[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 64

File: 1495319028790.jpg (79KB, 640x661px) Image search: [Google]
1495319028790.jpg
79KB, 640x661px
Anime fish edition
old thread:
>>2446035 (Cross-thread)

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.
Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.
Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:

-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them
Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
Discord:
>http://discord.gg/NkUApvw
>>
Does petsmart always keep their poor betta fish in those tiny cups 24/7? Do they ever put them in a big tank to get exercise? Seems like animal abuse.
>>
>>2457049
Last thread
>>2451456
>>
>>2457072
Fish aren't conscious
>>
>>2457072
no, why the fuck would they do that?
>>
File: IMG_1796.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1796.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone know what type of coral this is? Got it for free from my lfs and they didn't know. Accidentally posted in the old thread also
>>
>>2457106
Kinda reminds me of some type of brain coral frag, but I can't tell if I'm mistaking the colors for ridges.
>>
>>2457106
Looks like a chalice to me
>>
I asked in the last thread, but for a small 13L tank with plants is cycling even possible or necessary?
I've read really mixed info online ranging from people saying you can't/shouldn't cycle a small tank to people saying it will cycle even faster?

also people saying 50% water changes twice weekly
wouldn't that be really hard on the fish?
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
>>2457451
Btw Is this too heavily planted?
I imagine fish could easily swim within the plants as well
Also it's not really visible here but there is a small cave/crevasse in the center a fish or shrimp could hide in

I have caught two snails in my tank so that means there are likely more which is a bummer
I checked the plants carefully but they snuck in somehow
I just snatch them out when I can
>>
File: IMG_3223.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3223.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2457561
>>
>>2457451
For a tank like this, there are three schools of thought:
1. the Walstad method
2. the good ol' filter and cycling method
3. the "lol who cares, it's just a fishbowl do nothing" method

The only reason you are getting mixed info is because people are talking about different methods.
>>
>>2457099
So you think it's fine to keep them in tiny 8 ounce cups of water?
>>
>>2457562
>>2457561
>>2457451

just put fish in it and do frequent 20-30% water changes. water changes are much less stressful than stewing in ammonia

if your fish don't clamp their fins, hide, sit on the bottom, display unusual aggression, breathe very heavily, ignore food, appear to panic and dart, discolor, or suffer from fin rot then they are probably not suffering, no matter how much some retard insists that you're torturing them
>>
>>2457682
no one thinks it's fine

go protest or something, shitting this place up with your awful posts isn't going to do anything
>>
>>2457451
I've got a tank that size, heavily planted, with shrimp and some micro rasboras. It's running perfectly.

a) You have to cycle. I cycled with fish food and a bunch of snails, took me a few weeks. I had some ammonia and nitrite readings that were off the charts so if I'd had fish in there at that point, they'd have died for sure.

b) I do 20-30% water changes twice weekly and the fish are happy. Don't do more than that at a time.
>>
File: FishTricks3.jpg (38KB, 450x269px) Image search: [Google]
FishTricks3.jpg
38KB, 450x269px
/aq/, just how intelligent are fish really?

I wanted to see if I can perform Pavlovian conditioning on my fish, so I started switching off the filter stream before every feed as well as feeding them in one specific area of the tank. A short while later, they all started crowding in that area every time I switched the filter off. It's pretty cool and makes feeding so much easier.
>>
>>2457714
I'm going to try that. Sounds like a good idea. I hate it when i put food in and half of it gets scattered into the tank before they even start eating and ends up on the bottom of the tank.
>>
File: Flower Horn Fish 3.jpg (96KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
Flower Horn Fish 3.jpg
96KB, 640x462px
>>2457714
>tfw to intelligent for pavlovian conditioning
>>
>>2457742
It has helped me massively. This way they eat up 99% of the food and I can just scoop out any bits that they don't eat because there isn't even any time for the food to soak up water before they're done eating.
>>
>>2457751
is this a tumor?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (79KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
79KB, 1280x720px
>>2457786
the einstein of the fish world
>>
>>2457742
in my case it ends up in filter
so i switch off filter sometimes for feeding
>>
>>2457751
>>2457788
What fish is as intelligent, friendly and beautiful as the Flowerhorn but doesn't have an ugly tumor like that?
>>
>>2457798
oscars
>>
>>2457798
Pretty much any of them, flowerhorns aren't any smarter than something like an oscar.
>>
>>2457799
>>2457800
I asked for a fish that's also friendly, pals.
>>
File: Void.png (918KB, 940x1175px) Image search: [Google]
Void.png
918KB, 940x1175px
>>2457751
>>2457788
I want to sacrifice all my friends to this fish.
>>
>>2457807
I have a perfect fish in mind (and in my living room) but it's pretty uncommon in aquaria and I don't want the owners club to grow any larger

shop around for a nice friendly betta!
>>
>>2457814
>I have a perfect fish in mind (and in my living room) but it's pretty uncommon in aquaria and I don't want the owners club to grow any larger
Is this the fishkeeper's equivalent of saying "I do have a girlfriend! she just lives in another state..." ?
>>
File: 20170816_151521.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_151521.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Brother caught some River fish. Does anyone know what these are? It's told him they'd get why too big but he really want them. Going to keep them until they get too big I guess.
>>
File: 20170816_151050.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_151050.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2457824
Another pic
>>
>>2457807
>>2457807
Flowerhorns are aggressive af, mate.
Some relatively peaceful cichlids are festivums or maybe peacock cichlids.

If you're just looking for pretty and personable fish in general, there's thousands. No one can guess your personal tastes for color and shape.
>>
>>2457798
Angelfish, firemouth cichlids, and many gourami such as leopard Ctenopoma are all fairly peaceful and have otherwise similar dispositions to flowerhorns.
>>
>>2457827
Maybe trout fry?
>>
>>2457714
Gonna do this.
>>
File: 20051107092149.jpg (161KB, 634x387px) Image search: [Google]
20051107092149.jpg
161KB, 634x387px
>>2457827
Looks like Gambusia (mosquitofish). They stay pretty small (<2") and are livebearers. Super easy to breed.
>>
Anyone keep paradise fish? If I get one as a centerpiece do they get along with other fish?
Its a 10g so Im sure I could do that and some corys, but are there any other options?
>>
File: 20170816_132119.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170816_132119.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2457997
Nice! What tank size should I have for them? There are three 1"-2" and 2 tiny ones less than an inch. I'm going to set up a nice little tank for my brother with these guys, but don't want to give him something too big. He's young and I know he'll slack on maintainance, so something small would be good for me to just stop by and do quick maintainance on it.
He wanted it in a jararium, but I'm thinking it's way too small. This is the jar, where they are currently.
>>
Right so starting to cycle a 10g
going with the fish food method since I have extra stuff on hand

about how much are we talking here? it says a pinch a day, but I imagine that enough people have done this with a 10g to have a general estimate of how many days a pinch a day is.

I'll probably bring in a water sample to test at the petco I work at every day or every other day.
>>
Last month I left my female Endler in the breeder box with her fry and she ate all of them. I put her in the box 2 days ago, but she must have jumped out into the main aquarium when I wasn't looking because she was not in it today. But I did see some fry swimming in the big tank, so I caught them and put them into the breeder. I have 9 of them some far.
>>
>>2457714
Same thing happens to me.
>>
>>2458087
I wouldn't put too much effort into saving fry. You'll soon have waaaaay too many.
>>
>>2457562
No, that is not too heavily planted.

>>2457451
>>2457603
Basically this. There isn't really a tank too small to be cycled. Being "cycled" just means you have a bacteria colony that converts ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate that is large enough to support your entire tank's bioload.

Last I checked, bacteria are way smaller than your fish. So if your fish can fit in the tank, so can the bacteria (assuming you have some sort of media for it to attach to with adequate flow).
>>
>gone around to all the fish stores I know of in my area
>none of them sell ammonia test kits
the perils of living in a 3rd world country
is there any way I can guess the ammonia levels? or compensate for them without knowing what they are?

I imagine if I do regular water changes after waiting a few weeks to put my fish in things should be alright.
>>
>>2458108
Yes. Joey cycles and monitors his tanks based on smell and how the fish are doing/reacting because he's colorblind. He cannot judge the vast majority of test results for shit.

And he's confident enough with these results to keep rays.

One really big clue is smell. If your tank REALLY smells up the room, you're approaching the halfway mark. One it goes from really stinky to barely any smell, you're in the home stretch.

This assumes a constant ammonia source, e.g. you dose a tiny bit every day.

I imagine you don't have pure ammonia and will be doing the flake method which requires a bit extra lead in time due to the flakes needing to decay.
>>
>>2458117
dam I hope it doesn't stink too bad, its right in my bedroom
with the lid closed it should be better
>>
>>2458012
Yeah, that jar won't do for anything that's not a shrimp, I'm afraid.
Minimum 5g, if you wanna be really tight about it, but 10g would be perfect. After all there's not much of a big price difference between 5 and 10 gallons, if money's an issue.
>>
>>2458117
>Yes. Joey cycles and monitors his tanks based on smell and how the fish are doing/reacting because he's colorblind. He cannot judge the vast majority of test results for shit.
That's true, but don't get too cocky. Not only does the guy have years of experience, but he also has a virtually unlimited source of established bacteria colonies to use and reuse again in all his tanks. He pretty much never cycles a new tank because he already has tons of cycled water ready to house fish in at any time. But you are otherwise right, it can be done by almost guessing.

>>2458108
Ammonia is the least useful test. Get a nitrites test instead; knowing exactly where your nitrites are you can pretty much be sure of where your ammonia and nitrates are as well.
>>
Can I use sand from home depot as substrate?
Sand at pet stores is so expensive and looks exactly the same.
>>
>>2458182
Sure, just read the bag so you know it doesn't have any artificial coloring/chemicals/whatever that could harm your water parameters and fish. Also, wash it at least twice as much as you would wash normal aquarium substrate before using it, just to be sure.
>>
>>2458183
This is actually my first aquarium.
I posted in the last thread about starting a 10 gallon, but said fuck it and decided to turn a 40 I used to have a snake in for its intended purpose.
>>
>>2458190
If you are unsure about using sand, you could use gravel from home depot instead, which will probably be less of an issue. Put the gravel in a bucket and wash it with high-pressure water. Keep the water running until shit stops floating in the surface and the water is not cloudy/dirty anymore. If you want to be even more thorough about it, you can pour some boiling water over your gravel, but that's probably not necessary if it's brand new and not taken from your yard.
>>
>>2458155
I asked for nitrite/ammonia/nitrate tests, couldn't find any anywhere.
it makes it worse that no one speaks English and my language skills are limited

but I'm assuming if I let it sit long enough eventually I can put fish in and have it be alright
can just do frequent water changes to compensate
the number of plants I have should compensate a bit
>>
>>2458220
Really? What kind of LFS doesn't have even a simple nitrite test strip? Can't you at least order online?

>but I'm assuming if I let it sit long enough eventually I can put fish in and have it be alright
Sure, it can be done if you know what to smell/look for.
>can just do frequent water changes to compensate
No, don't do that until you have a stable bacteria colony in your filter media, or else you'll risk destroying the cycle every time you do a water change.

By the way, if you can't even get your hands on a simple water test, can I assume that it means you can't find any water conditioner either? If so, you got a huge problem. You need to get that water dechlorinated or else no beneficial bacteria is going to grow and your future fish will die within hours because of the chlorine and chlorides.
>>
File: my meme tanks.jpg (181KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
my meme tanks.jpg
181KB, 1440x810px
How much have you spent on this meme ass hobby, /an/?

>probably 1500$+ for me
>>
>>2458236
no fish?
>>
>>2458238
soonâ„¢

I haven't decide the stocking yet, i'll just get some shrimps for now
>>
>>2458226
>What kind of LFS doesn't have even a simple nitrite test strip?
like I said this isn't a developed country, I think most people don't care about cycling
>>
>>2458283
Yeah but how are fish shops surviving then? They are basically selling dead fish.
Unless you people eat your aquarium fish or something.
>>
>>2458285
>They are basically selling dead fish
they do lol
idk honestly
my language skills are very limited so maybe I asked wrong
>>
can I use betta pellets to cycle my tank?
that's all I have

I worry though about leaving a bunch of rotting food on the bottom of my tank
I've got like a carpet of plants so vacuuming would be difficult
>>
>>2458302
>can I use betta pellets to cycle my tank?
Yes.

>I've got like a carpet of plants so vacuuming would be difficult
Put the food in some sort of DIY container with holes and suspend it in the water.
>>
>>2458308
a plastic cup would be fine right? no worry of leeching into the water?
>>
>>2458310
Yeah I suppose, if it's a clear, translucent one.Colored ones might have their paint wear in the water.
>>
>>2457785
>>2457714
I tried this. My neon tetras smell the food, but just swim around in the middle of the tank like a bunch of tards. They're so used to it being scattered about and eating from mid level that they don't realize it's all on the surface when i turn off the filter and air pump.
>>
I want a goldfish. Is a 30-gal tank and a canister filter rated for 80 gal sufficient, or is the tank too small?
>>
can 200 smallbois make up for the loss of 1 bigboi?
>>
>>2458389
It's been a while since I last saw him this happy tbqh.
Good for him.
>>
>>2458236
My turtle/pleco/minnow setup is almost at $1k now.
>>
>>2458425
>>2458385
/aq/ will meme you into thinking that you need 100gal for a goldfish, but 30 gal is absolutely fine.

>>2458381
Just keep at it! They will learn at some point. It takes long to break habits.
>>
>>2458195
I'm planning on getting cories, so sand would be better.
>>
>>2458236
Like $50-60. A lot of my stuff was gifted
>>
File: _Male_Gigolo_1999_7[1].jpg (337KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
_Male_Gigolo_1999_7[1].jpg
337KB, 1000x563px
Hi /an/, I want to get some fish.
How accurate is this movie with Fish.
I want to live a life with fish like this movie is with fish.
If not I wont buy the fish for the fish life.
I like fish but not that much where I will get fish if they dont make life awesome.
>>
>>2458504
Dude fish suck. They are Decorations that require shittons of time and money and then die for no reason. But I still keep them.
>>
>>2458236
Like $375 for a used 90 gal setup and another filter.
The on going costs are way more
>>
File: 20170817_163122~01.jpg (1MB, 2507x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_163122~01.jpg
1MB, 2507x4032px
>>2458151
Working on the 10g for my brother. This is the jar they are currently in. Using a powerhead with some sponge stuffed in the in/out to slow the flow and an airpump hooked up to it. Don't have a heater, feel like it would clutter it even more. Can I use one of those reptile heating pads? How would I set it up to turn off when the water is at a certain temp?
>>
File: 20170817_160029~01.jpg (2MB, 3024x3933px) Image search: [Google]
20170817_160029~01.jpg
2MB, 3024x3933px
>>2458589
Here is a fry chilling. Used sand from main tank and there are tons of nematodes so he is fattening up nicely.
>>
http://www.didigames.com/bratz-babyz-fish-tank.html
an /aq/ themed game I think you guys will love :-)
>>
>>2458513
How much time do you put into fish keeping every week?
>>
>>2458504
I haven't seen that movie.

Schooling fish mostly just hang around and move slightly and are pretty boring. Catfish can be fin to watch.
Small to medium sized cichlids and gourami can be somewhat interactive. They'll recognize you and greet you when you walk up to the tank, chase around a laser pointer, be curious about a new decoration for a couple minutes.
African cichlids and some others will form hierarchies and squabble with each other over potential living quarters and mates, which can be interesting.
Some fish have interesting mating displays, like sparkling gourami and threadfin rainbowfish.

>>2458648
An well established tank lightly stocked with hardy, "clean" fish can get by with 15-30 minutes of maintenance once or twice a month. Planted tanks require occasional trimming that takes a bit more time, depending on what plants you get.
More heavily stocked tanks with more delicate or messier fish might take that much once to twice a week.

Feeding conservatively is a big key to reducing maintenance needs.
>>
>>2458648
Personally, between my 5 fish tanks and my turtle tub, 3-8 hours depending on what needs doing. I'm pretty anal about keeping them clean and keeping my plants groomed nicely, and I spend a fair bit of that time fixing the turtle's landscaping, because he's a destructive fucker. Cute tho.
>>
>>2458433
What you can't see is that it is two tandem canister filters. One drains the 100gal tub into a heavily planted 40 gallon breeder with a few snails, a pleco, and some tetras and minnows in the next room, and the next drains that 40 gal back into the 100 gal tub, that has my Eastern River Cooter, a big fuckoff pleco, some Chinese algae eaters, and several minnows. The canisters are both Eheim 2217, the lighting for the tub is just brood lamps with basking and heat bulbs, standard fluorescent hood on the breeder, heat is taken care of by 3 Eheim heaters, can't recall the wattage but it's enough for 200gal, and the stand for both are ones I made from pallet and barn wood. I had a UV sterilizer thing inline with the first filter, but I turned it off months ago and have had no ill effects.
>>
>>2458795
Damn that's a commitment.

>>2458804
>cooter
>>
File: Male bisexual fish.jpg (169KB, 674x506px) Image search: [Google]
Male bisexual fish.jpg
169KB, 674x506px
>>
is it possible to put in "too much" food in order ty cycle a tank with no fish?

I made a sort of "holder" for the fish food so it will stay in one spot instead of sinking into the gravel and making a mess so I figured I'd just put a load of food into it as to boost any ammonia levels.

it won't hurt my plants if the ammonia gets very high will it?
>>
>>2458867
is 3 cherry shrimp and a betta too much for a 3 gallon tank?
could I go up to 4 or 6 cherry shrimp?
my betta is a friendly guy so I don't think he would eat them
>>
>>2459008
Eat them? Maybe not. Chop them to pieces? Most likely yes.
People are sometimes struggling with having peaceful betta+invertebrate communities even in 10g tanks, for example. In 3 gallons the tiniest bit of stress is amplified and it results in a very, very angry betta. Basically it's gonna start feeling uncomfortable and take it on the little guys.
>>
>>2459008
I'm not sure why you replied to me but I'd really like to know if there is an issue with putting so much food to rot in a planted tank
would it speed things up by making ammonia spike, or kill my plants?
>>
File: IMG_9867.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9867.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2458804
Here's a shitty pic
>>
>>2458648
About 2 hours. I do a 20% water change and cleaning every ten days or so. Sometimes every two weeks.
>>
What are your unreal fishkeeping success stories?

This one is my father's:
>years ago
>dad's into fishkeeping and fishing
>has kept freshwater fish for a while
>decides to start a saltwater aquarium
>says "fuck you" to all the rules and recommendations
>doesn't give a fuck about proper water conditioners, parameters, lighting, or any other "regulation"
>fills a tank with actual sea water he got from the beach
>he catches his own fish from the beach with a fishing rod
>drives to the beach every week to fill a few buckets of water for water changes
>the fish actually survive for years
I was still too young when he did that so I don't remember or know the finer details of what he did, but the bastard did it.
>>
>>2459015
Not that guy, but for me the issue with overfeeding in my heavily planted tank is a fear of fungus. If you leave the food in there to rot you will get a fungus outbreak like no other because you can't get the rotting food up. The best thing to do is to turn off the filters and feed very little like a couple of flakes pellets at a time and make sure the fish are eating everything before reaches the bottom. Just feed little by little over the course of like 2 minutes and make sure everyone gets enough to eat, vacuum over the leftovers. I keep an area of just sand in the middle so that I can easily pick up leftover food.
>>
File: IMG_4511.jpg (1MB, 2446x2603px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4511.jpg
1MB, 2446x2603px
do you guys think this is legit? liquid stuff that came with substrate. im gonna let fish food disolve in the water for a few days then add it so the bacteria have something to eat if they're not dead/nonexistent
>>
One of my glowlight tetras has a bent spine. It's not the typical "humpback" type of curve, it's sort of like a c-shape so it's bending toward the side. It's not severe but it is noticeable. Any ideas on what could be causing it? The others are all fine.
>>
>>2459120
Possibly got damaged when netted at the store.
>>
I am an aquarium newbie. I like shrimp. For months I had about 4-6 opae ula shrimp living with a few marimo in a brandy glass on my window sill. I used deionized pure water from a laboratory, and an unmeasured amount of pink salt I ground off of a horse salt lick. I did no water changes, only topped off with more DI water when necessary. Yes, very scientific, I know. They were perfectly fine for months. I decided that the brandy glass was cruel, and wanted to upgrade them to a fish bowl. I put some aquarium gravel in the bottom of the bowl, poured everyone in, and within 3 days they were all dead.

I bought a 5g tank, a Fluval Chi. I bought dechlorinator, Seachem prime. I bought marine salt. I got black sand substrate. I bought a live plant (which died pretty quickly because I didn't acclimate it to the brackish water). I measured and mixed and got it set up, but didn't have any equipment for water testing, and only waited a few weeks before dumping the next batch of shrimp in. The last one died in about a week. I also got a weird algae bloom of some kind, where the surface of the water and the silicon joints of the tank had some film.

I emptied the tank, rinsed it with hot water, scrubbed the crevices with paper towels, put new sand substrate inside, went freshwater, bought a $1 ghost shrimp and a random snail from petco. The white mystery film reappeared on the silicon joints of the tank. Shrimp died in a few days, the snail took about a week.

Now, this tank has been empty for at least 4 months. I threw out my filter sponges/medium/stuff and bought new ones, and I bought a salinity refractometer. I want an opae ula tank with marimos, maybe one snail. How do I sanitize the tank and filter? How do I step up this tank and NOT commit shrimp genocide again? Sand or small gravel substrate? Is instant ocean marine salt okay or should I switch to a different brand? Is seachem prime dechlorinated tap water alright or do I need to DI/RO my to water instead?
>>
>>2459146
>TL;DR: a lot of things died in my 5g tank because I don't know what I'm doing. How do I clean and prep this tank for opae ula shrimp?
>>
>>2459146
>spends money on all sorts of fancy shit he ended up screwing up, throwing away and rebuying
>doesn't spare ten fucking bucks for a nitrites test
>>
>>2459143
I feel like I would have noticed it since I've had them for months. I hope it's not a progressing disease or anything.
>>
Aquarium makes me so happy man, I used to be depressed before but now I have shit to look forward to. Wagecucking so I can buy aquarium stuff feels so good.
>>
File: 57c.jpg (321KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
57c.jpg
321KB, 857x1202px
>>
>>2459153
This is why I asked for advice. I don't know shit. I'll get some nitrite test stuff. Is there anything I can do that will kick-start the whole cycling process? Live sand? Water additives?
>>
>>2459259
>Is there anything I can do that will kick-start the whole cycling process? Live sand? Water additives?
Yes, it's called research and it will cost you nothing but time. Best purchase you'll ever make.

But seriously, that's your issue. You are one of those guys that think a product with a fancy name will fix everything and do all the work for you. It won't. Stop reading product labels that promise you the world and actually start reading useful stuff. You are not asking for advice, you are asking for a miracle. Go read. The OP links are a good start.
>>
>>2459231
Stop while you still can! It's not too late to turn back!
>>
>>2459250
>not owning your own private island/atoll with a full reef ecosystem you can freely dive in as well as have your house in the middle of the lagoon where you can view it all from the basement with huge viewing panels like a huge ass aquarium
>>
File: 1502735405198.jpg (42KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
1502735405198.jpg
42KB, 500x522px
>>2459342
>not owning your your own mass of water the size of New York suspended in outer space that orbits the earth for you to rocket into and live in and contains every known species of freshwater aquarium fish that exists
>>
File: jewhovah.jpg (20KB, 414x414px) Image search: [Google]
jewhovah.jpg
20KB, 414x414px
>>2459352
>not creating your own universe and setting the gears of evolution into motion in order to observe all the freshwater fish that is or ever was or ever will be
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (1MB, 350x191px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
1MB, 350x191px
>>2459356
>>
>>2459352
>>2459356
>grand ways to look at fish
>not becoming the fish
Plebs. What's so good about observing fish? Why not become the fish? Know true tranquility first hand! Relinquish your consciousness and give under to the primal desires of fish!
>>
File: gJUVKdUh.jpg (133KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
gJUVKdUh.jpg
133KB, 1024x576px
I got a handful of hornwort and a couple little java ferns today
the cycling process continues
I still don't know what fish I'm going to put in here
>>
File: fish.png (770KB, 480x920px) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
770KB, 480x920px
Should I get two gouramis or a betta for my 30-gallon community tank?
>>
>>2459413
is your tank dirted?
>>
>>2459419
no but I was thinking about getting tabs
>>
>>2459417
Gouramis are dickheads and will harass fish smaller than them. Go for beta or get sparkling gouramis if they will be the smallest fish there. Otherwise skip gouramis.
Or get peacock gudgeons.
>>
>>2459426
I've been making osmocote plus tabs and they work really well, if you are wanting to go the diy route.
>>
>>2459435
not that guy but based on what ive seen myself, dwarf gouramis are huge pushovers
>>
>>2459445
That's what I thought, but I had to give mine away. He was bullying the guppies, cpd, and chili Rasbora. Then I got sparkling gouramis and they also bullied everyone. But they picked on the pygmy Cory and that was the last straw.
>>
Do you not need to dose ferts if you make the right substrate? I read a guide for mineralized soil used as substrate and it said they never dosed ferts.
Would this work for a high light intensity tank?
>>
>>2459535
The point of ferts is to add the nutrients a plant needs that would mostly normally be present in a healthy substrate. Some stuff like Amazonia etc are pre-fertilized, other stuff is totally inert and you need to dose and/or use root tabs depending on plants. Using fertile dirt or mineralizing your soil or creating a mineralized clay underlayer can reduce or remove the need to dose/use tabs.
>>
>>2459574
Wow, why does anyone ever dose? this seems waaaaay easier
>>
>>2459580
Because all the soils are more work or more money or possibly both, and some plants need the nutrients in the water column anyway (obviously floating plants), also I would think if you cover the entire bottom of your tank with a half-inch layer of clay-fertilizer mix (which is basically just a giant root tab really) you can't control the release of it or anything if you start getting an algae problem due to whatever imbalance of nutrients in the mix or it releasing too fast or too slow for your plant load.
>>
>>2459591
Which is to say "dosing equals control" over what is in the tank to get used by the plants and algae, and you don't have to worry about WHAT IF MY MIX WAS WRONG and the mineralized substrate nuking the setup.

Also, in the long run, your mineralized soil will only remain mineralized for a certain number of months/years, although that lifespan might be more than that of the tank and everything that was ever in it, depending.
>>
Hornwort anon again
How easy is it to propagate? Some of it is pretty long, could I just snap off an end piece and stick it in the sand somewhere else?
>>
File: imporved.jpg (580KB, 1862x1048px) Image search: [Google]
imporved.jpg
580KB, 1862x1048px
He seems so happy to be out of that little cup, and into 10 gallons of filtered, cycled water..
I can't wait until he sees the 40 breeder I'm setting up.
>>
File: IMG_3230.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3230.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2459097
No fish to overfeed
Here's what I have set up rn
is this too much? I'm mostly guessing about ammonia/nitrite levels atm but am in no rush to put fish in, just trying to keep my plants healthy and the one in the back looks a bit rough
I know red plants need higher CO2 but atm I have no CO2 injection and I'd prefer to not bother with one for a tank this size
>>
File: firemouth-cichlid-2.jpg (61KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
firemouth-cichlid-2.jpg
61KB, 600x450px
Recommendations for firemouth tankmates?
>>
>>2459630
yes
>>
File: 1453768705721.png (1MB, 923x641px) Image search: [Google]
1453768705721.png
1MB, 923x641px
>>2459632
y-you too...
>>
File: 1426019427948.jpg (101KB, 1000x664px) Image search: [Google]
1426019427948.jpg
101KB, 1000x664px
>>2459595
thanks anon, you're super helpful
>>
File: IMAG0263.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0263.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>local petshop is going to be opening back up
>I'm on good terms with the owners of the property, can probably get a good word in with the new person who willbe running it
>debating whether or not to use my 50 gallon to breed electric blue cray fish and take a chance on selling them there, or just turn it into a bitchin palufarium for my own amusement

NNNN CHOICES

In the mean-time though, rate?
>>
File: IMAG0265.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0265.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2459620
Pretty boy!

Here's mine. It's probably not coming through in this pic, but he has a very darkblue tint in his fins that shines in the light, at certain angles.
>>
>>2459655
I'm hoping he'll color up pretty well once he settles in.
>>
>>2459662
He looks pretty colorful already
>>
>>2459665
His reds are really washed out though. I hope they'll pop
>>
Noobie here, any brand suggestions for an internal filter/media/heater block (whatever they're called) for a 50 gallon (36in/18/18)? Only in the early planning stages for the tank and the variety of filters is overwhelming and I'm not quite sure how much I need to spend for a tank this size.
>>
>>2457682
That's how they live in nature fucktard
>>
File: IMG_6288.jpg (99KB, 750x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6288.jpg
99KB, 750x400px
>>2459755
Oh yes, totally equivalent
>>
>>2459752
Any particular reason you want internal and not HOB? I was looking at Hydors internal filters when I wanted one for my sump. Never got it though.
>>
File: IMG_2385.jpg (517KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2385.jpg
517KB, 1440x1080px
r8
>>
>>2459850
>Any particular reason you want internal and not HOB?

I was under the impression they're more convenient, but like I said I really have no idea about this kind of stuff I'm just in the planning stages. Probably won't be buying anything for a few weeks.
>>
>>2459250
>african cichlids not being the first panel

this sucks and you are gay
>>
is there a way to use a python while adding dechlorinator? it seems like a good idea, but i dont want to put chlorinated water into my tank.
>>
>>2459868
put there shrimps and take fish out
>>
File: 1503163549817259603632.jpg (4MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
1503163549817259603632.jpg
4MB, 2592x4608px
What type of chihuahua is this? He' hasn't grown up for the past 2 months. Is it a minitoy?
>>
>>2459888
Just put it in a 10L tank and it'll grow in no time.
>>
>>2459888
That's a weird lookin belly button
>>
File: mosquitofish.jpg (91KB, 600x339px) Image search: [Google]
mosquitofish.jpg
91KB, 600x339px
>>2457997
I have a juvenile one in a tank full of shrimp. Some guy I was buying plants from accidentally gave it to me in a bag of Christmas moss. Will it kill my shrimp when it gets bigger?
>>
File: 20170819_135102~01.jpg (616KB, 3024x2519px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_135102~01.jpg
616KB, 3024x2519px
Help, woke up this morning and saw one of my new peacock gudgeon's tail is fucked up. He seems lethargic. What do I do? Does it look like someone attacked it? Or is this done disease?
>>
>>2459902
Better shot of it
>>
>new to the hobby
>get tank, cycle it, follow all the steps, blah blah blah
>all looks good and the tank seems to be ready to house fish
>finally put six neon tetras in it
>even after being sure that the tank is good, you still fear that you might have screwed something up
>keep looking at the fish, getting incredibly anxious over every tiny little move they make, thinking they might be uncomfortable, or worse
Fish getting stressed? Fuck, what about me? I'm so worried and stressed I'm literally shaking. I just want the little guys to be fine.

When does it get better, guys? When can I finally rest?
>>
>>2459904
Sorry Opthis is some sort of illness cull and flush it quickly i have encountered it with bettas guppies endlers mollies and it is possibly contagious i didnt know gudgeons can get it fuck one more thing to look out for cull immediately my dud thats not a solvable issue its a contagious one
>>
>>2459916
you bought a meme fish thats were you fucked up they have a high chance of dying even if you do everything flawlessly do a little more research on good beginner fish next time
>>
>>2459921
i mean anon sorry high af
>>2459904
>>2459902
>>
>>2459896
most likely a feeder guppy or endler if guppy which it most likely is then yes it will oftenly eat the babies and it already very pregnant so congrats on you 50 plus shrimp killers anon
>>
>>2459922
But everyone says they are pretty hardy and good beginner fish.
>>
>>2459927
you were lied to ive heard some privately bred lines are hardy still but petstore lines are inbred and weak they die easily my dad paid something like $20 for 20 and 19 were dead within a month his survivor just hangs out with his glow light tetras lol
>>
>>2459933
Why would literally everyone lie though? I'm not talking petshops here, just fishkeepers.
Is it a conspiracy?
>>
So I'm thinking about getting some rummynose tetras for my 10g
any suggestions on a centerpiece fish to go with them?
I would have liked corys too but I worry I would overstock it if I did corys and tetras
>>
>>2459445
When I was getting into the hobby I had 4 dwarf gouramis 2 female red robins, 1 male red robin and 1 female wild caught one that I bought out of pity.

The 3 females bullied the male to death, or more like nagged him to death. I moved a female Krib into the tank while I was getting rid of her and the wild caught female would actually go after the krib and locked lips with it and just would not let up.

I got rid of the krib and never again was that dwarf a problem, kept her with the red robins and all sorts of corydoras, tetras and even a female betta and not a cross word between anyone.
>>
File: 20170819_140620.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_140620.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2459921
>>2459923
Fuck. I guess I'll try to find a jar or something for a quarantine tank. Any idea what disease it is though?
>>
>>2459937
fuck off bait im not listening
>>
>>2459946
no i dont know but there are a lot of unidentified ones you just have to be careful ive seen it kill a lot of live bearers i dont know how expensive your peacock gudgeons are mine were expensive as fuck so i wouldnt risk it if i were you
>>
I love Plecos. Can I see your Plecos?

I'd love to purchase one to live with my beta. Any suggestions? I'm guessing that any smaller Pleco would do? Should I wait until my tank is a little dirty to add the Pleco for food purposes?

New aquariumer, just rather excited!
>>
>>2459954
your either bait or a horrific newd what size tank do you have first answer the question and i will tell you if a it can qualify
>>
>>2459949
?
>>
>>2459960
i dont give a fuck about your opinions of anything nor am i expressing my opinions either i told you sad facts you bought a unhealthy meme fish that is going to waste your money i answered a question so now you can just fuck off buddy
>>
>>2459925
Pic is not mine. I got the fish when it was a barely visible fry so there's no way it's pregnant.
>>
>>2459958

I am completely serious!

I have a 10G tank! Bought it larger to accompany more fish later.
>>
>>2459962
ah thats good to hear just keep an eye on it also if its alone it will be stressed and lonely and still be eating your shrimplets lolol
>>
>>2459961
First of all, you are needlessly rude. That's not very Christian of you.
Now, did I state any opinion of mine? I don't believe I did. I merely stated what the majority of the hobbyists believe.
Lastly, you better start using proper grammar and punctuation if you want anyone understanding and respecting your posts. Thank you!
>>
>>2459963
you could maybe keep a clown pleco but you seem too much of a beginner to do it so you should probably do good research first they are driftwood dependent and a 10 gallon is on the small size really a 20 gallon would be best you need good filtration and a healthy amount of driftwood also you wont ever see the thing lol as in my case he lives eats and sleeps in the driftwood he has no need to come out also no dont let the tank get dirty you disgusting fag all fish hate living in their feces clean tanks semi regularly or they will die that is a gaurantee and plecos can die very quickly without decent water quality dont let your purchases be a easy way out cause they arent fag no in this hobby do research be intelligent dont make shit suffer
>>
>>2459965
lol no
>>
>>2459961
How are neon tetras memefish? Are you sure you aren't thinking of glofish? You sound like a triggered highly opinionated idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
File: who could it be.png (12KB, 530x564px) Image search: [Google]
who could it be.png
12KB, 530x564px
>>2459968
>>
>>2459969
haha oh yeah?
>>
>>2459973
polack get out
>>
>>2459974
haha yeah lmao xD
>>
File: oh shit its you nigger.png (86KB, 530x564px) Image search: [Google]
oh shit its you nigger.png
86KB, 530x564px
>>2459975
>>
>>2459967

Pretty sure you think I am more cynical than I actually am. Let's start that over.

I've already done a little bit of research. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard bettas aren't the biggest fans of a moving current. Would certain types of filters work better than others?

I understand about the tank size. Maybe I can reuse the tank for another type of fish!

By a little dirty, I mean let a little algae build up so they had something to eat. Obviously I would clean up their shit. I'm not cruel. There is a difference between living in a slightly dirty house and needing UNICEF to make a video about needing to poo in the loo.
>>
>>2459987
You might better luck keeping Ottos with your betta fish.
>>
>>2459993
Thank you, I'll look into this! Should I still move up in tank size?
>>
>>2460006
You can never have enough tank size, moving up is always a good idea.
>>
>>2460009
When I move up in tank size, should I be completing the nitrogen cycle before adding fish from the old tank?
>>
>>2460020
yes of course also dont listen to that other guy though ottos are great and all but not a beginner fish get a bristle nose pleco they feel right at home in a 20 or 30 gallon they are picky or driftwood dependent i have ottos and they are a bit fragile but almost all my decent sized tanks have a pleco and the majority are bristlenoses you get a good variety with their personality too not all are skittish and they are decently hardy i prefer them even over my clown i was just talking about
>>
>>2460053
they arent picky i mean>>2460020
>>
>>2460053
P U N C T U A T I O N
>>
>>2460055
fuck off I dont have time to pander to you
>>
>>2460057
haha okay, kid
>>
>>2460058
wew nice one, kid
>>
>>2460063
fuck off retard dont reply to me again
>>
>>2460053
>>2459967
I think your fish probably have more braincells than you.
>>
>>2460064
sorry newfag didnt mean to hurt your fweeelings...
>>
>>2460067
haha okay, kid
>>
Damn y'all are fucking annoying
>>
File: 1459734363870.jpg (34KB, 399x353px) Image search: [Google]
1459734363870.jpg
34KB, 399x353px
i know it probably varies greatly, but does anyone have general advice on how many hours of total darkness fish need each day?

i feel like i'm giving mine too much light.
>>
File: AquStockImage (1).png (20KB, 550x130px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage (1).png
20KB, 550x130px
Rate this stock for a 40 breeder
>>
File: 20170819_223038~01.jpg (2MB, 2662x4032px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_223038~01.jpg
2MB, 2662x4032px
I put him in a separate little tank. Going to pick up some fin rot medicine tomorrow. Or some salt? I don't know man. Let's see if he is even still alive by then.
>>
>>2460203
Tried to get him to eat but he didn't go for it.
>>
>>2460173
Boring beyond measure/10
>>
>>2460209
You're boring.
I'm probably adding more later once it's more established
>>
>>2460216
Why not just fill it with dirt? About as exciting as the livestock you've selected.
>>
>>2460205
what part of shes going to die dont you understand man shes suffering flush her i wouldnt let my fish duffer like that
>>
>>2460173
i have several similar tanks it works well
>>
>>2460226
No. She might make it. I won't give up on her.
>>
>>2460230
alright waste your time dumbfuck
>>
>>2460232
you should be btfo by the rest of your leftists cunt bruhs thaht want to throw frozen bottles at your heads and to peacefully swing metal baseball bats
>>
>>2460237
lol how did you turn this into politics?
>>
>>2460221
What's so boring about active shoaling fish and a few colorful solo acts?
Not everything needs to be cichlids.
>>
>>2460248
Nothing wrong with that. But the your choice of fish is boring.
>>
>>2460249
And what would be an interesting addition to that?
With my filtration and stuff I could house a lot more than just that
>>
>>2459868
Gorgeous/10
>>
Man my tank all of a sudden has an infestation of Malaysian trumpet snails. There has not been anything added to the tank in probably 8 months and that was just a couple dwarf gouramis and none of the petstore water got in the tank I swear these things just spawn from nothing
>>
>>2460262
I love me some Mts. Keeps the sand nice and clean. Plus snail eggs make it so I don't have to worry about feeding my danio danio.
>>
>>2460257
Do chili rasboras or emerald danio for shoaling and kili for color pop.
>>
>>2460257
i mean black neons? really?
at least go with glowlights or something
>>
>>2460269
I'm a little worried though that I need to cut back on feeding to keep their population in check but I don't want to starve my apple snail
>>
>>2460280
I actually prefer the black ones.

>>2460272
I'm trying to keep it with all the species, other than the betta, being amazon river basin natives so none of those really fit
>>
File: IMG_3237.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3237.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I brought this fish home yesterday, he seemed active enough in store but he's been lethargic and just floating at the surface or near the bottom since yesterday evening
I did a water change a little while before adding him, and another one this morning to hopefully liven him up.

Maybe it is a swim bladder issue from pet store over feeding? Or maybe nitrogen sickness though I doubt it since he was behaving this way right after being put in the tank and I've done two water changes.
I gave him a good pellet but he didn't touch it so I removed it, and not that he's in the tank I can see his fins are a bit ragged
He mostly just hides within the plants and barely moves
>>
File: IMG_3248.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3248.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2460305
Now I see this white thing hanging from him
I'm very annoyed if the store sold me a sick fish
I can try some aquarium salt
>>
>>2460318
pretty sure thats a turd anon
bettas are always a crapshoot
sometimes they're as fragile as toilet paper and sometimes they live forever

just last week I did a water change on all our bettas and all but two of them died because of it
I felt awful of course, but what else could I have done? I keep telling my managers that we should only half changes on their cups but they won't have it since its not the policy
>>
>>2460320
I only did the second water change because the power is out in my house until tonight and I wanted to give him some fresh water until the filter can come back on
Maybe it's just bloating, I'll try feeding him a bit tonight or maybe tomorrow morning to see if he's improved
Many of the other fish in the store didn't look much better, but I'd hope he doesn't have any diseases
>>
>>2460332
He still seems really lethargic and barely moving except to float at the surface or at he bottom. I might be able to return him but I don't want to abandon the poor fish to that crummy store and a life in a bottle
I'll see how he manages the next few days i guess
>>
File: IMG_3249.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3249.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2460337
A clearer pic in profile
The temperature is a bit high, around 30 while I normally have the tank at 25
He is reactive though, his eyes follow my finger and he moves when I come close
>>
Found some Buce at my LFS today for super cheap.

I thought this shit was rare and expensive?
>>
>Want a planted tank
>Can't seal with the BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ of the co2 solenoid

What do?
>>
>>2460433
Planted tank without co2. Set up your filter so that it disturbs the surface, or get a bubbler, and then put a few plants in. You won't do hairgrass carpets or anything like that, but you can have loads of slower plants. I've got seven amazon sword plants and a pair of ludwigia in a 70l tank, and they're doing just fine.
>>
File: 95f.png (42KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
95f.png
42KB, 655x509px
>Attempting the co2, fert, planted tank meme again for the 3rd time
>New tank in an attempt to start from zero algae start

I wont get algae this time r-right
>>
>get huge co2 setup, loads of plants, super pretty
>have a bunch of tetras and angelfish
>birthday
>gf gives me an oscar
>have to put it in or hurt her feels
>one month later i have no tetras and most of my plants are uprooted
>>
File: Screenshot_20170803-194746.jpg (140KB, 457x503px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170803-194746.jpg
140KB, 457x503px
I have a spaniel mix, weighs 24 lbs. I'm currently giving her two 1 mile walks and one 1/2 mile walk every day, so 2.5 miles total.

Is that too much? Sometimes she lags behind, but later will be ahead of me.

How much walking should she get?
>pic related
>>
>>2460449
what kind of fish is that?
>>
>>2459086
That is literally what I do. My saltwater is from the sea. I've even regrown a mushroom coral on some LR I got, however I do my top ups with RO mixed with a PH buffer.
>>
>>2460436
You will.
Algae isn't bad, just don't get huge blooms of it.
Certain kinds looks real nice on rocks and wood.
>>
>>2460449
Why are dog people so damn stupid?
>>
>>2460468
I keep getting brown algae over my carpet plants
>>
File: AquStockImage (4).png (26KB, 550x170px) Image search: [Google]
AquStockImage (4).png
26KB, 550x170px
Post your dream setup that you will never EVER actually get to pull off.
>>
>>2460449
You'll want at least a four hundred gallon tank for that.
>>
>>2460491
A marine pond the size of a swimming pool, stylized as a beach, filled with small shallow water predators like dogfish sharks.
>>
File: 20170807_002728.jpg (4MB, 3827x1864px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_002728.jpg
4MB, 3827x1864px
>>2460433
Don't do CO2? Pic related no CO2, pool for Sand and diy osmocote plus root tabs, flourish, and the Seachem iron liquid for the red plants
>>
>>2460442
Hell no I would have either gotten a new tank for it or returned that shit
>>
>>2460442
>have to put it in or hurt her feels

Why is this so common in aq green texts? I can't imagine anyone I know doing that to me. In high school when I got my first tank, my mom was the voice of reason and she knew nothing about fish.

>are you sure you have enough room for that fish?
>he needs a friend to swim with
>that fish looks mean don't get him

All of your families are retarded.
>>
>>2460518
>that fish looks mean don't get him
woah, racist!
>>
>>2460518
You get to choose between having a bunch of tetras or getting laid. Pretty easy choice.
>>
>>2460449
Quarantine before introducing it into the tank. Use epsom salt
>>
>>2460532
>kill your pets or I won't have sex with you

Yeah, breaking up with that person would be a pretty easy choice to make.
>>
>>2460172
I always read that 10 hrs +/- 2 hrs is good. Mine is on a timer for 10 hrs a day
>>
>>2460532
The tetras are a better choice.
Are you 12?
>>
>>2460552
But anon, people don't think of fish as pets
>>
Alright anons what are your favorite tanks and what is occupying them? Mine would have to be my fully planted 10 gallon with 6 dwarf emerald microrasbora and a couple ottos it was my first planted tank and it worked flawlessly, whats your favorite?
>>
>>2460518

anon should have used it as an excuse to buy another tank. missed a golden opportunity to indulge in the hobby
>>
File: 20170820_104202-01.jpg (2MB, 3011x1859px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_104202-01.jpg
2MB, 3011x1859px
My humble 10g. Suggestions welcome. It's stocked with a balloon molly, regular molly, and two glofish skirt tetras. I think I need to get rid of the tetras though.
>>
>>2460603
My huge bowfront. It has a "back to nature" 3D background, which looks like a cliff wall. I also have a U shaped driftwood placed upside down to create a cave, and some ludwigia and amazon swords framing it. I keep my oscar in there.
>>
>>2460603
My current tank, since it's the only one. A 90g with a turtle, some danios, ghost shrimp, and a fuckton of guppies.
>>
>>2460442
Without being an asshole, you need to let your loved ones know that there are plenty of well-meaning gifts they could get you that would actually be terrible ideas. Don't be an asshole about it, but be proactive. This doesn't only apply to aquarists, either. I've had to be very clear about the kind of camping/fishing gear I can actually use, and it's made for better gifts and happier gift-givers, because I can talk to them honestly later about how much I love the thing they got me.
>>
>>2460375
It used to be, but there are a few species that are becoming pretty common.
>>
File: DSC_0199.jpg (671KB, 1280x793px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0199.jpg
671KB, 1280x793px
Took quite a good photo of a boring fish.
>>
File: IMG_20170820_165605.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170820_165605.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>2460661
Get on my level. This Nigga is a racoon tier fish
>>
>>2460491
someday I'll set up a REAL goldfish tank
like 200 gallons with a black moore, an oranda, and like 3 or 4 ryukins
maybe some dojo loaches and white clouds too
>>
>>2460603
I've heard otos are supposed to be kept in bigger tanks
any tips for getting them set up in my 10g?
>>
File: IMG_4525.jpg (1MB, 2446x3055px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4525.jpg
1MB, 2446x3055px
setting up my hardscape, any suggestions? gonna add cabomba and Pygmy chain sword and cover the tube in riccia or christmas moss eventually
>>2460514
wow this is one of the best tanks I've seen in these threads
>>
>>2460375
>buce
Holy shit fuck why didn't I hear about this plant until know? Blue with tiny white dots, and it grows directly onto driftwood and rocks!
It's the perfect fucking plant!
>>
>>2460677
another big rock on the right side i would think
>>
File: DSC_0204.jpg (408KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0204.jpg
408KB, 1000x667px
>>2460685
Yeah they look great, used to be really rare a few years ago and people would sell them for tons of money. Now they're common and cheap.

These are from my tank.
>>
>>2460702
Looks amazing. Unfortunately I've never seen them in any of the local fish shops, so I just ordered a few from ebay. I'll probably only get a single leaf, but whatever, if it's anything like anubias I'll soon have more than I can handle anyway. God they are gorgeous.
>>
>>2460661
how many do you have?
>>
File: ba31ba6.jpg (213KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
ba31ba6.jpg
213KB, 1536x864px
>>2460677
Thanks! My suggestion would be to add some height and skills to the substrate. Having is low in the foreground and high in the background. Gives a bit of perspective instead of just being flat. Work with negative space. Here is a pic of an old hardscape to show what I mean
>>
>>2460738
Slopes* not skills. Fucking autocorrect.
>>
there are several dif types the ones from petsmart stay on the small side the healthiest planted tank you can think of and expect deaths still ask yourself a question could shrimp live in this tank if the answer is yes then you could likely be fine with ottos
>>
>>2460750
>>2460673
my bad heres my reply
>>
What's the point of getting big schools of fish if they don't even school? I've been fishkeeping for awhile and my schools only ever display that behavior when stressed like I'm putting something in their tank or cleaning it.

Why bother?
>>
>>2460637
i wouldn't put tetras in a 10g nah

my 10g is overstocked with various nano species but it doesn't look crowded and they don't display stress, plus the parameters are all fine
>>
>>2460875
They'll get too stressed and die if you don't
>>
File: 20170819_172041.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170819_172041.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
What's the best way for me to add a support for a 10g sump/quarantine tank to this stand? I don't want to just have it on the floor. It's a Brooklyn 29 stand. As you can see there is quite a bit of clutter.
>>
>>2460972
get some 3/4" span rated ply, if you want to be super serious get marine grade, but it doesn't much matter.

cut a rectangle the same size as the outsides of the bottom braces for a shelf. Cut notches for the corner posts. Set your shelf on the bottom braces.

maybe paint it black if you want it to match
>>
>>2460976
The ply will hold the full 10g without bowing? Sorry I know nothing about wood. Thanks for your suggestion, definitely a lot simpler that what I was thinking and seems like it's work a lot better.
>>
How does Tropica do those videos where they plant something and in 7 days it's already doubled in size?

Anything I plant takes at least a month to go through the shock phase where it wont grow at all.
>>
Just ordered a new desk. Gonna get a rimless 1-2g saltwater tank. how many itty bitty hermit crabs you think I could squeeze in there? About 3-5?
>>
File: 20170820_202722.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_202722.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
This little shit right here is eating all the plants in my tank. I have anubias, java fern, anacharis, and cabomba planted and he's eating it all.
What plants wouldn't he find tasty?
>>
>>2461019
its a crawdad, its going fuck up everything you hold dear
no exceptions
>>
>>2460876
Yeah I've been trying to sell them but I think I'm going to have to put them up for free. I read they should be in groups of 5+.
>>
File: 20170820_202746.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170820_202746.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2461023
well that's no bueno
At least he hasn't made any attempts at the fish, despite what everyone told me.
>>
>>2461029
well they kind of have a limited ability to chase them down
but if its edible and he can grab it, he WILL eat it
>>
>>2461029
>putting crayfish together with fish or plants
Dude...
>>
>>2460667
That nigga is qt as fuck. Too bad he digs alot and I had to move him.
>>
>>2461032
>>2461037
Jeff is a good boy and would never hurt a fish
>>
>>2461029
cute loach
>>
File: IMG_3258.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3258.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
He's looking pretty rough
He's eaten today but still very lethargic
I've done water changes every day so far to keep things fresh and clean but he hasn't really improved besides maybe his colour
I'm not sure what else I can do besides cleaning and getting him to eat
>>
>>2459965

Fuck christianity its fucking gay anyway you faggot sky daddy bitch

Why dont you fuck of back to pol with your gay bullshit and stay there instead of stuffing your gay morality down everyones throats
>>
>>2460237

surely the leftist would be the guy desoeratly trying to save the fish and just prolonging its suffering?

Putting the thing out of its misery seems the opposite of that
>>
>>2461115
Woah, super-triggered man-baby alert.
>>
>>2461012
Massive amounts of ferts CO2 and light?
>>
Guys

I turned on the light and my tank has hundreds of white things floating in it that straight up look like sperm cells

I can't get a pic because they're so small but they actually move around. My betta is eating the fuck out of them right now so I'm not particularly worried about it but what the fuck even is that?
>>
>>2461168
Probably either detritus worms or some sort of larva. In the former case you might have some water quality issue that caused them to evacuate the substrate, and also you are overfeeding if there's an assload of them
>>
>>2461175
Looking closer at them they almost look like shrimp.

And my berried amanos are no longer berried...

But I thought amanos required specific conditions to fertilize?
>>
>>2461179
The babby amanos will die in freshwater, they will still be born.
>>
File: 1503323576454.jpg (18KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
1503323576454.jpg
18KB, 509x339px
>When one fish is a different shade to the rest
>>
If you're getting an algae outbreak should you dial down your ferts?

Common sense says yes but I've heard some people say "not enough ferts" as the answer to why someone has an algae outbreak.
>>
>>2461276
ferts/nutrients are the pleb's information-regurgitation response to algae

your photo period is probably way too long. black out for a day or two and reduce light hours across the board. physically remove algae. run your return through a coffee filter to catch any algae disturbed into the water column. use CO2 or liquid carbon like excel (on an actual program, not one time thinking it's an algae remedy)
>>
>>2461284
What if you have algae showing you have too much light. But also your carpet isn't growing showing you don't have enough light.

Which one is correct?
>>
I'm not convinced that acclimatising fish actually has any benefits at all. It's just something we all do because we're told to do it.

Just thing about it a fish isn't going to adapt to a change of water quality in the space of 30 minutes to an hour.

Can you adapt to living in a different climate in 30 minutes to an hour? No you can't it takes months.
>>
>>2461314
Yeah, it has nothing to do with the water temperature either, fish regularly swim through ten degree temperature differences in the wild and they're fine. Tropical fish also won't die the moment the tank goes below 25 degrees, the temperature in their rivers regularly drops to 16 and less during the rain period.
>>
File: 902.jpg (61KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
902.jpg
61KB, 1000x800px
Just got some celestial pearl danios
>>
Are ponds allowed here too? We have a pond with some goldfish and a koi in it
>>
>>2461350
ye

>>2461324
I think nitrate and pH/hardnesses might be the real issues, but wild fish get swings in those too I imagine
>>
>>2461273
Name it
>>
I checked my cycling tank with my tds meter and I have a 265 x10 ppm. Wtf am I doing wrong?
>>
>>2461397
>Wtf am I doing wrong?
thinking TDS has anything to do with cycling.

look, TDS is going to rise over time whether you're cycling or not. That's the reason we do water changes.
>>
>>2461400
How do I get it to something lower like 20ish?
>>
>>2461419
uh, use an RO unit and have an empty tank
>>
>>2461385
Shut up fag
>>
>>2457827
>watching my 20 gallon
>one of the corys starts darting around
>head butts my dwarf gourami at full speed
Now my gourami picks with the corys, why can't he understand it didnt mean to
>>
>>2461445
How do you know he didn't mean to? Maybe they fooled you but didn't fool the gourami. U a fish whisperer bruh?
>>
>>2461457
Yes, I get real close to the tank and whisper "sweet dreams" every night before I shut the lights and go to bed.
>>
>>2461397
Update

I added Seachem Prime/stability to the water, so now I know why the tds was so high.
>>
Looking to stock a 29G. I've had tetras, platys, shrimp, bettas, and corys in the past.

I want something really colorful, and small and not a timebomb like dwarf gouramis.

The tank will be lightly planted, maybe half a carpet, some rocks and one or 2 big background plants on white filter sand and a black background.

Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>2461491
Get a pair of oscars.
>>
>>2461486
Will the TDS go down after I added seachem?
>>
>>2461493
>>2461491

*if you want to be a nigger

sorry forgot to include that in my post
>>
>>2461493
Do it
>>
New thread
>>2461538
>>
>>2461534
And if I don't want to?...
>>
>>2459250
lol
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.