[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 22

File: 1450056805584.png (5KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1450056805584.png
5KB, 300x300px
Previously on: >>56375894

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Why do people use Fedora over something.. Say Ubuntu?

I'm not sure if I understand the reasoning for using certain Distros.
>>
>>56387523
Repo software availability, package manager, release cycle etc
>>
Without nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=10 it takes a long time for my media to boot up and mount the usb hard drive.
However, mpd fails to autostart if the fstab for the drive contains those parameters.

How do I fix this? Can I make mpd depend on the drive mounted?
>>
Why does Ubuntu Mate take so long to draw screen elements at boot. I'm booting off a ssd and have a pretty beefy cpu?
>>
Can I replace OSX with Ubuntu on my macbook? is this a good choice. With limited linux knowledge here
>>
Gnome
KDE
XFCE

Don't know witch one i want on my debian :(
>>
>>56387647
Nevermind, found out using RequiresMountsFor in the service file
>>
Is there a good reason to use zsh over bash?
>>
>>56387692
Meant for
>>56387570
>>
>>56387647
Not gnome, I can tell you that much. I personally use XFCE and it's just fine
>>
I installed KDE, not great.
Want to try another one.
XFCE seems ok, I will install it to try
>>
>>56387523
>>56387625
Fuck off namefags.
>>
>>56387643
>Can I replace OSX with Ubuntu on my macbook?
probably
> is this a good choice
yes because you'll get better performances in a lot of things
no because you'll have a shittier battery life
no because some stuff might not work

>>56387647
xfce is the best of those 3 DE. There's also cinnamon

>>56387696
some features that aren't in bash. But just stay with bash.
>>
I got Dual boot with rEFInd on my Mac Pro mid-2012. One is OSX and the second Kali-Linux.
It's working great, Kali use more Battery and make my mac hotter.

I have 2 HD, one ssd 120 and one 1To replacing CD-drive. OSX is on SSD and Kali on 20%HD
>>
>>56387811
downloading it now, what things wont work? all I need is music, League and a Ps equivalent . Just want to familiarise myself with Linux
>>
>Installed Debian and Openbox because muh performance
>Like it but i'm too stupid to configure tint2
Is lighter to just install LXDE than getting Debian LXDE version?
>>
>>56387975
I run arch on my 2013 rmbp and have only ever had issues with alsamixer. Even that I figured out after only an hour or two
>>
>>56387996
Then don't use tint2? Dmenu is decent.
>>
>>56387996
very good
>>
>>56388009
Tell us your story
>>
>>56387996
tint2 has a gui configuration tool, no excuse
>>
I'm going to install Debian for the first time. I'm a windows user, just used Ubuntu a lil bit.

Any good advice? I'll use it for everyday things and to play some cs too.

>Inb4 install gentoo
>>
File: 1458820260428.png (52KB, 1680x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1458820260428.png
52KB, 1680x1496px
>$ ls
>build

>$ ls build
pip-delete-this-directory.txt
>>
>>56388569
use testing (stable is good workstations and servers, but for typical desktop use, it's worth trading off potential hiccoughs for speed and newer hardware/software support)
consider the iso with non-free firmwares available, since you're clearly not going for a fully-free system anyway
don't forget to enable multilib repo(s), these will be needed for Steam/Wine/etc
>>
File: 1471482089547.jpg (42KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1471482089547.jpg
42KB, 640x640px
>>56388607
>ls ~/.config/
Trolltech.conf
>>
>>56387696
zsh is fine, people say it's better than bash, but actually most stuff zsh provides is available for bash also, it just isn't enabled by default.

some things to boost your bash:
shopt -s autocd # cd without typing cd
shopt -s cdable_vars # does what it says
shopt -s cdspell # autocorrect typos when cding
shopt -s extglob # better globbing
shopt -s globstar # recursive globbing (** style)
bind '"\e[5~":history-search-backward' # PGUP/DOWN -
bind '"\e[6~":history-search-forward' - zsh style history search for word under the cursor
bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' # shift-tab to cycle through autocompletitions
there's more, rtfm

that said, zsh's autocomplete is better than bash's, worth a try, just stay away from crap like "oh my zsh", which is basically just a collection of useless aliases from/by macfags.
>>
>>56388813
>bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' # shift-tab to cycle through autocompletitions
Is it not possible to somehow set that to tab and have it list possibilities as well?
>>
>>56388915
yep, you could also add
bind 'set show-all-if-ambiguous on'
which shows possible stuff instandly (instead of hitting tab twice)
>>
>>56387761
Try Apt install xubuntu-desktop
>>
>>56388941
Cool thanks, I'll try to get that working as I like, it's the only thing I don't like about bash and I'm surprised to learn that it is actually possible.
>>
>>56388569
Learn what folder in root stores what
>>
Hey senpaitachi, I'm trying to get one of those powerline fonts to work, but they don't display all symbols correctly.
echo "\ue0b0 \u00b1 \ue0a0 \u27a6 \u2718 \u26a1 \u2699"

runs only the first 3 symbols properly, the other ones are boxes.
I'm on arch, tried powerline-fonts-git and seperate fonts, none of them work properly.
I'm using the following config:
Rxvt*font: xft:Roboto Mono for Powerline:size=10                                                                                                                                                                            
Rxvt*autohint: 0
Rxvt*hintstyle: hintslight
Rxvt*lcdfilter: lcddefault
Rxvt*rgba: rgb
Rxvt*antialias: 1
Rxvt*letterSpace: -1

Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>56389082
>echo
echo is for gays; use printf

That said, use the -e flag.
echo -e "\ue0b0 \u00b1 \ue0a0 \u27a6 \u2718 \u26a1 \u2699"

If the font is isntalled correctly, it should show the glyths.
>>
>>56389117
I love my grammar.
>>
>>56389129
The grammar technically is fine, just proofread for typos.
Seems it isn't installed correctly then, because nothng changed.
>>
>>56389082
>Rxvt
What's your terminal. URxvt? If so, use:
URxvt.font: xft:Roboto Mono for Powerline:size=10
>>
>>56389082
>>56389153
one thing most people forget: after changing the xressources file, you need to update x with the new settings via xrdb:
xrdb ~/.Xressources

maybe that's the error
>>
I have a weird problem

My audio interface will turn off and on all the time. It will turn on when sound needs to happen, but will quickly turn off when there's no sound for a certain period of time. The system seems to recognize what it is, the model number is correctly displayed. It's just really annoying because the speakers will pop.

Every other distro and OS I've used just had it always on.

I'm using Ubuntu mate btw
>>
>>56389149
You can verify if it is installed correctly.
fc-list | grep owerline
>>
>>56389153
>>56389174
Yeah senpai, I do that.
Dunno why I use Rxvt instead of URxvt, haven't been into my config.
Changed it, obviously had no effect.
>>56389210
I just checked the fontset, and it seems those chars are plain missing, although they say I have to download a powerline set.
Gonna check a .ttf straight from the source git
>>
>>56389227
Try replacing the * with a . in your config. Just an idea.
>>
>tfw /fglt/ is good again
>>
File: 1461972647642.gif (2MB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
1461972647642.gif
2MB, 400x320px
10010010110111001110011011101000110000101101100011011000010000001000111011001010110111001110100011011110110111100101110
>>
>>56389242
I certainly appreciate all ideas, however it does not work. The font itself works, the chars change, but it seems those chars are missing from the font or something. I'm not really sure what's up with it
>>
Why is using linux so comfy?
>>
Plugging in my Fiio x3 as a dac to Ubuntu 16 crashes it, any ideas what to do?
>>
File: 1468965357958.png (949KB, 1430x771px) Image search: [Google]
1468965357958.png
949KB, 1430x771px
linux newfag here
I'm thinking of dualbooting my pc with linux after trying it on an old, almost dead computer of mine, I'm keeping my windows partition just for games.
Xfce is my favourite DE so far and I am unsure which distro to go, I like Xubuntu but I heard fedora is apparently good if not better.
I want something that just werks out of the box, none of that leet hacker wannabe bullshit like arch or gentoo.
>>
Why shouldn't I use Bodhi Linux as my first distro that I'm not running from a live USB?
>>
Anyone know anything about this libapt-pkg5.0 dependency issue when upgrading to Debian Unstable? Here's the full error from dist-upgrade:

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
libapt -pkg5.0 : Recommends: apt (>= 1.3~rc3) but 1.0.9.8.3 is installed
Breaks: apt (< 1.1~exp14) but 1.0.9.8.3 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

And when I try to -f install it, I get this error:
Unpacking apt (1.3~rc3) over (1.0.9.8.3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_1.3~rc3_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/apt/solvers/dump', which is also in package apt-utils 1.0.9.8.3
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Reinstalling /etc/cron.daily/apt that was moved away
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cahce/apt/archives/apt_1.3~rc3_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>>
>>56388941
Sorry, I'm a bit confused here and can't get this to work how I was expecting.
At the moment if I type 'cd' and then tab I can see all the available options and I can press shift-tab to cycle through the options but I would both actions to be set to tab and performed at the same time, so pressing tab lists and cycles through the options. This is how I have it set in zsh.
I was thinking I could just set bind '"\e[Z":menu-complete' to tab instead of shift tab but for the life of me I can't find what the code is for the tab key.
>>
>>56389287
Can't seem to get anything to work, changing to xterm doesn't help.
>>
>>56389671
This is what I use.

bind "TAB: menu-complete"
bind "\"\e[Z\": menu-complete-backward"
bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on"
bind "set menu-complete-display-prefix on"
>>
>>56389710
>bind "TAB: menu-complete"
haha jeez, it's literally just TAB!
Excellent, thanks anon, this works perfectly.
>>
fglt looks and sounds somewhat similar like lgbt
>>
File: 1345135814340.jpg (392KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1345135814340.jpg
392KB, 800x800px
First Linux distro: Ubuntu, Mint, Elementary, or something else? I want to dual boot on my T420 and start moving away from Windows.

i7 quad core
8gb ram
240gb SSD main drive
HD3000

I use my laptop for shitposting, anime, and web dev, basically only using Chrome, Sublime, and XAMPP for almost everything.

I've read Elementary is the most aesthetically pleasing, Mint is simple but may have security issues(?), and Ubuntu is the old standby.

What do
>>
So is it possible to convert zsh history file to bash_history? It looks like the format is different.
>>
>>56388293
Not much to be said, just driver incompatibility. Had to search for alternatives on the web, it was my first time in Arch so I was very disfunctional and didn't know what I was doing, so it was quite the tough task for me. Got it worked out tho, but I actually no longer use Arch. Switched to Debian
>>
>>56389776
I suggest Debian or Ubuntu for any new user. You will actually learn how Linux works, without being too over your head. In my opinion, Arch-based distros are very good, but not a great /into/ Linux. Mint has some pretty bad bloat nowadays, I'd steer clear of that. I personally use Debian because it is very user friendly, (semi) lightweight, and it still teaches you alot of the Linux basics.
>>
>>56389776
download the live iso and fuck around with all of them to see which one you like
>>
>>56389803
zsh has time-stamps and what else?

bash can also have history time-stamps, add this to your .bashrc:
export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%s:"
>>
Newbie Linux user, just installed Ubuntu yesterday onto a USB drive so I can have a persistent copy.

When I tried Ubuntu when booting to USB, it was fast, responsive -no problems.
However, when I installed to the USB using ext4, the system is quite slow, laggy and unresponsive like a PC that's 8 years old. What's going on?
>>
I'm about to get an mSATA SSD for my T420, so I'll have an SSD and an HDD. Is it better to have the SSD as a boot drive and the HDD as storage, or should I use LVM or bcache or something to have the SSD be a cache? What's better/faster?
>>
>>56389980
In the first case you weren't using the USB as the disk, you were using the system RAM. USBs are extremely slow, that's why what you did isn't recommended. It's actually better to keep using the live boot feature but make a partition in the USB so you can save files between sessions.
>>
>>56390009
Caches are a meme. Go for the SSD as a boot drive (If it's 128GB+) and use the HDD as storage. If the SSD is any smaller, don't bother with using it as a boot drive as it's unpractical.

Po-tip: Don't clone your OS to the SSD, install it from scratch; it severely hinders the drive's performance.
>>
>>56390196
Thanks. Yeah, it's 128GB.
>>
>>56390170
So now the USB is using its own memory as RAM? God damn, that's painful.

I tried to save my data in between live boot, but it didn't work. How do I do this? I previously had the USB as a Ubuntu ISO disk, should I re-flash it?
>>
What's the difference between dd if=lel of=kek, cp lel kek and cat lel > kek?
They all do basically the same thing, right?
>>
>>56389640
I got around the issue by holding apt and apt-utils. I guess like a week or two from now I'll unhold them in hopes that the problem is fixed.

Hooray for solving my own problems!
>>
>>56390235
dd is for destroying disks
cp is for copying files
cat is for concatenating files
>>
>>56390223
No it's using it's own memory as the system disk. Basically when you boot from a live cd (or usb) you don't actually use the cd (or usb) as the system disk you use the RAM. Learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs

Check this out: https://unetbootin.github.io/ It helps you create a live usb but with a separate partition to preserve files across sessions.
>>
How am I supposed to "install" stuff on linux?
I've downloaded some softwares, but it is just a .tar.gz file with lots of other files inside. There isn't something like an executable. I Tried using "make" in the command prompt but it didn't work.
>>
>>56390235
dd and cat both create new files, while cp preserves file informations, so the only tool that actually creates a copy is cp.

dd should have been named cc (convert and copy), but the name was already taken so it became dd. as said, dd converts and copies files, useful for writing blocks like disc images with different speeds

cat is a tool to concatenate files like:
cat file1 file2 > file3
file3 now includes file1 and file2
cat is often abused to copy files or to print them to stdout, a better tool is: more or even more more: less

tl;dr no

enjoy
>>
My second HDD doesn't show up in the file system

>sudo -s
>lsblk: sda1 has no mountpoint
>mkdir -p /mnt/home
>mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/home
>lsblk: sda1 has /home mountpoint
>reboot
>still doesn't show up, no mountpoint via lsblk either

how 2 fix?
>>
>>56390346
On GNU/Linux you don't need to hunt for .exe files on shady websites. We have package managers for that. Depending on your distro, you just open a terminal and write <package manager> <installations flag> <program> - done.

If you really want to compile a program, make sure to read the README or INSTALL file included into the tar.gz and follow the instructions.
>>
>>56390457
mounts aren't persistent, you would need to add it to fstab but manually mounting it should work, what fs is it?
>>
>>56390457
>just mounts
>reboot
>expects it to be there
what is /etc/fstab
>>
>>56390490
Don't be a nigger, he's just new.
>>
>>56390510
You say that like being black is a bad thing.
>>
>>56390533
s/nigger/faggot/
>>
What's the best path to mount a permanent storage HDD on?

i.e. /home/anon/storage/, or /mnt/storage/

This is for a single-user laptop
>>
>>56390548
You say that like being gay is a bad thing.
>>
File: 1442141646732.png (23KB, 372x400px) Image search: [Google]
1442141646732.png
23KB, 372x400px
>>56390569
I give up.
>>
>>56390568
/mnt/ (or /media/ if you're fancy)
Mounting shit on /home/ triggers me
>>
>>56390468
Thanks
>>
I have a question (wow).

Should I create a /home/ partition or one partition for everything?
>>
>>56390485
it's ext4

>>56390490
I know what /etc/fstab is, but I don't know how to use it
>>
Guys I have an intel i7 several years old and a 750ti gfx card. I can't find a Linux that runs well on my computer. Windows 10 is buttery smooth. So far Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora are all choppy and full of screen tearing no matter what drivers I use.

Is this just a feature of Linux systems or have some Linux distros just become too fat and bloated for old hardware?
>>
>>56390624
That's not old hardware. Seems like a drivers issue.
>>
>>56390624
Try: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA/Troubleshooting#Avoid_screen_tearing

I use Arch with a 750ti and stopped having troubles after that, but it should work for any distro, assuming you're using the proprietary drivers.
>>
>>56390681
Same but with a 760.
>>
>>56390608
Having a separate partition gives you much more flexibility, if you want to reinstall a distro or install a few side-by-side. One partition for everything is slightly easier to set up, but not by much.
>>
>>56390668
>>56390681
>>56390732

Thanks. If I can I will try Arch later and see what happens.
>>
>>56390608
There are pros and cons, but it's mostly personal preference. If you install a new distro on your machine, you can preserve the /home partition to keep all your personal settings and files intact. However, having partitions will separate your hard drive storage, which can be limiting. You probably want 30% of your drive going to / (for OS files and installed programs), and 70% going to /home (your files & settings). You can still preserve your personal settings by backing them up on an external drive/partition.
>>
>>56387570

>Can I make mpd depend on the drive mounted?
I think there was a recent update in systemd which enables mounts to behave like services. You can probably make it automount it on demand and use dependencies and all that fancy systemd stuff.
>>
i just want to shill for apricity for a second

this is the best distro ive ever used

im using the cinnamon version on my t430 and ive never experienced such a good time with linux RIGHT out of the box. every distro ive installed had issues and just felt sloppy, apricity is the first that everything works and i like how it looks.

https://apricityos.com/
>>
>>56390986
Looks pretty and sounds like it works better than shit Antergos and shit Manjaro with their buggy installers. Now you just have to hope that it stays stable over time.
>>
>>56390986

>arch with new theme #45315
>>
>>56391042
and?

if distros have things you want/going to install anyway, why not use them

im not a "power user" by any means and manjaro gave me nothing but issues (spent 3 days configuring power settings just to get it suspend on lid close, printing was hit or miss every single time, no sound over hdmi and no one knew why, etc) so when something just works i want to appreciate it
>>
>>56391145
I'm glad it works for you, but I am not trying to be a bully or elitist when I say you should try Arch itself. The initial process of installation is daunting, so wait until you have some time to do it right, but the ability to do so is invaluable.

If you just don't have the time that's fine, but I think anyone wanting a performant Linux desktop owes it to themselves, eventually, to install Arch at the least and, at some point, Gentoo.

Good luck and thanks for contributing. :)
>>
>>56391026
Manjaro isn't a installer.
>>
>>56391412
I know, but it has a shitty one.
>>
Looks like the Archkids woke up.

R.I.P thread.
>>
>>56390877
>>56390809
Thanks.
>>
Anyone here use Kali? Don't see too many of this distro mentioned
>>
>>56391438
Arch is obviously the best, you're just too stupid to install it.
>>56390986
If you want Arch, just install Arch. No need for some shitty random fork.
>>
>>56391504
If you're a pentester, Kali is a good choice, otherwise just install Debian.
>>
>>56391508
But I don't even want to install it?
Also what's so difficult about it?
>implying running 10 commands pasted from the wiki makes you a 1337 hacker
meh
>>
>>56390608
don't overwrite GRUB
>>
>>56391504
Just read this: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/should-i-use-kali-linux
>>
>>56391438
Found the Debianqueen.
>>
File: Selection_531.png (1MB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_531.png
1MB, 1919x1079px
>>56387488
Sup /g/

I'm running i3wm on Arch.

I have my windows set to display without title bars, as shown in pic related. By using:
for_window [class="^.*"] border pixel 0

in the config file.

What I'm looking for is a way to toggle this with a keyboard shortcut, so I can have titlebars on windows in the rare occasion that I put them in floating mode (that way I can move them around instead of them being stuck in the middle of the screen)
>>
>>56391635
i still have debian installed but systemD discouraged me
>>
>>56391560
>don't want to install it
Ok, so don't.
>what's difficult
It isn't.

Why get buttblasted because people are talking about Arch? It's a good distro.
>>
File: 1450204790582.gif (2MB, 280x296px) Image search: [Google]
1450204790582.gif
2MB, 280x296px
>>56391654
>solarized
>>
>>56391702
The scheme's actually not solarized, just a similar bg color.
>>
>>56391694
>It's a good distro.
well that's just your option man
>>
>>56391694
If it isn't difficult, why is the other anon acting like it requires some skill?
>>
>>56391731
Yeah.
>>
>>56389207

please help
>>
>>56391778
>asking for help in /fglt/

read the mood, man. Help doesn't usually come until later. Right now it's just autistic fags arguing about distros and personal preferences over color schemes and shit
>>
>>56391767
He said it's stupid not to install Arch instead of a fork. That's troll-ish, but not entirely unfounded. What's the problem?
>>
>>56389207
>I'm using Ubuntu mate btw
Install Debian
>>
inb4 debianwomen
inb4 archwomen
inb4 apt is shit
inb4 arch is bloated
inb4 debqueens
inb4 archbabbies
inb4 new thread
inb4 repeat
>>
>>56391845
apt is shit

how do you guys even live like this lol
>>
>>56391845
Whats wrong with Debian?
>>
>>56391878
systemd
>>
If you have problems google search it and you will probably end up reading the archwiki.

Gentoo is the best distro for advanced users. Beginners are stuck with a choice of sub-optimal distros most of which aren't going to perform as well as OSX or Windows.

/thread
>>
>>56391868
Unlike some people in this thread, we're able to read documentation and use apt the correct way.
>>
>>56391922
it's still a piece of butthole

it's way slower than pacman

I know there are things you can do to make it faster, but why aren't those things enabled from the start, instead of needlessly complicating things?
>>
>>56391585
Oh I'm not asking if I should install it or not, I'm perfectly happy with Ubuntu

I'm just wondering if there are any legitimate Kali users in this general
>>
>>56391654
you can move clients with Mod+Left-click and resize with Mod+Right-click
This is a default on most WMs
>>
Please no more arch vs debian...
>>
>>56391971
Ah, thanks. Never knew that. Now I won't ever need to display title bars.
>>
File: Devuan.png (23KB, 1037x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Devuan.png
23KB, 1037x1000px
Hey Devuan people.. I just wanted to apologize for this post I made a few threads back: >>56365056

The issue was actually unrelated to systemd (because the exact same thing happened when I went back to Debian) and it was solved by installing xserver-xorg-input-all. I am truly a retard and Devuan is really great.

It's probably just in my head, but it feels nicer knowing that my init process is now just a series of scripts that I can easily look into instead of a monolithic, controlling beast that slowly grows over time and gets its tendrils into non-init-related parts of my system.
>>
File: 1468537916046.png (146KB, 3542x4998px) Image search: [Google]
1468537916046.png
146KB, 3542x4998px
>>56392186
>stealing the logo from lo/g/os
>>
>>56392186
The only distro that provides a systemd-free environment without tons of hacking is Gentoo. Is your attachment to Debian really that great?
>>
>>56392227
>ACTUALLY installing gentoo
>>
>>56392227
Or Manjaro.
>>
>>56392227
>Is your attachment to Debian really that great?
You say this as if I did "tons of hacking" to setup Devuan. It literally installs and functions exactly the same as Debian -- minus systemd. I'm endorsing it because it doesn't require any hacking, as far as I can tell.

I'm only attached to Debian because I like their philosophy, development method, and prominence. I have an appreciation for Gentoo as well, but I don't want to spend so much time setting things up and I don't like the idea of compiling most things to install/update, even if it's in the background. Some day I'll make my perfect Gentoo set-up.
>>
>>56391905

>Gentoo is the best distro for advanced users
>i get all of my knowledge from 4chan and other internet memes
>>
My ubuntu virtual machine is too slow, not responsive. I've allocated 2gb of RAM to it (the total amount of RAM in my laptop is 6gb), and 2 threads of a i5-4210u. I'm using virtualbox.
how can I make it faster? Add more ram to it? Use a different way of storing the files of the virtual machine in virtualbox?
>>
apt is slow
apt output is a mess
apt tools fragmentation (dpkg, apt, apt-get, apt-cache, aptitude) is bad
debian packaging is a mess too
splitting a package into -dev -dbg -doc lib* -all is retarded
shitty defaults like install-recommends
packages with services starts automatically on install (another retarded behaviour)
debian packaging system is insanely convoluted
debian, debian-based distros and apt is trash
>>
>>56392186

> that I can easily look into instead of a monolithic, controlling beast that slowly grows over time and gets its tendrils into non-init-related parts of my system.

You can also look into systemd service files. It's all free software.

>a bunch of regurgitated bullshit which has been disputed countless times
You win the award for most pretentious and stupid post of the day.
>>
>>56392440
It really is, along with Slackware - depending on what you need from your system.
>>
>>56391961

I play with it from time to time but I'm not a 1337 hax0r
>>
>>56392467
no
>>
>>56392467
apt can't into pacman -Qe
>>
>>56392440
>Gentoo is a meme
That's the true hallmark of a 4chan sperglord with no outside knowledge. I don't think Gentoo is for everyone, obviously you need to understand what you are doing at be willing to learn if not, but anyone with experience will tell you Gentoo is in a class unto itself with respect to performance and utility just like Slackware is in a class unto itself for stability.

Major upstreamed distros like Debian and Fedora are fine, but they are heavily compromised by trying to be everything to all people. That is a strength in terms of continuity, but not a strength when it comes to incidental usecase performance.
>>
>>56392570
yeah, there are more. I just didn't bother listing all
apt can't into package groups and is stuck on shitty metapackages instead
>>
Seriously guys. We are friendly, if you have problems with a program, ask a question instead of spouting memes like %x is shit, %y master race. We aren't 12 year old, aren't we?
>>
>https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs
>https://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
Thoughts? Is ext4 really that bad?
>>
>>56392523

You're an idiot. See below why.

>>56392625

>buzzwords and buzzphrases: the post
You're also an idiot. There is no "best distribution for advanced users". An advanced user knows what he needs in terms of distribution defining features and he uses that distribution. Just because Gentoo offers a certain convenient core feature doesn't mean it's the "best" for advanced users.
You and the idiot above think that just because it's "hard" to install that it's perfect for advanced users.
>>
>>56392757
>Nothing is the best
Contracts on having read Kant I guess?

Nothing is perfect, but that doesn't mean most use cases for advanced users are not better served by the tools unique to Gentoo.

Difficulty of installation had nothing to do with my arguments for or against any distro, there is no reason to mention them but for the caveat that new users should realize what they're getting into.

Pretentious, but no cigar friend.
>>
>>56392482
>monolithic, controlling beast that slowly grows over time and gets its tendrils into non-init-related parts of my system
What part of that says "proprietary"? I'm fully aware that it's free software, but I think my points still stand.

Are you implying that systemd:
- isn't monolithic and controlling?
- hasn't grown in scope over time?
- doesn't have its tendrils in non-init-related parts of the system?

Why does Devuan even exist? Why are there countless pages like this? http://suckless.org/sucks/systemd

Probably just me, but I feel like your post is countless times more pretentious and stupid than mine. The point of the post was to admit my mistake and take it back. A very pretentious act.
>>
File: goddammit.jpg (2MB, 1600x892px) Image search: [Google]
goddammit.jpg
2MB, 1600x892px
I've been trying to fix/set-up things in Arch which is taking hours, but it's still not working.

>pic related is error, lsblk, blkid and /etc/fstab

/home is assigned to my HDD (Arch is on my SSD), but my HDD is also not showing up in the file manager.
i can barely find any related information with jewgle and most of it is ubuntu-related too, which uses different command (?)

how do I get rid of the xauth error and properly mount my HDD?
>>
>>56393065
mkdir /home/arch
>>
I'm going to sound fucking stupid for a second, but bear with me. I'm running i3 for the first time and I can't figure out how to save display settings so that it stays permenantly. I'll go to save the settings in the b-menu and it will tell me to save the profile in the auto start file, and I have no idea where that is or how to do that. Is it just a file in the .config folder? Once I find it, do just throw something in at the bottom of the file, and if so then what?
>>
>>56393353
mkdir: cannot create directory /home/arch: File exists
>>
Say I have a directory that contains a couple of video files, all either .mkv, .mp4 or .webm. I want to use ffmpeg to store just their sound in .ogg files named the same as the original file, but I don't want to do it manually for every individual file. However, I can't wrap my head around how I can loop over files in a directory. If I do
$for f in ls
> do
> echo '1'
> done

I get a singular 1 in stdout. Different combinations of quotes, ls and $ don't work either. What am I missing here?
>>
>>56393568
for f in $(ls)

but it's broken if there is file with spaces in their name
>>
>>56393568
for f in * ; do
echo "$f"
done
>>
>>56393546
sudo rm -rf /home/arch
>>
>>56393623
you're rightm * is correctly replaced by files list
>>
>>56393546
Your image shows you logging in with no home directory so arch didn't exist. If it exists now its probably because you have /home mounted.

Also you have shit setup correctly it just isn't mounting for some reason and you haven't found out why and none of the information you have given has any clues why either.

Check your journal and the mounter service status.
>>
>>56393642
Or maybe your arch directory is on / and your /home mount is empty *shrugs*

Who the fuck knows you certainly don't.
>>
how do I make urxvt open with fish
>>
>>56393660
Now that's not nice.
>>
>>56393568
Alternativly just use find.

find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.webm' -exec bash -c 'f={}; ffmpeg -i "${f}" -vn -c:a libvorbis "${f%.*}.ogg"' \;

>>56393642
>>56393660
fuck off tripfag
>>
>>56393639
new error

>shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
>>
>>56393671
>fish
no
>>
>>56393704
Please tell me you didn't wipe your drive.
>>
>>56393704
Did you really do that?

Oh god

I'm so sorry
>>
>>56393671
You literally type fish.
>>
>>56393704
>current year
>falling for the rm -rf meme
lol
>>
File: GSX-S hooning.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
GSX-S hooning.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>56393617
>>56393584
>>56393623
>>56393641
Thanks, that worked.

>>56393688
I like this. Thank you.
>>
>>56393734
>>56393750
yes

goddammit ive been trying to properly set up arch and install xfce and i3 for over twelve fucking hours
for some fucking reason i get all these errors even if i follow noob-proof step-by-step guides on the internet

god fucking dammit
>>
So what is systemd and why does /g/ hate it?

I'm thinking of moving to debian but unsure on what DE or WM to use, is there something like a comparsion video showing how a few of them look? XFCE looks nice but maybe a WM would be cool

Also if I had $600 to drop on a new (none-refurbished) laptop what should I get? needs to last 7 hours on one charge
>>
Let's have all together a moment of silence.
>>
>>56393826
>using any wm
just use tmux
>>
File: 1443048806104.gif (39KB, 209x190px) Image search: [Google]
1443048806104.gif
39KB, 209x190px
>>56393834
>>
>>56393798
Try Debian.
>>
>>56393798
Try a user-friendlier distro. Recommend using something like Debian and taking it slow.
>>
>>56393834
Fuck, it's Linus, isn't it?
>>
>>56393798
You need to attempt to understand what you are doing and why you are doing it instead of blindly punching shit in.

If you don't have the incentive (curiosity) or the patience to understand then just stop trying.
>>
>>56393826
>So what is systemd
If you need to ask this questions, there's no reason to think about if it's bad or not and just go with what your distro came with.

That said, since systemd is free software, there is nothing """really""" bad with it in general, the arguments are ideological and related to the fundamental structure of an operating system (here, the unix philosophy).
>>
>>56393888
>>56393907
I want to use Arch. I want to know what the fuck I'm doing wrong and why it isn't working. But whenever I try to look stuff up on the internet I barely get any information. The information is usually Ubuntu related, which I guess has different commands or it's super fucking vague.

btw, didn't I only delete the /home/arch part? It basically had nothing on it. The PC itself is complete blank, apart from having arch on it
>>
>>56393930
dumb tripcode poster
>>
>>56393955
sudo rm -rf /home/faggot
will only unlink the directory /faggot recursivly.
/home/ should still be there
>>
>>56393955
There's a massive Arch wiki with pretty much all info you'll ever need, stop clicking on Ubuntu forums because they're trash.

If you want to know what you're doing just man <program> and read the argument list.
>>
>>56393977
rm doesn't use unlink()
>>
What's the best music player for Linux?
>Clementine - fucking sucks
>Audacious - fucking sucks
>Banshee - ok but barely works on most distros
>>
>>56394022
mpd + ncmpcpp
>>
>>56394022
pianobar
mocp
>>
File: 1462480314859.jpg (188KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1462480314859.jpg
188KB, 400x462px
>>56394013
>>56394033
fuck off already, you're in the wrong neighborhood
>>
>>56394022
The one I'm using.
>>
>>56387996
Tint2 is easy to configure. You just change the values of the numbers in the tint2rc untill you like it.
>>
>>56394013
rm does unlink files, retard.
Did you ever even read the manpage?
>>
>>56394080
>posting a reply to a tripfag
>>
>>56388619
Isn't multilib already enabled on all debian systems?
>>
>>56394092
>multilib
No such thing on Debian.
>>
File: cinnamon.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
Other than "it's for plebs", why is Mint so hated?
>>
>>56394092
>>56394112
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch
>>
Wtf? Debian sid only has Wine 1.8, OR 1.9.17 instead of the 1.9.16 that everybody else is using.
>>
>>56394175
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
>>56394209
1.9.17 > 1.9.16

Who is "everybody else"?
>>
>>56394022

Audacious with the default UI looks awful, but it looks great with either the 'classic' or the 'refugee' skin which can be applied via the settings.
>>
>>56390323
So I tried this, and it still doesn't recall data.
I tried allocating a partition, and it doesn't like it - just keeps starting afresh, regardless of whether or not I select 'Default' or 'Try Ubuntu'

My Kali installation worked just fine though.
>>
Any of you use xterm instead of urxvt? Why use one over the other? Is urxvt better in some way?
>>
When I install a window manager in debian, and press startx, it will start that window manager without any configuration or even having a .xinitrc in my home directory. Why? Where is this being read from?
>>
>>56394630
Programs have defaults you know.
>>
>>56394461
urxvt has more features
if you don't care about those features then use xterm
>>
>>56394630
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>>
>>56394461
xterm works perfectly
>>
>>56394671
>more
other features
xterm has a lot of vt100 features urxvt hasnt
urxvt has perl scripting features, transparency
>>
>>56394808
>transparency
That's what compton is for.
>>
>>56394808
urxvt also has daemon mode which is neat
>>
>>56394846
I actually never use it.
a) Too much afraid of a situation when the daemon dies and sucks all it'S clients with it down to death
b) Enough ram
>>
>>56394824
>Making an entire window transparent.
Can't fix stupid.
>>
>>56394890
Would you please leave this thread?
>>
>>56394890
fuck off faggot, this is a friendly thread
tripfags also not welcome
>>
I installed debian a month ago without trouble. Now it is asking me for nonfree firmware. What could cause this? It didn't ask me before.
>>
>>56394993
I bet he already know it.
>>
>>56395006
IT'S TRYING TO ENSLAVE YOU
>>
where can i learn how to rice?
>>
>>56392889

>Are you implying that systemd: ...
Yes, all of those.

It's not monolithic and that's been proven by plenty of people. If you cared you'd find those sources yourself.
It hasn't grown in scope over time. It was always set out to be a bunch of tools to control your system. It was never "just an init system" what idiots like you think.
For the last point see above. IT WAS ALWAYS SET OUT TO DO MORE THAN JUST BE AN INIT SYSTEM.

>Why does Devuan even exist?
Because some people enjoy making it. I wish my vocabulary was larger so I could eloquently describe it without just saying "they refuse to use new things".
>>
I let the Debian installer set up apache for me.
Is the security on it ok by default, or do I need to change some things?
>>
>>56393568

http://mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
>>
>>56387996
http://dotshare.it/category/panels/tint2/
>>
>>56393671

>apparently advanced enough to warrant a niche, "non standard" shell
>doesn't even know how to make it his default shell
>>
>>56395234
Just get a good DE and try to change everything to your liking through the settings. You'll probably have to install third party plugins for some stuff though.

Rice your webbrowser with scripts for greasemonkey. There are a bunch on userstyles.org and being thrown around /g/.
Here's one I made: http://pastebin.com/hAzgbB5P

Get a tiling window manager. Browse dank papes on /wg/ (start a collection).
>>
I have these settings. Why does the display still turn off after 10 minutes (both on AC and battery power) and lock my computer? I wouldn't be bothered by that but it happens when I'm trying to watch online streams or listen to music (playback is paused when locking).
>>
>>56395436
MATE good or nah?
>>
>>56395530

DPMS settings. Post the output of "xset q".
>>
>>56395613
Yeah MATE is okay. I riced my gfs laptop with it and it turned out bretty good. imo xfce is almost the same, but a bit more modular.

Obviously building your own DE is best. Putting stuff together yourself brings a lot of choices, and you pretty naturally end up with some rad custom rice.
>>
>>56395658
$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000002
XKB indicators:
00: Caps Lock: off 01: Num Lock: on 02: Scroll Lock: off
03: Compose: off 04: Kana: off 05: Sleep: off
06: Suspend: off 07: Mute: off 08: Misc: off
09: Mail: off 10: Charging: off 11: Shift Lock: off
12: Group 2: off 13: Mouse Keys: off
auto repeat delay: 660 repeat rate: 25
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
bell percent: 50 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 8
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 600 cycle: 600
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0x0 WhitePixel: 0xffffff
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On

So screensaver timeout is probably the offender, right?
>>
wew lad, I almost had a heart attack when I thought I had permanently deleted my firefox profile

I've put tens of hours into configuring it, and several mooking making bookmarks
>>
>>56395764
stay safe anon
make backups
>>
>>56395694

THe DPMS related blanking and turning off isn't turned out, but you have the X screensaver blanking on as shown by:

>prefer blanking: yes
>timeout: 600

Do "xset s off" to turn the blanking off. You can make that command run every time you log in or use Xorg conf file (I prefer conf files myself).
>>
>>56395773
I did

I made a backup 5 minutes before I deleted it

but I fucked it up and it only backed up the directory name, I also had recently deleted all my backups of it on other hardrives
>>
>>56395781
Thanks m8. Can you tell me how to set that up in config files? It's late and I'm a useless noob. I can't even find an xorg.conf
>>
what are the main advantages of running a local DNS server?
I want to compile a list based on my poor understanding of DNS. While it's easy to replicate an unbound config, it's important to understand exactly what is more secure instead of pointing directly to a third party DNS like google
-faster resolution due to local caching DNS server
-DNSSEC validation
-have a local authoritative DNS server for local host names
-avoid trusting third party DNS servers and instead query from root down (?)

I'm trying to understand this unbound config https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html

Why do you still need forward zones if you are supposedly querying everything from root and going down?
Isn't the whole point to avoid third party DNS and resolve from root? Is this even possible?
I'm probably misunderstanding something here
>>
>>56396008
He may use xinit for that but if you're using a DE, just add it to the autostart stuff.
>>
>>56396100

>use xinit
How can you set that with xinit? THe last line in your xinit is supposed to be the command which starts your X session (window manager). "xset" won't work without an X session running, so how will you set that?

>using a DE
Of course he's using a DE. Everything is a desktop environment. Even the things you claim aren't a "DE", window managers like Openbox or i3, have autostart scripts or ways to autostart/autorun commands after starting them.
>>
I wanted to install debian but had a huge apt error while trying to upgrade to sid. I've since reinstalled debian stable and openbox. I do not want to run stable. I need upgraded kernel and xorg since I use amd video card on libre driver.

What distro should I try next? I want something that installs only a base system and then I can choose what to install afterwards. Having apt crap itself from a simple dist-upgrade has made me decide to avoid debian in the future. I didn't do anything wrong, I used debian for many years since 2004. Switched to fedora for a few years and thought about going back. I don't want fedora because I want to start from a minimal base system and Fedora can't install xorg from the server iso properly as of late. (confirmed bug). What distro would you recommend?
>>
>>56396163
xset does in fact work in xinit.

t. someone who has done it many times before.
>>
Does Cinnamon run well on older hardware? I'm about to install Arch on my 6 year old laptop and want to try something other than Xfce
>>
>>56396163
>THe last line in your xinit is supposed to be the command which starts your X session (window manager).
Corrent. That's you you add you autostart commands before the "exec".
>"xset" won't work without an X session running, so how will you set that?
False. xset set's x settings, X doesn't need to run for it.
>Everything is a desktop environment. Even the things you claim aren't a "DE", window managers like Openbox or i3, have autostart scripts or ways to autostart/autorun commands after starting them.
A WM that provides autostarts options isn't automatically a DE. A DE is a whole suit of programs, WM included.
>>
>>56387523
Because Linus senpai uses it
>>
>>56396819
Literally who
>>
Is it possible to have a shared 'data' partition between Windows and GNU/Linux, AND have it be encrypted?
>>
I still can't figure out how to change xfce4-terminal keyboard shortcuts. Using the GTK method doesn't work. Does anyone use XFCE here?
>>
Is funtoo a good distro?
>>
File: debian.png (81KB, 1028x1270px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
81KB, 1028x1270px
I am uploading large files at once to my USB stick. At first it was going fast, but now it slowed down. Is it normal? Why is this happening? Is this a Debian issue or it would happen in other distros and in Windows as well?
>>
>>56396930
used to use xfce, but with rxvt. moved to lxde because of xfce is buggy.
>>
For void linux, do I go for the normal iso or the musl iso?
>>
File: neofetch1.png (223KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
neofetch1.png
223KB, 1920x1080px
>>56397056
normal
>>
>>56397096
Can I use a live version of the iso (just for use of browser) and then install only the base system?
>>
>>56397147
yea boot up the live version with the DE of your choice from your usb. then you can use terminal to install on your drive.
>>
>>56397174
Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>56396581
It will, but you won't be doing any resource intensive task on that machine
>>
>>56392467
APT is one of the shitty things that comes with *buntu. But I can live with it. I wish there was something like dnf or zypper or even pacman
>>
>>56392467
>apt will break itself on a sid system
Forgot that important part. apt-listbugs doesn't prevent it either.
>>
A couple months ago I was able to ctrl+c out of sudo to quickly cancel password input if I realized I'd typed it wrong after pressing enter. I can't find any documentation on this behavior or its removal now, a few months after I last saw it.
Is there a name for this? And how do I re enable it?
>>
>>56396510
Korora and wait until the Xorg bug is fixed, I'm doing the same thing
>>
>>56397519
>>56397469
Suicide, seriously. What's the point of lying on the internet? Cancerous newfags.
>>
How do I make linux as fast as windows?
Just generally browsing internet is very very slow. Interestingly Firefox is faster than Chrome, which is opposite from what I'm used to.
Steam games that are playable on windows are a slideshow.

Ubuntu 16.04, HP spectre (skylake).
>>
How do I get ms fonts on Arch without a copy of Windows?
>>
>>56397586
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>56397600
Arch is for advanced users only.
>>
>>56397605
But what for the DE?
>>
>>56397600
AUR
>>
>>56387488
Guys I need help. I'm computer-less thanks to muh flood (hello fellow Bayou residents) and I need something that'll ship fast and play nice with linux for $700 or less. Specs don't matter that much, but I don't want to buy a refurb cause I don't have any tools handy staying at my in-laws house for a while.
>>
>>56397627
LXDE
>>
>>56397697
try http://minifree.org/
>>
>>56397697
Sorry friend, everyone here uses refurb thinkpads.
>>
>>56397941
I'm in the US, not UK.
>>56397942
I know, but I figure someone around here knows about new hardware. :/

It's a bit fucked, but i'll be stuck while my home is rebuilt for a couple months so I can't be gambling on a refurb that might need some work.
>>
>>56397697
Get an i3 cpu and 8 gigs of ram. That should do you well. I'm still using an i3 4gb of ram system from 2014 and having no problems. AMD sucks.
>>
>>56395345
Hey, anyone have any idea why my .xinitrc isn't being ran as sudo?
>>
>install proxmox
>try to create container
>container needs a template
>no templates listed
>no place in the gui has anything to do with templates
how the fuck am I supposed to use it then?
>>
just installed ubuntu 16 next to windwos, just to learn and play around, is it possible to get rid of unity and go gnome 3 instead? or do i have to reinstall the os?
>>
>>56397708
Thanks I'll try that.
I had Gentoo installed in a virtual box before, but I only used it for the command line and did the entire install by the manual using genkernel. What is a good way to bootstrap myself straight from ubuntu? Try to shrink my partition (does ext4 even do that) and install it side by side until it's usable?
>>
File: freetard.png (47KB, 315x139px) Image search: [Google]
freetard.png
47KB, 315x139px
How do I get rid of this? I installed eclipse, and after closing it and trying to open it again, it got completely fucked up. I cant open it, I cant reinstall it.
>>
>>56398207
not sure exactly what package on ubuntu is gnome3
sudo apt-get install gnome3

reboot just to be safe and you can just switch to it from the login menu
>>
>>56398312
worked like a charm, thank you
>>
GNOME dev here. Can't say I agree with "beats all other GUI efforts in all of computing" - I still think webOS beats us in usability, and if it weren't for how far it fell, I wouldn't mind doing a mobile version of the DE :-D I'm glad people like GNOME, though - it may seem organized on the outside, but internally it plays out more like a fan project or something.

More to the point, however, I feel there's a bit of truth to this post. There's no real reason to use Linux other than "you like it" - sure, there are good aspects to it, but when it comes to OSes, there's no reason to use one over the other. We promote FOSS development because we believe in the philosophies behind it; however, imo it shouldn't be a dealbreaker when talking about software. I got to meet RMS a few years back, and while I appreciate his enthusiasm, I don't agree with him on this point.

HOWEVER, if there is a reason to use Linux, it's the headerbar concept. If you're not familiar with this, its a combined titlebar and menubar that GNOME uses on most of its core apps. It saves space for the actual content of the app to use and forces devs to focus on the core important pieces of their application when designing an interface. It's been copied in so many other OSes, but I feel only Linux users get the true, primal headerbar experience.

There's a user on DeviantArt I follow who does nothing but headerbar concept art, and I can say with certainty it truly shows the power of this amazing technology and its impact on society as a whole. We can do a lot with headerbars, and if we use them correctly, they can do a lot for us. too.

Why, my disabled wife wouldn't be able to use the computer to post her fanart if it wasn't for the simplified design of the GNOME Web browser, Epiphany. She's always found Chrome and Firefox's interfaces to be too unyieldy to use as a onehanded woman.

I hope I've done some good here, and please try GNOME!
>>
>>56397586
make sure you installed proprietary GPU drivers
>>
>>56396510
ubuntu minimal iso. it's basically just debian netinst with unstable/testing packages and nonfree enabled by default. no guishit, you'll start from a login shell
>>
>startx
>Unable to retrieve master
>(EE) AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Why? Why can I only run startx as root? I don't want to run startx as root. Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone know what's up with this? I've tried many things, and I'm on Debian if that matters.
>>
>>56398530
Proprietary software should not exist and should not be used, it takes away your freedom.
>>
I'm installing void linux!
>>
>>56398696
Have fun anon.
>>
>>56398633
Not to mention the propritetary AMD drivers are far inferior to the free ones!
>>
>>56398709
Nevermind. "Failed to install grub to /dev/sda"

;_;
>>
>>56398750
Don't give up!
>>
>>56397697
halp!
>>
>>56398750
Debian with Cinnamon is the same thing.
>>
>>56398769
Trying again without encryption. It's possible they didn't test iso against luks. If I get the same error again I'm not sure what I could do.
>>
>>56399029
Nope. It didn't work. Any ideas?
>>
>>56398750
Is that the only error? Is void a graphical install? Switch to another tty and try installing grub, or syslinux or something.
>>
Kali linux loses internet connection permanently when i try to watch Udemy videos. Once its out, it is out for good until i restart. Shutting down the browser does nothing, neither does logging out and logging back in. This does not happen for youtube or pretty much any other site. Does anyone know what might be going on? I thought it was just iceweasel, but i've upgraded it (to firefox) and its still crashing 15 seconds into videos and making me restart.

I'm running it as the main OS on a spare laptop i got from work.
>>
>>56398530
I have intel video.
>>
>>56399259
Kali isnt ment for daily driver....
>>
Cant seem to get x to work in virtualbox.
I have tried both nouveau and nvidia, and they have the same issue finding a screen device.
Is there a different driver for vb's virt?
>>
I finished an Antergos (Gnome) installation on my laptop, but it won't boot when I turn it on. After selecting Antergos in the bootloader, it goes to a black screen with a blinking text curser and doesn't progress. I can't even type anything in
>>
>>56387523
Ive used many many distros and find Fedora/RHEL to be my favorite due to stability, security, and quality of the package repository
>>
>>56399323
your boot loader is incorrect
>>
> new laptop
> using xmonad
> love it
> copy and paste touchpad config off internet
> can figure out what most of it means
> gradually delete lines off as I decide what I want and don't
> for some reason can no longer paste from one session to the next
> not sure if it was the touchpad configuration or what; I've deleted the custom config file which should have restored the defaults.

WHY? THIS IS SO FUCKING ASININELY SIMPLE WHY ISN'T IT WORKING? THIS IS THE ONLY OBSTACLE TO ME BEING HAPPY AND IT'S HAPPENING FOR NO REASON! NO REASON AT ALL!

FUCK!
>>
>>56391798

Sorry
>>
-> >>56399462
>>
>>56399412
I let Antergos handle all the partitioning, why would it be wrong?
>>
>>56399493
Your boot drive is most likely not set correctly
Go in to your /boot and change it. Thought im assuming that will be too difficult for you, since you have to use an installer.
Reinstall time!
>>
Hi guys, i have a question

I am a video game user, why i should change to Linux?
>>
Should I put Xubuntu or Fedora 24 on my x201?
The only linux I have experience with is fedora 23 on live USB on a shitty old Dell. I didn't like GNOME at all desu.
>>56399710
Why would you want to change?
>>
File: 1380697092809.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
1380697092809.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>56392871
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.