[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Small Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 45

File: dwight3.jpg (60KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
dwight3.jpg
60KB, 300x300px
/sqt/
>>
File: 043.jpg (234KB, 937x1404px) Image search: [Google]
043.jpg
234KB, 937x1404px
help pls >>56245808
>>
Will I fuck it badly If I go for a X58 Build?
I don't want to buy new shit in three or five years.
>>
>>56245838
Could someone help me out with regex ?
I need to match the following string exactly to add to my filter list for fail2ban.
masscan/1.0 (https://github.com/robertdavidgraham/masscan)

Thanks in advance
>>
How does /g/ maintain it's music library?
Don't have the money for spotify and it lacks some music, and currently using beets+MPD+ncmpcpp which works fine but finding new music or keeping artists updated is a hassle and I can't get the database in perfect shape.
Am I missing out on something?
>>
>>56245871
>LGA 1366
>65 nm
lol
>>
Did dun goof'd and lost headset mic, new mic possible without re-buying the headset?

>>56245537
>>
>>56245987
So?
>>
How do I check my computer for spyware or other similar stuff. After giving in my computer for repair now I use it and there seems to be all sorts of programs and processes running on my computer like for instance the cmd always opens on startup, they might have been installed in order to aid the repair of my computer but I'm not so sure.
>>
>>56246027
so its not 20010 or whenever 65nm was in action, we are on 14nm
>>
>>56246037
reinstall windows
>>
>>56245991
Any normal 3.5mm mic should work.
>>
>>56246057
if I do that I'll lose a ton of programs and software I can't reinstall due to not having the original disc.
>>
>>56246072
Any reccomendations for headset-attachable ones? Tried a quick amazon uk search but came up dry on anything decent looking.
>>
why is DX12 win10 exclusive?
isnt it a regular installer for a bunch of libraries?
what is that special something that is required for it but only available in win10?
>>
>>56246157
>why is DX12 win10 exclusive?
To force you into Winblows 10
>>
>>56246157
MS probably fucking something up in the code to make it read if you've got win10 thus forcing you to join the botnet.

>removes tinfoil hat

Probably others will give a better reply.
>>
>>56245899
Nvm, i figured it out with this site:
regex101.com
>>
>>56246116
run then

ccleaner, so that scanning is faster
malwarebytes
adwcleaner
roguekiller
hitmanpro
JRT
tdsskiller

all of them on bleeping computer site, except malware bytes I guess
then run as asdmin autostart from sysinternals and check what starts on boot for ya
>>
>>56246157
it was the same with Vista and DX10. there was no reason DX10 couldn't have worked on XP, but microshit intentionally made it Vista-only in an attempt to boost sales.
>>
>>56246045
And?
>>
>>56246124
I have no idea, I don't use that type. Got a Samson Go Mic Direct. It's almost too good for its price. Found nothing better than this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-00057152-VOIP-Notebook-Microphone/dp/B000EW5338/
>>
>>56246027
>>56246287
You're a special kind of retard, aren't you?
>>
File: Finder_logo.png (126KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
Finder_logo.png
126KB, 512x512px
Is it possible to install MacOS on a PC? Will it work properly?
>>
>>56246397
You've never heard of a hackintosh?
>>
>>56246397
http://www.tonymacx86.com/
>>
>>56246339
Cry more.
>>
>>56246397

Yes. No.
>>
>>56246289
I'll take your word for it, plus, since the headset has its own soundcard I guess that helps?
>>
>>56246397
Yes.
Yes, but takes more maintenance than a Mac.
>>
>>56246339
You're a special kind of /v/ manchildren, aren't you?
>>
Why is transmission so slow? Or is it just ubuntu? It's a lot slower compared to bittorrent on windows. Any modifications I can use?
>>
>>56246397
I would ditch Windows in an instant if OS X got official non-Apple hardware/PC support, but then who would buy a Mac anymore?
>>
>>56246624
Nobody is buying macs now, anon, so...
>>
Just picked up a hot new lenovo chinkpad p40 yoga and am thinking about installing leenux on it
Every laptop i have owned for the past 6 years has run linux on it, but i have a few Q's i need A'd

what are the best distro's for 2 in 1s?

this computer comes with a wacom pen and I want to make sure that linux can utilize the pen and its buttons

I want to use arch (i installed it on my old comp), would i need to configure all the function keys for like backlights and shit?

thanx pham
>>
So I'm trying to get dazloader from MDL forums, and whenever I go to this link
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58464-Windows-Loader-Download

All that shows is something that says must log in to see this posts contents. So I created an account and logged in, and it is still saying that I need to be logged in to see the contents, even though I am already logged in with my account. anyone know why?
>>
>>56246927
Did you activate? IIRC MDL has a weird system for it.

Also, you need to thank to access the link.
>>
Does it matter which usb sticks I buy if I just want to use them to listen music in my car?
Should I use several smaller storage or one large one?
>>
File: 1442605510106.jpg (16KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
1442605510106.jpg
16KB, 284x178px
Say someone gets call scammed and lets someone on their computer, what's the best way to check to make sure there is no monitoring software or otherwise nasty shit? Assume reinstalling windows is a last resort.

No I didn't fall for that stupid shit someone else did, but the idea that someone left some backdoor shit on it is intriguing and I'm wondering if there's any way to reliably check for it.
>>
>>56247011
Nope. If it's just for music in your car, it doesn't matter. I'd probably buy a big one; for storing music, they're really cheap these days, so why bother with smaller ones?
>>
>>56247011
Just buy an aux cord for your audio listening device.
>>
File: SonyEricsson_W950_iTunes.jpg (221KB, 797x1375px) Image search: [Google]
SonyEricsson_W950_iTunes.jpg
221KB, 797x1375px
/spg/ ignored me, maybe you guys can help?

I want a phone that can produce some good sound (I am planning to use headphones, Yuin PK3), but one that does not run Android or iOS.

I'd prefer something less smart, but not outright dumb. Lurking and reading about W950i and 5800 XM at the moment - can anyone tell me what other models should I look for?
>>
>>56245838
My laptop is lagging whenever I use BitTorrent, but it only happens when I set the upload and download higher than 700~kbps. I'm using Win10, and the BitTorrent version is 7.9.7. What could be causing this?
>>
I'm planning on thru hiking the appalachian trail next season and I have been thinking about a phone option. I really don't plan on making many (if any) calls, so I was then thinking maybe I can just bring my iPhone 5S (or buy a new smartphone before the trip), with the intention of using it for photos. The phone would be in airplane mode at all times, and GPS would be turned off for photos. I would disable all forms of data pushing etc. How long might I expect the phone to last with these considerations, and considering I might take between 20-30 photos a day (probably way more than I actually would), and that I would turn it off for 12+ hours a day?
>>
Asking again because I didn't get an answer last thread. Can I reinstall windows 7 just by mounting the iso in a virtual drive? I would use a usb but my ports are dead. I would use a burned disc but the burn process keeps failing.
>>
I have a 3570K I'm trying to OC, and I keep reading that 1.25v should be enough for 4.5GHz, but I'm at 1.3v at 4.4GHz and I get WHEA errors every minute or so. Do I have a really awful chip or something?
>>
A friend sent me a private youtube video of him playing a game but then decided he wasn't happy with it and deleted it.

I have it open and fully buffered, just finished watching it. How can I save this? It's gotta be in some temp folder or something, right? I can't use youtube-dl since it's not actually on the site anymore. I'm using Firefox Nightly if it matters.
>>
So I set up CDPATH in my .bashrc so I can cd anywhere in my ~ directly.
So later I added a function to my .bashrc to cd anywhere and open my file manager (nemo) there.
Any buddy know how, or if I can get this function to work with autocomplete, like cd does?
function ncd () {
cd "$1"; nemo .
}
>>
File: dvdstack.jpg (165KB, 488x420px) Image search: [Google]
dvdstack.jpg
165KB, 488x420px
I fail at burning movies/tv shows to dvd
I have DVD Flick and tried to burn 3 episodes of a show to a blank dvd-r with a simple menu to select an episode. But I forgot to select the option for it to burn after encoding or make an .iso so all I had was the "dvd" folder with bunch of .txt files and shit. So I used powerISO to turn it into an .iso and burn it to my blank dvd-r. Needless to say it failed to play in my dvd player. Why? Would DVD flick have been able to do it if the option were selected? What does /g/ use to do this?
>>
>>56247259
Leave the browser up for all eternity
>>
Which video card would be OK for Intel iCore 5?
>>
>>56247259
install capture software, crank capture settings up, set capture area to size of youtube video window, record it. About the laziest way to go about it.
>>
File: 1392549422359.jpg (240KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1392549422359.jpg
240KB, 600x800px
>>56247326
wow people still do that? to get the menus and stuff i used nero, but that was years ago so i might be way off.
>>
>>56247474
Guess I'll rev up the piracy and try nero. Thanks for advice
>>
ᵂʰᵃᵗ ᵈᶦˢᵗʳᵒ ᵒᶠ ᶫᶦᶰᵘˣ ˢʰᵒᵘᶫᵈ ᴵ ᵘˢᵉ?
>>
KDE or Cinnamon?
>>
>>56247599
None of them. Use iOS
>>
>>56247050
Obviously start with AVs, and maybe stuff like this:
>>56246197

Then, definitely, check everything that autostarts with this:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
>>
>>56247599
without any other info about your needs:
Debian
>>
>>56247053
Thought for different genres, and doesn't it read slower if you get a 64gb one compared to a 16gb one?

>>56247069
I only have a phone.
>>
>>56247186
Phones aren't really built with long term battery in mind. You could buy a solar battery recharger or just an outright backup battery, but you might as well buy a dedicated camera if that's all you're after, maybe something waterproof/shockproof.

>>56247198

This is supposed to do what you're talking about

http://www.easy2boot.com/

Also your USB ports might just be damaged on the outside, in which case you could buy a bay with new ones and maybe a card reader, and just connect it to your mobo in place of the old connections. They also sell PCI adapters with new ports.
>>
>>56245838
My Asus X501A started making weird noise, like an old mechanical clock, loudly "ticking" in fast rhytm. I heard it usually means that HDD is broken so I downloaded HD sentinel and run a test. It seems that everything is perfectly fine 100%. Should I do anything else?
>>
How do I stop Windows 10 from downloading updates without asking?
I don't like randomly having 600 ping in the middle of a game with no warning.
>>
>>56247650
Maybe on the genre front, if your car doesn't let you use multiple folders.

I've never heard of slower speeds on larger drives over USB 2, but it wouldn't make a difference anyway - streaming music is not an arduous task for a USB drive.
>>
File: hal.jpg (392KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
hal.jpg
392KB, 1920x1200px
>>56247715
I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.
>>
>>56247388
???
>>
>>56247814
>>56247388
Which i5 do you have?
>>
>>56247113
Dude, the in between phones were retarded. A bunch of crapware from the manufacturers, super limited apps that have dried up even more since then, and half baked menu systems that never got fully developed. Honest to god you either want a minimalist android or some super oldschool phone that just emphasizes battery and privacy. There's a lot of androids with excellent sound

>>56247388
Any.
>>
>>56247715
Do you have home or pro?
>>
>>56247715
Install Windows 7.
>>
>>56247976
Home.
>>
I want to limit my torrent clients speed so that it doesn't slow down my internet. I tried using the built in download/upload limitations, but even at 1kb/s it still slows my internet down. I have tried uTorrent, qBitorrent and Deluge and it is the same on all of them.

What do?
>>
>>56247832
>>56247833
>>
>>56248003
Then you want to set your network connection as metered, if it's over ethernet you'll have to do a quick registry hack. You could also try disabling the service but I imagine windows would turn it back on automatically at some point. And you want to disable P2P update sharing as well.

You could also use the third party tools Ultimate windows Tweaker 4 or O&O ShutUp10, which give you all these options in one place.
>>
>>56247759
It does, I just use folders to organize the albums for the bands, and I mostly play on random.
>>
>>56245838
Im a newbie on programming, and Im not sure how do pointers work, but mostly... how can I implement them? where do I need to use them?
>>
what language do i select when using Scheme in DrRacket?
>>
How can I make simple-screen-recorder timestamp my recordings like with bash:
screen_recording_$(date +"%H:%m:%S_%d.%m.%Y.") ?
>>
>>56248113
Your question's phrased kind of weirdly. You have a good processor. You could run any modern GPU with it and get good results. There are games out there that can go beyond your processor's capabilities and therefore bottleneck the gpu before it could reach it's full potential, but you could still have a solid experience even on the 1080
>>
>>56248154
A pointer is basically the address where a object is stored.
You use it for anything that isnt primitive.
>>
>>56248268
"nameprefix$(date +%options).filetype"
>if that's what you mean.
>>
>>56248363
what do you mean by primitive?
>>
I need to buy a laptop soon. I want my laptop to play Overwatch at 60FPS on low-medium settings (basically just shadows on)

>What price range am I looking at? Trying to go cheap
>What are some pillowed specs I should look for when looking at laptops
>>
>>56248373
not really... It just leaves the name in code instead of interpreting like bash. I have to name it manually each time I record.
>>
I've been using a PC all my life (although I'm no expert) and I'm going into college soon and was planning on getting a laptop. Now I'm not sure if I should get a laptop with Windows or to go for a Macbook.

My PC still uses Windows 7 so I'm not sure how I'll adapt to Windows 10. Although I've only used Macs in some high school classes so I'm not as familiar in that area either.

In terms of ease of use, compatibility and overall quality, which would be the better option? Does it all come down to software or are there much bigger limitations?
>>
>>56248402
Integer, char, boolean.

Well you can use pointers for these too, but in general you use pointer for objects such as arrays, strings and your own made objects because its way more efficient to e.g. use call by reference for objects and give a method the address of an object.
>>
>>56248478
ohh I get it, thats something that was bothering me. I have been reading about pointers but I was like "why should I use this instead of a normal variable?"
Thank you.
>>
File: skype.jpg (27KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
skype.jpg
27KB, 626x626px
How do I make Skype calls in groups with over 100 people. There's a /pol/ group with 200 that knows how, but they won't tell us.
We've been using /golive, but it stops working once the group is larger than 100 people.

Also, is there no way to get the creator role for Skype anymore?
>>
>>56248550
Yeah pointers are useful when you do stuff like swaping 2 objects where it would be awfully inefficient to actually physically swap the data on the memory.
>>
What program should I use to encrypt my drive. Should I use Bitlocker or a 3rd party ?
>>
Has anyone recently done a gentoo install with KDE? I keep hitting a fetch failed for sys-libs/mtdev. All other packages work fine to emerge, but it's not able to resolve bitmath.org.
Have I fucked up my install in some way, or is there an issue with their site? I saw nothing when i tried to load their site via a browser.
>>
File: 7529988_orig.jpg (90KB, 768x487px) Image search: [Google]
7529988_orig.jpg
90KB, 768x487px
What is a good wireless access point? Ideally it would have PoE, wireless AC and be able to transmit alright through walls and a running microwave.

>>56248684
Do you care about state level threats? Bitlocker is vulnerable to NSA guys, but you can keep unmotivated thieves out with it. Check the wiki, it has good info on this stuff.
>>
So my 1060 just came in the mail; should I remove my 660 or set it up as a dedicated physx processor?
>>
>>56248732
AC doesn't give a shit about microwaves.
>>
>>56248732
I plan to store a bunch of torrents on it. Ive heard good things about TrueCrypt though
>>
>>56248770
That was before the DEVs mysteriously went belly up. Try one of the forks now.
>>
>>56248764
I guess that makes sense given the 5 Ghz band. But isn't unregulated microwave EM leakage outsize the 2.4 Ghz band still a thing?

>>56248770
IMO Truecrypt is okay, given the audit and all. But like >>56248792 said, you might take a look at updated forks like VeraCrypt.
>>
>>56245838

Hypothetically speaking, if some one hypothetically wanted to break into a hypothetical university computer system, hypothetically, how would this hypothetical someone hypothetically achieve such a hypothetical task?
>>
>>56248844
Microwaves may break out of spectrum a little, but they're not getting in the same continent as 5ghz.
>>
How likely is it to catch herpes from balls touching?
>>
On the /g/ wiki under Apple Notebooks it says
>The GUI is not free, however the kernel is. For power users this may make or break the purchasing decision.

What exactly does this mean?
>>
>>56248886
Well, they wouldn't begin by asking for help and using the work 'hypothetical' seven times like an asshole.
>>
>>56248886
Really depends on what you want to get in this break in. Try exploiting old routers and firewalls for starters though.

>>56248956
Any open wounds?
>>
>>56248964
Apple OS is basically classic UNIX/BSD under the hood. Apple has the kernel of it freely available and you're welcome to build stuff on it. All the shiny extras are not free though.
Think RHEL, the linux kernel is free to use but you pay for all the rest that red hat throws onto their distro.
>>
>>56248736
Remove.
>>
File: 1441669884844.jpg (357KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
1441669884844.jpg
357KB, 1280x854px
i'm using firefox and enabled hardware acceleration but whenever i watch a video or stream my CPU clock shoots up to 4.3ghz

is there any way to keep my CPU from flexing so hard?

i have an i5 6600k and an r9 390x
>>
>>56248436
Depends on your class.

Generally if you're doing school work, I'd suggest Windows laptop. Choose one with long battery time, that will be your key concern. You want your laptop usable throughout your classess.

If possible get a laptop that can transform into a pad. So you can take notes with stylus/draw/etc. Don't spend more than $400-500 on the laptops. That price range will give you good amount of speed/battery/features.
>>
>>56249033
Nearly all of RHEL is free. You're paying for support. If you don't need support, CentOS aims to be 100% compatible with RHEL-specific software.
>>
So I was playing Overwatch and I'm experiencing some screen tearing which shouldn't be happening (playing on high settings, with gtx 1070) also my audio cuts out randomly every couple of minutes, but only cuts out for a couple seconds then comes back on again. Anybody know a fix for this or why it's happening?
>>
>>56249033
>Apple has the kernel of it freely available
The OS (Darwin) is actually open source, OS X is Darwin + Quartz, Cocoa, and other frameworks and programs.
>>
>>56249110
True. I mostly tried to simplify it to generic stuff just for the sake of analogy.
>>56249120
Thanks, I forgot the specifics of how much darwin was vs how much they added.
>>
>>56249101
Is it worth avoiding Windows 10 or is it not as bad as I've heard?
>>
>>56249159
Besides the forced upgrades and spying, it's the best Windows yet. Mostly. When I drag my terminal emulator to my second screen, it changes font size. And other minor stuff like that. You should definitely install it if you don't have a Windows installed yet and you're a gamer.
>>
Can SBCs play Blu-ray remuxes? Mine's got an Ingenic JZ4780 SoC
>>
File: 3g eclipse vents.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
3g eclipse vents.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
I have 3G Mitsubishi Eclipse dash vents in my Miata
Does anyone know of a cell phone mount that would work with these air vents?
>>
>>56249261
I assume it could since it has a h.264 decoder.
>>
went to the wiki and there is no keyboard guide, only explanations on the different types of mechanical keyboards

what is the best membrane el cheapo non mechanical keyboard i can get?
budget is $20, because I am not a gamer anymore and I don't have a special use case where I need the tactile feel or anti-ghosting features of mech keyboards, please recommend me something. i need something light on the keys too as I occasionally have wrist/finger pain
>>
>>56249159
It's a mixed bag. I have had it go fine on a laptop and less luck on a desktop. It doesn't seem to like being split across multiple drives in a way that ins't an actual proper striped setup.It has problems seeing programs as installed, uninstalled, folders as there or not, some stuff doesn't update right...
That said, it works fine enough one one drive, there are some annoyances with how things are laid out and where they are located and adjusting some things is needlessly complex.
It's a tossup between it and 7 honestly.
>>
>>56249301
Chiclet keyboards are often better for joints with their short and soft travel. Also try to eat mostly *whole* plant foods to reduce inflammation :^)
>>
>>56249357
thanks man, yeah I had already looked into different options

i never thought i would be glad about the thinkpad design going to shit, but the t430 keyboard has been great on my fingers.

I do need something for my desktop though, and although I have one of those rubber/silicone keyboards, it is too sensitive and has poor pickup, keys get inputted twice and sometimes they get skipped entirely

any particular recommendations for a chiclet keyboard?
>>
>>56247699
>This is supposed to do what you're talking about

>http://www.easy2boot.com/
Sweet! Thanks dude!
>>
File: venue.png (181KB, 1014x787px) Image search: [Google]
venue.png
181KB, 1014x787px
I installed android X86 to a dell venue 11 pro 7140.

It works very well with android (shipped with windows, currently dual booting), although I'm having a problem.

The power button does not put the device to sleep, it just brings up the power menu (so I know it's being recognized as a power button.)

The only way for me to put it to sleep is to plug in the keyboard and close it like a traditional laptop.

Is there some way to remedy this?

Thank you for your time.
>>
File: Cnca-SlUkAE-mh9.jpg (45KB, 1076x1075px) Image search: [Google]
Cnca-SlUkAE-mh9.jpg
45KB, 1076x1075px
Quick question,
Best wiki article downlaoder? Including a good Android wiki viewer?
Thanks
>>
>>56249292
Not all blurays are h.264 so that's not a guarantee
>>
Should I catfish my ex?
>>
My Nvidia furnace's been overheating, I replaced the thermal paste on the GPU but the RAM in it is still getting ludicrously hot. Should I replace the foam they put over the RAM with more paste?
>>
>>56249711
How hot is it getting?
>>
So my audio was working fine, until I had to do a clean install of windows and then install all my drivers over again. Now my audio works fine for awhile, but every couple minutes or so it cuts out for a few seconds, then comes back on fine afterwards. Anybody know what causes this and if there is a fix?
>>
>>56249728
Don't have a number, hot enough to be pretty awful to touch from the other side of the board and to shut down the card after only a few minutes of idling.
>>
What are some good books on PHP?
Also a book on how to write legible/beautiful code, organize it and write documentation. If something like it exists.
>>
File: 1454931042465.gif (1000KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1454931042465.gif
1000KB, 250x200px
Arguing with someone in a different thread

If you're browsing 4chan, someone on your network would just see boards.4chan.org since the site uses https right? Or could they see which boards and threads you are visiting?
>>
>>56249805
They'd see the whole URL of the thread. Using 4chanX to remove slugs makes it less obvious which thread it is but one can still use the post number to find the thread in the archive.
>>
File: 1458328337527.gif (237KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1458328337527.gif
237KB, 480x270px
>>56249828
I hate the archives
I want all my posts gone
>>
>>56248415
please respond
>>
A lot of the laptop cooling pads seem to just be giant fans and positioning so that there is airflow. Is there something that actually cools? Something I can touch and feel is cooing the bottom of the laptop.
>>
>>56247699
Wait, how does this help me boot without using USB? All I'm seeing is USB boot stuff.
>>
File: Felix_22.gif (199KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
Felix_22.gif
199KB, 500x326px
Is there a way to prevent android from using my sd card? I just want to store my own files on the card and i dont want to random system folders messing up my shit.
>>
>>56245972
I organize by folders
artists>albums>songs
File search music
>>
>>56245972
If your library is in a shitty mess, take some time to use some software to get tags. It should also be able to rename files and organize your library in your filesystem however you want.

Then you just need to make sure you don't let is become a mess.
>>
>>56247134
>>
>>56246813
>what are the best distro's for 2 in 1s?
Touch is shit on linux
>this computer comes with a wacom pen and I want to make sure that linux can utilize the pen and its buttons
The digitizer should work fine but you'll need to manually configure the buttons
>I want to use arch (i installed it on my old comp), would i need to configure all the function keys for like backlights and shit?
Probably, Arch might already have something for it though, they do for most thinkpads
>>
>>56245972
i use a foobar script to organize everything
>>
>>56247050
Network monitoring
There is no sure fire way, there is always doubt
>>
>>56250093
Check your drive health. When in bad shape read and writes take longer than usual.
>>
>>56247134
Limited hardware, try ethernet
>>
how quickly do build PC become obsolete? am i okay to build a pricey top of the line machine right now or should i wait til next year?

i don't want to spend 2k and then need to upgrade in several months.
>>
>>56250045
Have is used as 'portable storage' instead of 'internal storage'
>>
Is it slower to use Visual studios on Linux using a windows virtual machine?
>>
>>56250144
In recent years, things have kind of slowed down. A decent build will last you 3+ years of high performance and even more for moderately demanding work.
>>
>>56247699
Well, thru hikers usually resupply at a town ever 4-7 days during their hike during which I can probably charge the phone regularly. I am just wondering if I might get 4-5 days of battery if I use the method I described.
>>
>>56248607
>100 people in a skype call
Why
>>
best way to clean a glossy monitor?
>>
>>56250127
>>56250130
Thank you guys.

This may sound a stupid question, but is it possible for the internal parts of a laptop be damaged by bringing it to a plane flight? I don't know, the trepidation may have affected some parts of it? I'm a layman in technology.
>>
Best Blu Ray playback software that can deal with copy protection?
>>
>>56250249
>This may sound a stupid question, but is it possible for the internal parts of a laptop be damaged by bringing it to a plane flight? I don't know, the trepidation may have affected some parts of it? I'm a layman in technology.
Hard drive maybe, from bouncing around in turbulence
>>
>>56250451
Shit, man. Thank you.
>>
File: 48025.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
48025.gif
3MB, 300x169px
I need a new phone.
What smartphone is best for battery life?
Price range $600 max
>>
>>56250490
I use a first generation moto g lte. Going on year two and it still lasts all day with ~85% battery capacity since it was new. Bought it for 200 USD unlocked from Amazon.
>>
>>56250011
It lets you copy an iso onto a temporary partition on your HDD/SSD and boot it through grub.
>>
File: 1399319813532.jpg (1MB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1399319813532.jpg
1MB, 2400x2400px
>>56249463
bump

>please enjoy this core memory
>>
>>56250531
Oh, sorry. Could you link me to the page where it says how to do that?
>>
File: 1421880197086.jpg (43KB, 335x356px) Image search: [Google]
1421880197086.jpg
43KB, 335x356px
What are some good high end Samsung phones?
>>
Whenever I click on a post number, I can't quick reply. I have to refresh the page. Any fix? This happens on both chrome and firefox. This also happens on both WIndows 8.1 and xubuntu
>>
What can i placebo rice on firefox that will kill a nite or two?
>>
>>56250557
http://www.easy2boot.com/uefi-grub2-ptn2/
>>
>>56250746
Thanks for holding my hand. Your saving me a lot of trouble.
>>
Do internal hard drives last longer than external?
>>
>>56250885
Potentially. They usually have a little better ventilation and they're exposed to WAY less shocks and drops. I imagine the extra power interruptions aren't great either. But there's no hard and fast rule
>>
File: DASHM2.jpg (102KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
DASHM2.jpg
102KB, 1500x1500px
Is it worth buying /g/?
https://www.amazon.com/BLU-DASH-M2-Smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B01ETN9GLC
>>
I can't start my old toshiba laptop
it only turns on to the boot menu, but every option fails to be accessible.

it runs win7
>>
>>56251138
Use the installer to see if you can fix it. If not, backup and reinstall.
>>
my computer's been stuttering and freezing occasionally for the past few weeks, usually for only a few seconds at a time

the hardware is clean and i'm not doing anything CPU or GPU intensive, and it happens even when everything i'm working with is offline

i know it's a really general question, but what might be causing this?
>>
>>56251197
>>>56251138 (You)
>Use the installer to see if you can fix it. If not, backup and reinstall.
It tells me that no HDD/SSD is installed which is not true.
>>
>>56251226
Try reseating the drive
>>
>>56251225
most likely the hard drive
>>
>>56251258
Doesn't work
>>
Is bitlord a fine client?
Where do I pirate things nowadays? I got a new pc and lost my FL Studio 12 and a bunch of games.
>>
File: 1383240212514.jpg (132KB, 634x769px) Image search: [Google]
1383240212514.jpg
132KB, 634x769px
I want to spider-crawl a sample website a few times with different apps.
Can someone suggest a simple website to spider-crawl. A nice modern website but no need for hundreds of links and sub-links. The whole site should be no more than 100MB maximum.
>>
>>56251278

Does it show up in bios or your boot menu?
>>
>>56251421
>>>56251278 (You)
>Does it show up in bios or your boot menu?
Boot menu
>>
>>56250216
Most of them don't enter the call. With the group at 100 the most we've had is 11 in call. Typically it's around 5 when one is up.
>>
>>56251459
Then make a Macrium rescue cd and run it's windows repair tools.
>>
I heard somewhere that it's actually better to put games on an HDD instead of an SSD. Is this true, and if so why?
>>
>>56251529
Do I have to buy it?
>>
>>56251533
no, that's completely wrong

storing a game that you don't play but want to keep on a hdd is fine, but if you want to actually play it you'll want the faster loading times of an ssd.
>>
What ia the best way of restoring an old internal hard hardive
>>
>>56251342
httptrack
or use wget
>>
File: Torrent Guide 1.1.png (1MB, 1500x2670px) Image search: [Google]
Torrent Guide 1.1.png
1MB, 1500x2670px
>>56251533
It's not strictly "better", it's just that games tend to be huge files and SSDs are more expensive per gig and work better if they're not completely full. So having your OS and most program files on the SSD is helpful and having large contiguous media files relegated to the HDD is a good setup. Games are sort of a grey area in that SSD don't have a big impact on things like fps, although you'll generally see quicker load screens. The main argument for sticking them on an HDD is that they're huge, and also in steam a few games will balk at being installed to a different drive than the client, so it's simpler to pick one drive and install all your games there. Although steam also has a great backup feature and you could just backup the games you don't play frequently.

>>56251556
No, just install Macrium Reflect and it will give you the option to make a recovery disk.

>>56251307
Picrelated

https://torrentproject.se/
http://thepiratebay.org/
http://extratorrent.cc/
http://rarbg.to/
http://yts.ag/
http://1337x.to/
>>
I have a small form factor PC without a CPU with intergrated graphics (i7 870) and want to do some light gaming on it, would a GT 730 or a r7 250 be better for me? I have a 1024 x 1280 monitor and apparently my mobo can only draw 15w from the PCIe slot.
>>
File: wtf is this.jpg (4MB, 5128x2909px) Image search: [Google]
wtf is this.jpg
4MB, 5128x2909px
wtf is wrong with my graphics card?

whenever i boot, this happens for like 5 seconds, then it POSTs and loads the OS.

i don't have any problems. the computer runs games, stays at a normal temperature, no weird crashes. i'm just interested in what the fuck is happening here, and whether it is an indicator of anything. is it faulty hardware or something?
>>
>>56251696
does it do that if you go into bios?
>>
>>56251696
Your bios wishes it was super mario
>>
>>56251696
Unload the visualizer module
>>
>>56251094
Nah dude. That's marshmallow on a half gig of ram and a calculator battery. Find something with a couple hundred review or buy a 2013 phone that takes CM 13
>>
File: wtf 2.jpg (4MB, 4843x2853px) Image search: [Google]
wtf 2.jpg
4MB, 4843x2853px
>>56251711
it does it every time. its the first thing that appears on my screen after switching the power on.

it flashes like four times between the first image i posted and this one. ie: the bottom right corner lights up blue and then goes black.

>>56251723
>visualizer module
what? i am not good with computer
>>
Haven't been browsing /g/ since about a year ago but I'm back now and curious and why there's no longer desktop threads
>>
>>56251800
banned for good reasons
>>
File: 1472091003800.jpg (4MB, 5128x2909px) Image search: [Google]
1472091003800.jpg
4MB, 5128x2909px
>>56251777
I think you just need to get all the coins.
>>
File: 12309712093721.jpg (58KB, 960x526px) Image search: [Google]
12309712093721.jpg
58KB, 960x526px
>>56251886
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-24+at+07.51.33).png (8KB, 282x230px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-24+at+07.51.33).png
8KB, 282x230px
>>56245838
My friend gave me this code in python and its getting a indentation error at line 8. The whole code doesn't make sense to me could someone help me figure it out. Why are they creating a list at the end if earlier they are declaring X. Could you explain all the functions to me please.
>>
If I am focusing on privacy and security, which Firefox User.js is the best?

http://www.logicalincrements.com/firefox/
>>
>>56251934
https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js/
ublock origin
umatrix
decentraleyes
canvas blocker
blendr
no resource uri leak
random agent spoofer with different us for every request
privacy badger
self destructing cookies
>>
>>56251920
You have it indented one space on line 8? It can only be zero, or multiples of four.
>>
Which brand is the best to look for when buying a laptop?
>>
>>56252037
Apple
>>
What characters should be used instead of spaces, and other unaccepted characters, in device and file names? Are there any particularly good naming schemes?
>>
What's with the meme of "let's have x product cost about the same after 700 years"?

I'm confused by it
>>
Need help on how to create a sum of numbers in two separate table in MS word.

its easy to do in a single tabel but i have two separate tabels in 1 page in MS word so how do i put the sum of the 1st tabel into the 2nd table.
>>
I want to lock/password protect my porn folder on windows 7.

Is there a way to do this?
>>
>>56252050
Besides them. I'm not dismissing them, I'm just not very aware of other brands.
>>
What's the best build I can get with a maximum budget of around $700? Plan to do a mix of everything, light gaming, drawing, and some other stuff.
>>
>>56252177
pick one that you want more then the others
>>
>>56252160
>bitlocker

>>56252171
Dell HP Asus
>>
>>56252177
Do you already have a monitor?
>>
>>56252216
Yes, a 1080p one.
>>
How do I find gays who want LTRs with dates and other fun stuff instead of just boring casual sex?
>>
>>56252247
General use
http://slickdeals.net/f/9033391-hp-510-p024-pavilion-desktop-i7-6700t-8gb-ddr4-2tb-hdd-win-10-500-free-s-h?src=catpagev2

Gaming
http://slickdeals.net/f/8994951-cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-vr-gxivr8020a-i5-6402p-8gb-ddr4-1tb-hdd-rx-480-4gb-usb-wi-fi-keyboard-mouse-win10-home-683-after-mir-f-s?src=catpagev2

>>56252263
>>>/adv/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>56246037
Hijackthis then post result on the forums
>>
Was I hacked by the NSA? I don't remember installing this. I read that microcode can be forged. Any truth to that?
>>
>>56251959
>blendr
>random agent spoofer

Doesn't this defeat the point? Am I supposed to do both?
>>
what is it about Windows that it keeps giving me HDD errors and then completely stops reading it?

meanwhile on partedmagic I'm here transferring my romsets and 4GB ISOs with no issues.
>>
Should I jump from Twitter to GNU Social?

Since GNU Social is federated and shit, is it like Diaspora* in that admins of a node have full control over you and your content?
>>
File: cool pepe.jpg (54KB, 575x553px) Image search: [Google]
cool pepe.jpg
54KB, 575x553px
I just learned what CSV files are
>>
Thoughts on Z10PE-D8 Mobo for running a server/desktop combo rig?
>>
>>56252416
throw away your laptop or replace the motherboard, microcode persists in hardware. your laptop can't be considered secure now.
>>
25% off VMWare Workstation Pro lads, should I do it?
>>
>>56252677
Do it for me, anon.
>>
File: iphone unlock in kenya.jpg (50KB, 400x442px) Image search: [Google]
iphone unlock in kenya.jpg
50KB, 400x442px
>>56245838
Is there anyway i can fix this on my own without having to jail break it?
>>
>>56252703
give it back, ja'crispie
>>
Anybody know why my video card is causing screen tearing so bad?

It happens in most games that I play on okay graphics, but now I'm noticing screen tears when I'm just browsing online like scrolling through a page. graphics card is a gtx 1070 by the way.
>>
Got a new 980. Should I leave the old card in the case but disconnected? Seems safer than storing it.
>>
>>56252751
Shit monitor most likely
>>
>>56252763
this. friend used to be so adamant about playing his games on his fancy 64" LCD. Input delay was ass unless he set the scaling to be done by the GPU but nothing fixed the massive screen tearing we had while playing Serious Sam 3 in 4 player splitscreen.
>>
I threw out an old desktop before I discovered Linux.

That was a bad decision.
>>
>>56245838
I need your help, /g/. I just got a Chromecast and I want to be able to stream videos directly from my FTP server to the Chromecast. Unfortunately, literally every single app that claims to be able to do this wants you to install their client on a Windows desktop, then it will access the FTP server from your desktop, stream it to your phone, then cast it from your phone to the Chromcast.
Is there anything that can actually do it, or is there only fucking retarded non-solutions like what I just outlined above?
>>
since CPUs are reverse entropy machines shouldn't computers put out cold instead of heat?
>>
>>56245838
What is happening to my battery?
When charging it takes ages to get to 20% but suddnly jumps to full.

When discharging from 100% it says I have 3 hours left but at around 80% it jumps down to 10%.

Laptop:
Thinkpad x60

Linux Mint Mate
>>
My laptop's wifi has a small problem, I figure since this thread is up I'll mention it.

So, occasionally, the wifi just drops. This only happens on the one laptop, and whenever it happens my wifi is suddenly off, and if I go into the network selector sometimes it'll be blank for a few seconds. The "worst" cases of this are when my wifi drops, and it takes maybe 10 seconds before it lets me attempt to reconnect, and then I'll get 3 or 4 "cannot connect" messages before it reconnects.

The strange thing is that it seems to happen in bursts. Like, sometimes there's no problems for a day or two, but when it does happen it'll happen a few times, and I'll have maybe 30 minutes to 2 hours of my internet hiccupping, and usually I have to go into my network settings to manually fix it (though sometimes it auto-connects when it goes back up.

Is it just a bad chip that makes my wifi bad? It isn't bad enough to send the computer in for repairs, and the problem hasn't gotten any worse in the 6 months I've owned the laptop, so I haven't messed with it. If it ends up being some stupid software problem one of you know about I'd love it if this is fixed easily. I can often play games where I need a constant connection for hours without it ever hiccuping, but it's annoying when it does happen. The "fix" I have is just plugging in my ethernet cable for an hour or so when the hiccuping starts, which works fine.
>>
>>56252763
>>56252797
This is the monitor I use. Is it really that shitty?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009728&FM=1
>>
>>56252914
Seems like the battery itself is busted.

You can get a replacement off Amazon I think, but don't buy third party unless you want to take a gamble on capacity and longevity.
>>
>>56252914
The battery is probably close to dying. Did it suddenly start lasting 1/4 as long, or is it lasting about the same amount of time but the battery display is off?

It could just be badly calibrated, but 99% of the time the battery jumping that much means it's at the end of it's ropes.
>>
>>56252956
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009728&FM=1
are you at least using DVI on that thing?

also

>4ms
>upload every laughing girls image on the internet
>>
>>56252956
4 ms response time
60Hz

yup this is it
>>
>>56252941
What kind of laptop is this?
>>
File: crossover 2795.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
crossover 2795.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
buying korean monitors on ebay. specifically crossover 2795.

is this worth doing? have you had any success with this?
>>
>>56252971
>>56252982

Thank you both for replying, looks like I will have to invest in a new battery.

>>56252982
I'm not sure as I have only had the laptop for a matter of hours because it arrived today.
>>
Dum questions, should I buy two new 140m fans for the front intakes then leave the Default case fan 120 as outtakes or two new 120mm fans as out and in with no 140m fans at all. My outtake fan can only be 120mm sorry bad English
>>
I have this hardware VPN firewall from netgear (pic related). Can someone explain to me exactly what it does? I know that VPNs can help with privacy online, but would this do anything like that?
>>
>>56253010
It's a Dell Inspirion 5755, I'll just copy Speccy in case any of that matters for this.

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
AMD K16 38 °C
Mullins Technology
RAM
12.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0VY15F (P0)
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1600x900@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R5 (Dell) 37 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A5LH
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
>>
>>56253073
I've taken those apart before. The wireless card is literally right under the bottom cover. I'd re-seat it and see if that helps.
>>
I found one of those Bluetooth headsets that go around your neck. One earbud is ripped off. What if I find an aux input cord and solder/rewire it into the headset so I can use it with any headphones. Would it work? Like with actual full over ear headphones?
>>
Purely Hypothetical. Sorry I'm retarded guys, just don't want to ask this somewhere that isn't anonymous. My Dell is dead, it's a decent computer but something inside it fried and I don't know shit about PCs. I want to send it in to get it fixed, but I'm a bit worried because the hard drive is full of all kinds of pirated shit and maybe something else (again, hypothetically). If I send it in for repairs, are they going to check the hard drive and be like "no way, you can't have this back, we're calling the copyright lawyers"? I don't know how to wipe it since it's in a dead computer, and I think opening it up and moving parts like the hard drive might void a warranty or something anyway.
>>
>>56253111
Thanks, I'll google that process just to make sure I don't fuck anything up.
>>
>>56253139
Taking apart a Dell laptop won't void the warranty at all. Simply removing the hard drive before sending it in is probably what I would suggest. There are only a few models where removing the hard drive isn't extremely simple.

How long have you had this machine for? If it's been over a year, the warranty has probably already expired, unless you purchased Complete Care.
>>
>>56253153
http://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1031944042.pdf

Page 28
>>
>>56253158
Would they repair it without the hard drive? Like, there's no chance they'll say "we need every part, send us the hard drive too"?

It's been about 9 months, it's under warranty. I just didn't want to send it in before checking, and this thread happened to be up.
>>
How do I check how much dpi my mouse is performing at?
>>
>>56253205
I used to work at a place that repaired Dell machines in or out of warranty. In a situation like yours, I'd tear down the machine to minimum configuration and slowly swap parts until it can POST. After getting it to POST, I'd run Dell diagnostics with a test hard drive (we'd have like 6 with windows installs on them), and try and boot to windows. The customer's hard drive was almost never part of the equation, unless we suspected that it was the source of the problem, and in that case we'd just run GSmart tests on it.

If a customer's machine (like yours) came in without a HDD, it wouldn't affect the diagnostic process at all.

Just my experience though. Not every repair place will operate the same, but honestly you don't really want to do business with a shop that needs your hard drive for a problem that probably has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>56245838
How do I configure grub to boot directly into windows? Don't want all the normies in my house to get spooked by the splash screen.
>>
>>56253259
I too would like to know.

There was something I tried to do with running a bootable win10 USB with some cmd commands, but was unsuccessful. Grub was still a bastard.
>>
>>56253256
Cool, thanks. I really don't want to end up in trouble over something stupid, I was debating ignoring the warranty and just buying a new computer to avoid any potential problems.
>>
>>56253286
Sure thing buddy. Depending on exactly which laptop you have, removing the HDD isn't very difficult at all. Care to share the model? Chances are I've taken this machine apart before.
>>
I'm trying to figure out how to verify an installer exe with the MD5 hash on the dev's site. Kleopatra either can't do the job or I just don't know how. I've searched and found nothing helpful.
>>
Where can I find legitimate linux drivers for my HP Elitebook 2740p?
>>
Can I configure the RSS downloader of utorrent to only download stuff from 1 hour or newer when I add the RSS instead of downloading the entire fucking RSS fucking up the ratio?
>>
>reinstall windows 7 because I'm autistic
>hardly ever use Windows 7 so I also install Ubuntu alongside it
>Windows 7 never updates, stuck at service pack 1 indefinitely
What the fuck /g/, I thought windows just werked. Is there any way to install the updates I already had downloaded via windows.old?
>>
File: 1433376770187.gif (1MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1433376770187.gif
1MB, 360x240px
i'm relatively inexperienced with linux, and I feel obscenely stupid here

how in the fuck do i close journalctl?
I got the base install for Arch and I'm still in cli, and I cannot close this thing for the life of me
>>
Are the current modbook pro line by axiotron worth getting?
>>
if i build a pc do i need a wifi adaptor inside my computer to receive wi-fi? i'm very confused by this. how does a build recieve wifi?
>>
I made a 7z archive with important data inside and being the retard I am forgot to write the password down and forgot it.

I've googled and tried most of the basic bullshit methods that google and youtube returns with no prevail.

/g/ Is there any chance of me being able to open that archive again?
>>
>>56246157
It costs money to add support, they don't make money supporting something that everybody already has.
>>
>>56253334
nevermind, got it

will report back with dumber questions later
>>
>>56253259
Is there a way to get it to just boot directly into your linux distro? I don't even have anything else on my laptop.
>>
>>56253283
Found the answer myself niggy diggy
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Simple-configuration.html#Simple-configuration
>>
>>56253339
Some motherboards have it built in, otherwise you'll need a wireless card.
>>
How come Windows is still a vulnerable POS O.S. Almost as secure as a Schlage deadbolt.

Literally went through 3rd clean install and "Commonsense 2016 pro" did not help.
>>
>>56253311
> md5sum filename.exe
>>
File: 1359289041957.jpg (37KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
1359289041957.jpg
37KB, 400x249px
Should I switch from Comp. Engineering to Maths degree /g/?

I'm not from 'merica btw.

I like mathematics but it feels like if I switch I will have to work a lot on my free time to catch up in programming.

please help
>>
How do I find out which command it is to assign/open a shortcut on Linux?

>Example, I want to assign Alt+S to open Spotify. How do I know the command to input on shortcut? Writing "Spotify" does nothing.

(Also sorry, newbie on Linux here as you can tell. Trying to learn.)
>>
>>56253071
You don't need that box. You are confusing a vpn you create with one that you access. A vpn is simply a secure connection over the internet between two computers or local networks. When people talk about vpn's for privacy they mean you pay someone somewhere so that you can access their internet connection as if you were there. The vpn is just the thing you use to tunnel their internet to you, so you appear to be using them, using their IP in their country. You could use a homemade vpn connection for things like file sharing or securely redirecting your portable devices' internet connections back home to avoid spying over shady wifi, but you could do that just as easily with a cheap router flashed with custom firmware or even just your computer.

>>56253311
7zip shoots out checksums.

>>56253333
You need 3 updates for windows 7

microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51212
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47351
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53581
>>
File: Untitled.png (58KB, 1065x575px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
58KB, 1065x575px
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/stp/5749219863.html

Is this legit?
>>
Android Studio is super slow and very heavy.
and so is the android emulator.
it's like i can't run both without system grinding to a crawl.
my rig isn't shit, but it's not the bleeding edge either: Y-580 lenovo i7, 6gb RAM, GTX660m
what can i do to make things smoother?
>>
>>56253422
What the fuck does this have to do with technology?
>>
How does IDM download faster than other download managers?
>>
>>56253443
Everything about that is technology.
>>
Good script blocker addon for fire fox?
>>
File: 1429605826974.png (10KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1429605826974.png
10KB, 256x256px
>>56253341
No, 7z applies encryption that you're not going to be able to brute-force.
>>
>>56253443
I believe this is one of those 'sites' on the world wide web.
>>
>>56252990
No I'm using HDMI, is DVI that much better? I just like to be able to have audio and video work on the same cord

and is TN that much better than and IPS monitor?
>>
Is there an itx-friendly rx 480? From what I've heard the reference cooler can barely even hold it's stock clocks.
>>
File: reimu_beer.jpg (175KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
reimu_beer.jpg
175KB, 850x850px
>>56253439
Google employees have workstations with 16 GB of RAM at a minimum. You're basically fucked without more RAM.
>>
/g/, I'm the kind of autist that spends 12+ days on a Windows computer, just wasting my life. I'm running Ccleaner (and it's sub-programs like wiping free space), a few anti-viruses, and Diskdefrag pretty much all the time, whenever I'm not watching videos or working on random projects, I'm running these programs just to see if they catch anything or watch them work. Are there other programs I should have and run all the time, for one reason or another? Stuff to make the computer run better, make it less likely to malfunction, that sort of stuff.
>>
>>56252146
Bump

Is there a way to connect, two table's data in MS word?
>>
>>56253328
You can't. You should consider a thinkpad.
>>
>>56253396
>You don't need that box.
I had a feeling that it would be of no use to me. Thanks for confirming it though. Networking isn't really my thing.

What exactly is it used for though?
>>
>>56253475
uMatrix
>>
So, I want to make a gift to my mother, she wants a portable computer, thing is, she wants something like a netbook (In the sense of nothing too big, 12.5 inches is like the limit), she hates tablets and that stuff.
Mostly for video playing, office and that stuff.

Any suggestions? Doesn't have to be new (I live in a shitty country, I can't get a x220 for a decent price here)
>>
>>56253574
chromebook
>>
>>56253574
Maybe a chomebook of some sort? I've been out of the loop for a while, so I don't know which ones are the best bang for your buck, but the toshiba one looks nice.
>>
>>56253574
Nobody else would suggest this, but I've heard decent things about Chromebooks concerning cheap little laptops.
>>
File: Feels bad, man..jpg (107KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
Feels bad, man..jpg
107KB, 960x544px
>>56253574
Get her a Chromebook, anon. Do it for the lolz.
>>
>>56253391
>>56253391
pls help.
>>
Is there any way to get Edge to play .webms?

I actually enjoy using Edge but webms on 4chan are kind of a deal breaker.
>>
>>56253574
Thinkpad 13
>>
>>56253439
>>56253506
can you suggest a low cost workstation that has (or would support) 16gb RAM?
i need something to make AS+emulator as smooth as running notepad on windows
>>
>>56253665
Any desktop board with four DIMM slots
>>
>>56253375
Find some friends, let the rest just flow thru.
Yes. You should, you may want to have a profound enjoyment of seemly grasping "infinity" the better.
>>
Sure hope there's some huskies in here. Will UW care if I torrent my chinese cartoons on the dorm wifi? Should I get my own connection if I don't want to deal with whatever consequences I may face?
>>
>>56253231
Anyone?
>>
>>56253594
>Thinkpad 13
>>56253606
>>56253633
>>56253641
I was thinking about that, but she really needs Windows.
Browsing in the "eBay" of my country I found the Asus X201e, it's cheap here and looks nice, what do you guys think of it?
>>
>>56253368
If you've had to do it 3 times I'd wager you or some other user is doing a few things you really shouldn't on it. If you don't feel like picking a *buntu, then make sure you're installing windows clean (verified ISO, legit license or activator directly from mydigitalLife), do not use ANY pirated software, use chrome with adblock or equivalent, consider norton dns, upload programs to virustotal.com if you don't explicitly trust the creator, make your user account limited, and don't let tards screw around with your PC when you're not looking. Also throw bitdefender free on there if you want an AV that "just werks" quietly.

>>56253548
You could use it to have two workplaces communicate over long distances as if you had an imaginary cable running between them.

>>56253494
TN's advantage is it's improved response time, which is a big deal if you're really into first person shooters, but the average person would probably prefer the improved color quality of IPS. If your screen or card doesn't support HDMI 2.0 you might have trouble hitting 60hz at that resolution, otherwise HDMI is fine.
>>
File: 90210.png (26KB, 686x696px) Image search: [Google]
90210.png
26KB, 686x696px
>>56253685
>>56253506
>>56253439
1.5 or 2gb RAM for AS = gun in mouth
whollyshitballs
>>
/v/ is useless, anyone here know how i could find and watch the GDC member only videos from 2016?
>>
>>56253770
like running adobe's NLVE on 500 mb lmao
>>
>>56253574
Asus Eee PC
>>
I don't find any good explanations outta the space.
Can someone explain what is the difference in the encryption theme between "cipher" and a "challenge"?
>>
>>56253736
>You could use it to have two workplaces communicate over long distances as if you had an imaginary cable running between them.
Thanks. I guess that's why I got a pair of them. They came with a bunch of computer stuff that someone gave me.
>>
Alright, with all this talk about the Win10 botnet, what is the best distro for privacy? I've heard that Unbuntu is just as bad as windows, and I was wondering if this was true.
>>
File: Ospicker.png (220KB, 1559x1107px) Image search: [Google]
Ospicker.png
220KB, 1559x1107px
>>56253938
No, that's a huge exaggeration. Ubuntu was carting off search results to amazon for a while, but that's off by default now. It was never in the same ballpark as windows. Mint is a small step up from ubuntu, you can go with debian and skip proprietary software if you're serious about it, and then they have even more heavy duty distros out there if security trumps convenience pretty hard for ya. But if you just want something simple I'd stick with the ubuntu derivatives or manjaro.
>>
>>56254025
Shit, computer noob. I pirate loads of expensive shit all the time on a windows 8 machine connected to the internet, should I be afraid of getting that information sold to people who want to sue me or something?
>>
>>56254055
Nah. Be afraid of the people recording your IP. The MPAA has a mad boner for catching torrenters. They can totally do it too, and a judge just put in a big ruling in their favor. Great time to get a vpn or seedbox.
>>
New Thread

>>56254112
>>56254112
>>56254112
>>56254112
>>
>>56254166
If I already have the stuff and it's on my computer, am I at risk? If I keep connecting to the internet but stop torrenting 100%, is that fine and dandy, or will they be able to say "hey, we just checked this guy and he had our files"!

It's worth mentioning I always run Peerblock when I torrent. That's not going to help enough? I don't see the point in paying for a VPN or seedbox so I can avoid paying for other stuff.

It's worth mentioning I mostly go after stuff I don't think I'm likely to get sued for. Tons of anime, some indie games (the ones I didn't want to support financially, like when I wanted to try FNAF knowing it was probably shit). I have some older movies, but stay away from bigger or newer stuff since like 13 months ago I got an email from my internet provider saying "X company has logged you as illegally getting Y movie at Z time, we're protecting your faggot ass and didn't give them details yet but you've got a strike now". Apparently the strike goes away after 1 year of good behavior according to their websites terms on this shit, so maybe I'm "clean" again.

Sorry to be an annoying faggot, this isn't the sort of shit I'd ask in a place that isn't anonymous. When I got that movie I got a strike for, they actually emailed me with the strike the next day. If they caught me with something smaller, like an anime strike, would it be an instant email or would they try to be coy and just record it and wait until they can say "haha, we got 4 strikes against you and didn't mention it yet, so now we'll sue you!"?
>>
>>56249089
Why is this a bad thing? It's just making use of everything you've got. Unless temps are getting high, I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>56252068
You could go the way of the pirates and just use lots of dots between information in the name, but if you're using a system that is finicky enough to not let you use spaces, that might not work.

Some people use dashes, but it can get confusing when you need to hyphenate. Underscores solve this problem. You could probably use a mixture to make it easier to read, or just one.
>>
>>56252205
I disagree with HP. Awful build quality unless you pay out of the ass. I would also perhaps consider Lenovo. Without considering the Thinkpad line, they have really brought up their offerings in the past few years.
>>
>>56252876
Anyone?
>>
File: sadf.png (39KB, 771x485px) Image search: [Google]
sadf.png
39KB, 771x485px
>creating backup so i can do a fresh install of w7
>use acer's built in program
>w/e
>asks to burn 4 dvd's

Is there an easier way around this?
I mean, I can go out and buy 4 dvd's but that's fucking annoying.
>>
>>56254663
Post it here
>>56254112
>>
>>56254243
VPNs are like a condom. If you use it right it pretty much always works. Peerblock is like joining a frat and getting a recommended list of girls who don't seem slutty enough to have STDs, but you're going to be boning new girls every weekend for a year. The list may be technically better than nothing, but you're still gonna catch 'em all.

It's very unlikely you'll face any legal action for stuff you already have. And ISPs don't want to sue you, they don't want to do shit, which is why they've been so lax thus far. They just have to do enough to keep other companies off their backs, and that's going to get harder soon. So just be more careful with how you download in the future.
>>
>>56249965
You mean like how an AC unit or refrigerator cools? I doubt there is a thing like this, and you wouldn't want thia because, esp while idling, condensation is going to accumulate on the cold surface and fuck up your laptop. With any sort-of PC cooling, ambient should be the goal- not below ambient, condensation-territory.

>>56252905
>reverse entropy machines
The closest thing to a machine that "reverses entropy" is an AC unit or fridge. A CPU is a series of constantly-switching transistors. Turning a bunch of transistors on and off generates heat. It draws electritity- You have to plug it into a wall- It generates heat. Hell, an AC unit generates more heat than it generates "cool"- All it does is move heat while also generating more of it, all to make one place (your room) cool. Make sense?

>>56253116
Theoretically, yes. Practically, probably not. The original earbuds run at a specific ohms level at a specific peak wattage. If you are trying to get nice, around-ear headphones to be driven by the bluetooth unit, at best you'll have shitty sounding headphones and at worst you'll break the bluetooth unit and possibly the headphones themselves. I am all for experimenting though- Try it with a pair of shite headphones first and see if you like the outcome.

>>56253574
Chromebook and install ubuntu or some shit. Why does she need windoze? Chromebook is your best and cheapest option with the description provided. Take it or leave it.
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.