[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 32

File: rmsfaces.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rmsfaces.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
Previously on: >>56348557

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
Got so many questions. Don't know where to start.

What's the safest way to partition my SSD if I dual boot? Do I use the Wangblows tool or wait for the installer of Linux to prompt it?

as I said I ran into issues with UEFI installation.. that prompted errors related to GPU. What's a good, step-by-step tutorial/article detailing installing Linux with UEFI motherboard without disabling it? I read Archwiki but I am not quite sure WHICH page I need with me and how to apply it during Manjaro installation
>>
>Tfw the main reason for why I want to start using Arch is to look l33t when running screenfetch

I mean, how much does it really matter what distro you're using? How your computer actually behaves for everyday use comes down to the DE and WM. Feels like choosing your distro is mainly about an ideological choice at this point.
>>
File: linux-header.jpg (192KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
linux-header.jpg
192KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone here use an XPS 13? What distro/DE do you use?
>>
>>56359407
Pretty much. Package manager and release style (lts vs rolling) are the two main factors.
>>
how do I find out what filesystem is used in my root partition?
gparted doesn't show it because it's in an LVM
>>
So I've installed Debian stable from the netinstall. I went with no DE, so that I can build my system up with my own choice of packages. Upon booting up, I'm presented with a terminal (completely expected) and no internet connection. I kind of assumed the installer would've setup my wifi for me.

How do I automate or simplify connecting to wifi from a terminal?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (63KB, 632x551px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
63KB, 632x551px
>>56359437
>XPS 13
>he doesn't use a 5510 with 32 GB of RAM
>>
>>56359536
lsblk -f
>>
just posted this in old thread but i didnt see it was dieing

bought computer with windows 8 about a year ago, it was a pain in the ass but managed to install Elementary OS, got grub working and all that shit, got tired of Elementarys bugs to installed Mint 17.2 over Elementary

dont know what i did but i cant boot up into window anymore
i already ran boot repair ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair) and it achieved noting

>tl;dr need help to getting windows 8 to boot after mint install
>>
Anyone else have this issue? Sudo apt-get clean doesn't do anything so I have to manually purge old kernal versions until there's enough space every time.
>>
>>56359868
Use pacman. It's a true packages manager. apt-get is just an old trolling joke.
>>
>>56359967
If I wanted a good package manager, I'd use nix.
>>
>>56359790
define cant boot into windows anymore is it not listed in the grub boot loader? If not boot into mint and run
sudo update-grub
>>
>>56359868
apt-get clean only deletes your downloaded package cache you have to uninstall the kernels you do not want. Dont uninstall your current kernel.

>>56359967
apt-get clean is the same a pacman -Scc stop being a faggot
>>
> under logind.conf havehandlelidswitch and handlelidswitchdocked set to suspend
> close laptop lid, suspends
> open laptop lid, refuses to wake up

Can someone help me out? I'm gonna try changing logind.conf.
>>
>>56360131
Yes but pacman works. And pacman has pacman -Qe. After years, apt-get still don't have that command.
>>
>>56360149
works for me you don't have those lines commented do you?
>>
>>56360189
I do not have those lines commented. I had to uncomment them way back when I got this laptop because it wouldn't suspend at all.

My theory is basically that it's being ordered to suspend both when the laptop closes and when it opens. Is there a man page or something for this?
>>
>>56359266
Just manually create the partitions in the Manjaro installer.
It says which partitions you need to make.
Has for the errors you're going to need to be more clear on that.
>>
>>56360227
what does systemctl status systemd-login.service say after you close and open it?

┌─[siegmeyer@Yukari]─[~]
└──╼ systemctl status systemd-logind.service
● systemd-logind.service - Login Service
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2016-08-31 16:15:16 EDT; 1min 44s ago
Docs: man:systemd-logind.service(8)
man:logind.conf(5)
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat
Main PID: 23155 (systemd-logind)
Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
CGroup: /system.slice/systemd-logind.service
└─23155 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind

Aug 31 16:15:16 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: New session c2 of user siegmeyer.
Aug 31 16:15:19 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Removed session c1.
Aug 31 16:15:19 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: New session c1 of user gdm.
Aug 31 16:15:19 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Removed session c2.
Aug 31 16:15:28 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: New session c2 of user siegmeyer.
Aug 31 16:16:41 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Lid closed.
Aug 31 16:16:41 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Suspending...
Aug 31 16:16:46 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Delay lock is active (UID 120/gdm, PID 23267/gnome-settings-) but inhibitor timeout is reached.
Aug 31 16:16:51 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Lid opened.
Aug 31 16:16:51 Yukari systemd-logind[23155]: Operation 'sleep' finished.
>>
File: image_19.jpg (56KB, 348x442px) Image search: [Google]
image_19.jpg
56KB, 348x442px
What DE will maximize my laptop's battery?
>>
>>56360442
DWM
>>
>>56360442
LXDE
or if you're okay with configuring a WM, Openbox
>>
What's a good distro for wanting the lightest system possible?
>I want to save on physical memory and cpu
>>
>>56360745
Debian with LXDE/Openbox
>>
>>56360745
Neon
>>
>>56360745
Arch or gentoo with one tty
>>
>>56359967
As an Arch user, I gotta say your shitposts don't help anyone
>>
>>56360766
>>56360770
Translation for the non Linux savvy? I'm not sure the pros and cons of each.
These are my baby steps of Linux.
I'm also fine with anything text based.
I've heard of gentoo is it just a meme or is it actually good?
>>
>>56360808
Also the anon is stuck with a shitty package manager but he can't change it atm without changing the distro.
>>
>>56360829
>I've heard of gentoo is it just a meme or is it actually good?
Gentoo is the best but it is quite a bit of work, not necessarily hard though. You will undoubtedly get the lightest system with gentoo with the use of USE flags to control features and dependencies.
The meme of gentoo is based on telling newbies to install it as a solution to a problem, the joke being that it can be complicated and difficult. It's a shame though because it puts a lot of people even though it really is one of the best distros around.
>>
>>56360829
Gentoo is only good if you know exactly what you're doing and are willing to spend a lot of time working with your computer. Debian is an OS that is GNU/Linux based, it is primarily built to be as stable & secure as possible. LXDE is a very small desktop environment which aims to be lightweight and reduce system resource usage, and Openbox is a window manager which LXDE includes, but it's more lightweight to use only a window manager, however less feature rich, doesnt have a file manager by default. But if you want command line only, just don't select to install the graphical environments on the Debian install process
>>
Nvidia or AMD for a GNU/Linux desktop gaymin machine?
>>
>>56361023
any you prefer. AMD officially supports GNU/Linux on the RX 480 I think. but both will do you fine. AMD's drivers have gotten a lot better over the years
>>
What's the point of Manjaro?
>>
>>56361063
what's the point of anything
>>
>>56361063
whats the point of ubuntu?
>>
>>56361071
I can tell you the point of most things if you ask specifically. Manjaro is not one of these things.
>>
>>56361063
Nice theme
>>
>>56361093
some may wonder why mint exists when where's ubuntu. it's just a matter of preference
>>
Trying to install GRUB, but I get an error.
>pacman -S grub bios
>works perfectly

>grub-install /dev/X
>grub install: error: cannot find EFI directory

>grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/X
>Installing for i386-pc platform. grub install: warning: this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition: embedding won't be possible. Embedding is not possible. GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blacklists (...) etc

my drive does contain a /boot partition which is confirmed when I use # lsblk

What am I missing? I'm trying to figure out what I'm even doing rather than just following the steps, but I can't figure this out
>>
>>56360905
>>56360918
I have no clue what kind of work goes into Linux. I've been a Windows baby my whole life but I've found myself killing processes in task manager to the point of running without the explorer just using the tty to run anything without the need for explorer.

So I'm looking for something that I can game on, shit post and run Photoshop. I'm pretty proficient with Windows but know nothing of Linux. I have a rig I want to convert don't know where to start and I want to be s Linux but I don't know that to do.
You guys are my only hope.

Thanks for answering my questions. Really considering lxde.
>>
>>56361056
I'm sure it's possible to work with both Nvidia or AMD on Linux, but I was wondering which works better in comparison. Tried googling, but people seem to complain about both so it's hard to gauge which of the two has the better track record. Guess I'll have to wait and see what AMD cooks up with their new driver...
>>
>>56359552
Install NetworkManager and then use nmcli. That's the easiest way.
>>
Complete tard here sorry.

With no programming experience, would it be hard to install and configure a linux distro? Any guides on easy distros up to hard ones?

Im very interested in it, but do not really have a clue how to get into it.
>>
>>56361163
>pacman -S bios
wat
>>
>>56361194
Go try them out. See a distro you like the look of, and install it into a virtual machine. keep going till you find one you may want to use full time and give it a go. you can always remove it and install a new distro very quickly. just be sure to make backups
>>
>>56361288
pacman -s grub os-prober*
>>
>>56361453
grub-install is for BIOS systems I belive, is yours booting with UEFI? what filesystem is the /boot partition as? is it set to read-only? is the boot flag set to on?
>>
>>56361163
I used to get this error too, pretty sure you fucked up (like no bootable flags in partition)
>>
>>56361256
Thanks! I've heard that wicd is smaller/has less dependencies and does the same thing as NetworkManager.

Can anyone comment on network manager vs wicd in terms of simplicity and install size? Otherwise I'll just try out both and pick for myself.
>>
Is krita beta than gimp or is it not a fair replacement for photo editing?
>>
>>56359076
What's the difference between Architect and Arch-Anywhere?
>>
How do I use Bash?
>>
>>56361529
I'm pretty sure mine is booting with UEFI. All partitions are ext4. Not sure if it's set to read-only, didn't do it manually.

Do I need some separate /boot for Grub bios?

>>56361554
I know that I fucked up somewhere, but how do I fix it?
>>
>>56361194
>So I'm looking for something that I can game on, shit post and run Photoshop.
Sorry to say, but Windows is considerably better at both games and photoshop. The experience in those two areas is unarguably better on Windows.
>>
>>56361277
Unless you have special requirements, then no, it would not be hard at all. The installation process is more or less like Windows, you just click your way through a series of windows that ask a few simply questions. No programming experience needed. I recommend using Ubuntu or one of its variants. They are all very straight-forward to use and googling solutions for common problems usually gets you the answer right away. You can try out installing and configuring Linux without permanent consequences to your computer by installing the distro of your choice in a virtual machine. Here's a description of how that would work:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Linux_Mint
Here's a manual with a step by step guide including pictures for a real (not in a virtual machine) install of Linux Mint. Other Ubuntu based distros look like that, too. You can also look at Youtube tutorials, but it's really self-explanatory.
The only potential source of trouble could be if you accidentally overwrite data, so make sure to backup all your important stuff before you start tinkering.
>>
>>56361649
Start over
>>
>>56361639
Fuck, I meant "learn". How do I learn Bash?
>>
Will people still call me an Arch kiddie if I use it because I want bleeding edge and the DIY approach while thinking The Arch Way™ is retarded?
>>
>>56361369
What about booting it live from usb?
I've heard you can tinker with it that way.
Any truth to that?
>>
>>56361654
>Here's a manual with a step by step guide including pictures for a real (not in a virtual machine) install of Linux Mint.
Forgot the link:
https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf
>>
>>56361665
Why do you care?
>>
why is the flt irc channel invite only? I try to connect and i get kicked
>>
>>56361730
nvm its working now, i think i used the wrong server
>>
>>56361730
Because it's full of faggits
>>
>>56361651
Can you elaborate a little please.
I'm going for low resource usage and Windows is a bit of a resource hog
>>
>>56361761
photoshop runs in wine. at least slightly older versions do
>>
>>56361671
Yes. LiveUSB will work great for what you need
>>
>>56361649
UEFI needs fat32 to boot. and make sure that the /boot partition has bootable flag on
>>
>>56361716
I don't, I'm just trying to figure out what distro I want to run and want to be able to talk about it without making the thread derail into shitposting
>>
>>56361816
just use one you like, don't worry about what others may think of you
>>
>>56361609
I dunno. I assume they're nearly identical. Try them out to figure out the differences.

>>56361639
sudo rm -rf /
or man bash and literally blow your mind
>>56361664
OH! Simply get "The Linux Command Line" (free download, linked in the OP) and read through it. It's very beginner friendly and if you stick with it, you'll be pretty comfortable and good at using the terminal.

>>56361761
I just mean that more games are created for/available for Windows, and that Photoshop doesn't run without a compatibility layer like wine, or a full-on virtual machine. There are still plenty of games to play on GNU/Linux and there are alternatives to Photoshop.
>>
>>56361816
You hardly ever have to specify what distro you're using unless you wish to or your problems are very specific. Just use what you want.
>>
>>56361671
Not the anon you are replying to, but that's what I did. Downloaded like twelve isos of different distros to see what I like and found my new home this way. I recommend using Rufus for creating bootable USB drives on WIndows, other programs had problems because my BIOS version was really old. Rufus had a neat option specifically for that problem that other tools didn't have.
>>
>>56361846
manpages are useless
>>
>>56361878
No they aren't, but the bash man page mind as well be. It's incredibly long and complex.

Man pages tend to suck because they're written by developers who generally suck at explaining things well with simple terms. In fact, man page contributors who can explain things well are needed for this reason. It seems small, but every little bit helps.
>>
my raspberry is my first linux and i fucked it up. I don't know i just uninstall lib that i had installed today, and then most of the noobs stuff where gone. Even the terminal. I didn't reboot so i could still use it but i couldn't open a new terminal window.
in a rush of panic i just apt-get lxterminal and epiphany again. I thought i was saved so i rebooted, but then... when i startx it will only show me a lxterminal window and no desktop, no gui, nothing.
What should i do ? I typed epiphany on the terminal and it actually opened the browser, with no icons though only red cross. So i managed to search the internet for my answers, apparently xorg was related to my problem so i apt-get that, and lxde was apparently the gui, so i apt-get that.
When i rebooted startx showed me a gui, but it wasn't what i was expecting. But meh, it looks fine so i spent a little time placing everything right with this lxde. And then i wanted to browse 4chan and tell it to you. But epiphany crashed, and crashed again and again. Wtf, does this have to do with the new gui ? Is this too resource intensive ?
I couldn't manage to open the catalog without crashing. Typing in the search bar that will show me suggestion made the browser crash too. It has to do with memory right?
Anyway, i apt-get iceweasel and wow it looks like firefox that's not so bad... but it's really much slower than the epiphany i had before.

is this a standard evening for linux users ?

Seriously though, wtf happened ? i just apt-get removed stuff i had apt-get installed an hour ago, how can this uninstall my gui, terminal, browser, file manager, and surely more i still didn't catch ?
>>
>>56362161
Just reinstall noobs on it.
>>
Guess it's technically a linux question. How do I turn vim into an ide? I know about clang auto complete plugin. But how do I get proper views for debugging etc?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-08-31_18-06-56.png (183KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-08-31_18-06-56.png
183KB, 1600x900px
I wanted to edit my urxvt terminal but got this message Not trying to show off arch or anything just was easiest for me to screenshot.

tl;dr urxt does not work please help me.
>>
What light and kinda minimalistic wm and de would you recommend for a non linux experd who tries arch for first time?
>>
Anyone have a copy of "Understanding UNIX/LINUX Programming: A Guide to Theory and Practice " by Molay?

I cant find a torrent or a download for the pdf.

thanks for any help u can gif
>>
>>56362412
i3
>>
>>56362412
openbox+tint2
its kinda minimalistic and has graphical configuration tools
>>
File: 1461398296867.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461398296867.gif
2MB, 500x500px
Rec me a bar for i3.
>>
>>56362460
Kde panel
>>
I used mint and want to try arch. Pros are its one constant release from what i understand where mint is not really good when it comes to updates. I used mint with no problems, arch would be a challenge for me. Should i try it? Is there anything similar to arch (light, continous release) but easy to use as mint?
>>
What is the best gnome theme?
>>
>>56362250
i can't do that, it will reset everything
>>
>>56362540
No shit. If you fuck up your system32 you also need to reinstall Windows. Just copy your home directories and shit and start over.
>>
>>56362527
I was scared of installing arch for the longest, but doing it and following the guide word from word will be a fun and exciting experience. Just go for it I bet you won't screw up!
>>
>>56362336
>error messages literally tell what's wrong
>screenshoting with screenfetch is the easiest
>can't even follow the wiki properly
>merging .Xdefaults
why are arch users so dumb
>>
>>56359266
It sounds like you are wanting to dual boot and already have Windows installed. If that is the case, you should use the Windows tool to resize and partition your drive. Then, when installing Linux, you can further partition the free space. Make sure you have backups.
>>
>>56362554
do you think it's really fucked ? I'm gonna try to make it work like it should, but i guess if i can't i'll have to reinstall noobs.
>>
>>56362992
I mean you can try, and you'll probably learn something in the process, but sometimes when I see that my system is fucked I'll reinstall because it's faster than trying to manually fix it. If your package manager works it should be pretty easy to get a GUI up and running again, but all your desktop icons and menu items and shit might be fucked.
>>
>>56362527
If you are looking for an easier to use arch you should look into Antergos or Manjaro, that's their main selling point.
>>
>>56359993
this is what i got, still cant boot into windows. i think my MBR is fucked, how can i fix it?
>>
I'm discovering tmux. It's glorious.
>>
>>56363313
grub-mkconfig can look for other OS with os-prober installed.
>>
>>56363313
>>56363379
did this and still doesnt work, if i try to use one of thos windows recoverys in grub, it goes into windows boot manager and at the bottom it says the boot data is missing
>>
whats usually used at servers? from what i have seen ubuntu is really popular (europe). id like to change distro but im not sure if i should get something non ubuntish or non debianish since id probably have to use that in work. Or are there not that much differences between using for example arch as personal os?
>>
>>56363484
Apart from pkg handling, they're pretty much the same.
>>
>>56363525
I like fact that its one version with updates (arch) but i am afraid i will not be familiar with stuff around ubuntu,
>>
>>56363594
Just test both on a VM and see for yourself. The knowledge you gain will be beneficial no matter what, the fundamentals are all the same.
>>
just made this for personal usage (new ranger image preview method using urxvt pixbuf)
decided to document a bit and share because why not
http://ix.io/1iPp
>>
Do I only need to delete the .desktop files from /etc/xdg/autostart to stop them starting on login?

Secondly, can DNF remove a single package within a package group?
>>
File: manjaro-jwm-15.09.jpg (85KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro-jwm-15.09.jpg
85KB, 800x388px
How to get Debian to look like this?
>>
>>56364108
why would you want that?
it looks like shit
>>
>>56364153
I like the washed-out-color-scheme/dmenu/openbox-with-light-shadows setup

anything like that?
>>
>>56364108
Copy the configs, they should be available, or get the live iso and copy them across to your system.
>>
How do I stop my screen from flickering when using OpenGL for my compositor's backend? Graphics run off of Intel HD 530 integrated graphics.
>>
>dmenu
>dmenu-extended
>dmenu-launch
What should I get?
>>
>>56364349
j4-dmenu-desktop
>>
I switched from windows to linux (Antergos/KDE) on my work pc some months ago and loved it every minute.

But now that I've replaced my shitty 2in1 windows tablet with an x220, I realize that I should have switched much sooner.

Experimenting with desktops layouts on a 12" display is an interesting experience. I'm now running completely full-screen, using Meta + Z-N to switch between 6 workspaces that are all mostly running 1 designated program each (I configured them to launch on their respective workspace)

In the long run, I might have a look at tiling wms again, but I'm fine right now.

If you have any questions towards a recent windows convert, go ahead. In any case, let me say thank to /g/. "Falling for the memes" has been quite liberating in this case.
>>
>>56364190
>washed-out-color-scheme/
Just look for themes with pastel colors or solarized based themes.
>>
I just installed arch linux on my macbook pro, and lowered my brightness to the minimum it can go, but its still way to bright when on white pages. What else can I do so I dont loose my eyes?
>>
>>56364412
xbacklight
>>
My E540's hotkeys and all acpi events are gone once I wake the device from suspend.

It all works perfectly until I put the computer to sleep. Google has not helped me much ... well at least I have tried everything that comes up about configuring it properly.

Do you have any idea what I could try?
>>
>>56364420
yup, I already used it to get to the minimum setting. Its still too bright, and hurts my eyes
>>
>>56364284
No idea if it's related to your problem, but maybe have a look at this:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1647964

>I've found that adding i915.enable_psr=0 to my kernel parameters seems to solve the issue.

If not, it could at least give you some resources for further reading
>>
I've saving texts i found on the internet on LaTex, is it good for that sort of thing, or is there something better?
>>
Devuan is shit and I'm going back to Debian, unfortunately.

I gave it a chance, and it failed. When installing packages and updates, it occasionally failed and required a second attempt to succeed. And then upon running startx and loading dwm, I find that my keyboard is completely disabled. I then spent over an hour trying a variety of things to fix it (nothing worked) and now I give up. The xorg log file had this as the prominent error:
>systemd-logind: failed to get session: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files
So it seems like a systemd related issue, especially because it worked fine on the same machine/packages with Debian.

To be fair, it is in Beta, so I'll give it another try when it has an actually stable release.
>>
>>56365056
You could of just removed systemd from inside debian, and replacing it with init or some shit. There's a tutorial on the systemd hate wiki all about it, and since your using dwm(I was on #! when I did it) you should have no problem
>>
>>56365088
>trying to get rid of cancer after it spread through your body instead of stopping it from getting in there
>>
>>56365088
>removing systemd
Paid MS shilling detected.
>>
Getting the C201, what are some good ARM distros?
>>
File: devuanfetch.png (254KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
devuanfetch.png
254KB, 1920x1080px
>>56365056
sorry it didn't work out for you anon. i've been enjoying a super comfy desktop experience with devuan. guess i lucked out because i didn't have any of those problems. i'm using testing btw if that matters.
>>
So, I've never used any form of GNU/Linux before. I'm not planning on using it as a primary OS, I simple want to install a distribution on a virtual machine and use it as a learning experience.

In a nutshell, I want to learn how to use GNU/Linux and I want to learn it in detail. Would it be a good idea to start off with a distribution like Arch or Gentoo as a beginner with my circumstances? Should I start on something simpler like Ubuntu and work my way up to not be overwhelmed?
>>
>>56365213
Yeah, it's probably just a dwm issue and I was using unstable. But like I said, my same setup works fine in Debian unstable.
>>
File: Windows active hours.png (30KB, 1203x936px) Image search: [Google]
Windows active hours.png
30KB, 1203x936px
Congratulations to those who escaped the botnet in time and now are using GNU/Linux.

Pat your back because the shit got bad.
>>
>>56365056
>systemd-logind
You are mental man, that is not in Devuan repositories.

Either you are trolling or you installed some shit.
>>
How the fuck do I manually install fonts on arch?

I've tried

>moving fonts to ~/.local/share/fonts
>moving fonts to /user/share/fonts
>editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and nothing works
>>
>>56365352
I never said it was in the Devuan repositories, I said that was an error in my xorg log after running startx. Maybe I don't understand the syntax of the log file. Does the error indicate that systemd-logind is installed on my system?

My sources.list.d:
> deb (and deb-src) http://packages.devuan.org/merged ceres main contrib non-free

I installed 100% of my packages from apt, after doing apt update and apt full-upgrade. xinit and dwm (installed via apt source dwm, and then compiling) are the relevant packages. Check it for yourself.
>>
File: Ibook.png (273KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Ibook.png
273KB, 1920x1080px
would it be worth it to install G E N T O O onto this old Ibook /fglt/?
>>
>>56359076
How does everyone feel about the OC OP image I made?
>>
>>56365617
>How does everyone feel about the OC OP image I made?
hairy
>>
>>56365616
Gentoo might be the only thing you can install on it...
>>
>>56365452
There is no easy explanation other than some package still dependent on systemd entered your computer. I myself had installed dwm on my Devuan machine and it worked.

For some reason you ended up with a Debian package, don't ask me how only you might know.
>>
>tfw I have to boot windows for skype regularly.

The web app does not do group calls and I really need those 50gb of space on my ssd. I'm surprised I even got it shrinked that low
>>
>>56365056
I use Gentoo with openrc and I have hundreds of systemd-logind info and errors in xorgs log. It doesn't cause any problems though.
>>
>>56365728
Oops, those were from ages ago.
>>
>>56365438
did you installed bitmap fonts? did you
fc-cache -fv
?
>>56365704
I think pidgin has skype support now, try it
>>
>>56365616
If you enjoy compiling and hate your Mac. Yes.
>>
>>56365764

Yeah, bitmap fonts. I only did
fc-cache
>>
>>56365438
Need to run a command, something like fc -c cache.

Don't quote me on the exact command.
>>
>>56365777
Maybe try to make available the bitmap font by
sudo rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-yes-bitmaps.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/70-yes-bitmaps.conf

and then restarting

might be different on your machine, but sure you can find were to link to 70-yes-bitmaps.conf
>>
So I just noticed that the screen tearing that happens when I scroll down a webpage that has a lot of elements in it happens a lot to me in firefox.

Thing is, it doesn't happen in chrome. I know it has to do with the composite manager because using xcompmgr fixes the screen tearing when scrolling down webpages in firefox but using compton brings it back.

I want to be able to use both compton and firefox, as well as fix the screen tearing. It only happens in firefox and not in other applications.

How would I go about mimicing the settings that chrome has?
>>
>>56365332
Wew

I set my laptop's power button to shutdown when it gave me no option but to update and shutdown/restart. Last time I booted it it gave me an option but there's no way I'm booting it again unless there's an emergency.
>>
>>56365693
Well I have no idea then. I can't use my keyboard in my preferred WM for whatever reason.
>>
I'm having problems connecting to my uni's wifi, it uses 802.1 x EAP (specifically PEAP) security and the guys at their tech support gave me this super long instruction sheet for how to connect. Anybody got any easier solutions?
>>
>>56365835

I know that stuff but all bitmaps fonts that I installed throught pacman/aur (terminus, termsyn, tewii, wenquanwy bitmap song, etc) works.
>>
Does using startx over lightdm produce noticeable improvements to boot up time?
>>
>>56365944
at least on my machine yes
>>
File: lain-is-a-bear.jpg (48KB, 1008x720px) Image search: [Google]
lain-is-a-bear.jpg
48KB, 1008x720px
guys I need a 11 inch laptop for school.
anyone has one running archlinux/debian/other_distro ?
what is it?
which one will you recommend me?
>>
>>56366013
http://www.linlap.com/
http://www.linux-laptop.net/
>>
>>56366053
Thank you anon
>>
>>56361654
Thanks kind stranger. Looks like i have some reading to do tonight. But what i skimmed over while at work seems fairly straight forward as you said.
>>
Why do people think installing a debian based distro is hard? I work as a nurse, so my skills are simple, but never found it difficult to make an installation.
>>
>>56364545
You might try
xrandr --output LVDS1 --brightness 0.5

I don't really know your output name so you might try another output if this doesn't work. You can write any value between 0 and 1 for brightness. If you don't like the grayish look of it you might try redshift to stop it from hurting your eyes.
>>
File: firefoxvschrome.png (211KB, 1550x1596px) Image search: [Google]
firefoxvschrome.png
211KB, 1550x1596px
>>56365851
Okay honestly this is kind of bullshit. I'm OP from this post that I just linked. I feel like I now have two good reasons to switch to chrome instead of using firefox.

There must be some type of setting that I can edit in about:config, right? It's an open source browser for fucks sake.

I've been bashing my head on this for a long time. Searches yield no results.

So my first issue with firefox is screen tearing, which doesn't happen in chrome (I disabled hardware acceleration and it didnt help)

My second one is the file browser. It looks kind of OK on firefox, but it's missing features that the chrome one has.
First off, it's kinda fucking stupid how you can't zoom or preview pictures. All you get is the picture preview on firefox, on the right of the file browser. I'm not willing to scroll through every single picture to find the one I want to upload.

The chrome file browser, on the other hand, offers FULL image preview, meaning that I can pick out the picture without having to click on every single one. The picture on the left demonstrates that. Chrome allows file zoom when browsing, but firefox doesn't.

If anyone can help me fix this bullshit, that would be great. I would love to keep firefox but right now I don't really see a reason other than it not being a dumb botnet and being SO customizeable.
>>
>>56366289
>tearing
first, you should try to solve this at a driver-level rather than compositor

>file browser
chromium uses kdialog if it's installed while firefox uses the gtk+3 basic file chooser
there's a set of patches for firefox to use KDE file chooser
there's also a patch to implement icon view in the gtk+ 2 but you will need firefox compiled with gtk+2
>>
>>56366415
Thanks anon, this makes it easier to find the solution to these awful problems I'm having.
>>
>>56365882
Fuck it, I just connected to a different thing and for some reason that worked, even though it's another school wifi and it had the same security. No idea why.
>>
>>56361163
to use a GPT disk on a non-EFI system, you need to make a 1M or bigger "bios boot partition" (type ef02) for grub to embed itself into
it's not related to "/boot"

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
1 4096 3907029134 1.8 TiB 8300 Main BTRFS
5 2048 4095 1024.0 KiB EF02 BIOS boot partition
>>
Which ever faggot told me to do the dd /dev/sda command....

You are the biggest fucking cunt in the world. I'm not that angry. Just pissed off that someone would do that.

Fucking nigger scum you are.
>>
>>56367679
>trusting 4chan

wow i feel like you're the idiot here
do your research
>>
>>56367679
What happened? Did you delete your main partition?
lel
>>
>>56367679
How would he know which is the sd* drive you need to use? You're a moron if you blindly followed commands on the internet. Lesson learned?
>>
I have some shitty $150 laptop that I bought a long time ago but just left sitting around.

If my only experience with linux was messing around a bit with #!++, what would you recommend for me to run for assorted weaboo activities?
>>
Hey fairly new to Linux, got fedora 24 and love it. I was wondering user friendly distro I should use for an old pc for an older relative. The pc in question has a duel core processor and 8 gigs of ram. I was stuck between arch and mint.
>>
>>56365332
I use windows XP in a VM to use it as a "software compatibility layer". Sure, the VM has no access to the internet. XP is low on resources and runs MS Office 2010 fine. I also use it for minitab.

I know both work under WINE but I don't want to embed my system with malware prone windows libraries
>>
Is there any decent terminal word processor out there?
>>
>>56367749
I don't recommend Debian derivatives anymore. I suggest Antergos or Fedora with Xfce
>>
>>56367700
>>56367718
>>56367699
I googled the command. Checked a few sites and it said nothing about removing a partition.

And yes, i do trust people on 4chan
>>
>>56367779
You learnt the hard way
>>
>>56367745
Xubuntu, or Lubuntu if the specs are completely garbage
>>
>>56367779
>not knowing that /dev/sda is a partition
>not knowing partitions
>>
>>56359868
sudo apt-get autoremove
If I remember correctly, *buntu terminal prompts you to do that every time you use apt-get with old packages installed
>>
>>56365292
Start with Manjaro Xfce
>>
>>56367786
Is ricing these as easy as other distros?
>>
>>56367796
I went to disks and the device name was

/dev/fedora/

so i was like, i dont have an sda partition... until after i actually entered the command i saw it was sda1/ and cancelled it
>>
File: 1456487715779.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1456487715779.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>>56367838
>>
I wanna try making beat but i run a xubuntu any software suggestions
>>
How do you all feel about Reddit shilling systemd here? https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/50btwi/im_really_liking_systemd/
>>
>>56367924
I use systemd
>>
>>56367817
Yes, ricing comes down to what desktop environment and window manager you use
>>
Is there a gentoo that is like arch but not all of arch, but still better then source building gentoo?
Or
Is there an arch that is like gentoo but not all of arch, but is still better then arch without source building?
>>
Feel free to post your screenfetch here >>56367988 and brag about your GNU/Linux setup.

As you can see, I'm trying to restore desktop threads, it may be pointless, but I think it's worth a shot.
Desktop threads were always a part of /g/ and sometimes people switch to GNU/Linux when they see how cool their desktop can be.
>>
>>56368019
S A B A Y O N
A
B
A
Y
O
N
>>
>>56368420

Kill yourself. Is babby scared of posting on wg? Does babby need to post on g to feel like a geek? Awww poor babby.
>>
File: 1266956503.jpg (48KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1266956503.jpg
48KB, 480x480px
>>56368420
But I did
>>56368533
>you'll never be this mad
>>
Can libertarians/randroids use freeware?

Wouldn't that go against their idea that only good things can be done when you do it for money?
>>
So guys after having a hiatus in my /g/ browsing habits and being with a pc for like a year or two, I am starting to teach myself coding. I was going to use crunchbang for all of my CS/CE/coding/whatever shenanigans but I see that #! doesn't exist anymore. How are the successors should I use those? If so whats the best BunsenLabs, #!++, or #!-monara? If not should I just forget about it and try Arch or even Debian or something?
>>
>>56368601
Have you used linux before?
>>
I have a T420S that I'm looking to install linux on I've used linux before a few times but never with any real proficiency. After searching around I was thinking of using Ubuntu MATE since it seems like it would preserve my battery well. Is this a good distro or is there a better option?
>>
>>56368699
Ubuntu is a fine distro to start with. You may also consider Linux Mint.
>>
I am pulling my hair out to find the distro I want to stick with, frozen with indecision because of the vast amount of options.

Couldn't you take, say, any Debian based distro and turn it into any other? Doesn't it really come down to the initial configuration? And package manager? What's the real difference from, say Ubuntu and Linux Mint? Just the initial configuration right?
>>
So chromium is locking up on me after I return from the lock screen. Anybody else encounter this?
>>
>>56367679
>>56367779
Can you post the thread?
>>
>>56368831
Have you filed a bug?
>>
What do you guys use to have such a clean ui. I just installed Ubuntu with unity, and im not really liking the look
>>
>>56368952
>>56349852
>>
File: 1469053623748.png (740KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1469053623748.png
740KB, 1024x768px
I know this is kind of a far fetch, but I'll ask anyway.

Does anybody here work in Physics AND uses Debian?

I'd like to know what happened to the CERN's ROOT packages in Debian Testing and Sid. They're present in Jessie and have been for some time, but all of a sudden they got removed from Testing a year ago and from Unstable a few months ago. What happened?

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/root-system

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/ROOT

https://packages.qa.debian.org/r/root-system.html
>>
>>56369177
*what happened to CERN's ROOT packages, sorry
>>
>>56369177
Mainline dosent want to support them.
Build them manually if you cannot, they may use old hard libs
>>
>>56369234
>Mainline dosent want to support them
Why not though?

Also I was puzzled when I saw that they don't even include pre-build requirements for Debian, but they do for virtually every other distro (I know Ubuntu's are virtually Debian's dependencies, but still). It kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Some drama between maintainers and upstream devs or what?

https://root.cern.ch/build-prerequisites
>>
File: 1355235193107.png (161KB, 397x303px) Image search: [Google]
1355235193107.png
161KB, 397x303px
>>56369249
>Ubuntu family
>Not Debian family
ouch. what did poor old Deb do to them
>>
>>56368802

Mint takes Ubuntu and butchers it with idiot things.
For the thousandth time: use "core" distributions. There is only a handful of those and their differences are actually worthwhile and what makes up a distribution.

Do you also like to drink your water downstream when someone else has pissed into it?
>>
>>56368802
If you like Debian-based, why not try Debian itself? Honestly it's the best place to be if you're gonna go down that road. Like the anon said above, better to be closer to the original pure thing rather than all the downstream stuff
>>
>>56368638
A little I fucked around with crunchbang somewhat and had a portable version I would bring to school when I was in high school to mess around with in my free time.
>>
>>56359076
I Just Installed Plank. How do I make it's background 3D, how do I install docklets and how do I autostart Plank?
>>
>>56368466
It's unstable pile of shit.
>>
>>56367924
>I really like that 6 inch cock up my ass, guys! It's so comfortable and fast!
>>
>system spring cleaning
>notice vlc
>why vlc wat
>ffmpeg depends vlc
wat?
>>
Anyone wanna tell me how to get thumbnails for every image in the file uploader for xfce. I'm really annoyed that I have to cycle through all the images to actually fucking see them.
>>
>>56370245
Oh, I know that.
There's a patch for GTK+:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view/
If you don't use Arch, take patch files from the upstream at github (there are two patches, one for gtk and one for gio) and apply them manually.
>>
>>56370385
thanks
>>
>>56370245

That's not Xfce's file dialog, that's GTK2's file dialog.
>>
Ho can you make plank's background 3D like on Docky?
>>
Is Crux linux dead?
>>
File: 2016-09-01-12:29:07.png (4KB, 644x427px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-01-12:29:07.png
4KB, 644x427px
My terminal emulator does this sometimes when I resize it. I have tested it with multiple emulators and it's happening with all of them. What could be causing this?

What happens is that the prompt isn't show until I press any key. Then it shows up again. I have an Intel GPU and am using the Intel DDX driver.

Does anyone else get this?
>>
>>56370664
Type clear.
The only terminal emulator that rewraps on resize is gnome-terminal-emulator I think.
>>
>>56370695

I don't even have to type clear or do CTRL+L. Just hitting any key brings back the prompt (the part before the cursor). I can't pinpoint what's causing this, since it seems to happen randomly. I'd file a bug report if I knew which component is responsible for it.

>that rewraps on resize is gnome-terminal-emulator I think.
Isn't that a vte3 feature? Meaning that all vte3 based terminal emulators can do it?
>>
>>56370385
How does one go about patching gtk2 in Debian?
>>
>>56370829
im a retard btw so i need it explained to me like im some downie
>>
>>56370245
Just bind your file manager to a keybind and drag from there if you want to upload stuff.
>>
For the past little while (maybe a month or two), my text rendering when opening PDFs using Firefox has been horrible.
The text looks "wavy" with some characters being rendered too high (or too low?) and the tops of some characters being cut off. This image is what I'm talking about.
Out of all of the documents I've looked at, it mainly seems to affect the ones generated with LaTeX, but I don't really know that for certain. There are some documents where there isn't a problem.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?
I'm using Arch with the Infinality patches installed, by the way.
>>
>>56371158
Also, I forgot to note that I've opened the same documents with standalone PDF viewers and they look fine.
>>
>>56361277
I don't have any programming experience and use it for 8 years now.
From my experience most people good at programming cant even use windows properly, for example my one friend had a laptop for 2 years and never installed nvidia drivers on it (he pirated the OS so they were not preinstalled).
>>
>>56370829
No idea lol. I know how it's done in Gentoo (by putting the patch into the patch folder before reemerging the package in question)
>mfw they call Gentoo a meme distribution
>>
File: screenshot-0.jpg (21KB, 579x177px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-0.jpg
21KB, 579x177px
why the fuck is firefox taking up 20% cpu at idle? This is ubuntu install with the barest minimum packages installed.
>>
>>56371158
If you didn't use some clusterfuck like infinality and instead had a custom fontconfig maybe you would be able to fix this.
>>
>>56371323
Probably some bloated site script.
>>
>>56371323
>ubuntu
>barest minimum packages
>>
>>56371366
It ONLY seems to effect Firefox's PDF.js, and it only happened recently. I've had Infinality for quite a while.
Maybe I will change my text rendering shit at some point, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has run into this and has a fix.
>>
>>56371380
I did a net install and only selected the required packages to boot.
>>
It's devuan ready for daily use? How stable is it?
>>
File: screenshot-0.jpg (74KB, 1166x832px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot-0.jpg
74KB, 1166x832px
>>56371477
the problem seems to be twitch. It never stops trying to refresh the page as you can see by that loading icon.
>>
>>56359076
Guys, what WM/DE will be able to nicely scale on 4k 24" display? I tested elementary os with pantheon and it actually looked quite nice with the larger text set in accesibility options.
>>
>>56371380

>i don't know what i'm talking about but i'll try to appear smart
>>
>>56371578

Your window manager or desktop environment has nothing to do with that. It's the toolkits responsibility. Your best best is to use GTK3 programs and maybe Qt5 programs.
>>
>>56369126
I don't blame them for doing that, you spammed that question quite a few times. You didn't even ask a real question, "now what" gives us no idea of what you're trying to achieve. Learn how to ask proper question and maybe you will get constructive answers. Why did you even execute the command anyway? You didn't say you had a problem so what did you think it was going to do?
>>
>>56367779

>I googled the command. Checked a few sites and it said nothing about removing a partition.

That's like searching for "fire" online and then burning your car down. Then complaining because it didn't specifically mention fires being able to burn down cars.
>>
>>56370570
>linux dead?

Yea.
>>
What distro/environment does Elliott use in mr. robot?
>>
>>56372037
linux mint
>>
File: 1472496346437.jpg (75KB, 736x724px) Image search: [Google]
1472496346437.jpg
75KB, 736x724px
Why would anyone use a hosts file over an adblocker like ublock? Won't ad and tracking websites have thousands of IPs they can switch to like microsoft does with windows 10?
>>
File: 1466586549529.png (336KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1466586549529.png
336KB, 1920x1080px
what's a good DE if I want to achieve pic related?
>>
>>56372373
What do you find attractive about that image? To me it just looks like a pseudo-intellectual faggot trying really hard to seem like a 1337 /prog/rammer.
>>
>>56372373
you can achieve that with any DE
>>
>>56372373
Ignore the pointless rude comments. There are many ways that you could achieve what you showed, the user in the photo is using i3wm, but a tiling window manager may be tough for you to get used to. If you are willing to build a DE from the ground up, just the way you want it, I would suggest openbox or awesomeWM. Personally, I encourage new users to try out XFCE and work on getting that the way you want it, as it is very easily customizable and doesnt require alot of setup. In the end, it is your own call, and I encourage you to try whatever you feel like would be a good fit for you!
>>
>>56372452
whatever attracts the girls dude

>>56372530
>>56372561
thanks
>>
File: 1465870779401.jpg (62KB, 566x626px) Image search: [Google]
1465870779401.jpg
62KB, 566x626px
mods deleted my thread, so I am trying to reword it in a nice /fglt/ way

In the past I used:
Windows7/10 -> Ubuntu -> Windows10 -> and now tried arch again to get away from the botnet

now just for the basic setup
>needed to install an extra compositor to get vsync working correctly
>vsync for dual monitors, that have differing refresh rates still was broken with various configurations
>had to get drivers from some guy in the AUR to get wifi working
I know you can generally trust the more popular packages, but it doesn't feel so great, when it's just a random guy with his driver package, that could contain who knows what
>soundcard (soundblaster Z) is not supported sadly.
The problem is known, but there has been almost no progress in the kernel for this. Onboard is the only option at the moment
>Having no sound after coming back from suspend mode
This seems to happen to quite some people, after googling it. Makes the feature also unusable unfortunately.
>mpv frame render time always suddenly increases 5 fold after ~45 seconds of playing a video, because the gpu goes back to a lower power state.
Dont know if the fault is with nvidia or mpv. There is an mpv script, that forces the gpu into max power mode, while a video is playing, but that's also just a mediocre workaround.
Never tried this on Ubuntu in the past, so I don't know, if it is an issue there.

I would really love to use it to get away from win10, but had some major troubles with it over the last few days.

Will these things "just work" or at least be better on Ubuntu or can I kind of expect the same there?
>>
>>56372804
Linux won't get you the swaggest hardware/software features, but almost everything else is actually fixable. Arch is not the best choice for a newb, but is good as long as you are ready to investigate an fix arising problem (which is, in general, a requirement for working with Linux). Ubuntu may or may not work better.

tl;dr suffer the pain of learning or suffer the pain of M$ owning your ass
>>
10 years ago I tried linux, today I tried again but linux just doesn't work, screen tearing, no filepicker thumbnails, gimp is shit, games don't work. linus just can't program a good os... will come back in 10 years. goodbye loosers.
>>
>install minimal Debian stable,
>change sources to unstable,
>attempt to upgrade to unstable,
>get a dependency error relating to apt & apt-utils
>attempt to apt -f install
>doesn't work
>find the day old bug in the mailing list with a solution
(https://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg1449628.html)
>attempt solution
>also doesn't work
Great. I guess I'll just WAIT until this bug is fixed... I basically can't install anything or upgrade my system.
>>
>>56372994
0/10 bait
>>
>>56372994
>linus just can't program a good os...
Linus wrote only the kernel "Linux". Other programs like GIMP were writte by other people.

That's what you get by calling everything Linux, faggots. Confused people.
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-09-01_15-29-00.png (921KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-09-01_15-29-00.png
921KB, 1366x768px
Anyone know what the fuck is going on here with the shadows on my desktop?
>>
>>56373037
>being the fish
just don't reply
>>
>>56373043
>-t
<3
>>
Recently acquired a T420, usually run Arch KDE on my desktop. Will the T420 run KDE nicely or should I run Debian stable with a WM?
>>
>>56373031
Well he got legit arguments. How about helping instead of calling it bait?
>>56372994
>filepicker
try KDE
>tearing
try compton
>games
try GOG
>gimp
Take some time to learn it, you woun't reget it.
There's also a GIMP plugin called G'MIC with a lot of filters and actions.
>>
>>56373056
NOT YOU AGAIN
>>
>>56373043
Desktop icons are so 90's. Just disable them.
>>
>>56373122
>try KDE
It's bloated and I don't like it. Seeing images in a file viewer seems like a trivial task, but I have to resort to a DE that I don't like just to have that feature.
>try compton
So I have to install a 3rd party application which uses my GPU just to avoid screen tearing? Is there really no other way?
>try GOG
There are objectively more games on Windows, even on GOG.
>GIMP
It is literally shit compared to anything else. It's completely unintuitive, and even if you master it, the tools don't have enough depth. Even compared to Paint.NET (let alone photoshop), GIMP is trash.

GNU/Linux is a server OS. The tiny desktop support it does have is almost entirely due to Ubuntu/Canonical. No one in their right mind would run it as a primary desktop unless they were a developer or willing to deal with loads of technical issues on a regular basis.
>>
File: 1466765998841.png (70KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
1466765998841.png
70KB, 300x372px
>>56373263
Seriously, man. Stop.
>>
>>56373168
>remove this feature which is purely convenient
No thanks, I don't feel like navigating to my desktop directory in a terminal/file browser every time I need a file from it. I'd rather just see my desktop files at all times.

There isn't much of a point to the desktop if you can't see the icons.
>>
>>56373329
>There isn't much of a point to the desktop if you can't see the icons.
not him but that's why i don't put icons on the desktop
my desktop is always covered with windows, because i use my machine
>>
>>56373549
I think every DE has some form of shortcut for showing the desktop. Always one or two clicks away, instead of navigating through a file browser or terminal.
>>
>>56373591
SuperKey+D
>>
>>56373591
but what do you put there?
program shortcuts? i run things from dmenu
common folders? i use bookmarks in my file manager for that
somewhere to throw shit you can't be assed sorting right now? i have a "scratch" folder in my home which is also bookmarked in my fm for those
>>
File: Debian.png (213KB, 3000x3724px) Image search: [Google]
Debian.png
213KB, 3000x3724px
Debian Testing or Unstable?

I want the stability that comes with Testing, but I've heard that it gets the least love security-wise, and it gets somewhat neglected around the time the new Stable release happens.

I'm kind of leaning toward Testing after what >>56373015 said.
>>
>>56373651
>someone works differently to me holy shit
>>
>>56373699
i know, right? it's amazing
>>
>>56373676
Neither, debian's only good if you want Stable.
>>
>>56373766
Well I tried Stable, and things are just too old for me. I guess it's impossible to have a truly consistent, stable system when it's rolling release...
>>
>>56359437
UBUNTU gnome, tried fedora but fucking my drivers bullshit.
>>
>>56359868
>https://utappia.org/2016/03/28/ucaresystem-core-v3-0-released-and-available-in-ppa/
>>
Elementary os or xbuntu
>>
>>56373957
Elementary OS is ubuntu made less shit, dunno if they succeeded. So try it.
>>
I'm going to istall arch on an old computer I have to learn about it, pretty new to linux but I don't mind having to look everything up and it's not my main computer so if anything goes wrong it doesn't really matter.

What desktop environment should I use though, I'm thinging xfce, but I would really like trying something interesting.
Anything I should really try?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-09-01_16-51-37.png (118KB, 732x469px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-09-01_16-51-37.png
118KB, 732x469px
My laptop is incredibly slow all of a sudden
Pic related are the processes running atm
What is going on?
>>
>>56374330
no idea what kidle is but is eats all your cpu and runs with a very high priority

kill it with fire
>>
>>56374330
Looks like a kernel bug: http://askubuntu.com/questions/584636/kidle-inject-causing-very-high-load
>>
Installing just awesome wm in archlinux will be enough to run intellij/eclipse?
>>
Rec me a book for bash scripting /fglt/.
>>
Manjaro or Antergos?
>>
>>56375037
Just install Arch, it is literally as simple as copy and pasting from the guide
>>
>>56375037
antergos, it's arch without the autismal installation
>>
>>56375051
>>56375081
how about this >>56374757
>>
>>56375087
Can't help you, i run KDE.
>>
>>56364412
In /sys/class/backlight/ there will be a directory for your graphics hardware (two if you have a gpu plus onboard graphics), and in it will be a file named "brightness". On my system it's
/sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness
read that file and it will tell you the current brightness setting. If it's 0, or 1, it's probably at the lowest it can go. If it's at a higher number, then it can go lower and you can write to that file (as root) to set it.
If you have two directories in /sys/class/backlight/, then your power manager (and maybe xbacklight) might be getting confused. For example, on my system I have my radeon gpu plus the onboard graphics, so in my /sys/class/backlight I had
acpi_video0/ radeon_bl0/
The screen brightness can be changed by writing to the brightness file in either one of them, but the relationship between number and brightness may be different. For me, a value of 0 in acpi_video0 was 30 in radeon_bl0 and it could go much lower by writing directly to /sys/class/backlight/radeon_bl0/brightness. Xfce4 power manager was reading the 0 from the acpi_video0 backlight and refusing to set it any lower.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy way to fix this, so I just made a little C program that sets the backlight and run it setuid root and use that instead of xfce4's power manager.
If this is actually your problem, i'll give you the source code.
>>
>>56375081
But aint manjaro just arch with its packages held back for testing a week or two?
>>
Why doesn't openbox recognize return or enter as a keyboard command?

W+t is shit and so is W+space for opening the terminal.
>>
>>56375153
What if you run into problems though, I'd say using arch might be better since you'll know what you're doing.
Also it should run faster as you'll only have what you need and no fancy extras you probably won't ever use.
>>
I updated my Linux. Now, whenever I run anything, I get segfaults.

Sep  1 13:12:38 forethought kernel: [  510.922907] chromium-browse[5815]: segfault at 7ffdc394aff8 ip 00007ff95e6a3406 sp 00007ffdc394b000 error 6 in libbase.so[7ff95e559000+196000]
Sep 1 13:13:15 forethought kernel: [ 548.379742] chromium-browse[6020]: segfault at 7ffc5e9a7ff8 ip 00007f26b23ad402 sp 00007ffc5e9a8000 error 6 in libbase.so[7f26b2263000+196000]

WTF do I do now? :(
>>
>>56375252
Did you reboot?
If you did then do it again but choose a different kernel to boot from in the grub.
>>
>>56375272
I have many options... I'm in windows now because I can't start Firefox, Chromium etc.

I picked 36, 34 regular ones... same shit. segfaults galore. libbase and some other lib are crashing everything. I checked syslog and kernel log.

when I boot through grub and see lists of options, do I pick a kernel with a number without any other options beside it or what?

ugh, hope I can get shit going so I can at least save my tabs and docs.

such a fucking mess :(
>>
>>56375014
Linux Shell Scripting with Bash
>>
will i be able to run IDEs like intellij or eclipse on arch with just window manager?
>>
>>56375477
What is this?
>>
>>56375252
>chromium
found your problem
>>
>>56375153
Packages aren't held back, it's like Debian works: stable, testing unstable, where unstable is up to date just like Arch.
>>
>>56375477
>Linux Shell Scripting
Linus never wrote a shell
>>
>>56375920
Doesn't matter what I start... Chromium, nemo, Firefox... it all segfaults. Amazingly, WM is up.

So what do I do bros?
>>
New thread: >>56375894
>>
>>56375970
this, bash is a GNU program
>>
>>56375979
Looks like a problem in libbase.
>>
>>56375951
So, they are, unless you use unstable.
I did say manjaro, not manjaro unstable.
>>56375235
What kind of problems are you thinking of?
>>
>>56375412
Yes, pick a different kernel.
>>
>>56359407
I prefer arch for rolling release, good support (if confusing) and performance.

I still think ubuntu is a much more viable starter. You can pick apart ubuntu and make it your own. Then, you can move to arch when you invariably need to upgrade the entire system. Arch then lets you build what you had before, but from scratch. Time consuming, but worth it. A sort of middle ground would be antergos.
>>
>>56372373
>i3
>tiling wm
>tiling
>uses floating
>all that space wasted
why?
>>
>>56375970
Yeah the title's bullshit but the information in the book is alright.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.