 and a 1060 should be enough
>>
>>56436937
>>56436985
m-uh-tay
>>
>>56436985

holy shit lad you're off your noggin!
>>
>>56435712
>Does Arch for ARM have all the same packages as other architectures do? I'd like to use a tablet with a keyboard as a portable coding setup.
more or less, few programs are truly x86-only, for example zsnes and pcsx2, which use x86 assembly which is non-portable code
see https://archlinuxarm.org/packages to see if it has what you need
>>
Is there anything to be gained in running a Linux VM on Windows for daily usage? In the botnet and privacy department I mean.

I need my gaymes and dual booting isn't really cutting it for me, and I don't have the hardware to do GPU passthrough. So this could be one way I suppose.
>>
>>56436665
>pretty fast
lier
>>
>>56436387
Linux doesn't provide enough functionality to be a Unix-like operating system. So, it's not an operating system in that sense.
>>
In my funtoo, ABI_x86="32 64" does not enable 32 bit libraries, it still requires me to manually enable abi_x86_32 in package.use for each package that requires it. Can anyone help?
>>
>>56436402
just use paplay/aplay
flac -cd --force-raw-format --endian=little --sign=signed *.flac | paplay -p --raw
>>
>>56437473
gentoo > funtoo
>>
What is the best DE for that comfy Windows 98 feel?
>>
>>56437473
no idea how to properly fix it, but you could write your own script so that myemerge calls emerge with the proper switches you always type in anyways, then put that in usr/bin so you can call it like any regular program.
any time you find something else that doesn't quite work with emerge you put it in that script too. it's ugly but fun!
>>
>>56437829
explorer.exe, version 4.1.2222A
>>
Any manjaro/arch user?
Never done -Syu , should I do so?
And if it breaks it how to fix it?
>>
File: serveimage.png (131KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
131KB, 1920x1080px
>>56437829
XFCE.
LXDE probably works pretty well too.
>>
File: 1468745300409.jpg (24KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
1468745300409.jpg
24KB, 500x455px
>>56437856
>>
What is a simple linux bandwidth monitor?

Not realtime -- I'd like to track my usage by site on a daily / weekly / monthly basis. Comfy reports a plus.
>>
>>56437856
Why the fuck would you not update your system?
>>
>>56437886
The fear of breaking everything and not becoming able to restore it.
>>
>>56437958
Then you honestly shouldn't be using Arch. I'm not saying that to be an elitist or anything, I'm saying that because if you're worried about updates breaking your system you shouldn't be using a distro that prides itself on being bleeding edge.

Go use Debian or Fedora or Ubuntu or something instead.
>>
>>56437958
Arch isn't that unstable that it will break your system every time you update.

Hell, in my time using it it's been more stable than something like Ubuntu.

And if you do break something, use the wiki.
>>
>>56433951
Don't do this. B8
>>
>>56437856
The longer you wait the more likely it is to break, smart alec.
>>
>>56434069
It's easy to fix by changing the settings in xresources I don't know why they don't do that out of the box.
>>
>>56437974
But those require you to re-install every now and then.
>>56437976
Really?
I've never done -Syu, and the only time I did.
I got my OS bricked.
>>56438005
Is this a meme?
>>
>>56438033
>>But those require you to re-install every now and then.
You dont have to re-install to upgrade between releases of any of those distros. They all have built in upgrade paths.
>>
>>56438033
>I've never done -Syu, and the only time I did.
I got my OS bricked.

Then you were really unlucky.
>>
guys, how do I open a file in the file manager as root without the terminal?
>>
>>56438072
what kind of file and why
also what file manager and DE are you using?
rightclick -> open maybe?
>>
How to make a snapshot of my OS? and save it in case something goes wrong?
Or I want to upgrade to new SSD/HDD?
lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 255M 0 part /boot
├─sda2 8:2 0 29.3G 0 part /
├─sda3 8:3 0 432.5G 0 part /home
├─sda4 8:4 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.8G 0 part [SWAP]
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
>>
Did arch get rid of the beginner guide for a reason or just because they're dicks?
>>
File: 1454908341552.jpg (11KB, 368x298px) Image search: [Google]
1454908341552.jpg
11KB, 368x298px
>>56433873
Oh boy - having a really fun arch problem.

So I have a card that's only supported by broadcom-wl (At least as far as I konw) so as you can imagine, it's a blast.

So I came home this weekend after not using my desktop for about a week, and I'm greeted by this:
 ERROR @wl_cfg80211_scan : WLC_SCAN error (-22) 

When I try to connect to a network from the nm-applet, I get "Failed to Activate Connection - (2) Active connection removed before it was initialized." Same if I try to connect using nmcli.

So I tried removing broadcom-wl-dkms and reinstalling it, but same thing happens. Ethernet works just peachy.

I'm kind of at a loss, and googling hasn't helped a whole lot either.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>56438097
xubuntu default file manager. i'm trying to edit a .conf file and the text editor (mousepad) says it doesn't have the permission.
>>
>>56438138
Why not just use the terminal? It's really easy,

>sudo mousepad "copy paste file path to .conf file"
>>
Where is Openbox in Fedora 24?
Installed fresh but it doesn't apear in the menu. I see the desktop files in the xsession folder
>>
>>56438164
ok, i'll do that.
>>
>>56438138
sudo mousepad /file_path
>>
>>56438098
You can clone your whole harddrive to an external location with
dd if=/dev/sda of=/path/to/externalHDD/backup.bin bs=4k
make sure to read the dd manual
and make sure to double check your if and of parameters
>>
>>56433879
Sudo pacman -Rs xorg-server
:^)
>>
>>56438138
>xubuntu default file manager
Your file manger should be Thunar.
Right click > thunar root.
>>
>>56438214
I've used dd to wipe SD card before.
Why bs 4 k? BIN? what file system format should the external HDD be?
Will restoring the system be like booting a live linux session, then
dd if=/path/to/externalHDD/backup.bin of=/dev/sda bs=4k

Do I need to change fstab?
>>
File: 1459597098233.jpg (45KB, 740x721px) Image search: [Google]
1459597098233.jpg
45KB, 740x721px
>>56438132
Okay update

If I manually do
 ip link set wlp7s0 up 
, everything works.

So this means that for whatever reason, I have to MANUALLY re enable the service every boot.

Any advice?
>>
>>56438269
>Why bs 4 k?
Most HDDs/FS have sector size of 4k so specifying it makes the copy faster.
>BIN?
Could be anything, this is just the filename. Use .iso if it makes more sense to you.
>what file system format should the external HDD be?
Doesn't matter as long as you can write to it. I'd avoid ntfs or experimental filesystems, though, just to be sure that nothing goes wrong.
>Will restoring the system be like booting a live linux session, then
>
dd if=/path/to/externalHDD/backup.bin of=/dev/sda bs=4k

Yes
>Do I need to change fstab?
I haven't done that in a while but I don't think so.

You could also do
dd if=/dev/sda bs=4k | gzip --fast | dd bs=4k of=/path/to/externalHDD/backup.gz

To save a bit of space on your external HDD.
>>
>>56438317
Okay I fixed it.

I had to unload and reload the wl module. BROADCOM DOES IT AGAIN.

Honestly, I think Linux is really awesome, but if you are using a broadcom card (particularly one that b43 doesn't support) don't fucking bother with it. It's not worth it. It will always fuck up no matter what you do, and will just decide to shit itself whenver it feels like.

It gets worse if you use something like arch, because then you have to grab the wl drivers from an unofficial repo, otherwise you basically get fucked in the ass.

Anyways, if somebody has any explanation as to what just happened, please tell me.
>>
File: 1469690381787.jpg (119KB, 889x1300px) Image search: [Google]
1469690381787.jpg
119KB, 889x1300px
>>56438399
>makes the copy faster.
How fast?
>as long as you can write to it
Even FAT32? how will it handle files bigger than 4GB?
>dd if=/dev/sda bs=4k | gzip --fast | dd bs=4k of=/path/to/externalHDD/backup.gz
Neat, is there a specific reason for using gz? instead of TAR?
>>
>>56438453
>How fast?
http://stackoverflow.com/a/27772496
>>
>>56438129
Probably to be dicks.

I was poking about after reading your post, and somebody on >leddit posted about how it was apparently a "planned removal" since 2012.

Which seems really silly to me, because it's far superior than the installation guide in pretty much every way. One is a pretty good guide you can follow and then click links for information, while the other is just a bunch of stupid shit to check off you've done.

I like this installation guide myself though
http://www.muktware.io/arch-linux-guide-the-always-up-to-date-arch-linux-tutorial/

I cross referenced it with arch wiki's beginners guide and it was really easy. Made sure I never fucked a single thing up.

Arch is an AMAZING distro and I'm glad I use it, but the community is just such a bunch of fucking asshats sometimes.

I can't blame people around here for not liking it because of the community, but nothing else has come close to me in terms of ease of use.
>>
Internet through ethernet cable won't work on Ubuntu 16.04. I'm tethering through my phone to the WiFi, which works fine, but the ethernet cable won't work. Cable works on other machines and systems, and had worked previously with this machine when running Windows.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas?
>>
>>56438524
Paste the results of ip link
>>
>>56438129
it probably needs updating
>>
Why did Stallman cross the road?
>>
>>56438129

Did you see the latest versions of the beginner's guide? It was being slimmed down, a lot.
The new guide is the result of that. Instead of having duplicate information in the guide, you can just click on the links which lead to more detailed pages for certain things. Being able to click a link is a new requirement for installing Arch Linux.
>>
File: 1472175115483.png (776KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1472175115483.png
776KB, 1920x1080px
Uese this on the next fglt thread.
>>
>>56438185

>menu
Which menu? How do you expect people to help you when you don't list any information?
>>
>>56438600

>fedora is an actual picture
>not a crudely drawn comic

Your picture has less consistency than the Windows 10 UI.
>>
>>56438615
that's the joke.
>>
>>56438600
Why manjaro is on it as well? why not gentoo?
>>
Hi /g/, question for you: I have an old ASUS EeePC (1011CX), and I would like to use it for films/browsing/.pdf reading. The thing is, its specs are extremely poor and Windows seem to not be running smoothly. I decided to install Linux MX-14, based on Debian, since it was said to be lightweight.

However, I wouldn't mind changing OS. So what would you recommend?

Here are the specs:

>CPU: Intel Atom N2600 / 1.6 GHz, dual core
>RAM: 800 Mhz DDR3 SDRAM
>GPU: Intel GMA 3600
>HDD: 512 Gb, lots of partitions
>>
>school tomorrow
>bought a drive for my laptop thats ssd went bad
>want to install linux on it to get more life out of it

so many choices

>xubuntu
>>change theme, desktop text off-centered forever
>>no text bar in thunar nautrally, has to be changed

aside from that I wouldn't mind it

>linux mint xfce
>>everything was easy to set up
>>no off-centered desktop text when theme changed
>>has text bar in thunar from the get go

I wouldn't mind that either, but isn't linux mint compromised?

>elementary os
>>everything has to be tweaked
>>install nautilus for desktop icons, they don't snap into place on boot until you start doing something

I'd like to use an OS that is "consumer friendly"
>>
>>56438666
Try Ubuntu first. If it's too heavy, try Lubuntu.
>>
>>56438699
Install Gentoo
>>
>>56438023
>It's easy to fix by changing the settings in xresources I don't know why they don't do that out of the box.

I'm interested.. what would you propose to change? my defaults seem to be:
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.autohint: false
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefault
>>
>>56438214
>dd
Why not use the superior rsync?
>>
>>56438640

I seriously doubt that's the joke.
>>
>>56438762
That is correct. If you still don't like the way it looks then you need infinality. But your settings should be good enough.

You can set hinting to hintnone if you want it to look like OSX.
>>
Is there a way to host a web-based CLI?
I'm thinking of like a password-locked web service that I can access without from any computer without setting up SSH.
>>
>>56438790
alright, thanks. I thought it was fine; can't remember changing stuff about font rendering tho and figured I ask if it could be better. I didn't see Windows' bad font rendering until I've seen it done better...
>>
>>56438800
Don't. This would be incredibly stupid.
>>
>>56437862
Theme?
>>
>>56438824
Why? Is it that hard to make a secure web interface?
>>
>>56433873
I'm using Fedora. If I write
>sudo dnf install "application name"
Instead of asking the root password, a message appears saying that I don't have sudo privileges and that will be reported.
I have to use "su" then put my password and then type the command.
Why is that?
>>
File: 1456535966082.jpg (110KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1456535966082.jpg
110KB, 1280x720px
So I'm gearing up to use GPU passthrough. Currently, my GTX 770 occupies my primary card slot, while the AMD 7750 I will be using to run my dual monitor setup is in a secondary slot. (I'd love to just use integrated graphics or something, but I fell for the AMD CPU meme)

So here's what I'm wondering - what do I need to do so that the nvidia card doesn't start until I use GPU passthrough? I'm thinking what I need to do is to switch the AMD to the primary slot first and connect both of my monitors to it. (Which I will do later this afternoon.) Then I can connect my 770 into my primary monitor as well.

Now, I'm not sure if this will work out fine, or if perhaps i need to set up some thing where the drivers don't load themselves except in passthrough or something. Advice?
>>
>>56438185
Select it in your display manager
>>
I installed Linux on a partition, and in another there is Windows 7 32 bit.

When I boot and enter the BIOS for chosing which SATA drive to start, it only shows the Linux partition meaning I cannot access the partition where Windows is installed. I can still view all the files once I'm into Linux.
I installed GRUB on the Linux partition and that didn't help.

So, how do I run Windows OS? Sorry if I explained myself incorrectly, I'm still a Linux noob.
>>
>>56433873
GNU/Linux beginner here.

Gonna give OpenSuse a swing
>>
>>56438699
Linux Mint should be fine for normies
>>
>>56439133
Tell us how it goes lad.

t. Fedora user
>>
>>56439069
is there no windows-option in grub when booting?

If not, check out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Generate_the_main_configuration_file
>>
>>56438699
>isn't linux mint compromised?
Not anymore.
It was compromised by jews hackers, because of the anti-semitic attitude of the dev.
>>
>>56438800
>web-based cli

that would be easier than copy-pasting your config file?
>>
>>56439279
It would be easier than setting up ssh and my sshkey (and cygwin if on windows), on every new computer I have to use.
>>
>>56438969
You aren't in the sudoers file. type visudo as root and add your name. Search for how to do it first.
>>
Why does xubuntu get messed up desktop text when you change the theme?
>>
How much RAM is recommended for Gnome?
>>
>>56439379
I think it's a GTK3 thing that requires a restart, but I'm just shooting blind I have no idea what you mean "messed up desktop text."
>>
File: 1473003920399.jpg (180KB, 806x719px) Image search: [Google]
1473003920399.jpg
180KB, 806x719px
How do I jump to the top of the page in Chromium? Is there a keyboard shortcut?

WHen I used Mac, I learned how to do it and it's comfy af. Now I need a way in Linux....
>>
>>56439453
I assume he is referring to the shadows under the names for the desktop icons
>>
File: 1471836465554.jpg (3MB, 3500x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1471836465554.jpg
3MB, 3500x2300px
>>56438977
>So here's what I'm wondering - what do I need to do so that the nvidia card doesn't start until I use GPU passthrough?
You have read guides on how to use PCI passthroughs and vfio, correct? Because you are supposed to blacklist the one you don't use which will simply be sleeping until you start your VM, in which it will be used.

I assume you probably are on a Debian-based distro, so read this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multiheaded-NVIDIA-Gaming-using-Ubuntu-14-04-KVM-585/#Step2BlacklisttheNVIDIAcards

As for the connection part: Yes, since the AMD is going to run the Linux part and the 770 is reserved for the VM you connect both the primary and the secondary monitors to the AMD card. The 770 will be connected to the primary monitor as well. When you want to switch to the VM, you use the input button on your primary monitor to switch between the guest and the host while the secondary monitor is always showing the host.
>>
I'm running HTTP server module from python, what are some things that I can selfhost and support it without installing PHP/MySQL or other stuff?
>>
File: 1473043414679.jpg (29KB, 412x413px) Image search: [Google]
1473043414679.jpg
29KB, 412x413px
>>56439489
they Home key
>>
>>56438214
I'm using dd to make a live bootable USB for lubuntu because burning a CD never fucking works for me on linux. I didn't set a specific block size so it'll use the default 512, is all that's going to happen is that it'll be slower than if I picked a block size, yes?
>>
File: maga 1472066154156.jpg (41KB, 620x415px) Image search: [Google]
maga 1472066154156.jpg
41KB, 620x415px
>>56439532
TY! Works!
>>
Can you improve on these fonts? Any advice on which ones render crisp & clean? Which ones do you guys use?
>>
>>56438098
use rsync to make a backup as multiple files (allows for quick updates, you can run rsync again and it will copy only changed files)
tar or squashfs for a single file backup
>>
Portage is nagging me about "config file /etc/portage/package.use needs updating". It DOES NOT NEED UPDATING. I don't want portage to touch it or warn about it. How do I disable this warning? It's annoying me.
>>
>>56439550
yes

it might also cause write amplification when writing to flash media if the block size is less than the internal flash block size
>>
>>56439697
you probably pressed y when asked to automatically add use flags to package.use
you need to
# dispatch-conf
and zap new
>>
>>56433879
sudo apt install sl && sl
>>
File: 1304782529630.jpg (7KB, 170x213px) Image search: [Google]
1304782529630.jpg
7KB, 170x213px
>Install Arch with Gnome in a VM
>Want to have a dock in the bottom
>Have to go online to download an extension that puts the dock on the botton
>Auto hiding and auto expanding it doesn't work
>Also want system management monitor in the status bar
>Have to find that online too
>"Only manual install works for gnome-shell 3.20.3."
>Install Xfce instead
>Auto hiding the dock and system monitoring in the status bar Just Werks™ out of the box

Why is Xfce so based?
>>
>>56439741
Thanks!
>>
I think i'm just going to use Elementary OS, yay or nay?
>>
>>56439757
xfce is trash
>>
>install infinality
>looks worse than regular font rendering
the fuck?
>>
Been trying to install Debian on my ThinkPad T410 but the installer tells me that It couldn't find the Wi-Fi drivers on the disc. Tried doing an install with a nonfree ver. disc image and it's giving me the same result.

Anything else I can try to make it work?
>>
How do I make KDE look less like shit
>>
>>56439591
I really like roboto
>>
Every desktop environment besides GNOME is ugly and unpolished, and GNOME is annoying because it changes too often and doesn't follow standard conventions. I cannot ever feel comfortable in GNU/Linux because I can't settle on a DE.

I'm not asking which DE is the best, but which one do you Anons use and why? I think I might be a WM person
>>
im trying to do this https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/11447/roll-openvpn-server-vps-using-centos-6/
but a link is dead.
can anybody help me find a new link for
wget http://swupdate.openvpn.org/as/openvpn-as-1.8.5-CentOS6.x86_64.rpm (CentOS 6 64-bit)
>>
>>56440386
Been using MATE ever since I started using linux (ubuntu MATE). I'm now on arch and it just feels comfy
>>
>>56440386
Openbox
>>
>>56437473
I fixed it by just putting USE="abi_x86_32 abi_x64_32"
>>
>>56440633
Openbox is a windows manager, not a DE. It's pretty great, it comes with LXDE which itself is a very lightweight DE.
>>
>>56439757
>Why is Xfce so based?
Xfce is fucking garbage and looks like dogshit. Its only redeeming quality is that it's light & fast.

If you want the best, stick with Cinnamon. I tried all WMs and they all pale in comparison.
>>
>>56440386
I use GNOME because, like you said, it's aesthetically pleasing and polished
Also, no other DEs has the same GNOME workflow
I especially like the activities overview and the dynamic virtual desktop management
I really like how you can extend the DE's capabilities with shell extensions too
>>
did chromium get WAY more bloated in the last few updates?

like, i'm hemorrhaging memory with like 7 tabs open now. what the fuck.
>>
>>56440414
alright i got it working. thanks faggots anyway.
>>
>>56440111
I continued to install infinality ultimate and now it looks okay. Still not any better than default with lcdfilter enabled, though. But it was easy with eselect infinality set ultimate-free.
>>
>>56440805
>suggesting Cinnamon out of anything else
>one of the widest used DE's for being light and easy to look good
>but no use cinnamon
m8...

Anyways, I prefer MATE now. I think development on it has come a really long ways, and the GTK3 build is improving it tenfold. Combined with mate-menu, i think it beats xfce in pretty much every way now. I can't think of any reason I'd want to use Xfce anymore.
>>
>>56441050
Show me a picture of your mate. I have always thought mate was ugly. It looked okay back in the mid 2000s when it was called gnome 2, but DEs have come a long way since then, and most look way better.
>>
>>56440961
are you on testing keyword (~amd64) ?
>>
>>56441116
Funtoo current.
>>
>>56441135
huh
don't know about funtoo but latest freetype (2.6.5) doesn't have infinality
>>
>>56440386
>I cannot ever feel comfortable in GNU/Linux because I can't settle on a DE.
4 months ago after my rMBP got stolen, I had to settle on a cheap Linux box (I got a used Intel i3 PC for $150). I tried every DE known to man and they're all more or less shit when compared to Aqua. Yes, many of them look OK but they don't behave OK. Like SJ used to say, "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." But I digress...

On a whim, I tried Cinnamon and I ended up liking it a lot. It's kinda 80% finished and many things don't work as well but I managed to get a lot of things working well to my liking. Nemo, the file manager, is OK but isn't even close to Finder. I even managed to hack in a bunch of Mac shortcuts.

I tried Windows10 and while I like the UI and relative polish of it, I hated File Explorer and I absolutely hated Command Prompt and lack of UNIX. (Yes, I know about Ubuntu for Win10 but it has no networking and it's generally shit). Setting up reliable VPN, caching DNS and DNS cryptographic tunnel that behaved reliable proved impossible to me. I did setup everything under Linux that I had under MacOSX... and I re-used many of the conf files.

So I don't even boot into Win10 anymore.

Incidentally, I tried a whole bunch of Mac OS X skins but hated almost all of them because they made my DE look like a Mac but it just doesn't behave like a Mac. I settled on a Win10 scheme instead because it looks OK and I don't have preconceived notions of what Win10 should behave like.

I'm yet to try ElementaryOS and Deepin but I have a feeling I won't like them that much.
>>
>>56441152
On funtoo 2.6.5 compiles with infinality use flag.
>>
>>56441158
elementary OS has to be tweaked to make some things easier to use, a program called elementary tweaks, and some dconf settings. If you want desktop icons you have to install a different file manager.
>>
>>Stupid question that doesn't deserve its own thread.

I am trying to install debian. Yet, for somereason it says it cannot locate my CDROM, so it cannot install the OS from the disc.

Has anybody had any experience with this?
>>
>>56441158
Thanks for the input, it sounds like you and I have very similar taste with regards to UI design. If it weren't for the price and proprietary nature of everything Apple, I would probably use a Mac.

I tried Elementary OS a few months ago and it's very much an OS X wannabe that isn't anywhere near as good as the original. I haven't tried Deepin, but I've seen some interesting screenshots floating around lately.
>>
>>56441194
Are you using the debian testing installer? It's not meant for end user use.
>>
>>56441186
yeah, same for gentoo
but the infinality patch is not being applied in the ebuild

You can use the /etc/portage/patches feature to apply it
just get it here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/archfan/infinality_bundle/master/01_freetype2-iu/0002-infinality-2.6.5-2016.08.18.patch
and drop into /etc/portage/patches/media-libs/freetype/ and reemerge freetype
>>
>>56441281
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>56441257
Its the 'Jessie' net installer. I extracted the ISO, and burned the files to a disc.

I have been having a weird issue. I cannot boot up from the DVD, but I can initiate the installer from windows. So, I must have set up the boot CD incorrectly (I am not sure what i did wrong). Honestly, I am at a loss because I have never had an issue with installing an OS.
>>
>>56441189
>elementary OS has to be tweaked to make some things easier to use, a program called elementary tweaks, and some dconf settings. If you want desktop icons you have to install a different file manager.
Thanks!

I also noticed that new version of Elementary is due in few days time: https://elementary.io/

I'll give it a try then.

>>56441235
>Thanks for the input, it sounds like you and I have very similar taste with regards to UI design. If it weren't for the price and proprietary nature of everything Apple, I would probably use a Mac.
I came to Mac from Windows Vista after I got sick on that crap. I then learned bash, vim, emacs, awk, sed, POSIX command line etc etc and can never go back to just using Win toolsets.

Apple makes the best DE and everything works right. There's really no complaints from my end on how it works.

But yeah, their shit is expensive and Aqua is closed source. I don't really care about the closed source of Aqua given how well it works. Having to fuck around with Gnome config and wasting hours trying to get even "simple" shit working right made me appreciate Aqua even more. I miss Safari (saving webpages as a single file that can be indexed), Spotlight, and Finder the most. Oh, and gestures as well. Not to mention automatic spelling correction. Linux has nothing for that and it's my #1 pet-peeve. I could type on OSX so damn fast.

But hey, Linux is OK. I've managed to get all my zsh scripts working out of the box and I managed to get my DNS settings working perfectly and a whole bunch of other "plumbing" stuff.

>I tried Elementary OS a few months ago and it's very much an OS X wannabe that isn't anywhere near as good as the original. I haven't tried Deepin, but I've seen some interesting screenshots floating around lately.
Yeah, if you know how OSX works and behaves and then you try one of the knockoffs, all these things that it doesn't do right tend to infuriate you even more. It's like uncanny valley of the DEs.
>>
>>56441379
I only have experience with installing from USB, so I can't help you. Maybe try reburning the disc? Possibly redownloading the installer, too.
>>
>>56441158
I understand your concern. Maybe you should try to hackintosh your box or try a good gnome 3 distribution like Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome. It may differ a bit from aqua but it's still close on some crucial points and with extensions you can have a really polished experience. When I get bored with OSX I generally use Gnome 3 for some times and then switch once again.
>>
would people bitch if the US government put funding into a distro and DE to make them the be all end all distro and DE for normal everyday people?
>>
So hackers, how do I get thumbnails in the filepicker on my GTK? Shit's annoying as fuck, but I don't want to go full DE just for a filepicker.
>>
>>56441471
>I understand your concern. Maybe you should try to hackintosh your box or try a good gnome 3 distribution like Fedora or Ubuntu Gnome. It may differ a bit from aqua but it's still close on some crucial points and with extensions you can have a really polished experience. When I get bored with OSX I generally use Gnome 3 for some times and then switch once again.
I don't think my mobo, Asus P8H<something>, would work well with a hackintosh. And from what I read, it's a pain in the ass to get it working well. So I chose Linux because I knew it would work reliably.

Some of my other peeves are screen suspend under Linux. I have to disconnect power to my wireless mouse to put monitor to sleep reliably. (I hate pressing the power button on my monitor).

Until I can afford new rMBP, this Linux box will be good enough.
>>
>there are still people, in current year, who are using desktop icons
>>
>>56441622
install gentoo
>>
>>56441657
>there are still people, in current year, who aren't using desktop icons
>>
>>56441657
what's wrong with them exactly? do you have OCD or somethign?
>>
>>56441407
I just set up my USB for it, and I am about to see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>56442118
CLUTTER
C
L
U
T
T
E
R
>>
>>56442118
Why aren't you using a file manager or even better: cp, mv, rm?
>>
How to defrag under Linux?
>>
so I'm installing keepassx for lubuntu 16.04.1 and here are the packages it will install, keepassx plus dependencies.

keepassx libmng2 libmysqlclient20 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-network libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-sql-mysql libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 mysql-common qdbus qt-at-spi qtchooser qtcore4-l10n

Most of these are qt related because it's how the GUI is made, but why does it need dependencies like mysql-common and qdbus?
>>
File: AUTISM-VENN-DIAGRAM-PNG.png (21KB, 700x524px) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM-VENN-DIAGRAM-PNG.png
21KB, 700x524px
>>56442345
>Why aren't you using a file manager or even better: cp, mv, rm?
I fail to see how these two are even related. Quickly dragging an image out of a browser onto the desktop or having few symlinks to folders with documents you're working is all about convenience. I don't see how file manager or command line file manipulation tools fit into this.

>>56442269
>C
>C
also, pic related, friend.
>>
>>56442384
you don't need to really
>>
Is mint considered nooby?
>>
>>56442595
no, it just werks.
>>
>>56442595
Yes but if you honestly care about that your priorities are fucked.
>>
>>56442595
in a way, but that's not why people dislike it. the security is a mess, it's an unstable pile and the devs are incompetent
>>
>>56442623
This

>>56442595
Honestly, just use ubuntu if you want something like mint, but not shit. Mint is just ubuntu made so that even the dumbest /v/igger tier winkid can figure it out.
>>
>>56442662
And then the winkids come here and shill it to other beginners and the cycle continues.
>>
How do you upgrade Git on Debian?
I need to upgrade some software that depends on newer version in order to create a backup within the software to migrate it to another server.

I tried building from source, it fails the test cases and some other crap and does not work. I tried installing a newer .deb package from somewhere, it says it replaced it with a newer version but git --version still shows the old one. What are my options here? I cannot risk dist-upgrading to unstable/testing because it runs live stuff.
>>
>>56442616
It doesn't work, lol. It's actually broken and insecure.
>>56442595
At least its better than Windows.
>>
What's the best OS ever made?
>>
>>56442943
Linux
>>
>>56442943
GENTOO and it's cuter younger sister(male) Funtoo. Not memeing.
>>
>>56442943
Amiga Workbench 1.3
>>
>>56442967
I would use gentoo if it didn't take a long time to compile everything.
>>
>>56442962
That's just a kernel.
>>
>>56442943
The one I'm using.
>>
>>56442983
It's not that bad after the first day (requires all day to install). You can keep using your PC while it's compiling updates afterwards so it's not a big deal. It also makes you look like a hacker to have a terminal open with scrolling 1337 text.
>>
File: 2016-09-05-231603_796x875_scrot.png (75KB, 796x875px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05-231603_796x875_scrot.png
75KB, 796x875px
>>56442983
>I would use gentoo if it didn't take a long time to compile everything.
tell me about it
i installed gentoo yesterday(6 hours) and am currently updgrading to testing (pic related). The upgrade has been running for 5 hours now
>>
>>56443046
>It also makes you look like a hacker to have a terminal open with scrolling 1337 text
Does this attract female humans?
>>
File: 1453771701133.png (7KB, 640x773px) Image search: [Google]
1453771701133.png
7KB, 640x773px
>>56443061
>>
>>56443061
Yeah, nothing get a girl wet like fast moving terminals.
>>
>>56443061
from personal experience i can assure you that exactly the oppositis the case
>>
File: 1455294091479.jpg (876KB, 1066x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1455294091479.jpg
876KB, 1066x1500px
>>56443061
Here's how women work: They are attracted to strong (hard-on like) alpha males, an alpha male isn't a depressed guy; he feels good and is proud of himself, a feeling you get when you have a terminal open with scrolling 1337 text.
>>
Running mint. When i boot up, I don't get a DM, it just boots straight into my desktop. How do i fix this?

/etc/X11/default-display-manager shows that it is /usr/sbin/mdm, so everything is there. Not sure what else is causing this.
>>
>>56443163
>mint
found your problem lol
>>
Anyone use openSUSE? How is it for home desktop usage? I want to be a special snowflake while still using something that's backed by business.
>>
>>56443163
>mdm
They still haven't renamed it?

>apt-cache show mdm
>mdm - Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting
>>
>>56443189
s/show/search/
>>
>>56443163
Perhaps autologin is enabled somehow. If so, you can pretty easily disable it by editing a config file: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-mint-autologin.html
>>
>>56434466
>>56436153
Run this command in your terminal:

xfconf-query -c xfce4-desktop -p /desktop-icons/center-text -n -t bool -s false
>>
Sharing this because it's just so comfy. Just some bash goodies that weren't enabled by default.

bind '"\e\e[A":upcase-word'
bind '"\e\e[B":downcase-word'
bind '"\e\e[C":capitalize-word'
bind '"\e\e[D":transpose-words'

Type something, hit ALT+Arrow Key to run the functions.

Digging man bash is really worth it.
>>
File: Screenshot_3.jpg (69KB, 660x542px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.jpg
69KB, 660x542px
Cinnamon vs MATE vs Xfce
>>
>>56443317
Cinnamon and Xfce are both about equally as good.
MATE is what the fuck are you doing tier and has no reason to exist.
>>
>>56443304
could need some additional alt+b binding to jump back one word so you dont need to do it manually
>>
This page describes running Debian Stable, but having access to testing/unstable repos. Kinda like backports, but completely untested. Obviously I would install unstable packages sparingly.
http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Can anyone comment on this? Any big downsides or blatant issues? Like for example, could the stable packages have issues if their dependencies got updates?
>>
>>56443304
>not using zsh
>>
>>56443340
I think I will go with Xfce
>>
>>56443317
isn't linux mint unsecure?
>>
>>56443340
MATE can be made to look nice, it's just ugly out of the box.

>>56443304
Another one that I hate not having is:
# Readline completes if it matches with the current prefix
bind '"\e[A"':history-search-backward 2> /dev/null
bind '"\e[B"':history-search-forward 2> /dev/null
>>
>>56443374
If you don't have a very good reason to be using a package from unstable you're probably going to run in to problems.

There are a few packages which have special care taken with them to maintain compat with stable even in unstable/experimental repos (like the nvidia drivers), but for the most part you should probably expect something to go wrong down the line.
>>
>>56443460
>
2> /dev/null

why this?
>>
>>56433873
How do I keep a software running as a daemon? I am thinking to run it under screen. But I want my init (systemd) to take care of it.

I would use qbittorrent-nox. However, qbittorrent web UI doesn't show user statistics, so I use qbittorrent and forward it's X to my machine sometimes.

Also can anyone post an infographic for automounting external hard drives?
>>
>>56443490
You know, I'm not entirely sure why and it appears to work fine without it. I must've blindly copied and pasted it based on the description alone. Maybe there's some weird edge-case where an error is produced?
>>
>>56443183
running this on a VM, so i'm safe from the memes

>>56443189
Says it's a display manager for me

>>56443214
That was it. Thanks anon
>>
>>56443532
Have another one:
bind '"\eh":dynamic-complete-history'
Binds alt+h to history based completition.
touch foobar
cd somewhereelse
touch foo[alt+u]
>>
>>56443249
thanks!
>>
>>56443593
*alt+h
>>
File: 1458174377328.jpg (87KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1458174377328.jpg
87KB, 1600x1067px
what advantage is there to having a separate /home partition?
>>
>>56443577
>Says it's a display manager for me
Thats the problem. Package name highjacking.
>>
>>56443643
None, except you like distro hopping.
>>
>>56443525
>infographic
Just put it in your fstab retard.
>>
>>56443646
Does that happen often? Presume it's a first come first served sort of thing when it comes to names?
>>
NEW NEW NEW >>56443684
>>
>>56443643
I literally only do it so I can use df to see how large /home is.
>>
>>56443643
see from a recentish thread
>>56390809
>>56390877
>>
>>56443707
>being incapable of just doing
du -sh /home

Typical tripfag.
>>
In infinality ultimate, what's the difference between ultimate-combi, ultimate-free and ultimate-ms?
>>
>>56443707
Can't fix stupid.
>>
Steam will not start in Antergos. I thought it was a driver issue, but the problem persists after following https://antergos.com/wiki/hardware/graphics/bumblebee-for-nvidia-optimus/
I am using a GeForce 940m

When starting from terminal, it outputs:

/home/nnautilus/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
/home/nnautilus/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 161: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
Running Steam on antergos 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: i965_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: i965
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can fix it?
>>
>>56443748
You installed the 32bit libs for your driver too, and not just the 64bit libs, right?
>>
>>56443748
>>56443765
This is a universal problem for most distros. You have to remove some libraries in the steam folder. Check a search engine for the details.
>>
>>56443787
>>56443748

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam/Troubleshooting#Native_runtime
>>
idk if I should post this here or in stupid questions.
If game is supports Vulkan API it means u can play it on Linux?
even on Manjaro?
>>
File: thinkrouter.png (127KB, 497x349px) Image search: [Google]
thinkrouter.png
127KB, 497x349px
>>56433873
Tamago-san
>>
>>56437856
update
>>56438033
>jump into the fire why don't you
>>
What PDF reader do you guys use? After trying a bunch, I installed Foxit because it's the only one that opened most of the files correctly. Yeah, it's closed source but OSS PDF readers are almost all shit :(
>>
>>56444894
Atril Document Viewer
>>
>>56441092
Thread will be dead probably when I get home, but I'll post it in whatever thread I get to so just look for it.

I don't claim to be some rice God mind you, but I think arc theme plus paper icons is perfectly good enough, considering I was using default windows 7 for who knows how long.
>>
>>56445001
thanks. will give it a spin.
>>
>>56445001
just installed it. it's great! thanks anon!
>>
>You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
>libXtst.so.6
>libpulse.so.0

How do I get these?
>>
>>56436889
That's not lightweight, especially not as lightweight as what he gave as examples.
>>
>>56445730
packagemanager install libs:i386 or lib32-libs

something like that
>>
>>56445895
nothing was found. I'm using Antergos btw.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.