[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - aquarium general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 52

File: IMG_0970.jpg (36KB, 799x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0970.jpg
36KB, 799x480px
adorable killifish edition

old: >>2439864
>>
File: maxresdefault (8).jpg (174KB, 1632x1088px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (8).jpg
174KB, 1632x1088px
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
>>>2446021
I'm using one, my hand tends to slip away from it at the end of the cut.
>>
>>2446084
ok that's reassuring, thanks. Maybe you can answer this, how much of the roots should be in the substrate? Like half? Or less
>>
>>2446090
i personally never bury the roots i loge the base of the plant between a couple rocks to keep it grounded but still allow it to get water flow my wife has accidentally killed some of hers because she buries it and has buried too much i say fuck that shit 0 risk

sorry sir intoxicated atm
>>
two of my endlers are being assholes out of nowhere, constantly picking fights with each other and trying to chase my other fish around. are they going to stop or is this some kind of dominance thing?
>>
what should i feed my pleco. im worried its not eating.
>>
>>2446035
I have a 5 galon tank. What fish is the best to grow in it?
>>
>>2446151
really only a bettta or snails or shrimp use google stupid fag
>>
>>2446143
depends what kind of pleco be specific tard some species need driftwood others eat shit be specific
>>
>>2446120
male endlers spar its normal gay bs they are weak and small so its not like their nigger shit effects anyone in my tanks really you shouldn't worry
>>
>>2446155
grow up
>>
>>2446161
no you
>>
File: $_86.jpg (161KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
161KB, 1024x768px
>>2446154
the store didn't specify what kind it was other than a "sailfin". i think it could possibly be a spotted sailfin pleco or a leopard sailfin pleco. it looks like this. do you mean it needs driftwood as in it eats driftwood?
>>
>>2446151
One betta fish
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
>>2446172
>actually buying a shitfactory.
>>
>>2446255
This, my mystery snails do a better job of cleaning my tank. Plecos are cute tho

>>2446101
Good idea lodging it between two rocks. I'll try that.
>>
One of my guppys abandoned ship.
Press F to pay your respects.
>>
>>2446152
>>2446197
I have a betta and two guppys in a 3.6g ya'll are babies.
>>
>>2446374
Good job giving them a hard time in that coffee cup.
>>
>>2446395
Ironic considering fish stores including major chains literally keep bettas in cups of water yet no one boycotts them for it. Why not go rescue all the bettas in every fish store ever you advocates of sissies.
>>
>>2446274
[F]
>>
>>2446397
That would encourage them to sell more.

Also, look how many of those betta look like shit or are straight up dead.
>>
>>2446374
Yes, it takes a big strong man to put tiny fish in tiny bowls. lol

You're just a shit pet owner. Nothing brave or intelligent or whatever about that.
>>
>>2446417
A lot because they don't routinely change their water. If they did water changes every day they would be fine. Fish aren't dogs. They dont need space to exercise. Bad water quality is cruel. Keeping them in small but well maintained tanks is just whatever.
>>
short term storage is not equal to life-long habitation
>>
>>2446418
Retard
>>
Decided to drop buying the ro/di unit and just using dechlorinated water for the fowlr tank lol
>>
>>2446465
If you don't plan on growing coral having an ro/di woulda been pointless. That's only for people who need precise parameters like for corals. If you really want good water quality to help agaisnt algae it's a little more expensive but you can buy distilled water and add your salt mix to that or do distilled/tap 50/50 to save a bit. If you were also that guy asking about protein skimmers you don't need one of those either. Water changes will do just fine.
>>
>>2446420
>Fish don't atrophy when they can't move
Ok
>>
>>2446503
>greentext argument
Ok
>>
File: 75.png (438KB, 1073x494px) Image search: [Google]
75.png
438KB, 1073x494px
Would it be cheaper to build a 75 gallon tank or buy one? I really enjoy the height of my 55 gallon, but I like how wide the 40 gallon breeder is. I was going to look into building one and I found 75 gallon aquariums are the size I am looking for. If I built one, I thought I would use 10mm glass.
>>
>>2446472
I'm still gonna get the skimmer just to be on the safe side
>>
>>2446565
The heaters and filters suck so you'll just end up bying it again, just buy it off craegislist or get a 55 gal for 65 bucks at petco and buy the rest of the stuff
>>
Q1: How many skirt tetras can go in a 10g? I have two at the moment but it says to have at least 5-6. That seems like a lot for a 10g, but I still want to get a school going and make the tetras a little happier. I also have one Molly in there already.

Q2: is it possible to sell your fish to a fish store? What about PetSmart/Petco? If I can't house these fish correctly I might as well sell them and get what I actually want.
>>
>>2446565
Wait for a $1 per gallon sale at Petco. They added 75G tanks to the list this year.
>>
>>2446631
The amount of fish you can keep in any tank always depends on how much bio load your bacteria can handle and how well/often you maintain it.

Fish stores wont usually buy fish off yoy unless you got a bunch and they're a popular species. Even if they do it'd be at like 50% of what they sell them at. So it's not really worth it.
>>
>>2446633
I read that that sale is going on right now, but I can't find a 75 gallon on their website.
>>
>>2446658
Just talked with a rep, they don't sell them.
>>
>>2446657
Alright so should I just post them up on Craigslist then? I don't really care how much I get for them, I got them for free. I just don't want to kill them
>>
>>2446587
Well, skimmers never hurt and it lets you go longer between water changes so if you got the cash, why not?

>>2446657
>The amount of fish you can keep in any tank always depends on how much bio load your bacteria can handle and how well/often you maintain it.
Not entirely true, as even if you did large water changes daily and had a massive filtration system in place (like a sump with a shit ton of media, but who would have that for a small tank?), there are limits due to stress and aggression.

>>2446633
>>2446658
>>2446667
I've been to two petco's in my area since the sale started and they are all only up to 29G, with 50% off of 40, 45, and 50G.

>>2446669
>>2446657
Craigslist is a fine idea for rehoming. If you really don't care about the money you could just give them away on Craigslist.
>>
>>2446423
Good argument bro. You keep showing those fish who's boss.
>>
>>2446420
All this justification of your bad pet keeping habits is for what? Because you somehow can't afford the minuscule amount of space between a 2G tank and a 10G tank (or even 5G)? lol

The footprint difference of tanks that small is like a loaf of bread, and at petco right now, literally $10, and it would open up possibilities to not have a shitty looking tank.
>>
File: hjk-1.jpg (67KB, 1046x668px) Image search: [Google]
hjk-1.jpg
67KB, 1046x668px
>>2446255
desu i wish the thing was a shit factory but it wont eat. Halp.
>>
File: duck.jpg (55KB, 452x707px) Image search: [Google]
duck.jpg
55KB, 452x707px
>>2446151
dont listen to these fags telling you to get a beta for your 5 gallon tank. they dont know what they are talking about. get a baby koi.
>>
File: 4141-38621.jpg (52KB, 520x347px) Image search: [Google]
4141-38621.jpg
52KB, 520x347px
>>2446228
i tried zucchini slice but he wont touch it. what do halp plz
>>
>>2446763
You mean the largest adult Koi that can fit
>>
>>2446777
this
>>
>>2446767
Does it have a sunken belly?
>>
File: expensive.jpg (57KB, 800x438px) Image search: [Google]
expensive.jpg
57KB, 800x438px
>>2446824
i just got it so no. it cleans the glass like a champ but im worried that that is not enough nourishment for it. i just read somewhere that some plecos eat certain types of wood. im going to go to the store i got it from and ask if i can buy some of the wood they had in the tank it was in.
>>
>>2446472
>If you don't plan on growing coral having an ro/di woulda been pointless. That's only for people who need precise parameters like for corals.
Live rock (real live rock) is absurdly expensive and requires parameters and lighting just like a reef tank to survive.

which probably doesn't matter to anon since it's almost impossible to buy real live rock in the US anymore, and the anon isn't likely to pay the $200 they'd need to get a chunk the size of their head shipped to their doorstep in good condition.

But in real life FOWLR owners keep params very similar to any reef tank so their rock doesn't die. Also the CUC usually requires some pretty clean water as well.
>>2446587
>I'm still gonna get the skimmer just to be on the safe side
a skimmer is necessary if you don't want to be changing water every week, but won't help with whatever nitrates and phosphates are in your tap water.
>>
File: CAM00095.jpg (358KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00095.jpg
358KB, 2048x1536px
DO YOU GUYS LIKE MY TANK?

IT'S 5 GALLON AND I GOT TWO BLACK MOORE THE PETSHOP GUY SAID THEY WON'T GET ANY BIGGER
>>
>>2446172
Its a gibbicep you pleb. Use algae wafers, small doses of carnivorous pellets and weight some cucumber down.

They shit like a motherfucker.
>>
I have an 37 litres cold saltwater aquarium with local fauna (all crustaceans right now, nothing too big) and some macroalgae.
The problem is that while the sea temperature is never higher than 20ºC (17 is the mean temperature) in here, my tank is between 22 and 23ºC. Most chillers are said to cool the water about 4 degrees or something, but obviously I need more.
Should I buy a chiller or place an ice brick with some cold water every now and then?
>>
>>2446921
>chiller
I meant aquarium fan.
>>
>>2446923
I mean realistically a fan isn't going to do what you want. And dropping frozen water bottles in is a pain in the ass and very likely to overcool the tank.

In a perfect world you'd spend the $200-$400 for a drop in chiller.
These here are nice but you'd probably need 2:
>https://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Ice_Probe_with_Power_Supply_Micro_Nano_Aquarium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1111-FICHMC-vi.html?utm_source=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=mdcsegooglebase2&utm_content=CW1111&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcbDm_G61QIVSj2BCh1PCAewEAQYAyABEgLwVPD_BwE
>>
>>2446918
thanks faggot
>>
File: IMG_20170724_232008.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170724_232008.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2446927
>I mean realistically a fan isn't going to do what you want.
Would fans made for bigger aquariums (20 gallon fans for instance) do the trick or it would just have the same effect?

>That link
Seems a bit expensive and probably won't ship to my country ,although it's more feasible than a big chiller due to size mostly. t I'll see more into it, or at least similar alternatives

Thanks and have a shitty quality pic of one of my porcelain crabs in return.
>>
>>2446873
Thanks Anon for the detailed explanation. I decided to just get 2 lbs of live rock and mostly dry rock and sand. I also plan on treating water and letting it sit out long enough as the tds isn't too bad (30).
>>
File: 1500693018886.jpg (61KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500693018886.jpg
61KB, 960x960px
Okay /an/, I'm finally getting back on the saddle. I had a 10 gallon tank that my family managed,to kill last year but I'm gonna give it another shot. Luckily, I still have the tank running so I have a solid planted tank that's ready to go. Couple of things
1. My setup. I'm planning on getting one centerpiece fish and then a school of something like tetras. Has anybody had a female betta before? Also, is there any third type of fish I should look into adding?
Any other ideas for a small centerpiece? Unfortunately I can't get exactly what type of fish will be available since my LFS has a pretty variant stock
2.any good decorating ideas? I was thinking of filling a clear beer bottle with something glow in the dark and resealing it but I don't know it the bottle cap would be safe.
>pic unrelated
>>
>>2447036
Get shrimp and some kind of schooling fish like tetras, a moving floor looks cool and you'll basically never have to do water changes when the shrimp population booms
>>
>>2446839
Plecos love having some wood, since it lets them gnaw at something, gives them something to hide in, and will very gradually soften the water, which they prefer. But it doesn't have a nutritional benefit, and they get by just fine without one.
If his belly isn't sunken, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes a small pleco can actually live entirely off of algae and scraps. He'll start eating the zucchini if he gets hungry enough, so if his belly starts sinking give vegetables another try. Alternatively, just buy a jar of algae wafers for him. It contains some added protein he needs, and I've never had a pleco that doesn't go crazy for algae wafers. I feed mine roughly one third of a wafer once a week, it keeps them nicely plump but not so much that they stop eating algae.
>>
File: 20170724_085604.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170724_085604.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
Does my tank look okay? I'm insecure, its my first one.

Only have Oto Cats, what are good schooling fish for a 55 gal?
>>
>>2447122
That looks amazing my dude. No idea on the types of fish tho since I have a tiny tank.
What is the tiny plant on the floor?
>>2447107
Last time I got shrimp they got ate. I might try again tho. Already planning on tetras
>>
>>2447130
Staurogyne repens. Better in high light, so mine are slow to grow
>>
>>2447130
let the shrimp get established first, give it a month or two
>>
>>2447142
Thanks
>>2447146
Not waiting a month for shrimp
>>
>>2446900
did ur betta die?
>>
>>2447122
I love my litte school of neon tetras.
>>
My oscar has gotten small lesions on his head, and I suspect this is the beginning stage (hexamita) of hole in the head disease. The recommended treatment for this is antibiotics (metronidazole). Since my oscar is alone in his tank, I don't need to worry about hurting other fish with the medication, but if I add antibiotics to the tank, won't that kill the cycle bacteria in the filter?
>>
>>2447161
yes
>>
>>2447122
tfw been in hobby 3 yrs and still can't make tanks look like this. I guess sum ppl do got a knack for it
>>
>>2447188
>tfw the only thing green in my tank is the water
;_;
>>
>>2447163
Damn. Okay then, I'll start him off with ektozon and if he gets any worse I guess I'll have to nuke the tank. Fish-in cycle can't be worse than a hole in your head, I hope.
>>
>>2447206
why dont you use a hospital tank?
>>
File: l26le.jpg (423KB, 800x540px) Image search: [Google]
l26le.jpg
423KB, 800x540px
>>2447111
thank you!
>>
>>2447207
Don't have one. Suppose I could put him in a bucket.
>>
>>2447215
well if the bacteria is in the aquarium already, maybe it is worth treating the whole tank?
>>
how do i cure ich on the cheap?
>>
>>2447219
It isn't a bacteria, it's a parasite. Ektozon is effective against this type of parasite and won't kill my cycle, so with any luck this'll work. If it gets any worse I'll nuke the tank though.
>>
>>2447237
good luck anon, hope your fish heals up quick!
>>
>>2447215
Do it. Antibiotic treatment takes three days tops. Put him in your largest bucket and fill it with tank water. Add the treatment. Fit an airstone to keep him breathing, and put on a dark lid and weight to keep him calm and prevent from jump out. Each day replace all the water in the bucket and add more treatment. Don't feed him during the treatment.
It's not perfect but it'll be better for him than a fish in cycle.
>>
I want to take a step up and have beautiful plants like you guys, so I've been looking at Co2 systems. If I get something like https://www.aquaristikshop.com/aquaristic/JBL-ProFlora-u504-CO2-Complete-System/128807/ , how long can I expect a bottle of CO2 to last in a 200l tank?
>>
So my tank has quite a few mystery snails in it. I just added some plants. Are they gonna eat my plants? I see them crawling on them from time to time
>>
>>2447036
>Any other ideas for a small centerpiece?
Dwarf Gourami. They are pretty, available, affordable and hardy.
>>
>>2447264
I've heard both ways about a lot of snails, for eating the leaves vs just cleaning the algae off, I would guess it has to do with how much food they are finding that is easier to eat than leaves.
>>
>>2447330
Thought about it. Are they as interactive as Betta? Can I keep more than one?
>>
>>2447337
Depending on the species and whatnot they can be somewhat aggressive, but not nearly so much as bettas are to each other (or anything similar to a betta, like gouramis, for example). Most of the dwarf gouramis are really passive though, and from my understanding ALL the ones you are likely to find in a store are males, and without a female to compete for I dunno if they really get hormonal. tl;dr yes you can have more than one (depending on tank size I have been typing for so long I forget what your size is if it's ten MAYBE two of the smaller dwarfs like honey??? do research).

Considering how closely related they are, I'd assume their behavior (towards you) should be similar to a betta.

Gouramis do have some particular health issues though, there's an entire disease just for them!
>>
>>2447330
>>2447337
>>2447343
Also note that sometimes gourami chew the shit out of plants. It varies between specific plants and gourami so you'll have to do a bit of research.

Generally gourami get along pretty well with its own species, however gourami of different types almost always end in horror.
>>
File: 1465766853024.jpg (76KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1465766853024.jpg
76KB, 600x600px
>leak in bubble counter
>unscrew wrong end first
>cutting board oil explodes everywhere
>oil in tank, on wall, on hands, on desk, on clothes, on face, etc
>clean shit up as best I can and do small water change
>late at night and tired
>say fuck it just use hand soap instead of oil because FUCK this shit
>hook it all back up and go to sleep
>seems fine in the morning.. just some minor bubbles coming out the exit port of the bubble counter and into the tubing
>itsprobablyfine.jpeg
>get back from work
>fish stuck against overflow looks dead
>ohboy.jpg
>look at tubing and see bubbles through the entire tube, into the diffuser, bubble counter is literally full of bubbles

100% water change and went back to oil... I guess the leak allowed oxygen to mix or something and pushed the soap all the way through and it diffused into my tank. Fish seem fine after the water change but god damn. I knew I'd have a learning curve with planted tanks but shit.
>>
>>2447432
Wait, did you lose any fish? I'd keep an eye on nitrites after that too.

I knew someone who gassed an entire tank of some stupid fancy fish when their Co2 regulator or solenoid (cannot remember) failed and it just fucking asphyxiated everything in there overnight/while they were at work.
>>
>>2447510
Nah I think I caught it just in time. Fish were pretty much motionless and my bettas eyes were hazed over. Looked like they had some ich on them too some really bright white spots stuck on their scales. But once I did the water change it went away. Pretty sure the soap got into the water and was poisoning them.
>>
>>2447153
The one that was in that tank? No.

I moved him into a ten gallon in the bathroom with some neons. He's much more active and explores the tank. One of the neons tends to school with him instead of the other group.

And my other black betta I moved outside in a 2.5 gallon with lots of pothos roots.

I tried him in a couple tanks (the 5, 10, and partners 20) and he wouldn't settle down. I would watch him from around corners, and he never explored or snooped for food. He would either pace or just go lay down on or in something. If I tried to come near him, even when I was feeding him, he would flare and pace.

So I tried tried the 2.5 after I got some pothos growing in the water pretty well, and he was a lot more content and looks around his area.

I'll probably get him another 3 or 5 gallon tank and a lot of plants and try that, but for now he's got one of those heaters that shuts off at 78* and a sponge filter.

The ryukin are getting treated for ich currently, and if they make it, are going into the porch container (14 gallons ), then probably a 29 gallon once they get bigger. Or a kitty pool.

Haven't decided yet.
>>
>>2447432
i mean honestly some hubbies aren't for dumb people i guess

>"I'll just use soap, which will kill all my fish if it gets out, and also creates bubbles as its job"
>>
>>2446397
Nothing can be done there because they wanna sell stuff. If I'm starting a shop, I'd have an estate bought and then keep my fish there growing in large freshwater ponds until a customer wants em. Ofcourse it takes up a lot of money and time but ultimately I want to do that.
>>
Is this acceptable?

I mean I head putting goldfishes in a bowl like this is cruel. Why?
>>
Anybody keep pygmy gaurami? Are they anything like dwarves? I want a dwarf but I also want a betta and I'd rather they didn't fight
>>
File: 490[1].jpg (48KB, 627x626px) Image search: [Google]
490[1].jpg
48KB, 627x626px
>>2447686
>>
>>2447686
>little to no filtration options and goldfish are shit machines
>goldfish grow fuck huge, keeping them in something like that stunts their growth badly
>very little surface area to get aeration

Basically they'll either die through suffocating, their deteriorating health from the stunted growth, or their own shit.
>>
>>2447642
Hey, man. I'm not dumb. I just don't think things through all the way sometimes. I'll admit I knew using soap was probably stupid, but I couldn't have known it would bubble all the way through my tubing and out the diffuser.
>>
File: little faggot.png (11KB, 450x442px) Image search: [Google]
little faggot.png
11KB, 450x442px
I've been fishless-cycling a 10g with some fish food for about 2 weeks. Today I spotted some tiny white worms swimming around in the water. They don't stick to the glass or crawl, they just swim (spaz out) around and hang out in the gravel. From what I understand, they probably are Detritus worms and they are pretty much harmless. What do you think?

I couldn't get a picture but they look like pic related. Pls help.
>>
>>2447833
Burn it all and start over
>>
>>2447833
Get a cheap betta and let it eat the worms.

They are hardy and will help the cycle, and if you do a small water change every day, it really won't hurt the fish.
>>
File: mosquito-larva.jpg (146KB, 700x1090px) Image search: [Google]
mosquito-larva.jpg
146KB, 700x1090px
>>2447833
idk pic related doesn't look like a worm to me, some kind of larva maybe?
>>
>>2447866
Oh shoot, that looks a lot like what I got. Only you know, smaller and paler. What is it?

>>2447865
I can do that, but I first need to identify these little shitheads to make sure they are not harmful.
>>
>>2447877
>What is it?
No, wait, I just read the filename. Mosquito larva eh? Doesn't sound impossible, but can they really survive underwater? Should I be concerned?
>>
>>2447880
they live in water kek
>>
>>2447885
Fugg.
At least they don't seem to be parasitic or bad for the fish. Looks like it's okay for the fish to eat them.
I'll just stop dropping fish food in there for a few days and see what happens. If I keep seeing them around, I'll do a big water change and add a cheap betta.
>>
>>2447887
If they are mosquito larva which is shown in the picture than they will just provide food for the fish.
>>
The Arowana finally died press f to pay respect
>>
>>2447930
F
We never even got to know if it was a he or a she. It didn't even have a name.
>>
>>2447930
He was an idiot, putting a log like that in a tank like that. Of course an arowana was going to hurt itself on it sooner or later.
>>
>>2447930
RIP Buddy

f
>>
>>2447930
F

Does that mean he's gonna put the little Arowana in the 2k gallons? Or is he gonna go and buy another big wacky fish for it?
What would you put in there to accompany the Flowerhorn and the stingrays?
>>
Hey /aq/, I'm just curious about how you rinsed your substrate before putting it in your tank. Thanks!
>>
>>2447959
Do you mean rocks or sand?
>>
>>2447974
Both

I got a bag of flourite that I think I'll end rinsing with a colander and a big pot bit by bit.
>>
>>2447974
I use quartz, it's very fine gravel. What I did was put my showerhead in a bucket, and set it to full blast, then pouring in some quartz slowly. The fine dust will pour off with the water, but the substrate itself is heavy enough to not get swept away. When the fountain of gravel starts to reach the top of the bucket you stop the shower, pour off the water, and add it to the tank.

When you first add water to the tank there will be some amount of dust regardless of how you clean the substrate, but running your filter for a day will take care of it. Most of it will either sink into the bottom or end up in the filter. The former is removed over time with your gravel vacuuming, the latter when you clean your filter.
>>
>>2447930
Fuck...

That's fucking sad, goddamnit
>>
What kind of baffles should I go with for a 29g sump connected to a 55g display? It's freshwater, the overflow is a diy pvc hob made from 3/4" pvc pipe in a 1 1/2" weir. The tank is currently housing tinfoil barbs.
>>
>>2448011
baffles aren't needed unless you're filling the sump with filter media, which also isn't necessary if you have a filter.

but if you insist on having them, 1/4" plexi is the correct material and they should be siliconed in place in an up-down-up pattern.
>>
File: IMG-20170705-WA0008.jpg (280KB, 1436x1555px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170705-WA0008.jpg
280KB, 1436x1555px
>Fish Shop Employee here
>worked for almost a decade with mainly tropical but also marine and coldwater

Ask me anything
>>
>>2447937
Yeah for a 20K fish or whatever that was a pretty careless oversight.
>>
>>2448022
Any suggestions on what to put in the tank? Or just leave it bare as a volume expander? Theres just a return pump in it right now.
>>
>>2448029
I was thinking about taking old coffee tables and building custom aquariums inside of them. Or old Tv displays and making lots of custom betta tanks to fit inside.

If I did this, do you think a shop would buy them off of me, or let me sell them in their shop?
>>
>>2448037
I use mine to hold the filter, heater, skimmer, probes, dosing pumps, and topoff plumbing.

Once you get that much crap in there you won't have room for anything else.
>>
>>2448030
People pointed it out in the comments when he was first doing it, and he even acknowledged how dangerous it was, but he did it anyway and now Buddy is dead. He's really got nobody to blame but himself.
>>
File: 20170804_135220.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_135220.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fugg, what do? Too much light? It's just got a cheap LED bar on top that came with the tank, I leave it on for roughly 11 hours a day
>>
He's gone fellas ;-;
>>
>>2448030
I think he was just over confident in the immense volume of the space and the wood would cause no problems. In my opinion, if the wood was a whole lot shorter and wasn't towards the edge of the tank, it might have been fine. Like if they were just smaller pieces around the bottom instead of anywhere near the top if the arowana really remained by the surface level
>>
>>2447937
>>2448123
>>2448030
At the same time, all the internet experts kept saying how practically every fish he's ever kept should have some sort of scaping, whether it be substrate or hardscape or plants.

Were he to listen to people like all of us here or anyone in his comments, all of his fish would be dead by now.

Seriously, do any of you really think you could have kept any of those as alive and healthy as he has over the years? If you think so, you're probably an idiot and way overestimate yourself.
>>
Whenever we make the new Aquarium thread, can we do it in Buddies honor? This shits tearing me up ;_;
>>
>>2447957
>Does that mean he's gonna put the little Arowana in the 2k gallons?
Difficult to say at the moment since the flowerhorn is fairly large. In general though the ultimate blood red is waaaay less skittish than Buddy. Buddy was a pretty neurotic fish.
He would go for a month of not eating any time Joey had to move him (e.g. every time he's had a tank upgrade, he would go for more than a month of not eating).

Conversely the new blood red started eating the day after he got to the old fish room, and when Joey moved him again in his temp tank while he's building out the gallery, he already started eating that same day.
>>
File: 1462945248129225318.png (673KB, 814x1026px) Image search: [Google]
1462945248129225318.png
673KB, 814x1026px
>>2448144
I want to give the man a hug, goddammit!

>>2448156
I second

>>2448159
Amazing how even fish can have personalities to such extent
>>
>>2447229
just do 50% daily water change, and keep their schedule normal, then they should be fine in a week or two
>>
>>2448132
> 11 hours a day
Found your problem. Keep it down to between 5 and 7 hours a day.
>>
>>2447337
I got a dwarf gourami as my 10 gallon centerpiece, and he's super cool. While I was living in a dorm he would get visibly excited when I entered the room and would always try to get my attention and beg for food.
>>
Hey guys, I really want to get into cherry shrimp keeping but I've kinda psyched myself out. I'd like to get a stable breeding population going so I can add shrimp to my planted tanks w/out worrying about losing them all. What sort of setup do you recommend? I have an extra 2.5 gallon, and I ordered a sponge filter and some almond leaves. I've heard the main thing with them is stability, but I don't have room to set up a bigger tank atm. I'm planning on using distilled water to start and getting it really well cycled before getting shrimp. What else can I do to improve their chances? I'm kinda worried because I got 5 from my lfs and kept them in a small hang-on box in the water they came in (planned to gradually switch over to the water from my main tank) with some java moss and other plants, and 4 died within days. The last one only survived for about a month. Was that just due to stress/ temp changes?
>>
>>2448029
I've been doing freshwater for a while but I really want to make the jump to salt water. I just want to keep two clownfish, simple corals and a cleaner shrimp. The one thing that has been stopping me is the seemingly exorbitant price tag and the ro/di units.
Is it possible for me to put together a smaller tank with simple dechlorinated water and some smart amazon shopping without raping my wallet to hell and back? Most starter sets seem to be a rip off compared to their freshwater counterparts.
>>
>>2448251
you want corals? well... you could just buy it from your local fish store.
>>
>>2448268
Is it possible to keep something like frogspawn healthy without ro/di water? Do you have any advice on cheaper lighting?
>>
>>2448219
My guppies are entitled fucking gluttons and they all squirm around in the corner of my tank when I pass by. I keep getting worried they are going to injure themselves/each other.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170804-212832.png (532KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170804-212832.png
532KB, 1440x2560px
>>2448192
Fuck. Well I work about 9 a day. Do they sell outlet timers at Walmart?

ok wtf my captcha is walmart
>>
>>2448251
I hate to be that guy, but if $125 is a lot to you perhaps saltwater isn't going to be your thing. I mean there's a very solid chance your entire tank will die repeatedly, killing a lot more than $125 worth of livestock and rock.
>>2448270
>Is it possible to keep something like frogspawn healthy without ro/di water?
sure, depends on what's in your water though. If you have nitrate and phosphate you're going to have a bad time. Most places have lots of both.
>Do you have any advice on cheaper lighting?
Not him but you're going to be spending $50 or more. Anything cheaper probably won't grow corals. The cheapest setup I ever made was short fluorescent tubes in $10 fixtures I got at the hardware store, but even then I paid $40 for the fixtures and I don't even know what for the actinic and full spectrum bulbs which require constant replacement. LED's are the way to go, and you're going to have to spend a bit for reef lighting.
>>
>>2448281
Wal-mart does in fact have outlet timers, as do most pet stores, lowes, home depot, etc etc etc. They also have programmable power strips of varying size available. I am planning on getting a programmable strip for my tank, honestly. I do have one outlet timer that is currently running my light but it is a bulky one and is making my wiring situation a mess. It also only gives me one timed socket, and if I wanted to invest into CO2 I would have to get another one to run that program, at which point I don't even think the tiny strip I have would even have enough accessible sockets for the heater, filter, and powerhead.
>>
>>2448304
Thank you for the non-condescending and helpful reply. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and save myself some pain and just go for a recommended non-nano setup. I have the money but I've been trying to skimp on an expensive hobby. I just want to be smart about it and not overpay because my local fish stores are rather predatory.
>>
>>2448251
How simple are you talking? Kenya trees, xenia, star polyps, mushrooms, leathers, and a lot of zoanthids are tough guys that can handle decent neglect. Euphyllia's like frogspawn aren't that difficult by coral standards but they can give issues if the water quality degrades. The main reason why ro/di water is necessary in a reef tank is that they can contain some elements that can make algae explode and harmful metals/toxins.

The best lighting option for the price I can give are the LED lights from ebay like mars aqua. They're a bit more expensive than a good t5 setup but man can they grow coral. They also don't heat up your water and you can adjust the intensity of the blues and whites individually to get the best coral growth/color.

A good tip that many people don't give is to not fall for the live rock meme. Live rock has great nitrifying bacteria and some good hitchhikers, but they can carry of shiton of horrible migraine inducing pests. Not to mention it's super expensive by the pound. A better option is to start with dry rock which is WAY cheaper than LR and you wont get any crazy pests. You can seed your tank with bacterias in a bottle that actually work to get your biological filtration going. Places like Bulk Reef Supply carry a ton of selection of rock for a good price. If you want some of the beneficial hitchhikers like pods, there are many places online that you can buy them and seed your tank to add bio diversity. With the money you save buy not buying LR, you can buy better equipment too.

Overall, just do a A LOT of research before you start investing in anything and always look at reviews. Saltwater can be a pain, but it's really rewarding because ocean critters are really fun.
>>
>>2448325
I would personally go for a 40g kit with built in skimmer and reef lighting. Then I'd get a 4 stage RO/DI unit on ebay. After that I'd order $200 worth of live rock online, preferably from someone that farms it in the ocean. After that's all up and running I'd get the clowns. Wait 3 months and if params are good I'd spring for the shrimp and the frogspawn.
>>
>>2448337
>A good tip that many people don't give is to not fall for the live rock meme.
the reason you don't get that tip is because there's very specific types of pods that eat cyanobacteria and dinoflagellates, and you can't buy them online. You have to get rock to get those guys.

If you're lucky and never get either one then rock is an unnecessary expense. But most SW keepers will tell you the worms and corals and barnacles and macros and sponges you get on rock are the most interesting part of a reef tank.
>>
>>2448325
Honestly most of my FUCK I WASTED MONEY moments in the hobby have been from buying in a regular pet store and failing to check Amazon or even pet store online storefronts for better prices or price matching. There's only one real LFS here and I buy stuff from her for more than I'd pay to get it elsewhere as my way of supporting her and repaying her for advice, I haven't got any fish from her yet but I am planning on sourcing most or all of my livestock from her in the future as well, in hopes that her sources are better than Ye Olde Petsmart.
>>
>>2448339
You don't need pods to eat cyano and algae for you if you maintain good water quality, lighting cycle, and low nutrients. I do agree that some hitchhikers are awesome though, but I prefer the peace of mind of having more control what's introduced into a tank. I know there's always a risk of introducing things from what you put in like corals, fish, ect but it's easier to spot things especially if you're only starting with frags. In the end it's a personal preference on how you want to setup a tank. I was just giving anon an option on how he can save money.
>>
>>2448340
This, a fliter that's 50 at PetSmart is 30 online, it's ridiculous.
>>
>>2448351
Even Petco online is cheaper than the actual stores for the same products.
>>
>>2448318
Cool just got back from Walmart, I set it from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm, we'll see how that goes. If they don't get enough light they turn yellow, isn't that right?
>>
>>2448353
So im setting up a 10g, and I'm thinking either dwarf gourami or paradise fish center piece.
pros/cons of either?
I'm thinking a little platy school to go with it, but I'm open to ideas for bottom dwellers/cleaners
>>
>>2448042
No. Unless you offer guarantees because last thing a shop wants is to sell stock that somehow breaks and cannot recuperate its losses after replacing the item.

You'd have to mass produce the item.
>>
What kind of plants should i get for a low light setup w/ ferts and co2? I love how water wisteria looks, and maybe stauro repens since i've heard it's okay with low light. I'm not entirely sure whether the stuff I like will grow well. Any thoughts?

Also i've only ever had platies, but I really want schooling fish. I was thinking of getting some pseudomugils. Is 20 gallons gonna be enough for a small school?
>>
>>2447930
>>2448155

whose arowana is this? have not heard about it before and am curious
>>
>>2448402
King od DIY on YouTube
>>
File: images-6.jpg (5KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images-6.jpg
5KB, 224x225px
Welp...of of the ryukin I got went belly up and is struggling to breathe.

I'm pretty positive its ich..I've been doing 50% water changes and using kordon rapid cure. Tonight I did another water changed and added salt.

I don't know if that plus the medicine is going to be a bad combo, but he's so swollen...I felt like I had to do something else.

Here's to hoping he makes it through the night.
>>
Damn i just found out Joey's aro died.

Stay strong my nigga
>>
File: 20170805_082906.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170805_082906.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I just goy my 75g planted tank moved to my new house. Set it up and everything. The fish and plants are doing great. The snails on the other hand arent, the water is too soft and that is somthing im taking care of right now, BUT i jiat noticed these little white bug like things crawling all over one of my snails, now this snail in particular is in bad shape. I have them both in my 10g tank to get better.

My question is, wtf are these little bugs
>>
>>2448479
It's sperm, stop jizzing in your tank
>>
>>2448481
Thank you so much for your help.
>>
>buy liquid fry food
>basically orange jizz
If I mix tabasco into my jizz I bet I could save some money here.
>>
>>2448479
they are ostracods

that snell is toast but it probably wasn't going to recover anyway. In reefs ostracods and a amphipods are reported to eat (not parasitize necessarily, but just outright eat) the mantles of giant clams and other bivalves. A healthy snail should not be bothered by them and they are otherwise harmless, even beneficial microdetritovores.
>>
File: 1501945307480426333606.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1501945307480426333606.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2448506
Yeah that snail is a gonner, thank fully my other larger snail is doing ok. Any tips on maker my water harder? For starters im going to the store to get an additive and also try putting some lime stone in there for a period of time. I would say i could leave them in as decoration, but it dosnt really look good with my Ohko stones.
>>
>>2448509
Equilibrium. Don't waste your time and money with anything else. I think a bottle is 11-15 dollars and it will last you the life of that tank
>>
Also note that a pinch of equilibrium will harden your water and you will almost certainly never need to add more. When water evaporates dissolved minerals stay in the tank and even when adding soft water you will still be hardening the water by putting more minerals in. You would have to do massive water changes very frequently before you eventually needed to drop another pinch in
>>
>>2448460
He seems really broken up about it. Doesn't help that half the video's comments are "lol its just a fish" or asking him to eat it.
I hope it doesn't kill his love and passion of aquariums. I wonder what he'll have as his next long-term favorite. Hopefully not that peice of shit flowerhorn.
>>
>>2448509
What I did was buy a piece of cuttlebone. Bird keepers buy them for parrots, I guess they're healthy for their beaks or something, but dropping a piece of it in your aquarium will keep the water at a hardness that's pretty much perfect for snails, shrimp and African cichlids in my experience. Costs almost nothing too.
>>
>>2448543
He already has another arowana. It's younger and red. He'll probably make a big fuss about Buddy's death, get some donations out of it, and then move the red arowana into the twokilogallon tank.
>>
>>2448543
>I hope it doesn't kill his love and passion of aquariums.

>has a 2,000 gallon tank
>one fish dies
>lose passion
lol.. he still has those squid and goldfish in there
>>
How much does a saltwater tank smell? When I visit my LFS there's always a very strong smell, but then they have a lot of aquariums too. If I were to have one in my studio apartment, would I be able to smell it from across the room? (Five metres, 16 feet)
>>
>>2448615
Mine have lit so it doesnt really smell
>>
>>2448625
Lit? Litter? Do you mean a skimmer?
>>
>>2448632
i mean i close the top. and yes I have a skimmer.
>>
>>2448636
Oh, okay! Yeah, alright, I can deal with the smell if it's very little. Guess I'll get saltwater.
>>
>>2448646
>Guess I'll get saltwater.
Thats a bad idea if thats your attitude towards it that shits a life commitment
>>
>>2447932
f

we knew it was a guy
He said it was named it Buddy, iirc he referred to it as such, but he never told us until he died.
>>
>>2448228
does your ferts have a lot of copper in it
at small doses it's fine, and most are shrimp safe, but feels like a water issue to me
unless your lfs had dying shrimp.
>>
i switched half the cycled biomedia out of a eheim 2215 into a new 2215 for a new tank... how long should it take to cycle? a week?
>>
>>2447932
>We never even got to know if it was a he or a she. It didn't even have a name.
We've known he was a he for years bro. The only reason why anyone keep female arowanas are for breeding.
>>
>>2449046
It is cycled for about half of the bioload of your old tank.

E.g. if you put about half the fish of your old tank in the new tank, it would be completely cycled.

Likewise your old tank is now at 50% capacity.

It doesn't take a long time to propagate the bacteria once there is already a stable colony.
>>
>>2448547
>He'll probably make a big fuss about Buddy's death, get some donations out of it,
Are you confusing DIY King with Twitch.tv?
>>
>>2448579
>lol.. he still has those squid and goldfish in there
Do you mean rays and flowerhorn? His goldfish has been rehomed to a friend and he only has his four rays, ultimate blood red arowana, one flowerhorn, a handful of african shell dwellers, and his nano saltwater tank (two ocellaris and some misc stuff).
>>
>>2449052
so like a week and not a month yeah?
>>
>>2449056
Assuming you are stocking an equally sized tank at the same capacity as your old one on the very first day, probably two weeks. Definitely not a month.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. In all actuality you could probably pretend the tank is fully cycled day 1 and you wouldn't notice anything weird.

If you are upgrading to a significantly larger tank then, yes, some caution is advised.
>>
the cycled tank was a 17 gallon with just a honey gourami and a few tetras in it
the new one is a 9 gallon and i've moved the tetras out of the 17gallon

wish cycling wasn't a thing... had my order all ready to go on liveaquaria, some danilo choprai and a couple scarlet badis... since i have planarians in my 3rd tank i figured i'd try the scarlet badis again

but yeah the choprai came off sale and my order increased by $30... they have free shipping on $100 orders but i'm sure that will be gone by the time i can house the fish...
/blog
>>
>>2449060
>>2449056
>>2449052
>>2449046

I think the bb varieties take between 7 and 14 hours to double in number, provided there is enough food for them, depending on the particular species of bacteria. I am going to try and find the numbers again.
>>
>>2447865
please don't be a retard and buy a betta just for eating up harmless detrivores, especially when you're still cycling
matter of fact don't go to /aq/ and instead go to reddit
inb4 >reddit
i rather trusts idiots on there than here
>>
>>2449075
they are mosquito larva, who the fuck would want those?
>>
>>2449069
Just order all the fish dude. Little secret to freshwater tanks: you can just keep doing water changes.

So even if your tanks don't propagate the bacteria colonies fast enough, you can just keep doing water changes until they do. Not hard unless you are really messing with your water parameters (e.g. you live in a shitty place with super hard water and need super soft water, or your tap's pH is 7.4 and you need 6.5). Just match temp.
>>2449071
That'd be really interesting data to have.
>>
>>2449110
https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Nitrosomonas

days? for Nitrosomonas

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Nitrospira

12-32 hours for Nitrospira

So unless you spike the ammonia so high that even the Nitrosomonas turning it into nitrites is not bringing it down enough for the Nitrospira to grow and accomodate the load, you shouldn't have a nitrite spike from increasing the bioload.
>>
>>2449130
>bringing it down enough for the Nitrospira to grow
Friendly reminder that Nitrospira are found in marine and metal salt environments and don't live in freshwater. The bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate are "Nitrospira-Like."

this has 2 ramifications-
1. if you're buying Nitrospira for the freshwater tank they all die from exposure to freshwater.
2. they require the prior establishment of Nitrosomonas species to convert ammonia to nitrate for them to consume, a process that takes weeks, so they all die anyways while waiting for nitrite production to begin.

either way introducing Nitrospira to your tank does nothing, they all die.
>>
>>2449110
>That'd be really interesting data to have
it's only useful if you know how many bacteria your tank can support and how many bacteria that you introduce manage to lodge in the filter and survive. Also how much feed is present to support them. And of course how many are dying and how often.

Since all of these variables are variable and thus vary, the information isn't particularly useful.

Fortunately it doesn't matter much since while the rate of reproduction is exponential assuming unlimited food and oxygen, the number of iterations is relatively large. Meaning no matter how you do it the process falls into the same window of 6-8 weeks if done correctly.
>>
Hey so I got some fish and some live plants that were in the same tank as them.

The fish had ich, so how do I make sure it's off the plants? Currently just have the plants in a separate bowl with regular tap water.
>>
>>2449169
I sure hope the tap water was boiled before you added the plants or they will die.
>>
>>2449180
Why would the plants die from tap water?
>>
>>2449189
I don't know about yours country tap water but mine has a lot of chlorine

I basically use filtered(drinking water) for my tank
>>
>>2449194
Well yea it's got chlorine, but I thought that goes out of the water in a few hours.
>>
>>2449200
Might as well be safe and use the cleanest water possible right?

Sometimes the water has pest killers that will kill your fish/plants and sometimes they don't and its full of pest eggs and shit
>>
>>2449209
I would hope the towns supply of drinking water wouldn't be so harsh as to kill a plant...

I can see a fish because it's basically breathing it in, but a plant? And especially when I'm not adding new, more chlorinated water
>>
>>2449212
I mean if it's drinkable then it's pretty safe I guess.
>>
>>2449214
Well yea, most tap water is...

Still doesn't answer my question though.
>>
>>2449218
If your question was "why would plants die from tap water" then the answer is sometimes, in the water, they put this chemical thing that kill pest and they are harmful to plants and fish. Better be safe than sorry.
>>
>>2449075
>>2449084
It's okay, I decided to let the fuckers be as of now, seeing how they are not harmful to the quality of the water or anything. I'll just complete the cycle, then vac the gravel and do a big water change, and then add the fish as I normally would. If any of them survive, fuck it, they'll just be fish snacks.
>>
>>2448545
Sweeeet, im gonna try that today. Thanks for the advice famalam
>>
>>2448858
Nope, I don't think so. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my substrate (seachem flourite), that's the only thing that really changed from the pet store to my tank.
>>
>>2449318
If you're worried about your tank becoming a mosquito hatchery, get the ones you have now out with a fish net. They can't breathe underwater, so they'll all be gathered up top if they really are mosquito larvae. Next, make sure the surface of the water is always disturbed to stop girl mosquitos from dumping their eggs in it.
>>
>>2449321
Don't dump the entire cuttlebone in at once, it'll look like shit. Break off a piece about the size of two fingernails and drop that in instead, and store the remaining bone someplace dry. If you see the bit in the tank getting small or dirty, you can scoop it out and drop a new piece in.
>>
>>2449349
Oh, and make sure you get one without any additives. No idea what "parrot feather grease" or whatever might do to fish. Also, it might float for the first couple of days, but after that it'll sink.
>>
>>2449348
I tried netting a couple of them when I first noticed them, but then I realized there are too many for me to try and scoop them up.
When I first installed the filter it offered some good surface disturbance but it kinda died down after a few days because the water intake started to clog with some floating gravel. I cleaned it and placed the filter higher and the surface disturbance is way better now.
My biggest problem is not having a hood on the tank right now. I'm gonna get a clear acrylic sheet soon.
>>
>>2449357
Then just wait. Once you add fish the mosquito larvae won't last long.
>>
>>2449357
Why the FUCK did you or do you have larvae in there to begin with? Is your aquarium outside? Did you use garbage as substrate? Literally what.
>>
>>2449422
It's pretty hot where I live and mosquitoes are pretty common. A little fucker probably flew in from an open window and laid her eggs.
What I want to know is where the FUCK you live where mosquitoes are completely non-existent. Alaska?
>>
>>2449425
No I live in California. I had mosquito larvae in my empty 30 gallon. But that was sitting on the side of my house for like 6 months filled with rain water, plastic shavings, previously live rock, and a bunch of other nasty shit.
>>
>>2449272
>>2449218
>>2449214
>>2449212
>>2449209
>>2449200
>>2449194
>>2449189
>>2449180
There's this thing that gets mentioned in every one of these threads; it's called water conditioner. No need to wait for chlorine to go away or boiling (seriously if you depend on boiling to get rid of chlorine, does that mean you boil all your water for a simple water change too? You must have a tiny tank).
>>
>>2446035
Is 8 goldfish too much for a 1 gallon tank? They are the ones with the big eyeballs lol. They are really small ones and I run the water through a coffee filter once a week to keep it clean.
>>
>>2449437
A coffee filter? Are you fucking retarded? Have you never heard of a sponge filter? Always use dish washing sponges to wash your tank water. I like to keep a bit of soap on them, to better scrub the algae off from the glass.
>>
>>2449438
is bar keepers friend or lime away better for cleaning fish tank? Also I have a bit of gravel in the bottom and I take it out and soak it in bleach once in a while to keep bacteria off.
>>
>>2449440
What I like to do is add half a bottle of Super Reprosolve once a week. It keeps the tank, decorations and fish sparkly clean.
>>
>>2449437
Fucking retard, your fish will literally asphyxiate and die in a few days. Are you the feng shui faggot from the other thread?

First of all, even ONE goldfish is too much for a 1 gallon """""""tank""""""". I'd hesitate to even put a single shrimp in one gallon. In case you didn't know, goldfish can and will get fucking gigantic. Like, the size of both your palms gigantic.
Secondly, a coffee filter does literally nothing. You don't just filter your water for random dirt particles, you need biological filtration.
Thirdly, doing a water change once a week is pretty much useless when you don't have a filter and don't allow your tank to cycle. I bet you don't even fucking use new water. I bet you just run the dirty water through a coffee filter and reuse it, right? Do I even need to ask if you use a water conditioner for tap water chlorine? Of course not.

>>2449438
Don't even humor him. The retard is gonna believe you.
>>
File: baito.webm (3MB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
baito.webm
3MB, 1440x810px
>>2449437
>>2449440
>>2449444
>>
>>2449446
Woosh!
>>
>>2449446
>Fucking retard, your fish will literally asphyxiate and die in a few days.
What are you talking about? My fish are fine and they swim around a lot. They have so much energy they bump into the glass and even jump out of the water sometimes lol, they are healthy and athletic.

>I even need to ask if you use a water conditioner for tap water chlorine
LOL why the fuck would I take chlorine out of the water? I'ts there to keep it clean. It's put in there for a reason. IT's dangerous to drink water that hasn't been conditioned with chlorine

>>2449444
>What I like to do is add half a bottle of Super Reprosolve once a week.
Thanks for answering seriously instead of being dumb asshole and just trolling me for no reason. I'll pick some up next time I'm at the store and try this out.
>>
>>2449444
>industrial degreaser
holy fucking shit you retard
>>
File: IMG_0948.gif (1MB, 840x564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0948.gif
1MB, 840x564px
>>2449446
Did you really type all that shit to obvious bait? 8 goldfish wouldn't even fit in 1 gallon. God you're fuckin dumb. You're the one humoring him by replying with an essay. Fucking tard.
>>
>leave this thread for a day
>suddenly it's turned into this
Guise... pls....
>>
In an effort to combat the green water in my aquarium, I added about 8 weeping willow branches.
>>
>>2449476
I've read in many places that a UV sterilizer works miracles in this very specific case (many people incorrectly think it will solve traditional algae problems like BBA), if you want to go nuclear on that sucker.
>>
>>2449478
I was looking at those yesterday. I wish I had a friend who could let me borrow theirs, I don't want to shell out $ on something I will only use once in a while. There is something called TWINSTAR that I was looking into, but it doesn't kill algae, only prevents it. Joey made one on his YT, but he only showed how it worked, he doesn't actually use it. So, I will try the willow branches for a week or so and see what happens.
>>
>>2449084
OP's picture is mosquito larvae but the wiggly worms they described aren't you arrogant retard
>>
>>2449556
sure
>>
show you fish fire from a lighter and see how he reacts
>>
Should I get a betta to help with my snail problem? Or a loach or something? How effective is the lettuce method? To be honest I want to get rid of snails completely
>>
>>2449654
>I want to get rid of snails completely
So no assassin snails then?
>>
>>2449654
is copper not an option?
>>
>>2449435
>>2449272
>>2449218

Guys, my original question was just how to rid the plants of ich. I was being lazy when I tossed them in the bowel because I was more concerned with treating the fish. I don't really care if the plants melt or something, but once the fish is cured, I would like to use the plants.
>>
I have a betta in a little 5 gallon planted tank, and I was thinking about getting a tank mate for him that would help with algae, but im not sure what would be good in such a small tank
He has done well previously with some cories, mollies, and some feeder fish, but that was in a larger tank
Any suggestions?
>>
>>2449681
just dump some h202 in there with the plant
>>
>>2449688
How about a couple of snails?
>>
>>2449670
It's an option I wasn't aware of. Is it a solution that you dose?

>>2449662
I don't care if I have snails as long as they don't breed out of control
>>
>>2449744
the assassin snails would keep the other snail population under control.

https://youtu.be/bmhneZL9IKM
>>
>>2449744
>>2449746
Assassin snails create a problem of their own though: they're snails and they reproduce nearly as much as normal snails.

They'll start cannibalizing each other after a while when they get rid of your other snails, and it'll be horrific.
>>
File: IMG_2760.jpg (2MB, 2446x3195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2760.jpg
2MB, 2446x3195px
>PetCo
>>
>>2449808
They claim he was a surrender that grew up with little fish and totally won't eat them. Free shrugs.
>>
>>2449808
you know sometimes I worry the petco I work at isn't doing a great job, and then I see shit like this
>>
>>2448144
That asshole probably enjoyed it. Read any video title and it's click bait.

He killed the Asian as a way to get more views.
>>
>>2449758
>>2449746
Alright well I put some lettuce in there, gonna try to get some snails that way. I'm just going to try to keep their population down for now until I figure out how to eradicate them completely. I'll have to read about the copper thing
>>
File: 20170807_002728.jpg (4MB, 3827x1864px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_002728.jpg
4MB, 3827x1864px
After a trim. Got rid of the 3 sparkling gouramis, they were huge assholes.
I'm interested in killifish but am not sure how compatible they'd be with the current stock.
x7 chili/pheonix Rasbora, x7 cpd danio, x5 amano shrimp, x1 peacock gudgeon, x1 Scarlett badi.
Which killifish would you recommend? I want something that stays snail like the rest of these gosh, maybe a little bigger to stand out. It's a 20g long.
>>
>>2449948
Thats a lot of snail
>>
>>2449954
I don't mind them. Little ramshorns keep things nice and clean and their babies keep my badi nice and plump.
>>
>>2449732
I never thought about snails. What kind would I get? And do they escape real easily? I've never had them before so I dont know
>>
>>2449968
How do you get your snails to not eat your plants?
>>
>>2450002
They only seem to eat the dead bits of plant, which I don't mind. That, and uneaten food.
>>
>>2449929
Side bonus, he now gets to put the prettier red arowana in the big tank, to lure even more people in.
>>
>>2446035
i have a small 500l pond. its covered and im thinking of getting some fish for it. would some gold fish be a good idea? i know they grow bigger in a pond but i figure its an alright size maybe? probably establish plants first to control the nitrogen, and ill get some snails too to eat the algaes
>>
>>2450343
Kinda small, would need a filter I think, fancy or regulars? Carp can/will eat snails.
>>
>>2449948
>stays snail like the rest of these gosh
Lol.

It's a little hard to recommend killifish for community tanks, since few websites list details on their temperaments and just suggest keeping them in species-only tanks.

Aphyosemion and Nothobranchius killies are supposed to be very peaceful and get about 2-3". Nithos only live about a year, though.
Epiplatys annulannulatus is a very peaceful fish, and pretty easy to care for, but they stay very small, less than an inch long.

If you'd just like a centerpiece fish perhaps a ram cichlid honey gourami would work.
>>
>>2449987
There are a few different ones you could do, but nerite and apple/mystery snails are the most popular. Nerite snails aren't as dirty and do a much better job as algae eaters, so one or two of those would be better suited for a five gallon. Careful of the horned nerite snails, because the horns can tear the betta's fins if he's not too bright.

Another option would be some shrimp. Some bettas will try to eat shrimp while others will leave them alone. Ghost and amano shrimp are large enough that they're usually okay.

>>2450343
500L is large enough for two or three goldfish, but I wouldn't do more than that. Not only do they get rather large (often 25-30cm in a pond), but they're dirty fish in general.

You'll definitely be better off with a filter in something that size if you want any kind of fish.

What kind of weather do you have? If you just want some movement in the pond there are probably some smaller, though perhaps more bland looking fish that would do okay.
>>
>>2450631
I was thinking of shrimp because my lps had some in, but when I talked to someone about it they said they wouldn't eat the algae
Would a nerite and a few shrimp be ok though?
>>
>>2450639
Ghost shrimp don't eat algae. Cherry shrimp are pretty good, but they're small enoughbto end up food and brightly colored, so they make easy targets. Amano shrimp are top tier algae eaters and decently sized, too.

Yeah, five gallons is big enough for a nerite and a couple shrimp with the betta.
>>
File: IMG_2762.jpg (1MB, 2446x3144px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2762.jpg
1MB, 2446x3144px
Update.

The tiny Fantails are MIA. Oscar seems much happier.
>>
>>2449929
>>2450293
>kill off an extremely expensive fish that he raised for years, which you can see in his video history, for a temporary small bump in views and then doesn't even hold any donations/fundraisers
Yup, makes perfect sense.

Even if he got a million extra views (which he didn't even come close to) and he was able to make money off of views at the rate prior to YouTube ad-pocalypse, it still wouldn't have come remotely close to the cost of replacing that fish, let alone the cost of maintenance over the three years he's had it.

Stay in school, bro.
>>
>>2450016
Yeah this is something people don't account for. Many snail species much prefer dead plant to live ones.

Also that's a nice looking badis you got there.
>>
Do you wash your balls /aq/? I haven't in months and now they're starting to stink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGERCWKouE
>>
Is there a way of getting rid of ammonia besides using water conditioner? My tap water has so much I'm being forced to use distilled with a buffer. However, I would like to be able to use my tap water in my house for when I'm back down from college. Thanks!
>>
>>2450740
>Is there a way of getting rid of ammonia besides using water conditioner?
biofilter or plants.
>>
>>2450728
Those balls are much larger than I thought. Either that or that dude has Trump hands.

>>2450740
A lot, if not most, water conditioners don't do shit to ammonia. You have to use something specifically meant for removing ammonia. Conditioners tend to be really only for chlorine/chloramine.

Do you mean nitrate?
>>
>>2450740
>>2450764
Most water conditioners nowadays (in the US, at least) will bind ammonia into a nontoxic state temporarily, like 24-48 hours. They don't remove it from the water, and neither will liquid "ammonia removers."

Resin based chemical filtration such as zeolite and Purigen can remove ammonia from the water, as can fast-growing live plants like Hygrophila and water sprite.
>>
> Got a 10 gallon without a lid and a filter

I know jack shit, I just have doggos. Going to look up info on setting up a new tank but what fish should I look into and how many can I fit into this bitch without going overboard? I wanted a betta but I hear they sometimes jump, so I don't want to risk it.

What substrate/light brands should I look into?
>>
File: GGN.jpg (936KB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
GGN.jpg
936KB, 3648x2736px
Just starting a saltwater tank here, two questions

>How deep should my substrate be?
My tanks 10 gallons, 20.1x10.1 inches. How deep should my substrate be for corals and anemones? Any explanation would also be nice since I'm new at this

>How can I keep a nudibranch?
I've heard that they're very hard to keep, so does anyone have experience with them? What they eat, how to care for them best etc. I really would like one, but I'm not going to purchase one without knowing how to keep it alive and happy.
>>
>>2450802
Don't put killifish in a lidless tank.

I'm not going to waste time talking to you about cycling, stocking, etc. You should spend time researching and start very small. Be happy with lots of plants and a few small fish to start with. Most people fuck things up by constantly adding and fiddling with their tanks instead of letting them settle.
>>
>>2450743
What kind of plants do you recommend? I'm just worried that if I have to do a large water change for some reason that the amount of ammonia will kill the fish before it's eaten by the bacteria or plants.
>>2450764
I have Primes water conditioner and it says it'll remove ammonia. I don't think it really does however. No, I mean ammonia.
>>2450787
Ah I guess it solves my earlier problem. What other plants do you recommend, and how do I set them up in the tank? I have some gravel substrate but that's about it. I know next to nothing about setting up plants in aquariums.
>>
>>2450812
You should use Prime or another conditioner to remove ammonia. Don't take a chance and think plants or a biofilter are going to prevent acute exposure to ammonia,
>>
>>2450828
Yeah that's my main concern. I don't think my conditioner is pulling it's weight is the thing. I'm gonna use them in conjunction with my conditioner.
>>
File: 71snvdlj6FL._SL1500_.jpg (198KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
71snvdlj6FL._SL1500_.jpg
198KB, 1500x1500px
Help. What CO2 regulators do you guys use?

I'm using the cheap Fluval Nano regulator for now but it is shitty and keeps losing pressure. Which I think might just be because of the small canisters. But yeah, what do you guys use? I plan to keep it on 24/7 so I don't really care for a solenoid.
>>
Setting up a 10 gallon, probably not planted but with lots of rocks.

Any recommendations? I'm just looking for some decent species to consider.
>>
>>2450803
>How deep should my substrate be for corals and anemones?
People have written entire books on this question.

Traditionally we used deep sand beds, several inches deep. This allowed room for anoxic areas that housed denitrifying bacteria. They metabolized nitrate into nitrogen and other waste products such as hydrogen sulfide. This coincidentally produced a locally acidic environment deep in the sand that dissolved the aragonite and added calcium to the tank. It further provides a substrate for all kinds of worms and pods to live and reproduce, consuming detritus and keeping the tank clean.

This is called a deep sand bed, or DSB. It evolved to the Jaubert Plenum, a mechanical construction about 6 inches deep that did essentially the same things in larger ways. Just like the DSB, the plenum also releases poisonous gasses into the water column though.

So some other enterprising germans began keeping corals and anemones in bare-bottom tanks with no sand. They added calcium using Kalkwasser, a calcium supplement they made. This process also works remarkably well. In time they began automating the production of Kalk by hooking CO2 infusers into reactor tanks full of aragonite and feeding the resulting liquor directly into the tank via a dosing pump.

America aquarists reasoned that since both techniques work, combining them badly must work even better. So they do a little of both. A sand bed that's not quite deep enough to do the denitrification of a DSB or plenum along with the Kalkwasser or CO2 reactor that avoids the problems of the sand bed but isn't actually used for that purpose by aquarists.

So anyways, for biofiltration It probably doesn't matter how deep your sand is as long as you're using reef supplements and/or doing regular water changes. At that point all that matters is looks and what your animals require. And all your animals require is an inch or two. You can keep anemones without sand, but they do seem to prefer it if you have it.
>>
>>2450803
different nudis eat different things, and most of those things won't live in your 10g in sufficient quantity to keep any nudibranch alive.

However because most nudibranchs can't survive in the normal aquarium, there are very few types available in fish stores. Those that are available tend to eat very common types of aquarium algae. However they also become quite large and even when small probably won't find enough food to survive in a 10g for long. But if you want to research them I would start by finding what slugs are available to buy and then reading up on all 3 types. It shouldn't take long.
>>
>>2450803
The bigger problem you'll find keeping nems and corals in a 10g is that anemones roam around the tank stinging and sometimes killing corals. This is a problem even in huge tanks, but will probably be a disaster in a tiny tank.

also commercially available anemones will all grow large enough to entirely fill a 10g if for some reason you manage to keep them alive and healthy. Most of them come from the store big enough to pretty much cover a 10g entirely when they stretch out. They will kill your corals.
>>
File: 81qhAv7HAJL._SL1500_.jpg (267KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81qhAv7HAJL._SL1500_.jpg
267KB, 1500x1500px
Okay I just got unbanned. Been wanting to ask this for three days.

I have a kiddie pool like pic related outside, a couple months ago I threw some Chirostomas in there and so far I've only had one death out of like 35.
I filled it with rain/well water and I don't have filters or pumps there, so everything's about as natural as it's gonna get. I'm guessing that's enough for non-tropical fish but the problem is that my house gets cold as SHIT at night.
Talking about 3 to 8 Cº and I'm not thinking about getting any heaters or anything like that until I can find a cheap solar panel to connect everything to.

If I put some regular plecos in there will they survive or do they need warmer water? There's a lot of algae I wanna get rid of so if the temperature is okay those little cunts will be happy as a motherfucker.
Also I want to make an experiment. The water is green to the point where you can't see anything. I plan to just throw them in there and see how much they grow in 6 months.
>>
lol if you guys think wal-mart fish is bad or keeping bettas in little cups is cruel you should see how they sell them here.
I'm in Asia atm and they have people riding around on bikes with loads of fish in plastic bags hanging from these racks on the back of them.
big fish too, and loads of them crammed into a little plastic sack in the high heat

looks like pic related
>>
>>2449200
>not just using dechlorinator
Chlorine evaporates in 24-48hrs, yet chloramine doesn't and just stays in the water, killing fish and plants. It's much easier to buy dechlorinator than buying water
>>
>>2450878
Would you prefer a community tank or a single species tank?
The size of your tank and its lack of plants and hiding space limits your choices, but you still have options.
1) a single betta.
2) a school of of fish like tetras or barbs (5-6 of them)
3) a combination of a small school and a relatively bigger, non-aggressive fish as a centerpiece (like a dwarf gourami)
Something like that. You gotta make sure to put only very pacifist species in there, as the lack of hiding space will definitely result in fights between your fishes.
I am currently doing a similar setup; 10g with only rocks and some moss and I'll stock it with 5 neon tetras and a female dwarf gourami, and maybe a snail or two.
>>
>>2451020
>a third world shithole does third world shithole things so we should accept low standards in a first world country
>>
>>2450971
No.
>>
>>2451121
Informative.
>>
>>2451118
Definitely a community tank. 3 is most likely. I'm tempted to get another Gourami as I did the same with my 20g.

They're just so cool.
>>
>>2450971
>tropical fish
>cold water
pick one
>>
>>2451212
Learn to read.
>>
>>2451217
pleco are tropical fish
>>
File: 20170808_134855.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_134855.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2450724
Thanks! I originally got her and the peacock gudgeon with the intention of getting each a husband and sister-wife. But now I can't find either for sale near me. Hopefully I'll find some soon. Incidentally I finally managed to snap some decent pics of the fusion so I'm dumping them.
Side note: how the FUCK do I get these pictures to stop coming out sideways?
>>
File: X1fXrdg.jpg (579KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
X1fXrdg.jpg
579KB, 3024x4032px
>>2451272
>>
>>2450877
I was looking into that one too. Tell me how it goes if you get one.
>>
File: 20170808_135003.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_135003.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2451274
She's such a ham
>>
File: 20170808_152327.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_152327.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Whelp, time to burn it all down I guess.
>>
File: 20170808_152551_crop_1007x756.jpg (530KB, 1007x756px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_152551_crop_1007x756.jpg
530KB, 1007x756px
>>2451289
Oh God it noticed me
>>
>>2451290
I felt relief for a second until it climbed out
>>
>>2451299
I don't know what to do about this thing
>>
>>2451301
Disgusting
>>
>>2451302
Help
>>
Is it possible to dim LED lights?
I have a beamswork but want to use it for a lower light aquarium. It's way too bright for the set up I want and I don't want to have to buy a new light. I tried with a dimmer I already own and it didn't work
>>
>>2451304
you're fucked
>>
>>2451314
yes, change the voltage by adding a variable resistor. idk what setup you have though
>>
>>2450631
weather is usually nice, never drops below 10c really. sometimes 6 in winter at night. summers are killers though, reaching the 40s sometimes
>>
>>2451328
cool thanks
It's the Beamswork DA 6500K 0.50W Series, just wanted it for a low tech setup though
>>
>>2451304
Aww cmon it's just a fuzzy boi

let him live with you
>>
>>2451304
>>2451349
I agree, he's kinda cute
>>
File: 20170808_124636.jpg (3MB, 3287x2236px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_124636.jpg
3MB, 3287x2236px
What would these white tips on my Tetra's tail fin be from?
>>
>>2451304
I-I want a kawaii spider bro to hang out and watch my fish with...
>>
clown loaches are cute
>>
>>2451188
Not the other anon, but you'd want a very small schooling fish to make it work as best as possible.
A lot of people will say 10 gallons is too small to do much with, but there are actually a ton of different fish and combinations that would work in a ten gallon tank. It depends on how much money, time, and effort you're willing to put into the tank.

Boraras species and CPDs are commonly used. Neon tetras and white clouds are other popular choices, if you don't mind keeping something considered a bit pedestrian. Endlers livebearers and clown killifish aren't schooling fish, but would work for a small fish. Keep in mind the white clouds and the endlers would be more boisterous than the others.

For the centerpiece, a platy or molly would be easy to care for, though, again, kind of pedestrian. A small gourami like a betta, honey gourami, dwarf gourami, a pair/trio of sparkling gourami would be interesting. More exotic choices would be things like scarlet badis, peacock gudgeon, or some of the slightly larger killifish like nothos.

You could also do something completely different, like a trio of shell-dwelling cichlids, a brackish tank with bumblebee gobies, or an invert tank with shrimp and micro crabs.
>>
>>2451332
Lol, sounds like the California valley where I live.
People keep goldfish here without much issue as long as the pond has a deep spot (~50cm) and gets a good amount of shade during the day.
>>
>>2451444
its surrounded by plants but theres an hour or two of intense sun in summer (will probs put a tarp over it).
its funny, i never really considered goldfish a pond fish. until recently, always thought of it as a small tank fish even though i knew they grew larger
>>
new thread
>>2451456
>>
>>2451120
I'm not saying that at all, I just think its funny
fish are very popular pets here and generally well respected by owners so there are also more legitimate shops who take good care of their fish.
ironically I see koi who get better treatment than the dogs do.
>>
File: DSC_0068.jpg (52KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0068.jpg
52KB, 800x533px
>>2451443
I'd add Chili Rasbora to the list
>>
>>2451515
Chili rasbora are a Boraras species.
>>
File: 20170808_135921.jpg (665KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170808_135921.jpg
665KB, 4032x3024px
>>2451515
Make sure you aren't sold Phoenix Rasbora as chili. Happens quite a bit.
>>
>>2451304
jumping spiders are the broest dude
>>
>>2451720
Hasn't *!
>>
>>2450802
Why not just make a DIY lid? I helped a friend setting one up, you just need plastic corners and mosquito mesh
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.