[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - aquarium general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 347
Thread images: 53

File: trigger-fish-in-dark-aquarium.jpg (305KB, 900x495px) Image search: [Google]
trigger-fish-in-dark-aquarium.jpg
305KB, 900x495px
lots and lots of fish edition

old thread:
>>2446035

discord:
http://discord.gg/NkUApvw
>>
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
Fish for first
>>
File: 1491123172770.gif (1MB, 380x265px) Image search: [Google]
1491123172770.gif
1MB, 380x265px
Second for fish
>>
>>2451460
that's a sharb
>>
File: my tank.png (70KB, 1044x810px) Image search: [Google]
my tank.png
70KB, 1044x810px
This is my plan for a future tank, I want it to be little Asian themed ya know what I'm saying? What do y'all think about it? I'll post a picture of my tank later.
>>
>>2451470
good tabs
>>
>>2451470
not a bad idea famalam
>>
Is it actually possible to own a nurse shark? Like, could any random person keep one as a pet if they had the money?
>>
>>2451494
SeaWorld had killer whales in captivity for decades so... with enough money, shit tons of things are possible.
>>
>>2451470
I thought I was the only one interested in yellow shrimp.

Glad to know I'm not alone anymore.

I've recently been considering sulawesi shrimp but they're expensive as fuuuuck and hard to find in stock.
>>
>>2451494
hypothetically you can own any animal with enough money
and I've seen fish shops that have sharks
>>
whats a good fish for a beginner?
a betta?
they are nice to look at but I'm considering multiple fish
though a single betta might be easier to care for in my current situation and I have an old 5 gallon tank around
>>
>>2451470
I really doubt the shrimp would last long with the bards and gourami.

>>2451502
I've always been more fond of the yellow and orange ones, personally, but they're always way more expensive than the red ones when I find then in stock.

The other problem with most Sulawesi shrimp is that they go through a larval stage, so they're very, very difficult to breed.

>>2451518
There are other very easy fish, but in a 5 gallon the only one I'd suggested this a betta. Or shrimp/snails.
>>
>>2451518
A betta is generally considered a good beginner fish, yeah. But only keep a single one.
If you want multiple fishes you could go for tetras or barbs. 5g is too small for them though, as the minimum number of tetras you should keep is 5 or 6, for example. I'd recommend getting at least a 10g tank.
>>
>>2451529
>bards
Barbs, lol.

>tiny little singing men with dumb clothes in my aquarium
>>
File: IMG_3145.jpg (164KB, 510x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3145.jpg
164KB, 510x340px
I've been thinking of making a self-sustainable environment. I like what I've read about mangroves replacing protein skimmers. What's a solid way to not screw this up? What's a solid tank size to work with (preferably 50 gallons/less).
>>
>>2451532
Their clothes aren't dumb they give +2 to charisma
>>
File: new filter vs old.jpg (76KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
new filter vs old.jpg
76KB, 540x720px
Other than adding the willow branches, which havent rooted yet, the same day, I added a water filter. I read on some fish forum it might work. I connected to a 100gph fountain pump. Water got a little clearer, but not by much.
>>
File: tops.jpg (59KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
tops.jpg
59KB, 720x540px
>>2451554
The filter is rated for sediment. Maybe I should have used a pleated filter cartridge.
>>
File: green shit.jpg (55KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
green shit.jpg
55KB, 720x540px
>>2451556
It looks clogged.
>>
File: mitchell.png (186KB, 299x298px) Image search: [Google]
mitchell.png
186KB, 299x298px
>feel compassionate so add 5 rosy reds to my tank
>4 of my mollies die within 3 days
>they're destroying my plants
why
>>
>>2451494
You can get bamboo/cat sharks instead. They look very similar to nurse sharks but are much smaller and easier to care for. Not saying that they're "easy" to care for though, it would take effort.
>>
File: armageddon.jpg (237KB, 750x663px) Image search: [Google]
armageddon.jpg
237KB, 750x663px
>>2451530
I'd be fine buying a new tank, but I'm unsure if I have space for a bigger one
maybe a 10 gallon at most I could easily fit and care for right now

I think a 5 gallon with a betta would be good though, then I can splurge a bit for a more "exotic" looking one as a display piece

I'm living in Vietnam so they have betta breeders all around who breed some pretty fantastic looking fish.
>>
>>2451603
Mollys eat plants? That explains a lot
>>
File: received_10211315797788049.png (1MB, 1182x886px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211315797788049.png
1MB, 1182x886px
My crawfish hasn't eaten the food I've given him the past few days. Is he about to molt or will he just starve to death?
>>
>work at petco
>some kid and his mom come into the store
>the kid wants one of our oscars
>has a 55g with cichlids in it already
>doesnt know what kind they are, but theyre small
>aquatics person initially tells them no, lists a bunch of reasons why its probably not a good idea
>manager tells her she can't refuse the sale
that kids gonna end up with 5 missing cichlids and one fat oscar isn't he?
>>
What does /an/ think of livebearers and ghost shrimp in a 10 gallon? Been looking through fish and these fuckers have smitten me.

That or guppies but I would probably have a harder time since they breed quicker.
>>
>>2451765
but guppies are livebearers
>>
File: 2017-08-09 18.33.40.jpg (3MB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-09 18.33.40.jpg
3MB, 2829x1590px
Looking for an ID on the big plant centre right on left hand side of rock with java moss on top. It was given to me some time ago so jave no idea what it is but looks like its about to flower ! Pls help
>>
>>2451726
he is just tired of your bullshit tank
yes, we have seen pics of it
>>
File: succ.jpg (154KB, 877x658px) Image search: [Google]
succ.jpg
154KB, 877x658px
>>
>>2451540
>What's a solid way to not screw this up?
Have 1000 gallons of water and 50 mangroves for every small fish.
>What's a solid tank size to work with (preferably 50 gallons/less).
made me laugh
>>
>>2451788
If you're referring to the plastic plants, that's my only option with this guy
>>
>>2451529
Well I was thinking 10 shrimp planning that some will die off.

>>2451502
I want shrimp, and I thought yellow would be a nice contrast on the black gravel. But also it fits with my theme of Asian
>>
>>2451540
Where did you read something like that? Mangroves are one of the slowest growing plants you can get and don't have much use as nutrient export. You sure you aren't confused with some type of macroalgae or maybe a turf scrubber?
>>
i had red cherry in aquarium with my african dwarf frogs and the shrimps died off ;_; i change 1/2 of water every few weeks and there is a filter, it was putting air into water when i had shrimps, i hope you know what i mean, i have some plants too. why did they die? i would like to have them :/
>>
>>2451890
Water parameters? Tank size? Picture(s)???
>>
>>2451890
They were eaten, or you are easily forgetting the fish. Maybe they got too hot then cold, etc. Maybe you added chloramines or shifted the pH too fast.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (80).jpg (1MB, 1600x967px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif (80).jpg
1MB, 1600x967px
>>2451903
room temperature, 35x20x20 size, picture in picrel

>>2451953
i have no fish there
>>
>>2451765
What kind of livebearers are you talking about? If you're worried about breeding get males only. All livebearers are really easy to sex.
>>
do I need a heater if I live in a place that's hot year round?
>>
>>2451777
Red myrio? Can't really see any details on it.
>>
>>2452011
If the room the tank is staying in stays 76°F or warmer then no, you don't need a heater.
>>
>>2451890
>>2451959
Let's see.
Do a 20-30% water change every week instead of a 50% every few weeks. It's more about frequency rather than volume.

Now, when you say >there is a filter, it was putting air into water
are you talking about an actual filter that allows for beneficial bacterial cultivation, or just an airpump with a sponge or something?

>room temperature
It depends on the shrimps, but all are pretty much tropical animals, and they need higher temperatures. Room temp might be too cold for them.

Some other things you need to consider:
Did you actually cycle the tank?
Do you vacuum the substrate? You don't want any leftover food lying there, as the ammonia it produces can and will kill everything in the tank.
Did you maybe overfeed or underfeed them?

Also, when anon asked you about water parameters he was mostly referring to ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels. The fact that you didn't mention them means that you have not tested your water, and most likely have not even cycled the tank. If not, that's 100% why everything died.
The fact that your frogs are still alive does not necessarily mean that you have a well-established tank. Frogs will just swim up and breathe air, and the toxic ammonia levels will not necessarily kill them that fast.

Also clean your tank, it's a huge eyesore.
>>
whats a good snail to pair with my betta?
I want something to clean out the algae
>>
>>2452036
Assassin/Helena snails are hardy, pretty and available everywhere.
>>
>>2452036
Nerites.

>>2452040
Assassin snails are nice, but they don't eat algae.
>>
File: 2352436.jpg (59KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
2352436.jpg
59KB, 800x800px
How high exactly do I place a thermometer like pic related?
I've seen people place it on top of the glass while fully underwater, others place it on top of the glass with the top of the thermometer sticking out of the water, and others place it down to the substrate. What do?
>>
>>2452104
Fully underwater in a place that is easy for you to read
>>
>>2452112
Gotcha, thanks.
>>
>>2451777
The broad leafed one?
Ozelot sword plant maybe?
>>
>>2451656
5g is fine. People who push 10g are all newbie shitters that haven't done a days worth of reading on aquariums.
>>
>>2452167
For a single betta or 3 shrimps, sure.
>>
my bet(t)a has fin rot

everything I've tried has failed

what do
>>
>>2452176
Get better water parameters
>>
>>2452170
Oh. Then I guess my betta, two guppies, and pleco are gonna die any day now in my 3g planted tank. Guess all my water tests have been lying to me.
>>
>>2452188
>>
>>2452192
Not an argument. I've posted pictures of it before on here. Stop giving advice if you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2452200
>Not an argument
>"I did it so it's fine"
Yeah, that's some fucking top tier argument you've got yourself there.
>>
>>2452176
Well what did you try? If water changes fail, maracyn works
>>
>>2452231
Still not an argument. Waiting for your ground breaking research on why nano tanks are impossible. Someone alert the entire nano-aquarium community, random anon on Chinese forum is ready to tell us we're all wrong.
>>
>>2452251
>3g
>nano tank

A better term for it would be "pickle jar."
Stop baiting, there are newbies in here that might actually fall for your shit and end up killing fish with one of those suffocation traps.
>>
>>2452136
Thats the one. Thanks anon
>>
>>2452258
Still. Not. An. Argument.

If anyone is a newbie it's clearly you. Now fuck off and go buy your filter replacements.
>>
File: 1491584221750.jpg (64KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1491584221750.jpg
64KB, 960x720px
>>
>>2451777
it is rotala wallichi
>>
>>2451777
also you will not get flowers from submerged growth
>>
I'd like to get a fish tank for my house, but I worry since I can't guarantee I'll be living here in a years time, or even in this country
does anyone have experience with moving fish or even taking them on a plane.
>>
>>2452386
>I'd like to get a fish tank for my house
See, that's your first mistake. You don't get a tank for your house like it's a kind of furniture or decoration, you get a living, breathing ecosystem full of life for yourself. Get your priorities right before you invest in adopting any kind of living creature. A fish tank is neither a wallflower nor is it a box of water with a $2 fish in it.
>>
>>2452400
way to be super pretentious dude
>>2452386
I mean fish are packed and flown all over the world, so it IS doable. But it will probably cost more than its worth.
If you want a tank, get a tank. If the time comes to move you can decide to pay to ship them with you, sell them off, or give them to whoever is taking your place I guess
>>
>>2452408
Way to endorse animal cruelty dude.
I bet you are fine with big stores selling fish to obviously incompetent and uninformed idiots and little kids who will definitely kill their fish off in a couple of days due to lack of information and any sense of responsibility too right? Because hey, it's just fish, right? It's not like fish and other aquarium creatures are like, actual creatures right? They are not cute and cuddly so who cares if they die lol
>>
>>2452422
what about you getting autistic about his choice of words has anything to do with animal abuse?

I guess no one should get a fish tanks because they might have to move at some point
>>
>>2452386
>>2452422
>>2452456
A shit ton of people that are serious about this hobby re-home fish ALL THE TIME. It seems like the larger and more numerous tanks a single person has, the MORE that person re-homes fish. (For example, see any youtuber ever, or go to your LFS and ask the employees that are also big time hobbyists.)

It's only the smalltime, super amateur, fishkeepers that are super afraid of moving/rehoming fish.
>>
>>2452036
Nerites are vertually indestructible. Had one live through 2 crashes, 2 moves, a heater malfunction. Only downside is they lay those ugly white eggs everywhere and they fuck up you hardscape like nothing else. Mine will just pick up huge boulders and toss them aside.
>>
>>2452355
Rip
>>
>>2452422
lol kill urself m'dude
>>
>>2451732
S'okay. Repeat customers!

>>2451765
>>2451771
>>2452010
He probably means Endler's livebearers specifically, in which case I do like Endler's more than most guppy varieties.

But it's not like they don't reproduce.
>>
File: 20170809_213231~01.jpg (2MB, 4032x2653px) Image search: [Google]
20170809_213231~01.jpg
2MB, 4032x2653px
Any suggestions on the aquascape/hardscape? What to add/remove? Kind of at that point where I don't know what to do.
>>
How can I make money in this hobby? Selling plants? Fish? What a good entry level way to turn a profit?
>>
>>2452478
Breed largemouth bass
>>
Do I need liverock for a single specimen tank?
>>
>>2452473
does it need changing? it looks pretty good to me, once your plants grow some more it'll look better
>>
>>2452383
Not even ones that come to the surface?
>>
>>2452400
ok
I just said tank because I haven't decided what kind of fish/creature or how many yet
>>
>>2452422
I know how to care for fish, I've had a tank before when i lived with my parents that I cared for all myself and had numerous fish within, as well as crabs at one point.
nothing too complex, I had swordtails and a betta for 4-5 years before the last of them died, as well as koi which I cared for for 7 years (they're still alive but living with my grandparents now)

but right now I'm in uncertain waters in a foreign country and idk how permanent things would be, I imagine a single betta would be easy enough to transport since spending a day or two in a small container on a flight wouldn't be too awful for it.
and they have some beautiful bettas here since they are native to the region so I'd love to be able to get one (or even two eventually) of some rare breeds, maybe to even breed them myself in the future.

I only asked if anyone had experience moving fish long distances like on planes.
>>
>>2452478
breed fish
sell designer koi or goldfish or whatever to Asians, they go mental for fancy fish and will pay out the ass for them.
>>
Pretty sure a fuckin' kuhli loach managed to break my HOB. My filter has been acting funny for a few weeks; mostly stuff popping out of place, so I just ignored it thinking it was just some irrelevant, random shit. Well, today I noticed my water level was real fuckin' low even though I filled it up earlier today. Apparently, my HOB is spewing water everywhere and there's a goddamn kuhli loach under all the filter media. How the hell could a tiny little worm fish manage to break my filter? I'm finding it really hard to believe. I can't find anywhere that seems to be leaking, either. Thank god I run sponge filters in my tanks or i'd be fucked right now.
Anyway, the fish is fine. He's a little fucked up and skinny, but doing fine otherwise. A few minutes after being put back in the tank and he's back to swimming in a circle incessantly with his buds.
>>
Okay, I finally put a lid on my cycling tank. It's just two glass sheets, but they do the trick. There's a ~1 inch opening on each side for ventilation too, so it should be fine I guess.

First thing I notice: my tank now fucking stinks. I know cycling tanks are supposed to stink up because of the ammonia, but I was surprised to see the smell accumulating in just a couple of days. It must be the lid holding the smelly gasses down, right? If so, is that a bad thing?

Also, I only just got some water conditioner for chlorine and chloramine. I added it to the water the same day I got the lid. Is that related to the smell maybe? I already had the tank cycling for about one and a half weeks, adding fish food every two days.

Also, I just got a nitrite test and the results are on the red (5 mg/L). That's a good thing right? It means that shit is happening in the tank and ammonia has already started to turn into nitrates and soon nitrates will go down and there will be nitrates, yes?
>>
>>2452713
Fugg, I meant to say
>It means that shit is happening in the tank and ammonia has already started to turn into NITRITES and soon NITRITES will go down and there will be nitrates, yes?
>>
>>2452713
>It must be the lid holding the smelly gasses down, right?
yep
>If so, is that a bad thing?
It's fine.
>Also, I only just got some water conditioner for chlorine and chloramine. I added it to the water the same day I got the lid. Is that related to the smell maybe?
No. If the thing stinks there's no chlorine in it. Chlorine kills bacteria, and that stink is bacterial.
>Also, I just got a nitrite test and the results are on the red (5 mg/L). That's a good thing right? It means that shit is happening in the tank and ammonia has already started to turn into nitrates and soon nitrates will go down and there will be nitrates, yes?
you got it.
>>
>>2452720
Wooo, awesome. Thanks!
>>
>>2452722
You're welcome.
>>
So I don't have any fish like this, but I do have a small folder containing images of fish like this which I am looking to expand
Anyone in /aq/ have their own fish like this, or found images they'd like to share?

I can either dump what I have here (10 images), or otherwise start a new bread if others have more to add
>>
File: 1499438052837.jpg (36KB, 600x571px) Image search: [Google]
1499438052837.jpg
36KB, 600x571px
>>2452752
Forgot pic
They are all goldfish, but with the cool big bubble growths around their heads / eyes
>>
https://getecoqube.com

Jesus fuckin' Christ, this screams "a very bad idea".

>2.2gallons
>oh fucking boy let's put A PLANT on top, something LITERALLY EVERY FISH-CENTERED YOUTUBER HAS ALREADY TRIED
>promotes itself as "never needing to clean"

And people fall for it.
>>
snails or shrimp?
I'm looking at bottom feeders and don't feel like a sucker
would a mystery snail be good for cleaning algae and food waste?
I've looked at ghost shrimp as well but I'd prefer something more colorful.
I'm also wary due to how fast shrimp breed, idk what I'd do with all the babies, I don't want to flush them
>>
>>2452831
If you think shrimp breeding is uncontrollable, snail breeding will rock your world.
It depends on the species, but snails generally reproduce at way crazier rates than shrimps.
That being said, don't let that stop you from getting what you want. There are ways to regulate or all-together put a halt on any animal reproducing.
>>
>>2452851
I'd probably only get one medium/larger sized snail though, should be enough for my tank

its not that its uncontrollable, but idk what I'd do with the babies, feed them to my koi?
>>
>>2452859
Chances are eggs will die away before they hatch.
>>
File: 0810170823_HDR.jpg (2MB, 4656x2620px) Image search: [Google]
0810170823_HDR.jpg
2MB, 4656x2620px
This guy shouldn't try walking out of tank right, he is always hanging right here just under the surface.
Tetras will go at him but not the ghost shrimp
>>
>>2452916
Get a lid, I've lost a few from jumping.
>>
What do you gous think of chili rasbora being 'nano' fish?

Would you put a small school of them in a five gallon?
>>
>>2452988
Maybe 5-7 in a 10g. 5g seems really tiny. They are very small though.
>>
I fucked up. Finally found a male peacock gudgeon. Got him home and as I'm lifting g the bad up to put in the aquarium, it slipped and slammed on the floor. The bad didn't explode but The gudgeon is doing pirroets and seems really dazed. Is he going to be okay? He seems to have calmed down but seems to be listing to his left. What can I do? Should I euthanize?
>>
I have 6 neon tetras in a 20 gallon tank. Had them for about two months and they're all doing well. How would they react to say 6 more neon tetras? I think my tank is big enough for 12 but i don't want to stress out my current fish, which are nicely paired with 3 female and 3 male, or cause a bunch of drama.
>>
>>2452752
>>2452753
>Carassius auratus var. Bagdanoff
>>
>>2453013
Bogdanoff*
>>
>>2453001
12 should be fine. Neons don't have a huge bioload. Also having an excess of females is usually a good idea
>>
>>2453001
I had 6 for a while, a month later I got another 6 and within minutes of adding those 6 to the tank, they all started schooling. A few weeks later, I added 6 flame tetras, and they also school with the neons. Pretty cool fish.
>>
Are rabbit snails compatible with convict cichlids?Common sense says no, but they do come from the same lakes.
>>
Today I saw a guppy carrying my biggest and brightest RCS in its mouth. What's more likely, the shrimp dying of natural causes and then getting chewed on, or the guppy killing the shrimp?

If it's the latter, I'm fucking getting rid of that fish.
>>
File: 20170810_153704~01.jpg (2MB, 2790x4019px) Image search: [Google]
20170810_153704~01.jpg
2MB, 2790x4019px
>>2452999
Nevermind. If he's able to hit on ladies, he's probably fine.
>>
>>2453047
Guppies are assholes and will eat anything that can fit in their mouths.
>>
>>2453001
They'd be happier, probably. 6 is a bit small for a school, so i'd go ahead and add six more.
>>
I love ants and fish, but i only want to start something for one. Which one requires less maintenance and costs less?
>>
>>2452386
Get some kind of annual killifish. They only live about a year naturally, and you can breed them and store the dessicated eggs for several months or years, then hatch new fish after you flee the country.
If the originals are still alive when it's time to move they should be pretty easy to give away or sell, since they're fairly easy to care for and very attractive.

>>2452400
>this bent out of shape over semantics
Dude, just, like, chill out, bro.
>>
>>2452251
>ground breaking research
Lol. If that's the way you want to do it, find a single legitimate source that endorses keeping a pleco in a 3 gallon nano tank.
>>
>>2452465
My sister had a five gallon tank with a betta and a nerite at one point. The betta died at some point and she left the tank running without touching it for several months before I came over to tear it down and found the nerite still happily trucking along underneath a two inch layer of mulm and dead plants.
I put it in my tank and it crawled out and died two days later.
So yeah, they're indestructible as long as they don't escape.
>>
>>2453071
I had some nerites in the habitat I made for my tree frogs. Turns out frogs eat snails.
>>
>>2453083
Really? Wouldn't expect tree frogs to eat that.
>>
File: 水槽.png (2MB, 1164x655px) Image search: [Google]
水槽.png
2MB, 1164x655px
Whats something good for a newly cycled 10 gallon tank? I've never run an aquarium before.
The water is 75F, and it has wood in it.
>>
>>2453145
Four goldfish and a common pleco is a good start.
>>
>>2453150
I'd rather not end up with 4 dead goldfish and a giant pleco.
>>
>>2453152
Maybe a school of arowanas then?
>>
>>2453160
I was just thinking a maybe few cories or a small school of some kind of tetra
>>
>>2453163
I would do four cory cats and ten cardinal tetras. Maybe a few shrimp.
>>
>>2453164
That seems like a lot of fish for a 10 gallon.
>>
>>2452713
Good news is that it'll stink WAAAAAAY less once it has finished cycling. That mid-point where ammonia turns to nitrite but you don't have the colony far enough along to turn nitrite into nitrate is painful and the most smelly part.

Home stretch though. Good job.
>>
>>2453145
get some crayfish
I love mine
though don't mix them with fish unless you want to come home to an empty tank with a fat crayfish
>>
>>2452907
When I've had snails before I would just clean out their big egg sacks and the other fish would usually eat the rest as a snack
>>
>>2453213
I'm not interested in invertebrates at all.
>>
Planning on doing a 20 gallon single species tank. Any recommendations? I don't like tiger barbs
>>
>>2452922
Too late, had my room mate feeding the fish while I'm gone and he said I'm missing a shrimp. RIP
>>
>>2453219
Where do you live?
>>
Best Channa beside barca? I vote bleheri
>>
petco anon here
tiger oscar kid came back
he didnt return the fish so it must be ok, but 6 cichlids in a 55g is going to get cramped
then he asked me if he could keep a turtle with his cichlids. I kind of wanted to tell him to go for it, but I decided it was probably better to attempt to educate him
>>
my poor shrimp keep getting eaten!
I have a betta whom I introduced after initially adding 6 cherry shrimp
the shrimp where a good size and I figured the beta would leave them alone and maybe just eat the babies for snacks, I have a little shrimp "home" for them as well and ample places to hide.

but now of my original 6 shrimp I have 2 left
I come home from work and a shrimp will be missing, I thought they were escaping at first somehow but then I found a shell that had been eaten and saw my betta bullying a shrimp.

I like the shrimp a lot, they look nice at the bottom of my small tank and clean things well, but idk if I should bother introducing more and more every time one gets picked off.
>>
>>2453066
ants
just dump soda all over your floors and out the door, you will be up to your ass in them in no time :^)
>>
>>2453346
How much are you feeding the beta
>>
>Walk into my bathroom earlier today before heading out to work
>Stop in the doorway to stare at my fish tank because the fish are acting weird
>See all eight of my neons and my betta suspended mid tank, pointing up at about an 80 degree angle
>Not one of them is moving
>Walk into the bathroom
>As if they were in a trance, they all immediately snap out of it and go back to swimming and acting how they normal act, like nothing is wrong
>Check heater and filter, all is well
>Check water, nothing wrong there
>Alright, that was weird
>Come back this evening and walk into the bathroom
>They are fucking doing it again
>Stop as soon as I enter the room
>>
File: 20170810_222447.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170810_222447.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Here's my 10g practice gf. It's my first tank. So far I've invested a total of $20 on plants and food, everything else was free. I'm still using the same substrate that i received the tank with, but i think i need some actual substrate, but idk.
Can i grow baby tears or Java moss with this substrate? It's just fine gravel.
>>
>>2453376
three to five pellets daily
usually with three feeding sessions and occasionally a bloodworm as a treat
>>
>>2453044
>but they do come from the same lakes.
Doesn't that mean that they'll just be a more familiar type of snack for the convicts?
>>
>>2453210
I'm happy to say that the smell is already almost completely gone. Also the water was a tiny bit cloudy for a few days after I added the conditioner, but it's pretty much crystal clear today. I'll do another test in a bit.

When should I stop adding fish food? I add one crushed up mini wafer every two days. Tank's 10g, btw.
>>
>>2453219
How about a pair of Convicts? They are aggressive in general, but they make for an interesting fish if they are either alone or in a male+female pair.
>>
>>2453479
>I'll do another test in a bit.
Nitrites still in the red. Dark orange at best.
>>
>>2453382
sleepy fishy
>>
>>2453346
Bettas are pretty much always going to kill shrimp unless you somehow get a really mellow betta. There are very few things that can live peacefully with bettas. They're kind of like tiny barracuda.I've read that neon tetras and cory cats are about the only things that can live with bettas.
>>
>>2453404
>baby tears
No. That's hard for someone who just started with fish. Just gravel is almost certain to not work.
>java moss
Yes. That shit will grow like a motherfucker in any tank, no matter how shitty the conditions.
>>
Are koi ponds /an/ or /diy/ or /out/?
Looking though the archives they seem to be nothing on 4chan.
>>
>>2453044
>the same lake
>lake Malawi in Africa
>lake Sulawesi in Indonesia
Sure.
>>
>>2453620
all three but /an/ is full of retards
>>
File: cute plecos.jpg (57KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
cute plecos.jpg
57KB, 640x426px
>>2452188
>pleco
>Of any kind
>3g tank
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee how dare you make a majestic Pleco suffer. Pleco are unironically the fish master race
>>
>>2453581
Pleco as well due to their armor like skin, however the pleco will often end up killing the betta if it doesn't learn It's lesson and leave it alone [spoiler] Bettas are pretty retarded [/spoiler] On a side note plecos tend to defend their tanks ecosystem especially if you get one that hangs around your other fish and gives a shit about them. Putting a betta in a tank with an established ecosystem is asking for the betta to suicide
>>
New to saltwater tanks. I just put aragonite and some water in and the water got cloudy as fuck. I know thats normal with new substrate and rinsing is a thing, but will that ultra fine dust be harmful to any invertebrates? I'm worried it'll get into their joints or breathing parts. The tiny jagged pieces already worry me, but I think I'm overthinking things.
>>
>>2453596
Thank you kind anon
>>
>>2453664
Convicts are from central america you fucking mong
>>
>>2453857
No. Most of the animals we can buy live in or near the surf zone and are often exposed to aragonite dust.

It's actually good for them because it's the most readily dissolved source of calcium in the tank. Which is why we use aragonite in the first place. They actually sell that dust in bottles with other calcium supplements- it's called Purple Up. It helps grow coralline algae in addition to helping corals and most other sea creatures grow their skeletons and shells.
>>
File: IMG_20170808_181514.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_181514.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>tfw empty 15 tall and I don't know what to do with it.

figure a betta tank would be nice but idk. it want something else in it too. also not sure what plants to try out in this one. I've grown quick easy shit before like anacharis and water wisteria with a ghetto homemade co2 setup
(yeast in warm water into diffuser. had to replace every week or so)
>>
File: 2015-08-21_08-41-01_161.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-21_08-41-01_161.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>2454029
pic related. shit got hilariously out of control VERR quickly. also had some snails spring up in there (not sure what kind)
>>
File: 1501931358586.jpg (46KB, 445x615px) Image search: [Google]
1501931358586.jpg
46KB, 445x615px
Help I'm tired of my white reef rock on my white sand. I want to mix it up but don't know what to do. My brother bought me the 60lbs of rock for my birthday last year I'd feel bad not using it. I mean I'd definitely keep it it's good rock but I need some spice. Thinking black sand and maybe keep a few of the white rocks and just throw in some wood and plants. That doesn't sound so bad does it?
>>
>>2454050
>white reef rock
White reef rock is only white because everything on it is dead and bleached.

Try growing shit on it. Before it was harvested it was literally covered in very colorful coral.

Don't bother with the wood. Your rock is the wood.
>>
>>2453488
Depends on when you want to add fish.

It's harder to say if you're not dosing pure ammonia. If you had pure ammonia, you could just do a complete water change, add ammonia, and if you go from 4ppm ammonia to 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrite, and >0 ppm nitrate within 24 hours, you're done and you can add fish.

But since you are using flakes you have to account for decay time of the flakes into ammonia.
>>
>>2454071
I think he is doing freshwater?
>>
>>2454071
>>2454081
Yeah it's fresh. Was planning to go salt but went fresh last minute.
>>
>>2453620
/out/ will tell you if you should have one
/diy/ will tell you how to install it
and /an/ will tell you what to put in it
>>
>>2454050
I like black sand and white rock, it reminds me of Hawaii. It's a nice contrast.
>>
>>2454122
This
>>
>>2454050
THAT'S NOT A GECKO

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2454078
I see. I suppose I'll wait a couple of weeks to complete the suggested fishless cycling time period of 3 to 4 weeks.
I'm afraid that if I stop dropping food the cycling might come to a halt because there's not enough ammonia. But I'm also afraid of adding more food because I don't want to OD the water with excessive ammonia. On the other hand, there still are wafers in the water rotting away, kind of providing a slow but steady source of ammonia. So it won't hurt if I stop adding extra food, right?
I only have a nitrites test so it's hard for me to determine the ammonia levels. I obviously know it's in there, but I don't know how much of it is pure and how much of it is converted to nitrites.
>>
>>2454205
BTW, here's what I plan to stock the tank with:
5 Neon Tetra
1 female Dwarf Gourami
2 Spotted Snails (Nerites)

Thoughts?
Also, should I just add them all together? Because I've heard that DGs can be a little aggressive when first introduced in a small tank. Should I add the gourami first and let her settle in before adding the tetras a few days later?
>>
What should i do with the colorless shrimp i have? They are the cull batch and idk if i should put them in my main tank or kill them off
>>
>>2454266
take them to the vet
>>
File: IMG_3204.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3204.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Just bought my first proper tank
Utopia TL-328
Anyone have experience with this or tips to set it up
I'm not sure how to get the filter working, I put in a bit of water to test it but it didn't do anything, do I need to fill it completely to work?
As of now I've only got the tank and some substrate, I'll pick up some more things tomorrow and the coming week then start cycling the tank
>>
>>2454294
You need to fill it at least halfway
>>
>>2454294
What are you planning on putting in there
>>
>>2454319
unsure
probably a betta and either a snail or a few shrimp
just gonna get the plants in and the tank cycled before I get anything
>>
Is it absolutly nessecary to treat fin rot in a sick tank rather than the 10 gallon my betta is in? Would the main reason be so you can do 100% water changes daily and readd the aquarium salt daily as well? Would a 2 gallon be an okay size?

I am new to bettas, thank you for any help!
>>
>>2453832
>master race
>shit factory

pick one.
>>
>>2454032
Might want to invest in a pair of scissors, anon.
>>
File: fug.jpg (58KB, 600x797px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
58KB, 600x797px
Just got two 4 inch Plecos and put them in my 200gal outside pond. Now we play the waiting game and see how bigger they get in six months.
Probably gonna have to get a couple electric heaters soon.

Fish store guy had two 6 inch Paroon Sharks for like $3 each but I'm scared of keeping those because they get huge and I don't have the necessary stuff to take proper care of them :^(
>>
>>2454382
You can do either. As it seems you have read, water quality is key.

2 gallon is perfectly fine.

I don't particularly use salt unless I'm treating constipation problems (epsom salt).
>>
>>2454456
>Paroon Sharks
wtf

What kind of shady ass fish store do you have there?
>>
>>2454500
I live in Mexico, in a small town. People just don't give a fuck here.
Essentially we have a very bad case of "If it looks exotic it will sell" and "If it looks exotic I will buy without knowing the adult size or how to care for it"
>>
>>2454207
>>2454205
>>2454205
>>2454207
If you've got a wafer rotting away, then I'd agree, no need for extra food. Might want to even do a bit of a water change now.

At this point the ammonia test actually isn't very important because you are seeing nitrite. If nitrite's going up, that means ammonia goes down. And if you see nitrite go up then go to zero, that means you're ready.

I would probably stop adding food completely, do a big water change, test the nitrite, let the wafer keep decaying. Test a day later and see if the nitrite is going up or down. In either case, you should see some movement.

As for introducing fish, I've done it both ways (more aggressive first or last) and for me at least it didn't matter. If the tank was too crowded/small for the fish's liking, he would be an asshole regardless of when I introduced him.

Consider introducing last though because of one reason:

Generally, fish stores allow a certain return period. If you introduce her first and let her settle then add other fish and she's still an asshole, well you're out of luck and need to find your own solution. However if you introduce her last and she's an asshole, you just return her to the store.

Confirm with the store on the return policy though.
>>
>>2454266
Sell on craigslist for super cheap, or food for your main tank.>>2454087
>>2454081
>>
>>2454456
>>2454500
>>2454503
My bad, I was thinking of Iridescent Sharks, not Paroon.
They still get huge though.
>>
>>2454507
>tfw trying to sell my glofish skirt tetras on Craigslist
>tfw nobody wants them

I don't want to kill healthy fish but I don't even want them
>>
>>2454520
Drop the price or if you're thinking about killing them then I don't think you want to make a profit, so just give them away.
>>
I'm considering getting some malaysian trumpet snails for my sand bottom 20g, but I'm concerned about them crawling out of the tank like pond snails have in the past, is this a large issue for them?
>>
>>2454636
Put a lid over the tank

gg snails
>>
>>2454643

I had a lid at the time and they always found a way out through the holes for the heater and stuff, now I run it without for aesthetic purposes
>>
Anyone have any preferred sources for tissue cultured dwarf hairgrass?
>>
>>2454654
I wonder if fluon would work for snails, but I would look into establishing a rim of salt/dislikable chemical around the top to discourage them from passing it.
>>
>>2453528
>>2453528
You really think they were just sleeping? Cause usually the neons hide behind/in things, and my betta likes to tuck himself into this little spot in the bottom corner.
>>
>>2454710
If they feel safe enough they'll sleep where ever.

Also stop interrupting their nap. :|
>>
>>2454707

A ring of copper tape, or sandpaper tape, should discourage them. Salt might fall into the tank (variable issues), and might be lethal, resulting in dead snail in tank syndrome. That is assuming aquarium salt is even dangerous to the kinds of snails that leave tanks (most of which are looking for brackish water to spawn).

This said, I grabbed three adult MTS from petsmart for free and as far as I can tell they are all still in my lidless 20g. The only reason an MTS leaves a tank is if the water parameters shift suddenly and disfavorably, so if you see them climbing up and out then you have other problems.
>>
>>2454712
>Also stop interrupting their nap. :|
I don't know why this made me laugh so much.
>>
>>2454506
Okay, sounds good. Thanks for the advice.
>>
Are canister filters worth it for a 90L
Or should I just get a normal hang on.

Also do canister filters discourage algae growth because I want algae to proliferate so my otos are comfy.
>>
>>2454837
Just have excess light and nutrients for algae, don't see how they would discourage the growth of it. Havent heard it before at least.
>>
Anyone have a site with like a master list of fancy goldfish breeds?
I'm no where near ready to set up an actual goldfish tank, but I'd like to shop around so to speak
>>
What are some colder water bottom feeder fish that could be kept with goldfish?
I'm guessing I'm going to be looking into loaches here
>>
how long will it take this dust to settle in my water, I spent over an hour washing out my substrate in a bucket with a hose and it looked fairly clear but when I put it in the tank it is really cloudy again
should I run the filter or just let it sit for an hour or two to settle?
>>
File: IMG_3210.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3210.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
It's been an hour or two now with the filter running
This is crazy, how long will it take?

I'm using a substrate called Aquafor topsoil, it's a very earthy smelling gravel, I'm not sure of this means I won't need any additives like fluorite to the substrate for plants
>>
has anyone ever attempted a non-CO2 planted tank with minimal to no water changes?

I've got some plants but no fish yet, I'm thinking some more low-light plants and maybe a small number of fish might make this viable

regular vacuuming and algae eaters present of course, I've read of people with planted tanks not changing their water and still having optimal PH levels/healthy water, or at most doing small 10-15% changes
>>
>>2454654
I had the same problem with my shrimp. What I did was cut out two squares of mosquito net. I just place them over the cable holes. Airflow is unimpeded, but snails (and shrimp and mosquitos) can't get out.
>>
>>2455011
coldwater catfish? lots of those out there.
>>
>>2455052
did you clean ur dirt?

>>2455071
size and frequency of water changes is largely based on bioload, but old tank syndrome should be a concern if you keep any animals you care about.
>>
>>2455020
Depends on how fine the particals are. Could take a week, could take minutes.
>>
>>2455120
I did >>2455020 >>2455052
but its still pretty cloudy
im not sure if I should keep the filter running (which makes a bit of a current) or turn it off and just leave it still to settle
its still very dark and has not settled at all
though I did place a rock inside which rustled it a bit

tomorrow I might do a partial water change and see how it goes
I just wonder if I should leave the filter on overnight or not
>>
>>2455129
Leave the filter running.
I don't see what the benefit of a water change would be at this point. You'll just disturb the water even more and fuck up any substrate settling that has already happened. Just be patient anon.
>>
File: IMG_3211.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3211.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455138
I could give it a vacuum maybe
Also do I need to add anything to the substrate for plants?
At the store they said this alone would be good for growing and it seems to be what they were using in most of their tanks
My tank is not that big but I'd like to put in a number of plants to hopefully make t partially self-sustaining and generally better looking
>>
>>2455144
Sometimes settling takes hours bro. Don't worry about it.

Just filled up a small ~12G tank with ecocomplete and it didn't clear for like four hours.

>>2455071
Anyone who has ever successfully done a Walstad method tank has done this.
>>
>>2455151
Not cloudy af dude but I fucked up using amazonia my first time and it never settled, I had to turn on my filter and let that eat the dust.
>>
>>2455151
I didn't put in potting soil as per the Walstad method though
>>
Anyone got experience with redbee?
>>
File: IMG_2367.jpg (73KB, 800x514px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2367.jpg
73KB, 800x514px
>>2455190
Forgot pic
>>
>>2455190
>>2455193
Crystal Red Shrimp?
>>
>>2455195
Ye. I heard these guys are sensitive as fuck
>>
>>2455202
I have heard they are deffo more sensitive than cherries, The only physical store I saw keeping and selling them so far was an actual aquascaping LFS.
>>
>>2455211
Fuck that sounds like it could be a dank LFS
All the ones by me are for corals and have almost no freshwater Shit
>>
>>2451726
fuckers can not eat for like a million years
>>
>>2455071
I ran a heavily planted tank with no water changes for 6 months. The fish were perfectly fine, Water was super clean because of all the Mts, ramshorns, shrimp, and plants. But the problem became that the water became devoid of minerals. Water changes are as much for adding to the tank as taking out. Things quickly fall out of balance if New water isn't added.
>>
>>2455216
It was exclusively freshwater, it was dope af. Unfortunately I moved across the country. They also sold me Danio Tinwini for my first tank, and I fell in love but you can't get those fuckers anywhere and I'm sad because I want them again.

Look up "Arizona Nature Aquatics so you can be sad like me looking at the pictures and knowing you will never have an LFS this good, although this is a new location that they moved to after I left the area. (Which is even better than when I went)
>>
>>2455223
Couldn't you add regular fertilizer?
>>
>>2455228
You could, but there are a lot of minerals in tap Water. Easier and cheaper to just do a water change.
>>
>>2455229
I might try that then, still plant the tank but doing weekly moderate water changes is a lot less hassle I think than having to monitor some heavily planted tank
Also I'd prefer less plants so my fish have more space
>>
File: DSC02114.jpg (309KB, 1500x1067px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02114.jpg
309KB, 1500x1067px
>>2455224
Holy shit that has to be one of the cleanest ones I've seen. It makes mine look like a bums hideout
>>
File: 1446164461245.jpg (80KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1446164461245.jpg
80KB, 645x773px
>tfw want an Arowana
>tfw too poor to give it a good life
I-I'll stick to my 10 gallon I guess...
>>
>>2455245
If you get a tiny arowana it'll only grow to fit the tank you put it in.
>>
>>2455283
Stop memeing, that's a myth. Sure it will not grow to its full size but it will outgrow a small tank for sure, and it wouldn't be right to keep an animal living like that.
>>
>>2455239
:| That's cleaner than my apartment.
>>
>>2455239
Honestly man all LFS look like you just pulled them out of a trailer park. Why the fuck don't they look halfway decent like any other retail store?
>>
Where do you guys get your hardscape?
I'm looking for rocks and woods that aren't going to leech stuff into my water
I've got a fair amount of slate and quartz laying around my house if those are okay
>>
>>2455307
Slate is common for hardscape. Quartz is also used however be careful it doesn't have other minerals you don't want. Any quartz with shiny bits often have pyrite for instance, which leech too much iron in the water and form sulfuric acid and will lower your pH.

People say test with vinegar but that shit's so weak that unless you have massive amounts of reactants, you won't be able to tell shit without a microscope, and you would need far less to screw up your water chemistry.
>>
>>2455326
I should clarify that iron pyrite (FeS) will leach iron (Fe) in addition to forming sulfuric acid (H2SO4).
>>
>>2455305
Because there's a lot more cleaning involved in running a fish shop than in running a grocery. There's only so much daily cleaning someone can do before they start getting sloppy.
>>
>>2454712
Ha!

I know, I always feel so fucking bad whenever I have to use the bathroom at night and I wake my betta. He looks so cozy when I turn the light on.

But alright..that's a weird fucking angle to be sleeping in, just...suspended in the water almost straight up.
>>
>>2455349
Fish are weird. My oscar always sleeps face down into the middle of an amazon sword plant. Whenever I turn the lights on he seems to panic and swims straight down, usually get stuck for a few seconds before he wakes up and realises he's being an idiot.
>>
>>2455326
Quartz leeching iron isn't really a problem. It's very slow, and most of the time it only sours the water very slightly. I use quartz and my water is always perfect for my angelfish and tetras at 6.2
>>
So I tore down my tank last night cause it had ich. I washed all the equipment with hot tap water, and sat everything in a bowl out in the sun.

Will drying it out be enough to kill any remaining ich?

Also, how long should I wait before putting the plants back in the tank?
>>
>>2455285
It's a joke
>>
>>2455361
If you want to be extra sure, fill it with brine for a few days.

Fill it up with water and pour in as much salt (no iodine or other additives!) as you're able to dissolve. Ich can't reproduce in salt water. When you're sure it's clean of parasites, just pour the brine out and wash it with regular water.
>>
>>2455367
But there are people that unironically think that.
>>
>>2455369
None of whom have a deep enough interest in fish to visit a fish thread on a pet board on a chinese cartoon site.
>>
>>2455369
>There are people who might take a joke seriously, so don't you EVER joke again in your life mister!
>>
>>2455368
How should I deal with the live plants? I've had them just sitting in water for about a week and a half now.
>>
File: 20170813_150618.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_150618.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Two questions, first what is going on with this tetras head. There is a pinkish orange spot in his head. He doesn't seem as healthy as the other tetra, he's a lot more skittish
>>
File: 20170813_151551.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_151551.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455387
And second, how can I tell if my Java ferns need more or less light? Right now I am using a marineland LED light that came with the 10g kit. I can't find any specs on it.
Right now I have my timer set for 7 hrs a day but my plants still don't look too hot. The windelov has some black parts on it and the other one has some dark green tips and slight yellowing all over. I have noticed a small amount of growth in both plants though.
>>
File: 20170813_151933.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_151933.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455394
here's a close up of the tips. Thanks guys sorry for the wall of text
>>
>>2455394
The black on the windelov could be reproducing, java ferns are indestructible.
>>
>>2455387
pink bit's totally normal, so no reason to worry about that
>>
Found some really neat dark blue/black rocks that used to be a part of a pathway on our property
I washed them off and they're currently sitting in a five gallon bucket full of water
If I leave them in direct sunlight for a day would that be good enough or should I definitely boil them?
I'd rather not potentially ruin any pots
>>
File: IMG_1224.png (865KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1224.png
865KB, 750x1334px
So about a month ago I bought a snail randomly for my 3g planted tank but it ended up being too big and was disturbing the substrate uprooting shit. So I tossed him in my 65 but then he started fucking with my convicts caves so I threw him in my 20g sump full of bacteria. I had previously actually just stopped using my sump because my overflow failed and I switched to HOB. So my sump was room temperature prob 72~80° full of dirty old bacteria. Yesterday I did a complete overhaul on my 65 and added completely nee decor and plastic shit. Pic related. So to my surprise this snail fucker was still alive, covered in bacteria but fucking alive. So I'm like damn hardy little fucker. Tossed him in my main tank since I figured I owed it to him after the hell I put him through. The fucker went and died on my. My 10 convicts and firemouth are all chillin and he just goes and dies. The fuck happened?

Sorry for screenshot too lazy to post on computer.
>>
>>2455475
Always boil when possible
>>
>>2455475
boiling is entirely unnecessary unless they came out of a river or lake.
>>
>>2455512
>>2455513
I picked them off the ground, theyve been in direct sunlight all summer long
one of them damn near left a burn mark on my arm from carrying them
so I guess that makes them sufficiently baked then?
>>
>>2455516
there's nothing that lives in your yard that's going to infect your tank that doesn't also live in the air and under your fingernails and is going to infect your tank.

unless you got piranhas living under rocks or ich infecting your trees there's never any reason to bleach, bake, boil, irradiate, or otherwise sterilize anything that goes from dry land into your tank.

all those bacteria and algae and fungi? Yeah, they're already in your tank.
>>
File: Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg (82KB, 600x422px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal-Red-Shrimp.jpg
82KB, 600x422px
>>2452011
>>2452013
Yes, there is a good chance you'll still need a heater. Water temperature can be cooler than the room around it, mainly due to evaporation
>>
>>2455407
>>2455469
Thanks a bunch dude(s)
>>
>>2455531
the room I'm keeping my tank in is Air Conditioned
not terribly chilly but probably cooler than the the tropical fish I want would prefer
>>
File: 20170813_172213.jpg (1MB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_172213.jpg
1MB, 1728x1152px
Got my rocks in, now it's time for plants. Keeping it easy to probably java ferns and java moss. Maybe an anubia or two. Recommendations welcome though.

Also should I add them in before I start cycling or is just whenever?
>>
>>2455581
You can add plants whenever
>>
So I've got a mostly full .42oz container of omega one Betta flakes my aunt dumped on me

Is this enough to cycle a 10g? If not I've also got a full 9oz can of wardley shrimp pellets
>>
>>2455598
That should be plenty
>>
>>2455475
>>2455512
>>2455516
For God's sake, DO. NOT. BOIL. FUCKING. ROCKS.
Never.
Rocks can have air pockets inside them, and when boiled, they can literally explode because of the pressure building up inside them. They can be extremely dangerous.
Just pour boiling water on them instead of letting them sit in it.
>>
>>2455581
Whenever, but I'd advice on adding them now as plants will actually help and quicken the nitrogen cycle.
>>
>>2451463
Which is a fish
>>
>>2455715
90% of the time just a good scrub with a strong brush and rinse in warm water is perfectly fine
there's not going to be anything deadly on most rocks
>>
File: IMG_3214.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3214.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455052
Even running all night the filter has done little to ease the murkiness, though I did add a rock in and move the dirt around a bit
I think a water change might be in order, ten putting new water in much more carefully after I've landscaped a bit and maybe added some plants in
I need to adjust the gravel a bit but it's difficult when I can't see anything
>>
>>2455736
I've emptied the majority of the tank except for a small bit just to keep the substrate wet (it says on the bag not to let it dry out
I'll probably leave it like this with the filter off and plant plants before filling it all the way again
>>
File: 1493262204464.jpg (40KB, 600x798px) Image search: [Google]
1493262204464.jpg
40KB, 600x798px
>>2455052
>>2455736
lol
>>
would getting one of dem small moss balls be okay to put with a betta ?
>>
>>2455795
Ye
>>
Will my plants be troubled by cool water? I bought new ones but have no heater for my tank yet
>>
File: IMG_3215.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3215.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2455771
Ok the cloudiness has improved after draining and planting
I've never had a planted tank before though and I'm unsure if I planted them right
>>
>>2455941
Most plants like to be around 25 celcius
>>
>>2455977
well I think they will be fine for tonight at least
I can pick up a heater tomorrow or latter in the week
>>
>>2455978
Just remember that a thermometer might be more valuable than a heater.
Every climate and room temperature is different, and just guessing that your tank is not warm enough isn't enough. Go ahead and get a heater because it will be necessary for the winter, but your summer might be hot enough already. Install a thermometer so you know for sure and don't end up boiling your tank.
>>
>>2455997
I'd get both
I just don't have either atm
the plants won't die in one night even if my room is a bit chilly from the AC
>>
>>2456000
Yeah, they'll be fine.
>>
Is there a place other than aquabid that I can sell my excess stuff at?
>>
File: 1489633058916.jpg (88KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1489633058916.jpg
88KB, 720x960px
>>2455965
You either didn't wash the substrate properly or poured the water in too fast when you filled it the first time. I made the same mistake on my 10 gallon when I first attempted planted tanks. Shit was cloudy for a week+. Of course I was retarded and thought mixing my dirt with my cap would be a good idea. Can't really tell from your picture but doesn't look like you used a cap. If you had poured a small amount of sand over your soil it would have prevented the cloudiness. Hence the reason they call it the, "cap"
>>
>>2456037
I didn't
I washed the substrate for close to two hours but it was still a bit cloudy so I gave up
I poured water in much slower the second time and used my hand to dissipate which helped a lot
>>
My friend didn't want to take care of his tank anymore and gave me his. One of the fish he gave me is a gold dwarf gourami, and he's a huge asshole. He's chasing the other fish around aggressively and constantly. What can I do about him? Will he eventually calm down and act peacefully with the others? The tank I have now is 40 gallons, I don't really want to buy another tank...
>>
>>2456120
Correction: my friend gave me his fish, not the tank
>>
File: 1412352918783.jpg (10KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1412352918783.jpg
10KB, 251x242px
>every single fish store around me is saltwater only

fucking why

i dont want to buy my fish from walmart and id rather not get fish online either
>>
>>2456127
I have the same problem. It's all the dentist's offices that keep all the salt water places in business.
>>
>>2456120
Give him the toilet treatment.
>>
>>2456147
I got fed up and chased him down with a net and held him outside the water for a minute. Seems to have spooked him quite a bit, now he's hiding in the corner like a little baby. Hopefully he gets the message and stops bullying the smaller fish. If not, I'll dump him in the pond out back.
>>
>>2456127
Just buy a poor Walmart oscar and nurse it back to health
>>
>>2456150
Gotta set an example. Take out the bully another will take his place. Gotta give him a quick dip in the toilet to show em who's boss.
>>
>>2456120
You can break up his line of sight with a metric fuckton of tall plants, real or fake. If that isn't an option or doesn't help, just get rid of him because he won't get any less aggressive.
>>
If I left marimo out of water in the dark for weeks is it dead? it looks the exact same
>>
>>2456185
Was it wet? Moss doesn't necessarily need to be underwater to survive, but it needs to be at least wet.
>>
File: IMG_20170815_025630.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_025630.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
What do you guys think of freshwater deep sand beds?

>http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb.html

>5. If you can, get a sample of sand from an established freshwater DSB or planted tank with a sand bed. Spread it across and stir it into the sand bed. This introduces a diverse bacteria to the budding biofilter.

I want to try it out in a 60l tank, but do you think sand from a normal planted tank is good enough or do I need to inoculate the sand bed.

>Pic related, my tank
>>
>>2456120
Damn. He is truly an asshole if he's still aggressive in a 40G.

See if a LFS will take him off your hands. You may be able to get store credit.
>>
>>2456185
If it looks the same it's fine. If it were truly dead it would be brown.

I'm very surprised it's fine after weeks though. Those fuckers are hardier than I thought I guess.
>>
File: 01(1).gif (84KB, 800x631px) Image search: [Google]
01(1).gif
84KB, 800x631px
>>2456386
Sand bed chart, very interesting
>>
>>2456386
>http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_7/volume_7_1/dsb.html
Interesting but the problem I immediately see is that it releases sulfates into the water column, which lowers your pH. It could lower your pH to a level that is not particularly good for a wide variety of fish.

On the other hand it would be an excellent way for me to keep some of the fish I've been looking at but my natural tap pH of 7.4 makes inconvenient.
>>
>>2455360
>my water is always perfect for my angelfish and tetras at 6.2
>6.2
Damn that is pretty fucking low. Natural tap pH of 7.4 here.

I would actually not mind a natural tap pH of 6.2. It would allow me to keep certain fish and plants that I've been interested in much more easily.
>>
>>2456391
Do you think the plants will take up the sulfate and fixate it within them when they grow?
>>
I started up a 10 gallon tank. Planning on getting 6 glofish tetras, but the dude at the pet store suggested starting with just 3 at a time, and get the rest in a week, just in case my water's poison and I don't blow a ton of money on these expensive little fuckers.

Problem is, since these fish are schoolers, 2 of the slightly larger ones are picking on the little guy. He hides behind the decor in a corner, only coming out to eat or to shoo away the other fish from his turf. He's basically a hikki neet. Will he get picked on less if I get more of them?

On a side note, I hope I get algae growing soon so I can put some amano shrimp in there.
>>
is it possible to have a high light planted tank and not have to fertilize more than once a week?

I want to grow lots of plants but I leave town pretty often and can't be there for it every day
>>
>>2456423
what about automated dosing?
>>
>>2456185
marimo are an algae aren't they? and I have seen them sold in what looked like dry packaging, maybe they can go dormant a while?
>>
I just acquired a 50 gallon tank (4 feet long, foot and a half tall), and I want to aquascape it.

My idea is to either have a large mountain/waterfall on one side, with the 'tank' on the other, or have two level islands on either side, with the water in the middle.

I'm going to have to make a lid for it, but I would like to have both fish and some sort of land animal. Is this possible? And should I be asking in the herp thread as well? I mean, I assume that frogs might be my only bet, short of some small lizard, or maybe insects.
>>
>>2456521
Something like this is what I have in mind, but with more space for the fish down below, with the land being not too high up out of the water, or maybe suction cupping/glue some wood and/or rocks onto the back wall to add some extra walking room for the land animal.
>>
>>2456398
>Will he get picked on less if I get more of them?
depends on if they are females or males
>I hope I get algae growing soon
said literally no one ever
>glofish
kys. flush em and buy some neon tetras
>>
File: 560.jpg (200KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
560.jpg
200KB, 500x339px
>>2456528
derp, of course I forgot the picture
>>
>>2456528
I'd suggest going for animals that can live both on land and water and are easy to keep. Look at crabs, frogs and turtles. If you can manage those and you think you've done enough research, you can start looking into reptiles.
>>
>>2456528
>>2456521
>>2456531
Paludariums are cool af. You are probably mostly right that frogs are about your only option. Frogs might eat fish, depending on size and species. You might also look into crabs of various kinds, many of them need to be able to get out of the water as well. Certain small lizards might be possible without having to do a lot of work setting it up (see below). I dunno anything about keeping insects, but if they are an interest of yours I'm sure you could ask in their general thread for advice on what you could keep in what will likely be a humid tank with accessible open water.

I have another idea that'd be way more work to set up and maintain and involve a ton of research but I'm not prepared to stand by the validity (the idea is setting up a shelf that stretches half the tank or more, with the water extending underneath it like it's a cave, to create enough dry land above for a reptile of some kind).

You'd likely need a larger tank than you have for even the smaller turtle species to have room (since you'd need to make part of the tank entirely inaccessible to them or they will eat all your fish) and turtles are messy and need a boatload of filtration as it is.

tl;dr - Depending on what you actually would like to keep you might end up having to use some sort of barrier to completely prevent the land-dweller(s) from getting to the water, for the safety of one or both sides of the enclosure.
>>
>>2456539
Are there any freshwater crabs, by chance?

I'm guessing not, but I am looking at frogs and salamanders right now.
>>2456543
Yea, I think I'm leaning towards frogs, though bugs would also be pretty cool. I was thinking of trying a sponge filter with the output pipe stretching all the way to the other side of the tank, and either reducing the flow on that side, or putting a cap on it, and then drilling very small holes throughout the length of the pipe, so that it is constantly misting or raining water on the land as the water is being filtered. I figure if I can pull that off correctly, it will provide a good, moist, environment while also feeding the moss.
>>
>>2456549
>Are there any freshwater crabs, by chance?
Of course there are, tones, and they are cute AF.
Beware that some species are brackish though. Gotta look into that.
>>
>>2456555
tons*
>>
>>2456555
Now I want to do a brackish or even a saltwater paludarium (TIDEPOOL TANK) but money, etc.

That said, if he went for brackish, then he just has to go for brackish fish. There are always mollies.
>>
>>2456555
Ah, it would have to be purely freshwater, I don't want to be messing around with mixing the salt. But I'll look into that.

I want a fiddler crab tank until I found out they were brackish, but they are so fucking cute.
>>
>>2456559
>TIDEPOOL TANK
That sounds awesome.
>>
>>2456398
The only common situation I can think of that adding more fish would solve aggression problems would be in cases of male:female ratio (for instance mollies tend to be suggested one male per two females), but I don't think that applies to tetras.
>>
>>2456395
Well someone has obviously done way more research on this than I have, so who knows? It could all work out.

In general though any kind of self-sustaining system tends to require a shit ton of plants, way more than people expect.
>>
>>2456569
There are also Cichlids, where you introduce a bunch at once to spread out the aggression.

>>2456567
I'm suprised I can't seem to find any pictures of something like it, honestly.
>>
>>2456575
>There are also Cichlids, where you introduce a bunch at once to spread out the aggression.
Ah that makes sense.
>>
>>2456531
So talking with the bug guys, and the herp guys, I think I'm starting to form a plan here.

I think I can make some Madagascar hissing cockroaches, a firebelly newt or two, and some nice fish on the bottom work.

I have a river near by that I can get some nice rocks from, and build a nice back wall, and probably two islands, and I'm thinking a custom sponge filter that drips all the way across the tank to provide humidity on the land as well as filter the water.

Should I look into the King of DIY vids to learn how to glue things properly? Or can I get away with some clever stacking, and maybe suction cups?
>>
>>2456590
I would look into glue, and maybe using PVC to build frames for the scape. The more research the better. Look at guides on 3d backgrounds and paludariums in general.
>>
Has anybody here kept balloon mollys? I just bought one for my community tank.
>>
>>2456666
It depends on what you're keeping them with.
Mollies tend to be quite stroppy with their own kind as well as slightly larger fish such as Pearl Gouramis
>>
got this red plant yesterday (idk what it is) but its looking a bit brown today
is it sick? the water is fresh so I havent added any fertilizer or anything and there are no fish yet, I was hoping the plants would survive at least for a day or two until I can head to the fish shop again
>>
do I really need CO2 in my tank for the plants?
I don't care if they don't grow as fast, I don't want to smother my fish or something
>>
>>2456788
not for most plants no

>>2456786
assuming the water is conditioned it should bounce back, was it underwater at the store?
>>
>>2456806
never mind apparently the tops of the leaves are supposed to be brownish
>>
my tank >>2455965
I'm unsure if its even worth waiting a month+ to cycle
I've owned large tanks in the past but I've heard a small tank like this under 10 gallons likely wont ever cycle properly
I may get an additional plant for the back to obscure the filter a bit which should also relive some of the pressure of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate buildup
I think the tank is 3 gallons? but I'm unsure exactly since everything is in Chinese
I've read that 50% water changes 2x a week would be needed but that seems really harsh on the fish
>>
>>2456829
its 13L
I'm not sure what that is in gallons
maybe 3.5?
I think 10 is a gallon
>>
Are cory catfish supposed to be really spastic and hyperactive? Theyre swimming to the surface and back down really fast and theyve been doing this for hours...

I've only ever kept calmer fish so I'm not sure if this is normal.
>>
>>2456829
Just use some filter media/gravel/rocks from your other tanks to kickstart its cycle then do a few tests and you should be able to stock it in just a few days.
>>
>>2456864
>swimming to the surface and back down really fast
Could be nothing or could be that they are actually trying to jump out of the tank because they feel that the environment is dangerous to them.
Tank mates? Water parameters?
>>
>>2456868
>Tank mates?

2 guppies and a dwarf gourami

>Water parameters?

Everything at 0
>>
>>2456864
cory cats come up for air
>>
>>2456864
>>2456885
i mean they have a labyrinth organ so they must come to the surface every so often for a breath of fresh air. they still have gills, but they require atmospheric oxygen to survive.
>>
>>2456394
My tap is 7.2
The quartz (and probably some help from my driftwood) brings it down to 6.2.
>>
>>2454506
Just did a 50% water change and tested the water. Nitrites are at 0.5-1.0 mg/l. Seems pretty good. I'll do another test tomorrow and I'll probably be ready to introduce fish by Monday.
>>
>>2455581

those are weird fishes
>>
File: IMG_1796.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1796.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Anyone know what type of coral this is? Got it for free from my lfs and they didn't know
>>
>>2456867
I don't have any other tanks here
>>
Anyone keep paradise fish? If I get one as a centerpiece do they get along with other fish?
Its a 10g so Im sure I could do that and some corys, but are there any other options?
>>
>>2457465
Reading the SF page, they seem like they'd have basically the same tankmate compat as any other dwarf gourami or a betta; nothing flashy, long-finned, or nippy. A small school of some sort of passive barb or rasboras or danios would probably be fine, although in a ten gallon I'm not sure you really have space to do both that and a cory school, so I'd choose one or the other. If you ditch the cory cats you can always throw in snails for a substrate feeder even with the other fish. I've heard gouramis sometimes murder snails but if there's enough shelter I think they'd maintain a population.
Thread posts: 347
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.