[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

uber driving scam

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: dfd.png (145KB, 1456x1354px) Image search: [Google]
dfd.png
145KB, 1456x1354px
>2nd year in college
>hear from brother that a friend of his is making money by driving people in his car through an app called Uber
>whoa, I can make money doing that? Alright, sign me up!
>sign up process was easy, fast, and high tech (all online, didn't even have to talk to people)
>get the final email saying that my account is active and I can drive

I start to hesitate, I start to think
>"if it's too good to be true, then it is"
>"a sucker is born every minute"
>go online, learn more from websites that aren't Uber controlled
>1. you technically aren't an Uber employee, you're contracted by Uber, so they don't pay you benefits and you have to file as self employed when filing taxes (more money lost to taxes)

wow, so that's why Uber always used the word "partner", they conveniently never mentioned the details about that.
> 2. If your personal car insurance company finds out your driving for Uber, the insurance policy you paid for is canceled.
Hey, Uber never told me about that at all.

>3. Uber gets 20% of the money made from each ride given. And they significantly lowered the rates this year.
>4. Doesn't take into account the cost of wear and tear on the car per mile.
>5. Only demand for rides is in big cities.
I live 40 miles away from the capital of this state, I guess I'd have to drive 80 miles total JUST to get to "work".
>6. The only real demand for rides is late at night, 10pm - 4 am.
ah fuck that, that's when I sleep! Now I have to change when I sleep just for this? So, what, now I have to change my whole life and bend over backwards for this "self employed" job?
>7. Total money earned - 20% Uber commission - gas expense - wear and tear expense of car DIVIDED BY hours on the job = less than 7.50 per hour

I'm out, good thing I never did give even one ride. Uber makes a lot of money, the riders pay a lot less than taxi cab fare... and the drivers cheated!
>>
I drove uber select in Austin for a while last year in college and made easily 45-60 an hour.
>>
You not in a densely populated area. Within 20 miles of LAX and with a busy downtown district just a few minutes away, its easy for me to make a little beer money.
>>
>>958374
The way you word this it sounds like your from some taxi company just talking shit on Uber.
>>
>>958383
lmao Rajeet
>>
>>958379
>made easily 45-60 an hour.
> uber select
with a normal car, I didn't qualify for uber select, just a regular car moving bodies from one place to another place.

Was this take home profit, after taxes? Because that's all that really matters. If you're talking about what you made before any expenses, that doesn't mean anything.

And were you actually recording all the expenses, miles driven, hours worked? Or are you just guessing?

>>958381
>You not in a densely populated area. Within 20 miles of LAX and with a busy downtown district just a few minutes away, its easy for me to make a little beer money.
I quickly caught on that this thing only works if you're actually living in a big city. Like, you drive out of your neighborhood, go online, and start getting ride requests.

I like how you said it's easy to make a little beer money, yet all my emails from uber (op pic) always talked about "earning big". Now that I think about it, the only positive talk I heard about this thing only ever came from Uber, go figure.

>>958383
Easy to lie on an anonymous vietnamese origami website, but no, I'm not from some taxi company, just a naive sophomore in college who almost got tricked into wasting my time and car for very little money.
>>
>>958392
Haha no one is forcing you to drive for uber, anon. Just dont, then.

Smhtbhfam, which taxi union do you work for?
>>
>>958416
>Haha no one is forcing you to drive for uber, anon. Just dont, then.

I know that, I want others in my situation to at least know what they're getting themselves into. For a college student, this was made out to sound pretty lucrative, and it's not.

>Smhtbhfam, which taxi union do you work for?

Easy to lie on an anonymous japanese karaoke forum, but no, I don't work for a taxi union, just a college student who thought uber would make a lot more money than it really does.
>>
can you claim gas and wear and tear on tax? since you're a contractor.
>>
>>958392
As I mentioned, I was a student so no full time job put me under 10k so I didn't have to pay taxes on it.
I would Drive for 2 hours and make about 100$
I was driving in Austin so trips didn't go that far so I would drive about 20-30 miles. That's about 3.50 in gas for me.
Wear and tear is neglible at that distance
Guess I was making about $48.25 an hour.
You sound like a taxi shill
>>
>>958381
This. I got a friend who drives a Kia Forte hatch in Pittsburgh. She brings in $50 an hour every day, and up to $100 on weekends, and nets roughly $25/hr after costs on weekdays (including getting the correct "delivery/personal driver" insurance. It's a rider and it's pretty cheap, like an additional $30/month if you have a clean record.)

That's the big kick, you MUST be in at least a medium-large city. Something like Columbia SC, the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Metro, Toledo, etc is the bare minimum. Truly large cities will get you rather good pay.
>>
>>958436
Yes, yes you can. In fact, if you don't, you're retarded.
>>
>>958374
I'm not an uber driver but I am self employed with a similar job.

>If your personal car insurance company finds out your driving for Uber, the insurance policy you paid for is canceled.
That's because you need to have COMMERCIAL vehicle insurance, because technically you now have a commercial vehicle.

>Uber gets 20% of the money made from each ride given.
That's actually not so bad.

What you don't realize is that because you're self employed driving people all of the following become business expenses and are now tax deductible:
>gas
>oil changes
>car washes
>new tires, windshield wipers, air filters, transmission fluid flushes, break pads, air fresheners, audio systems, decals, license plate renewals, etc.
>hell, even buying an entire new car counts as a business expense, so long as you plan to use that car for Uber
>plus the mileage you put on your car is tax deductible too. 57.5 cents per mile. I put on about 60,000 miles annually.

I have so many business expenses preforming routine vehicle maintenance and refilling gas that I pay virtually nothing in federal taxes and only $200-$300 in state taxes annually. It's pretty great.
>>
File: IMG_4305.png (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4305.png
18KB, 300x300px
>>958374
Lyft exists too anon, and a surprising amount of people use it. These services are mainly for people in dense as fuck cities.

Might start driving for Uber or Lyft next year just to make a few extra bucks.
>>
>>958578
All of this. Just keep your receipts. As a driver, *ANYTHING* related to your car is a business expense. Fuel, maintenance, anything.
>>
I live in one of those medium sized cities in which its not mega profitable, but I would still consider it. Weekend nights one can make something like 20 or so bucks an hour or more after basic expenses. I get bored on the weekends and it would be an easy 120 bucks here and there. Not a ton of money but it would knock out a few recurring monthlies and could do it whenever.

I have an issue on my driving record that will be a problem though, so u have to wait for it to roll off. So no dice for now
>>
>>958374
>OP is mad they live in some bumfuck town like it's Uber's fault
>>
>>958374
Looks like you are a lazy crybaby faggot who wants to earn easy bucks without working hard for it.

Good riddance btw, you wouldn't last long.
>>
>>958436
Well unless you are driving some gas guzzler, or a luxury car, using the standard mileage rate is going to give you a FAR better return on taxes. You can actually use standard mileage rates to shield other income.

>>958578
Basically this.

I did uber black for a little bit before the rate reductions. I still technically have a legacy account so I don't need to accept rides from anything but black. Still not worth the time. They flooded the market with more and more drivers, cut rates, and tried to scam me weekly. Got into arguments with support over payment at least 6 times every month.

Now I just rent out the legacy account to somebody who doesn't want to deal with drunk college kids in their 50,000 car. Free 150 bucks a week.
>>
>>958374

>an Uber ride at my door within 5 minutes of a request. every. single. time. 24/7.

There are so many drivers making $$$ it's obvious Uber is not a scam. You must be doing it wrong.
>>
>>960550
Many of the people doing it are not making very good money after expenses. They have a decent car, and then they consume it in the process of working for uber. Most people claiming to make 20 an hour driving for uberx are not factoring in vehicle depreciation, the increased maintenance/wear, or anything else expense related. Sure some costs are relatively static since they wear with time more than mileage, but most vehicle costs are not like this.

Better money than working at McDonalds in a lot of cases, but it's not possible to make legitimately good money doing uber anymore outside of a few very select locations. If you want proof, look at the percentage of white people driving now vs 2 years ago. Right when the rates got cut, I noticed a significant decrease in the percentage of 20-45 white drivers.

Hell, I'm one of them, and I didn't even have to put up with some of the bullshit they make the new uberblack/suv drivers go through. I can reject non luxury fares and It's still not worth it. New people have to drive uberx, even if they are uberblack. I can tell you right now that a luxury sedan costs a fuck ton more than a prius to maintain. Uber claims you get more money by doing combination fares. Total bullshit. After expenses you actually lose money with a high end sedan doing uberx.
>>
>>958374
>wahh we're cheated!

>>wah changing my sleep schedule messes up my menstrual cycle!

In other words - you didn't understand what being sub-contracted is. Now you do. Congrats, you learned.

Go get a job at burger king.
>>
>>958392
>just a naive sophomore in college who almost got tricked into wasting my time and car for very little money.

Nah, you probably were skeptical from the get-go.

Nobody's putting a gun to your head to drive for Uber. Your relative or good friendprobably works for a taxi company, otherwise you wouldn't take the time out of your day to bitch about Uber at >>>/biz/ out of all places. Go the fuck back to >>>/b/ and never come back.
>>
File: 1139437232020.png (12KB, 132x116px) Image search: [Google]
1139437232020.png
12KB, 132x116px
>>958374
>wow, so that's why Uber always used the word "partner", they conveniently never mentioned the details about that.
>b-but i'm a TEAM MEMBER at walmart!
>>
>>958374
It's not a "scam" you fucking moron.

>You're not an employee you're a partner!
It's called an independent contractor you idiot, and it fits all of the criteria of the definition. They don't give you a set schedule, set location to show up for, etc. You're employing yourself.

>They charge a 20% fee wahh wahh
Yeah, and you get to make 80%. Do you know how much you would have made if you didn't have such a highly popular and recognizable app to connect you with customers? 0%.

All of your other bullshit nonsensical points can be refuted as well . Just because it isn't a convenient fit for you, doesn't mean it's a "scam" ????
>>
>>958578
If you are driving for uber there's a good chance that claiming the standard deduction + self allowance would bring your income to near $0 anyway.
>>
>>961181
>If you signup for LYFT use this code '"SCOTT425781"

Scott pls go
>>
>>960561
Yeah but biz/pol is really full of mouthy children. You can deconstruct eBay/Amazon the same way and the reception will be similar. My advice is to sit back and take advantage of the fools who think it's the road to riches. Explain it all, Clarissa, for your own sense of morality and nothing else.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.