[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 52

Previous thread:
>>2845670

Find an MMA Gym in the USA:http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
More to come...
>>
I for 6 months now I have been trying to lose weight for a tournament and I haven't lost anything. My body composition has dramatically changed, I'm much leaner, my muscle mass has increased a great deal, I've been restricting calories and everything but I just can't get below 205
I am going to follow the GSP water cut to try and dehydrate 20 pounds out of my body in a week
>>
>>2875276

what rank are you
>>
>>2875278
I'm doing no gi intermediate 18-30
>>
>>2875168
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:

be unbiased and objective to see anything in the first place
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact
>>
>>2875327

How big is the tournament? Is it local to you or are you traveling?
>>
>>2875334
state wide, but fortunately I live near by so I can do weigh ins the night before since it's no big deal for me to go back the next day
>>
>>2875168
>southpaw
>jab
>switch/cross
>lead leg hook kick (is that what that kick's called?)
I like that.
>>
>>2875341

Good luck. Sounds like a crazy cut
>>
>>2875352
am...am I gonna make it? I've never cut before, normally I just go into these things off the couch at my walking around weight

one more thing
one of the guys on my team decided last minute to register for the same division I'm in. I'm hoping someone beats him so we wont have to fight because I dont want to be the one to do it.

in practice we are evenly matched, it can go either way, but in competition I have no choice but to destroy him and make him regret stepping on the mat with me. I don't want to have to be the bad guy, but once the match starts he is my enemy standing in the way of my achievements.
>>
>>2875427
Just be friendly after
Check out college wrestling guides to cutting weight
>>
>>2875427
>I have no choice but to destroy him and make him regret stepping on the mat with me.
Why, for the achievement?
>>
>>2875427
Quite probably he is thinking the same: I hope someone beats the anon doing weight cut, because I don't want to rip him apart.

Don't be such a pussy. Both of you are going to compete, both should know what's in play here, so do your best and have fun. If neither of you can handle losing to a gym partner, then quite probably neither of you deserve to be there.
>>
>>2875427
20 pounds is an insane amount of weight to cut, but doing it over 6 months won't be terrible. I just would be careful if you have to weigh in the day of, because if you're not used to cutting then you're going to have a bad time.
>>
File: theytookmyface.jpg (142KB, 619x470px) Image search: [Google]
theytookmyface.jpg
142KB, 619x470px
So which Korean martial art is the least bullshit? I'm doing some research for character sketching and want to more closely examine something that isn't bloated with vainglorious impractical acrobatics or insistent on an obviously fabricated history and lineage. The problem is these two problems are standard throughout Korean martial arts where they aren't just plagiarism of other countries' fighting styles.

The only two I've managed to narrow out with some compromise are "traditional" ITF tae kwon do that ignores General Choi's senile sine wave concept and hapkido because even though it has a very dubious origin story it hasn't been adverse to evolution and modification.
>>
>>2876377
Use kuk sool won.

Nearly all the videos I have found are bs, and the wiki page is full of mysticism snake oil and chi, so pretty surely KSW is bs as a whole. However, at one hand, is kind of unknown so it sounds exotic, and if someone dares to question the legitimacy of it, you can ask them to read the school name on the back of this guy:

https://youtu.be/_jNiNqZlDz0
>>
>>2876367

He said he has been TRYING for 6 months with no luck, so he is now going to cut 20 lbs in a week

for a state wide intermediate tournament

>mfw
>>
Tfw realized karate is bullshit so I quit and now I've been doing boxing and wrestling for 4 weeks and can already destroy 90% of TMAfags.
>>
>>2876679
>thinks karate is more traditional than boxing and wrestling which predate it by millennia
>>
>>2876577
Good god that's completely fucking retarded and hard to do unless you're 300 pounds. Even if you cut the weight (which is doable, I've seen it done) you'll just get fucked up by someone who didn't cut 20 pounds in a week like a retard.
>state wide
Kek why would you even cut weight for that if it's BJJ?
>>
>>2876864
because winning smaller tournaments qualify you to participate in bigger tournaments
>>2876148
nah. Winning this shit has been on my mind for months, I've been training really hard and my winning mentality is there. He's just going in for fun because he heard I was doing it and signed up last minute.

he's never experienced competition me. He can potentially beat working out in the gym me because that guy is friendly and cares about the health of his partner, but competition me is a gratuitously cranking, elbow and knee grinding, soup choking, cross facing, complete dick on the floor
>>
>tfw you've been doing kimura through half guard for ages with great success and suddenly discover americana through half guard is even easier

Shit's hilarious. Just fall across their body while catching their arm.
>>
How far away are you from your gym?
>>
The state of karate for the olympics is fucking abysmal, I really hope they change some rules
>>
>>2877972
15 min. I sort of want to go to a gym 40 min away since they have Kali but I'm not sure I'd want to make the trip since I don't have much free time these days.
>>
>>2878351
in regards to what. I'm one of the national team trainers
>>
>>2878437
>but I'm not sure I'd want to make the trip since I don't have much free time these days.
Better to have loved than loss than to work tirelessly while wondering what could've been.
>>
File: muchnippon.jpg (44KB, 428x640px) Image search: [Google]
muchnippon.jpg
44KB, 428x640px
>>2878351
The kumite demonstrations do look rather pathetic. I'm not expecting full-contact knockdown kyokushin since not even Olympic boxing is allowed to go that hard, but I don't see a purpose in these point tag from distance matches uploaded to YouTube as examples of Olympic karate kumite. It will just further embarrass karate in front of the MMA community and contribute to the discipline's dilution.

And I'm not convinced that judgement will be credible for the kata portion of the event. How are they going to maintain consistency between something like an uechi-ryu judge, a shito-ryu judge, a goju-ryu judge, a shorin-ryu judge, and a shotokan judge trying to grade some wado-ryu kata that none of them have seen before? It's a glaring blind spot for the type of corruption that loves to infest the Olympics.

If Olympic karate in this state is what gets popular, then the WKF is going to do to karate what the kukkikwon has done to tae kwon do. Even Olympic judo looks cringe these days.
>>
>>2878585
point karate has seen a surge in popularity since getting approved for the olympics, this was just a marketing move for the WKF to make more money.
schools where national team coaches train, or athletes train have even needed to expand to bigger locations to keep up with the influx of people trying to get in on the olympic action.

it's already corrupt to shit anyway since it's based on global seeding, not national seeding.
your athlete needs to be ranked top 60 globally by the WKF to even be eligible for olympic trials within your country. So unless you already have high level WKF athletes your country isn't going to be represented. the only countries you will see are USA, Japan, France, and a few shits from south america and the eastern block. That's where the top athletes already on the WKF circuit are from
>>
I am thinking about doing kick boxing but im worried about being knocked even more retarded. Is there a big risk for brain damage for someone who isn't looking to compete but would like to become proficient.
>>
>>2879048
Yes
>>
>>2878561
So you're saying I should make the 45-minute drive to train. Well better start saving up for a hybrid
>>
>>2878444
Most of all, the fucking applications, they're unwatchable, have nothing to do with the kata or with any kind of fighting, a glorified ballet
The chicken flailing its arms katas, with long screams that mean nothing, long "artistic" pauses that only look pretentious
The tag games kumite, I gotta say japanese kumite is pretty decent, but world championships are awful

>>2878585
I assume they, like they always do, will just make up random ways to judge people
>>
>>2878687
I assume oblivious people are just desperately trying to get into the olympics at the last second, when the olympics end they'll probably disappear

Already the fact that the olympics committee didn't consult any other organization is fucking ridiculous

Also I already imagine the public wondering on what fucking basis are they scoring people
>>
With all the Olympic Karate talk going on, would anyone be so kind as to post some vid links that give a proper idea of what the kumite looks like?
>>
>>2879687
Just watch world championships, it's 10 minutes of two guys running around the field and doing fakes until one doesn't fake, they start sparring for 5 seconds, then it goes back to running around
>>
So when I'm doing drills where there is focus on hip movement, when I'm twisting my hip my upper body is always following. I find it hard to focus on my hip.

Any tips?
>>
>>2879687
Here's a random one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE41YYkkFqA
No sportsmanship, no care for form

For comparison, here's JKA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwmmr0n2n8
While still suffering from point-sparring, no ridiculous gloves (they don't even touch each other, what's with those cushions), one is in a side stance, the other is clearly in a front stance
Respectful, composed; developed sweeps/takedowns without abandoning everything and pretending to be a judoka; fast where it matters, they remember they have a second arm and that they can kick immediately before/after punching
No running around like retards
Taking the other down is not an objective unless you can punch him after.
WKA is a shitshow
>>
>>2879804
I'll tell you what though, at the qualifiers for WKF nationals there have been some interesting matches because people from TKD and other karate federations with less faggy rules hopped on the scene. I was at one a month or two ago when this little 140 pound sambo guy cleaned house on all of them, won his division and open weight because he was chucking people. You can do throws but can only grab with one arm, so he was hip throwing motherfuckers all day and slamming their shit

I hate the rules, I don't actually practice sport karate I just help train and I'm friends with a lot of the national team athletes, and I work for the head of the olympic committee.
the only reason I even got the job is because I'm /close/ with one of the female national team members, so she started bringing me around and they liked how I had a different perspective on how to do things.
>>
>>2880425
>sambo guy cleaning up a karate tournament
Audible lol. Got footage by any chance?
>>
>>2880916
know whats unfortunate about it? I got incredible footage, up close with some great tracking shots and it was centered and focused the whole time.
but I was recording it on a coaches phone so I don't personally have it :/

I'll tell you though he was snapping those throws hard and rolling out on top of them, and these are thin puzzle mats on the floor so there was a SLAP when they hit and you know it hurt.
he wasn't even scoring on them either, but he was taking the fight out of them with it. he had 6 fights that day and there was at least one highlight reel worthy throw in each of them
>>
>>2879779
Try doing some dancing. No, seriously.

On youtube there's a lot of videos with advice for beginners on hip movements, like arab dance, or some yoga routines. These videos will help you to focus and train your hips which will lead you to have a better control.
>>
File: kyokushin karate.jpg (20KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
kyokushin karate.jpg
20KB, 320x240px
>>2878585
>I'm not expecting full-contact knockdown kyokushin
Kyokushin is the least technical fighting I've ever seen. You've just got a bunch of people throwing straight punches at each other while throwing in some leg kicks in there. The rest of the people are spamming flashy moves to try to get that showreel KO.
>>
File: 1500174951942.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1500174951942.gif
1MB, 250x250px
>>
>>2879554
Apparently they're trying to establish some objectivity by limiting the kata and represented styles to an approved WKF list. Still don't think you can get some of these fossils to budge on what they think is the most proper form.

>>2879779
Don't overly focus on hip action. "Your power comes from the hip" is one of the worst memes in martial arts not because it isn't based in the truth but because it encourages learners to force awkward movements and produce poor biomechanics.

The source of your power is your body movement vector. The hips are just the accelerating actor.

http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/Power.htm
>>
>>2882569
>limiting the kata and represented styles
>the defining aspect of karate are its many styles
I assume they will cut many okinawan styles
>Still don't think you can get some of these fossils to budge on what they think is the most proper form.
I'd say the purpose of katas is a mental one, if you look closely you can tell if a punch has the intent to hurt or to look pretty, but the judges clearly don't give a shit, not to mention how the kiai is just a punch given with all your might, somehow to them it means saying "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Yet when it comes to promoting the technicality, in my experience they just make the retard flailing around win because it looks cooler.
And of course, the one who brings most students always wins.
YET when it comes to technicality, if you look at the right direction a second later it's supposed to be bad, just because it's one of the few things they can put on a scale, when it doesn't matter at all, and the idea you'd turn your head to scan the field is fucking retarded. Yet fighting without looking is retarded too, you don't have spider-senses.
It's all so arbitrary; also if you promote form, it becomes a dance, if you promote emotion it becomes a liberal arts project
>>
File: spinningbirdkick.gif (539KB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
spinningbirdkick.gif
539KB, 300x257px
>>2882669
Kata ought to involve a considerable amount of dissection, reconstruction, personalizing, and creativity. It, like karate as a whole, simply was not invented with contests and competitions in mind. The standardization of pattern was an abstraction for the convenience of learners and the consolidation to make the techniques easier to curate (in ye olden days, a "kata" might only be three or four steps long).

There's arguably no good way to go about it because it's trying to force kata into a format it was never designed to accommodate. Technically a great amount of old teachers disdained any kind of competition, but I think there's more to be said for free form and contact sparring arranged into a contest than something like kata. It'd be like adding a division to boxing where they judge contestants by how well they shuffle, bob, weave, and skip in a straight line.

Judo has kata and TKD has hyeung/poomsae/taeguk/whatever the spicy new totally not Japanese buzzword of the decade, but they don't involve that in their Olympic performances. I don't know why kata is either. Instead they do something cool like kobudo sparring.
>>
>>2882694
>Kata ought to involve a considerable amount of dissection, reconstruction, personalizing, and creativity
Depends, if you want to be proper, the perfect kata is as it is taught by its creator, or the last who modified it.
Or course for the sake of competition and practicality this is ignored and it is more like a form of abstract art, but boy is it angering that one then would think that THAT is how the kata should be.
>>
>>2882694
I agree that karate kata were not invented as competition or mindless pantomime, but without a grounding in the basics breaking down kata can be an act of hubris. though its totally necessary at some point in your training

> last who modified it.

So the sempai who showed it to you because the teacher was too busy?
>>
>>2882732
Given that there are many organizations, it can be how the head does it, otherwise you can roll on the ground and say it's how you do it
And that's exactly how judges behave, by not ranking based on how proper it is (many times they don't even know what the proper way is since they're not of that style), the standard becomes how artsy you make it look
Regardless it has to allow new katas and changes to be made, it just has to come from someone respectable, say he has to hold almost maximum belt given by someone who himself got almost maximum belt etc until you get to the founder

Technically, being in a perfect stance, holding the punch on the side or having the perfect timing can be completely unimportant details of a kata, yet in competition they are the fundamentals of the "performance", they're raping the kata: the judges because they have no idea what the fuck to base the ranking on, the performers because they see how the judges rank and act accordingly
>>
>>2882811
To begin with, the commission of judges itself is rather questionable, all never seen before nobodies rather than say Nakayama's and Higaonna's longest direct students
It's all people who themselves competed in katas and give rankings based on how other people do them based on their own knowledge of pretend dancing
>>
>>2882694
Is this move in the gif hard to do?
>>
Is it better to do the pointy index knuckle of might or the flat hand "snake" to get the arm under the chin?
Knuckle seems more like a power move but it's the way Marcelo does it.
>>
File: loop choke airborne.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
loop choke airborne.webm
2MB, 640x360px
Just happened, what do you think about it?
.webm related.
>>
>>2882569
>http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/Power.htm
Having looked at a few articles on that site I conclude the author to be a total dipshit. These RBSD guys need to kill themselves before someone takes their shit advice and dies.
>>
>>2883053
>That move
I recognize that shit. It's the goddamn emoplata.
>>
>>2883044
I've noticed a trend when it comes to marcelos style
when people teach a move there is a way everyone does it, and then they say "but marcelo does it like this.. I can't get it to work that way but I'm not going to second guess him"

so I will supposed this, there are many techniques that are all about feel, you can't teach feel, you just have to develop it. And his feel is just better than everyone elses so he can feel things into place that most can't
>>
>>2883053
Is that supposed to be hangman without the rope?
>>
I just built a makiwara in my yard
I don't know why, I'm never going to use it probably

it might be worth it though, I feel like my straight punches aren't' hard enough so we will see if it helps
>>
>>2883631
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvYwk7Mh54w concepts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1457qqjEEQ0 kicks
https://youtu.be/uVNKD8ihkvM?t=8s punch-elbow
https://youtu.be/5tWRu_u1Yeg?t=2m42s backfist-punch
>>
>>2880954
Dammit anon, would've loved to see that. Then again, the story itself is already a good one.

>>2882840
Depends on the cat.

>>2883053
My trainer, who has a notorious sitting kata guruma sweep arsenal, saw it earlier today and was trying it on everyone this afternoon. Despite almost never doing loopchokes he pulled it off a couple of times, it's legit.
>>
File: 1500167635011.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1500167635011.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2883330
Guillotine you said?
>>
File: 2017-07-16 18.43.45.jpg (331KB, 530x945px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-16 18.43.45.jpg
331KB, 530x945px
>>
>>2879804
There's this old JKA competition from the 70s that is on Youtube somewhere, but I can't find it. It was between two famous masters (probably Nakayama and some other guy). It was like watching high level fencing. Extremely fast yet precise.

I don't want to go >my superior ancient Nip arts, but the modern point sparring seems like a far cry from it.

>>2883631
Here's a dissenting article.

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140225215911/http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2005/09/29/all-about-makiwara/
>>
>>2884451
I dont really understand what he's saying

I'll say this though, I've put in a little over 100 reps on this thing on each hand so far, my knuckles are really sore, and now I'm hitting a heavy bag with the same technique I was hitting the board with and I feel like I'm digging way deeper into it
>>
File: standing gi choke.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
standing gi choke.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>2883053
can you make another webm this is the replay without the top guy passing and the synching of the choke.

The sequence of events was bottom man went for
a)guillotine

Top player
a)counter with a pass to side control

Bottom player
b) counters/chain grapple, he adjust the grip of his guillotine , in fact when you look at the replay it wasnt that much of a readjust the gullitone already had the lapel grip, so even with the pass to side control, it just dug the choke deeper which explains why he went out so fast

Bottom player
c) opponent is already dead weight and the bottom man is grabbing the close leg to complete a fireman's carry. in terms of wrestling judo its in slo motion, but because opponent is out KO'd bottom man can slowly sit up and lift the guy.
facebook dot com backslack
PasandoGuardia/videos/1334855383298966/

4chan thinks my post is spam with previous link format
>>
File: new kata gurama.webm (646KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
new kata gurama.webm
646KB, 640x360px
>>2883942
how does your trainer few about the new kata gurama and lifts? for myself and other lift based judoka they are a god send
>>
>>2884503
not him but I'll do it when I get home

>>2884474
He's basically if you throw a punch optimally (with proper body mechanics, all your weight going forward, etc.), you should be equally repulsed by the makiwara, preventing you from throwing more than a few punches without killing your arm.

I've never used a makiwara, I just thought the article was interesting compared to the other "I punch my makiwara 10000 times every day yamato damashi" articles.
>>
>>2875276
When do you weigh in?

20lbs is probably too much for a BJJ tournaments regardless.

Jesus Christ.
>>
>>2884560
>you should be equally repulsed by the makiwara
ok, but what exactly is he basing that on?

it's a flexible object and the only energy it has is rebound off of the energy you put into it, so by definition it has less energy than the full power of your punch. it will never be able to kick back at you with the same energy
>>
>>2884503
>>
>>2884838
that's some pretty bad reffing, because he was clearly out even from the back before he even got fully elevated. I don't know why he didn't run around to the front
>>
>>2878585
Kyokushin is a joke.
>>
>>2885071
it's unfortunate. as gay as point karate is, I'd rather watch it than kyokushin because at least there is some skill on display. kyo just looks like thrashing around hoping to get a lucky shot in
>>
>last week judo
>this week kyo
Not like it doesn't have it's problems but I call tell it's gonna be this week's shitpost material.
>>
>>2885071
>>2885115
>>2882270
Kyokushin is weird.

The guys who do it are tough and are good kickers who can throw from all sorts of weird angles, but don't prepare for punches to the head, literally the most common attack out there.

There's been successful Kyokushin kickboxers, so clearly it has some merit. I'd still like to know the nip rationale for the ruleset though. I heard that some of the original subs in judo were allowed because they caused injuries that wouldn't affect your ability to go to work very much. I don't know if that's an urban legend or not, but it would make sense considering the weird Japanese work ethic.
>>
File: spacebear.jpg (19KB, 346x346px) Image search: [Google]
spacebear.jpg
19KB, 346x346px
>Go to a party
>eat buffalo chicken dip and get smashed
>pass out
>dream sequence begins
>Steven Segal steps into a UFC octagon
>"Brazilian Jujutsu is a meme"
>Raises his arm and hurls himself in aikido uke fashion spinning into a naked fighter like Sonic the Hedgehog
>Wake up laughing like an idiot because the idea of Steven Segal calling anything a meme cracks up my simple sense of humor.

But what did it mean?
>>
>>2885198
Other than avoiding boxer's fractures, when there's bareknuckle punching to the face and you know enough not to break your shit, then there tends to be lots of bleeding, cuts, scars, etc, and I'm pretty sure japan ain't too big on those.
>>
>>2885242
yeah but you can largely avoid the cutting by using open hand strikes

also I might be misremembering in combination with hearing some about fallacious mystic traditions from the far east. but I may or may not have heard that striking someone in the face is traditionally considered DISHONORABUU and shouldn't be done without good cause. And I suppose sport isn't a good enough reason
>>
>>2885204
your picture reminds me of a few years ago when salvia was the new popular drug for white suburban teens

this one kid had smoked it and was sitting fetal on a chair rocking and giggling nervously
>you alright over there?
>I'm in space...with my feet!
>ok then
>>
>>2884838
Could i make another request this one might be tougher since of the size limitation of this board
But could you make a webm of this entire clip with close captions on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5mGuZ5DlKU
>>
>>2885198

Kyokushin kumite used to allow blows to the face, but too many students were getting seriously injured or embarrassed by the disfigurement, temporary or not. The ones that quit training weren't as big of a concern as the ones who faced the danger and had to leave practice to recover. So rather than wear gloves they just banned facial blows with the exception kicks based on the logic that any aware and sensible fighter can see one telegraphed soon enough to soften impact most of the time.

Some of the offshoots from kyokushin have reintroduced blows to the head in full with protection or in part with "light contact" where you can jab/bop the nose or forehead. They are not nearly as commonplace as the original kaikan, though.
>>
>>2885581
I think I saw you make the request on /heem/

I was going to do it, but I forgot about it.

I had to make the subtitles manually, since I couldn't figure out a way to rip the auto-generated subtitles. Auto-generated subtitles seem more accurate now than they did when they first came out, but I still had to go in and correct it. They also don't have punctuation, so I tried to add it myself (which was more difficult than you think since this guy seems to speak exclusively in run-on sentences).
>>
>>2884615
It's a known thing, if you put your body weight behind it, your shoulder will get back the punch plus the momentum of your body, you can do footwork, but stop moving the legs when you throw the punch (you do have to rotate the hips though)
>>
>>2885581
>Banning grips for being too effective
Judo is such a fucking joke. Every year judo gets more and more restrictions while BJJ gets more and more innovations and new techniques. No wonder judo has no success in MMA, it's been watered down so much it won't work outside the olympic ruleset.
>>
tfw no muay thai gf
>>
>>2884512
Well, given that he's a pure BJJ player he gives no fucks about the Judo rules. My judo trainers generally dislike the ban on leg grabs but don't compete anymore, and none of them really favoured kata guruma to begin with.

Used to do kata gurumas myself, but never really got the hand of the new ones because I didn't put in enough time. Glad there's some innovation though, but too much is being lost as it is.
>>
File: IMG_0074.jpg (71KB, 703x703px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0074.jpg
71KB, 703x703px
>>2886227
>>
>>2886235
For me, it's Jessica Andrade
>>
>>2886155
Not just a Judo thing. When it comes to gripping inside your opponent's sleeve, all gi grappling arts - BJJ, Judo, Sambo etc - have the same basic rule: it's banned because it results in broken fingers and stalling.
>>
>>2886155
Do you even have a white belt? How useful do you think grabbing inside the sleeve would be in MMA, where combatants are sleeveless?
>>
>>2886034
Thank you.
>>
File: exploding breasts.jpg (172KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
exploding breasts.jpg
172KB, 1280x720px
Thoughts on Bas' stance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COUG4CDTRQ
>>
>sifu starts teaching me bagua for a performance for our grandmaster
>draw a chalk circle in the middle of the school
>taking up too much space so I just make one outside in the back instead
>guy working at a restaurant nearby is taking out trash and sees me, in all black uniform, walking in a circle with my palms raised
>realize I look like I'm in a cult now

my sifu just laughed his ass off
>>
>>2886868
I just realized I'm posting in a thread with McDojo victims. Please start training an actual martial art.
>>
>>2886888
>mcdojo
>implying belts
>>
>>2886893
All I need to hear is "sifu" and that's enough red flags to confirm that you're being scammed.
>>
>>2886897
Then you're retarded.

There's a lot of shitty martial artists and instructors out there. But I've known this guy for 10 years. I have seen that he is really good and that he was taught by a man who is real fuckin good. He is the complete opposite of McDojo Sensei #553.
>>
>>2886915
Vid related your "sifu" vs me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUOXGQ0MqP0
>>
>>2886955
We were talking about that guy actually, and all the bullshit he used to claim about his "chi powers" and other bullshit. It's clear he's a fraud with no idea what he's doing.
>>
>>2886861
Pros:
Both sides become power sides

Cons:
Wider profile makes it easier to land shots on you
>>
>>2886888
>>2886897
you are the guy I warn people about in the first chapter of my book
not everyone has to be a fighter to enjoy martial arts.
its you TUFF GAI >:( ufc bro!s that walk around talking about how great you are and how you can beat anyone and claiming all of these fakes are walking around while you try to debunk them, meanwhile they never challenged you or anybody else and have never claimed to be great fighters.

there's nothing wrong with people doing tai chi in the park, and their pursuit is just as legitimate as you broing out in the gym, possibly more so because they aren't insecure about their hobby so much they need to keep degrading others around them
>>
>>2887429
>b-b-b-but muh bullshido is just as legitimate it's not like i actually wanted to learn how to fight
It's okay anon. How many years did you waste, and which "martial art"? Wing chun? Kung fu? Aikido? Don't fall for the sunk costs fallacy and start trying to justify continuing in mcdojo shit. It's never too late to turn your life around.
>>
>>2887461
you're making too many assumptions. There are many people who get into judo or sport karate because they want to play the sport, not because they want to win all of these fictional street fights they will never get into that you seem to be so obsessed with. I almost signed up for a kung fu class not because I wanted to fight, but because I was blown away by how limber and how incredible their sense of balance was.

You obsess over the martial, and ignore the art.

maybe you wouldn't have to work so hard to get ready for fights if you didn't go around picking fights with people all the time. You aren't tough, you're just insecure and pathetic looking. Especially since you dedicate so much time to being a FIGHTERAAAAA!!!! and like 99% of your kind, you aren't even particularly good compared to others who do the same.
>>
>>2887477
Look at that tai chi guy in the video, he clearly thought he could take on the MMA guy. You've wasted years of your life practicing bullshit that will never work, and now you're trying to justify the time you've spent by coming up with any reason to practice that shit ("sense of balance" lel).
At least you realize that what you're doing is bullshit, unlike most of the wing chun aikido ninja RBSD masters who claim they would defeat multiple opponents via eye gouges and groin strikes, but at the end of the day you're still practicing bullshit.
>>
>>2878585
>How are they going to maintain consistency between something like an uechi-ryu judge, a shito-ryu judge, a goju-ryu judge, a shorin-ryu judge, and a shotokan judge trying to grade some wado-ryu kata that none of them have seen before?

They will have seen it before. The judges are tested on other stye's katas for WKF international qualifications (I know a couple); the tests is actually pretty rigorous.

Not saying it won't be corrupt, but it's not THAT bad.
>>
>>2887523
>he clearly thought he could take on the MMA guy
he sure did, and he paid a price for it
and anyone walking around claiming they have exceptional skills at fighting should live knowing someone may one day challenge that claim, yourself included.
but that's where this agreement ends, because you are still assuming everyone has the same sinister motives of wanting to harm others that you are carrying.
many people are perfectly content doing kata in front of a mirror and never raising their fist against an opponent in a fight. how do I know this? it's because places that run their schools like that couldn't exist if people didn't like it.
Why does cardio kickboxing exist? all those middle aged women don't give a fuck about fighting or even about good technique at the end of the day, they just want to learn enough moves so they can hit the bag and get a work out in.
do you think people that do weapon arts are really expecting to go out there and get into a sword fight? No, they aren't interested in fighting, they are interested in studying the history of martial arts and how it developed over time
and the people doing tai chi in the park, are they out there trying to fight anyone? no, they are interested in enjoying the morning relaxing in the park and socializing with people around them

there is more to this than fighting, nobody has a more legitimate pursuit than anyone else so long as you are honest about what you are doing. You need to learn this and humble yourself a bit. Stop assuming all people want the same things as you.
>>
>>2887523
just save yourself the time and invest in a gun and/or knife

or get your life together and get out of the ghetto
>>
>>2887461
I'm not the guy you were replying to, but I am the guy who first starting talking about bagua.

Traditional Chinese martial arts can be used for fighting. Take stuff like Hung ga (which is what I primarily do) or shuai jao, for example. Two incredibly brutal styles of fighting that can most definitely maim and kill people (or they never would have been developed).

However, the Communist government in China killed or exiled all of the masters to the U.S. Then they created Wushu, which is "martial arts" without the "martial." They have competitive kickboxing, as well as imported martial arts after China re-opened, but they literally killed off everybody that knew anything (except for random dudes that live in the mountains and such). So then you end up with people like this Tai Chi "master" who don't know shit about how to actually apply anything in their style and they get their asses kicked, because the only thing they ever learned was wushu BS.

Think about it like this, dude: body mechanics haven't changed from ancient China to now. People had to learn how to fight to defend themselves. The styles were always designed with combat in mind. How would it make any sense for people to make random "almost-fighting" movements and styles when they HAD to actually be ready to fight?

Futhermore, I agree with the other guy. Very few modern instructors are concerned with how, who, and when they fight. They're all 100% or 110% every time. If you are always so focused on violence, you are not in control of the morality of your actions.
>>
have been doing krav maga for almost a year now (not much,i know) the legit kind...
i have been toying with the idea to start muay thai as well, is that...smart...
>>
>>2887626
>yeah yeah, kung fu is bullshit, but would you look at that, the one _I_ do happens to be legit
>>
File: bitchbake.jpg (376KB, 500x584px) Image search: [Google]
bitchbake.jpg
376KB, 500x584px
>>2886955
Funny how you're trying to look smart but upload something mutually misinterpreted by the Chinese state media and MMAutists who can't into Chinese and research more about the participants.

The MMA artist, Xu Xiadong, actually considered himself fighting for the respectability of Chinese martial arts. His background before joining his MMA training program was in traditional Chinese styles, and he still trains them to be a better competitor. What pissed him off is how the government has tried to rebuild a carnival sideshow version of Chuan Fa/Kung Fu/ after willingly making war against their own peoples' culture and destroying much of the evidence of how the Chinese martial arts were genuinely practiced all the while having the nerve to continue asserting that Mao did nothing wrong. He believes that the traditional arts, when analyzed and sparred in the form that they most likely were before this hollow and hasty reconstitution, are useful. His intent was to discredit mystic man BS, not prove the superiority of his gym's curriculum to the traditional arts in general.

Meanwhile, the Tai Chi "grandmaster" wasn't even good at his Tai Chi. His "thunderclap" style is made-up bullshit that not even other Tai Chi artists who don't take what state media vomits out seriously. It's sort of like the difference between Sambo and Systema. Furthermore, there are videos surfacing now of him getting his ass kicked at push-hands, the type of grapple-sparring that traditional Tai Chi schools use. He was an asshole and the one who challenged Xu to a fight. When Xu had to reschedule due to a real life conflict, not decline but reschedule, he shitposted all over the Chinese version of Twitter about how Xu pussed out and feared his chi.

TL;DR, the Jew of the East sets the narrative and MMA spergs drink down the cummies in their tummies because they spin it for their own confirmation bias.

>>2887523
>MMA is the closet thing to a real fight for testing what just werks
>>
>>2887853
No, kung fu is not bullshit. Many styles aside from hung ga are good, such as shuai jiao, which I don't practice and don't even know anyone that does except what I've seen at tourneys and such. It's just Wushu that is bullshit.
>>
>>2875168
Which hentai?
>>
>>2887853
>>2889281
Even Wing Chun is good if they just spar a little more.
>>
I've been doing BJJ for 4 months now. We got two new bois last week and I can totally manhandle them. It feels pretty dank, I want them to get better tho, to have more people to roll with.
>>
>>2890871
You're nothing if you can't also strike and mix striking and grappling you'd get destroyed by a MMA fighter
>>
>>2890969
ur a fagit
>>
File: hand lock into kata gurama.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hand lock into kata gurama.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>2886034
hey man thank you i really appreciate it
>>
>>
>>
File: waki gatame no gi 1.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame no gi 1.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>
File: waki gatame no gi 2.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame no gi 2.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>
>>2887626
You are so full of bullshit you don't even know it.

Your claim that hung ga and shuai jiao would not exist if they were not capable of maiming/killing is absolutely unfounded. First, you assume this was the intent of the creators of each style. You really need to understand that the mcdojo has existed long before martial arts were brought to the West, long before the cultural revolution, long before the Qing overthrew the Ming, etc etc. Secondly, your line of thinking assumes all efforts are successful in line with intent. We know failure exists as a concept, thus you are wrong. Even if the singular intent was to create an effective fighting art (and not make money), it is entirely possible they failed.

Additionally, CMA are rooted in psuedoscience and primitive, uneducated ideas that are laughable in the light of today's knowledge. Qi gong? Yin and yang? Five elements? Animal styles? Are you fucking kidding? How is your tiny hand with it's delicate philanges and brittle nails supposed to replicate a tiger's paw? Is your hand longer than your forearm, lined with a serrated edge, and protected by an exoskeleton? No? Then gtfo with this praying mantis bullshit. Traditional Chinese martial arts are inextricably tied to these outdated ideas and are flawed from their very inception.

On top of that, there was a high degree of xenophobia and a desire for secrecy, leading to shitty fighters fighting shitty fighters and never getting better. The samurai had a similar problem: they engaged in a highly ritualized form of warfare safely on their island without knowing any better until the Mongols showed up and fucked them up in initial confrontations. Had it not been for storms at sea cutting off supplies, the Mongols would have conquered Japan easily. So it goes with the Chinese: Despite superior technology and numbers, the Chinese constantly found themselves getting their shit wrecked by 'barbarian' tribes.

(More to follow)
>>
>>2887626
>>2891516
(Cont)

Assuming the best case scenario and CMA were meant for combat and were highly effective, you are talking about practices from hundreds of years ago. How would a Civil War era infantryman fare against today's 11 bravo? Yeah, I get that the body hasn't changed as drastically as weaponry has over time, but you know what has seen significant improvement? Knowledge in strength and conditioning training, understanding and access to nutrition, effective practices, superior equipment, and medical care to minimize time away from training. If you are sitting in a horse stance for hours and hours instead of squatting under a heavy barbell for 3x5, you are wasting your time

Source: I am Chinese and wasted a good amount of my childhood on this bullshit and am more intimately familiar with my culture than you will ever be.
>>
File: juji drill 1.gif (2MB, 248x214px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 1.gif
2MB, 248x214px
>>
File: juji drill 2.gif (2MB, 254x203px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 2.gif
2MB, 254x203px
>>
I honestly don't know why anybody can still deny that the only martial art they need for striking is Muay Thai. It's literally and objectively the most perfect and brutal striking art ever created. They punch harder, kick faster, elbow loopier, and knee with more borborygmi force than any other style's punching, kicking, elbowing, or kneeing period end of discussion. This is consistently proven by the invincible unbroken streak of Thai ladybois destroying black American boxers, throwing Judo World Heavyweight Champions, clinch killing kung fu experts, and exploding Koreans on contact with their patella.

In a real Muay Thai match at least one combatant dies. Sometimes both die. The side-effects of attending a Nuk Muay throwdown have been recorded in "Nature" and the BMJ as including hematomas, pregnancy, and erectile dysfunction. Before every fight they do a clinically proven respect dance to ward off cancer and limber the ligaments, but other striking arts are bullshit because they only learn kata and not dancing.

I dare anybody to prove me wrong that somebody who comments on Muay Thai videos on YouTube couldn't always beat up somebody who comments on karate videos on YouTube.
>>
>>2890969
I don't care about fighting, I started BJJ because I needed excersize that was fun. It just feels good to feel slightly competent at something.
>>
>>2891884
In case you don't know better, we have a resident autist. Is easy to spot him:

>Believes mma is a style of fighting, rather than the blend of several. Usually, martial artists use the name of their style even on UFC matches, and usually promoters present them as such. I.e.- John Smith is black belt in chin chong chang. Our local autist goes to train mma, according to him. Not karate/muay thai/boxing + judo/bjj/wrestling, just mma.
>Practising any other thing to his approved list of styles (usually, only mma) automatically qualifies you as loser, cuck, etc.
>Which remind me, he have some cuckold fetish, because he employs the word cuck in like every other sentence.
>Gives advice on how to do everything wrong expecting people to take him seriously.
>Once exposed as fraud, he goes into rage mode, challenging anyone to prove he can totally submit them with his superior mma style. Obviously, there's no record of him fighting any /asp/ie.

There's the chance there's more than one guy using the same shitposting tactics, but in general, those are the most common baits and traits of the mmautist.

Man, I kinda miss wu.
>>
>>2892767
just wait until goju guy gets out of prison, then he will come back to defend our honor once again
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 540x960px
How do i get into learning wrestling?

I didnt do it in middleschool or high school but it seems really valuable.
>>
>>2893054
well you could try and join a MMA gym and ask the coaches about their wrestling coach, network from their and see if your local area has wrestling clubs.

Same could be said about going to your local highschool and even middle school, talking to the coaches their and see if they are part of local/smaller grappling and wrestling teams/clubs

worse case scenario asking said coaches for private lessons
>>
>>2891516
>>2891520
A number of things.

Firstly, the lethality of these martial arts. If they didn't work, they would not have survived--they wouldn't survive bandits, they wouldn't survive duels, and they wouldn't survive contact with other martial arts. But they did. Traditional martial arts naturally underwent a process of natural selection. If it was better than what came before, a new system or style would supersede the old.

Secondly, on secrecy. Yes, the older teachers don't like to share what they know, which leads to knowledge getting lost (which is something my teacher says he wants to do differently). Even my sigong doesn't like to get into the particulars of certain stuff if he doesn't think the person is ready or worthy (which can be a very subjective judgement).

Third, you compare success and failure in open warfare to individual fighting techniques. It's not like Chinese soldiers fighting the Mongolians were ALL kung fu masters and lost because of their individual style. Their failure was on a strategic and group-tactics level, not an individual one.

>I get that the body hasn't changed as drastically as weaponry

It hasn't changed at all! Yes, we understand more now, but you act like modern instructors of traditional martial arts can't use that knowledge. We don't sit in horse stance for 3 hours anymore. Not even my sifu had to do that, and he learned from a pretty old-school guy. Strength training and most technical practice is on the students themselves. We go to the studio to correct our practice, get it perfect, and then learn new things.

Furthermore, MMA and such have basically thrown out those hundreds of years of knowledge (even from HEMA, though that has even fewer surviving systems) and started over from scratch.

The funny thing is that MMA, Krav Maga, etc, have ended up developing movements and techniques that are surprisingly similar to many older martial arts.

1/2
>>
>>2893108
2/2

As for pseudoscience: I'm sure a lot of it is bullshit. Our sifu even tells us not to believe it until we see it--but I have seen some stuff in action. People try to elevate it to the level of magic, but it isn't that.

Take qigong and acupuncture, for example.

If you go to an acupuncturist, you'll notice that they will pinch the needles between their fingertips. That is them "completing the circuit," because "Chi" is just the bioelectric and chemical signals in your body. Some of them even use batteries now, and just let the electric current run through you. I am personally uncertain of its effectiveness, but people I trust do vouch for it for certain issues. The acupuncturist they all go to is also an MD.

Also, many of those "acupuncture meridians" line up with bundles of nerves. Don't underestimate ancient Chinese medicine. A lot is BS, but they weren't stupid, an figured out some things way before the West.

Qigong and other "internal" martial arts are the manipulation of those bioelectric signals and other body mechanics for use in fighting.
>>
>>2893108

Some "psudoscientific" practices can be very useful. Exercises like Qui Gong were practiced all across Asia by martial artists from India to Japan. The permutations were slightly different, but they all involved holding the body in controlled tension while keeping everything unnecessary relaxed. There are old judo manuals that describe this and even include solo exercises to cultivate it.
On the mental side, almost all Japanese martial arts took practices from Buddhist and Shinto spiritual exercises and retooled them to better integrate the student with the curriculum. Today they serve as psychological training.

As for CMA specifically, it is most likely most of what you see today is not really an accurate reflection of what they used to do. I mean, the forms probably look similar, but the training and use are were very different.
Wrestling for example was a universal part of martial training throughout Asia. They still do it in places like Chen village. Solo forms were only one part of a training regime involving sport grappling, two man partner drills, and challenges against people from other styles.

This is a separate issue but the latest historiography on the mongol invasions completely disagree with your conclusions on Japanese military preparedness.
>>
>>2893265
>As for CMA specifically, it is most likely most of what you see today is not really an accurate reflection of what they used to do. I mean, the forms probably look similar, but the training and use are were very different.

We still do two man drills and forms, as well as sparring. We don't wrestle, but it's not really part of the styles that the sifu knows (we do learn how to counter basic wrestling techniques with our own stuff, though).

>This is a separate issue but the latest historiography on the mongol invasions completely disagree with your conclusions on Japanese military preparedness.

I was talking about the Chinese, not the Japanese.
>>
File: 1310214828136.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1310214828136.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>2893108
>Firstly, the lethality of these martial arts. If they didn't work, they would not have survived
Stop it. Bronze age is over. Guns are everywhere. Those who train to fight know that very well.
TMA survive as self-defense means because too many people drink the Kool aid.
They're only good for fitness.
TMA stopped the survival mode in the XIXth century, when the West decided to pacify and civilize the rest of the world against its own will.
Don't even bother for a second part to your rambling.
Post cool .gif and .webm instead. MA/TMA/conditionning related related.
>>
>>2893289
Sorry

I meant
>>2893265

for >>2891516
>>
>>2893309
Oh.

>>2893289 here, sorry.
>>
>>2893313
I would add that, doing all those things in the since they have been preserved is one thing.

Doing them to the point of practicality is something else. Its like the difference between a skeleton and a living body. I can't speak to your training of course without seeing it, but if for example you are preparing to fight with swords it would not be uncommon for people to often revive cuts or hard hits from training weapons. People doing judo frequently get injuries and even broken bones. People in modern striking arts often suffer concussions. These things happen because they are pushing the envelope. Training for a hypothetical fight can be very different from training for a real fight, even if that real fight involves rules. If you know your life or rep is going to depend on you using what you are being taught you are going tot train hard and even take risks.

many TMA guys dont do this because the fight is only theoretical for them.
>>
>>2893306
>Guns are everywhere
Not everyone is a burger and needs firearms to compensate for their tiny dicks...
>>
>>2893306
McGregor is going to do the same thing to Mayweather

put his hands behind his back and KO the nig coming in.
>>
>>2893366
>Mayweather
>coming in
Have you not seen his dance moves?
>>
>>2893368
you mean him hugging and holding his opponent yeah he's going to get meme'd on by Connor
>>
>>2893306
define TMA
>>
>>2893972
What western Boxing used to be.
>>
>>2893972
>>2895517
You mean what Boxing is.

>Out dated methods
>more exercise, kata and forms (shadow boxing), and bagwork than anything else
>drills have on pressure and no resistance (mit work)
>cult mentality, the coach knows all and don't question him, just do what you're told
>can't get with the times, a real clinch, trips, sweeps, takedowns, knees, elbows, kicks, forearms, shoulders, a plethora of footwork and stances from different styles
>always get their legs kicked in
>always get out-clinched
>always get tripped
>always get thrown
>always get taken down
>get hit with knees and elbows all day
>head kick KO
>chokes all day
>joints popping out all over the place
>broken bones everywhere
>can't in to submissions
>>
>>2893365
>g-guns are just penis envy

The desperate meme of those living in unfree nations.
>>
>>2895591
what I'm saying is what shitposters always shout as TMA, is not traditional and is in fact very modern. Karate has existed for less than 100 years for example
wrestling is the most traditional martial art there is dating back thousands of years but you never hear anyone say something bad about it.
the term TMA is retarded, what they mean is "things you wear a gi for"
>>
>>2895764
It depends on where you arbitrarily draw the line at when anything in the modern sense began. There's pretty much no martial art or combat sport in existence today that hasn't provably changed based on primary historical sources within the past 100 if not 50 years or less.

Even those Japanese koryu sword arts guys who insist they're all preserving what their ancestors did 600 years ago are full of shit. The "koryu" today is different from the swordplay of 1955, which is different form the swordplay of 1900, which is different from 1870, etc.
>>
>>2895770
I'm going to tell you exactly what happened. People shit all over traditional martial arts, but the problem is their idea of what's traditional is extremely modern. the problem is they don't go back far enough, the traditional ones are the only ones that really work.
it's part of that human arrogance where every generation thinks they are so much smarter than the ones before them.

lets talk human history, hundreds of thousands of years going back to the stone age, humans fought. and muh modern MMAutists for some reason believe through all those billions of lives lived and lost to violent conflict, nobody actually figured out how to really fight until 1992

the traditional stuff from a few hundred years ago is what actually worked when trained warriors went out and killed each other in organized hand to hand combat. Then In the past century people took those combat arts and decided to make sports out of them, essentially stripping them of everything that made them effective because people wanted to play the sports without really hurting each other gratuitously.

and now what we have are people taking those sports, because they are sports, MT, BJJ, Judo, Boxing, TKD, Karate, Wrestling, every single one of them as they exist today are sports NOT martial arts, not actually built for combat but instead for competition. People are now taking those sports and trying to distill some useful combat techniques out of them instead of just going back to see how they looked before people decided to make games out of them.
>>
>>2895792
Already in the early 1900s the most important karate teacher had the opinion that by then martial arts were obsolete and had little use in the real world, so he pushed for the fitness and character-building aspects of karate, making the state implement it as a course for kids first, put it in high schools later, and finally achieving his goal of putting it into military training.
With losing the war there was no point in the soldier-forming aspect, but the martial art remained
Since high school/university students wanted competition, a big movement split and created them, giving japanese karate a second purpose
They passed it to other countries where people could just split off in the organizations they wanted and it became anarchy, it's probably the same for chinese stuff: the real teacher has no say when some autist who trained with him for 2 years opens a gym 20+ kilometers away from him, 70% of gyms are like that, people conveniently branching off so they don't have to keep up to the standard
And in the end, the "real" gyms, by pursuing realism in their own way become bad versions of kickboxing/mma anyway
>>
>>2895792
I forgot what I wanted to say: when people say traditional they don't mean ancient, they just mean those martial arts that seem to have a cultural baggage rather than being all about the sport
>>
>>2896151
>the most important karate teacher

Who was that? Itosu? Funakoshi?
>>
>>2896320
Itosu, Funakoshi just continued Itosu's plan and took it to fruition
>>
>>2895770
No, most koryu guys are perfectly aware their arts change, after all we have videos going back turn of the century and can see minute differences between what was done then and now.

Its things like the gokui, that are usually written down and have more to do with physiological organization while fighting, that are "unchanged"

But it really isn't about preserving something perfectly. Its about learning everything the previous generation has to offer and they working with it yourself.
>>
>>2893108
>Furthermore, MMA and such have basically thrown out those hundreds of years of knowledge and started over from scratch.
It actually didn't. Modern MMA has it's roots in TMA and without traditional styles it would not exist.
>https://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/12/1/3669774/the-forgotten-golden-age-of-mma-part-i-the-golden-age-of-wrestling
>https://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/12/8/3669792/the-forgotten-golden-age-of-mma-part-two-the-rise-of-judo-dawn-of-new-age-john-nash
>https://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/12/15/3669800/the-forgotten-golden-age-of-mma-part-3-sherlock-holmes-les-apaches
>https://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/12/22/3669814/the-forgotten-golden-age-of-mma-part-iv-ultimate-fighting-of-the
Far before, the Belle Epoch and MMA even existed as well TMA's were mixing styles.
>The funny thing is that MMA, Krav Maga, etc, have ended up developing movements and techniques that are surprisingly similar to many older martial arts.
Because they took straight from older martial arts, there are plenty of examples of both simple and advanced movements from traditional/other styles, not to mention outright 'traditional' styles like Karate and Taekwondo; and also the fact that styles like MT, Boxing, Judo and Wrestling were either once traditional styles themselves, descended from highly respected traditional styles and too existed long before MMA
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyth7pxQLuI
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJKzZAqU8fs
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EOFdG44o-I
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdFLVC_2ND4
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T02FfY0zHy4
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE062DV_Mys
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZBaBY2oenU
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHLvX-vp0M
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U60da38UXUY
>>
>>2895591
>mit work has no pressure and no resistance

Ask me how I know you've never boxed
>>
File: 1338151411711.gif (2MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1338151411711.gif
2MB, 280x210px
>>2893365
I'm not even a burger, but guns are actually everywehre. You and I don't want to put up the money and time to get one fast. Because we got to much to lose for such an endeavour.
>>2893972
Trolling Meathead Acts.
Yeah, this is bait.
Cunt.
>>2895591
Bait 101, good, but not enough. Have you already faced a boxer in close quarter - i.e. somewhere cramped or with a lot of stuff blocking your movements?
>>
>Pretty new and shit to bjj
>Coach is fucking amazing, found a real gem
>Going 4x a week
>Most members go 2x a week or less
>Progressing well
>Held a bloke who'd been going for 12 months for a full roll until I made a mistake, even got a solid kimura
>Whenever I'm rolling with the coach he lets me get into place to practice certain moves

I want him to punish my mistakes so I get better. How do I ask him to not let me make mistakes without seeming overconfident? I know I'm dogshit in comparison, but I feel like he goes too easy for my ego or something.
>>
File: 1481332440406.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1481332440406.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>2897007
Personnal advice for you to get better faster:

Run a bjj journal of every session, especially the technique part. but also keep track of what made you tap (and how) and what you did well.

Do conditioning. Basic mode, push-up, pull-up, squats, lunges, planks, abwheel, bridge. Do deadlift and weighted squat, especially the overheadsquat.. Work your way up to the muscle-up

Do Yoga. You'll learn to take care of your joints and the rest of your body. You'll also learn how to breath properly, which helps a lot under pressure.

Do them In that order.

Aside a second gi, get kneepads and a mouth guard. Maybe a helmet if your game is so.

Work on your breakfall and your stand up, the lead to new thing on the ground.

Random .webm maybe related.
>>
>>2893972
TMA is a nonterm. Compare a chinese martial art to a koryu, to a fillipino art, to some of the stick fighting lineages in Europe

Granted there will be a handful of generalaities you could point to, most of which apply to modern arts as well.

Usually when someone says: TMA they just mean what this guy says:
>>2895764
something you wear a gi for, other than BJJ
>>
>>2897007
>I want him to punish my mistakes so I get better.
A very important and almost universally overlooked part of getting better is sparring against people who are worse than you so as to allow you to properly study and develop technique without going 'shitshitohfucknopeohgodwhathappened' all the time.

blog time
>some brown belt kimuras me all the time
>start trying it myself on white belts
>learn to catch arms from anywhere on top
>learn to pull off kimura from there
>develop a highly succesful variant through opponent's half guard
>by now I've caught everyone except the aforementioned brown belt with said kimura

Same thing happened when I walked into another BJJ place when abroad this year. Caught everyone with it. All because I practised the fuck out of it against people who were worse than me. Now working on americana through half guard.

Tl;dr never underestimate the value of training with lower level people or people who let you play your game to grow as a martial artist.
>>
>>2897939
>Tl;dr never underestimate the value of training with lower level people or people who let you play your game to grow as a martial artist.
Cannot stress this enough.
This is why white belts are seen as fresh meat, because they allow you to sharpen your fangs.
>>
>>2898093
that's why the going is tough for me, I've been at this for about 2 years now and in that time there have been 4 new white belts, 2 of which were wrestlers so it's not like they are complete fish with no idea what they are doing
one of them quit after about 2 months, the other one is fresh about a month but is a total fish so I don't get the right reactions to try anything, he just flops over.

I'll start by letting him get me in side control or turtled or something, and he just gives space and flops. It's like wrestling a corpse, so I'm not actually improving
>>
>tfw got caffeine withdrawal today
>tfw I'm less of a martial artist without coffee
>ftw I'm a worse fighter without coffee
>>
>>2899220
stimulants make you a better you, this is no surprise

sensei used to say back in the 80s they had this thing called animal class. It was at 2pm when the crowd that would attend them would be just waking up because it was full of night cops, bouncers, and derelicts in general.

he said back then everybody was juicing and would get coked up out of their minds and they would just beat the shit out of each other
>>
>>2899315
>stimulants make you a better you, this is no surprise
Drugs make you weak and dependent. Without them, you're nothing. You're a shell of a man, you're less than a man, you only somewhat resemble a functioning human being with your drug, you're only a fraction of a man without them.
>>
>>2899359
that's not really true
you aren't weak without them, its just that normal feels weak compared to how powerful you are with them.
people say they will give 100%, and that's truthfully all you can give under normal circumstances. But if you want to give 110% or more? you need to use something that allows you to go EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zLUYwjbW4
>>
>>2899446
>you aren't weak without them, its just that normal feels weak compared to how powerful you are with them.
No, it is true. When you become psychologically and or physically dependent, you physically and or psychologically withdraw.
You get more emotional and irritable, you get headaches, your psychological energy is low, your physical energy is low, you can't concentrate, you can't push yourself, you feel bad, and you just suck.

When you become dependent and withdraw, you're no longer 100%, and you're not longer 110%. You're 90%. Some people get it bad and become 70% or even worse.
You have to spend all your time and energy to taper off, readjust, and get back on the horse, all while keeping yourself from being dependent again, all while you could've just taken care of yourself, been at 100% all the time, and not have to deal with the bullshit.
>>
My dojo is pretty small and my teacher can't cope with everyone. I always cheer my mates and give them "tips" I'm not the best cause I started training late but I feel like I have a good eye so I tend to give advices to the younger guys.

Am I fucking up? Should I stfu?
>>
>>2899504
Probably mostly stfu except for stuff you're really certain about.
>>
>>2896699
You're right. Thinking back on that post I don't know why I said things that way, it doesn't make sense--the early creators of MMA obviously knew and learned from those other martial arts, otherwise it wouldn't be "mixed."

I think my greater issue is that people who learn "MMA" and shit on "TMA" fail to understand that connection to TMA, and disregard earlier knowledge instead of trying it for themselves--especially internal martial arts, which is a shame, because they can increase your situational awareness and general precision (among other things).
>>
I'm not sure what to make of the secret technique I was taught. I was sworn to secrecy, only select students are allowed to know it and it's only to be used when someone really needs to be taken out and quickly. I may be the first it was shown to, but I'm not more than the 3rd. I don't know for sure who knows about it.

part of me says it wouldn't work, but that's because I'm not good at the movements. but having been on the receiving end and knowing it was coming I still couldn't do anything about it.
hmm

It's just like my animes! forgive me sensei, but I have no choice.. I have to use it
FORBIDDEN TECHNIQUE
>>
File: mfw_clean_privilege.jpg (77KB, 384x356px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_clean_privilege.jpg
77KB, 384x356px
>Taekwondo dojang moves into a strip mall near my home street.
>Interior decorated with photographs of martial artists from any number of styles and some sports legends like Muhammad Ali
>Bizarre belt colors like indigo in their ranking system
>Advertisements in front window for birthday parties and after school pickup.

>leave for grad school; come back 3 years later
>Building is now labeled "Martial Arts" and MMA posters are in the windows
>Same dude's portrait on the front desk
>People inside are wearing doboks and drilling poomsae
>>
>>2882270

>Kyokushin is the least technical fighting I've ever seen.

This is so not true. You've never trained Kyokushin, right?

Kyokushin Kicks are very technical, the way they set them off and the actual kicks. People can snipe you off your feet by kicking exactly the grounded leg, people can kick you in the face from impossible angles. There are great combinations, there are so many fancy kicks. You might call them "flashy moves", but try to pull them off against someone fighting full contact against you. You need to be technically adapt to do so.

>>2885198

There's nothing wrong with the way they punch. Ever seen Bas Rutten's "liver punch"? Yeah.

Of course it's incomplete to not learn head punching, but it'S more of an add-on instead of doing things differently.

In the past there were Kyokushin guys without proper who fought good strikers. Guess what? they might got their nose broken, but they fought very strong and often won.

I'm not doing Kyokushin anymore, but the general principle is to strive after perfection. The majority of Kyokushin guys I met does cross train in something like Boxing, Kickboxing or Grappling. Let's not forget that the founder was pretty good with Judo himself.
>>
>>2899640

Yeah, the first time you train the Jab-Cross it can be pretty overwhelming..
>>
>>2899640
That's so faggy, on the internet you can find dozens of actually useful "forbidden techniques", if you ask yourself whether it works or not, it probably doesn't unless people let you do it
>>
>>2895792
Then why did martial artists drill wrestling as the sole form of combat when they lost their weapon? We don't breed soldiers on horseback anymore but we still wrestle.

http://www.thearma.org/essays/G&WinRF.htm#.VAO8Ddm9LCR
>>
>>2876377
TKD is a copy of karate, hapkido is a bad aikido (hapkido means aikido in Korean language), everything in Korea is a shit copy
>>
>>2899854
You can't do half that kyokushin shit when someone can just punch you in the face. If you can grapple the kyokushin guy is done for.
>>
>>2878585
Olimpics destroy every sport and combat they touch, even the wrestlers don't like
>>
>>2900257
which wrestlers hate the olympics, before MMA got big the Olympics was and still is the ultimate goal for a majority of elite wrestlers
>>
>>2900259
most if not all catch wrestlers hate the olympics since it bans their submissions
>>
>>2900262
what catch wrestlers? its a near extinct style and the few that are left are rather respectful of the other wrestler styles. I think you're making shit up.
>>
>>2886155
Maybe you know judo very well, but don't know anything about jiu, jiu jitsu today is a joke, a pale imitation from the glorious art from 20 years ago, much pano, help other arts but no identity to use alone, much floor game and no takedowns (how in the hell I fight in the ground if I don't takedown my opponent?) . Jiu-jítsu die before master Helio
>>
>>2900218
TMAutists are beyond saving, just ignore them.
>>
File: 2cemc8n.gif (4MB, 618x327px) Image search: [Google]
2cemc8n.gif
4MB, 618x327px
man the misinformation and bias against judo is mind blowing.

Wrestling coach/judo nidan here and i dont mind shooting some questions. The evolution of judo has been in a good spot for the last 5 years. specially with the leg ban. there are more suplexes and slams now in the meta. So a lot of wrestlers from Russia and Mongolia have adapted and adopted to the rules quite well

Also people tend to forget and think all wrestling is the same but technically there is no leg grabbing or submissions in greco but people dont give it them same level of disrespect toward judo. But then again i think people arent to clear about the rules of greco, free style, and folk
>>
File: 2016 olympic sutemi waza juji.webm (3MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
2016 olympic sutemi waza juji.webm
3MB, 350x196px
>>2900312
personally i like the sneaky belt grab, the throw use to need a leg grab but again through some modification grabbing the belt works just as well
>>
File: utsuri goshi.webm (1MB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
utsuri goshi.webm
1MB, 900x506px
>>2900315
>>
File: 1398621203819.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1398621203819.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>2900320
>>
>>2900323
>>
>>2893306
Wait, but why they teach só much martial arts for us in the army?

> I don't have any argument please stop punch my and post gifs

Ok kid, my bad for you
>>
>>2900346
I support the troops and all that but man the army combatives program is rather really really REALLY bad, your main weapon is your gun, and the basic hand to hand stuff is a quick crash course. you do have some people that go deeper and they do offer tournies which are just amature MMA events. but a lot of those guys wind up going into actual specialty schools to further their own skills and knowledge rather then just sticking with Army combatives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGSfXKRvQ60&t=1546s

https://youtu.be/jQify8hg8H0?t=10m59s
>>
>>2900312
>>2900315
Judo looks really strength and athleticism dependent. If you're not in the top 5% genetics wise (athletic genetics not IQ) BJJ is better since it's all technique.
>>
>>2900402
strength and athleticism helps but the core concept is a skill called kazushi or creating moments of off balance to use your opponent's weight and strength against them.

Saying BJJ is better cause its all technique is ignorant

Both styles are skill and timing intensive
>>
>>2900402
Bruh the clips you always see are pronably ususally at least national or international, of course at the upper level you've got these crazy motherfuckers who've either git dem good genes or that crazy dedication. Also, lifting and getting bigger is a thing, you know?
>>
>>2900248
I don't generally disagree, though I'd argue that hapkido as practiced today is much more comprehensive than most aikido instruction. Pretty much the only certain native martial arts to Korea are Ssrieum (folk wrestling) and Gungdo (archery) +/- taekkyon (but that's a debate in itself). Since the character is supposed to be Korean, however, I wanted to give him a Korean martial art and thought I could at least pick something decent with striking.

>>2900356

>camo keikogi

Cringe.

>>2900218

Probably helps that it's hard to do much striking if you're weighed down in armor and other equipment.
>>
>>2900629
thank obama for the camo gi shit
>>
can i use pro-wrestlng for self defense? has it ever been done before?
>>
So how hard is BJJ on your knees? I wanna take it but I'm a bit worried.
>>
>>2900775
Not hard if you're smart about it - which may take a while.
>>
>>2900767
Look up Sakuraba and Minowaman.
>>
>>2900839
fug
>>
>>2900312
>evolution a sport
> exclude effective techniques

My sides anon, go home play with other kids, this board is for man how wanna fight
>>
>>2900847
Sakuraba "the Gracie hunter ", this man is a legend
>>
>>2901306
same thing has happen with wrestling in terms of free style and greco both rules exclude techniques which is how the styles evolved the sports and added to the art

you can't grab legs in greco and greco evolved into mainly focusing on lifts.

you can't bear hug in folkstyle/freestyle which is why shooting singles and doubles became so popular
>>
>>2901334
you can't choke in sambo and people love sambo
>>
>>2900312
Judo's golden age was before World War 1. Kosen judo has essentially been extinguished. Long gone are the days when a competent judoka could face a man skilled in catch wrestling and defeat him soundly.
>>
>>2901399
dude do you even train?
>>
>>2900402
Judo was invented by a frail Japanese man who was too weak to throw anyone. His system was designed to negate the strength of your opponent. Granted, being strong while knowing judo is going to make your judo better but it is not the end all be all.
>>
>>2901403
Literally read >>2896699

It's just a long winded history of what I've said.
>>
>>2901410
do you train? how long and what rank? nice youtubes
>>
>>2901413
literally read >>2896699

It's just a long winded history of what I've said.
>>
>>2900300
we've already determined TMA doesn't exist
you're fake news, faggot
>>
>>2899801
>>Building is now labeled "Martial Arts" and MMA posters are in the windows

>A McDojo have picked up a new tag to attract gullible customers. More news at 11:00pm.

I was about to post a slowpoke pic, I hope you get the point.
>>
>>2901814
MMA is going to fall way harder than karate ever did because there isn't even a lineage or ranking system you could call a bullshit artist out on.

There is such a thing as a fake black belt, a fake karate master, there is no such thing as a fake mma coach
>>
weigh in guy here

weigh in is tomorrow and I'm .5 pounds over

WE DID IT REDDIT!
>>
>>2901824
Well Judo/Jujitsu have belts and Boxing coaches are judged by who they have trained.
>>
>>2893108
Your first and second points are nonsense that I have already argued against. You have not provided any new insight or argument.

Your third point is ridiculous on several grounds. First, you are insinuating peasants, such as merchants, farmers, and fishermen, are better at fighting than professional soldiers. Today a civilian might easily be a better fighter because even with a full time job, you still have ~8 hours to fuck around however you want. In the thirteenth century, peasants had time to work, eat, shit, and sleep.

Second, you neglect that the chinese had overwhelming numbers, were on their home territory, and were logistcally better off. Even with an inferior strategy, they still should have won.

Third, the poor performance in troop battle is absolutely linked to their martial arts through the common culture. The chinese (then, and even many today) relied on few select ontologies and tried to extrapolate their understandings and approach to things based off these. The problem is they were wrong, and we all know a garbage premise almost always results in a garbage outcome. The chinese were not ready to face a hardend force of fewer numbers because their own training, approach to life, and martial arts failed to prepare them.

It is astounding how sure of yourself you are when your ignorance is this obvious. You have proclaimed yourself the defender of a culture that you do not understand and quite frankly hates you. Why dont you take up Magic The Gathering with the other white nerds?
>>
>>2887386

Pros:
Horizontal movement like a motherfucker

Cons:
Slow ass back and forth movement
>>
>>2891653
>In a real Muay Thai match at least one combatant dies
>>
>>2892767
>we have a resident autist. Is easy to spot him:
You've learned nothing. Still ignorant and delusional as ever.
>>
>>2892767
>There's the chance there's more than one guy using the same shitposting tactics
There's definitely more than one guy, you newfag.
>>
>>2902212
>>2902216
>two posts within a minute of each other bringing up some random argument from two days ago

*thonking*
>>
>>2884369
Now, that is the kind of training I like!
No bullshit, just the fist and the right way to hit.
>>
File: 1468030300888.jpg (187KB, 532x783px) Image search: [Google]
1468030300888.jpg
187KB, 532x783px
>>2902356
>tfw too many mosquitoes where you live to train outside
>>
File: Submission Master 1.webm (3MB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
Submission Master 1.webm
3MB, 640x496px
>>2891452
>>2891457
>>2891466
>>2891471
>>2891473
I've got the Fujiwara Submission Master tapes, if you want anything .webm'd from that.

It's all in Japanese though, aside from one tape which is of an American seminar that Fujiwara did. No subtitles.
>>
>>2902398
>Those pants
l-lewd...
>>
File: Submission Master 1.webm (3MB, 484x366px) Image search: [Google]
Submission Master 1.webm
3MB, 484x366px
>>2902405
I've only skimmed through the tapes, but they seem to be half brutal catch wrestling subs and half old school Karl Gotch strength training/conditioning.

The latter can look...questionable without context, especially since there's no subtitles. There's more than enough "grappling is gay" jokes as is.
>>
>>2902398
>I've got the Fujiwara Submission Master tapes
Any chance of a full upload somewhere? Would love to watch all of it.
>>
>>2902493
I got it from one of many Russian torrenting sites.

If you're not into torrenting, I could put it in a MEGA or some other upload site.
>>
File: waki gatame set up 3.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame set up 3.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>2902398
that be great
>>
File: waki gatame set up 4.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame set up 4.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>2902555
>>
File: waki gatame set up 5.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
waki gatame set up 5.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>2902646
>>
File: Submission Master 2.webm (3MB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
Submission Master 2.webm
3MB, 720x544px
>tap a guy out by nuzzling him with your chin
Some of the moves can look funny as well.

>>2902555
Okay, but my connection isn't that great, so it might take me awhile.

I might just upload the seminar first since that one's shorter and in English, just so you can get an idea.
>>
>>2902527
Link me to the torrent if it's still seeded.
>>
>>2902691
>Some of the moves can look funny as well.
That's catch wrestling for you. Carny as fuck, but awesome.
>>
>>2902380
Just use them as more training and puch them out of the air.
>>
>>2875168
Is practicing in two different gyms worth it? I'm training MMA three times a week, but I'm considering adding two more weekly hours in a BJJ gym because I want to improve my bjj specifically while not neglecting my MMA
>>
>>2900256

>You can't do half that kyokushin shit when someone can just punch you in the face.

You have a couple of fallacies here..

1) Kyokushin fighters have a very solid defense. Drop your hands at the wrong time and you get a lighting fast kick in the face, resulting in immediate KO. A lot of tactics in Kyokushin are about infight (body blows or low kicks) vs. outfight (high kicks), similar to boxing.

2) Kyokushin has incredibly body hardening, so if you fight a kyokushin guy, there's no chance you can bring him down with a lowkick or even a bare knuckle punch to the body. This makes it much easier to defend your head, since you (more or less) don't have to worry about about defending the rest.

3) Kyokushin is all about offense. You have very litte time and go all out, it' not like MuayThai or Kickboxing where you can get away with spamming low intesity kicks and win by points. You usually tank in with berzerker rage. Your opponent has to be tought dude to not get overwhelmed by this.

4) And you also learn to withstand pressure in close distance very good. You learn to take hits and still "walk the distance". Kyokushin makes you veyr stong psychologically (boxers would call that "heart") and that help a lot in any kind of fight.

But I don't assume you will be bold enough to walk into a kyokushin dojo and try it yourself. It's much more conveinent to talk trash on the internet instead of seeing with your own eyes.

>>2900402

In Judo you need less athleticism than in wrestling. Maybe a little bit more than in BJJ, but not really.

If you want to win at tournaments, it's a differnt story. But that's the same for BJJ:
If you look at the top BJJ guys they are ripped and flexible. Muscles ALWAYS help, it's not an "either/or" decision, it's a "use whatever you can" decision.

>>2901399

This is just not true. Judo has develloped so much. Unlike in Kosen there are new throws, better combinations, many differnt "tactical" schools and great learning methods.
>>
>>2903172
Judo as a sport has definitely gotten way more advanced. Things like the elaborate grip fighting didn't exist. but I feel pre WWII judo put alot more emphasis on the stuff outside randori. For instance Mifune is described as fighting a number of street thugs using a combination of throws and atemi. You dont have to search hard to find second generation Judoka lamenting the rise of "jacket wresting"
>>
>>2901921
Let me know your results
>>
>>2899359
>>2899452
Not gonna argue that drug's aren't "bad m'kay".
But humanity does have a long history of performance enhancement.
>Performance enhancing drugs have been used since prehistory. Ancient neanderthal burials all contain ephedra plants, which were used by that species for unknown purposes, though it is considered to be a PED. Given the fact that neanderthals were well known for their slaughter of megafauna, it's not outside of the boundaries of consideration to think they used ephedra as a performance enhancing drug to aid in that pursuit (LoPorto). And it's not just the neanderthals who have used PEDS- the ancient Greeks were well known for using any means they could to gain an advantage on their opponents, and not only was that expected, but it was appreciated, provided they didn't get caught (Bowers). The Roman gladiators doped to get through fights, and nineteenth century French cyclists and lacrosse players used a combination of wine and coca leaves, called "Vin Mariani", aka "wine for athletes," to gain an edge on their competition (Murray).
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2015/04/natty-or-not-not-that-anyone-should.html
>http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/view.timeline.php?timelineID=000017
And coffee does have health benefits
>https://www.chaosandpain.com/tips/5-amazing-things-about-caffeine-that-you-didnt-know/
>https://authoritynutrition.com/top-13-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coffee/
>https://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coffee-good-for-you/
>>
>>2875161
can we get some outrage over the team change in the 4cc? they even took away bruces medal
>>
Why do people lie on the internet about their martial arts credentials? Visiting another forum, I saw someone claim to be a D1 wrestler who is 6'5 285 pounds who does catch wrestling. He also taps out black belts in BJJ during trial classes and they're so scared of him that they don't invite him back. Oh and he's making 100k a year in a finance job. Why do people need to lie on the internet to perfect strangers and give shit advice to further their own ego?
>>
>>2885581
Cauliflower ear to the max..
>>
File: internet_armchair_general.jpg (37KB, 346x411px) Image search: [Google]
internet_armchair_general.jpg
37KB, 346x411px
>>2903728
It's the 20-sided-dice-rolling fa/tg/uy in all of us.
>>
>>2903728
How do you know he's lying? Maybe he's just perfect.
>>
File: 1395872219966.gif (2MB, 211x158px) Image search: [Google]
1395872219966.gif
2MB, 211x158px
>>2899074
Start to put some pressure. You should be able to strangle them from side, mount and back for a starter.
Then from KOB and from NS.
>>
File: 1457662374104.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457662374104.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2900257
This so much...
Look at Judo.
>>2900259
You're too young to remember double wristlock in wrestling differently than kimura, so take it easy.
>>2900262
This again.
>>2900275
CACC, near extinct...
Where does the vapouriser, no gi baseball bat choke and numerous other techniques come from ...
>>2900312
Yeah... get supplex in banning Te Guruma... great for TV, shit for technique.
You're a nidan, so you did learn and drill banned techniques. I sparred 2 months ago a brown belt that never go teguruma'd... or single legged.
The reason greco doesn't get the same level of disrespect is because it is a sub division of wrestling, like ne-waza competition are, at a much lower level though.
P.s.I'm a judo white belt.

>>2900346
Because you think you're proefficient with what they teach you in the army?
Unless you're in a SOF unit, it is just a big joke. Any one your size and weight, training consistently in boxing would ko you after a year of your "army combative"
In modern armies close combat is used more as a way to toughen people more than really teaching them martial arts.
Don't start with KM, because it is 95% kick-boxing in Israel.
>>2900432
kuzushi
>>2900847
It is CACC, not pro-wreslting.

>>2901338
You can choke in combat sambo.
>>
>>2904191
>In fact, professional wrestling is strong.
-Kazushi Sakuraba
>>
>>2904078
I don't know for sure but I tend to be skeptical about those kind of claims. He could win ADCC with his pedigree if he was so gifted.
>>
>>2903728
Take this to a psychology thread in /sci/ or something.
>>
>>2891884
>>2892767
It doesn't matter if you call them autists, they're not wrong.
>>
>>2904364
It doesn't matter if you insist they're right, they're autists.
>>
>>2902493
Here's the Fujiwara English seminar.

I'll get around to uploading the tapes proper in a couple of days.

https://mega.nz/#!gqoXESoY!ehInvCJ5XTAOBR6z5idM0OBmudKe3fZkSmr6QR81Z-o
>>
>>2903716
We can only shitpost in every 4chan cup thread outside /asp/ about how that is not /asp/'s team
>>
>>2904684
Thanks, bruh.
>>
>>2904684
Thanks got the complete tape now
you dont have to make webms
>>
>>2892767
>>2904425
You're an autist.
>>
>>2892767
I'm insulted that you would even consider the possibility that I would post some of the bullshit that those other fuckers are posting, but It's okay, it's not your fault, you were just born stupid.
>>
>>2905464
like anyone cares that some faggot got offended on the internet
>>
>>2900275

As a catch wrestling practitioner I agree with this statement.
>>
whats a good martial art for a tall lanklet such as myself?
>>
>>2906415
Goju-ryu: The strongest martial art.
>>
>>2906415
>>2906420
No matter what your body type, the answer is always goju.
>>
What's the best way to defend against knees? Especially if your opponent is taller than you
>>
>>2906608
A gun.
>>
>>2906608
Non-clinch knees?

>use footwork to get out of knee range and into kicking range
>while
>throwing kick to the supporting leg
>>
What muscles are used in a punch?
>>
>>2903728
Link? Or point in the general direction? I'd like to read this shit.
>>
>>2907058
Depends on which punch.
>>
>>2903728
To show that it doesn't matter if I say I have 400,200,000 years of experience in this martial art, and 5,555 hours of experience in this martial art, if what I say is bullshit, it's bullshit no matter how many years of experience I have in whatever the fuck.
>>
>>2907058
Hand's muscles + arm's ligaments
>>
>>2907305
What about the core meme and the leg meme
>>
>>2907058
Penis muscles.
>>
>>2904684
Much obliged, looking forward to the tapes to further troll my BJJ teammates with submission that leave them wondering what happened.
>>
File: 2017-07-22 20.43.20.jpg (350KB, 530x945px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-22 20.43.20.jpg
350KB, 530x945px
Weight cut guy here. After a day of hard battles and over an hour of total mat time, I achieved 7 victories and got a somewhat controversial silver medal.

They messed up the finals bracket and put the wrong person against me. Afterwards instead of making a stink over it I just conceded the bout and let the other guy have gold, and I took silver. I didn't want to throw down again honestly.

I'd also like to thank my opponents and their teams for all being classy and respectful the entire day, except for that one guy that kept spearing people at the knees and pushing them out of bounds on purpose (you know who you are)
>>
>>2875168
Hey guys, I've got two questions.
One, Should Muay thai-Judo-BJJ be a good combination for MMA?
Two, I'm looking to buy some MMA gloves, Should I get some with the thumb being covered or just the fingers? does it even make a difference?
>>
File: thumbs-up-haruhi.jpg (52KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs-up-haruhi.jpg
52KB, 853x480px
>>2908362
Any video?

C'mon, don't tell me in this age nobody brought a cell phone to record at least one of your fights.
>>
>>2908431
is there video of my fights?
yes, all of them
do I have the video of my fights?
no, because nobody from my team was there, so all the video belongs to my opponents
>>
>>2908369
Modern MMA is much more than that insignificant combination.
>>
>>2908369
Lose the judo, add wrestling and boxing. Those four martial arts are quite frankly the only real styles that are battle-tested and proven to actually work. Anything else is pure bullshido weeaboo crap that will get your ass kicked against a trained opponent or just a nigger who has killer instinct.

Like most stuff in life, if it wasn't created or substantially developed by white people it doesn't have much objective merit.
>>
>>2908720
>falseflagging /pol/ fags
I recognize you shitposter.
>>
Expertboxing a good resource?
>>
>>2908362
congrats how did you win your 7? and hows your body holding up afterwards?
>>
>>2908369

>Should Muay thai-Judo-BJJ be a good combination for MMA?

It will be pretty difficult to start with three sports at the same time. Mentally it messes with your head, physically you will either train sub par in each sport or will burn out after a few weeks.

My advise would be to start with one thing at a time. Many MuayThai or BJJ clubs offer explicit MMA classes, so maybe invest half a year into a sport until you get the fundamentals and take some additionally MMA classes. And then start with the "missing part".

Good stating combinations are:

1) MuayThai + BJJ:
The "classic" MMA combination. MuayThai covers everything from kicking to the clinch and simple takedowns, then BJJ takes over.
>Power-up: training in Wrestling or Judo for better takedowns and top control

2) Judo + Boxing
Nice combination. Speed is the name of the game in both disciplines, you can deliver nasty knockouts, combinations and set up your throws. From the infight distance Judo takes over. For MMA you need to add at least basic kicking defense at some point, but you'll get there fast.
>Power-up: Training in Kyokushin, TKD or MuayThai to get amazing kicks

3) Wrestling + Kickboxing
Plain and simple combinations, versatile and brute-force.
>Power-up: Training in BJJ for adding more defensive ground fighting

4) Kyokushin + Judo
Ultimate Weeaboo combination. Training in Boxing is highly recommended though.

5) Catch wrestling + Savate
Yeah, you're such a special snowflake..
>>
>>2909147
this was a submission only format, I won one match with a basic as fuck kimora trap from half guard, he rolled and I transitioned into an americana.
all the other ones I won with various chokes, I really mixed it up, never had the same finish twice.
I felt bad after one because I was on someones back and got him belly down with hooks in and was really blading my hand under the chin and cranking the shit out of it while pressuring down on his lower back with my hips, he was turning into a tomato and wheezing like a stuck pig. he fought valiantly but eventually succumbed to his destiny, the position was too powerful. I didn't feel good about myself after that one actually, it seemed like an excessive amount of violence in pursuit of a useless trinket.

as for me, I'm fucked up. I have a nice cut on the bridge of my nose extending down the side to my cheek from an elbow, a little bit of a black eye. I think I tore my bicep from riding an arm bar out into the danger zone so that arm doesn't extend all the way today, my shoulder is clicking and feels like its loosely grinding so I think it might be slightly separated, my neck is totally locked up and I have a numb tingle going down my arm when I move it, my knee got popped backwards a few times so its sore but manageable, and one of my big toes, I don't think it's broken but its bright red all the way down to the base knuckle (do toes have knuckles?) and I can't bend it
I was in so much pain last night I couldn't sleep, I found myself at 5 am sitting on the couch in a dark room eating icecream and popping aspirin and a little bit of rum just to take the edge off
>>
>>2910339
>so maybe invest half a year into a sport until you get the fundamentals and take some additionally MMA classes. And then start with the "missing part".
That still leaves you with the missing part of the basics and intermediate parts of learning how to mix grappling and striking.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qflIr2oOpf4

>Current Year

>Not training superior ancient Korean Kickboxing
>>
>>2912217
>ironic current year meme
You faggots do understand that martial are constantly changing and improving right? The older stuff is outdated crap that sucks just like hygienic practices. Everybody smelled like shit. Everybody had skin diseases. Everybody lost all their teeth. Everybody died early.
>>
>>2913912
look at this guy thinking hobbyists playing sports are better at unarmed combat than people who actually participated in it

you think the guys in the hema thread would beat an actual swordsman from the 1400s too?
>>
>>2906420
Or kyokushin its angry little brother

Seriously though, I don't get why kyo is getting shat on in this thread its not exactly a pansy MA and has a a lot of real life application both mind and fighting wise
>>
>>2915654
because it has no technique, its just about absorbing body shots, not protecting your head, standing unrealistically close, and trying to set up big stupid jumping wheel kicks. It's a victim of its rules. it's less realistic than point fighting
>>
File: why I fucking know.jpg (17KB, 320x569px) Image search: [Google]
why I fucking know.jpg
17KB, 320x569px
>>2915934

> Kyo
> not defending the head
> no technique

riiiiiiiggghhhhhhht..... and I fucked bigfoot once

a lot of the endless body shots in tourneys are to set up a kick to the head because it draws the guard down closer to their ribs... then BAM head meets shin or heel. The kicking game in kyo is pretty technical really, there are so many variants to just the roundhouse kick and the straight kick its ridiculous plus you have to set up a combo that puts you in prime position to execute it so its not all a slug fest.
Kyokushin is useful in real world applications both as self defence and as a mental part.

Some people assume that all kyo training is tourney and kata based so they don't teach punches to the head... this is totally wrong, kyo trains a lot of punches/strikes to the head and face... jabs, hooks, back knuckle strikes, reverse punches, elbows, palm strikes, strikes to the throat, attacking the eyes... the list of strikes that kyokushin karateka have drilled endlessly from day motherfucking one ( eyes and throat are advanced moves) even the "useless" katas are a workout.

I do agree with disliking people spamming the cartwheel kick in tourneys though, even though its meant as a surprise move... sure attempt it here and there but don't spam it during a single fight its a waste of energy.
>>
so my sensei from my traditional system got mad when I took more time learning brazilian jujutsu and muay thai and not calling him about my schedule. Am I in the wrong? I've been getting my ass kicked while learning traditional stuff, but I've been able to win more often with bjj.
>>
>>2916865
What traditional style do you do?
>>
>>2907359
It's not a meme. Your momentum for a right cross (for example) should start by turning your right leg and hip forward, then rolling your right shoulder in, then finally extending your arm muscles, tightening your fist at the very last second before impact.
>>
>>2915934

>it's less realistic than point fighting

Ahaha..

Yes, it's totally worthless to get pushed at your mental and physical limits each training lesson. It has no application to have an amazing defense that is solid enough to stop baseball-bat like kicks. It's useless to nullify punches to the body by conditioning. And of course every joker on the street can withstand a full force lowkick or bare knuckle punch to the belly..

Personally I think that every Kyokshin guy should learn some additional boxing, but Kyokushin fighters are animals.
>>
>>2917103
Any idiot can stand still and "condition" but that's not developing skill just like how bicep curls don't make you better at your jab-cross. People who lift weights all day aren't good martial artists because there're not practicing martial arts.
>>
>>2917301
Go to a kyo dojo and challenge a black belt to a fight, see how well that goes...

Do you even practice a martial art?
>>
File: 1500787062798.jpg (50KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
1500787062798.jpg
50KB, 324x324px
>>2876377
Piss off weeb
>>
>>2918311
>every one of those kyokushin vs [ ] online where the fight ends because the kyo got hit with a straight jab and doubled over over
>>
>>2918311
To a real fight or a game of "no punches to the face please thank you and no clinch when you knee and no takedowns and no submissions kk"
>>
>>2916615
>>2917103

I have to ask, in a honest to God way, what exactly puts apart kyokushin conditioning from any other martial art?

I mean, I trained in a kung fu gym (no, keep reading) that basically was sanda/kickboxing full contact, but had to put the words kung fu on the front because your average normalfag can't differentiate between goju ryu and jiu jutsu or savate.

Point is, in this place we used to do different types of conditioning to get used to be hit on the body and legs. So, with minimal to no protection, we would take turns to hit each other, trying to find the point when the other guy could take it without injury. Then, hit a bit harder than that. Obviously, the instructor would tell us the best way to protect from those attacks, either by deflecting or blocking with the stronger parts of the body.

Something similar to this:

https://youtu.be/ud8hoDuF660

So, what exactly kyokushin does that's different from this?

If memes are truth, muay thai guys hit themselves with batons and kick palm trees, so that's too.
>>
>>2918998
>https://youtu.be/ud8hoDuF660
>look at that fat guy's legs
>compare it to the skinny guy's legs
>look at my legs
>my legs are tiny
>>
>>2918998
>what exactly kyokushin does that's different from this?
mostly stupidity, thinking you can toughen soft tissue by hitting it repeatedly. Meanwhile everyone else only conditions hardened bony surfaces, the ones that actually do get harder and stronger the more you condition them.
>>
>>2920761
Pain tolerance is good to have.
>>
new thread >>2921142
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.