[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 29

File: 1449887501477.jpg (53KB, 405x500px) Image search: [Google]
1449887501477.jpg
53KB, 405x500px
Previously on: >>56433873

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team (not really):

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Anyone use openSUSE? How is it for home desktop usage? I want to be a special snowflake while still using something that's backed by business.
>>
>>56443823
Just use Ubuntu you autistic faggot

In fact this ^ answer should be given for about 90% of the dumb questions on this thread
>>
Here's a website I wanted to share with you.

https://debgen.simplylinux.ch/

Quite useful
>>
>>56443839
I can't use Ubuntu after the whole Amazon fiasco, the are no longer trustworthy. [spoiler]I'll still probably end up with Ubuntu though.[/spoiler]
>>
>>56443858
Stop using shit that happened years ago as a reason to not use the greatest Linux distro ever made.

Fine then if you really want to be a massive bitch, at least just use Debian. Don't use meme shit like Opensuse ffs.
>>
>>56443909
Nah, Debian is shite.
>>
>>56443918
Fuck off twat. Those are the only two distros worth a shit. If you don't like them, fuck off back to autismville.
>>
>>56443909
Fuck off, pajeet
>>
>>56443858
I remember when Ubuntu used to be trusty... tahr

I'm the same person who made this post: 56425620
>>
>>56443945
> fuck off back to autismville.

You seem to be the only one sperging out here.
>>
Anyone here that is able to use Acestream on linux? It's the main reason I haven't change for linux yet.
>>
11th for gentoo.
>>
>>56443957
Pajeets use Windows you little bitch. I don't know many Pajeets who use Linux, none at all in fact.
>>
>>56443993
I've used it to watch f1 streams a few times, it more or less works fine.
>>
>>56444026
On Ubuntu 16.04? Is it easy to install? I've read that it can be a bit complicated.
>>
>>56444079
I used it on Arch, but I can't imagine it's hard to install on Ubuntu. It was fairly straightforward to install for me.
>>
did you fags support the earth-friendly EOMA68 computing device?
>>
>>56444088
Nice. Did you use this guide?
http://acestreamguide.com/linux/
>>
>>56444136
No I just installed the packages and then used it.
>>
What's the difference between infinality profiles ultimate-free ultimate-ms and ultimate-combi?
>>
>>56444143
Alright, I'm gonna try it tomorrow, thanks.
>>
>>56444157
They use different settings.
>>
>>56443823
>I want to be a special snowflake while still using something that's backed by business.
Fedora or maybe CentOS
suse has gone down the drain after they moved to the US
>>
How do I get debian to work with my usb wifi adapter? typically when I plug it in it'll have a driver program run and do it's thing, how do I make it run that stuff on debian? I can't run the internet while on the distro itself so I'd love some help
>>
>>56445339
Download the firmware .deb, put it on a usb stick and install it manually.
>>
File: 2015-04-12_014224.jpg (29KB, 288x376px) Image search: [Google]
2015-04-12_014224.jpg
29KB, 288x376px
>tfw installing large software on gentoo
>tfw the computer spends way more time working on the installation than you do
why does compiling feel so good even if it's not your own code?
>>
>>56445596
Compiled wine just now, felt like sex.
>>
>>56443684
The fuck? That's fucking dangerous. Penguins are vicious. Hope they enjoy their blind toddler after Mr Pengo pecks her fucking eyes out. Hard to use a CLI when you're blind.
>>
Any good alternatives to tint2?
>>
>>56445718
tint1 and tint3?
>>
>>56445732
kek
>>
File: 1462675512033.jpg (580KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1462675512033.jpg
580KB, 2448x3264px
So I just accidently killed X. LOST. How?
I made a restart function to restart programs.
restart() { ( pkill "$1" && "$1" & disown ); }

Then the devil made me asking myself "What happens if I restart nothing?" Turns out pkill "" kills X. Learn my lessen. Don't make the same mistake buddies.

Oh and here how I fixed it.

restart() { 
if test $# -eq 0; then
printf 'Fuck off.\n' 1>&2;
else
( pkill "$1" && "$1" & disown );
fi
}

/blog
>>
>>56443684
>Sandy-bridge i7
>8GB RAM
>GTX 950
>Samsung SSD
Install Ubuntu 16.04, it runs slower and choppier than on my T61 with decade old integrated graphics and 2GB of RAM with a 5400 RPM spinning HDD.

Explain this shit to me /g/entoomen. I've now tried Ubuntu, Debian (stable, testing, and sid), Fedora, OpenSuse, Slackware, Arch... everything short of Gentoo. All seem to suffer from extremely bad drivers.

What the hell is going on here? Did I pick a bad time to go back to Linux?
>>
>>56445958
9 series drivers are Shit at the moment. I have no advice to give other than be patient and donate to the hard working developers who make shit like this go away faster.
>>
>>56445925
It actually kills everything the user has permission to, because everything matches "". If you had daemons running it would also kill them.
>>
>>56446070
I see, makes more sense.
>>
>>56445958
AMD is the way to go on GNU/Linux.

Inb4 that tripfag with hatred of AMD.
>>
>>56445718
try lemonbar

been meaning to try it
>>
>>56446070
this, pkill works like grep and kill in one command
>>
>You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
>libXtst.so.6
>libpulse.so.0

On Antergos, how can I fix this?
>>
>>56446288
Install them?
>>
>>56446288
What's even the point in using steam? Just install the games or go GOG.
>>
why does st not accept IME input?
Its supposed to suck less, right? But I cant even
"cd エロまんが/カンコレ/男の娘/しまかぜくん"
this is VERY important to me.
>>
>>56446325
There are some games that require steam.
>>
>>56446413
They're called "cuck games".
>>
>>56446315
I don't know where to install them from
>>
File: wally.png (22KB, 646x450px) Image search: [Google]
wally.png
22KB, 646x450px
> own three computers
> Arch installed on two of them

Should I install Arch or Gentoo on the third? On one hand I should really just standardize across the computers but I liked Gentoo last time I used it (over a year ago)
>>
>>56446397
Just use urxvt, it works.
>>
>>56446427
I recall having this issue.
I think I downloaded some .rpm off the internet and dumped them into my lib folder.
if you search the names of the libraries the same things I found should come up, it looks to me like they are.
>>
Is there an alternative to networkmanager that encrypts wifi passwords by default? It stores it in plaintext.
>>
>>56446441
Gentoo is the best distribution of GNU/Linux. Everyone should use it.
>>
>>56446441
Install the distro you are comfy with, not to impress others. It's your computer.
>>
>>56446164
>AMD is the way to go on GNU/Linux
lol
>>
>>56446397
What input method are you using? Does it work in other applications?
>>
>>56446446
I've been using mostly yakuake and sometimes konsole, I was just toying with st.
>>
File: 2016-09-05_18-31-30.png (204KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-05_18-31-30.png
204KB, 1024x600px
recommend me a/some lightweight but good distro/s that I can rice and that'll run smooth as butter on my netbook

https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/Eee_PC_1000HA/
>>
>>56446484
The free drivers are miles ahead of nvidia's. Go ahead and cuck yourself with nvidia's proprietary bullshit.
>>
>>56446519
lubuntu is excellent. Very lightweight, has full access to the ubuntu repos which is great for beginners, and uses openbox as the windows manager, which you can get into ricing.
>>
>>56446492
that was my laptop with ubuntu, so fcitx.
Tried ncmpcpp, couldnt search for my japanese music. It works in literally every other program on the system though, even steam which ibus doesnt work with on my desktop.
>>
I'm using mint version 18, and have been experiencing some screen tearing most notably on web pages when I scroll down. What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>56446519
My Arch home server that runs on a 16GiB SDHC card says hello. I ruined my uptime because I just moved to northern sydney
>>
>>56446535
What are the differences between flavors of ubuntu? xubuntu, lubuntu, etc.
>>
>>56446593
MIR
>>
File: arch.jpg (19KB, 383x321px) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
19KB, 383x321px
If I enable proposed on Ubuntu, apt-get update, and install 1 package, then disable proposed, will I fuck anything up in terms other stable packages? Reason being I need a bugfix on proposed.
>>
>>56446525
That's a really low bar. TBQH discrete graphics from current generation on Linux are all terrible. It's Intel or bust if you want smooth performance.
>>
>>56446593
desktop enviornment.
Unity is gross so use some flavor.
>>56446621
I heard mir is totally seperated from both Wayland and x. Is that true? It sounds kinda shitty if so.
>>
>>56443945
>fuck off back to autismville.
>he says while posting in a Linux thread
>on a technology board known for calling a lot of shit a botnet
>that is a subsidiary of an anime image board
wew
>>
>>56446460
I'm going to install a distro I like regardless (admittedly I first tried Arch because my brother and I were drunk and he dared me to install it).

I'm gonna go Arch because I've already installed it to one computer and I want everything I do to one of them to be able to be easily done to the other.

Like why Linus Torvalds makes his family use Fedora.
>>
>>56446562
>arch
>server

btw you can use screenfetch -E to hide those errors
>>
>>56446288
anon I answered you in the previous thread but literally just install them

did you try looking on the arch wiki because I can guarantee your answer is there

Hint - to make things even easier, there is an aur package specifically for steam libs

always read the wiki thoroughly
>>
>>56446723
It's just a home server, anon. I'm just comfortable with Arch
>>
How do I set keybindings in Linux?

I somehow deleted all of mine. I have no fucking clue how.

Someone give an example of a command (or give me a GUI program to use) to set a keybinding and I can go from there.

> street sign captcha

Evidently Google deleted my keybindings.
>>
>>56446749
It's fine.
>>
>>56446562
> getting it to work on a SD card

How? I tried to format an SD card from Linux once and now it refuses to work ever.

And can someone explain why my head hurts and I become stupid if I work on computers for more than like 6 hours in a day?
>>
>>56446772
Mount root partition on it, don't mount your hard drive during installation. Easy
>>
>>56446800
I tried exactly that once.

It kept throwing errors during attempts to format. I don't remember exactly what they said but the word hardware was in them. If you really want I'll go get it and make it throw them again.
>>
Let's play chess.

telnet freechess.org
>>
>>56446850
Strange. I used parted and mkfs command.

If you are going to format and SD card why not just use GParted? It should work unless your card is damaged
>>
>>56446884
I did use gparted. I made three partitions and ran mkfs.vfat on the efi one.

Granted I was doing this from my old laptop which was shitting the bed anyway. I might try again later.
>>
>>56446952
efi is the source of all problems. Go with mbr, not gpt
>>
>>56446672
I can play WoW at same level as windows, works good enough for me. Never had any slowdowns in 2D performance either.
>>
>>56447072
What card? I've got an RX 385 in my desktop and my wife has a GTX 960. Neither of us gets Windows level performance in WoW.
>>
>>56447137
r7 260x. A little older. It works perfectly. When I got it however, it sucked. Couldn't even play dota. Now I can play anything without problems.

The drivers need time to mature.
>>
if I want ncmpcpp to display album art on the side, all big, like my foobar and deadbeef do, is the solution probably to use a multiplexer, with some sorta script?
>>
My laptop only has full compatibility with Ubuntu based distros, not Debian. Which one of its spins should I install?

I'm fairly used to Linux and my desktop runs Arch.
>>
>>56447261
Who told you that?
>>
>>56447180
Yes, or run something like cantata.
>>
>>56447276
May be he's referring to the fact that the stable brunch won't support his new hardware
>>
>>56447276

Experience. It runs like shit with anything else and I have better things to do than sink my time trying to fix faulty implementations.
>>
>>56447302
Well that is not the only compatible distro then.
>>
>>56447320
Just choose which DE you like then, you answered your own question. Why would you ask which DE to use?
>>
>>56447341

Some spins are more stable than others. Kubuntu is completely thrash, for example, and I have no idea how good is ubuntu gnome.

There are also the derivatives like mint and netrunner.

Why are you overthinking my question?
>>
>>56447385
You're over thinking your own question.

You like mate? Use mate.
You like xfce? Use xubuntu.
>>
>>56447385
>Why are you overthinking my question?
I don't think it's me doing that.
ubuntu is ubuntu, just install the DE you like. If the DE is buggy then it's probably not the one you like.
>>
>>56447163
>The drivers need time to mature.
3+ years for comparable drivers. Linux, the struggle.
>>
>>56447288
Cantata doesnt seem to be able to do even remotely what I want so multiplex+learning to script it is, fuggit
>>56447385
>kubuntu is complete trash
:(((((
I use it and plasma crashes regularly, so I guess its desktop isn't stable, yeah. I just dont really care because it restarts itself instantly, and im used to the desktop dying now and then and restarting from windows. It starts again much faster than windows.
>>
Why would anyone use a non unix based OS? GNU/Linux is so awesome.
>>
>>56447718
You said you wanted it to display album art, cantata can do that. What else do you want it to do?
But suit yourself.
#!/bin/bash
MPC="mpc"
MUSIC_DIR="/home/anon/Music"
FILENAME=""

width=370
height=361

while :; do
CURRENT_FILE=$($MPC current -f "%file%")
CURRENT_DIR=$(dirname "$CURRENT_FILE")

FILENAME=$(find $MUSIC_DIR/"$CURRENT_DIR" -name "*[Ff]ront*[png|jpg|bmp]")
if [[ -z $FILENAME ]]; then
FILENAME=$(find $MUSIC_DIR/"$CURRENT_DIR" -name "*[Cc]over*[png|jpg|bmp]")
FILENAME=$(find $MUSIC_DIR/"$CURRENT_DIR" -name "*[Ff]older*[png|jpg|bmp]")
fi
fi

FILENAME="~/default_album_cover.png"
fi

w3m_command="0;1;0;0;$width;$height;;;;;""$FILENAME""\n4;\n3;"
echo -e $w3m_command | /usr/libexec/w3m/w3mimgdisplay

$MPC idle player update
clear
done
>>
>>56447760
then
#!/bin/bash
tmux new-session -d 'music'
tmux new-window '~/.local/bin/mpdart.sh'
tmux split-window -v 'ncmpcpp'
tmux select-pane -U
tmux split-window -h 'cava'
tmux select-pane -D
tmux -2 attach-session -d
>>
>>56447728
Because linux drivers suck and performance on my amd machine is trash. Therefor Windows until one of the driver devs catches up to Windows circa 2014.
>>
>>56447760
I want it to display album art in precisely the way I want it to, with a big fuckoff pane for album art that takes up half to more than half the screen, which it didnt look like I could do poking around it for a few minutes.
Thank you very much though, I'll try that thing.
>>
File: 1454176825666.png (42KB, 653x726px) Image search: [Google]
1454176825666.png
42KB, 653x726px
>>56447858
I know that feel.
>>
Is there an alternative to XDM that doesn't look like Bill Gates' asshole circa 1986?

I have a custom xinitrc so I need a display manager that will use that.

Maybe there's a way to make any DM do that? IDK.
>>
Why does apt-get always end up with a giant list of packages it wants to uninstall? Mine currently tells me it wants to get rid of like 100 packages every time I run an update. Is there any way to mark them all as WANTED so it stops trying to get rid of them?
>>
Know any good openbox themes?
>>
>>56448400
Numix-Frost
>>
How the hell are you supposed to settle on a DE? I've decided to use Arch now but I can't decide what DE to use, I've had the most success with Xfce so far since it works the way I expect it to, but I'd like to use something a little more modern looking since my laptop isn't too outdated.

I've only run into problems with the Gnome shell scripts and I don't really have any reason to use Lxde, so which other DEs should I try? Cinnamon has been a bit of a hassle for me too but I might give it another shot. Is MATE worth using?
>>
>>56448608
Openbox is a good start. Don't fall for the DE meme.
>>
>>56448629
> Openbox

Xmonad master race reporting in.

In all seriousness a basic WM with maybe a bar is all you need.
>>
>>56445596
Stefan, please....
>>
>>56445718
fbpanel
>>
How does /fglt/ utilize SNAPS?
>>
>>56449014
What?
>>
File: 1459455971626.jpg (10KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1459455971626.jpg
10KB, 500x375px
>>56449077
>>
I'm using xcompmgr. How do I put shadows under my windows? I tried "xcompmgr -n -c -C" because i have a Docky and I don't want shadows on it but it's not working.
>>
>>56449077
"Snap" packages.
>https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Snapd
What am I supposed to do with this? does "snap" replace APT?
>>
>>56449229
It's more for having self contained pieces of software without the rest of your system or libs conflicting with it.
>>
When I'm starting my computer I get the message "kaslr disabled" and something about hibernation being disable I don't know. What's that about?
>>
>>56449326
I think kaslr and hibernation are disabled.
>>
>>56449338
What that does? Should I enable it? If so how?
>>
>>56449257
But say software is available both in repos and in snap - which do I install? Do I have to look both here and there, and also for newest developmental releases before installing? It's the fragmentation that bugs me. Not to mention it seems improbable most packages will updated as snap builds.
>>
>>56449460
Unless you have a reason to keep software at certain, self-contained release or you need easy rollback to previous versions that may be broken with newer libs, just go with your repos.

It's mainly for having packaged version that are easier to maintain that are separate from your main system, which could be useful in a server environment.
>>
linux
>>
File: 1468706946175.png (16KB, 316x484px) Image search: [Google]
1468706946175.png
16KB, 316x484px
>>56449638
gnu
>>
>>56443958
>>56445958
Install xubuntu
>>
File: Gnu_meditate_levitate.png (594KB, 1280x1112px) Image search: [Google]
Gnu_meditate_levitate.png
594KB, 1280x1112px
Dear /g/.

Can you recomend a noob friendly OS that respects my freedoms but still lets me play CS:GO? Blyat.
I am curently on GnomeBuntu

Saw an interview with stallman talking bout buntu and now i feel like a traitor.
>>
>>56446288
>playing gaymes

what are you fucking 12
>>
>>56450330
>install debian
>nano /etc/apt/source.list
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# OFFICIAL DEBIAN REPOS
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------#

###### Debian Main Repos
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

###### Debian Update Repos
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-proposed-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ stretch-proposed-updates main contrib non-free

>dpkg --add-architecture i386
>apt update && apt upgrade
>apt install steam
>reboot

note : don't copy pasta the source.list, it might be different according your county, so just modify the end of each line
>>
>>56450330
go ask stallman what he thinks about little known proprietary piece of software called Steam
>>
Can anyone explain to me how SSH tunneling works? I'm trying to set up a restricted remote-accessible plex server and I am under the impression that this will allow me to do so through my ssh port, removing the need to open a port specifically for plex. Is this right?

Could I do the same thing through hosting an openvpn server?
>>
>>56450330
>Can you recomend a noob friendly OS that respects my freedoms but still lets me play CS:GO? Blyat.
SteamOS but remember that neither Steam nor CS:GO respect your freedom.
>>
How do I install .pcf fonts in Ubuntu?

As my user, created ~/.fonts and copied *.pcf files over it. Now running fc-cache -f -v

Fonts are still not visible from apps or font viewer.
>>
>>56450330
If your hardware supports it, get Trisquel otherwise get Debian.

>>56450405
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
>>
>>56449326
Wait for the kernel update next week if it's Fedora 24
>>
Does Linux really respect my freedoms? I'm tired of Windows and I'm tired of Microsoft even though I torrented Windows 7.
>>
Why am I finding it so difficult to install Arch on my UEFI BIOS? Just bought a T420 and I've installed this at least 20+ times without a problem. Fugg
>>
My media keys (volume control, etc) have started just not working after my computer is on for more than like an hour recently. Running Gnome Shell on Arch.

Anyone know why this might be happening?
>>
>>56450843
It does. Free Operating systems will give you tons of options.

>>56450855
What's wrong?

>>56450965
Restart pulseaudio
>>
>>56448373
IDK, use Dnf or Pacman
>>
>>56450999
>>Restart pulseaudio
It's not just the volume keys though. Thinks like play/pause media keys aren't being recognized either.
>>
File: a.png (26KB, 478x262px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
26KB, 478x262px
>>56448608
>I'd like to use something a little more modern looking since my laptop isn't too outdated.
funnily enough i did the opposite, first couple years i used linux (2004+) i used KDE3.x, now i use openbox+tint2
DE's are nice when you're not already sure what you want, but once you know, just use those!

>>56450416
yes, you can use ssh to connect to a port on a remote server which is otherwise inaccessible
for example;
ssh user@server -L<port1>:localhost:<port2>

then you can the servers' "port1" from "localhost:port2"
pic related, accessing a service on my VPS's port 10000, which is otherwise firewalled

--
this post has been sitting here for ages, wrote it up right as 4chan broek
>>
>>56450843
Well, if you use a deblobbed version of it like in debian gnu/linux, yes.
I suggest trying it out. if you need any nonfree drivers just install them as a module.
>>
File: no_miniatures_in_file_picker.png (54KB, 950x538px) Image search: [Google]
no_miniatures_in_file_picker.png
54KB, 950x538px
>use Windows 10
>tfw Microsoft is doing it best to copy linux features
>pic and filename related
>>
I have an ati card and I want to replace it with an nvidia card. I've removed all the ati drivers. The problem is that the nvidia card is a very new gtx 1060 and I fear that the nouveau drivers (that I assume any nvidia card will default to) will not recognize it, therefore not giving me an easy way to install the latest nvidia driver.
My question is, can I install the nvidia driver with the ati card still in place, then shutdown and install the nvidia card? Does the nvidia driver even "look" at the card in place before reboot?
>>
File: Hb3xO.jpg (134KB, 854x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Hb3xO.jpg
134KB, 854x1280px
I'm trying to make a backup/snapshot of my system, in case something goes bad, or when upgrading to new SSD/HDD
What's best why to do it?
>>
File: 1469230639577.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1469230639577.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
installing gentoo right now and I'm at the point where I have to build the kernel
what is the disadvantage to just shoving everything I may or may not need into the kernel and just not using it if it doesn't fit me?
>>
>>56451481
a little extra disk usage + maybe a little extra memory usage + longer compilation time
unused modules won't be loaded
>>
>>56445958
>Linux
>Modern GPU
SHYGD
>>
>>56450843
Linux not really, there are a lot of proprietary modules (binary blobs) includes in order to support everyone's hardware. There's a deblobbed version called "Linux-libre" made by GNU or just use Debian, which also comes deblobbed.

>>56451386
rsync for backups, dd for snapshots
>>
Speaking of modules... I was trying Linux-libre, everything worked except my WIFI. Is there a way to add a module for WIFI to Linux-libre or do I need to go back to vanilla Linux? Pretty new to kernel related stuff, pls no bully.
>>
>>56452520
what would be the point in using linux-libre if you're going to add non-free blobs to it?
vanilla linux is what you would end up with

either stick to linux-libre and get a new wifi device that is supported by fully free software, or use vanilla linux
>>
>>56452478
>rsync for backups, dd for snapshots
What's the difference?
Do you mean dd will include empty space as well? and rsync will not?
>>
>>56451481
It's not a big deal at all. That's basically what genkernel does. Careful loading too many sound or network drivers though since you can sometimes cause conflicts
>>
Why is it such a fucking nightmare getting Win7 to dual boot with Loonix?
>>
>>56452620
it is?

this in grub.cfg is the only configuration i've done to dual boot with windows 7

menuentry 'Windows 7' {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
search --fs-uuid --set 0EF417D4F417BCC1
chainloader +1
}
>>
>>56452659
I'll give it a shot anon, what does the string mean on the fourth line?
>>
What pdf viewer should I use in linux?
>>
>>56452691
mupdf because epub support
>>
>>56452670
to explain it all (for others, at least)
insmod part_msdos and ntfs loads the grub modules that make it able to recognize msdos ("mbr") partitions, and ntfs filesystems (both needed to be able to find my windows' partitions' UUID)
the search line finds my windows filesystem by its UUID, and sets it to be the current 'root' (further operations will assume this is what it should be working on unless explicitly specified otherwise)
chainloader just loads other bootloader, my windows partition is bootable, so selecing it and booting from it is enough
>>
>>56452670
ps. find your windows partitions' UUID like this;
% sudo blkid | grep ntfs
/dev/sdf1: UUID="0EF417D4F417BCC1" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="79886fdb-01"
>>
>>56452691
zathura
>>
>>56452732
>>56452744

Thanks a bunch
>>
>>56451197
> pollock
>>
>>56443823
Using it right now. The repositories are utter dogshit, but zypper is probably the comfiest package manager
>>
>>56451197
I don't understand what you mean by this. What feature is being copied?
>>
>>56452971
>censoring your username
>>
>>56452988
>letting the NSA know
>>
>>56452971
>>56452988
>forgetting to censor it
>edward
>>
>>56452971
What's up Edward.
>>
What version of Java should I use? Oracle or OpenJDK
>>
>>56452971
Hey ed, did you know you're sharing the name with the famous standard text editor?

Also, here: screenfetch -t | sed "s/$(whoami).*//"
>>
>>56452971
PS1='██████████@█████:~$
>>
>>56453049
'
>>
>>56453025
>>56453049
Pfffft, it's way easier to load an entire paint program and manually hide your name.
>>
>>56452971
Reminder that the deleting function is pure placebo. Everything is archived.
>>
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale.
>>
>>56453132
t. norbert
>>
Am I doing it right?
>>
>>56445958
Nvidia foss drivers are not that good, you probably want the proprietary ones.
>>
>>56453310
Go away NSA.
>>
>>56451941
I use it with an r9 390 and everything works fine
>>
>>56453310
But it's proprietary.
>>
>>56452520
Well, thats essentially what you are doing on Debian. Even if they don't call it linux-libre since they deblobbed it themselves.
>>
>>56453310
>foss
>>
>>56453350
My thought was: Better one blob than every blob the vanilla kernel comes with. Can I archive this with Debian?
>>
How can I comment out multible lines in my openbox menu config without having to write # infront of every line?
I serched and found:
<<COMMENT1
something
COMMENT1
and
:'
something
'
Neither of those worked
>>
>>56453321
>>56453332
Geez i know its bad, but if he wants performance on nvidia there is no way around it.
>>56453385
Yes, by default debian is completely free but if you enable contrib and nonfree you can install your needed module via package manager. I assume it is iwlwifi.
>>
>>56453435
Damn, perfect. Thanks!
>>
>>56446397
is this the new /g/ humor thread?
>>
>>56453418
Try
<!--
faggot
-->
>>
>>56453321
xf86-nouveau a shit
>>
>>56453515
That worked, thanks.
>>
>that freshly riced feeling
>>
File: jzbvvr.png (120KB, 1700x830px) Image search: [Google]
jzbvvr.png
120KB, 1700x830px
how do i set the color of the history lines in weechat?
Currently mine are invisible
>>
>>56453759
Fist off, get rid of that solarized crap.
>>
>>56453785
do you have some nice dotfiles for a different colorscheme that doesn't suck?
>>
>>56453806
just use a generator
http://terminal.sexy
>>
>>56453821
okay neat, but now back to my original question
>>
>>56453833
Doesn't weechat use terminal colors by default?
>>
>>56446397
Just enable it.
>>
>>56453851
It does it does, but I've changed a lot of the colors around, initially the history was white, but it only changes on restart, so I didn't notice immediately.
>>
>>56453833
http://www.weechat.org/files/doc/stable/weechat_user.en.html#colors
>>
>>56453881
I mean I'm currently trying out everything if found with /set weechat.color.*
but so far I fail to see color.history or what ever it is called
>>
>>56449617
How do you think snaps compare to the NixOS approach?
>>
>>56450379
What makes playing video games any more childish than another activity?
>>
Is there any distro/DE where scaling is as simple as in Windows, eg. move a slider and all the applications and everything is scaled? I remember when I tried changing scaling only the DE stuff scaled, but the applications itself remained the same, or am I just retarded?
>>
>The antitrust of the EU had been "pressuring it to divest MySQL as a condition for approval of the merger". But, as revealed by WikiLeaks, the US Department of Justice and Antitrust, at the request of Oracle, pressured the EU to approve the merger unconditionally.[56] The European Commission eventually unconditionally approved Oracle's acquisition of MySQL on 21 January 2010.[57]
I KNEW THE FUCKING GLOBALISTS WERE BEHIND ORACLE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
hello everyone
i need some help because im totally armless
last week i saw some dude in class who was using a really cool calculator program thingy on his laptop. i asked him what it was and he told me it was something proprietary called 'casio classpad manager'. allows you to use the functions of a casio graphing calculator on a computer. how cool is that.
now im wondering, is there a foss graphing calculator with loads of functions for gnu/linux? ive been just using galculator and incase i need something more, wolfram alpha.
i did a bit of googling and found something promising called extcalc but i couldnt get it to run and it hasnt been updated in ages.

ps im not looking for an emulator, i dont own a fancy calculator

pss is it worth it to buy one of those fancy pricy calcs instead
>>
I was playing WoW on Fedora a week ago. I tried to do it with Funtoo and I get weird glitchy colors everywhere and 10 fps instead of flawless playback with 100 fps. Clearly the problem is with my driver. I'm using the radeon driver. Should I maybe try switch to amdgpu?
>>
>>56448373
Those are just packages/dependencies that were automatically installed, but due to packages updating or being removed, they become unnecessary.

To remove them, simply apt-get autoremove or add --auto-remove to install/remove/purge. (e.g. apt-get install --auto-remove).
>>
why does portage output so much garbage to the stdout during compilation?
this seems like arbitrary switches and file paths to me and there's hundreds of them
not to mention the compiler warnings I get from compiling somebody elses code which are basically meaningless to me since I'll never fix that due to lack of knowledge and need to do so

whom does this gibberish help?
>>
>>56454398
WoW runs fine here with radeonsi (HD7850)
that said, the latest i've run is MoP
>>
>>56454596
I know it works on this card, there's just something fishy going on with my drivers in funtoo.
>>
>trying to do some shit that works instantly in Windows on Linux (connect to university wifi network)
>two hours later, have 26 tabs open, trying to figure out which of four additional network managers to install because /g/'s recommended linux distro can't handle this DAUNTING TASK on its own
>poring over forum posts written between fifteen different nationalities, none of which know english, trying to explain which obscure hidden system file I should edit manually to trick which of the four programs into actually doing what it's supposed to do (barely, and it'll break as soon as the program updates, so make sure you don't update!!!)
>this is like a 5 year old problem
>people not being able to connect to a very popular university wifi security standard
>seems like a big deal
>ask the linux faggots why they haven't come up with better fixes than "dig around in the forums through 15 nested threads referring to 500 other nested threads for your own personal jury-rig fonzie-slamming-the-jukebox solution!!"
>UHHHHHH MAYBE IT';S USER ERROR BRO MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO WINDOWS LMFAO HAHAHA LOL
>say "seems legit, these linux niggas are just too hardcore for me, they don't mind spending fourteen hours realigning goa'uld crystals to get their wifi to work"
>UHHHH BRO LINUX IS VERY USER FRIENDLY BRO ANYONE CAN USE IT THE NEW DISTROS RAE JUST LIKE WINDOWS BRO MY GRANDMA USES LINUX BRO

LINUX

SUCKS

FUCKING

DICK
>>
>>56454768
you need to connect 4 times in a row to eduroam
it's dumb but that's how it works.
maybe ask some of your friends how they connected to the wifi before you post angry comments in a friendly thread.
>>
>>56454768
wa la
>>
Do anyone have experience with mailman/apache?

Apache says I do not have permissions to visit the site, but check_perms says there is no problems.
The files belong to the list group rather than the www-data group, otherwise check_perms says there is something wrong.
What files should have what permission?
>>
>>56454596
I fixed it by enabling amdgpu in make.conf!
>>
>>56454810
eduroam works fine on my machine, but I have heard a lot of problems with the network manager on 16.04.
My university just connect like this:
http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=152599592
but with a different cert.
>>
>>56454985
Nevermind still flashing colors and shit.
>>
>>56454283

https://www.kde.org/applications/education/kalgebra/

http://qalculate.github.io/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications#Mathematics
>>
>>56454500
--quiet [ y | n ] (-q short option) 
Results may vary, but the general outcome is a reduced or condensed output from portage's displays.
--quiet-build [ y | n ]
Redirect all build output to logs alone, and do not display it on stdout. If a build failure occurs for a single package, the build log will be automatically displayed on stdout (unless the --quiet-fail option is enabled). If there are multiple build failures (due to options like --keep-going or --jobs), then the content of the log files will not be displayed, and instead the paths of the log files will be displayed together with the corresponding die messages. Note that interactive packages currently force all build output to be displayed on stdout. This issue can be temporarily avoided by specifying --accept-properties=-interactive. Further, note that disabling --quiet-build has no effect if --jobs is set to anything higher than 1.
>>
>>56453881
actually not color at all
it was part of the logger options
/set logger.color.backlog_line
>>
>>56454283
I would suggest that you try out R.
It is very easy to learn and very good if you want to make a lot of graphs to put into reports and stuff.
You can use it with Rstudio or as a scripting language with your favorite editor +
Rscript script.R
>>
Writing some scripts and I'm wondering how popular YAD is, who here has it installed?
>>
>>56455350
For portability you maybe should switch to python.
>>56455152
Lucky boy.
>>
>>56454500
It's the output of the compilation process.
You shouldn't be seeing it at all in the first place if you configured your make.conf correctly because you should be having parallel fetch-and-merge which displays how many packages are being processed, in what stage they are, and so on instead.
>>
File: 1443236602069.jpg (165KB, 949x660px) Image search: [Google]
1443236602069.jpg
165KB, 949x660px
http://article.olduse.net/[email protected]
>>
Is funtoo's debian-sources deblobbed like the debian kernel?
>>
How do I into fontconfig-ultimate on Ubuntu?
>>
>>56454768
>not installing wifi tools and getting around the proprietary network hooey
summer pls go
>>
>>56455524
https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archive/ubuntu/infinaltimate
>>
Has anyone ever set up some kind of cloud storage solution on their home server? I want to move away from GDrive and Dropbox. Not really looking for actual application suggestions, just general thoughts into the matter.
>>
>>56455584
yea, i use syncthing for syncing things like photos between my phone and desktop, and documents between my desktop and laptop
for accessing anything else remotely, i use ssh

both for privacy and practical reasons, even if i wanted to upload personal data to some third party (i don't), my home upload speed is ~800kbps, which makes uploading anything large just not an option
>>
any reason why my thinkpad doesn't get the same speeds on wifi as it gets plugged into the router directly?
>>
>>56454863
does anyone have any experience with anything remotely related to mailman?
It cannot send emails, it cannot work with apache.
Both works fine on their own.
There must be a way to get something more useful out than "nope" from the logs.
>>
>>56455692
wifi a shit, only use it when wired isn't an option
>>
So I recently ran into screen tearing problems when I installed arch. It was pretty much fixed when I followed this guide:
http://gloriouseggroll.tv/2016-arch-linux-nvidia-get-rid-of-screen-tearing-and-stuttering/

Now I get some sort of video stutter every time I watch one. There isn 't any tearing, the videos just don't feel smooth when they are panning around. They lag behind bit by bit. I'm not really sure how to fix this so if anyone could help that would be great.
>>
>>56455760
holy shit that's retardedly overkill
no wonder it doesn't feel smooth

just the ForceFullCompositionPipeline is enough
compton with xrender backend and vsync set to none
>>
>>56455927
Do I still have to enable triple buffering?
>>
gnu.org is down... Is the projekt kill?
>>
File: Screenshot+2016-09-06+08.56.06.png (26KB, 641x516px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot+2016-09-06+08.56.06.png
26KB, 641x516px
Every time I install Linux in a VM it runs fine for a few days and then this happens. Is there any way to fix this? It's getting tedious to have to reinstall it every time.
>>
>>56455990
Just give up and use mutter. The only decent compositor in Linux with Nvidia.
>>
>>56456073
fix what?
>>
>>56456019
It's been down in the past, servers have issues at times. I'm sure people at FSF are freaking out and it'll be fixed shortly.
>>
>>56456073
login, what's the problem here? did you have a graphical environment before?
>>
File: 1338868578519.jpg (170KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1338868578519.jpg
170KB, 1024x768px
I need to install Linux on a 13.3" 1080p screen and default scaling may be too small for me. Anyone knows have any experience using hiDPI scaling on the same resolution/size and which DE is the best? I'll be using *buntu.
>>
>installs mpv
>tries to run it
>'error: segmentation fault'

What to do?
>>
>>56456116
Not being able to log in and not having a login GUI

>>56456129
Yup, logging in with my account and password doesn't work.
>>
>>56456137
install gentoo
>>
>>56456137
What distro and installation method are you using?
>>
>>56456151
so the keyboard doesn't respond?
>>
>>56456137
are you on an unstable repo?
because a segmentation fault is usually caused by the programmer.
>>
>>56456173
No, it tells me the login is incorrect. It's not supposed to say localhost but I have no idea what causes it
>>
>>56456171
Debian Sid, through apt.

>>56456187
Yes, I'll see if downgrading the packages to stable will do.
>>
Is there a way to customize the display manager's lock screen?

I'm using XDM because it loads custom startx but it looks like complete dogshit. I'm actually embarrassed to be running it.

Is there a way to rice it or are there good-looking DMs that will load my custom startx?
>>
>>56456094
It doesn't feel like it's a problem with my comp manager. If I don't use one at all, theres still stuttering. I tried two other ones, which still gave me video stuttering and brought back screen tearing in firefox.

Compton seems to just werk for me, but right now I feel like ths is a driver issue and not the problem with my wm/de/comp manager.
>>
File: CopyofIMG_3067.jpg (209KB, 957x768px) Image search: [Google]
CopyofIMG_3067.jpg
209KB, 957x768px
>Due to USB 3.0 controller limitation, USB 3.0 devices can only be used under Windows OS environment and after the USB 3.0 driver installation.
Should I really trust this information? I can't believe that GNU/Linux don't have a solution for this problem!
>>
I'm on a fresh gentoo installation and my apropos doesn't work.
the command exists and runs, but it doesn't actually find any docs.
I tried it with docs of commands I actually have installed, but apropos doesn't find any.
where did i fuck up here, I really need apropos.
>>
File: asian.jpg (235KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
asian.jpg
235KB, 681x1024px
>>56456245
Somebody answer me.
>>
>>56456293
i'm assuming that's motherboard manual text, and that it's referring to the inability to use USB keyboards or flash drives from the BIOS when plugged into USB 3.0 ports
>>
>>56456171
>>56456187
'Downgrading' the packages from Sid to Stretch worked fine. Thanks.
>>
>>56456337
sddm looks pretty nice IMO

you can change the background through config files
>>
Can someone please tell me how should i phrase an ntfsundelete command to send the undeleted files to a specific directory?
>>
>>56456270
I thought the same before I've tried everything. I've searched for weeks, trying every single configurations for Compton, forcefullcomposition pipeline, triple buffering... Literally everything. The only decent thing I've got is with gnome 3 and unity.
>>
>tfw downloading java
>tfw I miss windows "just werking"
>>
>>56456703
Just tried GNOME.

No difference in performance between it and my kde/openbox setup. Guess I'll stick with my current one and look around for a fix. Problem is, I don't get screen tearing. Just some dumb video lag when it is moving really fast.
>>
>love my desktop and want to share it
>desktop threads are dead
woe is me
>>
>>56457081
>>>/wg/
>>
>>56457081
It's still amusing, seeing the whole board violaing every sticky rule, but /desktops/ (which were basically just linux-ricing threads) got removed. Personally, I'd rather deal with anime crap and nice desktops than with all that consume whoring buy/bought/shoulIbuy/hefellfor/nvidia/nothingtohide/speccy trash.

/blog
>>
File: 1473167969265.jpg (109KB, 1200x1198px) Image search: [Google]
1473167969265.jpg
109KB, 1200x1198px
>install debian stable
>add repos but shit won't update them
>upgrade to testing
>fixed the repos but shit hangs on boot
>>
>>56457243
make the boot process verbose and see exactly what it hangs on
>>
>>56457218
agreed but there will always be people who absolutely resent these anime rice threads even though they are on an anime website
>>
Why shouldn't I switch to BSD?
>>
>>56457298
have fun using the only applications available: a calculator and a web browser
>>
>>56457298
you may not like the licencing or the incompetent security teams of freeBSD, but it is honestly your choice. if you have to go round asking 'why should i do this' or that dumb 'redpill me' thing, you don't have a reason to use it
>>
>>56457298
Afaik the codebase is pretty lightweight. Maybe for a small server?
>>
File: 1472348276919.png (112KB, 1209x699px) Image search: [Google]
1472348276919.png
112KB, 1209x699px
>>56457298
>>
>>56457391

>lightweight
>small server

Could you be any more buzzword or buzzphrase? Why even post inane drivel like that? What do you get out of it?
>>
>installing gentoo
>for two weeks and going
It's not even half as complicated as it's hyped up to be, it's just that every time I power on the display I'm overcome by this huge wave of boredom.
I've been using this shitty little HP Mini all this time.

end of blogpost
>>
>>56457815
i always had trouble with portage being picky & fussy and never figured out how to use the sets updater thing properly and confused me. steam had those annoying library conflicts too
>>
>>56457815
I love gentoo.
>>
>>56457815
>two weeks
hahaha Gentoo = timesink
>>
>>56457857
it took me a day to get it setup, it's not that much of a time sink after the initial install. Updates take longer but it's not like you can't use your PC while updating. It's not a big deal.
>>
>>56443684
I custom compiled a new kernel because driver support is pretty bad on my computer (old-ish nVidia laptop, shoddy wifi drivers, etc.). The new kernel takes a while to boot compared to the stock one (about 10 seconds). What can I do to fix this?

I used the old config-* file from the stock kernel (4.4.0, Ubuntu) on the new one (4.7.2)
>>
>>56443858
That only applies to Unity, their default desktop environment. I use Ubuntu Server with i3 installed on top of it plus essentials like pulseaudio and it is essentially botnet free. If you really are pedantic about this, then install Gentoo (really not that bad once you understand how it works and can wait hours for compiling to finish).
>>
>>56457857
I turn on the display once a day, backspace a couple spaces I accidentally smacked in when I put something on the desk, then I turn the screen off and go about my business again.

end me
>>
>>56446484
>implying it isn't
>>56446876
that looks pretty cool.
>>56447595
In fairness, gaming on Linux isn't a thing yet, and virtually all of these cards have enough standards support to work with VESA framebuffers
>>56453332
see above answer
>>56454768
>trusting /g/ on software choices
Ouch, just install Ubuntu. I use Wicd and everything works out of the box, but it wasn't always that way.
>>
How do people deal with the lack of microcode updates on freetard distros?
>>
>>56456293
I bought a USB 3.1 PCIe card and it works at 3.0 speeds currently (5Gbps). Full support for 3.1 isn't out yet, but it isn't far off
>>
>>56458124
>gaming on Linux isn't a thing
Not all games require ebin graphic cards.
>>
>>56458136
Microcode can be loaded and installed in Linux. Anything that can't probably has a DOS loader like thing that works with FreeDOS.
>>
>>56458161
Indeed it can, but that isn't what he's asking.
>>
How do I find out which nvidia drivers I am using?

I think that I installed the nouveau drivers, but since I'm having issues I was considering using nvidia's drivers instead to see if my issues are fixed.

Also the arch wiki says not to use nvidia-xconfig command, so should I just delete my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? Should I be using the nvidia-settings GUI and then exporting the settings?
>>
>>56454768
>UHHHHHH MAYBE IT';S USER ERROR BRO MAYBE YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO WINDOWS LMFAO HAHAHA LOL

I've had people tell me that bugs (happily acknowledged as known bugs by distro admins) like the system intentionally misnaming ethernet connections causing the entire network to shit the bed is down to "user error".

The whole thing is a cult.
>>
>>56458160
They do need software support for it. Having said that, LLVMpipe is endlessly based for providing OpenGL 3.3 on the CPU, because that actually works for a surprising amount of games.
>>56458189
lsmod | grep drm
>>
>>56458210
Maybe you should try BSD.
>>
File: 201603_1131_bfdcb_sm.png (24KB, 300x255px) Image search: [Google]
201603_1131_bfdcb_sm.png
24KB, 300x255px
I tried GNU/Linux for the first time.

Intalled Debian KDE, did not like the look of it and the fact that stuff comes installed with it already. WIFI card was not working either.

Now want to try Arch because I've seen a lot of people here using it.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>56458316
>I tried GNU/Linux for the first time.
>Arch
dude just fucking use ubuntu and uninstall some of the shit it comes with
>>
>>56458316
>doesn't like stuff coming pre-installed
Gentoo is probably more your speed.
>>
>>56458316
I wouldn't recommend Arch if you're trying Linux for the first time. Try Manjaro if want the Arch stuff but without an autistic installation/setup process.
>>
>>56458316
i have a feeling you are gonna have a bad time realizing your wifi is not working after an arch install so you may want to install kubuntu (if you want kde ofc) and just learn to remove shit you dont want without breaking your system. This is just my feeling tho.
>>
>>56458364
>Try Manjaro if want the Arch stuff but without an autistic installation/setup process.
Even without that stuff, to setup shit you're still going to be needing to hit the Arch wiki often, and I've seen a number of posts from people using Antergos or Manjaro that can't even do simple shit like google a common problem or use systemctl, even in this thread.

I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near Arch or Arch-based distros for the first time.
>>
File: 1472752820147.jpg (14KB, 399x295px) Image search: [Google]
1472752820147.jpg
14KB, 399x295px
firewalld locks me out from accessing my windows network/samba shares despite the fact that the current connection zone allows samba-client services.

shutting down firewalld.service magically fixes the issue.

wireshark reports
42    21.198178309    192.168.1.108    192.168.1.102    ICMP    132    Destination unreachable (Host administratively prohibited)

any ideas?

It has worked before, but I haven't used this machine in some time, and updated few days ago.
>>
>>56458406
You're probably right, I've never used Manjaro.
>>
>>56458316
look for screenshots of all the major DEs if you dislike KDE. or start ricing KDE, it's extremely customizable.
Debian is about as lightweight as a noob friendly distro is going to get. your alternatives are ubuntu and fedora, which are both "heavier".

If you don't like the default DE your distro comes with you can just install the one you want via package manager and use that instead, so don't be put off by a distro just because it doesn't come with the DE you want.
>>
>>56458406
I do recommend the Arch Wiki as a general guide for how things are done and how they work. It is like a Bible
>>
>>56458316
Don't listen to them, Arch is pretty easy, even a retard can install it (proven million times in this thread), just follow the beginner guide and you're in.
>>
>>56458437
Bible isn't any of those things you mentioned.
>inb4 maximum tipping
>>
>>56458437
Oh, I don't disagree, it works for any distro. I'm just saying that really simple things some other distributions do by default, most Arch/Arch-based ones don't do. It's not like it's really hard and if you're already pretty use to using it, it's whatever, but for somebody who is new, he's going to wonder why installing network manager didn't put it in his tray or something.
>>
File: 1436475825098.png (608KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1436475825098.png
608KB, 1600x900px
Thanks for the replies guys.

>>56458347
Forgot to say >inb4 install gentoo

>>56458341
>>56458375
>>56458430
Thanks guys I might try out ubuntu or kubuntu. All I want is to have an autistic-looking desktop. Pic related.
>>
->
-> >>56458541
->
>>
>>56458447
It's "pretty easy" if you already have a basic understand of how Linux works which a person trying Linux for the first time won't have.
>>
There is no sound all of a sudden for my debian system. It had working sound before, but now it won't play any sound at all.

Where do I even start troubleshooting this?
>>
>>56458624
Make sure sound isn't muted, either on alsamixer or pavucontrol or whatever you're using to manage sound.
>>
>>56458624
reboot
>>
>>56458684
Go away winbabby.
>>
>>56458662
Thanks, It showed me that it was unmuted in the volume level thing on my screen, but when I went into alsamixer on the terminal everything was muted for some reason.

>>56458684
That didn't work.
>>
How do I make wifi work in Arch Linux? Normally I'd solve it myself but I'm tired and it's been three days and I need wifi working now. Does anyone here use Arch?
>>
File: biground.png (451KB, 545x733px) Image search: [Google]
biground.png
451KB, 545x733px
>>56459543
Somebody answer me.
>>
File: blonde.png (345KB, 576x762px) Image search: [Google]
blonde.png
345KB, 576x762px
>>56459813
Nevermind I just needed to set up NetworkManager.

Sorry I yelled.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.