[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 35

File: Revolution_OS.jpg (51KB, 325x475px) Image search: [Google]
Revolution_OS.jpg
51KB, 325x475px
Previously on: >>56184720

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: Selection_013.png (49KB, 1157x473px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_013.png
49KB, 1157x473px
How do i fix this
>>
>>56194639
I wish this meme would go away. It's so fucking dead.
>>
>>56194648
Fix your fonts, go to preferences and change to a good font.
>>
>>56194648
Click the arrow and then filter tripcode.

Alternativly install noto fonts.
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-46-14.jpg (116KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-46-14.jpg
116KB, 1024x768px
well what do you know, the meme debian works now

>>56194652
it'll never die
>>
>>56194648
see
>>56194639
>>
>>56194682
Update your screenfetch.
>>
>>56194648
Tell it to fuck off back to plebbit.
>>
>>56194648
use 4chan filter
>>
>>56194696
I've just installed it
if you were referring to the logo, it's because that's Devuan

>>56194648
download 4chanX and put this in your filters under Tripcode:
/^!/;
>>
>>56194682

Ubij se.
>>
File: 1447448063908.jpg (12KB, 226x256px) Image search: [Google]
1447448063908.jpg
12KB, 226x256px
>>56194746
nepristojno
>>
>>56194675
>noto fonts
Wen Quan Yi is good for fallback font.
>>
>>56194648
>that font rendering
>>
>>56194736
screenfetch-dev supports Devuan.

sudo curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch-dev -o /usr/local/bin/screenfetch

sudo curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/KittyKatt/screenFetch/master/screenfetch.1 -o /usr/share/man/man1/screenfetch.1
>>
>>56194648
ttf-symbola-ib
>>
The only way to beat systemd and prevent it from becoming standard forever is to develop a better alternative init system with a modern codebase, that does not become an invasion of the bodysnatchers precisely like systemd

Agree or Disagree?

The future isn't in the past init systems. There's gotta be a new one.
>>
>>56194822
looks good to me
>>
>>56194953
I don't see any problem.
>>
File: little_tux_by_berutiel4-d4w1hru.jpg (14KB, 263x350px) Image search: [Google]
little_tux_by_berutiel4-d4w1hru.jpg
14KB, 263x350px
/fglt/ desktop environment survey time

what's your opinion on

>GNOME
>KDE Plasma
>Budgie
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>XFCE
>LXDE/LXQt
>WM vs DE for productivity
>>
Why is Ubuntu running at like 20 celsius more at idle than my Windows installation?
>>
>>56195231
>nouveau
Because you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>56195176
this isn't plebit
>>
>>56195176
>GNOME3
It works. It's heavy, so only use if you have decent hardware. Shell extensions make it neat. It's lacking in the default menu config options but it's not too shabby. My go-to "heavy" DE.

>KDE Plasma
Never liked it, specially how unstable it is. It feels super bloated, and this is coming from someone that likes GNOME3. The option menus are very good though.

>Budgie
Don't know it

>Cinammon
Very nice GNOME3 fork, specially if you're coming from Windows.

>MATE
Light and great GNOME2-style continuation

>XFCE
Don't like it. Felt broken and unnecessarily complicated

>LXDE
Wonderful. Lightest DE I know. My go-to DE for old hardware, when I don't want to go DE-less.

>LXQt
Haven't tried it yet, but I hear it's slightly heavier than LXDE, but not by much

Eh. Really it's getting in the nitty gritty. It's like asking if someone who uses vim is more productive than someone that uses Visual Studio. WM-only setups take time to get used to, and when you master them you can do everything faster. But it's up to you to know whether it's worth it to make that time investment.
>>
>>56195253
Go be toxic somewhere else, tripfag. Nobody wants you here.
Filtered
>>
My Brother HL-2240 printer was working, then one day all my printing jobs were stuck on pending.

I was going to try removing then readding the printer, but when I removed, I wasn't able to add it again. Not sure what to do since it seems to be recognized, just not in the Printers GUI things.
>>
>>56195176
>GNOME
I like the concept of infinite virtual desktops, but I hate the design, both visual and software design
a DE depending on an init system is just silly.

>KDE Plasma
eats too much RAM for my tastes, 4GB isn't enough to give away to just anyone.

>Budgie
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>XFCE
not a fan. no reason in particular, I just like my DE enough to not switch

>LXDE/LXQt
I'm using LXDE and it's great. Coupled with pytyle I can even get tiling when I need to.
Everything I need is there and everything that isn't is obviously a gimmick.

I prefer DE's, because the WM I'd use would probably be openbox, and after installing a file manager, a panel and a terminal I'd end up with LXDE.
>>
>>56195346
>4GB isn't enough to give away to just anyone.
I have 4GB in total and plasma 5 doesn't come close to using it all.
>>
what's the cutest distro
what's your favorite anime
>>
>>56195395
I'm running more than a DE though and I usually come close to 4gb usage
and I mean actual usage, not just disk cache listed as ram usage.
>>
>>56195428
Please get rid of your trip code and then I'll answer your question.
>>
>>56195444
no
>>
>>56195475
Then fuck off. Filtered
>>
>>56195486
wow rude
>>
>>56195432
How much do you have though?
>>
>>56194939
What's bad about systemd?
>>
>>56195534
4GB
>>
>>56195541
it's compromised
>>
File: 8435592941_712bd53068_z.jpg (112KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8435592941_712bd53068_z.jpg
112KB, 640x640px
opinions on openSuse tumbleweed?
>>
>>56195541
Please fuck off
>>
>>56195578
One of the best rolling release distros, best KDE implementation by far, bloated with layers upon layers of GUI frontends. Slightly lacking official repos, with a weird way of adding more.
>>
I'm still trying to get the hang of using Manjaro. I currently have KDE. How exactly do I install and switch from KDE to Cinnamon or another DE?
>>
File: snapshot1.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot1.png
1MB, 1600x900px
I installed Mint 17.3 KDE /fglt/

I'm pretty new to this whole linux thing but I've heard that you should upgrade the kernel because it gives you speed and security and stuff. On the other hand people at Mint say updating kernels is dangerous and will break things.

It took a while but I managed to find the place where I can update the kernel - and I did, to 4.4.0-34. from 3.9 something. Everything works so far, but I'm scared shitless, waiting for the other shoe to drop. Still, i'm surprised I can only update to 4.4. I've read somewhere that the latest kernel is like 4.7?

Anyway, my main question is, did I mess up my system by this? Will I gain noticeable speed? Or should I just reinstall and start over.
>>
>>56195585
You seem to have clicked on the wrong thread.
You were probably looking for this one:

>>56194260
>>
>>56195541
I'm too stupid to learn how it works

It means people who don't like giving stallman the proper credit have an argument against calling it GNU/Linux because it takes care of nearly every core OS function
>>
File: 1361206171898.jpg (48KB, 459x596px) Image search: [Google]
1361206171898.jpg
48KB, 459x596px
Good /fglt/ youtube channels?
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAngryTeach/videos
inb4 I'm self promoting
>>
>>56195650
Relax. You didn't mess up your system. You likely won't gain anything noticeable either. By default, after upgrading your kernel, the old one is still there, added to your boot menu as another option, so if shit breaks, boot the old one, remove the newer one, and you're back to normal.
>>
>>56195176
You're going to end up ricing and installing alternatives anyways so it doesn't matter

>muh ram, muh deps
doesn't matter on any system you'd install wayland/an X server on
>>
>>56195650
You probably won't notice much difference. Kernel updates can break things but mostly not. Usually if the kernel boots for you then it should be ok.
>>
>>56195650
At most proprietary drivers for the video card won't work with the latest kernel.
I'm on 4.6.6 with nvidia drivers on my desktop and on 4.7.2 on the laptop with intel IGP.
You don't have to reinstall.
>>
>GNOME
shit but usable
>KDE Plasma
shit
>Budgie
shit
>Cinnamon
shit
>MATE
shit
>XFCE
xfeces. worst DE
>LXDE/LXQt
shit
>the one I'm using
the best
>>
>>56194180
I would take a look at Manjaro as well.

They have really good out of the box ISOs for most major DEs and some tiling WMs.
>>
List of /fglt/ approved distributions (incomplete):
>Void Linux
>Exherbo
>Funtoo
>Devuan
>Bedrock Linux
>Source Mage GNU/Linux
>Slackware

If you need systemd:

>Debian
>Gentoo

If you want something out of the box:
>Ubuntu
>Manjaro
>Linux Lite

If you want to be an edgelord while simultaneously being the laughingstock of the Linux community:
>Arch
>>
You should learn what the kernel is.
But as for stability, updating the kernel doesn't usually break anything.
So if you can boot, you are probably safe.
You should keep old kernels, so if you update into something that doesn't work, you can boot into something else.

The alternative is to compile your own.
This teaches you a lot.
>>
>>56195722
>the one I'm using
which one is that
>>
File: 1469541793499.png (405KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1469541793499.png
405KB, 512x512px
>>56194621
This is a good thread to ask. Thanks to Microsoft retarded ideas, i plan to do this in the future [YouTube] Skylake Linux Box with PCIe Passthrough - OVMF + Qemu + KVM = GTA V (embed) the sad part is that i'm a total noob at this computing stuff. For now, i plan to dual boot. So my question is:

¿is there a way to "suspend" Linux when i go to Windows so i don't lose any data (and viceversa)?

>I explain it further since nobody got my question in a last thread

What i want is way that if i'm working in Linux and i want to play a game on Windows, i could go there without shutting down Linux.

Is that even possible or am i out of luck?
>>
>>56195763
When I first joined /g/ everyone and their dog was jerking it over Arch, and now I see more hate for it than anything else.

What changed that made Arch less acceptible than Gentoo?
>>
>>56195176
>GNOME
Gnome 2 > Gnome 3
>KDE Plasma
gas-works
>Cinnamon
Bugs
>Mate
Love It
>XFCE
Bugs
>LXDE/LXQT
Not bad
>>
>>56195844
all the /v/ posters couldn't install it
>>
>>56195838
SSD as boot drive and hibernate
>>
>>56195844
systemd + all the edgy teenagers and anime fags that started using it and thought they were hardcore hackers for installing it.
>>
>>56195838
Not on the same machine
>>
>>56195857
I'll admit, I tried to install it myself, and after encountering an issue that, according to multiple threads around the internet, the only solution was to reinstall arch, I gave up and went back to my normal distro.

But I blame that on me being an impatient retard, not the distro.
>>
>>56195878
>But I blame that on me being an impatient retard, not the distro.

This is the mentality that is fucking obnoxious about Arch

>it's never Arch's fault. Arch is perfect. YOU'RE the problem
>>
>>56195838
hibernation
>>
File: snapshot2.png (111KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot2.png
111KB, 1600x900px
>>56195698
>>56195713
>>56195715
>>56195770
Thanks anons, very useful info!

I do have a few more questions though. So if I don't gain any noticeable speed from this upgrade, does that mean I need to install a distribution that comes with a 4.4 kernel by default and that one would be faster?
What I'm trying to say is: does the older OS negates the kernel upgrade's benefit? Or if you upgrade any distro to a new kernel, it gets as fast as any new one?

Also, do you think I should install these upgrades, or am I better off without? I mean...they are kinda red.
>>
File: Crying-Baby-iStock.jpg (65KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Crying-Baby-iStock.jpg
65KB, 950x534px
>>56195763
>Recommends Manjaro
>Disfavours Arch
Shut the fuck up, neo-/g/
>>
>>56195889
Arch is far from perfect, no distro is perfect, but as somebody coming from xubuntu because it's the only other fucking distro that will install on my piece of shit laptop, I don't have the patience to go through a 3-4 hour install twice
>>
>>56195940
then use Architect which pretty much makes the install process same as , for example, Debian's
>>
>>56195940
Why would it take 3-4 hours?
>>
>>56195889
not as obnoxious as the mentality that if something doesn't perfectly cater to your wincuck needs it's flawed and broken, fucking entitled retards on my board.
>>
>>56195905
>they are kinda red

You have hit the reason as to why most people here don't recommend Linux Mint. Yes, it's an easy to use and friendly derivative of Ubuntu - but the problem is that the codebase behind Linux Mint is really weird. With the default settings, those updates form upstream (From Debian, from Ubuntu) don't download because they first have to test them with the clusterfuck that is the Mint codebase for any incompatibities. They are known to recur to coding malpractice such as violating the namespace of another program, thus causing the original to be unusable. Stuff like that.

The shitty thing is that this includes security updates sometimes. So, by default, sometimes you won't have the latest security patches from upstream because they haven't been tested to be fully compatible with Mint. Which puts you at risk of exploits. And on the flip side, if you install them on Mint, you don't know if it's gonna break anything.

This is why Mint is a good "babby's first" distro, but definitely not something you want to use as your actual operating system.

When you feel comfortable, you should switch to something better, like Debian (and then upgrade it to Testing branch once installed). You sound like you'd be up to learning about it
>>
>>56195905
Kernel updates are bug fixes, regressions, driver updates, file system updates etc.
Having an older kernel vs a newer kernel isn't going to make that big a difference unless you have some hardware that finally gets full support with the new one.

I don't want to be the guy telling you "you chose the wrong distro" but 17.3 with KDE? Why?
If you want a lighter desktop go with something that's not KDE, if you want the most up to date OS go with something that's rolling release or at least based on the latest Ubuntu.
>>
Holy cow, i'm retarded. It was this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

>>56195890
>>56195860
Damn, for years i wondered what was the difference between "Sleep" and "Hibernate", but i only remembered about it when i was shutting down my PC. I suppose Linux has a similar option, right?. (i'll be using Mint for now, since is the only one were i have experience. I will jump into Debian in the future.)

thanks
>>
>>56195763
>>Void Linux
>>Exherbo
>>Funtoo
>>Devuan
>>Bedrock Linux
>>Source Mage GNU/Linux

>/fglt/ "approved"
More like "mom I just heard of those hipster shit distros, so cool that I've never used it myself"

Reminder that only NEET permavirgins suffer from such level of mental insecurity
>>
>>56196022
>Harder than Arch
>hipster shit

>Easier than Arch
>"haha noob get on my level :)"
>>
>>56196034
>Harder than Arch
>Any of those distros
>"Harder"
Have you considered suicide yet, mouth breather?
>>
>>56196022
Out of all of those I've only heard of Funtoo and Devuan, and it's my understanding that Funtoo is just Gentoo for people without patience, and Devuan is Debian for people who are too hipster for systemd

All the others sound like the most obscure bullshit he could find

> Only 8 people in the world have even heard of this distro before, so I definitely recommend it.
>>
>>56196034
i'd say windows is harder than arch overall
>>
File: 2016-08-21-201001_1163x66_scrot.png (12KB, 1163x66px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-21-201001_1163x66_scrot.png
12KB, 1163x66px
pic related is my OS partition.
the fedora partition was enlarged, but I need to expand the filesystem.
Do i need to extend ext and gparted is just displaying it wrong or is the filesystem actually "lvm2 pv"?
>>
>>56196053
>All the others sound like the most obscure bullshit he could find
Exactly. Also I'd bet the NEET only started Linux this month but his spamming is quite persistent
>>
>>56196074
epic
>>
>>56196091
you think i'm joking? how much experience have you had with both?
>>
>>56194939
Agree in beat systemd, but some of us still like sysvinit way of scripts, and so we don't think it was ever broken, the new init better have something really cool and unix like to provide, and don't bother in making a new init if is either on python or shit libraries like that.

By the way, beating systemd is not all about having good programming skills, systemd has Red Hat bigots to force everybody to join the borg collective. Never mind there is a better alternative than theirs, what they actually want is vendor lock-in. Remember upstart, not even Canonical oppose them. Also the last guys who tried to make a sane alternative got trolled, hard https://github.com/servicemanager/servicemanager

So good luck with systemd and its trolls.
>>
File: saa.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
saa.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>56195763
>>Void Linux
>>Exherbo
>>Funtoo
>>Devuan
>>Bedrock Linux
>>Source Mage GNU/Linux

O shit anon r u an ebic haxor? R u da legiun XD?
>>
>>56196103
let me guess, because pacman -Syu is easier than keeping software up-to-date in Windows?

Windows doesn't break every other major kernel update like Arch does.
>>
>>56196053
slackware is older than anything you've used, get the fuck out
>>
Is there any reason I should make a swap file on a new installation?

8 gigs of ram
>>
>>56196053
Is not obscure bullshit, fuck you illiterate pleb
>>
>>56196143
yes.
>>
>>56196143
no
>>
>>56196140
>my distro is older than yours so it's better

BTFO
>>
>>56196135
>Windows doesn't break every other major kernel update like Arch does.
t. never used Arch before

>>56196140
And yet only a handful of people use it. Slackware needs a larger dev team
>>
>>56196143
Do you do high end video editing or 5 simultaneous virtual machines with full GUI?
>>
>>56196053
>he doesn't know Void Linux

sad
>>
I installed slackware.

Why would anyone use this piece of literal dogshit?
>>
>>56196184
Void is a useless piece of shit with no real driver support
>>
File: lintimeline1.png (327KB, 1860x1984px) Image search: [Google]
lintimeline1.png
327KB, 1860x1984px
>>56196171
>one of the oldest distros that's still mantained
>hipster bullshit
kill yourself
>>
>>56196178
>le Arch is le extremely stable!!!

Arch forums are flooded with complaints of breakage after every kernel update.
>>
>>56196209
>Not even denying to have never used Arch
>looks for forums and bug reports
>Oh that means it's a buggy distro XDD
Shitposters belong to >>>/b/
>>
>>56196181

No just normal daily use.

Can I set up a swap file post-installation if I need one?
>>
>>56196244
you won't need one
>>
>>56196207
Nobody cares how old it is, it's an unusable pile of hipster bullshit

also
> "maintained"
kek
>>
File: firefox_2016-08-19_21-29-34.jpg (143KB, 653x540px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-08-19_21-29-34.jpg
143KB, 653x540px
>>56196236
>>Oh that means it's a buggy distro XDD
exactly, just like systemd is a buggy piece of shit
>>
>>56196244
You can make a swap file later and skip the big swap partition.
>>
>>56196005
Well I'm still pretty new. I started out on Ubuntu, but I did not like the look and feel of the distribution so I switched to Mint that was more Windows like. I'm open to the possibility of switching to Debian later though, when I gained a bit more experience. I'm definitely interested in how Linux works.

>>56196006
I don't know. I just like KDE. I've seen on Distrowatch that there's a newer version on other distros but I wasn't a fan of the theme of it.

Also, I think I did break something, I can't choose files to post here on 4chan, lol. Very odd. I'll research that later.
>>
@56196276

epic post my dude, here's your (You)
oh wait.
>>
>>56196135
i've had more system update-related issues in windows than in arch
>>
slackware is a meme distro
>>
>>56196278
KDE5/Systemd/Wayland master race here.

Go fuck off back to your half assed piece of shit distro that use some crippled init than systemd, NEET turd
>>
>>56196199
It used to be a good distro compared to what else was available at the time (like collecting all the packages yourself from the developers).
Then Debian stole the show cause their package manager actually did something.
Now there are only 2 middle-aged bearded guys left sitting in some basement near MIT who reminisce about the time their lives mattered, and so they keep "maintaining" their project because it's the only thing that still connects them to their youth, and every year a few curious people install it just to see if there's something to it, or why it's still around.
>>
>>56196344
>>>/out/
>>
>>56196349
>wayland
sure thing buddy lmao
>>
What distro for a refurbished X220 with no prior Linux knowledge my dudes?
>>
>>56196349
Fuck off samefag
>>
>>56196379
Manjaro LXDE
>>
>>56196380
Was that your first post on 4chinzz?
>>
>>56194648
wot distro
>>
>>56196401
I was leaning towards Manjaro. Thanks, my man.
>>
>>56194648
Install fonts, japanese ones
>>
>>56196351
newfriend who couldn't install slackware detected
>>
>>56195763
Hello again

Go away
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 275x183px
>>56196472
Expect me. I neber forget :D I neber forgib :D install la void :DDD
>>
>>56196440
Just take a look at their fucking website.
The second newest post is from 2013.
>>
File: 1463869988499.png (65KB, 921x199px) Image search: [Google]
1463869988499.png
65KB, 921x199px
>>56196526
?
>>
>>56196526
Why is that surprising? Slackware is dead, survived like a cockroach but had ZERO contribution/impact to the Linux community
>>
>>56196549
Can you fucking read?
>>
>>56196568
cuck
>>
Just pay attention on this troll. Happens every time someone mentions a distro without systemd or getting rid of systemd.

Every time.
>>
Why is BunsenLabs the comfiest distro?
>>
>>56196592
No relevant distros avoid systemd
>>
>>56196610
It's Debian with openbox+tint2

So really you're just saying Debian is the comfiest distro
>>
should this work on the 2015?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBookPro11,x

inb4 i brick my only laptop lol
>>
>>56196691
Macs are a pain in the ass to use with Linux

You've been warned

Apple owns your computer and loves to lock you into their stuff
>>
List of meme distros:
Linux Mint
ElementaryOS
Devuan
Void Linux
Exherbo
Funtoo
Sabayon
Manjaro
Antergos
Apricity
Chakra
openSUSE
deepin
Solus
Slackware
Kali
>>
Hi /fglt/! I have a Creative Soundblaster E1. It's an external sound card, and it works pretty good with Linux (I'm running Ubuntu 16.04). It is connected via USB, and has two minijack ports where sound is coming out. One of the two minijack ports can, in the Windows software for the device, be retasked as a microphone jack. I don't know how to configure this, or where to look further. I've been looking for a solution to this for about a week, and I just thought maybe somebody here knew some way to retask the minijacks on an external sound card.
>>
>>56196719
Include Remix OS
>>
>>56196719
You forgot Arch
>>
>>56196691
If anything goes wrong, you can always put OSX back on, can't you?
>>
I need to -Syu without upgrading my kernel. Can I just --ignore linux and be done with it?
Do packages that depend on the ignored package also get ignored automatically?
>>
File: ptp.png (39KB, 970x452px) Image search: [Google]
ptp.png
39KB, 970x452px
>>
>>56196741
Arch is the second most popular distro in /g/. First is Ubuntu.

The very two best
>>
>>56196719
every ubuntu spinoff that is just ubuntu with a different DE

every _ spinoff that is just _ with a different DE, actually.
>>
>>56196780
>Makes a list of the meme distros
>Forgets two top five meme distros
>Claims they're popular
lol
>>
>>56196716
Trust me m8 I know. I was up for like a day straight trying to fix this fucker. I say fuck it, pay the school 30 dollars to fix it then sell it to some pleb for 800, then buy a Thinkpad and libreroot+arch. Fuck this mac firmware reset bullshit
ree
>>
>>56196778
Yeah you should be fine. If you are doing that I'd suggest you stay on Linux-lts
>>
>>56196780
>Arch is the second most popular distro in /g/
that doesn't make it good
>>
>>56196801
It is popular. see >>56196812

>>56196812
Better than the most
>>
>>56196719
Isn't Antergos just Arch with an installer so that mentally deficient weebs can use it too?
>>
>>56196778
Partial updates aren't supported and you shouldn't do them.

Source: official Arch wiki.
>>
In firefox, when you go to preferences, click advanced, and click data choices it's blank for me. Is it blank for anyone else?
>>
>>56196828
yes, which makes Arch a meme distro, so all's good
>>
>>56196779
> Ubuntu is not Linux
BTFO
T
F
O
>>
>>56196762
The mac efi boot partition is fucked with all the bullshit that came out in the last year trying to show how insecure mac can be. I literally cannot install the OSX back because the efi trojan will corrupt it. I was reading that this shit may be like firmware deep and totally fucked.
>>
>>56196837
Are you retarded?
>>
>>56196855
no, are you?
>arch isn't a meme distro
lol, stop kidding yourself
>>
>>56196793
I'd argue that Unity Ubuntu is the only meme spinoff of Ubuntu, I'd rather use Xubuntu even though I uninstall XFCE and just use openbox, because then I don't have to deal with all the amazon bloat.
>>
>>56196873
>>>/b/
>>
>>56196835
yes
>>
>>56196888
What distro are you using?
>>
>>56196900
Void you fucking pleb git gud
>>
>>56196900
Gentoo
Firefox 48.0
>>
>>56196877
The Amazon "bloat" was a 100kb package that could be uninstalled with an apt-get remove, and isn't even pre-installed in the current version.
>>
>>56196925
What the fuck are you going on about?

>>56196928
Thanks. I'm using arch linux and this looks a problem with firefox for linux in general rather than one distro.
>>
>>56196956
Oh I wasn't aware they'd removed it.

Still Unity is a pretty meme DE by itself
>>
>>56196971
It's been like that since 47 IIRC
>>
>>56194621
how to install a thing to let me play windows games on linux.

I have a gtx980 how do I get it to work with linux so I can play all my games.
>>
>>56196998
>All my games
GPU pass through
>>
>>56196994
Right, I found a way to turn off all telemetry and health report settings via about:config so I'll have to do that until they fix this bug.
>>
File: firefox_2016-08-21_21-17-47.jpg (10KB, 390x101px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-08-21_21-17-47.jpg
10KB, 390x101px
lol
>>
I'm on fedora and when I try to "dnf install wine", it downloads both i686 and x86_64 versions of all the packages.
After everything is downloaded I get the following output:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Transaction check error:
file /etc/OpenCL/vendors/pocl.icd from install of pocl-0.13-4.fc24.i686 conflicts with file from package pocl-0.13-4.fc24.x86_64
file /usr/bin/pocl-standalone from install of pocl-0.13-4.fc24.i686 conflicts with file from package pocl-0.13-4.fc24.x86_64

why do these packages conflict and how do I resolve this?
>>
>>56196998
it's my personal advice that you avoid WINE and any emulation like the plague. You don't want to be embedding anything Microsoft into your Linux OS.

I think by far the best way to play Windows games on Linux is to have a properly set up virtual machine running on it's own physical hard drive and has access to it's own GPU with PCI passthrough. This way you get true native performance and don't mess up your OS with Windows stuff.
>>
I've been trying to install i3-gaps-git on my new Arch install, but it doesn't seem like the build environment is correct (or something like that).

Each time I try to makepk -sri it lists a header file that is missing. I can go through and manually symlink all the header files to /usr/include, but I shouldn't have to do that.

I've tried reinstalling all the base and base-devel packages, but that didn't do anything.
>>
>>56197014
>>56197124
That's not playing on Linux
>>
I'm trying to get Blender thumbnails working in Thunar.

I've got a blender.thumbnailer in /urs/share/thumbnailers with the following content:

[Thumbnailer Entry]
TryExec=/usr/share/blender/2.77/scripts/blender-thumbnailer.py
Exec=/usr/share/blender/2.77/scripts/blender-thumbnailer.py %u %o
MimeType=application/x-blender;

The blender-thumbnailer.py wasn't installed with the package on arch (or I couldn't find it) so I coped it from here https://github.com/dfelinto/blender/blob/master/release/bin/blender-thumbnailer.py

It doesn't show any thumbnails though. Anything else I need to do or did I do soemthing wrong?
>>
>>56196088
actually gnome-disks is showing my /root partition to be Ext4
what am I supposed to believe?
>>
>>56197122
install gentoo
true multilib support
>>
>>56197122
You resolve it by not using Fedora because the multilib support is garbage.
>>
How can I get my camera to auto-mount using libgphoto2, regardless of what file manager I use?
So far I can only import pictures with Shotwell.
>>
>>56197124
>You don't want to be embedding anything Microsoft into your Linux OS

That's gonna be hard, considering Microsoft contributed to the Linux Kernel.
>>
>>56197253
is the script executable?
have you tried to manually generate a thumbnail with the script?
>>
File: 1461677734506.jpg (114KB, 1040x990px) Image search: [Google]
1461677734506.jpg
114KB, 1040x990px
Rec me some fonts for firefox, /fglt/.
>>
What's the most lightweight file manager that has proper image previewing.
>>
>>56197390
neep
>>
>>56197402
Ranger?
>>
>>56197415
Ranger is text based, there won't be a file preview for it. I need to use a graphical file manager.
>>
>>56197455
PCManFM
>>
>>56197455
install w3m and edit ranger's config to enable file previews
>>
>>56197474
>>56197496
I'll give these two a try. Thank you anons.
>>
File: w3mimgpreview.png (220KB, 586x424px) Image search: [Google]
w3mimgpreview.png
220KB, 586x424px
>>56197455
So what? Still can have file previews.
You wanted the most lightweight for whatever reason, now don't complain
>>
>>56197519
I didn't know that you could use w3m with ranger for file previews. Now that I know, i like it.
>>
>>56197519
why anyone would do this to themselves is beyond me.
there is literally no benefit of doing graphical tasks like managing images in a terminal.
>>
>>56197550
Don't ask me, but it surely is the most lightweight method I assume.
>>
I changed Gentoo's kernel to vanilla 4.7.1 and the wireless won't turn on. I can't find any of the network options in GNOME either.
Which packages should I probably install?
>>
>>56197550
>>56197571
>:open_with mcomix

There isn't any reason to have image thumbnails in ranger its retarded.
>>
>>56197575
The kernel with the required wifi module?
>>
File: 1442448220273.png (278KB, 554x539px) Image search: [Google]
1442448220273.png
278KB, 554x539px
>>56197612
Go away annoying clown.
>>
>>56197402
coreutils + proper filenames
>>
>>56197575
Boot your old kernel.

cd /usr/src/linux
zcat /proc/config.gz > /usr/src/linux/.config
mount /boot
make oldconfig
genkernel --install --no-mrproper all
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

You should already know how to do this shit if you followed the handbook, get better at Gentoo.
>>
>>56197402
pcmanfm uses up 53 MiB of memory if i open /bin in it.
if that's still not lightweight enough for you then I'd suggest avoiding images in general.
>>
>>56183178
>This is still a thing
>>
>>56197825
What about it? Guy said he'll leave them alone if they leave us alone. All UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems must be in peace to fend off the winkids.
>>
>>56196976
Not really, it's modern and functional.
>>
>>56197184
Bump
>>
So for arch linux, typing pacman -Syu is all I need to type to upgrade my packages. What does it mean by a ful system upgrade, it checks every single package for if there is an update?
>>
arch needs its own thread for power users and leave this bullshit thread to noobian and noobuntu users
>>
File: 1468435741619.jpg (43KB, 579x432px) Image search: [Google]
1468435741619.jpg
43KB, 579x432px
>>56196719
List of meme distros:
every distro

GNU/Meme
>>
>>56197736
Do you actually know what any of those commands mean, or do you just memorize that crap thinking you'll "learn about operating systems".
>>
>>56198069
Pretty much, arch only supports full system upgrades, where all new updated packag
>>56198069
es are installed. It doesn't support partial upgrades, where the user selectively chooses the packages to upgrade.
>>
File: 1471710706329.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1471710706329.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
>try to fix Gentoo by chrooting into it from the live cd
>no internet connection in the chroot
>>
>>56198069
Exactly.
If you've installed stuff from the AUR also, you might want to install yaourt and do:

yaourt -Syua

to upgrade everything including AUR-installed packages.
>>
>>56197925
Also slow and cumbersome.
>>
>>56198185
not him, but if you've been around Linux for a while, that stuff starts to make sense.
>>
>>56198348
Can you even read Japanese?
>>
>>56198491
No, but A E S T H E T I C
>>
File: 1412897525825.jpg (212KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1412897525825.jpg
212KB, 1280x960px
hello friends, I am about to hang myself out of sheer frustration from trying to get Starcraft 2 to work under gnu/linux.

I've tried play on linux and wine, both tremendous failures. Any guides, tips, help?
>>
>>56198570
Use a synthetic fiber rope, it's much more durable than hemp and won't break.
You should make sure to drop at least 5 feet to ensure a clean snap and not hang there choking for minutes before you finally croak.
>>
>>56198507
god damn you're gay
>>
>>56198570
That shit has gold status, what are you doing? No, don't answer, that was rhetorical.
>>
Video thumbnail previews have just stopped working for me in Dophin, any one have any idea how I can get it working again? I have ffmpegthumbs installed and has previously worked.
>>
Any guides about Linux security that is up-to-date ?
>>
>hook my printer up to linux machine
>stops halfway through first page

epic Linux, simply epic

It can't even get printing right.
>>
>>56198898
>I have a shit printer, b-b-but it's linuxs fault.
>>
>>56198914
It was printing perfectly on my Windows machine.

It IS Linux's problem.
>>
>>56198815
Install Pentoo
>>
File: 1456516744716.jpg (96KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
1456516744716.jpg
96KB, 480x400px
>>56198925
>It was printing perfectly on my Windows machine.
>>
>>56198945
Do you use Arch? You sound exacty like somebody that uses Arch.
>>
>>56198898
Not many printers work natively. But this days you can use 'printer managers' under. WINE or Android emulators.

Many printers work with google services. If you sign up, it'll show im chrome://devices
>>
>>56198619
>>56198691
thanks friends
>>
File: 1448058094610.png (7KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1448058094610.png
7KB, 500x500px
>>56198928
>It actually exists.
>>
>>56198966
>>56198977 here, I use Arch. Hows not being able to take a banter correlate to Arch?
>>
>>56198977
>chrome://devices
wat
>>
>>56199009
>acting like a retard counts as banter in 2011+5
>>
>>56199016
Ask. Google, im on a traffic
>>
>>56199019
>current year
>still using the current year meme
>>
>>56199041
botnet?
>>
>>56197124
Bumping this, is this really a thing? A VM set up on it's HD? Can you link me a tutorial for a noob, I don't know what it means to have access to it's GPU with PCI passthrough
>>
how is kde on fedora? i'm getting tired of arch and want something more stable but up to date enough for the kde development cycle
>>
>>56199082
How about Debian Sid?
>>
>>56199082
Manjaro would be perfect for you.
>>
>>56199082
What exactly do you mean by "stable"?
Did Arch break your system during regular use?
>>
>>56199082
kde neon
>>
So i got yelled at for using Kali as main OS, then i went to Antergos as main os. But now there's no commands that i know anymore, apt-get update doesnt even work in this shit OS.

What distro has the same fucking commands as Kali, and is not vulnerable.
>>
File: 1466522207372.jpg (24KB, 239x251px) Image search: [Google]
1466522207372.jpg
24KB, 239x251px
>>56199303
Please be bait.
>>
>>56199303
Kali is based on Debian, so get Debian. That said, why did you ditch Kali? Because people bullied you? Jesus christ.
>>
>>56199303
antergos is arch based, the package manager is pacman. check it's manpage
>>
>>56199260
i'd rather something that works better out of the box, arch was enough of a pain to setup
>>56199281
>>56199261
i think arch itself is the problem, my main issues have been the kde automount tools not actually working, random plasma crashes i wasn't having on neon, and steam games crashing xorg
>>56199292
this is what i was using before and might return to
>>
>>56199329
Well, on one hand it's kind of a pussy thing to get bullied off of something. But on the other, he was doing something very stupid, and hopefully he listened to the reasons why it was dumb to use Kali as your daily driver.

>>56199303
Why were you using a pen-testing specialized flavor of Debian as your OS? I mean, you can sure...but why???????????

Just use Debian

>>56199356
It works well out of the box
>>
>>56199329
Because i was scared they were telling the truth, that i could get armitaged by a shitter if my IP got out.
>>
>>56199372
>Anon gets memed
>>
>>56199362
Kali does a good job for it's purpose and runs very well a main distro if you configure it like one (creating a user, enabling bluetooth, etc). If he enjoys pentesting, it's the perfect distro for him.
>>
File: retard.jpg (22KB, 4000x366px) Image search: [Google]
retard.jpg
22KB, 4000x366px
>>56199303
>>
>>56199397
He doesn't even know what a package manager is. Do you really think he's into pentesting?
>>
>>56199372
Two reasons not to use Kali as your daily driver:

>It's set to use root by default. It's terrible practice to run everything as root. Never do that.
>The distro is designed as a pentesting tool you install on an USB or virtual machine

One reason that is not a concern:

>The one you just said
>>
>>56199356
Arch isn't the problem. YOU'RE the problem. Have you thought of that?
>>
>>56199415
Well, valid argument.
>>
>>56199372
>armitaged
?
>>
>>56199397
Oh i was just sitting in root sqlmapping sites in india, had a great time.

Even bought a year of private internet access just for the purpose.

>>56199415
That's kinda a motivator for "building" up a system myself based on what commands i know from kali.

I will be studying sysadmin shit from today also, and there will be unix classes next semester. Just want to get a head start, and i'm starting a bachelor in digital forensics in a year. Right now i don't know much, but i learn fast.
>>
>>56199417
who are you quoting
>>
>>56199434
It's a hacker term. You don't use Kali, you wouldn't understand.
>>
MIT/Linux when?
>>
>>56199303
>Installing Kali on a hard drive and using it as your main OS

This sounds almost as dumb as installing Tails to a hard drive and using it as your main OS, but not quite.
>>
>>56199445
>I will be studying sysadmin shit from today also, and there will be unix classes next semester. Just want to get a head start, and i'm starting a bachelor in digital forensics in a year. Right now i don't know much, but i learn fast.
Screencap your posts you made today and read them in 2 years.
>>
>>56199447
>who are you quoting

yer mum fgt

>not realizing green text has multiple possible uses
>>
File: thefuck.png (62KB, 591x957px) Image search: [Google]
thefuck.png
62KB, 591x957px
Are they tring to be funny? I'm not familiar with sites from the 90s.

So they mean i should get 10 torrents, which gives me 26kb of files then combine it?

>>56199467
Alrightio
>>
>>56199467
This is a great idea. >>56199445
Please do this. You won't regret it
>>
>>56199468
newfag spotted
>>
>>56199472
Okay, this is definitely bait now. Good job.
>>
>>56199492
It's actually fucking not, i have never in my life managed to navigate these shitty ass directories. Why the fuck can a bootlegg distro make a proper iso download and these fuckers can't?
>>
>>56199467
so glad i can't look at the shit i was posting in the past.
>>
>>56199472
I'll be kind.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/

Just download the iso at the bottom. That one includes non-free firmware for ease of installation.

Or if you want the pure, free version

https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
>>
>>56199504
https://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Click amd64, presumably.
>>
File: Whatthefuckkk.png (72KB, 740x963px) Image search: [Google]
Whatthefuckkk.png
72KB, 740x963px
>>56199513
Thank you, i was getting flustered as fuck there.

I need to rid my laptop of this hellish Argentos arch crap fast.
>>
>>56199419
is there a fool proof way to install steam on a fresh install? i've tried a lot of shit and i still get the libGL error: failed to load driver:

if i try running it with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 it opens but i get the random game crashes
>>
>install gnome 3 based DE
>no audio devices detected

>install any other DE
>all devices work fine

but, i want to use cinnamon...
>>
>>56199513
Another question, this debian ISO isn't big in size. I'll spend hours apt-getting here won't i?

Does this have a GUI when i boot?
>>
>>56199472
>>56199531
I don't blame you. If you know what you're doing the site is easy to navigate, but for a newcomer it can be confusing

Once you finish your net install, you should decide if you want to stay on the Stable branch (default) or jump to Testing or Sid. Most desktop users of Debian use Testing. Stable's mostly used for servers. If you do want to upgrade, it only takes editing a text file.
>>
Babbys first unbound instance

Can someone help clarify details about the config:

Looking at this config and with my retard level knowledge I'm trying to understand why you still need forward zones specified.
I thought the main point was to query root servers every time and then go down to avoid having to query third party DNS servers that can not be trusted.

Why is there still a local zone entry in the config files specified here?

I must be missing something big here in my understanding.
https://calomel.org/unbound_dns.html
>>
should I install Arch Linux?
I heard it is a meme
>>
>>56199450
that's GNU/Linux

the GNU part is technically out of MIT
>>
>>56199570
It's a net install. It's a small ISO with a nice friendly graphical installer (choose graphical install when it boots). It downloads everything it needs for the base install automatically, so you don't have to do crap other than partitioning and choosing what DE you want (if any). So yes, you will have the GUI of your choosing.
>>
>>56199574
Oy vey this Antergos shit is embedded in my laptop now, can't even boot the USB.

Fucking faggots at #anonops telling me to get this piece of shit distro
>>
>>56199589
Yeah got it working now, thank goodness. Had to use the bios bootmenu.

Much appreciated, should've never left you guys.
>>
>>56199590
There is only one sane and mature GNU/Linux distro and it's called Debian.
>>
Are the different OS good for different things?
Which one is 'the best' for multimedia like music and animu?
>>
>>56199590

Have you tried killing yourself yet?
>>
>>56199583
just stick with ubuntu, if there is something on linux it will definitely work on ubuntu but you have no guarantee with anything else
>>
>>56199607
I'm glad it worked anon. If you have any further problems just let us know. Lots of Debian-friends here.
>>
>>56199610
arch loonix
>>
>>56199303
...You know, I love the free software movement, the open source community, and all that. I really do.

But occasionally, I see shit like this, and I do wonder if making shit like Kali available to *every* retard out there is really a good idea.
>>
>>56199617
I was close when i learned that the fucking faggots that made arch decide to swap the apt-get for pacman some shit get.

God damn satanist distro
>>
I actually want to try installing Gentoo on my desktop. Should I print the handbook guide on their wiki or is there a better guide available?
>>
>>56199622
>using a distro made by a company which lies to it's users, spied on it's users, is friends with microsoft, activly destorys the community and linux marketshare with porting Ubuntu to Windows 10

fuck off
>>
>>56199634
I wish Kali made it absolutely fucking clear that it's not meant to be used as a daily driver distro. It's a tool. Not an OS meant to be used normally.

Tails does a good job at this on their website, at least.
>>
>>56199635
All package managers are effectively the same. If you know how to use one, there is no reason you can't use them all by glancing over man pacman or man apt
>>
>>56199590
Yea you have to login as root and do ; dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
>>
>>56199630
Why that? I heard arch sucked dick. In fact, there's a thread up that shit talks manjaro
>>
>>56199676
I know you're trying to ebin and bait people, but please don't do it in a thread primarily oriented at new-friends. You'll confuse the shit out of them and spread misinformation.
>>
>>56199667
Don't listen to the memers, Kali can be used like evey other distro as main OS.
>>
>>56199676
Very funny! Haha what a comedian you are

http://docs.kali.org/policy/kali-linux-relationship-with-debian
>>
>>56199699
I'm usually all for that, but this guy seems violently retarded. Memeing on him is a path to Heaven.
>>
>>56199685
just leave this thread already, idiot
you don't even know how linux works since dd can't write to mounted drives
>>
>>56199699

You're right, I should have realized this was a friendly thread. Sorry anon.
>>
>>56199720
I might come across as a retard, but i've been awake for almost 18 hours now. And i've spent 4 of them in Arch hell, so give me a break kindly.

t.Debian installing guy
>>
Okey, i think i had Gnome for Kali.

Gnome
Xfce
KDE
Cinnamon
Made
LXDE

Suggestions?

t.Debian installing guy
>>
>>56199746
bspwm
>>
>>56199746
LXDE
>>
>>56199746
Did you like what you had on Kali?
>>
Old thread: >>56199770
>>
>>56199758
Yes i loved everything about the distro, but i need to learn not have it all available at 1 click.

I went for Gnome since i realized people here could trick me into some awful stuff i couldn't manage.

What are some must have apps for my new Debian?
>>
>>56199746

Sorry for memeing on you earlier. I believe kali used gnome, but if you're coming from windows Cinnamon would be what you're accustomed to, and it's based off of Gnome. I would recommend Cinnamon, as gnome shell without extensions can be a little jarring.
>>
>>56199786
Continue on new thread
>>56199770
>>56199770
>>56199770
>>56199770
>>
>>56195763
>>Void Linux
I see it recommended on /g/ since a very long time, yet it's still around #130 at Distrowatch, how come it won't ever even break top 100?
>>
>>56199660
their guide is just fine as it details every installation step

Actually very easy to install the base system assuming you know basic GNU/Linux OS utils
>>
>>56199667
>tool

use a real distro and install the "tool" you need
Kali is a meme reserved for Hollywood
>>
>>56194648
Get a mac.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.