[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 27

File: 1450336550154.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1450336550154.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
Previously on: >>56359076

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Looking for a distro that is light, dont need much complicated things to do on a daily basis. I used mate. I kinda like idea of arch being up to date all the time but i have no clue what graphical environment i should get that would be suitable.
>>
File: cry.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
cry.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Still looking for help.... I updated my Linux. Now, whenever I run anything, I get segfaults.

Sep  1 13:12:38 forethought kernel: [  510.922907] chromium-browse[5815]: segfault at 7ffdc394aff8 ip 00007ff95e6a3406 sp 00007ffdc394b000 error 6 in libbase.so[7ff95e559000+196000]
Sep 1 13:13:15 forethought kernel: [ 548.379742] chromium-browse[6020]: segfault at 7ffc5e9a7ff8 ip 00007f26b23ad402 sp 00007ffc5e9a8000 error 6 in libbase.so[7f26b2263000+196000]

WTF do I do now? :(
>>
>>56376019
Up to date is a very subjective term.
Debian unstable is nice.
DEs and WMs are also very subjective, I would suggest you to try a few before deciding.
>>
File: aa.jpg (30KB, 648x394px) Image search: [Google]
aa.jpg
30KB, 648x394px
Is it possible to make a setup like pic related?

I think i should make a lvm and then encrypt it but according to the arch wiki with the "LVM on LUKS method" i can't use multiple disks and with the "LUKS on LVM" method i need a single password for every volume.
>>
>>56376045
install gentoo
>>
>>56376129
I would just like to interject for one moment. The operating system you are suggesting for me to install, and rather commandingly might I add, will in fact, not directly solve my current problem at hand, and will actually cause me to ask further questions about the difficult process involved in installing it. Gentoo is a very nice operating system itself, but I'd rather you directly assist me in my quest to solve my current predicament.

I understand that many computer users run the Gentoo Linux operating system, and I realize they may enjoy it greatly and are not currently experiencing the current problem that I have whilst using my non-Gentoo operating system. Through a peculiar turn of events, I have noticed an enormous amount of users make the "Install Gentoo" suggestion, but many of its users are not aware that this suggestion, in most cases, is actually not an "easy-fix" to every single computer-related error.

There really are reasons for installing Gentoo, and there are people using it, but it is just for the few users who choose to compile their own source code locally according to their chosen configuration. Gentoo is just another operating system: the problems I am experiencing will not undeviatingly be solved if I make the choice to install it. All these so-called "Install Gentoo" suggestions I am noticing should cease immediately.
>>
>>56376069
I like minimalistic aspect od WM but i think DE would be needed to make my work more convinient. I would stay with mint mate but its far from being up to date and everyone glorify arch.
>>
>>56376176
Who the hell glorifies arch?
My usage is most convenient with dwm, but it really depends on your workflow and preferences.
>>
>>56376176
Mint has serious problems.
https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/

And Arch being lightweight is a meme, it's repo is actually more bloated with source headers and the kernel comes with all modules enabled. I'd suggest a Debian netinstall and upgrade to Sid.
>>
when will there be an openbox equivalent for wayland?
>>
>>56376285
People confuse "simple" with "lightweight", that's all.
>>
>>56376354
>>56376285
Arch is nice, fuck off.
>>
>>56376441
Didn't say it's bad, I just said it isn't lightweight.
>>
File: Unix-Linux Command Reference.png (327KB, 749x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Unix-Linux Command Reference.png
327KB, 749x1000px
>>
>>56376460
>isn't lightweight
I forget that 99% of /g/ uses their mommy's hand-me-down 2001 Dell computers until I see shit like this.
>>
>>56376230
Will i be able to use eclipse ide for instance with dwm actually?
>>
>>56376045
Boot in to a new different kernel. You were already told this.
List what you updated.
>>
I've been trying to do a basic wget command to download all images from a booru, with a recursive level of 3. (/posts, /post, /imagedata). Nothing I've tried seems to work. Seriously. Can someone help?

I just want it to be a simple command -- if it can't be a simple command, just tell me that, please.
>>
>>56376609
This has nothing to do with that. People on /g/ constantly pretend arch is lightweight when it really isn't. People spouting misinformation are the worst.
>>
>>56376651
DE/WM doesn't care about programs you run. You can basically run a program without and window manager, just by using an X display.
>>
>>56376651
Of course. If you need floating just make that program float by default in config.h or switch to floating mode before opening it.
>>
>>56376609
Do you know why Arch users always have a low package count? It's because development headers, source code and everything is included in one big package.
>>
>>56376675
What command exactly did you try?
You want to learn right? There is no point in just giving you a ready command if you want to learn so please provide more info.
>>
>>56376736
And libraries are Included in packages instead of being packages themselves.
>>
>>56376736
on debian we have -dev packages for that, got a lot of these, current pkg count is about 2k
>>
>>56376747
I've looked at arguments. I've tried over 20 iterations of arguments.

-D[boorudomain] as one, -e robots=off or whatever, -r -l 3 (which is the depth i think i need? though it tries to connect to tumblr sources; i cant figure out how to filter to only a specific subdomain [such as /data/])
i have to use --no-check-certificate, for some reason, but yeah

I mean...
I think -k converts filetypes?
I accidentally left a script going but there's no .png, .jpg, etc. All blank filenames, with this script:

-r -l 3 --no-check-certificate http://[booru].net

also
wget -H -D[booru].net -e robots=off -r -I /data/ -l 2 -A jpeg,j
pg,bmp,gif,png --no-check-certificate http://[booru].net/post/

Note: [booru] is replaced with my booru of choice which i will not reveal, but it's probably fairly obvious why
>>
>>56376736
>source code
No, for fuck's sake.

>development headers
What a concept, including the dev headers for a fucking library like the fucking source package installs instead of splitting that shit off and inflating the package count.

>>56376763
Wrong.

Seriously, the hell are you people smoking? Learn2GNU, Debian isn't the fucking be-all, end-all of GNU. apt is a buggy, slow mess and it always has to fuck with upstream just to get it all working.
>>
>>56376851
Never had a bug in aptitude using sid.
I would rather inflate package count than package content.
Of course debian is not perfect, but is sure is not any less perfect than arch.
>>
>>56375894
>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

nothing but trouble and massive waste of precious time
>>
>>56376851
>apt is a buggy, slow mess
Memers not welcome. Friendly thread.
>>
>>56376347

March 2019.
>>
How do I get invited into the IRC?
>>
>>56375894
>tfw gtx 950
>tfw debian testing won't load drivers
Why the fuck is this a problem with a year old graphics card?
>>
>>56377638
ignore the irc, that's not us, it's just a link to stupid question thread, op should it remove already
>>
>>56377762
>using Debian with anything but ancient hardware
For what purpose?
>>
>>56376569
>linux commands
>actually gnu programs
wew
>>
>>56377762
install gentoo
>>
>>56377762
>he fell for the Debian meme
>>
I'd like to compile my first program and the chosen one is mpv. Any hints what I need to do?

I already installed git and learned the commands.
>>
>>56377823
fuck off neo /g/
>>
>>56377762
I'm running Jessie Stable with the same card. Must be a Stretch problem.
>>
>>56377762
Welcome to my world.

t. AMD user
>>
>>56377762
>testing
Found your problem.
>>
>>56377762
Ubuntu is a better choice for modern hardware.
>>
>>56377762
>tfw sid is more stable than stretch
lol@you
>>
Posting from ICE weasel on my live version of Debian LXDE.
I've got shit resoultion and have tried to fix this shit racking my brain.
I'm very new to linux but after hours of searching I came to the one place I knew could help me.

Here's my problem
user@debian:~$ xrandr -q
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
1024x768 61.00*
800x600 61.00
640x480 60.00
user@debian:~$ xrandr --addmode HDMI1 1024x768_61.00
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
xrandr: cannot find output "HDMI1"

Is it just because I'm on a live version?
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking for something like Subgraph OS, but for a 32-bit machine. Any recommendations? Alternatively, settings/packages for a Ubuntu machine to make it better for privacy and anonymity would also work.

Thanks for tolerating my rank novice-ness
>>
>>56377832
>Any hints what I need to do?
Read the README.md
It's all there
>>
>>56378002
>debian
lol at newfags still falling for it
>>
Hello. I got Gentoo running on an old machine, and wanted to install LXDE, I merged the lxde-meta package and put 'exec lxde' into ~/.xinitrc but whenever I use startx it says it can't find LXDE. Did I do something wrong? Xorg works fine without the 'exec lxde' in the file
>>
>>56377762
>newfags getting owned by the Debian meme all day
Gets me every time!
>>
>>56378075
So should I just install gentoo? :^)
>>
>>56378119
Yes.
>>
>>56378107
>gentoo user
>can't even start a desktop environment
shameful
>>
>>56377762
did you read the wiki and/or install from experimental?
>>
>>56377762
RTFM
Debian is not special-ed Linux. Try Ubuntu.
>>
>>56377762
Hahahahaha get fuckd freetard.
>>
>>56376657
>Boot in to a new different kernel. You were already told this.
That didn't do shit! Every kernel I booted to from Grub was giving me same errors.

You know what it was? It was a fucking icon theme that I installed.

A FUCKING ICON THEME WAS CAUSING SEGFAULTS OF THE WHOLE OS!

After I removed cursors and fucked around with

sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme

I was able to restart and start launching gnome apps.

Linux is a fucking joke. It's EXTREMELY BRITTLE. A fucking icon set can cause the whole WM to segfault! Fucking insane.

Anyway, I need to find a better distro or maybe change up and install FreeBSD or something else that doesn't crash over a fucking cursor.

I've had so many issues with Linux, it's not even funny. Susyemd can't even launch reliably a service after every boot! I installed dnscrypt and Systemd manages to launch it maybe once out of every 5 times I boot. I have to manually start it other times. And there's no errors with it whatsoever either. Systemd is just retarded like that.

Ugh.

What a fucking mess and what a time sink :(
>>
>>56378188
assuming you have an xorg config in place, did you try unloading any open source modules or checking if they're running (iirc, it'd called nouveau?)?

i know the questions i'm asking are obvious ones, i'm just making sure
>>
>>56378207
>hating on freedom
What is wrong with you
>>
When did the average age of people in this thread fall below 12 years? Can you fuckhead stop with your distro memes? You just look childisch..
>>
>>56378224
>update-alternatives
>using debian or a debian-based distro
found your problem
>>
>>56378260
blame the arch babies
>>
>>56378267
That's what I >>56378260 mean. How is crap like this useful? Fuck off to 9gag faggot.
>>
>>56378260
it's the same faggot spamming the thread over and over again
you're better off just ignoring or reporting at this point
>>
/fglt/ cycle:
>broken debian post
>people starts shitting on debian
>debian fags shilling and damage control
>newfags fall for the debian meme
>repeat
>>
>>56378267
>found your problem
You guys always shift the blame around. If you're using Ubuntu/Debiant, it's their fault and you should have installed Arch. If you're using Arch, it's Arch's fault you should have installed Gentoo. If there's a problem with Gentoo, you should have installed Slack. If ther'es a problem with Slack, you should have installed Fedora and if there's a problem with Fedora, you should have installed Ubuntu. And the circle continues.

Problem is a lot deeper than that. X11 is just so fucking brittle.

No matter what distro you use, you'll have tons of weird issues that you'll have to waste hours on.

I need a POSIX system so I'm stuck with this shit. Wish I had cash for a Mac. I'm now thinking about Win10 and Ubuntu sublayer but that's a giant piece of shit and not even networking works.

So I guess I'm stuck with this shit for now and won't touch any of the settings or themes because I might lose everything.
>>
>>56378272
arch-schoolboys
>>
I need a recommendation on what distro I should use. I browse the internet a lot, play some light games such as Minecraft, and looking to start getting into Java programming. It should also be easy to dual boot with.

Which distro should I use? I'm currently on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016. I have a bit of experience with GNU/Linux, but haven't ever fully went balls deep to use it. Thanks.
>>
>>56378373
There could be a lot of things, for example wrong permissions on icon files, so Chrome couldn't read'em. To blame whole community of developers from kernel to icon themes because you can't tune it doesn't look smart either, lad.
>>
>>56378399
Mint or Manjaro.
>>
>>56378399

Every distribution will work equally for you.
None of your requirements are related to a distribution's specific attributes.

That applies to 97% of all the posts like yours.
>>
>>56378457
Shite or urine.
>>
>>56378430
>There could be a lot of things, for example wrong permissions on icon files, so Chrome couldn't read'em.
Permissions were correct, 755. And issue was not only Chromium but every Gnome application that I tried.

Aside from systemd not starting services, I've also had weird issues of my network stack just disappearing. My ethernet and wireless just doesn't show up and only loopback adapter is present. No matter what I do, I can't bring those back. Only a reboot fixes it.

Everything is just very brittle and unreliable. :(
>>
I don't know where to ask this.

What's the fastest way to blank a line in vi/vim?
Currently I'm doing "dd" to delete the line and then "o escape" to insert an empty line and go into normal mode. Is there something which would blank the whole line with just one combo? Is there a built in, proper solution or do I have to create a simple function?
>>
>>56378515
D

ps: vimtutor you need it.
>>
Failed to detect gamma for output blah blah.
Tried to add mode same error.
Can never find my output query says screen0 but add mode and new mode are shit all.
Errors galore just trying to setup my resolution.
>>
>>56377762
Look man, this isn't a joke or a meme. Debian is a terrible distro for desktop users.
>>
>>56378224
Please go to BSD so we don't have to listen to your moaning.
I've been using linux for many years and I've never had, or ever heard of, a breakage like you had from an icon set. You did something fucked up to cause that or the icon theme you installed was horrifically incomplete. Brittle? A program goes to find something it relies and and doesn't find it or there is corruption in it, program segfaults. Sounds like common sense to me.
>>
>>56378789
>or ever heard of, a breakage like you had from an icon set. You did something fucked up to cause that or the icon theme you installed was horrifically incomplete.
STFU

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010223

When a fucking icon breaks the OS, you know it's fucking brittle. Something like that is impossible on Win or OSX.
>>
>>56377762
>Dedbian
LMAO
>>
What are some cool things you can do with Linux Deploy on Android?

I have it all installed, I ssh in and am at a loss what to do now.
>>
>>56377257
Not him, but apt is a piece of shit
>>
>>56378852
>I found another retard with the same problem on ubuntu

>corrupted
Any OS will have problems if there is corruption.
Now fuck off to Win or OSX, please.
>>
>>56378923
It's not corrupted you retard. Issue was with priority. You don't know anything. Stay out of conversations you can't back up with facts.

And I fucking guarantee you that Win/Mac would not segfault every application even if you managed to somehow corrupt the cursor. Cursor is not handled on the app level you stupid dolt.

>Now fuck off to Win or OSX, please.
Make me.
>>
>>56378970
This is the friendly GNU/Linux thread, please be nice :(
>>
>>56378544

That works if my cursor is at the beginning of the line. I was hoping there would be something which can do it from wherever I am on the line.
I guess I'll have to settle with 0D then.
>>
>>56378970
It happened for a reason anon, it's not magic. If a program relies on something and that something is broken or corrupt then it won't work, this is common sense. Windows and Mac use a different system regarding shared libraries so it makes little sense to compare, but the principle is the same, if something relied upon is corrupt then it won't work.

>>56378970
>Make me.
Wow, I haven't heard that since I was 11.
>>
>emerge texlive
>now downloading 250MB worth of packages
Fuck everything.
>>
what's a good linux distro if i hate myself and want to die every fucking day

i tried looking on the fglt website, but they didn't have any recommendations for whimpy faggots
>>
>>56378852

>try to install icon theme on windows
>download and run some sketchy .dll file because that's the only way to change them
>am now part of 10 botnets or the operating system breaks

There, that would be the WIndows version of your problem.
>>
>>56379059
You sound perfect for Arch.
>>
>>56379073
thanks, senpai
>>
I did a mini.iso install of Ubuntu where you pick the packages you want installed during installation and only chose MATE desktop.

Is that ultimately the exact same thing as using the full UbuntuMATE distro straight away?
>>
>>56379059
Arch. You'll fill the void in your soul with pointless and endless tinkering.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 160x240px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 160x240px
>>56379059
Debian

See >>56377762
>>
>>56379095
my gpu is even newer than his is, too

sounds almost perfect between that and arch

thanks, senpais
>>
>>56379059
gentoo
>>
>>56375894
I just installed Plank. Is there an option to make it's background 3D like on Docky?
>>
>>56377762
>Why the fuck is this a problem with a year old graphics card?
>Debian

Found your problem
>>
What is the best Scheme interpreter for Linux? Tinyscheme looked comfy at first but turns out to be a total piece of shit.
>>
>>56378852
It's actually possible on Windows, where hacking the system DLLs is the only way to implement themes. If it corrupts, well, good fucking luck finding the original DLL, you can't "uninstall" the theme (unless you use ThemeResourceChanger, but that's another history)
>>
>>56378457
>recommening Mint
Do you live under a stone or are you just new to tech in general? Mint is a complete security desaster, not speaking of package highjacking and getting their website hacked.
>>
>>56378915
its not, fellow memerkid
>>
>>56379214
>t. 12 year old 9gagger
>>
>>56379352
Dev of Arch also got hacked.

Just because they suck at website management doesnt mean that Mint is not secure.

Mint is based off Ubuntu. Ubuntu has pretty good security.

Mint itself has no security issues.

Stop spreading bullshit you autist!
>>
>>56379392
Truth hurts, doesn't it

Reminder that you only run Debian if you got hardware from the last century
>>
>>56379371
I'm not your fellow memerkid
>>
>>56379411
>Mint is based off Ubuntu.
>Mint itself has no security issues.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

tl;dr Mint devs blacklist packages, including security ones regularly. It's a hacky unprofessional mess at the whim of pretty much a single individual. Use either Debian or Ubuntu instead.
>>
>>56379508
Name someone who ever got hacked because they ran Mint on their desktop.

Again, this is all autistic FUD.
>>
File: 1460060710606.png (30KB, 353x296px) Image search: [Google]
1460060710606.png
30KB, 353x296px
>people hate on Debian
>recommend Mint
>>
File: 1467015458578.jpg (152KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1467015458578.jpg
152KB, 1200x900px
>>56379508
>>56379558
gee I wonder who could be behind these posts
>>
>>56379232
Chicken?
>>
>>56379536
What a great argument! Truly convinced me. installing Mint right now.
>>
>>56379508
>Block untested updates for a week
>wow omg I get haxed on that 7 days
>>
>>56379536
Well, I guess everyone who downloaded the backdoored isos? Then again, the last critical kernel vunerability is just some weeks old and the Mint kernel doesn't get updates. Mint is a complete desaster. See: https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
Packages marked with 4 or 5 are considered "dangerous" and never get updates, the user can update manually but this will break the system.
>>
>>56379508
>written by a java developer
DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

try again.
>>
>>56376105
pls respond ;-;
>>
>>56379631
it just werks
>>
>>56378649
I'm still waiting on an answer to this.
>>
>>56379029
write a mapping bruh, that's what the vimrc is for.
>>
>>56379678
no it doesn't

> while they import packages from Ubuntu or Debian, they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which supposedly means "Mint Display Manager". However, the problem is that there already is a package "mdm" in Debian which are "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting". Thus, on Mint, the original "mdm" package cannot be installed

more fun here: https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>56379631
That's because Mint has 1 (one) full-time maintainer.

https://www.linuxmint.com/teams.php

How people keep recommending these bullshit hobby distros to beginners boggles my mind. It's not wonder so many people have bad first experiences with linux.
>>
>>56379631
>Ubuntu LTS kernel doesn't get updates
>>
>>56379795
It really doesn't, did you check the linked blacklist?
>>
>>56379814
It delays, not cancels the updates.
>>
>>56379667
You don't even need to type a password for LUKS-encrypted volumes, just use a keyfile. But why do you want to use "LUKS on LVM method", what advantages does it offer over "LVM on LUKS"?
>>
File: 1448570819063.png (95KB, 650x309px) Image search: [Google]
1448570819063.png
95KB, 650x309px
>>56379845
>>
>>56379894
dbus|*|4||
*xorg|*|4||
acpid|*|4||
mountall|*|4||
mesa|*|4||
systemd|*|4||
plymouth|*|4||
upstart|*|4||
*base-files|*|5||
*linux-|*|5||
linux|*|5||
grub|*|5||
grub2|*|5||
virtualbox|5.0.4-dfsg-2|5||
>>
>>56379894
>>56379917
You are not disagreeing to my post here >>56379845
>>
>>56376747
Fuck you man, tell me to tell you shit then don't respond
>>
>>56379885
I just want to set up something like this >>56376105, everything encrypted aside from the boot and efi partition and a single password to unlock everything but i'm sort of new to Linux so i decided to do some research but don't know what the hell am i doing.
>>
>>56376441
>Arch
>Until pacman version 4.0.0[21] Arch Linux's package manager lacked support for signed packages.[22] Packages and metadata were not verified for authenticity by pacman during the download-install process. Without package authentication checking, tampered-with or malicious repository mirrors can compromise the integrity of a system.[23] Pacman 4 allowed verification of the package database and packages, but it was disabled by default. In November 2011 package signing became mandatory for new package builds, and as of 21 March 2012 every official package is signed.[24]

>In June 2012, package signing verification became official and is now enabled by default in the installation process.[25][26]

well done
>>
>>56380047
And? Apt was late in getting signed packages as well. Also

Pacman can uninstall GNOME :^)
>>
>>56380069
So can apt.
>inb4 no
Yes, if you're not a retard and install gnome, not gnome-core, which isn't the DE package. :^)
>>
>>56380069
>>56380098
Here we go again.
>>
>>56380098
thank god, someone listend to me in the last threads
>>56380069
kys memer
>>
I just built a dedicated 24/7 sever, just for media stuff and backups. What's some cool stuff to try?
I was thinking about trying madsonic, emby and owncloud.
>>
>>56380098
Don't make me upload another video :^)

Pacman can ALSO uninstall KDE-meta :^^)
>>
>>56379983
Do you have multiple disk drives?
>>
>>56380135
Yes, an ssd and a hard drive.
>>
>>56380122
>I'm such a huge memer, I intentionally install packages the wrong way to fuck with apt so I can meme on /fglt/
what a meanful life
>>
>>56380122
So does zypper :^)
>>
>>56380199
>Installing gnome will solve this problem

I'll make a video tomorrow :^)
>>
>>56380200
So does dnf :^)
>>
BSD fag here I came here to post
>pkg can uninstall gnome

:^)
>>
>>56379059
Linux from scratch
>>
>>56376105
If you want a crappy method that I may or may not use, use LVM on LUKS on the first drive, then another with just LUKS on the sdb. The second will be opened by a key-file. In crypttab it will list the entry with the path to the file.

It will go something like
- Enter password, LUKS on sda opened and filesystems mounted
- In cryptsetup it will try to open the sdb with the pass file provided
- It will work and will be mounted according to fstab

Exactly one password is needed.

This is what >>56379885 said.

Obviously not the most secure method.
>>
>>56379086
Please respond
>>
File: 1467167537894.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1467167537894.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
Honestly, what's the point of debian?

>Arch/Fedora gets new buggy packages
>People rant over it

>Arch/Fedora gets a newer set of packages, some bugs fixed
>packages are passed down to Ubunu/Debian testing
>People rant over the EXACT same issues
>Packages passed down to debian "stable"

>Debian "stable" users get stuck with the bug for 4 years while others are getting bugfixes in regular basis
>""Debian stable will fix all my bugs on my dad's desktop from the 70's""
>>
>>56380328
>>56379086
Yes, they are exactly the same
You can install MATE-core but remember that it's a one-way route. You can't install MATE packages thanks to apt being a decades old dumb package manager
>>
>>56380385
lmao this guy
>>
I'm considering upgrading from Mint but one of the things I really like about it is VPN setup. I need this for work and it must be easy to switch on and off. I also must be able to easily import ovpn file that my company's IT staff gives me.

See pic to see how easy it is to do in Mint.

Can I do something as simple in Arch?
>>
I cant seem to rm a folder it keeps popping back up. How do I delete this or find out what keeps recreating it?
>>
>>56380541
>>56380541
Of course. But if you want ootb experience get manjaro or Antergos
>>
>>56377762
>Debian
Every
Fucking
Time
>>
>>56380187
I advise you to use a single password-encrypted keyfile to encrypt both of your drives. You can add this keyfile and a program needed to decrypt it in your initrd image, then decrypt both of your drives using trick like this:
cat ./your_encrypted_luks_keyfile | ccdecrypt | tee >(cryptsetup --allow-discards --key-file - luksOpen /dev/sda disk_1) | cryptsetup --key-file - luksOpen /dev/sdb disk_2
Using this method you can mount as many LUKS-encrypted volumes as you want with only one password request from system.
>>
>>56377762
Hey guys it's me the 950fag again. I installed Ubuntu and it works, but it's choppy as fuck under both Nouv and Proprietary drivers. What should I try next?

Are Debian based distros cancer now?
>>
>>56380752
Manjaro with non-free drivers
>>
>>56380752
>following advices from 12 year old kids
>>
>>56377762
>>56380752
Install Gentoo.

But in all seriousness: Yes, Debian and it's derivatives are now poisoned by social justice developers who care more about muh women and minorities in tech than continuing to deliver a solid project.
>>
File: 1470690948713.png (6KB, 196x50px) Image search: [Google]
1470690948713.png
6KB, 196x50px
Daily reminder that women matter.
https://archwomen.org/

If you're against opression, choose Arch Linux.
>>
>>56380795
>>56380837
Debian and Arch are truly cancerous. Gentoo is the only true path to freedom.
>>
>>56380837
Daily reminder that
1. Debian is THE SJW distro
2. Debian is the ONLY distro to link to "male programmer privilege checklist"
>>
File: 1455369987908.jpg (72KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
1455369987908.jpg
72KB, 1024x512px
>>56380784
>following advice from literal flaming SJW
>>
File: fortunecookie.png (6KB, 301x157px) Image search: [Google]
fortunecookie.png
6KB, 301x157px
>>56380837
DROPPED
>>
File: dw.png (13KB, 120x205px) Image search: [Google]
dw.png
13KB, 120x205px
Have you checked your privilege, yet?

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWomen
>>
File: 1443668877424.jpg (153KB, 410x973px) Image search: [Google]
1443668877424.jpg
153KB, 410x973px
He-oodbye.
>>
>>56377762
DEBIAN
E
B
I
A
N
>>
File: dw.png (98KB, 1296x276px) Image search: [Google]
dw.png
98KB, 1296x276px
Apologize
>>
File: 1467118755167.jpg (63KB, 452x536px) Image search: [Google]
1467118755167.jpg
63KB, 452x536px
Mods, please set us free and do the same to /fglt/ that you did to /desktop thread/. All hope is lost.
>>
>>56380987
mods are gay pedophiles
>>
File: 1463367249104.jpg (255KB, 2519x478px) Image search: [Google]
1463367249104.jpg
255KB, 2519x478px
>>56380987
Guess who started this

Hint: >>56380837
>>
>>56380987
You just need to insult their OS or something, just like someone insulted their desktop and got the desktop threads banned.
>>
>>56381035
>BUT MOM HE STARTED IT

Not to mention it's like this in EVERY thread.
>>
>>56380984
Is this real life?
>>
>>56380385
lmao this gay
>>
What are the best resources for learning bash scripting?
>>
>>56381133
there's a shell pasta in OP's ghostbin and on the /fglt/ website
>>
>>56381151
Oh, how silly of me to ask then.
>>
K&P -> man bash + a lot of practice -> http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashFAQ + even more practice
>>
File: 1472772390046.png (147KB, 1300x831px) Image search: [Google]
1472772390046.png
147KB, 1300x831px
Contributan. Debian shills have gotten way out of hand in recent days

>>56381166
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos
>>
Call truce? Ofc I don't represent the whole Arch community in /g/ and I do agree some Arch shitposters are insufferable.
>>
>>56380987
just ban everything but gpu threads. thats what everyone here seems to want
>>
>>56381196
Read the thread again. There were 20 shitpost replies to one post saying that some newer hardware doesn't work on 3.18 or whatever debian stable uses.
>>
>>56381233
Let's shake penises.
>>
File: shame.jpg (72KB, 670x1005px) Image search: [Google]
shame.jpg
72KB, 670x1005px
Noob programmer here.

Why is "Kernel programming" a thing, or wide spread. With many books about it.
How many people are needed to develop this stuff anymore.
And in any case, what I want to know:
Can I see some of this code. What does it look like. Links?
>>
>>56381300
Kernel.org
>>
>>56379558
It's /pol/, what did you expect?
>>
Going to give Linux a try, what is the best distro?
>>
>>56381504
Gentoo, but as a beginner try Ubuntu.
>>
>>56381300
who do you think maintains and improves your pc kernel? who do you think writes microkernels for every toilet, drone, and fucking refridgerator magnet out there? and yes, google linux source
>>
>>56381504
Arch Linux is best Linux to be honest.
>>
>>56381504
Gentoo > Arch > Fedora
>>
>>56381504
>>56381584
>>56379232
>>56379059
>>56378904
>>56378789
>>56378224
>>56378166
>>56378002
>>56377797
>>56376169

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: 1472693860377.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1472693860377.gif
1MB, 200x200px
next dubs get to choose my new username
>>
>>56377762
Second update from me 950fag.

Fedora didn't take. Also driver problems. Tried Lubuntu and it works alright, about as well as debian used to before the new card. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>56381690
donaldjtrump
>>
>>56381690
benis
>>
>>56381690
cancergif
>>
>>56381690
User-McUserface
>>
>>56381690
justice4trayvon
>>
>>56381698
master-masturbator
>>
>>56381698
Oh you poor bastard. You upgraded your hardware and downgraded your OS. Linux lol, not even once.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (114KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
114KB, 700x700px
>>56381755
fucking asshole..will post proof after installing
>>
>>56381800
be sure to do that anon
>>
>>56376105
First of all know the difference between LVM on LUKS and LUKS on LVM
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#LUKS_on_LVM

You're going to setup LVM on LUKS on LVM, I think this is something not worth the effort, but anyway here you go:

Partition /dev/sda into /boot, and another partition ( /dev/sda2).
Set up LVM using /dev/sda2 + /dev/sdb
Then dm-crypt your LVM and partition it accordingly a la LVM on LUKS
>>
>>56380541
Yes, just setup Cinnamon accordingly.

>>56381300
Try reading "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" it's a free (as in freedom and beer) to get you into kernel developing.

This is code from a Rick Roll Kernel Module.
https://maitesin.github.io/Module_prank/
You can look for examples of kernel drivers or just go to the github mirror.
>>
>>56381504
The one I'm using
>>
rec me a graph plotting software fglt
>>
>>56382262
gnuplot
>>
What is a good pdf viewer, that has tabs. I used to use Sumatra on Windows, and liked it.
>>
>>56382845
okular
>>
What do people usually use VPS servers for (apart from hosting websites and game servers of course)?
>>
I just learned to use the copy and paste keyboard shortcuts on my Windows PC

How and where do I begin to install a Linux onto my laptop having never used anything other than Windows and don't know fucking shit!
>>
>>56380795
>>56380866
>>56380926
>>56381196
This is all bait, right? Just because there's some feminist pages on the wiki doesn't mean the distro is shit or "ruined by feminism." Feminism is shit when it's oversensitive, whiny, and controlling. Debian's flavor of feminism not that; it's passive and unobtrusive.
>>
>>56382934
doesnt seem to use tabs. Any other recs.
>>
Is there any way to boot Linux on an Old World Mac without having to install shit on Mac OS 9? I don't have the ADB mouse so it's pretty much impossible.
>>
Help /g/. I can't change the keyboard shortcuts in xfce4-terminal. I tried setting gtk-can-change-accels=1 in /usr/share/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file and then changing them manually, but it didn't work.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160901_204827.png (4KB, 212x56px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160901_204827.png
4KB, 212x56px
>>56383383
>>
>>56383261
>Feminism is shit when it's oversensitive, whiny, and controlling

You mean always?
>>
>Current Year
>Using Linux
>Windows 10 has bash
Why?
>>
>>56383675
>>Current Year
>>Using Windows 10
>>Linux has powershell
Why?
>>
>>56383511
Ohh my bad. Thanks i got it now.
>>
>>56383675
>any year
>using windows
Why so plen?
>>
>>56383709
Runs smoother.
>>
>>56383417
Yeah dickhead.
>>
>>56383785
Mine crashes the explorer
>>
>>56383785
Hello AMD
>>
>>56383797
???
>>
>>56383805
Yeah. I do run AMD.
>>
Hi /fglt/

I'm looking for a distro to use as a desktop daily driver. I've used Ubuntu, Mint, and a few different live cd distros before, and would like to move onto something a little more involved. What would you recommend? I'm primarily considering Debian at this point, but that's based on little-to-no research.

Thanks /g/urus
>>
I just DL'd Mint with XFCE. If I log in under a session of openbox, are the utilities still XFCE? Could I use different utilities (file manager, terminal, etc) without causing conflicts?
>>
>>56383900
Antergos
>>
Is there anything like FL Studio on Linux?
>>
whats youtube dl?
why is it good
>>
Hello, dear Anons.
A 2012 Macbook Pro that I have used up to this point for school studies and pretty heavy hacking, programming and modding is starting to near a point where I'm going to have to get a new laptop (not Apple) for reasons that include university, gaming and modding, so here's my question.

> I plan to use this laptop after that point as a fully experimental Linux machine for some more lower level hacking, so what Linux distro should I install onto it?

Notes : my current thought is Arch Linux, considering it's whole sort of groundwork for further experimentation and construction vibe, and I'll be using a separate drive for when this laptop is Linux based and not OS X based.
>>
>>56383900
>>56384026
Arch Linux

Ignore the debian shills
Don'f fall for the debian meme
>>
>>56384001
what's google?
why is it good?
>>
whats gentoo?
why is it good
>>
>>56383994
I am not sure. But you might try audacity.

>>56384026
Arch is pretty good. Actually Arch and Ubuntu are the most popular distros in /g/. Debianfags are just too noisy
>>
>>56384044
>>56384081
So there's no truth to the Arch 'hobby OS' meme?
I mean I'm okay with fuckery around every now an again but I need it to run reliably.
>>
>>56384044
Yeah, that's what I thought.
I'm used to a Unix sort of environment from my experiences with my laptop, and currently learning a Windows environment with my desktop.

Arch Linux really does cater to the sort of position I'm taking with Linux, that of a hacker and creator who has the time and patience to learn not just the OS but the inner workings of the Kernel itself.

> Thanks, dear Anon.

Also, note, I find Linux for gaming pc's a bit excessive, considering how resource efficient Linux distros can be, but if it weren't for DirectX I would be using Linux, probably Ubuntu, Fedora (personal friend recommendation) or Arch, on my gaming PC.
> Though the thought of doubling that gaming PC as a server is very tantalizing.
>>
whats gnu?
why is it good
>>
whats freedom?
why is it good
>>
>>56384108
Yeah. The whole "arch breaks" and "arch is hard" is just a meme
>>
whats arch?
why is it good
>>
>>56384081
>audacity
That won't do. Can't work with midi files in audacity. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>56383994
Yes, bitwig, renoise, tracktion, ardour, qtractor, muse, lmms, ingen, rosegarden, giada. Check out the kxstudio repo, you can add it to debian based distros.
>>
Are there any decent free file hosts that allow me to upload a large file through CURL?

I've got a 1GB zipped file that I want to upload to a file host through CURL. I saw that transfer.sh is pretty good but only has temporary storage.
>>
>>56384124
and you'd recommend not using an easy-arch distro like antergos?
>>
>>56384226
I'll check them. Thank you.
>>
>>56384108
Arch is a hobby OS but Debian is a literal meme shot through with old hardware issues and bugs that arent fixed.

Fedora is a good compromise, but Gentoo is the best bet if you can read and think.
>>
>>56384235
Yes
Don't bother with Arch forks or installers. They're all shit
>>
>>56384337
Actually, now that the beginners' guide is gone, I suggest using Antergos to the newcomers.

>>56384235
It's okay anon
>>
What is the best music player in GNU/Linux?
>>
>>56384373
mpd+ncmpcpp
>>
>>56384373
mpd+cantata
>>
fresh install of debian and ibus is not being recognized by anything
ibus itself thinks everything is fine, switching input methods when i tell it to
but this doesn't matter if nothing else is listening to it
very confusing and dumb
any ideas?
>>
>>56384373
mpd+mpc
>>
>>56384373
gmusicbrowser
>>
>>56384373
I just use SMPlayer for everything
>>
>>56384373
mpv+ranger
>>
>>56382262
There are online tools for that
>>
>>56382262
R
>>
I guess I'm falling for the Linux meme, downloading Arch at the moment but have class tomorrow so won't be able to install since apparently you need hour long videos for the procedure.
>>
>>56384632
>Arch
lol
>>
>>56384632
you might as well get back to windows now
>>
>>56375894
What do you guys use as an audio player on linux?
>>
>>56385922
Banshee. cmus is also nice if you want something terminal based.
>>
>>56384001
it's a small foss python program which downloads videos from various websites including youtube
it works by downloading the web pages and extracting the links to the videos, and doesn't depend on any third party services
>>
File: gp.png (49KB, 773x519px) Image search: [Google]
gp.png
49KB, 773x519px
Is it possible to extend my Linux partition to the left, I think the last time I tried that didn't end well.
>>
>>56385998
it's possible, but it will take a long time, as it involves reading/writing the entire partition out a block at a time to the new position

considering your picture, i would recommend first resizing sda4 (presumably your target) to be as small as possible, then moving it, this way much less data needs to be moved (faster)
>>
Anyone got audio working on an odroid c2 running arch?
Can't seem to get it to work, aplay can only detect my soundcards if it runs as root.
>>
>>56383218
If you don't know shit its easier since you don't need to relearn.
You begin by installing it and reading manuals. (Type man <program> into a terminal)
>>
>>56383785
No, windows is slow as shit compared to my install.
>>
>>56385922
I use cmus
>>
>>56384373
The one I'm using
>>
>>56385922
foobar via wine and on my eee I use cmus
>>
>>56384114
Because it allows you to modify everything and because it is portable.
gnu.org will answer your questions.
>>
>people hating on each others distros
>just like Microsoft and apple want it
What a coincidence
>>
File: 1472683378905.jpg (141KB, 750x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1472683378905.jpg
141KB, 750x1072px
I have a corrupted SD card, can't write to it, nor read anything.
How to format it under linux?
When I try to run fsck.vfat I get
Logical sector size is zero

I tried using cfdisk to delete the partition table and write a new one, but the data remained.
And when I try using Gparted it get stalled at scanning the SD card.
>>
Does convert have a verbose option? I'm stuck with 100% RAM usage while converting 200 images to a pdf and it's been a while and my other stuff are all glitched, text glitched, icons glitched, everything glitched.
>>
>>56386416
I think think there is a log variable.
What's the command variables that are you using?
Convert was always slow.
>>
>>56386446
None, just
convert *.* "file name.pdf"
Inside a directory.
>>
>>56386462
Try https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/PdfMod
>>
>>56386493
Oo that's nice, but should I stop convert and get that? Will it do it faster or will it take a while compiling 200 pictures to a pdf?
>>
>>56386526
Well how long it have been running?
At least with this you'll get a progress bar.
>>
>>56386540
Almost 30 mintes, oh it's done. But I'll check it out since I'll probably be doing this more often since I'm just converting manga to pdf for kindle.

Oh fuck, it didn't order it from 001.png to 200(whatever).png in the pdf.
>>
>>56386579
Before you do any catenate operation in terminal you need to run ls
>>
>>56386601
I did, do you mean I had to pipe it or something?
>>
>>56386613
No, but see how the files are arranged.
>>
how the fuck can i fix this
su - doesn't work
as long as updates and apt-get in general

and it give me this error
 'error : BrokenCount >0" 

:~$ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for chatlax-ii:

E: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/colingille/freshlight/ubuntu/dists/xenial/main/source/Sources 404 Not Found
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
>>
>>56386651
It wasn't vertical, the files were places next to each other, but 1 to 5 went vertical, the rest followed next to it.

I'm trying to use the Pdf Mod, but I can't seem to drag images in to make a new pdf, is it how to work it?

Also, I think it didn't mix anything up, I think the pdf was made half way, and it didn't include some of the front pages for some reason.
>>
>>56386677
Actually I'm gonna get PDF Chain with pdftk and see what I can do.
>>
>>56386655
>apt
found your problem
>>
>>56386723
For some reason, convert and pdftk or pdf chain aren't putting the first 8 images in. What do?
>>
>>56386844
Figured it out! I made another pdf out of the first 8 pages with convert, then used pdf mod to merge them together.
>>
>>56386772
Are you fucking retarded?
>>56386655
Looks like the ppa is down (and you shouldn't use ppa ever). Ping it manually and see. Remove it from /etc/apt/sources.list if it is there and otherwise remove the ppa.
>>
File: 1420465406867.jpg (159KB, 700x1033px) Image search: [Google]
1420465406867.jpg
159KB, 700x1033px
>>56386326
Anyone?
I'm thinking of using dd now,
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmblk0 bs=1M

Does it have to be mounted to be used?
And will this do a LLF?
>>
>>56386966
>Are you fucking retarded?
I think he refers to known fact that Ubuntu breaks often.
>>
>>56384421
anyone?
>>
>>56387330
>Ubuntu breaks often.
>know fact
>>
This is the worst thread on the board. Shame on you guys.
>>
>>56387434
he's just new
>>
Recommend me some good TUI programs please.
>>
>>56386326
sounds fucked, tried another reader?
>>
>>56387478
Yeah, both SD card adapter and SD card reader.
What's fucked exactly?
>>
new thread: >>56387488
>>
>>56387492
the sd card
>>
Can I completely remove osx from my macbook and replace it with ubuntu? With tiny amount of Linux knowledge
>>
>>56387587
>the sd card
I know that, what's exactly fucked in it?
Will deleting everything will help clearing the issue?
>>
>>56387446
This is what happens if some faggot starts an internal war. This was the best thread of the board for a whole year with only a few shit threads inbetween.
>>
>>56387640
Yes you can. If you want to.
>>56387471
Cmus, alsamixer
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.