[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 42

File: 1453150255750.jpg (329KB, 1024x577px) Image search: [Google]
1453150255750.jpg
329KB, 1024x577px
Previously on: >>56179567

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: http://fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man <insert command here>
https://wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
https://wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
https://www.gnu.org

Friends:
>>>/t/707928 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
>>>/t/713097 - /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
https://ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp
>>
install bsd
>>
Fuck BSD
>>
>>56184739
Stop false flagging BSD users and /BSD/
>>
>>56184754
sry
>>
File: jew.jpg (40KB, 491x491px) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
40KB, 491x491px
>>56184751
There is no need for BSD and GNU/LINUX users to be divided and hostile towards each other. Winblows is the true enemy.
>>
>>56184772
this
>>
>>56184772
I agree, the shill just got my nerves.
>>
what's better for installing arch, architect or arch-anywhere? i want kde without all the application bloat you get in antergos
>>
>>56184815
I'm willing to bet most of them are either false flags or just bored shitposters. /bsd/ has to deal with a lot of shitposters as well.
>>
Can someone post the /fglt/ code of conduct?
>>
>>56184854
I only have this

Remember, whenever you can:
Ignore Microsoft/anti-Linux trolls.
Ignore BSD/anti-GNU trolls.
Ignore anti-OpenRC/anti-Upstart/anti-Mir trolls.

Mark them as bait. You are invited to share/create copypasta to prevent doubts they create.
>>
>>56184820
using architect since i was recommended that last thread.

messed up the first go at it, but that was just because I wasn't paying attention. easy enough though, let's hope it goes through this time, the hold up at the moment is my internet speed
>>
>>56184854
be friendly
>>
File: 1469491450368.jpg (233KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1469491450368.jpg
233KB, 1280x1280px
So I have a little annoying problem, heavy io seems to just slow everything to a crawl.

Extracting a large archive, adding a big torrent, moving a lot of files, etc.

Everytime I do something like that, the entire system slows to a crawl, but my cpu/ram usage during it is fine.

Any advice?
>>
What file to edit to change when xorg kills the display?
>>
Just downloaded Ubuntu 16.04
what should I install first?
How do i uninstall amazon store thing -anything else i should uninstall?
>>
>>56185599
The amazon thing is disabled, you don't need to do anything. It comes with loads of stuff, what else do you want your computer to do outside of all the programs you already have?
>>
>>56185449
Which DE and file manager?

>>56185463
.xinitrc
>>
File: CopyofIMG_3067.jpg (209KB, 957x768px) Image search: [Google]
CopyofIMG_3067.jpg
209KB, 957x768px
I will, in the near future, start to work as informatics technician, to install and fix computers. In this function, it's high probable I will need to install proprietary operating systems on the clients' computers. Maybe gratis-ware as Windows 10, maybe pirated Windows 8.1. How to continue to live after doing this?
>>
>>56185672
First i want to customize my desktop
>>
>>56185599
First thing you should always run:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo systemctl reboot

then:

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras unity-tweak-tool

Also I am quite partial to the game called Pioneers, it's a computer version of Settlers of Catan.

sudo apt install pioneers
>>
>>56185745
dwm and pcmanfm
>>
on windows my laptop can charge to 100% but on linux it only charges to 97%, why?
>>
>>56185791
You shouldn't have installed ubuntu then.
>>
>>56185757
For people who live in ameriland, I never understood why they don't go the Red Hat way and start a service oriented business offering GNU/Linux.
>>
>>56185599
>what should I install first?
Only you can know this.
>>
>>56185829
I don't live in USA.
Also, I wanted to work with hardware maintaining.
>>
>>56185800
I'm totally lost, only thing I know might do that is something to do with java or some badly closed process. You probably already check the htop output anyway.
>>
>>56185795
>Pioneers
>a computer version of Settlers of Catan
Do you have any pic?
>>
>>56185897
Yeah, nothing fishy with htop.

The strange thing is that I can actually run a windows vm and extract the same archive in a shared folder and the system won't flinch at all.
>>
File: client.png (261KB, 737x744px) Image search: [Google]
client.png
261KB, 737x744px
>>56185913
nevermind, omg so sexy
>>
What's deadbeef called in the ubuntu repo?
sudo apt-get install deadbeef doesn't work
>>
>>56184720
Alright so I just installed Kali from my live usb that I use sparingly(noticed that I was running kali from the usb more often than I was booting into windows) and saw something about gnome

Thought I'd try it out, for some reason after installing it all my windows get stuck to the top left and cant be dragged, kali deselects any window that the cursor isn't currently in and my workspaces went down to one even though in the settings it said 4.

Had to reinstall from usb and never going near gnome again.

What are some good methods for customizing the colour schemes and making things look /comfy/ ?

I know there's the inbuilt appearance but I want something more customizable like a theme?
>>
>>56185982
It's not in the ubuntu repo.
>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:starws-box/deadbeef-player && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt install deadbeef deadbeef-plugins-dev
>>
>>56185982
apt-cache search and apt-cache policy are useful commands.

But as for deadbeef, you'll need a ppa for it as it's not in the normal repos.
>>
>>56186007
>>56186016
For some reason I have it in my Devuan repository!
>>
Is it a bad idea to use PPAs on Debian?
>>
Trying to get networking working in qemu.
I have the following arguments.
When booting the liveusb, network works fine, however when its in the install environment, it dosent work.The interface is assigned a valid ip, it just isnt getting out for some reason

-netdev user,id=vmnic -device virtio-net,netdev=vmnic
>>
>>56186100
It's not a good idea generally as you will run into dependency hell, but it's possible to use a small program or two with a mostly good chance of not destroying everything you love and hold dear.
>>
Is
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories
a secure ppa? ubuntu says it isn't

NO_PUBKEY 5A7D1D38BEB6D886
>>
>>56186100
yeah what the other guy said is probably right. It sorta depends. (And it's this PPA hell that made me go to arch.)

What were you thinking?
>>
>>56186191
>opensuse
>>
>>56186147
>>56186229
I see. That makes sense.
I'm just trying to figure out and weigh Debian versus Ubuntu. I've used PPAs on Debian before, and while I didn't run into dependency problems, apt update is a big jumbled mess now. Can't help but feel I did something real bad.

On that topic: I was listening to a podcast a couple days ago, and they talked about Ubuntu snap packages and something about Debian working on their own version of PPAs. Anyone has thoughts on this?
>>
>>56184720

how can you guys support that faggot?

He compares whatever the fuck "GNU" is to Linux, which has 73000 man years into it's development
>>
>>56186308
GNU is 10 years older than Linux.
>>
To people wanting sound on their computer without the insanity of pulseaudio, here is how:

FIrst, you need to erase .asounrc in your home and asound.conf in /etc, after that purge pulseaudio. And when I mean purge, I mean it.

Then, you need to identify your available devices in /proc/asound/modules, just
cat /proc/asound/modules
, Here is my /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_hda_intel

Now put them in order in the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, by assign an index from -2 to 2, making the preferred output the lowest number. As I know I have two devices I want the one that says usb because that is my headphone, so in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf I put
options snd_usb_audio enable=1 index=0
options snd_hda_intel index=1

notice the index.

Restart the computer and you have perfect sound, as well in the browser.
>>
>>56186308
anti-GNU detected
>>
/fglt/ approved Linux distributions

Void Linux

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

Debian and Gentoo are ok if you want to use systemd.

Manjaro and Ubuntu are the best beginner distributions.
>>
so what's wrong with systemd
>>
>>56186307
Okay, so debian sometimes requires you to go and build the package yourself from git manually, but that's normally pretty easy to do.

Apparently I'm a Mexican retard and found this https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA So might be worth a read. I never knew about this, so perhaps that is why I struggled with so many packages on debian and just gave up on it.p

Overall, I would say it's doable, but do take some precautions. The problem with things like ppa's and AUR is that you can end up pulling large dependices that also can be outdated. Now, AUR can get away with this even if it suffers from it to a lesser extent because of the whole "rolling release" thing and the AUR is for arch.

Here's the problem with debian and PPA's: the ppa is more than likely meant for ubuntu, and at any given moment, it could require a newer (or older) dependency. So what will happen is you'll go to install the package, and you'll end up pulling a bunch of shit you don't need. (Or, it just flat out won't work.)

I'm not saying this is the case always (Because I'm retarded and can't into debian so I gave up) but it's something to be cautious of. A few packages here and there won't permanently wreck your system or anything. (Firefox-KDE integration for example is only available via ppa), but if you're planning on pulling a LOT from a ppa, you might be barking up the wrong tree with debian.

For the most part though, I find that just about everything i need is present in debian testing/unstable, so it's really not worrying over too much. Other things (like icon packs for example) i'm comfortable just cloning the git onto my system and just installing it myself. Debian is fine, so star there. If you aren't feeling it, it's pretty easy to just hop to a buntu distro (Might I recommend Ubuntu MATE?) because the installer is so nice.

tl;dr JUST INSTALL DEBIAN
>>
>>56186385
I agree with you, but update the list. Sourcemage is one of the best distros with "ports-like" package manager.

Also Linux Lite is the most noob friendly distro, OpenMediaVault the best NAS, and Bedrock Linux is one of the most exotic, yet promising distros.

Check them out.
>>
Hey guys
Long story short, my 2015 MacBookPro basically has every efi boot trojan you can think of. I think the firmware password is locked on it or some shit. I tried installing the OSx but it was all aids, so I had to burrow someones computer and make some live Distros. I installed Buntu MATE but I dont trust buntu anymore, I just need a laptop lol. Basically here are my options.
>make do with this aids
>somehow put a new ssd in with a good efi boot and is parted in osx
>Pay the fucking worthless computer help store to have them reinstall the OSX then sell to some pleb with efi trojan still in it.

Also, would fedora or arch be good on a macbook cause almost all buntu distros use some kinda java in them and I DO NOT want that lol.
Supplies available to me
like 5 2.0 flashes
30gb 3.0 (currently has what was suposto be legit ElCapitan but I doubt it)
and Live win10 and OSX Snow Leopard install disks but no fucking disk drive on this macbook

mfw reee
Please help me out some. Ive been dicking with this for the past 14 hours
>>
File: systemdtrap420.gif (93KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
systemdtrap420.gif
93KB, 420x420px
>>56186402
Do not engage, I repeat, do not engage!
>>
>>56186385
>Hipster shit

>Hipster shit

>Hipster shit

>Hipster shit

Kill yourself stupid newfag
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 275x183px
>>56186385
>void
>Exherbo
HAX DA PLANET :-D
>>
File: 31069245.jpg (51KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
31069245.jpg
51KB, 400x400px
>>56186492
>>56186523
>>
>>56186425
Calm the memes and lols son.
Fedora, Arch, Debian are al good options.
>>
>>56186409
>Creating packages from a PPA
Guess that makes us two retards, because I didn't know about that either. I feel like that'll be really valuable to me, thanks.

>Debian is fine, so star there. If you aren't feeling it, it's pretty easy to just hop to a buntu distro (Might I recommend Ubuntu MATE?) because the installer is so nice.
I've actually been hopping between buntu MATE and Debian on a VM. I want to put either one of them on my desktop, just taking care to figure out which.

Here's my experience: Even though Debian is supposed to be harder to maintain, it's given me very few problems compare to MATE, which, for example, sometimes hangs on boot or doesn't display GRUB, just flashing it for one second. None of that in Debian.
Still, even though I have no problem looking things up and spending some time fixing things, I appreciate how retard easy MATE is. Convenience is always nice. For example. I know how to manually setup drivers, but having a button to do it for me is very nice.

Also: I've been reading the Debian's Administrator's handbook since yesterday. Is that a good way to learn more about it even if I'm not a sysadmin?
>>
>>56186425
Here
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook
>>
>>56186542
Just fucking sucks being at school leaving my solid battle station at home :( i feel lost m8
>>56186566
Thank you
>>
Is any tablet with android good to put any other distro in it?

I just can't imagine which window manager a tablet use. Would be cool to install something like gentoo in a noganet cheap tablet.
>>
>>56185913
>>56185961

Go to preferences and enable 16:9 mode, makes it much easier to see on modern screens
>>
>>56186425
First of all, don't accept the FUD about Ubuntu. It is one of the best distros for many reasons (it's only so criticized because it's so widely used).

I think you should check out Korora Gnome version. It's Fedora Workstation but with a much more usable setup out of the box(themes, icons, codecs, apps). The newer kernel and pretty GUI will work great on a Macbook.
>>
What are the differences between X, Wayland and Mir, and which one should I use in my custom DE?
>>
>>56186597
Installing Gentoo on an Android device is actually pretty easy

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
>>
>>56186993
I was thinking about Fedora but Im almost positive Im going to use this Arch insaller cause It can help me reset the efi trojan but
>inb4 i brick everything
>>
Shortly after I started using Compton whenever I resize certain windows the window decorations and contents start changing colors erratically. Any ideas what would be causing this?
Here's my compton.conf
http://pastebin.com/9vxp10vS
>>
>>56187031
>Here's my compton.conf
Jesus, just try a simpler config first. Ditch that one for now and run it with simple options.
>compton --vsync opengl
>>
I get massive micro stuttering in things running in borderless fullscreen mode with an XFCE installation that I do not get with regular fullscreen, but some applications refuse to run in regular fullscreen mode.

Same thing happened with an Openbox install. Is it something wrong with DEs/WMs I'm using? With latest proprietary NVIDIA drivers in linux. Happens both with VSync force and not forced, as well as with Compositing on and off. Only difference is more desktop tearing.
>>
>>56187143
It still happens. The only time it doesn't is when compton is off completely.
>>
>>56187017
Gott Mit Unst
>>
>>56187031
Are you using Nvidia? There is a bug with vdpau adobe flash and compositing shit that causes certain colors to act like a video overlay.

I don't remember much about it because I stopped using vdpau and flash but that might be enough to go off of.
>>
>>56187316
Pretty sure the GPU is Ati. It's a thinkpad T400.
>>
>>56187316
Daily reminder that tripfags are cancer
>>
Any way to install things straight to /home from apt? I put it in a separate, bigger partition. Was this a bad idea?
>>
>>56187333
Use the modesetting driver.
>>
>>56187149
So, for anyone who cares, apparently the answer is kind of yes. I guess this is a known problem with XFCE and Compton in general. Forcing compositor pipeline fixes the tearing for me, but then everything has stutter. In GNOME and KDE, with compositor pipeline off, everything is fine and I don't have tearing, so I guess it's just problems with those two.

dang
>>
>>56187512
How would I switch to that driver?
>>
>>56187553
You need to specify it in xorg.conf
>>
>>56187600
When I try "X -configure" it fails because "No devices to configure", but it gives a list of drivers and modesetting is the only one, so I assume that's what's already being used.
>>
List of /fglt/ approved distributions (incomplete):
>Void Linux
>Exherbo
>Funtoo
>Devuan
>Bedrock Linux
>Source Mage GNU/Linux
>Slackware

If you need systemd:

>Debian
>Gentoo

If you want something out of the box:
>Ubuntu
>Manjaro
>Linux Lite

If you want to be an edgelord while simultaneously being the laughingstock of the Linux community:
>Arch
>>
>>56187773
speke for urself fagt
>>
>>56187773
You know this forced meme will never take hold right?
I'm guessing you're the shitty apps guy.
>>
>>56187773
Neck yourself, i mean fucking slackware, you fucking bitch.
>>
>>56184820
Arch Anywhere is the simplest installer I've ever used to install Arch. Architect was my go to, but not anymore.
>>
What's the best out of the box KDE distro that isn't Arch or OpenSuse?

Kubuntu? That one Neon thing KDE was making which is pretty much just an updated Kubuntu?
>>
>>56187600
>>56187512
>>56187316
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>56187929
based friendly anon
>>
File: 1470793001614.jpg (108KB, 480x267px) Image search: [Google]
1470793001614.jpg
108KB, 480x267px
>>56184720
So let's say I was a mexican retard and ran a -Rcns without thinking on something that just so happened to have a bunch of packages that I actually needed and deleted.

I think the only important ones were related to my DE, so I just reinstalled it and everything is fine, but is there any way I can make sure some dependencies that were necessary DIDN'T get fucked?
>>
File: 1467805537471.jpg (578KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1467805537471.jpg
578KB, 1080x1920px
Rec me some fonts for my firefox, /fglt/.

Here's a sexy maki pic in advance.
>>
>>56188350
>>>/a/
>>
I have an old dell laptop with 2 GB ram and it is currently super slow on windows 7.

What is the best out of the box, easy to install and use linux that will work on a less beefy machine?
>>
>>56188388
LXLE is a great distribution.
>>
>>56188396
any ideas how it compares to something like Lubuntu?
>>
Lollypop is kind of an okay musicplayer. It certainly looks nice.

Hopefully development comes along on it a lot more. As it stands, even though it looks good, it's kind of barren in terms of features.
>>
>>56188396
I've never used Lubuntu, but I put LXLE on a low-end PC that came with Vista and it ran really smoothly.
>>
>>56188448
Cool. Is it easy to install and use for a noob?
>>
>>56188475
yeah, it's usable out of the box.

My dad is retarded with computers and uses it just fine.
>>
Excuse me as I blog for a second.

For a distribution based on keeping it simple, Arch is not a simple distro. If Arch were really as simple as they say, they would look more like Antergos or Ubuntu.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way Pacman and the AUR work, the packages themselves are cutting edge, and the documentation is god-tier, but fuck and all if Arch isn't noob friendly.

I dunno. I just kind of wish Antergos didn't have to be a thing.

Also, Wayland when?
>>
>>56188563
Antergos is just Arch with a graphical installation you baby
>>
>>56188583
And doesn't even work.
>>
>>56188583
I don't think you read my post at all...
>>
alright arch architect faggot here, gotta say i'm liking having arch again on a machine.

there, i'll fuck off now. but keeping ubuntu mate on my my thinky pad
>>
>>56188563
how is arch not simple? pacman is much more user-friendly than apt-get is.

The only real problems i have with it are the same thing I have with every Linux install.

>>56188590
Ubuntu MATE is easily the best buntu flavor. The maintainers aren't mouthbreathing retards.
>>
>>56188588
werks 4 me
>>
>>56188589
>If Arch were really as simple as they say, they would look more like Antergos or Ubuntu
>I just kind of wish Antergos didn't have to be a thing
what are you complaining about even?
>>
>>56188563
"simple" and "noob friendly" don't mean the same thing, y'know
>>
>>56188600
A distribution that only works for some people is a shitty distribution.
>>
>>56188611
maybe the problem is you
>>
>>56188649
but you're the one that couldn't install Arch and had to install a shitty distro for people who couldn't finish the Arch beginner's guide
>>
>>56188649
another anon had the exact same problem I did

Get off your high horse.
>>
>>56188661
but I can install arch and have installed it several times? nice projecting.

>>56188671
so then there's two retards lol
>>
>>56188682
>but I can install arch and have installed it several times? nice projecting.
what features attracted you to Antergos instead of Arch?
>>
>>56188682
I guess it's my fault that the install stage just doesn't do anything.

I'm not as 1337 as you apparently.
>>
>>56188694
Alright, I'll stop shitposting.

Pretty much just quick Arch install for lazy fucks. I know there are other installers and provided the graphical installer actually failed, I would have either gone to one of them or just installed Arch regularly.

That's more or less it. Outside of that, I don't really give a shit about Antergos.

>>56188712
damn right
>>
I had a problem with antegros not getting into the installer until I went back and used an image writer on arch. Dd wasn't working for me.

Just go with Manjaro though. It's good, and I would reckon less bloated.
>>
File: 1034.jpg (22KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1034.jpg
22KB, 500x374px
What does /fglt/ think of Manjaro? Is it any good?
>>
>>56188788
It's GoodArch/Arch++
>>
>>56188799
how so
>>
>>56188847
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro:_A_Different_Kind_of_Beast
>>
>>56188858
seems like it's just arch with older packages and a couple user friendly tools
>>
>>56188868
stable Arch with extra features
>>
>>56188871
so that's p much it?

fair enough
>>
>>56188874
Welp, you can change the repo urls to unstable and have rolling packages like Arch.
>>56188871
I like that there are OpenRC spins for systemd triggered people.
>>
>>56188932
i wasn't saying that to be sarcastic or something, i was just curious.

a more stable arch with a few additional user tools could be helpful.
>>
>>56189478
Stop thinking that older packages translate to more stability.
>>
>>56189503
not my words
>>56188871
words

i said >>56188868 initally

don't assume what i mean
>>
>>56189517
Not always easy to follow who said what when everyone in anonymous. Don't get butthurt over it.
>>
>>56189567
i am not mad. i am sorry if i gave impression i am rude.
>>
File: qV7QrQB.png (97KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
qV7QrQB.png
97KB, 1366x768px
>>56188788
>>
What's the Windows equivalent to an inode, where file metadata us stored? And does Windows store the same metadata? I'm asking because I'm wondering, technically speaking, is anything "lost" in the copying when you copy a file from a Windows (NTFS) system to Linux (EXT4) system?
>>
>>56189650
lmfao this cant be real
>>
What is the general opinion on XFCE and MATE.
Are they too simplistic for machines that have the resources to use a heavier DE, that comes with more features?

Looked at Budgie and that seems quite nice.
Also have some good memories of Cinnamon, but last time I used it was some years ago.
>>
File: manjaro.jpg (52KB, 708x598px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.jpg
52KB, 708x598px
>>56189699
You better believe it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-21_04-13-31.png (6KB, 482x290px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-21_04-13-31.png
6KB, 482x290px
Trying to listen to the new Frank Ocean album with mpd+ncmpcpp. what.cd only has it in mp3 320 and 256k aac. I heard aac doesn't lose as much quality with its compression and so I decided to go for that one over the 320kbps mp3.

Anyway, I can't play it. I added it the first window in ncmpcpp via the file browser in the second window. (as in the windows you get to pressing 1/2, respectively). I thought maybe I was lacking .m4a support since I've literally only played FLAC before now with this setup. I looked it up and it sounds like compiling with ffmpeg gets .m4a support. However I read a guide to the end before doing anything and noticed that
mpd --version
will tell you what formats you can play already, and it looks like I already have ffmpeg and .m4a support listed.

Just wondering what else the problem could be. I already confirmed the files work by playing them in mpv, but I'd like them to all play in a row, and I'd very much like it if they scrobbled (which is already configured with my mpd setup currently).

tl;dr .m4a files won't play in mpd+ncmpcpp but they should according to
mpd --version
>>
>>56187881
Any videos of Arch Anywhere being used? I use Architect all the time to help friends get Arch. Never h eard of Arch Anywhere.
>>
>>56185791
>First i want to customize my desktop
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_manager

Find a Window Manager you like. Keep in mind they are all pretty customizable. Some good/popular ones to check out are openbox and i3. openbox is floating while i3 is dynamic (but primarily tiling).
>>
>>56185795
>rebooting after updates
>'apt install' instead of 'apt-get install'
Unless 'apt install' is a new command it sounds like you barely know what you're doing.
>>
>>56185808
You can set charge thresholds. It could be that some software you have installed has a default one that's different from what Windows uses. It's also possible that one of the two battery meters is incorrect. Try running this command to check how charged your battery is:
upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
>>
File: 1467170642899-1.jpg (103KB, 534x600px) Image search: [Google]
1467170642899-1.jpg
103KB, 534x600px
Hey /g/, i'm dual booting windows 10 and fedora 24 atm.

The only reason i keep windows is because

a) dota 2 runs at .1 FPS on fedora
b) my mouse's side buttons aren't functional on fedora
c) the volume for some reason is maxed out at a super low volume. Even if I go to the sounds setting and increase it higher it still seems super quiet compared to what I get on windows.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I could/should do? Thanks guys.
>>
>>56186307
>On that topic: I was listening to a podcast a couple days ago, and they talked about Ubuntu snap packages and something about Debian working on their own version of PPAs. Anyone has thoughts on this?
Not that into PPAs. I much prefer the Arch approach. What podcast, by the way? I don't currently listen to any, really, but hearing people talk about GNU/Linux sounds really fun.
>>
>>56186385
What about NixOS, GuixSD, and Arch?
>>
>>56189984
You can add 3rd party repos to Debian since years.
>>
>>56189886
compared to apt-get, the output of apt is generally nicer (colorized, progress-bar) and it's commands are often easier to remember and type
>>
>>56187385
If your root partition is 20-30GB you're fine. Making /home the biggest was the right choice.
>>
>>56188563
What problems are you having? As someone who spent a few years using Debian, I found Arch pretty easy to use once setup.
>>
Why are there a million flavors of Ubuntu? Why doesn't the installer just let you pick a desktop environment, showing previews and such?
>>
>>56189768
Good specs or not, you probably don't want a heavy DE. Generally comes with a bunch of crap you don't want or need, and looks ugly as well.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-08-21_04-42-22.png (12KB, 482x290px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-08-21_04-42-22.png
12KB, 482x290px
>>56190011
Very neat. Pardon my rudeness.

How long has this been around? This is my first time hearing of it. Just tested on my file server, though, and sure enough it works.
>>
>>56187773
>Gentoo
>systemd
[triggered]
>>
File: systemd.png (13KB, 798x797px) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
13KB, 798x797px
>>56190335
Problem?
>>
>>56186385
>no slackware
you really are a newfag
kill yourself
>>
>>56189896
2. Check with xev if they produce X events, if they do configuring them is usually trivial (google "archwiki all mouse buttons working" or something like that).
3. Google "pulseaudio ignoredb" if you're using pa, that might help.
>>
>>56190407
How is Slackware? It's similar to OpenSUSE in that it works well, but no one seems to talk about it.

Mostly how does it compare to Debian?
>>
decided to give ubuntu a try since i can't seem to fix my windows. the install went well but i have this problem whenever i go to install something. i keep getting stuck on:

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu7) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...

did a bit of searching and couldn't find anything. there are no errors, it's been sitting like that for about ten minutes. what do?
>>
>>56190399
>tiling wm
>in a fucking xeon with GTX 9XX card
>>
>>56190756
And?
>>
>>56190740
>i can't seem to fix my windows

You really think installing a different OS will magically solve your problems?
>>
>>56190764
>TILING WM
>IN A FUCKING XEON WITH GTX 9XX CARD
>>
>>56190756
?
>>
>>56190808
Yes, and? The machine will be able to handle it just fine.
>>
>>56190775
nothing i did to try and fix my blue screens would work. pretty much at the end of my rope. the only reason i'd think it would magically work is because i don't know any better. help me out with that and i will be a happy boy.
>>
>>56190407
slackware is a garbage OS for tryhards who want to pretend it's still the 90s.
>>
>>56190853
If your hardware is ballers no OS will help you
>>
>>56190587
SJWbian is just as bad as ubuntu, it's for noobs who need their hand held for everything.
>>
>>56190399
>2016
>still using Xorg
Why
>>
File: 1443166701380.png (42KB, 741x341px) Image search: [Google]
1443166701380.png
42KB, 741x341px
>>56189503
>this meme is still alive
Manjaro basically does it like Debian. All packages get syncd 4 times/day into unstable, then they go into testing, then into stable AKA vanilla Manjaro. The whole process is beween 2 days (testing) and about 2 weeks (stable). Not all packages are tested for stability, only vital system packages.

The old packages/insecurity = stability meme fits more for Linux Mint, where vital packages are blocked completly from getting updates/upgrades.

>>56189792
>the SSL meme
pic related
>>
>>56189834
Is ffmpeg installed?
>>
>>56190756
>>56190808
>using bloated shit just because your specs are good
you are lucky this is a friendly thread because I am thinking some negative things about you right now
>>
>>56190947
>SJWbian
Go away memer.
>>
>>56191031
>pic related
Check the dates
>>
>>56190740
>>Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu3) ...
>Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu7) ...
>Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
This doesn't tell us anything.

ctrl-c to stop it if it's stuck. Maybe read dmesg to see if there are any obvious problems. Then try to install something again.

>>56190919
bluescreens can be software issues
>>
>>56190947
OK. That doesn't really answer my question about Slackware at all because it's just a shitty, divisive assertion.
>>
>>56191040
Yeah. You got me excited because that would've been a very logical reason for it to not work, but it seems I do have ffmpeg already.
>>
>>56191061
>code of conduct
>Debian women
>removing packages because they got triggered by them like tux racer
>not SJW
Go away nu-male
>>
>>56191068
Looks like GlobalSign forgot the SSL cert again.
>>
>>56191082
Ok, let's judge distros after small parts of it's community: Let's talk about Arch Linux.
>>
>>56191102
There is nothing wrong with the arch linux community
>>
>>56191102
kek
>>
>>56190966
No alternatives. Wayland isn't ready
>>
>>56191069
Sure, but he's unable to solve his issues, so he probably should make sure it's not hardware issues before throwing a different OS at it where he has no chance of knowing if any issues he could encounter are OS-related or just to his machine-related and how to troubleshoot them at all.
>>
>>56191107
Except that 80% of it's users are clueless beginners raping /g/ with stupid questions and elitism.
>>
>>56191115
Trying GNU/Linux on a computer experiencing problems with Windows is actually a standard troubleshooting step. It does sound more like he's giving up from his wording, but it's hard to say for sure. I frequently have people use a LiveUSB to see if their problem is Windows or not.
>>
>>56191118
I haven't really seen either of those types here.

The distro you're on is rarely relevant anyway. People can just come in here and describe their issue and get a solution without it coming up a lot of the time.
>>
>>56191118
You say elitism like it's a bad thing. Sure, you got some beginners asking silly questions, but it's mostly the noobuntu users who are ruining this board.
>>
>>56191127
Yes, using a LiveUSB you know works on your machine is a really good idea.
Switching OS blindly isn't
>>
>>56191082
code of conduct in debian is basically "don't be an ass".
Debian woman is just like 5 people in containment.
Debian handles sjws very well.
>>
>>56191139
Could be he just needs a working machine and the bluescreens were interrupting his work/life.
>>
>>56191143
The fact they tolerate them and give them their own containment area to expand is bad enough. For example, bronies would have been significantly smaller had moot just outright banned them rather than gave them a containment board.
>>
>>56191143
>Debian handles sjws very well.
This. They put them in link list room and close the door.
>>
>>56191055
Who the hell uses tiling window managers because they're tight on resources? They are plenty of ultralight floating WMs, like LXQt.

Tiling window managers are used because they improve the workflow and are more comfortable, doesn't matter what specs you have..
>>
>>56191161
Actually they only gave them links and some wiki article that they only very rarely link to in the rest of the wiki.
>>
>>56191164
Most tiling wms also happen to be light. I don't really know what else that anon could've been implying when mentioning specs and the wm.

>They are plenty of ultralight floating WMs, like LXQt
Pretty sure that's a DE, not a WM. You should've just listed openbox.
>>
>>56191178
I thought LXQt was a window manager that plugged into LXDE? Could easily be wrong though, I've only ever seen its name mentioned in passing

But yeah openbox
>>
>>56191191
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXQt

As far as I can tell it's a full DE like LXDE but using qt stuff in place of gtk.

I haven't used either myself, but I recently setup a friend with Arch and LXQt was one of the environments he chose to play with, and I remembered seeing it had a start menu and such.
>>
>>56191191
LXDE and LXQt are separate, unique desktop environments.

LXDE is made with GTK
LXQt is made with Qt, because of the GTK2+GTK3=mess thing afaik
>>
>>56191248
Does QT really help against the mess when lots of software uses GTK?
>>
>>56191248
What mess thing?
>>
>>56191273
The fact that not everything moved to GTK3 so you now essentially need both a GTK2 and GTK3 theme. At least, that's my guess.
>>
>>56191264
Baby steps. It's also setting an example.

>>56191273
Apparently everything was nice and consistent with just GTK2, but the advent and migration over to GTK3 has been slow and problematic for tons of people, because there's still a heavy reliance on GTK2. This mostly affects themes, but there's probably other issues. I'm not an expert, just an observer
>>
>>56191292
There are themes supporting both. I'm using Arc-Dark currently.
How does having Qt apps solve this problem? Qt either uses it's own themes or it can use GTK2 theme.
>>
>>56191055
>muh bloat
>muh sysvinit
>>
>>56191332
I was just talking about wm/de stuff. I haven't yet reached the level where I actively avoid systemd.
>>
Is there a simply/minimalistic color picker for linux?
>>
>>56191453
What do you mean by color picker?
>>
>>56191453
I think I used the GIMP last time I needed to know the code for a color I saw.

If you're messing with terminal colors, terminal.sexy is a pretty good site.

What is it you need the color picker for?
>>
>>56191453
Gcolor2
>>
File: 1421931443832.jpg (97KB, 681x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1421931443832.jpg
97KB, 681x1024px
What program do you use to create animated movie?
Also regarding DVD authorization, what do you use?
>>
File: 5.jpg (225KB, 1200x903px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
225KB, 1200x903px
How to check if my MBR is intact?
>>
>>56191792
By overwriting it, then you'll know it's intact
>>
>>56191843
What if I suspect it was over written?
I was testing WINE with some programs, and only after I installed it I noticed it was from fosshub.
MD5 matched though.
But I want to make sure.
>>
>>56191115
i did make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, actually. i isolated it to being driver issues from what i've read, but all of them were up to date so i don't know. this has happened before, and while i was deciding on what i should do about my situation i installed linux mint and had no problems using it during that period of a week or so. i reinstalled windows and everything was fine. it fixed itself, almost "magically" for about two years.

>>56191069
thanks, everything is fine now.
>>
===========
= question 1 =
===========
I was having a look at gnome-shell these days, I have a usb 3g modem and it was recognised and working but I made a 4-5 profiles for it and did not see how to remove them (from network settings), in the end I # rm /etc/ModemManager/my-ISP-profile* but that somehow broke it as now the modemmanager fails with (it's not even listen in the gnome applet thing)

Aug 21 15:01:55 host systemd[1]: Starting Modem Manager...
Aug 21 15:01:55 host ModemManager[1932]: <info> ModemManager (version 1.6.0) starting in system bus...
Aug 21 15:01:55 host systemd[1]: Started Modem Manager.
Aug 21 15:01:58 host ModemManager[1932]: <info> Couldn't check support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:19.0': not supported by any plugin
Aug 21 15:01:58 host ModemManager[1932]: <info> Couldn't check support for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.1/0000:10:00.0': not supported by any plugin
Aug 21 15:02:13 host ModemManager[1932]: <info> Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1' ports
Aug 21 15:02:13 host ModemManager[1932]: <warn> Could not grab port (tty/ttyS0): 'Cannot add port 'tty/ttyS0', unhandled serial type'
Aug 21 15:02:13 host ModemManager[1932]: <warn> Couldn't create modem for device at '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.3': Failed to find primary AT port

I tried reinstalling ppp and network/modemmanager and reseting the .services.

I suspect it's something (or some config) with systemd that can't default.

what do?

===========
= question 2 =
===========
how to remove systemd?

I followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Eudev some time ago but after reboot the keyboard, mouse iirc didn't work.

what did I miss?

afai can tell by looking at htop I only need dbus-nosystemd from the aur - im not sure if I installed it then
>>
>>56191891
Just grub-install and don't worry about it
>>
>>56187773
This needs its own thread.
>>
>>56191617
>regarding DVD authorization, what do you use?
dvdlab pro
>>
I just installed xubuntu and it looks ugly, is there anything I can do about it?
>>
>>56192153
Change how it looks
>>
>>56192007
I see.
If I were to power it down, then back on.
And say I had my MBR overwritten.
Will running a live season of the distro with running
dd if /usr/lib/syslinux/bios/mbr.bin of /dev/sda

Should fix it?
>>
>>56192173
How do I do that?
>>
How do you set up activities in plasma 5? I can create one but I can't much with them. I thought you could have programs open with them and suspend programs from previous activities but I don't see any way to do this. The only options I can find are simple power management ones.
>>
>>56192191
Just follow one of the trillion guides out there on the topic.
>>
>>56192191
?How would I change something on this desktop? Maybe I could right click on it? whoah dude
>>
>>56192183
You can use grub-install from a different distro
>>
>>56192140
>dvdlab pro
I was looking for more of a linux application.
Thanks anyway.
DVDauthor is XML overlord, which is something I'm not good at.
I was going to use DVD styler until I noticed it's hosted at fosshub.
>>
>>56192330
>You can use grub-install from a different distro
But I'd have to chroot to the orginal installation no?
Or simply running a live ubuntu season, and installing boot repair package would solve it?
>>
>>56192360
>But I'd have to chroot to the orginal installation no?
That would be one option, but it's not necessary

grub-install just installs the grub superblock into MBR, it's not really install-dependent

just read up on this
>>
>>56187000
Bump
>>
hey i got an old laptop with this specs
Notebook: Acer Extensa 4620
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T5450
Graphics Adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) X3100
Display: 14.1 inch, 16:10, 1280x800 pixels, glossy: no
Weight: 2.4kg

which distro is good for old stuff
i tried debian but always failed on installation because iwlwifi is missing or something
>>
>>56192633
use the nonfree debian installer
>>
File: jh.png (1MB, 1264x732px) Image search: [Google]
jh.png
1MB, 1264x732px
>>56191617
>>56192343
>DVD authorization
Try Bombono, it's available on every distro.
It's a DVDauthor front-end.
Also you can build dvdstyler from source if you're that paranoid.
though fosshub is safe.
>>
>>56192552
You can easily google this, and certainly could've answered your own question in 11 hours.
>>
File: a.jpg (910KB, 1920x1056px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
910KB, 1920x1056px
>>56192343
i've launched dvdlab pro in wine once, but i stopped making dvds before i switched to linux
out of the authoring tools i've used, that one's probably hard to beat, it's both very easy to pick up, and about as powerful as most people would need

one thing to note is that it doesn't encode video, back then i used tmpgenc, but now i use ffmpeg, but you can use anything that produces dvd-compatible video/audio streams

installed it again just now to show off a project file i still have, this is running in wine
>>
File: kwk.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
kwk.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Is Linux worth learning if you want to kode?
>>
I need to make a video of simple 2D animation, then remux some music later.
What program do I need to use?
I've been searching the AUR foe a while but nothing came up.
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_15-54-35.jpg (5KB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_15-54-35.jpg
5KB, 720x400px
Why the fuck can't debian install grub properly? Last time I tried it it also managed to fuck it up, even when I told it where to install it.
I was trying to install Devuan in VB to test something out, got to GRUB and the usual "We see there's no other OS present, do you want to install to MBR?". I said no since I had prepared a /boot partition, chose the only disk and it installed. Rebooted and got this shit.
It's nothing but black with the cursor that isn't even blinking, it's like it's frozen.
So I thought "hey maybe Devuan is shit and can't even install properly".
Booted to debian net install, did the same shit over, got to GRUB, said No again and pointed to the disk.
SAME SCREEN AGAIN
This is the first time I've ever seen it do this, last time I tried it on my actual PC it just said 'fuck you' and installed grub to THE WRONG HDD anyways, even after telling it specifically where.
Literally no other distro does this and I've tried atleast 30 of them

sda1 - primary - 300MB - ext2 - /boot - Bootable flag
sda2 - primary - 5GB - ext4 - /
sda3 - primary - 2GB - swap
sda4 - primary - 14 GB - ext4 - /home

Now I'm trying to install Debian again without any additional software and the piece of shit keeps throwing errors at Select and install software, won't even start grub installation
>>
>>56192807
>I've tried atleast 30 of them
Do you have no other hobby?
>>
File: 1453414756632.png (397KB, 524x758px) Image search: [Google]
1453414756632.png
397KB, 524x758px
>>56192873
the search for a perfect distro is a long and tiresome journey, with great rewards at the end of it
>>
>>56192730
>simple 2D animation
How simple?
Blender and Synfig have steep learning curve but the results are satisfying.
Pencile and tupi could be what are you looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaumveRH-0
>>
>>56192343
>hosted at fosshub
And ?
Wasn't it a harmless prank to troll M$ users?
>>
>>56192807
You're trying to install Testing, aren't you?
>>
Why is office software on Linux garbage?

I have to write a bunch of word documents for my job, and everytime I write some shit in LibreOffice, WPS, Openoffice, etc. my co-workers open it up on their wangblows PC and the formatting is completely fucked. Even if I save it in a supposedly supported format like .doc or .docx

Am I doomed to having to use a Windows VM or google docs through a web browser?
>>
Gentoo, Funtoo or Devuan?
>>
>>56192895
the sooner you realize that your needs are too specific and that building one up from a base is the solution, the better
>>
>>56192633
http://rbt.asia/g/thread/S55969335#p55972642

$ sudo apt install gnome gnome-control-center gnome-tweak-tool gnome-shell-extensions gdm nautilus --no-install-recommends
>>
>>56193096
Do you want a system that's flexible and customizable? If so use Gentoo/Funtoo (doesn't realy matter, but Gentoo gets far more support I think)

Do you prefer an inflexible system where you're stuck using binary packages and upstream defaults? devuan
>>
>>56191902
>>
>>56193094
Linux office software formats and saves documents in a well-documented, internationally accepted, standardized format.
Windows office software, 20 years after development of that standard, still can't manage to open and display it properly.
Microsoft also doesn't tell anyone what in the fuck their office software actually does when opening or storing documents, so no one else can program their software to comply with it.

How is any of this Linux's fault?
>>
>>56193047
no, the Devuan one is the only one they have and the debian net install was some 8.4.0 iso I had laying around, so I'm pretty sure it's the Stable version. I think I was told to install Stable and modify it in case I wanted Testing or Unstable

>>56193104
nah I'm probably just mentally ill, installing distros over and over is interesting and fun
>>
>>56193094
That's because Office Software in general is garbage.
>>
>>56193094
>Windows VM
I haven't used ms office for years but does it no longer work over wine?
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_17-07-37.jpg (24KB, 1280x930px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_17-07-37.jpg
24KB, 1280x930px
>>56192807
god damn piece of shit
still nothing, removed the /home partition and just left it with /boot, / and swap
GRUB doesn't even load, what the fuck
>>
>>56193218
>removed the /home partition
How would that change things anyway?
>>
Hello

What is this new Chrome feature>
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_17-11-47.jpg (109KB, 1280x930px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_17-11-47.jpg
109KB, 1280x930px
>>56193231
I don't know, thought maybe 5GB for / wasn't enough to it, but it didn't warn about not enough space.
I don't know what else to try, the meme hat distro runs fine so I guess it's not VB itself
>>
File: 6q7K7.jpg (110KB, 397x675px) Image search: [Google]
6q7K7.jpg
110KB, 397x675px
hi, i have 250GB hdd and i want to install fully encrypted linux system (manjaro). how do i partition it? do i need to partition it?
will something like this: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2195359
happen after kernel update?

i'm new with linux btw.

pic unrelated
>>
>>56193094
The issue comes from Microsoft office.
Try creating a document and open it from a different machine.
Especially if it had some page boarder modification.
Things will get messy.
>>
>>56193143

Irregardless of whether or not Microsoft is doing the right thing my job does not care. They all use Microsoft Office and I have to conform. Currently google docs formats everything write if I save it as a .docx, but a Windows VM is probably the best option for offline use.

>>56193203

Office 2016 does not work on Wine.
>>
>>56189857
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85R4vU7c5QU
>>
>>56193317
>my job does not care. They all use Microsoft Office and I have to conform.

Your boss pays you, so he gets to decide what software you use on the job.
Use a dedicated work computer/partitition that complies with your corporate cuck boss, and use Linux on your own time.
>>
>>56193094
bc once you r done with document, you put it into pdf
>>
>>56191617
ffmpeg, Blender, Lightworks http://www.lwks.com/
>>
>>56191792
easy bcd
write mbr
ez
>>
What are some software to create ISO images and burn them?
Is Xfburn a decent burner software compared to K3B?
>>
>>56193381
You'd be surprised about the business practices some companies have.
>>
I think I botched changing my kernel.
On rebooting all I can see is
Loading Linux 4.7.1... 
>>
File: berenyi.png (197KB, 600x403px) Image search: [Google]
berenyi.png
197KB, 600x403px
I want to use a WM, cause I want a very lightweight system.

Which ones are the most customizable? Also, tiling managers are shit.
>>
>>56193386
>Video editing suite
I meant more of 2D, but it' nice to know.
>>
>>56193443
fluxbox
>>
>>56193346
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kV095iMO_k
>>
>>56193404
>easy bcd
>windows
>on /fglt/
Thanks anyway.
>>
What's the best way to make sure that programs running in wine can't connect to the Internet?
>>
I know it's heresy, but does someone here use wine?
Is it possible to run 32bit and 64bit executables from the same wine installation or do I really have to get 32bit wine and 64bit wine?
>>
>>56193495
Check out firejail.
>>
>>56193495
Create a user that isn't allowed to connect to the internet.
Then run wine as that user.
>>
File: 2016-08-21_17-34-10.webm (936KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-21_17-34-10.webm
936KB, 800x600px
>>56193261
>download the latest 8.5 net install
>run regular installation
>black screen
>finally loads after 3-5 minutes
>its slow as shit to the point you see it refresh the screen piece by piece
fucking christ, what the fuck
>>
>>56193495
Airplane mode. : )
>>
>>56193495
if you have the resources to spare, run a windows VM instead, so your disk is safe from the shit you're running on windows.
>>
>>56193619
sup w dat vm ram
>>
>>56193438
impossible to help without know what you're using and what you did
>>
File: 1448070259675.jpg (14KB, 475x351px) Image search: [Google]
1448070259675.jpg
14KB, 475x351px
>>56193811
it's 1GB, the 64-bit install seems to run fine.

>the most stable linux distro
>>
File: 1329448382128.png (83KB, 292x243px) Image search: [Google]
1329448382128.png
83KB, 292x243px
>Program I use daily stopped working on my Macbook Pro when I updated to Sierra Beta
>It's easier to get it to run in a VM on Lubuntu that only needs 512 MB RAM to function

Is it the year of the Linux desktop yet?
>>
>>56193579
WoW64 is implemented in wine
>>
>>56192807
install grub to mbr, dingdong. it's in a vm. it's not the real mbr
>>
File: 1457543345216.png (25KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1457543345216.png
25KB, 500x501px
>>56192807
>do you want to install to MBR?". I said no
>>
>>56193848
stable means frozen, not bug free

or immune to user error ^_^
>>
>>56193579
You can tell 64bit wine to use 32bit architecture
>>
>>56193619
It's probably slowing down because you're raging so hard ^_^
>>
>>56193722
I don't even have vt-x, and the program that I use runs better on wine-staging than natively on windows.
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-03-50.jpg (50KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-03-50.jpg
50KB, 800x600px
>>56193877
that doesn't matter, it might as well work in a VM, but what's the point of it if I won't use it in that way if I decide to install it on my pc?

>>56193898
this is what I meant, by default it wants to install GRUB to the MBR of the FIRST harddrive, which I obviously wouldn't want it to do in a scenario where I install it on my PC.
So far I've chosen No and selected the /dev/sda where the first partition is /boot.
I guess I'll try typing /dev/sda1 manually to it this time
>>
is default ubuntu a good distro for qt linux babbies like me?

i mean i installed arch but i messed up my drivers and felt sad and a bit overwhelmed by how much setup it requieres to get a basic gui and other shit setup (idk about all the different DEs WMs and which ones are good and simple to setup)
>>
File: VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-07-20.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
VirtualBox_2016-08-21_18-07-20.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>56194028
bravo deb, it only took you 6 tries.
I guess I have to type out the partition of /boot as well, rather than let it figure it out
>>
>>56194032
yes
but default fedora is better
or is it
>>
>>56194069
Hey
I know you're frustrated Anon,
but gimme a minute to explain,

It's just so easy
To BLame your TOools...

WHEn

You

Should blAME the FOOls

And Anon,

The FOOL is yOU...

you
You
YOU

(You)
>>
>>56194069
Nope, it took you 6 tries to install Debian.
Shame on you
>>
>>56184720
Who here /DEBIAN/ and /AOSP/
running self compiked AOSP for Android and running more upt o date Debian Jessie with self compiled system utilities, GNU and Linux both updated to latest versions, feels really good man, oh yeah, running Debian just fine without SystemD, running SysVinit
>>
>>56194087
well ive decided to try ubuntu it looks pretty comfy for babbies like me
>>
>>56194131
I'm not frustrated, I'm just glad I found out what the problem is and hopefully how to avoid it now

>>56194166
and 1 try to install gentoo, pls no bully
although, I never did manage to get that proprietary broadcom card to work
>>
>>56194069
>oh, i was just doing it wrong
>this tool is stupid
>>
>>56194210
>doing it wrong
>tool offers to install bootloader for you if you tell it on what disk
>fucks it up and makes you specifically tell it at what partition even though there's only a single bootable partition that's already set to be used as /boot

come on
>>
>>56194200
>and 1 try to install gentoo, pls no bully
Not him, I always have stupid problems with debian installation as well, gentoo is much easier and nicer to deal with for me.
>although, I never did manage to get that proprietary broadcom card to work
In gentoo? Never had problems with that in gentoo but it's another area of frustration in debian.
>>
>>56194285
yea, I must've set up the kernel wrong because it wouldn't even acknowledge the card's existence. No idea what I did wrong though, I made sure to turn on the broadcom drivers and anything else that it might require
>>
File: 1466607802353.jpg (146KB, 1013x661px) Image search: [Google]
1466607802353.jpg
146KB, 1013x661px
Hey guys, I personally run Debian on my computers, and a friend who is completely new to GNU/Linux told me they'd like to try it - since they only use their computer for light web browsing, their webcam, and some document preparation. They're not married perse to any propietary software.

What distro should I hook them up with? I thought about Debian since I could just set them up right with everything they would need, and then it would be a smooth ride. But maybe there's an argument to be made for Ubuntu or Manjaro for someone like them?

What do you think?
>>
>>56194180
sweet dood

Ubuntu is cool

happy computing
>>
>>56194363
I think you don't actually have a friend that wants Debian.
>>
>>56194395
They are interested in trying GNU/Linux in general, not specifically Debian. I'm the one running Debian.
>>
>>56194414
Install gentoo
>>
>>56194425
Haha
>>
>>56194414
If they were really interested in using Linux they would be googling it or trying a liveDVD or something. Don't bother trying to help them install Debian it won't go well.
>>
File: facebook.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
facebook.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
How can i fix this /g/, i cant play shared videos :(
>>
>>56193495
SELinux
>>
>>56194474
instaliraj gentoo
>>
File: 1456945952748.png (19KB, 600x446px) Image search: [Google]
1456945952748.png
19KB, 600x446px
Someone make a new thread.
>>
>>56194549
nemoj biti takav buli
>>
>>56194568
nisam siguran, but I think Facebook might still be using Flash for those video, atleast it's what it told me when I was trying out Iridium Browser and flash was broken in it.
Got any tinfoil addons that could possibly break it? Tried another browser?
>>
New thread
New thread
New thread
>>56194621
>>56194621
>>56194621
>>
>>56194602
It worked few days ago :'(
>>
>>56193412
cdrtools

>>56193443
openbox
>>
>>56194474
Your adblock balloon on the address bar looks to increase the number when you click the video, maybe check if it is blocking the video host.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.